PDA

View Full Version : MLS CUP FINAL 2019 Viewing Parties

SuperTCP
10-31-2019, 10:13 AM
Please post viewing parties here.

Then try to get out to attend one. Its always better watching with fellow fans.

Forza TFC!!!

-----------------------------

VIEWING PARTIES SO FAR:

TORONTO:
Shoeless Joes (Red Patch Boys)
Real Sports (Hosted by TFC) First Floor is First come First Served. Doors open 11am. 2nd floor Fully booked
The Rec Room Toronto (Hosted by Footy Talks) – SOLD OUT
Craft Brasserie in Liberty Village – SOLD OUT
The Cloak and Dagger (U-Sector)
Locus (Kings in the North)
Convenience Bar (presenter by Captain Morgan)
Local44 Scarborough (Hosted by XTSC)
Shox Billard Lounge
123 Edward Street (Bianconeri YYZ Launch Party & MLS Cup Viewing)

OUTSIDE TORONTO:
Vaughan - The Mills TapHouse (TFC Tifosi)
Vaughan - Shoeless Joe’s
Vaughan - Trio Sportsplex
Guelph - The Fat Duck.
Burlington – Sly Fox
Burlington - Piper Arms
Mississauga – The Rec Room Mississauga
Barrie - Fionn MacCool's
Kitchener - Edelweiss Tavern (hosted by the Grand River Union)

Ottawa - The Senate Tavern (Hosted by Bytown Boys)

SuperTCP
10-31-2019, 10:14 AM
RPB Viewing - Shoeless Joes

TFC FO Viewing - Rumor has it that it will be at BMO Field. Stay tuned.

Vaughan - The Mills

CanadaLFC
10-31-2019, 10:17 AM
I think having a massive viewing party should be the key here. Something like BMO Field, ML Square etc. We need all fans to congregate in one place and paint the town Red!

Lil'John
10-31-2019, 11:39 AM
Homestand at the Rec Room
https://homestandsports.com/event/mls-cup-watch-party-toronto-fc-vs-seattle-sounders/

Real Sports for MLSE party?

pfk
10-31-2019, 03:17 PM
Homestand at the Rec Room
https://homestandsports.com/event/mls-cup-watch-party-toronto-fc-vs-seattle-sounders/

Real Sports for MLSE party?

Did anyone go to the Cinepshere last night?

pfk
10-31-2019, 03:19 PM
I think having a massive viewing party should be the key here. Something like BMO Field, ML Square etc. We need all fans to congregate in one place and paint the town Red!

It will probably be Maple Leaf Square, but I think Scotiabank will be good. No Leafs or Raptor games on the 10th at home (both on the road).

MightyDM
10-31-2019, 03:42 PM
On last nights game thread people went to Cinesphere.

We were at Joes, and it was fantastic. He is such a loyal supporter of the RPB that it is my first choice over anything.

James17930
11-01-2019, 04:44 AM
I really, really, really hope there's one huge viewing event at Maple Leaf Square. And, if there is, everyone should go there.

Gotta show the city how much support there is for the team, and scattering out to various small parties won't do it.

Heepster
11-01-2019, 08:31 AM
It will probably be Maple Leaf Square, but I think Scotiabank will be good. No Leafs or Raptor games on the 10th at home (both on the road).But it would be the wrong bank sponsor.
... one place with a large viewing would be great. It looks like it will be 3 degrees in the day, so something inside could be good. :)It could be any place, inside or out, where a big screen or two could be set up -- a parking lot, inside the trade (Enercare) centre (though that's not available because of Royal Winter Fair), etc.

Would Rogers Centre be out of the question (maybe a good MLSE compromise for a game shown on TSN, although TD Bank is a Blue Jays sponsor)? Is it completely closed from November through March? There now seems to be nothing there except baseball and one or two concerts during the summer. In the not-so-distant past there were all kinds of events there year-round -- concerts in various configurations including as small as 5000 seats, Disney On Ice, supercross, monster trucks, even watching TV shows like the last episodes of Cheers and Star Trek TNG on the screen (according to wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogers_Centre#Rogers_Centre_video_board)).

CBTFC
11-01-2019, 09:48 AM
Did anyone go to the Cinepshere last night?

I was there. It was a fantastic overall viewing experience and I'm wishing they would be holding the Final there as well, but alas.

Ample comfortable seating (it was maybe 60-75% full), accessible halftime smokeables area and of course the original 80' IMAX screen. No complaints.

But i'm in the same opinion of others that there should be one giant overall viewing event for this. Open up the ACC or BMO Field for this one please!

pfk
11-01-2019, 09:59 AM
I was there. It was a fantastic overall viewing experience and I'm wishing they would be holding the Final there as well, but alas.

Ample comfortable seating (it was maybe 60-75% full), accessible halftime smokeables area and of course the original 80' IMAX screen. No complaints.

But i'm in the same opinion of others that there should be one giant overall viewing event for this. Open up the ACC or BMO Field for this one please!

Thanks for the info! I agree with the opinions on this thread that one place with a large viewing would be great. It looks like it will be 3 degrees in the day, so something inside could be good. :)

Red4ever
11-01-2019, 08:32 PM
I really, really, really hope there's one huge viewing event at Maple Leaf Square. And, if there is, everyone should go there.

Gotta show the city how much support there is for the team, and scattering out to various small parties won't do it.

This

DavemTFC
11-03-2019, 03:48 AM
This is a longshot but will there be some kind of viewing party somewhere in Europe?

catz4ever
11-03-2019, 09:55 AM
I got a reservation at Real Sports Bar wondering if there will be a TFC turnout there? It’s our first time. If we decide to go to shoeless joes how early would we have to get there?

MightyDM
11-03-2019, 12:28 PM
Joes I would get there for 2. it will be hoppin' perfectly. But if you want more build up I am sure people will be there from noon.

viewsfromthe6
11-03-2019, 01:20 PM
Went to Real Sports for the Eastern Finals. Decent showing of TFC fans and good atmosphere when the goals were scored. No chanting or anything like that but my guess for the Finals is it will be a lot more lively.

OgtheDim
11-03-2019, 01:59 PM
This is a longshot but will there be some kind of viewing party somewhere in Europe?

There are MLS / TFC in Europe twitter accounts that might help

Red CB Toronto
11-03-2019, 03:01 PM
There are MLS / TFC in Europe twitter accounts that might help

If you are in London, Rileys on Haymarket is a pretty good place to start.They frequently show MLS games. Sky Sports Football is broadcasting the MLS Cup Final in the UK.

tfcfans
11-03-2019, 04:55 PM
Footy Talks folks are "selling" (free) tickets to the Rec Room for next Sunday's MLS Cup viewing party --- not sure if that means the Cinesphere thing is out or not ---- has anyone watched a game at the Rec Room? - is there good viewing from all locations in the seating area (multiple TVs?) or is this a situation where there are seats that would not allow you to view the game....just trying to give myself options here in case there is no "centralized event" or if the team simply does Brazen Head again and forces a lot of people into Liberty Village bars which likely will be jammed due to limited capacity --- I know "Joes" is the place for us but Joes will be a zoo too......will it be limited to card holding RPB members as per previous MLS Cups?

Sorry for all the questions but we have a week to figure this all out I guess....frankly its not a conversation I thought we would be having in July or so (we were just hoping to make the playoffs at that point), then I thought about 10 minutes into the ECF, that it was a nice season but it looks like we hit our wall.....and now here we are....simply shocking.....

:scarf:

David_Oliveira
11-05-2019, 07:35 AM
I hope that it will be limited to RPB members. We've pumped alot into that place over the years

Amir FC
11-05-2019, 08:40 AM
I've been to both places and I like Rec Room more since the bar is closer, more people .... but Cinesphere was cheaper and bigger screen. However, I'll probably never go back to Cinesphere because they kick you out right after the game without showing the trophy presentation.

No, not all seats are good in Rec room due to few columns around the room.

Ponderosa
11-05-2019, 09:19 AM
I hope that it will be limited to RPB members. We've pumped alot into that place over the years

To be fair to Joe and Kim - there have been times he's put on extra staff for us and we haven't packed the place and there's been more servers than tables to serve. Can't expect him to turn the place into a private RPB party unless we can absolutely guarantee the income. For the ECF he did put out reserved tables for RPB in the dining area - which is fair.

TFC Tifoso
11-05-2019, 09:27 AM
RPB Viewing - Shoeless Joes

TFC FO Viewing - Rumor has it that it will be at BMO Field. Stay tuned.

Vaughan - The Mills

Is The Mills a go?
Will definitely be there if it is.
Wanted to come out for the ECF and couldn't make it but looking forward to being there for the Final.

MightyDM
11-05-2019, 09:49 AM
Footy Talks folks are "selling" (free) tickets to the Rec Room for next Sunday's MLS Cup viewing party --- not sure if that means the Cinesphere thing is out or not ---- has anyone watched a game at the Rec Room? - is there good viewing from all locations in the seating area (multiple TVs?) or is this a situation where there are seats that would not allow you to view the game....just trying to give myself options here in case there is no "centralized event" or if the team simply does Brazen Head again and forces a lot of people into Liberty Village bars which likely will be jammed due to limited capacity --- I know "Joes" is the place for us but Joes will be a zoo too......will it be limited to card holding RPB members as per previous MLS Cups?

Sorry for all the questions but we have a week to figure this all out I guess....frankly its not a conversation I thought we would be having in July or so (we were just hoping to make the playoffs at that point), then I thought about 10 minutes into the ECF, that it was a nice season but it looks like we hit our wall.....and now here we are....simply shocking.....

I would expect that Joe will reserve tables for RPB as he did last week. That’s pretty fair. It’s the place to be in Liberty Village for sure

Red4ever
11-05-2019, 10:34 AM

If Joes were limited to current RPB members, it would a mistake. I would wager there aren't enough RPB to fill Joe's now (especially with many in Seattle). I'd also wager there are more non-members that make up their business than members.

Even in past years, you had to show any proof of affiliation at anytime rather than just current.

I hope to make it in.

Oldtimer
11-05-2019, 10:49 AM
If Joes were limited to current RPB members, it would a mistake. I would wager there aren't enough RPB to fill Joe's now (especially with many in Seattle). I'd also wager there are more non-members that make up their business than members.

Even in past years, you had to show any proof of affiliation at anytime rather than just current.

I hope to make it in.

There are more than enough current RPB to pack the place, it was packed even for the conference final. If you don't get in I'm sure a lot of bars will be showing the game.

Red4ever
11-05-2019, 11:06 AM
There are more than enough current RPB to pack the place, it was packed even for the conference final. If you don't get in I'm sure a lot of bars will be showing the game.

It is a small bar, I'll give you that.

Oldtimer
11-05-2019, 11:43 AM
TFC has announced Real Sports for the "official" viewing party. Doors open at 11am, on a first come, first serve basis.

pfk
11-05-2019, 12:17 PM
TFC has announced Real Sports for the "official" viewing party. Doors open at 11am, on a first come, first serve basis.

MLSE should really have a larger viewing party such as Scotiabank Arena, Maple Leaf Square, or something bigger than Real Sports.

Indoors would be preferred as it looks like it will be 2 degrees (feels like -3) on Sunday afternoon.

tfcfans
11-05-2019, 12:46 PM
What I don't understand, is that some people are saying online that RS is "full" as apparently they took reservations (not sure if this just internet rumors - I called and they said they were "full" but I'm not sure what that meant), and now the posting appears to be that it's simply first come first served (open at 11AM! - are people going to sit there for four hours?) and apparently no reservations were taken for that day....anyone have any insight?

Anyone with any guesses as to timing for Joes - Noon? earlier? later?

jabbronies
11-05-2019, 12:56 PM

I called to make a reservation today and they said don't bother coming in as they were fully booked

CBTFC
11-05-2019, 12:58 PM
Really disappointed that there isn't a giant inclusive viewing party a la BMO Field, Maple Leaf Square, etc. Leaving it up to all the bars and restaurants to have all these segregated viewing events. Boo urns. What a let down.

Red4ever
11-05-2019, 01:02 PM
Really disappointed that there isn't a giant inclusive viewing party a la BMO Field, Maple Leaf Square, etc. Leaving it up to all the bars and restaurants to have all these segregated viewing events. Boo urns. What a let down.

And compete against NFL football with sound. Could be disappointing.

tfcfans
11-05-2019, 01:03 PM
I called to make a reservation today and they said don't bother coming in as they were fully booked

I called and got the same thing -- they literally did not know what was going on until the tweet was already posted (great job MLSE! - it's not like this could have been communicated between all parties beforehand!) -- the woman seemed very nice and told me they just found out about this today and that it's already fully booked and they are only trying to figure out whether walk-ups will even be allowed; she told me that frankly you won't have a seat and you will be packed in like sardines at best....I guess it's time to camp out at Joes as I originally intended.....it's our home anyways....

Amir FC
11-05-2019, 01:10 PM
RS took down the reservation on Thursday morning for Sunday from 11 to 4:30 pm.

I dont understand either. Why can't we have a big venue for viewing party. Will TFC ever be as big as Raptors? obliviously the weather and timing are not helping. Much better buzz around the city in 2017.

Red4ever
11-05-2019, 01:11 PM
Despite the cold, I would actually do maple leaf square if they offered.

Initial B
11-05-2019, 01:47 PM
Does anyone know if there will be a viewing party somewhere in Ottawa?

Red CB Toronto
11-05-2019, 02:27 PM
I called and got the same thing -- they literally did not know what was going on until the tweet was already posted (great job MLSE! - it's not like this could have been communicated between all parties beforehand!) -- the woman seemed very nice and told me they just found out about this today and that it's already fully booked and they are only trying to figure out whether walk-ups will even be allowed; she told me that frankly you won't have a seat and you will be packed in like sardines at best....I guess it's time to camp out at Joes as I originally intended.....it's our home anyways....

Wonder if TFC would tell Real Sports they are taking the bar over and make it first come first serve. I am sure a lot of those resos were for NFL Sunday before we knew the Reds were in the final.

Red CB Toronto
11-05-2019, 02:27 PM
Does anyone know if there will be a viewing party somewhere in Ottawa?

Yes, The Senate on Bank, the Bytown Boys are putting it on.

613reppingTFC
11-05-2019, 03:45 PM
I haven't asked but never see anyone in the Kingston area posting...viewing parties around here?

catz4ever
11-05-2019, 06:29 PM
I actually reserved right after the Atlanta game and someone called and confirmed on Sunday

Red CB Toronto
11-05-2019, 06:47 PM
I actually reserved right after the Atlanta game and someone called and confirmed on Sunday

I would check to make sure, it seems there is a lack of communication between Real Sports and TFC.

catz4ever
11-05-2019, 06:53 PM
I just confirmed I’m good for Sunday

jazzy
11-05-2019, 10:13 PM
To be fair to Joe and Kim - there have been times he's put on extra staff for us and we haven't packed the place and there's been more servers than tables to serve. Can't expect him to turn the place into a private RPB party unless we can absolutely guarantee the income. For the ECF he did put out reserved tables for RPB in the dining area - which is fair.
You are right and , people should remember to tip ‘well’ the waitresses. They give up on many regulars and don’t always get the deserved tip ! And MLS in its stupidity is going against the NFL , Joe and other bars will lose the NFL $$$ as well .

Ossington Mental Youth
11-05-2019, 10:23 PM
Yeah I'm not official rpb but I live a block away and expect to get in. Last game wasn't packed at all would be stupid and unfair to expect it to be rpb only and keep the rest of us our yet not fill the place

jazzy
11-05-2019, 10:41 PM
Yeah I'm not official rpb but I live a block away and expect to get in. Last game wasn't packed at all would be stupid and unfair to expect it to be rpb only and keep the rest of us our yet not fill the place

yup , Joe has a right to make a living , he’s put out spreads before with only a few tables showing up . First come first serve and enjoy

MightyDM
11-06-2019, 07:34 AM
There were about 140 people seated at Joes for the Atlanta game. It was tons of fun double that and it will really rock.

pfk
11-06-2019, 09:32 AM
RS took down the reservation on Thursday morning for Sunday from 11 to 4:30 pm.

I dont understand either. Why can't we have a big venue for viewing party. Will TFC ever be as big as Raptors? obliviously the weather and timing are not helping. Much better buzz around the city in 2017.

I agree, there's not a lot of buzz like there was in 2016 and 2017. Perhaps it will start to increase closer to the match, but it seems awfully quiet.

BritSOL
11-06-2019, 09:34 AM
I agree, there's not a lot of buzz like there was in 2016 and 2017. Perhaps it will start to increase closer to the match, but it seems awfully quiet.

Possible all the home games in 2016 & 2017 helped with the hype.

bmm
11-06-2019, 09:39 AM
I called and got the same thing -- they literally did not know what was going on until the tweet was already posted (great job MLSE! - it's not like this could have been communicated between all parties beforehand!)

I emailed my rep a few days ago about this, and this morning got back a note from him saying that "no official communication has been made" but he'd "imagine that there will be a few spots in Liberty Village hosting a viewing party". So, there's that.

denime
11-06-2019, 09:57 AM
Wonder if TFC would tell Real Sports they are taking the bar over and make it first come first serve. I am sure a lot of those resos were for NFL Sunday before we knew the Reds were in the final.

My friends book RS Wednesday during the day( for just in case we make it),they told them why are they booking and why they want good table for 12 close to big screen.Reservation was confirmed,no issues.
Thursday afternoon I was told it all booked because MLS Final and they don't take any new reservation. It will be mixed crowd that's for sure, NFL and MLS

Cashcleaner
11-06-2019, 10:20 AM
Hello, all.

I just got off the phone with my ticket rep asking about what exactly is going on at Real Sport. Unfortunately, it sounds like there was a pretty big screw-up and a whole slew of seats were reserved beforehand for the MLS Cup Final and NFL matches. As a result, only the first floor has been given over to the MLS Cup Final on a first-come, first served basis.

To be honest, it’s very disappointing to hear that the club has not organized this viewing as well as they could have. I think BMO Field would have been a good option with the game getting patched into the big screen or something.

Anyway, I’m hoping Joe’s will allow for all fans this year. My membership lapsed years ago but we’re all running out of options to go.

michaeltfc91
11-06-2019, 11:15 AM
I can't express how sad it is there is no viewing party at Rogers Center / BMO Field or Jurassic Park.... How is the club supposed to become a big deal when MLS Cup is being treated like a regular season NHL game?

I guess I am just going to be watching locally, please let me know the viewing party in Vaughan / Woodbridge

urdiub
11-06-2019, 11:25 AM
Looking for a watch party in Kitchener Waterloo or around that area, anyone know of a place?

A Stick
11-06-2019, 11:39 AM
Looking for a watch party in Kitchener Waterloo or around that area, anyone know of a place? In Guelph, there will be a viewing party at The Fat Duck.

BelfastBoy
11-06-2019, 11:42 AM
Sly Fox in Burlington has a promotion. https://www.facebook.com/events/1328343437688558/

DinamoTFC
11-06-2019, 12:09 PM
I would check to make sure, it seems there is a lack of communication between Real Sports and TFC.

They should just set up a big screen in Liberty Village outdoors like they did for the past finals we hosted.

stevep
11-06-2019, 12:41 PM
Rec room has a viewing party

YYZ_Fan
11-06-2019, 12:47 PM
Craft Brasserie in Liberty Village will be showing the game on their TV's/Big Screen. It's always full of TFC fans pre-game at BMO. They have stopped taking reservations so there should be close to 200 people.

benito
11-06-2019, 01:12 PM
Rec Room in Mississauga is hosting a party too.
https://homestandsports.com/event/mls-cup-watch-party-square-one/

PawTar711
11-06-2019, 01:49 PM
:flare::flare::scarf: Com on you Reds!

TFC Tifoso
11-06-2019, 02:00 PM
I can't express how sad it is there is no viewing party at Rogers Center / BMO Field or Jurassic Park.... How is the club supposed to become a big deal when MLS Cup is being treated like a regular season NHL game?

I guess I am just going to be watching locally, please let me know the viewing party in Vaughan / Woodbridge

Vaughan viewing is at The Mills Taphouse...Jane and Rutherford area...

pfk
11-06-2019, 02:20 PM
Rec room has a viewing party

The downtown Toronto Rec Room event is now sold out, but the Square One Rec Room event still has availability.

michaeltfc91
11-06-2019, 03:18 PM
Vaughan viewing is at The Mills Taphouse...Jane and Rutherford area...

Thanks... Went there for the Atlanta game, great crowd. Hope it is even better for the final

daner90
11-06-2019, 09:06 PM
Anyone going out to watch the game in Barrie?

OgtheDim
11-06-2019, 09:18 PM
Still vaguely wondering why an organization like MLSE can't be bothered to organize ANYTHING in terms of a viewing party outside of a botched "come to our restaurant" event.

Like...nada. Bupkiss. Nothing.

This is actually embarrassing & in this city, smacks of second tier to the big boys stuff.

Ponderosa
11-06-2019, 09:25 PM
Still vaguely wondering why an organization like MLSE can't be bothered to organize ANYTHING in terms of a viewing party outside of a botched "come to our restaurant" event.

This is actually embarrassing & in this city, smacks of second tier to the big boys stuff.
These things do take time and people to organize...Perchance they didn’t believe the team had a hope or prayer of moving past DC?

If/when we bring home the cup...I hope these folks have plans in a file somewhere for a rally, parade, something.

SoccMan2
11-06-2019, 09:34 PM

Well just keep in mind that the lone playoff game versus D.C United didn’t even sell out only 25000 on a Saturday night with Wayne Rooney in town for a playoff game and there were 5000 empty seats . Maybe MLSE knows that if they opened up Scotia bank Arena or evening Maple Leaf Square and the place was empty it would not be a good look so there are not taking any chances. There is absolutely no buzz in the city for TFC in the MLS Cup nothing at all which probably explains why MLSE is not planning any type of a mass viewing unfortunately.

This is actually embarrassing & in this city, smacks of second tier to the big boys stuff.[/QUOTE]
Well just keep in mind that the lone playoff game versus D.C United didn’t even sell out only 25000 on a Saturday night with Wayne Rooney in town for a playoff game and there were 5000 empty seats . Maybe MLSE knows that if they opened up Scotia bank Arena or evening Maple Leaf Square and the place was empty it would not be a good look so there are not taking any chances. There is absolutely no buzz in the city for TFC in the MLS Cup nothing at all which probably explains why MLSE is not planning any type of a mass viewing unfortunately.

This is actually embarrassing & in this city, smacks of second tier to the big boys stuff.[/QUOTE]

ensco
11-06-2019, 10:04 PM

Nothing going on in Seattle either. That is generating a lot of commentary on twitter etc...

SirBobSaget
11-06-2019, 10:12 PM
A completely different energy than when we hosted. So surreal, since they moved on away with the final also being away there's a crazy disconnect. Doesnt really feel like were part of this run.

Brandon T
11-06-2019, 10:17 PM
I definitely want to go to a viewing party for this one but can't make it to downtown TO so my options are probably Vaughan or Mississauga. Haven't been to a viewing party before so I have no idea what to expect though.

Just from the pics I found it looks like the screen at the Rec Room is way bigger, is the Mills still decent when it comes to the view of the TVs? Also will both crowds be pretty hyped?

firm
11-06-2019, 10:42 PM
2X bunches of us going to piper arms on Fairview in burlington arnd 2 on Sunday

OgtheDim
11-06-2019, 11:09 PM
I don't buy the "It takes people" thing. Raptors - happened. Leafs - happens.

They could have done something to at least try to catch people locally to create a feeling of "Hey join us!" To at least try to build TV audiences - put out a blast telling bars "Hey register as having the game on & we'll tell people". I get it - MLSE wants all of this pie to themselves but if you are not going to offer it up, CREATE BUZZ.

Vanney was talking earlier this week about how there wasn't as much buzz downtown - well maybe because MLSE IS TOO DANG BUSY IGNORING THE PEOPLE STAYING HERE.

There has been NOT ONE piece from the team beyond the Seattle tickets & the usual pregames stuff.

Its Marketing 101 - your team is winning, create a communal buzz that drives people to buy tickets to be in with that next season.

Nah, I think the FO is WAAAAY too focused on what is going on in Seattle & has not spent a moment to consider that the majority of people are staying here. This is a team that basically says about away games "Its on TSN" and leaves it at that.

Even the Toronto Wolfpack do more then this for their away games.

And, I get it, North American sports teams don't do anything for their fans for away games beyond making sure its on TV. But take a LONG hard look at what EPL teams are doing in the US & around the world when it comes to games with organized events & supporter group venues & connecting them all. Heck, look at little Italy & Portugal on a Saturday. For Pete's sake, I bet that 1k of every 20K at a Saturday night game spent part of the day earlier in a bar / pub/ sporting club watching the "old team".

You've got the biggest event of the year for this team - on YOUR TV network - on a weekend afternoon - and people wanting to commune together for that event because THAT'S WHAT YOU GOT THEM TO DO FOR ONE OF YOUR TEAMS ALREADY THIS VERY YEAR"....and you just let that all slide?!?!?!

Stop thinking MLS fandom is like the NHL & start thinking that MLS fandom is more like Serie A.

Ultimately, this points out to me that the FO believes that fan engagement is most derived from a focus on the game experience when its actually largely derived from a focus on BELONGING. Its time the FO got off its ass and reexamined what it means to engage with supporters of the team - we are not just members at games - we are not just members of supporter groups who go to games. We actually care about this team when its playing AWAY too.

Start finding out how to access that passion.

James17930
11-07-2019, 12:01 AM
No viewing at Maple Leaf Square is criminal. I honestly cannot understand what the reasoning behind that must be.

Red4ever
11-07-2019, 07:37 AM

They could have done something to at least try to catch people locally to create a feeling of "Hey join us!" To at least try to build TV audiences - put out a blast telling bars "Hey register as having the game on & we'll tell people". I get it - MLSE wants all of this pie to themselves but if you are not going to offer it up, CREATE BUZZ.

Vanney was talking earlier this week about how there wasn't as much buzz downtown - well maybe because MLSE IS TOO DANG BUSY IGNORING THE PEOPLE STAYING HERE.

There has been NOT ONE piece from the team beyond the Seattle tickets & the usual pregames stuff.

Its Marketing 101 - your team is winning, create a communal buzz that drives people to buy tickets to be in with that next season.

Nah, I think the FO is WAAAAY too focused on what is going on in Seattle & has not spent a moment to consider that the majority of people are staying here. This is a team that basically says about away games "Its on TSN" and leaves it at that.

And, I get it, North American sports teams don't do anything for their fans for away games beyond making sure its on TV. But take a LONG hard look at what EPL teams are doing in the US & around the world when it comes to games with organized events & supporter group venues & connecting them all. Heck, look at little Italy & Portugal on a Saturday. For Pete's sake, I bet that 1k of every 20K at a Saturday night game spent part of the day earlier in a bar / pub/ sporting club watching the "old team".

You've got the biggest event of the year for this team - on YOUR TV network - on a weekend afternoon - and people wanting to commune together for that event because THAT'S WHAT YOU GOT THEM TO DO FOR ONE OF YOUR TEAMS ALREADY THIS VERY YEAR"....and you just let that all slide?!?!?!

Stop thinking MLS fandom is like the NHL & start thinking that MLS fandom is more like Serie A.

Ultimately, this points out to me that the FO believes that fan engagement is most derived from a focus on the game experience when its actually largely derived from a focus on BELONGING. Its time the FO got off its ass and reexamined what it means to engage with supporters of the team - we are not just members at games - we are not just members of supporter groups who go to games. We actually care about this team when its playing AWAY too.

This is so well said.

Boddington
11-07-2019, 08:02 AM
Anyone going out to watch the game in Barrie?

I am on the fence between watching at home or going to Fionn MacCool's. I messaged them on facebook and the responded saying they are having a viewing party but nothing advertised.

TFC Tifoso
11-07-2019, 08:27 AM
Thanks... Went there for the Atlanta game, great crowd. Hope it is even better for the final

no prob!...should be a great afternoon.

BritSOL
11-07-2019, 08:43 AM
I will be at Abbey Road pub in Mississauga with a few other people.

Amir FC
11-07-2019, 08:56 AM
WEGZ is another good option for people in Vaughan or Richmond Hill.

Forecast for Sunday is +7 with no rain. TSN is showing the game on TSN4 only, it looks like they're not even happy that TFC made it to the final !!!
I remember seeing "Toronto till I die" flying around downtown during playoffs.

urdiub
11-07-2019, 10:42 AM
In Guelph, there will be a viewing party at The Fat Duck.

Thanks for letting me know! Just found out Edelweiss Tavern in Kitchener is having a viewing party (projector and full sound) hosted by the Grand River Union if anyone is in the KW area!

SuperTCP
11-07-2019, 10:49 AM
I posted all currently known viewing parties on the first post of this forum. I will add more as they come.

Also I contacted MLSE yesterday to see if they were showing the game at the square and they replied to check back on Friday.

pfk
11-07-2019, 10:50 AM

Well said.

Do you all remember in 2016 and 2017, John Tory was walking around with COYR scarf, the MLS put a big trophy in Nathan Philips Square. Yes, the game is not in Toronto, but there's nothing going on. Nothing. Nada. Zip.

It's as if the team missed the playoffs. The Front Office is really screwing themselves on this.

On Sunday there is nothing going on in Scotiabank Arena, Skydome, or Maple Leaf Square. What is wrong with the MLSE?! This is a perfect opportunity to generate excitement for the team!

If they win, are they going to have a party at Chuck E Cheese for the team?

Amir FC
11-07-2019, 11:09 AM
I forgot to ask, do all these places show Liverpool VS Man City?

Red CB Toronto
11-07-2019, 11:16 AM
The real question here is what does MLSE consider worth their while when it comes to the Reds at least in their eyes? Honest question if they did a Maple Leaf Square showing would it hit capacity and have people lining up in anticipation of getting in. Just look at the Raptors, the momentum they built up during the post-season has begun to waver, it just was not sustainable. You could walk into Jurassic Park just before tipoff for the season opener for instances. It kinda looks like this MLS Cup finals appearance kind of just jumped up upon them and not much effort has been put into it.

OgtheDim
11-07-2019, 11:32 AM
Yeah, I see that Red CB - good point.

There's way of doing this, and there's ways of creating game day buzz when the team isn't at home - North American sports teams outside of the NFL are particularly BAD at that. In this town, for this sport, this could be developed. And this Sunday is a good place to start - just dissapointed the team has been completely silent about the fans left here.

ensco
11-07-2019, 12:02 PM
The depth of interest just isn’t there.

I am struck by the contrast between the frenzy for tickets in Seattle, and the lack of any of these kind of events there either.

MLS is a lot like NASCAR. Rabid but narrow fan base.

Scott
11-07-2019, 12:15 PM
If we want to discuss when our club started to waver it was last year when they missed the playoffs. Sure injuries happen but I feel like this was a huge moment. The fact that this club's front office isn't doing everything in their power to harness that energy back on this cup run is a massive misstep. Let's hope they do come up with a big announcement of an event and that it does get a good showing. The problem is... they left it very late. Lots of people that had interest have already committed to other places by now which means their turnout could be from fairweatherfans. I'll be in Seattle. Lets get this W and worry about the parade after. GO TFC.

jabbronies
11-07-2019, 12:21 PM
I think not having a home game in the later stages of the playoffs has been a huge contributor to the lack of interest / hype we are seeing this year

Rene Kingsriver
11-07-2019, 12:37 PM
The lack of media interest is hardly a surprise we all know we have to fight for any coverage, we'll always be the outsiders. I don't care anymore what I know is that thousands of us will be watching this game whether at home, bars and pubs or in Seattle and every TFC fan I see Sunday pre-game is getting a high five, post game you may get hugs :)

Red CB Toronto
11-07-2019, 01:17 PM
The MLS Cup and the league in general in many ways is still an in stadium experience for most including here in Toronto. Beyond the supporter groups and some that care most are just not vested in this club 24 7. Someone cares about something or they do not, you can not hit them over the head to care and that is reflected in the approach MLSE and others take to this. It does not look good and can become costly if you having events that few are attending, the 2017 Grey Cup week was an example of that.

If you are talking about what MLSE is doing, you also have to consider that MLSE internally from one department can have issues with another. I have seen that with my own eyes and an example of that is TFC and Real Sports, where its being tweeted out that a viewing party is going and RS seems to not being completely on the same page. I have seen that more than a few times. There is a reason why not every TFC team viewing event is held there, they know their place.

Yeah, I see that Red CB - good point.

There's way of doing this, and there's ways of creating game day buzz when the team isn't at home - North American sports teams outside of the NFL are particularly BAD at that. In this town, for this sport, this could be developed. And this Sunday is a good place to start - just dissapointed the team has been completely silent about the fans left here.

The depth of interest just isn’t there.

I am struck by the contrast between the frenzy for tickets in Seattle, and the lack of any of these kind of events there either.

MLS is a lot like NASCAR. Rabid but narrow fan base.

Red CB Toronto
11-07-2019, 01:25 PM
The lack of media interest is hardly a surprise we all know we have to fight for any coverage, we'll always be the outsiders. I don't care anymore what I know is that thousands of us will be watching this game whether at home, bars and pubs or in Seattle and every TFC fan I see Sunday pre-game is getting a high five, post game you may get hugs :)

And the fight for coverage just got that much harder, the Wolfpack have even trumped them with the signing of Sonny Bill Williams. Its getting coverage from all over the world.

Oldtimer
11-07-2019, 01:43 PM
And the fight for coverage just got that much harder, the Wolfpack have even trumped them with the signing of Sonny Bill Williams. Its getting coverage from all over the world.

Rugby, like soccer has a dedicated fanbase in these parts, but it's much smaller. Seriously ask around and 95%+ of gta residents won't have heard of Sonny Bill Williams, and if you told them he's a country singer, they'd believe you.

He might be famous overseas, but here he barely moves the needle for five minutes.

Apologies to any Wolfpack fans, but it's a niche sport much more than soccer is (which is mainstream for Millenials).

kodiakTFC
11-07-2019, 05:53 PM
Rugby, like soccer has a dedicated fanbase in these parts, but it's much smaller. Seriously ask around and 95%+ of gta residents won't have heard of Sonny Bill Williams, and if you told them he's a country singer, they'd believe you.

He might be famous overseas, but here he barely moves the needle for five minutes.

Apologies to any Wolfpack fans, but it's a niche sport much more than soccer is (which is mainstream for Millenials).

Very accurate. I have season tickets for both and the parallels are everywhere. Wolfpack in many ways are like TFC’s little brother.

Red CB Toronto
11-07-2019, 06:10 PM
Very accurate. I have season tickets for both and the parallels are everywhere. Wolfpack in many ways are like TFC’s little brother.

But no doubt Sonny Bill is a big name in the sports world, the coverage for his signing with the Wolfpack from around the world has been amazing to see.

Oldtimer
11-07-2019, 10:06 PM
But no doubt Sonny Bill is a big name in the sports world, the coverage for his signing with the Wolfpack from around the world has been amazing to see.

For sure. I see parallels to Beckham and MLS.

tfcfan2011
11-08-2019, 10:34 AM
Any viewing parties happening in Durham Region? Would be good to hit a place with a group to get loud.

SuperTCP
11-08-2019, 10:57 AM
"Thank you for following up.

Unfortunately, we are not showing the TFC game at Maple Leafs Square.

Thanks for being a fan!"

- MLSE FAN SERVICES

:facepalm:

JT Red127
11-08-2019, 11:12 AM

Thanks for being a fan!"

- MLSE FAN SERVICES

LOL thats ridiculous. Wtf are they going to have on instead? Just put the game on, its not like you need to setup anything. Literally turn it on.

pfk
11-08-2019, 11:23 AM

Thanks for being a fan!"

- MLSE FAN SERVICES

Wow, way to support the team, ML$E.

Oldtimer
11-08-2019, 12:42 PM

Thanks for being a fan!"

- MLSE FAN SERVICES

Leiweke never would have stood for that.

Scotty74
11-08-2019, 01:44 PM
Official viewing party organized by TFC is a bit of a joke, 11am doors open and first come, first serve - no thanks!

8 of us booked a table in The Pint, made it clear we need a screen with the game on

flambe
11-08-2019, 01:48 PM
Goes to show that MLSE is really only concerned about the larger revenue streams. The actual fans that want to get together to watch an away game probably aren't worth the time and effort for MLSE to worry about setting up anything. There is no excuse for them not to have, RS Bar was an obvious after thought that backfired.

Thank god we have places like Joe's and the Brazen Head.

Heepster
11-08-2019, 02:06 PM
No viewing at Maple Leaf Square is criminal. I honestly cannot understand what the reasoning behind that must be.Maybe conflicting bank sponsors (BMO - Scotiabank)?
I thought maybe inside the Enercare Centre/Coca-Cola Coliseum might work, but unfortunately it's occupied by the last day of the Royal Winter Fair.

TFC Tifoso
11-08-2019, 02:30 PM

Thanks for being a fan!"

- MLSE FAN SERVICES

hey man....you gonna be at The Mills then?

Initial B
11-08-2019, 03:52 PM
I'll head to the Senate in Ottawa to commiserate with other Fury fans. :(

flambe
11-08-2019, 09:04 PM
I'd imagine Liberty Commons will have the game on too.
Eugh, left all this far too late, most places are booked up.

Richard
11-08-2019, 09:50 PM

Thanks for being a fan!"

- MLSE FAN SERVICES

https://media.giphy.com/media/ns1MB6eGcdyVi/giphy.gif

Lennon
11-08-2019, 10:54 PM
So how early will I have to get to Shoeless to get a table? I should probably head out now ..

Also, anybody know where Inebriatti is watching the game?

SoccMan2
11-09-2019, 10:46 AM
So just watching TSN’s top 10 TFC moments, how this team is not even more popular in this city is beyond me. That 2016 classic playoff game versus Montreal at BMO Field has to be one of the most thrilling sporting events ever in Toronto and you can put all the Raptor games you want up against it. The weather was so Canadian cold and raining and snowing as well. The atmosphere was incredible at BMO that night. Then to lose on PK’s in 2016 and then coming back the next year and winning it against the same team . Moreover, the Champions League run and beating those top Mexican teams on the way to the final. But yet with all that this team is in another final and hardly anyone seems to care in Toronto it seems , incredible.

pfk
11-09-2019, 11:25 AM
So just watching TSN’s top 10 TFC moments, how this team is not even more popular in this city is beyond me. That 2016 classic playoff game versus Montreal at BMO Field has to be one of the most thrilling sporting events ever in Toronto and you can put all the Raptor games you want up against it. The weather was so Canadian cold and raining and snowing as well. The atmosphere was incredible at BMO that night. Then to lose on PK’s in 2016 and then coming back the next year and winning it against the same team . Moreover, the Champions League run and beating those top Mexican teams on the way to the final. But yet with all that this team is in another final and hardly anyone seems to care in Toronto it seems , incredible.

There's some much opportunity to build this brand with MLSE nearly monopolizing professional sports and being part-owned by media behemoths. The team got some good promotion in the other Cup runs. I get that TFC wasn't very good last year and poor midway through this year and support dipped and the Raptors got most of the attention. But a 13-game unbeaten streak and a chance to win a second title.... Crickets. It makes no sense.

Red18andRed23
11-09-2019, 11:42 AM
Totall agree with you both...my mind is blown over the lack of support from our City...I work downtown and besides the sign at City Hall...I saw no love for TFC...soooo disappointing!!

That night in 2016...November 30th against Montreal was the best ever sporting event I have ever been too...including both Cup finals...don’t get me wrong the 2017 Cup final was incredible too...but I will never forget the feeling knowing that we were going to our first cup final!! I have the time of Jozy’s game winning goal tattooed on my foot so I will never forget that moment in 2017 ;) 6 on a wave!!!!!!

Sitting in the Buffalo airport as I type this...hope to meet and make new TFC friends in Seattle and bring home more Cup final memories!!

GO TFC!!!!

Jen

There's some much opportunity to build this brand with MLSE nearly monopolizing professional sports and being part-owned by media behemoths. The team got some good promotion in the other Cup runs. I get that TFC wasn't very good last year and poor midway through this year and support dipped and the Raptors got most of the attention. But a 13-game unbeaten streak and a chance to win a second title.... Crickets. It makes no sense.

kaiteng
11-09-2019, 01:03 PM

- The crave of winning a major North American pro sport championship in 2016-17 was still at the all-time high back then. Now that the bigger team in Raptors has won the Chip, the crave for at least casuals is now gone.
- Not having many home playoff games including the Final also doesn't help.
- The playoff format is now much shorter, so does the time to market and promote it.
- TFC fan base is still really not that large. Giovinco Era TFC and its playoff runs generated some bandwagon riders, but they have now jumped off.

I mean, the TFC vs DCU game, which I also attended, wasn't a sold out even though it could likely be the last home game of the season AND last Wayne Rooney's MLS game ever. Even the game was very entertaining, the outlook of it disheartened me a bit.

Now that I will have a work day off for tomorrow, I still have no idea where to watch in a big group tomorrow now.

tfcfans
11-09-2019, 08:22 PM
For those that care, the Rec Room near the Dome (hosted by Footy Talks) has just had some GA "free tickets" open up online now as an alternative....."sold out" again like 10 minutes later....that was fast....

daner90
11-09-2019, 09:09 PM
I may try Hooligans tomorrow, they are advertising for the game and Facebook and they seem to have pretty good crowds for all sporting events

Ossington Mental Youth
11-09-2019, 09:43 PM
What's the word on Joe's?

MightyDM
11-10-2019, 03:01 AM
What's the word on Joe's?

Yup. Joes will be fabulous be there. Only place to be. King and Dufferin one block east

Red CB Toronto
11-10-2019, 03:04 AM
For those that care, the Rec Room near the Dome (hosted by Footy Talks) has just had some GA "free tickets" open up online now as an alternative....."sold out" again like 10 minutes later....that was fast....

Shoeless is home, thus Joes is the place to be.

kaiteng
11-10-2019, 10:21 AM

I just got a GA pass few minutes ago. I really hope it will be a very entertaining event.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-10-2019, 11:52 AM
Yup. Joes will be fabulous be there. Only place to be. King and Dufferin one block east

Bunch of us were concerned with not getting seats. I gotta work til 230-3 which means others are in the driver's seat. Partially why I hate watching big games at bars.

tfcfans
11-10-2019, 12:07 PM
I have one extra “VIP” reserved seat for the Rec Room event downtown - selling for its FV cost of $27.50 (it was actually $27.54) - PM me if interested!

EMT for e-ticket.

Thanks!

Lennon
11-10-2019, 12:19 PM
Heading over to Joe's now. Hopefully it's not too late.

kodiakTFC
11-10-2019, 12:39 PM
Heading over to Joe's now. Hopefully it's not too late.

Can you let us know if it’s packed?

catz4ever
11-10-2019, 01:25 PM
I have a reservation for 2:30 at real sports if any wants gonna stay closer to home

grizzle
11-10-2019, 01:32 PM
I have a reservation for 2:30 at real sports if any wants gonna stay closer to home

how much room do you have? In line now with 2 others but line is not moving and apparently full.

catz4ever
11-10-2019, 01:38 PM
how much room do you have? In line now with 2 others but line is not moving and apparently full.

I have a reservation for 2 people DM me

grizzle
11-10-2019, 01:40 PM
I have a reservation for 2 people DM me

Damn thanks for the offer but won’t get us all in. Thanks though!

flambe
11-10-2019, 02:10 PM
I’ll take that reservation if it’s still available catz.

catz4ever
11-10-2019, 02:12 PM
I’ll take that reservation if it’s still available catz.
I dm you enjoy it’s for 2:30

Eastend
11-10-2019, 02:15 PM
Joe's has been standing room only since around 1pm. Real Sports was seating reservations first even though it was noted multiple places it was 1st come 1st served. Tone of MLSE employees getting in 1st.

But that's ok, got in at Joe's.

flambe
11-10-2019, 02:16 PM
Beauty. Thanks!!

flambe
11-10-2019, 02:19 PM
Text me 4165225774 if that helps. My DM isn’t working I don’t think.

Lennon
11-10-2019, 04:14 PM
Got to Joe's at 1:30 and found a spot at the back with 2 folding chairs.

Guys with a table are saying they've been here since 11:30.