PDA

View Full Version : Voyaguers Cup Final 2nd Leg - IMFC @ TFC Wed Sept 25 7:30pm - I Want It All

OgtheDim
09-20-2019, 07:47 PM
Give me Something to Feel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COlFD7OCUrA

Have at It People

PizzaEatingYeti
09-21-2019, 05:02 AM
To get the Cup we must beat Montreal by at least 2 goals, in regulation time or overtime.
That will be incredibly difficult... because:

- When was the last time TFC won at home with at least 2 goals difference?
On July 7 (3-1 with the Red Bulls)

- How many games TFC had since at home with MLS opponents?
5 (Houston, Cincinnati, Orlando, Montreal, Colorado)

- Digging even further:
In this whole season, from a total of 16 MLS home matches, TFC won just twice with a difference of at least 2 goals (this is shocking!)

- For Montreal winning the Cup is the difference between an acceptable season and a disaster season.

PS: To have any shot at the Cup, TFC needs to get at least 3 goals, because our defence can get a clean sheet just in Footy Dreamland.

Sorry if all this sounds a bit pessimistic, but it's just a cold analysis of the stats.

SPALE
09-21-2019, 09:16 AM
To get the Cup we must beat Montreal by at least 2 goals, in regulation time or overtime.

- Digging even further:
In this whole season, from a total of 16 MLS home matches, TFC won just twice with a difference of at least 2 goals (this is shocking!)

- For Montreal winning the Cup is the difference between an acceptable season and a disaster season.

PS: To have any shot at the Cup, TFC needs to get at least 3 goals, because our defence can get a clean sheet just in Footy Dreamland.

Sorry if all this sounds a bit pessimistic, but it's just a cold analysis of the stats.

All true. But I don’t see why it can’t be done. We played a Huston game type lineup against the pretty much the best the impact had to offer. at their own park. Minus The GK change and what not. We still managed to stay with them. Our back 4 only had one regular in it as did the MF The impact slowed right down and that was just by putting poz. And Jozy in. I think we can put 3 in for sure As for the clean sheet history tells us that’s not going to happen. But I think we can put 3 in for sure. They had solid chances to put 3 or 4 away and they didn’t. But we also had 3 or 4 solid chances as well to make it a draw. I think a 3-1 reds win is exactly what we will see Wednesday night.

James17930
09-21-2019, 08:48 PM
We will annihilate them. I'm not worried.

OgtheDim
09-21-2019, 08:55 PM
I'm only worried about guys being tired - they looked it on Wednesday. They are going to look it tonight against a team that didn't play midweek.

If they put it all on the line on Wednesday, fair enough.

langilleski
09-23-2019, 09:47 AM
I'm only worried about guys being tired - they looked it on Wednesday. They are going to look it tonight against a team that didn't play midweek.

If they put it all on the line on Wednesday, fair enough.

Do we know if they used a charter after saturdays game?

Graeme
09-23-2019, 10:56 AM

They looked pretty damned awesome on Saturday. If that game is what it takes to re-active TFC, I'm all for it.

pfk
09-23-2019, 11:19 AM
A mix of sun and cloud on Wednesday with 30% chance of showers. Good Impact-beating weather.

3-0 for the good guys.

Joe Kool
09-23-2019, 11:49 AM
Hope Benezet is ok and available since we are more dangerous with him. Is Gallardo ever going to get into full game shape before the end of season? Should we start his 2020 preseason now? Would be great to see a similar lineup and performance to Saturday's game but not sure how it will be. Depends on how everyone was after the game and if they can recover. Really need to take it to the Impact on Wednesday so we don't rely on late game heroics or anything.

Initial B
09-23-2019, 11:54 AM
The reason I think Montreal will win is because they will be absolutely, totally desperate and most of them will be playing for their jobs on Wednesday and will be an order of magnitude more intense than TFC. I wouldn't be surprised if Saputo axes 90% of the club contracts at the end of the season.

Ultra & Proud
09-23-2019, 12:03 PM
The reason I think Montreal will win is because they will be absolutely, totally desperate and most of them will be playing for their jobs on Wednesday
I would agree but that's something that they don't look concerned about now. It looks like quite a few of them would welcome the Joey axe.

KingLedley
09-23-2019, 03:21 PM
I think TFC will start fast and get 2 goals already in the first 30 minutes. Even though Impact are desperate, they won't have Taider and possibly not Borjan. So it will be down to in Piatti to do something magical in this, his probable Voyageurs swansong. We should be fine after 90 minutes. I am ready to celebrate

Section_105
09-23-2019, 04:21 PM
In the LA game I was worried until the final minutes about giving up a goal. This team knows how to do that. So I face wednesday with the same trepidation. 1 goal from them and we need 3. So. I'm hopeful but fearful.

MightyDM
09-23-2019, 05:27 PM
Hope Benezet is ok and available since we are more dangerous with him. Is Gallardo ever going to get into full game shape before the end of season? Should we start his 2020 preseason now? Would be great to see a similar lineup and performance to Saturday's game but not sure how it will be. Depends on how everyone was after the game and if they can recover. Really need to take it to the Impact on Wednesday so we don't rely on late game heroics or anything.

There will be more Canadians. Morgan starts likely. Maybe Shaff. And I don’t think Benezet will be ready - maybe in Chicago.

Oldtimer
09-23-2019, 06:47 PM
In the LA game I was worried until the final minutes about giving up a goal. This team knows how to do that. So I face wednesday with the same trepidation. 1 goal from them and we need 3. So. I'm hopeful but fearful.

I expect that most of us will be quite nervous until the end unless TFC goes up 3-0 earlier.

It's hard to decipher how Montreal will play. Are the players discouraged, ready to throw in the towel? Or will they play all out for their jobs? I honestly could see either scenario and either team winning.

OgtheDim
09-23-2019, 06:54 PM
I thinks the Canadian content is Laryea, Morgan & Osorio. Apart from that, with the exception of Bono, I think it the starters, even on defence.

Mikmacdo
09-23-2019, 07:21 PM
I would start
Bono
Laryea-Omar-Ciman-Morrow
Osorio-Bradley-Poz
Endoh-Jozy-Shaff

Bring Benezet off the bench for the Shaff at the half.

pfk
09-24-2019, 09:27 AM
It will be Bono's 99th start for TFC, tying Stefan Frei.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tfc/comments/d8ndrn/waking_the_red_alex_bono_is_expected_to_make_his/

MightyDM
09-24-2019, 11:34 AM
I would start
Bono
Laryea-Omar-Ciman-Morrow
Osorio-Bradley-Poz
Endoh-Jozy-Shaff

Bring Benezet off the bench for the Shaff at the half.

I would rest Poz and put in Benezet. But I don’t think he will be ready.

OgtheDim
09-24-2019, 03:03 PM
I know this should go without saying but to anybody not sure about going tomorrow -

GET YOUR ASSES DOWN THERE TOMORROW NIGHT & BRING IT FOR 90.

Mikmacdo
09-24-2019, 03:19 PM
I would rest Poz and put in Benezet. But I don’t think he will be ready.
Rest out best player in a final? NO!

rydermike
09-24-2019, 03:33 PM
"There is no opponent that Toronto FC have played more often, beaten more often, or scored against with higher frequency than the Montreal Impact (https://www.sbnation.com/soccer/mls/teams/montreal-impact)."

https://www.wakingthered.com/2019/9/17/20870745/by-the-numbers-toronto-fc-rolling-in-mls-and-voyageurs-cup-montreal-preview

613reppingTFC
09-24-2019, 03:40 PM
I know this should go without saying but to anybody not sure about going tomorrow -

I think you are right, this is one game i might want to travel 3 hours to take in..watch them raise the cup!

Joe Kool
09-24-2019, 03:40 PM

Would be great to see everyone actually in their seat for kickoff too. Just for a change. Don't have to tell many on this board probably since most of us probably are so likely wasting my time saying this but would be amazing to see that. I know it won't happen but I can dream can't I? Just to have the stadium rocking from the start instead of filling in slowly over the first half. It always amazes me to see from my perch at the top of the south end how many people are leisurely walking to the stadium still from the parking lots or GO station while the game is already underway. It is tough commute sometimes during the week but we know that way TO is....I wish more people would plan for it if that is their excuse. Crappy workplaces that don't let their people go early enough are excused...if that is you sorry to hear that.

pfk
09-24-2019, 04:14 PM
Would be great to see everyone actually in their seat for kickoff too. Just for a change. Don't have to tell many on this board probably since most of us probably are so likely wasting my time saying this but would be amazing to see that. I know it won't happen but I can dream can't I? Just to have the stadium rocking from the start instead of filling in slowly over the first half. It always amazes me to see from my perch at the top of the south end how many people are leisurely walking to the stadium still from the parking lots or GO station while the game is already underway. It is tough commute sometimes during the week but we know that way TO is....I wish more people would plan for it if that is their excuse. Crappy workplaces that don't let their people go early enough are excused...if that is you sorry to hear that.

I agree with you that the stadium should be full at the start of the game. I haven't seen it full at kickoff once, not even the MLS Cup. Even on weekend games with fewer work committments for fans, some will rock up mid way through the first half.

I'll be there on time tomorrow. :)

MightyDM
09-24-2019, 05:22 PM
Rest out best player in a final? NO!

he looked done against LA. Even athletes this good can hit a wall.

TFC1986
09-24-2019, 06:00 PM
I agree with you that the stadium should be full at the start of the game. I haven't seen it full at kickoff once, not even the MLS Cup. Even on weekend games with fewer work committments for fans, some will rock up mid way through the first half.

I'll be there on time tomorrow. :)
That's me :)

CBTFC
09-25-2019, 07:28 AM
Looks like we're in for some warm-ish and windy weather for game time. Somewhere around 20-22 degrees, with a gusty wind from the south/southwest at 29km/h and gusts up to 44km/h.

Hold onto your hats!:drum::flare::scarf:

James17930
09-25-2019, 08:42 AM
So there's no hope of getting a stream for this, right?

OgtheDim
09-25-2019, 08:53 AM
So there's no hope of getting a stream for this, right?

Pretty much - One Soccer isn't being picked up yet by the usual stream merchants.

James17930
09-25-2019, 09:04 AM
Pretty much - One Soccer isn't being picked up yet by the usual stream merchants.

Nerts.

JuliquE
09-25-2019, 09:19 AM
Nerts.
In the same boat; disheartening, to say the least.

Chubbs
09-25-2019, 09:24 AM
OneSoccer gives a free 1-month trial

Oldtimer
09-25-2019, 09:28 AM
OneSoccer gives a free 1-month trial

If you've used up the free trial you can buy a one day pass for less than a BMO beer.

Ultra & Proud
09-25-2019, 09:55 AM
If you've used up the free trial you can buy a one day pass for less than a BMO beer.
It's like $5 or something. Worth it if you can't make it but hopefully the feed doesn't go down.

My problem with Onesoccer is that it's 100% bush league. Shitty feeds, poor cameras, & horrible commentators. I'm not sure they could have made it worse. It's barely better than the TFC2 streams they put up on YouTube for free. Until they beef up the quality I'm not buying in. It's half the cost of DAZN but about 100 times shittier in production values and content.

PizzaEatingYeti
09-25-2019, 10:35 AM
In the same boat; disheartening, to say the least.

Same situation here... desperate for a stream.
But I'm still hoping maybe some more obscure site will stream-it for free.

Anyways, if I'm finding something I will post it for sure.
I'm asking you guys to do the same, if you're luckier than me.

Ultra & Proud
09-25-2019, 10:38 AM
Same situation here... desperate for a stream.
But I'm still hoping maybe some more obscure site will stream-it for free.

Anyways, if I'm finding something I will post it for sure.
I'm asking you guys to do the same, if you're luckier than me.

I found some Spanish site streaming it for the Ottawa away match.

FYI - It was a gambling site. The window with the match was very small and not enlargeable but I could see it. Just a courtesy thing for Spanish degenerate gamblers who bet on leagues and tourneys they know nothing about.

Richard
09-25-2019, 10:48 AM
^^^^^^
Ladies and gentlemen, the state of Canadian soccer broadcasting.

They really got to have these games on CBC.

mowe
09-25-2019, 11:01 AM
Nothing better than the Voyageurs Cup. Bring on Montreal.

Ultra & Proud
09-25-2019, 11:03 AM
^^^^^^
Ladies and gentlemen, the state of Canadian soccer broadcasting.

They really got to have these games on CBC.

People barely attend these in person much less watch on TV so I can't see CBC or anybody else going out of their way to acquire the rights to the matches. Plus I doubt Onesoccer would sell as this and the CMNT matches are the main carrots they have to force people to buy in.

DIEHARDTFC
09-25-2019, 11:47 AM
Wish I could be there, have the first match of my own season this evening though.

Fairly confident we will win with ease and have some more late Feb/early Mar footy at BMO with the CCL next year.

Ultra & Proud
09-25-2019, 12:07 PM
If we can play at about 70% of the level we showed last Saturday we cakewalk this thing. The hope is that Vanney can inspire and our players realize what is needed from now until November (hopefully).

We play like we did last Saturday and only a small selection of teams could match it in their own stadiums and none could handle it here, not that we'll get a chance to play here in the playoffs but whatever.

C.Ronaldo
09-25-2019, 12:49 PM
yah , ill be paying for this one

PaceyWinger
09-25-2019, 01:12 PM
Not finding an away goal makes this a bit more nervy than it should be. Just thinking of a potential 2-0 lead going into the last 10 mins is stressfull. Also the idea that once again, we will see an opponent park the bus and then try to pick us off on the counter..

DavemTFC
09-25-2019, 01:14 PM
OneSoccer voyageurs cup streams work outside Canada right? Because if not I'll be out of luck

dal524
09-25-2019, 01:15 PM
signed up for the trial...cant miss the final leg!

MightyDM
09-25-2019, 01:36 PM
People barely attend these in person much less watch on TV so I can't see CBC or anybody else going out of their way to acquire the rights to the matches. Plus I doubt Onesoccer would sell as this and the CMNT matches are the main carrots they have to force people to buy in.

There was a time that the rules of having a broadcast license for the public airwaves required the broadcasting of events like this. But it seems that the CRTC doesn’t do that any more.

MightyDM
09-25-2019, 01:37 PM
Wish I could be there, have the first match of my own season this evening though.

Fairly confident we will win with ease and have some more late Feb/early Mar footy at BMO with the CCL next year.

Not “DieHard “ really eh? ;)

Oldtimer
09-25-2019, 02:14 PM
OneSoccer voyageurs cup streams work outside Canada right? Because if not I'll be out of luck

They are not Geo blocked. If you have a good connection it should work.

Luanda
09-25-2019, 02:22 PM
They are not Geo blocked. If you have a good connection it should work.

Last time I used a site from Bulgaria via VPN.

Oldtimer
09-25-2019, 02:57 PM
Last time I used a site from Bulgaria via VPN.

You shouldn't need a VPN for OneSoccer.ca unless your local access is restricted (eg corporate policy).

Defoe
09-25-2019, 03:22 PM
Biggest game of the year not on T.V... but NYCFC vs Atlanta is on TSN. Insanity

Oldtimer
09-25-2019, 03:44 PM
Biggest game of the year not on T.V... but NYCFC vs Atlanta is on TSN. Insanity

Onesoccer has the rights to the Canadian Championship. TSn couldn't play it if they wanted. Onesoccer got the rights because they were able to play all the games (for example AS Blainville v. York9, Vaughan Azzuri v. HFX Wanderers). No way TSN would have done that.

C.Ronaldo
09-25-2019, 03:47 PM
Onesoccer has the rights to the Canadian Championship. TSn couldn't play it if they wanted. Onesoccer got the rights because they were able to play all the games (for example AS Blainville v. York9, Vaughan Azzuri v. HFX Wanderers). No way TSN would have done that.

TSN could have piggy backed on the stream. The interest just isnt there

I sadly predict a half empty stadium.

its my fav games (even though i cant make this one)

barticusz
09-25-2019, 04:48 PM
I’m going to have to get the one day pass as well. Really want to watch this match. Hope the quality isn’t rubbish.

Joe Kool
09-25-2019, 06:21 PM
Stadium turnout is poor so far. Not impressed. Even supporter section is light. Wonder how it feels for our team to warm up in an empty stadium. Hopefully doesn’t phase them.

Oldtimer
09-25-2019, 06:24 PM
Decent sized support from MTL for a Wednesday.

Oldtimer
09-25-2019, 06:26 PM
Laryea, Morgan and Oso Canadian starters.

OgtheDim
09-25-2019, 06:29 PM
It's their cup final.

Yeah not great pre Game except 112 & 114.

Its the diehards here tonight.

Mikmacdo
09-25-2019, 07:23 PM
Laryea flopping again... Smh.

Oldtimer
09-25-2019, 07:28 PM
Frustrating first half.

OgtheDim
09-25-2019, 07:31 PM
Bus being parked. Piette is having a very good game clogging up the passing lanes. Needs more speed of ball movement.

Looks like Morrow coming on.

DavemTFC
09-25-2019, 07:42 PM
Might need to bring a second actual winger on, TFC have gotten into some good positions but often Montreal will just go into a compact shell and the danger's gone. Jozy's going to score eventually if he keeps getting chances. Both teams are up for it tonight, especially defensively. Wheeler has gotten better as a commentator since spring. Still bad, but better

RedsYNWA
09-25-2019, 07:52 PM
ZERO shots on target from TFC :sad:

PaceyWinger
09-25-2019, 08:03 PM
not finding that away goal is so dangerous right now.

rydermike
09-25-2019, 08:10 PM
Just got home, no onesoccer, but see Endoh just scored. Woo. Guess Montreal can't park the bus anymore

tfcfans
09-25-2019, 08:13 PM
For those with the benefit of replay - penalty or not? (And the one in our end?)

PaceyWinger
09-25-2019, 08:18 PM
definitely a missed hand ball and no contact at all on Pozuelo.

sn0re
09-25-2019, 08:23 PM
Mavinga red card....

benito
09-25-2019, 08:27 PM
Is there extra time or straight to pk?

General Woolfe
09-25-2019, 08:27 PM
Might need to bring a second actual winger on, TFC have gotten into some good positions but often Montreal will just go into a compact shell and the danger's gone. Jozy's going to score eventually if he keeps getting chances. Both teams are up for it tonight, especially defensively. Wheeler has gotten better as a commentator since spring. Still bad, but better
Where are you listening to him?

PaceyWinger
09-25-2019, 08:29 PM
stright to pk

PaceyWinger
09-25-2019, 08:32 PM
180 minutes and 1 goal against MTL. Not good.

Initial B
09-25-2019, 08:34 PM
What's up with Mavinga? He seems to be losing his composure towards the end of games. Maybe Vanney needs to start pulling him out of the game around the 80th minute.

Looks like it's pucker time. I can't watch. Literally. :(

OgtheDim
09-25-2019, 08:35 PM
I hate this stuff

leafsman
09-25-2019, 08:35 PM
Win or lose no ot is a joke. Hope we win this bs

flambe
09-25-2019, 08:37 PM
Poz with the first penalty and he gets it.

DavemTFC
I hate this straight to penalties thing that Concacaf (edit: and concacaf countries) seems to love.

I'm preparing myself mentally for a PK loss which would probably be karmic retribution for Auro's Maradona impresison

rydermike
anyone want to post pk updates?

flambe
Bojan equals it up.
1:1

Altidore next up.

flambe
09-25-2019, 08:38 PM
Jozy hits the post and out

rydermike
09-25-2019, 08:38 PM
Toronto shot first right?

PaceyWinger
09-25-2019, 08:39 PM
and thats why TFC should never ever play for penalties

flambe
09-25-2019, 08:39 PM
Lovitz up next, and he gets it, 2:1 L'impact

flambe
09-25-2019, 08:40 PM
Mullins saved, fuck nuggets

rydermike
Have we ever won a pk shootout?

flambe
3:1 Montreal, game over

flambe
09-25-2019, 08:41 PM
Osario misses, Montreal win

Initial B
09-25-2019, 08:41 PM
:hulk:Are you freaking kidding me?!?!?!?:hulk:

portu
09-25-2019, 08:42 PM
This is a joke. Practice penalties.

rydermike
09-25-2019, 08:42 PM
3 misses wow. We need to do some Paul Mariner youtube scouting on players who can take penalties

PaceyWinger
09-25-2019, 08:43 PM
I don't know man.. 180 minutes and only breaking them down once... then missing 3 of 4 penalties...... like. what? Better make this playoff run special. the body language on our squad was terrible.

Oldtimer
09-25-2019, 08:45 PM
Bono shows why Westberg should remain the starter.

SoccMan2
09-25-2019, 08:46 PM
If this team does not get to at least the eastern conference final they Vanney out and another loss season .

leafsman
Canadian media will love this. Why doesn't anyone call them out on this joke format.

Defoe
No champions league. :facepalm:

I'd rather be in Champions league over MLS cup playoffs to be honest. The goal has to be the best on the continent not just the league

RealG-TFC
Bono shows why Westberg should remain the starter.

Vanney should have saved the Mullins sub for Westberg at 90.

DavemTFC
09-25-2019, 08:50 PM
The Jozy miss set the tone. Sad to say it's pretty tough to win a shootout if Oso and Bradley are your last two takers. This club legitimately has to be one of the world's worst at penalties.

Oldtimer
09-25-2019, 08:51 PM
If this team does not get to at least the eastern conference final they Vanney out and another loss season .

Vanney's strategy was fine. If the players had finished better TFC would have won in regulation. Jozy was particularly poor, perhaps exhaustion.

PizzaEatingYeti
09-25-2019, 08:54 PM

- Digging even further:

Sorry for being right, but this was to be expected.
This season our team had a huge problem with winning games at home with more than 1 goal difference.

And as for the pk-s... seriously, how many of you did not think that Montreal has a big advantage if things go down to penalties?
TFC is horrible on penalties, for too many years, for who knows what freaking reasons... but it's something collective. It seems the team has collective mental blockage in these situations.

SirBobSaget
09-25-2019, 08:55 PM
Management valued a home playoff game more then a Canadian championship and Champions league games in Feb and March. Otherwise wouldnt have sent already gassed Pozuelo along with other tired key players to California.

A playoff game is huge revenue, they're charging me almost double my regular season per game cost.

OgtheDim
09-25-2019, 08:56 PM
Jozy was almost subbed. The argument would have been epic if we won.

We missed a few chances, in particular Jozy. But they missed 3 in the last few minutes.

Impact practiced pens. They spent extra time wasting it down to the whistle.

We are a team that relies a lot on momentum. That died with the red card.

leafsman
09-25-2019, 09:00 PM
After seeing the uncalled handball less pissed at losing in pk. Still proves this tournament is a joke not having VAR

notthesun
09-25-2019, 09:00 PM
Our collective historical ineptitude in penalties is really something to behold. I doubt there's a real explanation. It just is and so it shall always be I guess.

DavemTFC
09-25-2019, 09:03 PM
Vanney's strategy was fine. If the players had finished better TFC would have won in regulation. Jozy was particularly poor, perhaps exhaustion.
Could say the same for Impact in the second half, not to mention the clear penalty and red on Auro who shouldn't even have been on. What was the point of the Laryea sub other than to rest him (he didn't even look tired) Jozy worked hard and created chances but Montreal did a pretty good job at closing him and other TFC players down any time they found any space in the box. Poz was excellent, though he was absolutely exhausted at the end. We have not managed his minutes well this season

OgtheDim
09-25-2019, 09:04 PM
Bright side : we get to go to a CPL club next season.

Dark side : losing to the Impact always suks

General Woolfe
Unforgivable.

Missing three kicks out of four from the spot is simply poor preparation. A pro-footballer should never miss a 24x8 foot target from 12 yards. If they do they’re doing something wrong. I know the goalie and nerves play a factor, but if you aim for either top corner you take the keeper out of the equation. It simply comes down to the accuracy of your shooting. If you’ve ever been on the pitch and looked at the goal from the spot you’ll know what I mean. It seems simply impossible to miss. The number of crucial kicks that we’ve missed that have cost us (2016 MLS Cup, 2018 Guadalajara) is too high to be pure chance. The only explanation is that PKs are not part of Vanney’s training routine and its now cost us three trophies.

Oh well, at least we won’t be distracted by a tournament set up to favour Mexican clubs at the start of next season and can focus on the real prize from the off.

benito
Crappy loss. TFC missed quite a few chances and scored a sloppy goal. Jozy’s pk sucked the air out of the stadium.

TFC will be well rested for the beginning of the next mls season. They will also have a more balanced schedule without the early season champions league matches.

ag futbol
09-25-2019, 09:08 PM
Didn't get to catch the game. Was hoping One Soccer would put the replay up early or at least a highlight pack.

I was (not surprisingly) disappointed.

Areathrasher

I'd rather be in Champions league over MLS cup playoffs to be honest. The goal has to be the best on the continent not just the league

Get ready for some Leagues Cup action

Defoe

I agree with you, however we did not play our stars in the first 45 minutes of leg 1.

Let’s say Champions league and MLS cup playoffs are equally as important (i’d argue champions league is more important then MLS Cup playoffs) but for argument sake I’ll rate level of importance 50.50. MLS cup playoffs qualification: 50%, MLS Champions league finals 50 %. Supporters shield I don’t value winning because unlike U.S teams we can’t qualify with winning the league. We could drill down the importance base value of each competition at a more granular level when we take in profits, home field advantage and other things into consideration, but in a vacuum it's about 50.50.

There are 6 MLS canadian championship games.
There are 34 MLS regular season games.

Therefore because they are both rated equally as important, each canadian championship game is 566% more valuable then a regular season game and that doesn't include the fact we don't need a full team to beat CPL teams right now.

I value champions league more then MLS cup, so I may value the competitions differently then others. I don't want to criticize Vanney to harshly because if we would have won I would have said it was good team management, however I did say on these boards we should send a B team to LAFC

MightyDM
09-25-2019, 09:09 PM
Bummer.

No blame to Vanney and the players looked like they gave it all.

Poz is gassed. He’ll have to rest Sunday.

Areathrasher
09-25-2019, 09:09 PM
Our collective historical ineptitude in penalties is really something to behold. I doubt there's a real explanation. It just is and so it shall always be I guess.

TFC are England in disguise

69Chevy396
09-25-2019, 09:21 PM
Not replacing VV and Seba with comparably talented players rears its ugly head again, and again....hope I an wrong, but I envision TFC outplaying most opposition during a playoff run, but having trouble scoring in tight contests.

pfk
09-25-2019, 09:21 PM
What a frustrating night. Why does CONCACAF go straight to PKs? It’s so dumb. I’d even say that if we won..... jeez, three misses in a row (the Diop save on Mullins was very good though).

Jozy was having a real off night. He couldn’t hit anything.

Endoh’s really coming into his own. He played well.

I couldn’t tell from where I was standing if it was a red card on Mavinga. Anyone else have a better vantage point?

The only upside is that we don’t have to go to a game at BMO in February.

Auzzy
09-25-2019, 09:29 PM

I really don't agree. Two early fullback subs, when neither was injured AFAIK? 2 of 3 subs used as a result, leaving very little flexibility for the rest of the game? Pozuelo rotting on the sideline for the majority of the game? Then removing speed (Endoh) instead of adding speed (Gallardo) when we had huge trouble breaking them down? And why the hell wasn't Shaffelburg on the bench (again), to sub in late? Adding more speed with Gallardo and/or Shaffelburg late, would have stretched Montreal more & made the bunker harder.

I agree individual players were also poor, incl. Jozy, but Vanney didn't leave himself the flexibility to deal with that.

Cas87
09-25-2019, 09:29 PM
Get ready for some Leagues Cup action

Ugh...

Cas87
09-25-2019, 09:30 PM
Bright side : we get to go to a CPL club next season.

Dark side : losing to the Impact always suks

If they keep the same format we should get Vancouver right?
or do we get Cavalry?

benito
09-25-2019, 09:38 PM
couldn’t tell from where I was standing if it was a red card on Mavinga. Anyone else have a better vantage point?

looked liked a definite red card from my seats in 126. He took down the impact player who was on a clear breakaway.

rydermike
09-25-2019, 09:41 PM
If they keep the same format we should get Vancouver right?
or do we get Cavalry?

They probably come up with a new bracket format

Since there are 13 teams (3 MLS, 1USL, 7CPL, 1 League1 1LigueQuebec), I could see them doing a full 16 team bracket with 3 byes (2 Finalists - TFC, Impact and the CPL champion likely Calvary). Especially with the performances of the CPL teams against the MLS/USL squads - all 3 had 1 tie and a one goal loss (except Calvary which won by one goal); it would add validity to the CPL and make them less 'minor league' by having them enter at the same stage as Vancouver and Ottawa. Could also add an extra 2 League1/Quebec teams - for League1 the League Champs (Oakville) and Playoff Champs (FC London or Masters Futbol) and same for Quebec - assuming Blainville doesn't win both) meaning there will be 15 with 1 bye (Montreal)

pfk
09-25-2019, 09:42 PM
looked liked a definite red card from my seats in 126. He took down the impact player who was on a clear breakaway.

Thanks. I haven’t seen any replays come up.

MightyDM
09-25-2019, 09:50 PM
Thanks. I haven’t seen any replays come up.
There was another defender there. But clear foul and awfully hard to deny that it was a clear goal scoring opportunity.

I thought the guy was offside but it doesn’t matter and didn’t matter then.

Jozy and Poz were gassed. Maybe should have left Morgan in and brought Mullins and Gallardo on as someone else suggested.

Lennon
09-25-2019, 09:59 PM

Same. Been there done that with MLS. I wanted us to be the first non Mexican team to win the CCL. Looks like 2 year old LA is gonna beat us to it.

Not giving guys a rest and going for all in for 4th in the league is dumb. Even if we did get it (big if) and get through the first round we're still playing away the rest of the way.

Pozuelo has been so much less effective in the second part of the season. He'll have nothing left in the tank come playoff time.

In what other league would a regular season game be prioritized over a Cup final with Champions League on the line? :facepalm:

stevep
09-25-2019, 10:07 PM
I don't what I think of Morrow.
He was beat time and time again by the Montreal player coming at him, but yet nothing came of it every time. TFC was able to recover and force a weak shot by the Montreal player.
Bad game for Jozy.

not sad at all we lost, great that we don't have to pay for a game at BMO in February

NOMOTFCBSFROMFO
09-25-2019, 10:13 PM
Bummer.

No blame to Vanney and the players looked like they gave it all.

Poz is gassed. He’ll have to rest Sunday.
Poz at 10 mil transfer plus 3 mil per is insane thank you Bill Manning

James17930
09-25-2019, 10:15 PM
Just saw the highlights.

Time to go throw up.

khso11
09-25-2019, 10:15 PM
Unforgivable.

Missing three kicks out of four from the spot is simply poor preparation. A pro-footballer should never miss a 24x8 foot target from 12 yards. If they do they’re doing something wrong. I know the goalie and nerves play a factor, but if you aim for either top corner you take the keeper out of the equation. It simply comes down to the accuracy of your shooting. If you’ve ever been on the pitch and looked at the goal from the spot you’ll know what I mean. It seems simply impossible to miss. The number of crucial kicks that we’ve missed that have cost us (2016 MLS Cup, 2018 Guadalajara) is too high to be pure chance. The only explanation is that PKs are not part of Vanney’s training routine and its now cost us three trophies.

This 100x!!!!

MightyDM
09-25-2019, 10:23 PM
Same. Been there done that with MLS. I wanted us to be the first non Mexican team to win the CCL. Looks like 2 year old LA is gonna beat us to it.

Not giving guys a rest and going for all in for in the league is dumb. Even if we did get it (big if) and get through the first round we're still playing away the rest of the way.

Pozuelo has been so much less effective in the second part of the season. He'll have nothing left in the tank come playoff time.

In what other league would a regular season game be prioritized over a Cup final with Champions League on the line? :facepalm:

The LAFC game was the best they have played since Mexico. Hard to second guess that. But they didn’t quite have enough in the tank tonight.

They need to rest some guys for the playoffs.

And Jozy looks totally out of shape. What’s up with that?

TheGoodson
09-25-2019, 10:31 PM
At the end of the day when your first two subs are your left and right back what do we expect to happen....

The players were gassed by the end. Why not DeLeon and then Gallardo instead of auro and Mullins? As much as TFC had significant chances they missed, Vanney lost this game

MightyDM
09-25-2019, 10:34 PM
You can’t have a PK and a red in consecutive games without consequences. Looking forward, Ciman has to start over Mavinga.

Oldtimer
09-25-2019, 10:37 PM
I really don't agree. Two early fullback subs, when neither was injured AFAIK?

I would have substituted Morgan myself. The Impact were doing all their offensive plays through him because he was slow and his positioning was suspect. He also killed TFC's attack several times by doing a simple pass-back instead of pushing the ball forward. TFC's attack got noticeably better with him off the field.

I like Morgan, but he was better suited to the slower pace of TFC before recently as a stay back fullback. Vanney's current speedy wing play isn't Morgan's forte. I would have been tempted to start Shaff, raw as he is, to fulfill the Canadian quota.

The second sub seemed like tiredness, although I'm not sure.

The one sub I would have done differently would have been to take of Jozy, who was having a really bad day, and leave on Endoh. I think that nearly happened.

Of course, TFC gets in one of those near goals and we don't even have this discussion.

noimpactinmtl
09-25-2019, 10:39 PM
I don't what I think of Morrow.
He was beat time and time again by the Montreal player coming at him, but yet nothing came of it every time. TFC was able to recover and force a weak shot by the Montreal player.
Bad game for Jozy.

not sad at all we lost, great that we don't have to pay for a game at BMO in February

Father Time takes its toll on everyone, especially fullbacks. Morrow is starting to slow down.

Oldtimer
09-25-2019, 10:48 PM
Game highlights

http://youtu.be/m7471ewplOg

stevep
09-25-2019, 11:07 PM
Game highlights

http://youtu.be/m7471ewplOg

put on slow speed, go to 3:54 he is offside,
of course handball by auro

DinamoTFC
09-25-2019, 11:11 PM
This is a joke. Practice penalties.

This would be logical. But not for our coaching staff.

Gogon
09-26-2019, 12:06 AM
put on slow speed, go to 3:54 he is offside,
of course handball by auro

Lappalainen is in the MTL half when the ball is played, so he's not offside

TFC1154ever
09-26-2019, 01:40 AM
I said it 2 weeks ago, and I’ll say it again. Jozy has been invisible for over a month now, and Poz is completely out of gas. Both of these things for me will hinge on TFC’s chances in the post season. Altidore better wake up, or we might ourselves on another heartbreaking tight loss in the playoffs.

ag futbol
09-26-2019, 05:43 AM
Father Time takes its toll on everyone, especially fullbacks. Morrow is starting to slow down.
The game has evolved too. You used to be able to get away with a much narrower skill set as a MLS fullback. Laryea and Auro can both step into midfield and make a good forward pass. And both offer something more tangible in the final third. Sure Morrow platooned upward for a bunch of garbage goals one season but that’s never been the reason why he was a valuable to the team. Morrow’s key was he was always solid defensively. Now that he’s starting to look more gaf prone i’m wondering what his future might be.

I think this team lacks someone who is a A-type personality and is hell bent on winning. Everyone seems too calm about setbacks. 3 points against NYC FC turned into 1, same against LA. This game we barely stay in it enough to make it to penalties. There needs to be more killer instinct. More desire to go out and be the best, not just better than last year.

Blindside16
09-26-2019, 06:06 AM
I think this team lacks someone who is a A-type personality and is hell bent on winning. Everyone seems too calm about setbacks. 3 points against NYC FC turned into 1, same against LA. This game we barely stay in it enough to make it to penalties. There needs to be more killer instinct. More desire to go out and be the best, not just better than last year.

I agree. I felt that we lacked hunger, desire, the killer instinct. Whatever you would like to call it. For long stretches it looked like we playing with a 1 goal lead and not vice versa. We need to find a way to get back to that 2017 that went out looking for blood every single game. I'm not sure why people are hating on Bono for the result. Sure he didn't stop a pk but our scorers had 3 shots either miss or be saved FFS. Bono would have had to of been perfect just for us to lead and from 12 yards the odds on that are extremely unlikely.

OgtheDim
09-26-2019, 06:19 AM
Poz is running on fumes
Mavinga's decision making
Delgado's passing
Jozy's fitness
General ability to get shots on target

6th game in 18 days - these guys are dead on their feet & in their brains

Their first mid week break since the Labour day weekend is next week - need to push through the Chicago game

Areathrasher
09-26-2019, 06:39 AM
This would be logical. But not for our coaching staff.

They said on the broadcast that both teams practiced penalties this week.

Ultra & Proud
09-26-2019, 07:13 AM
Tonight I thought Vanney's subs were poor and I didn't like a gassed Poz lined up on the wing while Delgado had a ton of space to waste in the middle. That match screamed for Gallardo to stretch the width and let Poz work in the space opening in the middle, especially after we went up 1-0.

So much for keeping the LAFC faster play and intensity going.

Mikmacdo
09-26-2019, 07:39 AM
I said it 2 weeks ago, and I’ll say it again. Jozy has been invisible for over a month now, and Poz is completely out of gas. Both of these things for me will hinge on TFC’s chances in the post season. Altidore better wake up, or we might ourselves on another heartbreaking tight loss in the playoffs.I agree on Jozy hes been awful but Poz is still providing excellent scoring chances for Jozy and others they just cant finish.

stevep
09-26-2019, 07:56 AM
Lappalainen is in the MTL half when the ball is played, so he's not offside

yes, I read that on comments on mls.com
never knew that was the rule

613reppingTFC
09-26-2019, 08:20 AM
well so many things to mention and they have already all been mentioned
Poz on the side and looking outta gas, still providing some great balls in though...he needs a rest. next season he should come back in full form with having played so much lately.
Jozy just looked completely off all night, had a bunch of chances he could have put away but never seemed to do anything with it. was really unimpressed after his pk that he just sat on the ground while the rest of the team mates were all huddled together (he's part of the team regardless of a missed shot, bradley went over and tapped him on the back and he just sat down) Montreal just looked more like a team before the pk in a big team huddle and then all standing together as a team at half.
Lareya did great work, still think he goes down far too easily and just needs to try shooting. I'd love to see a stat on how many times he has gone dribbling into the 18 and yet never get's a shot off..
I didn't really agree with the first subs either, maybe even the mullins for endoh since he was doing great out there too. but in a game you are down 1-0 and you subbed in two defenders that didn't look like they needed to come off..
I think morgan was doing better than morrow out there as someone mentioned everytime they rushed down morrows side they were getting around him
Auro was a clear hand ball in the box, very lucky that didn't get called
mavinga..not sure what to say about him..but between his clumsy fouls and zavs a few games ago, seems they are losing focus at the back.

pfk
09-26-2019, 08:28 AM

They'll need to practice harder with the playoffs coming up. Any game could go to penalties.

Prof
09-26-2019, 08:45 AM
They probably come up with a new bracket format

Since there are 13 teams (3 MLS, 1USL, 7CPL, 1 League1 1LigueQuebec), I could see them doing a full 16 team bracket with 3 byes (2 Finalists - TFC, Impact and the CPL champion likely Calvary). Especially with the performances of the CPL teams against the MLS/USL squads - all 3 had 1 tie and a one goal loss (except Calvary which won by one goal); it would add validity to the CPL and make them less 'minor league' by having them enter at the same stage as Vancouver and Ottawa. Could also add an extra 2 League1/Quebec teams - for League1 the League Champs (Oakville) and Playoff Champs (FC London or Masters Futbol) and same for Quebec - assuming Blainville doesn't win both) meaning there will be 15 with 1 bye (Montreal)

TFC 2 and the CSL Champions should be competing for this cup.

Ultra & Proud
09-26-2019, 09:28 AM
was really unimpressed after his pk that he just sat on the ground while the rest of the team mates were all huddled together (he's part of the team regardless of a missed shot, bradley went over and tapped him on the back and he just sat down)

He was sitting down at the final whistle pretty much right until he took his kick. To me, I assume he's hurt again in some way or else seriously gassed. The last time he took that shit of a PK and looked like he did before and after the miss he missed a couple months.

DinamoTFC
09-26-2019, 09:34 AM

There was a quote circulating that they dont practice them often.

ag futbol
09-26-2019, 09:38 AM
I agree. I felt that we lacked hunger, desire, the killer instinct. Whatever you would like to call it. For long stretches it looked like we playing with a 1 goal lead and not vice versa. We need to find a way to get back to that 2017 that went out looking for blood every single game. I'm not sure why people are hating on Bono for the result. Sure he didn't stop a pk but our scorers had 3 shots either miss or be saved FFS. Bono would have had to of been perfect just for us to lead and from 12 yards the odds on that are extremely unlikely.
Agreed. It’s not any individual result that bothers me. Road points in NYC and against LA are certainly prized. Coming back to force penalties here not terrible either.

But... if we really stepped on it could we have gotten more from at least some of these games? (Or other ones earlier this season). I feel like we certainly could.

I think it’s those sorts of challenges that will say whether we have a real chance of making a run in the playoffs when the margin of error is slim. The way we play now, we could give someone a close game and not quite make it and everyone would pat themselves on the back for effort. The 2017 team would have never settled for that, anything less than a championship would have been disappointing.

Slick
09-26-2019, 09:40 AM
You can’t have a PK and a red in consecutive games without consequences. Looking forward, Ciman has to start over Mavinga.

Lappalainen was on a clear breakaway. Mavinga had no choice but to foul. And it was a good foul to take, and was outside the box. Also, the timing didn't hurt us considering it was in the 85th minute.

I'll take Mavinga over Ciman any day.

Ultra & Proud
09-26-2019, 10:01 AM
The way we play now, we could give someone a close game and not quite make it and everyone would pat themselves on the back for effort. The 2017 team would have never settled for that, anything less than a championship would have been disappointing.

I would have accepted that better yesterday if we had guys like Gallardo, Schaffelburg, Fraser, etc. starting and fighting it out.

The roster we had out there shouldn't be applauding good efforts and steps in the right direction at this point of the season.

Oldtimer
09-26-2019, 10:12 AM
There was a quote circulating that they dont practice them often.

Source?

ag futbol
09-26-2019, 10:22 AM
I would have accepted that better yesterday if we had guys like Gallardo, Schaffelburg, Fraser, etc. starting and fighting it out.

The roster we had out there shouldn't be applauding good efforts and steps in the right direction at this point of the season.
Agreed, although not so much a yesterday thing in isolation as something i’ve noticed throughout the season.

Ultra & Proud
09-26-2019, 11:53 AM
Agreed, although not so much a yesterday thing in isolation as something i’ve noticed throughout the season.
True. I have grown tired of hearing Vanney and Bradley repeat how we did all the right things in losses/draws and how we were the better team and would have won if only ......blah, blah, excuse, blah.

MightyDM
09-26-2019, 11:54 AM
Source?

Vanney said that they don’t practice penalties often (but they did this week) post game. Three misses is extraordinary. Jozy simply had to score to put pressure on Montréal.

Auzzy
09-26-2019, 11:56 AM
Vanney said that they don’t practice penalties often (but they did this week) post game. Three misses is extraordinary. Jozy simply had to score to put pressure on Montréal.

Yup! Three misses out of only 4 taken, in fact!!

They don't practice penalties often? Wow.

Oldtimer
09-26-2019, 12:37 PM

Yup! Three misses out of only 4 taken, in fact!!

They don't practice penalties often? Wow.

How often do most teams practice penalties?

DinamoTFC
09-26-2019, 12:53 PM
Source?

https://canpl.ca/article/this-one-stings-tfc-ruminate-on-yet-another-pk-loss-in-tournament-final

TFC1154ever
09-26-2019, 01:01 PM
Lappalainen was on a clear breakaway. Mavinga had no choice but to foul. And it was a good foul to take, and was outside the box. Also, the timing didn't hurt us considering it was in the 85th minute.

I'll take Mavinga over Ciman any day.

Bingo. Very smart actually. That’s in the back of the net if he doesn’t. With penalties looming in under 10 minutes, that’s what I was thinking he should do when Lappalainen burned the high line (wasn’t Mavinga’s man btw).

On the penalties, Jozy’s Penalty was stupid. If your going to go down middle (smart btw), you don’t need to kill it. Just get a little air underneath and your good. If he stands there, he would save it anyways. Mullins pk was just poor. If we go to penalties in the playoffs, I’d like to see this order:

1) Poz
2) Jozy
3) Endoh
4) Benezet/gallardo(whoever is on)
5) Mavinga

I’d probably go Morrow after that. I don’t want to see Bradley, Osorio, or Delgado take a penalty for the rest their careers.

C.Ronaldo
09-26-2019, 01:11 PM
Bingo. Very smart actually. That’s in the back of the net if he doesn’t. With penalties looming in under 10 minutes, that’s what I was thinking he should do when Lappalainen burned the high line (wasn’t Mavinga’s man btw).

On the penalties, Jozy’s Penalty was stupid. If your going to go down middle (smart btw), you don’t need to kill it. Just get a little air underneath and your good. If he stands there, he would save it anyways. Mullins pk was just poor. If we go to penalties in the playoffs, I’d like to see this order:

1) Poz
2) Jozy
3) Endoh
5) Mavinga

I’d probably go Morrow after that. I don’t want to see Bradley, Osorio, or Delgado take a penalty for the rest their careers.

endoh has become our sharpshooter. Not sure if thats telling, but it kinda is.

C.Ronaldo
09-26-2019, 01:14 PM
on the flip side, has Bono ever saved a PK?

C.Ronaldo
09-26-2019, 01:16 PM
At the end of the day when your first two subs are your left and right back what do we expect to happen....

The players were gassed by the end. Why not DeLeon and then Gallardo instead of auro and Mullins? As much as TFC had significant chances they missed, Vanney lost this game

Auro was looked instantly bad.
He looked less fresh than layrea coming off

We had no impact subs, infact we had negative impact subs

ManUtd4ever
09-26-2019, 01:31 PM
Oh well, can't win it every year. We need to address the PK situation.

On the bright side, that was the pinnacle of Montreal's season and we are going to the playoffs.

Auzzy
09-26-2019, 01:39 PM
1) Poz
2) Jozy
3) Endoh
5) Mavinga

Why Morrow? I don't have anything against him generally, but he did the exact same kind of PK in MLS Cup 2016, as Jozy did last night.

Ultra & Proud
09-26-2019, 02:19 PM
I am assuming since our players never practice penalties that our keepers don't practice them either. That lining up and firing on the fly pre-match isn't the same as learning to read a players body on the PK lead up and I am unsure that's something we bother with. Doesn't look like it.

OgtheDim
09-26-2019, 02:24 PM
Vanney said last night we haven't stop a single PK in PK shootout and that this needed to be worked on.

I get the feeling its being added to the roster of regular things to work on next season.

Just an FYI:

Playoffs are not straight to PK's - the regular 2 x 15 minutes and then PK.

TFC1154ever
09-26-2019, 02:28 PM
Why Morrow? I don't have anything against him generally, but he did the exact same kind of PK in MLS Cup 2016, as Jozy did last night.

More of a he’s ahead of Bradley, Osorio, Delgado, then he’s good. Those 3 have proved more than once that they can’t take penalties.

Ultra & Proud
09-26-2019, 02:38 PM
Vanney said last night we haven't stop a single PK in PK shootout and that this needed to be worked on.

I get the feeling its being added to the roster of regular things to work on next season.

So it only took losing 3 cups in penalties to figure that out. Great.

reggie
09-26-2019, 02:38 PM
I said it 2 weeks ago, and I’ll say it again. Jozy has been invisible for over a month now, and Poz is completely out of gas. Both of these things for me will hinge on TFC’s chances in the post season. Altidore better wake up, or we might ourselves on another heartbreaking tight loss in the playoffs.
i agree..he looks slow and lazy lately.he has like 1 goal in his 8 or 9 games and he is trying to kill the ball.boy do we ever need a second scorer.he cant do it by himself.

Ultra & Proud
09-26-2019, 02:49 PM
i agree..he looks slow and lazy lately.he has like 1 goal in his 8 or 9 games and he is trying to kill the ball.boy do we ever need a second scorer.he cant do it by himself.
That's the problem with the single striker in a capped league. Don't want to waste too much on a back up who may never play.

greekasm
09-26-2019, 03:35 PM
According to the MLS site, the league’s penalty success rate is around 76-79%. In all competitions, does anyone know TFC’s cumulative penalty success rate?

greekasm
09-26-2019, 03:47 PM
Found it. In MLS regular season (so it excludes playoffs/shootouts) we have a 69.1% success rate. All competitions we are 71.5% (57/80).

MightyDM
09-26-2019, 04:48 PM
How often do most teams practice penalties?

I am not being critical - you asked for the source that they did not practice much and I gave it. Interesting though that England practiced them with innovative techniques - like incredible noise turned off for silence just before the kick, at the end of training when players were mentally tired, etc - maybe TFC needs to do that.

MightyDM
09-26-2019, 04:52 PM
According to the MLS site, the league’s penalty success rate is around 76-79%. In all competitions, does anyone know TFC’s cumulative penalty success rate?
5/6 MLS cup; 3/5 CCL; 1/4 CC - from memory.

Not sure about regular season. Gio was perfect until Red Bull out guessed him.

Thinking about it more, given VAR is increasing the number of penalties, it does need to be worked on.

DavemTFC
09-26-2019, 05:39 PM
More of a he’s ahead of Bradley, Osorio, Delgado, then he’s good. Those 3 have proved more than once that they can’t take penalties.
I think we've all been blinded by THAT open play Delgado miss against Chivas since the only penalty I remember him ever taking was the one he scored in a shootout against - wait for it - Chivas

Oldtimer
09-26-2019, 07:42 PM
I am not being critical - you asked for the source that they did not practice much and I gave it. Interesting though that England practiced them with innovative techniques - like incredible noise turned off for silence just before the kick, at the end of training when players were mentally tired, etc - maybe TFC needs to do that.

It wasn't a challenge, I was just curious. When I took OSA coaches training there was zero on penalties. I was wondering how much the pros do it in general? I know that David Beckham was renowned for spending hours practicing them and it was something unusual that he did so.

jazzy
09-26-2019, 07:59 PM

Predictable comment but no , with this talent they should be winning vs this opponent. Vanery smothers the natural talent of all these players with his rigorous hold on playing ‘his ‘ style . We kill fast breaks , either always passing back , letting the other team regroup or , crosse to nonexistent , slow attackers . We had a lot of crosses and corners to nowhere . He should know the teams weakness and frighin practice them , hmm. Penalties , ever won any of them . Each of these players are playing like they have an extra 100 lbs on them , or really tired of playing under Vanneys rigorous structure . Results are the proof , even for his cheerleaders . Still with his disrespect of winning Concacaf , remember his dismal attempt at a winning line-up ? It’s better we don’t represent Canada , Vanney would only underestimate the opponent ,...again .

Oldtimer
09-26-2019, 09:03 PM
Predictable comment but no , with this talent they should be winning vs this opponent. Vanery smothers the natural talent of all these players with his rigorous hold on playing ‘his ‘ style . We kill fast breaks , either always passing back , letting the other team regroup or , crosse to nonexistent , slow attackers . We had a lot of crosses and corners to nowhere . He should know the teams weakness and frighin practice them , hmm. Penalties , ever won any of them . Each of these players are playing like they have an extra 100 lbs on them , or really tired of playing under Vanneys rigorous structure . Results are the proof , even for his cheerleaders . Still with his disrespect of winning Concacaf , remember his dismal attempt at a winning line-up ? It’s better we don’t represent Canada , Vanney would only underestimate the opponent ,...again .

I suggest reading "Pep Confidential" by Marti Perarnau, a journalist who was given pretty well unhampered access when he was at Bayern Munich. You'd see that one of the most brilliant football minds this generation has his players play "his" style, and Pep is very rigid about it. He's won everywhere he goes using his style, "smothering" the player's natural way of playing (it was very hard for German players to play his style, which is not at all typical of the Bundesliga). You'd get a better idea of what Vanney is trying to do. Vanney is no Pep, but he's a student of Pep and others who is trying to learn the lessons.

As far as the players passing back this game... that was mostly Morgan, who as I pointed out Vanney substituted early, and a lot of people called Vanney out for making that substitution because they didn't see what was going on, but Vanney did. That's why there was much less back-passing and much more attacking play in the second half of the match. Vanney has been pushing a fast attacking style this season instead of the more methodical method that took advantage of having a Giovinco, and when the players do it, it unbalances the other team (like it did LAFC, TFC is really the only team that took it to them this season).

TFC1154ever
09-26-2019, 11:27 PM
5/6 MLS cup; 3/5 CCL; 1/4 CC - from memory.

Not sure about regular season. Gio was perfect until Red Bull out guessed him.

Thinking about it more, given VAR is increasing the number of penalties, it does need to be worked on.

MLS Cup was 4/6. Bradley and Morrow missed.

NOMOTFCBSFROMFO
09-27-2019, 12:11 AM
Practicing penalties? What a waste these guys all have the skills to take decent shots from 12 yards out, what makes it challenging is keeping your nerves in check when moving towards the ball to take your kick, this is something you cant replicate in practice, Messi Ronaldo Maradona Pele have all missed PKS do you not think they practiced penalties?

ensco
09-27-2019, 06:18 AM
The PK thing is annoying but trying to understand it will only give you brain damage.

Gonzalez isn’t getting enough love. He was superb Wednesday on both ends. He knows how and when to move forward, it really led to several great chances.

Ben - D.O.W.
09-27-2019, 07:18 AM

Scored 1. Okay sure. But lazy? I'm not buying it.

vs LAFC - assisted on Endoh's goal
vs Colorado - earned the penalty, Poz took it
vs NYCFC - earned the penalty Poz scored, and was involved in the second penalty
vs NE and Cincinnati - didn't play either game
vs Montreal (MLS) - assisted Morrow on the come back game winner
vs Columbus - assisted Osorio, and scored the equalizer

So no he hasn't scored much lately, but I'd hardly call him lazy - he's been involved in every game he's played lately with an assist/earned penalty (not to mention everything else he contributes with his hold up play, drawing defenders, etc).

613reppingTFC
09-27-2019, 09:33 AM

some people were asking about some info on penalty kicks and this was something i saw just before the cup game.
Bono has saved 3 pks out of 18 attempts. Westberg has now tied him with 3 saves in only 9 attempts.

https://www.wakingthered.com/2019/9/17/20870745/by-the-numbers-toronto-fc-rolling-in-mls-and-voyageurs-cup-montreal-preview

Ben - D.O.W.
09-27-2019, 09:39 AM
some people were asking about some info on penalty kicks and this was something i saw just before the cup game.
Bono has saved 3 pks out of 18 attempts. Westberg has now tied him with 3 saves in only 9 attempts.

I forget where I saw it but after those stats came out someone pointed out that Bono's three "saves" were actually misses, and Westberg's three "saves" were two misses and one save.

nobody
09-27-2019, 10:42 AM
Osso was cussing out some fans in the side line box seats at the end of the match. Does anyone know what that was about?

ensco
09-27-2019, 11:13 AM
Holy crap. The Issey curse!

https://twitter.com/kamivy69/status/1177299418296541186?s=21

OgtheDim
09-27-2019, 01:05 PM
Osso was cussing out some fans in the side line box seats at the end of the match. Does anyone know what that was about?

He keep touhing his heart and pointing at himself. He was claarly apologising.

He also was the one in around the 70th minute asking for the south to bring it.

C.Ronaldo
09-27-2019, 01:10 PM
I am assuming since our players never practice penalties that our keepers don't practice them either. That lining up and firing on the fly pre-match isn't the same as learning to read a players body on the PK lead up and I am unsure that's something we bother with. Doesn't look like it.

it shows, Bono barely guesses the right direction.

Oldtimer
09-27-2019, 01:59 PM

Bono went to his left every time. Makes it easy for the shooter.

DinamoTFC
09-27-2019, 06:58 PM

It's really quite intriguing. I've been noticing this trend with him for a while. He rarely guesses the right way. He's not reading opponents well.

OgtheDim
09-27-2019, 07:07 PM
It's really quite intriguing. I've been noticing this trend with him for a while. He rarely guesses the right way. He's not reading opponents well.

I am convinced we need a better keeper coach.

Hamilton_Red
09-28-2019, 01:41 AM

I think that if you did some statistical analysis...you’d show that he waits till the shot is taken..then dives in the opposite direction. Likely not on purpose...some sort of mental thing. He never gets close. Ever.

TFC are as bad as England at taking penalties. It is that bad.

MightyDM
09-28-2019, 09:23 AM
Practicing penalties? What a waste these guys all have the skills to take decent shots from 12 yards out, what makes it challenging is keeping your nerves in check when moving towards the ball to take your kick, this is something you cant replicate in practice, Messi Ronaldo Maradona Pele have all missed PKS do you not think they practiced penalties?

England practiced penalties - you should look up what Southgate said afterwards. It was quite interesting and contrary to the generally accepted view that you cannot practice because you cannot create the same situation ie nerves. They did things like blast crowd noise really loudly then turn it off immediately before the penalty etc to create deathly silence. SouthGate says it much better than I can. It’s worth a read.

OgtheDim
09-28-2019, 09:51 AM
Here's the article in the Guardian on the England pens.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/05/england-gareth-southgate-penalties-overcome-hoodoo