PDA

View Full Version : Match Day 32 - TFC @ LAFC Saturday Sept 21 - Ba de Ya

OgtheDim
09-15-2019, 08:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs069dndIYk

Do you remember the 21st night of September?
Love was changing the minds of pretenders
While chasing the clouds away

Have at It People

DinamoTFC
09-16-2019, 10:00 AM
I want to see a strong lineup for this game even if a couple starters have to come off the bench. This will be a real benchmark of where we are at.
We had a similar one against Atlanta in 2017 prior to playoffs starting and us winning the whole thing.

stevep
09-16-2019, 11:09 AM
start our best, leave it all on the field, this is our mls cup

kodiakTFC
09-16-2019, 12:08 PM
Am I the only one who would prefer we go full strength against MTL both legs and send the B squad to LA? Give the boys a bit of a rest in terms of travel and focus on the cup.

stevep
09-16-2019, 01:00 PM
Am I the only one who would prefer we go full strength against MTL both legs and send the B squad to LA? Give the boys a bit of a rest in terms of travel and focus on the cup.

don't you want to see if we can beat LAFC?
I sure as heck do

MightyDM
09-16-2019, 01:37 PM

There aren’t many. We need the momentum that could come from A successful test against the best.

OgtheDim
09-16-2019, 01:51 PM

No you are not.

Vanney indicated in the presser yesterday that he would be making decisions about the next 2 games based on how people are doing today recovery wise. There are some necessary changes for Wednesday based on content requirements.

But for LA, I would not be surprised if both Jozy & Poz didn't make the trip. I would nail Bradley on as a "he's not missing this one no matter what" sort of thing.

stevep
09-16-2019, 01:55 PM
There aren’t many. We need the momentum that could come from A successful test against the best.

Also, it's not really fair to the LA fans to not play your best.
Those people pay a lot of money for their tickets based on the resale prices I see on StubHub

pfk
09-16-2019, 02:04 PM
Jozy could be up for a suspension as DISCO meets this week. https://www.wakingthered.com/2019/9/16/20868594/toronto-fcs-jozy-altidore-may-be-hearing-from-the-league-possible-suspension

MightyDM
09-16-2019, 02:09 PM
No you are not.

Vanney indicated in the presser yesterday that he would be making decisions about the next 2 games based on how people are doing today recovery wise. There are some necessary changes for Wednesday based on content requirements.

But for LA, I would not be surprised if both Jozy & Poz didn't make the trip. I would nail Bradley on as a "he's not missing this one no matter what" sort of thing.

That’s quite possible. Oso and Mullins.

Oldtimer
09-16-2019, 02:46 PM
Any tweaking Vanney does will be limited though, they are going all out for a home playoff date... unless Altidore is suspended of course.

Bushmancan
09-16-2019, 05:29 PM
Jozy could be up for a suspension as DISCO meets this week. https://www.wakingthered.com/2019/9/16/20868594/toronto-fcs-jozy-altidore-may-be-hearing-from-the-league-possible-suspension

Love Jozy and actually saw it coming... I think the bigger thing is that Abukaber got into his kitchen. Jozy needs to find the fine line between being pissed and amping it up and being pissed and out of control.

Jozy has a history of leg and feet injuries, Abukabar was hacking all game and playing with Jozy’s livelihood. One thing the league needs to do is to protect its stars, if he gets a supplemental Red it is a joke.

The league wouldn't let that happen to Vela.

Defoe
09-16-2019, 10:14 PM
start our best, leave it all on the field, this is our mls cup

How is this our MLS Cup? That basically is implying we don't actually have a shot, which we do lol

I don't know when Morrow is back, but if everyone is healthy this is our best lineup IMO. Note: Delgado+Auro out. Deleon to DM.

—————————Altidore
————Benezet—Pozuelo—-Osorio
————--——Bradley - Deleon
---Morrow - Mavinga - Gonzalez - Lareya
——————---—Westburg

That said, i'd rather a reserve squad go to LA and focus on Montreal

barticusz
09-17-2019, 12:34 AM
Don’t care about Montreal. I want to see the best squad against LA.

Initial B
09-17-2019, 06:31 AM
Now that I think about it, perhaps it would be best in Vanney fields as low a grade team as possible against LA so their players don't know what it's like to face the real team until the MLS Cup Final (assuming the Reds get that far). Sure LAFC will have scouting footage leading up to the Final, but their players won't have the muscle memory of playing against the full-strength lineup. Then again, neither would TFC, so maybe a full-strength lineup is best after all.

Joe Kool
09-17-2019, 07:51 AM
Now that I think about it, perhaps it would be best in Vanney fields as low a grade team as possible against LA so their players don't know what it's like to face the real team until the MLS Cup Final (assuming the Reds get that far). Sure LAFC will have scouting footage leading up to the Final, but their players won't have the muscle memory of playing against the full-strength lineup. Then again, neither would TFC, so maybe a full-strength lineup is best after all.

Kinda similar to what I was thinking. I would rather play the full A team if we met them in the playoffs. I would rather use more A team players to stomp Montreal versus risking our guys with fatigue and travel going to LA to play for what? Pride? All fine to play for pride when the circumstances allow it but in this case I am not sure it is worth it right now just before playoffs and a couple late season games against Eastern rivals.

OgtheDim
09-17-2019, 08:08 AM
CCL > 1 game against LAFC

Every damn day of the week

DinamoTFC
09-17-2019, 08:52 AM
CCL > 1 game against LAFC

Every damn day of the week

Agree. But both can be managed this time around.

Canada cup requires 3 Canadians so Laryea, Osorio and probably one of Schaff/Fraser/Morgan will get the start giving a couple guys a break. Vanney said he looks to keep giving Bono and Mullins minutes in this tourney. So that's another couple guys to get a break. Still a good line up. Mtl has to play 3 Canadians too.

stevep
09-17-2019, 11:57 AM
Kinda similar to what I was thinking. I would rather play the full A team if we met them in the playoffs. I would rather use more A team players to stomp Montreal versus risking our guys with fatigue and travel going to LA to play for what? Pride? All fine to play for pride when the circumstances allow it but in this case I am not sure it is worth it right now just before playoffs and a couple late season games against Eastern rivals.

The question is how badly do you want the first playoff game to be a home game?
DC last game of the season is at home vs Cincinnati

noimpactinmtl
09-17-2019, 02:30 PM

We need CANCON requirements for Montreal anyways. Liam Fraser, Oso/Laryea and Morgan would satisfy it.

RealG-TFC
09-17-2019, 02:41 PM
Wonder is we play Ciman for this game or Montreal. Either way he'll be playing against his former team.

Mikmacdo
09-19-2019, 08:04 AM
Q
Auro-Omar-Mavinga-morrow
Delgado-Bradley-Poz
Endoh-Jozy-Gallardo

Kind of have to win this game to keep homefield.

Oldtimer
09-19-2019, 08:28 AM
Q
Auro-Omar-Mavinga-morrow
Delgado-Bradley-Poz
Endoh-Jozy-Gallardo

I'm pretty sure the lineup will be something like this. Vanney will go for at least 1 point from the match.

OgtheDim
09-19-2019, 09:10 AM
Q
Auro-Omar-Mavinga-morrow
Delgado-Bradley-Poz
Endoh-Jozy-Gallardo

To Manning & CO

CCL > Homefield advantage for 1 game in the playoffs

I think we see way more changes for this game.

rydermike
09-19-2019, 10:18 AM
To Manning & CO

Yep. Looking at it financially. CCL (assuming we don't overlook our first round opponent again) would be 1-4 home games (most likely at least 2), while playoffs would be 1. Now attendence for CCL may not be high due to early month cold and playoffs can be slightly raised ticket prices. So depends on how far they think they can go. But CCL does have added benefits (extra allocation, revenue from tvdeal?)

Oldtimer
09-19-2019, 10:21 AM
To Manning & CO

Many supporters like myself see the CCL as much more important, but the casual fan and the media not so much. A home playoff game will bring much more "buzz" than a game against some random Caribbean team. Now winning the CCL would bring significant buzz, but as we've seen that's much more difficult than any MLS side has been able to overcome.

If I'm MLSE, I'm going to hope for a CCL run, but tell Vanney to prioritize playoffs. TFC has a legitimate chance to win the East, though probably not the Cup.

C.Ronaldo
09-19-2019, 10:37 AM
Yep. Looking at it financially. CCL (assuming we don't overlook our first round opponent again) would be 1-4 home games (most likely at least 2), while playoffs would be 1. Now attendence for CCL may not be high due to early month cold and playoffs can be slightly raised ticket prices. So depends on how far they think they can go. But CCL does have added benefits (extra allocation, revenue from tvdeal?)

TFC needs to educate the general fan a lot more on CCL

OgtheDim
09-19-2019, 10:57 AM
TFC gets more allocation with CCL then with a playoff game. Also much easier to sell the team to a potential player with the carrot of Champions League. Manning has made it clear - playoffs & CCL are both priorities. Playoffs is expected & probably attained now (would require us to lose out & Montreal to win out) - the CCL is in flux. They went with a slightly lesser line up last night to see how it would go & give some guys some rest. But, i they didn't take the Voyageur's seriiously, you would not have seen Poz & Jozy in for 45 last night nor seen basically all starters on the bench but Morgan.

LAFC points, like all Western away points, is a bonus. The league priority is the last 2 games, not this away trip.

Mikmacdo
09-19-2019, 11:27 AM
TFC gets more allocation with CCL then with a playoff game. Also much easier to sell the team to a potential player with the carrot of Champions League. Manning has made it clear - playoffs & CCL are both priorities. Playoffs is expected & probably attained now (would require us to lose out & Montreal to win out) - the CCL is in flux. They went with a slightly lesser line up last night to see how it would go & give some guys some rest. But, i they didn't take the Voyageur's seriiously, you would not have seen Poz & Jozy in for 45 last night nor seen basically all starters on the bench but Morgan.

LAFC points, like all Western away points, is a bonus. The league priority is the last 2 games, not this away trip.

A home playoff game is worth millions though.

Captain
09-19-2019, 12:09 PM
All the starters play on Saturday night. Vanney said playing 45 min on a Wednesday night is equivalent to a mid week practice. Marky, Pozo & Jozy will all play 90. Bradley, Laryea will play 90. We didn't see Auro, Mavinga & Gonzales on Wed so they'll all play 90. Oso will come on as a sub Saturday as he played 90 Wed and will be needed to play another 90 next Wed. Morrow will be rested Saturday as he's come back from injury.

Q
Laryea Gonzales Mavinga Auro
Delgado Bradley Benezet
Poz Jozy Gallardo

Also, everyone travels whether they play or not. These are Vanney's words. They travel as a team unless someone is obviously injured.

Mikmacdo
09-19-2019, 01:11 PM
I dont think benezet will be ready.

69Chevy396
09-19-2019, 06:56 PM
Don’t care about Montreal. I want to see the best squad against LA.
Agreed. The MLS season should always take priority, and, after the 2018 debacle, the fans should demand this.

stevep
09-19-2019, 09:25 PM
I dont think benezet will be ready.

Benezet not playing. not good

https://torontosun.com/sports/soccer/mls/toronto-fc/tfc-winger-nicolas-benezet-out-for-lafc-match

OgtheDim
09-20-2019, 08:16 PM
Diomande put into the substance abuse program - so LAFC has no banging forward right now to turn to if Vela & co can't......

yeah I don't think it makes much of a difference.

portu
09-21-2019, 12:47 PM

Yeah and we'll clinch playoffs if Montreal drops any points to LAG anyway. Getting into CCL next season should be the priority.

portu
09-21-2019, 12:48 PM
Agreed. The MLS season should always take priority, and, after the 2018 debacle, the fans should demand this.

So if we're in a CCL final on Wednesday and have Vancouver away the weekend before, we should send the B team for the cup final? Really.

portu
09-21-2019, 12:51 PM
I don't want this club to be the best in MLS, I want it to be the best in CONCACAF. Fuck the LAFC match. Prioritize the cup final we need to win in order to play champions league football.

FootBallAZ
09-21-2019, 02:40 PM
The best and most intense games was that 2018 champions league run, not to take away from the playoffs.
As the Montreal home leg was up there, as well as the cup Final we won.

I'm not sure about what strategy, but tfc are 90 m away from champions league birth against teams with better quality in the liga mx

Hope benezet is ok

69Chevy396
09-21-2019, 03:19 PM
I don't want this club to be the best in MLS, I want it to be the best in CONCACAF. Fuck the LAFC match. Prioritize the cup final we need to win in order to play champions league football.
I envy your optimism. A team that has trouble beating most MLS competition, will perform better against the superior clubs from Mexico? A betting man would argue that an MLS team struggling in mid table, doesn’t deserve to be part of the CONCACAF
Besides, I prefer MLS (when in the mood to watch), where typically, the best teams shine in the playoffs, and they are not fielding b squads (like the Mexicans often did in 2018).

portu
09-21-2019, 04:07 PM
I envy your optimism. A team that has trouble beating most MLS competition, will perform better against the superior clubs from Mexico? A betting man would argue that an MLS team struggling in mid table, doesn’t deserve to be part of the CONCACAF
Besides, I prefer MLS (when in the mood to watch), where typically, the best teams shine in the playoffs, and they are not fielding b squads (like the Mexicans often did in 2018).

If you paid attention at all last year then you realize how ridiculous your question sounds. Tied 18th out of 23 in MLS and runner-up (on penalties) in CCL. Maybe you weren't 'in the mood'.

69Chevy396
09-21-2019, 04:30 PM
If you paid attention at all last year then you realize how ridiculous your question sounds. Tied 18th out of 23 in MLS and runner-up (on penalties) in CCL. Maybe you weren't 'in the mood'.

That was a different team. That was a much better team. The COnCACAF ruined them for the season (you would know this if you were paying attention).

OgtheDim
09-21-2019, 07:13 PM
FWIW, Ref tonight is Ted Unkel - he of the exaggerated finger at the penalty spot. Usually even keel & consistent in a "why is he not calling those fouls at all tonight?" sort of way. Not afraid to give a yellow in the first half.

Mikmacdo
09-21-2019, 08:40 PM
Gallardo didnt make the bench?

FootBallAZ
09-21-2019, 08:44 PM
Strong line up.

No TAM players in starting xi or bench

Osorio starting.
No one appealing on the bench.
Fraser is there and deleon.

Lennon
09-21-2019, 08:45 PM
Strong lineup, smh.

OgtheDim
09-21-2019, 08:45 PM
Hmm.....a few people being rested it seems but that is a strong squad.

Chicago draw in Cinci means they can't catch us now - Orlando & Montreal now the only 2 that can catch us. The magic # is 2 points gained by us or dropped by Montreal & 1 by Orlando (who are currently winning in Houston).

Interesting stat looking at the standings as they sit right now -

We have less losses then Atlanta & the same Goals For total. (Our GD is way worse - happens when you draw more due to a cruddy defence)

rydermike
09-21-2019, 09:29 PM

Osorio starting.

Technically, Osorio is a TAM player

Areathrasher
09-21-2019, 09:37 PM
Anyone got a stream? My usual site doesn't have the game listed.

OgtheDim
09-21-2019, 09:43 PM
Orlando loss means regardless of our result tonight, if LAG can beat or tie Montreal at home, we are in the playoffs.

Auzzy
09-21-2019, 09:48 PM
Nice hard shot by Osorio, I like to see that!

TFC looked switched on so far tonight, I hope they can keep it up.

MightyDM
09-21-2019, 09:50 PM
Strong line up.

Osorio starting.
No one appealing on the bench.
Fraser is there and deleon.

oso is TAM. Benezet is hurt

Mark TFC
09-21-2019, 09:51 PM
Link please?!

Auzzy
09-21-2019, 09:56 PM
Link please?!

I paid $5 for a 24-hour subscription with TSN. I think that's an OK deal & I'm happy to support it.

Auzzy
09-21-2019, 10:00 PM
That wall might have been set at 10 ft. & not 10 yards...

Brooker
09-21-2019, 10:01 PM
Can anyone please pm me a decent stream?

Yohan
09-21-2019, 10:02 PM
http://cdn.livetv209.me/webplayer.php?t=ifr&c=1249426&lang=en&eid=841586&lid=1249426&ci=64&si=1

MightyDM
09-21-2019, 10:02 PM
That was a penalty. How they could not VAR it is baffling.

edit: it shouldn’t be a penalty. But in VAR world, it is.

MightyDM
09-21-2019, 10:03 PM
Lovely goal. Deserved.

Auzzy
09-21-2019, 10:04 PM
That was a penalty. How they could not VAR it is baffling.

I agree that was nuts.

Wowza great play, what a goal!

Brooker
09-21-2019, 10:05 PM
http://cdn.livetv209.me/webplayer.php?t=ifr&c=1249426&lang=en&eid=841586&lid=1249426&ci=64&si=1

Hah just in time for the goal. Ty Yohan!

OgtheDim
09-21-2019, 10:06 PM
Looking good but I'm reminded we have done that a lot the last few weeks & then took the last 70 or so minutes off.

samuraizero
09-21-2019, 10:08 PM
Any mobile capable streams?

Auzzy
09-21-2019, 10:13 PM
Pozuelo looks really uncomfortable when he's out on the wing.

With Gallardo & Benezet out, I don't understand why Schaffner isn't at least on the bench. Could put him on the left wing around the 60th minute, put Endoh on the right, leave Pozuelo more central.

Overall the ball movement is mostly amazing though.

Yohan
09-21-2019, 10:16 PM
Not putting away a second goal with those half chances is going to cost points

Yohan
09-21-2019, 10:19 PM
and that was the warning.

stevep
09-21-2019, 10:20 PM
Gotta give credit where credit is due. Caldwell is excellent tonight

Auzzy
09-21-2019, 10:23 PM
I wonder if Pozuelo is injured. Often looks tentative. Didn't even sprint for the ball that their goalie ended up getting.

OgtheDim
09-21-2019, 10:24 PM
That pitch

is shit

Auzzy
09-21-2019, 10:25 PM
Holy shit what awful positioning by our defense before that LAFC chance.

Brooker
09-21-2019, 10:28 PM
Are they doing a Hacksaw Jim Duggan chant now?

Auzzy
09-21-2019, 10:28 PM
Officiating has been to our benefit so far, except for the missed handball in the LAFC box.

Areathrasher
09-21-2019, 10:29 PM
That half
https://media.giphy.com/media/3kzJvEciJa94SMW3hN/giphy.gif

ag futbol
09-21-2019, 10:30 PM
Well that was the best half of football i’ve seen this team play in 2 years. If we can play like that consistently I think we’ll win the cup.

stevep
09-21-2019, 10:32 PM
Well that was the best half of football i’ve seen this team play in 2 years. If we can play like that consistently I think we’ll win the cup.
And we're missing benezet

Brooker
09-21-2019, 10:39 PM
Nothing to complain about, here.

OgtheDim
09-21-2019, 10:41 PM
That is the attitude that went to El Volcan & the Azteca - lets see if we can do this for 90 because it only takes 90 seconds for LAFC to step on your throat and push.

MightyDM
09-21-2019, 10:44 PM
Pretty silent here when we are doing well....

Endoh should have put his boots through it a couple of times. Oso Marky and Bradley playing very well.

Areathrasher
09-21-2019, 10:46 PM

Endoh should have put his boots through it a couple of times. Oso Marky and Bradley playing very well.

Yup, finest 45 min display since Spring 18 and fucking crickets

MightyDM
09-21-2019, 10:47 PM
Pozuelo looks really uncomfortable when he's out on the wing.

With Gallardo & Benezet out, I don't understand why Schaffner isn't at least on the bench. Could put him on the left wing around the 60th minute, put Endoh on the right, leave Pozuelo more central.

Overall the ball movement is mostly amazing though.

i am guessing Shaffs defensive positioning isn’t to the standard required.

Brooker
09-21-2019, 10:47 PM
Free kick my ass.

MightyDM
09-21-2019, 10:48 PM
Gotta give credit where credit is due. Caldwell is excellent tonight

I like him. Likely the only one on these boards though.

Auzzy
09-21-2019, 10:48 PM

Hey I'm trying to be as verbose as possible. :D

Marky would have had a great chance if he had first-timed it instead of taking that extra touch.

MightyDM
09-21-2019, 10:49 PM

”pussplops”.....!,,,

MightyDM
09-21-2019, 10:51 PM
They are really on top right now.

MightyDM
09-21-2019, 10:53 PM
Here we go. A little possession calms it down.

Auzzy
09-21-2019, 10:55 PM
i am guessing Shaffs defensive positioning isn’t to the standard required.

Maybe, but Endoh and especially Pozuelo don't do too much defending either.

MightyDM
09-21-2019, 10:58 PM
Poz looks tired.

Auzzy
09-21-2019, 10:59 PM
Crap, some really nice counter-attacks but not finishing.

MightyDM
09-21-2019, 11:00 PM
Maybe, but Endoh and especially Pozuelo don't do too much defending either.

Endoh does. Mr hustle. But it’s more about tactics. KJ really showed how precise and coordinated they were being in the first half. That’s likely too sophisticated for Shaff.

Auzzy
09-21-2019, 11:06 PM
Endoh does. Mr hustle. But it’s more about tactics. KJ really showed how precise and coordinated they were being in the first half. That’s likely too sophisticated for Shaff.

That's why I wouldn't want Shaff to start. Hardly ever. That's also not what I said.

But as people on both TFC and LA are tiring, Shaff could come on now or a bit later.

MightyDM
09-21-2019, 11:09 PM
That's why I wouldn't want Shaff to start. Hardly ever. That's also not what I said.

But as people on both TFC and LA are tiring, Shaff could come on now or a bit later.

fair point. I like him as an impact sub. I was just speculating what was in Vanney’s mind picking deLeon and Fraser over shaff and Gallardo.

Auzzy
09-21-2019, 11:13 PM
fair point. I like him as an impact sub. I was just speculating what was in Vanney’s mind picking deLeon and Fraser over shaff and Gallardo.

I think Gallardo is a bit injured or at least needs a break.

Hopefully Deleon can do a job here. He fell asleep on the Piatti goal midweek.

Auzzy
09-21-2019, 11:14 PM
Holy crap TFC needs to regain some control. It's not gonna get easier with Nguyen on.

MightyDM
09-21-2019, 11:15 PM
Well well well. Poz off. Very interesting.

MightyDM
09-21-2019, 11:19 PM
Pretty impressed with LAFC supporters

OgtheDim
09-21-2019, 11:20 PM
I think Poz has hit the wall on a very long season.

Auzzy
09-21-2019, 11:21 PM
Pretty impressed with LAFC supporters

Yup! But what's with the the panda bear masks?

Sucks that Altidore can't come off now.

MightyDM
09-21-2019, 11:24 PM
I think Poz has hit the wall on a very long season.

yes. That’s how it looks.

Auzzy
09-21-2019, 11:25 PM
Zip it Wileman!!!! :hulk:

Yohan
09-21-2019, 11:25 PM
the female commentator for LAFC broadcast knows her stuff

MightyDM
09-21-2019, 11:26 PM
Yup! But what's with the the panda bear masks?

Sucks that Altidore can't come off now.

It’s racoons. They are making fun of Toronto ;)

Auzzy
09-21-2019, 11:30 PM
Squeaky-bum time!!!!

MightyDM
Five minutes!!!!! Horseshit

Auzzy
5 minutes WTF, for what???

tfcfans
09-21-2019, 11:33 PM
....and there’s the VAR goal to cost us....

ag futbol
Fuck that looks like a penalty

Yohan
what the heck is Mavinga doing?

MightyDM
F*ck. He did brush the ball though.

tfcfans
Might have just cost us a home playoff game too...

Auzzy
Where the hell was Morgan, why was Mavinga all alone on that side?

OgtheDim
09-21-2019, 11:34 PM
Mavinga in the last few minutes of a game should be wrapped in bubble

Brooker
09-21-2019, 11:34 PM
I'm gonna throw up if this is how it ends

Yohan
09-21-2019, 11:35 PM
Not putting away a second goal with those half chances is going to cost points
I hate it when I'm right about these things

Brooker
09-21-2019, 11:36 PM
GOD damnit. Soul destroying. They defending like giants and then THAT.

jloome
09-21-2019, 11:36 PM
I'm gonna throw up if this is how it ends

I could be wrong but if you watch the slo mo replay again, the spin on the ball changes, indicating Mavings actually got the ball just slightly.

MightyDM
09-21-2019, 11:37 PM
Where the hell was Morgan, why was Mavinga all alone on that side?

Nah. That was all Mavinga.

Auzzy
09-21-2019, 11:38 PM
It really sucks the way it played out, but I'm happy with a draw.

MightyDM
I could be wrong but if you watch the slo mo replay again, the spin on the ball changes, indicating Mavings actually got the ball just slightly.

Yes, he absolutely did.

jloome
Im pretty sure they’re arguing that he got the ball first. Edit: and having just leaped into chesting the ball, blessing clearly didn’t have possession, so it’s both a blown call and a blown VAR. yikes.

ag futbol
Well that’s pretty killer to get so close to 3 points and have to settle for 1. Good effort by the team.

If I had one criticism I would say we needed more of a sustained commitment to hold the ball in the second half. Guys must have been terribly fatigued defending for so long.

Yohan
probably one of the best games played in pretty much all aspects especially on defence. one moment of madness from Mavinga blew 2 points.
against best team in the league away

I'd have gladly taken a point before the game, but it's so disappointing to give up a late equalizer again

michaeltfc91
VAR of course equalizes in the 95th minute the whole system is a joke how many points has it robbed us. Why doesn’t it look at the obvious encroachment either????? What a joke. Pick and choose to use var whenever they want. If the game isn’t called perfectly why have it

Oldtimer
Too bad about the PK, but the Impact lost so TFC is in the playoffs.

General Woolfe
09-21-2019, 11:39 PM
Bloody heartbreaking! :facepalm:

All that great work down the drain due to a moment of madness by Mavinga. This side always find a way to shoot themselves in the foot. I suppose you can’t complain when you give up trying to play and park the bus. By Pozeulo for Ciman Vanney blinked first, if we’d taken our chances in the first half and kept at them in the second we could have pulled off a big three points in the chase for third. Instead we panic and throw two points away.

Oh well, I guess it was some good practice for the MLS Cup Final :rolleyes:

MightyDM
09-21-2019, 11:39 PM
It really suck the way it played out, but I'm happy with a draw.

Times two

Auzzy
09-21-2019, 11:40 PM
Nah. That was all Mavinga.

Of course Mavinga screwed up. But I think he was all alone with two LAFC players. Shouldn't have been the case in that phase of the game. I'll check the replay when it's available.

Mark TFC
Well I think it's safe to say we got screwed tonight. Thanks, MLS, you've had your way once again.

ag futbol
You can argue however that Mavinga fouled him regardless. Blessing was still going to be steaming towards goal if Mavinga didn’t wipe him out.

It was a stupid challenge. TFC shouldn’t have any complaints about that one.

OgtheDim
Take it. Disappointed in what could have been but that team put in the best performance of the year tonight.

Nobody has done that to LAFC this season.

jloome
09-21-2019, 11:41 PM
If we keep playing like that we’ll be contending.

tfcfans
09-21-2019, 11:41 PM
They played well on the road against the best in the league and screwed themselves in the end - at our best we can play with anybody, but we just make too many dumb plays that cost us games repeatedly.

Now a home game is out of our hands and we need both DC and NYRB to give away points. Go Seattle and Philly!

Omar
09-21-2019, 11:42 PM
What a frustrating result. Vanney won't care one bit, but I'm absolutely gutted.

The players put in a great effort tonight and deserved the 3 points. Besides Mavinga's mistake, the whole team was flawless. I hope this result doesn't demoralise them for the upcoming 2nd leg.

OgtheDim
And.... Vanney out coached Bradley tonight.

Mark TFC
I literally turned the match off at 90 minutes plus 3 because I knew the MLS-fuckery was inevitable.

jloome
You can argue however that Mavinga fouled him regardless. Blessing was still going to be steaming towards goal if Mavinga didn’t wipe him out.
L
It was a stupid challenge. TFC shouldn’t have any complaints about that one.

He chested the ball at full speed, and I don’t think you could argue he had control.

Joe Kool
If TFC didn’t go into that stupid defensive posture then maybe we wouldn’t have a tie. See how they perked up offensively as soon as it was tied up? I hate that.

Auzzy
09-21-2019, 11:43 PM
VAR of course equalizes in the 95th minute the whole system is a joke how many points has it robbed us. Why doesn’t it look at the obvious encroachment either????? What a joke. Pick and choose to use var whenever they want. If the game isn’t called perfectly why have it

Plus missing the obvious LAFC handball in their box early in the game, that should have been VAR & penalty.

pfk
09-21-2019, 11:44 PM
Ah, so close to three points! If Mavinga wasn’t so reckless on that play, we could have got a win. Oh well. A draw was better than what I expected and we are in the playoffs.

The LAFC supporters section looks great. The stadium looks really nice.

DinamoTFC
09-21-2019, 11:45 PM
That is the attitude that went to El Volcan & the Azteca - lets see if we can do this for 90 because it only takes 90 seconds for LAFC to step on your throat and push.

We did it for 90.

Mavinga forgot about injury time. What a way for him to ruin another game.

OgtheDim
They played well on the road against the best in the league and screwed themselves in the end - at our best we can play with anybody, but we just make too many dumb plays that cost us games repeatedly.

Now a home game is out of our hands and we need both DC and NYRB to give away points. Go Seattle and Philly!

DC & NYRB play each other. Yes, they can get ahead of us. But if we win out, only 1 of them can.

MightyDM

With you. Under VAR rules it was a clear PK in the first half. I loathe it. Particularly the armpit offsides in the Premier League. Completely arbitrary.

MightyDM
09-21-2019, 11:46 PM
Too bad about the PK, but the Impact lost so TFC is in the playoffs.

Yes, but that PK likely cost us a home playoff game.

General Woolfe
09-21-2019, 11:48 PM
I’ve no complaints about the PK, but where the hell did Uncle get five minutes overtime from???

Slick
09-21-2019, 11:48 PM
What a frustrating result. Vanney won't care one bit, but I'm absolutely gutted.

The players put in a great effort tonight and deserved the 3 points. Besides Mavinga's mistake, the whole team was flawless. I hope this result doesn't demoralise them for the upcoming 2nd leg.

Yeah, Vanney doesn't care at all. That's why he put in a solid line-up, and the team responds with their strongest game in 2 years. It's all Vanneys fault. Wish there's a way to mute these comments.

ag futbol
09-21-2019, 11:50 PM
He chested the ball at full speed, and I don’t think you could argue he had control.
He certainly had work to do.

The way i’ve seen the game called in recent years, if you get very little of the ball and take down the attacker you’ll get called for the foul.

I’d say that’s very clearly what happened here. Anything Mavinga did in the challenge did less to influence the play than taking down blessing did.

Seems consistent and fair to me. If one of our guys got taken down like that in the box like that and there was no foul i’d be roundly pissed

stevep
09-21-2019, 11:52 PM

VAR is a great system for scripting games to the outcome you desire. whoever came up with it is a genius

OgtheDim
09-21-2019, 11:54 PM
Yes, but that PK likely cost us a home playoff game.

That team can beat anyone in this league away from home.
If they keep playing that good.

We are the 1 team in this league with the institutional memory how to win away matches

MightyDM
09-21-2019, 11:55 PM
DC & NYRB play each other. Yes, they can get ahead of us. But if we win out, only 1 of them can.

Yes. That still makes us 5th.

stevep
09-21-2019, 11:57 PM
I am not going to debate if or if it should not have been a penalty on Mavinga.
It was called a penalty the game ended 1-1.

now lets assume this play never occurred and TFC hung on for the win.
TFC went to LA on two days rest and beat the best team in the league.
TFC is a very good team!! you could argue the best team in the league.
how can in say tfc is the best team in the league?
because TFC went to LA on two days rest and beat the best team in the league

General Woolfe
09-21-2019, 11:58 PM
The LAFC supporters section looks great. The stadium looks really nice.
Is that drone of noise really supporting your team though? Football ebbs and flows. To me the LA support are nothing but wannabe ultras with their monotonous chants from beginning to end, whether they’re winning or losing. It’s just a wall of noise, neither intimidating, nor supportive. For me it’ll never beat the rise in atmosphere after a good passage of play from your team. Singing the same song for half an hour, with a nice little choreographed dance, inst really getting behind your team. Some groans amidst the cheers lets the players know when they need to raise their game, just as a rise in the noise after a successful attack tells them they’re doing well.

The LA thing isn’t for me. Just another dark aspect of modern football

MightyDM
09-22-2019, 12:01 AM
He certainly had work to do.

The way i’ve seen the game called in recent years, if you get very little of the ball and take down the attacker you’ll get called for the foul.

I’d say that’s very clearly what happened here. Anything Mavinga did in the challenge did less to influence the play than taking down blessing did.

Seems consistent and fair to me. If one of our guys got taken down like that in the box like that and there was no foul i’d be roundly pissed

The hand ball in the first half is always a PK under VAR. my beef is no VAR for that, but VAR for Mavinga when he did get the ball. Fair enough it’s a foul possibly after the ball, but the handball wAs clear and obvious.

DinamoTFC
Is that drone of noise really supporting your team though? Football ebbs and flows. To me the LA support are nothing but wannabe ultras with their monotonous chants from beginning to end, whether they’re winning or losing. It’s just a wall of noise, neither intimidating, nor supportive. For me it’ll never beat the rise in atmosphere after a good passage of play from your team. Singing the same song for half an hour, with a nice little choreographed dance, inst really getting behind your team. Some groans amidst the cheers lets the players know when they need to raise their game, just as a rise in the noise after a successful attack tells them they’re doing well.

Stupidest post I've read on these boards for a very long time.

I hope you don't sit in the South end cause your what's wrong with it. I would kill for an atmosphere like LAFC

JuliquE
We continue to take little steps towards peaking at the right moment.

Unbelievable performance to build on, if let down by mans doing kung fu in the box.

Kung fu, tho. *sigh*

OgtheDim
09-22-2019, 12:04 AM
Yes. That still makes us 5th.

It will take one of them winning out to do that. Might happen. But as likely not to.

stevep
09-22-2019, 12:05 AM
We continue to take little steps towards peaking at the right moment.

Unbelievable performance to build on, if let down by mans doing kung fu in the box.

Kung fu, tho. *sigh*

still support Mavinga, he is a great player, through adversity grows strength.
this wont happen again to him

JuliquE
09-22-2019, 12:09 AM
still support Mavinga, he is a great player, through adversity grows strength.
this wont happen again to him
Absolutely; hands-down been in my top three fav. players for the last couple years.

Mans doing Aikido in the box, tho—literally seconds to go.

Aikido.

MightyDM
09-22-2019, 12:11 AM
It will take one of them winning out to do that. Might happen. But as likely not to.

DC has a game in hand and still plays Cincinnati.

tfcfans
09-22-2019, 12:13 AM
To be honest; we are staring at 5th which to me is the worst playoff position to be in as you play 4th on the road and then face a resting 1st place team (who gets a bye) on the road too. At least 6th and 7th don’t play rested teams in the second round if they win, and 6th could still host a game in round 2, if 7th beats 2nd; which 5th has no opportunity to do in round 2.

Hamilton_Red
09-22-2019, 12:59 AM
Mavinga isn’t good enough. He’s had those calamitous rushes of blood to the head far too often. He snatched what would have been a statement win away in such an awful way. He’s a big part of why we have had no clean sheets this season. he’s a shadow of the 2017 player.

Brooker
09-22-2019, 01:02 AM

I thought it was just me. I'm not sure if they knew a game was going on. People with panda heads on, people dancing.... You're correct it was just a wall of noise regardless of what was happening on the pitch.

Some of the "dance moves" were fucking cringeworthy. If I was an LA supporter I'd be at the top of the southend as far away from that nonsense as possibly. Ugh.

General Woolfe
09-22-2019, 02:04 AM
Stupidest post I've read on these boards for a very long time.

I hope you don't sit in the South end cause your what's wrong with it. I would kill for an atmosphere like LAFC
You’re missing the entire point. Cheering mindlessly, not paying attention to what’s going on in the game is not supporting your team. If you’d kill for an atmosphere full of clapping pandas, singing the same song for30 minutes I suggest you find another sport

Brooker
09-22-2019, 02:08 AM
You’re missing the entire point. Cheering mindlessly, not paying attention to what’s going on in the game is not supporting your team. If you’d kill for an atmosphere full of clapping pandas, singing the same song for30 minutes I suggest you find another sport

Lol totally agree.

Carter
09-22-2019, 06:08 AM
Sounds like, something that we used to know....

69Chevy396
09-22-2019, 06:16 AM
A draw on the road is never a bad thing. What made this game special was that FO finally recognized MLS competition remains their #1 priority. Was very impressed with the resurgence but kept thinking all game how Seba could take this team to the Cup again.

TFC1154ever
09-22-2019, 06:18 AM
Great fight by this team. I said before the game I’d be ecstatic if they came out with draw, and I am, but mannn.... I just hope these 2 points, and 2 points we blew in New England don’t come back to haunt us. If we still clinch 4th, this won’t sting as much, but am I the only one who thinks this team can do damage in the post season and hoping for a potential home final? That tie basically crunched that happening.

One things for sure, today was the last day of the season that a draw is acceptable. Got to knock off the tic tacs on Wednesday, and win our last 2 games. And then post season...

SoccMan2
09-22-2019, 06:29 AM
Yes it’s nice to have clinched a playoff spot, however, the goal is trying to get that 4th.spot and get a home playoff game. You finish 7th., and unless you make the MLS Cup and the western team your facing in the final has less regular season points than TFC, then your playing all your playoff games on the road . No playoff games at BMO that would suck. Looks like anything less than 4th. place and chances of a home playoff game are pretty slim. I hate this new playoff format hopefully they go back to the home and away two game series. Maybe change the two game home and away series to a two game total points series , that way even if a team were to get blown away in the first game they would still have a chance in the second by just winning the second by any score and forcing overtime and penalty kicks if needed in the second game.

Bushmancan
09-22-2019, 06:45 AM
Just watched the game on PVR, gutted but I think we are being a bit harsh on Mavinga. He hits that ball clean 9 times out of 10. Perhaps his positioning could have been better but that makes Mavinga, Mavinga. When we play our full squad, we are a team to be reckoned with. OG and Mavinga are looking better every game. Win the last 2 and we have a really good shot at home field. Worst case Washington and New York are two pretty good cities for a road trip.

MightyDM
09-22-2019, 07:32 AM
Yes it’s nice to have clinched a playoff spot, however, the goal is trying to get that 4th.spot and get a home playoff game. You finish 7th., and unless you make the MLS Cup and the western team your facing in the final has less regular season points than TFC, then your playing all your playoff games on the road . No playoff games at BMO that would suck. Looks like anything less than 4th. place and chances of a home playoff game are pretty slim. I hate this new playoff format hopefully they go back to the home and away two game series. Maybe change the two game home and away series to a two game total points series , that way even if a team were to get blown away in the first game they would still have a chance in the second by just winning the second by any score and forcing overtime and penalty kicks if needed in the second game.

With you. Montréal 2106 was epic. Want more of that.

69Chevy396
09-22-2019, 07:39 AM
With you. Montréal 2106 was epic. Want more of that.

A draw last night will be the impetus for FO to field the best possible lineups in the final two games, as the team tries for 4th place. In other words, no B squad for next weekend. Let the B squad play on Wednesday.

Omar
09-22-2019, 07:42 AM
Yeah, Vanney doesn't care at all. That's why he put in a solid line-up, and the team responds with their strongest game in 2 years. It's all Vanneys fault. Wish there's a way to mute these comments.
It may have come out negatively (partly due to my immediate frustration), but whilst he'll be gutted too, he'll still see that as a good result against the best team this year.

I have zero criticism for Vanney's approach yesterday. He was clearly playing to win, and we should have won. I just don't think he'll be as frustrated with that result as some of the players/fans, which is fine. LAFC are a solid side, and even I'd have taken a 1-1 at the start of the match.

Mark TFC
09-22-2019, 07:55 AM
I'm not sure how anyone who supports the club can be okay with a draw here. Regardless of us sitting back the entire second half and Mavinga's individual mistake, why were there five minutes added to stoppage time to begin with? This was the league favouring LA and giving them one last shake at a result.

ag futbol
09-22-2019, 07:58 AM
The hand ball in the first half is always a PK under VAR. my beef is no VAR for that, but VAR for Mavinga when he did get the ball. Fair enough it’s a foul possibly after the ball, but the handball wAs clear and obvious.
No arguments there. The handball rule still baffles me to this day in MLS. It never gets called consistently.

OgtheDim
09-22-2019, 07:59 AM
I'm not sure how anyone who supports the club can be okay with a draw here. .

Because its football.

Unkel almost always gives 5 minutes - and that was a Pen.

ag futbol
09-22-2019, 08:04 AM
We should be talking about what we saw yesterday tactically from TFC in the first half. I’ve never seen any other MLS team pull that off. I think we tried something similar earlier this year but went down in flames trying.

It was incredible to watch. The fluidity which the players changed positions was incredible.

Ultra & Proud
09-22-2019, 08:08 AM
To be honest; we are staring at 5th which to me is the worst playoff position to be in as you play 4th on the road and then face a resting 1st place team (who gets a bye) on the road too. At least 6th and 7th don’t play rested teams in the second round if they win, and 6th could still host a game in round 2, if 7th beats 2nd; which 5th has no opportunity to do in round 2.
Except the possibility of playing at DC then NYCFC isn't that daunting at all. We play like last night for another month and a bit and it really won't matter. Like said earlier, playing tough away matches is still in our DNA.

OgtheDim
09-22-2019, 08:44 AM
We should be talking about what we saw yesterday tactically from TFC in the first half. I’ve never seen any other MLS team pull that off. I think we tried something similar earlier this year but went down in flames trying.

It was incredible to watch. The fluidity which the players changed positions was incredible.

Bradley, Delgado & Osorio man marked their midfield. It flummoxed LAFC completely as everything goes through that 3 & they have no width in the middle 3rd.

The goal is eye popping when you look back. Watch it on this video near the beginning.

https://www.tsn.ca/toronto-fc-cinches-playoff-berth-in-draw-against-lafc-1.1369675

zorsofstesab
09-22-2019, 08:59 AM
2 points I would like to make unless it has alreeady been addressed:

1) Why was Morgan standing beside Laryea when the goal was scored on the right side? He replaced Auro on the left. Looks that Blessing would have been his man to mark.

2) How does a professional soccer player swing and miss that badly when the ball is at his feet?

C.Ronaldo
09-22-2019, 10:02 AM
Mavinga clearly touched the ball first
Why is it still a PK?

ag futbol
09-22-2019, 10:08 AM
Bradley, Delgado & Osorio man marked their midfield. It flummoxed LAFC completely as everything goes through that 3 & they have no width in the middle 3rd.

The goal is eye popping when you look back. Watch it on this video near the beginning.

https://www.tsn.ca/toronto-fc-cinches-playoff-berth-in-draw-against-lafc-1.1369675
I didn’t find the defence as inspiring as the attack (although both are certainly related).

Both CB’s would setup into midfield. Everybody else from the fullbacks to the forwards played really fluidly and there were all sorts of overlaps and positional changes. We found width on both flanks and attacked through the middle. The ball moved really fast and there was all kinds of one touch passing and good runs off the ball. They finally found a way to play Osorio and Delgado on the field at the same time and get really good contributions out of both.

Too many positives to write in a short post

Bushmancan
09-22-2019, 07:40 PM
Red Bull’s win 2-0, we are 5th... 1 point behind, 2 less wins and 1 less on goal differential

tfcfans
09-22-2019, 08:13 PM

Is 6th not really better than 5th based on the new format? 5th gives you zero chance to host a round 2 game and you get a rested opponent if you win; whereas 6th could host round 2 if 7th wins, and at least if they don’t host a round 2 game, 2nd place just played a game when you did, and are playing on a short weeks rest just like 6th place does....for all these reasons, I assume we will finish in 5th....:rolleyes:

stevep
09-22-2019, 08:30 PM
TFC is back!!

Brooker
09-22-2019, 08:54 PM
I honestly couldn't believe the way they were defending. They were throwing themselves at everything as if it was a Cup Final. They were giants.

TFC is back!!

Shhhh! Keep it down!

pfk
09-23-2019, 09:58 AM
Red Bull’s win 2-0, we are 5th... 1 point behind, 2 less wins and 1 less on goal differential

We are now 6th. DC beat Seattle 2-0. We are 2pts behind DC who moved into 4th place, one win behind and equal on goal differential. 1pt behind NYRB.

If the playoffs started today we'd be playing Philly on the road. Facing either Atlanta/NER in the Conference Semis if we beat Philly.

pfk
09-23-2019, 10:02 AM
Interesting analysis from Matthew Doyle on MLS on Omar Gonzalez (I agree with the last part).

"Toronto are 6-1-5 in Gonalez's 12 starts. They are 6-9-5 in their other 20 outings. Gonzalez has been a season-changing addition."

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/09/22/armchair-analyst-all-24-mls-teams-review-week-29-analysis

ManUtd4ever
09-23-2019, 10:46 AM
Interesting analysis from Matthew Doyle on MLS on Omar Gonzalez (I agree with the last part).

"Toronto are 6-1-5 in Gonalez's 12 starts. They are 6-9-5 in their other 20 outings. Gonzalez has been a season-changing addition."

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/09/22/armchair-analyst-all-24-mls-teams-review-week-29-analysis

Not surprised by this. He's been a huge addition.

Joe Kool
09-23-2019, 11:44 AM
Not surprised by this. He's been a huge addition.

Yup. This is the first piece of info on the MLS website that mentioned anything positive about TFC's play even though it was just mentioning one player. I get kind of insulted, but not surprised, by the MLS website articles about the game. It is all about LAFC not playing as well and after the first 30 minutes LAFC showed their superiority again by getting back posesssion and all that. Gimme a break. TFC totally dominated until they went into their defensive shell allowing LAFC to look like they were getting back into the game which I wish they really didn't do because they could have done the second half just like the first if they kept up the tempo but maybe the short rest and travel was setting in a bit after dominating the first half. Doyle mentions that teams are starting to figure LAFC out which is fine and all but you going to tell me that another MLS team is going to go give them a half like that in their house? I don't think so. Give credit where it is due. Whatever though...TFC did well enough and if not for that bonehead play they could have held on. TFC went to NYCFC and gave them hell and same with LAFC. Not many teams have done that to either team this year. I am not worried about TFC having to play away to win the in the playoffs. If TFC are on their game no MLS team including NYCFC and LAFC, MLS's current darlings, will want to play us even in their own stadium.

GerMc
09-23-2019, 12:11 PM
Is 6th not really better than 5th based on the new format? 5th gives you zero chance to host a round 2 game and you get a rested opponent if you win; whereas 6th could host round 2 if 7th wins, and at least if they don’t host a round 2 game, 2nd place just played a game when you did, and are playing on a short weeks rest just like 6th place does....for all these reasons, I assume we will finish in 5th....:rolleyes:

I agree that 6th is better than 5th...I like the idea of a home game to cheer on our Reds, but I am not sure that 6th isn't also better than 4th.

jabbronies
09-23-2019, 12:44 PM

Not surprised - the decline of TFC's success the past two seasons has come at the same pace as the downfall of Drew Moors health.
Omar is what we needed since last year. If TFC dropped the ball on anything the past two years, it's been locking down a guy like Omar sooner.

Welp - they got him now - hope he continues to thrive here.

Defoe
10-06-2019, 09:29 PM
Not surprised - the decline of TFC's success the past two seasons has come at the same pace as the downfall of Drew Moors health.
Omar is what we needed since last year. If TFC dropped the ball on anything the past two years, it's been locking down a guy like Omar sooner.

Welp - they got him now - hope he continues to thrive here.

What some people seem to forget - is unlike forwards/AM's and midfielders, CB's actually mature a lot later. It's not uncommon for a CB to peak around 28-30. Gonzo is legit!

jabbronies
10-07-2019, 09:19 AM
What some people seem to forget - is unlike forwards/AM's and midfielders, CB's actually mature a lot later. It's not uncommon for a CB to peak around 28-30. Gonzo is legit!

I had a lot of concerns when he signed, age wasn't one of them. When he left MLS, he was not a CB general.
As I don't care for Liga MX and don't watch or follow it, I would assume his dip in form in Mexico came from him either trying to adapt to this new General role or him playing the Destroyer role when he should've been a general?

Anyways whatever it was, It seems like he's over it now - either because the standard is lower or he's just more comfortable with what TFC are doing. Hopefully this will last for the next 4-5 years.