PDA

View Full Version : Not looking good on the Dickov front

UltraSuperMegaMo
08-05-2008, 11:56 PM
The Sun:

PAUL DICKOV, 35, was last night in talks with Milan Mandaric over a shock return to Leicester.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article1519633.ece

Ossington Mental Youth
08-06-2008, 12:11 AM
Not surprised.
Was hardly excited that he was coming in the first place.
If anything im a bit disappointed at the prospect of not having the striker we need...
Mo did us well enough at the start of the year so really theres no reason to lose faith in him now...

dantdot
08-06-2008, 12:16 AM
It's not happening, lets move on.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/blogs/2008/08/05/dobson_carver_speaks/

What about a new signing coach? No news, which, of course, is bad news. The Paul Dickov chase appears to be over. Even the rumour mill is drying up.

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-06-2008, 12:33 AM
Take the Sun with a grain of salt, even more than you would the Toronto one. ;)

Dickov would've been okay as something temporary I guess, but I'd prefer a proven finisher. Dickov's goalscoring record isn't anything spectacular, anyway...

Corpand
08-06-2008, 12:53 AM
Well this would explain Carver's shitty mood today at the practice.

Moving on.

Cashcleaner
08-06-2008, 02:36 AM
Saw this coming a mile away. And to be honest, I was never blown away by the prospect to begin with. I'm actually fairly confident Carver and Mo have thrown their hands up for future signings for the 2008 and are going to spend their energies on someone to come in for '09

Canadian Blue
08-06-2008, 05:02 AM
Just another link showing Leicester City hope to sign Dickov...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/leicester_city/7544529.stm

Stryker
08-06-2008, 09:19 AM
I am so sick of Paul Dickov and his fence sitting.
Fuck em. I don't ever wanna hear the name again.

Roogsy
08-06-2008, 09:35 AM
I am so sick of Paul Dickov and his fence sitting.
Fuck em. I don't ever wanna hear the name again.

Agreed. Mo should cut losses and spend his energies elsewhere.

bangersandmash
08-06-2008, 09:43 AM
How is it that Dallas can lose a Toja on a Saturday and sign Sikora on a Monday and TFC can't sign anyone in 3 months?! I maintain hope, but the speed with which Dallas filled a hole drove me to drink.

Roogsy
08-06-2008, 09:44 AM
^I asked myself the same question.

Other teams seem to be able to sign quite quickly...then again, they aren't looking in England. Most of these signings come from South America, which I would like to point out (once again) we have not signed anyone (other than Amado but that really is a unique case since he really is an MLS player who happened to be playing in Central America for a year and had already played under Mo).

rocker
08-06-2008, 09:52 AM
is sikora any good tho?

just signing a guy quickly means nothing. I remember in the off season Chicago signed Frankowski and everyone here was saying "come on Mo, they signed a striker so easily.. how come we can't?" and now Frankowski has only 2 goals in 13 games.

I don't know anything about Sikora but he's listed as a striker but has 3 goals in 46 games for his last team.

tfcleeds
08-06-2008, 09:54 AM
Even San Jose, a freakin' expansion team, have been way more active on the transaction front. It's enough to make you want to cry.

Nuvinho
08-06-2008, 09:54 AM
is sikora any good tho?

just signing a guy quickly means nothing. I remember in the off season Chicago signed Frankowski and everyone here was saying "come on Mo, they signed a striker so easily.. how come we can't?" and now Frankowski has only 2 goals in 13 games.

I don't know anything about Sikora but he's listed as a striker but has 3 goals in 46 games for his last team.

Sikora is a Dutch international, he had a promising career for the Oranje, but his career seemed to go downhill once he went to Ajax.

Roogsy
08-06-2008, 09:56 AM
just signing a guy quickly means nothing.

True...but it usually means the team has been following these players for some time and when a spot opened up, they moved in quickly.

While I am not wanting Mo to rush into anything, we also don't want him taking his time.

bangersandmash
08-06-2008, 10:04 AM
is sikora any good tho?

just signing a guy quickly means nothing.

Agreed, absolutely. Not just anyone can do the job. What struck me was that Dallas lost a key component of their offence and didn't break a sweat. They may still be working behind the scenes to bring in a better replacement, but they've got a guy in there doing the work.

CoachGT
08-06-2008, 10:05 AM
Time to cut bait with Dickov. He's just using the offer received from TFC to shop himself around in the UK. He really doesn't want to come here, here wants to stay in England. Good luck to ya and don't let the door hit you on the way out.......

Nuvinho
08-06-2008, 10:07 AM
Mo should put an imposed deadline on him, like Thursday 5pm, or the offer is off the table.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-06-2008, 10:12 AM
When is the deadline on the transfer market?

TFC Cityboy
08-06-2008, 10:13 AM
reports today say Dickov will be signing at Leicester today
http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sports-news/Dickov-WILL-join-Leicester.4361380.jp (http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sports-news/Dickov-WILL-join-Leicester.4361380.jp)

Nuvinho
08-06-2008, 10:13 AM
When is the deadline on the transfer market?

August 15th

Ossington Mental Youth
08-06-2008, 10:15 AM
August 15th

yeah, thats what i thought until i read Sept 15 today.
Some more of that June/July deadline ish again...

invictusTFC
08-06-2008, 10:41 AM
If Dickov is the only real serious lead Mo has had, then this team is doomed at the striker position. This problem has persisted for months now and had led to a serious decline in this team's play, and as was evident in their last few games a serious decline in their confidence in each other as teammates. It is frustrating to watch as a fan. There is one week left in the transfer window (not much wiggle room at all). This team is now below 500 and with each passing game is watching their playoff hopes slip from their grasp.

CanuckPete
08-06-2008, 10:50 AM
I thought that Sept. 15 was the MLS trade deadline.

rocker
08-06-2008, 10:56 AM
Aug 15 is the transfer window deadline.... Sept 15 is the trade deadline between MLS teams.

Roogsy
08-06-2008, 10:59 AM
Then we need to bite the bullet and overpay for a competent striker.

Just as an example (I know he already said he is not coming) but Sukur was looking for 4 mill for a season right? Prorated it would be 2 mill (or less now) for the rest of this season. Offer him 3mill for the rest of this season and see what he says?

He'd push us into the playoffs on his will alone.

Chevy
08-06-2008, 11:02 AM
If Dickov is the only real serious lead Mo has had, then this team is doomed at the striker position. This problem has persisted for months now and had led to a serious decline in this team's play, and as was evident in their last few games a serious decline in their confidence in each other as teammates. It is frustrating to watch as a fan. There is one week left in the transfer window (not much wiggle room at all). This team is now below 500 and with each passing game is watching their playoff hopes slip from their grasp.

I think they will get that Simpson guy in for the remainder of the season (not that it would help that much) and then shell out some $$ for Gerba.

arsenal
08-06-2008, 11:14 AM
How is it that Dallas can lose a Toja on a Saturday and sign Sikora on a Monday and TFC can't sign anyone in 3 months?! I maintain hope, but the speed with which Dallas filled a hole drove me to drink.

Dallas did not just phone up Sikora the next day and sign him. He was on trial with them for 3 weeks before he was signed. Probably waiting for the allocation $ from the transfer to sign him.

http://worldcupway.blogspot.com/2008/07/from-holland-to-frisco.html

bangersandmash
08-06-2008, 11:31 AM
Dallas did not just phone up Sikora the next day and sign him. He was on trial with them for 3 weeks before he was signed.

Thanks Arsenal, that makes me feel a bit better about the situation. (there's no sarcasm there, I do feel better knowing that Sikora didn't just jump on a plane screaming "wheee, I get to play for the Hoops (US edition)" while we're foaming at the mouth over every rumour.)

Ossington Mental Youth
08-06-2008, 11:32 AM
Then we need to bite the bullet and overpay for a competent striker.

Just as an example (I know he already said he is not coming) but Sukur was looking for 4 mill for a season right? Prorated it would be 2 mill (or less now) for the rest of this season. Offer him 3mill for the rest of this season and see what he says?

He'd push us into the playoffs on his will alone.

Prob is that it was all speculation and rumor.
He prob never wanted to come here and money might not be the issue so much as having available targets...

Roogsy
08-06-2008, 11:33 AM
Prob is that it was all speculation and rumor.
He prob never wanted to come here and money might not be the issue so much as having available targets...

I know...I am just using him as an example.

We are going to have to overpay a mercenary to come here. Plain and simple. Because we are not the most desireable place for players to come and play for various reasons. MLS, Turf, New Franchise...whatever.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-06-2008, 11:40 AM
Yep, at this point in the season i dont have any prob what so ever with getting/over paying an effective gun for hire

gtaguy
08-06-2008, 11:44 AM
why must we always look over to the old continent to sign players... Footy is played in just about every part of this goddamn world .. why not look elsewhere .. Some young and experienced striker from south america, central america would love the chance to prove himself here in the mls in the hopes he gets seen by european clubs...

bangersandmash
08-06-2008, 11:45 AM
Screw it, let's offer Christine Sinclair the chance to be our striker. You could argue she's too short, too light but she bagged 93 goals in 122 appearances for Canada.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-06-2008, 11:47 AM
why must we always look over to the old continent to sign players... Footy is played in just about every part of this goddamn world .. why not look elsewhere .. Some young and experienced striker from south america, central america would love the chance to prove himself here in the mls in the hopes he gets seen by european clubs...

If it were only that easy.
it also drives me crazy that NYRB are scouting 3 costa rican u-20s and we are looking at Dickov who doesnt want to sign.
Please pull out a surprise MO, you did so well at the start of the season

reggie
08-06-2008, 12:55 PM
fuck him and move on.....

invictusTFC
08-06-2008, 12:59 PM
fuck him and move on.....

QFT

Mo's been putting all his eggs in one basket...

ua-kozak_TFC
08-06-2008, 01:08 PM
If it were only that easy.
it also drives me crazy that NYRB are scouting 3 costa rican u-20s and we are looking at Dickov who doesnt want to sign.
Please pull out a surprise MO, you did so well at the start of the season
Buddy are you kidding me??? He did fuck all at the start of the season and we only got players almost 2 month after we started the season.... you think that is good??
:taz:

Ossington Mental Youth
08-06-2008, 01:10 PM
Christ, the quality of the players were high and made an immediate impact.
Dude, im not interested in getting into some sort of discussion about how you rank Mo or Carver or anything MLSE.

Dirk Diggler
08-06-2008, 03:29 PM
Thank god. You'd think he's Cristiano Ronaldo or something the way he wasted so much of our time. It looks like the Brett Favre situation will be resolved in a shorter period of time than this clown.

And yeah, it really is quite amazing how other teams manage to get their transactions done in less than a week where as it takes us 3 months just to get the guy to sign elsewhere. The quality of the signings is irrelevant. Seriously, Dickov hasn't been setting the CCC on fire or anything.

Dirk Diggler
08-06-2008, 03:31 PM

We are going to have to overpay a mercenary to come here. Plain and simple. Because we are not the most desireable place for players to come and play for various reasons. MLS, Turf, New Franchise...whatever.

Toronto is plenty desirable. Seriously, outside of New York and Los Angeles (and possibly Chicago) even the most ignorant of football players would choose Toronto over most other cities.

arbogast
08-06-2008, 03:35 PM
Toronto is plenty desirable. Seriously, outside of New York and Los Angeles (and possibly Chicago) even the most ignorant of football players would choose Toronto over most other cities.

I disagree. I think the overall perception is that Toronto and Canada is still a footballing backwater.

Dirk Diggler
08-06-2008, 03:39 PM
I disagree. I think the overall perception is that Toronto and Canada is still a footballing backwater.

If the players are coming to play in the MLS, do you think they care about that the city is a footballing backwater? All they care for is a paycheque.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-06-2008, 03:42 PM
Youd be surprised.
Paycheques are hardly worth it anyways, why have crap pay AND be in the middle of nowhere...

Dirk Diggler
08-06-2008, 04:09 PM
The middle of nowhere? A person would have to be utterly illiterate and be ignorant of the highest level to believe that Toronto is in the middle of nowhere. Maybe in the 60's it was considered the middle of nowhere in terms of international cities. Also, I hardly think that Dickov stayed in the city for several days, came to watch a TFC match and concluded that Toronto was in the middle of nowhere and didn't care about football. The problems we face in attracting players is the same that every team in the MLS faces (aside from LA and maybe NY). Yet Dallas, New England, and heck even Columbus don't seem to have a problem in signing foreign players in a reasonable amount of time.

profit89
08-06-2008, 04:15 PM
Central and South America is where Mo has to look... That's where the Juan Toja's are... Young and extremely talented. Same with the Gambians in New England.

Mo has to realize this is a feeder league.. Need to find young talented stars of tomorrow. I'll take the two Gambians over Dickov any day.

MFG1
08-06-2008, 04:17 PM
Sept 15 may be the MLS transfer window closure, and maybe its me, but dont ya think its a bit late to wait till sept 14 to pull the trigger when they season could end a month later for most teams?

Give up on dickov and move on to the next rumor.

profit89
08-06-2008, 04:21 PM
Sept 15 may be the MLS transfer window closure, and maybe its me, but dont ya think its a bit late to wait till sept 14 to pull the trigger when they season could end a month later for most teams?

Give up on dickov and move on to the next rumor.

Aug. 15 is the transfer window deadline...

From the Regulations...

An MLS player may be transferred or loaned at any time to a team outside the League. The registration windows - the dates between which MLS may request the transfer certificate of an international player are as follows:

January 15 - April 15 (Primary Window)
June 15 - August 15 (Secondary Window)

profit89
08-06-2008, 04:22 PM
next friday is the deadline

Ossington Mental Youth
08-06-2008, 04:26 PM
The middle of nowhere? A person would have to be utterly illiterate and be ignorant of the highest level to believe that Toronto is in the middle of nowhere. Maybe in the 60's it was considered the middle of nowhere in terms of international cities. Also, I hardly think that Dickov stayed in the city for several days, came to watch a TFC match and concluded that Toronto was in the middle of nowhere and didn't care about football. The problems we face in attracting players is the same that every team in the MLS faces (aside from LA and maybe NY). Yet Dallas, New England, and heck even Columbus don't seem to have a problem in signing foreign players in a reasonable amount of time.

Dude i love this city and this country but take a look at Ricketts alone, his dudes in England still refer to Canada as America. The fact of the matter is we will always be dwarfed by the image that the states has, its a fact. The majority of people dont know anything about Canada, let alone Toronto. Ive spoken to a ton of Americans and youd be amazed how little they know about their neighbour above, how can we expect the same from some footie player from an impoverished south/central american or african country.

MFG1
08-06-2008, 04:28 PM
Aug. 15 is the transfer window deadline...

From the Regulations...

An MLS player may be transferred or loaned at any time to a team outside the League. The registration windows - the dates between which MLS may request the transfer certificate of an international player are as follows:

January 15 - April 15 (Primary Window)
June 15 - August 15 (Secondary Window)

Thats what I thought,(August 15 not sept15, it was just posted up on this thread) my point is and still applies, then it doesnt make much sense even to pull the trigger next thursday or wait until then, excuses or not,considering our situation along with Cunningham stil in the F***ing line up

ben_vw
08-06-2008, 04:33 PM
Central and South America is where Mo has to look... That's where the Juan Toja's are... Young and extremely talented. Same with the Gambians in New England.

Mo has to realize this is a feeder league.. Need to find young talented stars of tomorrow. I'll take the two Gambians over Dickov any day.

gambia is in africa...

rocktml
08-06-2008, 04:35 PM
Well time to move on......Gerba~!

profit89
08-06-2008, 04:38 PM
gambia is in africa...

yeah i know

Dirk Diggler
08-06-2008, 04:39 PM
Dude i love this city and this country but take a look at Ricketts alone, his dudes in England still refer to Canada as America. The fact of the matter is we will always be dwarfed by the image that the states has, its a fact. The majority of people dont know anything about Canada, let alone Toronto. Ive spoken to a ton of Americans and youd be amazed how little they know about their neighbour above, how can we expect the same from some footie player from an impoverished south/central american or african country.

So if some ignorant people think Toronto is in America, why is that a disadvantage? All the other teams are in America in reality. My problem isn't what people wrongly perceive Toronto to be on the international stage. My problem is that we seem to be the only team in the MLS that has a hard time attracting foreign players. If people are willing to come to the MLS, I have a hard time imagining those people saying no to Toronto because they think its worse off than Dallas, Boston or Columbus.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-06-2008, 04:44 PM
Fucked if I know.
Could be we are using the wrong bait?
Barking up the wrong trees?

jloome
08-06-2008, 04:54 PM
OMY, that's not really the case. I grew up in the third world (Libya and Angola) and also lived in Greece and England. Canada has an enormous and respected foreign profile; we're seen as non-ignorant, quieter Americans.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-06-2008, 04:57 PM
I guess it can be from person to person (like anything else).
I just think that sometimes we over state our importance in worldview (especially in the Footie worldview) in this forum

Draracle
08-06-2008, 04:59 PM
Very upsetting. Not that I was excited about Dickov, but I would like Mo to land someone. That being said, just when we thought it was too late in the spring he hit us with a series of good signings.

Dirk Diggler
08-06-2008, 07:33 PM
OMY, that's not really the case. I grew up in the third world (Libya and Angola) and also lived in Greece and England. Canada has an enormous and respected foreign profile; we're seen as non-ignorant, quieter Americans.

Exactly. I have many colleagues and relatives in the UK, Europe and Asia. None of them think that Canada is some sort of a backward country. Most people have a fairly accurate image of Toronto at the very least.

jloome
08-06-2008, 07:44 PM
Exactly. I have many colleagues and relatives in the UK, Europe and Asia. None of them think that Canada is some sort of a backward country. Most people have a fairly accurate image of Toronto at the very least.

But you do have to admit we have a pretty sedate, pleasant image, which is hardly what a professional footballer would reconcile with rabid support, despite our press.

Dirk Diggler
08-06-2008, 07:59 PM
But you do have to admit we have a pretty sedate, pleasant image, which is hardly what a professional footballer would reconcile with rabid support, despite our press.

There's no doubt about that. In terms of football, Canada IS perceived to be a backwater (and rightfully so). But then again, so is the rest of North America so we're not at a disadvantage.

Cashcleaner
08-07-2008, 06:13 AM

That's exactly what we have to do. It sucks, but the fact remains that most foreign players wouldn't even consider playing in Toronto if they had possible work in New York, LA, Chicago, DC, or any other large Armerican city. I'm sorry, but as proud as I am of my home; I'm not deluded enough to think that we are anywhere near the international stature shared by any of the aforementioned cities. Our nationality in addition to other issues such as the turf makes Toronto a less-than-stellar option for most European or South American players.

To convince a top-quality player to come to Toronto, MLSE is gonna have to dig deeper in their pockets than other teams would probably have to.

Of course, the best solution in my mind is to convince the best of our home-grown players (ie: De Ro) to come back to Canada and play here.

flatpicker
08-07-2008, 06:16 AM
DeeeeROOOOO!!!!!