PDA

View Full Version : MLS suspending season for 30 days !!!

denime
03-12-2020, 11:01 AM
MLS suspending season for 30 days

(https://www.tsn.ca/mls-suspending-season-for-30-days-1.1456550) (https://www.tsn.ca/mls-suspending-season-for-30-days-1.1456550)MLS suspending season due to coronavirus: Reports (https://torontosun.com/sports/soccer/mls/toronto-fc/tfc-cancel-practice-await-word-from-mls-on-saturdays-match)

Toronto FC cancels practice, awaits word from MLS amid coronavirus concerns (http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/1023414648?-48444:6206)

SPALE
03-12-2020, 11:04 AM
I guess MLS just put a statement out saying league will be suspended for 30 day. Good and bad I guess. Couldn’t wait for the season to start but. I guess it’s for the best

samuraizero
03-12-2020, 12:09 PM
Any news on whats happening with games scheduled in this time? There's no way they can cram them into an already packed schedule.

Will we be getting refunds for missed games? (doubt)

ensco
03-12-2020, 12:11 PM
Time to resuscitate the book recommendation thread from a few years back.

MightyDM
03-12-2020, 12:15 PM
Time to resuscitate the book recommendation thread from a few years back.

My wife is reading Cathal Kelly's boy wonder and is laughing out loud. And she doesnt even really like sports.

fergiejr
03-12-2020, 12:26 PM
Any news on whats happening with games scheduled in this time? There's no way they can cram them into an already packed schedule.

Will we be getting refunds for missed games? (doubt)

Possibly eliminate the international breaks. Also, we have gone to an MLS cup in December, we can go there again.

It's gonna be tight for sure.

GerMc
03-12-2020, 12:37 PM
Well, this gives Piatti a little more time to recover!

MKR
03-12-2020, 12:37 PM
my guess is they'll do a reduced schedule similar to what the NBA did when they had a shortened strike season.

pfk
03-12-2020, 01:02 PM
Well, we were undefeated in 2020. So that's something.

Keep safe guys and gals!

Auzzy
03-12-2020, 01:11 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJUhlRoBL8M

Red I
03-12-2020, 01:11 PM
I can't believe all the groaning I did when I heard Piatti will take 4 weeks to come into the squad. Dude might miss a total of 1 game lol. Hey man, 1 month closer to Bradley's return.

Hoping life goes back to normal soon!

Red CB Toronto
03-12-2020, 01:15 PM
This is the right choice in every way. What happens if someone sold their tickets on the exchange and transfered the tickets to the buyer, who gets the official refund, the season ticket holder or the person whose account the tickets are in? The price someone paid could/would be much higher than the season ticket price thus would be officially refunded.

MightyDM
03-12-2020, 01:35 PM
Nothing has been said re refunds.

OgtheDim
03-12-2020, 01:53 PM
The most amount of people browsing this particular part of the forum in YEARS..

Cas87
03-12-2020, 02:08 PM
I feel like this will be something that drags all the way through the year.
From hearing all the different projections by medical professionals both here and in the states, they are pretty much putting the thought forward that everyone should expect everything to be cancelled (not postponed) as we get closer to the summer months.
Who knows, we may see the first time ever that no League championships are awarded in North America.

Oldtimer
03-12-2020, 03:16 PM
This is the right choice in every way. What happens if someone sold their tickets on the exchange and transfered the tickets to the buyer, who gets the official refund, the season ticket holder or the person whose account the tickets are in? The price someone paid could/would be much higher than the season ticket price thus would be officially refunded.

No refunds yet, they are hoping to play the games at a later date.

Globetrotter
03-12-2020, 04:36 PM

And Bradley.

benito
03-12-2020, 04:38 PM

I actually sold my tickets via ticketmaster earlier in the week for this weekend's game. It will be interested to see what happens.

glaze
03-12-2020, 09:07 PM
This has been poorly handled by everyone.
Postponing 100% is correct decision, but this didnt just show up Monday.
Like to drop all the sports news, plus Trumps travel ban etc. People are in a full panic. Italy has had cases for weeks. We knew it was coming. Season should have been a postponed start to begin with.

Auzzy
03-12-2020, 09:36 PM
I haven't read details, but it's amazing how well South Korea did relative to others: make tough decisions early. "Flatten the curve" of infections in order to not overwhelm both public health and hospitals. Plus when you have a more manageable number of infections, and a huge number of people tested quickly, it's easier to keep those people away from the vulnerable population. I think Canada actually did pretty well, partly luck and partly planning & decisions. But we're going to get absolutely hammered via the States. Build a Wall & Make Trump Pay For It! (Probably should also evict those dirty Americans, like me.)

OgtheDim
03-12-2020, 10:23 PM
FWIW - MLS announced all team practices halted until at least Monday - to get safeguards in place at all facilities.

Oldtimer
03-13-2020, 09:56 AM
I actually sold my tickets via ticketmaster earlier in the week for this weekend's game. It will be interested to see what happens.

Games are postponed at this point, not cancelled, so tickets will be good for the later date. If they end up cancelling games or playing games in empty stadiums that will change. It could end up being a very economical season for SSHs.

OgtheDim
03-13-2020, 02:26 PM
Confirmation that tickets will be honoured for the games when later played

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/03/12/tickets-postponed-mls-games-will-be-honored-rescheduled-contests

Redcoe15
03-13-2020, 05:41 PM
I had been thinking about flying to Chicago late July, early August for the Reds' away game against the Fire at Soldier Field. But I have no idea how this thing's going to unfold by then.

Red CB Toronto
03-13-2020, 06:24 PM
Confirmation that tickets will be honoured for the games when later played

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/03/12/tickets-postponed-mls-games-will-be-honored-rescheduled-contests

A friend of mine who is Florida and had MLS tickets for both Miami and Orlando over the next couple weeks was able to get a full refund on the spot. He is now flying home tomorrow.

Red CB Toronto
03-15-2020, 08:02 PM
I miss my TFC and RPB already. It really shows how big a part of my life it plays. Looks like we will be sitting out longer than expected. The CDC has issued a recommendation tonight that there should be no gathers of more than 50 people in the US for the next eight weeks.

glaze
03-15-2020, 08:23 PM
For TFC this isnt a huge deal. Just in terms of we would still have june to october. Likely reduced sched.
But if im an nhl or nba fan I'd be worried. They may just call off season.

Red CB Toronto
03-15-2020, 08:45 PM
For TFC this isnt a huge deal. Just in terms of we would still have june to october. Likely reduced sched.
But if im an nhl or nba fan I'd be worried. They may just call off season.

I wonder if they would go all out with week day games too, playing a whole bunch of Wednesdays. The VCup and Leagues Cup also are there. I figure a TFCII type squad could fill in for the Leagues Cup.

OgtheDim
03-15-2020, 08:55 PM
Half the season was going to be done by the end of May. I suspect if we somehow start in June (and I have my doubts about that), that MLS will go with a 24 total game season. They might void the first 2 games and try to play within conference only.

On another note, anybody else log in here just to see how long it would take to see the next post?

fergiejr
03-16-2020, 09:05 AM
On another note, anybody else log in here just to see how long it would take to see the next post?

I keep refreshing the page.

Heard yesteday on Twitter that the US gov is recommending 2 months of no crowds greater than 50 people. I don't have the tweet or the source, so take that as what it is. Would this mean closed door games to get them underway?

For NHL and NBA, yeah, those seasons are likely done. Might come back to playoffs. No one will be in game shape though.

Oldtimer
03-16-2020, 09:46 AM
CDC is asking leagues to shut down for 8 weeks! No way MLS doesn't cut games or play empty stadium games.

Sportsnet.ca: New CDC recommendation gives rough timeline for earliest sports could resume.
https://www.sportsnet.ca/more/new-cdc-recommendation-gives-rough-timeline-earliest-sports-resume/

Red CB Toronto
03-16-2020, 11:19 AM

Heard yesteday on Twitter that the US gov is recommending 2 months of no crowds greater than 50 people. I don't have the tweet or the source, so take that as what it is. Would this mean closed door games to get them underway?

For NHL and NBA, yeah, those seasons are likely done. Might come back to playoffs. No one will be in game shape though.

It was a CDC recommendation, at least two months of now crowds of more than 50 people. I do not see any sports with that until at least June. The 50 person thing will complicated things as even in a close door setting you need people for setup, etc. Even the rosters and coaching staffs of two teams would exceed that.

Red CB Toronto
03-16-2020, 11:23 AM
CDC is asking leagues to shut down for 8 weeks! No way MLS doesn't cut games or play empty stadium games.

Sportsnet.ca: New CDC recommendation gives rough timeline for earliest sports could resume.
https://www.sportsnet.ca/more/new-cdc-recommendation-gives-rough-timeline-earliest-sports-resume/

I think if it gets to the point of the NBA/NHL trying to play in empty arenas/smaller venues will we see most sports have to. Cutting games will likely be a reality at some point. In reading reports from ESPN the NBA is already looking at the logistics of it just to crown a champion. What form that playoffs take is yet to be seen. MLS is no different.

Auzzy
03-16-2020, 04:46 PM
Crazy days indeed, hang in there everybody! Maybe re-watch the two-part Toronto - Montreal playoff series.

And for god's sake:

https://twitter.com/studiopanjer/status/1238931042293166081

James17930
03-16-2020, 06:13 PM
Out of all the leagues, I think MLS will end up coming out of this the best given that we had just started the season, meaning we have the most time to make things up later.

I really wonder the European leagues, though. It would be dumb IMO to just void the season; they can make some sort of playoff or something.

Red CB Toronto
03-16-2020, 07:25 PM
Crazy days indeed, hang in there everybody! Maybe re-watch the two-part Toronto - Montreal playoff series.

And for god's sake:

https://twitter.com/studiopanjer/status/1238931042293166081

Yep, got my MLS Cup DVD ready to go !!

TFC1986
03-16-2020, 09:27 PM
I think NFL will come out the best :)

Out of all the leagues, I think MLS will end up coming out of this the best given that we had just started the season, meaning we have the most time to make things up later.

I really wonder the European leagues, though. It would be dumb IMO to just void the season; they can make some sort of playoff or something.

Ponderosa
03-17-2020, 10:01 AM
Yep, got my MLS Cup DVD ready to go !!

Yeah that though occurred to me over the weekend and I pulled my set out - only to remember I sold my DVD player at the garage sale last summer :facepalm:

Derko
03-17-2020, 11:28 AM
Wondering how the progress of our injuries is coming along :scarf:

Bushmancan
03-17-2020, 11:58 AM

I have to be honest craving sports so much right now, i would gladly watch empty stadium football.

TFC1986
03-17-2020, 01:04 PM
AEW wrestling and AFL still on in next 48 hours

OgtheDim
03-17-2020, 09:28 PM
AFL being played still is mindblowing - that sport already reduces the average lifespan of a player by 20 years or so. The TV bosses have spoken, it seems.

The estimates about how long this goes on keep getting stretched. All we can do is take it one day at a time.

Oldtimer
03-18-2020, 04:09 PM
AFL being played still is mindblowing - that sport already reduces the average lifespan of a player by 20 years or so. The TV bosses have spoken, it seems.

The estimates about how long this goes on keep getting stretched. All we can do is take it one day at a time.

Players wanted it per this article. They are closed doors games, but still...

https://www.bbc.com/sport/51948907

Redcoe15
03-18-2020, 05:19 PM
Wasn't sure if AFL meant Australian Football League, or Arena Football League.

WestStandGeoff
03-19-2020, 10:40 AM
And now suspended until (at least) May 10th...

https://www.tsn.ca/major-league-soccer-targets-may-10-return-date-1.1458845

Joe Kool
03-19-2020, 01:48 PM
And now suspended until (at least) May 10th...

https://www.tsn.ca/major-league-soccer-targets-may-10-return-date-1.1458845

Yeah got the email from TFC today. Writing was on the wall already with the ruling already out there for 8 week ban on events so we all knew it was coming but now it is official from the club.

ensco
03-19-2020, 02:46 PM
"....with May 10 as a targeted return date."

I don't agree with what MLS is doing here. In fact, this is just terrible.

Right now there is a major issue with people not taking this seriously enough. MLS are just contributing to that by acting as though an endgame is in sight (which, btw, the NBA, NHL and MLB are not doing)

The US curve of daily new cases (scroll down to see it here ) is quite frightening.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Canada's curve is no better. This thing is not getting better, or anywhere close to under control.
https://art-bd.shinyapps.io/covid19canada/

We are still in the max containment phase. Anything that distracts from that, or somehow enables people to get ready to move on... IS BAD. IT MAKES THIS PHASE LONGER AND MORE DEADLY. The end is not in sight.

Plus this is pointless kabuki. The relevant authorities own this issue. Not the leagues or teams.

Luanda
03-19-2020, 10:24 PM
"....with May 10 as a targeted return date."

I don't agree with what MLS is doing here. In fact, this is just terrible.

Right now there is a major issue with people not taking this seriously enough. MLS are just contributing to that by acting as though an endgame is in sight (which, btw, the NBA, NHL and MLB are not doing)

The US curve of daily new cases (scroll down to see it here ) is quite frightening.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Canada's curve is no better. This thing is not getting better, or anywhere close to under control.
https://art-bd.shinyapps.io/covid19canada/

We are still in the max containment phase. Anything that distracts from that, or somehow enables people to get ready to move on... IS BAD. IT MAKES THIS PHASE LONGER AND MORE DEADLY. The end is not in sight.

Plus this is pointless kabuki. The relevant authorities own this issue. Not the leagues or teams.

Ensco et al: Few people understand how pandemics develop and long they take to pan out. If you take the case of China, with all of their draconian steps, it took at least 3 months BEFORE intra-community cases of contamination seem to have stopped. Italy and Spain will be longer. The US ... who knows, having responded in such a non-challant fashion.
So for any sports league in North America (or anywhere else), to say that the cancellation of games will continue until XXX is completely irresponsible and points to an end to the problem at a date when it will not happen - a false sense of security.
This virus is darn serious because of its contagious capacity. The Red Patch Boys, TCF, MLS, and everyone else should really respect the damage that COVID 19 can do. And I am not thinking economics here.
STAY HOME and STAY HEALTHY!

OgtheDim
03-20-2020, 01:35 PM
I agree with those last two posts.

Just to add:

There are teams in this league that would have problems with cash flow if they have to pay back season tickets. One reason is you can't count on some billionaires still being billionaires in a few months. Not sure if teams will go under at this level - but teams will lower down, I am certain.

MightyDM
03-20-2020, 03:39 PM
I agree with those last two posts.

Just to add:

There are teams in this league that would have problems with cash flow if they have to pay back season tickets. One reason is you can't count on some billionaires still being billionaires in a few months. Not sure if teams will go under at this level - but teams will lower down, I am certain.

I love TFC. Have been there since the beginning. Almost every home game, lots of road games. But it's just not important right now. Not even sure when it comes back how I will feel.

And I agree with the above posts - the leagues just need to say: "we'll come back when the authorities say it is safe to do so. In the meantime please follow their direction like we are."

And if the billionaires aren't billionaires then, so be it. Maybe they will now appreciate why people need full time jobs, pensions, sick leave etc.

ManUtd4ever
03-25-2020, 11:06 AM
Hope everyone is well and staying safe. Hopefully we can get back to the good things in life sooner rather than later.

OgtheDim
03-31-2020, 03:48 PM
City of Toronto banning public events until the end of June.

No TFC for sure until July

As Tenorio pointed out, this is the first MLS city saying the shutdown (not yet a lockdown) will go into the summer.

Red CB Toronto
03-31-2020, 03:59 PM

As Tenorio pointed out, this is the first MLS city saying the shutdown (not yet a lockdown) will go into the summer.

I kind of wonder what any league will do if they have few teams, 1 or 2 saying they can not play, what happens if others are allowed to proceed in some way? Is it everyone or no-one approach for a league?

TFC1986
03-31-2020, 11:15 PM
This season should just be scrapped.
North America governments didn't take this seriously enough. To inform citizens. Or even help China back in January.
Even I didn't last month realized how bad it was, until it was too late.

Auzzy
04-01-2020, 02:45 AM
This season should just be scrapped.
North America governments didn't take this seriously enough. To inform citizens. Or even help China back in January.
Even I didn't last month realized how bad it was, until it was too late.

You're right, but not just North America. Almost no western countries took it seriously enough. And you can see what an impact sports can have in that situation: a single Champions League match between Atlanta and Venezia, likely played a huge role in the incredibly deadly outbreak in the Bergamo/Lombardy region of Italy (in addition to undetected infection being spread in the local hospital). https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/03/26/sports/soccer-match-italy-linked-epicenter-deadly-coronavirus-outbreak/

And the US continues to be such an unbelievable shitshow. Many states still don't have any significant shutdowns in place. The Mango Twittler is redefining up to 200,000 dead as "success." (That would be 4 times the US deaths during the whole Vietnam war.) The situation in the US is going to have a massive indirect impact on Canada, and of course also on all our shared sports leagues.

Derko
04-01-2020, 11:23 AM
Just scrap the MLS season

BendItLikeGio
04-01-2020, 03:54 PM
No Public events, doesn't mean the games cant be done behind closed doors. But yeah season looks unlikely.

gmacpheetfc
04-04-2020, 03:15 PM
toronto montreal and vancouver should play in the CPL if we get through this in decent shape by july.

Border with US will be closed for a while...

ensco
04-09-2020, 08:09 AM
A very respected columnist is saying "let's get real, no sports until 2021"

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2020-04-08/column-it-looks-like-sports-could-be-in-a-timeout-until-2021

Joe Kool
04-09-2020, 03:18 PM
A very respected columnist is saying "let's get real, no sports until 2021"

Seriously though, I can't see the league coming back this season. Any notion to say we are back to normal days in 2020 and watching MLS games is a bit of a stretch in my opinion.

Oldtimer
04-10-2020, 09:53 AM
Here's what's going on in Germany.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/08/sports/germany-soccer-coronavirus.html

Oldtimer
04-13-2020, 06:48 PM
Don Garber update with current ideas:

https://mobile.twitter.com/TSNSoccer/status/1249835802873466880

samuraizero
05-28-2020, 11:46 AM
Any newer updates floating around? I'm ready for a partial refund here

Oldtimer
05-30-2020, 08:36 PM
Any newer updates floating around? I'm ready for a partial refund here

No word from the league yet, except for a proposed mini-tournament in Orlando.

flambe
07-10-2020, 10:24 AM
Already got my refund for the Leafs, no word on TFC yet. What's taking so long, it's pretty obvious we aren't getting in BMO to watch a game this year.

Joe Kool
07-10-2020, 11:25 AM
Already got my refund for the Leafs, no word on TFC yet. What's taking so long, it's pretty obvious we aren't getting in BMO to watch a game this year.

Yeah it is pretty ridiculous considering they were saying we would hear something in the "coming weeks" and that was a month ago.