PDA

View Full Version : MLS Playoffs 2020

OgtheDim
11-06-2020, 11:18 AM
https://twitter.com/SoccerInsider/status/1324745904721637378

MikeForbes
11-06-2020, 02:15 PM
Winning MLS Cup would be a grand birthday present.

OgtheDim
11-06-2020, 07:57 PM
https://twitter.com/MLS/status/1324743437321707521

Looking at this, our playoff campaign starts on the 24th (there is no way we play a team 2 days after a playin game)

RealG-TFC
11-06-2020, 08:10 PM
https://twitter.com/MLS/status/1324743437321707521

Looking at this, our playoff campaign starts on the 24th (there is no way we play a team 2 days after a playin game)

These are all one-offs, right?

OgtheDim
11-06-2020, 10:04 PM
Yup, all one game cup style stuff. Loads of fun - its like the NCAA tourney in that regard - quick, unpredictable & very dependent upon momentum. 3 games in 12 days then & 4 in 18.

We could go far or we could be done by 40 minutes into the first match.

This is one reason why the shield is more important to me as a trophy as its a true representation of the quality of a team that season.

I'm going to enjoy the spectacle of the playoffs but the longer they do this style, the more important the league season becomes.

PizzaEatingYeti
11-07-2020, 05:40 AM
This is one reason why the shield is more important to me as a trophy as its a true representation of the quality of a team that season.

Of course!
Probably the biggest reason. After a full year of lots of games, the supreme award of the whole season is awarded for a tourney of just 4 matches, through which the sum of the momentarily form and blind luck usually matters more than the real value of a team.

This is why the lovers of the King sport worldwide outside US and Canada will never consider MLS a "serious" league, together with reason 2,3.

Reasons 2, 3 are the forever absence of relegation/promotion, and the convoluted rules off capped teams/DP-s, etc.

With these 3 reasons probably ruling forever, the one and only way MLS would be considered a "almost serious" league by the outside footy world, would be if it's representants would win regulary (maybe every 2nd year) the CONCACAF champs league, and would also have powerful showings in the World's Champs Leagues winners' yearly tourneys.

But sorry, I digressed too much from the subject of this thread, lol.

OgtheDim
11-07-2020, 07:28 AM
Pro/Rel isn't necessary to be taken seriously (see Mexico which is defacto not pro/rel & much of South America)

Soccer being taken seriously is ALWAYS about quality of play because when it comes down to it, "serious" = "I like it the bestest".

Until there is the $ (mostly TV) that is in the larger Euro leagues, MLS is not going to compare in quality.

BUT, most of the world enjoys its local football and accepts that it is not at the quality of the best leagues in Europe and nobody seems to call it "not serious". Like, Belgian league quality = MLS in my mind and nobody calls that league "not serious". Heck, do people in Greenland call their leagues "not serious" and they play in a weird cup like competition that ends with a tournament held over a few days.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/20/sports/greenland-soccer.html

This emphasis on "serious" is just gate keeping sport and in a world where we can't do much of what we used to be able to do, I'll take the imperfect.

OgtheDim
11-08-2020, 08:54 PM
Leach reported this tonight

https://twitter.com/MLeach680News/status/1325572536931766272

Can't see the feds approving a fly in and out right now, given the issues in the GTA.

KJ on TSN indicating TFC & Impact asking health authorities to practice at home without quarantine waits before heading back, saying 2 weeks with only practicing away from home will likely mentally kill the teams off. Idea is to only practice with the people who were in Hartford & nobody additional coming into contact beyond families.

OgtheDim
11-08-2020, 09:19 PM
Anyways, here's the current draw

https://twitter.com/MLS/status/1325616731587489793

NK Toronto
11-08-2020, 10:15 PM
We play the winner of Columbus vs NYRB. We could easily lose against either team. I actually would prefer to play Columbus.

Red CB Toronto
11-09-2020, 12:23 AM
i wonder if Dr. Eileen de Villa as chief medical officer could play a part in letting the Reds return to train and play in Toronto with strict plans for it.

Can't see the feds approving a fly in and out right now, given the issues in the GTA.

KJ on TSN indicating TFC & Impact asking health authorities to practice at home without quarantine waits before heading back, saying 2 weeks with only practicing away from home will likely mentally kill the teams off. Idea is to only practice with the people who were in Hartford & nobody additional coming into contact beyond families.

Auzzy
11-09-2020, 01:50 AM
TFC would probably need approval from all 3 levels of government, because international travel is involved (feds), plus province and City (de Villa) anyway due to public health. The province can override the City; or the province can decide to follow the recommendation of local public health.

PizzaEatingYeti
11-09-2020, 04:15 AM
We play the winner of Columbus vs NYRB. We could easily lose against either team. I actually would prefer to play Columbus.

You're right.
Plus looking at Philly's side of the Eastern bracket, that looks clearly weaker than our side, Philly having a visibly easier road to the conference final.

Joe Kool
11-09-2020, 09:02 AM
Going by our injuries and current form I don't think we make it far in the playoffs this year. We barely could stay in the Shield race for the last several games. That is my gut feel anyway after watching yesterday's game. I know we scraped by and kicked and fought our way to the final last year. I just don't see that happening again without our full lineup healthy.

YYZ_Fan
11-09-2020, 11:35 AM

I believe Philly gets the lowest ranked winner of the play-in round. Brackets are not yet set. Can anyone confirm?

rydermike
11-09-2020, 11:55 AM
I believe Philly gets the lowest ranked winner of the play-in round. Brackets are not yet set. Can anyone confirm?

Philly gets the lowest ranked play-in team, however, I believe after that the bracket is set. Columbus/NYRB is the other QF in our half of the bracket, so we'd face the winner, assuming we win our QF match

BendItLikeGio
11-09-2020, 12:32 PM
Team will not be playing in toronto!! However the practise portion is still in question, as the only thing Toronto players were allowed to do during the season was come to see family stay home then fly back out. However the team is looking from approval from the government to let the players practise in toronto up until the playoffs begin.

Initial B
11-09-2020, 06:15 PM
Hey, since the training grounds are at Downsview, why can't MLSE simply charter a QS400 from Porter and fly directly from Hartford to Downsview Airport, then put up the players and staff in a bubble at the training grounds where their families can visit? They don't leave Downsview except to fly out for matches in Hartford or Philly.

Yohan
11-09-2020, 08:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCUR1gcH08k&ab_channel=MajorLeagueSoccer

A lot of exciting final games last sunday

OgtheDim
11-09-2020, 09:11 PM
Hmm....fake shield raised by Philly.

Looks like the supporters shield committee isn't really all that needed after all.

Bushmancan
11-09-2020, 09:37 PM
Hmm....fake shield raised by Philly.

Looks like the supporters shield committee isn't really all that needed after all.

Should we still make the man hole cover for shits and giggles.

JonO
11-11-2020, 09:03 AM

I get that the optics would be bad, but in reality it would not be outside the norm. Apparently, "More than 4.6 million people have arrived in Canada since the border closed last March but less than one-quarter of them were ordered to quarantine."

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/majority-of-international-travellers-since-march-deemed-essential-avoid-quarantine-1.5158073

Red CB Toronto
11-11-2020, 09:43 AM
I get that the optics would be bad, but in reality it would not be outside the norm. Apparently, "More than 4.6 million people have arrived in Canada since the border closed last March but less than one-quarter of them were ordered to quarantine."

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/majority-of-international-travellers-since-march-deemed-essential-avoid-quarantine-1.5158073

Test them all before leaving Connecticut. In a private US setting they could get the results back very quickly or if needed go the rapid testing route. During this time back in Toronto all those involved can be one of two places, the training ground or in their house. Too bad they do not have the Jays luxury of having a hotel, maybe they could use BMO and stay at Hotel X like the NHL did? View the Ex as the quarantine area.

Auzzy
11-11-2020, 02:48 PM

Generally the people that don’t have to quarantine are essential workers, like truck drivers and airline crews. Of course those kinds of workers can’t quarantine every time they cross. Think about how quickly Canada would come to a complete halt if you inhibited trucking for example. Most of these companies also have pretty good infection control procedures, because they don’t want these employees or their families to become infected.

Soccer players and staff are not essential workers. Plus they are high profile, and there would be huge complaints of favouritism if they were allowed back & forth repeatedly. It would make it much harder to maintain the whole border closure. I know there are other exceptions, and some of those decisions may be really dumb, but they’re generally low profile. I mean people were even freaking about company CEOs being allowed across.

The numbers in the millions are also misleading. Those aren’t all unique people. When you think of truckers, airline crew, or health care workers & others commuting across the border to their job: those are mostly repeat visits by a much smaller number of individuals.

And let’s not forget: those “millions” are a tiny fraction of the normal border crossings. That’s what kept the pandemic somewhat under control in Canada. And right now most of the provinces have much bigger issues to worry about than MLS.

Let’s see how the border pilot project in Alberta works out (with testing). That might be a model for MLS in the new year, until a vaccine is widespread. The big problem with all the rapid testing is the incubation period, as we saw with the Patriots, Colorado Rapids, and many other sports teams (where there is generally lots of close contact).

Edit: a onetime exception for TFC’s training in these two weeks might be something else. Has a decision already been made?

Red CB Toronto
11-11-2020, 03:22 PM
https://twitter.com/Beezersun/status/1326586108541591552

PaceyWinger
11-12-2020, 12:38 PM
Pro/Rel isn't necessary to be taken seriously (see Mexico which is defacto not pro/rel & much of South America)

Soccer being taken seriously is ALWAYS about quality of play because when it comes down to it, "serious" = "I like it the bestest".

Until there is the $ (mostly TV) that is in the larger Euro leagues, MLS is not going to compare in quality.

BUT, most of the world enjoys its local football and accepts that it is not at the quality of the best leagues in Europe and nobody seems to call it "not serious". Like, Belgian league quality = MLS in my mind and nobody calls that league "not serious". Heck, do people in Greenland call their leagues "not serious" and they play in a weird cup like competition that ends with a tournament held over a few days.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/20/sports/greenland-soccer.html

This emphasis on "serious" is just gate keeping sport and in a world where we can't do much of what we used to be able to do, I'll take the imperfect.

I agree. Long ago MLS decided to follow the NFL pathway with franchises paying fees to join the league. Pro/Rel doesn't accomplish what they want which is stability. You want the franchise stability in each market like you get with the Vikings, Lions and Rams even if they stink for long periods of time. And while pro/rel does make the season more fun, there is the fact that in many euro leagues the top of the table is decided long before a boot touches a blade of grass. That is why I like the Supporter's sheild as Trophy #1 (in importance because it is hardest to win) and MLS Cup as Trophy #2. Even if you're a mid table team there is still something to play for. Having a second tournament is a great way for a team like Colorado or Montreal to keep pushing. In Europe they would be safe from rel and have no shot at the Shield or a CL spot.

OgtheDim
11-12-2020, 09:24 PM
Turns out our game on the 24th is going to kickoff at 6pm - Philly game @8. Makes some sense TV wise.

Given the 2 hour windows, I'm wondering if ET is banned this time.

NK Toronto
11-12-2020, 09:31 PM
Turns out our game on the 24th is going to kickoff at 6pm - Philly game @8. Makes some sense TV wise.

Given the 2 hour windows, I'm wondering if ET is banned this time.

How can extra time be banned? You mean they go straight to penalties? Geez, why not just flip a coin. This is what the MLS Cup playoffs have become.

Mike_S
11-13-2020, 09:41 AM
^^ Take it easy gents, the playoff games next weekend are all scheduled a minimum of 21/2 hours apart. :-D

Redpunkfiddle
11-14-2020, 10:30 AM
There’ll be extra time.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.mlssoccer.com/league/official-rules/competition-rules-and-regulations%3famp

For some reason our game and Philly’s is the only one separated by only 2hrs

rydermike
11-14-2020, 12:26 PM
For some reason our game and Philly’s is the only one separated by only 2hrs

Clearly, the league knows that come playoff time, we're an "effing good team that effing works" so we won't need extra time. g:D

stevep
11-14-2020, 07:14 PM
Clearly, the league knows that come playoff time, we're an "effing good team that effing works" so we won't need extra time. g:D
If jozy,piartti, Oso, richie, Omar healthy TFC is the best team in the league. If few of those guys injured TFC is an average team at best

CBTFC
11-15-2020, 07:18 AM
Yep, I agree with that stevep. I've always felt that man games lost to injury is such an underrated and overlooked stat when it comes to team sports.

Look what happens in the NBA if a team even loses just one of its best players to injury, and if it's 2 then that team is hard pressed to continue to perform at or above when those players went out. Not impossible, but really tough.

Our full, healthy starting 11 can take on any team in the league, toe to toe. Yep, I get it injuries happen in team sports and the coach/manager should have the ability to "work with what he's got", but that only goes so far with MLS's cap structure/etc.

Just my blurry eyed still waking up drinking coffee perspective ;)

p.s. very much looking forward to settling in on friday evening to catch the 2 play in round games, and for me it's a toss up between all 4 teams with it being a one off. Anything could happen, and typically the best team in the game doesn't always win (as we know too well ;) :P )

MikeForbes
11-16-2020, 05:32 PM
Hoping for either Montreal or Nashville.

rydermike
11-18-2020, 05:25 PM
Teams that have COVID outbreaks in the playoffs could potentially forfeit matches
https://www.espn.com/soccer/major-league-soccer/story/4236588/mls-cup-playoff-teams-could-forfeit-if-covid-outbreaks-occur-sources

James17930
11-18-2020, 09:22 PM
Teams that have COVID outbreaks in the playoffs could potentially forfeit matches
https://www.espn.com/soccer/major-league-soccer/story/4236588/mls-cup-playoff-teams-could-forfeit-if-covid-outbreaks-occur-sources

Not much else they can do.

But can you imagine if this is how a team actually wins the MLS Cup final?

Bonkers.

613reppingTFC
11-19-2020, 09:09 AM
It looks like players returning from international duty don't have to quarantine if they test negative (Pizzaro being one of them for Miami). So this could for sure play a part in affecting some of the teams.

Is it the player or the team's decision to let them go and play for country? I think i saw somewhere that no one from MLS was selected for the US Men's national team during this break (could be wrong though) because they are about to enter playoffs and didn't want to disrupt any teams

Mike_S
11-19-2020, 09:47 AM
^^If a national team calls a player, FIFA rules require the club team to permit the player to go.

noxx98
11-19-2020, 10:05 AM
FIFA allowed an exception if the COVID quarantine rules either by the league or home country would require the player to quarantine for an extended period of time upon returning from international duty. I forget what the exact length of time was.

On TSN's Playoff preview last night, they interviewed Greg Vanney. Apparently there's only one "question mark" on the injury front, with everyone else good to go. Hopefully that means Piatti and Delgado are ready. Caldwell and KJ aren't sure which player is the question mark.

Graeme
11-19-2020, 11:03 AM
On TSN's Playoff preview last night, they interviewed Greg Vanney. Apparently there's only one "question mark" on the injury front, with everyone else good to go. Hopefully that means Piatti and Delgado are ready. Caldwell and KJ aren't sure which player is the question mark.

If that's the case, I'd love to see Delgado/Osorio/Poz/Piatti start in the midfield. Bradley to the bench for this one!

MikeForbes
11-19-2020, 11:11 AM
What was Morrow's injury? I feel like it might be him who is the question mark.

noxx98
11-19-2020, 11:42 AM
What was Morrow's injury? I feel like it might be him who is the question mark.
He's had so many this season it's hard to keep track. I think a leg injury of some sorts.

ag futbol
11-19-2020, 04:31 PM
Interested to see how these guys play on game day. Certainly they may be able to see the field but they may not be fully 100% or in form.

Let’s hope for the best. The break should have been helpful.

OgtheDim
11-19-2020, 08:58 PM
Bono might be the question mark...

Wheeler had news

https://twitter.com/GarethWheeler/status/1329593113929781251

MikeForbes
11-19-2020, 09:18 PM
Bono being the question mark would be the best case scenario. Piatti being back would be huge.

MikeForbes
11-19-2020, 09:23 PM
Miami has had a Covid outbreak.

https://twitter.com/FrancoPanizo/status/1329606830562095106?s=20

OgtheDim
11-19-2020, 09:38 PM
Miami journos indicating Miami is going to be scraping the barrel to get enough subs.

More & more looking like Nashville will be our opponent - they are VERY well organized & tough to break down. 24 goals for, 22 against. A stifling midfield & opportunistic attack.

MikeForbes
11-20-2020, 12:52 PM
Both the Higuain brothers have Covid and will miss tonight's game.

Bushmancan
11-20-2020, 03:42 PM
Both the Higuain brothers have Covid and will miss tonight's game.

Rather than asking who do we want to play, who do we want Philly to play Montreal or Nashville?

MikeForbes
11-20-2020, 04:37 PM
Rather than asking who do we want to play, who do we want Philly to play Montreal or Nashville?

Probably Nashville. But that is likely our matchup.

Red CB Toronto
11-20-2020, 06:20 PM
As far as I know the Reds have been training all week and does it not seem a little quiet on that front? Not a single social media post, video etc from training, kind of strange if you ask me. With the Reds back in Toronto for the week, you would have thought they would have been trying to build up interest in the playoff game next week.

MikeForbes
11-20-2020, 07:06 PM
This New England/Montreal game is really fun so far.

MikeForbes
11-20-2020, 07:27 PM
Tajon Buchanan has been the best player on the field tonight. Interesting to see him line up as a RB tonight too. The national team might of went from having no full backs to having too many in the span of two years. Now if only we could develop one decent centerback.

MikeForbes
11-20-2020, 07:34 PM
Beautiful volley from Gil to make it 1-0 for the Revs.

Bushmancan
11-20-2020, 08:14 PM
1-1 Quioto

OgtheDim
11-20-2020, 08:22 PM
Both these teams now playing like "OK, we'll take a draw - when's the flight home & who are we playing next week?"

tfcfans
11-20-2020, 08:48 PM
Wow!

NER win it at the whistle....

Bushmancan
11-20-2020, 08:51 PM
Looks like we have NE in Hartford. Are they allowing fans, less than 2 hrs from Boston.

OgtheDim
11-20-2020, 08:52 PM
Looks like we have NE in Hartford. Are they allowing fans, less than 2 hrs from Boston.

Only if Miami wins the next game.

James17930
11-20-2020, 09:02 PM

Which would be a miracle at this point. Are they missing literally all their big players?

Red CB Toronto
11-20-2020, 09:29 PM

Will likely depend on the opponent , the Reds are not going to let an away supporter invasion happen.

Red CB Toronto
11-20-2020, 09:34 PM
Nashville up 1-0 on a rocket. What a strike.

MikeForbes
11-20-2020, 09:44 PM
Nashville vs. TFC on Tuesday, it seems.

OgtheDim
11-20-2020, 09:45 PM
Not sure there are any lessons to be learned about Nashville from this match. We won't let them have the ball like this & they don't like to have the ball like this.

Ball movement will be what wins that game.

MikeForbes
11-20-2020, 09:49 PM
We'll run them over in midfield. Even if Bradley starts.

OgtheDim
11-20-2020, 09:52 PM
We'll run them over in midfield. Even if Bradley starts.

Nashville likes to press. Bradley isn't the right player against these guys for a number of reasons.

MikeForbes
11-20-2020, 09:55 PM
Nashville likes to press. Bradley isn't the right player against these guys for a number of reasons.

Indeed. It just seems a formality that Bradley will play every single second of TFC's playoff run regardless of how he plays.

NK Toronto
11-20-2020, 10:18 PM
I tend to agree. Bradley's status in the club seems to supercede any game plans as to whether he should be in the starting lineup

MikeForbes
11-20-2020, 10:40 PM
I tend to agree. Bradley's status in the club seems to supercede any game plans as to whether he should be in the starting lineup

Yep. For better or worse Michael Bradley is gonna play. I want to see Osorio and Delgado playing in the center of the pitch. I expect to see Bradley and Delgado in the middle with Osorio pushed to the left.

MightyDM
11-20-2020, 10:41 PM

It will be a very interesting decision for Vanney. Class is permanent, but Bradley’s game has not recovered from two serious injuries. On the other hand we don’t know how everyone has trained.

Nashville is impressive. Omar will be needed against that tall hold up striker (Cadiz). And I have always rated McCarty. But Miami looks terrible, particularly Powell.

And that was never a penalty.

Bushmancan
11-20-2020, 11:06 PM

Uggh, misread the table. Dont necessarily want Nashville but NE is a different team with Bou and Gill. This wont be a cakewalk for Philly.

ag futbol
11-20-2020, 11:17 PM
I think Nashville is an okay side but their potency tonight was a tad overstated by a true expansion team in Miami that looks to have blown several major signings (Matuidi = junk).

I think we will win but have to be on our game. Certainly they can catch us if we don’t play well.

OgtheDim
11-21-2020, 11:29 AM
Matuidi not being able to keep up with Dax was.....painful.

OgtheDim
11-21-2020, 12:13 PM
TSN using the NYC feed....really bad colour guy alert.

tfcfans
11-21-2020, 02:00 PM
Crazy stuff in Orlando - a yellow for NYC and a Red for Orlando....

OgtheDim
11-21-2020, 02:06 PM
"He pressed my tummy - give him a red"

10 minutes of extra time & NYC giving 10 man Orlando room to maneuver

Yohan
11-21-2020, 02:31 PM
https://league-mp7static.mlsdigital.net/styles/image_landscape/s3/images/Orlando%20tifo.png?YfagEWkegtfc1PdJnKi9o6Gzg.Tg5Mz Y&itok=O-kK2PpU&c=09ea27963def4dab0c39ad1d1c0ae02b

RealG-TFC
11-21-2020, 02:37 PM
yikes

tfcfans
11-21-2020, 03:09 PM
Craziness in Orlando....

Yohan
11-21-2020, 03:10 PM
literally WWE shit going on in Orlando.

you cannot say MLS playoffs are boring

pekduck
11-21-2020, 03:10 PM
Virtually no calls went Orlando’s way. Ridiculous game.

Smokecell
11-21-2020, 03:11 PM
One of the most MLS things you’ll ever see happening in ORL

Yohan
11-21-2020, 03:13 PM
One of the most MLS things you’ll ever see happening in ORL
the funny thing is, as per the rules, it was the right call

tfcfans
11-21-2020, 03:14 PM
No one knows the rules.....Yeesh

tfcfans
11-21-2020, 03:15 PM
Either way, even if Orlando still wins, they still lose their starting goalie for the next round on that replay call, which is huge.....

tfcfans
11-21-2020, 03:18 PM
Wow!!!!!!

Smokecell
11-21-2020, 03:18 PM
This is fairly embarrassing...nobody knows the sub rule

tfcfans
11-21-2020, 03:21 PM
Just insanity.....

pekduck
11-21-2020, 03:22 PM
geeeez. what a farce of a game.

tfcfans
11-21-2020, 03:23 PM
Imagine if Justin Morrow saved a penalty to win a playoff game......that’s where we are......craziness.....

Yohan
11-21-2020, 03:25 PM
man. if you missed out on the Orlando-NYCFC PK shootout, watch it.

it will go down in history as one of the most bizarre and dramatic

PaceyWinger
11-21-2020, 03:26 PM
Uhh.. that was probably the most in...sane match I've ever witnessed. Sheer madness.

PaceyWinger
11-21-2020, 03:27 PM

The game itself was bonkers and ended in the most confusing way possible lol.

OgtheDim
11-21-2020, 03:29 PM

This ....Schlegel now an Orlando legend for life

MikeForbes
11-21-2020, 03:46 PM
These playoff games have been so good. That penalty shoot out had me wondering... Who would be our emergency keeper? Omar?

OgtheDim
11-21-2020, 05:01 PM
This is how legends are born

https://twitter.com/byjuliapoe/status/1330250544775041026

&

https://twitter.com/MattDoyle76/status/1330256863238250498

rydermike
11-21-2020, 06:17 PM
Entire Penalty shootout. Fire this ref. Inconsistent in his rules and he can't count. MLS wanted NYCFC to win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbZx4XZrnX4&ab_channel=SpidyBat

EDIT: Shootout with different commentators (from the critical moment to the end)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n04h-OXZOtY&ab_channel=MajorLeagueSoccer

Bushmancan
11-21-2020, 08:14 PM
Entire Penalty shootout. Fire this ref. Inconsistent in his rules and he can't count. MLS wanted NYCFC to win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbZx4XZrnX4&ab_channel=SpidyBat

Thank you for posting that.... craziest thing I have seen in a long time

benito
11-21-2020, 09:01 PM
That was crazy. Never seen anything like that.

rydermike
11-21-2020, 09:31 PM
Summary of the penalty shootout shenanigans and referee errors:
I say watch the video before reading this. It's well worth the 20 minute watch

Orlando goalkeeper makes save to win the game, however, Penalty called back by VAR for keeper not having one foot on the line.
Correct call by rules (VAR made this call, not Allan Chapman and the linesman, but harsh and I wouldn't call it)

Referee gives keeper a yellow (which is his second yellow of the game)
Incorrect call by rules - first offense is a Verbal Warning. Second offense is a yellow. Warning was never given.

Referee initially allows Orlando to make a substitution for a new goalkeeper during the penalty shootout.
Incorrect, but later corrected and substitution reversed. (Never should have happened, so I label this as an error, since VAR were the ones to correct it not Chapman)

Sean Johnson makes save on Nani. Johnson's right foot advanced, but he maintained his left foot on the line.
Correct call (keeper needs one foot on the line as of 2019-20)

Schlegel makes save on the first penalty of the second round of sudden death. Score still 5-5. Referee blows whistle three times to indicate game over.
Obviously incorrect. Still a tie and he called the game over. VAR had to tell him game was not over.

All in all, a horrendous showing by Allan Chapman and the officiating crew (since they were all involved, especially the 4th official with allowing the substitution). VAR had to correct him multiple times

OgtheDim
11-21-2020, 09:52 PM
MLS is following 2019-2020 rules (March to end of season has same rules) - not the rules as of August

So, yes, a foot off the line is a yellow under current MLS rules

ag futbol
11-21-2020, 10:57 PM
Ooof. What a farce. Looks poor on the league in my opinion.

MightyDM
11-22-2020, 02:05 AM
If those are the rules, they are an ass. A minor transgression resulting in a penalty retake and a red card? Come on. His fit was a couple of inches over the mine and it was a natural movement. Never should have been called back, let alone a yellow

Yohan
11-22-2020, 11:06 AM
If those are the rules, they are an ass. A minor transgression resulting in a penalty retake and a red card? Come on. His fit was a couple of inches over the mine and it was a natural movement. Never should have been called back, let alone a yellow
So, should offside calls not be given if the attacker is inches past the last defender?

ensco
11-22-2020, 11:22 AM
OK I gotta chime in here, just because that was so funny - a non GK does not know how to dive low. How could that NYCFC guy shoot high against the Orlando DB playing keeper?

Seriously, that is one of the all time worst gaffes I have ever seen in pro sports.

ag futbol
11-22-2020, 01:58 PM
So, should offside calls not be given if the attacker is inches past the last defender?
I think the comparison here is more so the handball rule as opposed to the offside rule. Is it always a foul if the ball strikes the hand? Not necessarily.

Was his foot in front of the line? Absolutely. Was it egregious? Not at all. If they applied that strict standard throughout the shootout I have little doubt both keepers would have been sent off, maybe their replacements too

OgtheDim
11-22-2020, 05:13 PM
The last 2005 era MLS type forward is being a mighty pest to SKC today. Gosh you hate him when he plays you but there is something very retro about a small forward with so little speed, a gigantic shirt and who specialises in scoring goals within the 6 yard box.

That and man v man SJE in the playoffs is very MLS playoff chaos.

Smokecell
11-22-2020, 05:22 PM
Interesting note on the Fox Sports broadcast today. Alan Chapman and the crew from ORLvNYC will play no part in the rest of the MLS Cup Playoffs as result of the shitshow that was the PK shootout.

Yohan
11-22-2020, 06:20 PM
Wondo hits the post, then SKC scores a winner in injury time.

Not boring

tfcfans
11-22-2020, 06:22 PM
Wow WONDO !!!!

ag futbol
11-22-2020, 06:23 PM
I would field Wondo at age 75 with a hip replacement if there were 5 minutes left in the game and I needed a goal. That guy just pulls miracles out of nothing

PizzaEatingYeti
11-22-2020, 06:25 PM
I don't care for neither of these teams, but I need to say this is utter BS... I mean how many minutes was going to add the referee? He waited until SJ equalized.
Another observation: defences are still shockingly bad in MLS!

NK Toronto
11-22-2020, 06:30 PM
I don't understand why the ref extended the match so long. If I were a KC fan I would be furious with the referee. KC got screwed.

OgtheDim
11-22-2020, 06:33 PM
https://twitter.com/jeffrueter/status/1330655154069266441

NK Toronto
11-22-2020, 06:35 PM
I would field Wondo at age 75 with a hip replacement if there were 5 minutes left in the game and I needed a goal. That guy just pulls miracles out of nothing

The fact that he is the all time leading MLS scorer speaks to the poor calibre of play in MLS 10 years ago. He would be hard pressed to play in the English 3rd division.

OgtheDim
11-22-2020, 06:39 PM
I don't understand why the ref extended the match so long. If I were a KC fan I would be furious with the referee. KC got screwed.

2 minutes plus of goal celebration + a LOOOONG goal kick

Doyle tweeted those two things alone were longer then the time between the end of the announced aet & Wondo's goal.

OgtheDim
11-22-2020, 06:41 PM
The fact that he is the all time leading MLS scorer speaks to the poor calibre of play in MLS 10 years ago. He would be hard pressed to play in the English 3rd division.

10 years ago English 1st Div (real 3rd div) had a ton of Wondo types - game has changed

ag futbol
11-22-2020, 06:50 PM
Meh. He’s a poacher. Nothing flashy and looks below average other than when he’s bumbling a ball into the net. But... everybody values that.

Don’t think it’s particularly an indictment on MLS per say.

NK Toronto
11-22-2020, 06:50 PM
10 years ago English 1st Div (real 3rd div) had a ton of Wondo types - game has changed

My point was when I think of the best players to have played in MLS he isn't on my list. The only thing he has going for him is longevity. The fact that he is the league's all time scorer should be an embarrassment to MLS.

ag futbol
11-22-2020, 07:05 PM
My point was when I think of the best players to have played in MLS he isn't on my list. The only thing he has going for him is longevity. The fact that he is the league's all time scorer should be an embarrassment to MLS.
Well, I think sort of hits on the nuance of leagues lower down the food chain across the world.

Even Brazil, Fred is the 4th leading scorer in Brasileiro history and he’s one of the worst strikers I’ve ever seen them field at the national team level.

Sometimes it’s a matter of circumstance rather than just outright skill.

NK Toronto
11-22-2020, 07:13 PM
Delighted to see San Jose eliminated. They are coached by Matias Almeyda who coached Chivas when they beat us in CCL. That loss still stings.

PizzaEatingYeti
11-22-2020, 07:19 PM
5 games so far in these playoffs, and all 5 hosts went through to the next round.
Do you guys think it's just coincidence?

Need to add that all were "real" hosts, playing in their real home stadiums, not like TFC will do.

rydermike
11-22-2020, 07:24 PM
Officiating crew from the Orlando-NYC game will not ref any other games in the playoffs
https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/11/22/officiating-crew-orlando-city-sc-new-york-city-fc-round-one-match-wont-work-another

OgtheDim
11-22-2020, 08:04 PM
Rapids Bench might be familiar

Clint Irwin

Drew Moor

Steven Beitsahour

Collen Warner

Nicolas Benezet

& 4 other guys not connected to TFC

NK Toronto
11-22-2020, 08:11 PM
And Robin Fraser

MikeForbes
11-22-2020, 08:52 PM
Benezet now on for the Rapids.

ag futbol
11-22-2020, 09:32 PM
Respect to all our TFC alumni but Colorado has no business being in the playoffs.

PaceyWinger
11-23-2020, 09:24 AM
Interesting note on the Fox Sports broadcast today. Alan Chapman and the crew from ORLvNYC will play no part in the rest of the MLS Cup Playoffs as result of the shitshow that was the PK shootout.

Its hilarious because they were singing his praises until about the 75th minute on the broadcast.

ag futbol
11-23-2020, 11:30 AM
Its hilarious because they were singing his praises until about the 75th minute on the broadcast.
Yes, the broadcast teams covering this league seem to have issue expressing an independent opinion. We all know that was a crappy outing but Moreno and Twellman offer little more than mealy mouth responses where they seem to acknowledge how wrong things went but can’t help but try and let the league off the hook in some small way.

Let’s just say what it was: a debacle and embarrassment for the league.

Canary10
11-23-2020, 12:40 PM
Summary of the penalty shootout shenanigans and referee errors:
I say watch the video before reading this. It's well worth the 20 minute watch

Orlando goalkeeper makes save to win the game, however, Penalty called back by VAR for keeper not having one foot on the line.
Correct call by rules (VAR made this call, not Allan Chapman and the linesman, but harsh and I wouldn't call it)

Referee gives keeper a yellow (which is his second yellow of the game)
Incorrect call by rules - first offense is a Verbal Warning. Second offense is a yellow. Warning was never given.

Referee initially allows Orlando to make a substitution for a new goalkeeper during the penalty shootout.
Incorrect, but later corrected and substitution reversed. (Never should have happened, so I label this as an error, since VAR were the ones to correct it not Chapman)

Sean Johnson makes save on Nani. Johnson's right foot advanced, but he maintained his left foot on the line.
Correct call (keeper needs one foot on the line as of 2019-20)

Schlegel makes save on the first penalty of the second round of sudden death. Score still 5-5. Referee blows whistle three times to indicate game over.
Obviously incorrect. Still a tie and he called the game over. VAR had to tell him game was not over.

All in all, a horrendous showing by Allan Chapman and the officiating crew (since they were all involved, especially the 4th official with allowing the substitution). VAR had to correct him multiple times

Wow I just watched it. How can you mess up penalties as a referee? LOL!

burlington Red
11-23-2020, 01:48 PM
just watched that on youtube, what a shitshow, if that was in a movie about football you'd describe it as far fetched.The commentators on the link I watched, were nearly as bad as the ref, they kept showing the NY keeper save and said his foot is over the line, yes only one foot has to stay on the line, they didn't seem to fathom that and kept saying the save would be overturned.

PaceyWinger
11-23-2020, 03:28 PM
All these matches being settled by penalties.. as a TFC fan the last reminder we needed was that you don't want to let it get there. Worst way to lose. I'd rather give up a counter attack goal in extra time knowing we were pushing to end than see some team fluke into a win like that again.

MikeForbes
11-23-2020, 04:49 PM
I feel a bit more confident going into penalties with Pozuelo, Piatti, Mullinho and Westberg on the team. I still would be paralyzed in fear though from past trauma.

Auzzy
11-23-2020, 06:36 PM
I feel a bit more confident going into penalties with Pozuelo, Piatti, Mullinho and Westberg on the team. I still would be paralyzed in fear though from past trauma.

Let's get a couple of disguises and masks for Pozuelo, and he takes all 5 penalty kicks.

OgtheDim
11-23-2020, 07:10 PM
As long as they don't hang him back for the 5th kick, like SJE did to Wondo & Orlando did to Nani.

You want Poz on #1 - set the tone.

NK Toronto
11-23-2020, 07:52 PM

Why Mullins? Is he a prolific penalty taker?

NK Toronto
11-23-2020, 07:54 PM
Let's get a couple of disguises and masks for Pozuelo, and he takes all 5 penalty kicks.

I think the opposition would catch on after the third Panenka.

MikeForbes
11-23-2020, 09:11 PM
Why Mullins? Is he a prolific penalty taker?

100% success rate for his career!

OgtheDim
11-23-2020, 09:43 PM
Watched the Dallas v Portland PK's & the SKC vs SJE PK's.

Apart from Tim Melia being very adept at figuring out footing, the biggest difference between teams doing well in PK's & teams not is placement of the ball.

Guys I don't want anywhere near a PK?

Bradley, Delgado, Mavinga, Endoh

Guys I do want there

Mullins, Akinola, Jozy, Poz, Osorio, Piatti, DeLeon

Unlikely to have the first 3 because they are unlikely to finish a 120 minute game together.

OgtheDim
11-24-2020, 10:03 PM
No double for Philly this season

ag futbol
11-24-2020, 10:08 PM
I was skeptical Tajon Buchanan was going to amount to much in this league but has this kid ever turned up the heat.

He’s going to be a real force if he can clean up his play in the box a bit.

OgtheDim
11-24-2020, 10:14 PM
Minnesota hosting NER is going to be not worth watching...

OgtheDim
11-29-2020, 03:34 PM
Minnesota hosting NER is going to be not worth watching...

Still on track

Heck, I think its going to be

Nashville @ NER

&

Dallas @ Minnesota

NK Toronto
11-29-2020, 07:36 PM
3 out of the top 4 seeds in the East already eliminated. This one and done play off system is garbage. Why even bother trying during the regular season? The moment your team is eliminated from the shield you might as well just start resting players.

tfcfans
11-29-2020, 08:52 PM
Nashville doing the same thing to Columbus that they did to us - could very well be NE@Nash for the Eastern Conference Final - just as everyone predicted......

OgtheDim
11-29-2020, 09:30 PM
If a boring team wins this year, I suspect the Shield will become even more important, & the team who finishes first in the East & West during the season will get a new trophy created just for that occasion.

4 games & you win "the" star just doesn't feel right.

tfcfans
11-29-2020, 10:11 PM
Columbus finally breaks through.....would prefer not to watch Nashville drag every game to extra time....at least if Columbus can win, they could prevent Seattle from potentially hosting MLS Cup again....now it’s 2-0....Amazing how much the game opens up all of a sudden once Columbus went ahead, so much more entertaining to watch.....

MikeForbes
11-29-2020, 10:13 PM
Columbus is through.

ag futbol
11-29-2020, 10:20 PM
Am I missing something on this Zardes goal? I paused my TV at the moment the ball is released and he’s a full body length offside. Not even close...

And yet, no VAR, it stands?

NK Toronto
11-29-2020, 10:56 PM
If a boring team wins this year, I suspect the Shield will become even more important, & the team who finishes first in the East & West during the season will get a new trophy created just for that occasion.

4 games & you win "the" star just doesn't feel right.

I think this is the first thing you and I agree upon.

NK Toronto
11-29-2020, 11:03 PM
So glad that Columbus won. Nashville has replaced Atlanta as my most hated MLS team.

613reppingTFC
11-30-2020, 09:44 AM
Am I missing something on this Zardes goal? I paused my TV at the moment the ball is released and he’s a full body length offside. Not even close...

And yet, no VAR, it stands?

I saw this too and was wondering the same thing. If you paused it during the live play the angle was coming from the right side of the field and he looks way offside. If you went back and paused during the replay (the camera angle is coming from the left side of the field) and when the ball is kicked he was still onside at least as far as i could see from the lines on the field. Camera angles are pretty deceiving if they are not straight on

ag futbol
11-30-2020, 11:43 AM
I saw this too and was wondering the same thing. If you paused it during the live play the angle was coming from the right side of the field and he looks way offside. If you went back and paused during the replay (the camera angle is coming from the left side of the field) and when the ball is kicked he was still onside at least as far as i could see from the lines on the field. Camera angles are pretty deceiving if they are not straight on
Fair enough. Supposedly the defender on Nashville’s left side kept him on. Nobody protested after-the-fact which sort of suggests they knew it was a good goal.

PizzaEatingYeti
11-30-2020, 12:25 PM
3 out of the top 4 seeds in the East already eliminated. This one and done play off system is garbage. Why even bother trying during the regular season? The moment your team is eliminated from the shield you might as well just start resting players.

Yes, it's utter garbage.
It's hard enough to swallow that the most important thing a team can win over a full season is considered based on a cup style tournament, where the form over those 2-3 weeks weighs a lot more than all what a team has done over 6-7 months, but those eliminiation games being single games? That's too much to stomach...

TFC1986
11-30-2020, 02:03 PM
I like the one and done format. Makes the playoffs that much more better. Players giving there all every second there on the field. Gives the smaller team with less spending an outsider chance or as some might call it, a Cinderella story.

stevep
12-02-2020, 07:04 PM
I like the one and done format. Makes the playoffs that much more better. Players giving there all every second there on the field. Gives the smaller team with less spending an outsider chance or as some might call it, a Cinderella story.

I was thinking about this today. I have come to the conclusion that one and done is no good. The two game playoff is much better
One and done is too random. Anything can happen in one game.

Also, the supporters shield is a meaningless trophy
You can be the best team but if your star players are injured or off half the time on international duty you are by default are playing your second string

We all know what happens to tfc if second string players start

DinamoTFC
12-02-2020, 10:38 PM
Home and away playoffs are better with more drama and excitement and build up. One and done I agree is too random and diminishes everything before it.

Blindside16
12-03-2020, 04:54 AM
I can see the league going back to a 2 leg playoff one day but it will not happen before the 2023 season. The needed to get the playoffs out of the way as early as possible seeing as Qatar 2022 starts on the 21st of November

tfcfans
12-03-2020, 09:17 PM
Shall we just give Seattle the trophy now? Unbelievable (!) --- I'm now waiting for NE to upset Columbus on Sunday, so that Seattle can host MLS Cup again, and win it at home against the team that never wins in the end, NER......

ag futbol
12-03-2020, 09:48 PM
So my options for Western Conference winner is down to a team that’s been in the league four years or Seattle. Kill me now

Red CB Toronto
12-03-2020, 10:31 PM
Shall we just give Seattle the trophy now? Unbelievable (!) --- I'm now waiting for NE to upset Columbus on Sunday, so that Seattle can host MLS Cup again, and win it at home against the team that never wins in the end, NER......
With the Reds out, a Columbus Sounders Final would have some strong TFC ties, Bez and one of all-time favourites regardless of the team he still plays for Super Stefan Frei.

tfcfans
12-04-2020, 06:37 AM
Met Frei a few times and have a really nice Black/Blue Goalie Jersey signed in Silver Sharpie from him which I love — he’s such a nice guy and even when Seattle won that first time, thanks to him, it was hard to be “angry” at Frei (I was quite upset at the overall result of course!); but I think I’ve seen enough of Seattle winning MLS Cup at this point....

CBTFC
12-04-2020, 08:16 AM
That Reynoso guy on Minnesota is fantastic, he lit it up last night. Pretty much been on fire since he arrived in the league a few months ago.

I'm calling NER vs Minnesota in the Cup Final next Saturday. Much easier to take than Seattle vs Columbus.

OgtheDim
12-06-2020, 05:03 PM
Columbus hosts the MLS Cup this year

tfcfans
12-06-2020, 05:05 PM
^At least it's better than being at Seattle again....

Bushmancan
12-07-2020, 11:11 PM
Minnesota 1 v Seattle 0 54th minute, Seattle just had a goal call back on VAR. Fast but sloppy game.

Bushmancan
12-07-2020, 11:22 PM
Set pieces killing Seattle tonight 2-0 Minnesota, Frei is looking human.

benito
12-07-2020, 11:26 PM
Set pieces killing Seattle tonight 2-0 Minnesota, Frei is looking human.

that second goal came quickly off of Seattle hitting the post. A couple of inches and the game would be different.

MikeForbes
12-07-2020, 11:29 PM
2-1 now.

Bushmancan
12-07-2020, 11:36 PM
2-1 now.

Crazy tackle on the edge of the Minnesota penalty area both guys writhing in pain to try to change the game. Caldwell would have called it a penalty on us.

benito
12-07-2020, 11:37 PM
Crazy tackle on the edge of the Minnesota penalty area both guys writhing in pain to try to change the game. Caldwell would have called it a penalty on us.

that looked like a PK to me. The defender didn’t touch the ball at all. Very reckless and fortunate it wasn’t called.

Bushmancan
12-07-2020, 11:39 PM
that looked like a PK to me. The defender didn’t touch the ball at all. Very reckless and fortunate it wasn’t called.

Oh, I agree. I just miss picking on Caldwell.

MikeForbes
12-07-2020, 11:39 PM

Gasper, the Minnesota fullback involved in that is awful. Very lucky to get away with that.

Bushmancan
12-07-2020, 11:44 PM
Crazy ... give Seattle credit, they are digging deep. To be honest, it is frenetic but fun to watch

MikeForbes
12-07-2020, 11:45 PM
And Seattle ties it up. Ruidiaz is always in the right place at the right time.

portu
12-07-2020, 11:45 PM
Honestly Seattle from 2014 to now is exactly what we’d want to be in an ideal world.

benito
12-07-2020, 11:46 PM
I think Seattle wins this game now. Momentum is on their side.

portu
12-07-2020, 11:47 PM
Seattle 2016 to 2020 is the greatest MLS dynasty of all time if they win MLS Cup this year.

MikeForbes
12-07-2020, 11:47 PM
Minnesota getting absolutely shelled here.

MikeForbes
12-07-2020, 11:48 PM
And they just won it. That was insane.

benito
And there it is. Wow.

Bushmancan
Seattle 2016 to 2020 is the greatest MLS dynasty of all time if they win MLS Cup this year.

Well they are on their way.... just fun to watch. Minnesota panic and Seattle has pace and pressure. Down 2-0 at the 73rd minute. Win in the 93rd.

tfcfans
12-07-2020, 11:49 PM
Unbelievable.....I’m not even surprised....

tfcfans
12-07-2020, 11:50 PM
No chance Columbus wins is there? We’ve seen this movie before.....

MikeForbes
12-07-2020, 11:51 PM
No way Seattle loses Saturday night. I have so much respect for that franchise. They just go out there and win.

portu
12-07-2020, 11:53 PM
I really can never hate Seattle. They just win. And they win playing aggressive, attractive, gritty football. I would trade their roster and front office for ours in a heartbeat. Their performances since 2015 are proof that RSL’s successful run was more to do with Lagerwey than Manning/Kreis.

Yohan
12-07-2020, 11:53 PM
For those of you don't like the single game playoff format, well, if you're a great team, you're clutch.

TFC, no clutch. Seattle, clutch.

benito
12-08-2020, 12:02 AM
Seattle held up their end of the bargain. Their 4th final in the last 5 years. Too bad tfc couldn’t do the same.

Auzzy
12-08-2020, 12:03 AM
Argh Seattle again. A good friend of mine is MUFC fan, I was rooting for them, but of course he admits Seattle was the better team.

I know it's shocking, but with Bez, Pat Onstad, Corey Wray, Jordan Hamilton and Josh Williams in Columbus, maybe I'll hope for them to win... That's a tough one.

Bushmancan
12-08-2020, 12:04 AM
I really can never hate Seattle. They just win. And they win playing aggressive, attractive, gritty football. I would trade their roster and front office for ours in a heartbeat. Their performances since 2015 are proof that RSL’s successful run was more to do with Lagerwey than Manning/Kreis.

Good insight on that one, forgot they were both at RSL. I would still say 2016 & 2017 we were much better and should have won more. But spot on for the full run. That team tonight looked hungry and like champions. I think Columbus is better than we think, hopefully it should be a great game.

Red CB Toronto
12-08-2020, 12:15 AM
"Super" Stefan Frei, have always loved what he brought to the table since day 1.

CBTFC
12-08-2020, 06:56 AM
I was literally yelling out "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!" full on Taylor Twellman style the moment Seattle made it 2-1. You could almost sense it coming every second after that.

Ugh. I'm really trying the whole "respect seattle for what they are" angle, but I just really dislike them. Ugh.

This is the least appetizing MLS Cup Final as a TFC supporter "neutral", lol.

OgtheDim
12-08-2020, 06:57 AM
For those of you don't like the single game playoff format, well, if you're a great team, you're clutch.

TFC clutch 3 out of 5 years - better then any other team not named Seattle. In a parity league, I'll take it.

As for the Loons, that's the sort of loss that can scar a team for years - see Montreal.

ag futbol
12-08-2020, 09:08 AM
This will be tremendously unfair, but I look with seething discontent that Seattle has Ruidiaz and Morris as threats up top while we’ve spent years face planting in our attempts to sign a wide forward or just anyone that would could act as a secondary goal scoring threat to receive the ball from our #10. Come on front office, do better.

We should also wise up to the fact Seattle doesn’t seem to give a single damn about the regular season and just seems to focus on peaking at the right time going into the playoffs.

Let’s play this league for what it is, not what we dream it be. Nobody remembers who the supporters shield winner is a few years after the fact.

I would argue our 2017 run is still the best of all time but perhaps the price of trying to dominate everything is you really only get a shot once every few years, while you can clearly peak late and make a run every season.

RealG-TFC
12-08-2020, 09:22 AM
We shouldn't sell ourselves too short, we were a Marky Delgado tap-in away from legendary status.

reggie
12-08-2020, 01:03 PM
we outplayed them in 2 finals and half of the third final and then they get a fluke goal,we should have at least 2 mls cups.give them credit ,there 3 dps are great

portu
12-08-2020, 01:24 PM
TFC clutch 3 out of 5 years - better then any other team not named Seattle. In a parity league, I'll take it.

As for the Loons, that's the sort of loss that can scar a team for years - see Montreal.
Last time I checked we only had 1 MLS cup

NK Toronto
12-08-2020, 08:58 PM
This will be tremendously unfair, but I look with seething discontent that Seattle has Ruidiaz and Morris as threats up top while we’ve spent years face planting in our attempts to sign a wide forward or just anyone that would could act as a secondary goal scoring threat to receive the ball from our #10. Come on front office, do better.

We should also wise up to the fact Seattle doesn’t seem to give a single damn about the regular season and just seems to focus on peaking at the right time going into the playoffs.

Let’s play this league for what it is, not what we dream it be. Nobody remembers who the supporters shield winner is a few years after the fact.

I would argue our 2017 run is still the best of all time but perhaps the price of trying to dominate everything is you really only get a shot once every few years, while you can clearly peak late and make a run every season.

I would argue that what makes 2017 so special was the fact we won the treble. Although MLS Cup is the 1st prize, the Shield is a close 2nd. I wouldn't just dismiss it especially in a stupid one and done playoff format.

NK Toronto
12-08-2020, 08:59 PM
Last time I checked we only had 1 MLS cup

Maybe if we had Schmetzer as coach we would have achieved more.

OgtheDim
12-08-2020, 10:13 PM
Maybe if we had Schmetzer as coach we would have achieved more.

Schmetzer is a good coach but that team has been better constructed since inception & has the institutional memory of a constant winner.

ag futbol
12-08-2020, 10:27 PM
I would argue that what makes 2017 so special was the fact we won the treble. Although MLS Cup is the 1st prize, the Shield is a close 2nd. I wouldn't just dismiss it especially in a stupid one and done playoff format.
I hear you. With the quality of the team we had tin 2017, going for everything just made sense. But conversely, did we burn them out and ruin 2018? I think we would of wanted CCL regardless but theoretically, if everyone was rested and we weren’t in CCL, do we go back to back?

In a season like the one we just finished with the roster we have I think it was clear we couldn’t have it all. We tried to, but it didn’t work out on either front.

Honestly I’m surprised people aren’t more up in arms about how minutes were managed. I thought it was horrific. Osorio and Delgado were corpses out there but we still wouldn’t rotate. We paid for that.

I challenge anyone to look at Phily and say they’re the real winner this season. Clearly, they are not.

Auzzy
12-08-2020, 11:09 PM
I hear you. With the quality of the team we had tin 2017, going for everything just made sense. But conversely, did we burn them out and ruin 2018? I think we would of wanted CCL regardless but theoretically, if everyone was rested and we weren’t in CCL, do we go back to back?

In a season like the one we just finished with the roster we have I think it was clear we couldn’t have it all. We tried to, but it didn’t work out on either front.

Honestly I’m surprised people aren’t more up in arms about how minutes were managed. I thought it was horrific. Osorio and Delgado were corpses out there but we still wouldn’t rotate. We paid for that.

I challenge anyone to look at Phily and say they’re the real winner this season. Clearly, they are not.

I thought Osorio, Delgado, Pozuelo and Piatti were all overplayed, considering how many midfielders we have overall. Pozuelo was pretty dead in our playoff game.

OgtheDim
12-09-2020, 06:45 AM
I thought Osorio, Delgado, Pozuelo and Piatti were all overplayed, considering how many midfielders we have overall. Pozuelo was pretty dead in our playoff game.

Poz admitted he was injured for the last 3 games or so.

NK Toronto
12-09-2020, 07:36 AM

I don't think anyone is saying they are, however at least they have a consolation prize. A trophy that they can display to show they were the best at some type of competition. If given a choice between a Shield with an early play-off exit, or no Shield and a loss in the MLS Cup final, I would choose the Shield. A loss in a cup final is no consolation. I don't view our making it to 4 cup finals as proof of our success but instead look at our 25% winning percentage as evidence of a team that can't win in clutch situations.

ag futbol
12-09-2020, 10:48 AM
I don't think anyone is saying they are, however at least they have a consolation prize. A trophy that they can display to show they were the best at some type of competition. If given a choice between a Shield with an early play-off exit, or no Shield and a loss in the MLS Cup final, I would choose the Shield. A loss in a cup final is no consolation. I don't view our making it to 4 cup finals as proof of our success but instead look at our 25% winning percentage as evidence of a team that can't win in clutch situations.
No argument there. Certainly the supporters shield has value.

stevep
12-09-2020, 02:46 PM

To me it was obvious TFC did not try in their game