PDA

View Full Version : Ben Knight: Organizational offside

denime
08-05-2008, 01:26 PM
Organizational offside

I have become very distressed at the standard of officiating in Major League Soccer.

A couple of points, before I begin: I am not going to highlight particular games, calls or officials. I believe the problem is league-wide, and all 14 teams are being affected by it. I have not seen an MLS game all season that was not marred, disrupted or derailed by one or more seriously bad calls. I do not question the good intentions of the officials involved, or feel that any one team has been singled out.

Houston (L.A., New York, D.C., Columbus, Salt Lake, etcetera), we have a problem.

We have reached a point in the careful, cautious development of this league where the players are now significantly better than the officials who call the games. Two areas, in particular, have been glaringly bad.

- A disturbing number of well-worked, well-timed passing plays are being wrongly flagged for offside.
- Attacking players, running the ball full-on into the enemy area, face the game-in, game-out possibility that they will get carded for diving – and maybe even suspended – if they get both legs chop-tackled out from under them by a late-arriving defender.

Now, I understand the counter-argument. This is still a league in development, and it's not as if this entire region of the world hasn't suffered – chronically – from poor officiating on the soccer pitch. Bad calls happen, but they even out over the entire season, yes?

Well, let me give you one area where things don't even out. I have come to believe that bad offside calls and poor penalty kick decisions are now costing MLS as much as one legal goal a game.

Read more (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080804.WBsoccerblog20080804120820/WBStory/WBsoccerblog/)

Parkdale
08-05-2008, 01:30 PM
I still can't believe that little bald dude on our bench got told to walk.

ExiledRed
08-05-2008, 01:36 PM
Thank god somebody thinks it's a problem.

It's a joke, you know it, I know it, it's time MLS and CSA realised that we hold their officiating in the lowest possible regard, and feel like we are being forced to watch matches with 'pre-ordained' results.

I think we should go 90 minutes singing 'fuck the referee' next game, until Garber recognises, acknowledges and acts on the problem, because we're no longer watching real sport, more like scripted wrestling.

RedRum
08-05-2008, 01:37 PM
Purists will laugh at me, but the technology exists to make wrong offside calls a thing of the past.

Sensor in the shoe of each player and also in the ball. GPS type technology. Problem solved.

ilikemusic
08-05-2008, 01:39 PM
MLS reffing is an absolute joke.

Will anything get done? Doubt it. :(

CretanBull
08-05-2008, 02:40 PM
Purists will laugh at me, but the technology exists to make wrong offside calls a thing of the past.

Sensor in the shoe of each player and also in the ball. GPS type technology. Problem solved.

They don't need to go that far, they just need to spend some money and hire professionals. There's more bad calls in a week of MLS than there is in an entire season of any European league. The difference is that they pay for quality, where as we have high school gym teachers making a few bucks on the side.

Heathen
08-05-2008, 03:08 PM

I've often thought the same thing only problem is the beauty of soccer has always been that the game is basically the same if its played on a park pitch between two pub teams or if its the World Cup final add that technology and you have two-tier rules

ExiledRed
08-05-2008, 04:33 PM
I've often thought the same thing only problem is the beauty of soccer has always been that the game is basically the same if its played on a park pitch between two pub teams or if its the World Cup final add that technology and you have two-tier rules

No, because the variable is the training and accountability of the referee himself, otherwise the pub league ref could easily be reffing the WC final couldn't he?

Anyway, why is it so important that this game should remain at the discretion of morons? I've seen refs spoil too many games for me to accept that 'it's a part of the game'

To enhance Redrum's point, the technology exists for a ref to carry a device that would allow him to see a replay from over three different angles within seconds of the event.

I personally believe it's time to free the players from these incompetent goons, and let them play the game properly.

Carts
08-05-2008, 07:44 PM
I hate video replay in sports - repeat HATE IT...

One of the greatest things about football right now is it still pure sport between two teams, officiated by a third...

No video camera's to pick offsides, no video review every time the ball is near the goal line...

Keep it pure... Spend the money and time on improving the officials - but always know that a human error may happen... We've been burned by human error, and I am still NOT IN FAVOUR of video review, or anything like that...

Carts...

RedRum
08-05-2008, 07:57 PM
I hate video replay in sports too. That crap with the NHL crease rule was brutal. However, using the type of technology I suggested would not delay the game one bit, unlike replays in other sports - simply because it does not require a human being to look at a video replay.

It would give the ref/linesman and 20k at BMO an instantaneous and exact decision as to whether the play is offside. How can you argue with the correct call every time with no delay?

Fiin
08-05-2008, 07:58 PM

One of the greatest things about football right now is it still pure sport between two teams, officiated by a third...

No video camera's to pick offsides, no video review every time the ball is near the goal line...

Keep it pure... Spend the money and time on improving the officials - but always know that a human error may happen... We've been burned by human error, and I am still NOT IN FAVOUR of video review, or anything like that...

Carts...

Answer yer fooken PMS! :P

CoachGT
08-05-2008, 09:15 PM
Having a full set of MLS full time referees is the best approach. Look at other sports (NFL and CFL football being the exceptions) - all have full time refs, a referee in chief who is part of the league office, and accountability to the league for games refereed. All star games and playoffs are earned by the quality of the refing during the year. And Argos fans can comment on the quality of part time officials because of calls in Saskatchewan a couple of weeks ago.

The only thing the coaches and players want is consistency - make the same call all of the time, no matter what the time on the clock, what the score, or where it happens on the field. Make sure that you are in the best position possible to see the play, and look for help from the assistant referees when you need it. Forget about evening up calls, forget about trying to become the spotlight, call things early to set the tone and let the players play the game!

If that stuff is done, video replay isn't necessary!

denime
08-05-2008, 09:17 PM
Having a full set of MLS full time referees is the best approach. Look at other sports (NFL and CFL football being the exceptions) - all have full time refs, a referee in chief who is part of the league office, and accountability to the league for games refereed. All star games and playoffs are earned by the quality of the refing during the year. And Argos fans can comment on the quality of part time officials because of calls in Saskatchewan a couple of weeks ago.

The only thing the coaches and players want is consistency - make the same call all of the time, no matter what the time on the clock, what the score, or where it happens on the field. Make sure that you are in the best position possible to see the play, and look for help from the assistant referees when you need it. Forget about evening up calls, forget about trying to become the spotlight, call things early to set the tone and let the players play the game!

If that stuff is done, video replay isn't necessary!

QFT !!

SilverSamurai
08-05-2008, 11:03 PM

Carts...
Have you forgotten about Canada getting screwed at the Gold Cup last year?
I'm all for instant replay, but have a 5th official whose job is only to watch controversial plays. That would help keep the flow of the game going.

Jimmy The Saint
08-06-2008, 08:38 AM
I get the feeling that the anti-replay folks aren't hockey fans.

Yes the crease rule sucked, but it no longer exists. And now, without replays, there would be a lot more "illegal" goals that shouldn't have been if not for replay, over the goal cameras, netcams, etc.

It amazes me that even a minore league hockey linesman can call an offside at 50MPH, but the MLS refs can't peg one at 20MPH. That ball is large. The players don't move as fast. Variable line of play or not, it's a little silly.

H Bomb
08-06-2008, 08:45 AM
I never understood why people are against video refereeing. I find nothing charming about a human screwing up when a robot could do the job better. I don't think we have the technology to do it at the moment but why not allow offsides to be played out and then have the 4th official check the replay (cricket style). The game wont change and I wont be so angry all the time

Roogsy
08-06-2008, 08:53 AM
I have always wondered why there isn't a hybrid of the two positions.

Why not let a human referee monitor the game UNLESS there is a hotly disputed call? Something of real consequence to the end result of a game.

An occasional closely called offside doesn't need to apply. But a handball in the box or a ball that does or does not cross the line...these need to be addressed and I for one am ok with technology doing so.

Heathen
08-06-2008, 08:53 AM
No, because the variable is the training and accountability of the referee himself, otherwise the pub league ref could easily be reffing the WC final couldn't he?

Anyway, why is it so important that this game should remain at the discretion of morons? I've seen refs spoil too many games for me to accept that 'it's a part of the game'

To enhance Redrum's point, the technology exists for a ref to carry a device that would allow him to see a replay from over three different angles within seconds of the event.

I personally believe it's time to free the players from these incompetent goons, and let them play the game properly.

Well as long as it doesn't unneccessarily disrupt the flow of the game that's fine, if the ref has a hand held device he can quickly review. I definitely don't want the NHL, NFL crap where the ref runs over to the sideline and we wait 5 minutes for a decision.

H Bomb
08-06-2008, 08:59 AM
Well as long as it doesn't unneccessarily disrupt the flow of the game that's fine, if the ref has a hand held device he can quickly review. I definitely don't want the NHL, NFL crap where the ref runs over to the sideline and we wait 5 minutes for a decision.

4th can do it while the game is in action and headset any info to the pitch

king10
08-06-2008, 09:04 AM
maybe they should develop something like the hawk eye technology that they use in tennis.. its 100% accurate and takes only 5 seconds to deterime if the call was correct or not

rocker
08-06-2008, 09:11 AM
did you guys notice that Howard Webb from the EPL did the Superliga game last night?
I thought he was a refreshing change from the norm.

sulfur
08-06-2008, 09:18 AM
The big problem with all of those things is that it still delays the game. There's still potential for a stoppage.

In terms of hockey offside vs footie offside... in hockey, you only really need to look down a single line. In footie, you have to look at both where (and when) the ball is kicked and where the players are.

We have two eyes, but it's hard to focus them on two places at the same time. :)

Heathen
08-06-2008, 09:36 AM
4th can do it while the game is in action and headset any info to the pitch

you mean 5th,

H Bomb
08-06-2008, 09:41 AM
^^ I wouldn't be against it.

Roogsy
08-06-2008, 09:41 AM
did you guys notice that Howard Webb from the EPL did the Superliga game last night?
I thought he was a refreshing change from the norm.

I didn't watch the game...but good for them. A competent referee for once.

CoachGT
08-06-2008, 10:09 AM
FIFA has an intitative to automate parts of the game, using replays and such. The qualifying criteria is that the decision must be able to be made by the referee on the field and quickly (no delay in the flow). They were trying to do this with a ball that had some sort of sensor to go off so that only the ref could tell, only if the ball fully crossed the line. Given the limitations imposed by FIFA, video replay may not have a chance.

Technorgasm
08-06-2008, 11:45 AM
Ben pretty much summed it up for me. . .

I think the bulk of injustice that we have witnessed has been very costly for TFC.

The players, coaches, ownership and fans are all working their hearts out to make this league a success. They deserve a fair, clean call from men entrusted to govern the games on the pitch. I'm not seeking perfection – ever. I just want to be able to watch 90 minutes of Major League Soccer and not even notice the officials, except to occasionally nudge whomever's beside me to say “You know, he was right!”

Cashcleaner
08-07-2008, 06:54 AM

They will laugh. And point. And call you names. But you'll still be absolutely right. We have the technology to make a lot of positive changes in the sport but sadly, we probably won't ever see them implemented. Of course, our second-best option is to maintain a pool of full-time and FIFA-endorsed professional officials in MLS and make them truly accountable to the league.

Nerepis
08-07-2008, 07:00 AM
... Of course, our second-best option is to maintain a pool of full-time and FIFA-endorsed professional officials in MLS and make them truly accountable to the league.

Are you actually advocating the use of people who know what their doing?:rolleyes:

Cashcleaner
08-07-2008, 07:09 AM
^ Makes me a total hypocrite, doesn't it? :D

CoachGT
08-07-2008, 10:43 AM
From the MLS website:

Referees assigned to any Pro Games are evaluated by National Assessors. For each MLS game, there is a National Assessor in the stadium, called an In-Stadium Observer and another National Assessor called a Coach/Mentor watching the game live at home.

The game is taped by the Coach / Mentor for additional review.
The In-Stadium Observer will go into the referee locker room after the game to discuss any critical incidents that have occurred during the game. Afterwards, the In-Stadium Observer will have an in-depth discussion with the Coach/Mentor. In addition, the Coach/Mentor may receive input from US Soccer/CSA Staff. The MLS League Office supplies League input.
The Coach/Mentor will write the final evaluation and grade the referee. All Coach/Mentors have officiated at a very high level. Many are past FIFA referees, National Instructors, and have decades of experience at a high level. For some MLS games, US Soccer or the CSA will have a Coach/Mentor travel with the referee crew for personal "hands on" coaching before the game.
Each referee that works an MLS game receives a videotape of the match immediately following the game. The referee is required to view the video and write a self-evaluation of his performance. The report is submitted to USSF electronically and can be viewed by the Coach / Mentors, US Soccer or, where appropriate, CSA staff and MLS officials. The final evaluation is discussed with the referee by the Coach/Mentor. When a referee receives an evaluation that is not acceptable, the referee is notified by the Coach/Mentor, and the performance is discussed in depth. The referee is also contacted by a member of the US Soccer or, where appropriate, CSA Staff, and they talk about the game and their performance. When a referee has an unacceptable performance at any level, their assignment status at that level is reviewed. When it occurs in MLS, the referee is provided with professional guidance and opportunities to demonstrate the skill sets required for the Professional Level prior to being allocated further MLS games.

I'd love to see the assessment of Sunday's game! Let's see how the MLS has assessed the performance by when this guy refs another game.

SLBuu
08-07-2008, 02:29 PM
I find nothing charming about a human screwing up when a robot could do the job better.

with that comment you can put hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of people out of work in any industry around the world....... ;)

TFC_Toon
08-07-2008, 05:31 PM
I have become very distressed at the standard of officiating in Major League Soccer.

Me too.....:(

TFC_Toon
08-07-2008, 05:34 PM
From the MLS website:
I'd love to see the assessment of Sunday's game! Let's see how the MLS has assessed the performance by when this guy refs another game.

With our luck Gary we will probably get him this weekend in Colorado:noidea:
I know, not likely thank god.