PDA

View Full Version : TFC 2021 player in-season roster discussion

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Oldtimer
04-16-2021, 02:25 PM
TFC 2021

General roster discussion

Player in-season moves/speculation/rumours
Post your speculation/information/etc. here in this thread!

Confirmed (by traditional media or the club) signings can get a separate single thread. All other "inside" and other information goes here.

ensco
04-16-2021, 02:32 PM
I wonder if we should look at this Borre guy?

Joe Kool
04-16-2021, 02:49 PM
I wonder if we should look at this Borre guy?

Never heard of him :)

FootBallAZ
04-16-2021, 04:15 PM
Only two weeks guys

DavemTFC
04-16-2021, 05:05 PM
So here's what I make of our depth chart right now, even though we still don't really know which players Armas prefers or what or main formation will be. I put a couple players at multiple spots but their best role is the one not in italics

Westberg

Bono

Silva

Laryea
Gonzalez
Mavinga
Auro

Auro
Dunn
Zavaleta
Morrow

Romeo?
Singh?
Di Rosa?

Delgado
Bradley

Priso
Osorio

Okello
Fraser

DeLeon
Pozuelo
Osorio

Endoh
Okello
Shaffelburg

Achara

Osorio
Nelson

Dorsey
Marshall-Rutty
Gallardo

Altidore

Akinola

Mullins

Perruzza

CB, LB and wing are still clearly the weak spots but this squad is playoff-level - they won't win the cup without additions though. CB/LB because we've only got 5 natural players to cover 3 spots (which we can partly solve by signing either an academy kid, draft pick, or loaned out defender) and wing because we have a lot of unproven/injured/bad players. I expect DeLeon to go since he can't and shouldn't stay with a Canadian team in an American league if he isn't vaccinated and I think there's a decent chance one of Altidore or Akinola is gone by the summer. That and maybe sending at least one of Gallardo or Dorsey away on loan for the year should free up space for a DP attacker.

PaceyWinger
04-16-2021, 06:23 PM
May already have been mentioned in another thread, but Armas was on COYR and it is DEFINITELY worth a listen when thinking about the roster. Armas is going to use a huge amount of the roster to preserve health, specifically mentioning rotation, 5 subs, rest and recovery, and science around high intensity/ high risk movements with sprinting and quick stops. Do not count out any young player this year. Guys are going to get opportunities, guys are going to get hurt. This coach would rather have his full squad playing his style than have 11 or so guys in the lineup every week. Very interesting.

Yohan
04-16-2021, 07:44 PM
https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2021/04/16/toronto-fc-sign-defender-luke-singh

rydermike
04-16-2021, 08:01 PM
I thought we had no roster space. Either someone else has gotten loaned out, or its just MLS rules are inconsistent and make no sense

Yohan
04-16-2021, 08:06 PM
I thought we had no roster space. Either someone else has gotten loaned out, or its just MLS rules are inconsistent and make no sense
there was one spot available by my count

portu
04-16-2021, 08:07 PM
I still think a roster limit is dumb in football. At least make exceptions for academy players. I see no reason not to be able to exceed thirty players so long as excess players are from the academy. Should serve as further incentive.

Phil744
04-16-2021, 08:35 PM
OUT:
Ifunanyachi Achara - Left ACL surgery
Julian Dunn - Right Hip Osteochondral Injury
Erickson Gallardo - Right Groin surgery
Chris Mavinga - Left Calf
Alejandro Pozuelo - Right Thigh

reggie
04-16-2021, 08:56 PM
eil Davidson
@NeilMDavidson
·
10m
TFC update. Erickson Gallardo underwent surgery Thursday on right groin. No word from club on return. Luke Singh signs homegrown contract. That brings first team to 31 players. TFC has some leeway with Gallardo, Dunn and Achara on injury reserve list and Romeo on loan. #TFCLive

Red CB Toronto
04-16-2021, 09:07 PM
With Rocco on loan in Denmark his spot is open.

OgtheDim
04-16-2021, 09:11 PM
That Dunn injury - that's an issue with the bone. He might be done for a long while.

James17930
04-16-2021, 09:12 PM
Surgery? Geez.

But we're in a good spot.

Yuushalinsky
04-16-2021, 09:57 PM
Pozo's injury is the lingering thigh injury from last season, right? Or is it a new one?

leedsandTFC
04-16-2021, 10:00 PM
so lineup tomorrow:

bono
laryea gonzalez zavs auro
priso bradley okello
delgado akinola shaff

would be happy with this considering the circumstances.

PaceyWinger
04-17-2021, 12:02 AM
May already have been mentioned in another thread, but Armas was on COYR and it is DEFINITELY worth a listen when thinking about the roster. Armas is going to use a huge amount of the roster to preserve health, specifically mentioning rotation, 5 subs, rest and recovery, and science around high intensity/ high risk movements with sprinting and quick stops. Do not count out any young player this year. Guys are going to get opportunities, guys are going to get hurt. This coach would rather have his full squad playing his style than have 11 or so guys in the lineup every week. Very interesting.
I know I am quoting myself but I have to recommend watching the youtube version of what they're calling Touchline Talk. Armas goes OFF on the details of the goals, the organizing principals of the defence, attack. He talks about TFC playing connected and narrow to allow for quick passes in a web. He mentions the 4-2-4 defensive positioning that led to the Priso-Morrow connection.

Listen I didn't really know what to think about Armas as a hire but I am 100% on board with how this man thinks about the game. Well worth the listen. This is the most reliable information about the specific on field direction of this team we have had in years. I can only hope this becomes a regular feature! https://youtu.be/uW7vhWOtgnE

OgtheDim
04-17-2021, 07:49 AM
Good catch - I usually avoid Wheeler & Dunfield but that was REALLY interesting.

In that video, Armas points out that the players were not provided with offseason training regime support once Jim Liston left & between that & the covid outbreak situation, that's why some of the injuries have happened. Also points out team used to cover the most ground in the past but were least on sprinting.

Worth the watch.

rydermike
04-17-2021, 08:47 AM
so lineup tomorrow:

bono
laryea gonzalez zavs auro
priso bradley okello
delgado akinola shaff

would be happy with this considering the circumstances.

I think this will be the lineup too, but I think Mullins will get the start. If Akinola is returning from injury, Armas may try to ease him in as a sub for the last 30. Not sure about the extent of his injury/fitness.

portu
04-17-2021, 10:55 PM
Good catch - I usually avoid Wheeler & Dunfield but that was REALLY interesting.

In that video, Armas points out that the players were not provided with offseason training regime support once Jim Liston left & between that & the covid outbreak situation, that's why some of the injuries have happened. Also points out team used to cover the most ground in the past but were least on sprinting.

Worth the watch.
That’s so many levels of unacceptable and lazy. Wow.

gracos
04-18-2021, 02:14 AM

Worth the watch.

Who should be held responsible for not having a training regime and/or medical support team in place to prevent injuries, it has to fall on Bill and Ali, if they want to keep up we should of never been put at such a disadvantage, this is very lazy from RBNorth

Auzzy
04-18-2021, 07:50 AM
That’s so many levels of unacceptable and lazy. Wow.

Who should be held responsible for not having a training regime and/or medical support team in place to prevent injuries, it has to fall on Bill and Ali, if they want to keep up we should of never been put at such a disadvantage, this is very lazy from RBNorth

I agree! That is unbelievably embarrassing & problematic. Everyone knows about TFC's multi-year injury & fitness problems, but in particular last year. Last year & the last few months were extremely difficult for all athletes, but especially for TFC & other Cdn MLS teams. Having to be away from home for many months; multiple quarantines related to travel & COVID; all kinds of disruption of regular routines etc. If Jim Liston left, you don't need a new & permanent TFC fitness guru before you can start to address the issues. MLSE is a huge organization. The next day a caretaker fitness expert should have had all relevant records for all TFC players, and should have clarified basic fitness maintenance with all of them, until a new & permanent medical / sports science team is in place.

Auzzy
04-18-2021, 08:01 AM
Also still a huge gap at forward. Big question marks around Jozy, Akinola, and Achara. Last I read, Achara is still out for many months. Fitness and related injuries will be the excuses you hear throughout the squad for the next 3 months at least, but especially for Jozy & Akinola. Perruzza is OK, but I believe the huge gap between USL and MLS is immediately apparent. After his first appearances, I really don't expect much from him, although maybe Armas can light a fire under his ass. Both Perruzza and Mullins are decent as subs, but should not be relied upon for significant contributions. But we probably have no other options at least until the summer.

East Coast Red
04-18-2021, 08:55 AM
I still think a roster limit is dumb in football. At least make exceptions for academy players. I see no reason not to be able to exceed thirty players so long as excess players are from the academy. Should serve as further incentive.

That's how it works pretty much right across Europe, Players under 21 are exempt. But MLS is the league of silly rules.

reggie
04-18-2021, 09:54 AM
curtis was slow to react to everything so far this season,hiring a coach,off season program and signings,but he got a new contract,they should of just reupped his ttc metro pass because his last 2 major signings in the last 6mths are a bus ride from his office

Oldtimer
04-19-2021, 01:43 PM
Waking the Red piece on why injuries are so high this year:

https://www.wakingthered.com/2021/4/19/22391775/why-are-toronto-fc-dealing-with-so-many-injuries

mowe
04-20-2021, 09:31 AM
https://mobile.twitter.com/TorontoFC/status/1384512579285000193

Areathrasher
04-20-2021, 09:35 AM
That's a nice chunk of change. And massive Lols at the pic

Interesting

https://twitter.com/plattoli/status/1384515034651430917?s=19

OgtheDim
04-20-2021, 09:42 AM
Great news but we all know GAM is going to suffer a knock in training this week & be out for a bit.

Phil744
04-20-2021, 09:49 AM
John Molinaro twitter

Bill Manning recently told me, "We’ve thought about how we’d have to free up some cap space to add another defender" ahead of the season.

https://www.tfcrepublic.ca/tfc-president-bill-manning-mls-chris-armas/

Interested to see if that's how #TFCLive uses this GAM

Smokecell
04-20-2021, 09:50 AM
So theoretically new DP + Dwyer and that's TFC 2021.

Areathrasher
04-20-2021, 10:04 AM
I just went back and watched his interview with Andi Petrillo yesterday that Platt mentioned.

Manning said they have 2-3 moves in them to make the roster fully strengthened. Mentioned holding off on DP till summer cos then it's half the cap hit but CCL is changing the calculus on that.

Interesting comments about BMO Field and the World Cup. Capacity will have to be 45-48,000 per FIFA. They have a variety of plans to do that which FIFA were happy with and it sounds like it would be a mix of permanent and temporary upgrades.

Ultra & Proud
04-20-2021, 10:07 AM
Great news but we all know GAM is going to suffer a knock in training this week & be out for a bit.
We could always graduate TAM from the academy and give him a run out if that happens.

OgtheDim
04-20-2021, 10:12 AM
So theoretically new DP + Dwyer and that's TFC 2021.

I think its new DP & defender & Dwyer is a mid season option in case of injury or Jozy getting a transfer.

I also think Dwyer ultimately is training with the team because he lives in Orlando & its good for both parties right now to have him among the group.

ag futbol
04-20-2021, 10:26 AM
In the club’s defence, they are probably not hiding Dwyer for the sake of it.

It probably reflects 1) their desire to keep other clubs away if he’s useful, and 2) not to embarrass Dwyer and make it more difficult for him to find a club in the event we take a pass.

Phil744
04-20-2021, 10:48 AM
Vid of Manning talking third DP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgqeHpQ3yNo&t=313s

MikeForbes
04-20-2021, 01:07 PM
What? I missed a GAM for an international slot trade? I live for that stuff.

OgtheDim
04-20-2021, 01:15 PM
What? I missed a GAM for an international slot trade? I live for that stuff.

https://pbs.twimg.com/ad_img/1384506879129309185/fNeRszoX?format=jpg&name=small

(that's from the team directly)

DavemTFC
04-20-2021, 01:35 PM
Lmao that pic absolutely sent me

reggie
04-20-2021, 02:16 PM
could it be another dp other than borre,manning mentioned a guy that can beat guys on the dribble.borre seems to be a in the box #9
so do we have one or two intl spots open,achara doesnt show has a intl.gallardo and endoh are intls which seem like kinda waste.

Luanda
04-20-2021, 03:54 PM
Quick...rollerblades out please!

Auzzy
04-20-2021, 06:02 PM

Hopefully he'll only be out for two weeks though.

rydermike
04-21-2021, 03:52 AM
so do we have one or two intl spots open,achara doesnt show has a intl.gallardo and endoh are intls which seem like kinda waste.
Where does it show achara as not an international?

On MLS site it shows him as an international https://www.mlssoccer.com/clubs/toronto-fc/roster/

He did move to the US in high school (2014/15) though so maybe he qualified for residency and it wasnt updated

PizzaEatingYeti
04-21-2021, 05:02 AM
Vid of Manning talking third DP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgqeHpQ3yNo&t=313s

Nothing new really for me in this vid, because from what Manning said, we may have this new new DP already playing in 3 weeks or just in 4.5 months for now.
The fact that at least they are looking for a new DP is no news...

reggie
04-21-2021, 05:27 AM
Where does it show achara as not an international?

On MLS site it shows him as an international https://www.mlssoccer.com/clubs/toronto-fc/roster/

He did move to the US in high school (2014/15) though so maybe he qualified for residency and it wasnt updated
CLUB
Menu
Sort By: Name | # | Age | Height | Weight

All Positions

Ifunanyachi Achara
Ifunanyachi Achara
99 Forward - Enugu, Nigeria
HT: 5' 10" WT: 161
i saw this on the TFC site,the other intl players are marked intl but not him for some reason.

rydermike
04-21-2021, 11:56 AM
CLUB
Menu
Sort By: Name | # | Age | Height | Weight

All Positions

Ifunanyachi Achara
Ifunanyachi Achara
99 Forward - Enugu, Nigeria
HT: 5' 10" WT: 161
i saw this on the TFC site,the other intl players are marked intl but not him for some reason.

Maybe it has to do with him being on the Injured Reserve? From a Sportsnet article:

Toronto currently has six international players -- Ifunanyachi Achara (NIgeria), Auro (Brazil), Tsubasa Endoh (Japan), Erickson Gallardo (Venezuela), Chris Mavinga (France) and Alejandro Pozuelo (Spain) -- on its first-team roster.
It has one international spot open, which presumably is being kept for a third designated player.
Also players that are on injured reserve do not occupy a roster slot so the team is currently only using four of the seven international spots -- with Achara and Gallardo on injured reserve."

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/article/toronto-fc-trades-international-roster-spot-fc-dallas-gam/

MLS rules are way too confusing to keep track of everything at once

Mikmacdo
04-21-2021, 02:38 PM
How is endoh not a domestic by now? Achara should be as well.

Red CB Toronto
04-21-2021, 04:44 PM
How is endoh not a domestic by now? Achara should be as well.

Have to remember with Achara he was in the US and now Canada, that could be a reason.

Mikmacdo
04-21-2021, 05:57 PM
Have to remember with Achara he was in the US and now Canada, that could be a reason.
True, so being in the states should help him get a green card now.

Red CB Toronto
04-21-2021, 07:15 PM
True, so being in the states should help him get a green card now.

He would have to maintain his status in the US, since he was a student not sure exactly what it was. I remember that their was a player with the Whitecaps who lived across the border in Washington State to keep his US residency status in place.

kuku
04-21-2021, 09:32 PM
According to A Tribuna, Toronto FC have made an offer of $6 million to buy 75% of the rights of Yeferson Soteldo from Santos FC.

noxx98
04-21-2021, 09:36 PM
According to A Tribuna, Toronto FC have made an offer of $6 million to buy 75% of the rights of Yeferson Soteldo from Santos FC.
He can exchange PK tips with Poz... they both like the panenka https://youtu.be/sCtj4CpowzI?t=322

From some Youtube scouting, good with the ball at his feet, has some speed. More of a provider than a goal scorer, but scores some bangers of his own.

Mikmacdo
04-21-2021, 09:39 PM
Sounds a lot like the player Manning was describing. Can score, create for others and good at dribbling. I would love this signing.... Imagine Jozy was gone and they could add another dp.

tfcboi
04-21-2021, 09:51 PM
https://twitter.com/jgfutbol10/status/1385050919587377156?s=21

Very good piece of business by Ali and Manning if this goes through. Using leverage to get the player on a cheaper fee

noxx98
04-21-2021, 10:15 PM
Jozy has also recently followed him on Instagram... I think this deal happens.

Gallardo also follows him, but they have a Venezuelan connection. They also share an agent, so there is a clear TFC/MLS connection.

rydermike
04-21-2021, 10:55 PM
He would have to maintain his status in the US, since he was a student not sure exactly what it was. I remember that their was a player with the Whitecaps who lived across the border in Washington State to keep his US residency status in place.
That was Kekutah Manneh. Several players for the caps and Vancouver Canucks (and grizzlies when they existed) lived in Point Roberts.
It's not even truly in Washington state (but legally it is), it's basically British Columbia like 20 minutes from Vancouver) but it's American based on a technicality. It's a small area like 1 square kilometer who only road leads to bc since its in a lake
https://rdcnewscdn.realtor.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/port-washington-map.jpg
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_Roberts,_Washington
https://youtu.be/qMkYlIA7mgw

rydermike
04-21-2021, 11:04 PM
That twitter link says that Santos owes 4 million for 50% of his rights. So if Santos owns 50% how are we buying 75 percent from them. Or are we buying 75%of 50% for 37.5%

Red CB Toronto
04-21-2021, 11:17 PM
Thanks, I have actually been to Point Roberts, a great friend of my dad's kept his sailboat there. It kind of funny, you are driving down this road south of Vancouver, down a hill and all of sudden you are at the border. My dad, brother and I crossed the border on foot as the person we were with had a nexus card. It certainly is an anomaly.

That was Kekutah Manneh. Several players for the caps and Vancouver Canucks (and grizzlies when they existed) lived in Point Roberts.
It's not even truly in Washington state (but legally it is), it's basically British Columbia like 20 minutes from Vancouver) but it's American based on a technicality. It's a small area like 1 square kilometer who only road leads to bc since its in a lake
https://rdcnewscdn.realtor.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/port-washington-map.jpg
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_Roberts,_Washington
https://youtu.be/qMkYlIA7mgw

noxx98
04-21-2021, 11:52 PM
That twitter link says that Santos owes 4 million for 50% of his rights. So if Santos owns 50% how are we buying 75 percent from them. Or are we buying 75%of 50% for 37.5%
I read on an Instagram post from a Santos fanpage that we'd pay $4M to Santos for 50% and $2M to Huachipato for 25%.

James17930
04-22-2021, 01:41 AM
I'm starting to think that if we lose Richie we're fucked. He's literally the only guy we have in attack with any kind of speed. We're already generally slow, and if he goes, we're even worse off. Look how Montreal ripped us apart with their speed.

Mikmacdo
04-22-2021, 05:09 AM
I'm starting to think that if we lose Richie we're fucked. He's literally the only guy we have in attack with any kind of speed. We're already generally slow, and if he goes, we're even worse off. Look how Montreal ripped us apart with their speed.

Shaffleburg is faster than Richie.

OgtheDim
04-22-2021, 06:08 AM
Same height as Giovinco

Age is good

Looks to be on the fringes of the NT

Can take pens & free kicks

This is all looking very familiar in a slightly downgraded way

PizzaEatingYeti
04-22-2021, 06:52 AM
Same height as Giovinco

Age is good

Man, you were faster than me, lol...
I wanted to post :
"I'm the only one around here, who after seeing the video with this guy, I instantly thought he's like a little bit more modest Seba?"

ensco
04-22-2021, 06:57 AM
On the face of it, this feels like a realistic possibility, to me. There are a whole bunch of reasons why this might make sense to the player. I don’t think Europe is very likely for him. I like his nickname: “La Manzanita”. The Little Apple.

But it sounds, predictably, messy. Like every deal in South America. Can Curtis and Manning win in these situations, where two clubs, two agents and the player all have claims?

I bet the fee for a player of this youth/caliber is higher than $6M. This guy is starting, creating, and sometimes starring, on a major team. Santos just sold a 25 year old CB to Benfica for $8M...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucas_Ver%C3%ADssimo

Bushmancan
04-22-2021, 07:13 AM
out of curiosity, does anyone know where Poz plays in the new Armas formation.

Yohan
04-22-2021, 07:18 AM
Same height as Giovinco

Age is good

I was going to say Joao 'The Wee Man' Plata, but sure lol

OgtheDim
04-22-2021, 08:00 AM
out of curiosity, does anyone know where Poz plays in the new Armas formation.

Where Okello has been - recessed striker, AM.

I THINK it would be put Delgado where Priso is, put Oso where Delgado has been & put Poz where Okello is.

bought with blo
04-22-2021, 08:21 AM

The problem is not the 4.8 they still owe, it is the 4.8 they still haven't paid. They offered 4.8 for 50%. Got the player, and never paid.

They still owe 9.6 to huchipato. If we pay 6 that is only good for about 75 % of what was agreed by Santos. If Santos, huchipato, and the player agree, we pay 75% of what Santos currently owes and get that much of his rights.

Areathrasher
04-22-2021, 08:43 AM
https://twitter.com/JGFutbol10/status/1385080517352202240?s=19

Santos would probably have to pay that 4M to Huchipato to get FIFA off their back and not get a transfer ban. Huchipato and the Chilean FA have apparently started proceedings with FIFA about the money owed.

Huchipato would then get 25% of the fee if TFC ever sold him.

ag futbol
04-22-2021, 08:44 AM
Shaffleburg is faster than Richie.
While true, his attacking utility has so far been limited to crosses from wide areas or cutting balls back for others to get onto.

He doesn’t look like he can directly attack the 18 yard box and slip through a ball to someone else or score himself. Sort of limits how much the other team has to respect his speed.

Now Laryea on the other hand. Let’s just call it what it is: he’s been our second best player for the past year or so.

Areathrasher
04-22-2021, 09:32 AM
On the face of it, this feels like a realistic possibility, to me. There are a whole bunch of reasons why this might make sense to the player. I don’t think Europe is very likely for him. I like his nickname: “La Manzanita”. The Little Apple.

But it sounds, predictably, messy. Like every deal in South America. Can Curtis and Manning win in these situations, where two clubs, two agents and the player all have claims?

I bet the fee for a player of this youth/caliber is higher than $6M. This guy is starting, creating, and sometimes starring, on a major team. Santos just sold a 25 year old CB to Benfica for $8M...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucas_Ver%C3%ADssimo
Might not be so bad
https://twitter.com/tombogert/status/1385232169514188802?s=19

ensco
04-22-2021, 09:49 AM
^Agree. That sounds positive.

JonO
04-22-2021, 09:55 AM
All a bit of game, isn't it? As you note in your post, Europe is likely not call for him, so maybe that drives the price down a bit...

ensco
04-22-2021, 10:05 AM
All a bit of game, isn't it? As you note in your post, Europe is likely not call for him, so maybe that drives the price down a bit...

I don't really understand the transfer market. I agree with your point about Europe.

Part of what caught my eye there was that Santos just sold a 25 year old to Europe for serious money. All those people who were emphatically stating as fact that Borre has no future in Europe because he is too old are welcome to explain the nuances of how this is different.

Rust
04-22-2021, 10:39 AM
I really like Soteldo, I think this would be a great signing for us!

bought with blo
04-22-2021, 10:56 AM
I don't really understand the transfer market. I agree with your point about Europe.

Part of what caught my eye there was that Santos just sold a 25 year old to Europe for serious money. All those people who were emphatically stating as fact that Borre has no future in Europe because he is too old are welcome to explain the nuances of how this is different.

Defenders mature later than attackers. Borre only wants to be on a champions league team. The kind of money he wants and position he wants are high end. A twenty million dollar attacker is different than an 8 million dollar defender.

As well Borre is a player with a poor history in Europe. All of things affect value.

Areathrasher
04-22-2021, 11:03 AM
I really like Soteldo, I think this would be a great signing for us!
I'm all in on the Soteldo speedboat

The Borre bus has broken down

PaceyWinger
04-22-2021, 11:06 AM

I don't have a certain answer. I think the Europe conversation is case by case. Borré as a 25 year old striker, coming from South America is going to be viewed one way be European teams depending on which league they're in. The CB Veríssimo sold to Benfica is valuable because he's 25, slotted right into their squad, and it's not hard to imagine him having success domestically in Portugal, making a fraction of what Borré makes. The impression I got regarding Borré is that the tier he wants to play at in Europe isn't really shopping for players of his profile in Argentina. If a top club is going to give him a chance I don't see them backing up a brinks truck to do it.

rydermike
04-22-2021, 11:13 AM
TFC2 signed Garrett McLaughlin. He played for Houston's USL-C team last year. He was drafted 8th overall in 2020/

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2021/04/22/toronto-fc-ii-sign-garrett-mclaughlin

OgtheDim
04-22-2021, 11:59 AM
Wondering how much of the timing for this move for a 3rd DP is dependent upon a result vs. Cruz Azul.

IF we wait for a DP until the summer, that's half the cap hit & we could get somebody else for that hit + the GAM we just got.

Areathrasher
04-22-2021, 12:07 PM
Soteldo turns 24 in the summer. Does this mean if they did a deal now he'd be a young DP for the rest of the season and full DP next year?

Young Designated Player

A Designated Player who is 23 years old (or younger than the age of 23) during the League Year (the age of the player is determined by year - not date - of birth) will carry the following Young Designated Player Salary Budget Charge:
Ages 20 and younger: $150,000
Ages 21-23: $200,000

ag futbol
04-22-2021, 01:02 PM
Is it fair to look a little bit deeper into this and gauge the quality vs. Other MLS team signings?

Certainly a few years back this unquestionably would be a gem. Today lots of MLS clubs are taking to South America and spending a few million bucks on a transfer.

How does he compare to guys Vancouver have on their radar (as a minimum bar) or that other teams have taken a swing at in the last twelve months? Thinking of the Nashville / Columbus / Minnesota types and hoping we’re a cut above.

Not trying to be negative, just trying to gauge whether we’re pushing the envelope or starting to spend more like a mid table team.

leedsandTFC
04-22-2021, 01:07 PM
Is it fair to look a little bit deeper into this and gauge the quality vs. Other MLS team signings?

Certainly a few years back this unquestionably would be a gem. Today lots of MLS clubs are taking to South America and spending a few million bucks on a transfer.

How does he compare to guys Vancouver have on their radar (as a minimum bar) or that other teams have taken a swing at in the last twelve months? Thinking of the Nashville / Columbus / Minnesota types and hoping we’re a cut above.

Not trying to be negative, just trying to gauge whether we’re pushing the envelope or starting to spend more like a mid table team.

considering that we still have jozy's substantial wages, it seems like a decent outlay.

will certainly be a substantially bigger outlay than piatti last season, for instance.

Areathrasher
04-22-2021, 01:08 PM
Soteldo has been linked with Atlanta, Besiktas and the same Saudi club as Seba in the last 12 months. Santos were looking for close to 20m for him last summer.

noxx98
04-22-2021, 02:05 PM
Soteldo is following Jozy on Instagram now as well. He's pretty selective with his follows.

OgtheDim
04-22-2021, 02:10 PM
For comparisons sake, here's the list of current MLS DP's

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designated_Player_Rule#Current_Designated_Players

I would say the expectation would be he plays better then the NER DP's - that would be my measuring stick. Top 10 DP's in the league.

noxx98
04-22-2021, 02:38 PM
Based purely on Transfermarkt's market values (which is a flawed metric in many ways...) Soteldo would be tied for the 12th highest value in MLS ($8.8M). Rossi, Barco and Brenner would be the only players that are the same age or younger ahead of him on the list. This would, on paper at least, slot him in as one of the top DPs in the league. https://www.transfermarkt.us/major-league-soccer/marktwerte/wettbewerb/MLS1

mowe
04-22-2021, 02:55 PM
https://youtu.be/wcjLN_l4yW8
He would tear MLS defenses apart. Really hope we get him.

Areathrasher
04-22-2021, 03:11 PM
Soteldo is following Jozy on Instagram now as well. He's pretty selective with his follows.
You think Jozy sees a rumor and then slides into that players DMs to do a bit of tapping up? He does speak Spanish....

That's Pellistri, Borre and now Soteldo where this has happened.

ag futbol
04-22-2021, 03:12 PM
https://youtu.be/wcjLN_l4yW8
He would tear MLS defenses apart. Really hope we get him.
He will tear this league a new one (obligatory statement)

PaceyWinger
04-22-2021, 03:12 PM
If the reaction of Santos fans on twitter is any measure, they rate him very highly, but are resigned to the fact that the club has to sell in order to get out from under their fifa sanctions.

Areathrasher
04-22-2021, 03:17 PM
Santos have made a counter offer to TFC of 7.5M

https://www.uol.com.br/esporte/futebol/ultimas-noticias/2021/04/22/santos-abre-negociacao-e-faz-contraproposta-ao-toronto-por-soteldo.amp.htm?__twitter_impression=true

noxx98
04-22-2021, 03:18 PM
You think Jozy sees a rumor and then slides into that players DMs to do a bit of tapping up? He does speak Spanish....

That's Pellistri, Borre and now Soteldo where this has happened.
Jozy sees that Curtis and Manning aren't doing enough to recruit and our man steps up. I'm sure it doesn't hurt to have one of the faces of a team reach out to you and speak about how they're interested in having you join.

jloome
04-22-2021, 03:22 PM

I'm a little nervous about this guy, if only because his one big year with Santos in 2019 was well off the pace in 2020...but that might've been covid-related circumstances.

Tottenham tried to sign him when he was 17 but they couldn't get a work permit.

Yuushalinsky
04-22-2021, 03:31 PM
Santos have made a counter offer to TFC of 7.5M

https://www.uol.com.br/esporte/futebol/ultimas-noticias/2021/04/22/santos-abre-negociacao-e-faz-contraproposta-ao-toronto-por-soteldo.amp.htm?__twitter_impression=true

This for a player that, just two years ago, Santos said they would not part with unless they got 50M Euro for him. Pull the trigger, TFC.

Areathrasher
04-22-2021, 03:48 PM
Dwyer signing soon?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CN-x3gmFNAU/?igshid=14ucubf98k6pa

MikeForbes
04-22-2021, 03:50 PM
Soteldo definitely fits everything TFC needs. I am excited for this to happen based purely on seeing his highlight reels.

Rust
04-22-2021, 04:31 PM
If the reaction of Santos fans on twitter is any measure, they rate him very highly, but are resigned to the fact that the club has to sell in order to get out from under their fifa sanctions.

He's good for sure, I support Palmeiras in Brazil, a Santos' rival, and I've seen him in action many times. I wish Palmeiras had the money to get him, but it's too much for us at this moment. Luckily I'm a TFC supporter as well, so I may have the luck to see him here! :scarf:

portu
04-22-2021, 06:02 PM
Dwyer signing soon?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CN-x3gmFNAU/?igshid=14ucubf98k6pa
Drake lyric as well to add fuel to the fire

Soteldo looks crazy good. You do worry about his size, but it never stopped Plata or Seba. The sooner we see him in red the better!

ensco
04-22-2021, 06:06 PM
Without knowing anything else, I would have assumed the high bid for this player would come from Liga MX. That league is full of pocket rockets.

I wonder why they aren’t biting?

ensco
04-22-2021, 06:10 PM
This Dwyer thing makes zero sense to me unless one of Mullins or Altidore is leaving. He is not a solution if Ayo leaves. You want a mix, and we have Okello, Peruzza, maybe Achara ...

ensco
04-22-2021, 06:13 PM
I have wondered before if Pozo is leaving... when I see Yefe's YouTube reel I see a lot of overlap .... they say he's a winger but he sure looks like a 10 in some of those videos

ag futbol
04-22-2021, 06:19 PM
Looks to me like he’s always cutting in from the left. Shaffleburg becomes a sub, which I think makes sense.

ensco
04-22-2021, 06:27 PM
Looks to me like he’s always cutting in from the left. Shaffleburg becomes a sub, which I think makes sense.

That would make lots of sense

OgtheDim
04-22-2021, 06:30 PM
This Dwyer thing makes zero sense to me unless one of Mullins or Altidore is leaving. He is not a solution if Ayo leaves. You want a mix, and we have Okello, Peruzza, maybe Achara ...

I remember when Herculez Gomez came to us, people thought he would be a sub forward who would score - didn't really work out all that much.

Dwyer is the same thing to me - not a guarantee by any means. He's no Jozy replacement. I don't get this one.

reggie
04-22-2021, 06:57 PM
i dont get the dwyer signing if he does sign,LB and CB are way more important at this point,it must be a cheap prove it one year contract,maybe mullinho is on the move to the the suoer league

portu
04-22-2021, 07:02 PM
Yeah something’s got to budge at forward.

1/2: Jozy, Ayo
3: Mullins
4: Peruzza

Achara in the mix as well and we really only play one up top. Someone’s got to be moving to make this happen.

Yuushalinsky
04-22-2021, 07:16 PM
https://twitter.com/JGFutbol10/status/1385379816803811330

Reportedly, Soltedo would be MORE than happy being here. Let's get 'er done.

ag futbol
04-22-2021, 07:23 PM

Soltedo: I am excited to move to a new club in such a vibrant city. Where are the team’s training ground located again?

Curtis: **cough** Florida **cough**

Soltedo: Come again?

Curtis: Oh, nothing. What were we discussing exactly? Sign below the line...

Yuushalinsky
04-22-2021, 07:24 PM
Soltedo: I am excited to move to a new club in such a vibrant city. Where are the team’s training ground located again?

Curtis: **cough** Florida **cough**

Soltedo: Come again?

Curtis: Oh, nothing. What were we discussing again exactly?

Soteldo: Do I get paid?

Curtis: On time.

Soteldo: Where the fuck do I sign

ag futbol
04-22-2021, 07:26 PM
Soteldo: Do I get paid?

Curtis: On time.

Soteldo: Where the fuck do I sign
No arguments here, haha

Yuushalinsky
04-22-2021, 07:29 PM
No arguments here, haha

Not kidding - apparently Santos has not been paying their star on time.

Bushmancan
04-22-2021, 07:36 PM
Flights from São Paulo, Brazil (all airports) to Orlando, USA (all airports) 8 Hours & 35 Minutes Direct. Cue Noxx.

ag futbol
04-22-2021, 07:38 PM
Not kidding - apparently Santos has not been paying their star on time.
Would have suspected this from some other clubs in the region but a bit surprised when it’s one of the more well known clubs in the Barsiliero.

Guess pandemic times call for cutting some corners.

portu
04-22-2021, 07:44 PM

This is the kind of encouraging sign you want when you’re trying to invest in a key player.

Should never have to spend months convincing a player that you want to pay millions to.

PaceyWinger
04-22-2021, 08:12 PM
This 23 year old has 3 kids. Guys he may be short but he finishes at a PROLIFIC rate.

Seriously though, both the player and club are motivated for a move so just the thorny issue of the proposal-counter-proposal staring contest for the final price. He isn't holding a scarf yet but just the idea of bringing in someone with demonstrable quality is enticing with this group.

Red CB Toronto
04-22-2021, 08:27 PM
I remember when Herculez Gomez came to us, people thought he would be a sub forward who would score - didn't really work out all that much.

Dwyer is the same thing to me - not a guarantee by any means. He's no Jozy replacement. I don't get this one.
He is short cover in my eyes if they were to do a deal , nothing more. While still only 30 he has seen decline, maybe he can find one last spark , who knows.

OgtheDim
04-22-2021, 08:28 PM
Was wondering if he was a family man - this city makes our team VERY attractive to a guy with kids. He sounds sold.

ag futbol
04-22-2021, 08:34 PM
This 23 year old has 3 kids. Guys he may be short but he finishes at a PROLIFIC rate.

Seriously though, both the player and club are motivated for a move so just the thorny issue of the proposal-counter-proposal staring contest for the final price. He isn't holding a scarf yet but just the idea of bringing in someone with demonstrable quality is enticing with this group.
The fact that our reported offer and the counter offer are so close in price... really feels like this one is getting done.

ensco
04-22-2021, 08:57 PM
Agree with everybody. This one will get done.

All hail El Yefe.

noxx98
04-22-2021, 09:18 PM
I have wondered before if Pozo is leaving... when I see Yefe's YouTube reel I see a lot of overlap .... they say he's a winger but he sure looks like a 10 in some of those videos
Here's a heatmap of his positioning. He plays almost exclusively down the left.

https://twitter.com/GalindoPW/status/1385386364204580867

noxx98
04-22-2021, 09:22 PM
Flights from São Paulo, Brazil (all airports) to Orlando, USA (all airports) 8 Hours & 35 Minutes Direct. Cue Noxx.

Santos plays tomorrow. Will be interesting to see if he makes the 18 or they hold him out. He played Tuesday night - I wonder if that was a trial or demonstration to TFC that he's healthy and effective.

EDIT: Looks like no direct flights in the next week from Sao Paulo to Orlando. Direct flights to either Miami or Ft Lauderdale however.

jloome
04-22-2021, 09:43 PM
Agree with everybody. This one will get done.

All hail El Yefe.

A frontline of
-------------Mullinho---------------
------Yefe------------Pozuelo.

Chills, I tells ya. I got chills.

reggie
04-22-2021, 09:53 PM
i get nauseous thinking of mullinho in that front 3

ensco
04-22-2021, 10:11 PM
Here's a heatmap of his positioning. He plays almost exclusively down the left.

https://twitter.com/GalindoPW/status/1385386364204580867

I stand corrected.

barticusz
04-22-2021, 10:20 PM
I know nothing other than what I’m reading now but based on highlights he would definitely give us that extra edge on the left side. What is interesting to me is that he’s looking like a pure winger compared to Borre so that leaves Jozy as our go to striker with akinola/mullinho and perruzza. Makes me think that there isn’t a desire or plan to move Jozy this year.

DavemTFC
04-22-2021, 10:23 PM
Looks like the exact type of signing we've been trying to get for nearly 2 years now. Let's hope this time it's for real!

Areathrasher
04-22-2021, 10:44 PM
sign him up Ali!
https://youtu.be/k8qllauI0To

leedsandTFC
04-23-2021, 01:35 AM
giovinco vibes in his playing style.

Defoe
04-23-2021, 03:14 AM
Soteldo isn't a striker but Pozuelo and Soteldo would be 2 great DP's...

My take is this... Having an elite winger works if you have two of them i.e Diego Rossi + Carlos Vela... but LAFC with only Rossi wouldn't go very far.

We already know Altidore will be injured 50 % of the year and his terrible attitude will cost this team from winning, dude is an anchor. We need his DP spot badly.

If we're only getting 1 player, the clear and most obvious need is a guy that can score 20 goals

It's a good first move but move out Altidore and sign a new striker or goal scoring right winger.

Defoe
04-23-2021, 03:23 AM
This would be amazing and franchise altering. This came out a day ago.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/04/21/arsenal-star-willian-speaks-out-on-his-future-and-reveals-ambitions-to-play-in-the-united-states-14449561/

Fire off Altidore into the sun (pay a team to take him if you have too) and bring in Soteldo and Willian.

Soteldo----Dwyer/Akinola------Willian
----------------- Pozuelo
-------- Osorio--------Delgado
Auro---Mavinga-Gonzo-Laryea

Defoe
04-23-2021, 04:47 AM

https://metro.co.uk/2021/04/21/arsenal-star-willian-speaks-out-on-his-future-and-reveals-ambitions-to-play-in-the-united-states-14449561/

Fire off Altidore into the sun (pay a team to take him if you have too) and bring in Soteldo and Willian.

and just to add, if you can't bring in 2 elite DP wingers I'm good with a lower tiered DP winger at the Hoilett or Gressel skill level (with Soteldo) if that's the best they can do... It would still be much better then having mostly injured Altidore (who scores less then Akinola) despite being 40 x more expensive... Gotta find a way to get of that contract. Having that top quality winger is essential.

Winger------------------------------Striker -------------------------------------- Winger

Soteldo------------------ Dwyer/Akinola/Perruzza------------------Hoilett/Gressel/Willian etc

Auzzy
04-23-2021, 05:05 AM
Soteldo seems great from the descriptions and videos.

Only thing from the videos: sometimes he keeps dribbling when he needs to pass. And sometimes his passes aren't great because he maneuvered into a bad spot first. Maybe that was just the selection of clips selected for the videos. Hopefully that wouldn't become a problem with TFC. Also he might get frustrated if he keeps getting hacked in MLS w/o always getting the calls.

Bushmancan
04-23-2021, 05:20 AM

First thing, think longer term (love Willian but he is too old for a Jozy DP replacement). Add Soteldo, get a back up strike force and a defender and this is a very good team with Jozy. If Soteldo can be a legitimate worry for opponents, it will open up so many new opportunities for everyone, Poz and Jozy & Company. Manage Jozy's time and body (don't let him play more than 65 minutes and no mid-week games) and I guarantee we are a top 5, maybe top 3 team. Get one more year under the kids and then go for the striker in 2022, hopefully when we are fully operating again and this is a great team. effn' team, effn' works.

PaceyWinger
04-23-2021, 06:52 AM
I have to add that Manning has been remarkably present and candid about the direction of the team lately. He's not out there leaking names but everything he's talked generally about has materialized. If this transfer happens I would expect they will add a defender since he referenced creating cap space (prior to trading the int'l roster spot) to bolster the defense.

PizzaEatingYeti
04-23-2021, 07:07 AM
Hey Bill & Ali, sign this Soteldo guy right now!

Here is the short term scientific-mathematical analysis why this guy needs to be signed:

With him on the field TFC will destroy any footy team which calls "home" the land mass between the Mexico-US border - North Pole and Atlantic Ocean - Pacific Ocean 50% of all times when a match is played.... that is until Jozy still is at TFC.

Unfortunately just 50%, because no more than 50% of all matches the trio of Pozuelo, Soteldo and Jozy will be available to play, and guilty in that for at least 80% of occurences will be of course Jozy.

:drinking:

:scarf:

ag futbol
04-23-2021, 07:12 AM
Santos plays tomorrow. Will be interesting to see if he makes the 18 or they hold him out. He played Tuesday night - I wonder if that was a trial or demonstration to TFC that he's healthy and effective.

EDIT: Looks like no direct flights in the next week from Sao Paulo to Orlando. Direct flights to either Miami or Ft Lauderdale however.
Forget direct flights. Call it the Gulfstream!

Smokecell
04-23-2021, 07:15 AM
I know they spoke of adding a defender but I'm a bit perplexed as to how they're gonna make that happen. Since saying that initially they've added Luke Singh (safe to say unplanned/solely based of perf. v Leon?) which has occupied a valuable roster spot, and teased Dom Dwyer. All we know is that Achara and Dunn temporarily don't count towards the 30, but assuming Soteldo lands that means we have 32 players on the roster and a full active 30?

It's unclear if loaning players clears up roster spots, and besides that the USL season opens this weekend so not sure if that'll increase the difficulty of finding a club. I suppose there's CPL, but truth be told the kids need games and the USL is able to offer a more lengthy schedule.

I kind of thought that Singh was going to be the defender they wanted to add, but the impact game was sure sobering. How badly is occupying that roster spot going to cost us?

OgtheDim
04-23-2021, 07:54 AM
I still think somebody on this roster gets traded during this transfer season.

RealG-TFC
04-23-2021, 08:02 AM
This sounds like it's in the bag. If we're to trust Google translate:

"The club is going through a very critical economic situation. The offer that came from Toronto FC is very good for the club, it will help to resolve debts and will also guarantee my future and that of my family. I have three children. The world and football have changed because of the pandemic. While in many parts of the world, including Europe, dozens of clubs are failing, an MLS offer has come that I cannot refuse."

"I'm excited to play for Toronto FC. They count on me to fight for everything and be one of the players in the franchise. Canada is a beautiful country, and the MLS has grown impressively. I am sure that very soon it will be one of the most powerful leagues in the world. And I want to be part of that story."

https://globoesporte.globo.com/sp/santos-e-regiao/futebol/times/santos/noticia/noticias-santos-soteldo-entrevista-negociacao-venda.ghtml

ensco
04-23-2021, 08:21 AM
I still think somebody on this roster gets traded during this transfer season.

I think more than one significant player is leaving, but have no idea who. I believe Armas when he says the kids will get real minutes. It's just math.

ensco
04-23-2021, 08:26 AM

"The club is going through a very critical economic situation. The offer that came from Toronto FC is very good for the club, it will help to resolve debts and will also guarantee my future and that of my family. I have three children. The world and football have changed because of the pandemic. While in many parts of the world, including Europe, dozens of clubs are failing, an MLS offer has come that I cannot refuse."

"I'm excited to play for Toronto FC. They count on me to fight for everything and be one of the players in the franchise. Canada is a beautiful country, and the MLS has grown impressively. I am sure that very soon it will be one of the most powerful leagues in the world. And I want to be part of that story."

https://globoesporte.globo.com/sp/santos-e-regiao/futebol/times/santos/noticia/noticias-santos-soteldo-entrevista-negociacao-venda.ghtml

I missed this until I read this... he wears the 10 at Santos.

OMG .

Bushmancan
04-23-2021, 08:27 AM

Talk about starting on the front foot, someone who is either very sincere and genuine or has very good PR skills... or a bit of both. Easy path to becoming a fan favorite, if he delivers.

East Coast Red
04-23-2021, 08:28 AM
I kind of thought that Singh was going to be the defender they wanted to add, but the impact game was sure sobering. How badly is occupying that roster spot going to cost us?

I'm surprised at how much stick Singh is getting for the Montreal game, when he was left so exposed, I don't think he did that bad. Stick Morrow at LB to help him out, (Or any left back for that matter) and I think he could be useful. He's definitely not a starter of course, but cover some useful minutes.

ag futbol
04-23-2021, 08:49 AM
They looked pretty gassed as a team. Auro had a rough game as well and that impacted how Singh looked. I’d be hesitant to call out anyone but I think Singh is likely a year or two away as opposed to ready for prime time immediately.

My thought is we probably lose one (or several) of: Ayo, Osorio, Layrea, Delgado, or Mullins in the summer. Maybe even Jozy.
Would expect loans for a few youth guys who are further down the pecking order as well.

I know we always accuse Curtis of being behind on timelines (which has often been fair) but in those case, to me, it feels like he’s making changes here to provide cover before other things happen.

noxx98
04-23-2021, 09:29 AM
The Globo article states he won't be in the lineup tonight as he played Tuesday. They play again on Sunday. Hopefully he doesn't end up playing because he's in Orlando by then.

OgtheDim
04-23-2021, 09:30 AM
I missed this until I read this... he wears the 10 at Santos.

OMG .

Yes, but he ain't playing the #10 here. Nothing in what Poz says when interviewed indicates he is anything but dialed into this team.

I look at this as a long term move for attacking prowess that the team can build around once Jozy is gone in the next 18 months & once Poz is gone in 2024.

Edit: Just realised why the Wow.

He has Pele's # on Pele's team. That is a thing down there for sure.

Yohan
04-23-2021, 10:01 AM
https://www.wakingthered.com/2021/4/23/22397948/yeferson-soteldo-im-excited-to-play-for-toronto-fc

benito
04-23-2021, 10:06 AM
Let's get this done!

buddies
04-23-2021, 10:09 AM
I actually think getting this guy might help end Jozy's injury woes. If we're throwing Soteldo down the left and Laryea down the right with Pozuelo chipping balls down the middle all Jozy needs to do is go stand on the penalty spot and wait for his 50 goals to show up ...

Mikmacdo
04-23-2021, 10:10 AM
I actually think getting this guy might help end Jozy's injury woes. If we're throwing Soteldo down the left and Laryea down the right with Pozuelo chipping balls down the middle all Jozy needs to do is go stand on the penalty spot and wait for his 50 goals to show up ...

True but Armas wants everyone to press.

jloome
04-23-2021, 10:15 AM
They looked pretty gassed as a team. Auro had a rough game as well and that impacted how Singh looked. I’d be hesitant to call out anyone but I think Singh is likely a year or two away as opposed to ready for prime time immediately.

My thought is we probably lose one (or several) of: Ayo, Osorio, Layrea, Delgado, or Mullins in the summer. Maybe even Jozy.
Would expect loans for a few youth guys who are further down the pecking order as well.

I know we always accuse Curtis of being behind on timelines (which has often been fair) but in those case, to me, it feels like he’s making changes here to provide cover before other things happen.

Laryea will have suitors, Ayo probably too. Osorio will always be in demand in MLS, though moving a guy that useful would be brutally cynical. Delgado's not going anywhere, too consistent to trade for the wage he's on.

We have an upcoming crisis at wingback if Laryea goes. Auro, Morrow and Griffin Dorsey? Yikes. We NEED a wingback. We already have no proper right-side backup, Auro has off games where he gets caught up field. Dorsey has shown nothing so far but enthusiasm.

ag futbol
04-23-2021, 10:17 AM
I think we’re just doing what we can with Jozy given his condition and available cap space. When the opportunity presents itself, they will waive goodbye.

Having Soteldo / Pozuelo is a lot like a Rossi / Vela setup. You can field any number of people at striker and goals will come cause the service is there.

Assume a DP striker will follow but only once Altidore’s spot opens up.

ensco
04-23-2021, 10:33 AM
Yes, but he ain't playing the #10 here. Nothing in what Poz says when interviewed indicates he is anything but dialed into this team.

I look at this as a long term move for attacking prowess that the team can build around once Jozy is gone in the next 18 months & once Poz is gone in 2024.

Edit: Just realised why the Wow.

He has Pele's # on Pele's team. That is a thing down there for sure.

Haha amusing post, parts 1 and 2. Agreed, he is not an AM here while Poz is around.

This will be the first player TFC get where I would want to get the guy’s jersey from his former team, rather than TFC

noxx98
04-23-2021, 12:00 PM
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://www.uol.com.br/esporte/colunas/mercado-da-bola/2021/04/23/toronto-fc-abre-o-cofre-e-ve-soteldo-como-designated-player.htm

We're offering Soteldo between $4M and $4.5M per season for a contract of 4-5 years. In comparison, Poz is on $3.8M.

ensco
04-23-2021, 12:18 PM
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://www.uol.com.br/esporte/colunas/mercado-da-bola/2021/04/23/toronto-fc-abre-o-cofre-e-ve-soteldo-como-designated-player.htm

We're offering Soteldo between $4M and $4.5M per season for a contract of 4-5 years. In comparison, Poz is on $3.8M.

If true, I think the fee may need to be higher than 6M. Just based on my general since of the ratio of a players new contract to the transfer fee, for a quality player under contract. It's usually a lot more than 1.5x the annual salary. The other guy Santos just sold, Verissimo, has a new annual contract of 1M euros and sold for 6.5M euros (but every situation is different).

MikeForbes
04-23-2021, 12:20 PM
This seems pretty much done. I knew the new transfer thread would be just the thing we needed to get the transfers moving.

OgtheDim
04-23-2021, 12:21 PM

The discussion of MLS DP's in that article is....amusing. Pretty darn sure his source is wikipedia but there is a point to be made about current MLS DP's not being the old superstars they used to be.

Yuushalinsky
04-23-2021, 01:10 PM
The important piece imo is that Soteldo specifically mentioned that clubs even in Europe are folding - MLS is stable and that's a prime reason why he's coming.

Mikmacdo
04-23-2021, 01:23 PM
Laryea will have suitors, Ayo probably too. Osorio will always be in demand in MLS, though moving a guy that useful would be brutally cynical. Delgado's not going anywhere, too consistent to trade for the wage he's on.

We have an upcoming crisis at wingback if Laryea goes. Auro, Morrow and Griffin Dorsey? Yikes. We NEED a wingback. We already have no proper right-side backup, Auro has off games where he gets caught up field. Dorsey has shown nothing so far but enthusiasm.

If Richie leaves we should bring in Juan Cordova and also try to get Gallagher back.

MikeForbes
04-23-2021, 01:39 PM
Yefe is 23 and has 3 kids? His workrate on and off the field sounds outstanding.

OgtheDim
04-23-2021, 02:23 PM
https://twitter.com/VarskySports/status/1385652195396313091

Shout out to Michael Singh where I saw him repost

rydermike
04-23-2021, 02:54 PM
If true, I think the fee may need to be higher than 6M. Just based on my general since of the ratio of a players new contract to the transfer fee, for a quality player under contract. It's usually a lot more than 1.5x the annual salary. The other guy Santos just sold, Verissimo, has a new annual contract of 1M euros and sold for 6.5M euros (but every situation is different).

Yes, but keep in mind that we're in MLS. So transfer fee isn't affected by us being an MLS team, but salary is. The team doesn't care who the $6 million is coming from, it's six million. The player does care about their salary given its MLS. So the salary bump above market value doesn't affect market value transfer fee. If his market value is $2 million salary, then a $6 million fee is triple his market value salary (the fact that we'd be paying extra salary doesn't affect that).

Also, Santos is in a major financial crunch, which gives us leverage. If they're truly in need of money and can't afford to retain him, they'll take it, if no one is offering anything similar, even if it's slightly under value.
I think Toronto will counter in the middle with $7 and they'll take it.

noimpactinmtl
04-23-2021, 04:29 PM
Yes, but keep in mind that we're in MLS. So transfer fee isn't affected by us being an MLS team, but salary is. The team doesn't care who the $6 million is coming from, it's six million. The player does care about their salary given its MLS. So the salary bump above market value doesn't affect market value transfer fee. If his market value is $2 million salary, then a $6 million fee is triple his market value salary (the fact that we'd be paying extra salary doesn't affect that).

Also, Santos is in a major financial crunch, which gives us leverage. If they're truly in need of money and can't afford to retain him, they'll take it, if no one is offering anything similar, even if it's slightly under value.
I think Toronto will counter in the middle with $7 and they'll take it.

He won't get bounced cheques from MLSE, that's for sure. I'm also sure that MLSE doesn't care how much a DP is earning, as long as the DP is performing to the level of a DP slot (looking at you, Jozy).

jloome
04-23-2021, 04:49 PM
Yefe is 23 and has 3 kids? His workrate on and off the field sounds outstanding.

LOL, outstanding work in this thread, by the way.

MikeForbes
04-23-2021, 05:41 PM
Game, set and match.

Yeferson plays for Toronto FC.

https://twitter.com/CLMerlo/status/1385723092010426368?s=20

reggie
04-23-2021, 06:03 PM
i can hear vanney now...a pacey winger wtf,5 years to late

leedsandTFC
04-23-2021, 06:10 PM
this is the type of player we've been needing since we sold giovinco

Rust
04-23-2021, 06:20 PM
Man, I hope it's true, I really hope it's true! Gonna love to see Soteldo playing for us!

Gonna buy a jersey with his name and number! :cool:

MikeForbes
04-23-2021, 06:21 PM
He has a lot of Lorenzo Insigne in his game. Hope he rips it up here for the next decade.

reggie
04-23-2021, 06:26 PM
now i pissed that we cant go to bmo,he is the kinda player i wanna see live

Yuushalinsky
04-23-2021, 06:27 PM
RIGHT AFTER I bought a Pozo kit too... oh well, I can buy the 2022 MLS Champ kit of Soteldo.

Luanda
04-23-2021, 06:32 PM
report-santos-agree-to-sell-yeferson-soteldo-to-toronto-fc

https://www.wakingthered.com/2021/4/23/22400383/report-santos-agree-to-sell-yeferson-soteldo-to-toronto-fc

notthesun
04-23-2021, 06:49 PM
By all accounts this seems like a great get, and fills a need in the team too. Solid stuff.

buddies
04-23-2021, 07:01 PM
Right ... get him out of Brazil ASAP and into quarantine somewhere and while we're at it pump a vaccine into him so he can get into a game ...

Phil744
04-23-2021, 07:50 PM
Right ... get him out of Brazil ASAP and into quarantine somewhere and while we're at it pump a vaccine into him so he can get into a game ...

I don't think he can play for us until the July transfer window. But I think he can play for us in the CCL.

Yuushalinsky
04-23-2021, 07:53 PM
I don't think he can play for us until the July transfer window. But I think he can play for us in the CCL.
He's in our transfer window - ends May 2nd

troy1982
04-23-2021, 08:51 PM
now i pissed that we cant go to bmo,he is the kinda player i wanna see live

Don;t worry TFC will most likely be playing in BMO with crowds in July

ManUtd4ever
04-23-2021, 08:55 PM
Very solid DP acquisition. It will likely take him some time to get acclimated to MLS, but he should be able to make an immediate impact in the CCL.

Mikmacdo
04-23-2021, 08:57 PM
I don't know if Florida has quarantine rules.

noxx98
04-23-2021, 09:26 PM
I don't know if Florida has quarantine rules.
MLS requires a 5 day quaratine after "high risk activities", which includes flying on a commercial flight. Even if he flies private, I imagine there would be some form of quarantine requirements for him to go through just to protect the rest of the team until he can have a few days of COVID testing.

OgtheDim
04-23-2021, 09:43 PM
TFC fandom's doctor in residence has a good point

https://twitter.com/boatical/status/1385765917305540618

Red CB Toronto
04-23-2021, 10:02 PM
It's something to think how long the Borre sage dragged itself out regardless of what direction it was taking and this seemed to pop out of nowhere and has progressed quite quickly, guess it the difference in a player that truly wants to be here vs one who views it as a fall back.

MightyDM
04-23-2021, 10:16 PM
I know nothing other than what I’m reading now but based on highlights he would definitely give us that extra edge on the left side. What is interesting to me is that he’s looking like a pure winger compared to Borre so that leaves Jozy as our go to striker with akinola/mullinho and perruzza. Makes me think that there isn’t a desire or plan to move Jozy this year.

if Jozy stays fit he is as good as it gets in that position in this league.

MightyDM
04-23-2021, 10:18 PM
Soteldo seems great from the descriptions and videos.

Only thing from the videos: sometimes he keeps dribbling when he needs to pass. And sometimes his passes aren't great because he maneuvered into a bad spot first. Maybe that was just the selection of clips selected for the videos. Hopefully that wouldn't become a problem with TFC. Also he might get frustrated if he keeps getting hacked in MLS w/o always getting the calls.

What is the difference you see between him and Piatti

MightyDM
04-23-2021, 10:22 PM

Its the midfield. it has to be. Bradley is staying and is in the midst of a resurgence, so one of Oso, Marky or Poz is leaving. Marky has the most trade value.

ensco
04-23-2021, 10:25 PM
MLS requires a 5 day quaratine after "high risk activities", which includes flying on a commercial flight. Even if he flies private, I imagine there would be some form of quarantine requirements for him to go through just to protect the rest of the team until he can have a few days of COVID testing.

The US will not allow Brazilian or Venezuelan nationals to enter the US right now. I assume there is a sports exemption somewhere, but it must include fairly tough quarantine rules.

I wonder if the smart thing is to have him meet the team in Mexico City and debut a week Tuesday in the second leg... Mexico has no quarantine rules, and CCL isn’t MLS.

MightyDM
04-23-2021, 10:33 PM
I haven't been on these boards for about 36 hours and lst time I checked this thread was 2 pages. Ha! Teaches me. Mini Seba sounds great, and I'm with Ensco, lets get his Santos shirt...!

James17930
04-23-2021, 10:46 PM
if Jozy stays fit he is as good as it gets in that position in this league.

And if my grandma had 2 wheels she'd be a bike.

PaceyWinger
04-23-2021, 11:42 PM
Man, I hope it's true, I really hope it's true! Gonna love to see Soteldo playing for us!

Gonna buy a jersey with his name and number! :cool:
I'll buy that jersey if he picks #52.

PaceyWinger
04-23-2021, 11:43 PM
RIGHT AFTER I bought a Pozo kit too... oh well, I can buy the 2022 MLS Champ kit of Soteldo.

ah.. too bad you just have the kit of the league MVP instead

Auzzy
04-23-2021, 11:43 PM
What is the difference you see between him and Piatti

Totally different player, I didn't see this potential issue at all with Piatti. We've had some other players that might dribble into a thicket like Soteldo. I wouldn't worry about it, we shall see.

The issue with "quarantine" is not only about rules of countries or leagues or whatever. It's that there's a huge risk of COVID and variants in Brazil & associated travel. You don't want anyone else on the team (or families, staff etc.) to get infected, especially not long enough after their first vaccine doses for them to really work. But that risk can be lowered with multiple PCR tests, and who knows maybe in Brazil all the footy players already got vaccinated.

PaceyWinger
04-23-2021, 11:52 PM
Not sure it matters for quarantine but he had Covid already as part of a team outbreak in the winter. May not make a difference..

Auzzy
04-23-2021, 11:55 PM
Not sure it matters for quarantine but he had Covid already as part of a team outbreak in the winter. May not make a difference..

Oh I didn't know that, very interesting. Certainly lowers the risk quite a bit (although it may not affect any official rules). Probably it was already the Brazilian variant in the winter?

jloome
04-24-2021, 01:19 AM
Given that Pozuelo has played as a winger in Spain, Belgium and England, and given that he's pretty dangerous from the edge of the area, it would make a lot of sense to use him in a three-man front with a target striker and Soteldo, who comes inside and scores bangers a lot, based on his youtube clips:

Soteldo----Altidore/Ayo----Pozuelo
-------------Osorio----------------
--------Bradley----Delgado---------
Auro---Mavinga--Gonzalez---Laryea

bought with blo
04-24-2021, 01:58 AM
Given that Pozuelo has played as a winger in Spain, Belgium and England, and given that he's pretty dangerous from the edge of the area, it would make a lot of sense to use him in a three-man front with a target striker and Soteldo, who comes inside and scores bangers a lot, based on his youtube clips:

Soteldo----Altidore/Ayo----Pozuelo
-------------Osorio----------------
--------Bradley----Delgado---------
Auro---Mavinga--Gonzalez---Laryea

Except for not wanting to piss off pozuelo, who believes in his heart of hearts that he is a 10. He does not like playing the wing, like at all.
Also why not throw soteldo on the right and schaffelburg on the left. Soteldo can play anywhere, and schaffelburg is very useful as a speed option on the left. Especially if he has a striker, winger, and 10 opening up space and occupying defenders for him.

PizzaEatingYeti
04-24-2021, 05:17 AM
They should do whatever they want with Soteldo, but should not reduce the joy of playing and the ego of Poz, not even a single millimeter!
Yes Soteldo looks like he'll be great for TFC, but until proven contrary, I value Poz sensibly more for our team than Soteldo would be.

It's more than enough that he'll be paid more than Poz is paid...

PaceyWinger
04-24-2021, 08:16 AM
Except for not wanting to piss off pozuelo, who believes in his heart of hearts that he is a 10. He does not like playing the wing, like at all.
Also why not throw soteldo on the right and schaffelburg on the left. Soteldo can play anywhere, and schaffelburg is very useful as a speed option on the left. Especially if he has a striker, winger, and 10 opening up space and occupying defenders for him.

The heat maps I've seen of Soltedo he occupies solely the left side of the pitch. Could just be how Santos deployed him and he has more tools in the chest, but I'm a HUGE proponent of playing your best players at their best position where poasible and letting the rest of the roster adapt. If that means less playing time for Shaffleburg because he can't adapt (not saying this is true), then lean on someone like Nelson who we know can play on the right. Maybe you go a bit more defensive on the right to guard against the counter since you're bound to have Pozuelo, Soteldo, and the striker(s) pushing forward.

ag futbol
04-24-2021, 08:46 AM
There are a number of things you can do here. My thought is Soteldo plays on the left and Pozuelo plays in the #10 spot. Delgado technically plays on the right but that’s entirely misleading if you just look at a formation because 1) he’s not going to be as advanced as Soteldo, 2) is there to cover for Layrea who we want to get forward 3) Pozuelo will occasionally drift into that space and use it as he sees fit.

A huge chunk of the highlights of Soteldo are him cutting in off the left hand side. Basically looks like his office.

ensco
04-24-2021, 09:06 AM
Maybe the old AC Milan Christmas Tree?

They had Kaka, Seedorf, Ronaldinho (others I am probably forgetting) at AM and used two AMs for years, to pretty devastating effect...

MikeForbes
04-24-2021, 10:26 AM
Both teams that own Yefe's rights (Santos and Huachipato) agreed to the terms of the transfer. Now we await the official announcement. Likely tomorrow or Monday.

barticusz
04-24-2021, 10:34 AM
From Santos FC official site:

Published on April 24, 2021 by Santos FC. This morning (April 24), Santos Futebol Clube agreed to sell the athlete Soteldo to Toronto FC, from Canada, the team that disputes the Eastern Conference of Major League Soccer (MLS). With the transfer, Peixe obtained the release of the Transfer Ban, imposed by FIFA precisely for the debt with Huachipato, of Chile, for the purchase of the Venezuelan striker. Clube Santos transferred its part of the sale to the Chilean team and will pay US $ 500 thousand, to pay off the total amount, divided in installments as of June. In addition, the businessmen will not receive commission for this sale and the player has waived his payments due for the termination of the contract. It was also agreed that Santos will be entitled to 12.5% ​​of a future sale of the athlete, in case he is permanently transferred to a club outside the MLS. For the president of Santos FC, Andres Rueda, the sale of Soteldo was important, as it ended a financial pending issue, which prevented the Club from hiring, Transferban. “It was a proposal that Huachipato also accepted and, mainly, that the athlete wanted. We couldn't handle Soteldo, given this scenario. In fact, Santos bought, but never paid, ”said Rueda. "With this Transfer Ban resolved, we opened a window so that we can consider the occasional hiring, within the financial responsibility that we assume in the Club, of athletes to strengthen the squad, given the participation in many competitions simultaneously", highlights the president. Yeferson Soteldo, 23, arrived at Santos in January 2019, coming from Universidad de Chile, and soon became an idol, especially among children. He scored his first goal with the mythical shirt 10 on January 24, in Paulistão. To date there have been 104 matches for Peixe, swinging the nets 20 times. “We have to thank Soteldo for this period at Santos, which brought us so much joy and his combativeness on the field. We would certainly like you to stay longer and make history with our shirt. We wish you luck in your new club, ”concluded Rueda. Posted in: News Tagged as: santos fc, Soteldo

Well, we got our DP. Seems to be a player that can create a ton and will be exciting to watch. Hopefully he will create a good bond with the guys at the club right away. Definitely seems like a really positive move by Curtis and Manning.

TFC/Everton
04-24-2021, 10:36 AM
from santos fc official site:

Well, we got our dp. Seems to be a player that can create a ton and will be exciting to watch. Hopefully he will create a good bond with the guys at the club right away. Definitely seems like a really positive move by curtis and manning.

let's gooo!!!

MikeForbes
04-24-2021, 10:37 AM
Santos officially posting about the sale might push the announcement up. If Manning or Curtis were smart they would ask for a couple minutes of TV time and announce Soteldo on TSN leading into the game today.

Phil744
04-24-2021, 10:50 AM
My question is can he just us now before the May 2nd window is up or do we have to wait until the July window ?

MikeForbes
04-24-2021, 10:52 AM
My question is can he just us now before the May 2nd window is up or do we have to wait until the July window ?

He can join us now. We are in our transfer window which means he can be registered for all current competitions.

ag futbol
04-24-2021, 10:57 AM
Santos officially posting about the sale might push the announcement up. If Manning or Curtis were smart they would ask for a couple minutes of TV time and announce Soteldo on TSN leading into the game today.
Yes please. This is a big deal, the club should use the opportunity to do some promoting.

OgtheDim
04-24-2021, 11:05 AM
That's quite an investment by MLSE. This is a long term statement of intent about this team.

Edit: Going through the supporters responses to the Santos annoucement - seems a well liked man who gave his all for the team, had a lot of fun on and off that they will miss

His nickname is
pipoqueiro

The popcorn seller

Areathrasher
04-24-2021, 11:08 AM
Absolutely delighted with this

Rust
04-24-2021, 11:19 AM
Soteldo + Pozo will be the best duo in the league!

LET'S GOOOOOO! :flare:

notthesun
04-24-2021, 11:30 AM
The speed with which this came together is a welcome change after the Pozuelo transfersoap. :p

ensco
04-24-2021, 11:31 AM
The speed with which this came together is a welcome change after the Pozuelo transfersoap. :p

I agree. This is the way it should be.

Congratulations to Manning and Curtis.

ensco
04-24-2021, 11:42 AM
His nickname is
pipoqueiro

The popcorn seller

I love this.

We need a nickname for when he and Okello are in midfield together. Laurel and Hardy?

RealG-TFC
04-24-2021, 11:48 AM
On Twitter seeing Santos fans being sad to see him go and Boca fans delighted that he won't play against them in the Copa Libertadores is such a great sign.

Can't wait to see Soteldo and Okello play together hah

reggie
04-24-2021, 11:54 AM
maybe Borre in july if we move Jozy:hide:

MightyDM
04-24-2021, 12:05 PM
I was a doubter of Curtis and Manning, but using the pandemic financial uncertainty to get a player this age and of this apparent skill level is very well done. Jozy is going to be scoring for fun this season.

MightyDM
04-24-2021, 12:06 PM
Unlike Borre, he seems to want to come. And seems a person of decent character at a young age.

MikeForbes
04-24-2021, 12:06 PM
This makes me happy.

https://www.transfermarkt.us/yeferson-soteldo/profil/spieler/312294

Rust
04-24-2021, 12:16 PM
Unlike Borre, he seems to want to come. And seems a person of decent character at a young age.

He does indeed. He said on an interview in Brazil that he's really happy if this transfer gets done because it's an excellent opportunity for him and for his family, since they'll be living in a great city and earning a good money.

He seems really modest, I'm sure he'll give 100% for this club.

Borre wants to go to Europe. Maybe if he doesn't get any european offer he'll rethink everything.

Defoe
04-24-2021, 12:40 PM
If all the Borre rumours were true and we were interested (and it sounds like we were) the fact Borre would cost an estimated 15 million dollar fee and Soteldo will cost just 6.5 million means to me their should be more funds to add another top level player if we can open up another DP spot.

jloome
04-24-2021, 12:48 PM

Soteldo's offensive threat will be more limited on the right. He's right footed, so you want him cutting inside on his strong foot. If you watch his videos, he's very dangerous coming inside, but it's always from the left.

We have no natural wing forward other than Pozuelo; we could push Laryea up but then who plays right back?

mowe
04-24-2021, 12:48 PM
If all the Borre rumours were true and we were interested (and it sounds like we were) the fact Borre would cost an estimated 15 million dollar fee and Soteldo will cost just 6.5 million means to me their should be more funds to add another top level player if we can open up another DP spot.

Borre was a free transfer and we were reportedly offering him a 3 year deal worth ~$15M. Soteldo is a $6M transfer fee + 4-5 year deal worth ~$4M per year. Bigger total investment.

jloome
04-24-2021, 12:50 PM
There are a number of things you can do here. My thought is Soteldo plays on the left and Pozuelo plays in the #10 spot. Delgado technically plays on the right but that’s entirely misleading if you just look at a formation because 1) he’s not going to be as advanced as Soteldo, 2) is there to cover for Layrea who we want to get forward 3) Pozuelo will occasionally drift into that space and use it as he sees fit.

A huge chunk of the highlights of Soteldo are him cutting in off the left hand side. Basically looks like his office.

Marky played right back and DM at Chivas; he doesn't look comfortable on the right, thus the Pozuelo suggestion. If we're going to play Delgado and Laryea high, we might as well switch them and make use of Richie's speed, as Delgado is easily as good a defender.

But neither is ideal as he moves better centrally.

Pozuelo was very effective on the right at Genk, even if it wasn't his prefernce. That pair coming inside would terrify this league, where defenders have a tendency to close late.

Defoe
04-24-2021, 12:51 PM
Borre was a free transfer and we were reportedly offering him a 3 year deal worth ~$15M. Soteldo is a $6M transfer fee + 4-5 year deal worth ~$4M per year. Bigger total investment.

oh got it, thanks for clarifying.

So do you think we will only bring in this 1 player?

ensco
04-24-2021, 12:51 PM
Borre was supposedly offered 18M over 4 years. There was no transfer required but it would have taken something (maybe 1-2 M?) for River to make it work.

Yefe cost more- 18M over 4 years plus the 6.5M transfer. Call it $25M

There is no leftover money, Yefe cost more. (Putting aside my view that Borre was and is never coming here, he can catch on somewhere decent in Europe. He can make a lot of money over there over the next 7-8 years if it works out, and is not throwing away his Colombia MNT career in a World Cup qualifying year, people.)

jloome
04-24-2021, 12:52 PM
A little piece of skill from the big man:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1351094426513367047

MikeForbes
04-24-2021, 12:52 PM
Now that DP watch is over until whenever Jozy leaves, we are on U-22 initiative watch!

Defoe
04-24-2021, 01:03 PM
Borre was supposedly offered 18M over 4 years. There was no transfer required but it would have taken something (maybe 1-2 M?) for River to make it work.

Yefe cost more- 18M over 4 years plus the 6.5M transfer. Call it $25M

There is no leftover money, Yefe cost more. (Putting aside my view that Borre was and is never coming here, he can catch on somewhere decent in Europe. He can make a lot of money over there over the next 7-8 years if it works out, and is not throwing away his Colombia MNT career in a World Cup qualifying year, people.)

Wow this is a huge commitment. So it sounds like there might be enough resources for just the 1 addition

portu
04-24-2021, 01:14 PM
Molinaro saying the deal is done

mowe
04-24-2021, 01:17 PM
I doubt we have the cap space left for any other moves. Signing a DP now instead of July means a full cap hit of $612k. I wouldn't be surprised if the trade for GAM last week was to help fit that number within the cap.

Wish the MLSPA would release the salaries again.

portu
04-24-2021, 01:20 PM
I doubt we have the cap space left for any other moves. Signing a DP now instead of July means a full cap hit of $612k. I wouldn't be surprised if the trade for GAM last week was to help fit that number within the cap.

Wish the MLSPA would release the salaries again.
Unless he’s a Young DP.

Mikmacdo
04-24-2021, 01:37 PM

Solteldo is a left winger. He likes to cut in and shoot with his right, moving him to right wing takes away that threat. I wouldn't mind shaff playing right wing as an inverted winger.

jloome
04-24-2021, 01:54 PM
Solteldo is a left winger. He likes to cut in and shoot with his right, moving him to right wing takes away that threat. I wouldn't mind shaff playing right wing as an inverted winger.

I hadn't thought of that but it might work; Shaff is actually two-footed, he's just mostly played on the left. I suppose they could swing him over.

But our best players on the pitch at the same time means playing either Osorio or Pozuelo as an inverted right-winger. Otherwise, someone sits for Shaffelburg, either Osorio or Bradley or Delgado.

Makes more sense to play Pozuelo there. Whether he likes it as much as central is somewhat irrelevant; if they win a lot and he bags lots of goals, I don't think he'll complain.

----------Altidore-----------
---Soteldo-------Pozuelo---
---------Osorio------------
-----Bradley---Delgado---
Auro--Mavinga--Gonzalez--Laryea

makes the most sense to me.

THey might want Bradley as a high wrecker, in which case he switches spots with Oso. But we can't sit a starter just to play Pozuelo at a preferred spot, when he's going to be just as effective as a wing forward.

Bushmancan
04-24-2021, 01:55 PM
He does indeed. He said on an interview in Brazil that he's really happy if this transfer gets done because it's an excellent opportunity for him and for his family, since they'll be living in a great city and earning a good money.

He seems really modest, I'm sure he'll give 100% for this club.

Borre wants to go to Europe. Maybe if he doesn't get any european offer he'll rethink everything.

It will be interesting to track the two over the next three years to see who made the smarter move.

:scarf:
COYRs

ensco
04-24-2021, 02:10 PM
It’s too soon to say... but the formation thing is probably secondary. Yefe looks to me like he needs the ball to be effective, call him whatever you want.

The key is to make it impossible for teams - if you overload on one of him or Pozo, the other will get you.

portu
04-24-2021, 02:13 PM
It’s too soon to say... but the formation thing is probably secondary. Yefe looks to me like he needs the ball to be effective, call him whatever you want.

The key is to make it impossible for teams - if you overload on one of him or Pozo, the other will get you.
Yefe is def going to open new angles to the attack by sheer will off the dribble. Him and Poz should be deadly.

Auzzy
04-24-2021, 03:13 PM

Also compared to the Borre failed transfer soap.

I'm really impressed that this came together during these extremely difficult times, I had my doubts. Congrats and thanks to the management and ownership! I think in the highlights I've seen some good shots by Soteldo with the left foot as well, I think he does well with both feet.

Let's hope TFC can make it back to Toronto fairly soon so Soteldo & his family can enjoy the "great city" he mentioned in his interview. In the meantime, a resort in Orlando is a fairly nice spot for them to start their time in North America. (Although who knows how soon Soteldo, and especially his family comes.)

JoesphNdo
04-24-2021, 03:17 PM
What I love about this is it represents a change in our DP strategy which can make our big spending more sustainable. We've historically spent big money on players with absolutely no resell value whatsoever. Now they had a huge impact, but we weren't able to recover a penny of investment when we moved them on - we've historically bought players, and paid them, above market value to lure them here

By focusing on younger players we have players with much higher potential resale value (and lower wage demands). It only takes one or two we can sell on for decent funds to cover our DP expenditure for a few seasons. That makes the spending way more sustainable and I think it's a much easier prospect to convince MLSE to keep the purse strings open when you add that angle. I really like this strategy even if it's a little riskier

Defoe
04-24-2021, 11:13 PM
I could see us using 3 attacking midfielders with Altidore up top. Soteldo the left attacking midfielder and Pozuelo and Osorio the right and middle attackers.

-----------Altidore
Soteldo-Pozuelo-Osorio
---Bradley-Delgado
Auro-Mav-Gonzo-Laryea
-----------Bono

rydermike
04-25-2021, 08:02 AM
We have no natural wing forward other than Pozuelo; we could push Laryea up but then who plays right back?

Easy solution ;)

Armas: Hey Richie, you're playing Right.
Laryea: Right back or Right Wing?
Armas: Both. At the same time.

ag futbol
04-25-2021, 08:05 AM
Marky played right back and DM at Chivas; he doesn't look comfortable on the right, thus the Pozuelo suggestion. If we're going to play Delgado and Laryea high, we might as well switch them and make use of Richie's speed, as Delgado is easily as good a defender.

But neither is ideal as he moves better centrally.

Pozuelo was very effective on the right at Genk, even if it wasn't his prefernce. That pair coming inside would terrify this league, where defenders have a tendency to close late.
Well I agree, the place you want Delgado is the middle third of the field, he’s sort of pointless in an attacking role.

All that was to point out, even though Delgado might look like a RW in a lineup chart he’s really nothing of the sort. He’s going to be more central and less advanced than Layrea and/or Pozuelo in any attacking sequence.

Really Layrea is the RW in all situations except when we’re defending in a low block.

Red CB Toronto
04-25-2021, 09:26 AM
So who gets bumped off the roster with it sitting at the full 30? It could be some loans or designate someone for a full season at TFC II. With the vets starting to return some of the kids will need regular minutes.

Mikmacdo
04-25-2021, 09:57 AM
Why are people putting lazy ass Jozy over Ayo?

My 11 when healthy

-----------ayo------
Solteldo-poz-shaff
-----delgado-oso
Auro-mavinga-omar-richie
Bono

Yeah I'd start Delgado and Oso over Bradley they are just flat out better players at this point and I know it won't happen but still TFC were better without Bradley last season.

Who Armas I think Armas will start

---------jozy-----
Solteldo-poz-ayo
----bradley-delgado
Auro-mavinga-omar-richie
Bono

He doesn't seem to care about players being used out of position. I'm hoping just because it's early in the system that's why he won't adapt away from the 4-2-3-1.

Bushmancan
04-25-2021, 10:17 AM
Yes, Akinola played to the right of Jozy yesterday late in the game, more of a right wing than a striker (similar to what Shaf was playing on the left)

jabbronies
04-25-2021, 10:24 AM
Why are people putting lazy ass Jozy over Ayo?

My 11 when healthy

-----------ayo------
Solteldo-poz-shaff
-----delgado-oso
Auro-mavinga-omar-richie
Bono

Yeah I'd start Delgado and Oso over Bradley they are just flat out better players at this point and I know it won't happen but still TFC were better without Bradley last season.

The run we made last year was largely due to this duo in the midfield. When Delgado went down, that is when TFC started to slip.

barticusz
04-25-2021, 11:10 AM
Lol. TFC Instagram posts a happy birthday message for Bono.

He responds with:

“announce Soteldo”

hahaha

MightyDM
04-25-2021, 12:54 PM
Jozy isnt lazy. i'm not going to bother showing all the examples of his hard work off the ball; but not gonna stand by while people say this stuff. Plus, Legend.

Mikmacdo
04-25-2021, 01:44 PM
Jozy isnt lazy. i'm not going to bother showing all the examples of his hard work off the ball; but not gonna stand by while people say this stuff. Plus, Legend.
Have you watched him walk around the past two years?

Red CB Toronto
04-25-2021, 02:26 PM
So who is moved off the 30 man roster with Yef coming in, someone has to go in some way ?