PDA

View Full Version : Dave Simpson practices with TFC.

king dave
08-05-2008, 12:16 PM
Just got back and saw this guy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Simpson_%28soccer%29
in full practice. He's Canadian and he was in as striker.
He's big and fast.
KD.

Stugatzo
08-05-2008, 12:19 PM
Which TFC??
hahahaha
He played for these guys in Hungary!
:-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lombard-P%C3%A1pa_TFC

MisterMacphisto
08-05-2008, 12:23 PM
Is this the same guy?

KZ_m-omv1tY

DigzTFC!
08-05-2008, 12:25 PM
Interesting move....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBwMPu623lU

MG42
08-05-2008, 12:27 PM
^ that is one of the strangest "highlight" videos I have ever seen

Stugatzo
08-05-2008, 12:27 PM
Worst...highlight...reel...ever!!!!
Not his fault, but runs, passes and an offside call do NOT a highlight reel make!!

Shaughno
08-05-2008, 12:28 PM
Seems like an interesting player. Fast, fairly strong on the ball, quick feet. Would be a treat to see how he fares up in the MLS as it seems most of his time has been spent in leagues at equal or worse than the MLS.

MisterMacphisto
08-05-2008, 12:28 PM
Worst...highlight...reel...ever!!!!
Not his fault, but runs, passes and an offside call do NOT a highlight reel make!!

Still, he moves really good in the video... at least relative to Cunningham. :rolleyes:

Shaughno
08-05-2008, 12:38 PM
Still, he moves really good in the video... at least relative to Cunningham. :rolleyes:

The video is far from a 'highlight' reel, BUT! It shows his movement on and off the ball. His hustle and willingness to challenge for every ball including ones he's lost out on. It shows his speed and ability to battle the opposition. He reminds me of Samuel the way he battles through the tackles, hopefully he's better though. :lol:

MG42
08-05-2008, 12:40 PM
^did you get anymore info KD? Is he just here to keep fit?

boban
08-05-2008, 12:42 PM
Just got back and saw this guy
in full practice. He's Canadian and he was in as striker.
He's big and fast.KD.
The answer to our prayers.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-05-2008, 12:45 PM
Hmm, nice, thatll be cool if hes any good. Got an interesting history and hes young too...

DigzTFC!
08-05-2008, 12:45 PM
I think this video was meant to be for coaches and not really a highlight reel. The more I watched the video the more I started to like his play. He is perfect bench player for us. Absolutely perfect. He plays forward, left wing, and DM. He probably won't be a starter (except for when Robert needs to sit). I want him on this team.

andyc
08-05-2008, 12:54 PM
Ahh that's who he was... He was fast and strong, but didn't seem to have that great a touch or shot. Having said that he may not be fully match fit due to off season etc.

DigzTFC!
08-05-2008, 12:57 PM
If he gets signed, I think it will be the end of Harmse on this team.

king dave
08-05-2008, 01:10 PM
Shane asked Carver who he was, Carver responded "I don't know", smiling knowingly.
KD.

SilverSamurai
08-05-2008, 01:12 PM
But did you not forget that Mo doesn't like Canadians... :rolleyes:
Anyways I would like to see him here. Looks like he works hard, unlike Cunny...

SweetOwnGoal
08-05-2008, 01:18 PM
If he gets signed, I think it will be the end of Harmse on this team.

How does a domestic striker bump a domestic holding midfielder?

SweetOwnGoal
08-05-2008, 01:20 PM
But did you not forget that Mo doesn't like Canadians... :rolleyes:
Anyways I would like to see him here. Looks like he works hard, unlike Cunny...

No, Mo has shown no understanding of the value of Canadians. There is a difference.

H Bomb
08-05-2008, 01:23 PM
He's a big powerful guy who was making good runs all practice. Finishing wasn't stellar but it's tough to judge that. He looks like a physical freak and seems interesting. Took forever to find out who he was

MG42
08-05-2008, 01:24 PM
Do you guys think he was here on a tryout, or just keeping fit?

DigzTFC!
08-05-2008, 01:25 PM
SweetOwnGoal:

if you watch the highlights, the further you go into his career the more he becomes a central midfielder. He's not really a striker (from what I gathered). He's more a winger, attacking midfielder that is strong enough to play DM with attacking abilities.

Senior Roster Restrictions to 18 players will play a part as we have 4 first team central midfielders as is (Robinson, Edu, Harmse, Guevara). I guess the main difference is I don't see him as a forward. Probably because he's not much a goal scorer.

Have a read of the Bio and take a look at the highlights. Tell me what you think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBwMPu623lU

king dave
08-05-2008, 01:31 PM
If JC really didn't know who he was= fitness, probably for the Canadian National Team no doubt.
But if he was kidding = we desperately need a striker.
Carver joked all practice about needing someone who could score goals.
They looked 'not great' at finishing.
There was another guy who was new as well.
Small, Micheal Owenish. He played well.
KD.

Shakes McQueen
08-05-2008, 01:36 PM
If JC really didn't know who he was= fitness, probably for the Canadian National Team no doubt.
But if he was kidding = we desperately need a striker.
Carver joked all practice about needing someone who could score goals.
They looked 'not great' at finishing.
There was another guy who was new as well.
Small, Micheal Owenish. He played well.
KD.

Please tell me the back of his shirt had "Dickov" written on it...

- Scott

DigzTFC!
08-05-2008, 01:39 PM
Did anyone take pictures of the practice? And, I don't think Dave Simpson is on the CMNT radar so its either fitness for him to find a club or acclimitizing himself with his potential new one.

king dave
08-05-2008, 01:42 PM
Don't think it was him, this guy was younger.
Simpson and him stayed on the pitch after practice for about half an hour knocking the ball around so I suspect he is on the Canadian Nats. as well but not sure. HBomb has pics. Should be up soon I reckon.
KD.

oxygenatedbrain
08-05-2008, 01:45 PM
Doesn't seem to be listed at Kladno or Sparta, or Sparta reserves...wonder if he's over the post-concussion symptoms/car wreck injuries?

Whoops...FC Siad Most has (had) him...thanks to V's list...

DigzTFC!
08-05-2008, 01:57 PM
Don't think it was him, this guy was younger.
Simpson and him stayed on the pitch after practice for about half an hour knocking the ball around so I suspect he is on the Canadian Nats. as well but not sure. HBomb has pics. Should be up soon I reckon.
KD.

There's one guy that kind of fit the young CMNT, Michael Owenish description: Will Johnson

http://www.canadasoccer.com/images/media/johnson_action.jpg

I doubt it would be him though

As for Dave Simpson, he was most recently linked to a trial in Denmark with Viborg

H Bomb
08-05-2008, 01:59 PM
^^ Don't recognize these guys. I have photo's buit can't find the wire to plug my camera in. ..i'm workin on it

Ossington Mental Youth
08-05-2008, 02:12 PM
The plot thickens.
Will Johnson would be amazing.
I doubt it was him (please let me be wrong)

H Bomb
08-05-2008, 02:13 PM
wasn't will johnson. 100% not him..so don't get hopes up

Ossington Mental Youth
08-05-2008, 02:14 PM
HA
thanks
curious to see who it might be

Northern Soul
08-05-2008, 02:15 PM
Please tell me the back of his shirt had "Dickov" written on it...

- Scott

Dickov is not small and Michael Owen-ish.

H Bomb
08-05-2008, 02:18 PM
^^ Yeah none of the people were Dickov either...as none of them looked like him or hit anybody

bangersandmash
08-05-2008, 02:21 PM
does TFC's wall of secrecy drive any one else completely mental?

DigzTFC!
08-05-2008, 02:21 PM
^^ Yeah none of the people were Dickov either...as none of them looked like him or hit anybody

Can you give us a police report style description:

Skin tone, Height (relative to Simpson if you want), Hair cut, Hair color, Nationality (Canadian?), a player he most physically resembles (Owen?) and estimated age

DigzTFC!
08-05-2008, 02:23 PM
does TFC's wall of secrecy drive any one else completely mental?

They are not allowed to comment on players that are not under contract as per MLS rules. They can talk about a player, but not link them to TFC. Even though they've done a poor job in certain ways.

SweetOwnGoal
08-05-2008, 02:23 PM
Based on our needs and how he was played today, it was pretty clear that TFC was looking at him as a forward.

Some photos at U-sector:
http://z15.invisionfree.com/U_Sector/index.php?showtopic=7573&st=0

Shakes McQueen
08-05-2008, 02:24 PM
Dickov is not small and Michael Owen-ish.

I was joking...

-Scott

bangersandmash
08-05-2008, 02:25 PM
They are not allowed to comment on players that are not under contract as per MLS rules. They can talk about a player, but not link them to TFC. Even though they've done a poor job in certain ways.

Fair point. And, to be fair to TFC, Torontofc.ca is confirming that Dave Simpson practiced with the team.

S_D
08-05-2008, 02:29 PM
wasn't will johnson. 100% not him..so don't get hopes up

We don't want him anyways...at least not until next season. Chicago has his rights until the end of this year. There was mention of this in the Chicago BS boards when the McBride saga was starting up.

The way they held up the Barrett deal...they can piss off lol

DigzTFC!
08-05-2008, 02:33 PM
i think it maybe Keegan Ayre (#26)

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i70/tobiasvaughn/trialists1.jpg

http://tinypic.com/i40npx.jpg

I'll keep looking around our U23 and U-20 photos.

oxygenatedbrain
08-05-2008, 02:35 PM
Yeah, but if the Fire's claim on Johnson expires, is it possible that, as a returning CNMT player, MLS will subject him to allocation? Just to be fair??

Shaughno
08-05-2008, 02:37 PM
i think it maybe Keegan Ayre (#26)

http://tinypic.com/i40npx.jpg

I'll keep looking around our U23 and U-20 photos.

Looks like it... which leads me to believe it's more for the CMNT than TFC, but that's just my opinion.

DigzTFC!
08-05-2008, 02:40 PM
From U-Sector:

Actual conversation with Chris Cummins from today:

Riffraff: So, who are hose two guys out there?
Cummins: They're just two guys we're having a look at to see if we want to sign them.
Riffraff: Oh, but what are there names?
Cummins: (smiling) Oh, I'm not going to say. We'll tell you when we sign them. I think one kid's Canadian.
Riffraff: Is the other Dutch?
Cummins: (laughing) I'm not sure.
Riffraff: By chance are there any Scottish strikers in the stadium today?
Cummins: (laughing and walking away) Yeah - Mo.

Potential signings. Not for CMNT

king dave
08-05-2008, 02:42 PM
Keegs,
http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/nationals/profile.asp?playerid=136&sub=3

Could be?
KD.

Shaughno
08-05-2008, 02:44 PM
From that....

http://www.canadasoccer.com/images/headshots/Ayre_Keegan2008www.jpg
does not look like...

To me anyway... he looks much older on that CMNT page.

king dave
08-05-2008, 02:47 PM
Yeah, not the same dude I think.
And the search for the truth continues!
KD.

VoxPopuliCosmicum
08-05-2008, 02:48 PM
^Looks pretty similar to me. Where's that guy who was posting about facial recognition back in May?

jloome
08-05-2008, 02:52 PM
Simpson sounds like he's worth a shot. He was a good scorer as a kid, but sounds like he's hit the (fairly common) problem of outside pressures in Europe; move him back to an attacking role and put him on the reserves roster. Can't see the harm, and there's potential return.

andyc
08-05-2008, 02:55 PM
There was another guy I didn't recognize there along with Simpson..

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/picture.php?albumid=132&pictureid=668

Sorry about the pic quality...

jloome
08-05-2008, 02:56 PM
Simpson's the big black guy. The little guy actually does look a little like Will Johnston....or Keegan Ayre.

Anybody? Bueller?

S_D
08-05-2008, 02:59 PM
Yeah, but if the Fire's claim on Johnson expires, is it possible that, as a returning CNMT player, MLS will subject him to allocation? Just to be fair??

Yes. While allocation is meant for returning MLS and USMNT players they have a little caveat where they can apply allocation to anyone they deem fits the bill. Not sure if they would apply it to Will though as he isn't an important enough player. I bet though if say JDG came back to play as a non DP, allocation would be slapped on so fast it would make your head spin.

bangersandmash
08-05-2008, 02:59 PM
Is that Kilian Elkinson? (Wikipedia lists 36 as his squad number)

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
08-05-2008, 03:04 PM
jeeeezus....if this is all we can muster up....

jloome
08-05-2008, 03:08 PM
Short guy might be Ireland striker David Healy. Looks a little like him, but the face is a bit thin. Right heigth, hair cut and eyebrows.

God, we should be so lucky. He's probably going to end up moving down a couple of divisions to play for Leeds instead, as Fulham has no time for him.

Rawkus_420
08-05-2008, 03:13 PM
dunh dunh dunh!!!! whats going to happen??? Something is going to happen soon, we should start a pool and whoever gets it right wins something, I mean speculation is fun and all, but why not make it worth something?? I mean we're all going to guess and leave posts about who we think or would like to see, lets make a friendly competition about it.

profit89
08-05-2008, 03:16 PM
simpson... way better than cunny

DigzTFC!
08-05-2008, 03:17 PM
I thought I was wrong on the Keegan Ayre one. I was looking at another picture that looked more similar than the CMNT page. You guys are right. Its not him. Its also not Healy.

He kind of looks like he has latin blood in him. Spainish, Argy, Italian, Porty...or dark skinned dutchman.

Bluenose13
08-05-2008, 03:18 PM
Short guy might be Ireland striker David Healy. Looks a little like him, but the face is a bit thin. Right heigth, hair cut and eyebrows.

God, we should be so lucky. He's probably going to end up moving down a couple of divisions to play for Leeds instead, as Fulham has no time for him.It's not King David......We could only be so lucky :p

DigzTFC!
08-05-2008, 03:21 PM
Jloome the guy in your second pic is Kilian Elkinson. CMNT page doesn't have much canadian player photos. I have a feeling its one of our young guys that may have been cut recently.

king dave
08-05-2008, 03:24 PM
Oh yeah, no Brennan today.

?????
KD.

Benficachop20
08-05-2008, 03:24 PM
He looked like a pretty good player from wat i saw. His finishing was a bit off but he looks good on the ball, very strong guy aswell.

Corpand
08-05-2008, 03:29 PM
It cant be Kilian coz Kilian aint white

bangersandmash
08-05-2008, 03:30 PM
Damn, now we gotta involve the cops cuz whoever it is stole Kilian's shorts!

DigzTFC!
08-05-2008, 03:32 PM
It cant be Kilian coz Kilian aint white

The second picture. The mystery player is dark the other picture if a white guy with Simpson, which Kilian.

Anyways, the mystery player looks familiar which makes me think its CMNT youth

jloome
08-05-2008, 03:37 PM
Dude is FAMILIAR, though, just can't figure out from where. Maybe he just looks a little like COlin Farrell or something.

johnmolinaro
08-05-2008, 04:00 PM
the name of the other guy (not David Simpson) is Derek Gaudet.

He's with Canada's u-20 team.

Carver said they're considering him for their developmental roster.

John Molinaro
CBCSports.ca reporter

DigzTFC!
08-05-2008, 04:05 PM
http://webzoom.freewebs.com/jrhockeyfan90/August%2019/19AUG-16.jpg

Didn't they say no to him earlier? Anyways, I'm happy because he'll be the first Nova Scotian to make the team. How about signing Matt Britner too hahaha

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14576

MG42
08-05-2008, 04:07 PM
the name of the other guy (not David Simpson) is Derek Gaudet.

He's with Canada's u-20 team.

Carver said they're considering him for their developmental roster.

John Molinaro
CBCSports.ca reporter

Thanks for clearing that up John....so did Simpson sign?:)

oxygenatedbrain
08-05-2008, 04:12 PM
http://webzoom.freewebs.com/jrhockeyfan90/August%2019/19AUG-16.jpg

Didn't they say no to him earlier? Anyways, I'm happy because he'll be the first Nova Scotian to make the team. How about signing Matt Britner too hahaha

Why, yes...he paid for the open tryout back in the day...

Do you know where Britner is? Is he still hanging out in Mass? I noticed he seemed to be hanging around after his release, even made up the numbers for DCU reserves once against Revs...

Ossington Mental Youth
08-05-2008, 04:13 PM
Interesting.
Was hoping for someone bigger then a reserve player but i guess its something

DigzTFC!
08-05-2008, 04:17 PM
No idea what happened to Britner....I thought TFC would have signed him when the Revs released him.

Check out Dave Simpson as a DM (I think SweetOwnGoal is right about them wanting him as a striker though). Didn't realize how physical the Czech league was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NuapUmiHFk

ben_vw
08-05-2008, 04:27 PM
So, is he actually good? Or will he be another Collin Samuel...

billyfly
08-05-2008, 04:29 PM
I know we're taking about the "new" guys but I was at the open practice today and wrote on one of the white boards they were handing out to the kids: Carver and Mo - Where's our striker?"

Chad Barrett comes over to where I am in the East stands to sign autographs and I tell him, "Read my board". I then say to him he can sign it only if he thinks he's the answer.

He signed it. Here's hoping......

johnmolinaro
08-05-2008, 04:30 PM
Thanks for clearing that up John....so did Simpson sign?:)

Carver said they're taking at look at him, so we'll see. He looked good from what I saw.

Also, no news on the international striker they've been negotiating with.

On Sunday, Carver said the team was "quite close" to finalizing a deal.

Today when we asked him about it, he said, "I think you need to ask Mo that."

The gathered media members (me, Milson, Dobson and Morgan) could all tell he was pretty frustrated by it.

I asked to speak to Mo, as per Carver's suggestion, but he declined the request.

John

ben_vw
08-05-2008, 04:33 PM
Carver said they're taking at look at him, so we'll see. He looked good from what I saw.

Also, no news on the international striker they've been negotiating with.

On Sunday, Carver said the team was "quite close" to finalizing a deal.

Today when we asked him about it, he said, "I think you need to ask Mo that."

The gathered media members (me, Milson, Dobson and Morgan) could all tell he was pretty frustrated by it.

I asked to speak to Mo, as per Carver's suggestion, but he declined the request.

John

Is this "international striker" Paul Dickov or a new name?

johnmolinaro
08-05-2008, 04:41 PM
Is this "international striker" Paul Dickov or a new name?

he wouldn't say, although I'm hearing it's Dickov.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-05-2008, 04:44 PM
Ech, as said previously, for all this hassle Dickov is giving he'd better score some serious goals

Ossington Mental Youth
08-05-2008, 04:44 PM
PS
thanks tons for the insight John

ben_vw
08-05-2008, 04:46 PM
Ech, as said previously, for all this hassle Dickov is giving he'd better score some serious goals

Agreed. We're in desperate need of a goalscorer and Dickov's never really been one. Hopefully he can be in MLS.

DigzTFC!
08-05-2008, 04:49 PM
By the time anyone signed this window there will be a few months left in the season...and for a player that was aiming for a short term contract it seems like a bad idea to me. I wish they would focus on more long-term acquisitions.

I really like the thought of getting simpson. Him creating havoc trying to dribble around people and laying it off to Barrett to fire to home or one of our midfielders

king dave
08-05-2008, 04:53 PM
So, is he actually good? Or will he be another Collin Samuel...
He (Simpson) played aggressive and he is big and can move.
He looked like an attacking mid-fielder with some finishing talent but as it was not a game situation I will reserve comment.
Aggressive style of player though. Which would be good, yes?
KD.
But at this juncture, speculation.

ben_vw
08-05-2008, 04:55 PM
He (Simpson) played aggressive and he is big and can move.
He looked like an attacking mid-fielder with some finishing talent but as it was not a game situation I will reserve comment.
Aggressive style of player though. Which would be good, yes?
KD.
But at this juncture, speculation.

Yea, I guess it's hard to say without having seen any match action. To look at who it appears we are turning to for goalscoring (Dickov, Simpson) we still haven't set are sights on that big finisher...

TorontoBlades
08-05-2008, 04:55 PM
Just training with the team because he's out of contract. I wouldn't get swollen dicks just yet guys

Ossington Mental Youth
08-05-2008, 05:00 PM
Yea, I guess it's hard to say without having seen any match action. To look at who it appears we are turning to for goalscoring (Dickov, Simpson) we still haven't set are sights on that big finisher...

I dunno if thats because we cant find one or we have one coming.
All signs point the former (i hate to say that and have held back until now).

king dave
08-05-2008, 05:04 PM
Yes, agreed. Speculation.
But the short and simple is, we don't get a goal scorer like yesterday, we can kiss this season goodbye.
Pure and simple.
KD.

TorontoBlades
08-05-2008, 05:11 PM
yup squared ;)

Shaughno
08-05-2008, 05:12 PM
No idea what happened to Britner....I thought TFC would have signed him when the Revs released him.

Check out Dave Simpson as a DM (I think SweetOwnGoal is right about them wanting him as a striker though). Didn't realize how physical the Czech league was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NuapUmiHFk

I'm about a minute into this video and my first thoughts... he's too physical for this league. He's going to draw a ton of fouls simply because the ref quality (or lack thereof).

And after watching the whole thing, god damn he knows how to win a ball. He makes Robbo look like an amateur in that video.

S_D
08-05-2008, 05:50 PM
I'm about a minute into this video and my first thoughts... he's too physical for this league. He's going to draw a ton of fouls simply because the ref quality (or lack thereof).

And after watching the whole thing, god damn he knows how to win a ball. He makes Robbo look like an amateur in that video.

Wow does he ever know how to win the ball. And he can pass too. Reminds me of Joseph.

y'know just thinking off the top of my head.. he would be a great replacement for Edu if we could package Edu with perhaps a draft pick for a decent striker.

It would solve a couple of problems.

1) TFC is suffering because of the Olympics and NT call ups with players (Edu).
2) A guy like that would really take the pressure off of our defence.
3) He seems to be a hard worker which may light a fire under the ass of a few players.
4) :canada:

Not sure though if teams would want to pick up Edu and sacrifice a forward though, especially if the guy is away a lot. It just seems to me to be a waste of salary when the guy isn't playing here. As long as the player picked up isn't L.A.'s flopping fish I would be game.

Thoughts?

rocker
08-05-2008, 05:58 PM
admittedly, the guys in that video look smaller than MLS players. Simpson wouldn't be the only big guy on the field in MLS, which he was there.
looks like he has a decent soccer IQ from that one video.

DigzTFC!
08-05-2008, 06:34 PM
I think having him and Guevara in the middle doing some trickery and attacking defenses could really cause some problems. Even as a winger he looks good. I just donīt think he has the finish to be a great striker for us

Ossington Mental Youth
08-05-2008, 07:20 PM
I dont see Edu leaving anytime soon.
I suspect our midfield wont be changing anytime soon.
Id like to see him play up front and see what hes capable of.

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-05-2008, 07:33 PM
Sparta Prague and Kladno are two relatively big clubs, funny I've never heard of him before. I'd love it if he signed here, he's a Canadian so he deserves a run out, at least.

And speaking of U-20 players, it'd be nice if we could pry David Edgar away from Newcastle, we need a defender as it is...

mclaren
08-05-2008, 08:08 PM
Wow, these potential signings are making me excited! Forget about Kluivert or Huckerby! :)

kdzb
08-05-2008, 08:22 PM
He was 25 years old when he won his first cap with Canada's senior team on 30 January 2008 (a 1:0 win over Martinique
Why he hasn't been called since then for the CMNT?
Look like MO +Carver are just desperate to sign anybody.
fucking useless tools

ag futbol
08-05-2008, 08:28 PM
He was 25 years old when he won his first cap with Canada's senior team on 30 January 2008 (a 1:0 win over Martinique
fucking useless tools
Well, before we go too crazy. Keep in mind that:

1) He generally would fit in the positions were our best players play. I don't think not being able to win a spot off our mids is a huge problem. I don't really picture him as a striker, at all.
2) He was injured for an extended period of time. He had a massive head injury if i remember correctly.

I think if he were to show up most people would be impressed. I thought we should have been looking at him a long time ago.

denime
08-05-2008, 08:59 PM
No big signing until we get real grass,remember my words boys.
No big name will ever come to play on wannabe grass ;)

Benficachop20
08-05-2008, 09:06 PM
fucking useless tools

come on man, ur gonna use that to determine if he's good enough? The guy was easily one of the more impressive players today in the training session, and is a player that is capable to play in different positions. He looked much more comfortable on the ball then Edu has this season.

andyc
08-05-2008, 09:22 PM
come on man, ur gonna use that to determine if he's good enough? The guy was easily one of the more impressive players today in the training session, and is a player that is capable to play in different positions. He looked much more comfortable on the ball then Edu has this season.

I agree with the fact that he looked strong and fast but his shooting wasn't that impressive. Hopefully that will come back with some more training but we've suffered this disease too much...

Seen
08-06-2008, 12:08 AM
And speaking of U-20 players, it'd be nice if we could pry David Edgar away from Newcastle, we need a defender as it is...

Unfortunately he is a major part of their plans, considering he has started a couple preseason matches and was regularly the first substitute on D during the last third of last season. Keegan has already stated he will have an important role with the club, especially since he can play anywhere across the back. It would be nice though...

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-06-2008, 12:16 AM
I was reading an article a couple months ago where Dale Mitchell said that if Edgar could get regular first team football, he'd be in the national team for sure. At the time it wasn't looking like he'd ever get into the first team, but I hope you're right about him getting a look in this season. With Beye there at left back, though, it'll be difficult for him...

Keegan
08-06-2008, 12:40 PM
fucking useless tools

Do you realize how good the CMNT is? David Edgar has played in the premier league and scored for one of the biggest clubs in England vs. the biggest club in England and is yet to be called.

Daniel Imhof starts in the Bundesliga and scored a couple goals yet may not start for Canada.

Dave Simpson just isn't good enough for the CMNT, not even close actually and that cap wasn't even a real cap. That was a camp for MLS/USL/College players.

Earning a cap for the MNT is hard as hell. You need to be an MLS star or play regularly in a good european league.

Look at players who have been passed over for the CMNT includes Iain Hume just bought for 1.2 million pounds and our own captain Jim Brennan.

Saying that, Dave Simpson IS good enough for the MLS and TFC. Another name TFC should look at is Chris Williams who should be good enough for TFC.

reggie
08-06-2008, 12:53 PM
why not sign him,he has got to better then smith or rosenthal...

trane
08-06-2008, 05:21 PM
Seems like an interesting player. Fast, fairly strong on the ball, quick feet. Would be a treat to see how he fares up in the MLS as it seems most of his time has been spent in leagues at equal or worse than the MLS.

I have to agree, I would not mind giving him an opportunity. He has good size good movement. But I wonder why he has not played for a club in 2008.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-06-2008, 05:22 PM
I have to agree, I would not mind giving him an opportunity. He has good size good movement. But I wonder why he has not played for a club in 2008.

Prob not fit and the head injury thing

trane
08-06-2008, 05:23 PM
Do you realize how good the CMNT is? David Edgar has played in the premier league and scored for one of the biggest clubs in England vs. the biggest club in England and is yet to be called.

Daniel Imhof starts in the Bundesliga and scored a couple goals yet may not start for Canada.

Dave Simpson just isn't good enough for the CMNT, not even close actually and that cap wasn't even a real cap. That was a camp for MLS/USL/College players.

Earning a cap for the MNT is hard as hell. You need to be an MLS star or play regularly in a good european league.

Look at players who have been passed over for the CMNT includes Iain Hume just bought for 1.2 million pounds and our own captain Jim Brennan.

Saying that, Dave Simpson IS good enough for the MLS and TFC. Another name TFC should look at is Chris Williams who should be good enough for TFC.

I agree. But why the fuck are we letting Dale Mitchell coach them?

Ossington Mental Youth
08-06-2008, 05:26 PM
I agree. But why the fuck are we letting Dale Mitchell coach them?

CSA
always the bastard CSA

Stryker
08-06-2008, 11:28 PM
I firmly believe they`re gonna sign him.
Its a good time to do so with Edu being away. He could get some quality minites in and try to earn a contract for next year.

Roogsy
08-06-2008, 11:33 PM
I am glad a Canadian boy is getting signed...but this doesn't help reverse our skid by much.

ccopela
08-07-2008, 10:17 AM

Dave Simpson may be good enough for TFC but Chris Williams I don't think is good enough. He's playing for Charleston right now in the USL and from what I've heard he hasn't impressed too much

BuSaPuNk
08-07-2008, 10:24 AM
Yeah I think they just really need someone....anyone that can help out right now...with suspentions and players away for olyimpics....god Carver might have to play it keeps going like this...lol...

Ossington Mental Youth
08-08-2008, 12:22 AM
http://thestar.blogs.com/torontofc/2008/08/striker-surplus.html
apparently Simpson has underwhelmed... Sigh... the badnews keeps coming...

dantdot
08-08-2008, 12:00 PM
Dave Simpson wrote a post on Voyageurs to explain the situation, apparently it wasn't really a trial at all.
http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16734&whichpage=2 6th post down

rocker
08-08-2008, 12:06 PM
interesting comments from Simpson... so if he doesn't get signed now the Pro-Canada people can't say it was because Mo is "anti-Canadian".
of course in a year when someone writes a rant again they'll cite Simpson as an example....