PDA

View Full Version : Regular Season Phase 2 Game 3 - Columbus "@" TFC - Sunday 7:30pm - Why Don't We

OgtheDim
09-24-2020, 06:32 AM
Why don't we make believe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upr4WFsnXWk

Have at It People

OgtheDim
09-24-2020, 11:28 AM
Game 4?

Covid moment :crazy:

Derko
09-24-2020, 12:02 PM
The team must step up and play like Champions, not a Sunday pub league team, play like you mean it and be ruthless, said it know come on TFC :scarf:

613reppingTFC
09-27-2020, 08:21 AM
It's game day!! COYR!!

Red CB Toronto
09-27-2020, 10:54 PM
Big win for the Reds, just came to the boards, boy it looks like this thread died pretty quickly.

oranje boven
09-27-2020, 10:58 PM
Seemed to be a log in issue.... what an outstanding second half. Full marks to the entire team. Not exactly sure what change(s) was made for the second half. Worked today and fell asleep around 36mins and luckily woke up for the second.

Red CB Toronto
09-27-2020, 11:02 PM
I am so happy that Reds were able to get their own field and not face what the Whitecaps are in playing in Portland, where they really are the visitor tonight against the Timbers.

OgtheDim
09-27-2020, 11:06 PM
"effin team effin works" showed up in the second half.

Vanney outcoached Porter.

All 3 DPs worked their butts off.

Vanney with the interesting psychological point that the guys spent the first half reacting to the last play and they needed to calm down & reset & focus on the current play. He hinted about that after the DCU game.

NK Toronto
09-27-2020, 11:21 PM
It seemed like the site was down. Anyway that was the best half of football they played all season, and against a quality opponent. Even Jozy was playing hard. Where has this type of performance been all year?

Red CB Toronto
09-27-2020, 11:23 PM
What a flashback, if anyone is not familiar after each TFC goal tonight they played the old Whalers Brass Bonanza song. Gotta Love It ( :

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=whalers+brass+bonanza

Bushmancan
09-27-2020, 11:48 PM
Such a great 2nd half, Richie was a beast but a complete team game. Big enough to say Vanney got the team focused in the second half, also loved that we kept at them and didn’t sit back. We are too good of a team to put three in the back and let them come at us. Need to keep pushing hard like tonight... next up Philly!

Auzzy
09-28-2020, 12:17 AM
Yup the reason for the quiet game thread is that the boards were down earlier. LOL at least we missed out on bitching at each other & the team during the first half. That was awful. Pozuelo & almost everyone else looked gassed. Everything was pretty aimless. And Mavinga, despite his general awesomeness, is painfully one-footed: tries to do everything with his left foot even when it makes zero sense.

What a turnaround for the 2nd half! Amazing. I've often complained that Vanney can't seem to turn things around in-game, even after halftime. But boy was i wrong about that tonight! And happy to be wrong!

And yes great that TFC kept pushing and controlling as much as they could. Didn't try to sit back and absorb just because they were up by one or two.

GerMc
09-28-2020, 12:49 AM
So who was that team that showed up in the second half of the game tonight? I would love to have them back for our next game

Yohan
09-28-2020, 04:57 AM
Richie Laryea for PM.

He thinks he's Messi or something. MoM

OgtheDim
09-28-2020, 06:22 AM
Things we missed in this thread yesterday (not necessarily me, just what would likely have been predicted to have happened)

Since when did MLS hire Battle of Britain fighter pilots as referees?
Nice save Q
Uh, there's a fan soundtrack & it just played Dichio?
Oooo that was close
Good game so far but they are starting to take it to us a bit too much for my liking
UGH
Yeah, not great decision making by Mavinga but man Westberg, you have to call for that one and why no pressure on the ball in?
Well that was pathetic
Sub Jozy at the half
Vanney needs to....
Can't string any passes together
Ball movement is slow
Well at least the pitch looks alright
No changes?
GET IN
Richie with the great moves
Wait a second, was that the Hartford Whalers theme song?
We are bossing them like we have not bossed anybody in years
Did you lot see Piatti do a hulk beast man congrats move at Jozy there tracking back & getting stuck in
POZ!!!!!
sweet strike but great move by Richie to find that
They have no answer and look shell shocked
Don't hold back for the win now - go for it
Not sure what Vanney told them at the half but the midfield looks so darn smooth
Are they really playing the Viking Clap on the fan soundtrack?
They can't get a hold of the ball
RICHIE IS GOD
I thought Messi was still playing for Barca
Now, don't screw this up
4 subs at once - that's a hockey line change
Great game boys - tale of two halves

benito
09-28-2020, 06:57 AM
That was an amazing half of soccer. TFC played so well and it was a pleasure to watch. They hustled, won back lost balls and attacked relentlessly. Let’s see that effort for the rest of the season.

MightyDM
09-28-2020, 06:57 AM
Great summary OG. Too bad the boards were down, I wanted to discuss the game with someone! They were superb in the second half. The Columbus players and coach looked shell shocked.

On their goal, Q should have had that. Similar in a way to the DC tying goal. What happened to “KEEP - ER” - it’s a basic skill to call for it.

Poz was really poor in the first half. Looked dead in his feet. Not sure what they gave him at half time but it worked.

Bushmancan
09-28-2020, 07:48 AM
Nice one OG.

I would have added, the refs letting them mug Piatti. 1st half

Did you see Poz basically run around the field with 3 Crew chasing him... too funny. 2nd half.

btw... anyone know the exact formation we ran in the 2nd half. I know we had Lareya on the overlap, Piatti shifted back to the right, Akinola to the left but it seamed so fluid couldn't quite make it out. Was that it?

ManUtd4ever
09-28-2020, 08:33 AM
That second half was an absolute pleasure to watch.

Initial B
09-28-2020, 08:54 AM
I had settled down to watch the game, but then realized that TSN2 wasn't on my cable package anymore. :(
Couldn't TSN have put it on TSN3, 4, or 5?
I did get to watch the highlights, and you could really feel that Columbus had the run of play in the first half, and Laryea was a beast in the second half. It was a great result I didn't expect.

jabbronies
09-28-2020, 09:07 AM
I had settled down to watch the game, but then realized that TSN2 wasn't on my cable package anymore. :(
Couldn't TSN have put it on TSN3, 4, or 5?
I did get to watch the highlights, and you could really feel that Columbus had the run of play in the first half, and Laryea was a beast in the second half. It was a great result I didn't expect.

If you have cable, you should be able to use your account login to access TSN.ca live streams
You may be able to get TSN 2 that way.

reggie
09-28-2020, 09:12 AM
how long before euro starts calling for Richie?

ag futbol
09-28-2020, 09:31 AM
It seemed like the site was down. Anyway that was the best half of football they played all season, and against a quality opponent. Even Jozy was playing hard. Where has this type of performance been all year?
I want to know what the hell Vanney said at halftime. Man-o-man they came out hot.

Amazing game by Laryea. I think it’s obvious (if it wasn’t already before) Laryea starts and you worry about where Morrow or Auro can play after.

That said, to me he looks almost as good on the left as he does on the right, so there’s flexibility.

CBTFC
09-28-2020, 10:23 AM
I was trying the site/board on and off for the evening, both on mobile and desktop (two completely different O/S and browsers, and wasn't working. Glad to see it back online!

Really tight and technical first half, we were all even and the Mavinga OG was unfortunate. Any CB does that same play at 99% of the time the ball deflects out of bounds. It is what it is, not "his" mistake at all.

And as others have mentioned, dang what a second half. Everyone was dialed in. I'll be watching Richie's goal on repeat for days

Toronhartford till I die

MightyDM
09-28-2020, 11:40 AM
Nice one OG.

I would have added, the refs letting them mug Piatti. 1st half

Did you see Poz basically run around the field with 3 Crew chasing him... too funny. 2nd half.

btw... anyone know the exact formation we ran in the 2nd half. I know we had Lareya on the overlap, Piatti shifted back to the right, Akinola to the left but it seamed so fluid couldn't quite make it out. Was that it?

What I saw was 4-4-1-1

MikeForbes
09-28-2020, 11:49 AM

I was thinking that last night.

MightyDM
09-28-2020, 12:01 PM
I was trying the site/board on and off for the evening, both on mobile and desktop (two completely different O/S and browsers, and wasn't working. Glad to see it back online!

Really tight and technical first half, we were all even and the Mavinga OG was unfortunate. Any CB does that same play at 99% of the time the ball deflects out of bounds. It is what it is, not "his" mistake at all.

And as others have mentioned, dang what a second half. Everyone was dialed in. I'll be watching Richie's goal on repeat for days

Toronhartford till I die

hahahahaha

TFC1154ever
09-28-2020, 01:30 PM

Year or 2. If Osorio was getting interest from bundesliga clubs at 27, Laryea at 25 will be getting the same, if not more attention.

If I’m Herdman, I build Canada around Davies and Laryea at wingback, and let the test slot in where the may. Both are game changers.

tfcfans
09-28-2020, 02:04 PM
OG with a great summary - kept trying to log in and share the joy of that second half with some people who could really appreciate how well they were playing (3 great goals including an all-timer by Lareya - all against a team that had given up 5 goals in 13 games or so!)....for those of us around since the beginning, those type of games (real dominance in the regular season against a top opponent - not a “start the car” steal of a game), outside of the 2017 season seem few and far between - the part that makes us so frustrated with this team is that they have the ability to play like this more often; as much as there are some issues that we have in this squad - Altidore playing 75% of the available minutes in a season would be nice, some more stability and depth in the back (no more Zavs/Ciman combo ever again please!), come to mind - we can truly be great if we play the way we are capable of (we have the “highest ceiling” in my opinion) - let’s be frank, they could have (should have) won in 2016, and last year had we been healthy we had a decent shot as well after two gutsy road wins in NY and Atl. Look at how other top teams have fared after losing their key scoring DP, it’s hard to replace a 20+ point (goals?!) player in this league.....

I think we will always see our own faults as greater than our opponents faults as we are examining our team much more closely than following most other teams in this league - we aren’t perfect by any stretch - no team is - but this is a mature team that plays with a lot of guts on most nights and save for the exhaustion/injuries (post CCL) of May 2018 - October 2018; this team (and Seattle) has been as good as any in terms of producing without a full squad over the last 4-5 years....

An hour or so of joyful viewing last night in the second half seems so different than the usual panic of how we are going to give up a goal in the last 15 minutes to blow a lead somehow (why aren’t we being more aggressive?! - ha ha ha).....

A healthy TFC will be a beast to deal with in the playoffs - let’s hope 2016/2017 gets mirrored in 2019/2020 and redemption will be ours once again....

DinamoTFC
09-28-2020, 02:32 PM

Refreshing to finally see! First game all season, in my opinion, that they played with passion and heart. Columbus took it to us in the first half and contributed to it being an excellent, exciting game.

Prof
09-30-2020, 02:10 PM
Going into the game Pozuelo had 5 goals and 8 assists. He scored one and assisted one but team and MLS stats have not changed. Does anyone know why?

Fort York Redcoat
03-06-2022, 06:59 PM
I have to necro this thread. there are some great takes and memories here.

But really I just saw that with this result we went ahead of Columbus by a goal all time in this manufactured rivalry.