PDA

View Full Version : Match Day CCL Rnd of 16 Leg 1 - TFC @ Leon Wed April 7 8pm - But Yes I'm Still Runnin

Pages : [1] 2

OgtheDim
03-27-2021, 09:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3-5YC_oHjE

Its time....

Have at It People

Red CB Toronto
03-27-2021, 09:46 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3-5YC_oHjE

Its time....

Have at It People

I assume TSN has this game?

MikeForbes
03-27-2021, 10:44 PM
Just wanna see the boys put in a shift and give Leon a competitive tie. If anything it will be a great preseason.

OgtheDim
03-28-2021, 08:06 AM
I assume TSN has this game?

According to the CCL page, TSN has the rights. However, go to that date on the TSN schedule and its not there yet.

Bushmancan
03-28-2021, 10:47 AM
Just wanna see the boys put in a shift and give Leon a competitive tie. If anything it will be a great preseason.

I really want to be surprised and I don't like being so pessimistic. But as we all know, the two most important areas we hoped would be re-inforced haven't. Fingers crossed we have misjudged this window and we have more depth than we thought.

MikeForbes
03-28-2021, 09:06 PM
After listening to the commentary over on OneSoccer this month, I pray TSN has the CCL. I'll take hearing what country Osorio represents 2000 times a game over Wheeler or this other guy doing the Olympic Qualifying.

OgtheDim
03-29-2021, 06:17 AM
Hint for one soccer

Go to the settings

Change the Audio to the 2nd choice

You just get the in stadium mics

MikeForbes
03-29-2021, 08:41 AM
Hint for one soccer

Go to the settings

Change the Audio to the 2nd choice

You just get the in stadium mics

You sir are a hero.

noxx98
03-29-2021, 02:09 PM
After listening to the commentary over on OneSoccer this month, I pray TSN has the CCL. I'll take hearing what country Osorio represents 2000 times a game over Wheeler or this other guy doing the Olympic Qualifying.
The broadcast with David Edgar was awful. I know we rag on Caldwell sometimes for never saying anything nice about TFC since he doesn’t want to appear biased, but Edgar was carrying water for everything Canada did.

MikeForbes
03-29-2021, 02:14 PM
The broadcast with David Edgar was awful. I know we rag on Caldwell sometimes for never saying anything nice about TFC since he doesn’t want to appear biased, but Edgar was carrying water for everything Canada did.

I felt like I was listening to a podcast over the game for 90% of the broadcast.

Richard
03-29-2021, 04:14 PM
I'd rather listen to the Spanish commentary, and not understand a word than any of our so called announcers.

Stop feeding me bullshit stats, I watch soccer to decompress not overload my brain with that nonsense. Let the game flow.

Man I miss the World Cup announcers and their solo play by play.

MikeForbes
03-29-2021, 06:08 PM
The Champions League is on OneSoccer. So, get that mute button ready.

OgtheDim
03-29-2021, 06:10 PM
Here's hoping that AUD2 thing still works cause Wheeler is painful.

portu
03-29-2021, 06:16 PM
Here's hoping that AUD2 thing still works cause Wheeler is painful.
I just came here to say exactly this. Glad to see we’re all on the same page haha

Red CB Toronto
03-29-2021, 06:20 PM
Going with One Soccer for this is crap, I would assume if TSN was at the table they would have gotten it, so it really shows how TSN and Sportnets feel about soccer.

MikeForbes
03-29-2021, 07:09 PM
Pretty sure the only person who likes Wheeler's commentary is Gareth Wheeler.

SoccMan2
03-29-2021, 07:30 PM
Won’t be surprised if you also see TSN eventually getting out of showing TFC and Whitecaps and Montreal games and any other MLS games just a matter of time .

Smokecell
03-29-2021, 07:34 PM
Wow OneSoccer for champions league really sucks

Bushmancan
03-29-2021, 07:36 PM
Wow OneSoccer for champions league really sucks

The only answer is they don’t expect them to do well.

EDIT. where do you see One Soccer. I saw TSN.ca and the TSN app, which is better but just as barely.

Edit 2 .. just saw the link https://twitter.com/onesoccer/status/1376670730277027848?s=21

Sorry guys, just cancelled my SSH but will remain a RPB

Smokecell
03-29-2021, 07:46 PM

Thinking about this a bit more - TSN fired KJ and Caldwell will be in mandatory quarantine upon return from CANMNT duty so could be due to staffing, in fairness.

portu
03-29-2021, 07:52 PM
Thinking about this a bit more - TSN fired KJ and Caldwell will be in mandatory quarantine upon return from CANMNT duty so could be due to staffing, in fairness.
I’m hoping TSN just sold rights to One Soccer for the round of 16 only.

daner90
03-29-2021, 08:34 PM
Wow garbage news for TFC fans. Way to really drive the viewership for the champions league!

What a surprise the news comes from one soccer and it's crickets from our head office.

reggie
03-29-2021, 08:55 PM
I had enough of tsn and sn.they own the bloody team,time for me to cut the cord.i wont take ONE serious until they get a proper broadcast crew its like watching your local community cable channel,sign up KJ

noxx98
03-29-2021, 09:11 PM
OneSoccer isn’t all bad. Sharman is great, I enjoy Platt, and Petrillo does a good job.
I think Wheeler’s enthusiasm plays better in shorter bits rather than being the voice for 90 minutes.

Hopefully they bring Sharman and other big names back for Champions league.

ag futbol
03-29-2021, 09:15 PM
Won’t be surprised if you also see TSN eventually getting out of showing TFC and Whitecaps and Montreal games and any other MLS games just a matter of time .
Generally agree. Now that said, as opposed to just signalling their distaste for MLS or televised soccer, I think it’s maybe the start of these networks own existential crisis.

You’re seeing contracts in the US where Amazon and google are bullying their way into live broadcasts. Leagues have long since offered a direct-to-consumer subscription option (yet Canada continues to offer watered down garbage under the same name).

The whole space is ripe for change.

kottisinick
03-29-2021, 10:15 PM

EDIT. where do you see One Soccer. I saw TSN.ca and the TSN app, which is better but just as barely.

Edit 2 .. just saw the link https://twitter.com/onesoccer/status/1376670730277027848?s=21

Sorry guys, just cancelled my SSH but will remain a RPB

What was ur reason for cancelling ur ssh. I thinking of doing the same but sure yet

Blindside16
03-30-2021, 12:45 AM
What I find even more mind numbing and funny is that TSN got rid of KJ, yet if you go to the soccer section on TSNs website and scroll down under the TSN on Twitter section it is KJ

nfitz
03-30-2021, 12:59 AM
I’m hoping TSN just sold rights to One Soccer for the round of 16 only.Why would TSN want any of the other rights?

I'm not sure why anyone is surprised after TSN fired so many people at the end of last season. No one picked up the EUFA World Cup Qualifiers (other than a couple of Italy/Portugal games on TLN) - not even DAZN.

It's on One Soccer or nowhere. Besides, it's not like One Soccer is expensive ... $6.25 a month if you subscribe annually. I've saved far more than that on beer since lockdown started.

And doesn't everyone already have One Soccer as it's now got all the Canada games?

Bushmancan
03-30-2021, 07:33 AM
What was ur reason for cancelling ur ssh. I thinking of doing the same but sure yet

Going to be hard to keep it short and I want to try to capture it correctly.

Been going since year one, bought SSH a little later on and for sure, I am not stopping following the team or being a RPB.

Everyone has their own reason for letting them hold their money, for me it was a contract that i believed would be to continue building TFC, keep some people in their jobs, etc. . I understood the pandemic but i thought the 10% for overpriced concession credits was insulting. Serious, they could have been thoughtful and given a for SSH only limited edition and signed keychain, hat, shirt (just an example, not saying) and that would have contained more value and appreciation.

Screwing up the mailing was beyond pathetic... shit happens, I know. But that was inexcusable in the line of work that I do.

The transfer window has been bad, I even understand not getting Borre. But this reminds me of Teams that drop rumours just to appease fans but have no real intention or direction. The "its hard" comment was sad.

We all know that we likely won’t see many games in person this year, after getting to one last year. it is their responsibility to make the games available to the fans, full stop. I got hooked on TFC because of the Live Experience... I wasn't originally a football fan.

Their corporate parents are the two largest media companies in Canada (one just announced a $21B merger)and they control both major Sports Networks. Their profits in some areas are actually higher.... so back to Leiweke, it is so much easier to keep TFC a winner, watch how difficult it will be for the Raptors. (they are going to need a major break to stay relevant). I expect team leadership to fight for budget, it is hard sometimes to stand up to a board. There is no indication he hasn't done that, but there is no indication he has. Even in his town hall.

Only thing we hear is Ali and Manning got contract extensions, so job security over performance could be interpreted.

Trying not to be cynical and nothing against OneSoccer (it should be supported) they negotiated part of this deal last January 2020 but introducing a new subscription service for the team a week before the game... unbelievable. TFC could fund the subscription for one month for SSH that's a $100-200k but grows their base, grows OneSoccer builds a caring brand.... IT IS TOO EASY.

TFC can manage optics very easy... perhaps it will be dual broadcast (maybe a different SSH credit) but we don't know. To let someone announce this in advance and not say anything tells me the PR department has no clue what's going on or understand ands how to embrace the fanbase. Oh wait, they do know how to post on twitter and instagram and probably have great metrics.

I do not doubt, I will again be a SSH. TBH, I don't think it will be difficult, considering how they are disengaging the fans. I think the management have messed this up so bad; they broke my contract and don't deserve my money right now (it took a lot). It is my only recourse.

I don't know if that helps but right or wrong that is how I came to the decision.

"All for One"

ensco
03-30-2021, 07:34 AM
Networks have figured out that events that don’t get any incremental ratings (like an early round TFC CCL game, which will for sure get less than 100K) are not worth anything. Advertisers don’t value a soccer audience, they will pay the same as they would for everything else that draws flies, eg darts or a Leafs rebroadcast or whatever.

So whatever TSN can get from onesoccer or whomever is better than keeping it. They will just take it back if/when a Canadian team advances deep enough.

Bushmancan
03-30-2021, 08:06 AM
Networks have figured out that events that don’t get any incremental ratings (like an early round TFC CCL game, which will for sure get less than 100K) are not worth anything. Advertisers don’t value a soccer audience, they will pay the same as they would for everything else that draws flies, eg darts or a Leafs rebroadcast or whatever.

So whatever TSN can get from onesoccer or whomever is better than keeping it. They will just take it back if/when a Canadian team advances deep enough.

I agree if all you measure is ratings and clicks. The one mistake with this is there is a longer term goodwill that isn't measured with specific ad placements. I have no doubt that Manning and Curtis are Soccer people, but long term goodwill and brand development in a market like Toronto is trickier than most realize. You cannot nickel and dime.

Red CB Toronto
03-30-2021, 10:03 AM

The only value I could see for TSN would be from a technical aspect of getting a feel for doing a broadcast from Orlando as they will have to do once the regular season starts for TFC home games, but then I realized the Reds home leg vs Leon is actually being played at Osceola County Stadium in Kissimme, former of Orlando City's USL team.

Red CB Toronto
03-30-2021, 10:08 AM
I agree if all you measure is ratings and clicks. The one mistake with this is there is a longer term goodwill that isn't measured with specific ad placements. I have no doubt that Manning and Curtis are Soccer people, but long term goodwill and brand development in a market like Toronto is trickier than most realize. You cannot nickel and dime.

I think honestly they probably did not have a choice or say in this decision to pass it on One Soccer for whatever they got, even though TSN is a partner in MLSE. Each department, subsidiary etc has their own responsibility to their bottom line, whatever makes sense for them.

noxx98
03-30-2021, 10:41 AM
I think honestly they probably did not have a choice or say in this decision to pass it on One Soccer for whatever they got, even though TSN is a partner in MLSE. Each department, subsidiary etc has their own responsibility to their bottom line, whatever makes sense for them.
Although you're probably right on this, someone needs to recognize that this is a case of the "sum is greater than individual parts". If TSN carries the CCL, it's a loss leader, but it grows the profile of their other asset (TFC) and increases the marketability of the team and improves in stadium advertising revenue as well.

I think Rogers has done a good job of this with the Jays (for the most part). They've realized that the Jays can just be a giant billboard for anything related to Rogers Wireless, internet, cable, etc. Perhaps harder with MLSE due to the shared ownership structure.

OgtheDim
03-30-2021, 02:22 PM
Giving these games to OneSoccer makes TSN look better with the CSA, seeing as OneSoccer is basically the CPL's version of SUM.

All about 2026.

MikeForbes
03-30-2021, 02:42 PM
I wonder how sustainable OneSoccer is. They seem to be paying for a lot of rights to random leagues and I am not sure they can bring in enough subscribers to turn a profit on any of them.

I consider myself a pretty big fan and I only subscribe to them for months like these where they have NT games and now CCL. If TFC goes out against Leon I will likely cancel my subscription until June. 10 bucks isn't much, but all the different streaming services to watch soccer really adds up.

ensco
03-30-2021, 03:08 PM
It's funny about cable. Bundling like that doesn't make sense long term. Cord cutting grows every year. But it takes a long time for consumer behaviour to really change.

Reminds me of Blockbuster. Everyone knew it would die, but it took 20+ years for video on demand to really happen.

If Blockbuster is the right comparable cable will go from dying gradually to dying suddenly with the snap of a finger.

Give poor onesoccer and all the rest a break. Netflix was crap too at the beginning, for years.

I suspect we will eventually have a sophisticated player that aggregates all the soccer content under one umbrella, and we are not going to like the pricing, as it'll cost more than cable does currently. That's what has happened in a lot of Europe.

Bushmancan
03-30-2021, 05:03 PM
Giving these games to OneSoccer makes TSN look better with the CSA, seeing as OneSoccer is basically the CPL's version of SUM.

All about 2026.

It has nothing to do with OneSoccer, kudos to them. When was the team going to tell their fanbase, now you may then respond with they only figured it out last night to defend them. And I call BS on that because they would have know two weeks ago that it was a possibility. They had two town halls and they have been saying we are getting ready for Leon. It is simply a lack of respect.

ag futbol
03-30-2021, 05:24 PM
Trying not to be cynical and nothing against OneSoccer (it should be supported) they negotiated part of this deal last January 2020 but introducing a new subscription service for the team a week before the game... unbelievable. TFC could fund the subscription for one month for SSH that's a $100-200k but grows their base, grows OneSoccer builds a caring brand.... IT IS TOO EASY.

This is a great point. With group discounts and a expanded awareness for One Soccer they probably could have negotiated this at a fraction of the price quoted.

But that would have taken an actual knowledge of the fan base, novel thinking, and empathy for their customers.

The attitude we get from these guys is like they are above providing any explanations.

ensco
03-30-2021, 05:29 PM
It is simply a lack of respect.

More likely they are just disorganized, kind of in fail mode, overwhelmed. I can't even imagine the crazy they must be dealing with. The medical stuff, the weird arrangements in a weird state (Florida), this Mexico trip (across a border in the pandemic), the Mexican side of this (how do you stay safe there?), all the family stuff....

This season is probably a writeoff, all kinds of things are going to go wrong. It's not the FO's fault. TO sports teams are totally screwed by the pandemic.

Bushmancan
03-30-2021, 05:39 PM
More likely they are just disorganized, kind of in fail mode, overwhelmed. I can't even imagine the crazy they must be dealing with. The medical stuff, the weird arrangements in a weird state (Florida), this Mexico trip (across a border in the pandemic), the Mexican side of this (how do you stay safe there?), all the family stuff....

This season is probably a writeoff, all kinds of things are going to go wrong. It's not the FO's fault. TO sports teams are totally screwed by the pandemic.

Again, I am a massive fan and I love the club. The FO gets paid significant dollars to do this and only this. They are part of MLSE and have those resources assisting the way as well. Think of the teams in this league that have none of that backing, but appear to be coping. I am not trying to humiliate them, I am just saying they are supposed to be professionals, just like the players on the field. They are supposed to be the top in the North American soccer world, and quite frankly from the outside looking in, they appear to not care much about their most loyal fanbase. It is the really small and not expensive things that make the difference.... customer first. Maybe they could read this forum and wake up.

Oh and btw, the FO just received extended contracts.

OgtheDim
03-30-2021, 09:21 PM
TSN owns the rights - this isn't a TFC thing at all.

kottisinick
03-30-2021, 09:25 PM
Hey everyone remember Tfc and goal tv? Lol

nfitz
03-31-2021, 12:14 AM
I'm confused on how showing the games on more expensive TSN is "making the games available to the fans", but showing it on the cheaper OneSoccer service isn't. It's not like they give us TSN discounts (unlike CPL SSH who do get OneSoccer discounts.

Personally, with the schedule being so back-end heavy, I'm hoping that we do have at least half-the-season in the stands. But if not - it's not like we are losing much, other than interest on our tickets. Current rate for my bank account is 0.05%. That would be 50¢ a year on $1,000.

Besides - wasn't there an option to get a refund without losing SSH status?

Red CB Toronto
03-31-2021, 12:40 AM
Hey everyone remember Tfc and goal tv? Lol

Yep most definitely. TFC Today was the daily show, Some of those GOL TV TFC Broadcasts ratings were dreadful, 10-15K even.

OgtheDim
04-02-2021, 09:52 PM
Can't really tell what the lineup will be from the highlights of the CBus friendly except maybe Jozy starting. Did not see any defender baring Auro & I think Dunn in one shot.

Red CB Toronto
04-03-2021, 09:17 AM
Can't really tell what the lineup will be from the highlights of the CBus friendly except maybe Jozy starting. Did not see any defender baring Auro & I think Dunn in one shot.

They must have been shooting the whole time from the end the Reds were attacking. Depending on the knocks that have been mentioned some have picked up, wonder if we make see Singh, Yaro etc play against Leon, at least be on the roster? They would not have to sign an MLS contract to do so as its not a league game.

OgtheDim
04-05-2021, 06:29 AM
Hey...we got a game in 2 days :scarf:

Graeme
04-05-2021, 07:13 AM
Can we guess the starting line up? I have no idea who is healthy.

Westberg
Auro Gonzalez Mavinga Morrow
Laryea Delgado Bradley Osorio
Pozuelo
Altidore

Auzzy
04-05-2021, 07:37 AM
Can we guess the starting line up? I have no idea who is healthy.

Westberg
Auro Gonzalez Mavinga Morrow
Laryea Delgado Bradley Osorio
Pozuelo
Altidore

That looks reasonable. However I thought there was news of some mild injuries? I'm guessing we might see one or two young guys in the starting lineup. We've had limited pre-season games, and almost no info about the lineups during those games, nor how people played (aside from the goals). Plus a new coach with a new philosophy. I think the lineups for the next few games can only be guessed.

Do we know the number of subs allowed? Is it still 5 subs, during no more than 3 interruptions in play (plus half-time, and full-time if the game goes to overtime)?

I don't even know the overtime & away-goal rules for this edition of the CCL... :noidea:

levyashin
04-05-2021, 08:44 AM
From all of the information that this website has gathered together (good detective work guys)I now know that there is a soccer team named Toronto FC based out of Florida.
Management in the past two years has totally ignored the knowledgeable fans with their crap attitude so the cynic in me is ready to say FU after being a day one supporter.
Sad

MikeForbes
04-05-2021, 09:37 AM
It is game week and I am not as excited as I feel like I should be.

Bushmancan
04-05-2021, 10:18 AM
From all of the information that this website has gathered together (good detective work guys)I now know that there is a soccer team named Toronto FC based out of Florida.
Management in the past two years has totally ignored the knowledgeable fans with their crap attitude so the cynic in me is ready to say FU after being a day one supporter.
Sad

Actually, the one thing i buy into is releasing very little on what we are doing (new formation, healthy players etc. etc. ) The less Leon knows the better, there is merit to that argument. We shall see.

I think we will see a couple of the young guys as well.

:scarf:
COYRs

ag futbol
04-05-2021, 10:26 AM
Actually, the one thing i buy into is releasing very little on what we are doing (new formation, healthy players etc. etc. ) The less Leon knows the better, there is merit to that argument. We shall see.

I think we will see a couple of the young guys as well.

:scarf:
COYRs
I mean, you can market the team without releasing much in the way of useful information to the opposition.

MikeForbes
04-05-2021, 10:38 AM
If Leon were unaware of what Marshall-Rutty looked like before, they know now as TFC have released more photos of him on Twitter in the past month than he has professional minutes played. Huge disadvantage for TFC, IMO.

jabbronies
04-05-2021, 11:09 AM
If Leon were unaware of what Marshall-Rutty looked like before, they know now as TFC have released more photos of him on Twitter in the past month than he has professional minutes played. Huge disadvantage for TFC, IMO.

:smilielol5:Scouting reports based on photos alone.

OgtheDim
04-05-2021, 12:01 PM
Just a reminder - LigaMx teams traditionally use some 3 digit on the back youth players in these round of 16 games too.

We really have no clue what we are going to face either.

ag futbol
04-05-2021, 12:19 PM
Just a reminder - LigaMx teams traditionally use some 3 digit on the back youth players in these round of 16 games too.

We really have no clue what we are going to face either.
Guess we’ll have to see. Historically that was definitely the case but I think this tournament started to get a bit of heat after MLS teams knocked out a few Liga MX sides and there was a lot of hand wringing in the Mexican Press.

daner90
04-05-2021, 02:52 PM
Super excited that we have a match this week. Really have no idea what to expect from our side but I cannot wait for Wednesday night!

Bushmancan
04-05-2021, 04:10 PM
I mean, you can market the team without releasing much in the way of useful information to the opposition.

I was saying it under the context of releasing footage, not the way they are managing the fan base, apologies for the confusion.

OgtheDim
04-05-2021, 06:07 PM
Hmmm....might want to keep the sound on

https://twitter.com/KristianJack/status/1379203626372108290

MikeForbes
04-05-2021, 06:38 PM

Great get for OneSoccer. Hope he is doing color over studio work.

reggie
04-05-2021, 06:47 PM
i like Wheeler.but not has a play by play guy,for me to take one soccer serious they need a play by play guy,

Yohan
04-05-2021, 10:48 PM
I think Leon will play their first team.

Getting beaten by LAFC on first knockout round was not good for Leon especially up 2 goals after first leg last year.

DavemTFC
04-05-2021, 11:27 PM

Too bad it'll probably be alongside, not at the expense of, Wheeler

ag futbol
04-06-2021, 05:55 AM
Too bad it'll probably be alongside, not at the expense of, Wheeler
Yeah, not to complete write the guy off, as I think he does some good things, but One Soccer is basically lowering themselves to the production level of community television by having Wheeler call the games.

He sounds like a mixture of dying cat and a 13-year old comic book nerd who has been given the chance to interview Captain America.

OgtheDim
04-06-2021, 06:12 AM
My expectations for this game as far as a result are low. Our only real mitigating factors stopping us from getting wupped is our team probably has more CONCACAF experience then any other MLS team, what with the CanMNT & USMNT & CCL games
&
possibly being not taken so seriously.

I hope to see "so what the heck are we doing this year" a bit but even that I'm not sold we will see that much.

Still, its a game.....will take it.

noimpactinmtl
04-06-2021, 10:22 AM
Yeah, not to complete write the guy off, as I think he does some good things, but One Soccer is basically lowering themselves to the production level of community television by having Wheeler call the games.

He sounds like a mixture of dying cat and a 13-year old comic book nerd who has been given the chance to interview Captain America.

With all respect to Wheeler, his strengths are hosting half-time shows and pre/post game shows. His experience at podcasting doesn't translate into play-by-play.

OgtheDim
04-06-2021, 12:44 PM
Sooooo....sleuthing time....this video is very dark.

Is anybody missing? Not sure I saw Jozy

https://twitter.com/TorontoFC/status/1379486433216356357

MikeForbes
04-06-2021, 12:56 PM
The only thing we can take for granted in that video is that the "young guns" are there. The social media has been laser focused on Nelson and JMR all pre-season and basically nothing else.

MikeForbes
04-06-2021, 01:09 PM
Don't see Osorio, Pozuelo or Altidore. Delgado, Bradley, Laryea, Auro, Bono, Westberg, Gonzalez are the others I easily noticed watching the video on my phone.

reggie
04-06-2021, 02:10 PM
frankly i dont even care anymore,these stupid mind games.its like belichick is running this team.

FootBallAZ
04-06-2021, 02:20 PM

LOLL

Red CB Toronto
04-06-2021, 02:27 PM
I will be curious with it being Champions League if anyone not currently on the MLS roster is added Josh Yaro, Matt Di Rosa etc similar to what they did in 2019.

portu
04-06-2021, 02:38 PM

I was going to find a “different way” to watch this game, but now I’ll be subscribing to watch.

noxx98
04-06-2021, 03:18 PM
Altidore played in the recent friendly, so he should be fit to play (hopefully). It's been over a week since Poz was featured in any photos, I wonder if he's out. He's been an incredibly healthy player historically (last notable injury was in 2017).

reggie
04-06-2021, 06:18 PM
Although the
@TorontoFC
has not given information about it, but everything indicates that due to injury, the MVP of the
@MLSes
of 2020, Alejandro Pozuelo, would be out for tomorrow before #LaFieraXFOX in #LigaDeCampeonesXFOX
well here we go...looks like MB will be our #10 tomorrow

portu
04-06-2021, 10:08 PM
Although the
@TorontoFC
has not given information about it, but everything indicates that due to injury, the MVP of the
@MLSes
of 2020, Alejandro Pozuelo, would be out for tomorrow before #LaFieraXFOX in #LigaDeCampeonesXFOX
well here we go...looks like MB will be our #10 tomorrow
LOL I give up

Richard
04-06-2021, 11:53 PM
Serious question, why didnt we just forfeit? This tournament is a logistical nightmare in the current climate. I don't think anyone would blame them, I really don't think this tournament should have been held this year either.

MikeForbes
04-07-2021, 08:18 AM
First TFC gameday of 2021.

barticusz
04-07-2021, 08:40 AM
Altidore is there. I had a bad feeling about Pozuelo and it’s not looking like he’s there. They would have shown him on the various social media images.

in any event, I am pumped for this game. Yes it’s likely we’ll lose as we haven’t had any real games up until now but who cares, it’s champions league time! I’m even going to subscribe to OneSoccer for the day.

MikeForbes
04-07-2021, 08:52 AM
The midfield is gonna be interesting to see with no Pozuelo or Osorio. Bradley and Delgado are probably sure bets to start, who joins them? Priso? The legend of Liam Fraser?

613reppingTFC
04-07-2021, 09:15 AM
I think they will give Shaff and maybe even Gallardo a start

Bushmancan
04-07-2021, 09:30 AM
Altidore is there. I had a bad feeling about Pozuelo and it’s not looking like he’s there. They would have shown him on the various social media images.

in any event, I am pumped for this game. Yes it’s likely we’ll lose as we haven’t had any real games up until now but who cares, it’s champions league time! I’m even going to subscribe to OneSoccer for the day.

Not repping One Soccer on this ... but if you want to watch the return leg, you may as well get the full month. It is only $9.99. vs $5.99 for the day.

ag futbol
04-07-2021, 09:50 AM
I think they will give Shaff and maybe even Gallardo a start
I’ll be interested to see if Gallardo can be more effective in this new system. He’s probably never going to reach the heights that were advertised when he signed but there’s no reason why he couldn’t carve out an Endoh-like niche for himself with the team.

Not repping One Soccer on this ... but if you want to watch the return leg, you may as well get the full month. It is only $9.99. vs $5.99 for the day.
I hate piling on additional subscription services but between the recent Canada games and now the CCL, I’ve got a decent amount of value out of One Soccer in the past month. Once the Gold Cup is over it’s a prime target to be cancelled but for now it’s okay.

noxx98
04-07-2021, 10:04 AM
Just hypothesizing based on social media, but I wouldn't be surprised if Mavinga is also out. He hasn't been featured in any recent social media and many of the photos he posted on his own social media are later-grams.

barticusz
04-07-2021, 10:05 AM

Agreed. In the remote chance TFC does get past Leon and assuming TSN doesn’t pick up the QF that’s another two games to fit within this month.

FootBallAZ
04-07-2021, 10:12 AM
LOL I give up

are they still using the same strength and conditioning trainer - I only see the REDS pick up injury in practices - is Armas pushing the guys too hard?

FootBallAZ
04-07-2021, 10:13 AM
im excited, soccer is soccer, hoping to catch it on stream.

Definitely dont expect much with pozeulo being out- lol all that hype with the card and his message and he is out.

the vibe is off for sure- a win or draw would go a long way here.

lets get it , dont stop

Bushmancan
04-07-2021, 10:15 AM
I just hope One Soccer and Media Pro have the streaming capacity for today

mowe
04-07-2021, 10:37 AM
First TFC gameday of 2021.
I know there has been a lot of negativity in this board over the offseason, but I’m so excited!

Finally get to watch TFC again. Plus it’s CCL which we haven’t been a part of for a while.

Graeme
04-07-2021, 10:48 AM
After scouring twitter, I see that there are no confirmed injuries/absences, just vague "sources". Could be a raft of injuries or could just be an attempt to get Leon to field a weak team against us...I guess we'll find out in a few hours!

Edit: Now I see an article in the Sun with this quote: "Toronto FC coach Chris Armas admitted in a Zoom call on Tuesday that some of his players will not be available for Wednesday’s match." No news on which players, but knowing our luck, almost definitely Poz. However, I note it does not say "not available due to injury".

PizzaEatingYeti
04-07-2021, 11:00 AM
These are the average bookie lines at this hour:

Club Leon - Toronto FC
1 = -204
X = +315
2 = +505

Not encouraging... at all.
Meaning that bookmakers are seeing TFC like a huge underdog.

SoccMan2
04-07-2021, 11:12 AM
Cruz Azul who is in first place in the Mexican league right now tied a club team from Haiti, who Hamilton’s Forge FC should have beaten and it would have been Forge playing Cruz Azul last night , anyways Cruz Azul tied the Haitian club team 0-0 in the first leg of their Champions League two game series . Therefore, if a Haitian team can get a result against a the top team in Mexico I think there is hope for TFC in this game .

MikeForbes
04-07-2021, 11:24 AM
We signed Luke Singh to a short term deal for tonight.

https://twitter.com/joshuakloke/status/1379828053661089792?s=20

ensco
04-07-2021, 11:37 AM
I don’t know what to do here.

We are a vagrant team that had a Covid outbreak wreck training camp, we are missing Poz and Oso, we are playing a Liga MX team at altitude...

Am I really supposed to spend six bucks to watch us lose 6-0?

RealG-TFC
04-07-2021, 12:29 PM
My hopeful prediction is we park the bus and get a goal via penalty from some Laryea concafing. 3-1 Leon.

Red CB Toronto
04-07-2021, 12:51 PM
Yeah this match is only for the diehards if that. I ponied up the $9.99 for the month. But in reality how many in Toronto actually know this game is being played. As you said there is little value for the networks to show events like this. Heck if TSN has kept the game it would be up against the Leafs Habs tonight. Hopefully this is not a total blow out.

I don’t know what to do here.

We are a vagrant team that had a Covid outbreak wreck training camp, we are missing Poz and Oso, we are playing a Liga MX team at altitude...

Am I really supposed to spend six bucks to watch us lose 6-0?

Yohan
04-07-2021, 12:53 PM
The CCL should be available on fox sports 1 for those that have the means to get it

Luanda
04-07-2021, 01:02 PM
It is listed as available at:

https://www.usagoals.net/portal.html

Ultra & Proud
04-07-2021, 01:17 PM
The CCL should be available on fox sports 1 for those that have the means to get it
It is. I watched all the ones yesterday on there.

rydermike
04-07-2021, 01:29 PM
Bono front and centre in the new match preview posted on instagram. Guess he's the starter over Westberg

MightyDM
04-07-2021, 01:48 PM
Yes, you are.

FootBallAZ
04-07-2021, 01:54 PM
Bono front and centre in the new match preview posted on instagram. Guess he's the starter over Westberg

Lol im lost for words. 134 days and they hold out three starters lol, i guess they are hoping for a draw and then back in florida go full tilt.

is there any pre game interviews with the team or coach?NVM - see one for armas and bradley.

Kiwi10
04-07-2021, 02:10 PM
New coach, system and a boatload of injuries leading into the first game of the season has the bar set pretty low. Curious to see how seriously the game is taken and if the club still has ambitions for CCL or treating it like an intense pre-season. What's our best 11 here given the injuries and desire to press? Do we see the forward destroyer Bradley that's been hinted? Do the kids get much runway?

Bono?
Auro - Gonzalez - Mavinga - Morrow
Delgado - Fraser
Laryea - Bradley - Gallardo
Jozy

Maybe Nelson on the left with Gallardo on the right and Auro/Laryea at LB/RB? I guess we don't know if Deleon is in the dog house after his covid commentary. Does Endoh's work rate get him more of a look with this system? Priso/Fraser and Perruzza/Mulinho could be interesting battles for minutes.

Really just hoping this isn't like the Independiente disaster and we actually get some building blocks for the rest of the year coming out of this one.

Good thing is Leon knows as little as we do at this point!

MikeForbes
04-07-2021, 02:31 PM
Mullinho scores 4, TFC wins 4-3.

rydermike
04-07-2021, 02:33 PM
Based on who got individual/duo shots is in the pre-game video

Bono
Laryea-Zavaleta-Omar-Auro
Gallardo-Bradley-Fraser-Okello
Jozy-Mullins

Subs based on being in the background: Singh, DeLeon, Delgado, Dorsey

https://twitter.com/i/status/1379856504480788487

Captain
04-07-2021, 02:35 PM
Has there been any indication of who had Covid-19? We know that some players and staff were affected. Yes they had to quarantine but who actually had Covid? If any players did it could be a long time before they're fit enough to run 90 minutes or even 30 minutes at altitude.

Red CB Toronto
04-07-2021, 02:43 PM
I am really thinking we will see at least some of the kids tonight. We all know what happened against Independiente, Griffin Dorsey played, Jacob played and even Duante Campbell was on the bench. I still don't understand when one of these short term deals in required and when it is not. Random TFC II players like Brian James, Malik Johnson, Kyle Bjourthen have popped up in the 18 for Canadian Championship and CCL games. For some you can not even find a transaction for them. This group of kids the Reds have now is night and day compared to what has been with the club in the past. Would be great to see Jordan get a run out, he does have the instinct.

New coach, system and a boatload of injuries leading into the first game of the season has the bar set pretty low. Curious to see how seriously the game is taken and if the club still has ambitions for CCL or treating it like an intense pre-season. What's our best 11 here given the injuries and desire to press? Do we see the forward destroyer Bradley that's been hinted? Do the kids get much runway?

Bono?
Auro - Gonzalez - Mavinga - Morrow
Delgado - Fraser
Laryea - Bradley - Gallardo
Jozy

Maybe Nelson on the left with Gallardo on the right and Auro/Laryea at LB/RB? I guess we don't know if Deleon is in the dog house after his covid commentary. Does Endoh's work rate get him more of a look with this system? Priso/Fraser and Perruzza/Mulinho could be interesting battles for minutes.

Really just hoping this isn't like the Independiente disaster and we actually get some building blocks for the rest of the year coming out of this one.

Good thing is Leon knows as little as we do at this point!

Red CB Toronto
04-07-2021, 02:48 PM
Has there been any indication of who had Covid-19? We know that some players and staff were affected. Yes they had to quarantine but who actually had Covid? If any players did it could be a long time before they're fit enough to run 90 minutes or even 30 minutes at altitude.

None and unless the players, coach or staff talk about it we will never know, there is privacy here. What the Canucks are facing right now, really shows how serious it can get. As far as I know nothing has leaked about their situation so really do not expect it.

Captain
04-07-2021, 02:51 PM
None and unless the players, coach or staff talk about it we will never know, there is privacy here. What the Canucks are facing right now, really shows how serious it can get. As far as I know nothing has leaked about their situation so really do not expect it.

I agree we'll never hear. Just thinking about all the players who are not expected to play tonight and yet we have not real explanation for why they are being held out.

OgtheDim
04-07-2021, 03:06 PM
From what was stated last night, KJ is in the pre/halftime/post game slots for discussions - what he did with TSN.

Excited to see a game tonight. No expectations of a result - the tie could be done by the end of this game, to be honest.

MikeForbes
04-07-2021, 03:12 PM
If we do get pummeled tonight, Twitter will be sooooo excited since it will likely be TFC II against Leon next week.

OgtheDim
04-07-2021, 03:30 PM
A lot of TFC twitter still wonders why we don't resign Giovinco sooooo.........

I think this is 2 games of "play your kids" along with some vets to get a handle on the playing style and if happen to get to the last 30 minutes still in with a shout, fine.

Red CB Toronto
04-07-2021, 04:08 PM
Outside of the diehards , how many people in the city even know the Reds are playing tonight and its not like they are randomly going to stumble upon it flipping the channels with it being on One Soccer. Has TFC even sent out an email say where the game is being shown tonight to STH etc?

MikeForbes
04-07-2021, 04:21 PM
I feel like casual interest in TFC is gone. Look at the Twitter comments lately, it is basically just Leon fans bantering.

daner90
04-07-2021, 04:43 PM
I feel like casual interest in TFC is gone. Look at the Twitter comments lately, it is basically just Leon fans bantering.

Unfortunately our social media team only seems interested in selling the new kit and not building hype for the upcoming season

jloome
04-07-2021, 05:54 PM
LOLL

Wheeler is a print guy who has diversified for practical reasons. He started freelancing with the Sun chain when I was still there. He just loves soccer and wants to cover it, so I don't blame him. But he's not a natural broadcaster.

Print guys who survive in soccer do it by being realllly good at it, like Neil, Steve Goff, a handful of others. Most are also good at long-form feature writing, and soccer is often relegated to that sort of space rather than heading the breaking news slots, so it fits.

He's good for the game here. He's a lot better than he was when he started out, so he's working on his skillset. Most of the time these days in journalism that's about what you're going to get.

Good news about Kristian Jack, though. Hardworking, likeable dude apparently, with great sources. I don't think I've ever talked to him but my memory ain't what it was. I did a few of the radio shows when I was still column-n-nizing, so it's possible.

jloome
04-07-2021, 06:01 PM
Unfortunately our social media team only seems interested in selling the new kit and not building hype for the upcoming season

I don't think Jeff Bradley was ever a breaking news guy. He was a feature writer at SI and other mags, that I recall. So he's probably never run a daily news cycle, doesn't understand the difference in assingning daily and generally covering a beat, as you might at a weekly or monthly. It's much, much more work to generate buzz than people realize. You need multiple staff working narrative (story) angles every day, new ones every day. You need to have drive to make the content talked about and relevant.

It's a crazy job when it's done right. I was the Sun's city editor in Edmonton before they laid off all the staff and went from "sensationalized" to "right-wing propaganda". When I took over the city desk, we had 18 daily reporters and three bureaus, and on an average day I would assign and juggle about a hundred different or new angles to have the reporters produce about 30 stories. Of those, about one-third were just "breaking" news, important daily events. But to get ahead, it was the two-thirds we had to think up daily that made the difference. We did very well before the cuts, circulation rising steadily, even beating the Journal some weekends, with half the staff and story space.

And that's basically how PR works in a nutshell: generate buzz, generate exposure, give them new 'value added' content.

So believe me, if they wanted to be a big game in town in terms of buzz, it is possible. But it takes someone with a rare insanity to pull it off, and there's a high burnout factor. You can run a top PR/story generating team for five years but much more than that and efficacy plummets somewhat.

jloome
04-07-2021, 06:10 PM

I have a bad feeling from the last couple of Armas/Bradley interviews. The one today on mlssoccer.com, Armas expresses himself so poorly you could easily interpret what he and Michael are saying as the team has not totally bought into what he's selling.

He has a nervous energy to him, and Vanney was basically Joe Kool. I'm a little worried that regardless of his ideas, he seems excitable without the 'commanding' part, like he's worried what people think of him. I dunno, I might be reading it wrong, but that usually doesn't bode well. I got the same sense from John Carver, who has never made it back to management. He as been an assistant coach -- apparently very good at on field technique but not striking the right locker room tone -- his entire career. Also a former player.

Some former players have that commanding edge, that "you may not like me, but you'll respect me and what I'm teaching you side." Even Vanney had it, albeit in a more subdued, polite sort of way.

MikeForbes
04-07-2021, 06:12 PM
We are starting a lot of central midfielders. Bradley, Delgado, Okello and Priso.

FootBallAZ
04-07-2021, 06:12 PM
https://twitter.com/TorontoFC/status/1379932698978947072?s=20

Bono
Laryea - Gonzalez - zavleta -auro Jr
Priso- delgado-bradley
Okello-shaffelburg
Altdiore

OgtheDim
04-07-2021, 06:14 PM
Let the Year of the YUTES BEGIN

OgtheDim
04-07-2021, 06:17 PM
So, missing are

Poz
Osorio
Westberg
Mavinga

Pretty much what the sleuths on this thread were saying..

OH, and Morrow

MikeForbes
04-07-2021, 06:19 PM
How long of a run do we think Altidore has tonight? Over/under 60 minutes?

portu
04-07-2021, 06:21 PM
I’m excited to see how all the guys perform tonight none more than Jozy. Having him in form may well be the difference between trophies or no trophies this season.

OgtheDim
04-07-2021, 06:23 PM

Hmmm...that reminds me, we get to see how Armas does subs - can't remember what he did with NYRB but EVERY supporter discussion group I know hates how their manager does the subs.

rydermike
04-07-2021, 06:26 PM
Bono
Laryea-Gonzalwz-Zavs-Auro
Priso-Bradley-Delgado-Okello-Shffleberg
Altidore

Silva,Dorsey, Fraser, Gallardo,Mullins, Peruzza, Singh

MightyDM
04-07-2021, 06:27 PM
From what was stated last night, KJ is in the pre/halftime/post game slots for discussions - what he did with TSN.

Excited to see a game tonight. No expectations of a result - the tie could be done by the end of this game, to be honest.

The tie could be done 15 minutes in. This is the lowest expectations pre game I have had for years - but it really doesnt matter.

OgtheDim
04-07-2021, 06:27 PM
That defence is slow. Interested to see if Zavs can move the ball around.

MikeForbes
04-07-2021, 06:31 PM
I notice there is no Nelson or JMR on the bench. They both made the trip based on the videos.

FootBallAZ
04-07-2021, 06:31 PM
Priso I think will have a good game .
Zavleta starting is interesting, this will really show if management should have added another CB.
He did have some good games last season.

I was looking forward seeing pozuelo.

They said we want to play for trophies, here we go

MightyDM
04-07-2021, 06:32 PM
https://twitter.com/TorontoFC/status/1379932698978947072?s=20

Bono
Laryea - Gonzalez - zavleta -auro Jr
Priso- delgado-bradley
Okello-shaffelburg
Altdiore

Did not see Okello -Shaff coming. holy cow. good news about Jozy

MightyDM
04-07-2021, 06:33 PM

87 and pulled for the applause

Ultra & Proud
04-07-2021, 06:34 PM

Total time out there; just over 60 minutes.

Useful time out there; 30-35 minutes then hands on hips and walking.

noxx98
04-07-2021, 06:50 PM
Altidore is going to put up an MVP caliber season this year - I have a feeling.

OgtheDim
04-07-2021, 06:53 PM
AAAAAUGGGHHHH...its going to be Dunfield & Wheeler on the call.

leedsandTFC
04-07-2021, 06:53 PM
Altidore is going to put up an MVP caliber season this year - I have a feeling.

cursed it, nailed on to get season ending injury within 30 mins now

MikeForbes
04-07-2021, 06:58 PM
No commentary for me tonight.

alex andrew
04-07-2021, 06:58 PM
one second, one second please...

so i have to pay and share 'once again' data

in order to see the game ?

no biscuit ?

how am i supposed to 'test' onesoccer ?

Kamp Berg
04-07-2021, 07:02 PM
I’d rather see Singh play than Zavaleta. Instead we get two pylons playing a high line?!
I really want to be wrong but this sounds like such a horrible idea.

Red CB Toronto
04-07-2021, 07:03 PM
I want to see what the plan is for Griffin Dorsey heading into his third season with the team, how does Armas view him?

ag futbol
04-07-2021, 07:10 PM
Armas wearing a suit in that heat. Brave.

I’d be dressed like Phil Scolari

OgtheDim
04-07-2021, 07:12 PM
Reminder people

Settings

Audio

Aud2

All you get is the onsite sound

OgtheDim
04-07-2021, 07:14 PM
Wow...free header in the first 25 seconds

mowe
04-07-2021, 07:14 PM
Should’ve scored there!

MikeForbes
04-07-2021, 07:16 PM
Delgado looks like he is being used as a RM.

Rust
04-07-2021, 07:17 PM
I don't have a good feeling about this game because of our lineup. :(

I'll be more than satisfied with a draw in this first leg.

benito
04-07-2021, 07:18 PM
Dark socks with the red kit? That’s a new look for tfc.

noxx98
04-07-2021, 07:19 PM
Bradley playing energized so far, good to see after how he tailed off at the end of last season.

MikeForbes
04-07-2021, 07:20 PM
Bradley and Delgado playing really well to start.

MightyDM
seen them given.

ag futbol
Layrea busting out the secret move!

Ultra & Proud
04-07-2021, 07:22 PM
Onesoccer might have Wheeler but I'm pretty sure this is Lalas on FS-1.

Ugh.

portu
04-07-2021, 07:24 PM
Okello has got some fucking class

OgtheDim
04-07-2021, 07:25 PM
Okello looks....smooth

MightyDM
04-07-2021, 07:26 PM
Okello is a revelation so far

Auzzy
Mullinho scores 4, TFC wins 4-3.

I’d rather see Singh play than Zavaleta. Instead we get two pylons playing a high line?!
I really want to be wrong but this sounds like such a horrible idea.

As upgrading the team in the offseason didn't go too well, I think we have to work much harder on upgrading the names.

I mean, I think Thiago Silvaleta is going to really solidify our backline tonight.

MikeForbes
Okello just devours ground with those long legs.

Bushmancan
04-07-2021, 07:27 PM
Does anyone know where the RPB Shields are from Joe’s.... I used touched them before every CCL game. Not jinxing anything because we didn’t win. LOL

MikeForbes
04-07-2021, 07:28 PM
The only guy I haven't really noticed so far is Priso.

portu
04-07-2021, 07:28 PM
I could see Okello starting, guy is just smart

OgtheDim
04-07-2021, 07:29 PM
Auro is going to get stretched out that side - likely place where their goal(s) will come from.

portu
04-07-2021, 07:29 PM
The only guy I haven't really noticed so far is Priso.
Me too, and I've got a high bar for him after the I don't expect to be here long comments

MikeForbes
04-07-2021, 07:34 PM
Very, very impressed so far.

noxx98
TFC looking like the far better team here. Need to be careful with some of these close offside calls, but they showed up.

OgtheDim
Ok, its 20 minutes in and we are likely to fall completely apart in the next 70 due to fitness but.....the kids are doing alright & the modified press shows promise.

Auzzy
04-07-2021, 07:38 PM
Oh well, nice start.

MikeForbes
Jesus. What a strike.

ag futbol
Well that was outrageous. Nobody is stopping that.

RealG-TFC
04-07-2021, 07:39 PM
I ain't even mad

Bushmancan
Can’t stop that...

rydermike
Knew we needed to capitalize on those chances. Gorgeous strike

OgtheDim
Only thing on that goal is MAYBE Okello comes back quicker to cover but that is a golazo.

MikeForbes
Michael "I'm a centerback too" Bradley.

jloome
04-07-2021, 07:40 PM
Well that was outrageous. Nobody is stopping that.

Great strike. I'd like to see the angle and whether Bono had adjusted his feet yet for the cross. It looked in the slow mo like he needed an extra step to get across before diving, and he got a piece of it.

But great strike. Goalie would have to be perfect to get that.

FootBallAZ
04-07-2021, 07:42 PM
Wow lol dang

portu
04-07-2021, 07:43 PM
Great strike. I'd like to see the angle and whether Bono had adjusted his feet yet for the cross. It looked in the slow mo like he needed an extra step to get across before diving, and he got a piece of it.

I still think Bono can start on this team. It’s going to be nice to see some guys get a second chance this year.

Bushmancan
04-07-2021, 07:44 PM
They are doing some great runs without the ball... and crosses into the box. Who is this team?

jloome
04-07-2021, 07:47 PM
I still think Bono can start on this team. It’s going to be nice to see some guys get a second chance this year.

He needs his confidence back. I'm a little wary because his rookie year, he had such a good defence ahead of him he didn't see much action most games. When he did, he had some great saves, but also quite a few boneheaded decisions.

When the good defensive leader left, we suffered a lot back there. That was Moor's rep his whole career (and still in Colorado), marshalling the back line. With increased chances there were increased mistakes.

Even when we gave him a chance in Westberg's first year he looked shaky. But then Westberg had a few moments last season, too.

I guess at some point you either accept you don't have a league top 3 goalie, a Zack Steffen or Andre Blake ( or, lord help us, a Stefan Frei. Dumbest move ever.) . If that's the case, until we get a chance to get someone like that, he maybe has the higher potential and value.

But I don't think there' s a doubt that over the prior two seasons Westberg looked much more confident and consistent.

Auzzy
OK Priso, hotdogging in the middle of the field for no good reason, and then only jogging back slowly after coughing up the ball...

OgtheDim
Auro....where quick ball movement dies.

MightyDM
04-07-2021, 07:48 PM

Brilliant strike but in the replay it looked like Bono got a hand to it. So not entirely impossible to save.

MikeForbes
04-07-2021, 07:51 PM
Yeah, at half I would move Delgado back to the middle and bring Priso off for Gallardo.

mowe
04-07-2021, 07:52 PM
Not sure Laryea needed to press there. Left the right side wide open.

jloome
04-07-2021, 07:52 PM
Priso's workrate has been kinda shit so far.

Edit: although on the replay that was deliberate, hitting the player's sliding arm. That was clever and sneaky.

portu
04-07-2021, 07:53 PM
Priso's workrate has been kinda shit so far.
For a DM he’s putting way too much time into the wrong side of the ball

MightyDM
04-07-2021, 07:55 PM
Bradley looks really good and fully recovered from his injuries

MightyDM
04-07-2021, 07:55 PM
And this is a CONCACAAF referee ...

Bushmancan
04-07-2021, 07:56 PM
Great play by Omar, dangerous but great play.

jloome
04-07-2021, 07:56 PM

Yeah, they're trying to use Bradley and him as co-trailers, one on each side at the bottom of a triangle to turn the ball inside. But he's not seeing the ball at all, and has been late when there have been chances there, with Okello and Shaffelburg 10 yards faster than him. So they seem to be trying to use him two-way as well, but it's not working so far.

OgtheDim
04-07-2021, 07:57 PM

Edit: although on the replay that was deliberate, hitting the player's sliding arm. That was clever and sneaky.

We've been fairly good at doing the CONCACAF dark arts in this game so far - especially Omar.

MikeForbes
Only 45 minutes so I won't be too harsh on him, but Priso wouldn't be the first 18 year old to believe the hype around him and stop working hard. Hopefully he is just learning the system and a touch behind so far.

FootBallAZ
Not looking good .

Didn't fee like 70/30 possession for Leon

Bushmancan
04-07-2021, 07:59 PM
They are playing smarter now, east to west. 1st Game at altitude, tire us out, but I am very happy with the 1st half result.

MightyDM
04-07-2021, 07:59 PM
Vastly better than I expected and even than I dared to hope. Lots of bright lights.

jloome
04-07-2021, 08:00 PM
Could still get something out of this.

Okay, bets in. Pozuelo is absent because
a) Covid risk.
b) Kidnapping risk
c) demoralizing loss due to 60th minute altitude burnout risk....
d) minor injury.

ag futbol
04-07-2021, 08:00 PM
Hey I’ll take it. Honestly to play a team in mid season with 3 youth players and without your star... can’t complain.

I’d go to the subs bench early. These guys will gas and we might as well rotate a bit

Auzzy
04-07-2021, 08:02 PM
Hey I’ll take it. Honestly to play a team in mid season with 3 youth players and without your star... can’t complain.

I’d go to the subs bench early. These guys will gas and we might as well rotate a bit

Agreed! TFC could easily have scored 2 or 3 goals on some very decent chances. That would really have changed things, especially since Leon doesn't seem super comfortable when pressed hard.

rydermike
04-07-2021, 08:02 PM
Really impressed with Okello so far. Shaff looking more like his 2019 self that showed potential.

ag futbol
04-07-2021, 08:03 PM
It feels like Priso is Bradley today... without the need to scoop every ball off the back line.

ensco
04-07-2021, 08:05 PM
This game has way exceeded my expectations.

Jozy should have buried that Shaff cross in the first 25 seconds though.

DavemTFC
04-07-2021, 08:10 PM
This game has exceeded my very very low expectations

portu
04-07-2021, 08:12 PM

I feel like that was a really difficult chance. If he’d scored that it would have been like holy shit what a header. Same kinda principle as if Bono saved the goal.

PaceyWinger
04-07-2021, 08:13 PM
I will echo everyone else in saying I am very pleasantly surprised so far. TFC right now is not 1 brilliant strike away from being a good Mexican team. Try not to let it get out of hand and if possible sneak an away goal. Maybe you get Pozuelo, Osorio, Mavinga, (and dare we dream Akinola) back and we can shock these guys with some rotation with quality.

Imagine if Jozy's header had some power 25 seconds into the game? Or if Okello could have gotten his leg up for a volley? Panic stations if so for Leon. Keep up the work rate and be smart.

Auzzy
04-07-2021, 08:16 PM
Wow Shaff with a tiny bit better ball control there could have had a goal as well.

rydermike
04-07-2021, 08:18 PM
Why was Okello subbed. I thought he was playing really well

OgtheDim
04-07-2021, 08:19 PM
Concacaf baby

Auzzy
Woohoo stop the counting start the car!!!!!!

rydermike
I'll take that. Great press

portu
04-07-2021, 08:20 PM
Gallardo is hereby immune from criticism for the next week.

MightyDM

We just made up for that...

rydermike
Gallardo thriving under Armas

tfcfans
WOOHOO:scarf:

daner90
Omg yesssss!!!

ag futbol
Finally that kid got a damn break. I’m happy for him

FootBallAZ
Lol Gallardo deserved that

Bushmancan
04-07-2021, 08:21 PM
Gallardo is hereby immune from criticism for the next week.

Shaf. Has been pretty damn good as well

daner90
Gallardo magic

FootBallAZ
Anyone can get a gif of Altidore hands going to his head then straight up as it went in lol

MightyDM
Gallardo thriving under Armas

Hahahahhaha

portu
Shaff excellent high and wide.

Jozy looks good as well. Intelligent and aggressive running. I love it.

PaceyWinger
04-07-2021, 08:22 PM
HAHHAHAAAAAAAAHA! like, i don't expect tfc to win the game but oh my god was that goal perfect for this competition. what an away goal lol.

jloome
Altitude, schmaltitude.

Yohan
Hrm. Laryea needs to be subbed before he gets red carded

Auzzy
04-07-2021, 08:23 PM
Why was Okello subbed. I thought he was playing really well

Seriously, unless Okello was tired or something. Gallardo was a good sub, but why not for Priso instead of Okello after that first half?

portu
04-07-2021, 08:24 PM
I'd like Fraser on for Priso. Priso doesn't look like he belongs at this level today.

Auzzy
04-07-2021, 08:24 PM
How the hell was that not a yellow (for the foul on Delgado)?

ag futbol
04-07-2021, 08:26 PM
I'd like Fraser on for Priso. Priso doesn't look like he belongs at this level today.
Little too overconfident. He’s looking off the easy pass and trying to thread the needle too often

MikeForbes
04-07-2021, 08:27 PM
I notice that Armas has put Delgado high up the field to do the pressing for Jozy.

Auzzy
Come on Laryea, you had two simply passes available with TFC in a high position, you try something fancy instead and almost give up a goal.

PaceyWinger

I don't think it's been his best day but Priso has led Canada at U17 World Cup and other big events. He's young but has decent experience.

Subs will be real important between 70 and 80 so we can't get too crazy.

Auzzy
04-07-2021, 08:30 PM
Beautiful play for TFC up front, but come on, one guy to the front post and one to the back post, that could have been an easy goal but nobody in front of the net.

OgtheDim
04-07-2021, 08:31 PM
Looks like Gallardo got himself injured

MikeForbes
04-07-2021, 08:31 PM
Zavaleta putting in a shift. I maintain he was better than Ciman last year.

jloome
04-07-2021, 08:32 PM
Ever since we scored, it's like the wind has picked up or something. Suddenly the Leon players are having trouble standing.

MikeForbes
04-07-2021, 08:32 PM
Game over for Leon. Here he comes...

Auzzy
04-07-2021, 08:33 PM
Game over for Leon. Here he comes...

Still plenty of time for his hat trick.

Yohan
04-07-2021, 08:34 PM
Priso out, Mullinho in. We got this!

FootBallAZ
04-07-2021, 08:37 PM
Wow Jozy coming all the way back with 23m left

OgtheDim
04-07-2021, 08:40 PM
Jozy just pulled up & said "need a sub"

MikeForbes
Jozy... Why did Armas leave him on so long?

Bushmancan
Bring on Peruzza, scratch that Dorsey.

15 minutes boys....

FootBallAZ
Jozy ham string injury lol

Auzzy
Wow Jozy coming all the way back with 23m left

Don't worry, he'll be back in time for the MLS playoffs.

Yohan
aaaand Jozy's done

rocktml
04-07-2021, 08:41 PM
Time to move on from Altidore

portu
Jesus Christ... and this why Jozy can’t be a DP.

MikeForbes
Jozy and Gallardo done. This is not optimal.

MikeForbes
04-07-2021, 08:42 PM
Liam Fraser with an awful haircut.