PDA

View Full Version : Voyaguers Cup Final 1st Leg - TFC @ IMFC - Wed Sept 18 7:30pm - You feel the suction

OgtheDim
09-14-2019, 03:02 PM
The call to action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAlHISTNbwY

This could go two ways (there won't be another exit for days)

Have at It People

Initial B
09-14-2019, 11:23 PM
After tonight, I can see the Impact going all-in, win-at-all-costs for the Voyageurs Cup to try and salvage their season. TFC better be ready.

OgtheDim
09-15-2019, 07:23 AM
Impact played their A team last night. Piatti made it through 90.

ensco
09-15-2019, 11:44 AM
I think losing to Cincinnati at home, and thereby throwing away your playoff shot, is seriously demoralizing. I bet we pound them on Wednesday.

Initial B
09-15-2019, 11:49 AM
I'm seriously worried it's a trap game. If we lose without scoring an away goal, I'm going to be really worried.

Mikmacdo
09-15-2019, 06:48 PM
I wonder what the lineup might look like for the next two games.

Bono
Laryea-omar-mavinga-auro
Osorio-bradley-poz
Gallardo-jozy-shaffleburg

Then send to l.a

Westburg
Auro-zavs-moor-ciman-morrow
Delgado-fraser-Deleon
Mullens-endoh

Lil'John
09-15-2019, 07:32 PM
Does anyone know of a pub that will be showing this game?

OgtheDim
09-15-2019, 08:38 PM
Does anyone know of a pub that will be showing this game?

Game is not on TSN so unless you know somebody who has OneSoccer.....

leafsman
09-15-2019, 09:29 PM
Apparently soccer Canada doesn't want to grow the game. Do they own this soccer one?

TFC07
09-16-2019, 12:23 AM
Apparently soccer Canada doesn't want to grow the game. Do they own this soccer one?

They sold it to them for good amount of money. Can't blame them when mainstream Canadian media isn't interested investing into soccer.

Get used to foreign companies owning soccer TV rights outside World Cup and youth tournaments in this country.

woolly
09-16-2019, 08:40 AM
They sold it to them for good amount of money. Can't blame them when mainstream Canadian media isn't interested investing into soccer.

Get used to foreign companies owning soccer TV rights outside World Cup and youth tournaments in this country.

FWIW, Onesoccer has a 30 day free trial. I watched the CAN-CUBA game in the Caymans and it was pretty amateur hour (audio sync was out, refresh issues, single camera angle, etc..). Hope fully this feed is better.

Mikmacdo
09-16-2019, 08:43 AM
FWIW, Onesoccer has a 30 day free trial. I watched the CAN-CUBA game in the Caymans and it was pretty amateur hour (audio sync was out, refresh issues, single camera angle, etc..). Hope fully this feed is better.
That was just one game, if you watch a CPL game the production is pretty solid.

Oldtimer
09-16-2019, 08:43 AM
FWIW, Onesoccer has a 30 day free trial.

You can also pay a couple of bucks for a one-day pass if you've already used the trial.

Oldtimer
09-16-2019, 08:45 AM
I'm seriously worried it's a trap game. If we lose without scoring an away goal, I'm going to be really worried.

It's a classic trap game situation.

Demorolized or not, Montreal is always in all sports highly motivated to try to beat Toronto. If TFC lets their guard down at all, they will be down 2-0 before they knew what hit them.

OgtheDim
09-16-2019, 09:14 AM
If TFC lets their guard down at all, they will be down 2-0 before they knew what hit them.

You chose that score on purpose, didn't you.

DinamoTFC
09-16-2019, 10:04 AM
I hope we see Bono, Moor, Ciman, Osorio, 2 other Canadians, Mullins start this game. Give them some minutes to play leg 1 with starters coming off the bench. And then have a strong team also for Saturday vs LAFC.

pfk
09-16-2019, 10:37 AM
I wonder what the lineup might look like for the next two games.

Bono
Laryea-omar-mavinga-auro
Osorio-bradley-poz
Gallardo-jozy-shaffleburg

Then send to l.a

Westburg
Auro-zavs-moor-ciman-morrow
Delgado-fraser-Deleon
Mullens-endoh

Wasn't Vanney saying he wasn't going to throw any more regular season games? That second lineup, yeesh.

Initial B
09-16-2019, 10:54 AM
My Guess for the first leg:

Bono
Laryea-Ciman-Moor-Morgan
Osorio-Fraser-DeLeon
Gallardo-Mullins-Shafft

with the starters on the Bench.

kodiakTFC
09-16-2019, 12:05 PM
We need to prioritize this cup game. Lets be honest here, a result away at LAFC is unlikely. Lets go full strength against MTL and take what we can out of the LAFC game. Not to mention the benefit of giving players a break and not having them take that flight down south. Then we can gear up for the Chicago and Columbus games as well.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-16-2019, 12:15 PM
That was just one game, if you watch a CPL game the production is pretty solid.

Yeah I'm a fan. It's cheap and its the future as far as soccer in Canada goes

Oldtimer
09-16-2019, 02:51 PM
Wasn't Vanney saying he wasn't going to throw any more regular season games? That second lineup, yeesh.

He said he was going to play his best 15 in the league. He may go a little beyond that, but he's going to play a strong lineup in LA for momentum. So the real question is how weak a lineup do you play in Montreal and not get too far behind to be able to win the tie in Toronto?

Red CB Toronto
09-16-2019, 02:54 PM
We need to prioritize this cup game. Lets be honest here, a result away at LAFC is unlikely. Lets go full strength against MTL and take what we can out of the LAFC game. Not to mention the benefit of giving players a break and not having them take that flight down south. Then we can gear up for the Chicago and Columbus games as well.

Thing trip involves training as I am 110% sure they will fly straight to LA from Montreal on Thursday morning so they will have to have numbers for it beyond 18. I think the rosters will be a mix as you also have to consider that they played last night thus making this a quick turn around.

rydermike
09-16-2019, 05:59 PM
Shaffelberg-Altidore-Endoh
Osorio-Bradley-Fraser
Morgan-Ciman-Moor-Laryea
Bono

*I'm thinking Altidore gets suspended so will miss LAFC game. If no suspension, Mullins may start over him

Defoe
09-16-2019, 07:38 PM
Let’s not forget, the ultimate goal has to be to be the best team in North America.

We can’t qualify for champions league even with a win in the MLS cup final. Prioritize Canadian championship, always. Send the B team to L.A

Oldtimer
09-16-2019, 09:02 PM
Let’s not forget, the ultimate goal has to be to be the best team in North America.

We can’t qualify for champions league even with a win in the MLS cup final. Prioritize Canadian championship, always. Send the B team to L.A

It's two-legged against Montreal. Vanney specifically referenced that after the last match. I think he feels he can field a middling team (not an A squad but not a B squad either) against Montreal in Montreal and then hammer them with the A team in Toronto on the return. History backs him up on this.

LA is a one-off. He continues to play the A team against them hoping that the momentum carries and TFC gets a point (or three).

I agree with you that the Canadian Championship is really important, btw, but I also think that Vanney is realistic that TFC can beat Montreal over two legs almost all of the time, and doesn't have to go all-out in Montreal.

ensco
09-16-2019, 09:56 PM
I would bet money that Vanney plays “half” lineups against both Montreal and LAFC this week.

He is in the playoffs now. Guys like Pozo and Altidore must be protected. They will each sit one of these games. I wonder if Pozo shouldn’t sit both.

They need to be ready to go full strength in the second leg, and also against Chicago the following weekend.

akoto
09-17-2019, 09:32 AM
Away supporters section in 112 at Saputo?

Lil'John
09-17-2019, 10:08 AM
Viewing party at 817 Sports Bar, 817 Queen West.
We'll be there!

By the way, I'm surprised by the sugggestion that Vanney would not play his best team at LAFC. We know from last year, and against Houston this year, what this leads to. Players all over the world play twice a week - LAFC is the only long trip left (until the final)! RSL won @ LAFC recently and we absolutely need to get that higher playoff place and those home games (remember all play off games one leg this year), and having a winning streak going into the playoffs will be great.

Red CB Toronto
09-17-2019, 11:19 AM
Away supporters section in 112 at Saputo?

Yes it is.

Red4ever
09-17-2019, 11:46 AM
Forever in our shadow you will be
Your hearts are full of pain and jelousy
Montreal, Montreal
Remember when you blew that 3 goal lead?

ensco
09-17-2019, 12:05 PM
Viewing party at 817 Sports Bar, 817 Queen West.
We'll be there!

By the way, I'm surprised by the sugggestion that Vanney would not play his best team at LAFC. We know from last year, and against Houston this year, what this leads to. Players all over the world play twice a week - LAFC is the only long trip left (until the final)! RSL won @ LAFC recently and we absolutely need to get that higher playoff place and those home games (remember all play off games one leg this year), and having a winning streak going into the playoffs will be great.

Throwing early season games is different. We are already in the playoffs, only issue is seeding. It is really not clear that value of a single home playoff game is worth it.

TFC1154ever
09-17-2019, 12:53 PM
Forever in our shadow you will be
Your hearts are full of pain and jelousy
Montreal, Montreal
Remember when you blew that 3 goal lead?

Lol, great tune.

pfk
09-18-2019, 08:28 AM
Game day!!!

CBTFC
09-18-2019, 08:38 AM
Super curious as to what the Starting 11 and travelling 18 will be. Hmmmmm.

Red CB Toronto
09-18-2019, 08:44 AM
Super curious as to what the Starting 11 and travelling 18 will be. Hmmmmm.

22 made the trip with more that could join them in LA.

MightyDM
09-18-2019, 09:40 AM
I would bet money that Vanney plays “half” lineups against both Montreal and LAFC this week.

He is in the playoffs now. Guys like Pozo and Altidore must be protected. They will each sit one of these games. I wonder if Pozo shouldn’t sit both.

They need to be ready to go full strength in the second leg, and also against Chicago the following weekend.

I don’t think Poz will sit both, but he should. Oso is playing well, and Poz has played a lot of soccer over the past 18 months.

Also like Bradley Fraser v Montréal. Marky should get a rest.

Chapman has disappeared off the radar but was doing well until the Houston game.

ag futbol
09-18-2019, 10:07 AM
I think it makes a lot of sense to start Osorio in place of Poz. Put Mullins in ahead of Altidore. Possibly Shaffelburg on the left.

We really should be able to take these guys without our strongest lineup. They’re a complete mess.

OgtheDim
09-18-2019, 11:12 AM
22 made the trip with more that could join them in LA.

Interesting...they took a lot on the swing through Cinci & NY too.

Section_105
09-18-2019, 11:40 AM
I don’t think Poz will sit both, but he should. Oso is playing well, and Poz has played a lot of soccer over the past 18 months.

Also like Bradley Fraser v Montréal. Marky should get a rest.

Chapman has disappeared off the radar but was doing well until the Houston game.

totally agree. he looks gassed. a few days off of training to let your muscles rebuild and your mind balance could be very beneficial to him for the rest of our stretch.

Captain
09-18-2019, 02:55 PM
Can anyone walk me through what I need to do in order to watch this game on my TV? Please take in mind I'm an absolute tech idiot.

Joe Kool
09-18-2019, 03:07 PM
Can anyone walk me through what I need to do in order to watch this game on my TV? Please take in mind I'm an absolute tech idiot.

Onesoccer.ca is the only place you can watch the game at home so first things first, did you subscribe?

If you have subscribed to that then it is a matter of getting that stream onto your TV which can be done a number of ways but it depends on what type of devices you are dealing with. I have two TV's in my house. One TV is a smart TV and has a browser built in so I just navigate to onesoccer.ca from there, log in to my account and play the stream on the TV. The other TV I have does not have a built in browser so I just use an HDMI cable (type of audio/video cable) from my laptop HDMI output and plug it into my HDMI input on my TV and then select that input using the TV remote and it will play anything played on the laptop. That is what I personally do. Other people may use casting or streaming devices as well. It all depends on what you have available.

SirBobSaget
09-18-2019, 03:10 PM
I won't be able to watch on OneSoccer at 7:30pm. Previously I was able to sit and watch the replay at 9:45pm but doesnt look like they are replaying on the Live channel this time.

When is the game available to stream on demand? Or if I catch the live stream while the game is still in play am i able to rewind to the beginning as is possible with Dazn?

Luanda
09-18-2019, 03:11 PM
Has anyone tried/used a VPN to catch this game online? Is it possible at all? :facepalm:

Areathrasher
09-18-2019, 03:35 PM
Has anyone tried/used a VPN to catch this game online? Is it possible at all? :facepalm:

I dont believe OneSoccer is geoblocked

Yohan
09-18-2019, 04:17 PM
https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/07/11/look-back-what-makes-rivalry-between-montreal-impact-toronto-fc-epic?autoplay=true

Another Toronto vs Mtl mini doc

Section_105
09-18-2019, 04:56 PM
cute little doc. makes me laugh the things montreal take pride in. always in our shadow fighting for some measure of relevance.

I love when we destroy their hopes and dreams

OgtheDim
09-18-2019, 05:00 PM
They will be bringing their A game.

The league fights are one thing.

This is a derby for a cup & for CCL - they know we want this bad. This is going to be quite the journey starting tonight. 180 minutes where you can lose it in the first 90 but you can't win it in the first 90.

James17930
09-18-2019, 05:48 PM
Good lineup. I like it. Unfortunately, with it being on Onesoccer, I'm not going to be able to watch it.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EEx6ylcXoAAFdxI.jpg

613reppingTFC
09-18-2019, 05:59 PM
Not a bad looking lineup, as someone mentioned Chapman totally off the radar even in can champs..been a while since he played at this point though. Glad to see Shaff out there though, hope he runs them into the ground

Mikmacdo
09-18-2019, 06:21 PM
I would like to see Fraser play or at least be a sub. I feel like this tournament should require 5 Canadians Starting or 6 whatever the CPL teams are required to play with.

Slick
09-18-2019, 06:22 PM
Mind boggling how this game is not televised.

Captain
09-18-2019, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the advice. I signed up for a 24 hr subscription. Have my computer connected to the TV. All’s good but... no. The video just keeps lagging and only plays five seconds at a time. (Halifax game). Is this the way it’s going to be? My internet connection is great for Netflix and watching just about anything else.

SPALE
09-18-2019, 06:26 PM
Mind boggling how this game is not televised.

I hear ya. I just don’t understand how the final is still not on any major network. I can’t figure out how a half ass website/app was able to get these tv rights over tsn or even SN. I paid the 6 bucks or whatever it is for the day pass on the site and it’s not much but still don’t get it

Captain
09-18-2019, 06:33 PM
Can I pause the game?

Oldtimer
09-18-2019, 06:36 PM
This lineup means Altidore is not being suspended for league play, good news for us.

Oldtimer
09-18-2019, 06:36 PM
Can I pause the game?

Yes, don't know for how long.

flatpicker
09-18-2019, 06:38 PM
Bizarre that I can find CPL and USL streams, but not this game.

OgtheDim
09-18-2019, 06:40 PM
If you don't want Wheeler, there is a French language version on onesoccer.

OgtheDim
09-18-2019, 06:43 PM
Bono showing within a minute why he is not starting - kicks a ball out of bounds.

JavierMartini
09-18-2019, 06:46 PM
anyone have a stream

Oldtimer
09-18-2019, 06:52 PM
No VAR in this series means ref's decisions are final.

Omar
09-18-2019, 06:54 PM
As usual, TFC have started slowly away from home. They're sluggish in possession of the ball, and players aren't making themselves available to receive the pass. There's a lack of communication between our players. Montréal are having an easy time pressing us and winning the ball high up the pitch.

Oldtimer
09-18-2019, 06:55 PM
It looks like a Montreal goal is inevitable.

OgtheDim
09-18-2019, 06:55 PM
Laryea can't handle Piatti without help & Gallardo ain't going to do that.

Omar
09-18-2019, 06:56 PM
One thing I don't get is that we're defending quite narrow without pressing the ball. The Montréal players are getting way too much time on the ball and are switching the ball to the opposite flank with ease. Shaffelburg needs to be closer to ZBG, and our players need to not fear conceding fouls against the Impact.

Omar
09-18-2019, 06:59 PM
Inevitable. Hopefully that serves as a wake-up call to the players.

OgtheDim
Yeah, that was inevitable. Gave every player in that build up way too much space.

Oldtimer
Hate to say it, but it looked inevitable.

Luanda
09-18-2019, 07:00 PM
Like the good old days...in French, though.

Piatti just scored!!

https://www.985fm.ca/nouvelles/sports/247251/ecoutez-en-direct-le-match-de-limpact-de-montreal-des-19h (https://www.985fm.ca/nouvelles/sports/247251/ecoutez-en-direct-le-match-de-limpact-de-montreal-des-19h)

Omar
09-18-2019, 07:01 PM
DeLeon's defending has been terrible off the ball. He looks out of place in the midfield. He has no understanding of the defensive side of his role, taking up positions too far ahead and wide and leaving big spaces in front of our defence.

zorsofstesab
09-18-2019, 07:02 PM
Not much offensive. Not sure what the game plan was? Bunker down and see what Montreal brings? Well they are in attack mode. I say attack back.

Omar
09-18-2019, 07:03 PM
Well, that's my money wasted. Thanks OneSoccer.

ag futbol
09-18-2019, 07:04 PM
That was a nice strike.

Attack wise for TFC everything is disjoined. Moor and Ciman are slow distributing the ball. Bono isn't exactly the extra outlet Westburg is. If it gets to the midfield DeLeon has terrible vision and can't weight a pass. Osorio is playing too advanced to get the ball. Everyone is blanketing Bradley (not surprisingly). There has to be a better way to tactically setup these players. This arrangement makes no sense.

Edit: F off with the technical difficulties.

Mikmacdo
09-18-2019, 07:05 PM
Onesoccer is trash. Wheeler is awful as a commentator.

Hopefully pozuelo and jozy come off the bench.

Omar
09-18-2019, 07:05 PM
Not much offensive. Not sure what the game plan was? Bunker down and see what Montreal brings? Well they are in attack mode. I say attack back.
The players are lacking chemistry with each other. There is no understanding of where they should position themselves relative to others, and they're largely just hanging around in their assigned areas. They didn't look prepared for Montréal's pressing game, which is quite surprising.

OgtheDim
09-18-2019, 07:06 PM
FWIW, the French sound is still on. Edit: and its back.

Ciman's passing is pathetic.

BritSOL
09-18-2019, 07:06 PM
Glad I signed up for the free trial with OneSoccer. Not impressed with feed so far

Omar
09-18-2019, 07:07 PM
This reminds me of the New England game away from home except we are behind this time. The players defaulting to their own usual playing styles isn't helping us going forward.

Omar
09-18-2019, 07:08 PM
Wheeler is awful as a commentator.
I actually don't mind Wheeler much. He may not have a commentator's voice, but he knows what he's talking about, and he sounds informed enough to not make the commentary awkward.

Omar
09-18-2019, 07:10 PM
Moor may not be bad on the ball, but why is he going higher up than Bradley? Surely it has to be the other way around. It's not like Bradley's pacy himself.

zorsofstesab
09-18-2019, 07:17 PM
So TSN2 has MLB Philly vs Atlanta. MLB trumps this game? Who cares about MLB when it's 2 American teams playing?

Omar
09-18-2019, 07:19 PM
So TSN2 has MLB Philly vs Atlanta. MLB trumps this game? Who cares about MLB when it's 2 American teams playing?
OneSoccer's creator, MediaPro, are a long-term media partner with Canada Soccer. This basically means that they will be broadcasting Canadian Championship games for some time.

ag futbol
09-18-2019, 07:20 PM
Couldn’t broadcast the game even if they wanted to. They don’t have the rights

Oldtimer
09-18-2019, 07:21 PM

Onesoccer.ca paid for the rights, and to their credit has shown all the games.

OgtheDim
09-18-2019, 07:24 PM
What we need from here on in is a 1-1 draw over the next 50 minutes.

Go back home down 2-1 & I'm OK.

And we can score against these guys.

Omar
09-18-2019, 07:25 PM
How was that Piatti shoulder check not a foul? It wasn't even a shoulder-to-shoulder challenge.

ag futbol
09-18-2019, 07:29 PM
wilmer cabrera is not so smart. Why not wait until after half time to see if you need to make that sub?

OgtheDim
09-18-2019, 07:33 PM
The problem with this lineup is there are 3 guys on there who are all likely to be subbed due to fatigue - Gallardo, Shaff & DeLeon. The obvious formation keeping subs for them don't move the needle out there - Morgan, Auro, Delgado.

Mikmacdo
09-18-2019, 07:40 PM
Poz for Deleon, jozy in for mullens and auro in for shaff then move laryea to wing and gallardo to left wing.

zorsofstesab
09-18-2019, 07:54 PM
Drew Moor. wtf. almost cost us a goal with that give away. A simple pass right to the MTL player

tfcfans
09-18-2019, 07:57 PM
Looks like we are playing in quicksand - no flow to our game....just don’t give up the second goal....

OgtheDim
09-18-2019, 08:01 PM
Looks like we are playing in quicksand - no flow to our game....just don’t give up the second goal....

Even if we lose 1-0, we will have to score 3 at home because there is no way this defence doesn't give up a goal in that game.

We

Need

A

Goal

Omar
09-18-2019, 08:03 PM
Pozuelo's been our only bright spark this half. The rest are playing too sluggishly. They seem to have no confidence in themselves.

Oldtimer
09-18-2019, 08:10 PM
Good shot stop by Bono.

Omar
09-18-2019, 08:13 PM
What's the point of bringing Delgado on for Shaff? The last thing we need to do is get narrower going forward.

Oldtimer
09-18-2019, 08:17 PM
What's the point of bringing Delgado on for Shaff? The last thing we need to do is get narrower going forward.

Change of formation. TFC is not going narrower.

Omar
09-18-2019, 08:20 PM
Change of formation. TFC is not going narrower.
If Morrow pushes up and keeps providing the width, sure. It also looks like Oso's playing in that wide midfield role akin to Benezet. His influence has dwindled, but it's not like he did too much anyways. Most of our chances have come from Pozuelo's passes to Altidore.

MightyDM
09-18-2019, 08:21 PM
I hear ya. I just don’t understand how the final is still not on any major network. I can’t figure out how a half ass website/app was able to get these tv rights over tsn or even SN. I paid the 6 bucks or whatever it is for the day pass on the site and it’s not much but still don’t get it

It used to be the law that TSN and Sportsnet has to televise this kind of event as part of their license. At some point they got let off

SPALE
09-18-2019, 08:22 PM

Have you seen the way shaff was playing. Shit at that point anything was an upgrade. Him Moore Ciman Mullins just brutal tonight Shit whole team is just brutal tonight

zorsofstesab
09-18-2019, 08:23 PM
Urruti is a bit of a prick.

Omar
09-18-2019, 08:24 PM
Have you seen the way shaff was playing. Shit at that point anything was an upgrade. Him Moore Ciman Mullins just brutal tonight Shit whole team is just brutal tonight
Shaff didn't get too involved. Any time he was 1-on-1 against ZBG, he made life difficult for him. The whole team just played too slowly to really stretch Montréal.

Once again, I look at Vanney and how he sets us up away from home. We play with more fear than we do at home.

Omar
09-18-2019, 08:25 PM
Hah, what a dumb yellow from Taïder. Now he's suspended for the 2nd leg.

tfcfans
09-18-2019, 08:25 PM
Well that was a dumb card by Taider....

Omar
09-18-2019, 08:31 PM
You know what? As terrible as we've been, at least the score was 1-0. We are still in contention with that scoreline.

Oldtimer
09-18-2019, 08:35 PM
I'm ok with this result.

ag futbol
09-18-2019, 08:36 PM
Not a terrible result overall but we didn't exactly put our best foot forward today. The way we started the game Vanney made his players fit his formation rather than his formation fit his players.

Oldtimer
09-18-2019, 08:38 PM
Once again, I look at Vanney and how he sets us up away from home. We play with more fear than we do at home.

There's a game in LA coming so he rotated somewhat. Any intelligent coach would do the same. Our problem is that our depth isn't good enough.

OgtheDim
09-18-2019, 08:38 PM
Need a 2+ goal win one way shape or form.

Could have, and probably should have, been worse - live to fight on but we have to fix the speed of play when its Moor & Ciman.

Mikmacdo
09-18-2019, 09:03 PM
Not feeling too good about winning this. Tfc cant keep a clean sheet to save their life so they need to score 3 at home.

notthesun
09-18-2019, 09:16 PM
We can score 3 at home vs. Montreal. I think we're okay here but I would rest the big boys against LAFC.

69Chevy396
09-18-2019, 10:23 PM
We can score 3 at home vs. Montreal. I think we're okay here but I would rest the big boys against LAFC.
No. No. No. What proves to be the most entertaining TFC game in the MLS season should not be treated like an exhibition match. We saw what happened last year when games were forfeited, and frankly, few moderate fans (like what I have become), don’t give a shit about the Voyaguers cup.

SirBobSaget
09-18-2019, 10:25 PM
Could have been worse. Montreal fielded a top lineup so Piatti went a full 90, Bojan went off injured, Taider is out on yellows. Still a job to do but will be a weaker Montreal squad trying to hold on to their advantage. Hoping Vanney concedes the LAFC game leaving the key players behind to rest.

Omar
09-18-2019, 10:28 PM
There's a game in LA coming so he rotated somewhat. Any intelligent coach would do the same. Our problem is that our depth isn't good enough.
There's nothing wrong with the rotations. I definitely appreciate that. It's the attitude and application of the players that worried me, and this isn't a recent issue. I thought that our players were good enough to test Montréal and push them to their limits. We've seen them put in good performances before. Most of them also played together several times, so chemistry shouldn't have been an issue. The only real problem was the lack of a creative player, but that doesn't explain our terrible build up and nonexistent wing play in the first half. We didn't even use Mullins as a target man in the first half.

I hope we can see a better performance against LA with a full-strength side, but I'm not expecting it.

Initial B
09-18-2019, 10:35 PM
Could have been worse. Montreal fielded a top lineup so Piatti went a full 90, Bojan went off injured, Taider is out on yellows. Still a job to do but will be a weaker Montreal squad trying to hold on to their advantage. Hoping Vanney concedes the LAFC game leaving the key players behind to rest.
This.
Montreal just started their A-team versus our B-team. They've pretty much thrown away the LAG match and are going to be all-in come next Wednesday and play strict park-the-bus counter to go for a draw and the win. A Canadian Championship is the only thing that will salvage their season now, and you know Joey is going to be in their ear about that. Vanney is not going to rest the starters against LAFC, so expect our run of cups to end this year...

Joe Kool
09-18-2019, 10:50 PM
This.
Montreal just started their A-team versus our B-team. They've pretty much thrown away the LAG match and are going to be all-in come next Wednesday and play strict park-the-bus counter to go for a draw and the win. A Canadian Championship is the only thing that will salvage their season now, and you know Joey is going to be in their ear about that. Vanney is not going to rest the starters against LAFC, so expect our run of cups to end this year...

He basically said in the post game today that we will have a full A team lineup in LA. I expect our A team to play both games having rested guys today. A weakened Montreal will definitely park the bus at BMO and hope for a lucky wonder strike from Piatti again to win them the title like you said. It won't be pretty and the longer we go without scoring we will see the time wasting stunts start to happen unless TFC score a couple early then Montreal will have no choice to break out of the park the bus strategy and try to play.

MightyDM
09-19-2019, 12:31 AM
I seem to see this differently than others. We fielded a good competitive lineup - outside of the CB’s , everyone on the pitch were regular starters on this club. But we were slow moving the ball and couldn’t cope with Montreal’s energy early on. Schaff looked rusty, Mullins And Gallardo were not at their best. Oso and DeLeon only ok. Vanney either didn’t accept that making too many changes kills the rhythm or knew it but believed that worst case it would be 1-0.

I really want us to win. I loved our CCL run. But we disrespected the competition in Panama. Fate might conspire against us next week.

Mikmacdo
09-19-2019, 06:13 AM
The front 5 that started are all back-ups at this point. No wonder they didnt score.

OgtheDim
09-19-2019, 06:13 AM
I seem to see this differently than others. We fielded a good competitive lineup - outside of the CB’s , everyone on the pitch were regular starters on this club. But we were slow moving the ball and couldn’t cope with Montreal’s energy early on. ...

Yup.

We looked like a team on 3 days rest playing a team on 4 days rest

or

we looked like a team playing its 4th game in 18 days against a team playing its 2nd

The travel on the weekend will even it out a bit.

Yohan
09-19-2019, 06:37 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHd3oV8M9NU

OgtheDim
09-19-2019, 06:37 AM
Seems Benezet is breeching the Toronto / Montreal divide

https://twitter.com/NicolasBenezet/status/1174646624628498432

Initial B
09-19-2019, 08:33 AM
Interesting to see he's a One-Piece fan. Not sure what "pailladin" means in French. Is it something you say when your sick?

ag futbol
09-19-2019, 08:46 AM
Yup.

We looked like a team on 3 days rest playing a team on 4 days rest

or

we looked like a team playing its 4th game in 18 days against a team playing its 2nd

The travel on the weekend will even it out a bit.
Well, certainly a bit of that.

My biggest observation was we struggled to move the ball through midfield the second they closed down Bradley. Once Pozuelo and Delgado were inserted into the game that opened things up. Didn’t think the front three we started was necessarily bad. Mullins for example had a heck of a hard time getting the ball. Difficult for him to be criticized when he’s not getting any opportunity.

We need to start thinking about this more. Especially in advance of next year when Bradley will be gone (in all likelihood).

Mikmacdo
09-19-2019, 08:48 AM
Well, certainly a bit of that.

My biggest observation was we struggled to move the ball through midfield the second they closed down Bradley. Once Pozuelo and Delgado were inserted into the game that opened things up. Didn’t think the front three we started was necessarily bad. Mullins for example had a heck of a hard time getting the ball. Difficult for him to be criticized when he’s not getting any opportunity.

We need to start thinking about this more. Especially in advance of next year when Bradley will be gone (in all likelihood).

Dunfield was right when he said the front three are all too vertical. Gallardo and Shaff don’t cut inside so there was too much space between them and Mullens.

Redpunkfiddle
09-19-2019, 08:49 AM
Interesting to see he's a One-Piece fan. Not sure what "pailladin" means in French. Is it something you say when your sick?

Benezet is from Montpellier and played for their youth team. Their nickname is la Paillade, so he’s a pallaidin.

Oldtimer
09-19-2019, 08:58 AM

It's a reference to Montpellier in French football.

Edit: I see Redpunkfiddle answered this.

ag futbol
09-19-2019, 09:04 AM
Dunfield was right when he said the front three are all too vertical. Gallardo and Shaff don’t cut inside so there was too much space between them and Mullens.
Sure, they don’t find the pockets the same way Benezet or Pozuelo do for example. But I think regardless of whether they drifted inside or stayed linear the same problems would have occurred. 1v1 Gallardo and Shaffelburg both have the ability to be effective. The team never found them in those types of positions unfortunately.

The issue was the ball movement through the midfield. Bradley was blanketed (not much he can do). Osorio was too advanced. DeLeon couldn’t weight a good pass to save his life and doesn’t see the field well. Further to that Morrow’s passing range is limited. Moor and Ciman’s passing was decent. Not as good as Mavinga / Gonzalez, but good enough to keep the team running.

The only way the ball was getting to more advanced positions was when Laryea started to drift forward or walk into midfield taking advantage of an unbalanced Montreal defence that put several players in behind Bradley who was smart enough to switch the play when the defence collapsed around him.

But all-and-all DeLeon and Osorio need to provide better outlets and get the ball forward to our attackers. Those were the two primary culprits in my opinion.

C.Ronaldo
09-19-2019, 10:31 AM
I seem to see this differently than others. We fielded a good competitive lineup - outside of the CB’s , everyone on the pitch were regular starters on this club. But we were slow moving the ball and couldn’t cope with Montreal’s energy early on. Schaff looked rusty, Mullins And Gallardo were not at their best. Oso and DeLeon only ok. Vanney either didn’t accept that making too many changes kills the rhythm or knew it but believed that worst case it would be 1-0.

I really want us to win. I loved our CCL run. But we disrespected the competition in Panama. Fate might conspire against us next week.

thats it, too many changes

Osorio hasn't started in a while, cant expect him to be firing on all cylinders on his own with different players.

If shaff scored that one (with the great save), this home-away is a whole nother story

James17930
09-20-2019, 01:58 AM
We'll cream them at BMO. Not worried at all.

benito
09-20-2019, 12:46 PM
We'll cream them at BMO. Not worried at all.

I like this confidence!! :thumbsup:

notthesun
09-20-2019, 03:14 PM
Piatti, Krkic and Urruti all staying home for Montreal for their match vs. LA Galaxy this weekend.

Initial B
09-20-2019, 09:27 PM
Piatti, Krkic and Urruti all staying home for Montreal for their match vs. LA Galaxy this weekend.
Yup, they're pushing all their chips into this hand intent on winning the VC. I *really* hope TFC can win so the Impact will have no bright spots to focus on this year. Joey cheese must be getting desperate looking at his renewal numbers. Reminds me of what TFC used to do each year...

Ultra & Proud
09-20-2019, 11:27 PM

But they're life and death, mostly death, to make the playoffs. Could you imagine on here if we were in their spot with a few matches left and pulled this move?

Captain
09-21-2019, 12:28 AM
They're basically giving up on making the playoffs. That's a bad way to go about business for most fans.