PDA

View Full Version : Greg Vanney Steps Down

Pages : [1] 2 3

jabbronies
12-01-2020, 10:08 AM
Looks like we need a new Gaffer as well
https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2020/12/01/greg-vanney-steps-down-toronto-fc-head-coach (https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2020/12/01/greg-vanney-steps-down-toronto-fc-head-coach)

glaze
12-01-2020, 10:20 AM
I called for Vanney out, a lot. But now I'm having flashbacks to Mariner and his shorts and fearing what the replacement may be.

denime
12-01-2020, 10:23 AM
At least core roster is in tact, it's not full rebuild, however I think we should dial down our expectations for next season.

Inklink
12-01-2020, 10:25 AM
Oh wow. Good luck to Greg. Where's he going?

rydermike
12-01-2020, 10:27 AM
US national team? or the Galaxy?

Ben - D.O.W.
12-01-2020, 10:28 AM
For all of those who have been calling for this - who exactly do you think we're going to have come in and improve this position?

I think we're going to look back on this as the start of a rough period for TFC, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Areathrasher
12-01-2020, 10:28 AM
Fucking hell

MikeForbes
12-01-2020, 10:29 AM
This really sucks...

Bushmancan
12-01-2020, 10:30 AM
I called for Vanney out, a lot. But now I'm having flashbacks to Mariner and his shorts and fearing what the replacement may be.

I find in MLS in particular, it is somewhat easier to find a Head Coach but a Manager is critical in this league and Ali is the wrong person for a big MLS club like Toronto. The more Leiweke's hand on this team is replaced, the more challenged we will be. In the scheme of MLSE expenses, this is a rounding error. TFC is a great brand, now known across the league, keeps Toronto a winner in sporting circles, while Raptors, Leafs and Jays figure their acts out. Unless the new US administration does something to get Covid under control we may not be back at BMO until the summer. We need something special with teams clipping hard at our heals.

I find Ali and Manning lacking in that department, I hope I am wrong.

flambe
12-01-2020, 10:30 AM
God damn it, so now we need two new DP's, upgrades across the back AND a new coach.

MikeForbes
12-01-2020, 10:33 AM
My deepest fear now is that they will hire Caldwell and we will only start Liam Fraser at every position.

benito
12-01-2020, 10:35 AM
Good luck to Greg and thank you for bringing stability to TFC.

This is a disappointing news and I hope they can find someone capable and this doesn't turn into a revolving door.

Ultra & Proud
12-01-2020, 10:39 AM
US national team? or the Galaxy?
I hear the Galaxy. I get it but he is in deep there.

As for us, I look at the bright side. Probably go with a younger roster and no more Zavaleta for sure. Hopefully replace Conway and the fitness staff as well. I assume this was known to some degree since Vanney held off on resigning the contract he was presented in October. Hopefully Curtis was making some calls already.

tfcfans
12-01-2020, 10:39 AM
WOW -- the "Gregfather" scarf needs to be made.....he will go down as our first "legendary" (in a good way) coach in club history.....is it wrong that I am very nervous as to who comes in next, and what effect that has on the group?

backbeat
12-01-2020, 10:41 AM
I hear the Galaxy. I get it but he is in deep there.

As for us, I look at the bright side. Probably go with a younger roster and no more Zavaleta for sure. Hopefully replace Conway and the fitness staff as well. I assume this was known to some degree since Vanney held off on resigning the contract he was presented in October. Hopefully Curtis was making some calls already.

my fear is that Curtis is making calls.....

reggie
12-01-2020, 10:46 AM
ali the coach killer strikes again,im not too excited to see ali make this choice,it may take until june at the pace he does things,

Smokecell
12-01-2020, 10:52 AM
Gutted about this but optimistic that it's for the best

69Chevy396
12-01-2020, 11:07 AM
My prediction: Michael Bradley becomes the new TFC Mgr.

Ultra & Proud
12-01-2020, 11:09 AM
Also this is a big hire so I expect it falls in Manning's lap.

MikeForbes
12-01-2020, 11:09 AM
Offer Kroenke 20 bucks to take Robin Fraser back.

ag futbol
12-01-2020, 11:11 AM
I find in MLS in particular, it is somewhat easier to find a Head Coach but a Manager is critical in this league and Ali is the wrong person for a big MLS club like Toronto. The more Leiweke's hand on this team is replaced, the more challenged we will be. In the scheme of MLSE expenses, this is a rounding error. TFC is a great brand, now known across the league, keeps Toronto a winner in sporting circles, while Raptors, Leafs and Jays figure their acts out. Unless the new US administration does something to get Covid under control we may not be back at BMO until the summer. We need something special with teams clipping hard at our heals.

I find Ali and Manning lacking in that department, I hope I am wrong.
As a general point, I agree with your thesis here of needing a good promoter like Leiweke.

Someone who understands it’s not just about winning on the field it’s also about providing a product people are excited to see. Giovinco spinning defenders in circles or Pozuelo carving open defences gets us into the highlight reel and widens our audience.

We’re in a large market and if you quietly go about your business it’s easy to get lost in the shuffle. I’m just not sure the current front office group understands that.

jloome
12-01-2020, 11:14 AM
My prediction: Michael Bradley becomes the new TFC Mgr.

Doubtful. He doesn't have the credentials technically or professionally and he's not particularly well-liked by other players. He has a rep as being aloof and arrogant, not helped by Jimmy Conrad shitting all over him to other members of the U.S. Nat team, or Dempsey suggesting Bradley was behind a Klinsmann coup.

All I can say is I hope he's not fleeing because of Ali Curtis, ala Marsch in New York. They lost one of the best coaches in the league, now we're going to as well.

I think, more likely, the Galaxy have thrown a bucket of money at him, and it's his original club.

But the fact that it came a day after we turned down Piatti's option makes me nervous that his relationship with our GM wasn't tight, either.

I mean, he could've signed a new contract a few months ago. The fact that he didn't when Schelotto was fired means he was probably their first phone call.

Best manager in the league right now and we're losing him. Good job, MLSE. Comforting to get that sense that without Bez and Vanney you're steering the ship. I mean, assuming we want to ground it in a ditch somewhere.

Damn.

ensco
12-01-2020, 11:23 AM
Greg Vanney managed this team to four finals, and we were the best team every time.

Vanney's accomplishment in Mexico in March and April 2018 may well be the greatest managing performance in MLS history. We had Ashtone Morgan starting, Nico Hasler playing serious minutes, Hamilton as the striker sub, Bradley at CB, Altidore playing hurt ... it's completely beyond belief, crazy, what he accomplished there.

(Also 2020 is a joke and should be discarded in any evaluation of anybody. But he obviously did a pretty decent job of handling a group that lived in hotels for five months.)

I thought he should have been the USMNT coach, and probably will be, yet.

I predict he will also be back here someday. See you down the road, Greg.

Ultra & Proud
12-01-2020, 11:24 AM
I mean, he could've signed a new contract a few months ago. The fact that he didn't when Schelotto was fired means he was probably their first phone call.

Vanney was second. They wanted Kinnear to stay on but they couldn't agree on a contract. I think when Vanney heard Schelotto was out he decided with his family to wait and see what LA did just in case.

I don't think this the usual stuff everyone speculates on here : Curtis battles managers, ML$E is going to make us like Houston, etc. This sounds like an opportunity to go to his old club which is currently a disaster and get a lot of eyes on him so that when Berhalter boners the USMNT, he will be at the top of the short list.

Oldtimer
12-01-2020, 11:32 AM
I knew this would come someday, but sad to see it happen now.

The #vanneyout gang will now have a chance to see who we can actually lure to Toronto. They imagine a top world manager. My guess is far less than world class. Fortunately it won't be left only to Curtis.

69Chevy396
12-01-2020, 11:34 AM
Vanney was second. They wanted Kinnear to stay on but they couldn't agree on a contract. I think when Vanney heard Schelotto was out he decided with his family to wait and see what LA did just in case.

I don't think this the usual stuff everyone speculates on here : Curtis battles managers, ML$E is going to make us like Houston, etc. This sounds like an opportunity to go to his old club which is currently a disaster and get a lot of eyes on him so that when Berhalter boners the USMNT, he will be at the top of the short list.
could Vanney be eyeing Europe, or Mexico?

RealG-TFC
12-01-2020, 11:38 AM
For all of those who have been calling for this - who exactly do you think we're going to have come in and improve this position?

I think we're going to look back on this as the start of a rough period for TFC, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

I think you might be right. Seems like he was extremely liked by the players. It'll be hard to replace.

https://twitter.com/Chris_Mavinga/status/1333808948974137344

Ultra & Proud
12-01-2020, 11:39 AM

He was rumored to be the Galaxy's new #1 priority yesterday morning after Kinnear turned the Gals down and this news comes 24 hours later.

jloome
12-01-2020, 11:44 AM
I think you might be right. Seems like he was extremely liked by the players. It'll be hard to replace.

The link is broken, but I imagine it was this quote from Chris Mavinga on Twitter:

"Thank You Greg Vanney for everything you did for me on and off the field, You raised my level up, You trusted me when nobody trusted me and thanks to you i became a better man. I will miss you a lot. Thank you again ! #GregVanney (https://twitter.com/hashtag/GregVanney?src=hashtag_click) #TFCLive (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFCLive?src=hashtag_click)

69Chevy396
12-01-2020, 11:45 AM
Wouldn’t a move to another MLS team conflict with Vanney’s statements relating to a desire for new challenges etc? What more could he achieve in MLS?

Canary10
12-01-2020, 11:52 AM
Offer Kroenke 20 bucks to take Robin Fraser back.

I was thinking this as well. After they got over their rona, Colorado looked better than I expected.

TFC-Fever
12-01-2020, 11:54 AM
my fear is that Curtis is making calls.....

lol

but he really hasn't been THAT bad since arriving.

Let's just hope the team doesn't regress ..... It would be a shame after the work of the last 5 years.

MightyDM
12-01-2020, 11:56 AM

I thought maybe France? He has history there and it would be an adventure. But COVID makes that unlikely.

ManUtd4ever
12-01-2020, 11:56 AM
Vanney was the best manager in club history bar none. I am sorry to see him go.

The winds of change are on the horizon, but this club has had a remarkable run under Vanney's tutelage. I wish him well.

Ultra & Proud
12-01-2020, 11:57 AM
I thought maybe France? He has history there and it would be an adventure. But COVID makes that unlikely.
Reliable US MLS sources saying Galaxy deal already agreed.

Ultra & Proud
12-01-2020, 11:58 AM
Wouldn’t a move to another MLS team conflict with Vanney’s statements relating to a desire for new challenges etc? What more could he achieve in MLS?

A Vanney comment just came up on how he liked to build things and his building with TFC is done and the team is set in a good direction.

If you like to rebuild disasters, the Galaxy is as messy as they come but they actually invest money.

69Chevy396
12-01-2020, 12:10 PM
A Vanney comment just came up on how he liked to build things and his building with TFC is done and the team is set in a good direction.

If you like to rebuild disasters, the Galaxy is as messy as they come but they actually invest money.
I suppose. But that is still MLS, a league viewed around the world as a third tier feeder league. And, if Vanney has any market value, it is now, not after a year or two rebuilding another MLS club. LA may offer him more $, but I could see him coveting an assistant coaching job in the EPL, for eg

Ultra & Proud
12-01-2020, 12:23 PM
I suppose. But that is still MLS, a league viewed around the world as a third tier feeder league. And, if Vanney has any market value, it is now, not after a year or two rebuilding another MLS club. LA may offer him more $, but I could see him coveting an assistant coaching job in the EPL, for eg
I believe his endgame is the USMNT. He isn't interested in lugging his family all over the world.

MightyDM
12-01-2020, 12:36 PM
I believe his endgame is the USMNT. He isn't interested in lugging his family all over the world.

You might be right, but he does have history taking coaching licenses (and playing) abroad. What would he give to be an assistant at Man City for Example? Or a manager in League 1? I wonder. But LA might well be the destination

Redcoe15
12-01-2020, 12:46 PM
Well DAMN that sucks! Probably no surprise, but still...:sad:

A toast to the best head coach TFC has ever had! BAR NONE!!! :cheers:

Bushmancan
12-01-2020, 12:49 PM
My deepest fear now is that they will hire Caldwell and we will only start Liam Fraser at every position.

That was awesome....

daner90
12-01-2020, 12:56 PM
I guess we knew this day was coming at some point but not really ready for it.
Without Bez and Vanney steering the ship, I am more than a little unconfident that we have the proper personnel in place moving forward.
Let's hope Ali Curtis can get the job done because so many MLS clubs struggle to find a proper coach and just never seem to be able to excel in this league (ie Vancouver).

Thank you for the memories coach.

Bushmancan
12-01-2020, 12:56 PM
Greg Vanney managed this team to four finals, and we were the best team every time.

Vanney's accomplishment in Mexico in March and April 2018 may well be the greatest managing performance in MLS history. We had Ashtone Morgan starting, Nico Hasler playing serious minutes, Hamilton as the striker sub, Bradley at CB, Altidore playing hurt ... it's completely beyond belief, crazy, what he accomplished there.

(Also 2020 is a joke and should be discarded in any evaluation of anybody. But he obviously did a pretty decent job of handling a group that lived in hotels for five months.)

I thought he should have been the USMNT coach, and probably will be, yet.

I predict he will also be back here someday. See you down the road, Greg.

Nice to see you back, dont get me wrong I had a love/hate with Vanney. He had all of those accomplishments but he was also given a ton of assets. My larger concern is Manning and now Ali are a massive step down from Leiweke / Bez. I think our prospects/academy is better but I agree with others, the jury is massively out on Ali that he can do anything with the high end DP/TAM category.

Areathrasher
12-01-2020, 12:59 PM
I was thinking this as well. After they got over their rona, Colorado looked better than I expected.
I wouldn't link or consider Fraser for the gig. He took the Colorado job as kids live there.

Slick
12-01-2020, 01:05 PM
Have to admit, it really sucks to hear that he stepped down, and I will definitely miss him.

Thanks for all the memories Greg. All the best in your future, except when it's against TFC.

jloome
12-01-2020, 01:09 PM
Oh shit.

Kristian Jack is reporting Vanney was ready to sign another deal and terms had been arranged.

MLSE/TFC tried to get Greg Vanney to sign a new contract throughout the season. Vanney admits that everything was done - money & term last discussed in July - & just needed his signature but they didn’t talk much after that. This was not a mutual decision. (https://twitter.com/KristianJack/status/1333810078298861576)

Latest from Kristian Jack.

Is he suggesting we let go a coach who had three finals in six years? Please fucking tell me that's not the case. If it is, Curtis should resign. The staggering incompetence such a decision would take is unfathomable.

Ultra & Proud
12-01-2020, 01:24 PM
Oh shit.

Kristian Jack is reporting Vanney was ready to sign another deal and terms had been arranged.
MLSE/TFC tried to get Greg Vanney to sign a new contract throughout the season. Vanney admits that everything was done - money & term last discussed in July - & just needed his signature but they didn’t talk much after that. This was not a mutual decision. (https://twitter.com/KristianJack/status/1333810078298861576)

Is he suggesting we let go a coach who had three finals in six years? Please fucking tell me that's not the case. If it is, Curtis should resign. The staggering incompetence such a decision would take is unfathomable.
That's not what it means. It means not mutual because we wanted him back and he didn't want to re-sign.

It's all due to family, challenges, and the Galaxy gig. That's it. No sinister misdoings or all the usual TFC PTSD speculation.

MightyDM
12-01-2020, 01:24 PM
Nice to see you back, dont get me wrong I had a love/hate with Vanney. He had all of those accomplishments but he was also given a ton of assets. My larger concern is Manning and now Ali are a massive step down from Leiweke / Bez. I think our prospects/academy is better but I agree with others, the jury is massively out on Ali that he can do anything with the high end DP/TAM category.

This is how I feel

MightyDM
12-01-2020, 01:26 PM
Oh shit.

I think it is the other way around. It is evidence of a lack of foresight and competence between Curtis and Manning - should have been signed when terms agreed.

ag futbol
12-01-2020, 01:31 PM
I think it is the other way around. It is evidence of a lack of foresight and competence between Curtis and Manning - should have been signed when terms agreed.
You mean Ali Curtis had a deal to close and it dragged out and died? That’s crazy, never heard that one before.

All kidding aside they may have known it was over some time ago but kept it quiet in the name of team unity. But at face value I agree, you don’t just leave that open for 6 months. That’s basically protecting Vanney’s downside while offering you little on the other side of the table.

Initial B
12-01-2020, 01:35 PM
I'm going to miss Vanney. He had his faults, but he was a good coach in MLS and got the first Treble in History.

If we're seeing what top-quality coach we could lure here, I don't think MLS is high enough on any euro-coaches radar unless they're desperate. Speaking of - Maybe David Wagner, recently of Schalke, could fit the bill as he has top 5 league experience, is a German-American former international, Schalke is already eating part of his contract, and he's probably looking to rehabilitate his image.

Areathrasher
12-01-2020, 01:36 PM
That's not what it means. It means not mutual because we wanted him back and he didn't want to re-sign.

It's all due to family, challenges, and the Galaxy gig. That's it. No sinister misdoings or all the usual TFC PTSD speculation.

That's my take on it too

MikeForbes
12-01-2020, 01:43 PM
Gonna start a rumor about Rafa Benitez.

OgtheDim
12-01-2020, 01:45 PM
Oh...crap.

gracos
12-01-2020, 01:47 PM
How bout we look at signing at Poch lol, dont know who we will sign but thank you Vanney for everything you have done for the club

AlanO
12-01-2020, 01:47 PM
Is Greg Vanney the first manager in TFC history who left on his own terms?

I started following the club in ~2010 and I think all the managers since that time (other than Vanney) were sacked - Preki, Winter, Mariner, Nelsen

Red CB Toronto
12-01-2020, 02:07 PM
Is Greg Vanney the first manager in TFC history who left on his own terms?

I started following the club in ~2010 and I think all the managers since that time (other than Vanney) were sacked - Preki, Winter, Mariner, Nelsen

John Carver resigned.

Lil'John
12-01-2020, 02:07 PM
I agree. It makes sense alround.

Lil'John
12-01-2020, 02:09 PM
Sorry for weird message! I wanted to say that I agree that Michael Bradley will, and should, take over.

ag futbol
12-01-2020, 02:10 PM
John Carver resigned.
I’m not clear if Chris Cummings would have come back either. He sounded like was ready to tell mojo and company where they could stuff it if they even asked.

OgtheDim
12-01-2020, 02:17 PM
At work so not much time to think this through but will say this

The next manager is going to decide if this team becomes what LAG has been the last 5 years or something not really seen in this league ever - a perpetual power house.

Paint me skeptical of us becoming the Juve of MLS.

ensco
12-01-2020, 02:18 PM
I cannot help but wonder exactly who wanted to wait on signing the extension in the summer.

The league was in full panic mode and brutalized the players to get what they wanted (the bill for that is going to be paid one day, too).

Manning and Ali spin more than I would like and the journo community here, such as it is, always takes them at their word. (They spun the hell out of the Pozo clown show. We left it until way too late to deal with Giovinco and Altidore.)

Or maybe Greg really just wants to live near where he grew up, like Kawhi.

I would not jump to any conclusion either way.

MightyDM
12-01-2020, 02:40 PM
I’m not clear if Chris Cummings would have come back either. He sounded like was ready to tell mojo and company where they could stuff it if they even asked.

It was such a mistake to let him go. And he was another one they lied to. Along with DeRo...

MightyDM
12-01-2020, 02:41 PM
At work so not much time to think this through but will say this

The next manager is going to decide if this team becomes what LAG has been the last 5 years or something not really seen in this league ever - a perpetual power house.

Paint me skeptical of us becoming the Juve of MLS.

Lets hope though, lets hope.

MightyDM
12-01-2020, 02:49 PM
I cannot help but wonder exactly who wanted to wait on signing the extension in the summer.

The league was in full panic mode and brutalized the players to get what they wanted (the bill for that is going to be paid one day, too).

Manning and Ali spin more than I would like and the journo community here, such as it is, always takes them at their word. (They spun the hell out of the Pozo clown show. We left it until way too late to deal with Giovinco and Altidore.)

Or maybe Greg really just wants to live near where he grew up, like Kawhi.

I would not jump to any conclusion either way.

It is hard to read but the dynamics of both MLSE and Manning and Curtis are at play. How sound financially is MLSE at the moment? Is it sending signals of caution to its teams? Possibly. Or is it just internal TFC? Or just Vanney.

Leiweke did what he wanted and therefore had to go - Manning and Curtis do what they are told. Manning is competent and apparently a really decent guy; Curtis i find hard to get a grip on, but there are a few things that are clear: They inherited Vanney and Curtis has previous with coaches; they could have signed Vanney in the summer and didn't; they could have re-signed Seba earlier and didn't, forcing their hand on Jozy and Poz

Ponderosa
12-01-2020, 02:58 PM
I'm not happy with year-end sad TFC news. Last year we lost Shoeless Joe's this year we lost Vanney :-(

Auzzy
12-01-2020, 03:02 PM
From Vanney's own words / presser online, it really didn't sound like "they could have signed Vanney in the summer." It really sounded like Vanney had a decision to make, it was hard for him to make, he took his time, and he decided to move on. He mentioned that the last few years were tough, since the post-MLS-Cup CCL loss, and that he was thinking about this decision all this year.

I'm also really concerned whether Manning / Curtis have the skills and the will and the support to hire a great new coach. And who knows, maybe MLSE didn't offer as much $ as they would have w/o the pandemic. Or maybe Vanney doesn't like Curtis too much. And maybe there were other things speaking against Toronto (like the prospect of spending a few more months apart from his family, due to ongoing pandemic issues). But that's pure guesswork. I didn't get any inkling from Vanney's own words that MLSE / Manning / Curtis or anyone held this up. I'm concerned some people here are making things up & going off on a tangent.

Redpunkfiddle
12-01-2020, 03:06 PM
I believe there was some mention that Cummings' wife could not get a work visa or something, there were family separation issues, etc. Maybe it was part of the smoothing of parting ways, but that's what was said, that he didn't want to stay.

MightyDM
12-01-2020, 03:21 PM
From Vanney's own words / presser online, it really didn't sound like "they could have signed Vanney in the summer." It really sounded like Vanney had a decision to make, it was hard for him to make, he took his time, and he decided to move on. He mentioned that the last few years were tough, since the post-MLS-Cup CCL loss, and that he was thinking about this decision all this year.

I'm also really concerned whether Manning / Curtis have the skills and the will and the support to hire a great new coach. And who knows, maybe MLSE didn't offer as much $ as they would have w/o the pandemic. Or maybe Vanney doesn't like Curtis too much. And maybe there were other things speaking against Toronto (like the prospect of spending a few more months apart from his family, due to ongoing pandemic issues). But that's pure guesswork. I didn't get any inkling from Vanney's own words that MLSE / Manning / Curtis or anyone held this up. I'm concerned some people here are making things up & going off on a tangent.

The first is evidence of the second.

Yes, I am one of the people speculating. At a minimum, they did not make Vanney an offer he couldn't refuse. For me it does call into question the competence of management as it isn't the first time they have waited too late to deal with an important contract. And if Vanney loved working with Curtis would he have walked away?

It might well be that what is said is the exact truth. It also might not be.

portu
12-01-2020, 03:23 PM
Vanney was amazing on the whole even though I called #VanneyOut quite a few times.

I want a Tata level manager but I think it’s far more likely we get someone from within.

MightyDM
12-01-2020, 03:23 PM
from last week, FWIW:

https://twitter.com/KristianJack/status/1331442149720731648?s=20

Auzzy
12-01-2020, 03:24 PM

Yes, I am one of the people speculating. At a minimum, they did not make Vanney an offer he couldn't refuse. For me it does call into question the competence of management as it isn't the first time they have waited too late to deal with an important contract. And if Vanney loved working with Curtis would he have walked away?

That's a reach. Did you listen to his own words, all of them? There isn't "evidence" of anything.

MightyDM
12-01-2020, 03:36 PM
That's a reach. Did you listen to his own words, all of them? There isn't "evidence" of anything.

Not sure why you are attacking my rather obvious point that what they are saying might not be the whole story. Accepting what is said in press conferences as the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth is one approach. Using logic facts and prior experience to consider what might be being left unsaid is another. I am doing the second.

Ultra & Proud
12-01-2020, 03:38 PM

Vanney himself said the money, term, and everything were fine. He mentioned the issue was his family and finding new challenges. Not sure what else he can say to remove the consistent "Manning & Curtis screw up everything always" narrative.

MightyDM
12-01-2020, 03:59 PM
Vanney himself said the money, term, and everything were fine. He mentioned the issue was his family and finding new challenges. Not sure what else he can say to remove the consistent "Manning & Curtis screw up everything always" narrative.

I don't think they always screw everything up. But it is fair to say they couldn't find a way to keep Vanney or Seba, but they did with Jozy. And it is possible to take a view that they didnt get any of those right.

NK Toronto
12-01-2020, 04:05 PM
I don't think they always screw everything up. But it is fair to say they couldn't find a way to keep Vanney or Seba, but they did with Jozy. And it is possible to take a view that they didnt get any of those right.

Seba hasn't set the world on fire since he left. He even struggled in the Saudi League. If we kept Seba we wouldn't have gotten Poz. I would argue that we did get that one right.

MightyDM
12-01-2020, 04:11 PM

And Curtis said they started working on a list for a potential replacement for Vanney on Sunday. Sunday. Not the beginning of this season. Or any other time as proper professional work. So if we are taking them at their words only, he has stated that he doesn't prepare for known possible events. Which he should be doing.

MightyDM
12-01-2020, 04:11 PM
Seba hasn't set the world on fire since he left. He even struggled in the Saudi League. If we kept Seba we wouldn't have gotten Poz. I would argue that we did get that one right.

It was all a schmozzle, thats my point.

69Chevy396
12-01-2020, 04:13 PM
Disagree. Poz replaced Vazquez.
Nobody replaced Seba.

ag futbol
12-01-2020, 04:15 PM
It was such a mistake to let him go. And he was another one they lied to. Along with DeRo...
I liked him personally. It was clear he never had much authority to make change but was doing his best.

Mo Johnston was just poison. They could write a book about signs of poor management and he would tick every single last box.

ensco
12-01-2020, 04:18 PM
I do think Vanney can be replaced. He wasn't THAT great. But it involves the same question - do people with options feel like they want to be here?

I am bummed - a team with a new coach is a kind of expansion team, in this league.

RealG-TFC
12-01-2020, 04:31 PM
A shame Benoit Cheyrou is no longer in the org.

MightyDM
12-01-2020, 04:45 PM
Nobody replaced Seba.

Very good point indeed

MightyDM
12-01-2020, 04:48 PM
I do think Vanney can be replaced. He wasn't THAT great. But it involves the same question - do people with options feel like they want to be here?

I am bummed - a team with a new coach is a kind of expansion team, in this league.

Similar to my feelings. Plus that Curtis reacts to other's decisions - doesn't feel like he is in the driver's seat with a clear plan and back up scenarios.

flatpicker
12-01-2020, 04:50 PM

On the bright side, Caldwell as coach would mean a much less painful TSN broadcast, lol

Canary10
12-01-2020, 05:00 PM

Sometimes I think he saw or read some tactics and decided to try them out with TFC the next day. They didn't always make sense. We're playing a team that can't score, let's trying out this parking the bus thing....

But far and away the most successful coach we ever had. I fear what change may bring under the circumstances (i.e. with a GM I'm not sure I have faith in).

Richard
12-01-2020, 05:08 PM
A new coach will want their own players. We got an aging core that needs replacing and question marks throughout the roster.

I got zero faith in Curtis, and not a whole lot more with Manning. This is a big loss.

Let gets Harry Potter back!

ag futbol
12-01-2020, 05:49 PM

Yeah, unfortunately there isn’t really an obvious MLS coach we can scoop up.

Previously you could have argued stealing Pareja from Dallas would have been good business. I have a lot of respect for some others too but there’s no obvious incentive to move.

Ideally you’d scoop up some hopeless cheap team’s star coach but nobody is proven at this stage.

Perhaps there’s a coach in Central / South America somewhere we’d all be familiar with that has previous experience? Some of these guys have MLS exposure but we never hear about it. Juan Carlos Osorio is a name but no thanks on that front.

Richard
12-01-2020, 05:57 PM
Yeah, unfortunately there isn’t really an obvious MLS coach we can scoop up.

Previously you could have argued stealing Pareja from Dallas would have been good business. I have a lot of respect for some others too but there’s no obvious incentive to move.

Ideally you’d scoop up some hopeless cheap team’s star coach but nobody is proven at this stage.

Perhaps there’s a coach in Central / South America somewhere we’d all be familiar with that has previous experience? Some of these guys have MLS exposure but we never hear about it. Juan Carlos Osorio is a name but no thanks on that front.

I hear Diego Forlan is available.....g:D

OgtheDim
12-01-2020, 06:40 PM
FWIW

https://twitter.com/KristianJack/status/1333894052866093059

MikeForbes
12-01-2020, 07:43 PM
Can't wait to read all kinds of sketchy foreign websites this winter trying to figure out who our new manager and DP are gonna be.

NK Toronto
12-01-2020, 07:47 PM
Nobody replaced Seba.

Seba was a DP while VV was TAM. If Seba stays we are at 3 DP's and can't sign Poz.

oranje boven
12-01-2020, 08:13 PM
What about Robo? I always felt next to Bradley he may have been the best leader to play for TFC.

ag futbol
12-01-2020, 08:24 PM
What about Robo? I always felt next to Bradley he may have been the best leader to play for TFC.
He’s a congenial personality but anything he offered on the field or in the coaching box was completely over rated. Concerns about over use of certain player agencies too.

Hard pass.

NK Toronto
12-01-2020, 08:46 PM
Reading the comments here today and the sentiment of the majority is:
1) Everything good that has happened during the last 6 years is due to Vanney;
2) Everything bad that has happened during the last 2 years is due to Curtis;
3) Without Vanney as coach the club is doomed, never again to experience glory. The MLS equivalent of Sunderland.

Am I the only one that views Vanney's departure as yet another example of an American preferring to return to the U.S. rather than living in Canada? This is a story that we have seen over and over and over again in this city. We are a Canadian team, yet the President, GM, and Coach are all Americans. I guess you could argue that Canada has not distinguished itself globally in soccer, but then again neither has the U.S.

Personally I would like to see TFC become "more than a club". I would like to see TFC become the focal point in Canadian soccer. The club with the best academy, that attracts the best young prospects, and produces the best players for both the club and the national team. In terms of the roster, have it be made up of the best Cdn players available in MLS, mixed together with players from Europe and South America, but always retain a strong Cdn identity.

We have seen endless examples of American athletes not wanting to play in Toronto for a multitude of different reasons. Maybe TFC needs to position itself as the destination club for Canadian soccer players, and an attractive club for foreign players who have no ties to the U.S.

Yohan
12-01-2020, 09:28 PM
3) Without Vanney as coach the club is doomed, never again to experience glory. The MLS equivalent of Sunderland.

Am I the only one that views Vanney's departure as yet another example of an American preferring to return to the U.S. rather than living in Canada? This is a story that we have seen over and over and over again in this city. We are a Canadian team, yet the President, GM, and Coach are all Americans. I guess you could argue that Canada has not distinguished itself globally in soccer, but then again neither has the U.S.

Personally I would like to see TFC become "more than a club". I would like to see TFC become the focal point in Canadian soccer. The club with the best academy, that attracts the best young prospects, and produces the best players for both the club and the national team. In terms of the roster, have it be made up of the best Cdn players available in MLS, mixed together with players from Europe and South America, but always retain a strong Cdn identity.

We have seen endless examples of American athletes not wanting to play in Toronto for a multitude of different reasons. Maybe TFC needs to position itself as the destination club for Canadian soccer players, and an attractive club for foreign players who have no ties to the U.S.
Guys like Vanney, well, I think being a manager of TFC just wasn't enough of a challenge. Got a bit stale. I think he would have signed another contract if TFC was in CCL next season.

Perhaps TFC needed a refresh. One coach for too long can stagnate a team. (See Arsenal under Wenger)

I'm sad that Vanney is no longer TFC coach. I hope that TFC doesn't look at Vanney's tenure as the Golden Age.

Bushmancan
12-01-2020, 09:28 PM

Not sure i would sum up 1-3 the same way, but i completely agree on building TFC as the place for Canadian Soccer. 2026 is 5 years away.

I do think on your pt 2, it looks like Curtis is laying the right foundations for the academy and realistically isn’t totally to blame for the current first teams predicament, with that said he hasn’t shown me that he can fix it and i dread the thought of looking like the Red Bull’s in the interim.

Someone at MLSE/TFC needs to grab this thing by the throat re-tool and lets take a hard run at the Champions League (we need to finish the Canadian Championship). Piatti as a TAM, I’m in. If they can’t play at BMO (fans or not) it will be very difficult to attract top talent from USA (but who cares on that) or Western Europe (care more) but maybe Southern Europe or South America ... its a crap shoot and we dont have the best track record in SA but stop talking and go get our young gun. Trust some of the youth, keep people healthy and Bob’s your uncle.

At least it wont be a boring off season... or will it.

Yohan
12-01-2020, 09:30 PM
Not sure i would sum up 1-3 the same way, but i completely agree on building TFC as the place for Canadian Soccer. 2026 is 5 years away.

I do think on your pt 2, it looks like Curtis is laying the right foundations for the academy and realistically isn’t totally to blame for the current first teams predicament, with that said he hasn’t shown me that he can fix it and i dread the thought of looking like the Red Bull’s in the interim.

Someone at MLSE/TFC needs to grab this thing by the throat re-tool and lets take a hard run at the Champions League. Piatti as a TAM, I’m in. If they can’t play at BMO (fans or not) it will be very difficult to attract top talent form USA or Western Europe so look to South America ... its a crap shoot and we dont have the best track record so go get our young gun. Trust some of the youth, keep people healthy and Bob’s your uncle.

As much as we, the supporters, want Bell/Rogers to keep sinking money into TFC, the prudent business practice says the effects of COVID is going to tamper big spending, especially since TFC went basically a season without home revenue, and next season doesn't look too good either.

Bushmancan
12-01-2020, 09:49 PM
As much as we, the supporters, want Bell/Rogers to keep sinking money into TFC, the prudent business practice says the effects of COVID is going to tamper big spending, especially since TFC went basically a season without home revenue, and next season doesn't look too good either.

Fair enough, but everything is relative...

BCE & Rogers aren’t like small business or other sectors, yes they have been hurt but their asset base is large and diverse. Not saying the GM has an open bank book, but ours is larger than most others and surely gives us room to negotiate from positions of strength.. one caution Vanney leaving might give a weaker leadership Manning/Ali a chance to sit back and do nothing and that’s why the fan base needs to stay strong and vocal.

“Rogers Communications shares rise after Q3 results top expectations” &

a little longer but from the Q3 media call...

“I'll turn now to Bell Media. TV advertising demand picked up in several key categories, especially with the return of live sports and increased spending by advertisers. Radio and out-of-home advertising have been slower to rebound. And on radio listenership, it's declined during the pandemic and some key out-of-home advertising faces as well such as restaurants, airports, those have been severely impacted by lockdown measures, but we're seeing momentum return to outdoor categories such as street furniture and billboards. On the subscriber front, TSN and RDS have remained largely stable, particularly with live sports coming back in Q3, as have subscribers across all Bell Media TV properties since the COVID situation began. TSN remains number one ranked sports channel for the latest broadcast year that just ended on August 31.

No excuse to let Manning/Ali of the hook.

COYRs

Damien
12-01-2020, 10:36 PM
Is Bobby Smyrniotis be linked with TFC?

PaceyWinger
12-01-2020, 10:59 PM
Is Bobby Smyrniotis be linked with TFC?
Sure. Sign him and his first game can be against Forge! They blew it tonight though.

MightyDM
12-01-2020, 11:02 PM

I wouldnt include Vanney in the group of mercenaries - he was a good and incredibly honourable servant to TFC - but I agree with this sentiment. Very much so.

MightyDM
12-01-2020, 11:03 PM
Guys like Vanney, well, I think being a manager of TFC just wasn't enough of a challenge. Got a bit stale. I think he would have signed another contract if TFC was in CCL next season.

Perhaps TFC needed a refresh. One coach for too long can stagnate a team. (See Arsenal under Wenger)

I'm sad that Vanney is no longer TFC coach. I hope that TFC doesn't look at Vanney's tenure as the Golden Age.

Agree with this too

MikeForbes
12-01-2020, 11:08 PM
Ugh. The CPL is still miles below the MLS. We are supposed to be a big club, as Curtis and Manning said a million times in their presser today. You don't see Bayern Munich going down and taking a manager from 1860 Munich in the third division because they are a local team with some past success. Smyrniotis may well be a good coach and will get his chance in MLS if he is. I just believe that TFC should be a job you earn with your resume, not your birth certificate or what country you are currently coaching in. Ambition is needed in this hire.

MightyDM
12-01-2020, 11:08 PM

Someone at MLSE/TFC needs to grab this thing by the throat re-tool and lets take a hard run at the Champions League (we need to finish the Canadian Championship). Piatti as a TAM, I’m in. If they can’t play at BMO (fans or not) it will be very difficult to attract top talent from USA (but who cares on that) or Western Europe (care more) but maybe Southern Europe or South America ... its a crap shoot and we dont have the best track record in SA but stop talking and go get our young gun. Trust some of the youth, keep people healthy and Bob’s your uncle.

Spot on with this bit

MightyDM
12-01-2020, 11:11 PM
Fair enough, but everything is relative...

BCE & Rogers aren’t like small business or other sectors, yes they have been hurt but their asset base is large and diverse. Not saying the GM has an open bank book, but ours is larger than most others and surely gives us room to negotiate from positions of strength.. one caution Vanney leaving might give a weaker leadership Manning/Ali a chance to sit back and do nothing and that’s why the fan base needs to stay strong and vocal.

“Rogers Communications shares rise after Q3 results top expectations” &

a little longer but from the Q3 media call...

“I'll turn now to Bell Media. TV advertising demand picked up in several key categories, especially with the return of live sports and increased spending by advertisers. Radio and out-of-home advertising have been slower to rebound. And on radio listenership, it's declined during the pandemic and some key out-of-home advertising faces as well such as restaurants, airports, those have been severely impacted by lockdown measures, but we're seeing momentum return to outdoor categories such as street furniture and billboards. On the subscriber front, TSN and RDS have remained largely stable, particularly with live sports coming back in Q3, as have subscribers across all Bell Media TV properties since the COVID situation began. TSN remains number one ranked sports channel for the latest broadcast year that just ended on August 31.

No excuse to let Manning/Ali of the hook.

COYRs

Well done analysis.

ag futbol
12-01-2020, 11:14 PM
Nothing against Smyrniotis but let’s see him replicate that success elsewhere or build on his reputation a bit more. It’s too early.

PaceyWinger
12-01-2020, 11:32 PM
If you're Vanney and you're not sure if you're done or not and Covid hits and you think "I could go anywhere in the world for a break and when I'm ready cash in on 2017 in MLS somewhere" would you hang around Downsview for the winter?

NK Toronto
12-01-2020, 11:55 PM
If you're Vanney and you're not sure if you're done or not and Covid hits and you think "I could go anywhere in the world for a break and when I'm ready cash in on 2017 in MLS somewhere" would you hang around Downsview for the winter?

Living in the United States of Covid doesn't seem like much of a bargain either.

OgtheDim
12-02-2020, 06:54 AM
California, LA in particular, was home for him & his family for a good long time. I don't begrudge him that move.

Atlanta? Then I'd be pissed off.

PaceyWinger
12-02-2020, 07:51 AM
Living in the United States of Covid doesn't seem like much of a bargain either.

Thats why I meant go anywhere in the world and then when you come back to the US to can cash in. Still LA seems like the clear driver in all of this.

Ultra & Proud
12-02-2020, 09:05 AM
Thats why I meant go anywhere in the world and then when you come back to the US to can cash in. Still LA seems like the clear driver in all of this.
Unless he went over there and shit the bed completely. Wagner not getting a lot of calls now and he was great.

Oldtimer
12-02-2020, 09:30 AM
Am I the only one that views Vanney's departure as yet another example of an American preferring to return to the U.S. rather than living in Canada?

It's a little more complex than that. Vanney has his eyes on managing the USMNT. What he does in Canada is largely ignored by the US Media. In order to get the highest prize, now that he's got the top awards at the club level, he needs to raise his profile in the US. He can only do that by managing a US Club, and what better location than LA, the capital of hype?

There's always been a minority view that Vanney lucked out and that TFC winning had little to do with him (this is part of the narrative that MLSE should have hired a "big name" manager, say from the EPL, and that a coach that hasn't managed in Europe can't be all that good). You'll see that the rest of MLS doesn't see it that way. Vanney will be in huge demand, and yes, I predict he'll likely someday manage the USMNT.

Ultra & Proud
12-02-2020, 10:09 AM
I predict he'll likely someday manage the USMNT.

I wouldn't be shocked to see him managing them in 2026.

Their talent pool has created a lot of hype and high expectations. When qualifying starts in 2023, even a very small ugly spell would probably cost Berhalter the job.

Auzzy
12-02-2020, 10:12 AM
It's a little more complex than that. Vanney has his eyes on managing the USMNT. What he does in Canada is largely ignored by the US Media. In order to get the highest prize, now that he's got the top awards at the club level, he needs to raise his profile in the US. He can only do that by managing a US Club, and what better location than LA, the capital of hype?

There's always been a minority view that Vanney lucked out and that TFC winning had little to do with him (this is part of the narrative that MLSE should have hired a "big name" manager, say from the EPL, and that a coach that hasn't managed in Europe can't be all that good). You'll see that the rest of MLS doesn't see it that way. Vanney will be in huge demand, and yes, I predict he'll likely someday manage the USMNT.

All very good points. Also good to remember that Vanney's senior coaching experience was very limited when he started at TFC. He had primarily been a youth and academy coach before. He was an assistant coach at Chivas USA from 2011-2012, and after the demise of the club that isn't going to be a highlight on a resume. I'm not even sure what he did between 2012 and when he started at TFC in mid 2014. So it makes sense he wants to build up more varied experience. Not everyone thinks Toronto is the centre of the universe, and especially the footy universe. Outside of the USMNT, he'll also want more on his resume if wants to coach in France or somewhere else some day.

Also I noticed he's 46. Not old for a coach. However he was in Toronto from age 40 to 46. If he's hoping for a couple more steps up in his career, it's time to move on at the end of this contract, rather than sign a multi-year extension now. This all fits in with his pained decision-making of the past year, and his pained expressions during his presser over Zoom. (I loved the fake wood panelling in the background BTW: quite outdated, but so on-brand for an important announcement in the Year of Covid.)

Ultra & Proud
12-02-2020, 10:45 AM
Interesting Galaxy thing if that happens; will Klein give way to Vanney and let him make roster decisions or will he do what he always does and sabotage the balance of the squad for fancy names to try to keep the team relevent?

gracos
12-02-2020, 10:57 AM
Why does our club never have proper succession plans they let Bezbatchenko go and rush to sign Curtis, now Vanney has left and we are only starting our search for the next manager, that doesnt look good for the club

ag futbol
12-02-2020, 11:23 AM
Why does our club never have proper succession plans they let Bezbatchenko go and rush to sign Curtis, now Vanney has left and we are only starting our search for the next manager, that doesnt look good for the club
We don’t have a clear indication of what’s really happened despite public statements. Curtis might say, for the sake of optics: “searching for a new coach starts today” as declaring he knew Vanney was out for a while makes him look less than transparent. But, realistically, if he had an unsigned contract for that long he should have started thinking about alternatives otherwise he’s being naive.

My expectation would be he’s done his work in advance (despite what he says publicly) and we have our new coach before 2021 hits. If we don’t, I would mark this down as another example of this front office being poor at executing things on time.

Bez leaving might have been less telegraphed so harder to be ready to act. Just speculating.

ag futbol
12-02-2020, 11:37 AM
https://twitter.com/joshuakloke/status/1334171557321715712

Let’s hope this is outright speculation. Otherwise it clearly signals a downgrade in the ambitions of this team.

NK Toronto
12-02-2020, 11:44 AM

I don't understand this obsession with coaching the USMNT as if that were the pinnacle of coaching achievement. That program has been stagnant for the past 15 years. The Man City reserve squad playing with 10 men could beat them. For the most part young and highly regarded coaches manage at the club level. A national team coach sees the players for a week or so once every few months. If Vanney were really interested in building his resume he should be pursuing a job with a 1st division club in one of the top 5 leagues in Europe. Success there would raise more eyebrows than anything that goes on at the USMNT, where the only serious competition is Mexico.

MikeForbes
12-02-2020, 11:47 AM
Ben Olsen sure does suck.

reggie
12-02-2020, 12:01 PM
https://twitter.com/joshuakloke/status/1334171557321715712

Let’s hope this is outright speculation. Otherwise it clearly signals a downgrade in the ambitions of this team.
we would be going into the stupid era again,then again ali hired petki after marsh left and manning hired ali like 2 days after tim left with hardly any due diligence,

gracos
12-02-2020, 12:02 PM
If Olsen is chosen, its obvious they dont have clear ambitions in the future other than take our money, and provide a poor quality product

NK Toronto
12-02-2020, 12:19 PM
If Marc Dos Santos became available I would make him an offer. Has MLS experience both as head coach and assistant. Plus he is Canadian. I can't blame him for what goes on in Vancouver as they don't have the players there. Pep Guardiola couldn't win with that squad.

Canary10
12-02-2020, 12:26 PM
Olsen has a pretty mixed record. Seemed like DC was great one year and terrible the next all the way through his time there. But if people are reacting against the fact he isn't some big name European coach, let's not do that. We don't necessarily need that, in fact those coaches generally seem to do worse. Vanney certainly wasn't and he turned out pretty well.

MikeForbes
12-02-2020, 12:31 PM
Olsen has a 36% winning percentage over a 10 year coaching career. It isn't that he is an MLS retread, it is that he is an awful MLS retread.

Bushmancan
12-02-2020, 12:49 PM
California, LA in particular, was home for him & his family for a good long time. I don't begrudge him that move.

Atlanta? Then I'd be pissed off.

Agreed

Red CB Toronto
12-02-2020, 01:10 PM
Wonder if Jurgen Klinsmann's name surfaces in the conversation?

ag futbol
12-02-2020, 01:12 PM
Olsen has a pretty mixed record. Seemed like DC was great one year and terrible the next all the way through his time there. But if people are reacting against the fact he isn't some big name European coach, let's not do that. We don't necessarily need that, in fact those coaches generally seem to do worse. Vanney certainly wasn't and he turned out pretty well.
I don’t need a big name European coach but I would take a no-name or lightly experienced candidate over Olsen.

But for the love of god, let’s act like a big team and do this properly, not some budget strapped also ran.

portu
12-02-2020, 01:12 PM
Ben Olsen would be a massive disappointment and cement my lack of faith in Manning/Curtis.

portu
12-02-2020, 01:13 PM
I don’t need a big name European coach but I would take a no-name or lightly experienced candidate over Olsen.

But for the love of god, let’s act like a big team and do this properly, not some budget strapped also ran.
I’d rather us promote internally than have to go to Olsen. In fact I’d rather us have a long-term interim for 2021 than scrape the bottom of the barrel with a Ben Olsen level candidate.

Ultra & Proud
12-02-2020, 01:25 PM
I don't understand this obsession with coaching the USMNT as if that were the pinnacle of coaching achievement. That program has been stagnant for the past 15 years. The Man City reserve squad playing with 10 men could beat them. For the most part young and highly regarded coaches manage at the club level. A national team coach sees the players for a week or so once every few months. If Vanney were really interested in building his resume he should be pursuing a job with a 1st division club in one of the top 5 leagues in Europe. Success there would raise more eyebrows than anything that goes on at the USMNT, where the only serious competition is Mexico.
You're missing the point. The point is to manage the USMNT, his home country's national team, to some success in the WC. If he managed to get them to the final 4 in 2026 then he'd be a God in US Soccer. That's more important for his image than managing a scrub team in a top 5 league because that's all he would get offered, if that even. However, Vanney isn't about his image. Vanney is about being part of a successful program. He wants the USMNT to do great things and I am sure if he had the choice, he'd like it to be under his watch rather than somebody elses.

To put it in our terms; imagine there was a Canadian MLS coach who was doing what Vanney has managed to do in his 6 years for some US based team. Now imagine that guy wanted to come to Toronto or one of the shittier Canadian MLS teams for more exposure to the CSA, who are probably too cheap to buy DAZN to watch US based matches. Now if that guy got the CMNT to the WC and if once there, somehow got us out of the group, he'd be a legend forever and would no doubt be very proud of that when looking back on his career.

*Also, it's correct that he would only work with a national team for a week or so every couple months but that also means he would have more family time and in case of a year like this one, not have to live in a hotel away from them for most of it.

Ultra & Proud
12-02-2020, 01:36 PM
Also Olsen is trash. I spent the last 3 years laughing at DCU for keeping him around. I would prefer to not have to self immolate over us being idiotic and hiring this clown.

portu
12-02-2020, 01:37 PM
Domenec Torrent would be high on my list

Red CB Toronto
12-02-2020, 01:38 PM
I am sure if Ben Olsen's name is being thrown around Jason Kries's name will be too due to his ties to Bill at RSL.

RealG-TFC
12-02-2020, 01:45 PM

Didn't he get run out of Flamengo for transforming a squad that won a league and a libertadores last year to one that would let in easy goals?

Ultra & Proud
12-02-2020, 01:52 PM
Yo Manning, just dump Curtis so you can be free to hire Mike Petke.

noimpactinmtl
12-02-2020, 01:59 PM

Torrent got sick the exhaustive travel in MLS.

Canary10
12-02-2020, 02:12 PM
Just to be clear, I wasn't advocating for Olsen.

I think him, Petke, Kreis are all kinda in the same boat. Don't want any of them.

Red CB Toronto
12-02-2020, 03:36 PM
If Greg does have his eye on the USMNT at some point down the road, it is going to an attractive job once again.What a moment for the USMNT today. Christian Pulisic (Chelsea), Sergino Dest (Barcelona), Gio Reyna (Borussia Dortmund) and Weston McKennie (Juventus) are all starting in Champions League games. All under 23 years old. The sky is bright moving forward. Hosting the 2026 will make it even more attractive.

ag futbol
12-02-2020, 03:53 PM
If Greg does have his eye on the USMNT at some point down the road, it is going to an attractive job once again.What a moment for the USMNT today. Christian Pulisic (Chelsea), Sergino Dest (Barcelona), Gio Reyna (Borussia Dortmund) and Weston McKennie (Juventus) are all starting in Champions League games. All under 23 years old. The sky is bright moving forward. Hosting the 2026 will make it even more attractive.
I think this perceived as a big job for Americans... we shouldn’t put it on a pedestal though. Jesse Marsch coaching in Europe deserves more cred. Par for the course they’d rather knaw off their own arm than hand over a coaching gig to an American.

Overall,I appreciate this is a decent crop of players for the US but I feel expectations are outsized and they are bound to be disappointed. A handful of players in CL will not make you competitive with Germany et al. If they are looking for a gutsy (but not World Cup winning performance) that may be in the cards.

Red CB Toronto
12-02-2020, 05:29 PM
Best of luck to Greg, not sure how this website never popped up before LOL

https://www.angelfire.com/ok4/lefflers/Amy.html
https://www.angelfire.com/ok4/lefflers/Amy.jpg

NK Toronto
12-02-2020, 09:42 PM
Olsen has a 36% winning percentage over a 10 year coaching career. It isn't that he is an MLS retread, it is that he is an awful MLS retread.

Given that we have an American President and an American GM I would be shocked if we didn't get an American coach.

James17930
12-02-2020, 10:19 PM
Possibilities:

We get Robin Fraser back somehow.
We promote Jason Bent.
We try for someone huge like Pochettino.

We do NOT hire Ben Olsen.

Red CB Toronto
12-02-2020, 10:29 PM
Maybe ...

https://www.ctvnews.ca/polopoly_fs/1.104828.1337370619!/httpImage/image._gen/derivatives/landscape_620/image.

MikeForbes
12-02-2020, 10:30 PM
Given that we have an American President and an American GM I would be shocked if we didn't get an American coach.

I don't really care what country our coach comes from, to be honest. I want the best coach for TFC. He could be from Canada, Uganda, Germany, Russia, Ghana, North Korea or even Atlantis, just aslong as he puts trophies on the shelf.

NK Toronto
12-02-2020, 11:00 PM
I don't really care what country our coach comes from, to be honest. I want the best coach for TFC. He could be from Canada, Uganda, Germany, Russia, Ghana, North Korea or even Atlantis, just aslong as he puts trophies on the shelf.

I would support hiring the coach of the national team of Atlantis.

reggie
12-02-2020, 11:07 PM
I would support hiring the coach of the national team of Atlantis.
if that was to happen it would be hard to keep this club above water.
a BIG NO to OLSEN

NK Toronto
12-03-2020, 01:08 AM
Maybe ...

https://www.ctvnews.ca/polopoly_fs/1.104828.1337370619!/httpImage/image._gen/derivatives/landscape_620/image.

An absolute disaster everywhere he coached. Got sacked after less than a full season at Bayern. The U.S. regressed during his tenure. And don't forget TFC hired him as a consultant and he recommended they hire Winter. He is generally regarded as a clown in Germany. Would sooner get Olsen.

OgtheDim
12-03-2020, 07:05 AM
Olsen getting a second chance is a particular dream of certain journos in the States.

The only box he ticks is he fits into the culture of the club vis-a-vis giving a shit about each other.

His preferred playing style does not.

Pure spec

How's Patrick Vierra doing?

Oldtimer
12-03-2020, 07:30 AM
If Vanney were really interested in building his resume he should be pursuing a job with a 1st division club in one of the top 5 leagues in Europe.

You've handily illustrated my point that Vanney naysayers believe that only European coaching counts.

For any American coach, managing the USMNT is an unbelievably huge honour. It's not the same as managing Canada where just making the hex is "success" of sorts. The US should by all rights consistently be up there as a top 10 team. Vanney's shown real ability in managing knockout football, so it's like the job is made for him.

If he goes far in the WC, that's * how * he would get a top coaching job in Europe (if he wants it, with a young family he may prefer to stay close to home).

noimpactinmtl
12-03-2020, 10:12 AM
Olsen getting a second chance is a particular dream of certain journos in the States.

The only box he ticks is he fits into the culture of the club vis-a-vis giving a shit about each other.

His preferred playing style does not.

Pure spec

How's Patrick Vierra doing?

His ambitions is in Europe. If you want to hire an Invincible, Freddie Ljungberg is available.

Smokecell
12-03-2020, 10:52 AM
Landon Donovan anyone? (Unlikely if LAG aren't even considering him but still)

Does he own the SD Loyal side that he's currently managing?

MikeForbes
12-03-2020, 11:39 AM
I thought Ljungberg did a good job managing Arsenal in his brief caretaking stint.

jabbronies
12-03-2020, 11:47 AM
Landon Donovan anyone? (Unlikely if LAG aren't even considering him but still)

Does he own the SD Loyal side that he's currently managing?

Hard fucking pass. No thanks. Last thing I would want is to have to listen to that whiney like bitch on a regular basis.

ensco
12-03-2020, 12:50 PM
Torsten Frings? He has a complex back story....

He is managing in Bundesliga 3 now. He managed a year in the top flight at Darmstadt, Darmstadt fans hate him because he spent on veterans that didn't produce, got relegated, got sacked, and then sat out the entirety of his 3 year contract rather than finding a job somewhere else (we would all conclude Darmstadt gave him a dumb contract, it would be normal behaviour in North America, but not getting another job and getting paid out is seemingly a crime against fans in the German context).

I think life at top tier minnows is impossible... he could be one of those cases where we benefit from the "tuition" paid by the last employer. Frings has had very good experience at the assistant level at Bremen.

Otherwise, Dichio.

I like guys with gravitas that are part of the history.

ag futbol
12-03-2020, 12:54 PM
Why has nobody mentioned Mista? That’s the most obvious candidate here, lol

Bushmancan
12-03-2020, 01:50 PM
Hard fucking pass. No thanks. Last thing I would want is to have to listen to that whiney like bitch on a regular basis.

Tell us how you really feel...LOL

MikeForbes
12-03-2020, 06:05 PM
Some of these names people are throwing around on Twitter make me think this is actually an opening for a CPL team.

MikeForbes
12-03-2020, 06:45 PM
Patrick Viera was just fired from Nice. A random Brazilian journo tagged TFC in a post about it. First random foreign rumor of the coaching search!

Bushmancan
12-03-2020, 07:37 PM
Let’s be clear i think Vanney is a good, perhaps great coach. We need to be real, he was given thoroughbreds (highest payroll, Gio, MB and Jozy in their prime) or came knowing this was the case. He deserves real credit making sure everyone rowed the same way. The next coach’s success IMHO will depend as much on MLSE investment and Ali’s capabilities as much as his/her own skill set. If they don’t invest we are going to need a fantastic coach, i really hope that’s not the reason why Vanney left.

let’s hope MLSE still sees the full value of the Reds.

OgtheDim
12-03-2020, 07:51 PM
Patrick Viera was just fired from Nice. A random Brazilian journo tagged TFC in a post about it. First random foreign rumor of the coaching search!

Look just slightly up this thread. :)

And, no, its not a random rumour.

a) MLS experience winning during league (not in playoffs or cup though)

b) player pedigree

c) likes to play attacking style

d) not against playing youth

NK Toronto
12-03-2020, 07:53 PM
Let’s be clear i think Vanney is a good, perhaps great coach. We need to be real, he was given thoroughbreds (highest payroll, Gio, MB and Jozy in their prime) or came knowing this was the case. He deserves real credit making sure everyone rowed the same way. The next coach’s success IMHO will depend as much on MLSE investment and Ali’s capabilities as much as his/her own skill set. If they don’t invest we are going to need a fantastic coach, i really hope that’s not the reason why Vanney left.

let’s hope MLSE still sees the full value of the Reds.

Back in 2017 we were trendy and in fashion so we were able to fill BMO Field each game. We no longer are so avg attendance has dropped in the past 2 years. In order to create a buzz beyond the hardcore (I.e. us) they need another Giovenco type signing. However with nil or very few fans expected in the stands in 2021 I have my doubts that MLSE will be spending big on TFC. Remember their 2 main properties won't have fans in the stands either so MLSE is taking a huge hit financially in 2021.

MikeForbes
12-03-2020, 07:55 PM
Look just slightly up this thread. :)

And, no, its not a random rumour.

a) MLS experience winning during league (not in playoffs or cup though)

b) player pedigree

c) likes to play attacking style

d) not against playing youth

Hahaha. Good call on that. I personally think Viera would be an excellent fit here. Plus I am sure the media and casual soccer fan would absolutely adore the idea of Henry vs. Viera in the Derby.

OgtheDim
12-03-2020, 07:56 PM
Let’s be clear i think Vanney is a good, perhaps great coach. We need to be real, he was given thoroughbreds (highest payroll, Gio, MB and Jozy in their prime) or came knowing this was the case.. .

Just to go over the timeline here

Keven Payne hires Nelsen

Payne is fired

Bez on board

TL on board

Bez hires Vanney for academy but also as backup if Nelsen flames out

Defoe thing
Bradley thing

Nelsen flames out

Vanney hired as manager

Giovinco

Defoe swapped for Altidore

69Chevy396
12-03-2020, 07:58 PM
Seba was a DP while VV was TAM. If Seba stays we are at 3 DP's and can't sign Poz.
Positions not contracts

Bushmancan
12-03-2020, 08:45 PM
Just to go over the timeline here

Vanney hired as manager

Giovinco

Defoe swapped for Altidore

Fair point but you missed the Leiweke thing, and writing was on the wall. Toronto was starved for a winner.

TFC was going to spend and did spend. He never had a deficient squad.

MLSE may not invest, which is why Ali is soooooo important beyond grooming youth (and i am scared) and Viera would be kewl.

Not saying Vanney wasn’t good, read what i am saying. He coached the greatest team ever in MLS, but he also was never, ever lacking.

Smokecell
12-03-2020, 08:45 PM
Wow the candidates from the athletic article are downright depressing

portu
12-03-2020, 09:39 PM
I completely agree. Viera the only one I’d have and even they ruled him out in their own article based upon “him needing greater control of the roster”.

noimpactinmtl
12-03-2020, 09:50 PM
I completely agree. Viera the only one I’d have and even they ruled him out in their own article based upon “him needing greater control of the roster”.

Vieira has to realize at some point that the days of Wenger are long gone. Klopp works closely with Michael Edward and the staff, Arteta with Edu and their team of analytics and agents. There are no "all powerful" manager of the Fergusons and the Wengers. It's as obsolete as the Ozils and the Libero.

Besides, Vieira's stint at Nice does not strike me as a vote of confidence in his ability to build a squad.

That being said, "needing greater control of the roster" does strike me as a little vague. There is a difference between being adamant about a specific player and requesting a player, given a list to choose from, shortening the list before the front office does the negotiating.

ag futbol
12-03-2020, 09:52 PM
Who are these exactly? Forgive me for being too cheap to subscribe

MikeForbes
12-03-2020, 10:07 PM

Gonna assume it is some of those names the hipsters are throwing around on Twitter. Bent, Calichman, Bobby Smyrniotis.

Auzzy
12-03-2020, 11:49 PM

I'm not sure how similar The Athletic's list is, but here's a list of possible candidates from Waking the Red:
- Jason Bent
- Danny Dichio
- John Wolyniec
- Brian Schmetzer (LOL)
- Peter Vermes (ugh)
- Ben Olsen (ugh)
- Bobby Smyrniotis

Graeme
12-04-2020, 08:20 AM
avg attendance has dropped in the past 2 years.

Attendance figures for 2020 were pretty terrible!

jabbronies
12-04-2020, 09:45 AM
Tell us how you really feel...LOL

I don't want to scare people away from the message boards, so I'll keep my true feelings to myself ;)

jabbronies
12-04-2020, 09:47 AM
I'm not sure how similar The Athletic's list is, but here's a list of possible candidates from Waking the Red:
- Jason Bent
- Danny Dichio
- John Wolyniec
- Brian Schmetzer (LOL)
- Peter Vermes (ugh)
- Ben Olsen (ugh)
- Bobby Smyrniotis

Jason Bent is an interesting one. The guy has been here since the beginning. Every manager and FO team has kept him around. He's always one of the guys leading a session at the TFC coaches day. My gut says keep him where he is because he's clearly doing something right.

noxx98
12-04-2020, 09:57 AM
The list at the Athletic is below. https://theathletic.com/2238177/2020/12/03/toronto-fc-coaching-candidates-mls/
- Robin Fraser
- Jason Bent
- Dan Calichman

- Pat Noonan (assistant in Philly)
- Gonzalo Pineda (assistant in Seattle)
- Erza Hendrickson (assistant in Columbus)
- Ben Olsen

- David Wagner (former USMT forward, former Huddersfield Town manager, former Schalke manager)
- Patrick Vieira

- Bobby Smyrniotis
- Pa-Modou Kah (Pacific coach, former assistant with FC Cinci)

MikeForbes
12-04-2020, 10:03 AM
Vieira, Fraser, Wagner or Pineda would be alright, in my opinion. The CPL coaches are a no from me. Really didn't sound from Manning's presser that any of the internal guys would be considered, he just said they would try and find a spot in the organization for them because a new manager would want to bring his own staff.

noxx98
12-04-2020, 10:09 AM
I enjoyed listening to some of the Pa-Modou Kah pressers at the Island Games and he turned Pacific into a positive and fun team. Would like having him on TFC but in an assistant role at this stage.

David Wagner is an interesting name with top flight experience. I don't know much about his team's playing style, but coming from Dortmund I hope he would bring a positive/attacking playing style.

EDIT: Here's an article on David Wagner's team style. Very attack focused and high pressing. http://outsideoftheboot.com/2017/05/22/tactical-philosophy-david-wagner/ I like it.

ManUtd4ever
12-04-2020, 10:36 AM
After going through this song and dance almost every season for the first 7 years of our existence, it feels strange to be discussing this topic again for the first time since 2014.

I personally like the idea of promoting from within the organization. Stability and familiarity are key to success.

Ultra & Proud
12-04-2020, 10:59 AM
I personally like the idea of promoting from within the organization. Stability and familiarity are key to success.

I normally do as well but I think in this case our same old, same old is just old. We should use this as an opportunity to correct some of our issues (team speed, quicker play).

Of that list, although very risky, I would give Wagner a shot. Although the Seattle assistant in intriguing.

Initial B
12-04-2020, 11:31 AM
Why has nobody mentioned Mista? That’s the most obvious candidate here, lol
Let us keep him here in Ottawa for another year or two first. I want to do more scouting on him. g:D

Edit: I think we could get a fairly high-profile name from Europe like Wagner, but they would be looking to rebuild their reputation after a poor run of form. Viera and Wagner fit the bill, but are there others that might also meet the requirements? I think MLSE could entice them with name recognition (I was struck upthread about a random journalist from Brazil tagging TFC) and the pedigree of being the only Treble club in MLS' existence.

ag futbol
12-04-2020, 11:53 AM
I’m okay with an assistant being promoted. We won’t know if they are the right person until after-the-fact but there is no reason why they can’t be successful.

Nick Nurse was an assistant for the raptors before he got the full gig. He was radically different from his predecessor. Lots of examples of this in football too.

ag futbol
12-04-2020, 11:55 AM
Let us keep him here in Ottawa for another year or two first. I want to do more scouting on him. g:D

Edit: I think we could get a fairly high-profile name from Europe like Wagner, but they would be looking to rebuild their reputation after a poor run of form. Viera and Wagner fit the bill, but are there others that might also meet the requirements? I think MLSE could entice them with name recognition (I was struck upthread about a random journalist from Brazil tagging TFC) and the pedigree of being the only Treble club in MLS' existence.
While undoubtedly quality, my hesitation with these types is they have no loyalty and if they do well they will spring board to another job in a few years.

I would like someone, that at least in theory, could be around 4-5 years if they do well.

Ultra & Proud
12-04-2020, 12:47 PM
I’m okay with an assistant being promoted. We won’t know if they are the right person until after-the-fact but there is no reason why they can’t be successful.

Nick Nurse was an assistant for the raptors before he got the full gig. He was radically different from his predecessor. Lots of examples of this in football too.
Nurse had a lot of experience abroad though.

Promoting from within is a good way to stay the course but I am not sold that our course is great long term. I would also be concerned that it may signal a lack of ambition to our players. Basically going with a "budget" version of Vanney. Signing a manager with some name or connections would help with recruitment especially with a new DP or DPs coming in.

ManUtd4ever
12-04-2020, 01:18 PM
I agree regarding getting younger and faster. That falls on Curtis though.

MikeForbes
12-04-2020, 01:20 PM
Paulo Sousa linked to TFC.

https://twitter.com/PsoccerCOM/status/1334924263116189696?s=20

ag futbol
12-04-2020, 01:41 PM
Nurse had a lot of experience abroad though.

Promoting from within is a good way to stay the course but I am not sold that our course is great long term. I would also be concerned that it may signal a lack of ambition to our players. Basically going with a "budget" version of Vanney. Signing a manager with some name or connections would help with recruitment especially with a new DP or DPs coming in.
Absolutely, but keep in mind Nurse was vying for a job in the best league in world too. Might not need that same level of outside experience for TFC.

That said, I really know nothing of the capabilities of our guys ...

NK Toronto
12-04-2020, 02:47 PM

Just looking at his profile and he seems to have coached all over the place, but he never stays longer than a year or two. If you are looking for stability he is not a candidate.

MikeForbes
12-04-2020, 02:59 PM
I think some people will be excited about the Portugal factor. I have no idea if he is a good coach or not though.

NK Toronto
12-04-2020, 03:09 PM
According to Wiki Sousa has coached 9 different clubs since 2009. I don't think that's what TFC is looking for. People would get excited about a Portuguese coach, but I would want someone who is prepared to make a longer commitment

NK Toronto
12-04-2020, 03:22 PM
In terms of a coach I think I would prefer to get someone local or someone lesser known who is committed to the project and can provide stability. The problem with a higher profile coach is they are quick to bolt if things aren't going well or if a better option comes along. Instead of spending big on a coach use that money on a DP.

TFC/Everton
12-04-2020, 03:36 PM

He's managed a lot of teams over the last decade, but his winning percentage is pretty decent. He seems to excel when he has a quality squad.

I am not opposed to this hire. It's good to see we are looking at coaches beyond Ben Olsen.

portu
12-04-2020, 03:52 PM

As cool as having a Portuguese coach would be his resume is really meh

No from me

portu
12-04-2020, 04:07 PM
I wouldn’t mind Mark van Bommel

portu
12-04-2020, 04:10 PM

As cool as having a Portuguese coach would be his resume is really meh

No from me

jloome
12-04-2020, 04:27 PM
These guys all have stellar pro records at a high level and are all available:

Ernesto Valverde

Massimiliano Allegri

Patrick Viera

Laurent Blanc

Savo Milosevic

Mark van Bommel

Leonardo Jardim

Óscar Ramírez

MikeForbes
12-04-2020, 04:55 PM
Allegri not having another club a year and a half after leaving Juve is a mystery to me.

jloome
12-04-2020, 05:05 PM
Allegri not having another club a year and a half after leaving Juve is a mystery to me.

Apparently he has turned down multiple clubs, including at least on in the Premiership so it's a pipe dream on my part. Max sees himself as the next Man Utd manager, I think.

NK Toronto
12-04-2020, 05:06 PM
Can anyone think of a European coach who came to MLS and had a long term successful stint? Frank de Boer is a recent big name but he didn't do so well in Atlanta.

jloome
12-04-2020, 05:19 PM
Can anyone think of a European coach who came to MLS and had a long term successful stint? Frank de Boer is a recent big name but he didn't do so well in Atlanta.

Adrian Heath, Patrick Viera, Gary Smith. Dom Torrent did okay but obviously hated MLS rules and travel. Paunovic was in Chicago for three or four years but I wouldn't call them successful; he may have been hamstrung by front office decisions, as he took the Serbian U21 to the World Cup and he's doing really well at Reading.

There haven't been that many who tried.

If we could get Viera he obviously has the pedigree from NYC and knows the league. I'd like to try a guy like Ramirez, who led Alajuense in Costa Rica to five titles and coached their last national cycle. MLS is still a low-budget league, relatively speaking, and guys from poorer leagues are used to dealing with roster handicaps.

RealG-TFC
12-04-2020, 05:29 PM
I don't actually think long-tem is necessarily what we need right now. Long-term is what we needed when this club was in shambles, which is why Vanney was great. Long-term is what we'll have once Bradley retires and is appointed as an assitant or head coach of TFC2.

It seems Marcelino is out of a job still. Poor guy beat Barcelona for the Copa del Rey last year with Velencia and was sacked for no other reason than Peter Lim seemingly being hell-bent on imploding the club.

NK Toronto
12-04-2020, 05:38 PM
The general sentiment amongst posters is that Vanney is a good coach and it's too bad he left. But he was an unknown when he got here. So maybe another unknown coach who is humble, hard working, and committed is the best option rather than a high priced mercenary who won't fit into the club culture. In other words another Greg Vanney.

At the end of the day its really about the quality of the players that a coach is given that is most important in determining success. If you don't have the players you aren't going to win no matter who is coaching.

MikeForbes
12-04-2020, 06:14 PM
Gabriel Heinze looks to be Atlanta's new coach.

Auzzy
12-04-2020, 06:48 PM
Apparently he has turned down multiple clubs, including at least on in the Premiership so it's a pipe dream on my part. Max sees himself as the next Man Utd manager, I think.

TFC should chat with ManU, maybe we can get Solskjær now and they get Allegri. :D :D

I agree if it's a foreign coach for TFC, only somebody who has done well in a salary-constrained environment and has generally survived in less-than-ideal conditions.

Auzzy
12-04-2020, 06:51 PM
The general sentiment amongst posters is that Vanney is a good coach and it's too bad he left. But he was an unknown when he got here. So maybe another unknown coach who is humble, hard working, and committed is the best option rather than a high priced mercenary who won't fit into the club culture. In other words another Greg Vanney.

At the end of the day its really about the quality of the players that a coach is given that is most important in determining success. If you don't have the players you aren't going to win no matter who is coaching.

But just because Vanney did well, doesn't mean another relative noob would also do well. It's at least as much a risk as any of the other risks discussed here. So much depends on character and other intangibles in that situation. I don't know if Curtis and Manning have the skills and insight to make a good choice in that environment.

Smokecell
12-04-2020, 09:35 PM
Gabriel Heinze looks to be Atlanta's new coach.

Seems a good hire that fits their Latin identity. I hope our next manager is more along these lines.

TFC1154ever
12-04-2020, 11:11 PM
Rumour of Paulo Sousa being a candidate for the job.

I would be very happy with this hire. He has a good pedigree, excluding his quick stay in China.

Hamilton_Red
12-05-2020, 10:15 AM
If we can lure a decent pedigree manager from Europe then I'd pair them up with Bobby Smyrniotis as his assistant. For me ..wasn't impressed with Vierra at NYCFC nor the way he left before accomplishing anything. I'd pass. It would be like grabbing Thierry Henry from Montreal...not proven at all yet.

Bradley ...I'd give some serious consideration to taking the gamble and giving him the reigns. He knows MLS...he has an international mind-set in DNA. You know he is going to follow in his dads management footsteps. He has also been one of the foundational pieces that rescued this team from the hell we were in.

The only MLS coach that I'd consider is Robin Fraser...he was a big part of our success & I think he will go on to success one way or another. He'd fit back in like a glove here.

If there were a suitable Liga MX candidate I'd look there ...doesn't seem to be.

MikeForbes
12-05-2020, 10:44 AM
This will probably look like a stupid post when we have no coach in late January... However, I feel like this search is going to be concluded before the holidays.

NK Toronto
12-05-2020, 11:26 AM
But just because Vanney did well, doesn't mean another relative noob would also do well. It's at least as much a risk as any of the other risks discussed here. So much depends on character and other intangibles in that situation. I don't know if Curtis and Manning have the skills and insight to make a good choice in that environment.

The drawback of hiring a big name coach is it comes with a big price tag and big ego. A name European coach is less likely to be willing to listen to and work well with Curtis and Manning which could cause friction in the club.

Auzzy
12-05-2020, 08:07 PM
The drawback of hiring a big name coach is it comes with a big price tag and big ego. A name European coach is less likely to be willing to listen to and work well with Curtis and Manning which could cause friction in the club.

I wouldn't go for big-name international coach either. There have been plenty of flame-outs in MLS. Good chance they don't like it here: the salary cap & other rules, crazy travel, plastic turf, weather at both extremes, MLS refs, journalists in locker rooms, backwater location in terms of international footy, etc. But I think there are "experienced" coaches between noob and big-name. As I mentioned above, preferably experience in a salary-constrained environment and less-than-ideal conditions.

Smokecell
12-05-2020, 09:21 PM
Frankly I think an experienced Liga MX coach would be ideal assuming that we ultimately want to win the CCL

MightyDM
12-05-2020, 11:22 PM
If we can lure a decent pedigree manager from Europe then I'd pair them up with Bobby Smyrniotis as his assistant. For me ..wasn't impressed with Vierra at NYCFC nor the way he left before accomplishing anything. I'd pass. It would be like grabbing Thierry Henry from Montreal...not proven at all yet.

Bradley ...I'd give some serious consideration to taking the gamble and giving him the reigns. He knows MLS...he has an international mind-set in DNA. You know he is going to follow in his dads management footsteps. He has also been one of the foundational pieces that rescued this team from the hell we were in.

The only MLS coach that I'd consider is Robin Fraser...he was a big part of our success & I think he will go on to success one way or another. He'd fit back in like a glove here.

If there were a suitable Liga MX candidate I'd look there ...doesn't seem to be.
Absolutely completely totally agree with your views

RealG-TFC
12-06-2020, 12:09 AM

This doesn't entice you?

https://media3.giphy.com/media/d0RRZHiz9QaSQ/giphy.gif

TFC1986
12-06-2020, 07:16 AM
Michael Bradley over Danny Dichio for head coach.

Kayaker
12-06-2020, 04:50 PM
This doesn't entice you?

How can you link to Miguel Herrera without using the better version:
https://media1.tenor.com/images/596e843e2c9a1414caee9a98dcdb7e90/tenor.gif?itemid=6175031

Hamilton_Red
12-06-2020, 06:45 PM
That would be fun....get him signed Ali!

Oldtimer
12-06-2020, 06:51 PM
I wouldn't go for big-name international coach either. There have been plenty of flame-outs in MLS. Good chance they don't like it here: the salary cap & other rules, crazy travel, plastic turf, weather at both extremes, MLS refs, journalists in locker rooms, backwater location in terms of international footy, etc. But I think there are "experienced" coaches between noob and big-name. As I mentioned above, preferably experience in a salary-constrained environment and less-than-ideal conditions.

John Carver, after bouncing around, is now an assistant with Scotland. He might have been interesting with Mo's disfunctional regime gone, but then again he'd still need to deal with MLS refs. :ack2:

(I'm only joking, we could do much better than John Carver).

Now more seriously, a lot of European managers can't stand the poor quality of MLS (and all of CONCACAF) officiating, along with all those other things that you mentioned. It's an important factor to consider.

OgtheDim
12-06-2020, 10:05 PM
This doesn't entice you?

No

18 months and he's gone - no thanks.

Red CB Toronto
12-06-2020, 10:22 PM
John Carver was a really beauty, whom here who was around back in the day will never forget him showing up at our tailgate after he had re-signed from the Reds. I also had the pleasure of randomly enjoying a few pints at the pub with him here in Toronto many years later and he was quite candid about his departure, outside of Greg's success he is my all-time favourite manager for TFC.

John Carver, after bouncing around, is now an assistant with Scotland. He might have been interesting with Mo's disfunctional regime gone, but then again he'd still need to deal with MLS refs. :ack2:

(I'm only joking, we could do much better than John Carver).

Now more seriously, a lot of European managers can't stand the poor quality of MLS (and all of CONCACAF) officiating, along with all those other things that you mentioned. It's an important factor to consider.

James17930
12-07-2020, 02:06 AM
Michael Bradley over Danny Dichio for head coach.

Though I'd still prefer someone with experience over either.

But preferably not someone who has bounced around 10 times in 10 years, or whatever.

None of the names I've seen being thrown around so far inspire me with much confidence.

Yohan
12-07-2020, 11:55 PM
Please park a truck full of cash to Schmeltzer's house. I hear he has not re-signed yet for Sounders

portu
12-07-2020, 11:59 PM
Please park a truck full of cash to Schmeltzer's house. I hear he has not re-signed yet for Sounders
Get Lagerwey as well while we’re at it

Blizzard
12-08-2020, 01:42 AM
Though I'd still prefer someone with my experience over either.

But preferably not someone who has bounced around 10 times in 10 years, or whatever.

None of the names I've seen being thrown around so far inspire me with much confidence.

It's all just gossip. I'm not taking anything I've heard with any level of seriousness at this point in time.

James17930
12-08-2020, 08:55 AM
It's all just gossip. I'm not taking anything I've heard with any level of seriousness at this point in time.

True.

MikeForbes
12-09-2020, 01:58 PM
Laurent Blanc and Vieira are getting interviews.

https://twitter.com/frankdellapa/status/1336742912521068548?s=20

portu
12-09-2020, 02:14 PM
Laurent Blanc and Vieira are getting interviews.

https://twitter.com/frankdellapa/status/1336742912521068548?s=20
I back both of these

Laurent Blanc would have me over the moon

Canary10
12-09-2020, 02:27 PM
Rumours floating around Twitter something is going to be announced imminently.

Smokecell
12-09-2020, 03:39 PM
Now we're talking...the Athletic article had me worried but it's reassuring to know that was nothing more than Kloke playing connect the dots in a sandbox.

Blanc would put us on the map.

ag futbol
12-09-2020, 03:52 PM
Blanc would be great. Fantastic signal about our future intentions.

portu
12-09-2020, 03:55 PM
Blanc was on 5.6 million USD when he left PSG. Wonder if we can afford him.

Ultra & Proud
12-09-2020, 04:04 PM
Blanc was on 5.6 million USD when he left PSG. Wonder if we can afford him.
Apparently the league was making an extra $1Bn in revenue prior to the Covid era so there's lots of money everywhere.

But seriously, it's MLSE. They can afford anything if they want to and for them, that's not much. Remember they are very diversified and have a lot of revenue streams beside attended sporting events.

MikeForbes
12-09-2020, 05:33 PM
Would Laurent Blanc be the biggest coaching hire in MLS history?

Ultra & Proud
12-09-2020, 06:30 PM

Him and Tata Martino I guess.

Initial B
12-10-2020, 07:10 PM
I'm leery about Blanc as doesn't look like he's coached in a while. I wonder if he is current with the latest tactical trends in the game. Or does time off matter as much with coaches as it does with players?

James17930
12-11-2020, 01:54 AM
I'm leery about Blanc as doesn't look like he's coached in a while. I wonder if he is current with the latest tactical trends in the game. Or does time off matter as much with coaches as it does with players?

It's only been a couple of years – I don't think that's going to matter much.

I wasn't that familiar with him so I've been checking out his CV. I'm highly impressed. Landing him really would be pretty impressive.

But it is a bit curious – why have so much time off, and then be interested in coming to MLS? I'm interested to hear the explanation.

OgtheDim
12-11-2020, 06:56 AM
This is curious - second hand opinion from France indicates Blanc turned down the job at Nantes https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2020/laurent-blanc-rejects-nantes-job/

he doesn’t like the idea of taking over a team in the middle of the season without full control over the recruitment policy and preparing the team.

ensco
12-11-2020, 08:35 AM
I will be happy to eat these electrons ... but seriously, Laurent Blanc is not coming to TFC.

It is ticket selling season, amigos.

Carry on.

jabbronies
12-11-2020, 09:23 AM

I wouldn't get your hopes up for any of this.

Just because he's successful in Europe, doesn't mean he could come here and replicate any form of that success. The budgets and player depth are far inferior to what he's worked with in the past. Not every manager can deal with that. He could be the biggest coaching flop in MLS history as well.

The Patrick Viera thing interests me more. He did well at NYCFC. He knows the limitations of the league.
I just don't know how much of the squad and style of play he would want to change. That would be my only concern.

UltraFootyKWC
12-11-2020, 11:32 AM
WOW -- the "Gregfather" scarf needs to be made.....he will go down as our first "legendary" (in a good way) coach in club history.....is it wrong that I am very nervous as to who comes in next, and what effect that has on the group?

^^THIS

I will forever be grateful for all of the success that Greg has helped bring to our glorious club. He is leaving behind a team with a solid core of experienced players and a good crop of young exciting talent. I think that whoever comes in next will be able to hit the ground running and continue to build on foundation that Greg is leaving behind.

You will be missed Gaffer!

James17930
12-11-2020, 05:51 PM
I will be happy to eat these electrons ... but seriously, Laurent Blanc is not coming to TFC.

Carry on.

Well, it's been confirmed by multiple sources that he's actually being interviewed, so it's not completely far-fetched.

noimpactinmtl
12-11-2020, 06:34 PM
I wouldn't get your hopes up for any of this.

Just because he's successful in Europe, doesn't mean he could come here and replicate any form of that success. The budgets and player depth are far inferior to what he's worked with in the past. Not every manager can deal with that. He could be the biggest coaching flop in MLS history as well.

The Patrick Viera thing interests me more. He did well at NYCFC. He knows the limitations of the league.
I just don't know how much of the squad and style of play he would want to change. That would be my only concern.

The biggest concern for Vieira is the control he wants over roster building. That could be interpreted in many ways. Does he want the final say, a say in the decision making, or be part of a collaborative effort with Ali Curtis and Bill Manning? If Vieira is happy with being part of the discussion with bringing new players in, yes bring him in, since that happened to be Vanney's role during his tenure here.

MightyDM
12-11-2020, 08:19 PM

i thought the same about jose mourinho but he seems to be doing just fine, so who knows?

MightyDM
12-11-2020, 08:20 PM

Carry on.
You are right but let us have some fun Ensco!

MightyDM
12-11-2020, 08:23 PM
The biggest concern for Vieira is the control he wants over roster building. That could be interpreted in many ways. Does he want the final say, a say in the decision making, or be part of a collaborative effort with Ali Curtis and Bill Manning? If Vieira is happy with being part of the discussion with bringing new players in, yes bring him in, since that happened to be Vanney's role during his tenure here.

I would trust Viera over Ali. There is no way someone of his pedigree will accept putting his reputation and success in the hands of someone with the pedigree of Curtis

Smokecell
12-11-2020, 09:07 PM

Carry on.

I mean sure but is a French manager really a draw?

The people that truly care about this are probably already STH or already planning on coming to BMO. Some French guy Joe and Jane haven’t heard of isn’t going to move the needle. I can’t see a manager not named Cannavarro, Gattuso or Mourinho etc selling tickets here for obvious cultural reasons.

portu
12-11-2020, 09:57 PM
I mean sure but is a French manager really a draw?

The people that truly care about this are probably already STH or already planning on coming to BMO. Some French guy Joe and Jane haven’t heard of isn’t going to move the needle. I can’t see a manager not named Cannavarro, Gattuso or Mourinho etc selling tickets here for obvious cultural reasons.
I have to agree with this to be honest. If Blanc were Portuguese or Italian then he’d have a big draw. Not sure how in tune the soccer population is going to be with a guy who has spent his entire managerial career in France.

Then again if the media hypes the shit out of him he may pick up some serious fanfare.

Ultra & Proud
12-11-2020, 10:41 PM
I have to agree with this to be honest. If Blanc were Portuguese or Italian then he’d have a big draw. Not sure how in tune the soccer population is going to be with a guy who has spent his entire managerial career in France.

Then again if the media hypes the shit out of him he may pick up some serious fanfare.
Luckily since we're not Dallas or Houston and actually have a solid fanbase, we don't have to worry about appealing to certain nationalities to beg for fans.

James17930
12-12-2020, 01:54 AM
Luckily since we're not Dallas or Houston and actually have a solid fanbase, we don't have to worry about appealing to certain nationalities to beg for fans.

No kidding. If someone only cares about a player and/or coach (and the so the 'team') based on their ethnicity, they're not really a fan, and they also haven't really learned anything from living in Toronto.