PDA

View Full Version : Fraser to be named Rapids new head coach

Blkndkr
08-25-2019, 06:40 AM
https://www.espn.com/soccer/colorado-rapids/story/3928260/sources-fraser-to-be-named-new-rapids-coach

This, plus yesterday’s victory, secures Vanney’s tenure until the end of the year at least.

Oldtimer
08-25-2019, 06:42 AM
Congratulations to him. May he do well (except against TFC).

OgtheDim
08-25-2019, 06:43 AM
Good for him. They've been talking for months, supposedly.

Hope we whip his ass in a few weeks.

ensco
08-25-2019, 08:41 AM
“Conspiracy ensco” finds the timing of this fascinating. Colorado has needed a manager for months.

I suspect Fraser was going to be the manager of an MLS team by Monday, the only question was, which one?

ensco
08-25-2019, 08:42 AM
Also - good for him. Congrats Robin.

You always want your club to be a place where people can get big opportunities. That's part of what's required to attract the best people.

Blkndkr
08-25-2019, 10:25 AM
My thoughts exactly.
“Conspiracy ensco” finds the timing of this fascinating. Colorado has needed a manager for months.

I suspect Fraser was going to be the manager of an MLS team by Monday, the only question was, which one?

Ultra & Proud
08-25-2019, 11:06 AM

Unless there's word floating that TFC were going to jettison most of the staff or at least Vanney & Fraser.

Areathrasher
08-25-2019, 11:55 AM
It was reported months ago that the Rapids wanted him. Now why it took so long for him to accept...

Oldtimer
08-25-2019, 12:37 PM
It was reported months ago that the Rapids wanted him. Now why it took so long for him to accept...

Molinaro tweeted that Fraser was torn. He loved being in Toronto but also wanted another chance to be head coach.

MightyDM
08-25-2019, 12:57 PM
He has been a loyal servant to this club and never let ego get in the way. Good for him, and good for Vanney and Manning to let him take this opportunity at this moment.

Red CB Toronto
08-25-2019, 03:02 PM
Congrats to Robin. Will be interesting to see how the staff is restructured moving forward, does someone move up from within the organization or does Greg have someone in mind?

notthesun
08-25-2019, 03:36 PM
I gotta say I don't know if Colorado is the job I would want to try to get my head coaching career off the ground. All the best to him though and I hope it works out.

OgtheDim
08-25-2019, 03:38 PM
Rapids coaches are hired to be fired.

He'll be back, and in charge of this team, within 10 years.

MightyDM
08-25-2019, 03:40 PM
I gotta say I don't know if Colorado is the job I would want to try to get my head coaching career off the ground. All the best to him though and I hope it works out.

This is another thing that makes me wonder if Vanney wants to stay past the end of this year.

Initial B
08-25-2019, 03:42 PM

I'm of the mind that was the case as well. I'm happy he's getting a chance to be a head coach again. I wish him the best of luck turning things around over there.

I'm also very curious to see how Colorado plays next year and if there are TFC-esque formations and tactics used. I hope they give him at least 3 transfer windows to implement his style of play.

JuliquE
08-25-2019, 04:48 PM
I'm of the mind that was the case as well. I'm happy he's getting a chance to be a head coach again. I wish him the best of luck turning things around over there.

I'm also very curious to see how Colorado plays next year and if there are TFC-esque formations and tactics used. I hope they give him at least 3 transfer windows to implement his style of play.
If you looked up "class act" in the encyclopedia, there's sure to be a picture of Robin Fraser there.

Great servant, and a good man. Thanks for helping us on to glory and all else you've contributed behind the scenes.

Have a sneaking feeling management see this as an opportunity to get in Vanney's replacement; will be interesting to get a read of Vanney's reaction to whomever's brought in to fill Fraser's shoes.

ensco
08-25-2019, 06:37 PM
Curtis will probably replace him with someone from Duke circa 2000.

Shane Battier has a good head on him and is available.

Oldtimer
08-25-2019, 08:27 PM
Wheeler just tweeted from the Politburo that Fraser is not being immediately replaced, but they will be looking internally if they choose to replace him.

https://mobile.twitter.com/GarethWheeler/status/1165786911912484864

Sounds like they are thinking through their options.

DinamoTFC
08-25-2019, 08:33 PM
Would be great if we could convince Cheyrou to come back and be assistant coach.

OgtheDim
08-25-2019, 09:25 PM
Wheeler just tweeted from the Politburo that Fraser is not being immediately replaced, but they will be looking internally if they choose to replace him.

I would have been very surprised if TFC named an assistant - there is no reason for management to play games with Vanney's head right now. I get there is a lot of conspiracy theory stuff going on right now but Curtis' doesn't look better by TFC not making the playoffs.

MightyDM
08-25-2019, 09:39 PM

Vanney should be choosing and hiring this person. If he is thinking of leaving it would make sense that he wouldn’t hire

JuliquE
08-26-2019, 06:02 AM
Would be great if we could convince Cheyrou to come back and be assistant coach.
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/001/535/017/c85.jpg

starter
08-26-2019, 07:24 AM

Cheyrou is pure class

Areathrasher
08-26-2019, 09:19 AM
We got 75k in GAM from the Rapids for Fraser. Not bad.

https://twitter.com/JeffreyCarlisle/status/1165659478324207617?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1165659478324207617&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bigsoccer.com%2Fthreads%2 F2019-coaching-search-thread.2103799%2Fpage-8

Also - I wonder if the Raipds end up trading for a TFC player or two in the offseason.

Oldtimer
08-26-2019, 09:37 AM
Also - I wonder if the Raipds end up trading for a TFC player or two in the offseason.

That's a good point. It's totally possible in a number of positions where TFC has a little too much depth but Colorado may have a need.

I wonder if we can somehow work out some kind of deal where they take Zavaleta? :smile:

Ossington Mental Youth
08-26-2019, 01:52 PM
That's a good point. It's totally possible in a number of positions where TFC has a little too much depth but Colorado may have a need.

I wonder if we can somehow work out some kind of deal where they take Zavaleta? :smile:

And Moor

OgtheDim
08-26-2019, 02:15 PM
And Moor

Kloke had an article out on the weekend where he asked Moor about coaching & he has no interest (although he would be excellent at it). Personally, I'd like to see Moor in the commentary booth somewhere. I suspect Moor retires a red.

Red CB Toronto
08-26-2019, 02:38 PM
Danny would be a great choice for a promotion to the first team. But I am not sure he would look at it that way. From what I understand he is all about youth development and I can see him wanting to stay within the academy setup. Plus he has already been a first team assistant so he already knows what it would be like.

Ultra & Proud
08-26-2019, 03:10 PM
Personally, I'd like to see Moor in the commentary booth somewhere.

Me too. He would be an absolute improvement on Caldwell.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-26-2019, 04:59 PM
Kloke had an article out on the weekend where he asked Moor about coaching & he has no interest (although he would be excellent at it). Personally, I'd like to see Moor in the commentary booth somewhere. I suspect Moor retires a red.

Heard rumors pre season about him pushing to leave, wife wants to go back to USA. Wouldn't surprise me if he retired or left

jloome
08-26-2019, 06:40 PM

Not his first head coaching gig; he had a couple of difficult years at Chivas USA, where Vanney was his assistant, if I recall.

MightyDM
08-26-2019, 08:57 PM
Not his first head coaching gig; he had a couple of difficult years at Chivas USA, where Vanney was his assistant, if I recall.

Correct

notthesun
08-26-2019, 11:19 PM

Yeah I meant a coaching gig that would serve as a jumping off point to bigger clubs, upwards momentum etc., not actually his first role. Not sure Colorado is the place. Similar to Chivas in that respect actually...

ensco
08-27-2019, 03:34 PM
Interesting backhanded compliment

https://twitter.com/plattoli/status/1166431648206004224?s=21

notthesun
08-27-2019, 06:18 PM
Interesting backhanded compliment

https://twitter.com/plattoli/status/1166431648206004224?s=21

I think it might read that way in a tweet but is probably not how he meant it. I figure it's "he taught me so much", not "I doubted he'd be able to teach me anything".

ensco
08-27-2019, 08:32 PM
I think it might read that way in a tweet but is probably not how he meant it. I figure it's "he taught me so much", not "I doubted he'd be able to teach me anything".

That's fair. It's impossible to say one way or the other, without context.

OgtheDim
08-27-2019, 09:12 PM
That's fair. It's impossible to say one way or the other, without context.

Given Fraser has known Vanney since Vanney came into MLS 20 years ago, I think its not backhanded - Vanney as a head coach (interesting about Berhalter) has taught Fraser stuff he didn't expect to learn from somebody who he known for so long & was his assistant at Chivas.

This also is setting up Colorado for change - he wants to move them to be a tactically nuanced team.

I get the feeling one of the reasons it took Fraser so long to commit to Colorado is he was negotiating how things were going to be run & how they were going to set up the team in the next 2 years. IF they give him even a medium size MLS budget with DP's that make sense (e.g. not a keeper), he might be able to make something out of that space. He's smart enough to use the altitude to advantage.

There is also a strong knowledgable soccer community in Denver that would support a more uptempo team, something more akin to 2019 MLS then 2009.