PDA

View Full Version : 2020 General TFC/MLS Banter (no transfer/roster discussion)

Pages : [1] 2

Oldtimer
03-02-2020, 12:59 PM
This thread is a catch-all for general banter not specifically related to transfer rumours.

Blindside16
03-03-2020, 03:22 AM
Atlanta is in big trouble losing Martinez for most likely the season. They now have to lean on Barco and Pity for all their offense. Club America will likely bounce them from Champions League relatively easily. It will be interesting to see how they bounce back mentally from this.

ensco
03-03-2020, 08:27 AM
I wouldn't overdo the Atlanta handwringing.

They still have Pity Martinez. I don't know what happened to him last year, but he is probably still the biggest signing/talent in MLS history (when considering both age and pedigree), and this may free him to unlock his game.

Pity instantly becomes the one of the favourites to be MLS Player of the Year.

Yohan
03-03-2020, 08:43 AM
^not if Vela has another hot year

OgtheDim
03-03-2020, 09:12 AM
Based on what I've been seeing in CCL & in Nashville, I think Atlanta will be OK by the end of the season - not SS winners but top 3. Defence will take a couple of months to gel together but their attack is going to be a false 9 approach. Martinez is a poacher, a great one, so they will have to pass the ball around a bit more with a bit more patience. There is going to be some hand wringing from their fans for a few months but by June, I think they hit their stride again.

jabbronies
03-03-2020, 09:57 AM

They still have Pity Martinez. I don't know what happened to him last year, but he is probably still the biggest signing/talent in MLS history (when considering both age and pedigree), and this may free him to unlock his game.

Sometimes I feel like you say things as a way to gamble. You say the most outlandish things - if they come up being right, you look like a football genius, if not, you move on to the next thing.

Areathrasher
03-03-2020, 10:48 AM
If we are talking Argies winning MVP, I think it might be Pavon

ag futbol
03-03-2020, 11:44 AM

Barco is still on the upswing too. Took that goal quite well in the first game.

ensco
03-03-2020, 12:53 PM
Sometimes I feel like you say things as a way to gamble. You say the most outlandish things - if they come up being right, you look like a football genius, if not, you move on to the next thing.

I would say more that I enjoy trying to be colourful.

But you do realize that you have just called “outlandish” the idea that the most expensive player in MLS history may have a stellar year.

Bill Shankly
03-03-2020, 12:53 PM
Atlanta is in big trouble losing Martinez for most likely the season. They now have to lean on Barco and Pity for all their offense. Club America will likely bounce them from Champions League relatively easily. It will be interesting to see how they bounce back mentally from this.Hi Guys as my first post I would like to say if TFC stays healthy they are now the favourites for MLS cup sorry Atlanta

djking2
03-03-2020, 01:20 PM
Hi Guys as my first post I would like to say if TFC stays healthy they are now the favourites for MLS cup sorry Atlanta

Quickly log out and never come back. Trust me, you'll be happier for it.

jabbronies
03-03-2020, 01:24 PM
I would say more that I enjoy trying to be colourful.
But you do realize that you have just called “outlandish” the idea that the most expensive player in MLS history may have a stellar year.

Outlandish because it's based on the fact that Josef Martinez was blocking him from having that great season. I get the game plan was probably "Get the ball to Josef" but I find it hard to believe with less quality in the squad, "Get the ball to Pity" will be enough to to have not just a stellar year - but an MLS POTY year.

I think at best, we'll see Pity have a top 10, maybeeeee top 5 year during his MLS tenure.

MightyDM
03-03-2020, 03:22 PM
Quickly log out and never come back. Trust me, you'll be happier for it.

This is my favourite post ever. Wonderful

OgtheDim
03-04-2020, 04:12 PM
Corona update

LA health emergency not yet requiring closed door games

https://twitter.com/kbaxter11/status/1235309178983460880

James17930
03-04-2020, 10:20 PM
Hi Guys as my first post I would like to say if TFC stays healthy they are now the favourites for MLS cup sorry Atlanta

Don't listen to others - TFC is a great choice of club to support. Welcome aboard!

magmadragon
03-05-2020, 12:05 AM
Jozy hosting SportsCentre was funny.

ensco
03-05-2020, 10:10 AM

Altidore delivering Draw 12 highlights from the Brier was good value

James17930
03-06-2020, 05:28 AM

Hot take: he's already starting to plan his retirement, seeing if he'd be able to go into broadcasting after his playing days are done. And if he gets injured again before mid-season, he'll retire so we can use the DP slot for the second half.

sn0re
03-07-2020, 10:31 PM
Walked into BMO with Ford sign where the Sonnet sign used to be. Looks like they dropped Kia. I'm not surprised tho because of the Leafs. Maybe Raptors will follow suit

MikeForbes
03-07-2020, 11:48 PM
Cavalleni is gonna have a long season. Vancouver has no one to make plays.

Defoe
03-08-2020, 11:42 AM

I've said it before, but CAM (the creator or Pozuelo and Victor Vazquez position) is the most important in soccer/mls.

Without that special creative player driving the offence, it is so hard to make things happen.

Yes I think Cavalini will not get the service to score goals really limiting his production. Cavalini would have been a great fit for TFC...

ag futbol
03-08-2020, 12:18 PM
I had the same thought.

Too bad, cause the guy is a real wrecking ball out there. Player you hate to play against but love to have on your team.

I’m surprised they somehow got the result last night. Their team is pretty awful and the cheapness of ownership shows.

MikeForbes
03-08-2020, 02:06 PM
Anyone see Delgado call out Josh Kloke for being Liam Fraser's biggest fanboy on Twitter? Kind of deserved, to be honest. Kloke obviously has some ties to Fraser's family or agent with the way he constantly promotes him on Twitter and in his articles.

RealG-TFC
03-08-2020, 03:29 PM
Anyone see Delgado call out Josh Kloke for being Liam Fraser's biggest fanboy on Twitter? Kind of deserved, to be honest. Kloke obviously has some ties to Fraser's family or agent with the way he constantly promotes him on Twitter and in his articles.

Where did you see that?

MikeForbes
03-08-2020, 03:40 PM
Where did you see that?

https://twitter.com/MarkyDelgado/status/1236723822335791105?s=20

spe18
03-08-2020, 04:01 PM
My guess is this is something their German sporting director, who only started last November, and his team are continuing to look into as the season progresses, and with the secondary transfer window still to come.

I've said it before, but CAM (the creator or Pozuelo and Victor Vazquez position) is the most important in soccer/mls.

Without that special creative player driving the offence, it is so hard to make things happen.

Yes I think Cavalini will not get the service to score goals really limiting his production. Cavalini would have been a great fit for TFC...

I had the same thought.

Too bad, cause the guy is a real wrecking ball out there. Player you hate to play against but love to have on your team.

I’m surprised they somehow got the result last night. Their team is pretty awful and the cheapness of ownership shows.

James17930
03-08-2020, 10:01 PM
https://twitter.com/MarkyDelgado/status/1236723822335791105?s=20

Okay, so he wasn't criticizing Fraser, he was defending himself. That's fine, and he had a point. He did play a good game.

OgtheDim
03-09-2020, 08:37 PM
All major pro leagues active right now (i.e. not the NFL) close locker rooms to journos afterwards - will use mix zones & interview rooms.

If I as to game out how this is going to go down:

Saturday @ BMO goes ahead as planned

21st @ Cinci - behind closed doors

4th April @ Columbus- behind closed doors

11 April @ BMO - behind closed doors

15 April @ DCU - postponed

After that is just too far away to guess but if I had to, looking at China, I think we get games back by late May.

MLS is relying upon local officials and although stuff is happening in Ohio, I think it moves to "no crowds" time by then but not "Lock down the town" time. DC though is going to be in panic mode by the end of this month. I think we move in Toronto to "avoid crowds" by early April.

Edit - local officials in San Jose have just banned crowds of more then 1K. Next San Jose game is March 21st.

Red CB Toronto
03-09-2020, 10:07 PM
When health officials advised the Sharks do not play and they went ahead anyways, that said a lot of what the North American leagues are thinking. The women's world hockey championships which was suppose to take place in a few weeks in Nova Scotia has been cancelled. Can only take that as a sign of more to come considering where it was suppose to take place. There is so much conflicting messaging going on it the US right now that I am sure it confusing for some at times. You can only reply on local officials so much as at some point you are going to have to make a real decision for all on if and under what circumstances games will be played.

All major pro leagues active right now (i.e. not the NFL) close locker rooms to journos afterwards - will use mix zones & interview rooms.

If I as to game out how this is going to go down:

Saturday @ BMO goes ahead as planned

21st @ Cinci - behind closed doors

4th April @ Columbus- behind closed doors

11 April @ BMO - behind closed doors

15 April @ DCU - postponed

After that is just too far away to guess.

MLS is relying upon local officials and although stuff is happening in Ohio, I think it moves to "no crowds" time by then but not "Lock down the town" time. DC though is going to be in panic mode by the end of this month. I think we move to "avoid crowds" by early April.

Edit - local officials in San Jose have just banned crowds of more then 1K. Next San Jose game is March 21st.

OgtheDim
03-09-2020, 10:36 PM
The US's best health personnel & policy decision making is local now - they see where stuff is happening and are best able to make decisions locally. MLS is probably better to rely upon them. Garber knows better then to rely upon the US Feds right now for anything.

In Canada, health is a provincial matter constitutionally and they are best prepared to deal with this stuff on a local basis and provide guidance. The feds can only step in if they see outright incompetence and no official has shown that yet. The feds have asked for updates from all provinces as to plans. Travel bans to counties and from countries are federal jurisdiction but we are not likely to see a ban on travel to and from the US.

Leagues might make decisions - the NBA is heading there quicker then most - to shut down or take the crowds out of games - some of that will be union driven but a lot of it also driven by the avoidance of lawsuits. I could see pressure on Garber to make that call happening.

Red CB Toronto
03-09-2020, 11:03 PM
The US's best health personnel & policy decision making is local now - they see where stuff is happening and are best able to make decisions locally. MLS is probably better to rely upon them. Garber knows better then to rely upon the US Feds right now for anything.

In Canada, health is a provincial matter constitutionally and they are best prepared to deal with this stuff on a local basis and provide guidance. The feds can only step in if they see outright incompetence and no official has shown that yet. The feds have asked for updates from all provinces as to plans. Travel bans to counties and from countries are federal jurisdiction but we are not likely to see a ban on travel to and from the US.

Leagues might make decisions - the NBA is heading there quicker then most - to shut down or take the crowds out of games - some of that will be union driven but a lot of it also driven by the avoidance of lawsuits. I could see pressure on Garber to make that call happening.

I think we just got our first cancelling of some major league games in the US this evening with the banning of events of over 1,000 people for three weeks in Santa Clara county. The Sharks play on the 19th and the Quakes on the 21st. Will be interesting to see what happens with this game, maybe closed doors, we shall wait and see.
https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2020/03/09/santa-clara-county-health-officials-ban-gatherings-1000-confirm-first-bay-area-death-coronavirus/

notthesun
03-10-2020, 12:40 PM
https://twitter.com/Beezersun/status/1237424683630366721?s=19

😬

TFC1154ever
03-10-2020, 01:03 PM
Yeah, that’s not good, but taking the international break into consideration, he will probably miss 2 more games. April 4th against the Crew would be the target I’m assuming.

Smokecell
03-10-2020, 01:20 PM
Am I imagining things or did they not say it was 2-3 weeks for Piatti? If we're talking an additional 4 weeks this can be filed under significant injury already. Not a good start at all.

MikeForbes
03-10-2020, 01:21 PM
Yeah, that’s not good, but taking the international break into consideration, he will probably miss 2 more games. April 4th against the Crew would be the target I’m assuming.

Yeah, I would say on the 11th against the Red Bulls. Probably ease him in as a sub. Maybe he can start the week after.

OgtheDim
03-11-2020, 02:56 PM
Seattle home game on 21st postponed.

Expect a lot more before the weekend.

James17930
03-11-2020, 06:39 PM

Can't they just play them in empty stadiums and still have them on TV? Seems much more preferable to postponing them.

notthesun
03-11-2020, 07:08 PM
Can't they just play them in empty stadiums and still have them on TV? Seems much more preferable to postponing them.

It will probably come to that because this thing isn't slowing down, but it's the last thing MLS wants due to how gate-driven league revenues are. There's no big TV contract to fall back on, the league needs paying fans to keep operating as it as. This is going to really, really hurt a lot of teams.

They're going to postpone games in the hopes of playing them later once things are more under control, but pretty soon the backlog of postponed games is going to be too much and they're going to have to play to empty stadiums, or cancel games and shorten the season.

OgtheDim
03-11-2020, 09:02 PM
NBA just suspended play.

Back story is an idiot player made fun of the coronovirus yesterday in a presser and made a point of touching everybody's mic/recording device.

He was diagnosed positive tonight.

He felt he was still strong enough to play.

They were within a minute of starting.

Doctor pulls them all off the court.

I think MLS shuts down this weekend.

MightyDM
03-11-2020, 09:17 PM

Things are bad there, and the federal government has completely messed up. According to media reports, a scientist gave warnings for weeks that they ignored because she was part of a research project. They refused to test and as a result the virus spread is accelerating.

MightyDM
03-11-2020, 09:19 PM
NBA just suspended play.

Back story is an idiot player made fun of the coronovirus yesterday in a presser and made a point of touching everybody's mic/recording device.

He was diagnosed positive tonight.

He felt he was still strong enough to play.

They were within a minute of starting.

Doctor pulls them all off the court.

I think MLS shuts down this weekend.

It is inevitable. Now that drumpf has woken up, there will be a cascading effect in the USA. Likely too late though and they will have a pretty significant pandemic.

OgtheDim
03-11-2020, 10:46 PM
UK about to put games behind close doors. The pressure is going to build.

The biggest issue for MLS teams is their revenues are largely gate driven.

Red CB Toronto
03-11-2020, 10:59 PM
UK about to put games behind close doors. The pressure is going to build.

The biggest issue for MLS teams is their revenues are largely gate driven.

That is why I thought that it was interesting that both the Sounders and Quakes announced that their games had been postponed and not being played behind closed doors. When the order came from the state of Washington, the Sounders postponed their match while the XFL announced the Dragons game would be played behind closed doors.

SKB
03-12-2020, 02:42 PM
League Postponed for 30 Days Good for TFC?

While I hate to miss soccer games, this will allow Pablo Piatti to be ready for the resumption in play and also Bradley will miss a lot less of the season.

C.Ronaldo
03-12-2020, 04:11 PM
League Postponed for 30 Days Good for TFC?

While I hate to miss soccer games, this will allow Pablo Piatti to be ready for the resumption in play and also Bradley will miss a lot less of the season.

petri dish half full

MikeForbes
03-12-2020, 05:30 PM
It sucks, but it is what is best. Hope you guys and your families stay healthy and we will see you all in the near future. <3

Voodooman
03-24-2020, 06:21 PM
The amazing 2nd leg between the Impact and TFC in 2016 will be reshown tonight on Youtube!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bYquaw3Eow&feature=youtu.be

MikeForbes
03-24-2020, 07:21 PM
Imagine starting Will Johnson and Armando Cooper over Jonathan Osorio and Marky Delgado. Bet TFC loses 7-2. ;)

OgtheDim
03-24-2020, 08:06 PM
Imagine Zavs as a really good CB.

Voodooman
03-24-2020, 10:03 PM
Watching that game showed a lot of the good that came from Johnson and Cooper I felt. Cooper was a workhorse and always getting in the play.

Johnson was that nuisance you hate to play against

notthesun
03-25-2020, 02:25 PM
Johnson was that nuisance you hate to play against

He was a good player, who immediately fell off hard after that season. The Vazquez for Johnson swap is probably the best roster decision we'll ever make.

Voodooman
03-25-2020, 02:42 PM
He was a good player, who immediately fell off hard after that season. The Vazquez for Johnson swap is probably the best roster decision we'll ever make.

Can't disagree with you one bit. He did good while he was here, but his physical nature was for sure going to take it out of him.

GuelphStorm2007
03-25-2020, 04:47 PM
The amazing 2nd leg between the Impact and TFC in 2016 will be reshown tonight on Youtube!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bYquaw3Eow&feature=youtu.be
I always thought that two game series between us and Montreal changed the perception of Soccer in this country for the better . plus I understand the ratings for both TSN and RDS were huge

Oldtimer
03-26-2020, 06:34 PM
Orlando has announced that their broadcast team includes former CWNT player Kaylyn Kyle, and my all-time favourite announcer Ray Hudson. I'm hoping to get a chance to hear their work sometime.

OgtheDim
03-27-2020, 06:30 AM
I think that's Inter Miami

I do hope they are not just sticking Kyle on the sidelines - she is an excellent analyst.

OgtheDim
03-28-2020, 07:41 PM
Not sure people know this, but MLS is limiting players to staying in place in their team's towns - not being allowed to leave for home (if family is somewhere else).

Red CB Toronto
03-28-2020, 11:44 PM
Not sure people know this, but MLS is limiting players to staying in place in their team's towns - not being allowed to leave for home (if family is somewhere else).

Can they actually do that, it goes against civil liberties with all going on? I am pretty sure a player can return home if he wants to, guess it really depends on their ability to get a flight, which is non-existent if going over seas. What could a team do if they did?

Initial B
03-29-2020, 02:48 PM
Well, Crap.
https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/03/29/toronto-fc-defender-chris-mavingas-loses-uncle-covid-19-france
And Mavinga probably can't even travel back for the funeral. I wonder if we're going to see more in the next few weeks.

OgtheDim
04-01-2020, 09:57 AM
On a lighter note

https://twitter.com/MLSist/status/1245355550524743680

OgtheDim
04-01-2020, 05:35 PM
I miss Drew Moor

https://twitter.com/drewmoor/status/1245466762679738368

OgtheDim
05-13-2020, 12:48 PM
So....the US ditched its youth soccer development approach and MLS has stepped in with a whole lot of US partners to create youth soccer divisions.

Info here (athletic, so a paywall)

https://theathletic.com/1812030/2020/05/13/sources-mls-to-announce-new-youth-league-involving-91-clubs/

All Canadian MLS teams participating in this.

OgtheDim
05-21-2020, 09:52 AM
Jap Stam to FC Cinci

https://twitter.com/LaurelPfahler/status/1263475668001738753

OgtheDim
05-21-2020, 02:04 PM
And the Cinci PR people announced Stam...with the wrong picture

https://twitter.com/Foet247Benelux/status/1263530864727687171

James17930
05-22-2020, 02:21 AM
So Jozy to Cincy?

Auzzy
05-22-2020, 07:55 AM
So Jozy to Cincy?

Not sure why? Jozy was at AZ; Jaap Stam wasn't.

ensco
05-22-2020, 08:14 AM
Not sure why? Jozy was at AZ; Jaap Stam wasn't.

From two weeks ago:

https://torontosun.com/sports/soccer/mls/toronto-fc/altidore-catches-tfc-off-guard-with-talks-of-returning-to-europe

In the VICE interview, Altidore added that he was “once close” to returning to the Netherlands. “I was in contact with Feyenoord when Jaap Stam was a trainer there,” Altidore said. “But it didn’t become concrete. I would love to play at a club like Feyenoord, AZ or PSV again. That would be great.”

Stam was at the helm at Feyenoord between July and October 2019.

OgtheDim
05-22-2020, 01:00 PM
Interesting - Feyenoord put out feelers last summer & it went nowhere. Cool with that. Reasons why stuff don't "become concrete" are varied but usually about $ & willingness to sell (which is also about $).

ensco
05-23-2020, 10:25 AM
Who knew that Achara and Shaffleburg went to the same high school in the Berkshires?

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/tfc-rookie-ifunanyachi-achara-thinking-family-back-home-nigeria/

Could be a while before we see again a world where a kid from Nigeria and a kid from Nova Scotia go to the same high school in Massachusetts

rydermike
05-23-2020, 06:21 PM
Who knew that Achara and Shaffleburg went to the same high school in the Berkshires?

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/tfc-rookie-ifunanyachi-achara-thinking-family-back-home-nigeria/

Could be a while before we see again a world where a kid from Nigeria and a kid from Nova Scotia go to the same high school in Massachusetts

Shaffleburg mentioned it when they drafted him. Him and Shaff went to Berkshire and ran track together, played in the PDL together at Black Rock FC, and now at TFC.
https://mobile.twitter.com/jacobshaff2/status/1230951117179146240

Yohan
05-28-2020, 12:43 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22l2XkG9ugU

Yohan
05-28-2020, 08:08 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPAIWu1OoX8

PaceyWinger
06-04-2020, 04:16 PM

They were also on the same track relay team while they were there. A couple burners.

Red CB Toronto
06-04-2020, 08:10 PM
Oh Captain, My captain, love his conviction.

https://www.cp24.com/sports/toronto-fc-captain-says-donald-trump-doesn-t-have-a-moral-bone-in-his-body-1.4970189

Redcoe15
06-04-2020, 10:36 PM
preach!!!

ensco
06-05-2020, 06:53 AM
Not that many American sportsmen are willing do this.

Lebron is the most prominent, but the longtime USMNT Captain doing it... it means something. It takes guts.

It's a good reminder that the majority of Americans are very decent people.

OgtheDim
06-05-2020, 11:16 AM
The beginning of the Athletic article about how the MLS negotiations went down include Jozy & Bradley involvement

https://theathletic.com/1855600/2020/06/04/mls-players-orlando-tournament-negotiations/

More than 100 MLS players had just completed the call with commissioner Don Garber, league executives, D.C. United owner Steve Kaplan and Vancouver Whitecaps owner Greg Kerfoot on April 21st. On that call, around 50 players expressed concern with what they saw as a rushed plan to return to play, voicing their opinions to Garber and the owners in tones that ranged from pleading to angry, from cool and logical to viscerally fired up.
After the end of the call, though, the discussion wasn’t as much about what was said as who said it — and how vehemently they did so. In a player pool that traditionally ranges from teenaged homegrown players on small contracts to superstars making millions, it’s most often been middle-salaried Americans who take the biggest role in the MLS Players Association (MLSPA). The big stars often sit on the sidelines.
Not this time.
On this April call, some of the league’s biggest names — Nani, Jozy Altidore, Michael Bradley, and Javier “Chicharito” Hernandez among them — expressed their reservations about the plan directly to Garber, Kerfoot and Kaplan.
That those big voices were on the call, and that they were willing to emotionally stand up to league executives who some players believe have long pushed the player pool around, felt like a transformative moment that would alter the rest of the discussions.
“For guys who don’t make a lot of money, it’s invaluable to see a guy like Chicharito or Nani or Michael Bradley or Jozy go to bat for you,” said Nashville SC defender Eric Miller, a member of the MLSPA executive board. “For those guys to show up in a big moment … it showed how united our player pool was.”

I would also note how the Vancouver owner is now part of the hawk wing of the league - he got his way on only 2 DP's and now he was playing hardball with players.

OgtheDim
06-05-2020, 03:25 PM
Oh, and Jozy is a king...

https://twitter.com/JozyAltidore/status/1268945573341736962

ensco
06-05-2020, 03:44 PM
Oh, and Jozy is a king...

https://twitter.com/JozyAltidore/status/1268945573341736962

This is what a winner looks like.

Our core guys are the types of people anybody would want in the foxhole with them.

notthesun
06-18-2020, 01:36 PM
https://twitter.com/KristianJack/status/1273674512375205888

Honestly, I kinda forgot we had Piatti.

OgtheDim
07-03-2020, 05:12 PM
Kinda going under the radar in many MLS discussions but a HECK of a lot of academy projects are on complete hold right now if not outright shut down. Montreal the latest to let their whole academy staff go, including the director.

There are youth organizations trying to figure out how to train but the risk is huge. Point is, a heck of a lot of development is going to be stagnant over the next year or so, all over the world. Do not be surprised if there is a severe drop in quality of play in about 9 years and lasting for a decade afterwards, all over the world.

The machine that has been soccer is slowing down.

ensco
07-03-2020, 06:02 PM
^I believe we will see nothing of the sort.

I respectfully disagree about the importance of coaching to development. In fact I think in many cases the true elite talents are being over coached.

OgtheDim
07-03-2020, 06:38 PM
Can't develop if you can't play or don't play because you move on

Beyond the idea that the years 12-17 are crucial for development, going back to before academies were a thing & coaching, there is also adolescent nature.

Every year a lot of 12-17 year olds lose interest in any sport - a lot of kids are going to lose interest in whatever they were doing.

The machine is what is keeping them in - going once a week, twice a week, whatever. Not able to do that for a full year or more? A lot of those kids are going to move on.

(this is all conjecture, of course, but its a warm night so hey....bantz):)

OgtheDim
07-08-2020, 11:22 AM
WOW

https://twitter.com/TorontoFC/status/1280894418762039298

benito
07-08-2020, 01:40 PM
Wow. That's very powerful.

Auzzy
07-08-2020, 08:29 PM
WOW

https://twitter.com/TorontoFC/status/1280894418762039298

Amazing. I love it.

OgtheDim
07-20-2020, 03:16 PM
Assuming we still have a league in 2023...

https://twitter.com/davisjsn/status/1285302250496299013

OgtheDim
07-22-2020, 09:31 AM
Columbus new stadium has built in smoke valves for the Nordecker

https://twitter.com/_jcmyers/status/1285711217609379841

OgtheDim
07-22-2020, 02:24 PM
Charlotte Team to be called

Charlotte FC

They want people to use the acronym CLT FC :facepalm:

Richard
07-22-2020, 07:27 PM
Charlotte Team to be called

Charlotte FC

They want people to use the acronym CLT FC :facepalm:

"Clit FC" :smilielol5:

James17930
07-23-2020, 05:26 AM
Vanney said in an interview that the players lose about 10 pounds during each match.

That's insane.

I'll go easier on them ;)

rydermike
07-23-2020, 08:21 AM
Vanney said in an interview that the players lose about 10 pounds during each match.

That's insane.

I'll go easier on them ;)
It's mostly water weight. I remember weighing myself before and after a game a few years ago and it was around that for me. Eat dinner and have a drink and weight goes back to normal.

ensco
07-23-2020, 08:24 AM
It’s mostly dangerous to lose 10 pounds in two hours, on a repeated basis.

Canary10
07-23-2020, 09:01 AM
It’s mostly dangerous to lose 10 pounds in two hours, on a repeated basis.

Welcome to summer marathon training! :)

OgtheDim
07-25-2020, 08:44 PM
If anybody is looking for xG and other stats for MLS (and other competitions), here it be

https://twitter.com/GraceOnFootball/status/1287196881634852865

(Grace is a mighty good writer on football)

rydermike
08-24-2020, 09:12 AM
Vancouver reportedly will receive €1 million euros from Bayern Munich due to Alphonso Davies winning the Champions League

https://www.thescore.com/us_fed/news/2008287

noxx98
08-27-2020, 12:34 PM
In response to some of the comments that RSL's owner made this morning about the players' protesting, Jozy said he is involved in a group that is ready to purchase the team.
https://twitter.com/JozyAltidore/status/1299015556323061760

MikeForbes
08-27-2020, 12:41 PM
Can Jozy own a team and be a roster player for another team in the same league? Seems like a conflict of interest.

rydermike
08-27-2020, 01:06 PM
Can Jozy own a team and be a roster player for another team in the same league? Seems like a conflict of interest.

Doubt it. The only instances of player-owners I can recall are Mario Lemieux with the Pittsburgh Penguins and Michael Jordan with the Washington Wizards (also Wayne Gretzky was owner and head coach of the Phoenix Coyotes). All were the same team they owned. Could be one way to get out of his contract if he has to retire/be traded to Real Salt Lake. I love Jozy, but far too injury prone for an expensive DP.

OgtheDim
08-27-2020, 01:09 PM
2020 is so weird....

Auzzy
08-27-2020, 01:22 PM
In response to some of the comments that RSL's owner made this morning about the players' protesting, Jozy said he is involved in a group that is ready to purchase the team.

Bunch of RSL fans responding to Jozy's tweet, that they would be happy to get rid of that owner, happy to buy a share, etc. Of course also negative comments, but I would say this owner hasn't quite "read the room."

Lil'John
08-27-2020, 03:07 PM
Bunch of RSL fans responding to Jozy's tweet, that they would be happy to get rid of that owner, happy to buy a share, etc. Of course also negative comments, but I would say this owner hasn't quite "read the room."

Maybe they'll take him off our hands as DP??!!

OgtheDim
08-27-2020, 06:18 PM
Reminder here that the biggest issue about this is RSL's owner is a racist plutocrat who spends money on his coin collection while threatening to lay off staf due to the strike last night.

As Caldwell says, get him out of the game.

https://twitter.com/FootyTalksLive/status/1299081652350717953

And, an Athletic article out tonight with more (paywall)

https://theathletic.com/2027796/2020/08/27/dell-loy-hansen-has-history-of-racially-charged-comments-as-rsl-owner/

The stuff in that article should get Hansen fired as an owner.

MikeForbes
08-27-2020, 06:45 PM
Yeah. That article should be the nail in the coffin for the racist scumbag.

OgtheDim
09-02-2020, 06:41 PM
Jon Arnold has a point about MLS in this tweet

It is so weird if you look at it from 5 years ago

https://twitter.com/ArnoldcommaJon/status/1301292655826161666

OgtheDim
09-10-2020, 06:25 PM
Not sure where to put this but...looks like we will be busy 9 days from now.

https://twitter.com/SoccerInsider/status/1304186545860116486

MikeForbes
09-10-2020, 07:02 PM
Interesting. Guessing the guys will be calling New Jersey home soon enough.

Red CB Toronto
09-10-2020, 09:30 PM
Not sure where to put this but...looks like we will be busy 9 days from now.

https://twitter.com/SoccerInsider/status/1304186545860116486

Steve replied to his tweet with this, not sure if this means from wherever the Reds may be based or Toronto. I do wonder if it is in and out does the Canadian government allow that. Land, go to the stadium, play the game and head straight back to the airport and fly out. There would not be many opportunities for exposure with that. Just a thought that crossed my mind. If you have confidence in luck turn around Covid testing it could work. The Pac 12 has signed a deal for rapid testing.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/29804035/pac-12-partnership-allow-daily-covid-19-testing-athletes

https://twitter.com/SoccerInsider/status/1304186969828798464

OgtheDim
09-11-2020, 06:23 AM
Rumours running around soccer twitter

Announced today

Only 3 games being announced - done over 2 week period

PizzaEatingYeti
09-11-2020, 08:49 AM
Land, go to the stadium, play the game and head straight back to the airport and fly out.

IMO that would be a huge disadvantage for any visitor team.
They would start the match tired plus without any kind of training/accomodation in/to that city, stadium, atmosphere.

Everybody is not Seba, landing from another continent, going straight to the stadium, and becoming the man of the match.
(At least it was his team's home stadium, lol...)

rydermike
09-11-2020, 11:55 AM
TFC to play home matches in Hartford, Connecticut
https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2020/09/11/toronto-fc-play-its-home-matches-connecticut

Bushmancan
09-11-2020, 01:07 PM
TFC to play home matches in Hartford, Connecticut
https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2020/09/11/toronto-fc-play-its-home-matches-connecticut

Natural Grass Field

ag futbol
09-11-2020, 02:17 PM
Toronto Whalers, noice!

OgtheDim
09-12-2020, 09:00 PM
VAR goes deep to VAR itself

https://twitter.com/MLSVAR/status/1304957526484619264

OgtheDim
09-17-2020, 06:02 PM
Manning speaks to Footy Talks about a few things.

https://twitter.com/FootyTalksLive/status/1306632358511009792

Redcoe15
09-17-2020, 09:57 PM
St. Louis City SC sets an MLS record with 30,000 season ticket deposits within the first 15 minutes of them being able to the general public, and 50,000 within one hour!

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/09/17/mls-expansion-team-st-louis-city-sc-set-new-league-record-season-ticket-deposits?%243p=e_et&%24original_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mlssoccer.com%2F post%2F2020%2F09%2F17%2Fmls-expansion-team-st-louis-city-sc-set-new-league-record-season-ticket-deposits&utm_source=TWIM&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=TwimStory1&utm_campaign=MLSTWIM20200917_Schedule_Dynamic&_branch_match_id=538554365085172311

Yohan
09-18-2020, 08:32 AM
Gonzalo Higuain to Inter Miami is a done deal

OgtheDim
09-18-2020, 07:03 PM
Beitashour to Colorado - like Moor, will be a backup.

Red CB Toronto
09-19-2020, 02:44 PM
Forge just went up 1-0 on a nice play by former Red Mo Babouli. 25 or so min away from a Toronto Hamilton Canadian Final.

Red CB Toronto
09-19-2020, 03:19 PM
Toronto FC vs. Forge FC in Canadian Final with spot in Champions League on the line, when and where we do not know at this point.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EiTZ0-ZWoAA0BlH?format=jpg&name=large

ag futbol
09-19-2020, 10:43 PM
Montero playing well again for Vancouver in the #10 role. I really feel MDS just got lucky here having rolled the dice so many times he eventually landed on a formula that works.

Really liking Gutierrez. Defensive minded fullback can put in a good cross. I would make him the first choice left back if he commits to Canada.

ag futbol
09-21-2020, 04:22 PM
How does MDS win coach of the week for having his team eek out two wins while playing up a man for the majority of each match?

To the people who vote for this even watch MLS??

OgtheDim
09-21-2020, 07:47 PM
Rest of season schedule to be announced tomorrow

You will all be happy to know we are done with DCU

https://twitter.com/SoccerInsider/status/1308201875729190916

benito
09-28-2020, 05:02 PM
Congrats Richie!

https://twitter.com/MLS/status/1310670672608272385

MikeForbes
09-28-2020, 05:24 PM
Well deserved. Richie is becoming a star before our eyes.

Thomas
09-28-2020, 05:47 PM
Hats off to the Reds. A great result against one of the top teams. Richie has been a revelation. Credit to Vanney too.

James17930
09-28-2020, 07:18 PM
I'm wondering if he's going to be off to Europe sometime soon.

OgtheDim
10-03-2020, 06:10 PM
Rapids might have to forfeit games due to Covid

https://twitter.com/samstejskal/status/1312525702365757440

ag futbol
10-08-2020, 12:54 PM
MLS coach death watch pool: MDS, Olsen, Scholetto... All good candidates.

Who wins the race to the unemployment line?

MikeForbes
10-08-2020, 03:35 PM
Ben Olsen has finally been fired in DC.

https://twitter.com/SoccerInsider/status/1314294997370523650?s=20

ag futbol
10-08-2020, 04:49 PM
MLS coach death watch pool: MDS, Olsen, Scholetto... All good candidates.

Who wins the race to the unemployment line?

Well there you have it... Ben is the winner!

I hope he resurfaces in some capacity. He’s definitely one of the characters I’ll always remember watching the early days of this league. Maybe not the guy you want coaching though.

Red CB Toronto
10-08-2020, 05:18 PM
Well there you have it... Ben is the winner!

I hope he resurfaces in some capacity. He’s definitely one of the characters I’ll always remember watching the early days of this league. Maybe not the guy you want coaching though.

A true MLS lifer, mad props to him lasting this long as head coach of DC United plus all those years as a player. I figure he will get a shot at another gig if he wants it at this time. Wonder if he will find his way to one of the new teams that kicks off over the next few years.

OgtheDim
10-08-2020, 05:52 PM
Ben Olsen is by all accounts one of the nicest guys among the managers in this league. And he has had one of the worst front offices to deal with, for the longest time in one of the worst facilities in the league (RFK crumbling around them).

He would be a good fit in Portland.

OgtheDim
10-08-2020, 08:57 PM
Weird stat of the day

https://twitter.com/martyn_bailey/status/1314368098972192770

Havn't had an explayer score on us in over 2 years now.

FWIW, Hagglund is still out with Covid so the next opportunity for this to happen is...Warren Creavalle with the Union.

Oldtimer
10-09-2020, 08:24 AM
Weird stat of the day

https://twitter.com/martyn_bailey/status/1314368098972192770

Havn't had an explayer score on us in over 2 years now.

FWIW, Hagglund is still out with Covid so the next opportunity for this to happen is...Warren Creavalle with the Union.

Part of this stat is that there is a lot less turnover than in the days of Mo. At one point it seemed like half of MLS had an ex Red on their squad.

Initial B
10-09-2020, 09:49 AM

I'm not surprised. They need something new there. I'd like to see him get another job somewhere else in MLS, just to see whether is was the coach or the organization that was the cause of the years of ineptitude. Vanney is now one of the longest tenured coaches in MLS.

OgtheDim
10-10-2020, 10:59 AM
Vanney was/is a left footed CB apparently

https://twitter.com/Galaxy_History/status/1314950038452408320

benito
10-10-2020, 05:05 PM
Rapids might have to forfeit games due to Covid]

Another Rapids game has been canceled due to COVID. This is the fourth game in a row that has been postponed.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/major-league-soccer/story/4205543/colorado-rapids-match-against-la-galaxy-postponed-due-to-covid-positive

OgtheDim
10-10-2020, 09:52 PM
Ugh

2 more games postponed due to Covid cases among players

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/10/10/mls-postpones-two-more-week-17-matches-following-positive-covid-test-results

Time for the league to get its act together

benito
10-13-2020, 09:38 AM
MLS postpones three more Colorado Rapids games. I am not sure how the Rapids are going to play these games. A few have been rescheduled but how many matches can they squeeze in?

https://www.espn.com/soccer/colorado-rapids/story/4206920/mls-postpones-three-more-colorado-rapids-games

Red CB Toronto
10-13-2020, 11:36 AM
MLS postpones three more Colorado Rapids games. I am not sure how the Rapids are going to play these games. A few have been rescheduled but how many matches can they squeeze in?

https://www.espn.com/soccer/colorado-rapids/story/4206920/mls-postpones-three-more-colorado-rapids-games

Wonder if they would be forced sign a bunch of players to short term deals to fill in from say their USL team in Colorado Springs. I understand its more complicated than just that but it could be some they may have to explore depending on the seriousness of the cases. Look back at the Reds when a bunch of players were signed to play at Houston and Colorado when the Reds were in Champions League down in Mexico. Also when the Reds had 11 players out due to International duty and injury against Chivas way back in 2008.

ag futbol
10-13-2020, 03:01 PM
Cyle Larin available and MLS teams allegedly looking at him. Any takers?

Player aside, I think our ability to find more striker depth will be limited to loans on low TAM money (at best). This might fit that criteria at least?

NK Toronto
10-13-2020, 07:26 PM

The fact that this continues to happen to the same team tells me their players aren't following Covid protocol. Easy solution just award Colorado's scheduled opponent a 3-0 win.

rydermike
10-14-2020, 06:13 AM
Cyle Larin available and MLS teams allegedly looking at him. Any takers?

Player aside, I think our ability to find more striker depth will be limited to loans on low TAM money (at best). This might fit that criteria at least?

Larin has to go through the Allocation Order right?

kuku
10-14-2020, 01:56 PM
@lavenir_sport (https://twitter.com/lavenir_sport)
Victor Vazquez is already leaving the @AS_Eupen (https://twitter.com/AS_Eupen)
"for personal reasons". The Spaniard had played very little (13 min) in the Pandas jersey.

levyashin
10-14-2020, 02:07 PM
Just reading thru world soccer news in the Guardian online.
One of our all time good guys is in the news once again.
Carl Robinson he of the (I only tapped him Ref) currently managing Newcastle Jets in the Australian A league is under consideration for the vacant managers job at Western Sydney FC.
All that experience at the Whitecaps has really set him up.

Red CB Toronto
10-14-2020, 02:19 PM
Interesting development here. I know there has been push back by some USL owners against having the MLS owned reserves teams in the league and as such USL League One was created. MLS is launching a new U-23/reserves league to kick off in 2021. Details on why they believe this is the right time, and how this will impact a running partnership with the USL. I feel in some ways this is a cheap route being pushed by some of the cheap MLS teams. I wonder what TFC's approach to this will be. Some will definitely choose to stay in USL, especially those who are playing at the Championship level. Will be interesting.

https://twitter.com/jeffrueter/status/1316142180277391361

Auzzy
10-14-2020, 11:34 PM
Guys please check out this feature from TSN on Ayo Akinola. Wow.

https://www.tsn.ca/tsn-originals/video/tsn-original-together~2055128

PizzaEatingYeti
10-15-2020, 04:32 AM
Guys please check out this feature from TSN on Ayo Akinola. Wow.

https://www.tsn.ca/tsn-originals/video/tsn-original-together~2055128

This was great!

PizzaEatingYeti
10-15-2020, 06:34 AM
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50487572658_06f5e11d6f_z.jpg

A whole lotta crazy results yesterdays.
I think I newer saw in MLS in a single gameday so many better teams shitting themselves in front of weaker teams.

IMO the only explanation can be general fatigue of players because of the program congestion.
If both teams equally fatigued, the difference between a "strong team" and a "weak team" is a lot less evident compared to if both teams are well rested.

TFC1154ever
10-15-2020, 10:33 AM
@lavenir_sport (https://twitter.com/lavenir_sport)
Victor Vazquez is already leaving the @AS_Eupen (https://twitter.com/AS_Eupen)
"for personal reasons". The Spaniard had played very little (13 min) in the Pandas jersey.

I’d bring him back at a reduced rate. Give him Zavaleta’s money (300k). He can come off the bench for Poz, or start for him when he needs rest. Can play CM too when needed.

benito
10-15-2020, 11:20 AM
I’d bring him back at a reduced rate. Give him Zavaleta’s money (300k). He can come off the bench for Poz, or start for him when he needs rest. Can play CM too when needed.

On paper, that sounds like a great idea. Poz looked tired last night and could use a backup.

noxx98
10-15-2020, 11:39 AM
Apparently Victor Vazquez is on his way to India. https://alkhaleejtoday.co/sport/5092378/Victor-Vazquez-leaves-KAS-Eupen-to-play-football-for-Bengaluru-FC.html

Such a weird and winding career path for someone so talented.

Auzzy
10-15-2020, 12:50 PM
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50487572658_06f5e11d6f_z.jpg

A whole lotta crazy results yesterdays.
I think I newer saw in MLS in a single gameday so many better teams shitting themselves in front of weaker teams.

IMO the only explanation can be general fatigue of players because of the program congestion.
If both teams equally fatigued, the difference between a "strong team" and a "weak team" is a lot less evident compared to if both teams are well rested.

W/o looking closely at the results, or which ones are home & away in each game...
I read in Europe they found that there's much less homefield advantage with no fans in the stadium. Probably a similar but reduced effect if there are a small number of fans in the stadium. A major part of the difference seems to be due to how the officials call the game in those environments

So in addition to general fatigue:
- a whole bunch of other distractions, worries, and different routines in the year 2020
- and possibly different impact of home & away.

Perhaps all the above is leading to more unexpected results? The other thing: with relative parity in MLS compared to many big footy leagues, it doesn't take as much to affect the expected outcome of games.

TFC1154ever
10-15-2020, 03:50 PM
Apparently Victor Vazquez is on his way to India. https://alkhaleejtoday.co/sport/5092378/Victor-Vazquez-leaves-KAS-Eupen-to-play-football-for-Bengaluru-FC.html

Such a weird and winding career path for someone so talented.

Huh? That came out of left field.

I wonder what must have been said between him and Manning when he openly said he wanted to come back to Toronto before signing with KAS. Must not be close on the salary. He might be a last 2 years of his career guy here, and then coaching.

noxx98
10-16-2020, 11:36 AM
https://twitter.com/SoccerInsider/status/1317137359570411521?s=20
Will be interesting to see how many people actually attend. There can't be that many TFC fans based in Connecticut?

Auzzy
10-16-2020, 12:03 PM
https://twitter.com/SoccerInsider/status/1317137359570411521?s=20
Will be interesting to see how many people actually attend. There can't be that many TFC fans based in Connecticut?

5,000? That will be taken up just by Murph Malone and his friends. :D

OgtheDim
10-16-2020, 12:18 PM
14 day quarantine coming back for anybody thinking about it.

Not interested but I can imagine the temptation for some if we somehow made it to the cup final.

Red CB Toronto
10-16-2020, 02:50 PM
14 day quarantine coming back for anybody thinking about it.

Not interested but I can imagine the temptation for some if we somehow made it to the cup final.

I am sure some will think it would be worth it, still a little surprised that a negative test within 72 hours of your travel is not enough to get out of quarantine. Rapid testing will be the game changer on many fronts.
Wonder why its only for the last game, Hartford Athletic of USL was having fans in the stands since their re-start, 1,375 a game, meeting the Connecticut guideline of 25% in the stands. TFC is actually selling less than the 25% they are allowed. If all 5,000 seats are sold thats 12.5 capacticty, half of what they could sell.

Wonder if because there opponent three days before at home is NYCFC they wanted to avoid a Third Rail invasion and some of the issues that could come with that like out of the blue having 1,000 people jammed into one end. etc

CBTFC
10-16-2020, 04:30 PM
Finally some common sense, logic and reason kicks in! Hats off to the state of Connecticut :)

andyc
10-16-2020, 04:34 PM
This becomes really interesting if we get to MLS Cup final and we win the Supporters Shield... That might be worth the risk / impact....

I am sure some will think it would be worth it, still a little surprised that a negative test within 72 hours of your travel is not enough to get out of quarantine. Rapid testing will be the game changer on many fronts.
Wonder why its only for the last game, Hartford Athletic of USL was having fans in the stands since their re-start, 1,375 a game, meeting the Connecticut guideline of 25% in the stands. TFC is actually selling less than the 25% they are allowed. If all 5,000 seats are sold thats 12.5 capacticty, half of what they could sell.

Wonder if because there opponent three days before at home is NYCFC they wanted to avoid a Third Rail invasion and some of the issues that could come with that like out of the blue having 1,000 people jammed into one end. etc

rydermike
10-16-2020, 04:46 PM
I can imagine some TFC fans making the trip if they are working from home anyways. Then the quarantine wouldn't be too big of a deal since they can still work.

Redpunkfiddle
10-16-2020, 05:14 PM
I don't get what value this is adding for our team. They are inviting in a tiny number of TFC fans that might live around that area. And then we get a bunch of random soccer families to sit and watch us? How is that going to give the team any advantage? It's more useless than the 250 Saputo crowd. And playoffs? We get our Northeast US opponents filling it up against us?

TFC FO already had to tweet out it isn't marketing to or encouraging people in Toronto to go. They had to do that because federal travel advisories only recommend essential travel out of the country. Putting aside what individuals might want to do, you'd think MLSE would keep itself aligned with public health measures. They'll have to think pretty hard about what they do if we make the final.

OgtheDim
10-16-2020, 06:56 PM
I actually think it might be a very pro Miami crowd filled with Higuain gawkers.

PizzaEatingYeti
10-17-2020, 03:13 AM

I'm convinced that if spectators would be allowed for the NYCFC game, there would be a lot more NYCFC fans than TFC fans.

NK Toronto
10-17-2020, 08:12 AM
NYCFC's avg attendance last year was only 21,000. I am not so sure many New Yorkers would make the trip to Hartford during a pandemic to see their team play.

NK Toronto
10-17-2020, 08:28 AM
Finally some common sense, logic and reason kicks in! Hats off to the state of Connecticut :)

It was that same common sense that has caused over 210,000 Covid deaths in the U.S. and counting. Lots of common sense there. No disrespect intended and you are entitled to your own view, but I prefer the approach taken here in Canada.

Auzzy
10-17-2020, 09:28 AM
NYCFC's avg attendance last year was only 21,000. I am not so sure many New Yorkers would make the trip to Hartford during a pandemic to see their team play.

Yes but they can’t go to games in NJ or NY right now. Perhaps a fair number would do the quick trip to Hartford. I bet plenty of NYC fans live in CT anyway.

OgtheDim
10-17-2020, 12:44 PM
So....apparently Greg Vanney took penalties

See the second goal

https://twitter.com/Galaxy_History/status/1317503698034171910

Boddington
10-17-2020, 12:48 PM
No Supporters' Shield this year..........

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/10/17/supporters-shield-will-not-be-awarded-2020-following-decision-isc

MikeForbes
10-17-2020, 01:00 PM

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/10/17/supporters-shield-will-not-be-awarded-2020-following-decision-isc

They scared to send it north of the border again or something?

OgtheDim
10-17-2020, 01:17 PM
I'm not down with that. I get why the ISC made the decision but the thinking bugs the crap out of me.

The idea that supporters not being able to go somehow means support doesn't exist is baffling.

This feeling that we do not support the team if we are not present is proof to me that even at the supporters level, at the hardest of hard core, many supporter groups still look at this all as a day out.

Auzzy
10-17-2020, 01:17 PM

The ISC should award a special Supporters Shield for this year: a stainless-steel asterisk. And make it 3D, because we all know what that looks like.

Auzzy
10-17-2020, 01:22 PM
I'm not down with that. I get why the ISC made the decision but the thinking bugs the crap out of me.

The idea that supporters not being able to go somehow means support doesn't exist is baffling.

This feeling that we do not support the team if we are not present is proof to me that even at the supporters level, at the hardest of hard core, many supporter groups still look at this all as a day out.

Exactly. I was expecting them to say something about the very unbalanced and unusual schedule, with all the related interruptions and distractions, and therefore a winner of the "regular season" is iffy. To make it related to not being in the stadiums: bizarre. This year, I and many others support the people and things we love by staying away from them physically, and supporting in other ways.

Red CB Toronto
10-17-2020, 01:33 PM
Yes but they can’t go to games in NJ or NY right now. Perhaps a fair number would do the quick trip to Hartford. I bet plenty of NYC fans live in CT anyway.

If the NYCFC game was open to fans, you would see a Third Rail invasion for sure, no doubt in my mind. After reading Bill's comment they took that into consideration and probably will during the post season.

Redpunkfiddle
10-17-2020, 01:37 PM
Very poor coming so late, and the rationale is fuzzy as people are saying.

Red CB Toronto
10-17-2020, 01:50 PM
This is such a joke, the Supporter Shield is awarded for on field excellence not if fans are in the stands or not, to me this is very petty. While I would have loved to be in the stands as all of us here would have, it has no way tempered my passion for the Reds.

Smokecell
10-17-2020, 01:54 PM
If I’m the players now with a playoff spot locked up, f*** the remaining games. Forfeit them and spend time with family. This is ludicrous even by MLS standards.

MikeForbes
10-17-2020, 01:54 PM
I guess living in Nova Scotia and being unable to attend TFC games means I am not a supporter according to their statement.

Auzzy
10-17-2020, 02:22 PM
I guess living in Nova Scotia and being unable to attend TFC games means I am not a supporter according to their statement.

Exactly. And maybe away games should never count towards the Supporters' Shield race, since there usually aren't many away supporters at games. :picard:

NK Toronto
10-17-2020, 03:46 PM
I can't believe the league allows this group to dictate to the league what trophies it can award. If I am Garber I would tell this group to go pound salt and announce a new trophy for the regular season champion. Unless of course this is just a ploy to deny a Canadian club from winning.

Bushmancan
10-17-2020, 05:51 PM
The ISC should award a special Supporters Shield for this year: a stainless-steel asterisk. And make it 3D, because we all know what that looks like.

I know the NBA & NHL said no asterix on the trophy this year but everyone talked about the Raptors and an asterix because Golden State were injured. No Shield is just a complete fail.. COWARDS ISC. I say Seattle best 4 out of 5.

James17930
10-17-2020, 06:50 PM
As long as we get homefield all through the playoffs, who cares?

TFC07
10-17-2020, 07:44 PM
I can't believe the league allows this group to dictate to the league what trophies it can award. If I am Garber I would tell this group to go pound salt and announce a new trophy for the regular season champion. Unless of course this is just a ploy to deny a Canadian club from winning.

Agreed. MLS should have their own version of SS to reward the best team in the regular season.

Playoffs is a crap shoot; it's a tournament that favors teams with momentum

Bushmancan
10-17-2020, 07:48 PM

Because it is a one game winner take all knockout for each round, home field isn’t really going to matter as much without fans (of course no travel). The players played with knocks, rushed to rehabilitate, lived without their families and 5 games before final they say.... “Yeah, that didn’t matter” Maybe then the MLS Cup means nothing as well, lets just cancel it an hour before the final game.

James17930
10-18-2020, 12:45 PM
Because it is a one game winner take all knockout for each round, home field isn’t really going to matter as much without fans (of course no travel). The players played with knocks, rushed to rehabilitate, lived without their families and 5 games before final they say.... “Yeah, that didn’t matter” Maybe then the MLS Cup means nothing as well, lets just cancel it an hour before the final game.

Right, no travel. That's huge right now.

And of course MLS Cup means something. Playoffs are basically a knockout tournament for a cup. That's a legitimate format no matter how many teams are in it. But I can agree with the SG that the way this season has gone, giving away the Shield is not really an accurate indication of the best team over a long period of time.

PizzaEatingYeti
10-18-2020, 03:08 PM

Very wrong point of view IMO!
Everybody cares, to whom the most important aspect of determining the best team after a full season is the quality of play shown through the lengt of 85-90% of the season, and not in the remaining 10-15% in some cup style tournament, where the final outcome is 1/3 based on momentarily form, 1/3 on blind luck and just 1/3 on the real value of a team.

James17930
10-18-2020, 06:05 PM
Very wrong point of view IMO!
Everybody cares, to whom the most important aspect of determining the best team after a full season is the quality of play shown through the lengt of 85-90% of the season, and not in the remaining 10-15% in some cup style tournament, where the final outcome is 1/3 based on momentarily form, 1/3 on blind luck and just 1/3 on the real value of a team.

But it's not a full season. And there would always have been an asterisk next to it anyway.

I'm not criticizing anyone else for caring, I'm just saying I don't think it's something we need to get worked up about. We know we're the best team, we don't need to have the SS to 'prove' that. Our main objectives should be qualifying for the CL and winning MLS Cup.

NK Toronto
10-18-2020, 06:52 PM
But it's not a full season. And there would always have been an asterisk next to it anyway.

I'm not criticizing anyone else for caring, I'm just saying I don't think it's something we need to get worked up about. We know we're the best team, we don't need to have the SS to 'prove' that. Our main objectives should be qualifying for the CL and winning MLS Cup.

It is something we should care about. If you don't reward a trophy to the season champ then you diminish the season to a glorified training camp. Play just well enough to qualify for the playoffs and then just mail it in. Why would I as a fan go and pay top dollar for tickets to watch glorified friendlies. In the rest of the world the league Championship is the primary goal. The MLS is the outlier. Time for the MLS to wake up and get on board with the rest of the soccer world.

Bushmancan
10-18-2020, 06:57 PM
The really interesting thing will be if we place first, win all our games and therefor are the host of the Cup... will it be at “Rent”, “BMO” or wonder if MLS try to move it to a 3rd party site. MLSE should get it in writing... right now.

NK Toronto
10-18-2020, 07:49 PM
Think how lousy we would feel if we finish first and then lose our 1st playoff match 1-0 on an own goal in injury time, and end up with nothing to show for this season.

OgtheDim
10-18-2020, 09:00 PM
The really interesting thing will be if we place first, win all our games and therefor are the host of the Cup... will it be at “Rent”, “BMO” or wonder if MLS try to move it to a 3rd party site. MLSE should get it in writing... right now.

That's already been discussed. Hartford. MLS can't come north.

Bushmancan
10-18-2020, 09:03 PM
That's already been discussed. Hartford. MLS can't come north.

Yeah I read that as well but I think they better nail down in writing that “Rent” is acceptable. Or we may end up some place in the south at a neutral field.

James17930
10-18-2020, 09:26 PM
It is something we should care about. If you don't reward a trophy to the season champ then you diminish the season to a glorified training camp. Play just well enough to qualify for the playoffs and then just mail it in. Why would I as a fan go and pay top dollar for tickets to watch glorified friendlies. In the rest of the world the league Championship is the primary goal. The MLS is the outlier. Time for the MLS to wake up and get on board with the rest of the soccer world.

But you're not paying for games now. That's part of the point. In a full season, of course they need something like the SS. I'm only talking about this season.

OgtheDim
10-18-2020, 09:52 PM
In other news

Orlando makes it to the playoffs for the first time ever

NK Toronto
10-18-2020, 10:03 PM
But they are still playing a regular season so why not award a Championship? On tonight's broadcast KJ was saying that the true test of a team's quality is how it performs over an entire season rather than the playoffs, which can be as few as 3 games. Even with this shortened season the team that finishes with the most points will have achieved something more difficult to accomplish than winning the 3 game MLS Cup tournament. Just because the MLS is a North American league doesn't mean it has to adopt the North American mentality of only the playoffs matter.

Anyway, I am just disappointed that the league seems to be letting something like this occur. Makes me wonder about how this league is being managed.

NK Toronto
10-18-2020, 10:12 PM
In other news

Orlando makes it to the playoffs for the first time ever

Okay, I've said my piece.I will move on.

OgtheDim
10-18-2020, 10:16 PM
But they are still playing a regular season so why not award a Championship? On tonight's broadcast KJ was saying that the true test of a team's quality is how it performs over an entire season rather than the playoffs, which can be as few as 3 games. Even with this shortened season the team that finishes with the most points will have achieved something more difficult to accomplish than winning the 3 game MLS Cup tournament. Just because the MLS is a North American league doesn't mean it has to adopt the North American mentality of only the playoffs matter.

Anyway, I am just disappointed that the league seems to be letting something like this occur. Makes me wonder about how this league is being managed.

The league doesn't manage the shield. It's totally separate. Up until now, that's just been a quirk that makes it slightly easier for the league to manage. Nobody thought the group leading it would be so stupid as to take their ball & go home 3 weeks before it was to be awarded.

Moving forward, that quirk is now almost dead. It suffered a serious blow today when supporters of the two teams likely to be the ones getting it basically told the organization to either bring it back or they will be worked around.

The supporter's shield committee's only power is what the league gives them. And the league showed today it doesn't need that committee, or that shield.

What is striking to me is the depth of conversations this has created about how this league should celebrate success.

I think this can go one of 2 ways.

NFL style divisions & playoffs

or

League that means something, unbalanced as it is, with a cup/playoff at the end that crowns the "winner".

Red CB Toronto
10-18-2020, 10:24 PM
Did the league further comment on this today?

The league doesn't manage the shield. It's totally separate. Up until now, that's just been a quirk that makes it slightly easier for the league to manage. Nobody thought the group leading it would be so stupid as to take their ball & go home 3 weeks before it was to be awarded.

Moving forward, that quirk is now almost dead. It suffered a serious blow today when supporters of the two teams likely to be the ones getting it basically told the organization to either bring it back or they will be worked around.

The supporter's shield committee's only power is what the league gives them. And the league showed today it doesn't need that committee, or that shield.

What is striking to me is the depth of conversations this has created about how this league should celebrate success.

or

League that means something, unbalanced as it is, with a cup/playoff at the end that crowns the "winner".

NK Toronto
10-18-2020, 10:25 PM
I understand that now, but the league could have made a public statement that it disagrees with this decision and that it will be establishing it's own trophy to be awarded to the regular season champion. By not publicly rebuking this decision the league appears to be providing its tacit approval.

NK Toronto
10-18-2020, 10:44 PM

or

As far as I know all football leagues throughout the world award at least 2 trophies, one for the league champion and one for the cup champion. I hope MLS follows that path and tries to align itself with the rest of the world, including adhering to international breaks. With respect to an unbalanced schedule I think that is inevitable so you could award a trophy for both the east and west division season champions. The MLS season is grueling, running from March to September, with hundreds of thousands of miles traveled. To not award anything to the team that finishes first seems unjust.

rydermike
10-19-2020, 01:59 PM
TFC's magic number to win the "Shield" - 10 points (we currently have 41 points - 4 games left)

Philadelphia - 10 (currently 38 points, max of 50 - 4 games left)
Columbus - 9 (currently 34 points, max of 49 - 5 games left)
Seattle - 9 (currently 31 points, max of 49 -6 games left)
Orlando - 7 (currently 32 points, max of 47 - 5 games left)
Portland - 6 (currently 31 points, max of 46 - 5 games left)
Sporting KC - 6 (currently 30 points, max of 46 - 5 games left)
and Colorado - 9 (currently 19 points, max of 49 - "10 games" left)

Anytime we win subtract 3 from all numbers, a draw subtract 1 from all. If one of those teams loses subtract 3 from their score only, if they draw subtract 2

*These numbers do not include tiebreakers. If we win the tiebreaker subtract one point.

Updated with union win over revs

sn0re
10-20-2020, 08:05 PM
Does anyone know what the TV ratings on TSN are since we are the only Toronto team that is playing?

flatpicker
10-21-2020, 09:35 PM
Watching the replay of TFC v Montréal leg 2 on TSN right now. It’s funny how riveted I am. This game was something magical.

Red CB Toronto
10-22-2020, 12:34 PM
Wonder if this could change things for the playoffs.

https://scontent.fybz2-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.15752-9/122405763_687281201894271_2000923669780572697_n.jp g?_nc_cat=105&ccb=2&_nc_sid=ae9488&_nc_ohc=dObiUQYtJv0AX-Ov1D0&_nc_ht=scontent.fybz2-2.fna&oh=4a479e7187883f27f73d455ed24d139f&oe=5FB7A205

OgtheDim
10-22-2020, 12:53 PM
Details starting to flow out

Still requires 7 day isolation

https://twitter.com/BogochIsaac/status/1319326835575083015

Red CB Toronto
10-22-2020, 01:04 PM
I wonder if you will be sent home with the second rapid test to take at day 7. That was done during a study that be being done at airports.

tfcfans
10-22-2020, 02:22 PM
Watching the replay of TFC v Montréal leg 2 on TSN right now. It’s funny how riveted I am. This game was something magical.

Watching it now on TSN again (Hagglund just scored!!!) - I can never turn this off if it comes on my screen - one of the greatest sporting nights I have ever experienced in person and I’ve been exceptionally fortunate to be there in person for almost every major Toronto sports moment since the mid-80s or so in this city (every Blue Jays and Raptors key playoff moment, and even the Leafs ones (lots of Game 7s) such as they are - and some other exceptional events too like Super Bowls and Grey Cups)......Winning MLS Cup in 2017 was cathartic after 2016s heartbreak, but for actual spectacle and drama and emotion on the field, it’s hard to match November 30th 2016 at BMO. Anyone who was there that night knows that clearly was the most intensely contested game ever played at BMO, and I highly doubt we will see the likes of that again as the concept of going to a Finals for the first time against your historic rival (and then winning it all a year later) will never be matched, as all future experiences will be compared to that Montreal series, that 2016 Finals, and the subsequent redemption and satisfaction (and catharsis) of 2017s treble winning season. There will never be another “first time” like this one.....it just never gets old watching this night at BMO - it’s everything great about what this sport, this team, this city, that stadium, and our fans could be.....

MightyDM
10-22-2020, 03:05 PM

Incredbile. My best live sporting experience ever. It actually helped that they scored first. Hagglund!

MightyDM
10-22-2020, 03:07 PM
Watching it now on TSN again (Hagglund just scored!!!) - I can never turn this off if it comes on my screen - one of the greatest sporting nights I have ever experienced in person and I’ve been exceptionally fortunate to be there in person for almost every major Toronto sports moment since the mid-80s or so in this city (every Blue Jays and Raptors key playoff moment, and even the Leafs ones (lots of Game 7s) such as they are - and some other exceptional events too like Super Bowls and Grey Cups)......Winning MLS Cup in 2017 was cathartic after 2016s heartbreak, but for actual spectacle and drama and emotion on the field, it’s hard to match November 30th 2016 at BMO. Anyone who was there that night knows that clearly was the most intensely contested game ever played at BMO, and I highly doubt we will see the likes of that again as the concept of going to a Finals for the first time against your historic rival (and then winning it all a year later) will never be matched, as all future experiences will be compared to that Montreal series, that 2016 Finals, and the subsequent redemption and satisfaction (and catharsis) of 2017s treble winning season. There will never be another “first time” like this one.....it just never gets old watching this night at BMO - it’s everything great about what this sport, this team, this city, that stadium, and our fans could be.....

So well said. Bravo :drum:

Auzzy
10-22-2020, 03:37 PM

I went to the first leg in Montreal with my daughter; and then saw the 2nd leg at BMO. The whole two-game affair is part of what made it amazing for me. From the lines painted wrong in the Big Owe; then the depths of despair going down a couple goals there; the glimmers of hope with TFC scoring a couple of their own in Montreal; then coughing up another goal to start in Toronto, and continuing with the drama. (IMO, it really sucks that the home & away finals are gone. I realize why, but still...)

Auzzy
10-22-2020, 03:46 PM

I like this idea. Germany and other places are getting screwed up badly, due to the one-time tests for international travellers (among other issues). Their case numbers blew up after the summer holidays. Due to the incubation period before a test will register positive, they're missing way too many cases being brought in. Think of a TFC fan going to the US for a game, and perhaps getting infected at the stadium, or at the bar before or after the game (or in the shared car / bus or whatever). Then coming back to Canada the next day. They will never register positive upon arrival, a day or less after infection. On the other hand, a 6-7 day quarantine plus 2nd test will capture 99% of cases.

benito
10-22-2020, 03:51 PM
I went to the first leg in Montreal with my daughter; and then saw the 2nd leg at BMO. The whole two-game affair is part of what made it amazing for me. From the lines painted wrong in the Big Owe; then the depths of despair going down a couple goals there; the glimmers of hope with TFC scoring a couple of their own in Montreal; then coughing up another goal to start in Toronto, and continuing with the drama. (IMO, it really sucks that the home & away finals are gone. I realize why, but still...)

I went to both legs as well and there so many ups and downs throughout both games. I still got goose bumps today watching extra time goals and can't wait until we can experience that atmosphere again.

Auzzy
10-22-2020, 07:13 PM
I like this idea. Germany and other places are getting screwed up badly, due to the one-time tests for international travellers (among other issues). Their case numbers blew up after the summer holidays. Due to the incubation period before a test will register positive, they're missing way too many cases being brought in. Think of a TFC fan going to the US for a game, and perhaps getting infected at the stadium, or at the bar before or after the game (or in the shared car / bus or whatever). Then coming back to Canada the next day. They will never register positive upon arrival, a day or less after infection. On the other hand, a 6-7 day quarantine plus 2nd test will capture 99% of cases.

Crap, no shorter quarantine required between the 1st and 2nd test?! Bad move. They estimate they'll miss about 20% of the infected travellers during the first test. So those infected folks (symptomatic or not) will be out & about between the 1st and 2nd test. (Will the 2nd test actually be enforced?) They're trying this in Alberta first, which (together with BC and all of Canada) reported a record number of new cases today. Alberta is already 2nd-highest in per-capita infections over 7 days in Canada (behind only Quebec).

https://www.thestar.com/politics/2020/10/22/covid-19-testing-option-to-be-tried-at-calgary-airport-us-border-crossing.html

Initial B
10-22-2020, 08:36 PM
I travelled from Ottawa for the game with my son and 2 friends and we couldn't find a parking spot when we got there. We ended up sprinting 2K to the Big O, worried we'd miss the start amongst the crush of fans still trying to get in. We got to our seats just in time to see them start painting the first set of lines. After the first three goals, I was haunted by the last game in 2015 at Stade Saputo, but then TFC clawed two goals back and I remember us talking on the way back to Ottawa that we felt TFC was in a good position going into Game 2.

Auzzy
10-22-2020, 08:39 PM
I travelled from Ottawa for the game with my son and 2 friends and we couldn't find a parking spot when we got there. We ended up sprinting 2K to the Big O, worried we'd miss the start amongst the crush of fans still trying to get in. We got to our seats just in time to see them start painting the first set of lines. After the first three goals, I was haunted by the last game in 2015 at Stade Saputo, but then TFC clawed two goals back and I remember us talking on the way back to Ottawa that we felt TFC was in a good position going into Game 2.

Oh that's awesome, the messed up lines ended up benefiting you!

spe18
10-22-2020, 09:08 PM

Oh that's awesome, the messed up lines ended up benefiting you!

So 4 years on and we're still talking about the pros and cons from having had to actually watch paint dry lol!

MightyDM
10-22-2020, 10:12 PM
Totally. i hope they bring it back. Two legs was superb.

ag futbol
10-23-2020, 10:18 AM
Totally. i hope they bring it back. Two legs was superb.
Agreed.

It’s impractical for this league to continue to run an NBA / NHL style playoff bracket where more than half the teams make the playoffs. By my crack math based on the table says it’s 66% playoff qualification, what a joke.

Vancouver is Technically sitting in a playoff spot right now at 1.11 points per game. San Jose with -15 goal differential is above the line. Qualification is meaningless.

rydermike
10-24-2020, 11:27 AM
Drew Moor nearly had to become the Rapids player-coach (he ran practices, but games were postponed so he never got the chance in a game)
https://www.denverpost.com/2020/10/23/drew-moor-rapids-player-coach-covid/

ag futbol
10-29-2020, 12:11 PM
So twitter chatter says MLS standings will be determined on a PPG basis.

Seems fair for the teams that are short a game or so due to circumstances but how on earth do you continue to include Colorado?

spe18
10-29-2020, 11:06 PM
So twitter chatter says MLS standings will be determined on a PPG basis.

Seems fair for the teams that are short a game or so due to circumstances but how on earth do you continue to include Colorado?

Official:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/10/29/mls-use-points-game-determine-final-2020-regular-season-standings

Mikmacdo
11-03-2020, 02:02 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/El65l45UYAMDJu8?format=jpg&name=large

thought this was interesting. delgado and auro are underrated.

noxx98
11-03-2020, 03:04 PM

And Pozuelo is on a whole other level.

MikeForbes
11-03-2020, 03:16 PM

They really are. Both have their faults and are kind of boring in how they play, but they are both very key to this team's success.

ag futbol
11-03-2020, 03:52 PM
I’d want to see that chart against MLS more broadly. Our counterparts in Canada aren’t much to compare to. Vancouver has the worst midfield in MLS IMO, which is readily identifiable by that chart.

James17930
11-11-2020, 06:22 PM
How was Ayo not nominated for Young Player of the year?

613reppingTFC
11-12-2020, 09:00 AM
Yeah i was wondering how that got overlooked too. Do they have to have a certain number of games played?

Kamp Berg
11-12-2020, 11:23 AM
Doesn’t appear to have made the shortlist. He was certainly talked about like he was a contender, but probably of victim of timing, having not played much lately.

noimpactinmtl
11-13-2020, 10:14 AM
How was Ayo not nominated for Young Player of the year?

His form petered out after MLS is Back tournament.

James17930
11-13-2020, 08:00 PM
His form petered out after MLS is Back tournament.

He scored 9 goals in 15 games this season. That's still pretty impressive.

rydermike
11-14-2020, 04:26 PM
Enjoy this gem of a moment

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHleH73Bmse/

James17930
11-14-2020, 07:01 PM
^That was good.

ensco
12-01-2020, 04:49 PM
Quoi??????!!!!!!!!

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/1753790/soccer-mls-impact-montreal-fc-changement-nom

Smokecell
12-01-2020, 05:16 PM
We clearly hurt their feelings with the tic tac chant. There’s no other explanation to remove impact.

benito
12-01-2020, 05:32 PM
Yeah, this seems silly.

Impact to change its name to Montreal FC: Report
https://montrealgazette.com/sports/soccer/mls/montreal-impact/impact-to-change-its-name-to-montreal-fc-report

James17930
12-03-2020, 01:26 AM
Also, looks like Ayo has officially chosen the US for his national team career.

It's pretty disappointing the dude can live in Canada for 95% of his life and not feel a strong connection.

OgtheDim
12-03-2020, 07:09 AM
Loyalty to the program that cared about him starting more then 5 years ago.

ag futbol
12-03-2020, 09:30 AM
Also, looks like Ayo has officially chosen the US for his national team career.

It's pretty disappointing the dude can live in Canada for 95% of his life and not feel a strong connection.
Personally I’m not all that fussed about this one. If that’s what he wants, so be it. While he is promising, there is no guarantee he a guaranteed starter for either team.

If I were in his shoes I’d choose Canada. All else equal you should get more opportunities to play. He could easily Bunbury himself choosing the US and you need those national team caps to make a work permit argument in certain EU countries if that’s where you see your career going.

Flip side: the CSA has got to stop making excuses for not scheduling games at both the men’s and u23 levels. If we took care of the things when times were good we wouldn’t be in this awkward situation of wondering if we have to schedule games during a pandemic. And

noxx98
12-03-2020, 10:25 AM
Even though he got called up, he won't be cap tied to the US as it's just friendlies. Makes sense for him to accept the call, keep getting game time and demonstrate himself at the highest levels.

James17930
12-03-2020, 07:42 PM
Even though he got called up, he won't be cap tied to the US as it's just friendlies. Makes sense for him to accept the call, keep getting game time and demonstrate himself at the highest levels.

But at this point, with this much attention, he can't switch to Canada. It would be perceived too badly.

He would've had to do it earlier.

Oh well.

benito
12-09-2020, 04:08 PM
Today is the anniversary of the MLS Cup win!! Can't wait to get back to BMO!

https://twitter.com/TorontoFC/status/1336704608350187520

Smokecell
12-09-2020, 09:32 PM
Akinola opens his account for the USMNT...can’t see the boy switching

Red CB Toronto
12-10-2020, 12:23 AM
Ayo after scoring in his USMNT debut Wednesday night, a 6-0 victory over El Salvador.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/NejpSNDypRadIAOF2KKlljfam6o=/1400x1400/filters:format(jpeg)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/22159176/1290403781.jpg

Red CB Toronto
12-10-2020, 12:24 AM
Putting the ball into the net, Ayo made his USMNT and scored !!

https://www.kxnet.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/16/2020/12/36190e79345348619be6e6317748ddff.jpg?w=2560&h=1440&crop=1

MightyDM
12-10-2020, 02:16 PM
Today is the anniversary of the MLS Cup win!! Can't wait to get back to BMO!

https://twitter.com/TorontoFC/status/1336704608350187520

Brilliant. Sadly, that play started with the kind of play that too easily opened us up this year, and which with quick ball movement we should be using to cut apart the opposition. The problem was right through our spine, and needs to be corrected. This was the way to have beaten Nashville for example, but instead we were vulnerable repeatedly to balls down the middle.

Oldtimer
12-11-2020, 09:51 AM
Former Whitecaps women's team coach charged with sex offences:

https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/12/10/mccormack-relieved-whitecaps-coach-charged/

Kamp Berg
12-11-2020, 10:33 AM
Has anyone been following the story about MLS and Liga MX getting the green light from FIFA and CONCACAF to combine leagues into one super-league? Is it bullshit or a real possibility?

jabbronies
12-11-2020, 10:41 AM
Has anyone been following the story about MLS and Liga MX getting the green light from FIFA and CONCACAF to combine leagues into one super-league? Is it bullshit or a real possibility?

I hope it's BS.

Liga MX is good, but I don't think MLS has to skip through the growing process in order to become more competitive. They are on a good trajectory and IMO, don't need Liga MX to continue to do that.

Liga MX see $$ in the US and wants to break in. MLS is their ticket in.
MLS sees better competition with Liga MX - that will bring better players into the league - and bring more $$ into the league.

I don't think a league merger is the best way to satisfy both leagues needs.

noxx98
12-11-2020, 11:19 AM
Travel would be awful. It's a 5.5 hour flight to get from Toronto to Mexico City. The amount of stress that travel would put on players is huge.

Smokecell
12-11-2020, 11:22 AM
I hope it's BS.

Liga MX is good, but I don't think MLS has to skip through the growing process in order to become more competitive. They are on a good trajectory and IMO, don't need Liga MX to continue to do that.

Liga MX see $$ in the US and wants to break in. MLS is their ticket in.
MLS sees better competition with Liga MX - that will bring better players into the league - and bring more $$ into the league.

I don't think a league merger is the best way to satisfy both leagues needs.

This has nothing to do with MLS wanting better competition. It has all to do with 90% of the most watches games on television in the US being Liga MX. MLS wants to bundle the TV deal and cash in.

Anything else would me marketing spin.