PDA

View Full Version : How Many Points for TFC in 2021?

Initial B
04-14-2021, 07:33 PM
It's that time again: Now that we've had a chance to see TFC before the season starts, where will they end up in the standings at the end of the season this year?

Here is the link to last two years' predictions (which link to earlier versions):
http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?42795-How-Many-Points-for-TFC-in-2020
http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?42164-2019-TFC-Points-Predicition&highlight=2019+points

I was skeptical going into this season, with the COVID weirdness and lack of communication from the club. Armas has my support until at least summer 2022 before I'll pass any further judgement on him. Perhaps we might actually have a couple of youngsters break out this season. I'm still not sold on the defence, but Bradley and the rest of the midfield seem to be in okay shape to control the flow of games. The real question mark is attacking quality up top. I'm assuming that Curtis will wait until mid-season before making moves to bring in additional help, depending on where the perceived weaknesses are in the team show up after a half-season of play. But I'm feeling a lot better about the team's chances now than I was in February. Place your bets, people!

MikeForbes
04-14-2021, 08:09 PM
What is the maximum amount of points? I'll go with that.

Auzzy
04-14-2021, 08:53 PM
Funny you posted this poll AFTER the two games vs Leon. Results would have been VERY different over a week ago!

James17930
04-14-2021, 11:04 PM
Funny you posted this poll AFTER the two games vs Leon. Results would have been VERY different over a week ago!

No kidding.

I'm still going to wait until we're about 5 games in the regular season before answering.

leedsandTFC
04-14-2021, 11:10 PM
No kidding.

I'm still going to wait until we're about 5 games in the regular season before answering.
that's no fun!

James17930
04-15-2021, 12:31 AM
that's no fun!

Sorry – I'm feeling cautiously optimistic right now, but still need a bit more data before trying to make any determinations about the season.

Remember how our 2018 run to the final decimated the squad and sank our league form ...

leedsandTFC
04-15-2021, 01:00 AM
Sorry – I'm feeling cautiously optimistic right now, but still need a bit more data before trying to make any determinations about the season.

Remember how our 2018 run to the final decimated the squad and sank our league form ...

yes, but only about half our first string players played tonight!

i think they learnt from that run, and held back a couple guys that could have dressed tonight in order to play them on saturday.

also, if we do go far, the semis arent til august, so not too congested, which is nice

James17930
04-15-2021, 01:15 AM
yes, but only about half our first string players played tonight!

i think they learnt from that run, and held back a couple guys that could have dressed tonight in order to play them on saturday.

also, if we do go far, the semis arent til august, so not too congested, which is nice

Ah, you're right. I hadn't noticed that. That's a huge improvement from trying to jam the whole tournament into 2 months.

As for whether the club held back players from today's game for Saturday ... that would be a very bold and interesting decision. I'm curious to know if they would take that kind of risk.

OgtheDim
04-15-2021, 06:01 AM

I think they will be different after Saturday.

ensco
04-15-2021, 06:39 AM
Before you pencil in TFC for 77 points, we don’t know how we stack up in the league, and that is not clear based on CCL.

MLS is going to have 5 of the 8 teams in the CCL quarters, and every one of them has looked damn good in this tournament. Only we beat a Mexican team, but historically the Costa Rican teams have given MLS fits.

MLS may put both teams in the CCL final.

Initial B
04-15-2021, 09:23 AM
Well, I always wait until after the last pre-season(?) game before making this annual post. It just so happens that this year the last pre-season game was an epic CCL tilt. I agree with Og that people should take their time answering this poll - lets not let the excitement of the moment interfere with sober judgement. ;)

Bushmancan
04-17-2021, 08:25 AM
They are good right now, but injuries and FO support will be key to being better and winning trophies.

Auzzy
04-17-2021, 03:17 PM
I'm gonna go with "30 Points or less: We're the worst team in the world..." LOL.

OgtheDim
04-17-2021, 04:40 PM
I think they will be different after Saturday.

:iagree:

Initial B
08-28-2021, 06:34 PM
I'm gonna go with "30 Points or less: We're the worst team in the world..." LOL.
I just thought I'd bump this thread as a reminder of how deluded most of us were at the start of the season. Currently, with 2/3 of the season gone, TFC is on track to end up with 23 points. I mean, NOBODY came close to guessing that this season was going to be such an epic disaster. I suppose the caveat should always apply: Past performance does not predicate future returns.

Auzzy
08-28-2021, 08:37 PM
I just thought I'd bump this thread as a reminder of how deluded most of us were at the start of the season. Currently, with 2/3 of the season gone, TFC is on track to end up with 23 points. I mean, NOBODY came close to guessing that this season was going to be such an epic disaster. I suppose the caveat should always apply: Past performance does not predicate future returns.

Wow that's a good point.

In my defence, I never actually voted for anything, I just wasn't sure enough of where it's headed before the poll closed. ;)

MikeForbes
08-28-2021, 09:44 PM

This guy is an idiot.

Ultra & Proud
08-29-2021, 10:57 AM
I predicted 32 points and I think I was way off. At this rate I doubt we can hit 22.

ensco
08-29-2021, 02:17 PM
We are taking a serious run at a league record.

FC Cincinnati had 75 goals allowed as an expansion team in 2019.

We have 47 allowed after 22 games, and should probably be playing kids. I see no reason why we can’t get this one.

Imagine setting the leagle record for goals against with the highest payroll. Now THAT is a high bar- nobody will ever do that again.

kottisinick
08-29-2021, 10:48 PM
We are taking a serious run at a league record.

FC Cincinnati had 75 goals allowed as an expansion team in 2019.

We have 47 allowed after 22 games, and should probably be playing kids. I see no reason why we can’t get this one.

Imagine setting the leagle record for goals against with the highest payroll. Now THAT is a high bar- nobody will ever do that again.

Don’t forget a record for worse total points in a season for Tfc record. Look up 2012 season we were last with a total points of 34 I think we might beat it

Ultra & Proud
08-30-2021, 09:29 AM
Don’t forget a record for worse total points in a season for Tfc record. Look up 2012 season we were last with a total points of 34 I think we might beat it
In 2012 we ended up with 23 points. I think we could break that. I am not sure I see us winning again this season. Maybe a few draws. Still sticking with my updated 22 points prediction.

kottisinick
08-30-2021, 02:26 PM
In 2012 we ended up with 23 points. I think we could break that. I am not sure I see us winning again this season. Maybe a few draws. Still sticking with my updated 22 points prediction.

Yes ur right sorry 23 points we have September bit of October to pick up points

Ultra & Proud
08-30-2021, 02:49 PM
Yes ur right sorry 23 points we have September bit of October to pick up points
Even if we had another 20 matches I am not sure 8 points is attainable at this point.

What is attainable; lowest points total ever & most goals against.

Kamp Berg
08-30-2021, 03:20 PM
Even if we had another 20 matches I am not sure 8 points is attainable at this point.

What is attainable; lowest points total ever & most goals against.

What’s going to be truly nuts is that Curtis probably still believes he did a good job and Manning won’t fire him because it’s a poor reflection on Curtis’ contract renewal. Can you image keeping your job in this situation, even if it’s not all his fault?

Oldtimer
08-30-2021, 04:04 PM
What’s going to be truly nuts is that Curtis probably still believes he did a good job and Manning won’t fire him because it’s a poor reflection on Curtis’ contract renewal. Can you image keeping your job in this situation, even if it’s not all his fault?

I wouldn't be 100% sure of that. Sports is different from other fields, people can be fired even shortly after a renewal.

Case in point: Houston just fired their GM after he was renewed last December.

ensco
08-30-2021, 06:41 PM
Everybody is getting fired for this. Bogers is going to napalm this whole s$&$#show. It's not even a question anymore. Way way way too much money spent - for this.

Ultra & Proud
08-30-2021, 07:38 PM
Everybody is getting fired for this. Bogers is going to napalm this whole s$&$#show. It's not even a question anymore. Way way way too much money spent - for this.

That fitness department & the physios better be gone along with Curtis & a bunch of players.

OgtheDim
08-30-2021, 09:23 PM

Unless Larry T has an idea how to find a good soccer president, I don't think the carpet bombing of the FO includes Manning. Manning has tremendous value for MLSE with the Argos (who are slowly getting their act together on the field & off it - attendance is a 10 year project for them, not a 3 year). The more likely move is to get a well known name in MLS circles to run the soccer operations - the more I think about it, the lack of movement at the trade deadline was likely Manning going to the board with a plan of how to fix this in the off season & them agreeing to let it get to that point by the beginning of the offseason.

There will be people available in December/January that could run this team - out of contract situations happen every year.

ensco
08-31-2021, 06:08 AM
^The current group, not Leiweke, hired Manning. Right around the same time Friisdahl came in. So with time I guess they can do it.

This is Friisdahl's job to figure out. It does boggle the mind that Friisdahl has been here almost six years and hasn’t made a single hire in the sports side of the business. This guy has had the cakewalk of all cakewalk jobs! So yeah - who knows anything about how anything might work here?

They should not be keeping Manning because of the Argos. They can find 100 people qualified to run the business side there.

Initial B
08-31-2021, 12:36 PM
They could move Manning to the Argos full-time, and hire another president/GM to run TFC.

Oldtimer
08-31-2021, 01:04 PM
They could move Manning to the Argos full-time, and hire another president/GM to run TFC.

They could.

My take is that Manning is not going anywhere.

ElvistheEvilScotsman
08-31-2021, 02:31 PM
They could.

My take is that Manning is not going anywhere.

That seems like a significant demotion from TFC and the Argos? Especially when he was brought in initially to be the President of TFC. If he fails at the Argos should the board give him another try with the Marlies? 🤣

Initial B
11-07-2021, 08:37 PM
Well, that's a wrap on the season. TFC improved slightly over expectations from the last update and ended with 28 points - roughly on par with the 2013 season. The only silver lining is that Cincinnati has been worse than TFC ever was, so the team isn't last overall.

Improvements... where to start? Almost the entire spine of the team needs to be replaced - new GM, new coaching staff, new physio/medical staff, new GKs, new CBs, and new strikers are all needed but I don't trust the current Front Office to make that decision. If Bob Bradley comes, I would leave all personnel and coaching decisions to him, move Curtis somewhere far away from the team, and encourage Manning to take a hands-off approach except to rubber-stamp new player acquisitions.

MikeForbes
11-07-2021, 08:45 PM

This guy is still an idiot.

OgtheDim
11-07-2021, 08:57 PM
48 points got playoffs this season in the East

To me, that's a doable goal next season IF there is real turnover in the squad.

PizzaEatingYeti
11-08-2021, 05:04 AM
48 points got playoffs this season in the East

To me, that's a doable goal next season IF there is real turnover in the squad.

Yes, but looking at both Conferences, I would say needs minimum 49 points, and a decent enough goal diferrential to be safe for the playoffs.

Auzzy
11-08-2021, 05:41 AM
Woohoo 28 points, we live below the Cellar Dwellers!

gracos
11-08-2021, 05:55 AM
30 Points or less: "We're the worst team in the world..." Danny Koevermans must of been talking about Ali Curtis, Bill Manning and Javier Perez team this year

Yohan
11-08-2021, 11:25 AM
30 Points or less: "We're the worst team in the world..." Danny Koevermans must of been talking about Ali Curtis, Bill Manning and Javier Perez team this year
have you seen the dumpster fire that is Cincy?

Initial B
11-08-2021, 12:03 PM
Yeah, I'm going to have to revise the choices next year. We've had three seasons below 30 points and we were the worst team in only 1 of them. I'll set it for 25 or less next year and move the upper bound since NER blew away the points record.

gracos
11-08-2021, 01:35 PM
have you seen the dumpster fire that is Cincy?

I have actually, but consider this Toronto has the highest salary spent of any club in the league, and we are only slightly better than Cincy, lol

PizzaEatingYeti
11-09-2021, 07:41 AM
I have actually, but consider this Toronto has the highest salary spent of any club in the league, and we are only slightly better than Cincy, lol

Yes!
Considering this salary spent, not only the final points, we were for sure the worst team of 2021 MLS.
No other team was even close!

Oldtimer
11-09-2021, 08:52 AM
Yes!
Considering this salary spent, not only the final points, we were for sure the worst team of 2020 MLS.
No other team was even close!

Dollar for dollar, maybe the "worst team in the world? (TM)" Very few Div 1 teams in any top 20 league were anywhere as close to catastrophic.

OgtheDim
11-09-2021, 04:23 PM
Just a clarification

We are 4th in team salary

Atlanta
LAG
Inter Miami
TFC
LAFC
Cinci

Spot the trend.......

jloome
11-09-2021, 05:17 PM
Just a clarification

We are 4th in team salary

Atlanta
LAG
Inter Miami
TFC
LAFC
Cinci

Spot the trend.......
Amazing. The more a team spent, practically, the worse they did. Colorado won the west on the last day with the league’s lowest payroll.