PDA

View Full Version : Regulear Season - Phase 1 Game 1 Whitecaps @ TFC Tuesday August 18 8pm

OgtheDim
08-13-2020, 04:41 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDi92TB7SJM

Have at It People

Red CB Toronto
08-13-2020, 11:35 PM
This is BS, let the adults make the choice if they want to go or not? There were just under 3,000K at the Dallas game Wednesday night and as such those that attended make that choice. Don't tread on me, If I can go to movie I can go to a game. Not sure i would but at least I want a choice. Fuck this Canadian BS.

Blindside16
08-14-2020, 12:30 AM
This is BS, let the adults make the choice if they want to go or not? There were just under 3,000K at the Dallas game Wednesday night and as such those that attended make that choice. Don't tread on me, If I can go to movie I can go to a game. Not sure i would but at least I want a choice. Fuck this Canadian BS.

You and I will have to agree to disagree on this point. In fact my mindset is that we should not even be playing the remainder of the year. People's health and well being will always trump sports in my books. The disease is a lung shredder and leaves behind a wake of long term health issues that we are only just scratching the surface of. On the other hand I do see and respect your point of "my body my choice." As a grown adult you should be allowed to make your own choices on how to live your life provided they fall within the laws of the land.

Blindside16
08-14-2020, 12:34 AM
Vancouver as a team is hard to read for me. They can put the ball in the net as shown in the tournament and that was without Cavallini in the line up. Their defense however is shambolic and now without their number 1 keeper they are even worse in the back. I am going with 3-2 for the good guys in this one.

James17930
08-14-2020, 03:07 AM
Very interesting that this 'Phase' also acts as the qualification for the Canadian Championship.

Just like the old days!

OgtheDim
08-14-2020, 06:39 AM

I will say this only once

A group of 25 within Toronto has a liklihood of 0.6% of somebody being there with Covid

A group of 2.5K within Toronto would have a liklihood of 43.3% of there being a person with covid at it.

&

Infectious period starts & peaks BEFORE symptom onset

Conclusion:

You don't get to make this choice because Covid does not care about whether you choose or not and others you run into CAN'T make that choice.

Graeme
08-14-2020, 07:29 AM
I will say this only once

A group of 25 within Toronto has a liklihood of 0.6% of somebody being there with Covid

A group of 2.5K within Toronto would have a liklihood of 43.3% of there being a person with covid at it.

&

Infectious period starts & peaks BEFORE symptom onset

Conclusion:

You don't get to make this choice because Covid does not care about whether you choose or not and others you run into CAN'T make that choice.

I get different numbers (0.26% and 26.25%), but this also assumes none of the people who have tested positive are self-isolating for 14 days. I'm not sure that is a reasonable assumption--in fact, I would assume the vast majority of those testing positive would be self-isolating. Of course, there are always the unknown, untested, undiagnosed people, but the positive test numbers have been around 0.26% (for all of Ontario, including Windsor) of all daily tests--but those numbers would also be high for the general population since people with symptoms are much more likely to seek out testing. I believe your numbers are way past worse case scenario.

However, your final conclusion is accurate--the virus does not care about percentage odds, etc.--anyone could be that 0.26% person.

I would temper the comments regarding the peak of infectiousness--that is still a much debated concept and likely won't be resolved without much cleaner data, which will take some time to assemble.

Richard
08-14-2020, 08:34 AM
This is not about your freedom, it's about being a decent fucking human being and not giving it to other people who may not have the ability to go cope with the virus.

This Canadian "BS" seems to be working, you want to join the American Yahoos, then be my guest and pack your bags.

magmadragon
08-14-2020, 08:43 AM

CB I love you man, but I have to vehemently disagree with you. This and your whole travel to the US for a game thing is so wrong headed.

OgtheDim
08-14-2020, 09:14 AM
I would temper the comments regarding the peak of infectiousness--that is still a much debated concept and likely won't be resolved without much cleaner data, which will take some time to assemble.

Fair comment

I got that from a study from June retweeted by a respected Toronto based epidemiologist (David Fisman) again this morning. The study agreed with you about needing cleaner data. All good. :)

I understand the desire for a return to normal. My life is not normal either.

I'm a front line worker in a declared essential service where social distancing is not possible to do our jobs - me and my team are the people with the face shields etc. taking temperatures of staff as they arrive.
I'm not in medical - I ain't no hero - that's my neice the ER nurse & IIRC also some people in here.

There are thousands of people like me across this city trying to keep you all in stuff so your lives can be a bit normal. The amount of us doing that in this city is going to grow x10 in the next few weeks. Many of my colleagues come from the poorer neighbourhoods of Toronto, with multiple generations in a household and are working because they have no choice how to put food on the table (I don't really either, to be honest, but I'm here so there we go). If you've seen the Toronto Star articles, you know about where I'm talking about.

This is our reality. Face masks, as good PPE as is available, taking transit to and from work, unable to social distance completely, unable to work from home - numerous people in a setting. So, I have a personal & professional interest in people in this town taking Covid 19 seriously.

And some people, in wanting to get back to what normal was, in trying to do what we all want to do - well they are going to endanger others - somebody like me, somebody like my team, somebody like the people I am hiring, they or their families are going to be the ones that pay the price.

As I said, I ain't no hero medical person (ya'll really should be thinking about your relatives but it seems people need to think about somebody noble to take this seriously).

But I'm not going to support in any way behaviour that strongly if indirectly puts me, my colleagues, and our families (not to mention all of you, your colleagues & families) at risk. Which is why if Montreal DOES open up to a crowd, I will completely ignore that game. And which is why I am pretty much compelled to respond at least once to somebody wanting Toronto games to be open to the public.

Fin

Oldtimer
08-14-2020, 09:16 AM

Whether you wear a bike helmet on a bicycle is 100% your choice. If you get a concussion only you are directly affected.

If you get COVID-19, not only are you affected but those you come into contact with, and their contacts as well. Is it worth someone's grandma dying to see a football match live? It's not about politically correct BS (which I agree we have too much of), it's about considering others.

Redpunkfiddle
08-14-2020, 10:26 AM
As adults, we all know freedom of choice isn't in an individual vacuum. If your choice infringes my freedom it can be limited. The classic example is yelling 'fire' in a movie theatre. A public health crisis with a communicable disease meets that test I'd say. Even so, we also accept measures that only protect individuals, like having to wear a seat belt.

We've done fairly well in Canada, and reopening phases have been rolled out methodically. There is some push and pull as political officials make the call and have to decide whether to accept professional expert advice or no, but I'm sure most Canadians prefer our strategy and outcomes to that of the US.

OgtheDim
08-14-2020, 10:37 AM
We play in about 104 hours.

I think we will go with the same group as played in Orlando - maybe shouldn't go with that, but I think we will go with that.

MikeForbes
08-14-2020, 11:02 AM
Didn't realize this was on Tuesday. That is my evening sorted.

Bushmancan
08-14-2020, 12:23 PM
6 Games in 21 days, Does Jozy play, is Akinola healthy? When is the transfer window this year.

MikeForbes
08-14-2020, 12:30 PM
6 Games in 21 days, Does Jozy play, is Akinola healthy? When is the transfer window this year.

Transfer window is now open.

mastermixer
08-14-2020, 01:42 PM
So is BMO field under the NHL bubble? Would be interesting to see NHL players in the stands during the games...

ManUtd4ever
08-14-2020, 04:26 PM
I'm glad there will be semblance of continuity to the season. I also agree with keeping the stands empty for the time being, as unfortunate as that may be.

Red CB Toronto
08-14-2020, 11:00 PM
If I got Covid I can assure you that i would never put anyone at risk , I would happily be staying home ordering take out each day. People who take the TTC on a daily basis are really taking a chance, it is not worth the risk in my eyes. I got out of Toronto the moment this pandemic hit, staying at my families place in the country. It was the best place to be. Having been in bars a number of times in the last couple of weeks, people are being really respectful here in Toronto minus a few examples of stupid stuff.

If they let people into BMO in a smart way the risk would not be great. Outdoor transmission is pretty low compared to an indoor setting. They would spread people out and have a police in the aisles to keep things in check, making sure people are respecting social distancing. It is really not that hard to do. It just comes down to a thoughtful process.

Fair comment

I got that from a study from June retweeted by a respected Toronto based epidemiologist (David Fisman) again this morning. The study agreed with you about needing cleaner data. All good. :)

I'm a front line worker in a declared essential service where social distancing is not possible to do our jobs - me and my team are the people with the face shields etc. taking temperatures of staff as they arrive.
I'm not in medical - I ain't no hero - that's my neice the ER nurse & IIRC also some people in here.

There are thousands of people like me across this city trying to keep you all in stuff so your lives can be a bit normal. The amount of us doing that in this city is going to grow x10 in the next few weeks. Many of my colleagues come from the poorer neighbourhoods of Toronto, with multiple generations in a household and are working because they have no choice how to put food on the table (I don't really either, to be honest, but I'm here so there we go). If you've seen the Toronto Star articles, you know about where I'm talking about.

This is our reality. Face masks, as good PPE as is available, taking transit to and from work, unable to social distance completely, unable to work from home - numerous people in a setting. So, I have a personal & professional interest in people in this town taking Covid 19 seriously.

And some people, in wanting to get back to what normal was, in trying to do what we all want to do - well they are going to endanger others - somebody like me, somebody like my team, somebody like the people I am hiring, they or their families are going to be the ones that pay the price.

As I said, I ain't no hero medical person (ya'll really should be thinking about your relatives but it seems people need to think about somebody noble to take this seriously).

But I'm not going to support in any way behaviour that strongly if indirectly puts me, my colleagues, and our families (not to mention all of you, your colleagues & families) at risk. Which is why if Montreal DOES open up to a crowd, I will completely ignore that game. And which is why I am pretty much compelled to respond at least once to somebody wanting Toronto games to be open to the public.

Fin

Red CB Toronto
08-14-2020, 11:02 PM
Whether you wear a bike helmet on a bicycle is 100% your choice. If you get a concussion only you are directly affected.

If you get COVID-19, not only are you affected but those you come into contact with, and their contacts as well. Is it worth someone's grandma dying to see a football match live? It's not about politically correct BS (which I agree we have too much of), it's about considering others.

If I get Covid I can assure you I would not be exposing it others I would lock myself in my home and stay there, living off of delivery etc. That is common sense.

Auzzy
08-14-2020, 11:20 PM
If I got Covid I can assure you that i would never put anyone at risk , I would happily be staying home ordering take out each day. People who take the TTC on a daily basis are really taking a chance, it is not worth the risk in my eyes. I got out of Toronto the moment this pandemic hit, staying at my families place in the country. It was the best place to be. Having been in bars a number of times in the last couple of weeks, people are being really respectful here in Toronto minus a few examples of stupid stuff.

If they let people into BMO in a smart way the risk would not be great. Outdoor transmission is pretty low compared to an indoor setting. They would spread people out and have a police in the aisles to keep things in check, making sure people are respecting social distancing. It is really not that hard to do. It just comes down to a thoughtful process.

If I get Covid I can assure you I would not be exposing it others I would lock myself in my home and stay there, living off of delivery etc. That is common sense.

Often you will have no idea you have Covid until after you have been infectious. In fact you can be infectious w/o having any symptoms. And if you get seriously ill, you'll have to go to the hospital, therefore creating risk for those treating you, and costing our public healthcare system which is funded by our tax dollars. (BTW even though younger people w/o pre-existing conditions don't die often, lots of them have had to go to the hospital, and lots of them have lasting damage to organs such as lungs and blood vessels, with unknown long-term effects.)

Also studies have shown that public transit is much less dangerous than settings such as bars: people need to take their masks off to drink & eat in a bar; there's lots of loud talking which is a great way to spew up the virus; people face each other as they talk; people often stay in bars much longer than they do in public transit; people are much less likely to follow rules after they've had a few; and such locations are often not well ventilated. Could be that the places you've visited have been pretty well run. But a few examples of stupid stuff are enough to cause infections. There have been hundred cases of infection around the world linked to bars, including some super-spreader events. As far as I know there are no cases that have been proven to be tied to public transit; at least it's very rare.

Somebody else can explain the issues with larger events such as sports...

DOMIN8R
08-15-2020, 10:04 AM
So is BMO field under the NHL bubble? Would be interesting to see NHL players in the stands during the games...

Yes. Including barricades and security guards.

Derko
08-15-2020, 03:00 PM

Jozy wasn't game ready, and was lazy about coming to training, why do we give him so much leeway, he is becoming the fat out of shape Wayne Rooney type player, 10 -20 minutes off of the bench.

glaze
08-15-2020, 04:36 PM
On one hand Jozy is behind only Giovinco in all time goals. On the other, he once got injured taking a pk, and does not always seem engaged. At this point we are definitely paying him for past performance. As a club you can't be ruthless with all of your aging stars.

PaceyWinger
08-15-2020, 05:53 PM

If you got Covid you wouldn't even know you've transmitted it to other people until days at best after your symptoms appeared. How do you think it travelled from China to basically everywhere on earth in a matter of weeks. You're not that good.

Red CB Toronto
08-15-2020, 06:25 PM
If you got Covid you wouldn't even know you've transmitted it to other people until days at best after your symptoms appeared. How do you think it travelled from China to basically everywhere on earth in a matter of weeks. You're not that good.

That is why getting tested on a regular basis is key.

James17930
08-15-2020, 07:31 PM

I thought bike helmets were mandatory too ... (?)

TMAN80
08-15-2020, 07:46 PM
Thanks to everyone on here that is actually posting about TFC game/roster decisions In this thread. All I see/hear is Covid news EVERYWHERE, and to be perfectly honest, I hate reading about it in here. Can’t someone who’s interested in “everything covid” create their own thread and leave this one to people who just want to escape it for a bit and read/discuss soccer? Sorry if this sounds harsh, but let’s keep on topic.

Auzzy
08-15-2020, 10:35 PM
I thought bike helmets were mandatory too ... (?)

In Ontario, bike helmets are only mandatory for cyclists under age 18.

But yeah let’s focus on the game rather than all this other stuff.

Red CB Toronto
08-15-2020, 11:48 PM
I will be in Montreal loud and proud, Toronto FC til I die. See I live life like today is my last, the spectacular now. Front line workers going to work is their choice ,they made it, that does not mean I can not live my life.

Fair comment

Fin

Auzzy
08-16-2020, 09:05 AM
I will be in Montreal loud and proud, Toronto FC til I die. See I live life like today is my last, the spectacular now. Front line workers going to work is their choice ,they made it, that does not mean I can not live my life.

Do you actually have anything to contribute about the upcoming game against Vancouver?

shwade
08-16-2020, 10:39 AM

People who are dumb enough to say this are too dumb to understand that symptoms will show up almost two weeks later. Let me spell this out for you: you won't know you have it for 2 weeks and you'll be bumping into all kinds of people. "Testing is key" - you're gonna go get tested daily and expected other nitwits to do the same?

Red CB Toronto
08-16-2020, 12:56 PM
Do you actually have anything to contribute about the upcoming game against Vancouver?

Looking forward to seeing if Ayo can pickup where he left off during the tourney down in Florida. Thing is he and Jozy have very similar makeups, big lumbering types who can boss there way in the box. But on the other hand having them both out together , not really sure if that works all that well, they would not be very complimentary to each other. I will be interested to see how the Whitecaps stack up with all their player returning who sat out the tournament. It is going to be an interesting next couple weeks for the Reds.

OgtheDim
08-16-2020, 03:48 PM
TFC Pravda had a preview today but its wrapped in "our 200th episode" self congratulatory stuff.

MikeForbes
08-16-2020, 05:28 PM
TFC Pravda had a preview today but its wrapped in "our 200th episode" self congratulatory stuff.

Is Pravda basically anything Gareth Wheeler writes or is involved in?

TFC1986
08-16-2020, 09:26 PM
I hope Ayo starts the match

SirBobSaget
08-16-2020, 10:15 PM

I really want to like this podcast. I took in most episodes but now im officially done. Wheeler should be the interviewer allowing the experts Dunfield or guest to talk. Instead we get Wheeler making declarations while Dunfield chuckles. Then lets bring in Jerome who has nothing too offer to kill an extra few minutes.

613reppingTFC
08-17-2020, 08:16 AM
well looks like White Caps sold Hwang, thought he would have done better for them there.
Looking forward to the game tomorrow and see what kind of lineup we put out there. At this point I would rather see Ayo than Jozy up front.

OgtheDim
08-17-2020, 11:56 AM
well looks like White Caps sold Hwang, thought he would have done better for them there.
Looking forward to the game tomorrow and see what kind of lineup we put out there. At this point I would rather see Ayo than Jozy up front.

Yeh...about that.....

https://twitter.com/joshuakloke/status/1295399674665406464

Everybody else is available

MikeForbes
08-17-2020, 11:57 AM

Kloke and Buffery on Twitter just posted saying that Akinola is not likely as he just returned to training. Hopefully Jozy is ready to go.

OgtheDim
08-17-2020, 01:39 PM
Doyle makes a joke on the MLS website about us not being able to keep any forward healthy for longer then 90 minutes...

Ultra & Proud
08-17-2020, 02:15 PM
Doyle makes a joke on the MLS website about us not being able to keep any forward healthy for longer then 90 minutes...
Having Altidore is always going to keep that number low.

PaceyWinger
08-17-2020, 02:58 PM
Having Altidore is always going to keep that number low.

No doubt. Achara's injury was an accident but Ayo's injury is very concerning though. At the time it was presented as a little knock and hamstring soreness and weeks later it is still a thing. I hope this isn't a long term deal because he was riding some serious momentum.

Fort York Redcoat
08-17-2020, 06:38 PM
I'm ecstatic we found a way to play amongst ourselves here in Canada and keep things as controlled as possible.

Can't wait to see some different starters this match. I hope for some big changes if there's any repeat of last match.

OgtheDim
08-17-2020, 08:13 PM
So the Whitecaps flew in tonight (just landing at 8:37pm) and will be staying a few days as we play the first 2 games of the Voyageurs MLS Division with them here.

Here's the schedule

Tues., Aug. 18: Toronto vs. Vancouver (8 pm ET)
Fri., Aug. 21: Toronto vs. Vancouver (8 pm ET)
Tues., Aug. 25: Montreal vs. Vancouver (8 pm ET)
Fri., Aug. 28: Montreal vs. Toronto (8 pm ET)
Tues., Sept. 1: Toronto vs. Montreal (8 pm ET)
Sat., Sept. 5: Vancouver vs. Toronto (9:30 pm ET)
Wed., Sept. 9: Montreal vs. Toronto (8 pm ET)
Sun., Sept. 13: Vancouver vs. Montreal (9:30 pm ET)
Wed., Sept. 16: Vancouver vs. Montreal (9:30 pm ET)

Breaking it down

Vancouver Game 2 Days Game Travel to Montreal 2 Days Game Travel to Vancouver 8 days Game 7 Days Game 2 Days Game (21 non travel days)

Toronto Game 2 Days Game 5 Days Travel to Montreal Game Travel to Toronto 2 Days Game 2 Days Travel to Vancouver Game Travel to Toronto 1 Day Travel to Montreal Game (12 non travel days)

Montreal 7 Days Game 2 Days Game 2 Days Travel to Toronto Game Travel to Montreal 5 Days Game 2 Days Travel To Vancouver Game 2 Day Game (13 non travel days + starting a week after the other two teams)

Our travel schedule SIGNIFICANTLY suks in comparison - Our biggest time off is the week after our 2nd game before our 3rd game

OgtheDim
08-17-2020, 08:32 PM
This is also a tournament where winning is going to mean a heck of a lot more then usual, especially at home. 2 losses in the first 2 games & we are in a deep deep hole. Anything less then 4 points and we are going to have to win a few away. I think 12 points might win this thing.

OgtheDim
08-18-2020, 06:26 AM
GAME DAY!!!!

:scarf: <6ft> :scarf: <6ft> :scarf: <6ft> :scarf: <6ft> :scarf:

Graeme
08-18-2020, 08:39 AM
Sounds like maybe Morrow and Akinola are still out?

-----------------Westberg----------------
--Auro--Gonzalez--Mavinga--?Laryea?--
-------------Bradley/Fraser (at 60)------
--Delgado------------------Osorio-------
--------------Pozuelo--------------------
---Piatti-----------------Altidore----------

Thoughts?

MikeForbes
08-18-2020, 09:24 AM
Sounds like maybe Morrow and Akinola are still out?

-----------------Westberg----------------
--Auro--Gonzalez--Mavinga--?Laryea?--
-------------Bradley/Fraser (at 60)------
--Delgado------------------Osorio-------
--------------Pozuelo--------------------
---Piatti-----------------Altidore----------

Thoughts?

I think the MLS is Back tournament proved to most people that Greg Vanney will never replace Michael Bradley, no matter how poorly he is playing or how exhausted he looks.

Graeme
08-18-2020, 09:43 AM
I think the MLS is Back tournament proved to most people that Greg Vanney will never replace Michael Bradley, no matter how poorly he is playing or how exhausted he looks.
Ha ha! I was hoping Vanney learned from the last game, but you may be right. These games are pretty close together and we've got to get some minutes to any potential Bradley replacement--and I'm a HUGE fan of Bradley--we're almost always better with him on the field, but not that last game--clearly, and understandably, out of gas.

OgtheDim
08-18-2020, 10:23 AM
Bradley was great in the first & second games playing better then he has since 2017

& then fell off a cliff

Good with rest. Start him in this one and then sit him for the Friday game.

BelfastBoy
08-18-2020, 10:44 AM
Anyone down for setting up a TV in the BMO parking lot?

MikeForbes
08-18-2020, 10:47 AM
Fully expecting a win tonight. Gonna say 3-1 TFC. Altidore, Osorio and Piatti finally all get on the score sheet.

Joe Kool
08-18-2020, 03:14 PM
I have no idea what to expect. I expected us to be way better against NYCFC. When I saw that lineup I knew we were in trouble but was hoping for the best. Bradley was gassed but not subbed out. Mavinga looked like he didn't really give a shit. Everyone was moving slow. Was just a mess. I expected more. I would expect a win tonight but until I see the lineup and the effort I don't trust my expectations for this club right now.

ag futbol
08-18-2020, 03:37 PM
^ Agreed. Prior to the shutdown I thought our team was relatively stable and trending towards making a good playoff run.

After the shutdown I’m less sure. Very hard to tell what is reflecting the quality of our squad and what has to do with personal circumstances / things outside of the game, etc...

In today's environment a low quality team that’s managed to train properly through COVID and isn’t caught up in other unnecessary drama could give an (otherwise) superior side a run for its money.

CBTFC
08-18-2020, 04:14 PM
No outdoor patios showing this, anywhere?? Bueller??

Oldtimer
08-18-2020, 04:26 PM

The OLG Play Stage is having a distanced drive-in event if anyone is interested. $25 donation to MLSE foundation for admission. Call TFC @ 416-360-4625 first come first serve, limited spots.

Red CB Toronto
08-18-2020, 04:40 PM

I am sure some will be at Betty’s on King East where we had the viewing party for the season opener.

613reppingTFC
08-18-2020, 04:59 PM
I'm hoping for a much better result than the last time out. They were battling so many things during that tournament with the heat, two early games, plus a wake up call for a morning game that got delayed ( just more stress to get ready that early for nothing). This all on top of covid and the surge in cases where they were located.

I'm hoping they are a bit more at ease and will feel better playing at home tonight. Much better conditions here and for now a bit safer with only the Canadian teams and less travel.

We will see how it goes but I've got my eye on Bradley, and see how OG responds too how tired he looked.

ManUtd4ever
08-18-2020, 06:12 PM
Glad we have a few more matches to watch with something on the line. Let's enjoy this while we can because it's going to be very difficult logistically for the 3 Canadian teams to complete the MLS regular season when this is done.

OgtheDim
08-18-2020, 06:28 PM
That lineup is not fooling around

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EfvSOWVWkAQm41-?format=jpg&name=small

Gonna play like a 4-2-3-1

Red CB Toronto
08-18-2020, 06:33 PM
It still five subs, right?

That lineup is not fooling around

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EfvSOWVWkAQm41-?format=jpg&name=small

Gonna play like a 4-2-3-1

OgtheDim
08-18-2020, 06:37 PM

Based on the Nashville Chicago games, yes.

FootBallAZ
08-18-2020, 07:06 PM
Let's get it, don't stop!

MikeForbes
08-18-2020, 07:16 PM
This is the team we all drew up pre-season. Let's dismantle this below average Whitecaps team like we should.

rydermike
08-18-2020, 07:22 PM

Yes, Fifa approved five subs through the end of December

Areathrasher
08-18-2020, 07:25 PM
Any streams?

MikeForbes
08-18-2020, 07:31 PM
Delgado and Osorio look like they have been playing together for the past 5 seasons. Oh, wait...

OgtheDim
08-18-2020, 07:32 PM
The passing....not fast enough & a lot of plain misses

MikeForbes
08-18-2020, 07:35 PM
Canadian International Jonathan Osorio.

alex andrew
08-18-2020, 07:38 PM
looks like they are all warming up...

my crystal ball predicts a great match..

WestStandGeoff
08-18-2020, 07:45 PM
Does anyone have info about the banners over the supports seats? I'm particualrly concerned about the big fist over 113, and wondering if it's something to take up here or with the club.

MikeForbes
08-18-2020, 07:51 PM
Holy Pablo!!!

Yuushalinsky
08-18-2020, 07:53 PM
And people were concerned about this man... why?

TorcidaSplit
08-18-2020, 07:55 PM
Does anyone have info about the banners over the supports seats? I'm particualrly concerned about the big fist over 113, and wondering if it's something to take up here or with the club.

What’s concerning about it? It’s a BLM banner painted by supporters

Boddington
08-18-2020, 07:55 PM
Any streams?

https://redditts.soccerstreams.net/event/toronto-vancouver-whitecaps-live-stream/508715

OgtheDim
08-18-2020, 07:56 PM

Its an anti-racism banner put together by every single supporter group but 1.

https://www.newsbreak.com/news/1593321262216/toronto-fc-players-staff-and-supporters-take-stand-against-racism

Areathrasher
08-18-2020, 07:57 PM
https://redditts.soccerstreams.net/event/toronto-vancouver-whitecaps-live-stream/508715

I was using that but they are all shite. Missed the fucking goal

Areathrasher
08-18-2020, 07:57 PM

https://twitter.com/U_Sector/status/1295879706210971648?s=19

gracos
08-18-2020, 07:58 PM
P Piatti is really good, quiet which usually means few mistakes, before he scored i was thinking why give him a DP contract but if he continues like this he will make me eat my thoughts

WestStandGeoff
08-18-2020, 07:58 PM
What’s concerning about it? It’s a BLM banner painted by supporters

There are lots of ways to support racial equity without involving a Marxist organization like Black Lives Matter, that's my concern. And I am particularly concerned if RPB funds were used for some or all of the banner since we're supposed to be apolitical.

MikeForbes
08-18-2020, 08:03 PM
Here we go with the political talk again.

notthesun
08-18-2020, 08:06 PM
Hard bunkering while down a goal. Never change, Vancouver.

MikeForbes
08-18-2020, 08:07 PM
The Whitecaps are a USL level squad.

Areathrasher
08-18-2020, 08:10 PM
There are lots of ways to support racial equity without involving a Marxist organization like Black Lives Matter, that's my concern. And I am particularly concerned if RPB funds were used for some or all of the banner since we're supposed to be apolitical.

Look at the picture of the banner in the link I posted above. It's nothing to do with BLM and does not reference BLM. In fact it uses a slogan that's been used by football supporters for years.

CBTFC
08-18-2020, 08:11 PM
I am completely sold on Piatti. He is just givin' 'er out there.

alex andrew
08-18-2020, 08:14 PM
looks like a friendly the way i see it

meaning friendly friendly

but i like it !

WestStandGeoff
08-18-2020, 08:14 PM
Look at the picture of the banner in the link I posted above. It's nothing to do with BLM and does not reference BLM. In fact it uses a slogan that's been used by football supporters for years.

Last post I'm going to make on the subject as I don't intend to derail the game thread, but I strongly disagree that it's not BLM since it uses their "fist" logo, which is a surprising rip-off of old communist iconography. It's the imagery I have a problem with, not the message that accompanies it.

Redpunkfiddle
08-18-2020, 08:16 PM

You could post in our members section if you want to discuss.

ag futbol
08-18-2020, 08:17 PM
The Whitecaps are a USL level squad.
Their midfield roundly sucks, probably the worst in MLS.

As much as they are on a budget I do wonder if Dos Santos is a capable coach. Maybe his magic is mainly as an assistant or USL level.

OgtheDim
08-18-2020, 08:18 PM
The sort of game where we either come out flat in the second half and they rev up to thump our slow defence or we let them in with a soft one at the end and give up points.

Finishing has been poor - lots of side footed attempts to slot home that have come off slow.

A Stick
08-18-2020, 08:29 PM
Last post I'm going to make on the subject as I don't intend to derail the game thread, but I strongly disagree that it's not BLM since it uses their "fist" logo, which is a surprising rip-off of old communist iconography. It's the imagery I have a problem with, not the message that accompanies it.
You have no fucking clue what you are talking you right wing jerk. Do you really think the MLS and the NBA would supporting a Marxist organization?

MikeForbes
08-18-2020, 08:38 PM
Pablo owns BMO.

MikeForbes
08-18-2020, 08:39 PM
I have a soft spot for Patrick Mullins, I love how hard he works.

rydermike
08-18-2020, 08:40 PM
Delgado with the nice duck to avoid the ball that allowed it to go to Pablo

MikeForbes
08-18-2020, 08:45 PM
Could play the academy Friday night and I think we could beat the Caps 2-0.

gracos
08-18-2020, 08:45 PM
VWFC didnt play to the whistle, and they decide to complain, no dice

MightyDM
08-18-2020, 08:50 PM

I hope they were. There is nothing remotely Marxist about supporting Black Lives Matter. Soccer is inclusive and is the worlds sport, and we absolutely should be speaking out against racism. And if BLM talks about class differences or other Marxist analysis, perhaps they have a point.

MikeForbes
08-18-2020, 08:56 PM
Great games from both Marky and Richie.

MikeForbes
08-18-2020, 09:11 PM
Marc dos Santos is definitely getting fired in the near future. This Whitecaps team sucks, but they don't even look like they care.

benito
08-18-2020, 09:17 PM
Solid win tonight. Not sure what this season has in store but nice to watch this team play again.

ManUtd4ever
08-18-2020, 09:20 PM
Sheer dominance all over the pitch. That was an absolute pleasure to watch.

Yohan
08-18-2020, 09:22 PM
don't read too much into this game. Caps are really bad. like CPL level bad

carbontax
08-18-2020, 09:28 PM

This explains your Chad Barrett jersey. :)

portu
08-18-2020, 11:56 PM
Excellent performance. Fluid, efficient, calm and in control. Full credit to Vanney. Not sure Altidore fits the style too well though. Looking forward to seeing Akinola fit.

James17930
08-19-2020, 12:09 AM
Didn't see the game, just the highlights, but even from that it seemed quite clear Vancouver were just strolling around the pitch most of the game.

Lil'John
08-19-2020, 12:28 AM
With Jozy on the field, Poz had noone to play the ball through to. Jozy was slow, making bno runs, and rarely where a centre forward should be. As soon as Mullins came on, Poz had someone ahead of him to pass to.
Jozy is and will always be a legend for us. But if he's always injured or not fit...we would have won by 6 with Akinola on the field tonight.
I'm really worried about our DP.
Otherwise we looked good...but difficult to tell with such poor Caps team.
PS: Fair enough to have views about BLM, but this is not the forum for it!!

Red CB Toronto
08-19-2020, 12:45 AM
Was great to see, controlled the ball all night and Pablo had some really beauties.

notthesun
08-19-2020, 12:49 AM
don't read too much into this game. Caps are really bad. like CPL level bad

Yeah I was going to say the same. Nice to see Piatti have a game though.

PizzaEatingYeti
08-19-2020, 03:57 AM
Nice to see Piatti was a good signing.

Bad game by Altidore, it's like he has zero interest/motivation. Again, why this man is being paid that many millions per year? I really hope we'll have a new DP instead of him when his contract expires.

As more posters said, we should not draw any important conclusions regarding the whole TFC after this match, because Whitecaps is a bad team and played like a very bad team.
Not sure if they would win CPL with this kind of performance.

OgtheDim
08-19-2020, 06:21 AM
The night for me is summed up in one play they showed on video at the half.

Adnan takes the ball up and passes to Cavalini who can't get to it but presses - Adnan is the only other one who goes up, looks around, sees nobody else with him and literally waves his hand saying something like "Forget this" in disgust and retreats.

Defoe
08-19-2020, 07:40 AM

Black lives matter is a communist organization, period. It’s not an “opinion” it’s simply a statement of fact. it’s written all over their website. This is known now. It’s very ignorant for them to try to play this off as no big deal. Didn’t watch the game as soon I saw it, won’t watch another game this year, not purchasing season tickets again.

Joe Kool
08-19-2020, 08:58 AM
I agree with everyone else on here that it is hard to rate TFC's performance with Caps being so bad but it was a good game for TFC to build their confidence with passing and game fitness. The only issue the whole game I thought was Altidore like some have said. Almost looked like he didn't know where to play and often times was out wide instead of where you would expect a centre forward to be. Seemed a little slow to react at times too. Unless he can get himself back into game shape (and beast mode) regularly like he has in the past we really need to move on and pick up another DP that is more dynamic to combine with the other guys at the speed they are playing. Altidore was a step behind in the game speed last night it seemed to me. Maybe just getting back to fitness thing but if the rest of the team has been able to get back to fitness there is no reason he shouldn't be as well. He is getting paid a lot so we expect a lot.

rydermike
08-19-2020, 09:06 AM
Altidore is extended until the end of 2022. With his high salary, I don't see any other club acquiring him from us on a transfer (only perhaps a Qatari/Chinese/Saudi/etc club, but I doubt he would he be willing to take that). Perhaps, a US club might trade for him, but he could also have a NTC.

https://www.wakingthered.com/2019/2/26/18242406/report-toronto-fc-extend-jozy-altidore-till-2022-contract-designated-player

613reppingTFC
08-19-2020, 09:11 AM
Was a much better result and the team played well compared to the last game of the tournament. OG didn't look nearly as tired with those heavy legs and Bradley did alright too. Someone mentioned above (lil'John) about Jozy being out of position and a few times he was right beside poz at half when he should have been pressing higher up the field. One time I noticed the ball outside wide and Jozy wasn't even in the 18 waiting for the cross...the ball comes over and they let it go to him outside the 18 and he just watched as it went by him. With the exception of when he kept the ball in and Pablo scored the 2nd goal, i wasn't all that impressed with his performance. I am also looking forward to see Ayo out there again.

Not that they were pressing much but against a team that is going to properly do a high press, we are going to have to move the ball quicker and cleaner. will be interesting to see what happens moving forward. Glad we got the win and looking forward to Friday night's game! COYR

Initial B
08-19-2020, 09:12 AM
Having watched Dos Santos coach for years in Ottawa, I know he's better than this. However, he can only work with what he has been given compared to his peers and this year is pretty much a write-off for most clubs. I could see the Whitecaps FO not spending another dime on the club until next year when the financial outlook is a little clearer.

Ultra & Proud
08-19-2020, 09:16 AM
I hope they were. There is nothing remotely Marxist about supporting Black Lives Matter. Soccer is inclusive and is the worlds sport, and we absolutely should be speaking out against racism. And if BLM talks about class differences or other Marxist analysis, perhaps they have a point.

Not to drag out politics where it doesn't need to be but the senior leadership of BLM do in fact claim to be Marxist and they chose the Marxist fist (minus the red star) for their logo on purpose. Some people will always have a problem with Marxism/Communism and that doesn't reflect on racist values or undermine the idea of racial equality. It can simply mean they hate communism and that's fair. I have a lot of friends from former USSR regions and I can tell you they automatically hate anything to do with Communism and Marxism no matter what it is or who it's tied into.

ManUtd4ever
08-19-2020, 10:34 AM
Altidore is an emotional player that has always risen to the occasion for us in big games. I am not sure he'll be able to be at his best playing in empty stadiums. He's just one of those guys that feeds off the energy of the crowd.

ag futbol
08-19-2020, 10:37 AM
Not to drag out politics where it doesn't need to be but the senior leadership of BLM do in fact claim to be Marxist and they chose the Marxist fist (minus the red star) for their logo on purpose. Some people will always have a problem with Marxism/Communism and that doesn't reflect on racist values or undermine the idea of racial equality. It can simply mean they hate communism and that's fair. I have a lot of friends from former USSR regions and I can tell you they automatically hate anything to do with Communism and Marxism no matter what it is or who it's tied into.
I think the nuance here is we have an organization with a name that is the same as a slogan / general rallying cry for people who want to see improvements in how how the police and others in society treat people of colour. Personally when I hear “Black Lives Matter” I’m not thinking of the organization but rather people trying to fight for equal rights, which I’m supportive of. In no way would I support someone promoting communism. Anyway, my $0.02...

Back to the game... good performance but I noticed Vancouver’s mediocre attempts at a press did cause slight problems on occasion. I think this is something we will have to tighten up in more competitive games if we want to play in this style. But this was a good tune-up match to figure out such things.

BendItLikeGio
08-19-2020, 10:39 AM
Hello all, we will end this BLM discussion. This is a Game thread, however please see below.

This was a joint project with the other groups and TFC to support our fellow TFC team members, maybe you are not aware our very own Justin Morrow is leading this player coalition. He and many others from the team have reached out to us and thanked us for this banner which was painted maybe 2-3 months ago before the team left for Orlando and displayed to them back then.

FO asked us over the weekend if we wanted to use it again during the games and we (all the groups) gave them the thumbs up to do so.

MightyDM
08-19-2020, 11:29 AM
I think the nuance here is we have an organization with a name that is the same as a slogan / general rallying cry for people who want to see improvements in how how the police and others in society treat people of colour. Personally when I hear “Black Lives Matter” I’m not thinking of the organization but rather people trying to fight for equal rights, which I’m supportive of. In no way would I support someone promoting communism. Anyway, my $0.02...

Back to the game... good performance but I noticed Vancouver’s mediocre attempts at a press did cause slight problems on occasion. I think this is something we will have to tighten up in more competitive games if we want to play in this style. But this was a good tune-up match to figure out such things.

This is a very live issue for us. MB was struggling on all of his first touches for about ten minutes before he started playing well - other teams will have noticed as this is how he played in the NYCFC game when they pressed.

MightyDM
08-19-2020, 01:44 PM

i think he is a decent player for us. And we need multiple options at striker.

MightyDM
08-19-2020, 01:48 PM
Fraser looked very good to me but on the other hand Vancouver were done by the time he started to play. Will be interesting to see if he gets more time on Friday. Or if MB sits and Oso starts in his place. Piatti and Poz look great together but we must have width; they and Oso are very similar layers and DeLeon, Delgado and Fraser too, in a way, maybe even loop Bradley in with that group. Oso played well I thought, particularly important before Poz and Piatti really got going. A friend suggested to solve our crowded midfield with a 3-4-3 - not quite sure who he meant where but interesting to ponder.