PDA

View Full Version : Canadians Derek Gaudet and Dave Simpson on trial?

Limani_Ole
08-06-2008, 08:09 AM
Why waste time with the likes of Chad Barrett when you have good Canadian strikers with European and international experience available?

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/472870

lets hope we get at least Simpson..

justin
08-06-2008, 08:11 AM
already a thread about it in the news section

http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=4264

Nodoubtguy
08-06-2008, 08:14 AM
Why waste time with the likes of Chad Barrett when you have good Canadian strikers with European and international experience available?

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/472870

lets hope we get at least Simpson..

Why is Chad Barrett such a waste of time???

Limani_Ole
08-06-2008, 08:16 AM
Why is Chad Barrett such a waste of time???

well not a waste.. but if i had a choice I would go with some experienced canadian strikers.. no?

Nodoubtguy
08-06-2008, 08:18 AM
at this point I'd go with whoever can get the ball in the net....I could care less if there from Canada, the US, or Mars!!!

rocker
08-06-2008, 08:44 AM
well not a waste.. but if i had a choice I would go with some experienced canadian strikers.. no?

simpson isn't a striker. chad barrett is.

GuelphStorm2007
08-06-2008, 08:45 AM
Lets see how these two guys perform. I have to be honest with you all I have never seen Simpson Play.

Flipityflu
08-06-2008, 08:52 AM
at this point I'd go with whoever can get the ball in the net....I could care less if there from Canada, the US, or Mars!!!

well its good you said that. there is a young Marsian striker Mo should look at named Xchilo Boibbspacht who can apparantly control the ball with his mind. the only drawback is that there may be concern about the artificial turf on its four legs.

Nodoubtguy
08-06-2008, 08:54 AM
well its good you said that. there is a young Marsian striker Mo should look at named Xchilo Boibbspacht who can apparantly control the ball with his mind. the only drawback is that there may be concern about the artificial turf on its four legs.

I've heard that he no longer feels that is an issue because he has vowed to learn the power of levitation.....

Flipityflu
08-06-2008, 08:58 AM
beauty

a four legged levitating telekenetic extra terrestrial is just what TFC needs really. probably get him on the front cover of the next EA FIFA game.

Bluenose13
08-06-2008, 09:11 AM
simpson isn't a striker. chad barrett is.Simpson was always a striker up until the last couple of years when they tried to convert him to an attacking midfielder.......He can play both I would think.

Daveisonfire
08-06-2008, 09:51 AM
Gerba is not on trial.
The other Canadian is Derek Gaudet

denime
08-06-2008, 10:01 AM
Gerba is not on trial.
The other Canadian is Derek Gaudet

You better be right about Derek,I just changed the thread name.
It will be ALL YOUR FAULT if it's not true. ;)

Daveisonfire
08-06-2008, 10:13 AM
the name of the other guy (not David Simpson) is Derek Gaudet.

He's with Canada's u-20 team.

Carver said they're considering him for their developmental roster.

John Molinaro
CBCSports.ca reporter

:canada:

Dunc
08-06-2008, 10:33 AM

sounds basque

CoachGT
08-06-2008, 11:52 AM
After the Dallas game, I asked De Vos if he could score on this team, His reply? At least 15, maybe 20.....

Flipityflu
08-06-2008, 12:04 PM
sounds basque

Basques have four legs?

Just TFC
08-06-2008, 12:08 PM
supposedly Dave Simpson has signed. better than nothing cuz TFC really needs some help... jeez, we haven't won since...?

http://ukpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5hrKfzCCawxIf27bjFLVvfBCTQNI7ZA

Just TFC
08-06-2008, 12:08 PM
for some reason the link isnt working.. hmm

VPjr
08-06-2008, 12:39 PM
Let's not go overboard about Dave Simpson. Just because he was on a European club roster doesn't make him "the solution".

He was on Sparta Prague's roster for the 1st part of last year but I don't recall him playing much, if at all, for the 1st team. Then, he was sent to FK Said Most when Sparta acquired Andre Hainault from that team during last January's transfer window.

I remember reading reports that we was involved in a car accident soon after joining Most and I don't recall hearing much about him after that.

Dave would be a nice depth player but I sincerely doubt he's the answer to our goal scoring woes.

Guadet would be a nice player for the Dev. squad. I wish MLS teams could have an unlimited (or at least, a greatly expanded) Dev. Squad roster for domestic players.

I don't imagine any MLS teams will go bankrupt paying out $13-14K wage packets annually so that they can recruit a much larger pool of talented young players into their systems. It would create a highly competitive atmosphere, which is always a good thing. Wouldn't it be nice if each team had enough young players in their system so that they can definitely schedule a reserve match every week (or at worst, every other week)? In TFC's case, a Reserve "B" team could also be organized for the players who don't make the cut for the Reserve "A" team and the "B" team could play in the CSL, with a mix Academy team players sprinkled in.

Limani_Ole
08-06-2008, 12:52 PM
good points.. but I dont think anyone here is suggesting he will be "the solution"..
as Barrett/Ibrahim/Smith is not the solution for our striker wows..

Ali Gerba would be a start towards one.. but again only a season striker that would demand DP money could come close to filling the void up front..

VPjr
08-08-2008, 09:38 AM
Turns out Dave Simpson is NOT on trial with TFC. He had requested an opportunity to train and get back into playing shape after a very long layoff but it was misconstrued by some (including some in TFC management) as a trial.

Dave confirmed this himself on the V's website (screen name: Daveanthonysimpson)

Link: http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16734&whichpage=2

Shaughno
08-08-2008, 09:42 AM
Turns out Dave Simpson is NOT on trial with TFC. He had requested an opportunity to train and get back into playing shape after a very long layoff but it was misconstrued by some (including some in TFC management) as a trial.

Dave confirmed this himself on the V's website (screen name: Daveanthonysimpson)

Link: http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16734&whichpage=2

And people doubted me when I said I have a feeling these are just training opportunities. :lol:

DigzTFC!
08-08-2008, 09:59 AM
All that says is he needs to get back in shape. Maybe down the road he is still an option. For next season maybe. Let him keep training. Push the boys for fitness.

Gobi
08-08-2008, 10:15 AM

Oh man, I think you've written my new sig! :)

Ossington Mental Youth
08-08-2008, 10:15 AM
Carver seems to think that he was on trial too.
Perhaps Simpson is covering his ass (and ego) if he doesnt get signed?

The former Toronto Lynx forward has been working out with TFC all week, and while Carver plans to extend the tryout into next week, he admits the 25-year-old Scarborough native has underwhelmed the coaching staff.
"He certainly hasn't jumped out and hit me in the face to say 'lets sign him,'" Carver said. "Because I would have signed him by now."

http://thestar.blogs.com/torontofc/2008/08/striker-surplus.html

Ossington Mental Youth
08-08-2008, 10:17 AM
Ah, finished reading that thread.
Interesting.
Regardless i bet he doesnt sign, this small scale drama alone would do it.

joel
08-08-2008, 10:19 AM
I don't know, from reading Dave's comments on the V board I would tend to believe his account.

VPjr
08-08-2008, 12:08 PM
Carver seems to think that he was on trial too.
Perhaps Simpson is covering his ass (and ego) if he doesnt get signed?

http://thestar.blogs.com/torontofc/2008/08/striker-surplus.html

with the way TFC works, it doesn't shock me at all if the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

I'm quite certain that if Dave was fit and he and the team could agree on a salary, he'd be an upgrade over many of the players currently on the roster. He's not a world beater but I'd rather have a Dave Simpson over a Tyler Rosenlund, Kevin Harmse or even Chad Barrett, to be honest.

Personally, I believe Dave is going to look to hook up with someone in Europe once he's healthy again. He's been snake bitten the past 12-18 months with various health issues so hopefully he can recover fully and re-jumpstart his career.

DigzTFC!
08-08-2008, 02:46 PM
Just out of curiosity, doesn't it seem strange that he would work out with TFC who have field turf while trying to recover from serious injuries? I think he would sign if offered a contract.

Jay P
08-08-2008, 02:53 PM
well... he's from Toronto.. makes sense to train with TFC,

JDG trained with TFC recovering from an injury.

players just don't like plastic grass, it doesn't necessarily cause injuries.
I'm pretty sure all the RPB that had the kickabout @ BMOon the weekend can still walk okay.

Bobo
08-08-2008, 02:56 PM
Realistically, Simpson > Cunny? May as well give it a shot at this point.

joel
08-08-2008, 03:04 PM
Just out of curiosity, doesn't it seem strange that he would work out with TFC who have field turf while trying to recover from serious injuries? I think he would sign if offered a contract.

It makes sense because you have world class coaching/training and facilities in your home town, so why not. It's probably a lot harder to get fitness if you don't have a good coach/trainer putting you through the paces.

Razcle
08-10-2008, 08:00 AM
Gaudet is now officially on the TFC roster....check the home page

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/players/roster.jsp?club=t280

And as VPjr pointed out Dave Simpson came on the V's board and wrote

"i never intended to try out with toronto f.c in the state I am in . i wanted to train with them to get fit and game ready. i had not trained in a while, so i was looking for a high level of training. thats why it was not said that i was coming. Because of a misunderstanding between a representative and the club the training turned into a trial. i would never go on trial in the condition im in now. if i were trying to impress toronto f.c i would have went in at a later date.

as for sparta i am trying to resolve the problem with them and leave the club. problems with payment and how they use me has been the main source of my wanting to move on.i was very niave to try to keep this a secret in toronto. it was my mistake and pretty sure i will not be training with them any further unless we are on the same page. i would neer want how i train now to represent who i am as a player.

thanks for the concern"
http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16734&whichpage=2

ExiledRed
08-10-2008, 08:12 AM
Why are we the rehab gym for wayward players, who aren't interested in playing for us, these days anyway?

ag futbol
08-10-2008, 09:51 AM
Build up some goodwill i guess. Seems to happen on occasion in world football.

Good news about Gaudette. Always nice to have more youth.