PDA

View Full Version : Match Day 1 - TFC @ San Jose Sat Feb 29th 5:30pm - Take me to Emotion, I want to Go..

OgtheDim
02-21-2020, 07:39 AM
All the way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qlsu7RhOnsQ

Have at It People

ensco
02-21-2020, 08:02 AM
If we think our team did nothing in the offseason....

Nicest stadium in MLS. So I have been told.

Smokecell
02-21-2020, 09:26 AM
Doubt Piatti plays a big part after missing the target of playing Weds. If he is not in the 18 for tomorrow’s friendly I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s out v SJ altogether.

pfk
02-21-2020, 10:45 AM
Whoa, I can't believe the season is starting already.

2-1 for the good guys.

jazzy
02-21-2020, 01:14 PM
An important game as many teams are young and really giving it a shot , which can only be great entertainment. San Jose may not be a contender, hence ALL games are important . We are relying on a past formula and everyone is older . It will be interesting in the season if we have the speed . San Jose with Almeyda as coach will have that . I'm worried , is it me, it seems our relied on starters are all fragile maybes? That's a losing season if so . Where's the juice ? Josie , yes when in the groove , Pozuelo always....Osario (has to move up to his pay class and carry us) . Love to see some young blood given the chance , that's our speed .

ensco
02-22-2020, 04:17 PM
Pozo rested at last. I hope Almeyda tries to man mark him.

MikeForbes
02-22-2020, 04:41 PM
Westberg
Auro-Gonzalez-Mavinga-Morrow
Delgado - Fraser
Pozuelo
Endoh - Altidore - Osorio

Piatti comes on in the second half along with Gallardo and Laryea.

James17930
02-22-2020, 05:16 PM
Westberg
Auro-Gonzalez-Mavinga-Morrow
Delgado - Fraser
Pozuelo
Endoh - Altidore - Osorio

Piatti comes on in the second half along with Gallardo and Laryea.

Could see that.

Or they start with speed - so Gallardo and Piatti first, then go more defensive after if they get the lead.

jloome
02-22-2020, 06:05 PM
Pozo rested at last. I hope Almeyda tries to man mark him.

Him and Piatti and Oso and maybe Gallardo. We have some mazy players this year.

Assuming Piatti isn't fully fluid yet with the first team, I'd maybe go with

Laryea - Gonzalez - Mavinga - Morrow
-----------------fraser ---
--------Pozuelo----Osorio-----------------
DeLeon--------------------Gallardo
--------------Altidore

Maybe bring in Achara late for DeLeon or Altidore (apparently he can play wide and inside), Piatti for Gallardo.

Or as we're on the road we could play more conservatively.

----------Delgado----Osorio--------------
DeLeon------Pozuelo--------Gallardo
--------------Altidore

gracos
02-22-2020, 06:16 PM
https://twitter.com/Beezersun/status/1231352959365242880

Piatti maybe out for the next 2 games, already looking not great for him and being a useful player if he is this injury prone

Mikmacdo
02-22-2020, 06:46 PM
Him and Piatti and Oso and maybe Gallardo. We have some mazy players this year.

Assuming Piatti isn't fully fluid yet with the first team, I'd maybe go with

-----------------fraser ---
--------Pozuelo----Osorio-----------------
DeLeon--------------------Gallardo
--------------Altidore

Maybe bring in Achara late for DeLeon or Altidore (apparently he can play wide and inside), Piatti for Gallardo.

Or as we're on the road we could play more conservatively.

----------Delgado----Osorio--------------
DeLeon------Pozuelo--------Gallardo
--------------Altidore

Auro is the starter.

Auro-omar-mavinga-morrow
Delgado-fraser-delgado
Endoh-jozy-pozuelo

red-o
02-22-2020, 06:50 PM
You really like Marky!

OgtheDim
02-22-2020, 07:01 PM
Sooo we are going to go into this without 2, maybe 3, of our DP / Tam players.

Underdogs again...I kinda like it.

West conference road game - no expectations. Get a point, we be doing fine.

reggie
02-22-2020, 07:09 PM
jozy has a sore hip.but its minor...lol my ass...he is probs out 4 weeks...the guy hasnt played a meaningful game in 5 mths and has already had 2 injuries in camp.and we gave him a pay increase:facepalm:

MikeForbes
02-22-2020, 07:28 PM
We ever get any idea of what is going on with Gallardo? He hasn't played since the first preseason game. With Jurgen Damm potentially coming to MLS as a TAM player, those funds could of been better spent if Vanney has no plans for him.

Mikmacdo
02-22-2020, 07:44 PM
We ever get any idea of what is going on with Gallardo? He hasn't played since the first preseason game. With Jurgen Damm potentially coming to MLS as a TAM player, those funds could of been better spent if Vanney has no plans for him.

Gallardo isn't even a tam player anymore. He was only a tam player cause his purchase fee. His salary is fairly cheap but yeah he better do something this year.

Areathrasher
02-23-2020, 08:23 AM
Damm is like Tos Rickets. All speed and fuck all end product.

One of the most frustrating wingers in world football.

Bushmancan
02-23-2020, 09:10 AM
Damm is like Tos Rickets. All speed and fuck all end product.

One of the most frustrating wingers in world football.

But there is something fun about the Ricketts, ODuros and Damms.... its like seeing them explode with speed, hoping for something and and deep down knowing that they are going to implode in some way not yet known. Just plain fun.

But effort always there!!

Richard
02-23-2020, 10:13 AM
jozy has a sore hip.but its minor...lol my ass...he is probs out 4 weeks...the guy hasnt played a meaningful game in 5 mths and has already had 2 injuries in camp.and we gave him a pay increase:facepalm:

What more can be said. Sigh.
:deadhorse:

MightyDM
02-23-2020, 12:23 PM
will Mullins start up front? I am guessing yes.

Auro Omar Mavinga Morrow
fraser osorio
pozeulo

(or)

( fraser
osorio pozuelo )

gallardo Mullins shaff

Off the Bench - Marky for Fraser 60 minutes, Achara for Mullins, DeLeon for Shaff. There is going to be competition for minutes this year. Laryea deserves minutes, Endoh deserves minutes

Auzzy
02-23-2020, 12:30 PM
will Mullins start up front? I am guessing yes.

Auro Omar Mavinga Morrow
fraser osorio
pozeulo

(or)

( fraser
osorio pozuelo )

gallardo Mullins shaff

Off the Bench - Marky for Fraser 60 minutes, Achara for Mullins, DeLeon for Shaff. There is going to be competition for minutes this year. Laryea deserves minutes, Endoh deserves minutes

For some unknown reason (that TFC journos could ask about if they still existed), Gallardo has once again hardly featured in the pre-season games. I would guess Endoh starts over him?

MightyDM
02-23-2020, 12:33 PM
For some unknown reason (that TFC journos could ask about if they still existed), Gallardo has once again hardly featured in the pre-season games. I would guess Endoh starts over him?

Yes, you are probably right. its a bit weird to be honest. Might also mean Deleon gets the start.

I actually like our line up when we have at least one of Jozy or Piatti playing. Question obviously is can Fraser play with Oso and Poz or does he need Marky to sit in with him.

Captain
02-25-2020, 09:48 AM
Anyone going to the TFC viewing party? Is this a good idea?

Graeme
02-25-2020, 11:06 AM
I'm going to guess:

----------------Westberg----------------
--Auro--Gonzalez--Mavinga--Morrow--
-----------------Fraser------------------
---Pozuelo----------------Osorio-------
--Gallardo-----Altidore---Shaffelberg--

With subs from Delgado, Laryea and Deleon (or maybe Achara!)

Joe Kool
02-25-2020, 12:41 PM
Anyone going to the TFC viewing party? Is this a good idea?

My wife and I booked spots at the viewing party. I will likely go unless something comes up. Haven't been to a TFC FO run event for a while. When talking to my wife about it she asked if any players were going to be there....I smiled at stared at her for a while then it hit her....away game viewing party so the team is away....haha...too funny.

OgtheDim
02-25-2020, 12:57 PM
In your wife's defence, I recall some injured players going to those event. Might see Bradley.

Joe Kool
02-25-2020, 03:25 PM
In your wife's defence, I recall some injured players going to those event. Might see Bradley.

Yeah I told her that. You never know if some players that are not making the trip might show up at this thing. I thought at the time she was thinking more of the "After 90 Minute" party days though and she admitted that she was....I know the way my wife thinks after so many years...LOL....but you have a good point.

Avon
02-25-2020, 04:26 PM
Where are folks planning to watch the match? (now with Shoeless on King shut down)

dmacd
02-25-2020, 05:29 PM
I have two tickets to the viewing party that I now can't use. Send me a message if you'd like them.

Joe Kool
02-25-2020, 07:56 PM
I have two tickets to the viewing party that I now can't use. Send me a message if you'd like them.

Don’t they have your name on their list and you just show ID or something at the door? I got the email confirmation but didn’t see anything about actual tickets.

Captain
02-25-2020, 11:34 PM
Don’t they have your name on their list and you just show ID or something at the door? I got the email confirmation but didn’t see anything about actual tickets.
I got tickets in my TFC app for this.

Ultra & Proud
02-26-2020, 04:34 PM
Jozy to start and wear the armband. Gallardo back to full training after the groin issue.

Last weeks hip soreness = load management

Joe Kool
02-26-2020, 06:04 PM
I got tickets in my TFC app for this.

Interesting. I didn't get through with the member offer and got through with the public invite so I guess it was done differently because they sent me and the wife a confirmation by email and told us to bring photo ID and that was it. I had to go back and doublecheck. Didn't want to be turned away at the door :)

Mikmacdo
02-26-2020, 06:27 PM
Hoping to see this lineup start.

Q
Auro-omar-mavinga-morrow
Osorio-fraser-delgado
Gallardo-jozy-poz

OgtheDim
02-28-2020, 03:23 PM
I look forward to seeing a number of questions start to be answered:

what can all 4 of our defenders do without Michael Bradley calling out things from in front of the line? Westberg is vocal as is Gonzalez. They've spent all preseason without Bradley.

Frasier has a tendency not to follow mids who are coming late into the box - Delgado & Osorio used to have the same problem but Vanney eventually wrung that out of them.

How will Delgado do in his contract year?

Who's going to be the forward brought in as sub?

Poz rested gets us what?

Will Jozy as captain bring a bit more responsbility to a guy who usually plays really hot headed?

Can Gallardo get time on the ball when being man marked?

Is Morrow a year older slower?

Ultimately, is this still the "effin team that effin works"? Do that, against a different opponent in the first game out West, and I'll be happy with a draw

daner90
02-28-2020, 04:46 PM
It will be really interesting to see what the first match of the year brings. I follow the team very closely and it feels like with the lack of coverage in camp and preseason I have no idea what to expect out of our side. Here's hoping we start with 3 points out west

James17930
02-28-2020, 05:00 PM
I don't know why, but I have a weird feeling that we're going to crush them like 4-0.

Jozy with a brace, then Achara will come on and get a brace.

Why not?

:drum::flare::drum::flare:

Hamilton_Red
02-29-2020, 12:55 AM
This team knows how to win...it expects to win. There’s a few folk that have something to prove...to break through...Delgado playing for his a bigger contract...Altidore pissed he missed the play off run...we have some real depth and real competition for spots.

3-1 for the Reds tomorrow.

OgtheDim
02-29-2020, 07:18 AM
Game Day :scarf:

East Coast Red
02-29-2020, 08:09 AM
I don't know why, but I have a weird feeling that we're going to crush them like 4-0.

Jozy with a brace, then Achara will come on and get a brace.

Why not?

Why not indeed! One thing following football all my life has taught me, is that the first game of the season is always full of optimism.

ensco
02-29-2020, 08:19 AM
Game is apparently a sellout but I wonder if the news flow from the western US in the last 24 hours will have an impact on attendance?

I don’t have any idea what to think about our chances today. We have had some good away wins in season openers in recent years. I think we will score, Jozy+Pozo could be impossible to handle. But I think we will allow chances too.

(Site of the worst TFC game I ever watched. They beat us with 9 men a few years back.)

DavemTFC
02-29-2020, 08:57 AM
If anyone wants to revisit and think about what went wrong or if you just really like pain, the MLS youtube account is streaming a replay of MLS cup here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP6gRMvmBuU

edit - Just finished watching. I'd forgotten how brutal Benezet was in the second half, though he was pretty good in the first

Auzzy
02-29-2020, 09:25 AM
If anyone wants to revisit and think about what went wrong or if you just really like pain, the MLS youtube account is streaming a replay of MLS cup here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP6gRMvmBuU

Side benefit of getting older and my memory getting worse: I used to remember all kinds of details about past games, especially important ones. Now I can hardly remember what happened in recent games, even the 2019 MLS Cup.

MikeForbes
02-29-2020, 10:07 AM
Gonna be an interesting game. San Jose is low on talent but is probably one of, if not the best coached team in MLS. I see a 1-1 draw. Gallardo with a late goal as a substitute.

MightyDM
02-29-2020, 10:18 AM
Game is apparently a sellout but I wonder if the news flow from the western US in the last 24 hours will have an impact on attendance?

I don’t have any idea what to think about our chances today. We have had some good away wins in season openers in recent years. I think we will score, Jozy+Pozo could be impossible to handle. But I think we will allow chances too.

(Site of the worst TFC game I ever watched. They beat us with 9 men a few years back.)

Will there be road warriors?

OgtheDim
02-29-2020, 12:00 PM
Just a reminder what happened last year

Wondo scored. This pic was taken just before his second. Wondo pointed RIGHT AT WHERE HE WANTED IT - Westberg is pointing out that he is pointing out. There are 3 guys between the ball and Wondo. He still scores. Exactly where he pointed to. We let them pass the ball low and hard across the top of the 6 yard box and he gets a tap in without anybody marking the top MLS scorer of all time. It took months for me to trust our defence again.

We HAVE to stop things like this today. SJE feeds on stupidity caused by guys getting mentally tired from 90 minutes of man on man coverage. Play our game, and I'll also accept a little first match rustiness and the like - but the defence has to not do stupid stuff.

https://pbs.twimg.com/ext_tw_video_thumb/1132819351357206528/pu/img/khHwrbdEGf0ASFzI.jpg:small

On another note, a lot of players from that game are gone - Chapman, Moor, Hamilton & Boyd. Fraser was the DM in this game. No Poz.

We are a different team. Efiin team that Effin works. Want to see that continue today.

stevep
02-29-2020, 01:04 PM
Just a reminder what happened last year

Wondo scored. This pic was taken just before his second. Wondo pointed RIGHT AT WHERE HE WANTED IT - Westberg is pointing out that he is pointing out. There are 3 guys between the ball and Wondo. He still scores. Exactly where he pointed to. We let them pass the ball low and hard across the top of the 6 yard box and he gets a tap in without anybody marking the top MLS scorer of all time. It took months for me to trust our defence again.

We HAVE to stop things like this today. SJE feeds on stupidity caused by guys getting mentally tired from 90 minutes of man on man coverage. Play our game, and I'll also accept a little first match rustiness and the like - but the defence has to not do stupid stuff.

https://pbs.twimg.com/ext_tw_video_thumb/1132819351357206528/pu/img/khHwrbdEGf0ASFzI.jpg:small

On another note, a lot of players from that game are gone - Chapman, Moor, Hamilton & Boyd. Fraser was the DM in this game. No Poz.

We are a different team. Efiin team that Effin works. Want to see that continue today.

It shouldn’t happen again. Ashtone Morgan is gone

MikeForbes
02-29-2020, 01:58 PM
The biggest question today - is Liam Fraser as good as everyone in the media and on here say he is? I know he can pass with the best of them, but is he mobile enough to be a lone CDM?

Mister Karpf
02-29-2020, 02:32 PM
Stream?

TomLawrence
02-29-2020, 02:54 PM
The biggest question today - is Liam Fraser as good as everyone in the media and on here say he is? I know he can pass with the best of them, but is he mobile enough to be a lone CDM?

Does he have the awareness and reading of the game to be a lone CDM is a better question imo. I’ve seen little to suggest he does.

You don’t need to be super mobile to be a CDM. Many top players have shown this. Carrick never charged around covering ground, what he did exceptionally though was cut off passing lanes and cover spaces with his positioning. Fraser needs vast improvements in these areas.

Globetrotter
02-29-2020, 03:28 PM
55% chance they will concede a goal in the first 5 minutes
75% chance they will concede a goal in the first 10 minutes
95% chance they will concede a goal in the first 20 minutes

Good thing is we should still come away with at least a point. Game day, new season, let's go!

PizzaEatingYeti
02-29-2020, 03:53 PM
Appreciate any working streams posted around game time.
None of my TSN 4-5 streams seem to work right now :(
(I have 4-5 different sites with such links which all used to work last year - like olweb.tv, nowwatchtvlive.ws, time4tv.stream/watch/sports/, freestreams-live1.com/football-streams/).

OgtheDim
02-29-2020, 04:41 PM
Looks like Fraser has not won his spot - or they just think he can't handle the man on man marking.

Enter - the Shaff & Endoh.

Nelson sighting.

MikeForbes
02-29-2020, 04:43 PM
Delgado is better equipped to handle man marking. And I am hoping for something from Shaff today. Nova Scotia, represent!

OgtheDim
02-29-2020, 04:59 PM
Wondo on the bench for SJE.

pdogg
02-29-2020, 05:03 PM
Wondo on the bench for SJE.

oh good, a late sub goal.

MikeForbes
02-29-2020, 05:03 PM
Wondo will definitely score as a sub. It is the way of life.

RedsYNWA
02-29-2020, 05:05 PM
:scarf: Lets do this 2-1 for the good guys

samuraizero
02-29-2020, 05:20 PM
i know its not quite time yet, but anyone got a decent stream?

Edit: pretty good https://homosports.site/fzony-fcaugsburg.php

FootBallAZ
02-29-2020, 05:34 PM
Let's get it, dont stop!

PizzaEatingYeti
02-29-2020, 05:34 PM

Do you have sound?
The unmute button does not work for me...

Areathrasher
02-29-2020, 05:37 PM
Do you have sound?

Yea wont unmute for me either

Inklink
02-29-2020, 05:42 PM
Kelsey Brade on TSN just said "Toronofc" 5 times in 20 seconds.

FootBallAZ
02-29-2020, 05:44 PM

https://poscitech.com/san-jose-earthquakes-vs-toronto-fc/

MikeForbes
02-29-2020, 05:44 PM
Alright, let's get that win! Time for an Omar Gonzalez masterclass.

James17930
02-29-2020, 05:46 PM
It's go time!

FootBallAZ
02-29-2020, 05:46 PM

https://telesports.xyz/sportsauth-genset-137618010203.php

Inklink
02-29-2020, 05:48 PM
no Piatti is frustrating.....

FootBallAZ
02-29-2020, 05:50 PM
No Fraser in the starting XI

James17930
02-29-2020, 05:50 PM
No Fraser. Wow.

FootBallAZ
02-29-2020, 05:51 PM

no Piatti is frustrating.....

I'm sure it was mentioned he will load managed, will not play on turf, and if they get 20 games out of him that's a win.

James17930
02-29-2020, 05:54 PM
Already without Bradley or Fraser you see they don't have their outlet guy. Both Omar and Mavinga couldn't find anyone to pass it out to.

Osorio is going to have to come back further.

Inklink
02-29-2020, 05:58 PM
Altidore pouting already?

MikeForbes
02-29-2020, 06:10 PM
I love the pressing.

stevep
02-29-2020, 06:11 PM
Altidore pouting already?

To me it looks like no talent on the wings
Maybe that’s why he’s frustrated

James17930
02-29-2020, 06:13 PM
I think we look pretty composed for the first 20 mins of the season.

MikeForbes
02-29-2020, 06:13 PM
Pozuelo really does not want to pass to Shaff.

OgtheDim
02-29-2020, 06:14 PM
There's no outlet guy because it's man on man.

Inklink
02-29-2020, 06:18 PM
it wasn't the elbow no big deal.

Yohan
02-29-2020, 06:19 PM
it wasn't the elbow no big deal.
Dumb to lead with arm flaying like that. Mavinga lucky

James17930
02-29-2020, 06:20 PM
There's no outlet guy because it's man on man.

But then what do they do? The CBs bring the ball up to the half and try to pick out a long pass? That seems possibly too slow and obvious.

OgtheDim
02-29-2020, 06:21 PM
Pretty typical first game. Shaff isn't that good a dribbler - too many touches.

stevep
02-29-2020, 06:23 PM
First half observations shaft and endoh are not so good offensively

MikeForbes
02-29-2020, 06:24 PM
First half observations shaft and endoh are not so good offensively

They will be the first subs. Shaff will probably be off at half time.

Mikmacdo
02-29-2020, 06:24 PM
Shaffleburg 🙈 honestly think his future is at left back. Skills aren't good enough to be a winger.

Inklink
02-29-2020, 06:25 PM
Schaff looks awful man

James17930
02-29-2020, 06:26 PM
Pretty typical first game. Shaff isn't that good a dribbler - too many touches.

Man, yeah. It's like he has two left feet today.

benito
02-29-2020, 06:28 PM
nice pk!

Inklink
02-29-2020, 06:28 PM
Woo Poz

Altidore was dragged down twice I think.

MikeForbes
02-29-2020, 06:29 PM
Remember the days when we used to be scared when we had a penalty?

James17930
02-29-2020, 06:29 PM
Rugby tackle.

Obvious penalty. What are they arguing about?

ag futbol
02-29-2020, 06:30 PM
Shaffleburg 🙈 honestly think his future is at left back. Skills aren't good enough to be a winger.
Agreed. Looks a little headless chicken out there. Good for the cross and the pace but not really at that extra level of class needed to play up front.

Nice start for the team. I’d just like to see more attempts on net once we get to the final 3rd

Thomas
02-29-2020, 06:30 PM
Great to see that we have someone that can finish a pk most of the time.

OgtheDim
02-29-2020, 06:31 PM
Remember the days when we used to be scared when we had a penalty?

Was just thinking that

Poz is just good at those.

FootBallAZ
02-29-2020, 06:32 PM
I enjoy when tfc has a fifa ref for the game

TomLawrence
02-29-2020, 06:33 PM
Is Deleon injured? Very underrated player for me.

Shaff looks like he’s never touched a ball before today. Could probably do with a loan to the CPL. Or even more time with the 2s as he was hardly tearing it up there anyway.

Ultra & Proud
02-29-2020, 06:34 PM
Camera here is so far away. Can barely make anything out.

Expect Gallardo to be on in a bit.

James17930
02-29-2020, 06:35 PM
Is Deleon injured? Very underrated player for me.

Shaff looks like he’s never touched a ball before today. Could probably do with a loan to the CPL. Or even more time with the 2s as he was hardly tearing it up there anyway.

Yes, DeLeon is injured. Minor thing.

Yohan
02-29-2020, 06:39 PM
SJ's full court press not quite in sync, TFC able to evade and find space and passes connecting in midfield. Not much in the final third though. Jozy is too far into midfield playing the link man and not in the box when the balls go wide fast enough.

OgtheDim
02-29-2020, 06:40 PM
Will take it. We always look bad on defence for about 5 minutes after we score - survived that.

Expect Wondo around minute 60.

Poz is going to get Altidore a clear cut chance at some part of the second half.

FootBallAZ
02-29-2020, 06:40 PM
Is osorio playing cdm ? While Delgado pushes up ?

samuraizero
02-29-2020, 06:46 PM
Do you have sound?

sorry late reply.

sound works ok if you just click the sound thingy and not the click here to unmute

Bushmancan
02-29-2020, 06:57 PM
Laryea account opened for 2020

jloome
02-29-2020, 06:59 PM
Tough to defend that.

Endoh's had a great game so far, Delgado too.

MikeForbes
02-29-2020, 07:03 PM
It will be interesting to see just how much ground some of these guys covered today.

tfcfans
02-29-2020, 07:13 PM
Is there any way we don’t give up a second goal today?

stevep
02-29-2020, 07:21 PM
Altidore 6.5M ??

ag futbol
02-29-2020, 07:21 PM
I swear some of these guys would have to dribble the ball into the net to be convinced not to force a pass inside the 18

Yohan
02-29-2020, 07:22 PM
Endoh should have taken the shot

MikeForbes
02-29-2020, 07:27 PM
Gonna be hard to take either Delgado or Osorio out of the lineup.

rydermike
02-29-2020, 07:40 PM
What a strike :(

ag futbol
02-29-2020, 07:41 PM
Fuck me that’s so unfair

tfcfans
Told you so.

benito
Geez.

jloome
What a strike :(

They needed two great goals today to get a point off us. We deserved better on the day, but hard to knock the work.

MikeForbes
02-29-2020, 07:42 PM
Wow. That was a sick strike. Damn.

jloome
02-29-2020, 07:43 PM

This is what the league is going to be like this year. Lots of new internationals, quality up in the big moments.

OgtheDim
02-29-2020, 07:44 PM
Yeah, that's a wonder strike. Unsaveable.

1 point from a Western Conference away game in the first week. A lot of positives. Take it to next week.

Yohan
02-29-2020, 07:45 PM
Undone by 2 quality strikes. The game plan was good, except for starting Shaff. Boys ran their heart out, esp Endoh and Delgado who were all over the pitch.

Unlucky

gracos
wow just wow, like the mentality but couldnt stop that 2nd shot

tfcocd

Painful, but a draw on the road is an ok start. Think TFC bossed them for the most part, football can be cruel.

michaeltfc91
02-29-2020, 07:46 PM
Fucking embarrassing referee needs to ruin my weekend thanks

SoccMan2
02-29-2020, 07:48 PM
So most on here were calling for an easy 3 points lol ya ok , 2 points dropped that will come back to kill them when it comes to making the playoffs and having more home playoff games if they make the playoffs.

ag futbol
02-29-2020, 07:51 PM
Undone by 2 quality strikes. The game plan was good, except for starting Shaff. Boys ran their heart out, esp Endoh and Delgado who were all over the pitch.

Unlucky
If you were nit picking you could say a bit more ruthlessness around the box but otherwise.. hard to say anything bad.

I have no idea how they pressed so hard for 90 minutes

NK Toronto
02-29-2020, 07:57 PM
I think Shaff's future is in the CPL. He doesn't have the touch for MLS. Speed and nothing else.

Initial B
02-29-2020, 07:57 PM
As soon as I saw the foul (and boy, did the 'quakes player sell that), all I could chant was: "Please, no goonies." Alas, it was in vain. I just hope this doesn't become a pattern or I'll think Tobias is moving back into the neighbourhood.

OgtheDim
02-29-2020, 08:01 PM
If you were nit picking you could say a bit more ruthlessness around the box but otherwise.. hard to say anything bad.

I have no idea how they pressed so hard for 90 minutes

Effin Team Effin Works

Helps they've been in California for weeks. No travel weariness. But this is the calling card of this team now. Team defence.

Hard to fault anyone in the first game of the year. Scrappy and sloppy. Only thing I took out of that was Shaff looked not good enough.

Big test next week.

NK Toronto
02-29-2020, 08:08 PM
When Piatti is available what formation do you play? Do you stick with a 4 3 3? Does Piatti have the speed to play the wing given his injuries? In my view the wings are our biggest weakness yet Vanney insists on playing that formation.

tfcfans
02-29-2020, 08:10 PM
Before the game I would have been happy to take a Tie out West, but obviously this feels like two points squandered and we played a decent game overall frankly.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-29-2020, 08:13 PM
Ah prob should have been a win, some shit calls, that free kick was insane too

zorsofstesab
02-29-2020, 08:17 PM
2 man wall not enough. Not even positioned correctly. Goalie needs some of the blame.

TFC1154ever
02-29-2020, 08:18 PM
Thought we played decent. Having Piatti and Galardo could have been the difference from 2 goals to 4.

Only pickle I have is with Endoh at the end. Why after blocking the first cross did he not close down the winger? He gave him a foot and a half to compose himself, and get the ball under control.

Everyone was good except Altidore and Morrow. Both struggled mightily today.

NK Toronto
02-29-2020, 08:35 PM
Thought we played decent. Having Piatti and Galardo could have been the difference from 2 goals to 4.

Only pickle I have is with Endoh at the end. Why after blocking the first cross did he not close down the winger? He gave him a foot and a half to compose himself, and get the ball under control.

If Vanney prefers Shaff over Gallardo then Gallardo must look terrible in training and has no future with the team . Shaff was the worst player on the field today. If Vanney plans on giving him significant minutes this year then we are in deep, deep trouble. He is an anti-talent. Why is he even in the lineup over Laryea? The fact that Poz won't pass him the ball tells you all you need to know.

ensco
02-29-2020, 08:37 PM
Yeah, that's a wonder strike. Unsaveable.

It was a nice blast but upon reflection, it's a decent reminder of why Bono used to start. It is pretty unusual to have keeper with as little height as Q.

Red CB Toronto
02-29-2020, 08:39 PM
Fucking embarrassing referee needs to ruin my weekend thanks

Your weekend will be just fine, can not wait until next Saturday.

Red CB Toronto
02-29-2020, 08:41 PM
How does anyone know if Gallardo could make a difference or not, we really have no clue what the Reds have in him.

NK Toronto
02-29-2020, 08:42 PM
It was a nice blast but upon reflection, it's a decent reminder of why Bono used to start. It is pretty unusual to have keeper with as little height as Q.

I agree. A 6'3 keeper tips that shot over the net.

Defoe
02-29-2020, 08:58 PM
TFC fans deserve better then to watch players like Schaff. It’s incompetence on behalf of Vanney and staff to start him imo

ManUtd4ever
02-29-2020, 09:09 PM
Good team effort overall, but that tying goal can't go in from that angle. Two points squandered in the dying seconds.

NK Toronto
02-29-2020, 09:47 PM
[QUOTE=Defoe;1917957]TFC fans deserve better then to watch players like Schaff. It’s incompetence on behalf of Vanney and staff to start him imo[/QUOTE

It's because Vanney insists on playing this stupid 4-3-3 formation even though we have no quality wingers. I blame Vanney for today's result with his roster selection. You play a style that best suits the talent on your roster. Yet Vanney insists on forcing a square peg into a round hole.

Once Piatti is back I would like to see a 4 2 3 1 formation with Fraser and Delgado the holding mids, behind Osorio, Poz, and Piatti, with Jozy the sole striker. Endoh on the bench and Shaff on loan to York 9, where he is converted to a left back as an earlier poster suggested. We need his roster spot for another backup striker.

notthesun
02-29-2020, 09:52 PM
Good road performance that would usually net us 3 points. Good start to the season.

MightyDM
02-29-2020, 10:01 PM
I think Shaff's future is in the CPL. He doesn't have the touch for MLS. Speed and nothing else.

He’s 19 FFS. Destroyed them the first half. His touch let him down, but showed lots of great movement and pace.

MightyDM
02-29-2020, 10:02 PM
When Piatti is available what formation do you play? Do you stick with a 4 3 3? Does Piatti have the speed to play the wing given his injuries? In my view the wings are our biggest weakness yet Vanney insists on playing that formation.

They played a 4-4-2 today

MightyDM
02-29-2020, 10:06 PM
Effin Team Effin Works

Helps they've been in California for weeks. No travel weariness. But this is the calling card of this team now. Team defence.

Hard to fault anyone in the first game of the year. Scrappy and sloppy. Only thing I took out of that was Shaff looked not good enough.

Big test next week.

Shaff was very effective for lots of things today. Just two bad touches but in the other hand Marky passed the ball right to them early on; Poz fell over etc etc

NK Toronto
02-29-2020, 10:10 PM
He’s 19 FFS. Destroyed them the first half. His touch let him down, but showed lots of great movement and pace.

He is actually 20 and at that age a players touch should be developed. He can improve on his positioning and awareness but touch and ball handling skills are a talent. You either have it or you don't. What I saw today is a player who doesn't. He reminds me a lot of Ricketts.

My point is if we want to win MLS Cup this year we can't afford to be a training ground for young players to develop. He shouldn't have been in the line up today. The fact that Vanny took him out at halftime is an acknowledgment by Vanney that starting him was a mistake.

MightyDM
02-29-2020, 10:10 PM
[QUOTE=Defoe;1917957]TFC fans deserve better then to watch players like Schaff. It’s incompetence on behalf of Vanney and staff to start him imo[/QUOTE

It's because Vanney insists on playing this stupid 4-3-3 formation even though we have no quality wingers. I blame Vanney for today's result with his roster selection. You play a style that best suits the talent on your roster. Yet Vanney insists on forcing a square peg into a round hole.

Once Piatti is back I would like to see a 4 2 3 1 formation with Fraser and Delgado the holding mids, behind Osorio, Poz, and Piatti, with Jozy the sole striker. Endoh on the bench and Shaff on loan to York 9, where he is converted to a left back as an earlier poster suggested. We need his roster spot for another backup striker.
It was a 4-4-2 today

NK Toronto
02-29-2020, 10:14 PM
[QUOTE=MightyDM;1917968][QUOTE=NK Toronto;1917962]
It was a 4-4-2 today
[/QUOTE

Are you sure? Who was the 2nd striker? Poz was playing behind Jozy.

Man why can't I get the quotes to which I am responding to show in yellow?

Areathrasher
02-29-2020, 10:22 PM
Give Shaff a break. There is enough there with him to preserve until we know for sure it wont work out.
11 games is absolutely not enough to judge a 20 yr old.

Mark TFC
02-29-2020, 10:30 PM
Give Shaff a break. There is enough there with him to preserve until we know for sure it wont work out.

Not to mention it’s only the very first match of the season. I’d like to give anyone a bit of leaway this early - unless they’ve been committing the same errors for some time now.

NK Toronto
02-29-2020, 10:34 PM
I just hope we don't look back at this match as two points lost that cost us the supporters shield.

I stand by my earlier comments that we can't be a training ground for developing players this season. Our window to win is now. Given how well Laryea played last season I find Vanney's decision to start Shaff over him puzzling.

stevep
02-29-2020, 10:43 PM
Shaff was very effective for lots of things today. Just two bad touches but in the other hand Marky passed the ball right to them early on; Poz fell over etc etc

You know what I find extremely interesting?
How different people can watch the same game and some people will say so and so played great and some will say so and so played badly.

However in this case I am truly dumbfounded that you think shaff as “effective”

Red CB Toronto
02-29-2020, 11:18 PM
TFC fans deserve better then to watch players like Schaff. It’s incompetence on behalf of Vanney and staff to start him imo

To be honest, I want to watch Schaff week in week out. The kid is exciting to watch, plus is such a great kid coming from a true East Coast family.

NK Toronto
02-29-2020, 11:33 PM
I would like to see him play week in and week out as well...... in a Halifax Wanderer's kit.

MightyDM
02-29-2020, 11:36 PM
He is actually 20 and at that age a players touch should be developed. He can improve on his positioning and awareness but touch and ball handling skills are a talent. You either have it or you don't. What I saw today is a player who doesn't. He reminds me a lot of Ricketts.

My point is if we want to win MLS Cup this year we can't afford to be a training ground for young players to develop. He shouldn't have been in the line up today. The fact that Vanny took him out at halftime is an acknowledgment by Vanney that starting him was a mistake.

I saw a player whose movement gave the other team fits. Lots of players touch let them down today - Marky passed it right to their striker just outside our penalty area, Poz passed it out of bounds and lost it two or three times, Oso made errant passes. Yes two of Shaff’s touches were terrible, but it’s awfully unfair for this board to pile on him. We were up 1-0 when he went off, after all.

MightyDM
02-29-2020, 11:38 PM
[QUOTE=MightyDM;1917968][QUOTE=NK Toronto;1917962]
It was a 4-4-2 today
[/QUOTE

Are you sure? Who was the 2nd striker? Poz was playing behind Jozy.

Man why can't I get the quotes to which I am responding to show in yellow?

Pretty sure.

Poz behind Jozy; Marky and Oso flanked by Endoh and Shaff.

It’s probably our most effective formation right now.

MightyDM
02-29-2020, 11:41 PM

Your last point is put fairly. I dont fully agree though. The first half of the season we need to test players. For example, Ciman will start next week I am guessing; if not the week after.

Also, I maintain that his movement and pace gave San Jose significant troubles e whole first half.

Oldtimer
02-29-2020, 11:55 PM
I stand by my earlier comments that we can't be a training ground for developing players this season. Our window to win is now. Given how well Laryea played last season I find Vanney's decision to start Shaff over him puzzling.

I completely disagree with you. "Win now" is a typical Toronto attitude, but I want TFC to be a top 5 MLS team always. In a salary cap league you have to develop young players for at least some of the roles because that is the lowest cost way and how you can fit your other players under the cap. If you never give the young players first team minutes, how will they develop? Basically you should have one younger player every game.

TFC specifically hired Curtis as GM because of his experience in bringing up players in the NYRB organization.

It seems to me the coaching trust was constantly being criticized here for not giving Shaff enough first team minutes last year. Now Shaff is played, he has one bad game and some people panic and want him sent to the CPL.

First game of the year, a tie, let's not panic yet. I'm looking forward to the season.

MightyDM
03-01-2020, 12:08 AM
Just watched Vanney interview. He says Shaff was hurt.

I agree with old timer. Players develop let’s give them time. Also, we lost the game because Endoh didn’t close down Espinosa in the first goal and because Q was out of position in the second (and because VAR doesn’t review fouls and dives outside the box). Also perhaps preparation. If a centre back is coming up to take a free kick, it’s likely he will shoot. Suppose you added Mullins to the wall. Would it have helped?

OK result. Shitty way to get it

NK Toronto
03-01-2020, 12:11 AM
I saw a player whose movement gave the other team fits. Lots of players touch let them down today - Marky passed it right to their striker just outside our penalty area, Poz passed it out of bounds and lost it two or three times, Oso made errant passes. Yes two of Shaff’s touches were terrible, but it’s awfully unfair for this board to pile on him. We were up 1-0 when he went off, after all.

He received a pass right at the edge of the penalty area and wasn't even able to get off a shot. A missed opportunity that could have resulted in a win. He provides speed and nothing else.

Tosaint Ricketts also was capable of giving another team fits with his speed, and he would come on as a sub and give us the occasional spark. However whenever he was forced to play significant minutes due to injuries his limited technical skills and his inability to finish were exposed, and the club eventually decided to move on. This is how I see Shaffelburg. Remember last year he also received a number of starts until about midway through the season after which he mostly sat on the bench. Unless we are decimated by injuries I don't think we are going to see a lot of him. Given his age wouldn't both he and the club be better off if he were on loan with a lower level team where he could be a starter and have the opportunity to develop?

Anyway, I've said my piece on him. Time to move on.

NK Toronto
03-01-2020, 12:43 AM
I completely disagree with you. "Win now" is a typical Toronto attitude, but I want TFC to be a top 5 MLS team always. In a salary cap league you have to develop young players for at least some of the roles because that is the lowest cost way and how you can fit your other players under the cap. If you never give the young players first team minutes, how will they develop? Basically you should have one younger player every game.

TFC specifically hired Curtis as GM because of his experience in bringing up players in the NYRB organization.

It seems to me the coaching trust was constantly being criticized here for not giving Shaff enough first team minutes last year. Now Shaff is played, he has one bad game and some people panic and want him sent to the CPL.

First game of the year, a tie, let's not panic yet. I'm looking forward to the season.

Would have preferred that young player to have been Fraser, who in my opinion is more worthy of a start.

Okay, that's it no more from me on Shaffelburg. As you can tell I won't be one of his followers on Instagram.

MightyDM
03-01-2020, 01:26 AM
He received a pass right at the edge of the penalty area and wasn't even able to get off a shot. A missed opportunity that could have resulted in a win. He provides speed and nothing else.

Tosaint Ricketts also was capable of giving another team fits with his speed, and he would come on as a sub and give us the occasional spark. However whenever he was forced to play significant minutes due to injuries his limited technical skills and his inability to finish were exposed, and the club eventually decided to move on. This is how I see Shaffelburg. Remember last year he also received a number of starts until about midway through the season after which he mostly sat on the bench. Unless we are decimated by injuries I don't think we are going to see a lot of him. Given his age wouldn't both he and the club be better off if he were on loan with a lower level team where he could be a starter and have the opportunity to develop?

Anyway, I've said my piece on him. Time to move on.

It’s reasonable to say he needs development time. I agree. Just saw more on this occasion than you.

Besides, how did Q miss that??!!!!!

Defoe
03-01-2020, 06:14 AM

oh for sure, let's see what he's got, in CPL.

We can loan him to a CPL side and see if he can bag 10-15 goals. Unless he proves him self at a lower league I just don't get why he out of everyone deserves this opportunity

Carter
03-01-2020, 07:34 AM
I just hope we don't look back at this match as two points lost that cost us the supporters shield.

High expectations for the first game of the season.

Fun fact, last time TFC WON away to a western conference team, in the regular season, was 2017

James17930
03-01-2020, 08:15 AM
Shaff was okay when he was on the left, but when he switched to the right he couldn't figure out what to do and kept losing possession.

I'm still kind of pissed about this. Should've been a win. Too much trying to pass the ball into the net, again. We need guys to take more shots.

That's one thing I like about Mullins. He's a pure striker – he gets anywhere near the net, he shoots. We need more of that.

ensco
03-01-2020, 08:21 AM
Criticizing Vanney for starting Shaffleburg is really faithless.

Shaff was in there, I am sure, because he wa next man up, he earned it in camp. He has a first touch, cmon, but a lot of kids have problems translating what they do into games. Given him and Vanney a break. Have some patience. (I bet I could find 200 posts from 2-3 years ago declaring Endoh's career over, and Vanney an idiot for playing him)

It was a good sub by Vanney to move Laryea in there. Which was kind of hilarious because the guy I was watching with and I were discussing the idea of Laryea on the wing just before he scored (we hadn’t realized he had actually gone in there, we were watching with the sound off in a bar)

Areathrasher
03-01-2020, 08:40 AM
It's good to see some posters in midseason form after a quiet offseason

MikeForbes
03-01-2020, 08:48 AM
It is a draw. Should of been a win, but we move on. Shaff should go on loan somewhere (Halifax) though when Piatti is healthy. He needs minutes and probably some experience at LB. Vanney picked the perfect team for that match and most of those guys played fairly well. The only guy who didn't seem to be himself was Altidore.

ensco
03-01-2020, 09:01 AM
Why does everyone think Altidore was bad? This is bizarre.

He won a PK, all by himself.

Even with that, the refs let us/him down. He was being brutalized. They made a point of beating the crap out of him every time he touched the ball, then worked the refs just as hard every time they did it. Even though it cost them a PK, it kind of worked.

We were playing long balls deep to him, and he was winning more than he was losing.

Give me a break.

The SJ strategy was to take Pozo and Jozy out of the game, whatever the cost. We had better get used to it, as a team, and you cannot hang that on Jozy when it works! as it did for a lot of this game. The way to break that down is for others to step up.

MikeForbes
03-01-2020, 09:04 AM
Why does everyone think Altidore was bad? This is bizarre.

He won a PK, all by himself.

Even with that, the refs let us/him down. He was being brutalized. They made a point of beating the crap out of him every time he touched the ball, then worked the refs just as hard every time they did it. Even though it cost them a PK, it kind of worked.

They were playing long balls deep to him, and he was winning more than he was losing.

Give me a break.

I don't think Altidore was bad, he did a good job holding the ball up and giving others space. I just hold him and Pozuelo to a higher standard as opposed to someone like Endoh or Layrea.

SoccMan2
03-01-2020, 10:10 AM
Yes I know good old time management bla,bla,bla but taking off Pozuelo with 15 minutes still to play only up by a goal, then taking off Altidore too shortly after, they needed these two guys on longer. Keep them on and your chance of another goal are higher, they keep the other team a bit more honest from being more offensive minded knowing if they commit too many guys up these two guys can kill you. Vanney should have kept both on longer and maybe taken off only Altidore off later. They have the whole week off before the next game so no need to take your two best players off at that time of the game, you keep them on and this game would have most likely been won. Get back to me when these two points thrown away cost them the playoffs or home playoff games.

NK Toronto
03-01-2020, 10:24 AM
I am concerned about our ability to create scoring chances. I view our forwards as our Achilles heel. Shut down Jozy and you shut down the team. If we are relying on Endoh and Shaff to step up then we are in trouble.

Right now we are worse than at the end of last season. I think we were better with Benezet in the line-up than with the wingers who played yesterday. We shed so many salaries in the off season. Is there no TAM or GAM available to go out and sign a quality forward?

If Piatti doesn't play significant minutes this year it will be a lost season. Really disappointed in the off-season.

Maybe we would have been better off re-signing Bradley as a DP, which might have left enough TAM GAM to resign both Benezet plus another striker?

MightyDM
03-01-2020, 10:44 AM

Hahahaha hahahahaha. Well played sit

shwade
03-01-2020, 11:06 AM

Seriously dude...I can't believe some of these posts already. Talking about these 2 points coming back to bite us in the playoff race - get a grip people.

ag futbol
03-01-2020, 11:29 AM
Criticizing Vanney for starting Shaffleburg is really faithless.

Shaff was in there, I am sure, because he wa next man up, he earned it in camp. He has a first touch, cmon, but a lot of kids have problems translating what they do into games. Given him and Vanney a break. Have some patience. (I bet I could find 200 posts from 2-3 years ago declaring Endoh's career over, and Vanney an idiot for playing him)

Yes and no. Certainly finding faults in this game from Vanney is nit picking and to suggest Shaffelburg needs to be banished to the TFC II is unfair.

But if you wanted to make the larger point Shaffelburg really doesn’t have the skills to be playing as a FW in a front three long term I’d agree. His strengths are pace, work rate, and crossing. To be good in that wide forward spot those certainly help but also you need to be good cutting inside and threatening the goal and combining with teammate for quick short passes. He looks a world away from doing that.

I’d use him as a stop gap when needed or when we need a sub LB or a wide player in a 3-5-2.

If we’re investing in anyone in this FW spot it should be Nelson.

I am concerned about our ability to create scoring chances. I view our forwards as our Achilles heel. Shut down Jozy and you shut down the team. If we are relying on Endoh and Shaff to step up then we are in trouble.

Agreed but I have some time for Endoh. He cut inside a provides good 1-2 options. But overall I think he’s more a workman like sub than starter.

Watching some of the other wide forwards in the league and how much of a threat they are to score vs. what options we have at our disposal, I hope Piatti is healthy and ready to step up. If he’s not I think we’re maybe a top 10 team but not top 5.

GerMc
03-01-2020, 11:36 AM
I have watched the replay over and over in slow motion.
Q doesn't jump straight up to block it over the net, he jumps sideways.
All he has to do is jump up and knock it over the net.
I assume he can jump at least as high as the crossbar can't he?
It makes no sense, I suspect he let this goal in on purpose.

It was disappointing to have the game tied on pretty much the last play of the game, after a strong first half and an admittedly weaker second half. And while Q definitely should have done better, to say that he let the goal in on purpose is absurd. While I am not sure it will add value to the board to hear it, I think you have to support a comment like that (and hopefully with facts, not conspiracy theories). Otherwise, I think that deserves a retraction or an apology...

Voodooman
03-01-2020, 12:38 PM
did you watch the video in slow motion? you have to do that to see it.

why is he crouched down? explain to me why would he crouch down on this play?
he is crouched down during the shot also.
why does he lung sideways with his left arm?
why does the right arm not get extended also?

There is no way you have been a goalie and are asking these questions.

I feel like its a 20-20 visions type remarks we are seeing here.

The reason Q let that goal in is because he expected a nearpost cross due to the 4 players running there, so he stepped forward. However the shot came and he had to shift his weight back to where he jumped at the ball like you should to get maximum range, but couldnt reach it due to that opening step.

It happens, goalies cheat sometimes to try and read the play and he read the play wrong

GerMc
03-01-2020, 12:47 PM

I appreciate the reply. As I said, Q could definitely have done better. I think what you describe are all things that he could have done better, and are very fair points. It is a big leap from that, though, to the fact that he let the goal in on purpose.

Not sure what Q's incentive would be to let a goal in on purpose, since keeping the ball out of the net is pretty much his whole purpose in life (though I still think his distribution is very good).

BTW, I am just watching the highlights from the Ajax-Getafe Europa League game from this week, and in the 63rd minute, Ajax scored a goal from pretty much the same position. There was a slight touch on the ball, but the goalkeeper looked pole-axed. He was caught between looking for the header on and watching for the straight through ball (also a 2 person wall, BTW). He is an Eridivisie first team goalkeeper, and he didn't look great on the goal, but I think that is a pretty tough spot to be in.

I have always been a Q fan, and think he is a great improvement over Bono, who unfortunately significantly regressed from 2017. I am happy to cut him some slack for the few mistakes that he makes.

Oldtimer
03-01-2020, 12:49 PM
Seriously dude...I can't believe some of these posts already. Talking about these 2 points coming back to bite us in the playoff race - get a grip people.

Only 33 more matches to turn this season around. :lol:

Mark TFC
03-01-2020, 12:58 PM

we had a 99% chance of winning that game during live betting odds.
whenever you see a very low probability occurrence like that occur be suspicious, investigate further

I can’t even believe this...

Not like fixing has never happened in sports - but you really think of all people, Q let a goal in on purpose? I suggest you give your head a shake.

ensco
03-01-2020, 01:20 PM
I just realized that this is the same Alanis who started both games for Chivas against us.

We knew Alanis could shoot. You know how?

Even though he is a CB, Almeyda picked him in the final to take the first PK against us (and he scored).

Then Almeyda picked him again yesterday to take that FK.

It's a small world.

AlanO
03-01-2020, 01:43 PM
Ad hominem (Latin (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin) for "to the person"), short for argumentum ad hominem, typically refers to a fallacious argumentative strategy whereby genuine discussion of the topic at hand is avoided by instead attacking the character, motive, or other attribute of the person making the argument, or persons associated with the argument, rather than attacking the substance of the argument itself.

The most common form of ad hominem fallacy is "A makes a claim a, B asserts that A holds a property that is unwelcome, and hence B concludes that argument a is wrong"

also this:
Confirmation bias is the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms or strengthens one's prior personal beliefs (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belief) or hypotheses.[1] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias#cite_note-1) It is a type of cognitive bias (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_bias). People display this bias when they gather or remember information selectively, or when they interpret it in a biased (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bias) way. The effect is stronger for desired outcomes, for emotionally (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotion) charged issues, and for deeply-entrenched belief (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belief)

You are calling the personal integrity of a player into question based on absolutely nothing.

If you're going to make those types of claims then the onus is on you to provide real evidence.

It's one thing to criticize a mistake or a draw that could have been a win. But to accuse someone of deliberately throwing a match without any proof is a whole other level of asshattery.

ensco
03-01-2020, 02:13 PM
You want to accuse a player of throwing a game, no hiding in anonymity. You sign your real name and address, and put some real evidence out there.

I really think unless this guy does all that, mods should delete these posts by this guy about Q.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-01-2020, 02:39 PM
Think anyone with any sense will laugh at the suggestion that Q is corrupt

stevep
03-01-2020, 03:54 PM
Think anyone with any sense will laugh at the suggestion that Q is corrupt

You guys are misunderstanding something

I am not saying Q is corrupt.

He is not doing anything the league has not told him to do.
I believe all Professional sports are scripted

My post has been deleted. You guys misunderstand and also cannot handle this type of discussion

Derko
03-01-2020, 05:51 PM
I thought it was a pretty exciting game for the most part, and the referee was pretty good, but that was my opinion, good to see Jozy healthy, a bit of rust on the whole but not a stinker,

magmadragon
03-01-2020, 06:49 PM
I thought we looked great. Guess I was watching a different game. We looked composed for the most part and in control. We've come out flat footed in many season openers. If this is the weak baseline, I think we're in for a good year.

MightyDM
03-01-2020, 08:26 PM
I thought we looked great. Guess I was watching a different game. We looked composed for the most part and in control. We've come out flat footed in many season openers. If this is the weak baseline, I think we're in for a good year.

Rusty, and Poz looked dead on his feet after about 65 minutes, but otherwise completely dominant for the most part. Should have won. And referee was terrible from my perspective.

East Coast Red
03-02-2020, 10:29 AM
Rusty, and Poz looked dead on his feet after about 65 minutes, but otherwise completely dominant for the most part. Should have won. And referee was terrible from my perspective.

I've seen much worse referring performances, but it's an MLS problem that they all seem to favour home teams. This guy did. Nothing outrageous, but lots of little niggly calls only going one one, much like the free kick that lead to the 2nd goal.

GhostKiller
03-02-2020, 11:04 AM

My post has been deleted. You guys misunderstand and also cannot handle this type of discussion

So, first you post that Q let in the goal on purpose. Then you say you aren't calling Q corrupt because he let in the goal on purpose, you just think he and the league have scripted the result of this game because all professional sports are scripted? Then you post that OTHER people are misunderstanding something. News flash buddy, you aren't as articulate as you think you are. And telling other people that they can't handle a discussion, or posting definitions to words you copied and pasted from the internet doesn't make you sound smart. Just because you posted something stupid doesn't mean the rest of the world is ignorant because they can't entertain your senseless theory.

MightyDM
03-02-2020, 12:42 PM
I've seen much worse referring performances, but it's an MLS problem that they all seem to favour home teams. This guy did. Nothing outrageous, but lots of little niggly calls only going one one, much like the free kick that lead to the 2nd goal.

It was more the constant mauling of Jozy that rarely resulted in fouls. Sure he called the penalty but there were another dozen calls that should have been given, certainly could have. And the call at the end was a dive.

Initial B
03-02-2020, 12:59 PM
If that is the case, then there is no way TFC or Seattle should have made it to the MLS Cup last year. Networks would have preferred LAFC vs NYCFC.

Oldtimer
03-02-2020, 01:15 PM

You need to cool it a bit with the conspiracy theories. It's one thing to say that historically MLS favoured the Galaxy with their rule changes (some debatable evidence exists for this). You can also say that their parity rules favour cheap owners (plenty of objective evidence for that). You can look at how referees call differently a foul on a player who has a reputation for diving. It's another thing to state that the league is "scripted." I suggest you look up Declan Hill's work on this, he is a world authority on match fixing, and is author of "The Fix: Soccer and Organized Crime." His website is http://declanhill.com/ . He looked at MLS and found no evidence of match-fixing.

If that is the case, then there is no way TFC or Seattle should have made it to the MLS Cup last year. Networks would have preferred LAFC vs NYCFC.

EXACTLY

jazzy
03-03-2020, 10:07 PM
So most on here were calling for an easy 3 points lol ya ok , 2 points dropped that will come back to kill them when it comes to making the playoffs and having more home playoff games if they make the playoffs.
We will never this year have an easy 3 points . Was at game , did control game but , first goal caught us sleeping and in 3 minute extra time ref awards kick at the 6 min mark , but amazing kick from a credible Mexican international. Shame we can’t play for the 90+. To many times guys we’re letting Josie do it all . Need some counter speed .

MightyDM
03-04-2020, 12:34 AM
We will never this year have an easy 3 points . Was at game , did control game but , first goal caught us sleeping and in 3 minute extra time ref awards kick at the 6 min mark , but amazing kick from a credible Mexican international. Shame we can’t play for the 90+. To many times guys we’re letting Josie do it all . Need some counter speed .

thats about right. Did it look like a dive to you? How was the stadium?