PDA

View Full Version : Usector....On the fan right now

Bluenose13
08-06-2008, 09:50 AM
Talking about the Argos @ BMO

http://www.fan590.com/

Bluenose13
08-06-2008, 09:56 AM
Rudi did a great job putting Toth in his place & keeping it respectful........Good interview,well done Rudi.

RealG-TFC
08-06-2008, 09:58 AM
so its over?

Stryker
08-06-2008, 09:59 AM
Better be a telephone interview or they can kiss any green carpeting in the building goodbye. :D

Roogsy
08-06-2008, 10:00 AM
DAMN FIREWALL!

I can't do streaming at work.

If anyone knows how to get around a firewall...let me know.

Bluenose13
08-06-2008, 10:05 AM
^^It's done, hopefully they will archive it so all can hear it.

Toth said he was being tounge & cheek about the "drunk fans with fake british accent" comment.

He said he recieved tons of hate emails swearing at him.

Velvet Elvis
08-06-2008, 10:05 AM
Did anyone record it ... or do they post it later today?

billyfly
08-06-2008, 10:06 AM
so what was said? Recap pls

ilikemusic
08-06-2008, 10:12 AM
Toth said he was being tounge & cheek about the "drunk fans with fake british accent" comment.

He said he recieved tons of hate emails swearing at him.

classy.

And of course he was being facetious. Ill bet when he said the 'drunk fans with fake accents' line he was putting on his 'well when I was a kid...' voice.

I doubt this experience has turned him onto soccer anymore at all.

Im also wary of the Fan giving the SG's a public medium to get whatever their message may be across. I dont like having a 'representative of Toronto FC fans' speaking for everyone.

Boris
08-06-2008, 10:18 AM
classy.

And of course he was being facetious. Ill bet when he said the 'drunk fans with fake accents' line he was putting on his 'well when I was a kid...' voice.

Im also wary of the Fan giving the SG's a public medium to get whatever their message may be across. I dont like having a 'representative of Toronto FC fans' speaking for everyone.

said person would represent said Sg...not fans...

Roogsy
08-06-2008, 10:22 AM

Was anything going to?

Somebody has to speak up. Who do you propose it be? Jack does it at times. Mike did it last year. And Rudi has always spoken on behalf of Usector. Pedro does it for NEE. And all in all, these guys have always represented the SG interests well. I certainly don't see a problem. It's not like we still don't have a voice...emails and comments always get through from the individuals. But at times you need one voice that represents a group of people.

TFC Tifoso
08-06-2008, 10:23 AM
classy.

So do you rather suggest the Fan has 2000 TFC supporters on air to have each voice heard individually? :rolleyes:

Carter
08-06-2008, 10:25 AM
http://www.fan590.com/media.jsp?content=20080806_105634_8804

Parkdale
08-06-2008, 10:26 AM
As far as I'm concerned, Rudi and I (and many many others) share the same opinion on the subject, and I wouldn't feel misrepresented if he was speaking on my behalf.

Stryker
08-06-2008, 10:29 AM
http://www.fan590.com/media.jsp?content=20080806_105634_8804

Sexcellent! Thanks Carter. *tips hat*

olegunnar
08-06-2008, 10:30 AM
said person would represent said Sg...not fans...

Exactly

There's a difference between supporter and fan. You want to be a fan? Great, call your ticket rep with your complaints and be an army of one.

As president of a supporter's group he's entitled to be the spokesperson for his group.

Bluenose13
08-06-2008, 10:30 AM
As far as I'm concerned, Rudi and I (and many many others) share the same opinion on the subject, and I wouldn't feel misrepresented if he was speaking on my behalf.Yeah I agree & he stayed composed all the way through the interview & represented Usector & all supporters with class.

Stryker
08-06-2008, 10:39 AM
Anyone else notice Toth quoting himself on the throwing beer and fake accents bit a number of times?
He seems to think himself quite clever.
Douche.

billyfly
08-06-2008, 10:41 AM
Just heard the interview and I think Rudi did a fine job. Mike Toth was backtracking a little for sure especially in that he referred to chants as "hate songs" in his original tirade (correct me if i'm wrong) and during this interview he said "fight songs". Bit of a difference....

Also, I would have mentioned and explained behaviour at BMO by stating that in any area with 20,000 people, you are going to have idiots.

Puskas
08-06-2008, 10:41 AM
Sexcellent! Thanks Carter. *tips hat*

Is that a GWAR reference???

Jack
08-06-2008, 10:44 AM
Funny...they called me too, but I couldn't make it due to work.

Good thing Rudi was able to go to give a voice to supporters.

Roogsy
08-06-2008, 10:51 AM
I wish Rudi would have made it clear that this was not an anti-Argos position on the part of the supporters but a desire to keep BMO Field soccer-specific.

As for answering the part about using the tax-funded field, Toth is COMPLETELY overlooking the fact that when the field is not being used by TFC, it is being used by the community. Hence the desire of the city to keep the Field Turf so that the citizens continue to use it in the summer and winter. Otherwise, we would have been using grass this whole time. So that answers the whole "it's paid by the tax-payers" issue since it is the tax-payers that are using it!!!

Jack
08-06-2008, 10:55 AM
Sometimes you don't get to say everything you want. The interviewers are really good at directing you with their questions.

Roogsy
08-06-2008, 10:56 AM
I know...the dude got all of 5 seconds to answer each question. Probably a total of 30 seconds in all.

nobodybeatsthewiz
08-06-2008, 11:16 AM
^ are you KIDDING me?! mccown respects nobody but himself. i know someone who works at the rogers studio (produces for the fan, chfi, etc) and said mccown actually lets it be known for other employees not to approach him if they were to say, see him walking in the halls.

yellowfellow
08-06-2008, 11:23 AM
Well done, Rudi.

Toth's voice is really annoying...

billyfly
08-06-2008, 11:24 AM
Although I enjoy Prime Time and McCown it is quite evident that he is not super out-going and friendly. This is by his own admission and by the constant "joking" of co-hosts etc of "Lord McCown".

adampz
08-06-2008, 11:27 AM
The co-founder of one of TFC's most prominent cheering sections joins The Bullpen to contend with Toth's opinions on BMO Field's capabilities as a multi-use facility, and discusses the so-called "hooliganism" at the stadium.

- I love how they call it a cheering section.

MisterMacphisto
08-06-2008, 11:44 AM
Sometimes you don't get to say everything you want. The interviewers are really good at directing you with their questions.

I've been on radio interviews before, and they are kind of surreal and nerve-racking if you don't do them regularly. All interviewers have done a great job of keeping composure and communicating.

I do strongly think that supporters leaders need to get together and /or communicate to get the issued distinctly listed and create a FAQ if you will, so that major issues / answers flow off the tongue.

In the past two instances of interviews, I was a little disappointed that the issue of BMO probably never getting real grass if the CFL moves in, was never brought up. So far, what's been presented to the media is almost that, we just wouldn't like it and it will hurt our pride. We need a list of specific, tangible issues and have them on the ready to answer to anyone, like Rudi mentioned lines on the pitch. Example:

- Will most likely have football lines on pitch. Looks very amertuerish. Bad for TV ratings. How would the CFL fans like soccer lines on their pitch
- Will probably never get real grass if CFL plays at BMO
- Canadian Men's National Team doesn't want to play here because of field turf
- We've lost a lot of potential players because of field turf
- MLS have said they are against it... Soccer specific was a requirement. Will we lose ability to hold MLS final before 2012 as planned
- Others....

Since we don't have a professional PR person, we need to have points 1, 2, 3, 4 etc.. in order of importance, and have them at the ready.

My 2¢.

nobodybeatsthewiz
08-06-2008, 11:46 AM
i thought rudi did quite well, especially considering what jack said about the host (2 in this case) directing the flow of the conversation.

Roogsy
08-06-2008, 11:48 AM
I've been on radio interviews before, and they are kind of surreal and nerve-racking if you don't do them regularly. All interviewers have done a great job of keeping composure and communicating.

I do strongly think that supporters leaders need to get together and /or communicate to get the issued distinctly listed and create a FAQ if you will, so that major issues / answers flow off the tongue.

In the past two instances of interviews, I was a little disappointed that the issue of BMO probably never getting real grass if the CFL moves in, was never brought up. So far, what's been presented to the media is almost that, we just wouldn't like it and it will hurt our pride. We need a list of specific, tangible issues and have them on the ready to answer to anyone, like Rudi mentioned lines on the pitch. Example:

- Will most likely have football lines on pitch. Looks very amertuerish. Bad for TV ratings. How would the CFL fans like soccer lines on their pitch
- Will probably never get real grass if CFL plays at BMO
- Canadian Men's National Team doesn't want to play here because of field turf
- We've lost a lot of potential players because of field turf
- MLS have said they are against it... Soccer specific was a requirement. Will we lose ability to hold MLS final before 2012 as planned
- Others....

Since we don't have a professional PR person, we need to have points 1, 2, 3, 4 etc.. in order of importance, and have them at the ready.

My 2¢.

^What he said.

I am all for more of these interviews to be done. I don't think any of the SG's need to shy away from them. It helps get the message out.

Rudi, Jack and Pedro need to keep plugging away at these douchebags and as they do, they will get better at handling them on the air.

Jack
08-06-2008, 11:51 AM
I definitely mentioned the grass issue in my email to Ryan Johnston, but he just didn't quote that part.

Here's the full quote:

...So we want to be represented. We want to be respected. We have given our passion, our voices, our money and our dedication to Toronto FC and to soccer in Toronto and in Canada. The National Soccer Stadium, also known as BMO Field, is in danger. We have already seen that the men's national team does not want to play on the surface there and any talk of bringing in the CFL will kill any chance of natural grass ever making an appearance there. Pretty shameful that our National Soccer Stadium, paid for by the people of Canada, is not used to showcase our national team, who instead choose to play their important matches in Stade Saputo, a privately owned facility. Never mind that, as supporters of TFC, we would pretty much lose out on many future opportunities to see top class players here, as many have expressed their concerns over the playing surface, founded or not though they may be....

MisterMacphisto
08-06-2008, 12:03 PM
I definitely mentioned the grass issue in my email to Ryan Johnston, but he just didn't quote that part.

Here's the full quote:

Well done. Unfortunately, reporters are notorious for selectively leaving out parts of quotes, or for misquoting as well. Especially when they've got an idea for a story, and leaving out a certain bit of information to support their idea.

Once a national newspaper interviewed me for a story that Canadian Mac users were mad at Apple. The interview was about 10 minutes long, and I repeatedly said I didn't think that was the case and how Apple was opening more stores in Canada etc... I said one little comment about having to wait for the iTunes store to come to Canada. Which do you think was used, and what do you think was left out. :rolleyes:

AL-MO
08-06-2008, 12:08 PM
Good job Rudi.

juki
08-06-2008, 12:09 PM
NO FUCKING COMPROMISE!!!! the intimacy is secondary the first point is those awful lines. Second point is give soccer the respect it needs.

What fucking hooliganism are these idiots talking about???

Did you guys noticed how they cut him off at the moment he mentioned the blue jays...

BuSaPuNk
08-06-2008, 12:15 PM
Jack ever give any thought to having a complete press release on the issue and the views that we are trying to put across with the leaders of all the supporters groups? After that interview on the Fan it almost seemed like they think there only talking about a few people or something. They need to see the total scope of the issue and the people that are being affected by these rumors.

Jack
08-06-2008, 12:19 PM
Jack ever give any thought to having a complete press release on the issue and the views that we are trying to put across with the leaders of all the supporters groups? After that interview on the Fan it almost seemed like they think there only talking about a few people or something. They need to see the total scope of the issue and the people that are being affected by these rumors.

We have several things on the go, including that.

BuSaPuNk
08-06-2008, 12:23 PM
Yeah I would have thought that something like this would have been on the go. I'm just thinking of some other options that we can use to further our views.

Loyal
08-06-2008, 03:11 PM
Will the Argos ticketholders get a voice in any proposed move?
I wouldn't think most want to battle the elements for a Stadium less impressive than any CFL park.
We may hear there voices soon!

AL-MO
08-06-2008, 03:21 PM
Will the Argos ticketholders get a voice in any proposed move?
I wouldn't think most want to battle the elements for a Stadium less impressive than any CFL park.
We may hear there voices soon!

battle the elements? The season starts in July. The only issue would be playoff games, but wear a fucking coat and you'll be fine.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
08-06-2008, 03:25 PM
nice interview..hats off rudi!!

I was hoping he would of brought up the turf issue.....

Any chance of CMNT playing more games in the future would depend on REAL GRASS..something that would have to keep the argos out for sure....

Im sure there was a ton of other things he wanted to bring up... not enough time

well done

james
08-06-2008, 04:56 PM
he did a pretty good job. Id just wish have mentioned that if the Argos come to play at BMO field then that means BMO field will have to have turf forever and the fact that the Mens National Team already have said they do not like to play at BMO field because of the turf. And maybe mention a bit more on how bad the field would look with CFL lines all over the field when TFC play.

Sonny Cheeba
08-06-2008, 06:07 PM
someone needs to tell the to stop referring to TFC as just "FC" . makes me sick.... anyways. overall i thought he did a good job of answering their questions, but it sounded like he needed to write down some main points to make sure to get them out there. i mean he was asked what the big deal was and got a couple of points accross: taxpayers paying for a SSS and not a multi use facility, lines on the field, added costs. but based on what i've been reading for the last few weeks on here there are other issues that people consider to be important.

so.

i like that idea up there about a type of FAQ in which there are points agreed upon that can be displayed for people to better understand rather than fishing through forums, websites, and radio programs.

Cashcleaner
08-07-2008, 06:46 AM
Good interview, though I'd like to comment on a remark Toth made about venue-sharing.

Personally, I couldn't agree more with the ridiculousness of having multiple sports teams playing in their own half-empty arenas or stadia just a few miles down the road from each other. Toth (or was it Hogan?) made an excellent point about the Marlies and St. Mike's Majors and Brampton battalion all playing at their own venues in relatively close proximity to each other. Why do we allow municipalities or other levels of government chip in for the cost of these mulitple venues? People have to realise that these buildings don't simply grow on trees, and the cost of a new publically-funded arena or stadium can easily pay for a new school or hospital ward. I'm not saying that it's not always a good investment on the behalf of the government, but it certainly doesn't seem like people are taking into account the real costs involved.

As for the issue at hand with BMO Field and the Argos, I think I've made my argument well-known that I wouldn't have any issue with the Argonauts coming to our stadium provided that it does not hinder our enjoy of TFC matches. And according to a poll I've posted over at Big Soccer a few months back, most people there (both supporters and unaffiliated fans) agreed that they don't really care with the prospect of groundsharing at all as long as our atmosphere and enjoyment is unchanged for TFC matches.

Now with that all said, I think it should be acknowledged that we do technically groundshare with the CSA, OSA, and a multitude of local groups. I think that Toth and others are forgetting the fact that BMO Field has a schedule packed with local youth and adult league games outside of Toronto FC matches, and that a move by the Argonauts would jepeordise those operations as well.