PDA

View Full Version : How was Barrett?

Tintin
08-05-2008, 12:40 PM
This might have been talked on another thread, if so plese direct me to it! If not, since I was not at the geme, I would like to know how he looked> Upsides, downsides, potential, first impressions...

Thanks!

Red CB Toronto
08-05-2008, 12:41 PM
He looked good until he had to leave the game due to a leg injury, he had some nice shots.

Roogsy
08-05-2008, 12:41 PM
And he made a nice run on a through-ball from Cunny.

Had Cunny got the angle right...I think it could have been a goal. Instead, it was too direct at the keeper. But Barrett still made a chance out of it.

S_D
08-05-2008, 12:42 PM
Didn't really do to much. Sent a shot over the net and then got subbed off due to a calf cramp.

He needs some practice with the team before we can make any quality judgements.

Nodoubtguy
When he went down, I thought it was just in disappointment of missing the shot....

Tintin
Is the injury serious?

Shaughno
08-05-2008, 12:46 PM
Didn't really do to much. Sent a shot over the net and then got subbed off due to a calf cramp.

He needs some practice with the team before we can make any quality judgements.

This part was glaringly obvious. He was making good runs, but both he didn't know where the other players were and they didn't know where he was going to be. I saw enough positives to give me decent enough hope for the kid.

Phil
08-05-2008, 12:49 PM
He needs time with the team and some time with the conditioning coach. Apparently his injury was just a cramp due to lack of game shape.

Like Shaughno said, I saw enough to think there is a good player in him.

GabrielHurl
08-05-2008, 12:49 PM
And he made a nice run on a through-ball from Cunny.

Had Cunny got the angle right...I think it could have been a goal. Instead, it was too direct at the keeper. But Barrett still made a chance out of it.

He was offside on that chance

ACSertL
08-05-2008, 12:51 PM
He needs time with the team and some time with the conditioning coach. Apparently his injury was just a cramp due to lack of game shape.

Like Shaughno said, I saw enough to think there is a good player in him.

Totally agree; I mentioned the conditioning bit in a different thread. Winsper will get him game ready for sure!

Canadian Blue
08-05-2008, 12:52 PM
Looks good for the future

Velvet Elvis
08-05-2008, 12:53 PM
This part was glaringly obvious. He was making good runs, but both he didn't know where the other players were and they didn't know where he was going to be. I saw enough positives to give me decent enough hope for the kid.

I agree. Several times he had the ball, and did a little left and right look to see where everyone was. Once he gets on the same page with everyone he won't have to go looking, he'll know where everyone should be.

He looks like he has some pace, and he seemed reasonably solid on the ball. I think he'll do alright.

Velvet Elvis
08-05-2008, 12:59 PM
Totally agree; I mentioned the conditioning bit in a different thread. Winsper will get him game ready for sure!

Good point.

Parkdale
08-05-2008, 12:59 PM
considering he arrived on Thursday and played Sunday, I think he showed a great deal of potential. Hopefully he can recover from his minor injury and get some time in practice before the Colorado game. Certainly by the time we play NYRB, he should be fully up to speed with the team dynamic.

bangersandmash
08-05-2008, 01:02 PM
I gotta go with the consensus here. Barrett didn't write himself into the book of TFC legends by bagging a goal but he looked like he will become a real hassle for keepers down the line.

Rawkus_420
08-05-2008, 01:03 PM
When he went down, I thought it was just in disappointment of missing the shot....

I thought the same thing...and when I watched his low light reels on you tube, he did the same thing and layed down after missing , so Im sure thats what it was, but apparently he was hurt...hes a far better passer than cunny which is good because he can hodl the ball make a pass and then a run to receicve it, still too early to judge though, he needs to gel with the rest of the team, btu from what I saw so far we'll take him!

sidney
08-05-2008, 01:10 PM
...I like him, he shows promise, effort, pace, and he's the best striker we have available at the moment. Barrett and Danny D would be a solid combo upfront for us.

rocker
08-05-2008, 01:15 PM
at least he gives us more hope than Cunny does!

Cashcleaner
08-05-2008, 01:17 PM
Barett looked alright for the short time I saw him on the pitch. And I totally understand the reason for taking him off, so it wasn't a huge disappointment in my opinion. Too early to tell exactly how he works out, but I think he'll serve a purpose.

trane
08-05-2008, 01:17 PM
I think that he looked OK, he seems to a be a quality striker. He is part of the sollution.

joel
08-05-2008, 01:34 PM
On the play he got injured I was pretty impressed mainly because no one else (maybe guevara) on our team would have made that kind of effort to spin around a shot like that it was almost a 180 degree turn, pretty difficult.

Couple plays he did some dichio-like holding up the ball, hopefully he can do more of that, the ball service was good from the wings when there was time to spread FCD out.

Dustin
08-05-2008, 01:35 PM
The real question is: Did anyone else see that bicycle kick??? If he keeps doing shit like that we'll love this guy

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3057/2735497145_3a541c8fd4.jpg

ACSertL
08-05-2008, 01:37 PM
^ My brother said if that had gone in he was going to the merch booth to get a Barrett jersey on the spot. Bad for the team, good that my bro isn't out 140 bucks :)

Shakes McQueen
08-05-2008, 01:39 PM
The real question is: Did anyone else see that bicycle kick??? If he keeps doing shit like that we'll love this guy

My friend and I screamed "holy fuck!" when we saw him try that. That to me indicated that he was trying to make a good impression on the club and the fans.

While getting Rolfe would have been nice, I can see Barrett becoming a fan favourite here, if he continues to improve.

- Scott

Shaughno
08-05-2008, 01:40 PM
On the play he got injured I was pretty impressed mainly because no one else (maybe guevara) on our team would have made that kind of effort to spin around a shot like that it was almost a 180 degree turn, pretty difficult.

Couple plays he did some dichio-like holding up the ball, hopefully he can do more of that, the ball service was good from the wings when there was time to spread FCD out.

That's the thing, he looks more like a proper striker than any player we've ever had up front.

DigzTFC!
08-05-2008, 01:46 PM
Barrett is more the type of forward we need as Rolfe is a winger due to his small size at 150 lbs. Barrett will be a fan favorite. 5 goals before the season closes

Bobo
08-05-2008, 03:04 PM

Why? Did it work? I don't think we'd be cheering for a 0 success rate long. Look at how we turned on Cunny....

Carver said he took Barrett off for precautionary measures so I think we can expect him to play against Colorado.

Velvet Elvis
08-05-2008, 03:19 PM
Why? Did it work? I don't think we'd be cheering for a 0 success rate long. Look at how we turned on Cunny....

It's because he made the effort ... he saw an opportunity and tried to make something of it. He's in the play, he's looking to attack. These are good qualities, and the right instincts.

We turned on Cunny because his heart wasn't in it. He stopped running for balls, he pulled himself out of the attack, he didn't track back and support the mids ...

He put more effort into Sunday's performance than he has all season.

profit89
08-05-2008, 03:21 PM
He works very hard.

Unlike...
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/79/Cunnytfc.jpg

nimamalek
08-05-2008, 03:27 PM
he should have scored right before he went off, defensive mistake, all the time in the world, inside the box and.....he puts it over.

rocker
08-05-2008, 03:33 PM
regarding Cunny, I think complaining about his "effort" is beside the point... I don't really care about Cuntingham's level of effort.

Whether he gave it his all, or was lazy, he has had a shitload of chances that he should have easily knocked in. If he had scored on all those easy chances, nobody would be talking about effort.

I actually think Cunny has worked pretty hard for the last 5-6 appearances. But he cannot finish and doesn't have the soccer IQ to take advantage of great service... and he tries to do everything on his own -- when yet when he does pass off, it's a bad pass.
None of this really has to do with effort. If Cunny worked harder he wouldn't knock in those one-on-ones with the keeper, or the balls on the line, or the easy headers.

It's like when everyone praised Lombardo for being a hard worker.. who cares if he can't score?

jloome
08-05-2008, 03:40 PM
His teammates. Seriously, the biggest problem with Cunny isn't just his lack of scoring; even this year, he could end up with 8-10 goals if he played every game (he has three coming off the bench in half a season, after all). It's his lack of concentration, which directly results from his piss poor attitude.He is known throughout the league as a "locker room cancer"; saw how happy the Shite Bull fans were on Ives' site when they found he wasn't coming,and it was because of his affect on team morale.

Kooper
08-05-2008, 07:36 PM
He works very hard.

Unlike...
What shocked me is that he ran and tried for most of the game he played. As a coach it would piss me off and as a fan I am pissed that all this determination has been missing the last 2 months. Oh that and he missed the header in the first half without getting contact on it.

billyfly
08-05-2008, 09:38 PM
I wrote this on another thread as well but maybe this fits more on this one:

I was at the open practice today and wrote on one of the white boards they were handing out to the kids: Carver and Mo - Where's our striker?"

Chad Barrett comes over to where I am in the East stands to sign autographs and I tell him, "Read my board". I then say to him he can sign it only if he thinks he's the answer.

He signed it. Here's hoping......

RedLion
08-05-2008, 09:50 PM

Agreed. Not THE answer, but hopefully becomes part of the solution and will reserve judgement until he's had more time to train with the team. Looks like he'll be good for some goals and some moments of frustration, but at least he looked like a striker!

Upsides: youth, speed, hunger, attitude, bit of ego.

Still need a bona fide striker though.

Bobo
08-05-2008, 10:01 PM
It's because he made the effort ... he saw an opportunity and tried to make something of it. He's in the play, he's looking to attack. These are good qualities, and the right instincts.

We turned on Cunny because his heart wasn't in it. He stopped running for balls, he pulled himself out of the attack, he didn't track back and support the mids ...

He put more effort into Sunday's performance than he has all season.

So all it takes for Cunny applause is a failed overhead kick? Someone should tell the guy to get up and down the pitch in cartwheels.

All this valiant "always support" crap and everyone's booing the guy at games.....

Cashcleaner
08-06-2008, 02:59 AM

If he gets the ball in the back of the net, we'll love him regardless of the gymnastics. I'm still gonna wait to see him longer on the pitch before making a judgement, but I certainly hope he can help out up front. When the transaction was announced, I certainly wasn't blown away, so he's just like all the others vying for my attention.

BigPoppy
08-06-2008, 08:25 AM

Looks like one of your pic Dustin?

Velvet Elvis
08-06-2008, 08:33 AM
So all it takes for Cunny applause is a failed overhead kick? Someone should tell the guy to get up and down the pitch in cartwheels.

All this valiant "always support" crap and everyone's booing the guy at games.....

Not exactly what I was on about. It's not so much about the failed kick ... it's that Barret's mind is on the attack. His offensive instincts are there. You could see it in the way he approached the ball, in the way he positioned himself, the way he drew defenders out even when he didn't have the ball. These are what I'm applauding, because I believe these instincts are going to allow him to score goals for us in the very near future.

I don't see the attack mindset in Cunningham's play often ...

gtaguy
08-06-2008, 11:31 AM
he will over time become a solid striker.. may get in 10 to 12 goals a season and the same with assists... He's still young and could become a champ or a chump....

he at least looked good in the few times he had a chance.

ricciboy
08-07-2008, 03:43 PM
i want to hear your thoughts on Chad Barrett against FC Dallas

i think he played good

Shaughno
08-07-2008, 03:44 PM
Another new thread? Come on, :search:

loconet
08-07-2008, 03:45 PM
He had his good moments, not bad considering he was thrown in the team very quickly. Time will tell if he is what we need.

Corpand
without service, any striker looks like he's playing like crap. Still, give him time and once he connects with the wingers things will change, he will probably play better. Overall he wasnt bad but cant fully judge him on 3/4 of a match.

Roogsy
The youngsters in our midst are a little trigger happy, not just with opening new posts. Just ask their ladies! :thumbsup:

ricciboy
08-18-2008, 02:34 PM
He works very hard.

Unlike...
hahahahahaha