PDA

View Full Version : Leagues Cup 2020

OgtheDim
02-20-2020, 01:52 PM
Yes, we are in it.

A guaranteed home game against a LigaMx team in July.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/02/20/2020-leagues-cup-details-released-mls-and-liga-mx-clubs-dates-and-format-unveiled

As somebody wisely put it, this is part of the content push to get a better TV contract

https://twitter.com/kylejmccarthy/status/1230561506586058754

I suspect that sometime in the next few years, some MLS team will take this one seriously and win it.

Oldtimer
02-20-2020, 01:55 PM
If this was in LA they'd have a packed stadium with lots of LIGAMX fans.

In Canada, during prime cottage season? I expect a half empty stadium unless they paper the place.

leafsman
02-20-2020, 02:20 PM
Too bad the champions league isnt played at the time they play this. Its stupid to start it in the MLS preseason.

Chubbs
02-20-2020, 02:51 PM
Annoying that it has to happen in the middle of our season, but seeing as we're not getting any CCL action this year, I'm excited for some quality games against Liga MX sides.

Red CB Toronto
02-20-2020, 04:38 PM
If this was in LA they'd have a packed stadium with lots of LIGAMX fans.

In Canada, during prime cottage season? I expect a half empty stadium unless they paper the place.

The cottage is the most under estimated competition during the summer season in these parts. I know a few season ticket holders who will say a beautiful day up in Muskoka is to good to be wasted by coming down for the match. Its practically on cue that by 10 am, the morning of a game day the text will come , anyone need a ticket, will not be coming down.

C.Ronaldo
02-20-2020, 05:04 PM
The cottage is the most under estimated competition during the summer season in these parts. I know a few season ticket holders who will say a beautiful day up in Muskoka is to good to be wasted by coming down for the match. Its practically on cue that by 10 am, the morning of a game day the text will come , anyone need a ticket, will not be coming down.

same here. i pretty sell all july / aug games
cottage plus summer vacations = bye bye TO

leafsman
02-20-2020, 07:10 PM
I wish we had some Sunday games during the cottage season, I've also sold some because of that. Instead they usually do it when the NFL starts which pissed me off lol

nfitz
02-20-2020, 08:19 PM
I wish we had some Sunday games during the cottage season, I've also sold some because of that. Instead they usually do it when the NFL starts which pissed me off lolAll home MLS games are Wednesday (2) and Saturday (15) this season.

spe18
02-20-2020, 08:30 PM
So this means quite potentially the fixture congestion during July - September:

July 4: league game vs. Orlando City

July 7-9: quarterfinal game in Canadian Championship, 1st leg

July 11: league game vs. Philadelphia Union

July 14-16: quarterfinal game in Canadian Championship, 2nd leg

July 18: league game vs. Seattle Sounders

July 21-22: Round of 16 in Leagues Cup

July 25: league game vs. DC United

August 1: league game vs. Chicago Fire

August 4-5: quarterfinals in Leagues Cup

August 8: league game vs. Columbus Crew

August 11-13: 1st leg of semi-finals of Canadian Championship

August 15: league game vs. Philadelphia Union

August 18-20: return leg of semi-finals of Canadian Championship

August 22: league game vs. Montreal Impact

August 25-26: semi-finals of Leagues Cup

August 29: league game vs. Houston Dynamo

(bye week)

September 12: league game vs. Atlanta United

September 15-17: 1st leg of the finals of Canadian Championship

September 16: final of Leagues Cup

September 19: league game vs. Portland Timbers

September 22-24: return leg of the finals of Canadian Championship

September 26: league game vs. Orlando City

(technically, the end of the fixture congestion)

Of course, the above scenario is based on Toronto FC advancing in each round of the Canadian Championship and Leagues Cup.

There also appears to be conflict as the 1st leg of the finals of the Canadian Championship and the final of the Leagues Cup is scheduled for the same time frame.

I was even going to suggest that should Toronto FC advance to the finals of both tournaments, then perhaps they'll have a baseball style day/night doubleheader at BMO Field lol. But alas, the final of the Leagues Cup is scheduled for a neutral venue in the states.

DinamoTFC
02-20-2020, 08:49 PM
I don't care much for this tournament since CCL is a better version but one positive is with these extra games the depth and younger players will get more minutes.

OgtheDim
02-21-2020, 11:08 AM
So Rollins discovered that the final of this competition is the same day as the final for the Voyageurs.

:facepalm:

magmadragon
02-21-2020, 11:54 AM
So Rollins discovered that the final of this competition is the same day as the final for the Voyageurs.

:facepalm:

It's a bit of a trend. Last year, if Forge would have managed to get further in the Canadian Championship and CONCACAF League, there would have been conflicts as each of the later rounds fell on the same week.

nfitz
02-25-2020, 12:08 PM
So this means quite potentially the fixture congestion during July - September:

July 14-16: quarterfinal game in Canadian Championship, 2nd leg

July 18: league game vs. Seattle Sounders

July 21-22: Round of 16 in Leagues Cup

July 25: league game vs. DC United

August 1: league game vs. Chicago Fire

August 4-5: quarterfinals in Leagues Cup

August 8: league game vs. Columbus Crew

...Don't forget the July 29 MLS All-Star game ...

Better yet, let's forget it!