PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Championship Final: TFC vs Forge (Date TBD/Time TBD/Tim Hortons Field)

rydermike
09-19-2020, 04:12 PM
Date: TBD
Time: TBD

Forge has former TFC players Molham Babouli and Kyle Bekker on their roster

Red CB Toronto
09-19-2020, 04:21 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EiTZ0-ZWoAA0BlH?format=jpg&name=large

James17930
09-19-2020, 06:20 PM
Play it in Hartford as soon as realistically possible.

Waiting until Dec or Jan is completely unfair to Forge.

OgtheDim
09-19-2020, 06:34 PM
Manning indicated this week this won't happen until after TFC's season is over.

James17930
09-19-2020, 06:36 PM
Manning indicated this week this won't happen until after TFC's season is over.

I know. But I disagree. I think they should play it as soon as possible.

NK Toronto
09-19-2020, 09:43 PM
They need to play it as soon as possible as it is our only chance to win a trophy in 2020.

andre99
09-20-2020, 06:36 AM
So... I guess there's less than 0% chance that we will be able to watch this live :( I was really looking forward to the first time TFC and Forge would meet. Still excited, of course, but would've been sweet to be there in person

Voodooman
09-20-2020, 08:39 AM
I am still a bit befuddled how the CSA didn't arrange a Finals date....

Initial B
09-20-2020, 08:52 AM
Play it in Hartford as soon as realistically possible.

Waiting until Dec or Jan is completely unfair to Forge.
Shouldn't Forge be playing CONCACAF League matches between now and then? They shouldn't be too rusty.

OgtheDim
09-20-2020, 09:02 AM
Shouldn't Forge be playing CONCACAF League matches between now and then? They shouldn't be too rusty.

Travel restrictions within CONCACAF have postponed competitions through until at least November, likely into 2021. I get the strong suspicion that the 2020 CCL isn't going to finish & the 2021 is going to take place about a year from now & be a larger tourney.

Ah, heck, lets be honest here - can anybody seriously see a vaccine available widely across the region before the summer of 2021? :(

Joe Kool
09-21-2020, 11:44 AM
I don't watch CPL almost at all but I watched the finals on the weekend. I recorded it and wasn't watching real time and I got fairly bored in the first half and fast forwarded to the end to see who won. Pretty big drop off in level from MLS to CPL if these were the best teams. TFC should be able to take the game fairly easily if they don't take it too lightly.

James17930
09-22-2020, 01:17 AM
Seems like they're going ahead with the CONCACAF league, so Forge is still going to be playing for (conceivably) the next few months.

In this context, playing the Champ. Final in Dec or Jan is fine.

BC Place, anyone? That would be preferable to the Big O.

Joe Kool
09-22-2020, 08:04 AM
Seems like they're going ahead with the CONCACAF league, so Forge is still going to be playing for (conceivably) the next few months.

In this context, playing the Champ. Final in Dec or Jan is fine.

BC Place, anyone? That would be preferable to the Big O.

Manning says they will push for BMO. Not like they never played a final in Dec at BMO before....

But I guess giving a home advantage to any team is not the fair way to go.

jabbronies
09-22-2020, 08:26 AM
Manning says they will push for BMO. Not like they never played a final in Dec at BMO before....

But I guess giving a home advantage to any team is not the fair way to go.

If there are no fans what's the point of having it at BMO? Aside from familiarity with the pitch, is there really a home field advantage?

If the CSA had any balls they would do it a neutral ground that isn't -16 degree. Would be best for both teams IMO - although...turf...but other than that I'd go with BC place

jabbronies
09-22-2020, 02:06 PM
If there are no fans what's the point of having it at BMO? Aside from familiarity with the pitch, is there really a home field advantage?

If the CSA had any balls they would do it a neutral ground that isn't -16 degree. Would be best for both teams IMO - although...turf...but other than that I'd go with BC place

i take back my comment - for some reason I was thinking Forge was Halifax based - it is not - so flying out to BC makes no sense.

But I still think playing in December/January outdoors is crazy and i still think neutral ground is best.

nfitz
09-22-2020, 04:47 PM
Travel restrictions within CONCACAF have postponed competitions through until at least November, likely into 2021.When did that change? Looks like the October games are still on track.

James17930
09-23-2020, 10:33 PM
i take back my comment - for some reason I was thinking Forge was Halifax based - it is not - so flying out to BC makes no sense.

But I still think playing in December/January outdoors is crazy and i still think neutral ground is best.

But the only other option then is Olympic Stadium, right? (Unless they literally play it under a bubble at the training ground). The turf there is way worse than BC Place.

jabbronies
09-24-2020, 02:14 PM
But the only other option then is Olympic Stadium, right? (Unless they literally play it under a bubble at the training ground). The turf there is way worse than BC Place.

Playing at BMO or Timmie's are the cheapest options. We've seen TFC play in ungodly conditions before. So I'm sure that's what'll happen.

It would just be nice to see the players not affected by the weather and playing at their best.

James17930
09-24-2020, 06:53 PM
Playing at BMO or Timmie's are the cheapest options. We've seen TFC play in ungodly conditions before. So I'm sure that's what'll happen.

It would just be nice to see the players not affected by the weather and playing at their best.

Sure, I know we've seen it before – but as you say, it's pretty much always been a bad idea.

I would hope saner heads prevail here.

PizzaEatingYeti
09-25-2020, 07:11 AM

That would be the best sollution by far and the most cost effective.
Or to have it on a neutral ground, anywhere close to Toronto and Hamilton, where there is a legal size footy field with good natural pitch, inclosed in some kind of hangar.
Is there something like that in the whole province of Ontario, except the TFC training bubble?

I mean if there are not allowed spectators anyways, why should it be played in any kind of "traditional" stadium?

James17930
09-25-2020, 09:33 PM
Or to have it on a neutral ground, anywhere close to Toronto and Hamilton, where there is a legal size footy field with good natural pitch, inclosed in some kind of hangar.
Is there something like that in the whole province of Ontario, except the TFC training bubble?

I mean if there are not allowed spectators anyways, why should it be played in any kind of "traditional" stadium?

Depends on if they can fit cameras inside at decent angles. Since it's going to be a purely televised experience, it has to be watchable.

OgtheDim
09-26-2020, 09:40 AM
The TFC training bubble is turf. As is Ivor Wynne II.

NK Toronto
09-26-2020, 11:16 PM

Yes, the Ontario Soccer Centre on Martingrove in Woodbrige is an indoor facility in a permanent structure building. It is regularly used by the Woodbridge Strikers S.C. It is beside the outdoor field where TFC II used to play.

Fort York Redcoat
10-24-2020, 04:52 PM
Glad for the CONCACAF league match to keep Forge playing to keep them match fit.

Initial B
10-24-2020, 06:52 PM
Glad for the CONCACAF league match to keep Forge playing to keep them match fit.
And that final goal that moved Forge onto the next phase of the competition was sweet. Now if they can get past Tauro next round they'll start accumulating points to move towards higher seeding. TFC had better not take them lightly as Forge can put together some quality moments.

hulkrogan
10-26-2020, 04:05 PM
I don't watch CPL almost at all but I watched the finals on the weekend. I recorded it and wasn't watching real time and I got fairly bored in the first half and fast forwarded to the end to see who won. Pretty big drop off in level from MLS to CPL if these were the best teams. TFC should be able to take the game fairly easily if they don't take it too lightly.

While there is a big drop in level between the leagues (unless you're the Whitecaps) that final was not a good indication of the typical entertainment value. IMO Cavalry vs. Whitecaps and Cavalry vs. The Impact last year was a better view of what the league can be.

noxx98
11-04-2020, 10:58 AM
Forge won their round of 16 game last night in CONCACAF League. They're on to the quarter finals and appear to be the favourites. If they win their QF matchup, Forge secure a spot in the Champions League. Would be great to have Forge and TFC in Champions League next year.

James17930
11-05-2020, 09:46 AM
Forge won their round of 16 game last night in CONCACAF League. They're on to the quarter finals and appear to be the favourites. If they win their QF matchup, Forge secure a spot in the Champions League. Would be great to have Forge and TFC in Champions League next year.

I thought only the winner of the CL got a spot in the CCL ...?

Redpunkfiddle
11-05-2020, 10:09 AM
I thought only the winner of the CL got a spot in the CCL ...?

They changed the CL format last year- added more teams, and gave 6 teams (finalists, losing semi finalists, 2best losing QFinalists) berths in the CCL.

Basically, they removed all the Central American leagues automatic berths to CCL and put them through CL. Expanded competition with more teams with a shot at winning the trophy before getting a chance in CCL

Initial B
11-05-2020, 10:15 AM
They changed it last year and dropped all the the Concacaf countries not named Canada, USA and Mexico to play in the CL first, with the exception of the Caribbean Club Cup Champion (probably because they wouldn't have been able to make the change without their voting block). This opened up a bunch 6 spots to win entry into the CCL. So any team that makes it to the CL semi-finals is guaranteed a spot, followed by the two winners of a playoff between the quarterfinal losing teams.

<edit: ninja'd!>

Redpunkfiddle
11-05-2020, 01:02 PM
They changed it last year and dropped all the the Concacaf countries not named Canada, USA and Mexico to play in the CL first, with the exception of the Caribbean Club Cup Champion (probably because they wouldn't have been able to make the change without their voting block). This opened up a bunch 6 spots to win entry into the CCL. So any team that makes it to the CL semi-finals is guaranteed a spot, followed by the two winners of a playoff between the quarterfinal losing teams.

<edit: ninja'd!>

I miss it too, man. :)

James17930
11-05-2020, 06:35 PM
Ah, I see. Interesting. Thanks.

Blindside16
11-06-2020, 01:13 AM
So am I safe to assume that if Forge win their next game that we will also automatically qualify as well since Forge would already be occupying a spot when the Canadian Championship final kicks off?

James17930
11-06-2020, 05:14 AM
So am I safe to assume that if Forge win their next game that we will also automatically qualify as well since Forge would already be occupying a spot when the Canadian Championship final kicks off?

Good point - hadn't thought of that.

noxx98
11-06-2020, 06:46 AM
It's unclear if we would be guaranteed the spot. If Forge were to win the Canadian Championship, they would occupy the CAN1 spot in CCL (which is the higher seed). I could imagine the CAN2 spot either goes to TFC or the next best CPL team (as only CPL teams are eligible for Concacaf League in the CAN2 spot).

I think it should be us who takes the spot, but there is no clear process established.

OgtheDim
11-06-2020, 06:49 AM
No clear process means whatever CONCACAF decides is in their best interest.

I think we be in then

That having been said, Forge gotta beat a Haitian team in a one off - not something Canadian teams have traditionally been good at.

James17930
11-06-2020, 08:23 AM
Is the game in Haiti?

rydermike
11-06-2020, 08:37 AM
Is the game in Haiti?

Yes. All Forge games will be away, since home field is determined by the last five year's of performance and Canada is only in their second year in the tournament, so we have 4 years of 0s.

rydermike
11-06-2020, 05:18 PM
Forge's QF game in the Concacaf League is December 1st

Blindside16
11-09-2020, 05:51 AM
No clear process means whatever CONCACAF decides is in their best interest.

I think we be in then

That having been said, Forge gotta beat a Haitian team in a one off - not something Canadian teams have traditionally been good at.

Even if they lose Forge will have a second shot at qualification as the 4 quarterfinal losers will playoff in a 1 game knock out with the winners advancing to the Champions league

Mike_S
11-09-2020, 03:21 PM
^^ True, but as it appears they will face the loser of Marathon-Saprissa in the "2nd chance game", I'm guessing they better take care of business in their next game.

noxx98
11-16-2020, 02:00 PM
According to some Twitter discussions, if Forge are able to win one of their next two League games, the Canadian Championship Final may be called off for this year. Would be disappointing if it isn't held, but understandable. Teams likely wouldn't be making any money off of it and finding a date will be challenging.

613reppingTFC
11-16-2020, 02:49 PM
so would they automatically give the CCL birth to TFC since Forge will get in if they win the next two...

rydermike
11-16-2020, 03:19 PM
They should just make it like the English Community Shield and uefa super cup, where it's a season opening one match cup game.

613reppingTFC
11-16-2020, 04:36 PM
teams would not be match fit but yes it would be an option

rydermike
11-16-2020, 04:42 PM
teams would not be match fit but yes it would be an option

It would be after pre-season, but right before the first game of the season. Happens worldwide like that, so shouldn't be an issue. No different than when we played Colorado in those Champions League games. Or perhaps it happens just after the start of our season since the CPL usually kicks off a bit later than the MLS.

rydermike
11-25-2020, 11:55 AM
Well at least we maybe have this game to look forward to.

Loyal
11-25-2020, 12:58 PM
Canada Soccer announced today the finals will be played in the first quarter of 2021 (January - March)

If played any earlier TFC would be using ONLY North American based players - no Euros

Red CB Toronto
11-25-2020, 01:26 PM
Canada Soccer announced today the finals will be played in the first quarter of 2021 (January - March)

If played any earlier TFC would be using ONLY North American based players - no Euros

The is great to hear, especially with some discussion being would it even be played if Forge had already qualified for the CCL.

https://canadasoccer.com/news/canadian-championship-final-forge-fc-to-face-toronto-fc-in-new-year/

Red CB Toronto
11-27-2020, 08:43 PM
Hot off the presses LOL

https://twitter.com/CPLWoodenSpoon/status/1332492957707096066
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/En33SIDWEAEQtoE?format=jpg&name=large

PaceyWinger
12-01-2020, 09:40 PM
At half that Forge already qualified scenario looked pretty good but what a gaffe by Henry who misplays a simple pass and gifts the Haitian team the equalizer. Forge look good but manoman its getting concacafy in here.

PaceyWinger
12-01-2020, 10:17 PM
Oh well at least Forge can now take the mantle of the Canadian team who lose the big game in a shootout.

Red CB Toronto
12-09-2020, 12:00 AM
So this match will now be for all the marbles, thus a spot in Champions League after Forge lost 1-0 to Marathon Tuesday night in the play-in match of the CONCACAF League QF losers. With it being meaningful now, wonder when it will get scheduled as the Reds will want to be at full strength.

noxx98
12-09-2020, 11:13 AM
Whenever it ends up getting played, TFC should be in a better spot. MLS will probably get started before the CPL, so TFC should hopefully have gone through training camp, whereas Forge may be a little bit behind. With David Edgar retiring from Forge their backline will also be without their stud.

I would have loved to have seen Forge in Champions League along with TFC, but TFC has to win this game.

Red CB Toronto
12-09-2020, 02:18 PM
Whenever it ends up getting played, TFC should be in a better spot. MLS will probably get started before the CPL, so TFC should hopefully have gone through training camp, whereas Forge may be a little bit behind. With David Edgar retiring from Forge their backline will also be without their stud.

I would have loved to have seen Forge in Champions League along with TFC, but TFC has to win this game.

Could easily see David Edgar pushing off retirement for a little bit. The Reds will being up and ready earlier in the year than Forge for sure.

Blindside16
12-21-2020, 12:59 AM
Another interesting twist will be that this will be most likely the first match for the new head coach. Nothing like having a cup game as your debut.

rydermike
12-30-2020, 08:23 AM
I guess this could be delayed further or cancelled altogether with the potential lockout

Kamp Berg
01-15-2021, 02:45 PM
https://twitter.com/24thminute/status/1350161683940073472?s=21

OgtheDim
01-15-2021, 10:25 PM
The push was because CCL was supposed to start next month - which made no sense given everything going on right now.

Get the strong feeling the MLS season won't start until April.

Red CB Toronto
01-16-2021, 09:53 AM
The push was because CCL was supposed to start next month - which made no sense given everything going on right now.

Get the strong feeling the MLS season won't start until April.

A May start to the MLS season would not even surprising me at this point. Can see many owners wanting to wait and see, especially if they can not have any fans in the stands in any real numbers. We also have the CBA uncertainty looming over things. Lots to figure out in my eyes to making a 2021 season viable.

Oldtimer
01-16-2021, 04:09 PM
So for Armas this is a must win. If he loses this one to a CPL club, #armasout will be trending in a major way.

DavemTFC
01-17-2021, 08:32 AM
In fairness a game against a CPL team should always be a must-win for an MLS team even though upsets can and already did - see Van-Cal in 2019 - happen

James17930
01-18-2021, 05:58 PM
They really should have played this game last year. Now who knows when/where they're going to be able to do it. I honestly think it should just be at BC Place ASAP so they don't have to worry about weather.

ensco
01-18-2021, 06:24 PM
They really should have played this game last year. Now who knows when/where they're going to be able to do it. I honestly think it should just be at BC Place ASAP so they don't have to worry about weather.

So Hamilton should have flown to Hartford? The nub of the issue is that games with no fans and no TV audience lose a lot of money. Who is paying for that?

James17930
01-20-2021, 03:00 AM
So Hamilton should have flown to Hartford? The nub of the issue is that games with no fans and no TV audience lose a lot of money. Who is paying for that?

Yeah, they should have played it in Hartford. They could have put it on TSN. I assume it would have drawn at least 100k viewers. Get some sponsorship. Would've been better than nothing.

Blindside16
01-20-2021, 05:43 AM
Yeah, they should have played it in Hartford. They could have put it on TSN. I assume it would have drawn at least 100k viewers. Get some sponsorship. Would've been better than nothing.

I may be wrong but I think One Soccer owns the broadcast rights for the Canadian Championship

James17930
01-20-2021, 10:56 AM
I may be wrong but I think One Soccer owns the broadcast rights for the Canadian Championship

Yes, but they could have shared it like they did the Island Games with CBC.

ensco
01-20-2021, 12:06 PM
You know what I hate? I hate it when I walk into McDonald's and they won’t give me a free Big Mac.

I mean, why? They could. It’s nothing to them. Why won’t they do it?

Initial B
01-20-2021, 01:15 PM
They could just have it at the Indoor Soccer Centre in Vaughan where TFC2 used to play.

Rocket Robin
01-20-2021, 03:42 PM
They could just have it at the Indoor Soccer Centre in Vaughan where TFC2 used to play.

TFC 2 always used the outdoor field. http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports17/17tfc313.htm
The building on the left (north) of the field is the indoor facility.

NK Toronto
01-20-2021, 08:36 PM
Pros couldn't play a game at the indoor soccer centre as the ceiling is too low. I have attended many youth matches there and the play is stopped regularly when the ball hits the ceiling. The goalkeepers would only be able to make short passes or throw the ball to their teammates.

James17930
01-22-2021, 01:21 AM
You know what I hate? I hate it when I walk into McDonald's and they won’t give me a free Big Mac.

I mean, why? They could. It’s nothing to them. Why won’t they do it?

This doesn't make a lot of sense. Who said it would be for free?

They shared the Island Games with CBC, so obviously they were able to find some sort of financial arrangement that made sense for them. Why couldn't they do the same thing for the Can. Champ. final? Who says they should give away the rights for free?

ensco
01-22-2021, 07:28 AM
There is no advertising or sponsorship market for a Forge v TFC game that could remotely come close to the cost of putting that game on in 2020. If you don’t believe that, suit yourself.

Red CB Toronto
01-22-2021, 12:58 PM
There is no advertising or sponsorship market for a Forge v TFC game that could remotely come close to the cost of putting that game on in 2020. If you don’t believe that, suit yourself.

I have my doubts even in 2021. Unless you are say the Maple Leafs in this country or the NFL and to a less extent the NBA down south, getting back to pre-pandemic levels will be an uphill battle. Without fans in the stands to any significant level MLB has said things are not all that viable for playing, likely see a short season again. TFC moving forward, especially if they can not play in Toronto with fans in the stands til much later in the year or even 2022 will face some real issues. Re-engaging the fans/ticket buyer will be an interesting endeavour. How many companies have been able to walk away from their advertising/partnership obligations in the sports world due to the pandemic and choose to do so?

OgtheDim
01-22-2021, 02:17 PM
We have a deadline

https://www.concacafchampionsleague.com/en/article/2021-scotiabank-concacaf-champions-league-set-for-april-kickoff

rydermike
01-22-2021, 03:12 PM
We have a deadline

https://www.concacafchampionsleague.com/en/article/2021-scotiabank-concacaf-champions-league-set-for-april-kickoff

Not sure how easy this will be for them. Joe Biden announced yesterday that the US will be implementing the mandatory quarantine for visitors, like Canada has. So those match dates won't work for any matchup involving MLS teams, unless they're planning on both legs being in the US for the Round of 16 and QF.

ensco
01-22-2021, 05:33 PM
Draw straws I guess. Maybe we get an extra straw, maybe not.

Kamp Berg
01-22-2021, 06:07 PM
I can’t remember where I read or heard it, but the possibility of MLS teams forfeiting games because of the lack of an agreement or COVID restrictions may be a real possibility. Could be the Forge playing after all.

nfitz
01-28-2021, 08:03 PM
There is no advertising or sponsorship market for a Forge v TFC game that could remotely come close to the cost of putting that game on in 2020. If you don’t believe that, suit yourself.Or in 2021.

I assume that they'll just play it in a dome somewhere in the GTA.

Isn't there one up at the Toronto FC training ground?

Where is the Hamilton training ground?

MikeForbes
01-28-2021, 08:21 PM
The game should probably be played at BC Place. The travel costs might turn people off to that though.

ensco
01-28-2021, 09:55 PM
Or in 2021.

I assume that they'll just play it in a dome somewhere in the GTA.

Isn't there one up at the Toronto FC training ground?

Where is the Hamilton training ground?

They are going to have to draw straws, because there is no way to come close to paying for the cost of this game without a gate, so the only way it can happen is if they both happen to be in the GTA at the same time, which ain’t happening in the next three months.

OgtheDim
01-28-2021, 10:10 PM
They are going to have to draw straws, because there is no way to come close to paying for the cost of this game without a gate, so the only way it can happen is if they both happen to be in the GTA at the same time, which ain’t happening in the next three months.

Not sure why you think this won't happen. TFC has already said they want it at BMO. Both teams will be able to practice under current quarantine rules. A game without fans would be approved by the promise. This game is happening in March, most likely.

Red CB Toronto
01-28-2021, 10:49 PM
Not sure why you think this won't happen. TFC has already said they want it at BMO. Both teams will be able to practice under current quarantine rules. A game without fans would be approved by the promise. This game is happening in March, most likely.

How about selling 500 tickets under agreement with the various levels of government with a covid test done in the parking lot pre-game like they did with the Bills games. Could be a low key trial run for them, to see how they may be able to open things up more in the future.

When MTL had 250 fans in the stands for their 3 home games their tickets sold for an average of $70 using that auction bidding system. Could work here.

ensco
01-28-2021, 11:52 PM

Quarantine rules for players arriving from outside Canada won’t ease before March, they will have to spend their two weeks sequestered if they come here. Camp doesn’t make sense here anyway, it will be in Florida or wherever in US. Plus I think this “lockout” is pretty likely, owners will be pleased to avoid playing in empty stadiums while trying to bludgeon players into concessions.

Can’t see TFC being in Canada until summer earliest.

MikeForbes
01-29-2021, 12:08 AM
Can the game even be played if MLS players are locked out?

OgtheDim
01-29-2021, 07:00 AM
Quarantine rules for players arriving from outside Canada won’t ease before March, they will have to spend their two weeks sequestered if they come here. Camp doesn’t make sense here anyway, it will be in Florida or wherever in US. Plus I think this “lockout” is pretty likely, owners will be pleased to avoid playing in empty stadiums while trying to bludgeon players into concessions.

Can’t see TFC being in Canada until summer earliest.

Mavinga tweeted he is on his way here already. The two week quarantine period is being baked in.

I doubt the lockout happens - owners are pretty much getting what they want out of the negotiations - not sure they want to go nuclear over an increase of the opportunity for a limited free agency.

Kamp Berg
01-29-2021, 08:16 AM
Can the game even be played if MLS players are locked out?

I read somewhere that if a MLS team misses a game due to the lockout that the game is forfeited. Probably about the only chance the Forge has to qualify.

ensco
01-29-2021, 08:26 AM
Is anybody talking about where TFC will hold camp? Because I can’t see why it would be in Toronto given weather (they are really going to have camp 100% in a bubble?) and relative severity of general restrictions here.

Red CB Toronto
01-29-2021, 03:28 PM
Plus you have to factor in having to stay in a government controlled hotel for $2000 for at least 3 days. These measures are getting stricter and stricter. Can MLS really consider having a 3 team Canadian division to at least start the season, the first 12 games or so. Can not really see Toronto being holed up in a hotel for the season. Maybe things will change by summer.

Mavinga tweeted he is on his way here already. The two week quarantine period is being baked in.

I doubt the lockout happens - owners are pretty much getting what they want out of the negotiations - not sure they want to go nuclear over an increase of the opportunity for a limited free agency.

nfitz
01-29-2021, 08:08 PM
Can the game even be played if MLS players are locked out?Obviously not. But still weeks until camp starts, and they don't seem that far away from each other. They always settle, despite all the worrying by some.

Most players for both teams are in Canada already. I doubt they'll head to Florida until late this year, and then kick off the season with a US road trip - if they go at all.

Red CB Toronto
02-05-2021, 11:07 PM
With a new CBA tentatively agreed to by MLS and the players I would think the announcement for the date of the final vs Forge would not be too far off. As we know many players are have already or are making their way to Toronto.

James17930
02-08-2021, 12:51 AM
With a new CBA tentatively agreed to by MLS and the players I would think the announcement for the date of the final vs Forge would not be too far off. As we know many players are have already or are making their way to Toronto.

At this point maybe best to play it the weekend before MLS starts. That would give both teams time to prepare.

OgtheDim
02-10-2021, 07:44 PM
LOL

The winner gets a trip to play Club Leon of LigaMx.

MikeForbes
02-10-2021, 07:53 PM
You know what? I am now cool with just letting Forge represent Canada.

noimpactinmtl
02-10-2021, 08:20 PM
LOL

The winner gets a trip to play Club Leon of LigaMx.

Nothing like facing the champions of Liga MX to get #Armasout and #baldfraudarmas going.

noxx98
02-10-2021, 08:22 PM
Leon is sitting pretty far down in the standings right now, but they finished top 2 in the past four Liga MX half seasons.

Hoping we win against Forge, but lets not kill ourselves against Leon. Could be a good chance to get some youth players some minutes.

rydermike
02-10-2021, 11:59 PM
Leon is sitting pretty far down in the standings right now, but they finished top 2 in the past four Liga MX half seasons.

Hoping we win against Forge, but lets not kill ourselves against Leon. Could be a good chance to get some youth players some minutes.
Way too early in the season to say they're pretty far down. They've played 4 games (most have played 5) and they're 6 points behind first. They win their game in hand and they're only one win back of top of the table.

DavemTFC
02-11-2021, 12:19 AM
How would we (or Forge for that matter) even manage the CCL with travel restrictions? The round of 16 might be doable since it's before the season starts, but what happens if we make the quarters which would fall about a week into the MLS season?

nfitz
02-11-2021, 03:15 AM
How would we (or Forge for that matter) even manage the CCL with travel restrictions? The round of 16 might be doable since it's before the season starts, but what happens if we make the quarters which would fall about a week into the MLS season?Looks like the Canadian teams will be starting in the USA. So I'd assume they'd deal with it the same way the US MLS teams deal with it.

TFC1154ever
02-11-2021, 12:05 PM
https://twitter.com/plattoli/status/1359700167553937409?s=21

That’s as brutal as it gets for a draw.

Initial B
02-11-2021, 02:21 PM
https://twitter.com/plattoli/status/1359700167553937409?s=21

That’s as brutal as it gets for a draw.
That's completely untenable for the Canadian club. TFC is nowhere near as talented as they were in 2018. I would just give it to Hamilton at this point and let them get the experience (and the costs). Why does it seem we get shafted most years with the draw?

OgtheDim
02-11-2021, 02:36 PM
That's completely untenable for the Canadian club. TFC is nowhere near as talented as they were in 2018. I would just give it to Hamilton ...

I support a team, not a project.

Sorry, but NEVER give up on a trophy.

Lil'John
02-11-2021, 09:00 PM
I support a team, not a project.

Sorry, but NEVER give up on a trophy.

How can you say that??!! My best memories at BMO Field are those Champions League games against Mexican teams!!
Leon - bring it on! Go Poz and Richie and the rest! We can beat 'em!!

Oldtimer
02-15-2021, 06:44 PM
Why does it seem we get shafted most years with the draw?

The CSA and CONCACAF are backing the CPL, they are all in on that project. Despite the current higher level of play, MLS is an American league, so it doesn't meet their goals for Canada. That's all we need to know.

Initial B
02-16-2021, 03:53 PM
The CSA and CONCACAF are backing the CPL, they are all in on that project. Despite the current higher level of play, MLS is an American league, so it doesn't meet their goals for Canada. That's all we need to know.
Sorry I wasn't clear - I meant that *Canada* gets shafted with the draws most years. I think I can count on one hand years where Canadian Teams didn't start CCL against a Mexican Club. It applies to both CPL and Canadian MLS clubs. American clubs usually get a cakewalk the first round or two.

Kamp Berg
03-01-2021, 01:24 PM
Maybe March 20th:

https://twitter.com/beezersun/status/1366452545166716933?s=21

https://twitter.com/kristianjack/status/1366452566608007170?s=21

nfitz
03-01-2021, 03:23 PM
TFC are currently training at BMO ... is there a plan on when they are going south?

Where's Hamilton training? Can they play at their stadium this early?

Though I don't know if lockdown impacts this or not. Toronto was supposed to leave lockdown in a week - but as the cases haven't dropped since they extended it 2 more weeks, I don't see that being likely. Hamilton isn't in lockdown, but cases are increasing there.

rydermike
03-01-2021, 05:25 PM
Sorry I wasn't clear - I meant that *Canada* gets shafted with the draws most years. I think I can count on one hand years where Canadian Teams didn't start CCL against a Mexican Club. It applies to both CPL and Canadian MLS clubs. American clubs usually get a cakewalk the first round or two.

With the way it's set up its by ranking top 8 vs bottom 8 based on historical results. Top 8 is currently Canada, 4 US teams, and 3 Mexican teams. Bottom 8 is 1 Mexican (was the 4th USA before) and 7 others. In the four years that they've done this format, Canada got the low USA/Mexico twice in Round 1 (Rapids in 18 and Leon in 2021). So, technically we should get that super bottom 12.5% of the time, but we've gotten it 50% of the time, granted four years is a small sample.

Gringo Starr
03-01-2021, 07:26 PM
Bring on Cruz Azul so I can relive Mista's glorious contribution to the club

James17930
03-01-2021, 11:04 PM
The CSA does realize this game needs to be played before the first round of the CCL, right? And that the CCL begins in almost exactly 1 month, right? And that it would be nice for the teams to have a bit of notice to prepare for travel and all that stuff, right?

Right?

This is getting absurd. Apparently, Hamilton haven't even started training camp yet.

Kamp Berg
03-04-2021, 11:30 PM
Looks like the 20th is a lock:

https://twitter.com/kristianjack/status/1367673174456958976?s=21

PizzaEatingYeti
03-05-2021, 05:27 AM
As a TFC guy and Canadian footy supporter I say that Forge should contest this decision with everything they can throw at the CSA. If not solved there go to the next superior international board!

How is possible for a team to be supposed to be ready to play without having had a single training session yet before a season, and being announced 16 days prior to a competitive match, with major importance for the club?
They should request absolute minimum 3 weeks time span between the date they are announced about the match and the scheduled date, time span through which are fully allowed to train, from day 1.

Otherwise they shoud sabotage this whole competition, even at the cost at no Canadian team present in the 2021 edition of the CONCACAF Champs League.

EDIT:

As Rollins indicated, the teams knew about this date weeks ago

&

the inability of Forge to train is not the CSA or TFC's fault - that lies with the CPL/Forge either not asking the province for the same exemption MLS has or the province rejecting CPL/Forge's proposals.

I am retracting my post based on the above quote.

My initial post was 100% based just on what I read on Twitter where a few people (probably Forge fans?) seemed totally flabbersgasted, saying that Forge found out about this decision just on the day of the decision (plus they have not had a single training session yet).
So it seems they have no idea what they are talking about...

My bad, lol!

Smokecell
03-05-2021, 05:59 AM
^^ highly recommend retracting your post

OgtheDim
03-05-2021, 09:11 AM
As Rollins indicated, the teams knew about this date weeks ago

&

the inability of Forge to train is not the CSA or TFC's fault - that lies with the CPL/Forge either not asking the province for the same exemption MLS has or the province rejecting CPL/Forge's proposals.

MikeForbes
03-06-2021, 04:46 PM
I hope we smoke Forge like 7-0. I did not care about them before, but after reading the whinging of their fans on Twitter I now hope they fold.

Red CB Toronto
03-06-2021, 05:05 PM
CPL founder and Forge owner Bob Young take on the final.

https://twitter.com/CaretakerBob/status/1368291217361010689

OgtheDim
03-06-2021, 06:02 PM
That post does not surprise me and is in keeping with issues I have with Ti-Cat management & philosophy.

I used to be a Ti-Cat fan.

Grew up as one.

Parents went to games when they moved here in the 50's. Went to a few as a kid. Watched the CFL every week. Knew the players, knew the teams, watched every Grey Cup with family friends. When we moved to Toronto, had Argo season tickets just to watch the games.

Daughter actually worked for the Ti-Cats for a couple of seasons.

Then they hired a coach who had a problematic past in terms of dealing with his players assaulting/raping women & who had never admitted fault even though there was damning evidence about his culpability. The Ti-Cats, and the CFL, all men of course, doubled down on blaming the media for the scandal. Never admitted the hire should not have been done, never admitted they made a mistake. The hire was halted but only due to a massive boycott & threat of an economic blockade against both the team & the league.

I gave up on over 45 years of CFL fandom that week. Don't follow the game anymore, don't know who is playing for who, don't know which team is doing better (apart from keeping a small eye on Argo fortunes vis-a-vis the CFL playoffs & BMO field) & really not caring at all about a league I was SERIOUSLY into. All because a team did something in my mind that was reprehensible.

This thing with the Voyageur's - its NOWHERE near that bad. But, there is a tendency here in behaviour - not admitting fault but blaming outsiders who didn't let Forge do something.

That inability to see their own faults runs through the Ti-Cats & seems to also sit within CPL management (regardless of where that CPL management comes from).

As Rollins aptly put it

https://twitter.com/24thminute/status/1368325278250991623

I hope the CPL succeeds. I would LOVE to see a York v TFC rivalry develop and would probably enjoy a game in my home stomping grounds of Waterloo if a team there ever got to the CPL. But, they gotta realise during Covid that if you don't put your ducks in a row & do the right thing, nobody is going to cut you any slack.

Red CB Toronto
03-06-2021, 06:25 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but I assume the issue here is that the levels of governments were not pleased with the plan and protocols that the CPL/Forges presented to return to training thus play a game. In the fall we saw the government allow for TFC to return to Toronto under a modified quarantine plan The issue could also be what color your area is currently in, is that what's holding up Forge's plan. I do not know. We have both the NHL and AHL playing games in this country without travel across the border.

Personally i was even surprised in the fall that the North Toronto Soccer Club house league was allowed to play. One evening walking through Eglinton Park the fields were full with the 6-7 year olds playing games.

The big question is then is does the CSA even have the permission needed with the protocols in place to even play the game?

That post does not surprise me and is in keeping with issues I have with Ti-Cat management & philosophy.

I used to be a Ti-Cat fan.

Grew up as one.

Parents went to games when they moved here in the 50's. Went to a few as a kid. Watched the CFL every week. Knew the players, knew the teams, watched every Grey Cup with family friends. When we moved to Toronto, had Argo season tickets just to watch the games.

Daughter actually worked for the Ti-Cats for a couple of seasons.

Then they hired a coach who had a problematic past in terms of dealing with his players assaulting/raping women & who had never admitted fault even though there was damning evidence about his culpability. The Ti-Cats, and the CFL, all men of course, doubled down on blaming the media for the scandal. Never admitted the hire should not have been done, never admitted they made a mistake. The hire was halted but only due to a massive boycott & threat of an economic blockade against both the team & the league.

I gave up on over 45 years of CFL fandom that week. Don't follow the game anymore, don't know who is playing for who, don't know which team is doing better (apart from keeping a small eye on Argo fortunes vis-a-vis the CFL playoffs & BMO field) & really not caring at all about a league I was SERIOUSLY into. All because a team did something in my mind that was reprehensible.

This thing with the Voyageur's - its NOWHERE near that bad. But, there is a tendency here in behaviour - not admitting fault but blaming outsiders who didn't let Forge do something.

That inability to see their own faults runs through the Ti-Cats & seems to also sit within CPL management (regardless of where that CPL management comes from).

As Rollins aptly put it

https://twitter.com/24thminute/status/1368325278250991623

I hope the CPL succeeds. I would LOVE to see a York v TFC rivalry develop and would probably enjoy a game in my home stomping grounds of Waterloo if a team there ever got to the CPL. But, they gotta realise during Covid that if you don't put your ducks in a row & do the right thing, nobody is going to cut you any slack.

MikeForbes
03-06-2021, 08:11 PM
I really hope they cancel it and just award TFC the spot. It will save me from having to spend however much a month of OneSoccer costs.

Soccerpro
03-06-2021, 09:56 PM
I really hope they cancel it and just award TFC the spot. It will save me from having to spend however much a month of OneSoccer costs.

All the upcoming Canada games this month will be on Onesoccer....

ensco
03-06-2021, 11:49 PM
Why wasn’t this Forge v TFC game played last year, anyways? Anybody know?

Red CB Toronto
03-07-2021, 01:34 AM
Why wasn’t this Forge v TFC game played last year, anyways? Anybody know?

One thing was Forge was in Central America for almost a month and half for CONCACAF League, there first match was Oct. 22 and the last December 8th.

ensco
03-07-2021, 07:41 AM
This says they camped in the Dominican only after Nov 23.

https://www.thespec.com/sports/hamilton-region/opinion/2020/12/09/forge-fcs-memorable-nomadic-2020-concludes-with-1-0-loss-in-concacaf-champions-league-qualifier-in-honduras.html

TFC didn’t play between November 8 and November 24. Forge didn’t play between November 3 and December 1. Seems to me this could have been sorted.

MikeForbes
03-07-2021, 08:07 AM
All the upcoming Canada games this month will be on Onesoccer....

Ugh. Too many streaming services now.

Kamp Berg
03-07-2021, 08:11 AM

https://www.thespec.com/sports/hamilton-region/opinion/2020/12/09/forge-fcs-memorable-nomadic-2020-concludes-with-1-0-loss-in-concacaf-champions-league-qualifier-in-honduras.html

TFC didn’t play between November 8 and November 24. Forge didn’t play between November 3 and December 1. Seems to me this could have been sorted.

Maybe Vanney leaving had something to do with it. Didn’t he announce his departure on Dec.2?

OgtheDim
03-07-2021, 08:32 AM

Quarantine in and out not really possible under those circumstances to get a game in between. Game would not have been allowed in Ontario at the time so TFC wasn't coming back to Canada & Hamilton going to the US then onto other countries was not going to be allowed by the countries they were going to.

IIRC, one of the reasons the game against Haiti was played in the Dominican was Haiti didn't like how Covid was going in Canada at the time.

Red CB Toronto
03-07-2021, 09:48 AM

Here we go, the stayed in Central America for their first two games, on October 22 and November 3rd, returned to Hamilton, quarantined for two weeks and were allowed to return to training on the 19th of November, trained for two days in Hamilton and then flew to Dominican Republic to prepare for the game on December 1st. This is all based on reading tweets.

Ultra & Proud
03-07-2021, 09:57 AM

We're talking about the CSA here. Even without a pandemic they're 50/50 on screwing up everything.

ensco
03-07-2021, 11:57 AM
Quarantine in and out not really possible under those circumstances to get a game in between. Game would not have been allowed in Ontario at the time so TFC wasn't coming back to Canada & Hamilton going to the US then onto other countries was not going to be allowed by the countries they were going to.

IIRC, one of the reasons the game against Haiti was played in the Dominican was Haiti didn't like how Covid was going in Canada at the time.

OK I get it now. Thanks.

nfitz
03-07-2021, 07:12 PM

TFC didn’t play between November 8 and November 24. Forge didn’t play between November 3 and December 1. Seems to me this could have been sorted.They wouldn't have arrived home until November 4. Two-week quarantine would have ended on November 18 - and at that point, Hamilton hadn't trained in 2 weeks. TFC was back in the USA by then.

I suppose they could have played on Connecticut around November 12 or so ... but I thought Hamilton was opposed to going to the USA.

Also by November 3, all Hamilton had to do was win one of their next 2 CONCACAF League matches, and the whole thing would have been moot.

The bigger question is how did Hamilton Forge fail to get their approval to start training? They've known since November 2020 that the game could be played no later than March 21, 2021, with CSA in November announcing the game would be played before the end of March, and there being an international break starting March 22.

OgtheDim
03-07-2021, 10:18 PM

The bigger question is how did Hamilton Forge fail to get their approval to start training? They've known since November 2020 that the game could be played no later than March 21, 2021, with CSA in November announcing the game would be played before the end of March, and there being an international break starting March 22.

They have known since the Island games they would need to get approval for training at some point. They couldn't get their ducks in a row - or wouldn't do so because it costs too much.

Pure spec from Rollins yesterday was Forge is going to forfeit, know it, and are trying to put the blame on big bad MLS/ Toronto / MLSE.

Red CB Toronto
03-07-2021, 11:58 PM
They have known since the Island games they would need to get approval for training at some point. They couldn't get their ducks in a row - or wouldn't do so because it costs too much.

Pure spec from Rollins yesterday was Forge is going to forfeit, know it, and are trying to put the blame on big bad MLS/ Toronto / MLSE.

There is a lot of suggestion at least over on the Vs board that the issue for the Forge comes down to the CSA not setting a firm date, that if a date had been set a while back they would have be able to get permission to train. That to get permission that they needed to be training for something specific but that sounds too simple to me. The CPL said the approached the government in October to get Forge an exemption so wonder where that went, if they gave one to TFC would they not have to do the same for Forge, can not look like there was a double standard, but I do not know. There is no doubt Covid protocols are costly right now and a lot of companies are looking forward to the days that they are no longer necessary but currently that is the cost of doing business during this pandemic.

DavemTFC
03-08-2021, 01:55 AM
Amazing to see the difference in discussion here and in the Canadian soccer forums where TFC are seen as pure evil

I think this should have either been played in the States in the fall or at least scheduled earlier but I'm pretty unimpressed by Forge acting shocked that this game was scheduled before the CCL start

OgtheDim
03-08-2021, 07:16 AM
...The CPL said the approached the government in October to get Forge an exemption so wonder where that went, if they gave one to TFC would they not have to do the same for Forge, can not look like there was a double standard, but I do not know. There is no doubt Covid protocols are costly right now and a lot of companies are looking forward to the days that they are no longer necessary but currently that is the cost of doing business during this pandemic.

Assuming CPL approached, they would have to provide protocols for how stuff would be done, same as MLSE/MLS did.

Its not like MLS just went up to Public Health Canada & Public Health Ontario/BC/Quebec & said, "We are MLS. Let us play." That didn't even work with the NHL & hasn't worked with Major Junior hockey in a lot of Canada - both of which are institutions with a lot of political power.

The idea that the date needed to exist to provide public health support doesn't jive with how every other approval went down.

I get that Forge/CPL fans are miffed but at some point you have to look at your owners and hold them accountable. I get the love for Bob Young but as I explained before, he has form for letting bonehead decisions occur by people he has hired.

OgtheDim
03-08-2021, 11:08 AM
Forge tweeting out information this morning

https://twitter.com/ForgeFCHamilton/status/1368946914910232579

Confirmation they have been trying but just havn't been able to get Public Health approval for training.

Fault for that is with somebody, but it certainly isn't TFC/MLS/MLSE.

Red CB Toronto
03-08-2021, 11:21 AM
Forge tweeting out information this morning

https://twitter.com/ForgeFCHamilton/status/1368946914910232579

Confirmation they have been trying but just havn't been able to get Public Health approval for training.

Fault for that is with somebody, but it certainly isn't TFC/MLS/MLSE.

I know each case for exemption will be evaluated on its own merit , so I am curious what did MLSE/TFC offer up/do that Forge/CPL did not, is it testing, is it having their own secure training facility, were the risks to the community deemed to be different. I assume the government has a check list for these type of things like they would for any work place. God I do not envy the HR types that have had to deal with these protocols/situations on a daily basis.

Auzzy
03-08-2021, 05:13 PM
Well TFC got COVID now, just to make it fair for everyone... :-/

Oldtimer
03-08-2021, 08:47 PM
Well TFC got COVID now, just to make it fair for everyone... :-/

Quarantine means that there likely will be TFC players missing for this key match.

Auzzy
03-08-2021, 10:58 PM
Quarantine means that there likely will be TFC players missing for this key match.

Yes, plus for now the whole team isn’t training.

PaceyWinger
03-10-2021, 01:50 PM
Obviously we don't have the full picture of the requirements the Gov't has for allowing a team to train but if I had to bet, my gut tells me that Forge lack some resource which is a sticking point for approval. TFC is a part of MLSE. They have all the necessary resources to meet ANY standard the Gov't has no matter the cost. That simply isn't the same for Forge. And if I had to guess why they have yet to gain approval, my sense is that Forge is unable to meet some standard that has been met by the other Major sports.

CPL teams have a $1M budget for the whole organization. They have players earning sub-poverty level wages. Do they even have the resources to run a short, bubbled training camp? TFC leased an entire hotel and a stadium, chartered flights, employed and housed staff to care for, feed, and treat the team while bubbled, in order to participate in last year's season.

I can easily imagine the 2 proposals that would have come before the gov't and why they may be viewed differently. And let's not forget that the Blue Jays ran training camp last year with incredibly strict rules (i.e. not being able to leave the hotel connected to the stadium). It's not like the gov't is being punitively harsh to just Forge.

Red CB Toronto
03-10-2021, 04:39 PM
Financials would not be an issue when it comes to Forge owners and CPL co-founder Bob Young.

Obviously we don't have the full picture of the requirements the Gov't has for allowing a team to train but if I had to bet, my gut tells me that Forge lack some resource which is a sticking point for approval. TFC is a part of MLSE. They have all the necessary resources to meet ANY standard the Gov't has no matter the cost. That simply isn't the same for Forge. And if I had to guess why they have yet to gain approval, my sense is that Forge is unable to meet some standard that has been met by the other Major sports.

CPL teams have a $1M budget for the whole organization. They have players earning sub-poverty level wages. Do they even have the resources to run a short, bubbled training camp? TFC leased an entire hotel and a stadium, chartered flights, employed and housed staff to care for, feed, and treat the team while bubbled, in order to participate in last year's season.

I can easily imagine the 2 proposals that would have come before the gov't and why they may be viewed differently. And let's not forget that the Blue Jays ran training camp last year with incredibly strict rules (i.e. not being able to leave the hotel connected to the stadium). It's not like the gov't is being punitively harsh to just Forge.

ensco
03-10-2021, 05:15 PM
Suspect dedicated single use facilities are an issue. Leafs and TFC own their own training facilities and 100% control access to them 24/7. Easy to imagine that being a criteria... I have no idea how or where CPL teams train but I am willing to bet they generally “beg, borrow and steal”...

SirBobSaget
03-11-2021, 09:37 AM
Onesoccer are reporting that the finals are being postponed. Tfc will be given the ccl qualification while Forge get to host the finals, if it ever actually gets played.

OgtheDim
03-11-2021, 09:49 AM
Seen no confirmation apart from one tweet showing a screen grab of a 3 person discussion including Wheeler with a headline below.

flamehawk
03-11-2021, 09:53 AM
Seen no confirmation apart from one tweet showing a screen grab of a 3 person discussion including Wheeler with a headline below.

Wow, I haven't posted here for almost a decade lol.

When I tweeted that I was also paranoid, surprised at the radio silence. You have to go on the onesoccer platform to see the segment. I actually have it recorded - but apparently journalists were expecting a CSA press release and was caught off guard when it never came out.

In the segment, they claim that this was negotiated with Forge. How there were concerns that the province has still not granted Forge permission to train - so in a hypothetical situation where the situation was reversed with Forge being granted the CCL spot, they wouldn't be able to play the game vs Leon anyways because of match fitness.

Canary10
03-11-2021, 10:03 AM
Onesoccer are reporting that the finals are being postponed. Tfc will be given the ccl qualification while Forge get to host the finals, if it ever actually gets played.

If this is true, what a crappy way to decide the CCL spot. Embarrassing.

OgtheDim
03-11-2021, 10:05 AM

When I tweeted that I was also paranoid, surprised at the radio silence. You have to go on the onesoccer platform to see the segment. I actually have it recorded - but apparently journalists were expecting a CSA press release and was caught off guard when it never came out.

In the segment, they claim that this was negotiated with Forge. How there were concerns that the province has still not granted Forge permission to train - so in a hypothetical situation where the situation was reversed with Forge being granted the CCL spot, they wouldn't be able to play the game vs Leon anyways because of match fitness.

LOL... Thanks for the clarification - sorry if I came over a tad blunt - I deal with disinformation at work about Covid and that mindset of "check everything" sometimes leaks into this forum

:thumbsup:

flamehawk
03-11-2021, 10:23 AM
LOL... Thanks for the clarification - sorry if I came over a tad blunt - I deal with disinformation at work about Covid and that mindset of "check everything" sometimes leaks into this forum

:thumbsup:

Oh yea, no worries, like I said, I started to think I had imagined it when I was the only one tweeting about it (other than the journalist that deleted their tweet shortly after posting). That's why I reloaded onesoccer to rewatch and record lol.

OgtheDim
03-11-2021, 02:13 PM
And now confirmed

TBD remains TBD

MikeForbes
03-11-2021, 02:28 PM
Bring on Leon! Worst case scenario it will be a really good preseason for the guys.

glaze
03-11-2021, 03:29 PM
We shouldn't be happy about this. It would've been better if TFC was the one to forfeit to Forge. Grow the game, their players get a few more cheques and exposure.
The majority of TFC fans don't care about this tournament. Look at the crowds, even when they were at their largest a few years ago, half were cheering for Club America.

Cas87
03-11-2021, 03:38 PM
With everyone complaining both ways about this final it should have just been cancelled and no Canadian team in this years tournament.
I feel like with the uncertainty about the quality in the first place, let alone once the TFC Covid outbreak happened the CSA just shouldn't bother this year as it would just be an embarrassing exit in the first round again (2019 anyone?)

Should just wait until the format changes come in 2023 when the CanChamp won't be the only way in to the CCL (as TFC, MTL and VAN can all quality through the League and the Leagues Cup).

MikeForbes
03-11-2021, 03:42 PM
We shouldn't be happy about this. It would've been better if TFC was the one to forfeit to Forge. Grow the game, their players get a few more cheques and exposure.
The majority of TFC fans don't care about this tournament. Look at the crowds, even when they were at their largest a few years ago, half were cheering for Club America.

The more I read from their fans on Twitter, the less sorry I feel. We are the bad guys in Canada and I personally love it.

DavemTFC
03-11-2021, 03:43 PM
If this is true, what a crappy way to decide the CCL spot. Embarrassing.
Agreed, though I get the difficulty of having to organize all this during COVID and I think the inevitable CSA-hates-CPL-and-bows-to-their-TFC-overlords conspiracy that I assume is already making the rounds in Forge/CPL circles is ridiculous.
It definitely feels unearned though and it sucks for Forge who I would have loved to see compete with us for a champions league spot. I know they'll still plus us for silverware in (likely) the summer but the stakes won't be as high.
In retrospect this should always have just been played in Hartford in the fall

OgtheDim
03-11-2021, 03:58 PM
Forge wasn't going to be able to practice before the CCL game.

This way Forge get a high $ making rivalry like match when we can all go back to games, probably against Bono, Zavs & the like.

jloome
03-11-2021, 05:24 PM
The more I read from their fans on Twitter, the less sorry I feel. We are the bad guys in Canada and I personally love it.

This was handled cannily by Young and poorly by TFC, in the communications department. He left the impression we got some favor when their inability to get clearance was almost certainly their own incompetence.

In the meantime, he avoids having his team play the best team in Mexico, which would've been a truly embarrassing slaughter, rather than the meek capitulation we'll likely offer.

They either lose to us, cementing their lack of quality to even be in the CCL, or they get crushed by Tigres.

ag futbol
03-11-2021, 06:49 PM

See, just how you remember it :)

We’re still all as angsty and pessimistic as we used to be but with age our grievances are more sophisticated and high class. We all reek of entitlement.

RealG-TFC
03-11-2021, 08:16 PM
They can have their PR victory, they need it more than us.

Bushmancan
03-11-2021, 09:00 PM

Respectfully, wrong. I was glad to see the Club America supporters, it made it fun. Perhaps the way we played, helped to grow the game. I know this is a stretch but i want our Club to be the first MLS team to win this and I have no regrets about putting everything on the line in 2018. And quite frankly, not going for it this year is wrong. I feel bad for the Forge fans but sometimes things aren't fair and trust me we won't feel bad if we beat Leon. Maybe they should have flipped a coin, that might be better. Maybe Forge realized that they couldn't be competitively ready for the 7th. I don't know but I do know what i will be doing on the 7th. Just my two cents (pun intended) but TFC til I die.

RealG-TFC
03-11-2021, 09:45 PM
Well said. This is personally my favourite tournament. It brought some of the best quality football to BMO, from both the opposition and from our own team. Some of the attacking interplay in the first leg of that final was outstanding.

ensco
03-11-2021, 11:08 PM
If you don’t get that the 2018 CCL run was one of the greatest things in Toronto sports history, there is nothing anyone can do to explain it to you.

Joe Kool
03-12-2021, 02:36 PM
I really like the CCL and so does every TFC fan I know. I will say going into our first truly competitive game after a coaching change without a full squad who also had to delay training due to COVID and using a new style of play for the first time against a Mexican team does not give me the warm and fuzzies for TFC's chances. Flashbacks of that night versus Panama’s Club Atletico Independiente come up in my head. Haha. Hopefully not.

SoccMan2
03-13-2021, 02:20 PM
I have to disagree yes there were maybe a 1000 or so Club America fans that night but to say almost half were cheering for Club America really ? I was there but the stadium was like 95 percent going for TFC.

Derko
03-14-2021, 01:46 PM

Well it is Hamilton, Oskie We We

ensco
03-16-2021, 10:14 PM
Amusing

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2021/03/16/cf-montr-al-president-kevin-gilmore-disagrees-toronto-fc-getting-concacaf-champions

Oldtimer
03-17-2021, 08:52 AM
Amusing

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2021/03/16/cf-montr-al-president-kevin-gilmore-disagrees-toronto-fc-getting-concacaf-champions

bwahaha.