PDA

View Full Version : Match Day 2 - NYCFC @ TFC - Saturday March 7 5pm - When You Hear the Call

OgtheDim
03-01-2020, 08:16 PM
You've Got to Get It Underway

WORD UP

:scarf::flare::drum::megaphone::cheers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZjAantupsA

Have at It People

Mikmacdo
03-01-2020, 08:21 PM
Hopefully Gallardo starts or laryea at right wing. Other than that I would leave the lineup the same as last game. Endoh at left wing instead of shaffleburg who should be loaned to the cpl or converted to left back.

Oldtimer
03-01-2020, 09:15 PM
Let's see if TFC can continue their 11 game unbeaten streak, hopefully with a win this time.

notthesun
03-01-2020, 10:18 PM
Start Fraser or I will be really mad online

MightyDM
03-02-2020, 12:45 AM
Shaff was our most dynamic player in the first half. He destroyed his opposite number on San Jose.

Will be interesting to see what Vanney does. Laryea earned minutes. who knows what Gallardo is doing in training? Endoh earned minutes. Who does Fraser replace? Marky?

I like the formation they played which most of the time looked like a 4-4-2 with Poz under Jozy. It works nicely with the players we have. And shaff Endoh Gallardo Laryea and Nelson all can work within this system. You could also call it a 4-2-3-1.

I thought it was really interesting that when Poz went off they pushed Marky up and not Oso. Suggests they have confidence in Oso's defensive work.

OgtheDim
03-02-2020, 07:50 AM
Sorry - need a thread title edit.

March 7th

kodiakTFC
03-02-2020, 08:09 AM
Shaff was our most dynamic player in the first half. He destroyed his opposite number on San Jose.

Will be interesting to see what Vanney does. Laryea earned minutes. who knows what Gallardo is doing in training? Endoh earned minutes. Who does Fraser replace? Marky?

I like the formation they played which most of the time looked like a 4-4-2 with Poz under Jozy. It works nicely with the players we have. And shaff Endoh Gallardo Laryea and Nelson all can work within this system. You could also call it a 4-2-3-1.

I thought it was really interesting that when Poz went off they pushed Marky up and not Oso. Suggests they have confidence in Oso's defensive work.

Shaff has great energy, pace, and effort but he doesn't have a clue what to do in the box. He is not creative whatsoever. I actually agree Mikmacdo, he should be developed as a LB.

ag futbol
03-02-2020, 09:23 AM
Shaff has great energy, pace, and effort but he doesn't have a clue what to do in the box. He is not creative whatsoever. I actually agree Mikmacdo, he should be developed as a LB.
Agreed. I’ll stick to the assertion he’s just not a forward, rather wide midfielder or wingback.

Oldtimer
03-02-2020, 09:54 AM
Sorry - need a thread title edit.

March 7th

Done.

East Coast Red
03-02-2020, 10:25 AM

I'm pretty sure the change was only made at half time because shaff picked up a knock - light hamstring strain, and he was certainly stretching it at the end of the half.

Joe Kool
03-02-2020, 11:23 AM
Start Fraser or I will be really mad online

Pretty sure Vanney said not starting Fraser last game was tactical only based on how SJ plays. Will see if that is the case this weekend I assume.

Ultra & Proud
03-02-2020, 11:32 AM
I would start Fraser but he didn't look very good on Saturday. Hopefully he hits the ground running with a start rather than a sub.

DinamoTFC
03-02-2020, 11:37 AM

He reminds me of a younger Justin Morrow but with a better ability to cross the ball into the box. Let him have a few more chances as winger coming off the bench then start grooming him for LB, which we will eventually need as a Morrow replacement. I think he could do well as LB.

Yohan
03-02-2020, 04:59 PM
He reminds me of a younger Justin Morrow but with a better ability to cross the ball into the box. Let him have a few more chances as winger coming off the bench then start grooming him for LB, which we will eventually need as a Morrow replacement. I think he could do well as LB.
Do we even know if Shaff can defend?
Last guy TFC tried to force to convert to LB was Edwards and that experiment didn't go so well for Edwards

OgtheDim
03-02-2020, 05:28 PM
Hope you all can find your hand and feet warmers cause its gonna be a cold one.

NK Toronto
03-02-2020, 06:03 PM

If the formation was a 4-4-2 and Poz was behind Jozy, who was the 2nd striker?

As for Shaff, he just might be the least technically capable player on the squad. All speed, little skill.

ensco
03-02-2020, 06:10 PM
I viscerally hate these incredibly stupid and unnecessary winter games.

You cannot play soccer properly when it is this cold.

I don’t want Jozy and Pozo (or anyone) to get hurt. But I hope Vanney only plays those two for 45 minutes.

ag futbol
03-02-2020, 07:39 PM
I’d like to know what the league is thinking putting fixtures like this in early March. Strikes me as clueless.

Would the Texas teams start at noon in the middle of summer?

magmadragon
03-02-2020, 08:30 PM

Which is interesting as Delgado has tended to be the more defensive minded of the two in the past.

ElvistheEvilScotsman
03-02-2020, 08:32 PM
Amen to that. Why can’t we at least have the first three or four games on the road? I’m sure teams in the south would gladly play us now and then play us at home in our summer to escape the heat.

NK Toronto
03-02-2020, 10:23 PM
I suspect that we get these early season home games because we are amongst those teams that have the highest attendance. The league can give us these lousy dates knowing we will still have a decent crowd.

MightyDM
03-03-2020, 12:55 AM
If the formation was a 4-4-2 and Poz was behind Jozy, who was the 2nd striker?

As for Shaff, he just might be the least technically capable player on the squad. All speed, little skill.

OK. 4-4-1-1. Which is a 4-4-2 Variation.

Vanney definitely had the team set up for significant portions of the game as two banks of four, including Shaff Oso Marky Auro; Laryea Oso Marky Auro and Laryea Oso Fraser Auro as the second bank, under Poz and Jozy, Marky and Jozy and Marky and Mullins respectively.

OgtheDim
03-03-2020, 02:39 PM
So, some new food options

https://twitter.com/BMOField/status/1234921431001182208

Usually some beer changes too.

Will have to see....

Red CB Toronto
03-03-2020, 03:14 PM

Unless the coronavirus starts keeping people away.

BendItLikeGio
03-03-2020, 03:29 PM
+3 degrees!!! pffttt thats soft cakes for us!! Thats summer :P

OgtheDim
03-03-2020, 05:06 PM
Team practicing outside - on the grass

https://twitter.com/TorontoFC/status/1234960575735705600

Likely before the rains this afternoon.

OgtheDim
03-04-2020, 12:33 PM
And they are down at BMO on the field today

https://twitter.com/TorontoFC/status/1235253013977194496

Red CB Toronto
03-04-2020, 01:25 PM
And they are down at BMO on the field today

https://twitter.com/TorontoFC/status/1235253013977194496

Yep there for today and tomorrow. What a beautiful day for the boys to be back on out on the pitch ahead of Saturday.

C.Ronaldo
03-04-2020, 02:51 PM
Unless the coronavirus starts keeping people away.

MLSE announce an measures or delays due to sanitizing b4 entry?

OgtheDim
03-04-2020, 02:59 PM
MLSE announce an measures or delays due to sanitizing b4 entry?

Until local health authorities make utterances, nobody is doing a thing. Garber has said MLS is relying upon local authorities, not national, to make decisions.

The only request I would have of MLSE is to make sure the water is warm in the bathrooms and there is a lot of soap. I would hope the 1/3 of guys I see go out of there without washing their hands would think twice but I have my doubts.

Red CB Toronto
03-04-2020, 04:15 PM
Wonder why they are not taking a national lead , I would trust national authorities on this one. We are already seeing NCAA basketball teams cancelling road trips due to concerns. I found it interesting that some teams have pulled out, but the tournament they pulled out of is still going on. Not sure what to make of that. Leadership is needed here and I am not sure we are getting it.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28837362/umkc-play-seattle-fear-coronavirus

Until local health authorities make utterances, nobody is doing a thing. Garber has said MLS is relying upon local authorities, not national, to make decisions.

The only request I would have of MLSE is to make sure the water is warm in the bathrooms and there is a lot of soap. I would hope the 1/3 of guys I see go out of there without washing their hands would think twice but I have my doubts.

OgtheDim
03-04-2020, 04:19 PM
Local health authorities have the power to stop games from going on or not.

See LA - where it hasn't gotten there yet.

https://twitter.com/kbaxter11/status/1235309178983460880

In Toronto, if Toronto Public health wanted to tell MLSE to not have fans at games, not much MLSE could do.

As people keep saying, listen to health authorities in Canada and wash your damn hands.

MikeForbes
03-04-2020, 04:25 PM
And if you do contract corona virus, take solace in the fact that you have over a 96% chance of surviving it.

JonO
03-04-2020, 04:37 PM
Actually, I think it would be more important to your own personal health to wash your hands before you go. Just saying...

Kayaker
03-04-2020, 04:46 PM
And if you do contract corona virus, take solace in the fact that you have over a 96% chance of surviving it.

While I understand the sentiment, let's not be flippant about this. The reported mortality rate of 2% (not 4%, that would be quite a bit worse), this would mean 750,000 deaths in Canada. That's like the entire population of Hamilton.

Yes, it would mean that you probably would survive, but you might infect someone's parent or grandparent or your friend that has diabetes and effectively kill them.

We can all be keyboard warriors on this now, but nobody know what is really going on until the whole thing has blown over.

Auzzy
03-04-2020, 04:47 PM

I would LOVE that, but sadly never gonna happen especially on the west side. The plumbing just isn't right. A few years ago, there was talk of a west-side upgrade which could have fixed a bunch of things including that. But with apparent cost-cutting and less-than-sellout attendance, I seriously doubt to see that in my life.

Actually if you're not very old, don't have pre-conditions, and don't get a very high viral exposure (for example as someone working in the healthcare field might) your chances are much better than that. The +96% reported survival rate is the overall average including the vulnerable population. (It's my 92-year-old mom I'm especially concerned about, for example...)

EDIT: Word Health Organization says 94k cases; 3,200 fatalities; 96.6% survival rate. HOWEVER 94k cases is likely to be more under-reported than the 3,200 fatalities, so the average survival rate is probably even higher. (Somebody check my math please.) Still doesn't help the elderly, folks with asthma / diabetes / heart condition / past cancer patient etc. etc. that you might be infecting, as Kayaker said.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2020/03/04/the-novel-coronavirus-outbreak-is-threatening-to-turn-into-a-global-pandemic-heres-everything-we-know-about-covid-19.html

Chubbs
03-04-2020, 05:10 PM
While I understand the sentiment, let's not be flippant about this. The reported mortality rate of 2% (not 4%, that would be quite a bit worse), this would mean 750,000 deaths in Canada. That's like the entire population of Hamilton.

That's assuming that every single person in Canada gets infected.

Kayaker
03-04-2020, 05:26 PM
That's assuming that every single person in Canada gets infected.

Yes, that's correct. That's why some countries are being so draconian. It's easier to stop a small brushfire than a raging wildfire.

Because 98% of infected survive, and there is a 5-14 day infectious period without symptoms, it doesn't take much to get to the point where everyone will get it. South Korea is doing what they are doing because one person infected up to 40 people (yes, it was a crowded church, but think about a subway ride during rush hour).

OgtheDim
03-04-2020, 05:26 PM
Actually, I think it would be more important to your own personal health to wash your hands before you go. Just saying...

Wash all the time sure.....

but, let's be honest here - people doing a dump & or a leak in a public can, who don't wash their hands are a dangerous monstrosity and should be called out right now for being the lazy assed selfish idiots they are.

I don't want their shit or piss anywhere outside of the bog, thank you very much.

On that helpful note ......

Hourly weather forecast out now saying

Sunny

2 degrees, feeling like -4 SW winds of 29 km/h

Been worse

Mikmacdo
03-04-2020, 05:34 PM
Wash all the time sure.....

but, let's be honest here - people doing a dump & or a leak in a public can, who don't wash their hands are a dangerous monstrosity and should be called out right now for being the lazy assed selfish idiots they are.

I don't want their shit or piss anywhere outside of the bog, thank you very much.

On that helpful note ......

Hourly weather forecast out now saying

Sunny

2 degrees, feeling like -4 SW winds of 29 km/h

Been worse

It's a shame that it will be 10 degree on Sunday. I'm glad the cpl season starts in April.

C.Ronaldo
03-05-2020, 01:48 PM

That's what I mean.
Everyone washing their hands (as they should) would need a 2 hour halftime.
BMO is not equipped for everyone to be washing their hands.

OgtheDim
03-05-2020, 02:17 PM
Shaff is out for this match. DeLeon questionable.

Leach saying Vanney isn't outright saying it but Piatti hasn't started back training yet.

notthesun
03-05-2020, 04:03 PM

Leach saying Vanney isn't outright saying it but Piatti hasn't started back training yet.

34 MLS matches in a season, that's 3,060 available minutes. Halfway point is 1,530. I'm betting the under on that for Piatti... for reference last year Altidore played 1,691 minutes.

Anyways there's a decision to be made with Shaffelburg out, though I wouldn't have started him again anyways. Assuming Fraser starts, one of Delgado or Osorio would be out of the middle 3. I'd like to see Gallardo start at RW so that leaves LW to either Endoh or you push Osorio up there.

Either way I think we could see Nelson off the bench which should be fun.

Joe Kool
03-05-2020, 04:18 PM
So on SportsCentre, they did a comedy bit with who the Oscar should go to for diving between Jozy and Lebron and Jozy was saying he does it and it's part of the game which everyone knows but admitting to it on TV? I hope no MLS refs were watching or the last game we had will be the last one where there is a call we ever get in the box where Jozy is involved even if they take him down legitimately. Or maybe not and no MLS refs watch SportsCentre or look at the MLS website. Let's see if there are some "no call" events this weekend to test the theory.

Red CB Toronto
03-05-2020, 04:58 PM

Well I saw Pablo arrive at BMO this morning. He arrived with Shaff, first two guys in the building. Said he was very happy to be here.

OgtheDim
03-05-2020, 05:13 PM
Hmm...think I misinterpreted the tweet by Leach.

https://twitter.com/MLeach680News/status/1235631746110144512

So listened to the Vanney interview and he's not running yet.

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2020/03/05/training-sound-greg-vanney-march-5-2020?autoplay=true

AdamAM
03-06-2020, 01:35 PM
That's what I mean.
Everyone washing their hands (as they should) would need a 2 hour halftime.
BMO is not equipped for everyone to be washing their hands.

Good point... in my opinion we should be thanking the heroes who don't wash their hands. They ensure that half-time is smooth and efficient. The sacrifice they are making so that ordinary folks can use the sinks is something I've thought about making a small tifo for.

C.Ronaldo
03-06-2020, 02:14 PM
Good point... in my opinion we should be thanking the heroes who don't wash their hands. They ensure that half-time is smooth and efficient. The sacrifice they are making so that ordinary folks can use the sinks is something I've thought about making a small tifo for.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fgiphy.com%2Fgifs%2F9G3wg7lH5DpxC&psig=AOvVaw2PKtvBgQhNHNy-SBukeNit&ust=1583607837070000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCMDv6obFhugCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAIhttps ://www.reddit.com/r/reactiongifs/comments/3vqyn2/mrw_a_guy_comes_to_my_garage_sale_and_calls_the/
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fgiphy.com%2Fgifs%2F9G3wg7lH5DpxC&psig=AOvVaw2PKtvBgQhNHNy-SBukeNit&ust=1583607837070000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCMDv6obFhugCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAI
https://media.giphy.com/media/9G3wg7lH5DpxC/giphy.gif

ag futbol
03-06-2020, 02:35 PM
^ My vote for post of the year.

jazzy
03-06-2020, 08:01 PM
Fact is those hand dryers spread the germs ( or the last guys) worse than leaving your hands wet . These cheapies that give us the barely adequate facilities , and we accept it ,bet it was never mentioned at the forums , need to have paper to dry our hands .

ensco
03-06-2020, 08:07 PM
We are pretty calm here relative to the rest of the world. I am not sure next weekend's game gets played (or at least not in front of fans).

Just a feeling I have based on pace of US news today. I think US sports events are for sure coming to a screeching widespread halt pretty soon.

Red CB Toronto
03-06-2020, 08:16 PM
We are pretty calm here relative to the rest of the world. I am not sure next weekend's game gets played (or at least not in front of fans).

Just a feeling I have based on pace of US news today. I think US sports events are for sure coming to a screeching widespread halt pretty soon.

Thought it was interesting that the San Jose Sharks played their home game last night even after local health officials advised them not to. Will be interesting to see how things proceed in the coming weeks.

OgtheDim
03-07-2020, 07:17 AM
And...finally

Its GAME DAY :scarf:

MikeForbes
03-07-2020, 09:44 AM
How mad is everyone gonna be when Fraser starts on the bench? I can't see Vanney changing the midfield unless he plans to start Pozuelo on the left in Shaff's place.

OgtheDim
03-07-2020, 10:38 AM
I could see us play a 4-4-2 diamond. NYC has no width, not much pace & the defenders tend to sit back. They rely on quick ball movement.

notthesun
03-07-2020, 12:17 PM
How mad is everyone gonna be when Fraser starts on the bench? I can't see Vanney changing the midfield unless he plans to start Pozuelo on the left in Shaff's place.

He featured heavily in pre-season, was talked up by management as the guy to step in while Bradley's away, and Vanney specifically said it was a unique tactical decision in playing SJ to not start him in the opener. So, pretty mad.

ag futbol
03-07-2020, 02:18 PM
He featured heavily in pre-season, was talked up by management as the guy to step in while Bradley's away, and Vanney specifically said it was a unique tactical decision in playing SJ to not start him in the opener. So, pretty mad.
I thought that was a weird decision by Vanney. It very much put short-term tactical considerations ahead of everything else.

Wouldn’t love that decision if I were a developing player at this club.

TomLawrence
03-07-2020, 02:36 PM

Not mad at all. Oso and Delgado are both easily better than him.

TomLawrence
03-07-2020, 02:38 PM
I thought that was a weird decision by Vanney. It very much put short-term tactical considerations ahead of everything else.

Wouldn’t love that decision if I were a developing player at this club.

You wouldn’t love that your manager makes tactical decisions based on different scenarios?

If I were a developing player I’d hate to have a manager incapable of being tactically smart enough to set up game by game. How the hell are you going to learn anything from a manager who blindly just plays the same tactics week in week out with absolutely no regard for the opposition or circumstances.

ag futbol
03-07-2020, 03:26 PM
You wouldn’t love that your manager makes tactical decisions based on different scenarios?

If I were a developing player I’d hate to have a manager incapable of being tactically smart enough to set up game by game. How the hell are you going to learn anything from a manager who blindly just plays the same tactics week in week out with absolutely no regard for the opposition or circumstances.
Big picture: promising prospect patiently waits his turn playing behind one the clubs highest paid players. Struggles to get consistent playing time. Big opportunity comes at start of new season. Held back on bench first game due to “tactics”

Let’s just say what this really is: “tactics” here is really the manager’s preference for more experienced players.

TomLawrence
03-07-2020, 03:34 PM
Big picture: promising prospect patiently waits his turn playing behind one the clubs highest paid players. Struggles to get consistent playing time. Big opportunity comes at start of new season. Held back on bench first game due to “tactics”

Let’s just say what this really is: “tactics” here is really the manager’s preference for more experienced players.

Big picture, it was one game. If Fraser thinks he should be playing every single game then he should leave because frankly he’d be deluded, not to mention nowhere near good enough at football.

The manager prefers better players, not sure how that is meant to be surprising. Delgado and Oso are both easily better than Fraser.

If Fraser wants to go play for a manager who is tactically inept and picks players based on their patience rather than ability then he is free to leave.

oranje boven
03-07-2020, 04:16 PM
Just had my first free Bacardi!
Hats off to the grounds crew, the pitch looks outstanding ... it’s March 7.
Rest of the league needs to take notice of our pitch...eliminate fake grass from this league.

Kiwi10
03-07-2020, 04:16 PM
No Fraser today. Gallardo and Achara in!

Endoh and Shaff not even on the bench.

Ultra & Proud
03-07-2020, 04:23 PM
Like this line up. Looking forward to checking out Gallardo & Achara.

MikeForbes
03-07-2020, 04:26 PM
Time for Gallardo. Excited to see him do some damage.

ManUtd4ever
03-07-2020, 04:34 PM

Agreed. Based on the current rate of transmission in parts of the U.S. - some of which are communal, I think it's inevitable.

It's unfortunate, but it's the right thing to do to prevent the situation from spiraling out of of control.

James17930
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ESiOs7EWAAAqaGI?format=jpg&name=large

And Nelson on the bench. Hopefully we see him too.

OgtheDim
Endoh injured in training.

Side note: no draft beer inside the stadium. Shots and wine and cans only

Mikmacdo
03-07-2020, 04:36 PM
excited to see gallardo and achara.

OgtheDim
03-07-2020, 04:44 PM
They are playing in the white /grey kit.

Given the members all have scarves saying *They shall see Red "....

Ultra & Proud
03-07-2020, 04:59 PM
This new announcer sucks.

notthesun
03-07-2020, 04:59 PM
This is ridiculous. We kiboshed a loan for Fraser after Bradley got injured to apparently stick him on the bench while the coach lies about what he's doing. What the fuck.

Mikmacdo
03-07-2020, 05:04 PM
This is ridiculous. We kiboshed a loan for Fraser after Bradley got injured to apparently stick him on the bench while the coach lies about what he's doing. What the fuck.

It's either Fraser or Osorio start. I'd rather go with Osorio.

barticusz
03-07-2020, 05:05 PM
Fraser has to earn his spot. I trust Vanney.

GhostKiller
03-07-2020, 05:14 PM
Does anyone have a stream? Thx

James17930
03-07-2020, 05:15 PM
http://hdstreams.club/hd/ch5.php

GhostKiller
03-07-2020, 05:17 PM
Much appreciated

James17930
03-07-2020, 05:21 PM
Any announced reason for the delay?

FootBallAZ
03-07-2020, 05:22 PM
Let's get it, don't stop

ag futbol
03-07-2020, 05:22 PM
Big picture, it was one game. If Fraser thinks he should be playing every single game then he should leave because frankly he’d be deluded, not to mention nowhere near good enough at football.

The manager prefers better players, not sure how that is meant to be surprising. Delgado and Oso are both easily better than Fraser.

If Fraser wants to go play for a manager who is tactically inept and picks players based on their patience rather than ability then he is free to leave.
Disagree, it’s much more than one game.

You going to sign this tune the next time we let a Kaye slip through our fingers?

FootBallAZ
03-07-2020, 05:23 PM
Prob wait for stadium to fill

ensco
03-07-2020, 05:25 PM
i count 10 mishit passes in first 2 minutes. This is quality football.

EDIT: Caldwell thinks its the press or something. Hahahahah

James17930
03-07-2020, 05:29 PM
i count 10 mishit passes in first 2 minutes. This is quality football.

EDIT: Caldwell thinks its the press or something. Hahahahah

Better to attempt forward passes and have them picked off than just go sideways and backwards all the time.

The way we play means we will have wayward passes sometimes.

ensco
03-07-2020, 05:32 PM
It’s the conditions.

TomLawrence
03-07-2020, 05:34 PM
Disagree, it’s much more than one game.

You going to sign this tune the next time we let a Kaye slip through our fingers?

If the trade off is completely throwing tactics out the window and picking sides based on patience then yes I’ll keep singing it as that is a completely mental way to run a football club.

Fraser isn’t Kaye anyway. Nor is even Kaye good enough to be intentionally weakening your team for no reason every single game. That isn’t how you develop talent. Your logic would have us in last place with a line up of Fraser, Chapman and Hamilton.

Fraser has huge deficiencies in his game and is nowhere near good enough to play every game. Vanney has just started multiple young players today. Delgado has been a mainstay since he was several years younger than Fraser. Why? Because he showed he was good enough. Fraser hasn’t.

notthesun
03-07-2020, 05:34 PM
Damn that looks just off

ensco
03-07-2020, 05:35 PM
yeah bummer

James17930
03-07-2020, 05:35 PM
Nice!

Edit: my stream is delayed :(

ag futbol
03-07-2020, 05:37 PM
If the trade off is completely throwing tactics out the window and picking sides based on patience then yes I’ll keep singing it as that is a completely mental way to run a football club.

Fraser isn’t Kaye anyway. Nor is even Kaye good enough to be intentionally weakening your team for no reason every single game. That isn’t how you develop talent.

Fraser has huge deficiencies in his game and is nowhere near good enough to play every game. Vanney has just started multiple young players today. Delgado has been a mainstay since he was several years younger than Fraser. Why? Because he showed he was good enough. Fraser hasn’t.
Again, disagree. Delgado has a good number of games with Chivas before he ever arrived here. Would a younger, less experienced version of Delgado ever get the chance to get those minutes under Vanney?

You underestimate how quickly young players can improve and the importance of real game time.

notthesun
03-07-2020, 05:38 PM

Delgado broke into the side because the guy ahead of him in his role was a regular squad player and not Michael Bradley. That's the only difference.

PaceyWinger
03-07-2020, 05:39 PM
VAR is so dumb. Every single one of these players is wearing a chip that knows exactly where they are on the pitch in every split second and yet we have to have 2 sets of eyes watching a video feed on an angle to check whether a guy was on or off side. Could be an instantaneous automatic call.

TomLawrence
03-07-2020, 05:43 PM
Again, disagree. Delgado has a good number of games with Chivas before he ever arrived here. Would a younger, less experienced version of Delgado ever get the chance to get those minutes under Vanney?

You underestimate how quickly young players can improve and the importance of real game time.

Delgado had 38 MLS appearances. Fraser has 24 plus 64 USL plus 4 senior international appearances.

Yes he would. Just like Achara and Gallardo are playing today.

I don’t underestimate anything. I watch and attend 100s of youth premier league matches a year and have been published on many sites for my articles, all of which are based around youth football.

TomLawrence
03-07-2020, 05:44 PM
Delgado broke into the side because the guy ahead of him in his role was a regular squad player and not Michael Bradley. That's the only difference.

Fraser has the very same Delgado and Oso changing position in front of him. Both of whom are miles better than Fraser.

MightyDM
03-07-2020, 05:48 PM
For everyone who was so critical of Shaff last game, Gallardo is showing why Shaff was selected ahead of him. Here’s hoping he picks up his game

MightyDM
03-07-2020, 05:51 PM
Also, Vanney is clearly playing a 4-4-2

James17930
03-07-2020, 05:52 PM
It's only the second game of the season. Give them time.

MightyDM
03-07-2020, 05:53 PM

Yes. We do not need to be told to raise our scarves. Or anything else.

Bushmancan
03-07-2020, 05:55 PM
Fire Caldwell... you don’t have to be a homer but holy crap! If it was against Toronto he would have said it was a penalty, sloppy, shambolic defending... should have known better . Etc

notthesun
03-07-2020, 05:55 PM
Fraser has the very same Delgado and Oso changing position in front of him. Both of whom are miles better than Fraser.

In a deep-lying playmaking role, I very much doubt it.

Fraser has always done well with the scraps Vanney has given him and he was the best player on the pitch against the full U.S. senior side in October. The gap is nowhere near what you're suggesting.

James17930
03-07-2020, 05:56 PM
It probably should have been, but I think the ref thought Morrow was already going down before the contact.

PaceyWinger
03-07-2020, 05:57 PM
Again.. VAR. The offside was letter of the law. No when its a penalty in tbe box the letter of the law somehow doesn't apply. Which is it.

ag futbol
03-07-2020, 06:01 PM
Delgado had 38 MLS appearances. Fraser has 24 plus 64 USL plus 4 senior international appearances.

Yes he would. Just like Achara and Gallardo are playing today.

I don’t underestimate anything. I watch and attend 100s of youth premier league matches a year and have been published on many sites for my articles, all of which are based around youth football.
Delgado had more than double the MLS minutes when he arrived, end of discussion. He also got those minutes when he was a teenager.

The other stuff your quoting (USL) is meaningless. Minutes in USL aren’t a safety blanket for the coach in assessing if you can make it in this league.

MightyDM
03-07-2020, 06:04 PM
Again.. VAR. The offside was letter of the law. No when its a penalty in tbe box the letter of the law somehow doesn't apply. Which is it.
Agreed. Sick of VAR. bring back football

Bushmancan
03-07-2020, 06:08 PM
Who is Caldwell trying to get a job with, Man City. Now he saying the ref was wrong and it should have been a yellow against Osorio. What am I missing?

ag futbol
03-07-2020, 06:10 PM
Nice hit from Achara, that had a lot of bend on it.

Bushmancan
03-07-2020, 06:12 PM
Nice hit from Achara, that had a lot of bend on it.

indeed, nice seeing the attempt

Yohan
03-07-2020, 06:14 PM
It's only one half, but I'm a fan of Achara. Reminds me of Drogba

barticusz
03-07-2020, 06:16 PM
That was an entertain half from what I saw. Definitely great team pressing to get the ball and some nice interplay.

Just got to keep this going to get a result here!

TomLawrence
03-07-2020, 06:17 PM
Delgado had more than double the MLS minutes when he arrived, end of discussion. He also got those minutes when he was a teenager.

The other stuff your quoting (USL) is meaningless. Minutes in USL aren’t a safety blanket for the coach in assessing if you can make it in this league.

Fraser isn’t good enough and doesn’t deserve to play. End of discussion.

MikeForbes
03-07-2020, 06:18 PM
A good half. I am really impressed by how much better they look defensively this year. Dare I say I hardly notice that Bradley isn't out there?

James17930
03-07-2020, 06:19 PM
It's only one half, but I'm a fan of Achara. Reminds me of Drogba

Yeah, he's been good so far. Brings a good presence. Gallardo started to get into the game closer to the half as well. Hopefully we come out of the break strong.

OgtheDim
03-07-2020, 06:20 PM
Achara is.... unpolished. His passing isn't good enough

MikeForbes
03-07-2020, 06:23 PM
Yeah, Achara has some quality and looks to have some great athletic qualitites to build on. With the right coaching and development, I think he might have a chance to be a good MLS winger.

ag futbol
03-07-2020, 06:25 PM
Agreed he’s rough around the edges but he looks like he has a nose for goal. I’ll take it.

Maybe not as an everyday starter but still.

PaceyWinger
03-07-2020, 06:27 PM
Just had my first free Bacardi!
Hats off to the grounds crew, the pitch looks outstanding ... it’s March 7.
Rest of the league needs to take notice of our pitch...eliminate fake grass from this league.

Hard agree on this. The league is obsessed with being considered rising in quality and has players playing on completely inappropriate surfaces.

PaceyWinger
03-07-2020, 06:36 PM
Auro is all over the place today. and not in a good way

ag futbol
03-07-2020, 06:36 PM
Gallardo looks nervous / rusty.

notthesun
03-07-2020, 06:37 PM
I'll say the Gallardo redemption season odds are not looking great given I feel more impressed by Achara than him so far.

PaceyWinger
03-07-2020, 06:37 PM
Oso has looked brilliant tho

PaceyWinger
03-07-2020, 06:41 PM
Gallardo is fast. Only question is whether he's any good at football and the early signs are not positive for a guy bought with TAM.

MikeForbes
03-07-2020, 06:42 PM
God, I hope Piatti can get healthy. This team needs better wing play.

MikeForbes
03-07-2020, 06:57 PM
Tajouri-Shradi always seems like he hurts TFC.

samuraizero
03-07-2020, 07:01 PM
If delgado leaned any further back on that shot lazyboy would sponsor him

ag futbol
03-07-2020, 07:01 PM
I’d give Nelson 10 minutes at the end of this. Achara has run his socks off, not too much to lose.

MikeForbes
03-07-2020, 07:04 PM
Yeah, Nelson on for Achara and maybe Mullins for the final couple minutes.

MikeForbes
03-07-2020, 07:07 PM
Yeah! They earned that bounce!

James17930
03-07-2020, 07:08 PM
Now keep the pressure on! Don't sit back.

TomLawrence
03-07-2020, 07:10 PM
Thankfully Vanney only plays experienced players like Achara.

Yohan
03-07-2020, 07:20 PM
Good win. Could have had couple of more goals. Never really felt threatened by NYCFC.

100 wins for Vanney

gardooney
03-07-2020, 07:25 PM
Reminds me of Benjani.

Mikmacdo
03-07-2020, 07:28 PM
For the love of God start Richie at right wing. Achara at left wing until Piatti is back. I expect Achara to play striker when Jozy is out as well.

MikeForbes
03-07-2020, 07:28 PM
Love it. New York is a top 3 team in the east and we just stifled them.

NK Toronto
03-07-2020, 07:32 PM
God, I hope Piatti can get healthy. This team needs better wing play.

Agreed. Gallardo did not impress, and I view Laryea as more of a fullback than a winger Maybe we should have kept Benezet

ag futbol
03-07-2020, 08:04 PM
For the love of God start Richie at right wing. Achara at left wing until Piatti is back. I expect Achara to play striker when Jozy is out as well.
He’s a good super sub with that pace. Although not unfair to say it’s a toss-up between Endoh and Laryea for the first 11 place.

notthesun
03-07-2020, 08:06 PM
Nice debut from Achara, he improved as the game went along.

We didn't give up much tonight. What I'd give for healthy seasons from Gonzalez and Mavinga...

OgtheDim
03-07-2020, 08:12 PM
One thing in this game can not be taught - scoring.

Achara scores poacher goals.

Work in progress on the rest but....he figures how to score.

Gonzalez is the best CB in the league.

MikeForbes
03-07-2020, 08:32 PM
Wanna mention Osorio. I have never been a big fan, but the way he has played these last two games has really impressed me. He is a better all around player than I gave him credit for.

James17930
03-07-2020, 08:40 PM
Wanna mention Osorio. I have never been a big fan, but the way he has played these last two games has really impressed me. He is a better all around player than I gave him credit for.

Him and Marky controlled the midfield excellently today. Big props.

The main thing I liked about Achaea is that he looked composed. He played within the system well and didn't do anything wild or problematic.

ManUtd4ever
03-07-2020, 09:15 PM
Pretty dominant performance today. The score flattered NYC.

Very impressive debut for Achara. He has maintained his form from pre-season.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-07-2020, 09:16 PM
Not a great game for Gallardo but we know a) he was recently injured, b) he's still adjusting to team play. Time will tell whether he's any good for sure, obviously has speed and was regarded as a decent player in Venezuela. Only question is whether he will be here.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-07-2020, 09:18 PM
Achara looked like he had been playing with Pozo and Jozy for years, hope he can stay fit cuz he looks like a player

mauser09
03-07-2020, 09:49 PM
Pitch looks great and a good turn out at BMO today. Was able to get in with a screenshot of my ticket, no problems.

ag futbol
03-07-2020, 09:56 PM
Agreed, glad someone mentioned that. Pretty damn tidy game playing out of position, impressive.

bhandsome90
03-07-2020, 10:01 PM
I know everyone is hyped with Achara, but I couldn't help but noticed he has the same problems as Shaff. Passing and ball control needs work, but he has promise. I was actually happy with Gallardo and thought the team trusted going to him more than Achara for creating offense, and he was actually playing defense.

nfitz
03-07-2020, 10:15 PM
Any announced reason for the delay?What delay? I didn't notice anything in the stadium. I didn't check the time at kick-off, but they looked on schedule for 5:07 pm at around 5 pm.

The crowd was better than usual at 5 pm - I think a lot of people came earlier, because it's the first match, or with concern about the new ticketing system. The westbound GO arriving at 4:20 pm was standing room only - more crowded than usual (though I'm usually on the later train).

There was no virtually line-ups at the gates at 4:25. Seemed to be going smoothly at the gate. What was it like closer to 5 pm? Perhaps not the cluster-ford I feared.

magmadragon
03-07-2020, 10:22 PM
Achara's situational awareness is really good. It's like he has a sixth sense and knows exactly who is around him at any time. His back and forth exchange with Poz was fun to watch. Impressive debut.

Overall we looked composed out there.

Side note: no draft beer inside the stadium. Shots and wine and cans only

Yeah, something about not wanting to risk the beer lines in this weather.

I'm sure he'll get better in time. Everyone starts somewhere.

PaceyWinger
03-07-2020, 10:41 PM
I do want to give Gallardo the benefit of the doubt though. First real game in a while, so let's see in 5 or 10 hames where he is at.

jazzy
03-07-2020, 10:41 PM

on the winning goal he started the play with a full running soft pass. (Impressed the hell out of me before the goal ) Then ran past everyone to be on the receiving end of Laryea cross.Quick learner .

Areathrasher
03-07-2020, 10:44 PM
Achara fluffed his first couple of passes. Guess nerves on his debut. Rest of the way was fine.

Lil'John
03-07-2020, 11:15 PM
Second game in a row where we have looked excellent! Well done, guys! And a shout out to Marky who was our MOM.
Bring on Nashville!

MikeForbes
03-07-2020, 11:18 PM
No one is talking about who didn't play tonight. We are talking about who played and just how well they did. That is the sure tell sign of a complete team performance.

ensco
03-07-2020, 11:19 PM
Laryea has to be ahead of either Shaff or Gallardo on the org chart. That part I don’t entirely get.

Really, he is an MLS starter, ahead of Auro or whomever on a full strength squad. I don’t get his sub role at all. It's not a small sample - all he does is beat people 1v1

Red CB Toronto
03-07-2020, 11:32 PM
BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/resizer/Nm9tkt6h0HfNG-or8C-NRqpv89U=/3600x0/filters:quality(80)/arc-anglerfish-tgam-prod-tgam.s3.amazonaws.com/public/PPLMTMDV3RDBXC5PYMZLZ2SY7Y.jpg

Joe Kool
03-08-2020, 12:50 AM
Laryea has to be ahead of either Shaff or Gallardo on the org chart. That part I don’t entirely get.

Really, he is an MLS starter, ahead of Auro or whomever on a full strength squad. I don’t get his sub role at all. It's not a small sample - all he does is beat people 1v1

Haha. Funny enough I thought to myself the exact thing at the game tonight. I was telling my son to watch they will pull Gallardo off and put Laryea on and then we will see some 1v1 challenges because all Gallardo was doing was taking the easy pass back. I really wanted to see him take defenders on but there was no threat until Laryea came on. I was about to come on here and comment about it and boom...first place I look there is your comment. I am not alone I guess.

Joe Kool
03-08-2020, 12:54 AM

I thought the same thing today. I was telling people he doesn't get enough credit for all the little touches and plays he does because he really held things together tonight for us in the midfield. Nothing too flashy but just lots and lots of nice little plays.

Joe Kool
03-08-2020, 12:57 AM
Another thing I noticed tonight is that Jozy was ready several times for a through ball that never came and had to stop his run. I kept thinking back to the Giovinco days because he fed them those all night long and why they were so dangerous together. He doesn't get as many of those balls now so not really playing to his strengths with respect to that. Now we seem to go wide majority of the time versus playing him through.

Derko
03-08-2020, 01:52 AM
Thankfully Vanney only plays experienced players like Achara.

A player who has proved himself in pre season at his position, Fraser has not proved himself as a replacement for Bradley and has only had 1 or 2 good games in the past 2 years,
he is still not good enough to start, he is in my mind, the same as Chapman was, not very good at his position, but has some more time, who knows maybe Fraser is lazy in training much like Jordan Hamilton and does not deserve a start.

notthesun
03-08-2020, 02:22 AM
he is still not good enough to start, he is in my mind, the same as Chapman was

I told myself I would stop posting on this topic but, jesus christ

James17930
03-08-2020, 02:57 AM
What delay? I didn't notice anything in the stadium. I didn't check the time at kick-off, but they looked on schedule for 5:07 pm at around 5 pm.

The crowd was better than usual at 5 pm - I think a lot of people came earlier, because it's the first match, or with concern about the new ticketing system. The westbound GO arriving at 4:20 pm was standing room only - more crowded than usual (though I'm usually on the later train).

There was no virtually line-ups at the gates at 4:25. Seemed to be going smoothly at the gate. What was it like closer to 5 pm? Perhaps not the cluster-ford I feared.

My stream didn't start until 15 mins after the hour, so I thought there might have been a delay.

OgtheDim
03-08-2020, 08:10 AM
Random thoughts the next day

Crowd was in preseason form. Cold weather game does that. Loud and engaged as usual but not quite on. Will be better next week.

NYC is a decent team but their attacking players are not all that interested in defence. Johnson was good last night but he's prone to a gaffe and I was just waiting for something.

NYC controlled the ball for a whole chunk of time and we were able to sit back and defend. NOBODY was going at our 2 CB's. It was all around the perimeter.

Westberg's distribution when hurried wasn't up to his usual standards BUT...the guy makes saves and he is very good with both feet.

Gallardo last year took LB's on when he played - this game, for some reason, he kept going back. I think that's coaching. But, he got injured so who knows when we'll see him again.

Laryea is a baller and effective at finding the spot to get crosses in.

Our interchanges across the top of the box are the best in the league right now - better then LAFC and I'd say equal to Atlanta when they have Martinez. We play a quality of attacking game that is worth the price of admission.

Achara prefers his right foot and comes in / back to make the pass. NYC didn't suss that out but other teams will. He will end up having to cross the ball with his left.

Poz tries so many things and they don't work that sometimes people get frustrated with him. Thing to remember - Pozuelo needs just 2 chances a game - he hit the corner of the posts with one and put in Laryea with the second. He did more then those 2 but he ALWAYS gets at least 2.

Pozuelo was coming back to defend more then he did against SJE.

Jozy occupies space and it takes time for people to wear down against him - both their CB's were on yellows by the end of the first half. Job done.

Morrow just might end up being one of those guys who can play decent LB until he's 36.

Auro must have a hand sweating problem because he ALWAYS wants a new ball to throw in - cost him a yellow last night. Also loses momentum for us.

Delgado's passing was more off then most but the man defends and creates fouls on himself - he was fouled more then anybody else last night. Going to miss him next season.

Agree with others on Osorio - he was the rock in the middle last night. Against that team, that midfield 3 was the better choice. I suspect Fraser will be in against Nashville, who are way less dynamic going forward and in defence.

CBTFC
03-08-2020, 08:11 AM
Lots of takeaways from the game and they are certainly mostly positive (imo)

-Q's ability to play the ball out with both of his feet makes him a bit of a sweeper keeper of sorts/to a degree. It can be a bit nerve-wracking to watch but he gets it done

-Achara settling into the game as it went on, this kid is a beast and it'll be fun to watch him grow and mature.

-Our CB pairing feels "complete" for what I might say is the first time ever. Mavinga and Omar each have distinctive strengths that work well together.

-Was a bit concerned not having Bradley out there for the first month or two, but Delgado and Osorio have settled that for me (for now).

4 points from two games, so far so good.

OgtheDim
03-08-2020, 08:43 AM
Doyle on Poz

https://twitter.com/MattDoyle76/status/1236481386569179141

snowcrash
03-08-2020, 09:21 AM

Fraser isn’t Kaye anyway. Nor is even Kaye good enough to be intentionally weakening your team for no reason every single game. That isn’t how you develop talent. Your logic would have us in last place with a line up of Fraser, Chapman and Hamilton.

One of the biggest deficiencies in Fraser's game is that his speed limits his field coverage.

I think he's starter quality based on his vision and passing skills when TFC has the ball but on the defensive side, particularly when the other team has a quick counter from a turnover, Fraser can't track back fast enough.

Bushmancan
03-08-2020, 09:52 AM
Random thoughts the next day

Laryea is a baller and effective at finding the spot to get crosses in.

Our interchanges across the top of the box are the best in the league right now - better then LAFC and I'd say equal to Atlanta when they have Martinez. We play a quality of attacking game that is worth the price of admission.

Achara prefers his right foot and comes in / back to make the pass. NYC didn't suss that out but other teams will. He will end up having to cross the ball with his left.

Poz tries so many things and they don't work that sometimes people get frustrated with him. Thing to remember - Pozuelo needs just 2 chances a game - he hit the corner of the posts with one and put in Laryea with the second. He did more then those 2 but he ALWAYS gets at least 2.

Pozuelo was coming back to defend more then he did against SJE.

Jozy occupies space and it takes time for people to wear down against him - both their CB's were on yellows by the end of the first half. Job done.

Great observations, that is what i was referring to earlier in the year. There are so many options when you add someone beyond Jozy and Poz upfront (Same as Gio and Jozy... when we added Vasquez, everyone looked better). Jozy beats defenders up, it takes time and what we miss when he is injured.

I am hoping the Achara observation is only because no one has pressed him to his left (hoping he has one)... if he does we are going to be very difficult to keep off the board. Add even a reasonably healthy Piatti and look out.

Couldn’t get to the game but was really pissed at Caldwell’s color commentary, I thought someone should have called him out. We have been in 3 of the last 4 Finals.

He is TFC’s voice to the viewers (long term and newbies), the call was right on the penalty but the commentary could have been around the build up... your observation on the top of the box interchanges were bang on and yet Caldwell focused on... its coming back and later in the game saying we were average at best today. On the Osorio play, he was talking about how it should have been a yellow as opposed to “what a great job, tracking back”. His commentary was about how sliding through a player is a yellow... well where was that when Columbus took Jozy out last fall, Caldwell back then was saying “magnificent tackle” for the other team...wtf. It is almost as if he is deep down jealous at the team success. I thought Osorio was in excellent form.

It would have been easy for him to say ...”when these guys put into 3rd gear, we are going to be a fun team to watch.”

I am not looking for a shill but come on, the team has played two solid games, get the fan base interested in the team.

Edit - It seriously makes me want to shut of the sound, but there are no other feeds because he is on the radio as well

Other than that great start for the boys... put the foot to the floor on Nashville

:scarf:

COYRs

Eastend
03-08-2020, 10:42 AM
Westberg can't play the ball...holds it wayyyyyy too long and even when he has time his distribution is crap. I don't know if he hit anyone yesterday aside from fans on the side line.

Kiwi10
03-08-2020, 10:59 AM
Love to see the continued dominance against NYCFC. With Martinez out for ATL, early days are starting to look good for us in the East this year.

Lots of positives from the game. Another good step forward from last week which still looked closer to preseason form. Was impressed that Achara was able to step into things so quickly. Had some great interplay with Pozuelo and some quick give and go's at one point and a real nose for the net. Went into the game hoping for Gallardo's coming out party but came out wanting an Achara jersey!

Morrow looked more stable than last week which was great, though I don't think we're going to see the same attacking level from him we had in 2017 and before. Not the best game from Auro.

Love what Delgado does for us but offense just dies on his foot. I don't think other teams mind him having the ball outside the box because they know he's never going to shoot or cross, just pass back to Auro.

Do we actually have wing depth now? Switched up both starters from last week and looked good. All without Piatti or Deleon yet.... but the injuries keep stacking up. Endoh too? Gallardo again? Somethings off if this many guys go down in pre-season.

Going to try watch Nashville Portland tonight to see what we can expect next week. Hoping for dominance.

Stress
03-08-2020, 12:11 PM
Overall pretty pleased and for all those who may have looked off or some of the off plays, I’m going to give a pass on due to the cold. Can’t be easy for a guy like Gallardo to play his peak performance under those conditions. Hard to get a good feel for the ball when your feet are cold so I’m sure many opted for the safest options.

Derko
03-08-2020, 12:20 PM
Westberg can't play the ball...holds it wayyyyyy too long and even when he has time his distribution is crap. I don't know if he hit anyone yesterday aside from fans on the side line.

Surly you jest, Westburg has great ball handling, what I like in particular is on a back pass far too many keepers in particular Bono don't or won't control the ball and just hoof it up field, Westburg controls the ball and passes so TFC keeps possession. Maybe it was a one off, I saw that Westburg played well. Perception I guess

CBTFC
03-08-2020, 01:39 PM

Gonna have to politely disagree with you, slightly. Simply because he holds it in his feet longer doesn't mean he "can't play the ball". I'd say that's a sign of the opposite. That he feels comfortable and confident enough in his ability to handle the ball with both feet than other keepers.

Sure hitting the target in outfield players needs improvement, but that will come.

Mikmacdo
03-08-2020, 04:41 PM
Great observations, that is what i was referring to earlier in the year. There are so many options when you add someone beyond Jozy and Poz upfront (Same as Gio and Jozy... when we added Vasquez, everyone looked better). Jozy beats defenders up, it takes time and what we miss when he is injured.

I am hoping the Achara observation is only because no one has pressed him to his left (hoping he has one)... if he does we are going to be very difficult to keep off the board. Add even a reasonably healthy Piatti and look out.

Couldn’t get to the game but was really pissed at Caldwell’s color commentary, I thought someone should have called him out. We have been in 3 of the last 4 Finals.

He is TFC’s voice to the viewers (long term and newbies), the call was right on the penalty but the commentary could have been around the build up... your observation on the top of the box interchanges were bang on and yet Caldwell focused on... its coming back and later in the game saying we were average at best today. On the Osorio play, he was talking about how it should have been a yellow as opposed to “what a great job, tracking back”. His commentary was about how sliding through a player is a yellow... well where was that when Columbus took Jozy out last fall, Caldwell back then was saying “magnificent tackle” for the other team...wtf. It is almost as if he is deep down jealous at the team success. I thought Osorio was in excellent form.

It would have been easy for him to say ...”when these guys put into 3rd gear, we are going to be a fun team to watch.”

I am not looking for a shill but come on, the team has played two solid games, get the fan base interested in the team.

Edit - It seriously makes me want to shut of the sound, but there are no other feeds because he is on the radio as well

Other than that great start for the boys... put the foot to the floor on Nashville

:scarf:

COYRs
I agree, caldwell is good at two things, being negative and barely speaking english. I have no idea why he even has a job as a colour commentator, give his job to dunfield.

ensco
03-08-2020, 04:46 PM
Westberg was man of the match. Made at least three big saves on serious chances.

Eastend
03-08-2020, 06:45 PM
Surly you jest, Westburg has great ball handling, what I like in particular is on a back pass far too many keepers in particular Bono don't or won't control the ball and just hoof it up field, Westburg controls the ball and passes so TFC keeps possession. Maybe it was a one off, I saw that Westburg played well. Perception I guess

Gonna have to politely disagree with you, slightly. Simply because he holds it in his feet longer doesn't mean he "can't play the ball". I'd say that's a sign of the opposite. That he feels comfortable and confident enough in his ability to handle the ball with both feet than other keepers.

Sure hitting the target in outfield players needs improvement, but that will come.

Yeah, not convinced, and it wasn't just yesterday. He holds it way too long and gets so close to getting caught. Teams are figuring it out, like NYC yesterday when they continuously pressured him and he had to kick it away often.

OgtheDim
03-08-2020, 07:45 PM
He kicked it out of touch twice - not his best day.

boozilla
03-08-2020, 08:10 PM
So-so game, but I still can't decide who is worse to listen to:
Caldwell's 'grumpy Scotsman' or Rauter's 'folksy bonspieler'?

Prof
03-08-2020, 09:11 PM

This is the funniest thing I have ever read on here. Westberg greatest attribute is his distribution of the ball. This is why he is our first choice keeper. Perhaps you had too many of these :drinking::drinking::drinking:

ag futbol
03-08-2020, 09:15 PM
Yeah, not convinced, and it wasn't just yesterday. He holds it way too long and gets so close to getting caught. Teams are figuring it out, like NYC yesterday when they continuously pressured him and he had to kick it away often.
That’s often intentional. The players who press move in and if the next wave isn’t fast enough Westberg just bought his teammates that much more time with the ball.

He’ll get caught some day, for certain. However, doesn’t mean we should stop.

Keepers playing the ball at their feet and skirting danger is increasingly a part of the game. We’re way ahead of many of the other teams in MLS who’s keeper reflexively put it into midfield and wouldn’t dare make a short pass under the slightest whif of pressure.

MightyDM
03-08-2020, 09:17 PM

He holds it too long, yes. Vanney has to work that out of him. But his distribution is superb. Last year I heard him yell “Jay” and play a ball right to Chapman - 50 yards away. That’s what he is like more often than not, in fact usually.

PizzaEatingYeti
03-09-2020, 02:33 AM
Just 3 observations after this match:

- I am very happy for Achara, at this point he looks like a great, great, great pickup, and at the same time making the TFC braintrust being a genius for this choice at the draft....
- so far Gallardo looks like a bust to me, I hope I am very wrong
- Richie should be a STARTER on this team. Why the hell is this not obvious yet for almost anyone???

East Coast Red
03-09-2020, 08:41 AM

I want some of what you're smoking.

GhostKiller
03-09-2020, 09:59 AM
So-so game, but I still can't decide who is worse to listen to:
Caldwell's 'grumpy Scotsman' or Rauter's 'folksy bonspieler'?

Someone on here linked to a SkySport stream. The announcers were amazing. They had great MLS and TFC knowledge as well. The games are soooooo much more enjoyable when you don't have to listen to Caldwell or Rauter.

Bushmancan
03-09-2020, 11:32 AM
Someone on here linked to a SkySport stream. The announcers were amazing. They had great MLS and TFC knowledge as well. The games are soooooo much more enjoyable when you don't have to listen to Caldwell or Rauter.

Completely agree, even listening to the 5 minute MLS recap of their live feed...https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/03/07/toronto-fc-1-nycfc-0-2020-mls-match-recap was so much better. I might have to start shutting the TV sound off and timing it with other feeds for audio. Used to do that for MLB back in the day. I thought they were brutal and I would would wonder why i was following the team if I didn't know better. Not remotely saying that i could do their job but holy crap, have some home team enthusiasm.

fergiejr
03-09-2020, 02:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC4lHJoG7Ro&feature=youtu.be

Video of the march. You can spot some of our fellow RPB in the front, including our VEEP!

Mikmacdo
03-09-2020, 02:42 PM
Completely agree, even listening to the 5 minute MLS recap of their live feed...https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/03/07/toronto-fc-1-nycfc-0-2020-mls-match-recap was so much better. I might have to start shutting the TV sound off and timing it with other feeds for audio. Used to do that for MLB back in the day. I thought they were brutal and I would would wonder why i was following the team if I didn't know better. Not remotely saying that i could do their job but holy crap, have some home team enthusiasm.

I will def be looking for a sky sports feed. Caldwell is a miserable fuck.

Red CB Toronto
03-09-2020, 03:39 PM
I will def be looking for a sky sports feed. Caldwell is a miserable fuck.

The Captain says how he sees it, honest and pulls no punches. As our former Captain of the Reds, he will always have my support.

Yohan
03-09-2020, 08:07 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Oh6SThscd8

Philly vs LAFC is an instant classic. Might be best game of the season for entertainment value.

NK Toronto
03-09-2020, 08:27 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Oh6SThscd8

Philly vs LAFC is an instant classic. Might be best game of the season for entertainment value.

What I enjoyed the most about this hi-light package was having the commentator refer to the team as "Toronto" without adding "FC" afterwards, which Wileman feels obligated to do

magmadragon
03-10-2020, 12:14 PM
What I enjoyed the most about this hi-light package was having the commentator refer to the team as "Toronto" without adding "FC" afterwards, which Wileman feels obligated to do

Sky Sports has been producing these the past few seasons. That's why it's different.

nfitz
03-10-2020, 03:04 PM
My stream didn't start until 15 mins after the hour, so I thought there might have been a delay.I think it was just about 5 sharp or so when they first half ended ... so they might have kicked off around 4:09 or so ... a couple of minutes late, with the 6-minutes of injury time (and nothing more!). But kick-off was well before 4:15.

OgtheDim
03-10-2020, 07:57 PM
Uh, that was the NYC commentators.

MightyDM
03-10-2020, 09:47 PM
just saw the replay of the foul on Morrow in the box in the first half - if you can get the replay on DAZN watch it. Clear penalty, and the NYC commentators call it! I hate VAR but if you are going to have it, use it properly. Quite astonishing. Knee on knee.

MightyDM
03-10-2020, 10:49 PM
Really instructive to watch that replay.

we played a very standard 4-4-2

Jozy doesnt have his shooting boots and Poz desnt have his passing boots

Oso is Bradleys replacement

Gallardo isnt as bad in replay as he looked live but has a long way to go

Laryea changed the game

Some of Q's distribution was incredible - in 90 + (when we needed it) he kicks it right to Jozy who controls it then lays it off to Poz. important moment.

Q very good otherwise. Bono in tough to get his position back

Marky played very well.

Achara.

MightyDM
03-10-2020, 11:18 PM
Dont watch the replays of the non call of the penalty against Morrow and the penalty given in the Minnesota game. It will drive you crazy.