PDA

View Full Version : Match Day 34 - Columbus @ TFC - Sunday Oct 6 4pm - Electric word, life

OgtheDim
09-30-2019, 09:38 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXJhDltzYVQ

Lets get nuts

Have at It People

ensco
09-30-2019, 09:58 AM
As I expect Michael and Jozy to play in the USMNT games, I hope they sit. But I see that it’s a forlorn hope.

pfk
09-30-2019, 12:17 PM
As I expect Michael and Jozy to play in the USMNT games, I hope they sit. But I see that it’s a forlorn hope.

You are probably right. I thought the USMNT was only playing Canada on the October 15, but I see the USMNT is also playing Cuba on October 11.

After that, it's full speed....
Round 1 - October 19/20
Conference Semis - Oct 23/24
Conference Finals - Oct 29/30
MLS Cup - Nov 10.

Very little time for rest!

Initial B
10-01-2019, 06:41 AM
You know we're probably the only team that will have a third of our starting line-up playing for one of the two sides here at BMO Field? I'm hoping that Vanney has negotiated with Berhalter to only play Bradley and Altidore in the Canada game and leave them at home for the Cuba game. That way they don't have to travel at all. :D

Section_105
10-01-2019, 01:13 PM
ah, he doesn't need Bradley and Altidore to beat cuba or Canada, he can just leave them off altogether and go with some younger kids ........ yeah, that's the ticket.

also lets get the points vs. Hams and the boys.

Red CB Toronto
10-01-2019, 03:05 PM
ah, he doesn't need Bradley and Altidore to beat cuba or Canada, he can just leave them off altogether and go with some younger kids ........ yeah, that's the ticket.

also lets get the points vs. Hams and the boys.

JHams has barely been playing for the Crew, 38 minutes in 3 games since the trade. I see both Jozy and Michael being selected, no doubt.

Ultra & Proud
10-01-2019, 06:43 PM
Problem with Berhalter is that he could pick anyone and he is pretty random. He does value MLSers though. Guess we'll see if he values MLS next week judging by his call ups.

pfk
10-02-2019, 01:16 PM
Jozy and Bradley will be called up on the shortlist for Cuba and Canada. https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/10/02/us-mens-national-team-announces-roster-october-matches

stevep
10-02-2019, 01:31 PM
Jozy and Bradley will be called up on the shortlist for Cuba and Canada. https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/10/02/us-mens-national-team-announces-roster-october-matches

Concacaf nation's league tournament.
You have to laugh at this nonsense.
If you take this seriously it's not good for ones health

Section_105
10-02-2019, 03:12 PM
JHams has barely been playing for the Crew, 38 minutes in 3 games since the trade. I see both Jozy and Michael being selected, no doubt.

just being hopeful.

notthesun
10-02-2019, 04:28 PM

?

Nations Leagues are replacing friendlies around the globe. It's a better system.

stevep
10-02-2019, 08:54 PM
?

Nations Leagues are replacing friendlies around the globe. It's a better system.

After it became obvious we weren't going to win supporters shield, we lost cdn championship and most likely no home playoff game we only have one thing left to get excited about, to cheer about, something to care about. And that one thing the MLS cup a bunch of our star players have to play in the nonsense games a few days before our first game instead of resting and being one hundred percent strong to go after the MLS cup.

Where is the outrage??? There is none? The insanity around me drives me insane.

MightyDM
10-02-2019, 09:54 PM
Let's hope Jozy and Michael play against Canada and not Cuba. Americans love playing for the USA - although Jozy is clearly tired this will motivate him. That's the best we can do, a motivated Jozy.

And P, I think you are missing what is going on here. This is FIFA trying for more control and $$$$$$$. They have it brilliantly - players are free by comparison to club contracts. And they get really really wealthy from sanctioning these kinds of competitions. i bet MLS is making money here thorough SUM TV or DAZN or something.

stevep
10-02-2019, 10:01 PM
Let's hope Jozy and Michael play against Canada and not Cuba. Americans love playing for the USA - although Jozy is clearly tired this will motivate him. That's the best we can do, a motivated Jozy.

And P, I think you are missing what is going on here. This is FIFA trying for more control and $$$$$$$. They have it brilliantly - players are free by comparison to club contracts. And they get really really wealthy from sanctioning these kinds of competitions. i bet MLS is making money her thorough SUM TV or DAZN or something.
For sure it's for the money

MightyDM
10-02-2019, 10:03 PM
yup $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

OgtheDim
10-03-2019, 06:08 AM
Without Nations League, we as a country go back to playing Azerbaijan on a training pitch in Austria.

Nation's league will get CONCACAF better as a whole, which ultimately benefits both the CanMNT & TFC.

If you all want to go back to the days when we struggled to get friendlies together, well good luck with that.

Is there more $ involved? OF COURSE

Is this new system better then the old one? Yup

Oldtimer
10-03-2019, 07:03 AM
So... how about the game against Columbus?

I say TFC wins.

Omar
10-03-2019, 07:54 AM
So... how about the game against Columbus?

I say TFC wins.
To continue on with the conversation, the Crew have always given us tough matches regardless of their situation. I expect this one to be no different. However, we need to go all guns blazing.

If Arthur and Trapp start in the deeper midfield roles, then their midfield's there for the taking. If it's David Guzman, Trapp, and Artur, it'll be tougher. We need Pozuelo to play on the right but drift inside in order to break down that midfield 3. Benezet will help big time, too, but if we play a midfield 3 of Oso, Bradley, and Delgado, we'll lose that incisiveness. In that case, Endoh has to start on the left. Jozy would like to have runners when he's on the ball, anyways.

If we get the setup right, we can have a dynamic midfield that'll destroy the Crew's defensive shape. Delgado and Pozuelo have the potential to work well together along with Laryea. We also need Jozy to be on his game; without him being in top form, our attacks break down way too easily. Regardless of the fact that we can't control our playoff destiny, we should do our best to win and hope that others around us screw up.

Finally, I look forward to the atmosphere. I think BMO Field will be raucous this Sunday.

613reppingTFC
10-03-2019, 08:21 AM
Yep, we need a solid 90 mins and a win would really help with motivation moving into the playoffs. This nine game unbeaten streak is getting close to the 2017 record of 11, let's hope they have that in the back of their minds giving them an extra push.

OgtheDim
10-03-2019, 08:26 AM
Its going to be a wet day.

Joe Kool
10-03-2019, 08:55 AM
Its going to be a wet day.

Weather forecasts are not always that accurate this far out. I always check the day of so I don't prepare until then. Forecast can totally change in 24 hrs. Any word on this year's toques? Maybe they should have made it ponchos...

Oldtimer
10-03-2019, 09:25 AM
Nobody has pointed out so far that given the draw in Columbus earlier this year, a win would give TFC the Fake Rivalry Cup.

https://mlsclevelandblog.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/trillium-cup.jpg

This also means that the game can't end with a draw, they'll have PKs so that someone will get the cup. At least I remember them doing that one year.

Joe Kool
10-03-2019, 09:47 AM
this also means that the game can't end with a draw, they'll have pks so that someone will get the cup. At least i remember them doing that one year.

tfc + pk = lol

Ponderosa
10-03-2019, 10:05 AM
Nobody has pointed out so far that given the draw in Columbus earlier this year, a win would give TFC the Fake Rivalry Cup.

This also means that the game can't end with a draw, they'll have PKs so that someone will get the cup. At least I remember them doing that one year.

TBH in all these years did not realise there was an 'actual' cup- so thank you for posting but this brings to mind ... since we win it in 2017...does that mean we should have had a a 4th cup on our scarves...what comes after 'treble'?

Omar
10-03-2019, 10:45 AM
TBH in all these years did not realise there was an 'actual' cup- so thank you for posting but this brings to mind ... since we win it in 2017...does that mean we should have had a a 4th cup on our scarves...what comes after 'treble'?
It's not really an official tournament even though we do get a nice trophy. It feels more like something to stoke up a rivalry between TFC and the Crew. If you want to count it, I guess you can say that we won the 'quadruple'.

Oldtimer
10-03-2019, 10:51 AM
^ in 2017 the players didn't even celebrate the Trillium Cup or even bring it to their locker room. They dropped it off for the supporters, who didn't care either, lol. MB later said to the media they didn't care about it, they only cared about the points.

When MLS created this cup (one of several of these for several supposed "rivalries"), Montreal wasn't in MLS yet and they wanted to promote Columbus as our "local rival." It was fake from day one.

It's about as valuable as the "participation trophies" kids get.

Richard
10-03-2019, 11:20 AM
Wait the game can't end in a draw?

What? Really?

Just melt it down already, no-one gives a fuck.

Red CB Toronto
10-03-2019, 11:32 AM
The Reds, have one major rival, only one opponent that when they play them its considered a derby and it certainly is not the Crew, Tic Tac ...

In all seriousness the Reds need to win this one and head into the post-season on a high note regardless of it starting on the road or at home. Cant worry about what other teams are going on the day.

ag futbol
10-03-2019, 01:49 PM
?

Well, sort of. I agree with forcing the teams to play games, especially Canada which has been perpetually lazy about scheduling.

However, when you look at the last minute change for the HEX format and this nations league requirement, teams like Canada that are just outside the bubble are really getting screwed.

notthesun
10-03-2019, 05:53 PM
Well, sort of. I agree with forcing the teams to play games, especially Canada which has been perpetually lazy about scheduling.

However, when you look at the last minute change for the HEX format and this nations league requirement, teams like Canada that are just outside the bubble are really getting screwed.

Yeah, but that's a WC qualification issue, not a Nations League problem. More specifically it's CONCACAF being inept as usual.

Ultra & Proud
10-03-2019, 09:46 PM
^ in 2017 the players didn't even celebrate the Trillium Cup or even bring it to their locker room. They dropped it off for the supporters, who didn't care either, lol.

My favorite fake cup memory is when we won it in Columbus and they handed it to Winter and you tell from his reaction it was "WTF is this?!?"

OgtheDim
10-04-2019, 09:48 PM
Weather forecasts are not always that accurate this far out. I always check the day of so I don't prepare until then. Forecast can totally change in 24 hrs. Any word on this year's toques? Maybe they should have made it ponchos...

Yup, rain now ending in the morning.

OgtheDim
10-05-2019, 07:34 PM
So Columbus

Since July 13

One loss

Anybody expecting an easy game hasn't been watching what Pedro Santos has been doing

This will NOT be easy

On the other hand, since July 13, we've had 2 losses so....

Ultra & Proud
10-06-2019, 12:30 AM
On the other hand, since July 13, we've had 2 losses so....

Which you would never expect based on reactions on social media. If you came back from some off the grid jungle and read that stuff before looking at the table you'd expect something more like Cinci's record.

Fort York Redcoat
10-06-2019, 08:08 AM
Finally the day of days have come

The most cherished cup

The most brutal of battles

THE BATTLE OF THE TRILLIUM CONCLUDES!

This must be what our reds have been saving their strength for!

This is the win against our only true rivals to squeak us into the host position for the pussplops!

Mullins vs JHam

FIGHT!

OgtheDim
10-06-2019, 08:17 AM
Which you would never expect based on reactions on social media. If you came back from some off the grid jungle and read that stuff before looking at the table you'd expect something more like Cinci's record.

We are tied with LAG for 5th most goals in the league - beating Atlanta.

Tied for 15th in goals against - our obvious issue this year has been defence, not attack. Yes, we could have been so much better in the standings if finishing was good but to say our offence has been poor is just not true. We have a very good platform to build into 2020 (with the biggest issues being adjusting around Bradley if he leaves & figuring out how to properly use Pozuelo).

I expect there to be goals today. Likely result a 2-2 draw but I could see us losing this one. Will need to play tighter lock down defence & not get caught in transition.

Fort York Redcoat
10-06-2019, 08:27 AM

Right, because your paranoia over this club this season is a picture of health.

Canada is playing and it's not a friendly. I'm excited.

After it became obvious we weren't going to win supporters shield, we lost cdn championship and most likely no home playoff game we only have one thing left to get excited about, to cheer about, something to care about. And that one thing the MLS cup a bunch of our star players have to play in the nonsense games a few days before our first game instead of resting and being one hundred percent strong to go after the MLS cup.

Where is the outrage??? There is none? The insanity around me drives me insane.

I was outraged when they didn't play their best in the Champions League
I was outraged when they didn't play their best in the VCup.

They snuck into the playoffs after Gold Cup
They may sneak into the host position today

What makes people think they have it to sneak away with the pussplops?

Enjoy the matches tho

Canary10
10-06-2019, 09:02 AM
What is the ideal result today, assuming we’re not hosting a playoff game? With this new playoff format I can’t figure out what our best route is.

OgtheDim
10-06-2019, 09:39 AM
What is the ideal result today, assuming we’re not hosting a playoff game? With this new playoff format I can’t figure out what our best route is.

None of the teams ahead of us in the East are worth being afraid of in a one off match at their place.

I'd like to see us win to get some momentum and maybe grab 4th for a home playoff game. But anywhere 5th & 6th is OK with me as it gets us into Leagues Cup - a game (or 2) at BMO against a LigaMx team with some Garber bucks thrown in.

A draw still gets us 6th. What I don't want is 7th but ultimately, back in July, would have been happy with even that.

tfcfans
10-06-2019, 09:43 AM

Our ideal route is to finish 6th, play at Philly and hope for a bunkering miracle where NE somehow beats Atlanta in Round 1 and we host NE in round 2 (this will never happen of course), and then a trip to a ridiculous ballpark setup at some new field (Citi Field), as the Yankees kick out NYCFC in the ECF....then of course some bizarro Western playoffs where somehow someone other than an LA team makes the Finals like Portland or Dallas and the MLS Cup is played in Toronto:rolleyes:

or.....we lose in Round 1 at Philly or at DC (if somehow NYRB screw up today in Mtl and we get 5th). I don’t see us falling to seventh as I think Atl will take care of NE at home today to set up a rematch for next week. I have no faith in us going to Atlanta and winning in R2; the other away options scare me less....

stevep
10-06-2019, 10:39 AM
What about the toque?
Got an email from tfc this morning no mention of a toque??

stevep
10-06-2019, 10:58 AM
Right, because your paranoia over this club this season is a picture of health.

Canada is playing and it's not a friendly. I'm excited.

I was outraged when they didn't play their best in the Champions League
I was outraged when they didn't play their best in the VCup.

They snuck into the playoffs after Gold Cup
They may sneak into the host position today

What makes people think they have it to sneak away with the pussplops?

Enjoy the matches tho

If our star players play in these two international games and we lose game one of the MLS playoffs I am blaming the loss entirely on our star players being tired due to playing in these games.

Enjoy your two games.

Initial B
10-06-2019, 12:50 PM
If our star players play in these two international games and we lose game one of the MLS playoffs I am blaming the loss entirely on our star players being tired due to playing in these games.
It's not just our star players. There is no other playoff-bound MLS team that has 4 starters called up. I hope Vanney and Berhalter/Herdman have talked about managing their minutes.

DavemTFC
10-06-2019, 12:57 PM
Just don't drop to 7th. I don't expect a long playoff run, but I can see us knocking off any of the other teams in the East at their place

DavemTFC
10-06-2019, 01:00 PM
It's not just our star players. There is no other playoff-bound MLS team that has 4 starters called up. I hope Vanney and Berhalter/Herdman have talked about managing their minutes.

Yeah I'll only be pissed if Bradley and or Altidore play significant minutes against Cuba. No way are they going to miss a competitive international at BMO Field, and for the spectacle of it I hope they don't

DavemTFC
10-06-2019, 03:02 PM
Morrow and Auro starting at FB
Endoh and Pozuelo (again!?) on the wings
Rest of the line up is as expected

ag futbol
10-06-2019, 03:12 PM
Looks like Vanney is going clubbing when this one is over 😂

ag futbol
10-06-2019, 03:24 PM
Morrow and Auro starting at FB
Endoh and Pozuelo (again!?) on the wings
Rest of the line up is as expected
I don’t get it. The best soccer we played this year was with Laryea and Benezet I’m the lineup.

For all Vanney’s pleading for wingers he refuses to play them.

notthesun
10-06-2019, 03:31 PM
Just getting in here before the Jordan Hamilton revenge tour gets underway...

GerMc
10-06-2019, 03:45 PM
Why is Pozuelo out wide right and Osorio is central? Wouldn’t the opposite make more sense?

notthesun
10-06-2019, 03:50 PM
Pozuelo needs to play in the hole. Give your best players the best opportunity to impact the game and fit the rest in around them.

Delgado is not gonna pick out through balls to Jozy while under pressure, I don't understand this. At the very least have Benezet there...

Inklink
10-06-2019, 04:00 PM
lmfao Bradley.

notthesun
10-06-2019, 04:05 PM
Auro is soooooo slow to make decisions. How many times has he just hit a first time cross behind the defensive line? Why does he always have to stop and let the defense reset...

Inklink
10-06-2019, 04:07 PM
LMFAO BRADLEY x2

At least it was kind of close the the net, which is rare for him.

ag futbol
10-06-2019, 04:08 PM
That was a heck of a second save. Not exactly ruthless work from Bradley in front of net though

notthesun
10-06-2019, 04:08 PM
Bradley just blast it near post my man...

RealG-TFC
10-06-2019, 04:19 PM
Poz out wide is making no sense to me. That's why we bought tam wingers.

Also Endoh's spastic play is sometimes difficult to watch.

tfcfans
10-06-2019, 04:20 PM
Now that Mtl is winning by 2 and Cinci has two red cards - a win for us likely gives us the worst possible 5th seed - frankly I’d rather finish 6th and not play a rested one seed if they actually beat DC which is more unlikely than beating Philly in my opinion.

Inklink
10-06-2019, 04:22 PM
WTF is going on with Cinci? 2 red cards in 3 mins.

ag futbol
10-06-2019, 04:23 PM
Now that Mtl is winning by 2 and Cinci has two red cards - a win for us likely gives us the worst possible 5th seed - frankly I’d rather finish 6th and not play a rested one seed if they actually beat DC which is more unlikely than beating Philly in my opinion.
Agreed

James17930
10-06-2019, 04:30 PM
I don't think we can worry about the seeding. We'll have to win 4 games on the road in the playoffs, and we'll just have to live with that.

What's up with the low attendance, though? Pretty disappointing.

Marauder2
10-06-2019, 04:30 PM
I don’t understand the tactics out there or what the game plan is. If you’re not going to rest Pozuelo, put him in the center and throw on your two TAM wingers and have a go at this team. We’re playing at home, and based on other scores we’ll probably finish 5-6 so just go out and play.

ag futbol
10-06-2019, 04:56 PM
I don’t understand the tactics out there or what the game plan is. If you’re not going to rest Pozuelo, put him in the center and throw on your two TAM wingers and have a go at this team. We’re playing at home, and based on other scores we’ll probably finish 5-6 so just go out and play.
The tactics are “Vanney’s ideal formation” .. how this makes best use of our players i’ll never know

notthesun
10-06-2019, 05:01 PM
lol goodbye playoff chances if that's it for Jozy

ag futbol
10-06-2019, 05:07 PM
Well, if we’re lucky it might be a home game. And if we’re luckier, Jozy will just be unlucky enough to sit out the international games and but be well rested for game 1 of the playoffs

James17930
10-06-2019, 05:13 PM
How have DC not scored?

ag futbol
10-06-2019, 05:21 PM
I don’t understand how you can turn into the ball like that and it not be a handball. Sure the arm is close to his body but he very much used it

rydermike
10-06-2019, 05:24 PM
Nice left foot shot by Mullins. Another great save by the keeper.

ag futbol
10-06-2019, 05:28 PM
Blow the whistle!

tfcfans
10-06-2019, 05:29 PM
WOW!!!! Down 2 men for the whole half on the road and they hold on — simply a stunning result....

James17930
10-06-2019, 05:29 PM
And it's actually a TFC home game.

Incredible.

ag futbol
10-06-2019, 05:30 PM
Nice. Hard to believe this is where we ended up given what things looked like 3 months ago

ensco
10-06-2019, 05:30 PM
Somebody send Hagglund a bottle of Dom Perignon. He just made MLSE a couple of million bucks.

James17930
10-06-2019, 05:33 PM
Somebody send Hagglund a bottle of Dom Perignon. He just made MLSE a couple of million bucks.

Once a Red, always a Red.

rydermike
10-06-2019, 05:36 PM
Hagglund doesn't even play for us anymore and he's still more useful than Zavaleta

notthesun
10-06-2019, 05:43 PM
Wow. Cannot believe we came out of today, and this season really, with home field advantage to start the playoffs.

benito
10-06-2019, 05:43 PM
Hagglund doesn't even play for us anymore and he's still more useful than Zavaleta

lol ��

barticusz
10-06-2019, 05:45 PM
Hope Altidore's injury isn't serious. Great finish to the season though. This team really turned it around and made it really hard for others to beat us. Awesome that we'll get a home playoff game.

ensco
10-06-2019, 05:45 PM
What an epic face plant by DCU. Played the entire second half up two men, at home, against one of the worst teams ever in MLS.

Make that two bottles of champagne!

DavemTFC
10-06-2019, 05:48 PM
Bradley just blast it near post my man...

One of the Cbus defenders got back to block on the line which is I think why Bradley went for the far post instead

I'm in disbelief not because we won (which really is all we could control and all we could really ask for) but because even without Rooney I'd expect DC to find a winner playing a 9-man Cincy for an entire half

I still don't have much expectations for the playoffs especially with a potentially serious injury to Altidore and Pozuelo looking like he's going to collapse any second but great job by the team today.

I still fear DC even if we dominated them at our earlier home game. Their defense is really good and will keep them in any game, an away game almost suits them better. Plus they'll actually have Rooney available too

DavemTFC
10-06-2019, 05:49 PM
Brilliant :scarf:

rydermike
10-06-2019, 05:52 PM
What an epic face plant by DCU. Played the entire second half up two men, at home, against one of the worst teams ever in MLS.

Make that two bottles of champagne!
Two bottles indeed. Hagglund got us GAM, TAM, Omar Gonzalez, and a home playoff game

OgtheDim
10-06-2019, 05:52 PM
Felt like a playoff game. Defence was very very good.

James17930
10-06-2019, 05:53 PM
Hope Altidore's injury isn't serious. Great finish to the season though. This team really turned it around and made it really hard for others to beat us. Awesome that we'll get a home playoff game.

Conspiracy theory:

He's faking it so he doesn't have to play in the US games and is fresh for the playoffs.

Oldtimer
10-06-2019, 05:58 PM
Good free flowing attacking football, I like how Vanney has got the team all on the same page.

It was good to see Benezet finally get back in from injury. He's a good flair player who makes everyone around him better. When he was subbed for Endoh, the difference was noticeable. Endoh brings a lot of speed, but Benezet brings vision and superior ball skills.

stevep
10-06-2019, 06:01 PM
Conspiracy theory:

He's faking it so he doesn't have to play in the US games and is fresh for the playoffs.

That thought hit me a few minutes ago.
Yes, but don't tell anyone.

stevep
10-06-2019, 06:02 PM
Good free flowing attacking football, I like how Vanney has got the team all on the same page.

It was good to see Benezet finally get back in from injury. He's a good flair player who makes everyone around him better. When he was subbed for Endoh, the difference was noticeable. Endoh brings a lot of speed, but Benezet brings vision and superior ball skills.
I was calling for that move at halftime.
I think the endoh move for benezet is over

tfcfans
10-06-2019, 06:06 PM
Scheduling note — both the Seattle Seahawks and the Atlanta Falcons have home games on the 20th which to me means they would play on the 19th (so far MLS lists the first round as two games on Saturday and four on Sunday) - looking like a Sunday afternoon game on the 20th in Toronto I would imagine as a result....

Mikmacdo
10-06-2019, 06:10 PM
Good result, the defense looked better than it has most of the season.

I like Endoh but I think Benezet should start. What is Jozy cant go? Maybe Endoh, Benezet and Poz up front?

GerMc
10-06-2019, 06:22 PM
That was a perfect storm of fabulousness. I still think 6th was an easier path to MLS Cup, but I will take the playoff home game. In addition to that, when the players were throwing those mini balls out at the end of the game, Laryea pointed at my son and threw it in his general direction. And the gentleman who caught it (who was truly a gentleman) gave it to him. And it was signed!

Expectations genuinely exceeded tonight :-)

DavemTFC
10-06-2019, 06:59 PM
If Benezet is fully healthy he should definitely start, but then Endoh should go to right wing, Pozuelo should drop back to midfield, and Osorio should be the super-sub

If Jozy is hurt, it'll probably be Oso in midfield and, for better or worse, Poz as a false nine. Mullins starting would be more natural, but not sure Vanney will trust him to start a playoff game, and not sure I would either

Also Laryea at right back please. And honestly Auro at LB. I'm really sad to say it, but I think Morrow is past it. And Auro has been arguably better at LB than his natural position, maybe because it's more natural for him to do that annoying "immediately stop moving once you get the ball" thing he always does

Yuushalinsky
10-06-2019, 06:59 PM
Good result, the defense looked better than it has most of the season.

I like Endoh but I think Benezet should start. What is Jozy cant go? Maybe Endoh, Benezet and Poz up front?

Can Endoh bring the same amount of physicality? I think his skills are pretty top notch but if we're going for finesse, Gallardo might even be better.

Initial B
10-06-2019, 07:04 PM
How often has fortune ever favoured TFC? The best outcome we could hope for in terms of playoff seeding and the chance to watch Rooney play his last game in MLS.

ag futbol
10-06-2019, 07:05 PM
The difference between Endoh and Gallardo is Endoh has a good sense of when he should pop inside and show for a pass or start working the inside channel. Gallardo looks purely like a guy who wants to drive for the touch line and bang a cross or a direct ball to the striker. Useful of course but not quite as versatile.

ag futbol
10-06-2019, 07:09 PM
Also Laryea at right back please. And honestly Auro at LB. I'm really sad to say it, but I think Morrow is past it. And Auro has been arguably better at LB than his natural position, maybe because it's more natural for him to do that annoying "immediately stop moving once you get the ball" thing he always does
Agree Laryea > Auro. But I think you find another LB option in the off season. It’s noticeable how little trust Morrow has from his teammates when we have the ball. Good servant to TFC over the years but we need someone more versatile in that spot if we’re going to continue to stick with this crazy formation.

I see Auro as a backup for either fullback spot, which is useful.

ManUtd4ever
10-06-2019, 07:21 PM
Perfect results all around today, other than Jozy's injury. I hope he'll be available against DCU.

OgtheDim
10-06-2019, 07:41 PM
DCU is going to bunker but their attack is pretty much all through the middle.

RB is not going to be the issue.

Cuchulain
10-06-2019, 07:43 PM
Could have easily been 3-0 today. Our team is looking good at the right time. I like our chances against D.C.

James17930
10-06-2019, 08:18 PM
Hold on, I'm confused.

On the MLS website it shows that the winner of us and DC play NYC, regardless of the winners of the other two matches.

Is that right? And if so, why?

OgtheDim
10-06-2019, 08:26 PM
Hold on, I'm confused.

On the MLS website it shows that the winner of us and DC play NYC, regardless of the winners of the other two matches.

Cause Americans are addicted to brackets.

This will likely only get changed once a team in 4th or 5th that has a lot of media pull gets skrewed as the 6th & 7th place teams both win. You might here a bit of whining if LAG won & both Portland & Dallas did but as LAG winning pits them against LAFC, nobody in the league is going to complain - us & DCU don't really care.

ag futbol
10-06-2019, 08:26 PM
Hold on, I'm confused.

It’s a bracket. They don’t automatically re-shuffle pairing the hghtest and lowest ranked team in each round

NYC gets a first round bye as the top seeded team

TFC1986
10-06-2019, 08:28 PM
That's correct!

Hold on, I'm confused.

TFC1986
10-06-2019, 08:37 PM
Highest seed will play the lowest seeded team.
The other teams Atlanta(2) or Philly(3) are more likely to advance. Which allows the better team to have more home field advantage

East Coast Red
10-06-2019, 08:39 PM

I see Auro being moved on in the summer. he just isn't up to MLS standard.

James17930
10-06-2019, 09:08 PM
I guess so.

Just seems weird to me.

Mikmacdo
10-06-2019, 09:42 PM
I see Auro being moved on in the summer. he just isn't up to MLS standard.
Hes ranked as the third best player on tfc from whoscored.com on the season.

Ultra & Proud
10-06-2019, 09:58 PM
Hes ranked as the third best player on tfc from whoscored.com on the season.

I don't get that line of thinking either. He's fine. Only major problem with Auro is that he sometimes drifts inside and leaves acres of space but his defense has improved all season. He made a few fine interventions today.

Red CB Toronto
10-06-2019, 10:27 PM
TFC certainly drew the short end of the stick on this one. Its a 12 noon kickoff vs DC in the opening round of th playoffs at BMO Field on Saturday, October 19th as per the schedule on the MLS's website.

Oldtimer
10-06-2019, 11:03 PM
TFC certainly drew the short end of the stick on this one. Its a 12 noon kickoff vs DC in the opening round of th playoffs at BMO Field on Saturday, October 19th as per the schedule on the MLS's website.

That's a placeholder. The actual date and time are subject to change. The club said in an email that the date and time will be set in the next few days.

Red CB Toronto
10-06-2019, 11:16 PM
That's a placeholder. The actual date and time are subject to change. The club said in an email that the date and time will be set in the next few days.

It said shortly, the TFC website has now been updated. Big factors here are that Seattle and Atlanta have to play on the Saturday due to NFL home game the next day. They are both playing relatively at the same time on the Saturday 3 pm and 3:30 pm due to the fields needing to be prepared for the NFL. There is a lot setup for the TV networks etc. Also on this side of the border TSN already has CFL games on at 4 and 7 pm.

Blindside16
10-07-2019, 02:46 AM
That game time is a joke. We should have been slotted into a 5pm Sunday afternoon slot. I understand the need for Seattle and Atlanta to be played when they are. There would be no conflict with anything, the Redskins are in Miami for a 1pm kickoff. The only possible conflict might be the Nationals if they are still going then.

What irks me most is I have a family function on that Saturday and now I will have to miss this game. Looks like I will be putting my 2 tickets up for sale

Auzzy
10-07-2019, 02:59 AM
Could have easily been 3-0 today. Our team is looking good at the right time. I like our chances against D.C.

We gotta be honest, Columbus also had a bunch of good opportunities. Normally they might put away one or more of those. Both goalies stood on their head. In addition to coming out sharply on a number of Crew chances, Westberg got his fingertips on the great shot by Diaz, otherwise that probably hits the underside of the bar & goes in. Both teams were a bit lucky on D, and a bit unlucky on offense.

On the balance of play, the result is certainly fair. TFC had the edge on possession, shots etc. But that game could have gone either way, and I expect playoffs to be similar. A team with better finishing will be hard for TFC to handle. Hopefully Jozy can shift into his playoff clutch mode. He's getting an MRI for quad problems after going down awkwardly -- fingers crossed that works out OK!!

Benezet helped to rejuvenate TFC when he came on. But I absolutely don't understand why Gallardo or Shaffelburg don't get a sniff, e.g. after Altidore had to come off.

Playoff game at noon: LOL.

DavemTFC
10-07-2019, 04:01 AM
Agree Laryea > Auro. But I think you find another LB option in the off season. It’s noticeable how little trust Morrow has from his teammates when we have the ball. Good servant to TFC over the years but we need someone more versatile in that spot if we’re going to continue to stick with this crazy formation.

Oh I totally agree with this. For however many games we have left this season though I'd rather Auro at LB

Initial B
10-07-2019, 07:02 AM
Cause Americans are addicted to brackets.
It's not just that - I can see once the league gets to 28 teams that they will have a full 16 teams in the playoffs. Then the brackets won't matter as much as they'll have the winner of #1 vs #8 play the winner of #4 vs #5, while 2/7 and 3/6 play as currently formatted. That's about as balanced as the NHL. And once the brackets are set, it gives teams more surety as to who they will be facing in the next round so they can plan tactics and ticket art ahead of time. Seriously, MLS couldn't ask for a better western bracket as the second round could see both the Traffico and Cascadia rivalries go head to head. They want a repeat of the 2016 Toronto-Montreal clash.

DinamoTFC
10-07-2019, 07:48 AM

hahaha

C.Ronaldo
10-07-2019, 09:30 AM
The difference between Endoh and Gallardo is Endoh has a good sense of when he should pop inside and show for a pass or start working the inside channel. Gallardo looks purely like a guy who wants to drive for the touch line and bang a cross or a direct ball to the striker. Useful of course but not quite as versatile.

havent seen if gallardo can shoot from distance, but endoh sure can;. which is why that inside cut becomes so valuable

Canary10
10-07-2019, 09:42 AM
Their goalkeeper played brilliantly. I honestly don't know how he saved that chance from Bradley. Need to keep an eye on that guy.

OgtheDim
10-07-2019, 11:32 AM
Their goalkeeper played brilliantly. I honestly don't know how he saved that chance from Bradley. Need to keep an eye on that guy.

He was the keeper for Curucao in the Gold Cup - a really good pickup.

pfk
10-07-2019, 01:07 PM

He was excellent for Columbus. That save on Bradley was a Save of the Year candidate. He also saved Mullins' shot with his arm and that was going in.

ag futbol
10-07-2019, 01:38 PM
He was excellent for Columbus. That save on Bradley was a Save of the Year candidate. He also saved Mullins' shot with his arm and that was going in.
He saved that? Wow, thought it went straight off the post.

Agreed he played really well. Wrong footed on the Poz goal but with someone like that taking the shot from dead centre of the 18 it’s a tough one.

Good game from Westburg too I thought

OgtheDim
10-07-2019, 01:45 PM

That one shot in the second half that pinged off the crossbar - Westberg tipped it onto the bar

pfk
10-07-2019, 01:50 PM
He saved that? Wow, thought it went straight off the post.

Agreed he played really well. Wrong footed on the Poz goal but with someone like that taking the shot from dead centre of the 18 it’s a tough one.

I was chatting about this shot in the 94th minute https://youtu.be/2fn9TL4lqeE?t=262

Mullins hit the post in the next sequence shortly after.

Canary10
10-07-2019, 04:05 PM
He was the keeper for Curucao in the Gold Cup - a really good pickup.

Wow really! Interesting. I'd never heard of him before.

Fort York Redcoat
10-07-2019, 07:35 PM

Enjoy your two games.

Can't wait.

Don't blame the tournament. It's in the window. Blame the League. It knew where the window was.

stevep
10-07-2019, 07:40 PM
Can't wait.

Don't blame the tournament. It's in the window. Blame the League. It knew where the window was.

its fine, i dont think it is going to be a big issue as i am pretty sure jozy is not going to play in the tournament
if oso plays no big deal marky most likely will start as well as benezet, oso would just be coming on as a sub anyways
and bradley should be fine on 3 days rest, maybe he only plays half the game, then as vanney says its just equivalent to a training session.

Areathrasher
10-07-2019, 08:45 PM

https://media3.giphy.com/media/9t6xpYZ9npJmM/giphy.gif?cid=790b7611381657e53fb940c229a3317309b2 971dccbcedd8&rid=giphy.gif

MightyDM
10-08-2019, 02:12 PM
Why is Pozuelo out wide right and Osorio is central? Wouldn’t the opposite make more sense?

Defensive workrate and system effectiveness. LAFC game proved to Vanney that he needs Oso and Marky in the "3"

OgtheDim
10-13-2019, 10:20 PM
Final note

Anybody else notice how nobody even acknowledged the presence of the Trillium Cup?

It was sitting there and it might as well have been wallpaper for all anybody noticed.

I think its time to retire that thing.

PizzaEatingYeti
10-14-2019, 02:48 AM
Final note

Anybody else notice how nobody even acknowledged the presence of the Trillium Cup?

It was sitting there and it might as well have been wallpaper for all anybody noticed.

I think its time to retire that thing.

To retire it is overdue forever... since the Montreal Limp Act played their first game in the MLS.

James17930
10-14-2019, 02:59 AM
To retire it is overdue forever... since the Montreal Limp Act played their first game in the MLS.

It should just be 'donated' to the Ohio Derby (I refuse to call it by its 'official', really stupid name).

OgtheDim
10-14-2019, 09:12 AM
The Hell is Real Derby is an authentic name that the supporters came up with - as is El Traffico.

James17930
10-14-2019, 06:12 PM
The Hell is Real Derby is an authentic name that the supporters came up with - as is El Traffico.

I know, but that's what makes it even sadder.

'Hell is Real'? It's like something a 14-year-old edgelord would think was cool.

OgtheDim
10-14-2019, 06:25 PM
I know, but that's what makes it even sadder.

'Hell is Real'? It's like something a 14-year-old edgelord would think was cool.

Its from a billboard on the highway between the two towns.

https://www.dispatch.com/sports/20190809/how-hell-is-real-rivalry-between-columbus-crew-and-fc-cincinnati-got-its-name

James17930
10-14-2019, 09:05 PM
Its from a billboard on the highway between the two towns.

https://www.dispatch.com/sports/20190809/how-hell-is-real-rivalry-between-columbus-crew-and-fc-cincinnati-got-its-name

Okay.

Still super lame.

Much like both their teams.