PDA

View Full Version : MLS Is Continuing - Post MLS

OgtheDim
08-06-2020, 04:45 PM
https://twitter.com/PaulTenorio/status/1291453277515718657

Loyal
08-06-2020, 04:58 PM
Are the trying to outdo MLB for stupidity?

No chance of a travelling schedule working no matter how they frame it

ensco
08-06-2020, 05:26 PM
They pushed me personally to the breaking point by holding a tournament in a pandemic hotspot.

I know of no way to express disapproval other than to stop watching games. Stop reading about them. Stop participating in MLS life.

If they do this, that is what I will do.

They will run their business, the customers will make their choices.

magmadragon
08-06-2020, 07:56 PM
I can't believe they actually want to travel around. Did they learn nothing?

Red CB Toronto
08-06-2020, 08:51 PM
https://twitter.com/PaulTenorio/status/1291453277515718657

‘The big disapproval Of this will be no one going, buying tickets. I will be be interested to see the turnout. Indy 11 in a reduced capacity situation had over 4K at some of their games since the USL restart.

eustacchio
08-07-2020, 06:46 AM
Ridiculous.

On top of everything else that's wrong with this, where would the Canadian teams play?

leafsman
08-07-2020, 08:37 AM
so stupid, why do they think it will be any different than baseball?

OgtheDim
08-07-2020, 09:43 AM
‘The big disapproval Of this will be no one going, buying tickets. I will be be interested to see the turnout. Indy 11 in a reduced capacity situation had over 4K at some of their games since the USL restart.

Just because there are 4K of stupid people in Indy doesn't mean its a good idea.

I'm pretty darn sure you could get 10K of people to see a Leafs game in the ACC (I refuse to call it the new name) this weekend. Doesn't mean its a good idea.

Richard
08-07-2020, 09:51 AM
Wow the Darwin award this year is going to be fiercely contested.

Now if these people could be removed from the gene pool without taking innocents with them.

OgtheDim
08-07-2020, 11:56 AM
Here's the stat page I follow about crowd sizes

https://twitter.com/imgrund/status/1291727069102186497/photo/3

Smokecell
08-08-2020, 10:59 AM
It’s like they sat at a poker table, saw the MLBs plan and raised it fans in the stands. Except in this case the chips are players well-being.

What an idiotic plan if this is indeed it.

Oldtimer
08-08-2020, 06:13 PM
Wow the Darwin award this year is going to be fiercely contested.

Now if these people could be removed from the gene pool without taking innocents with them.

Unfortunately they'll spread it to the rest of the population, because of course they don't wear masks either.

Oldtimer
08-08-2020, 06:20 PM
They pushed me personally to the breaking point by holding a tournament in a pandemic hotspot.

I know of no way to express disapproval other than to stop watching games. Stop reading about them. Stop participating in MLS life.

If they do this, that is what I will do.

They will run their business, the customers will make their choices.

I just felt upset about the whole idea and found that I couldn't get into the COVID Cup. Glad nobody has died or had serious repercussions so far. That still doesn't mean it was a good idea.
Trying to hold regular games with crowds is a step beyond that, sheer lunacy given the terrifying situation in the US right now.

PaceyWinger
08-08-2020, 08:30 PM
The amazing thing about this is they still haven't figured out how this will work for Canadian teams (small details).. and that Dallas announced they would have 5000 fans for their first game back. Our gov't is bound to like this new approach right?

Red CB Toronto
08-08-2020, 08:53 PM
Wonder what’s holding up things up, it can not be the first six games between the Reds, Caps and Impact? It must be the next 12 and where the Reds may play in the US? I do wonder if need be if the Reds could end up playing 9 games each against the Canadian teams? Dallas and Nashville are playing each other 3 times to make up missing the COVID Cup. Lots of moving parts here.

wynne
08-09-2020, 12:16 AM
Wonder what’s holding up things up, it can not be the first six games between the Reds, Caps and Impact? It must be the next 12 and where the Reds may play in the US? I do wonder if need be if the Reds could end up playing 9 games each against the Canadian teams? Dallas and Nashville are playing each other 3 times to make up missing the COVID Cup. Lots of moving parts here.
Phase 1 for TFC is pretty much set, 3 home games at BMO, only playing Vancouver and Montreal. After that, it’s up in the air. They might be looking at a Jays predicament, playing their home games somewhere in the States unfortunately.

Bushmancan
08-09-2020, 04:51 PM
Phase 1 for TFC is pretty much set, 3 home games at BMO, only playing Vancouver and Montreal. After that, it’s up in the air. They might be looking at a Jays predicament, playing their home games somewhere in the States unfortunately.

How do you play at BMO if the NHL is using the facilities into September?

nfitz
08-09-2020, 05:05 PM
They can't stay out for 4 hours once a week or so?

PaceyWinger
08-09-2020, 05:59 PM
I would imagine one major issue is about cleaning facilities that are being used by other groups not in the MLS bubble. I don't know the specific details but the NHL has probably paid for use of the facilities until the league moves to Edmonton later in the playoffs.

Red CB Toronto
08-09-2020, 10:15 PM
https://twitter.com/TorontoFC/status/1292578768301817856

"We're working in real time to get approval for our Canadian clubs to resume training and have the three clubs play against each other north of the border."Hear from @thesoccerdon (https://twitter.com/thesoccerdon)
as @MLS (https://twitter.com/MLS)
works on a return to play scenario within Canada

OgtheDim
08-10-2020, 07:08 AM
Rumours running around that we are to play our "home games" for the US teams at RB Arena in Jersey.

Team is still in quarantine from coming back from Florida until tomorrow.

OgtheDim
08-10-2020, 07:10 AM

They have been already

NHL teams not using TFC facilities (incuding home & away & ref dressing rooms) & have prescribed footwear on the pitch

BendItLikeGio
08-10-2020, 08:29 AM
This quarantine is the most stupidest thing happening. After players go through that, they are gonna be like fuck this travelling if i have to lock myself up again for 14 days even if healthy and been tested negative a bunch of times -_-.

Rumours running around that we are to play our "home games" for the US teams at RB Arena in Jersey.

Team is still in quarantine from coming back from Florida until tomorrow.

OgtheDim
08-12-2020, 08:26 PM
So Dallas vs Nashville

Turned on to see if it might be decent

Saw fans in the stands

Immediately turned it off

I'm not into snuff films.

Will not watch any game in North America with fans in the stands.

IF somehow this happens at a game involving TFC, will not watch.

A note to the masses on here:

If there is a TFC game where fans will be present, I will not start a game thread & will not participate in one. I will in no way support the willfull placement of people into such dangers for the sake of greed. Others may start a thread - I will ignore those games.

Auzzy
08-12-2020, 10:04 PM
So Dallas vs Nashville

Turned on to see if it might be decent

Saw fans in the stands

Immediately turned it off

I'm not into snuff films.

Will not watch any game in North America with fans in the stands.

IF somehow this happens at a game involving TFC, will not watch.

A note to the masses on here:

If there is a TFC game where fans will be present, I will not start a game thread & will not participate in one. I will in no way support the willfull placement of people into such dangers for the sake of greed. Others may start a thread - I will ignore those games.

To those that might say "no biggie" about the game with fans in Dallas: if it was "no biggie" then they probably wouldn't be forcing fans to sign a COVID waiver before attending. But what I'm wondering about: if fans get infected at the stadium, and as a result infect others outside of the stadium: can those other folks sue the club and/or MLS... What happens in Dallas, doesn't stay in Dallas.

https://twitter.com/byIanThomas/status/1293681842269429769?s=20

PaceyWinger
08-12-2020, 10:25 PM
To those that might say "no biggie" about the game with fans in Dallas: if it was "no biggie" then they probably wouldn't be forcing fans to sign a COVID waiver before attending. But what I'm wondering about: if fans get infected at the stadium, and as a result infect others outside of the stadium: can those other folks sue the club and/or MLS... What happens in Dallas, doesn't stay in Dallas.

https://twitter.com/byIanThomas/status/1293681842269429769?s=20

Exactly. The same infected dipshit at this game is going to definitely go to a bar somewhere and what happens if you are the server who has to work or lose your apartment? We can't crucify people for getting sick - it can happen to anyone with some bad luck, but this seems like going out of the way to risk it all for somebody else who won't get the choice.

Defoe
08-13-2020, 01:09 AM
The season is back on? Are these friendly matches? I’m so confused

PaceyWinger
08-13-2020, 07:43 AM
ESPN: Fans boo players who took a knee before Dallas vs. Nashville in MLS.
https://www.espn.com/soccer/fc-dallas/story/4158666/fans-boo-players-who-took-a-knee-before-dallas-vs-nashville-in-mls

Another draw back for having fans in covid hotspots in the stands I guess.

PaceyWinger
08-13-2020, 08:02 AM
Also for reference: Dallas had 234 new cases yesterday. They've had 55,000 cases in Dallas county alone. Thats 15,000 more than we've had in our entire province. For reference Toronto is in the 5-20 range at this point for new daily cases. This is the environment that they chose to let fans back into the stands.

eustacchio
08-13-2020, 12:10 PM
ESPN: Fans boo players who took a knee before Dallas vs. Nashville in MLS.
https://www.espn.com/soccer/fc-dallas/story/4158666/fans-boo-players-who-took-a-knee-before-dallas-vs-nashville-in-mls

Another draw back for having fans in covid hotspots in the stands I guess.

yeah - I feel like that Venn diagram is a complete circle.

OgtheDim
08-13-2020, 04:13 PM
Eff them Fire Fans

&

Eff Dallas FC for playing the anthem when players asked it not to be played

https://twitter.com/BPCMLS/status/1294013991862153219

If you click into twitter and see the quoted tweets in that thread, they are vile idiocy & show how much BLM is needed.

OgtheDim
08-13-2020, 04:20 PM
And here we go with a VERY interesting wrinkle to the Canadian MLS bit coming up

In addition to the Canadian MLS home matches being part of the MLS regular season standings, the Canadian team that earns the most points against the other Canadian clubs during this first phase of the revised regular season schedule in home markets will qualify for the 2020 Canadian Championship Final. The Canadian Championship Final will be a one-match winner take all Final against the winner of the eight-team Canadian Premier League Island Games. The winner of Canada’s Battle of the North will lift the Voyageurs Cup and qualify for the next edition of Concacaf Champions League.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/08/13/major-league-soccer-announces-schedule-canadian-teams

i.e. This is our Voyageur's people

OgtheDim
08-13-2020, 04:25 PM
https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2020/08/13/toronto-fc-set-continue-mls-regular-season

OgtheDim
08-13-2020, 04:38 PM
The schedule (has to be imbalanced home & away due to 3 teams)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EfVJH1GXsAI3Me7?format=jpg&name=small

Auzzy
08-13-2020, 04:38 PM
TFC & Vancouver clearly state on their websites, that there will be no fans in their stadiums for these games between the Cdn teams. I couldn’t find that mentioned in the article about these games on the Montréal Impact website. Quebec has generally been much less careful about COVID-19, I wonder if they might allow fans? Argh...

OgtheDim
08-13-2020, 04:41 PM
Game thread up

benito
08-13-2020, 04:50 PM
TFC & Vancouver clearly state on their websites, that there will be no fans in their stadiums for these games between the Cdn teams. I couldn’t find that mentioned in the article about these games on the Montréal Impact website. Quebec has generally been much less careful about COVID-19, I wonder if they might allow fans? Argh...

On August 5, 2020, the Québec government announced the lifting of the cancellation of festivals and events in all regions of Québec. The promoters of festivals and events can resume their activities, if they comply with the following directives:

- entrances and exits must be constantly controlled to ensure a maximum of 250 people on outdoor sites;
- measures must be adopted to maintain 2 metres between participants who do not live at the same address;

https://www.quebec.ca/en/health/health-issues/a-z/2019-coronavirus/festivals-cultural-sporting-events-covid19/

I can't see them allowing fans however. The PR would be really bad and it would generate practically no revenue.

red-o
08-13-2020, 06:29 PM

Cool - I wonder if we'll need 3 Canadian Starters?

OgtheDim
08-13-2020, 06:42 PM
Cool - I wonder if we'll need 3 Canadian Starters?

Nope - MLS rules

Might if we make it to the final against the CPL team

michaeltfc91
08-13-2020, 08:48 PM
Eff them Fire Fans

&

Eff Dallas FC for playing the anthem when players asked it not to be played

https://twitter.com/BPCMLS/status/1294013991862153219

If you click into twitter and see the quoted tweets in that thread, they are vile idiocy & show how much BLM is needed.
Post removed -Jack

PaceyWinger
08-13-2020, 10:28 PM
Post removed -Jack

nope

Auzzy
08-13-2020, 10:46 PM
Post removed -Jack

You don’t know WTF you are talking about, so just stop. Black Lives Matter is the position of multiple sports leagues including MLS and NBA. Don’t like that? Either inform yourself, or GTFO.

Red CB Toronto
08-13-2020, 11:37 PM

If Montreal does, I will be a Saputo, that is my choice, that is my freedom.

Blindside16
08-14-2020, 12:23 AM
And here we go with a VERY interesting wrinkle to the Canadian MLS bit coming up

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/08/13/major-league-soccer-announces-schedule-canadian-teams

That wrinkle actually makes me a bit more nervous than trying to qualify over Vancouver or Montreal in the regular season. Barring a surprise it will probably be Forge FC that wins the CPL and they have a pretty decent squad. I worry that if we make it to the final we run the risk of taking them too lightly. Anything can happen in a 1 game playoff

BendItLikeGio
08-14-2020, 07:04 AM
CPL Island Games Champ vs MLS team with the most points after this phase 1 games.

It will be a 1 off game for the Canadian Cup and Concacaf Spot

Nope - MLS rules

Might if we make it to the final against the CPL team

Ben - D.O.W.
08-14-2020, 07:27 AM
Post removed -Jack

Please cite your sources - what people have BLM murdered? Also, it needs to be not a link to Fox News. Otherwise take this bullshit somewhere else.

magmadragon
08-14-2020, 08:56 AM
Post removed -Jack

Fuck off

Redpunkfiddle
08-14-2020, 10:46 AM
Its lies like this (which I won't quote) that just go to show that there is work to be done, everywhere, to stamp out racism.

BendItLikeGio
08-14-2020, 01:52 PM
Michael, these comments are not welcomed on the forum. you have been warned.

Post removed -Jack

OgtheDim
08-20-2020, 09:48 AM
FYI

NYRB vs NYCFC derby tonight

No fans allowed

Columbus hosting Chicago

No fans allowed

Future games likely to change in Ohio

Redpunkfiddle
08-20-2020, 03:38 PM
Montreal allowing the 250 maximum attendance under their current regulations at their games

https://twitter.com/tristandamours/status/1296490667225554944

Red CB Toronto
08-20-2020, 04:57 PM
Montreal allowing the 250 maximum attendance under their current regulations at their games

https://twitter.com/tristandamours/status/1296490667225554944

$225 ticket apparently.

OgtheDim
08-22-2020, 05:51 PM
A few derbies tonight

El Traffico

&

The Florida thing

&

The Rocky Mountain Cup

Also Atlanta @ Nasvhille

Red CB Toronto
08-22-2020, 06:19 PM
A few derbies tonight

El Traffico

&

The Florida thing

&

The Rocky Mountain Cup

Also Atlanta @ Nasvhille

Galaxy up at the half 1-0, pretty even so far. Have to expect LAFC to really bring it in the 2nd half.

Lil'John
08-22-2020, 09:27 PM
Interesting watching Jonathan David's debut for Lille today (he barely touched a ball and got subbed off, but that's another story...) with 5000 fans allowed (in a 50,000 seater stadium). Mask wearing seemed to be 100% and most of crowed clearly spread out. I'm not saying we should do it, but we should at least consider something similar. The Swiss League goes to 50% capacity on October 1.

rydermike
08-23-2020, 08:16 AM
Interesting watching Jonathan David's debut for Lille today (he barely touched a ball and got subbed off, but that's another story...) with 5000 fans allowed (in a 50,000 seater stadium). Mask wearing seemed to be 100% and most of crowed clearly spread out. I'm not saying we should do it, but we should at least consider something similar. The Swiss League goes to 50% capacity on October 1.

Schools are reopening in a couple of weeks. Let's see how that goes first. Many believe that will be the rise of the second wave. If schools reopen without issue, then we can consider opening up stadiums, but more than likely we will see a spike when schools open.

Also, for the record, some will try to compare "children" with "responsible adults" (not saying you are one of those, but I have seen others online, so I'm writing this before someone tries to give me this as an excuse), I actually trust the children more than adults because children are more likely to follow rules, meanwhile some adults are far more likely to be of the "you can't tell me what to do mentality". With regards to mask wearing being 100% in the Lille game, we're not France. While our population seems to be a lot better than the USA, I've seen far too many videos and even some in-person situations of "adults vocally refusing to wear masks" so could forsee that occurring here. Keep the stadiums closed for the time being. I miss going to games as much as the next fan, but when we say "TFC till I die", I want that to mean another 30-70 years for us all, not 30-70 days for some.

Oldtimer
08-23-2020, 08:30 AM
Schools are reopening in a couple of weeks. Let's see how that goes first. Many believe that will be the rise of the second wave. If schools reopen without issue, then we can consider opening up stadiums, but more than likely we will see a spike when schools open.

There's already an uptick in Ontario and a steep spike in B.C. before even the schools reopen. Some say it's people throwing parties and BBQs, others say its bars and gyms. Whatever it is, it seems like a second wave is almost inevitable. You just have to look at Australia to see what can happen.

Auzzy
08-23-2020, 09:11 AM
Right now I show my love for people and teams by staying away from them. I know I'm lucky that we can afford it, but I keep my seasons tickets on account with TFC; I pay for a TSN Live subscription to watch the games; I purchase 50-50 tickets to support TFC's charities; I scream loudly during the games so my family and neighbours can hear; I wear my gear around town; I support local restaurants, businesses and charities that are strained under the pandemic.

And I just decided not to travel to Germany for my mom's funeral in September: not worth the risk; Germany & Frankfurt are spiking; and too awkward seeing and staying with family, while supposedly physically distancing. She passed away in April, probably from COVID, but we could not get her tested, so she's not counted in Germany's stats. There are bigger problems than watching footy games on TV instead of in a stadium.

CBTFC
08-23-2020, 06:03 PM
Portland vs Seattle tonight should be a cracker!