PDA

View Full Version : In Yeferson We Trust ...

Red CB Toronto
04-25-2021, 06:07 PM
Having watched this highlight video of Yeferson in action, what stands out for me is that he is insanely proficient at creating space for himself. Also whenever he makes a move and forces a defender to commit, they invariably overcommit because they are used to playing against taller opponents and then crack goes their ankles. His moves with the ball on his feet are jaw dropping, so how the heck is this guy not in Europe? Man, looking forward to seeing this lad in action at BMO Field, when we can all go back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCtj4CpowzI

Red CB Toronto
04-25-2021, 06:22 PM
The day he earned Messi's respect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqqRIzKJ91I

MikeForbes
04-25-2021, 07:05 PM
MLS Rightbacks are going to be seeing Yefe in their nightmares.

Initial B
04-25-2021, 08:43 PM
His moves remind me of Seba slaloming through defenders. MLS opponents will have to remember how they defended against him...

OgtheDim
04-25-2021, 09:10 PM
I would pump the brakes about an immediate impact.

I recall Seba taking a few games to get into his stride - no goals until the 4th - really shone from the 5th game, the lightning delayed game in Dallas.

Red CB Toronto
04-25-2021, 09:36 PM

I recall Seba taking a few games to get into his stride - no goals until the 4th - really shone from the 5th game, the lightning delayed game in Dallas.

Absolutely, familiarity will have to be developed on the training pitch. He and Jozy could really compliment each other similar to what we saw when Seba was here. But the right service will have to come and it will take time.

portu
04-25-2021, 10:27 PM

Also worth keeping in mind that Yefe has never put up big numbers in his career (best: 10 goals in 2019). I’m not sure he’s going to be scoring goals, but he’s certainly going to make a difference.

Smokecell
04-26-2021, 07:19 AM
Also worth keeping in mind that Yefe has never put up big numbers in his career (best: 10 goals in 2019). I’m not sure he’s going to be scoring goals, but he’s certainly going to make a difference.

Same was said about Pozo and something about MLS had him finding the back of the net with regularity. I could see Yefe having an uptick here.

East Coast Red
04-26-2021, 07:54 AM

Haven't double checked the stats so just going from memory, but didn't Seba have 2 assists on debut against the Whitecaps?

MikeForbes
04-26-2021, 08:09 AM
Announce Soteldo.

Mike_S
04-26-2021, 08:24 AM

He did leave Laba in the dust before feeding Jozy for a goal in his first game though. ;-)

Joe Kool
04-26-2021, 08:26 AM
Noticed in that highlight reel he pulled off a panenka PK....I wonder who we know that likes to do that from time to time...

Rust
04-26-2021, 11:45 AM
I think he will make an immediate impact. He was playing in a high level for Santos, surely he can keep at it in MLS.

Greatest Ripoff
04-26-2021, 12:50 PM
I am guessing he won’t be available for a month or so this summer due to the Copa America?

ag futbol
04-26-2021, 01:24 PM
I am guessing he won’t be available for a month or so this summer due to the Copa America?

Edit: whoops, misread that. Good call, he does sound like a full international player for country. Which is actually quite interesting. The last time we had someone similar to this, it was Julio Cesar.

ensco
04-26-2021, 01:54 PM
What if they aren't announcing him because.... he's got a quarantine exemption, he's available for selection tomorrow, and they don't want Cruz Azul to know?

:drinking:

Smokecell
04-26-2021, 02:28 PM
^ Would be a pretty tight turnaround for the ITC to come through, no?

Would be something if he came straight from the plane to check in late and 'stir the pot' ;)

ManUtd4ever
04-26-2021, 02:45 PM
He has the potential to be a MVP in MLS. Can't wait to see him on the pitch.

Mikmacdo
04-26-2021, 02:57 PM

But pozuelos debut was incredible so who knows.

OgtheDim
04-26-2021, 03:44 PM
This looks AWFULLY familiar

https://twitter.com/TheLibertadores/status/1371978876562382851

ensco
04-26-2021, 03:47 PM
^There really is something in his gait (the way he puffs his chest out arches his back) and of course his size... he really is Seba v2.0

FootBallAZ
04-26-2021, 03:54 PM
What if they aren't announcing him because.... he's got a quarantine exemption, he's available for selection tomorrow, and they don't want Cruz Azul to know?

:drinking:

“In the meantime, I want to wish the team all the best in the next Concacaf Champions League game against Cruz Azul.”

Doubtful.

Mavinga and poz should be good to go

rydermike
04-26-2021, 03:55 PM
Jersey #30 on TFC site

Jack
04-26-2021, 04:09 PM
Note the pronunciation of his name:
(https://youtu.be/vRNvoW05l1c)
vRNvoW05l1c

OgtheDim
04-26-2021, 04:17 PM
I heard

So teal doh

MikeForbes
04-26-2021, 04:22 PM
Gonna guess he makes his debut next Saturday against the Red Bulls.

leedsandTFC
04-26-2021, 04:23 PM

still young and developing though, and playing in a higher standard of league than MLS.

outrageously good DP signing, huge upgrade on piatti and will give us stability for a few years.

credit where it's due for manning and curtis.

Bushmancan
04-26-2021, 04:24 PM
Gonna guess he makes his debut next Saturday against the Red Bulls.

Actually if he isn't cup tied, it could be 2nd CCL game on May 4th in Mexico.

Red CB Toronto
04-26-2021, 04:55 PM
Are Brazilians not allowed to enter the US at all right now or is there a quarantine? What are they trying to get him an exemption from exactly?

OgtheDim
04-26-2021, 05:57 PM
FWIW, TFC "interview" article said this

Soteldo will join the side in Florida as soon as his international transfer certification clears and he passes quarantine protocols

East Coast Red
04-26-2021, 06:35 PM
^There really is something in his gait (the way he puffs his chest out arches his back) and of course his size... he really is Seba v2.0

He kinda reminds me of Maradonna in that way too. We'll see how good he is at punching the ball maybe.

Luanda
04-26-2021, 07:11 PM
His latest tweet shows him at the international terminal of SP Guarulhos airport.

Bushmancan
04-26-2021, 07:15 PM
Are Brazilians not allowed to enter the US at all right now or is there a quarantine? What are they trying to get him an exemption from exactly?

This is the USA, hate to be cynical but if you have money and influence, you get in the country. Key will be Negative Covid Test. Paragraph below from April 23 release. So getting him the country shouldn't be the issue. I think it will be more of MLS and our teams rules.

All international travellers must present a negative COVID-19 test result dated no more than 72 hours prior to departure. This includes U.S. citizens and permanent residents. In addition, masks are now required to be worn at airports, trains, public maritime vessels, intercity buses, and all forms of public transportation.

Most non-U.S. citizens will be prohibited from entering the country if they were recently in South Africa, the Schengen Area, the United Kingdom, Ireland, and Brazil during the 14- days before their arrival.

Whilst there are a number of exceptions, entry remains at the discretion of the U.S. Customs and Border Protection agency.

U.S. citizens or green card holders as well as their spouses, parents, minor children, and select others can enter the U.S. through authorized airports after having visited the above countries but must go through a health screening and present a negative COVID-19 test.

The U.S. borders with Mexico and Canada will remain closed until at least 21 May for non- essential movements, but air travel is still operating.

barticusz
04-26-2021, 09:57 PM
For those of you like me, who like to rely on video game ratings, Soteldo is a 79 in PES2021.
(https://www.pesmaster.com/y-soteldo/pes-2021/player/61643/)
Considering he is only 23, I don’t want to get too excited but this is looking positive. I sure hope he can deliver.

Greatest Ripoff
04-27-2021, 06:42 AM
For those who don’t listen, Tim Vickery spoke about him on the World Football Phone In last night.

-Possible reason he didn’t move to Europe; Venezuelans don’t have the same cache as a Brazilians or Argentines and due to his small size
-A player he really enjoyed watching and will be a great addition to MLS
-Right footed but is also very good with his left so he can dribble either way causing the defenders to guess which way he will go
-Really wanted to come to Toronto and MLS
-Santos needed to sell as they still hadn’t paid for him and were facing a transfer ban because of it

noxx98
04-27-2021, 06:14 PM
https://theathletic.com/2547278/2021/04/27/yeferson-soteldo-toronto-fc/

Kloke has a piece on our process of landing Soteldo. Highlights:
-His salary in Brazil was only $660,000/year. He is getting a big pay increase to come to TFC.
-TFC has been tracking him since 2018. TFC was able to do some in person scouting of him prior to the pandemic as well, which made the team more comfortable acquiring him
-With the pandemic making it nearly impossible to watch players in game, TFC management didn't want to introduce any new DP targets to their shortlist that they hadn't previously seen in person.
-At the end Kloke mentions that Soteldo was not TFC's primary DP target. Perhaps Borre was our first choice?
-People describe him as "fun", however he's a very serious player and meets everything that's expected of him.
-Kloke has some great analysis on his technical abilities, including videos so worth checking out.

ensco
04-27-2021, 08:16 PM

-His salary in Brazil was only $660,000/year. He is getting a big pay increase to come to TFC.
-TFC has been tracking him since 2018. TFC was able to do some in person scouting of him prior to the pandemic as well, which made the team more comfortable acquiring him
-With the pandemic making it nearly impossible to watch players in game, TFC management didn't want to introduce any new DP targets to their shortlist that they hadn't previously seen in person.
-At the end Kloke mentions that Soteldo was not TFC's primary DP target. Perhaps Borre was our first choice?
-People describe him as "fun", however he's a very serious player and meets everything that's expected of him.
-Kloke has some great analysis on his technical abilities, including videos so worth checking out.

Kloke has some good stuff here, but his heroic description of the TFC process ... omg... it has a lack of distance, shall we say.

MikeForbes
04-27-2021, 08:33 PM

I do think it is safe to say that Borré was option one.

noxx98
04-27-2021, 08:43 PM
I do think it is safe to say that Borré was option one.
KJ just confirmed on OneSoccer that the team's number one priority for the DP spot was a striker, so all signs point to Borre.

Smokecell
04-27-2021, 08:57 PM
OneSoccer mentioning 5 day quarantine for Yefe...according to the airport post maybe today counts as day 1?

OgtheDim
04-27-2021, 08:58 PM
KJ just confirmed on OneSoccer that the team's number one priority for the DP spot was a striker, so all signs point to Borre.

KJ also mentioned, almost in passing, a few minutes before that a great nugget of info about all this

Cruz Azul was VERY close to signing Jozy this offseason.

MikeForbes
04-27-2021, 09:03 PM
OneSoccer mentioning 5 day quarantine for Yefe...according to the airport post maybe today counts as day 1?

Yeah. I think next weekend is his likely debut. Give him a few training sessions.

Blindside16
04-28-2021, 01:55 AM
Yeah. I think next weekend is his likely debut. Give him a few training sessions.

If he wants to earn his sainthood in record time let him drop 4 at Azteca next Tuesday

jloome
04-28-2021, 01:33 PM
Kloke has some good stuff here, but his heroic description of the TFC process ... omg... it has a lack of distance, shall we say.

It reads like utter fiction.

I imagine what happened is Borre's agent is based in Brazil, and everything involving South American Football is pored over there with a fine-toothed comb.

Soteldo wasn't getting paid on time, the team was in financial trouble and his agent saw us pull out of Borre. Not a week later, we're all over this other dude?

Yeah, sure, they were working on it for years. It wasn't that Soteldo's agent called us and said "you can afford my client" when it was obvious we were in the market. Uh uh. That never happens.

OgtheDim
04-28-2021, 03:47 PM

I imagine what happened is Borre's agent is based in Brazil, and everything involving South American Football is pored over there with a fine-toothed comb.

Soteldo wasn't getting paid on time, the team was in financial trouble and his agent saw us pull out of Borre. Not a week later, we're all over this other dude?

Yeah, sure, they were working on it for years. It wasn't that Soteldo's agent called us and said "you can afford my client" when it was obvious we were in the market. Uh uh. That never happens.

Dude you spitting nails all week - if this is post vaccine symptoms, STOP SCARING THE MILLENIALS :)

noxx98
04-28-2021, 05:14 PM

He has the same agent as Josef and Gallardo. I'm sure he was calling up TFC but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. The familiarity likely made the process go a lot smoother here since he understands how MLS works and they have a working relationship with TFC and MLS HQ.

I wouldn't be surprised if when we were signing Gallardo a few years ago, Soteldo came up in those discussions but it couldn't work from a budget perspective.

ensco
04-28-2021, 05:36 PM
^This is the price of access. TFC gives the reporter some good stuff on the player, and in return, the reporter takes stenography on the perfect fit of the player and the version of events around the signing the club wants out there.

This happened with Pozo too.

Ali, you forgot to dictate the bit about screening for character for months. (I guess Manning is finally over vdW.)

The first thing that was mentioned about Yefe on ExtraTime, where they really have been talking about this player for years, was that he is perfect for Vanney's system but maybe not Armas' 4-4-2 with a high press, because he doesn’t defend. They then discussed how it might work with Armas after that. They managed this without being very critical of the signing, it was just intelligent discussion. That is what independent commentary looks like.

OgtheDim
04-28-2021, 06:20 PM

The first thing that was mentioned about Yefe on ExtraTime, where they really have been talking about this player for years, was that he is perfect for Vanney's system but maybe not Armas' 4-4-2 with a high press, because he doesn’t defend. They then discussed how it might work with Armas after that. They managed this without being very critical of the signing, it was just intelligent discussion. That is what independent commentary looks like.

Have you got a link for that as far as I can tell, they didn't discuss this on the Monday podcast - was this the Tuesday twitter thing?

jloome
04-28-2021, 06:39 PM
Dude you spitting nails all week - if this is post vaccine symptoms, STOP SCARING THE MILLENIALS :)

yeah, I don't know why that is
:rolleyes:

I have skepticism because we have a lot of roster work to do, and most of it has been kicking around for two seasons, but we're getting sort of piece-meal versions. No line leader, instead we get a late-career Gonzalez, who is like a less-athletic, less mobile Mavinga. No resolution of the Jozy situation; Bradley waning but no sign he or the club will acknowledge it. When he was out last year and Delgado/Osorio were teamed up we looked killer in the middle. But....

I get the sense there's more politics now, more inter-personal loyalty at play in the front office than shared improvement goals. More deviousness of the old school days, less openness and directness.

I don't like that kind of environment. I was in the media for years and both lived in and covered it when high-pressure environments became about entrenchment and not evolution or progress.

Also because tactically I'm not convinced that even if the high-press/middle block can work (Jim Curtin seems to be doing okay with it) that Armas is the dude.

So I guess I'm just starting to sense that the club may be losing a little direction. We were one game off the Supporter's Shield and had a nine-game unbeaten run last year. I get that there were changes needed, to play the kids and to be more offensively aggressive. I'm just not sure this is a well-reasoned moved in that direction; it feels more like kids throwing paint at a wall than art, so far.

barticusz
04-28-2021, 08:43 PM
I mean, you can look at everything from what appears to be a negative perspective or try and see some positives.

We’ve got the leagues MVP, and just added supposedly one of south America’s best. The guys are playing at least the first half season on the road and we have a new coach.

There was always going to be an adjustment period so why not wait it out before proclaiming that the everything is wrong? I just don’t get the comment that the club is losing direction? We’re forging a new direction.

Luanda
04-28-2021, 09:25 PM
Come next week, we will have a very different team with Poz and Mavinga back, as well as Yefe.
And, come to think of it, Westberg should be there too! Bonorelo has to go!!

Red CB Toronto
04-28-2021, 09:38 PM
Fresh off a flight from Brazil and on the ground in Orlando ...

https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.15752-9/179975603_947062862760237_8659516858842815825_n.pn g?_nc_cat=111&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=ae9488&_nc_eui2=AeEOfdLkc5DoWPd-ZQLoLxZtNcavaR1qVDM1xq9pHWpUM2sowmHNCYjjmYKl6VEwTE E&_nc_ohc=9pCVJX1hWYAAX_5zoL2&_nc_ht=scontent-yyz1-1.xx&oh=1053faad85d903ffa72f7b1a54aa1346&oe=60ADF19E

Rust
04-28-2021, 11:10 PM
Welcome Soteldo!

barticusz
04-29-2021, 12:04 AM
soteldo posted a goodbye clip on Instagram. 11,300+ comments. I can’t understand Portuguese but you can tell from the video what an honour it was for him to be their #10. Seems like they are extremely sad to see him go.

I just can’t wait to watch this guy now.

jloome
04-29-2021, 10:27 AM
We’re forging a new direction.

There are forks in the road, we can't see what's at the end of them.

People can see realism as 'negativity' all they want. But Red Bull's football organization is pretty damn successful, and pretty damn efficient. Witness how they brought Jesse Marsch -- the guy they went with over Ali -- along in Austria, and now the Bundesliga.

The guy they went with in that dispute has had nothing but success, as has Julian Nagelsmann, whom RB brought along in his late Twenties and is now Bayern Munich's youngest ever manager.

The guy who replaced Jesse Marsch -- our new coach -- they did not want to keep.

Those are NOT definitive statements, but reasons for concern are not "being negative", they're seeing both the potential and the pitfalls.

I'm not saying they're going to fail; I'm saying they have the burden of prior experience against them, the burden of comparison with prior administration against them.

That, and we've given up an average of three goals a game over the last three. That sort of worries me. I mean, it's not like we didn't know we had defensive problems two years ago. Even after Gonzalez, at the end of his career, joined up, we were still short competent backup.

Two seasons, going into a third, and we still have roster holes. Seattle doesn't. Columbus doesn't. LAFC doesn't. Philadelphia lost two of its best players and it still doesn't.

Competitive clubs in this league are past that era.

I like playing the kids. I like Soteldo. I like most of our roster.

I'm not sure yet that I like the tactical approach, the guy selling, or the dude who hired him. There's nothing with a club that has been one of the best in the league expecting the best.

R.O.
04-29-2021, 04:04 PM
So I guess, reading the Tea Leaves, TFC wanted to get younger/better/healthier at Striker. Was seriously in conversation with Borre. Borre let his ego and ambition get the better of him and wants to go to Europe when he saw what TFC was going to offer him.

Still don't think Borre goes to Europe for the money TFC was offering but maybe as a free transfer? Or free transfer in the Summer for TFC when he finds the offers are not to his liking? I don't know.

Then either Yefe's agent saw the drama and called TFC because they have money and are getting a rep as a BIG North American Team and a great launching pad to Europe as well.

TFC JUMP at the opportunity to add a great asset are a depressed cost and solved ALL the problems with Yefe's former team. That is some great asset management!

But it still doesn't seem that the FO has given up on that young Striker. Is JA that immovable? Mexico or another MLS squad couldn't take him of TFC's hands?

I think the likely scenario is that they get the Striker (Borre) in the summer and sell JA at the same time.

Or this is my optimistic opinion from a JUST a TFC fan (don't really have a team in Europe - Man U? - but I watch all the major tournaments, and trying to pick up strategy and I play FIFA 19)

Mike_S
04-29-2021, 04:15 PM
^This is the price of access. TFC gives the reporter some good stuff on the player, and in return, the reporter takes stenography on the perfect fit of the player and the version of events around the signing the club wants out there.

This happened with Pozo too.

Ali, you forgot to dictate the bit about screening for character for months. (I guess Manning is finally over vdW.)

There is also Kristian Jack, who mentioned on OneSoccer that he was a little surprised that the wide player the club chased was Yeferson, as he likes to cut in from the wing and as a result clutter the middle, as opposed to remaining wide to give the give the team spacing which is more in tune in what Toronto needs. He is the only local guy I heard give any hesitancy to the transfer.

ensco
04-29-2021, 04:56 PM
Have you got a link for that as far as I can tell, they didn't discuss this on the Monday podcast - was this the Tuesday twitter thing?

It was in the CCL preview Monday, at the very end. I think.

leedsandTFC
04-29-2021, 05:11 PM
i love the guy but jozy is a serious hindrance on our squad and has been since 2019.

i would love to be proven wrong, but i cannot see a situation where he gets healthy for long enough to even find the sort of form he had in summer 2019, nevermind 2017, and he's stopping us bringing in a pozuelo calibre striker to complement poz and yefe.

RealG-TFC
04-29-2021, 05:32 PM
While I do think his use of DP spot isn't great, I could see Yefe playing to Jozy's stregths and vice versa. I recall the interplay between Jozy and Gio being great; 1-2s here, flick-ons there. I can only hope that kind of play makes a return, for everyone's sake.

portu
04-29-2021, 06:18 PM
While I do think his use of DP spot isn't great, I could see Yefe playing to Jozy's stregths and vice versa. I recall the interplay between Jozy and Gio being great; 1-2s here, flick-ons there. I can only hope that kind of play makes a return, for everyone's sake.
Yefe is going to be playing much more like Piatti as opposed to Giovinco. Seba literally never got near the touchline for any reason. Yefe's heat maps are pretty much straight up and down.

jloome
04-29-2021, 07:39 PM
Yefe is going to be playing much more like Piatti as opposed to Giovinco. Seba literally never got near the touchline for any reason. Yefe's heat maps are pretty much straight up and down.

I saw that heat map, but if you watch his videos and read about him, he clearly cuts in all the time. I think he's good moving inside and playing outside. According to Tim Vickery, who covers SA soccer regularly, his right foot is his stronger foot, and he plays on the left specifically to cut inside.

So I don't think we'll be seeing him hug the touchline.

portu
04-29-2021, 11:29 PM
I saw that heat map, but if you watch his videos and read about him, he clearly cuts in all the time. I think he's good moving inside and playing outside. According to Tim Vickery, who covers SA soccer regularly, his right foot is his stronger foot, and he plays on the left specifically to cut inside.

So I don't think we'll be seeing him hug the touchline.
I generally agree. I’m just trying to say that he’s much more of a winger. Watching Shaffelburg play it looks pretty clear how he’ll slot in and I’m not sure how much close combination with the striker that’ll involve.

jloome
04-30-2021, 12:14 AM
I generally agree. I’m just trying to say that he’s much more of a winger. Watching Shaffelburg play it looks pretty clear how he’ll slot in and I’m not sure how much close combination with the striker that’ll involve.

He's apparently very adept at opening up space for other attackers in the box, so hopefully even if he's operating more with the fullback and midfielder or in isolation, whoever's up top will benefit from him dragging defenders out of position. That was a big part of his upside, apparently, creating havoc in the box.

Bushmancan
04-30-2021, 06:37 AM
i think the thing we are missing is his runs off the ball, as well. IMHO, it is the link up with Poz or Poz-Striker-Yef that has me excited and will be key. If you go back and look at Poz in Belgium, his distribution was crazy. In Solteldo’s highlight reels, his ability to run the channels and timing to receive passes and then dribbling in tight space was crazy. My only concern that i saw was he made a fair amount of errant passes.

But having a third dangerous attacker, especially with someone speed opens everything up in MLS.

Joe Kool
04-30-2021, 07:58 AM
Looking forward to more offensive production for sure but really hoping things get sorted defensively because we don't want to be the team that has to score 4 every game because we are letting in 3.

ensco
04-30-2021, 08:02 AM
I am no expert in the Brazilian league, but I know that Brazilian football does not have the same fixation on positions/formations etc that Western Europe or even Argentina do.

I once saw an interview with Marcelo where the asked him how he thought about what position he played. His answer: “I play the football position”.

I think this guy Yefe has some of the ginga style.

jloome
04-30-2021, 12:11 PM
I am no expert in the Brazilian league, but I know that Brazilian football does not have the same fixation on positions/formations etc that Western Europe or even Argentina do.

I once saw an interview with Marcelo where the asked him how he thought about what position he played. His answer: “I play the football position”.

I think this guy Yefe has some of the ginga style.

That's also very Cruyff, total football and all that. Play where needed, move where needed.

Tougher to do two-ways these days due to wiser defensive tactics. You need a lot of ball control to minimize the time the other guy has on it. Bayern's high press features guys flopping positions all over the place as needed, so maybe it's the modern version. They then settle into more traditional zones and lanes when on the backfoot.

MightyDM
04-30-2021, 09:59 PM
KJ also mentioned, almost in passing, a few minutes before that a great nugget of info about all this

Cruz Azul was VERY close to signing Jozy this offseason.

I wonder if he failed a physical???

MightyDM
04-30-2021, 10:18 PM
i think the thing we are missing is his runs off the ball, as well. IMHO, it is the link up with Poz or Poz-Striker-Yef that has me excited and will be key. If you go back and look at Poz in Belgium, his distribution was crazy. In Solteldo’s highlight reels, his ability to run the channels and timing to receive passes and then dribbling in tight space was crazy. My only concern that i saw was he made a fair amount of errant passes.

But having a third dangerous attacker, especially with someone speed opens everything up in MLS.

This sounds right to me. Also, re defensive woes - Vanneys control strategy protected our defense because we had the ball. It hid our weakness. A pressing system is high risk in this regard because it exposes our weakness. I would be extremely worried and likely irate about the Armas hire, except a) Bradley trusts him and Bradley clearly has a superb soccer brain and b) his system worked in the first two CCL games with a makeshift lineup.

ag futbol
05-01-2021, 07:45 AM
This sounds right to me. Also, re defensive woes - Vanneys control strategy protected our defense because we had the ball. It hiss our weakness. A pressing system is high risk in this regard because it exposes our weakness. I would be extremely worried and likely irate about the Aramas hire, except a) Bradley trusts him and Bradley clearly has a superb soccer brain and b) his system worked in the first two CCL games with a makeshift lineup.
It’s early, but I see some positives.

As far as that first CCL series goes, Vanney never would have won. First, he wouldn’t have trusted the kids enough to play and the likes of Okello, Shaffleburg, and (maybe) Priso would have been replaced with Endoh, DeLeon, and similar. Second, and perhaps more importantly, he would have stuck to his low block defending / possession based system which would have played right into Leon’s gameplan.

I do wonder, as time goes on, whether Armas will be able to adjust and be pragmatic about tactics. There’s nothing special about the press (or any other formation for that matter). Getting the most out of the players you have available should always be the goal and football can’t be one dimensional.

Bushmancan
05-01-2021, 10:34 AM
^ I hope so, that would make us very difficult to play against.

MightyDM
05-01-2021, 10:59 AM
It’s early, but I see some positives.

As far as that first CCL series goes, Vanney never would have won. First, he wouldn’t have trusted the kids enough to play and the likes of Okello, Shaffleburg, and (maybe) Priso would have been replaced with Endoh, DeLeon, and similar. Second, and perhaps more importantly, he would have stuck to his low block defending / possession based system which would have played right into Leon’s gameplan.

I do wonder, as time goes on, whether Armas will be able to adjust and be pragmatic about tactics. There’s nothing special about the press (or any other formation for that matter). Getting the most out of the players you have available should always be the goal and football can’t be one dimensional.

Well said

SoccMan2
05-02-2021, 04:44 PM
So what’s the latest? Is he with the team ? Might he even play Tuesday night?

MikeForbes
05-06-2021, 11:11 AM
Curtis is gonna introduce Soteldo on TFC's YouTube page to anyone who is bored at 2pm today.

rydermike
05-06-2021, 01:45 PM
Press conference just ended. Randomly came across it on youtube and caught the final 10 minutes or so. He's out of quarantine, got his jersey and met some of his teammates today.

613reppingTFC
05-06-2021, 02:23 PM
Armas was on after Soteldo and said he will be able to play a role in this weekend's match

MikeForbes
05-06-2021, 02:24 PM
Yeah, he is 100% playing Saturday. 99.9% chance it is as a sub. Most managers are lame and hate starting new signings in their first games.

613reppingTFC
05-09-2021, 03:46 PM
Anyone happen to hear a Soteldo chant at about the 78th minute? Was just before Omar made the tackle and got the yellow card

Red CB Toronto
05-09-2021, 09:54 PM
Boy is he a little guy. Looking forward to seeing what he can do in tight space.

https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.15752-9/p1080x2048/184361423_185923710050309_2874876184377732798_n.jp g?_nc_cat=111&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=ae9488&_nc_eui2=AeFpaa9zqDqBXJ1L7YitlljFxX97EbTjc8zFf3sRt ONzzECAawAceOpQK10IzaTwUII&_nc_ohc=VxipMF_Lb1QAX9Vre2P&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&tp=6&oh=ae39408c99ad82a6412a1e061db2e3b8&oe=60BEFA5F

Prof
05-10-2021, 07:35 PM

Imagine if we had Pozuelo, Yeferson and Piatti together. Big mistake in letting him go.

Blindside16
05-11-2021, 12:40 AM
Yeferson needs people to play off with. There was one time in the game Saturday were he made the run down the wing and took of 2 defenders and no one offered any support at all. I think it was Morrow looked as if he was going to pull up a chair and enjoy the show. Now once Pozuelo re-enters the picture I cannot wait to see their link up play together

ag futbol
05-11-2021, 07:40 AM
Yeferson needs people to play off with. There was one time in the game Saturday were he made the run down the wing and took of 2 defenders and no one offered any support at all. I think it was Morrow looked as if he was going to pull up a chair and enjoy the show. Now once Pozuelo re-enters the picture I cannot wait to see their link up play together
There was a time when Morrow looked like the pinnacle of fullback attacking play in MLS but those days are long gone.

He cannot combine with anyone effectively. It drives the other players on the team nuts.

PizzaEatingYeti
05-11-2021, 11:37 AM
https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.15752-9/p1080x2048/184361423_185923710050309_2874876184377732798_n.jp g?_nc_cat=111&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=ae9488&_nc_eui2=AeFpaa9zqDqBXJ1L7YitlljFxX97EbTjc8zFf3sRt ONzzECAawAceOpQK10IzaTwUII&_nc_ohc=VxipMF_Lb1QAX9Vre2P&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&tp=6&oh=ae39408c99ad82a6412a1e061db2e3b8&oe=60BEFA5F

This dude has incredibly strong and muscular legs for his size.
All in all he's looking like a pack of muscles, his whole physique is very much like El Pibe D'Oro had, at about the same age.

portu
05-11-2021, 01:20 PM
This dude has incredibly strong and muscular legs for his size.
All in all he's looking like a pack of muscles, his whole physique is very much like El Pibe D'Oro had, at about the same age.
Definetly got that Maradona stocky build.

Blindside16
05-13-2021, 12:54 AM
Venezuela released there preliminary roster for the Copa America and no surprise that Soteldo is on that list. If chosen, and I cannot see why he wouldn't be, it looks like he will miss 5 games

Home vs Orlando (June 19), Away vs Nashville (June 23), Home vs Cincinnati (June 26), Away vs D.C. (July 3) and Away vs New England (July 7)

I think we will be fine without him for the DC and Cincinnati matches and I do not want him anywhere near the plastic clusterfuck of a pitch in New England. Overall I think we lucked out but I would rather him in the lineup every game

Red CB Toronto
05-13-2021, 06:18 PM
Interesting to see what it took to get Yeferson to the Reds and their commitment to the process even when its got complicated by Santos transfer ban.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-cUViry_h8

leedsandTFC
05-13-2021, 07:06 PM
Venezuela released there preliminary roster for the Copa America and no surprise that Soteldo is on that list. If chosen, and I cannot see why he wouldn't be, it looks like he will miss 5 games

Home vs Orlando (June 19), Away vs Nashville (June 23), Home vs Cincinnati (June 26), Away vs D.C. (July 3) and Away vs New England (July 7)

I think we will be fine without him for the DC and Cincinnati matches and I do not want him anywhere near the plastic clusterfuck of a pitch in New England. Overall I think we lucked out but I would rather him in the lineup every game

doubt venezuala go far in the comp so could be back for july 3rd game if they go out in the group stage.

Bushmancan
05-14-2021, 07:54 AM
Interesting to see what it took to get Yeferson to the Reds and their commitment to the process even when its got complicated by Santos transfer ban.

That’s a really great piece, professionally done and scripted. It is interesting to see the process, i loved the “we started at 10:30am and didn’t finish until 2:30am”. Welcome to doing your job… corporate deals take time and that’s what you get paid for.

But realize the reason why they put this out is that they were feeling the heat from fans who thought they were doing nothing and had no visibility... so well done all around supporters putting heat on and the FO for getting it done. A bit of self-promotion and transparency goes a long way.

All for One

OgtheDim
05-14-2021, 08:09 AM
Yeh, its was neat

"This came together quickly" = there was another target first but this guy dropped in our laps when his agent contacted us

I have vague memories of the same sort of thing happening with Poz - just can't remember who we were supposedly in for before him