PDA

View Full Version : Playoffs First Round - DCU @ TFC Saturday Oct 19 6pm - For the Time Is Now

OgtheDim
10-07-2019, 05:55 AM
Tonight at Noon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz1yYKOhur4

Have at It People

OgtheDim
10-07-2019, 06:50 AM
What disappoints me most about the game time is it messes with game day routines for the players and the fans to the point where the game itself will suffer almost as much as the atmosphere.

Initial B
10-07-2019, 07:05 AM
Why is the start time set for noon? It's not like it's late November.

OgtheDim
10-07-2019, 07:43 AM
It makes no sense as there are two games later in the afternoon at the same time, both of them on Fox. There is no US TV coverage that day beyond Univision. And no 7pm game.

If the time was set to please Univision, somebody at MLS needs to get fired.

If the time was set so it didn't conflict with the Leafs, somebody at MLSE needs to have a talking to.

whositwhatnow
10-07-2019, 07:52 AM
Stupid time, was excited now cant go. If this has to do with the leafs MLSE should just sell the team.

Oldtimer
10-07-2019, 07:57 AM
Why all the complaining? We unexpectedly have a home playoff match and people are whining. Someone has to have the earlier time and we have the most flexibility because the Argos are done, so there's no conflict with pointyball, which some other teams have.

No matter what time it is, someone will have a time conflict.

JT Red127
10-07-2019, 08:12 AM
Why all the complaining? We unexpectedly have a home playoff match and people are whining. Someone has to have the earlier time and we have the most flexibility because the Argos are done, so there's no conflict with pointyball, which some other teams have.

Its just a stupid time, legit complaint I think. Not a complaint about hosting a playoff game, thats amazing! I feel good, Vanney is great at preparing for playoff games. It'll be tough to break down DC but hopefully we have learnt a thing or two about that over the last few years.

OgtheDim
10-07-2019, 08:18 AM

Noon hour games are more likely to have conflicts then 7pm
Night time games are better atmosphere for both fans & players - TFC has shown this over the last 3 years
Night time playoff games SELL TFC to casuals
Noon games play havoc with player routines if players are not used to them - the games are inevitably worse played (talk about "they get up for them anyways" is not the point - these guys are finally tuned machines
There is no reason given to us WHY this decision has been made
The only potential conflict locally is a Leafs game - if our playoff game is secondary to a Leafs game in October, that's a BIG problem internally in MLSE
If MLSE didn't make this decision, then the only potential conflict is Univision not wanting to show a game at 7pm. - I for one would not be happy if our playoff game time was chosen based on the Spanish language TV network Univision having somethng other then MLS on at that time - do ya'll feel happy we got bumped for a LigaMx broadcast in the US?!?!?!

DinamoTFC
10-07-2019, 08:25 AM
OG hit the nail on the head.

ensco
10-07-2019, 08:30 AM
I think this was 100% about US television.

They are staying away from the NFL and the MLB league championship series (which will have games 6 and 7 going that weekend).

I think the reason for our game not being at 4pm or similar is the chance that the Nationals make it to the NLDS and are playing that day. That game would be at 4pm or 830pm. MLS just wanted to stay well clear of that scenario

Section_105
10-07-2019, 08:45 AM
Bring it on! Was watching the other games on my phone and couldn't believe that Cincy hung on like that. We once again owe Haggelund drinks forever. (I think he's a milk guy so that will be cheap). How all those games went the right way is amazing. I started figuring out plans for a DC trip at half time so that was an incredible outcome.

Moving a bunch of stuff to make the game but so be it.

cheers.

flambe
10-07-2019, 08:46 AM
Why all the complaining? We unexpectedly have a home playoff match and people are whining.

Reminds me of this...
https://youtu.be/nUBtKNzoKZ4?t=121

OgtheDim
10-07-2019, 09:04 AM
I think this was 100% about US television.

They are staying away from the NFL and the MLB league championship series (which will have games 6 and 7 going that weekend).

I think the reason for our game not being at 4pm or similar is the chance that the Nationals make it to the NLDS and are playing that day. That game would be at 4pm or 830pm. MLS just wanted to stay well clear of that scenario

Fox has 2 games at 3:30pm that day. We were never going to be on Fox.

If this is about US TV, its about Univision not wanting a 7pm game. If this is about the Leafs.....we play up against them all the time.

ensco
10-07-2019, 09:31 AM
^ 7pm Saturday is not about Univision, cmon. It has a real chance of being up against the Nationals. That is pretty obviously the reason.

Oldtimer
10-07-2019, 09:38 AM
Reminds me of this...
https://youtu.be/nUBtKNzoKZ4?t=121

well played

Canary10
10-07-2019, 09:38 AM
Game time is stupid, but with two kids, one three months old, it works for me. At least I'll be able to go!

Bushmancan
10-07-2019, 09:45 AM
As long as Shoeless starts serving Pints at 10am, I am good.

COYRs

:drinking::scarf:

SuperTCP
10-07-2019, 10:44 AM
Maybe Joe's can set up a nice Brunch set menu or buffet for us?

just an idea

Red4ever
10-07-2019, 11:01 AM
As long as Shoeless starts serving Pints at 10am, I am good.

COYRs

:drinking::scarf:

9 AM - Long overdue.

https://www.narcity.com/news/ca/on/ontario-bars-can-now-serve-alcohol-at-900-am-every-day

Red CB Toronto
10-07-2019, 12:06 PM
The Falcons and Seahawks are both playing at home on the Sunday and the soccer game had to be as early as possible so the field could then be prepared for their respective NFL game the next day. There is a lot of day before prep that goes also including the broadcast setup etc.

Also from a TSN perspective as the Canadian rightsholder they already had CFL commitments for 4 pm and 7 pm on the Saturday. Lots of moving parts here.

It makes no sense as there are two games later in the afternoon at the same time, both of them on Fox. There is no US TV coverage that day beyond Univision. And no 7pm game.

If the time was set to please Univision, somebody at MLS needs to get fired.

If the time was set so it didn't conflict with the Leafs, somebody at MLSE needs to have a talking to.

Red4ever
10-07-2019, 12:09 PM
The Falcons and Seahawks are both playing at home on the Sunday and the soccer game had to be as early as possible so the field could then be prepared for their respective NFL game the next day. There is a lot of day before prep that goes also including the broadcast setup etc.

Also from a TSN perspective as the Canadian rightsholder they already had CFL commitments for 4 pm and 7 pm on the Saturday. Lots of moving parts here.

This.

Also, we got the second best game time.

Better than 7pm.
Way better than Sunday

Lennon
10-07-2019, 12:45 PM
12pm? Reminds me of that crucial Champions League game we played in front of 200 people.

OgtheDim
10-07-2019, 01:03 PM
This.

Also, we got the second best game time.

Better than 7pm.
Way better than Sunday

Wait...you think 12 pm is preferrable to 7pm?

As for TSN - they have had CFL games on during our matches since July.

Nah, we got shafted for something & I think its the Univision contract (which is actually big for MLS -$15 million).

Not sold on it being DC baseball related to because right now DCU has no local TV rights holder - they were streaming through a company that was so bad, DCU tore up the contract last week.

The stadium is going to be 2/3 full. Its a shame. Going to move on but people who think its nothing are not thinking this through.

MLSE rolled over for somebody in MLS.

C.Ronaldo
10-07-2019, 01:06 PM
What disappoints me most about the game time is it messes with game day routines for the players and the fans to the point where the game itself will suffer almost as much as the atmosphere.

I actually have to wake up early to make this game

C.Ronaldo
10-07-2019, 01:11 PM
^ 7pm Saturday is not about Univision, cmon. It has a real chance of being up against the Nationals. That is pretty obviously the reason.

baseball playoffs are on?

woah, im living under a rock

C.Ronaldo
10-07-2019, 01:12 PM
Game time is stupid, but with two kids, one three months old, it works for me. At least I'll be able to go!

God bless, i cant my kids out the door (dressed and fed) on the weekend until around 11

Red CB Toronto
10-07-2019, 01:12 PM
I can see TSN not wanting to split up their viewership with a TFC playoff game.

Nah, we got shafted for something & I think its the Univision contract (which is actually big for MLS -$15 million).

Not sold on it being DC baseball related to because right now DCU has no local TV rights holder - they were streaming through a company that was so bad, DCU tore up the contract last week.

The stadium is going to be 2/3 full. Its a shame. Going to move on but people who think its nothing are not thinking this through.

C.Ronaldo
10-07-2019, 01:13 PM

How can a team with that pedigree not have a good tv/internet deal by now, with rooney! :facepalm:

Oldtimer
10-07-2019, 01:15 PM

A significant portion of the fan base prefer evening games in summer, and day games in spring and fall.

pfk
10-07-2019, 01:17 PM
The Leafs play Boston at Scotiabank at 7pm on October 19.

The Conference Semis against NYCFC is Wednesday Oct 23 at 7pm. (the 4th/5th winner plays NYCFC) At least we know why the Round 1 game is on Saturday and not Sunday.

OgtheDim
10-07-2019, 01:17 PM
I can see TSN not wanting to split up their viewership with a TFC playoff game.

Noon time kills more TV then a split.

Nah, I'm pretty sure this is MLS head office, who have a contract to provide 2 playoff games to Univision this round, saying "OK, Fox & ESPN have you left with these 2 - when do you want em?"

Red CB Toronto
10-07-2019, 01:19 PM
A noon game can benefit you, it gives people their afternoon and evening, lets them bring the kids down and enjoy it as family. Who would not enjoy a 12 noon match. Go down for a nice brunch with the girlfriend and bring her to the match. A nice little mid day date. If someone wants to go they will. The time is only an excuse for people if they want an out, a reason not to go.

If the kids have to miss their Saturday morning swim class or a play date, it is what it is. No excuses, all hands on deck.

Red4ever
10-07-2019, 01:47 PM
The Leafs play Boston at Scotiabank at 7pm on October 19.

The Conference Semis against NYCFC is Wednesday Oct 23 at 7pm. (the 4th/5th winner plays NYCFC) At least we know why the Round 1 game is on Saturday and not Sunday.

Two excellent points. Better to not go up against the Leafs.

A noon game can benefit you, it gives people their afternoon and evening, lets them bring the kids down and enjoy it as family.

I'm normally okay with 7pm games but I am so sick of them lately. We got screwed with our lack of day games this year.

In the first 5 years you could pair up some morning EPL with a 1pm kickoff. If our schedule in 2020 has as many as this year, I'll be selling my tickets off in bulk.

OgtheDim
10-07-2019, 02:01 PM
Jozy goes for an MRI today, supposedly. No word from the USMNT camp about a replacement yet.

Red CB Toronto
10-07-2019, 02:23 PM
Jozy goes for an MRI today, supposedly. No word from the USMNT camp about a replacement yet.

I know Miles Robinson replaced Walker Zimmerman but has Jozy officially withdrawn or if a negative result comes back he could still join the USMNT in DC.

TFC1986
10-07-2019, 04:54 PM
I'm loving the 12pm noon time over 7pm.
I even more prefer the time and day over anytime Sunday.
Yes TSN does have CFL commitments so that may have played a part a little in terms of broadcasting. However there is 5 TSN channels so sort of doubt it as well.
I can guarantee you a leafs game has nothing to do with our game time. Can't think why MLS would care about NHL in terms of ratings and viewers. One season is ending and another is starting.

Cuchulain
10-07-2019, 07:01 PM
If the kids have to miss their Saturday morning swim class or a play date, it is what it is. No excuses, all hands on deck.[/QUOTE]

I love this. From a no nonsense Red Patch Boy.

Areathrasher
10-07-2019, 08:57 PM
Kick off switched to 6PM. KJ confirming it on twitter

Lennon
10-07-2019, 09:01 PM
Great news. Can't be playing a playoff game during the day, c'mon.

NK Toronto
10-07-2019, 09:01 PM
The MLS web site shows the game at 6:00 PM.

Red CB Toronto
10-07-2019, 09:10 PM

The Atlanta game was also pushed up to 1 pm after it was determined the Falcons needed the field back earlier than initially planned for the field makeover, network tv setup etc.

Auzzy
10-07-2019, 09:15 PM

Nice! Seems we weren't the only ones who thought that noon was a dumb idea.

Oldtimer
10-07-2019, 09:42 PM
The noon time was a placeholder subject to change (as I said in the Columbus thread).

Red CB Toronto
10-07-2019, 09:47 PM
The noon time was a placeholder subject to change (as I said in the Columbus thread).

If it was a placeholder TFC would have never tweeted it out, the noon kickoff, all that does cause some confusion for the casual spectator. The last thing anyone wants to is to be changing the times. Atlanta had to be pushed up doing to the situation with NFL having priority.

Auzzy
10-07-2019, 10:24 PM

If it was a placeholder TFC would have never tweeted it out, the noon kickoff, all that does cause some confusion for the casual spectator. The last thing anyone wants to is to be changing the times. Atlanta had to be pushed up doing to the situation with NFL having priority.

Maybe it was a placeholder initially, but TFC tweeted noon as a firm time:

https://twitter.com/TorontoFC/status/1181049424207925248

And have now posted 6pm as a joint time change announcement by TFC & DCU:

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2019/10/07/toronto-fc-dc-united-announce-time-change-2019-mls-cup-playoffs-match

GerMc
10-07-2019, 10:25 PM
FiveThirtyEight.com has us with a 75% chance to win....

Toronto FC (https://www.mlssoccer.com/meta/club/toronto-fc) are given the edge over D.C. United (https://www.mlssoccer.com/meta/club/d.c.-united) with a 75% likelihood to get to the next round as TFC return to the playoffs for the first time since winning MLS Cup in 2017.

ensco
10-08-2019, 07:16 AM
As long as Jozy is not really hurt...

The two best teams in the east are TFC and NYRB, and they will meet for the Conference championship on October 30 at BMO.

NYRB are literally the only team in the east I am not confident we would beat.

pfk
10-08-2019, 08:05 AM
As long as Jozy is not really hurt...

The two best teams in the east are TFC and NYRB, and they will meet for the Conference championship on October 30 at BMO.

NYRB are literally the only team in the east I am not confident we would beat.

I hope he's not hurt either. At least there are two weeks for him to heal if it's a minor injury.

I think we have a chance to take the East and face LAFC/Seattle in the final, if all the starters are healthy. First, we have to make sure Rooney plays his last MLS game.

Joe Kool
10-08-2019, 08:32 AM
FiveThirtyEight.com has us with a 75% chance to win....

Toronto FC (https://www.mlssoccer.com/meta/club/toronto-fc) are given the edge over D.C. United (https://www.mlssoccer.com/meta/club/d.c.-united) with a 75% likelihood to get to the next round as TFC return to the playoffs for the first time since winning MLS Cup in 2017.

Reading some comments from DC fans it looks like a bunch of them are giving us the same odds and don't have a ton of confidence in their team right now. We also had good odds in Canadian Championship this year over Montreal right? As long as the players are not reading this kind of thing much. TFC need to come out with that killer instinct and energy in this game. DC is already saying they will give possession and try to counter like they did last time at BMO. Hopefully we get a goal early to open up the game a bit. They can't afford to bunker in a one off game if they go down a goal.

TFC/Everton
10-08-2019, 08:42 AM
Any word on Jozy Altidore? I have a bad feeling about this injury.

Oldtimer
10-08-2019, 08:45 AM
Reading some comments from DC fans it looks like a bunch of them are giving us the same odds and don't have a ton of confidence in their team right now. We also had good odds in Canadian Championship this year over Montreal right? As long as the players are not reading this kind of thing much. TFC need to come out with that killer instinct and energy in this game. DC is already saying they will give possession and try to counter like they did last time at BMO. Hopefully we get a goal early to open up the game a bit. They can't afford to bunker in a one off game if they go down a goal.

Classic trap game. Hopefully TFC pulls through this one.

Mike_S
10-08-2019, 09:07 AM
A significant portion of the fan base prefer evening games in summer, and day games in spring and fall.

True, but a significant portion of the fan base also consider 12 pm as "early morning". :D

Oldtimer
10-08-2019, 09:50 AM
Tonight at Noon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz1yYKOhur4

I've changed the header of this thread to read "6PM" per the revised schedule, but now the song doesn't work. :cheers:

Derko
10-08-2019, 10:13 AM
I have a bloody wedding, noon I could have watched it but 6:00pm, just won't do, I was hoping for a Sunday game, :facepalm:

Laiping
10-08-2019, 10:34 AM
I'm just happy to have a home game. :scarf:

C.Ronaldo
10-08-2019, 10:38 AM
True, but a significant portion of the fan base also consider 12 pm as "early morning". :D

Yuuppppp!

noxx98
10-08-2019, 10:40 AM
Any word on Jozy Altidore? I have a bad feeling about this injury.
He posted an Instagram story this morning from a Toronto coffee shop, so it doesn't seem he's reported to USMNT camp in DC yet.

Joe Kool
10-08-2019, 10:43 AM
I have a bloody wedding, noon I could have watched it but 6:00pm, just won't do, I was hoping for a Sunday game, :facepalm:

They didn't reschedule the wedding when they heard we had a playoff home game? The nerve of some people.

James17930
10-08-2019, 11:36 AM
Looks like I'll be getting up at six instead of staying up til two.

Guess that's better, actually.

Chevy
10-08-2019, 12:52 PM

As long as it's not your wedding, you can make it work.

Hell, even if it was your wedding.....

Joe Kool
10-08-2019, 01:37 PM
Tickets should be charged to your account today.

Presale went up for members - prices were same as we paid for our own seats. Limited of course but $68 for 221 is a fair price.

Yeah I had a look out of curiosity and prices were decent I think for a playoff game. Good selection too I thought.

michaeltfc91
10-08-2019, 01:44 PM

exact same situation for me. I am thinking of running to the nearest bar catching the second half and then going back to the wedding

OgtheDim
10-08-2019, 01:53 PM
FWIW...Jozy out of USMNT camp

https://twitter.com/SoccerInsider/status/1181641760159739904

MightyDM
10-08-2019, 02:38 PM

Man up. You can miss two hours of it.

stevep
10-08-2019, 03:02 PM
looks like, west sold out, lower east sold out, north south sold out
half if not more available on upper east

seems to be a problem selling those seats
this is what is keeping attendance around 25k for most games

all the upper rows in east all sold, ticket prices lower.
the lower rows lots of empty seats

leafsman
10-08-2019, 03:03 PM
Hate the 6pm change, afternoon was perfect watch TFC win and then go home and watch the leafs game. Afternoon games are now rare, miss those games. 3pm would have been ideal.

MightyDM
10-08-2019, 06:31 PM
Hate the 6pm change, afternoon was perfect watch TFC win and then go home and watch the leafs game. Afternoon games are now rare, miss those games. 3pm would have been ideal.

6 way better than 12. 3 is proper and the best time for soccer. Loved when we were almost always 3

OgtheDim
10-08-2019, 06:41 PM
I think they charge for the 3 possible playoff matches even though the next one is away. Every penny of interest counts.

Email from the team specifically said they wouldn't do that.

DinamoTFC
10-08-2019, 09:02 PM
Evening games are always the best. Always brings out the best atmosphere and looks the best in person and on tv.
Not to mention the players stated they love it too.

OgtheDim
10-09-2019, 11:37 AM
Somebody aught to do a

"We stan Rebekah Vardy"

2 stick

613reppingTFC
10-09-2019, 01:18 PM
Got my tickets. Can't wait, it's going to be a long 10 days. COYRs!!!

stevep
10-09-2019, 03:19 PM
Got my tickets. Can't wait, it's going to be a long 10 days. COYRs!!!

Let's win this then off to Queens NY

Auzzy
10-09-2019, 05:15 PM
Somebody aught to do a

"We stan Rebekah Vardy"

2 stick

LOL. I had been staying off the internets, had to look that up. Gold!

Red CB Toronto
10-09-2019, 05:17 PM
LOL. I had been staying off the internets, had to look that up. Gold!

I find it an oxymoron that someone can claim someone leaked something they posted on social media.

flatpicker
10-09-2019, 07:35 PM
I'm seeing a charge for $700 for 4 tix in 112. Can anyone else verify they are paying $175 per ticket in the south end?

Make sure what you are seeing is not the "Total Purchase" amount. Because my two southend seats have a total purchase invoice of $350, which freaked me out until I realized they really only took $100 of that total from my visa. The rest would be charged if we host semi-final and championship.

Click on "View Invoice Details" to see the per-game breakdown.

Lil'John
10-09-2019, 07:47 PM
I don't want to get ahead of myself...but has soccer ever been played aty Citifield before?
I saw us play at Yankee Stadium last year, and the move of the potential NYCFC game to Citifield is worth the trip...
However we have to beat DC. Is there some way to get Mullens on the field, as we look more likely to score with a real centre forward on the field?

stevep
10-09-2019, 10:16 PM
only around 1000 seats left for sale, 90% of them are in the last two rows 200's east side

looks like it is gonna be a great crowd

OgtheDim
10-09-2019, 10:34 PM
I don't want to get ahead of myself...but has soccer ever been played aty Citifield before?

Once last season. Apparently its better sight lines, uses less of the infield but they still have to use the same dimensions as Yankee stadium.

Going to take a bit of work to get there. DCU bunker balls even at home. They are going to sit deep and counter up the middle. They have no pace. We will have to move the ball quickly and take some shots from distance. If we can score in the first 20 minutes, the game might open up a bit. But until then, expect a lot of passing the ball around.

Red CB Toronto
10-10-2019, 12:51 AM
The pitch at Citi goes across the outfield. I think if you are in the seats that would in out in left field the view would be good but otherwise it still is a lot seats with quite the distance from the field. The thing when ever you watch a match in a baseball stadium are some of the weird angles that some have to watch from.

https://cdn.newsday.com/polopoly_fs/1.3054191.1311739147!/httpImage/image.JPG_gen/derivatives/landscape_768/image.JPG

https://imagesvc.timeincapp.com/v3/mm/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn-s3.si.com%2Fs3fs-public%2Fstyles%2Fmarquee_large_2x%2Fpublic%2F2015 %2F03%2F11%2Fnycfc-yankee-stadium-field-mark-teixeira.jpg%3Fitok%3DIWxCoM0a&w=1000&q=70

Once last season. Apparently its better sight lines, uses less of the infield but they still have to use the same dimensions as Yankee stadium.

Going to take a bit of work to get there. DCU bunker balls even at home. They are going to sit deep and counter up the middle. They have no pace. We will have to move the ball quickly and take some shots from distance. If we can score in the first 20 minutes, the game might open up a bit. But until then, expect a lot of passing the ball around.

ManUtd4ever
10-10-2019, 09:20 AM
Cautiously optimistic about this one, but I would be more confident if Jozy was available. He's our playoff warrior.

CBTFC
10-10-2019, 09:57 AM
Cautiously optimistic about this one, but I would be more confident if Jozy was available. He's our playoff warrior.

Are 100% certain he won't be available? The game is 9 days away.

Ultra & Proud
10-10-2019, 10:10 AM
I think we'll be seeing him.

ManUtd4ever
10-10-2019, 10:10 AM

Not confirmed yet. I'm hoping he'll be available off the bench at the very least.

Section_105
10-10-2019, 10:26 AM
Kristian Jack interviewed him and he seems upbeat which is good as I think he thinks he'll be back for it. #beastmode

Oldtimer
10-10-2019, 10:58 AM
KJ interviewed Jozy, he's expecting to play.

pfk
10-10-2019, 11:37 AM
The pitch at Citi goes across the outfield. I think if you are in the seats that would in out in left field the view would be good but otherwise it still is a lot seats with quite the distance from the field. The thing when ever you watch a match in a baseball stadium are some of the weird angles that some have to watch from.

I went to the regular season NYCFC/TFC game last year at Yankee stadium. The supporters are in the second deck up from the 1st base dugout. Indeed, the seats are far away from the action on the field but are excellent for a Yankee game.

I imagine the dimensions of the CitiField pitch are pretty similar to Yankee Stadium.

Brooker
10-12-2019, 01:13 AM

Andrea Lombardo as backup.

andyc
10-15-2019, 07:54 PM
Is anyone watching the Canada game at BMO tonight? BMO turf is wrecked on the West side in both halves... Kinda looks like the sideline for Argos. Not a good look or surface to play on...

Section_105
10-16-2019, 09:44 AM
Is anyone watching the Canada game at BMO tonight? BMO turf is wrecked on the West side in both halves... Kinda looks like the sideline for Argos. Not a good look or surface to play on...

I was there and that didn't stand out to me. will look on the video later.

but

Osorio and Layrea played out of their skulls. what great games for both. Fraser started to come on as he got into the game more while being subbed in in the 5th minute for MAK. Bradley was great for the US. without him we would have had 5 or 6 so it makes me laugh when I see USMNT social media going off on him. idiots.

Hopefully all are revved up for Saturday (though bradley with a different type of energy)

OgtheDim
10-16-2019, 12:55 PM
Yeah, I didn't notice the turf but I was in 116.

Fraser played really well - but he does that when he doesn't have to be the man in the middle.

Oldtimer
10-16-2019, 01:04 PM
Jozy may play part of the game. Disappointed, could be one and done.

https://mobile.twitter.com/KristianJack/status/1184524349207990273

stevep
10-16-2019, 01:20 PM

love the comment by the character named Dinger, I laughed when i read that

I assume all the betting houses have this information you shared with us.
the betting odds ie probability of win did not change at all from yesterday
still around 77% chance TFC moves on to NYCFC

Ultra & Proud
10-16-2019, 01:37 PM

For United yes. One and done.

This is the same United who couldn't drop one on 9 man Cinci.

andyc
10-16-2019, 04:45 PM
Yeah, I didn't notice the turf but I was in 116.

This is a capture from the replay. Not a great view but these lines were on the North and South side of the field... Hopefully it's still warm enough to recover.

OgtheDim
10-16-2019, 05:11 PM
https://twitter.com/MLS/status/936086571929034754

Its the playoffs - Jozy being not injured is gravy.

James17930
10-16-2019, 06:26 PM

This is a capture from the replay. Not a great view but these lines were on the North and South side of the field... Hopefully it's still warm enough to recover.

That's so annoying to see. I guess the hybrid isn't as indestructible as it seemed in the summer. That being said, it still seemed to play okay.

Auzzy
10-16-2019, 11:28 PM

That's so annoying to see. I guess the hybrid isn't as indestructible as it seemed in the summer. That being said, it still seemed to play okay.

I saw some close-ups on the full screen during the Canada - US game. It looked like the turf was still almost perfectly level in that area. The colour changed a bit due to the wear. I don't think it affects the game at all.

I already saw this wear pattern at the last home game. Again I didn't notice anything affecting the play in that area. But there's no time for it to improve much by the playoff game.

Holy crap is the game vs. DC already this Saturday, in 2 days??? I'm confused, I thought it wouldn't be until next week. Woohoo!

Section_105
10-17-2019, 10:01 AM
Getting so excited for this game. hoping my voice recovers in time from the thrashing I gave it on Tuesday night.

stevep
10-17-2019, 11:17 AM
Getting so excited for this game. hoping my voice recovers in time from the thrashing I gave it on Tuesday night.

TFC TFC. Can't wait till Saturday

613reppingTFC
10-17-2019, 11:43 AM
I'm super pumped! can't wait to get down there and feel the atmosphere. I've never come from liberty village before, i assume there will be a march happening...

pfk
10-17-2019, 01:05 PM
I'm super pumped! can't wait to get down there and feel the atmosphere. I've never come from liberty village before, i assume there will be a march happening...

Rally starts at Brazen Head at 4pm.

East Liberty - Liberty - Atlantic Ave - GO Tunnel - to the Stadium.

MightyDM
10-17-2019, 08:49 PM

Come to shoeless Joes! Best pre match experience and our home pub Dufferin and King.

denime
10-18-2019, 06:11 AM

For pre game atmosphere Definitely Joe's

Come to shoeless Joes! Best pre match experience and our home pub Dufferin and King.

:drinking::drinking:

ensco
10-18-2019, 10:39 AM
Rooney sounds like he has one and a half feet out the door

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/10/17/wayne-rooney-approaches-end-his-mls-stint-with-positive-memories-one-regret/

YYZ_Fan
10-18-2019, 01:29 PM
Big Spain in the house tomorrow!
https://www.narcity.com/sports/ca/on/toronto/marc-gasol-will-be-attending-a-pre-game-toronto-fc-playoff-rally-this-weekend

DinamoTFC
10-18-2019, 01:49 PM
Just a reminder for those who haven't seen it posted yet on social media platforms.

Be in your supporter seats before the anthems start!!!

The south will be participating in a pretty cool TIFO display.:scarf:

stevep
10-18-2019, 04:00 PM
https://twitter.com/Beezersun/status/1185208918890422273?s=20

OgtheDim
10-18-2019, 07:46 PM
Game starts RIGHT AT 6

So no sauntering in 10 minutes afterwards hoping to get a beer before the anthems

OgtheDim
10-18-2019, 08:04 PM
Oh and be ready for the biggest park the bus at BMO since Seattle in 2016.

SoccMan2
10-18-2019, 08:22 PM
How is this game not a sell out? One game knockout on a weekend and tickets still available? Also hardly any buzz in the city for this game very strange!

OgtheDim
10-19-2019, 06:24 AM
Its Game Day in Toronto

A cup match

Probably our only playoff home game

Probably our last game to see the Reds

No matter what the outcome, no matter how frustrating things will be,

No matter how silly somebody does something to give them a chance

No matter the flubbed passes or shots

A cup match

We went a year without one & I missed it

There will be saves that we clap for

There will be tackles that we will cheer

There will be dribbles we all go ooooo at

There will be passes that will get people out of their seats

There will be chances that we wish had been taken but smile when we say that

Soccer support isn't always about the result

Heck, only 1 team wins a year - if we only came for the winning, all of us...every single last one of us...would have left long ago

Tonight is about being there...the boys on the field....on our pitch...under the lights..building those memories good or bad....being there with each other....with the casuals...with the regulars...with the newbies.....and with that team

Cause its a playoff home game and we who have been with this team since whenever or with this team since Seba or with this team since Defoe or with this team since March 2019.....we know how precious this is....just to be there. At home, in our stadium, in a one off game.

The game may be glorious, or it may be deflating.....we aren't there just for glory.

But tonight - tonight - this is OUR HOUSE

:scarf:
:flare::drum::megaphone:

:drinking::facepalm::drunk::hurray::smilewinkgrin: :nono::rolleyes5::willy_nilly::banghead:

:scarf:

See you all there tonight

leafsman
10-19-2019, 08:03 AM
I assume there is extra time if tied? not straight to pk like concacaf/canada bs

flatpicker
10-19-2019, 08:06 AM
I assume there is extra time if tied? not straight to pk like concacaf/canada bs

I hope so. Penalties are the worst (especially for this team!)

Cas87
10-19-2019, 08:08 AM

Yup, 30 minutes then PKs. Away goals rule is thrown out as well.

DavemTFC
10-19-2019, 10:18 AM
Yup, 30 minutes then PKs. Away goals rule is thrown out as well.
That's too bad, I was hoping our away goal in DC would count for something ;)

DavemTFC
10-19-2019, 10:25 AM
Based on Vanney's last few line-ups I think Laryea is still second choice at fullback. Gonna be fun to see the reaction when that happens and Fraser is left off the 18 again (for the record I think both deserve better)

Gonna also be interesting to see if, assuming Jozy can't start, we play Poz as a false 9 or start Mullins and stash Poz on the wing

DinamoTFC
10-19-2019, 11:06 AM
Just a reminder for those who haven't seen it posted yet on social media platforms.

Be in your supporter seats before the anthems start!!!

The south will be participating in a pretty cool TIFO display.:scarf:

In addition most groups are starting their marches around 430 and meeting together at liberty 445.

FootBallAZ
10-19-2019, 01:45 PM
Is it 4 or 430 ?

Let's get it!

Mikmacdo
10-19-2019, 01:48 PM
Im thinking the lineup will be

Westburg
Auro Omar mavinga morrow
Delgado bradley osorio
Endoh pozuelo benezet

Red Adder
10-19-2019, 03:42 PM
Come on you Reds! Great day for a game!

daner90
10-19-2019, 03:44 PM
Lets goooooooo

OgtheDim
10-19-2019, 04:13 PM
Gonzalez out. Hamstring. Altidore not in the 18. We are now the underdog.

notthesun
10-19-2019, 04:17 PM
Wow we're actually screwed

FootBallAZ
10-19-2019, 04:17 PM
Wtf no Omar lol

FootBallAZ
10-19-2019, 04:20 PM
Moor over Ciman , will they still park the bus

Bushmancan
10-19-2019, 04:28 PM
Gonzalez out. Hamstring. Altidore not in the 18. We are now the underdog.

Holy crap!!! We need to be loooouuud! Any details on when OG got injured.

COYRs

portu
10-19-2019, 04:28 PM
I don't see us winning this match with this line-up.

The fact that Pozuelo is playing as a 9 is just further evidence of how badly we need to either sell and replace Altidore, or at least find a guy who can start in his place.

Mark TFC
10-19-2019, 04:31 PM
If anyone happens to find a decent stream of the match, please post the link here. Much appreciated!!! Come on TFC!!!

daner90
10-19-2019, 04:38 PM
Uh oh lol

OgtheDim
10-19-2019, 04:39 PM
Rumour it's Benezet in the false 9.

benito
10-19-2019, 04:42 PM
Omar has transformed the defence since he arrived. That’s a big loss.

stevep
10-19-2019, 04:48 PM

Surprisingly our winning probability only dropped 3%

Was 77% now 74%

DavemTFC
10-19-2019, 04:55 PM
Why Ciman over Moor? Have he and Mavinga even played together since the game in Panama?

Other than that this line-up is exactly as I expected. The good news is DC are a really bad attacking side but against what will probably be a pretty disorganized backline (and with Rooney on their team) that might not matter

James17930
10-19-2019, 04:58 PM
Here's a stream, but it looks like Dallas and Seattle might be going to extra time, so I might have to post another one:

http://cdn.livetv219.me/webplayer.php?t=ifr&c=1257948&lang=en&eid=856439&lid=1257948&ci=64&si=1

Oldtimer
10-19-2019, 04:59 PM

Bigger loss than Jozy.

James17930
10-19-2019, 05:01 PM
Yes, these absences hurt, but we can still do this.

James17930
10-19-2019, 05:12 PM
New stream:

http://elixx.me/porto.html

Can't find an English one yet. I'll post it when I find it.

James17930
10-19-2019, 05:20 PM
Here's English:

http://liveonsat.xyz/1/30.html

portu
10-19-2019, 05:24 PM
God this is some shitty football.

Initial B
10-19-2019, 05:28 PM
I think we're boned. People are playing out of position. I expect a mistake in communication will cost us a goal at some point. If it goes to penalties, we lose. Don't see anyone scoring. This has been a sucky start to the evening.

James17930
10-19-2019, 05:32 PM
I can see the half finishing 0-0, and then it'll be up to Vanney's tactics and our subs in the 2nd.

portu
10-19-2019, 05:44 PM
Bill Hamid what a flub. 1 nil!!!!

James17930
10-19-2019, 05:44 PM
Fucking yes.

portu
10-19-2019, 05:49 PM
This pitch is so slippery it's hazardous. Someone could get really injured.

James17930
10-19-2019, 05:54 PM
This pitch is so slippery it's hazardous. Someone could get really injured.

Maybe they watered it too much?

FootBallAZ
10-19-2019, 06:08 PM
Lol they just watered it for 5 m right now

I don't get this lawn care ever since the new hybrid install

OgtheDim
10-19-2019, 06:10 PM
Not noticing that at the stadium. DC has no pace. Both teams giving up the ball in the midfield. DCUs press was good then they just stopped trying. Going to depend on the defence.

rydermike
10-19-2019, 06:10 PM
I would bring in Mullins. Pozuelo likes to roam, which leaves no one in the middle. Feel like times there's a hole in the middle because we are essentially playing a 4-4-2-0 with two wingers and no striker

Just not sure who I'd replace him for.

portu
10-19-2019, 06:13 PM
I would bring in Mullins. Pozuelo likes to roam, which leaves no one in the middle. Feel like times there's a hole in the middle because we are essentially playing a 4-4-2-0 with two wingers and no striker

Just not sure who I'd replace him for.

Endoh has been anonymous

DavemTFC
10-19-2019, 06:16 PM
We're much better than them attacking-wise even without Jozy and thanks to Hamid's gift they have to do more than just bunker now. If we let them back in we will have only ourselves to blame. Ciman needs to have one of his better 45 mins in TFC red (he scared me when he went to ground midway through that first half)

James17930
10-19-2019, 06:17 PM
Endoh has been anonymous

True, he hasn't done much so far.

Maybe we'll see Gallardo.

daner90
10-19-2019, 06:20 PM
I would say Osorio. Already played mid-week and is on a yellow card

rydermike
10-19-2019, 06:21 PM
Endoh has been anonymous
He celebrated Delgado goal pretty hard. He did the jumping fist pump as if he scored

James17930
10-19-2019, 06:24 PM
I would say Osorio. Already played mid-week and is on a yellow card

That's a good point.

Inklink
10-19-2019, 06:34 PM
Was Oso being a little pissy at BEnezet there?

rydermike
10-19-2019, 06:36 PM
Two huge saves by Westberg there on Rooney

rydermike
10-19-2019, 06:47 PM
Man of the match is Westberg

Mark TFC
10-19-2019, 06:49 PM
Westberg MOTM

JavierMartini
10-19-2019, 06:49 PM
Endoh was playing amazing, don't know what game you guys are watching benezet should've come off for sure, and that terrible giveaway shows it. Endoh was the hardest worker out there, tracking back, making plays all over the place in key areas.

Mark TFC
10-19-2019, 06:55 PM
Endoh was playing amazing, don't know what game you guys are watching benezet should've come off for sure, and that terrible giveaway shows it. Endoh was the hardest worker out there, tracking back, making plays all over the place in key areas.

Agreed with the comment about Endoh; dude was all over the pitch, tracking back and tracking opposing team down quick when they had the ball.

Inklink
10-19-2019, 07:04 PM
De leon's man.

rydermike
10-19-2019, 07:04 PM
The risk of defensive subs. We have 5 defenders and 5 midfielder on now

JavierMartini
10-19-2019, 07:05 PM
De leon's man.

vanney's sub

daner90
That's so TFC

James17930
Oh fucking hell.

I have to go to work in five minutes!

Mark TFC
10-19-2019, 07:06 PM
Typical TFC fashion to concede that goal. Oh well... we shall win!

rydermike
10-19-2019, 07:07 PM
Typical TFC fashion to concede that goal. Oh well... we shall win!

Not of it goes to PKs

Oldtimer
10-19-2019, 07:08 PM
My nightmare scenario has this going to penalties. Missing OG is critical.

DavemTFC
10-19-2019, 07:10 PM
This has PK's (so a TFC loss) written all over it...MLS follows the newish rule where you can make a 4th sub in extra time right?

Endoh was pretty good and definitely the better of the two wingers today. Truthfully it was a solid performance, clearly not solid enough though

rydermike
10-19-2019, 07:11 PM
Holy shit. Laryea took a shot in the box for the first time this season and scored

James17930
10-19-2019, 07:13 PM
Oh Richie, thank you.

Inklink
10-19-2019, 07:14 PM
RICHI!

lmao what's Mavinga doing up there

Mark TFC
Richie!!!

PaceyWinger
what a time for Lareya to finally find some finish! wow!

Inklink
Osooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

rydermike
Butterfingers Hamid twice today

Inklink
10-19-2019, 07:22 PM
Ooooh sshiiitttttt

PaceyWinger
10-19-2019, 07:23 PM
holy shit Poz and Oso en fuego

PaceyWinger
10-19-2019, 07:24 PM
That was a finish with class. not easy to hit off of the bounce and put it right to the corner.

Richard
We look to be heating up at the right time of year.

rydermike
The best 15 minutes of football in TFC history right here

JavierMartini
10-19-2019, 07:25 PM
Well at least he made up for not marking the guy in regular time hahaha

Inklink
10-19-2019, 07:25 PM
WTF IS GOING on????

rydermike
10-19-2019, 07:26 PM
I'm glad we conceded that goal. These minutes did so much for our biys confidence

PaceyWinger
10-19-2019, 07:27 PM
oh my god DeLeon what a strike. this is the most amazing Extra Time I've ever witnessed.

daner90
10-19-2019, 07:28 PM
Unbelievable

James17930
10-19-2019, 07:33 PM
Incredible!

DavemTFC
10-19-2019, 07:48 PM
No way am I trying to analyze a game like that. On to the Bronx!

:scarf::flare::drum::canada:

edit: I want to add though that I desperately hope there's a gif/video out there of Laryea leaving Mora hanging after his "apology"

portu
10-19-2019, 07:49 PM
That half hour was better than anything I've seen us do all year.

OgtheDim
10-19-2019, 07:50 PM
Take it. Move on. Cup football.

ManUtd4ever
10-19-2019, 07:56 PM
Unbelievable effort by the boys in extra time after a heartbreaking tying goal.

Westberg really made a difference tonight.

Inklink
10-19-2019, 07:59 PM
Instant classic. Exhilarating.

benito
10-19-2019, 08:04 PM
Wow... What a crazy finish! Can’t wait to get home and watch the highlights.

notthesun
10-19-2019, 08:09 PM
Hard to believe what I was watching in that extra time. This should be huge for our confidence.

samuraizero
10-19-2019, 08:10 PM
People love to hate on Endoh but hes worked his ass off to make it back to the first team and he's showing a crazy amount of heart and a crazy amount of work in his time back on the first team. He's earned his starts.

Poor Marky beat to shit out there but still the workhorse he always is.

Well deserved win - amazing extra time. On to New York.

Bushmancan
10-19-2019, 08:17 PM
holy shit Poz and Oso en fuego

Great call on the link up. Saw it too, have been waiting for that all season.

Initial B
10-19-2019, 08:31 PM
As happy as I am now, we were lucky as we easily could have crashed out in regular time if Westberg didn't make those 4 key saves. I guess we have to trust that even though the attackers and defenders were shaky at times, the Bradley-Osorio-Delgado midfield out there was the same one we used through the entire 2018 CCL run. I'm hoping nobody is too injured to play on Wednesday.

Areathrasher
10-19-2019, 08:35 PM
Rollin, Rollin, Rollin...

Mothers, lock up your daughter's...Rooney is on the loose tonight :lol:

SirBobSaget
10-19-2019, 09:12 PM
Wow Osorio with a 1443 Audi index score, don't remember seeing anything that high before.

barticusz
10-19-2019, 09:17 PM
Where do you see these stats? MLS website?

Canary10
10-19-2019, 09:32 PM
Well. Crazy. Never seen a 15 minutes of extra time quite like that! Guess they didn’t want penalties?

Oldtimer
10-19-2019, 09:36 PM
As happy as I am now, we were lucky as we easily could have crashed out in regular time if Westberg didn't make those 4 key saves.

DC's keeper also did key saves. They could have crashed out in regular time too.

benito
10-19-2019, 09:45 PM
DC's keeper also did key saves. They could have crashed out in regular time too.

Hamid made some big stops but also had troubling controlling his rebounds/catching the ball.

OgtheDim
10-19-2019, 09:46 PM
Cup soccer is different - whatever you need to do to get the win.

Crowd was late infilling but 25K is nothing to sneeze about all considered.

Defence was controlled & Westberg saved us. Depth showed. And I agree with KJ - best game Osorio has had for us ever.

PaceyWinger
10-19-2019, 10:07 PM
Let's hope Omar is ready to go on wednesday. He would be critical on a narrow pitch. Vanney seemed confident Mavinga will be ready.

SirBobSaget
10-19-2019, 10:08 PM
Where do you see these stats? MLS website?

Yes its a feature within MLS Matchcenter https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2019-10-19-toronto-fc-vs-dc-united/audi-index

Morris also a good score tonight from his 3 goals at 1387. To set a baseline, when Dallas beat SKC 6-0 their top ranker had 947 points. When Zlatan scored 3 vs SKS in a 7-2 win he earned 1308.
Breaking 1000 is rare, over 1400 very uncommon.

OgtheDim
10-19-2019, 10:16 PM
Extended highlights tonight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF62iKWXcl4

Red CB Toronto
10-19-2019, 10:32 PM
Rollin, Rollin, Rollin...

Mothers, lock up your daughter's...Rooney is on the loose tonight :lol:

Already on a plane back to DC.

What a first half of extra time that was, simply amazing. I was dreading the thought of PKs and then all of a sudden it came a non-factor with that crazy 15 minutes.

stevep
10-19-2019, 10:58 PM
Yes its a feature within MLS Matchcenter https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2019-10-19-toronto-fc-vs-dc-united/audi-index

Morris also a good score tonight from his 3 goals at 1387. To set a baseline, when Dallas beat SKC 6-0 their top ranker had 947 points. When Zlatan scored 3 vs SKS in a 7-2 win he earned 1308.
Breaking 1000 is rare, over 1400 very uncommon.

https://matchcenter.whitecapsfc.com/matchcenter/2017-07-30-toronto-fc-vs-new-york-city-fc/audi-index

https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2016-11-06-new-york-city-fc-vs-toronto-fc/audi-index

The second link wow

How soon we forget.
He was consistently over 1000

notthesun
10-19-2019, 11:06 PM
Well. Crazy. Never seen a 15 minutes of extra time quite like that! Guess they didn’t want penalties?

Heh. I was joking with my friend after the 5th goal, once penalties became a possibility our guys shifted into extra gear to make sure we didn't get there.:p

Oldtimer
10-20-2019, 12:01 AM
It's worth watching Vanney's post game interview. He goes into how he adjusted the team to the situation both tactically and emotionally. It gives some insight.

pfk
10-20-2019, 12:52 AM
Wow. The first extra Half was the best 15 minutes I have seen TFC play since the 2017 MLS Cup. They just did not stop.

There’s some hilarious posts at the start of the match in this thread that aged terribly.

On to NYC and the mini-pitch! COYR!

Auzzy
10-20-2019, 05:14 AM
One of the craziest games I've ever seen. Such lows and such highs. Crowd was also weird at times. Lots of people left around the 85th minute, thinking TFC is winning. Boy did they miss out.

And on the pitch: some really intense periods; and some parts of the game that felt like a senior men's kickabout where people don't want to get injured; and/or were too tired to do much. TFC had phases with the best passing and combinations I've seen all season, as well as the best pressure & winning back the ball in midfield. Up there with the recent LAFC game (and with Canada in the game vs the US). And TFC had other phases that we would rather forget.

Now I can laugh about the goal we gave up in stoppage time. I just re-checked the lowlight video of that. It was almost comical: literally 8 TFC players ball-watching, all getting drawn to the ball (and away from the net), like moths to a light bulb. Leaving only two TFC players (plus Westberg) in front of net, and three DC players. It's true that Deleon also ball watched, and let Rodriguez drift to goal all open & score. But I can't give him too much blame: somebody else first let Arriola slip in all alone to setup the goal. With 3 DC players in front of net, and only two from TFC (Osorio and Deleon), somebody was bound to score. I wonder if Gonzalez would have been more disciplined there.

I was really worried about the starting lineup, especially with Omar out. I thought Ciman and Mavinga did quite well, at least for about 90% of the time.

Poor Marky: he could barely move anymore. But he put in a perfect pass to Mullins near the end, who was fresh off the bench. And Mullins shoots it at the keeper...

Hamid spilled most of the low shots, throughout the whole game. So the Delgado goal wasn't really a surprise to me. That's where we were really missing Jozy, or any true striker for the majority of the game. Somebody should have been crashing the net everytime we advanced towards goal. There were so many rebounds to be had.

Auzzy
10-20-2019, 05:18 AM
What a pitiful showing by the DC away fans. So few of them making the relatively short trip, on a weekend. To think DC used to have the first and best supporters culture in the league. And this was the potential last game of their star player.

PS I thought I had already seen a NYCFC pre-match thread? OTD still recovering I guess, perfectly understandable.

Mavinga, Delgado, Altidore, and Gonzalez all with potential injuries for Wednesday. And all the other starters tired, after a hard-fought game with overtime. A couple of players are going to really have to step up for Wednesday.

James17930
10-20-2019, 05:25 AM
Did they announce the official attendance? I didn't see it.

Also, re: the lack of traveling support for DC - remember that only around 40% of Americans have a passport. Coming up to Toronto is not so straightforward a thing for some people.

ensco
10-20-2019, 05:52 AM
DC traveling support had nothing to do with passports, they have been here in numbers before. It had more to do with the fact that they have demoralized their support with (i) a bunch of ticket rules and stadium rules that came with the move to Audi Field that have the support upset, (ii) a bad last few games, capped by blowing the home playoff game by not scoring on 9 man Cincinnati at home, and (iii) that the city has gone berserk for the Nationals.

Rooney did not talk to reporters postgame. Did it have anything to do with the way he came out? I was disappointed that Rooney was just ghosted by being subbed out during the switch in extra time. I think it was disrespectful by Olsen. That is a longtime World XI player leaving the league who deserved to be traditionally recognized as such, whatever the circumstances. Rooney should have and would have been clapped off properly.

DCU allowed more goals in the first half of extra time than they had in last six matches combined.

I have no idea how the Audi index works but until extra time Pozo was by far the dominant player for TFC. Oso had not seen that much of the ball.

Ciman was outstanding. What a pleasure to see that. His timing on stepping forward, something he was bungling all year, was perfect

OgtheDim
10-20-2019, 06:15 AM
Did they announce the official attendance? I didn't see it.

25331 - looked it. South & West filled in. Top East is always a hard sell.

19Barrett19
10-20-2019, 07:48 AM
U have witnessed the greatest extra time half because tfc went back to the championship winning formation of 3-5-2. The team was forced to use thi formation having 3 CB on with moor ciman and mavinga. This I believe benefitted the red and having been familiar with the formation helped alot.

pfk
10-20-2019, 08:03 AM
Just read that Bill Hamid has 5 clean sheets coming to this game.

He made a number of errors, but some of the shots were impossible to stop. TFC was just too good last night.

Areathrasher
10-20-2019, 08:39 AM
The Audi Index is snake oil bollocks btw

DavemTFC
10-20-2019, 08:39 AM
Hamid's best saves came when TFC was already well in front, compared to Q's three really important saves in the second half that kept us in it. Westberg and Laryea have been fantastic this season and I'm glad they both got the starring role they deserved.

And as I said earlier this was a solid performance all around, Benezet maybe being the only disappointment. Defence seemed well organized and there were no major breakdowns from what I saw, so credit the CB's especially Ciman who was very good today. It's impossible to ignore the Hamid flub, but got to give lots of credit to Marky for gambling like a top striker would and getting there. Endoh also very good I thought, he was wide open 2 or 3 times in that second half and wasn't passed to, but he's tricky and eager to shoot which gives DC's defenders something to think about. DeLeon was at fault for the first goal but made up for it in extra time. The stream I was watching wasn't the greatest quality so I originally thought Laryea's goal was assisted by Poz, which should say a lot about how good DeLeon's pass was.

And Oso stepped up in a big game like he virtually always does. He can be frustrating to watch at times (and even last night he had a few of those moments in the second half) but he is awesome to watch when he's on. It's been terrific to see him and Laryea (and Fraser!) kill it in both BMO games this week

mauser09
10-20-2019, 08:46 AM
What a pitiful showing by the DC away fans. So few of them making the relatively short trip, on a weekend. To think DC used to have the first and best supporters culture in the league. And this was the potential last game of their star player.

Lucky for them, it looked like the majority got kicked out before the extra time started. Didn't have to watch their team give up 4 goals in 15 mins.

Mikmacdo
10-20-2019, 08:49 AM
Only 25k attendance is concerning. I think they made bmo field too big when they expanded. 25 to 27k would look a lot better than 30k with 5k empty seats. I guess they could lower prices in the upper east side and the upper West cirners werent close to capacity.

Auzzy
10-20-2019, 09:10 AM
Lucky for them, it looked like the majority got kicked out before the extra time started. Didn't have to watch their team give up 4 goals in 15 mins.

Why did they get kicked out then? It looked there were only about 20 of them to start.

backbeat
10-20-2019, 09:36 AM
Why did they get kicked out then? It looked there were only about 20 of them to start.

flares - and they looked really good

Ultra & Proud
10-20-2019, 09:37 AM
I was disappointed that Rooney was just ghosted by being subbed out during the switch in extra time. I think it was disrespectful by Olsen. That is a longtime World XI player leaving the league who deserved to be traditionally recognized as such, whatever the circumstances. Rooney should have and would have been clapped off properly.

If I was Olsen I would have yanked him when he bailed on the 50/50 with Bradley. He was in 100% half ass mode once we went up in ET.

And it was probably better for him to get taken off as he did. No clapping was coming his way and nor should there be. Just a long walk of laughs, boos, insults, and the na na na na hey hey hey goodbye song.

mauser09
10-20-2019, 10:14 AM

Not my pic -> https://i.imgur.com/FWKTi2y.jpg

Looks like they thought the game was over at 1-0 and decided to set off a few flares. I wonder if they still would have been kicked out if there was a larger number of DC fans.

BelfastBoy
10-20-2019, 10:50 AM
Only 25k attendance is concerning. I think they made bmo field too big when they expanded. 25 to 27k would look a lot better than 30k with 5k empty seats. I guess they could lower prices in the upper east side and the upper West cirners werent close to capacity..

Tickets were still $45 USD an hour before kick-off. They should be selling those upper east side for $30. The whole east side looked bad on TV.

Regardless, best TFC game i've seen and without Giovinco and Altidore no less.

ag futbol
10-20-2019, 11:22 AM
I have no idea how the Audi index works but until extra time Pozo was by far the dominant player for TFC. Oso had not seen that much of the ball
Not so sure about that. I thought Osorio had more of the ball than Pozuelo if anything. Although Pozuelo’s movement up top was critical to everything else that happened for the team offensively.

The wide play makes all the difference. Teams are stuck between a rock and a hard place trying to figure out how to defend is right now.

About time Laryea found his shooting boots.

flatpicker
10-20-2019, 12:36 PM

Looks like they thought the game was over at 1-0 and decided to set off a few flares. I wonder if they still would have been kicked out if there was a larger number of DC fans.
Well, they did get momentary satisfaction considering DC scored while those flare lit.

OgtheDim
10-20-2019, 12:47 PM
Only 25k attendance is concerning. I think they made bmo field too big when they expanded. 25 to 27k would look a lot better than 30k with 5k empty seats. I guess they could lower prices in the upper east side and the upper West cirners werent close to capacity.

Just to provide some context:

3 years ago, with 4 days notice, we had 21K for a playoff game & people in here were thinking this team hadn't made it yet.Next home playoff game against NYC was 28K

613reppingTFC
10-21-2019, 07:46 AM
what a crazy game, so much already was commented on. I was really happy to see that it was probably the best game i've seen by Oso since maybe we signed that extension deal. I feel that Canada win on Tuesday really gave him the extra step and he seemed to have a bit of that swagger back when he was dribbling one on one against guys.

Flares were set off by the supporters when the ball got headed out of bounds just before they were going to take that corner kick and then scored.

lol someone mentioned the pitch was slippery and watered for 15 mins at halftime...clearly could tell when that guy ran on the field and wiped out hahah

Was able to hit up the march down with RPB and it was such an amazing experience!! thanks guys!

Canary10
10-21-2019, 09:34 AM
Not so sure about that. I thought Osorio had more of the ball than Pozuelo if anything. Although Pozuelo’s movement up top was critical to everything else that happened for the team offensively.

The wide play makes all the difference. Teams are stuck between a rock and a hard place trying to figure out how to defend is right now.

About time Laryea found his shooting boots.

Yeah, I find Ensco's comment strange. If anything I thought that game showed Pozeulo is totally in the wrong position as a lone forward. I thought that was almost the least effective I've seen him this season. I get why they put him there, but it clearly is not his best position. He needs to be creating, not holding, scoring.

Thought Osorio had a great game. One underrated element of his play is how good he is on the ball. I saw him get out of a number of tricky situations with some good footwork and a nice pass. He really is an all around solid player in my opinion.

Canary10
10-21-2019, 09:37 AM
One of the craziest games I've ever seen. Such lows and such highs. Crowd was also weird at times. Lots of people left around the 85th minute, thinking TFC is winning. Boy did they miss out.

And on the pitch: some really intense periods; and some parts of the game that felt like a senior men's kickabout where people don't want to get injured; and/or were too tired to do much. TFC had phases with the best passing and combinations I've seen all season, as well as the best pressure & winning back the ball in midfield. Up there with the recent LAFC game (and with Canada in the game vs the US). And TFC had other phases that we would rather forget.

Now I can laugh about the goal we gave up in stoppage time. I just re-checked the lowlight video of that. It was almost comical: literally 8 TFC players ball-watching, all getting drawn to the ball (and away from the net), like moths to a light bulb. Leaving only two TFC players (plus Westberg) in front of net, and three DC players. It's true that Deleon also ball watched, and let Rodriguez drift to goal all open & score. But I can't give him too much blame: somebody else first let Arriola slip in all alone to setup the goal. With 3 DC players in front of net, and only two from TFC (Osorio and Deleon), somebody was bound to score. I wonder if Gonzalez would have been more disciplined there.

I was really worried about the starting lineup, especially with Omar out. I thought Ciman and Mavinga did quite well, at least for about 90% of the time.

Poor Marky: he could barely move anymore. But he put in a perfect pass to Mullins near the end, who was fresh off the bench. And Mullins shoots it at the keeper...

Hamid spilled most of the low shots, throughout the whole game. So the Delgado goal wasn't really a surprise to me. That's where we were really missing Jozy, or any true striker for the majority of the game. Somebody should have been crashing the net everytime we advanced towards goal. There were so many rebounds to be had.

The guy beside me (a friend of the season ticket holder I sit with) was saying all game I don't like this 1-0 lead. It's too tight, we're going to blow it. Then they scored and he was ready to jump off a bridge. He then flew out, saying he had to leave before extra time to catch a Go train to Barrie. Missed the entire extra time completely.

michaeltfc91
10-21-2019, 09:55 AM
I was at a Wedding so I only was able to catch bits and pieces of the match, but watched the 12 minute highlight package at least 10 times. I have never seen an extra time period like that... I don't think i have ever seen 3 goals in 30 minutes of extra time never mind 4 goals in 15 minutes. It must have been a mess in the south end all that celebrating, and the goals kept getting better and better!!

I really think our team is flowing beautifully and we finally have some cohesion defensively even without Gonzalez. We are 2 deep at every single position and this team will go as far as Greg Vanney takes them. On paper, we are absolute quality. The only issue is it took us too long to find our flow that we didn't have a good enough regular season and have to win 3 road games to take home MLS Cup.

When you have De Leon, Laryea, Moor coming off the bench, you have a pretty stacked squad. I like our prospects for next year starting the season with a full team as long as we can resign Bradley who is our rock.

Mike_S
10-21-2019, 11:32 AM

It was also very frustrating to see absolutely no one making a run to the far post whenever a winger was in a position to send in a cross. It was like no one on the field had the instinct to do that.

Section_105
10-21-2019, 01:12 PM

well played to them! travel all that way and get booted but at least there was a blaze of glory.

OgtheDim
10-21-2019, 01:33 PM
well played to them! travel all that way and get booted but at least there was a blaze of glory.

Of the 3 DCU supporter groups there on Saturday, the 2 that didn't set off the flares are very publically ticked at the 3rd.

Section_105
10-21-2019, 02:01 PM
Of the 3 DCU supporter groups there on Saturday, the 2 that didn't set off the flares are very publically ticked at the 3rd.

I can imagine. getting tagged for that which we have not contributed to sucks. I wondered why their players didn't come over to clap at the end of the game. I'm right below in 105 and can't see them with the step back of the sections so didn't know they were gone.

SoccMan2
10-21-2019, 08:09 PM
Getting back to the only 25000 in attendance for me it is worrying no excuses that stadium should have been packed , unfortunately we will never know if interest will improve because there will be no more games at BMO this year . The second tier east side is always a hard sell always seems to be more than half full every game. I’m a season ticket holder who seats in the upper tier on the west side , but I’ve sat in the east second tier once and what a joke of a tier , way too high much higher than the west side second tier. No wonder they always have a hard time selling that tier . The blame lies solely in the hands of the idiots at MLSE who decided to expand BMO by building this crazy gigantic second tier way too high when what they should have done is fill in the north end with a proper stand and fill in any of the open spaces of the stadium but no they go and build this waste of a second east tier that could have been built a bit less higher by first filling in all the open spaces in the stadium.