PDA

View Full Version : Match Day 27 - Montreal @ TFC Sat August 24th 7:30pm - Its Time to Begin

OgtheDim
08-17-2019, 09:03 PM
2016 was nice

2017 was glorious

Start of 2018 was kinda cool

Its time to Begin Again

Time to make new memories

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sENM2wA_FTg

Have at It People

OgtheDim
08-17-2019, 09:10 PM
My mood?

Seba is gone - don't care anymore

Victor is gone - over it

Delgado missed that shot - Really do not give a shit people

Subs been weird? Yah, well welcome to TFC

WE HAVE ALL BEEN HERE BEFORE

We is here, with the Impact in our house with a chance to beat them.

All the rest, the TAM dudes, 2 weeks, the President, the GM, the coach...its all noise. Part of 10+ years of all this.

We keep talking like TFC didn't start until Defoe & Bradley came here. That's bullshit. You and I and us...we were all there - we have not gone anywhere. The team has not arrived from another planet suddenly in 2014.

We talk like the next thing, the next sub, the next shot, is going to change the world and get us back to what was on that night in 2017 and that night in 2016 and that night in 2018.

ON this night?

Against this team?

I do not care about any of that stuff. Leave Cheyrou & Delgado & Victor & Jozy's efforts on those nights at home.

CAUSE on this night, in our HOUSE. We got one job.

Its Montreal, in our house, with a playoff position up for grabs for whomever wants to go on and take it.

We got one shot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Yhyp-_hX2s

WIN - nothing else is acceptable. However its done, WIN.

Time to do this shit NOW!

rydermike
08-17-2019, 11:54 PM
Excited to see Benezet and Gallardo sit on the bench again.

DinamoTFC
08-18-2019, 12:38 AM
Vanney will find a way to make this great derby match into a bore fest.

Mikmacdo
08-18-2019, 08:33 AM
Wonder what the brilliant Vanney will do this game. Sub in Zavs while were losing? I honestly think he is trying to pull a George Constanta and get fired at this point.

GerMc
08-18-2019, 11:32 AM
I think this game is a test for Vanney. If he plays his reindeer games with the line-up and the substitutions and we lose or tie, then I think it is time for the front office to make a move.

At the end of the day, the coach's job is to do the best with what he is given. Maybe Vanney doesn't have every player that he wants, or doesn't like some of the players the FO got for him, but he has still has the highest payroll in MLS and some real quality players. TFC should not be treading water under the playoff line, and Vanney is not delivering.

As I said, a test--if we lose, then I think they should think seriously about letting him go.

Blindside16
08-19-2019, 04:13 AM
It's Montreal..... nothing else matters but 3 points. Nothing is acceptable other than 3 points.

tfcocd
08-19-2019, 08:14 AM
It's Montreal..... nothing else matters but 3 points. Nothing is acceptable other than 3 points.

So all in with the new guys and the 37 min of MLS experience? That seems a big gamble!

Auro gonzalez mavinga deleon

Benezet pozeulo Bradley Gallardo

Altidore mullins

Blkndkr
08-19-2019, 08:55 AM
“You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to OgtheDim again.”

My mood?

Victor is gone - over it

All the rest, the TAM dudes, 2 weeks, the President, the GM, the coach...its all noise. Part of 10+ years of all this.

We keep talking like TFC didn't start until Defoe & Bradley came here. That's bullshit. You and I and us...we were all there - we have not gone anywhere. The team has not arrived from another planet suddenly in 2014.

We talk like the next thing, the next sub, the next shot, is going to change the world and get us back to what was on that night in 2017 and that night in 2016 and that night in 2018.

ON this night?

Against this team?

I do not care about any of that stuff. Leave Cheyrou & Delgado & Victor & Jozy's efforts on those nights at home.

Its Montreal, in our house, with a playoff position up for grabs for whomever wants to go on and take it.

We got one shot

Oldtimer
08-19-2019, 09:06 AM
So all in with the new guys and the 37 min of MLS experience? That seems a big gamble!

Auro gonzalez mavinga deleon

Benezet pozeulo Bradley Gallardo

Altidore mullins

I think Vanney goes with one of the 2 new guys, not both, at least to start. He'll play the strongest team possible.

If the team can't get motivated for this match the problems are much deeper than the coach or a player or two and we may have to look at a rebuild.

SarniaTFC
08-19-2019, 09:12 AM
Just get the job done end of story. Montreal at home in a massive 6 pointer, nothing but 3 points is acceptable. Get into them.

benito
08-19-2019, 09:52 AM
No excuses this weekend... this is another must win.

stevep
08-19-2019, 09:54 AM
for anyone wanting to see the figure skating show or the waterskiing show at the ex forget it
i believe they are not doing those shows this year

kodiakTFC
08-19-2019, 11:10 AM
Just going to reflect everyone's sentiments here. Win. We absolutely need 3 points. We're right in the thick of things and we have a lot of road games left.

Mikmacdo
08-19-2019, 11:14 AM
Layrea omar mavinga auro
-----------bradley---oso--------
Deleon-----poz--------benezet
--------------------jozy-----------

Oldtimer
08-19-2019, 11:33 AM
Per Mavinga's Twitter, he and family were injured in an automobile accident yesterday morning. He says they're ok (for which I'm very glad). Not sure if that affects whether he plays against Montreal.

https://twitter.com/Chris_Mavinga/status/1163273145110990854

stevep
08-19-2019, 12:11 PM
Layrea omar mavinga auro
-----------bradley---oso--------
Deleon-----poz--------benezet
--------------------jozy-----------

Switch auro for morrow and deloon for Gallardo and it's perfect

Section_105
08-19-2019, 01:02 PM
My mood?

Victor is gone - over it

ON this night?

Against this team?

We got one shot

This excellent post followed by all that negativity. crazy.

Thanks OG, this should be script for a motivational vid. will see what I can do......where is Clayton when we need him.

Hamilton_Red
08-19-2019, 01:50 PM
My mood?

Victor is gone - over it

ON this night?

Against this team?

We got one shot

Love it. We know that this team has the talent and ability to win against any team in the league. That is what has been so frustrating. They need to put it together on a sustained basis now starting against Montreal.

Derko
08-19-2019, 05:10 PM
Just win, convincingly FFS, then fire Vanney, that will make a statement

Prof
08-20-2019, 08:58 AM
I would line up like this:4-1-3-1-1
Westburg
Larin Gonzales Mavinga Morrow(Auro)
Bradley (Delgado/Frasier)
Benezet(Endoh) Deleon(Osorio) Gallardo(Shaffelburg)
Pozeulo
Altidore(Mullins)

JuliquE
08-20-2019, 10:33 AM
My mood?

Victor is gone - over it

ON this night?

Against this team?

We got one shot

BOOM!

ManUtd4ever
08-20-2019, 01:03 PM
We've said it before, but this really is a must win under the circumstances.

Joe Kool
08-20-2019, 02:02 PM
Let me make a prediction...TFC wins but only by a slight margin because it is Montreal and we are at home. We have one good half and one not so good half. Vanney comes in the presser after the game saying "it was a tale of two halves" or similar. Other than TFC squeaking out the win there is not much prediction to this. The way games have gone this year is one decent half and one not so decent half. And we have had numerous games now where the post game talked about the distinct differences in the two halves. TFC really need to start putting together complete games if we are ever going to do anything this year.

Cuchulain
08-20-2019, 05:48 PM
For me this game will be a turning point, at least for this season. We will see what they are really made of. Either they can come out and put those Montreal fucks away when they have to or they struggle and show they are not up to it. One outcome leads to a playoff spot as they will begin to believe in themselves and end the season strong; the other leads to... whatever missing the playoffs brings. We have to be the best supporters we can be. We have to be the loudest 30,000 this league has. I havn't brought the flags yet this season; they are coming Saturday.

James17930
08-20-2019, 06:36 PM
I would line up like this:4-1-3-1-1
Westburg
Larin Gonzales Mavinga Morrow(Auro)
Bradley (Delgado/Frasier)
Benezet(Endoh) Deleon(Osorio) Gallardo(Shaffelburg)
Pozeulo
Altidore(Mullins)

I like ... though I don't think we could sign Cyle Larin now, and I don't think he could play RB either, so I'd put Layrea in there.

Section_105
08-21-2019, 09:20 AM
anyone else watch the lead up video on the TFC site? it seems to be balanced from both TFC/LimpAct perspective so not sure who produced it. Pretty fun either way especially the reasons montreal players give for their town being superior. Always in our shadow fighting for any relevance (except in the pub/restaurant scene where they have us beat)

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2019/08/20/history-passion-hatred-welcome-montreal-toronto-rivalry?autoplay=true

Red4ever
08-21-2019, 09:23 AM
Oh Oh Oh Oh
Beeeeeaaaat the Impact

JayMolly
08-21-2019, 09:50 AM
Should be large crowds this match.
CNE and both teams tied in the standings.
Our one game in hand, so yes a match we must win . . .

Oldtimer
08-21-2019, 11:49 AM
From the MLS Power rankings:

TFC's prospects to get back to the playoffs could come down to this weekend's Canadian Classique, believe it or not. There's definitely enough of a sample size to determine that changes will be coming to the roster next year, and playoffs or not it's a matter of seeing who will stick around beyond the remodeling project.

I feel that certainly applies to the players, may apply to the coach. This is a must win game.

DeRo2015
08-21-2019, 01:33 PM
Remi Garde just got fired

OgtheDim
08-21-2019, 01:41 PM
Joey going to Joey

People might think we are dysfunctional management wise but little in this league beats the Stinky Cheese Man.

Oldtimer
08-21-2019, 01:53 PM
Remi Garde just got fired

Wow. Not even wait for the big rivalry match. Typical for Montreal, and especially for Joey Saputo.

DeRo2015
08-21-2019, 01:59 PM
From Twitter:

Duane Rollins

@24thminute

(https://twitter.com/24thminute)
·
7m (https://twitter.com/24thminute/status/1164247729809383424)

“Because I have so much respect for Rémi as a person and as a professional, it was a very difficult decision to make and it was well thought, but our latest series of failures in the past couple of months ***and the way the team acts on the field***”

Wow. #IMFC
https://abs.twimg.com/hashflags/MLS_19_IMFC/MLS_19_IMFC.png
(https://twitter.com/hashtag/IMFC?src=hashtag_click)

ag futbol
08-21-2019, 05:02 PM
We should win, especially now that they have let their Garde down.

Womp womp

motorheadfc
08-21-2019, 09:02 PM
Wow. Not even wait for the big rivalry match. Typical for Montreal, and especially for Joey Saputo.

its a strong possibility that firing the manager before the end of the season will fire up the remaining staff/players and push to survive with playoff hopes, im not sure mtl is a team that will bounce back here. its a desperation move that tfc is not far removed from itself were it not for a more level headed head office. right??? firing the gaffer before a derby match is a very strong statement by the office.
mtl wins and everything is back up in the air again in our office i would think. ppl in fancy suits will have to make a move of some kind.
i personally would not be surprised nor would i mind now if vanney gets tossed should we lose. desperation being the biggest reason. if it works for mtl then we would have to follow suit

either way. it is classic saputo moment. he really needs to be relieved, he is ruining this rivalry for me. i want to hate mtl but i find myself feeling bad for them instead.
tfc win 3-1 and vanney is a genius for a week.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-21-2019, 09:32 PM
its a strong possibility that firing the manager before the end of the season will fire up the remaining staff/players and push to survive with playoff hopes, im not sure mtl is a team that will bounce back here. its a desperation move that tfc is not far removed from itself were it not for a more level headed head office. right??? firing the gaffer before a derby match is a very strong statement by the office.
mtl wins and everything is back up in the air again in our office i would think. ppl in fancy suits will have to make a move of some kind.
i personally would not be surprised nor would i mind now if vanney gets tossed should we lose. desperation being the biggest reason. if it works for mtl then we would have to follow suit

either way. it is classic saputo moment. he really needs to be relieved, he is ruining this rivalry for me. i want to hate mtl but i find myself feeling bad for them instead.

Never feel bad for them. Ever.

portu
08-22-2019, 01:26 AM

Montreal's done this before. Fired Klopas, hired Biello just before playing us in 2015. Montreal would go on to beat us 3 nil at home in the first round of the playoffs.

Correction they actually waited until after they lost to us to fire Klopas. We won 2-1. Same time of the year though (Late August)

Canary10
08-22-2019, 08:14 AM
I don’t think it ever usually works to fire someone this late in. Didn’t for us when Nelsen was fired for Vanney.

ag futbol
08-22-2019, 08:39 AM
I don’t think it ever usually works to fire someone this late in. Didn’t for us when Nelsen was fired for Vanney.
But the argument would be, did that help Vanney get further ahead in 2017, when we actually did quite well.

SarniaTFC
08-22-2019, 09:03 AM
Is there a march to the match or any pre game plans?

Ultra & Proud
08-22-2019, 09:26 AM
Is there a march to the match or any pre game plans?
March not gonna happen with the Ex in full swing. It's a mess down there.

Usual pre-game set ups in effect I suppose although lots of folks do their annual Ex wander during these matches since you get in for free. I am one of those people.

SoccMan2
08-22-2019, 09:39 AM

Saputo removed lol he owns the team unless another buyer makes him an offer he can’t refuse. Saputo one of the richest Canadian companies don’t think is selling the Impact anytime soon.

Ultra & Proud
08-22-2019, 09:51 AM
The Garde for Cabrera move makes a lot of sense for the Impact but the timing is bad as usual for Joey.

The Impact want to be run cheap. They will never be a 'top' team in regards to ambition and persuing players because Joey is a notorious cheapskate (in the business world too) and also very nuts (ditto). I think the move makes sense because Cabrera does have a reputation of upcoaching young players and I can see the Impact comfortably settling in as a permanent second tier MLS team. If Cabrera can replicate what he did in Dallas, then Montreal should remain a mid table team while saving a few bucks by shedding the older players and established DPs. Plus Joey probably sees that Dallas has and will be making some good $$$ off selling academy players and wants in on the action. Money is always very important to Crazy Joey.

I don't like looking at the bright side of things when it involves the Impact but if Cabrera does what he has done in the past then it could work out good for the young Canadians on the squad and may bring some future CMNT players into the national team mix. But for now, I can take some joy in the fact that he probably bollocksed their season with this move.

Oldtimer
08-22-2019, 10:13 AM
Joey Saputo is well known for his long term support of Quebec soccer, that's his one plus.

He has been incredibly cheap (he tried to get his stadium costs deducted from his franchise fee, which was only around $25 or $30m to start with). Stade Saputo compares unfavourably with most MLS stadiums. His team has always been a lower spending team.

He's done okay for himself while spending peanuts. His investment has gone up many times.

MightyDM
08-22-2019, 10:27 AM
i worry for Saturday. We will have to start the game with an incredible focus. and the Shaff. Or one of the wingers. They will likely come out with tons of energy - we will need to both weather that and exploit the gaps they will leave. Im in favour of a 3-5-1-1 Gonzalez Moor Mavinga Laryea Oso Bradley Deleon Shaff Poz Jozy

Oldtimer
08-22-2019, 10:48 AM
I wouldn't be shocked if Vanney pulls a surprise move and starts one or both TAM wingers or changes formation, or both. He's done things like that before in key games.

MightyDM
08-22-2019, 11:24 AM
I wouldn't be shocked if Vanney pulls a surprise move and starts one or both TAM wingers or changes formation, or both. He's done things like that before in key games.

Yes, that makes sense. Possession and experience (choose from Oso, Bradley, Marky, Deleon) combined with movement and pace (choose from Auro, Laryea, new guys, Shaff and Endoh).

Fits 3-5-1-1 or 4-2-3-1 or even 4-1-3-2 Less so 4-4-2

GerMc
08-22-2019, 03:34 PM

I'm sorry, but what does it say that having the coach play our new TAM signings would be a surprise move. I wonder how many teams bring in high priced talent and then don't play them :-o

Bushmancan
08-22-2019, 03:46 PM
I'm sorry, but what does it say that having the coach play our new TAM signings would be a surprise move. I wonder how many teams bring in high priced talent and then don't play them :-o

Nice... But No actually,

I think he parks the bus and deploys two goalies (trying to confuse the ref and league). Worried that Montreal might pose a such drastic offensive threat with the coaching change that we shouldn't risk trying to score unless on a counter. So none but defenders and holding midfielders

Westberg - Bono
Auro-Gonzalez-Moor-Mavinga-Morrow
Delgado - Bradley - Zavaleta

Morgan

Only DP will be Bradley, TAMs and other DPs will sit. Of course the fans won't mind it because we will play for the draw, play offs guaranteed with 9 games left.

COYRs

:scarf:

Auzzy
08-22-2019, 05:17 PM
We should win, especially now that they have let their Garde down.

Womp womp

Come on guys, don't just skip over this great post w/o quoting or commenting!

Voodooman
08-22-2019, 05:41 PM
March not gonna happen with the Ex in full swing. It's a mess down there.

Usual pre-game set ups in effect I suppose although lots of folks do their annual Ex wander during these matches since you get in for free. I am one of those people.

Funny enough, in past years that's when we would do the March as it would have best effects during the CNE.

SarniaTFC
08-22-2019, 06:25 PM
Funny enough, in past years that's when we would do the March as it would have best effects during the CNE.
Some of my favourite marches have happened at this fixture during the CNE. Hoping there’s plans of one for Saturday. Best way to kick off the derby.

Ultra & Proud
08-22-2019, 06:26 PM

I find that security everywhere is up a notch these days. I expect it to be a pain getting in.

GerMc
08-22-2019, 09:36 PM
Nice... But No actually,

I think he parks the bus and deploys two goalies (trying to confuse the ref and league). Worried that Montreal might pose a such drastic offensive threat with the coaching change that we shouldn't risk trying to score unless on a counter. So none but defenders and holding midfielders

Westberg - Bono
Auro-Gonzalez-Moor-Mavinga-Morrow
Delgado - Bradley - Zavaleta

Morgan

Only DP will be Bradley, TAMs and other DPs will sit. Of course the fans won't mind it because we will play for the draw, play offs guaranteed with 9 games left.

COYRs

:scarf:

Also Nice, in fact Nicer!

:hump:

DinamoTFC
08-22-2019, 10:04 PM
Some of my favourite marches have happened at this fixture during the CNE. Hoping there’s plans of one for Saturday. Best way to kick off the derby.

I'm sure inebriatti will have one. They usually do and they go big for big games. Just go to liberty village market cafe area early.

stevep
08-23-2019, 07:54 AM
Assume we play a 4-3-3 on Saturday.

Morrow,mav,og lareya
Benezet, Jozy, Gallardo
Who would be the 3 midfielders and where would they play
I cannot figure this out

Mikmacdo
08-23-2019, 08:44 AM
Assume we play a 4-3-3 on Saturday.

Morrow,mav,og lareya
Benezet, Jozy, Gallardo
Who would be the 3 midfielders and where would they play
I cannot figure this out

Morrow is injured. Ummmm cant figure out Bradley and Pozuelo ? Lol Osorio probably is the third Mid field.

Oldtimer
08-23-2019, 08:57 AM
Morrow is injured. Ummmm cant figure out Bradley and Pozuelo ? Lol Osorio probably is the third Mid field.

Maving was in the automobile accident. Has he been cleared to play?

stevep
08-23-2019, 09:03 AM
I know those are the three. Sorry didn't word question properly
But you didn't answer where they would play.
Which guy is on left side
Which guy is in the middle
Which guy is on the right side

Blindside16
08-23-2019, 09:17 AM
This game will be a tell all for how the near future is going to play out. We will find out in Vanney has lost the room or not. If they come out and play blase and coast to a loss then both Vannrey and our playoff hopes are out the door. I have no clue what kind of a line up we will see. I hope at least one of the TAM signings gets a start.

stevep
08-23-2019, 09:28 AM
I know those are the three. Sorry didn't word question properly
But you didn't answer where they would play.
Which guy is on left side
Which guy is in the middle
Which guy is on the right side

Not an easy question to answer.
I can't figure out where Bradley would play??
Oso on left pozo in middle??

Mikmacdo
08-23-2019, 09:39 AM
Bradley would be the DM, deep in the middle with Oso as the 8 a little higher on the right and POzuelo the AM on the left a bit higher up to Oso.

Oldtimer
08-23-2019, 09:46 AM
This game will be a tell all for how the near future is going to play out. We will find out in Vanney has lost the room or not. If they come out and play blase and coast to a loss then both Vannrey and our playoff hopes are out the door. I have no clue what kind of a line up we will see. I hope at least one of the TAM signings gets a start.

Agreed.

This game pretty well decides if TFC has a reasonable chance of a post season. Will they come out motivated with Vanney pulling one of his clever plans off to throw Montreal off balance? Or will they act like they don't care?

IMO Montreal is there for the taking. Piatti is out https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/08/16/montreal-impacts-ignacio-piatti-out-3-weeks-adductor-injury

The team needs to start full speed ahead, and we need to be in the stands in full voice.

:tfc::drum::megaphone::scarf:

OgtheDim
08-23-2019, 09:53 AM
and we need to be in the stands in full voice.

:tfc::drum::megaphone::scarf:

This

Will be in the South for the first time in 6 years. Intending on losing my voice.

SarniaTFC
08-23-2019, 10:29 AM

I do agree with this 100% but this is the game as a professional you put that behind you for 90 minutes and give everything for the badge on your chest. These are the games you live for and dream of growing up. Nothing beats a derby. I except the 11 players on the field to give it everything.

Ultra & Proud
08-23-2019, 11:08 AM
I do agree with this 100% but this is the game as a professional you put that behind you for 90 minutes and give everything for the badge on your chest. These are the games you live for and dream of growing up. Nothing beats a derby. I except the 11 players on the field to give it everything.
And if they don't or have the lull like we've been having then we have a better idea of what's up in the locker room.

Vanney's line up will tell a lot and I have seen some very light dissent in player's interviews lately about needing more attacking presense. I don't think they're referring to their own play either. The players, much like us, have been getting told we're going to play this style but it won't come together until we get the right pieces. Now we get two TAM pieces and the players see them in training every day so they know if they can contribute or not and presuming they can, then I'd be pissed at the player selections if I was a TFC player. It's like being set up to fail or at least not perform at your best level and having low energy, lackadaisical performances are one way to tell if that's true.

Ultra & Proud
08-23-2019, 12:55 PM
Jozy Altidore asked about TFC's inability to go on a win streak: "You hear a lot of people talk about how good of a team we are. For a year and a half now we haven’t played well enough. As we may have the pieces, we have to start showing it. At this point the talk is cheap"

Took long enough for someone on the squad to finally say what everyone's been thinking for the past year and a half. Enough of the "we're showing progress", "we strung together some nice sequences", and the classic "we were the better team but it didn't show on the scoreboard".

stevep
08-23-2019, 03:10 PM
Bradley would be the DM, deep in the middle with Oso as the 8 a little higher on the right and POzuelo the AM on the left a bit higher up to Oso.

Thanks, been trying to figure this out.
My confusion is I thought oso is on left side, pozo in middle and Bradley is always middle

OgtheDim
08-24-2019, 07:02 AM
Game Day:scarf::flare::drum:

Time to Bring It

Brooker
08-24-2019, 11:52 AM
Bang some goals past montreal and show the league our hard ****. We're capable, get on with it.

Fort York Redcoat
08-24-2019, 11:56 AM
Must win.

Just because of who it is we're playing and how bad they need it.

benito
08-24-2019, 02:18 PM
Very excited for tonight’s match!

FootBallAZ
08-24-2019, 05:38 PM
Benezet starting with gallardo.
,pozo the bench,

Almost had the right starting Line up out.

OgtheDim
08-24-2019, 05:45 PM
What the? Comes to mind

Mikmacdo
08-24-2019, 05:45 PM
Wtf pozuelo not starting in thr biggest game of the year. If hes hurt he shouldnt be on the bench.

notthesun
08-24-2019, 05:48 PM
Good thing we managed Pozuelo's minutes throughout the season like we said we would so he could be ready to go for the important games.

tfcocd
08-24-2019, 05:51 PM
Wtf pozuelo not starting in thr biggest game of the year. If hes hurt he shouldnt be on the bench.

4-5-1

Jozy up top with the new wingers

stevep
08-24-2019, 06:10 PM
Not an easy question to answer.
I can't figure out where Bradley would play??
Oso on left pozo in middle??

Called it

ensco
08-24-2019, 06:10 PM
Pozo sitting is ... unreal.

I cannot believe this.

Areathrasher
08-24-2019, 06:14 PM
Apparently TSN are reporting hes been dropped

Richard
08-24-2019, 06:17 PM

Who?

Areathrasher
08-24-2019, 06:20 PM
Pozuelo

Oldtimer
08-24-2019, 06:28 PM

From the 11, not the team I presume? He's listed as a sub.

Wheeler says it's for speed. A very risky move, will it work or will it be #vanneyout?

ag futbol
08-24-2019, 06:29 PM
https://www.tsn.ca/soccer/video/~1763844

This is the sort of thing from Vanney that drives me nuts. Sure, it’s the textbook answer but it also ignores the quality of the different players involved.

Bushmancan
08-24-2019, 06:30 PM
Anyone have any details... Poz just announced as alternate.

Bushmancan
08-24-2019, 06:33 PM
https://www.tsn.ca/soccer/video/~1763844

This is the sort of thing from Vanney that drives me nuts. Sure, it’s the textbook answer but it also ignores the quality of the different players involved.

Is he just deliberately trying to piss the fan base off?

Ultra & Proud

Wheeler says it's for speed. A very risky move, will it work or will it be #vanneyout?

Another case if Vanney overthinking everything. Speed? How about you play your best XI and no matter how many people you asked to draw ours up, nobody but Vanney would leave Pozo out of it. Probably not even Mariner.

If this goes sideways then he's done. This is one of those nail in the coffin decisions.

notthesun

If it doesn't work he deserves to be fired, frankly.

Bushmancan
08-24-2019, 06:36 PM
Another case if Vanney overthinking everything. Speed? How about you play your best XI and no matter how many people you asked to draw ours up, nobody but Vanney would leave Pozo out of it. Probably not even Mariner.

If this goes sideways then he's done. This is one of those nail in the coffin decisions.

Speed. Wtf he is our central attacker. He can pass the ball faster than any player can run.

Mikmacdo
08-24-2019, 06:36 PM
I hope tfc loses so vanney is canned. Enough is enough.

Oldtimer
08-24-2019, 06:37 PM
Toledo is ref. :eek:

James17930
08-24-2019, 06:37 PM
Oh boy, here we go.

I have that queasy feeling in my stomach like when my parents used to argue.

Oldtimer
08-24-2019, 06:38 PM
I hope tfc loses so vanney is canned. Enough is enough.

I will never cheer against TFC.

Ultra & Proud
08-24-2019, 06:39 PM
Speed. Wtf he is our central attacker. He can pass the ball faster than any player can run.

Totally agree. So Delgado and DeLeon are this speed in midfield that's going to open them up? Okay......

Richard
08-24-2019, 06:40 PM
Huge balls.

This is an old school Fergie move.

Ultra & Proud
08-24-2019, 06:42 PM
Toledo is ref. :eek:

I thought there was a FIFA mandated age max for refs? Did they change the rule?

But damn, anything can happen now. Probably a penalty or red card happening.

GerMc
08-24-2019, 06:45 PM
Sorry, but what is Pozuelo doing on the bench? He has consistently been our best quality player, with the highest production. Is Vanney trying to get fired?

Richard
08-24-2019, 06:50 PM
Shots have definitely been fired.

This is a power play no doubt about it.

Hope Vanney can pull it off.

MightyDM
08-24-2019, 06:51 PM

Balance. You can’t have the four of them on the field together. Apparently. Message to Curtis too.

James17930
08-24-2019, 06:51 PM
Vanney said he'll come on later. He has a plan.

Just, yeah ... will it work.

James17930
08-24-2019, 06:58 PM
Boy, Gallardo is very fast.

benito
08-24-2019, 06:58 PM
Gallardo seems to have quite a bit of pace.

James17930
08-24-2019, 07:08 PM
Well, we're controlling the game. If we keep this up the goals should come.

And so far we haven't looked vulnerable on the counter.

ensco
08-24-2019, 07:08 PM
I only saw Genk with Pozo a couple of times, but they had a ton of pace on the wing, and he was the straw that stirred the drink.

This is completely nuts.

James17930
08-24-2019, 07:14 PM
I only saw Genk with Pozo a couple of times, but they had a ton of pace on the wing, and he was the straw that stirred the drink.

This is completely nuts.

Well, maybe he is starting to tire to early in games. Maybe he can only go 45 mins.

samuraizero
08-24-2019, 07:25 PM
Is bradley playing like complete shit these days to get traded to his dads team or what

ag futbol
08-24-2019, 07:26 PM
Shots have definitely been fired.

This is a power play no doubt about it.

Hope Vanney can pull it off.
I’m not sure if this is an argument Vanney wins.

If anything, putting all the signings on the field and having them fail is the stronger case.

benito
08-24-2019, 07:27 PM
Tfc seems to have a lot of energy tonight. There has been quite a bit of movement off the ball. Having said that, they haven’t Had many opportunities around the net.

Bushmancan
08-24-2019, 07:28 PM
Well, maybe he is starting to tire to early in games. Maybe he can only go 45 mins.

Poz for Deleon to start the 2nd half. And he switches sides with Delgado

ag futbol
08-24-2019, 07:30 PM
Tfc seems to have a lot of energy tonight. There has been quite a bit of movement off the ball. Having said that, they haven’t Had many opportunities around the net.
The quality to put in the net just doesn’t seem to be in many places. As an opposing coach i’d let Bradley, Delgado, and DeLeon have as many shots from distance as they want

James17930
Poz for Deleon to start the 2nd half. And he switches sides with Delgado

Seems likely. Or maybe around the 60th minute.

GerMc
I have seen little evidence that Poz is not a game changer through 90 mins. So I think we can rule that one out. I think this is another formation experiment by a guy whose belief in his coaching ability appears to be outweighed by his lack of success. I will reiterate that it is mind boggling that you sit your best player in a derby game that could make the difference between making the post season and not.

Oldtimer
08-24-2019, 07:34 PM
I have seen little evidence that Poz is not a game changer through 90 mins. So I think we can rule that one out. I think this is another formation experiment by a guy whose belief in his coaching ability appears to be outweighed by his lack of success. I will reiterate that it is mind boggling that you sit your best player in a derby game that could make the difference between making the post season and not.

That "lack of success" includes an MLS Cup. Which he won based on a surprise formation change. But let's keep the narrative ahead of the facts. Continue on.

General Woolfe
08-24-2019, 07:35 PM
I think Vanney has finally lost it. The biggest game of your season so far, a playoff spot on the line against your biggest rivals, and he drops our best player? I mean wtf? It just shows he hasn’t a clue what’s his best 11.

If Benezet and Gallardo are meant to be wingers they’re not very good ones. Oh to have Seba and Vazquez back again :facepalm:

khso11
08-24-2019, 07:41 PM
Poz comes on at 45....we will win, any later than that, it’s over. And I won’t accept a draw for this game.

tfcfans
08-24-2019, 07:41 PM
He’s coaching as if he knows he’s gone no matter what at this point - save for a miracle playoff run to at least the semis (and missing them entirely seems more likely at this point), I think the Vanney/Bradley era is done here and a new direction will begin next year — both will go down as club legends who took us to the top of the mountain, but it appears it’s time to move on to a new coach and a new third DP.

Its game 27 of 34, if you’re still guessing as to who your best players are then there’s a problem somewhere in the system.

Bushmancan
08-24-2019, 07:43 PM
That "lack of success" includes an MLS Cup. Which he won based on a surprise formation change. But let's keep the narrative ahead of the facts. Continue on.

Maybe it is a new MLSE thing... He is getting advice from Babcock on how to play your best players. Give them less minutes in crucial games. But.... 2nd Half Victory

Edit. POZ with Black Hair is In the House and on the field..

COYRs

tfcfans
08-24-2019, 07:45 PM
That Poz “haircut” is ummmm interesting .... :facepalm:

GerMc
08-24-2019, 07:45 PM

Hey, I have nothing but respect for the 2017 season and everything that Vanney did (even 2016 as well). But for anyone who watched the 2018 season and this season so far, the magic that Vanney had is gone. I am sad to see it. But I challenge anyone to explain the deep and secret thinking that has led us to where we are today.

samuraizero
08-24-2019, 07:49 PM
That Poz “haircut” is ummmm interesting .... :facepalm:

Looks like osorio now

GerMc
08-24-2019, 07:50 PM
Hey, I have nothing but respect for the 2017 season and everything that Vanney did (even 2016 as well). But for anyone who watched the 2018 season and this season so far, the magic that Vanney had is gone. I am sad to see it. But I challenge anyone to explain the deep and secret thinking that has led us to where we are today.

So can we talk again about the success of Vanney’s reindeer games with the formation. Now that it is 1-0 for Montreal.

benito
08-24-2019, 07:50 PM
Damnit!

tfcfans
08-24-2019, 07:52 PM
Yeesh.....this is just embarrassing....can’t wait for the renewal notices this week....should be surrounded by a lovely letter about our pending CC Final (like beating Ottawa is an accomplishment) — can’t wait for the price hike too!

General Woolfe
08-24-2019, 07:54 PM
So Vanney final twigs and brings Pozeulo on but takes off our best performer in the 1st half to accommodate him. The guy hasn’t a clue!

samuraizero
08-24-2019, 07:57 PM
So Vanney final twigs and brings Pozeulo on but takes off our best performer in the 1st half to accommodate him. The guy hasn’t a clue!

Agreed. Unless deleon was hurt he never should have come out

James17930
08-24-2019, 08:02 PM
Gallardo must still not be 100%

samuraizero
08-24-2019, 08:04 PM
I thought delgado wasnt allowed to score, contractually

tfcfans
Hooray!

benito
Nice! That ball had eyes!

ag futbol
08-24-2019, 08:06 PM
I’d debate that heavily. We won with the better team and home field advantage first and foremost.

GerMc
08-24-2019, 08:20 PM
I’m sorry what gap in our game tonight does Osorio fill?

tfcfans
08-24-2019, 08:21 PM
Hooray again!

GerMc
08-24-2019, 08:24 PM
Hey was Osorio involved in that goal so I can eat my words?

James17930
08-24-2019, 08:27 PM
Hold on!!

James17930
08-24-2019, 08:31 PM
Bradley's passing really has been pretty terrible lately.

ag futbol
08-24-2019, 08:32 PM
Arrgg why do I always miss the good half of the game ?!?

benito
08-24-2019, 08:38 PM
Well done boys! It’s going be a roller coaster ride for the rest of the season.

GerMc
08-24-2019, 08:38 PM
Oh thank god!

tfcfans
08-24-2019, 08:39 PM
Good enough!

James17930
08-24-2019, 08:39 PM
Thank Zeus.

Now the consternation continues.

notthesun
08-24-2019, 08:41 PM
Good: Some fucking urgency, finally. It's been a while. Pretty solid defensively overall too.

Not so good: Chance creation was still pretty iffy, both our goals were fairly lucky. We happened to get the win but this was a draw on most nights I think. Dropping Pozuelo still doesn't make any sense to me.

ensco
08-24-2019, 08:44 PM
Good: Some fucking urgency, finally. It's been a while. Pretty solid defensively overall too.

Not so good: Chance creation was still pretty iffy, both our goals were fairly lucky. We happened to get the win but this was a draw on most nights I think. Dropping Pozuelo still doesn't make any sense to me.

Yeah pretty good summary.

I dont care if Pozo needs to rest all week, he has to go 90 in these games.

Areathrasher
08-24-2019, 08:48 PM
Did what was needed. Good.

Gotta get a fucking result in the Kraft shitbowl next week.

General Woolfe
08-24-2019, 08:49 PM
Yeeesss!! The Layrea sub changed that game. I’ve given a Vanney crap tonight but cudos to him for that move. Although it has to be said, why doesn’t Layrea start ahead of Auro every game. The Brazilian offers little and was at fault at Montreal’s goal. However, I’ll enjoy the victory for now, but questions still remain over leaving Pozeulo out tonight, Vanney played with fire there

Oldtimer
08-24-2019, 08:52 PM

I totally called it. He saved his TAM wingers to surprise Montreal.

While the internet was going nuts over Pozuelo not starting, Montreal was also going nuts. The speed on the wings and the different style of play was constantly creating overloads that Montreal had no answer for. Then Vanney surprises them again by putting in Pozuelo at the half, nullifying their half time adjustments, and they weren't prepared to double team him leaving him with room to operate.

To be fair the overloads may not have been so clear on TV but it was pretty clear in person.

So Vanney's plan worked almost perfectly, except for a typical defensive breakdown leading to a goal against that should not have happened. Risky plan for sure, but TFC is now in a playoff position and Montreal isn't.

portu
08-24-2019, 08:55 PM
I totally called it. He saved his TAM wingers to surprise Montreal.

While the internet was going nuts over Pozuelo not starting, Montreal was also going nuts. The speed on the wings and the different style of play was constantly creating overloads that Montreal had no answer for. Then Vanney surprises them again by putting in Pozuelo at the half, nullifying their half time adjustments, and they weren't prepared to double team him leaving him with room to operate.

To be fair the overloads may not have been so clear on TV but it was pretty clear in person.

So Vanney's plan worked almost perfectly, except for a typical defensive breakdown leading to a goal against that should not have happened.

I can't anymore. Vanney secret Jesus genius. Stego break out the manga anime script again.

Mikmacdo
08-24-2019, 09:00 PM
Vanney saved by the worst goalie in mls.

Oldtimer
08-24-2019, 09:00 PM
I can't anymore. Vanney secret Jesus genius. Stego break out the manga anime script again.

Lol. If you were watching in person you would have seen it.

It was a risky plan, but all that matters is the win.

stevep
08-24-2019, 09:06 PM
Vanney saved by the worst goalie in mls.

I thought he was good tonight.

Mikmacdo
08-24-2019, 09:19 PM
Yeeesss!! The Layrea sub changed that game. I’ve given a Vanney crap tonight but cudos to him for that move. Although it has to be said, why doesn’t Layrea start ahead of Auro every game. The Brazilian offers little and was at fault at Montreal’s goal. However, I’ll enjoy the victory for now, but questions still remain over leaving Pozeulo out tonight, Vanney played with fire there

Sorry auro responsable for that goal? Lol it was 25 yards away. Cant blame auro.

jazzy
08-24-2019, 09:26 PM
Unbelievable , Vanney easily could have lost this game , I assume you're joking .... With the team we have vs who started for Montreal this should have been an effortless win

ensco
08-24-2019, 09:45 PM
It's great that we won and all, but we need to establish some form.

I need to hear from Vanney about Pozo. It'd better be a fitness issue.

Ultra & Proud
08-24-2019, 09:57 PM
It's great that we won and all, but we need to establish some form.

I need to hear from Vanney about Pozo. It'd better be a fitness issue.

The interview Vanney gave just said it was a tactical decision.

barticusz
08-24-2019, 09:57 PM
Poz looked fired up when he came on. Gallardo and Benezet had some nice moments finally.

I feel like Delgado scoring and then morrow getting the squeaker is going to get some momentum for us. This was just the game we needed. Everyone got meaningful minutes, we played well for the most part and pushed back after a stunner of a goal.

We needed the W and we got the W. Can’t wait for the next massive game.

DOMIN8R
08-24-2019, 09:59 PM
Too many people in this thread comment but lack full context. My advice....as a fan, try to attend more games in person and not just watch on television. The prism of TV doesn't do justice to the reality of game play. Just my 2 cents.

Brooker
08-24-2019, 10:06 PM
Fun night to be in 126. Were those Montreal employees in the box?

2nd half pitch seemed tilted. Glad they kept coming wave after wave, not giving up.

GerMc
08-24-2019, 10:15 PM
Too many people in this thread comment but lack full context. My advice....as a fan, try to attend more games in person and not just watch on television. The prism of TV doesn't do justice to the reality of game play. Just my 2 cents.

I was at the game tonight in person, and while we squeaked through with a win, it was just that, we squeaked through. Delgado’s goal was nice, but the second goal was a bit of a garbage goal. We did the same thing we have done so many times—dominated possession but weren’t threatening the net, and then the other team scored on us. I didn’t see that threat or urgency until Poz came on in the 2nd half. What kind of tactical play is it to leave your best player on the bench? I have said it, and will say it again, for those who think that Vanney is some sort of tactical genius, how was it that we barely beat a weakened Montreal side tonight, in a game that was life or death for us? Is that your definition of genius? We could easily have lost tonight, though as I said earlier, thank god we didn’t.

portu
08-24-2019, 10:17 PM
You can hold Bush accountable for both goals. We were lucky tonight. Much better energy. Much better play. But squeaked through.

zorsofstesab
08-24-2019, 10:34 PM
I just don't get it. Sorry, yes we won but why did TFC park the bus after taking the lead? If anyone remembers a point in the game around the 86th minute we had a free kick near the byline around 25 yards out. Bradley stood behind the ball and has an OPEN, wide OPEN Poz on the line waiting for the pass to attack. Bradley stood there like a stump and decided to play the ball back. wtf, ATTACK, go for the jugular.

Also, Bradley for a 2nd or 3rd time this year almost lost the ball outside our own 18 yard box. For all his running this year most of it is useless runs. His passing has been horrible. Can't dribble at all.
Bradley has past his expiry date. Time for more playing time for Fraser, imo.

zorsofstesab
08-24-2019, 10:40 PM
And did Toledo basically tell the VAR official to fuck off with his non penalty call? Toledo maybe thought he was being showed up? I would like to know how many times a referee has ruled against a VAR review?

Either way I have always diliked Toldeo and today's performance proved it.

SirBobSaget
08-24-2019, 10:43 PM

What does this even mean? Are you saying only those at the stadium get an accurate account of the game? I find the opposite, watching the broadcast with the more focused views and replays I get a clearer game view .

OgtheDim
08-24-2019, 10:48 PM
What does this even mean? Are you saying only those at the stadium get an accurate account of the game? I find the opposite, watching the broadcast with the more focused views and replays I get a clearer game view .

There are some things that you just can't see unless you are in the stands.

And don't get me started on how TSN shapes how a game is perceived through its coverage.

Got the win. Was by far the better team on the night. Lots of fire shown. Going to just take this & move on.

stevep
08-24-2019, 10:49 PM
this looks like total domination to me

https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2019-08-24-toronto-fc-vs-montreal-impact/stats

as per usual the other team gets one shot and scores on that shot

Ultra & Proud
08-24-2019, 11:03 PM
And did Toledo basically tell the VAR official to fuck off with his non penalty call? Toledo maybe thought he was being showed up? I would like to know how many times a referee has ruled against a VAR review?

Either way I have always diliked Toldeo and today's performance proved it.

I watch a lot of MLS matches and don't recall Toledo ever allowing a call of his to be overturned. I've seen him refuse the VAR refs request to look at a replay though.

MightyDM
08-24-2019, 11:10 PM
I just don't get it. Sorry, yes we won but why did TFC park the bus after taking the lead? If anyone remembers a point in the game around the 86th minute we had a free kick near the byline around 25 yards out. Bradley stood behind the ball and has an OPEN, wide OPEN Poz on the line waiting for the pass to attack. Bradley stood there like a stump and decided to play the ball back. wtf, ATTACK, go for the jugular.

Also, Bradley for a 2nd or 3rd time this year almost lost the ball outside our own 18 yard box. For all his running this year most of it is useless runs. His passing has been horrible. Can't dribble at all.

Interesting.

On Twitter they had Bradley as
Most touches
Most chances created
Most long balls completed
Most crosses completed
Most passes
Most passes completed
Most distance covered
Most best of everything

I think we take for granted all the excellent stuff he does.

stevep
08-24-2019, 11:15 PM
Interesting.

Most touches
Most chances created
Most crosses completed
Most passes
Most passes completed
Most distance covered
Most best of everything

for what it's worth he led all players in the audi index tonight

https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2019-08-24-toronto-fc-vs-montreal-impact/audi-index

Auzzy
08-24-2019, 11:21 PM
I was at the game tonight in person, and while we squeaked through with a win, it was just that, we squeaked through. Delgado’s goal was nice, but the second goal was a bit of a garbage goal. We did the same thing we have done so many times—dominated possession but weren’t threatening the net, and then the other team scored on us. I didn’t see that threat or urgency until Poz came on in the 2nd half. What kind of tactical play is it to leave your best player on the bench? I have said it, and will say it again, for those who think that Vanney is some sort of tactical genius, how was it that we barely beat a weakened Montreal side tonight, in a game that was life or death for us? Is that your definition of genius? We could easily have lost tonight, though as I said earlier, thank god we didn’t.

I was also at the game, and I agree, as did a bunch of guys around me. Montreal was missing some of their best players. That game was much tighter than it should have been, and we were fairly lucky. Leaving your best player on the bench for half of the match is the one problem. The other is that the key attacking pieces (Pozuelo, Altidore, Benezet, and Gallardo) have barely played together. Today they only got 15 minutes between Poz coming on, and Gallardo coming off. This guys gotta be insync like a well-oiled machine as we hit crunchtime in this season.

Brooker
08-24-2019, 11:24 PM
Interesting.

Most touches
Most chances created
Most crosses completed
Most passes
Most passes completed
Most distance covered
Most best of everything

He took the usual abuse from the murmurs I heard tonight.

I thought he was solid going forward and was that calming, aggressive presence we need when we lose possession.

Maybe I just don't get it.

motorheadfc
08-24-2019, 11:52 PM

in the 86th minute we were up 2-1

James17930
08-25-2019, 12:39 AM
in the 86th minute we were up 2-1

Yeah, I'm fine 'parking it' for only 5 minutes.

Brooker
08-25-2019, 12:49 AM
Also, Bradley for a 2nd or 3rd time this year almost lost the ball outside our own 18 yard box.

2 times?! I'll get the piano wire.

For all his running this year most of it is useless runs. His passing has been horrible. Can't dribble at all.

http://cdn.lowgif.com/full/75f53018e609dca4-back-to-the-future-gif-tumblr.gif

OgtheDim
08-25-2019, 06:42 AM
I was also at the game, and I agree, as did a bunch of guys around me. Montreal was missing some of their best players. That game was much tighter than it should have been, and we were fairly lucky.

Montreal did almost nothing all night. One non closed down guy & a couple of close in chances - when we get that, people on here say we are awful. Well, last night, Montreal was awful. They couldn't get the ball to their forwards. They had no width (apart from one play in the first half where Mavinga did his thing). There was no midfield work worthy of MLS level.

When we do that, its all Taz emoticons & Vanney out & Curtis' suck etc.

When they do that against us, we are lucky.

How many chances did we have the first half - chances we were not creating for most of this season? Width, speed that could get in a cross. Jozy doing his thing.

Shoulda been 4-1.

Blkndkr
08-25-2019, 06:43 AM
This didn’t quite age well. :)
The quality to put in the net just doesn’t seem to be in many places. As an opposing coach i’d let Bradley, Delgado, and DeLeon have as many shots from distance as they want

OgtheDim
08-25-2019, 06:53 AM
Oh, and loved the TIFO.

MightyDM
08-25-2019, 06:54 AM
I was at the game. We totally dominated and Montréal didn’t get a sniff - yes they are depleted but they also were highly motivated. A little bit of inability to finish - possession and threat not incisive.

The guy next to me commented that players were walking in the last ten minutes of the first half after we lost the ball - overconfident perhaps - and that’s what Marky did on their goal - he gave up on his coverage. That changed after their goal with some real urgency on the pitch, just like the first 30 or so minutes of the first half.

There was some excitement with Gallardo’s penetrating runs. I’d like to see him and Shaff on the field at the same time.

Benezet to me plays the same position as Osorio. Looks a tidy player but now we have him Poz and Oso with similar ways of playing when what we really need is a second striker to replace Seba.

I understand the need to play Delgado and Deleon with the two wingers given the uncertainty about their defensive skills and commitment. Brave call or crazy call; not sure. But you have to play a formation going forward that gets Poz on the field; I like 4-2-3-1 (Bradley and Marky or Deleon; Poz with Gallardo and Benezet or Oso) or 4-1-3-2 (with Benezet and Jozy up front or Poz and Jozy). Only way to get Poz and the TAMs on the field at the same time

ensco
08-25-2019, 07:36 AM
You definitely see the game better in person imho.

A guy like Bradley, his game doesn’t translate as well on TV. I am not surprised to see the stats show he had a great game

Auzzy
08-25-2019, 07:48 AM
Montreal did almost nothing all night. One non closed down guy & a couple of close in chances - when we get that, people on here say we are awful. Well, last night, Montreal was awful. They couldn't get the ball to their forwards. They had no width (apart from one play in the first half where Mavinga did his thing). There was no midfield work worthy of MLS level.

When we do that, its all Taz emoticons & Vanney out & Curtis' suck etc.

When they do that against us, we are lucky.

How many chances did we have the first half - chances we were not creating for most of this season? Width, speed that could get in a cross. Jozy doing his thing.

Shoulda been 4-1.

Yes Montreal was awful for long stretches. Because they're not great anyway; and they're even worse w/o some of their best players. Yes still it was closer than it needed to be. For long stretches, it played out like some other frustrating TFC games: lots of possession, but missing the final good ball and/or poor finishing. And ending as a tie or lost game based on a small number of chances of the opposition.

Not sure if you're referring to me, but I don't think I've ever said Vanney out (yet I'm worried it might happen, and he sometimes frustrates me). For me this was an example of Vanney over-thinking things. The same kind of decisions that have cost us in many other games, came close but didn't cost us last night. I wouldn't call him a tactical genius after that game, until things work more consistently, and in more difficult circumstances.

I thought Benezet and Gallardo were a breath of fresh air, and even did more defensively than I had been lead to expect. Gallardo can do well in the high press with his great speed; Benezet with a last-ditch tackle near our goal, and some other good work to contain Montreal, and to help win the ball back. In offense, both are players that can take on & beat players, with speed and/or guile. And as they attract & take on defenders or midfielders, they free up others.

Almost everyone played quite well last night, most of the time, and for me that was a good sign for the future. And hopefully all our best players get more time and more familiarity / consistency together.

Shoulda been 4-1, and mighta been 4-1, if Pozuelo had started (and maybe also Shaffleburg coming on sometime after the 60th minute, just to kill them off with even more speed). I don't go all ra-ra after winning on a tight score against weak & weakened opposition; I like to still debate and learn from that. (And dropping points in a well-designed game with good effort, against a superior team or against some wonder goals, would also be worth a good debate, and no reason to get despondent.)

OgtheDim
08-25-2019, 07:53 AM
Fair enough Auzzy - wasn't referring to you on the Vanney out thing.

MightyDM
08-25-2019, 08:03 AM
You definitely see the game better in person imho.

A guy like Bradley, his game doesn’t translate as well on TV. I am not surprised to see the stats show he had a great game

You see the positioning and work off he ball as well as on. Might be why i rate Oso better than some others do

Auzzy
08-25-2019, 08:07 AM
Fair enough Auzzy - wasn't referring to you on the Vanney out thing.

No problem!

And how about that amazing run by Gallardo in the first half, and sublime pass perfectly destined all the way across the goal mouth to Benezet who had made a perfect run; stopped only by an incredible last-ditch interception by a Montreal defender (that might have turned into a highlight-reel own goal). We were high-fiving each other in 112; that was some good footy shit all around. (And would be hard to really see on TV.)

MightyDM
08-25-2019, 08:09 AM
Yes Montreal was awful for long stretches. Because they're not great anyway; and they're even worse w/o some of their best players. Yes still it was closer than it needed to be. For long stretches, it played out like some other frustrating TFC games: lots of possession, but missing the final good ball and/or poor finishing. And ending as a tie or lost game based on a small number of chances of the opposition.

Not sure if you're referring to me, but I don't think I've ever said Vanney out (yet I'm worried it might happen, and he sometimes frustrates me). For me this was an example of Vanney over-thinking things. The same kind of decisions that have cost us in many other games, came close but didn't cost us last night. I wouldn't call him a tactical genius after that game, until things work more consistently, and in more difficult circumstances.

I thought Benezet and Gallardo were a breath of fresh air, and even did more defensively than I had been lead to expect. Gallardo can do well in the high press with his great speed; Benezet with a last-ditch tackle near our goal, and some other good work to contain Montreal, and to help win the ball back. In offense, both are players that can take on & beat players, with speed and/or guile. And as they attract & take on defenders or midfielders, they free up others.

Almost everyone played quite well last night, most of the time, and for me that was a good sign for the future. And hopefully all our best players get more time and more familiarity / consistency together.

Shoulda been 4-1, and mighta been 4-1, if Pozuelo had started (and maybe also Shaffleburg coming on sometime after the 60th minute, just to kill them off with even more speed). I don't go all ra-ra after winning on a tight score against weak & weakened opposition; I like to still debate and learn from that. (And dropping points in a well-designed game with good effort, against a superior team or against some wonder goals, would also be worth a good debate, and no reason to get despondent.)

Pretty fair and well thought out analysis.

It still looks like the players don’t fit well but that might mean Oso and Deleon lose out, depending on formation. And Shaff and Gallardo for the last 30 minutes would destroy teams. Even LAFC would struggle.

Auzzy
08-25-2019, 08:20 AM
BTW I should have said it earlier. A big reason I felt we were fairly lucky last night: despite our superior build up and everything else, both our goals were a bit lucky or scrappy, incl. Delgado's double-nutmeg strike. (Maybe that has now finally broken Marky's Guadalajara duck? At least it wasn't over the bar!)

Oldtimer
08-25-2019, 08:27 AM
TSN team breaks down benching Pozuelo:

https://www.tsn.ca/soccer/video/why-is-vanney-starting-pozuelo-on-the-bench-in-crucial-clash-with-montreal~1763844

MightyDM
08-25-2019, 08:30 AM
BTW I should have said it earlier. A big reason I felt we were fairly lucky last night: despite our superior build up and everything else, both our goals were a bit lucky or scrappy, incl. Delgado's double-nutmeg strike. (Maybe that has now finally broken Marky's Guadalajara duck? At least it wasn't over the bar!)

They resulted from pressure though. Not like they were undeserved.

Bushmancan
08-25-2019, 08:54 AM
Shoulda been 4-1.

But it wasn’t 4-1. Beautiful night for a game. A better team doesn’t let us get way with this one. (We gave away a marginal goal again). We had a potential failure written all over this and that doubt mentality is something I haven’t felt in a long time. We need to put some of these weaker teams away early and by a lot to gain confidence. That’s why the Poz decision is too risky.

I liked Gallardo (very fast, comes back to help, gives second effort) but needs a break on his finishing and Benezet was fun to watch him in tight spaces.

i am sorry but it wasn’t brilliant coaching, it is a good problem to have when you have choices to field a good team. But your DP is your DP. There is no excuse for Vanney unless there is something else going on.

Edit - Just saw Auzzy’s assessment, you nailed it.

On to New England pounding!!!!

ag futbol
08-25-2019, 09:00 AM
Agreed. Outside of the sense of physicality and speed you get watching an in person game and watching the interactions in certain areas of the field (if you're close to the action) there's nothing superior about it. If anything, in a lot of areas where you sit its worse.

ag futbol
08-25-2019, 09:04 AM
Our finishing is pretty bad in a lot of quarters. Watching DeLeon get into a good position and sky it into the stands from just outside the 18. Unfortunately, I'm starting to agree with the assessment we need his motor to cover ground in midfield.

Why did we extend Osorio? He doesn't fit with our first choice formation and other first choice players. He looks like a Pozuelo substitute at this stage.

Bushmancan
08-25-2019, 09:29 AM
Why did we extend Osorio? He doesn't fit with our first choice formation and other first choice players. He looks like a Pozuelo substitute at this stage.

And that wouldn’t be so bad except he is 27 and making 600K+. Maybe he needs to accept that for now and come back with a vengeance next year.

Put the team first and work hard every day and be ready when called upon.

SPALE
08-25-2019, 09:47 AM
Our finishing is pretty bad in a lot of quarters. Watching DeLeon get into a good position and sky it into the stands from just outside the 18. Unfortunately, I'm starting to agree with the assessment we need his motor to cover ground in midfield.

Not sure if the same Deleon shot you’re talking about But I’m pretty sure it deflected off a impact players back and went for a corner. But I still agree the finishing is just horrid

jazzy
08-25-2019, 09:56 AM
I was also at the game, and I agree, as did a bunch of guys around me. Montreal was missing some of their best players. That game was much tighter than it should have been, and we were fairly lucky. Leaving your best player on the bench for half of the match is the one problem. The other is that the key attacking pieces (Pozuelo, Altidore, Benezet, and Gallardo) have barely played together. Today they only got 15 minutes between Poz coming on, and Gallardo coming off. This guys gotta be insync like a well-oiled machine as we hit crunchtime in this season.

Precisely.....and it seems Vanney is hinting Poz is too slow, it seems any team cohesion that threatens Vanneys strategies he deliberately ignores . There is too much talent on the team not to play the best and asap. We continue to be stymied in the attacking zone . On fast breaks we are many times looking back passing letting the opposition reform then trap us into passing harmlessly across the field . That's how Vanneys lost it in our first MLS Cup and it stubbornly continues . And show to the player who isn't his robot .

DinamoTFC
08-25-2019, 10:07 AM
I'll give credit when it's due and Vanney finally coached like he had balls last night. Benched poz for a wake up call or whatever. Started the TAM wingers who played very well. (Really like the speed Gallardo brings). This was the best match ive watched all season. It was intense, attractive, exciting, etc. I hope this is the start of some momentum.

Auzzy
08-25-2019, 10:12 AM

People were complaining around me as well, but I really didn't mind DeLeon's long shots, and some by others. DeLeon recently scored a great long-distance effort. And of his long shots last night, one was deflected, and one went near the upper corner of the goal. (Might have been some worse ones as well.)

Players' apparent fear of longer shots; and endless / useless passing within the 18, were frequent complaints this year and last. Taking (& maybe even scoring) the occasional long shot, makes the opposition adjust and opens other opportunities. (Still needs to be smart, e.g. when somebody else is in a much better position. Decision making needs to improve.)

Osorio hinted in a recent Sun article, that he's been dealing with some kind of serious issues. Quite nebulous, but not injury apparently. I agree that there are all kinds of position battles in place now, from the new TAM guys, to Oso / DeLeon / Delgado (even Poz apparently), add in Der Schaffner / Laryea / Endoh as speed guys that need to be juggled in or out; and Morrow / Auro often acting as wingers. Plus the occasional two-striker formation with Mullins etc.

MightyDM
08-25-2019, 10:28 AM
Agreed. Outside of the sense of physicality and speed you get watching an in person game and watching the interactions in certain areas of the field (if you're close to the action) there's nothing superior about it. If anything, in a lot of areas where you sit its worse.

The main difference for me is watching the players off the ball and seeing the spaces and therefore the tactics. TV doesn’t show this at all.

MightyDM
08-25-2019, 10:32 AM
People were complaining around me as well, but I really didn't mind DeLeon's long shots, and some by others. DeLeon recently scored a great long-distance effort. And of his long shots last night, one was deflected, and one went near the upper corner of the goal. (Might have been some worse ones as well.)

Players' apparent fear of longer shots; and endless / useless passing within the 18, were frequent complaints this year and last. Taking (& maybe even scoring) the occasional long shot, makes the opposition adjust and opens other opportunities. (Still needs to be smart, e.g. when somebody else is in a much better position. Decision making needs to improve.)

Osorio hinted in a recent Sun article, that he's been dealing with some kind of serious issues. Quite nebulous, but not injury apparently. I agree that there are all kinds of position battles in place now, from the new TAM guys, to Oso / DeLeon / Delgado (even Poz apparently), add in Der Schaffner / Laryea / Endoh as speed guys that need to be juggled in or out; and Morrow / Auro often acting as wingers. Plus the occasional two-striker formation with Mullins etc.

Yes. All really interetesting and potentially exciting, if it comes together. Still worry about who is going to score goals though. Which is why I like Benezet in a “2” with Jozy

ag futbol
08-25-2019, 10:40 AM
Precisely.....and it seems Vanney is hinting Poz is too slow, it seems any team cohesion that threatens Vanneys strategies he deliberately ignores . There is too much talent on the team not to play the best and asap. We continue to be stymied in the attacking zone . On fast breaks we are many times looking back passing letting the opposition reform then trap us into passing harmlessly across the field . That's how Vanneys lost it in our first MLS Cup and it stubbornly continues . And show to the player who isn't his robot .
What gets me about this is you have Delgado who is slow, Bradley who is not as fast as he used to be, and Osorio who is slow. So all your “first choice” mids and even some of the ones who are further down the depth chart (like Fraser) lack speed. In addition you go out and get Gonzalez who looks like he’s going to get turned every time someone with pace faces him up and you play him on the right side next to a couple of fullbacks that are a tad dicey defensively.

The midfield of this team needs to change to be at least average pace if we’re going to make it in a 4-3-3. And some of these guys have to threaten to score more often.

Relying on DeLeon is a function of not thinking through your roster decisions or understanding your players. He is not a starter on a championship team, rather a useful part and a hard worker.

Auzzy
08-25-2019, 10:57 AM
What gets me about this is you have Delgado who is slow, Bradley who is not as fast as he used to be, and Osorio who is slow. So all your “first choice” mids and even some of the ones who are further down the depth chart (like Fraser) lack speed. In addition you go out and get Gonzalez who looks like he’s going to get turned every time someone with pace faces him up and you play him on the right side next to a couple of fullbacks that are a tad dicey defensively.

The midfield of this team needs to change to be at least average pace if we’re going to make it in a 4-3-3. And some of these guys have to threaten to score more often.

Relying on DeLeon is a function of not thinking through your roster decisions or understanding your players. He is not a starter on a championship team, rather a useful part and a hard worker.

I agree generally, although I don't actually think Delgado is slow. His contribution to defense is mostly in intercepting / breaking up plays, and he's one of the better in the team with that. But he's not really a good defensive midfielder to shield our defense when needed. I would say he's too scattered for that. And generally I think TFC would struggle to bunker if needed, even if Vanney ever tried it.

We never replaced Will Johnson in that role. Hasler and a few others could be decent DMs if needed, but we dumped them. Fraser is much better defensively this year than last, but you're right doesn't have the sprint & top speed to really react to emergencies.

I feel you should be able to pick up a relatively cheap destroyer DM, to at least insert when needed. Not even great skill; just speed & quickness to break up plays or recover. And if necessary just lay off easy 5-yard passes to our defenders or Bradley, keeping it simple.

EDIT Could DeLeon be that low-cost destroyer if you just tell him to hang back, as we could now have about 6 other players on the field who can attack?

jazzy
08-25-2019, 11:27 AM
I agree generally, although I don't actually think Delgado is slow. His contribution to defense is mostly in intercepting / breaking up plays, and he's one of the better in the team with that. But he's not really a good defensive midfielder to shield our defense when needed. I would say he's too scattered for that. And generally I think TFC would struggle to bunker if needed, even if Vanney ever tried it.

We never replaced Will Johnson in that role. Hasler and a few others could be decent DMs if needed, but we dumped them. Fraser is much better defensively this year than last, but you're right doesn't have the sprint & top speed to really react to emergencies.

I feel you should be able to pick up a relatively cheap destroyer DM, to at least insert when needed. Not even great skill; just speed & quickness to break up plays or recover. And if necessary just lay off easy 5-yard passes to our defenders or Bradely, keeping it simple.

EDIT Could DeLeon be that low-cost destroyer if you just tell him to hang back, as we could now have about 6 other players on the field who can attack?

Summarized really well , I fear Deleon couldn’t escape his US athletic style of all out unlimited athletic ability but limited holding skills always going forward , unfortunately....and there are plenty of those players in mls . That may be our problem , we really to heavily on these types to be gifted scorers . And then there’s the great leader Bradley who is the elephant in the room . None of us wants to disrespect this great TFC legend but he is determining our future and questions have to be asked . I feel all this is understood by the present players and why there is confusion and a questionable unity on / off the field . BTW if we let Shuffleburg die a slow death it’s inexcusable. All this , and losing an obvious Vanney replacement in Fraser means Vanney simply stays .....sadly . We’re done then .

ManUtd4ever
08-25-2019, 12:23 PM
Starting lineup was questionable, but we dominated most of the match. The scoreline flattered Montreal.

Biggest win of the season thus far. Hopefully we can build on it.

JoesphNdo
08-25-2019, 01:46 PM
TSN team breaks down benching Pozuelo:

https://www.tsn.ca/soccer/video/why-is-vanney-starting-pozuelo-on-the-bench-in-crucial-clash-with-montreal~1763844

So he dropped him for tactical reasons not to manage his minutes?

Vanney needs to go and he needs to go right now for us to salvage any chance of taking this (Still very talented) team on a deep playoff run. He's a dead duck, so why wait?

JuliquE
08-25-2019, 04:39 PM
Starting lineup was questionable, but we dominated most of the match. The scoreline flattered Montreal.

This.

Nearly lost it, whilst listening to Vanney explain why Pozuelo sat… but, then I thought about it, and remembered that Benezet likes to cut inside (has played AM, in past, a la Oso); that and the need for a bit more defensive balance, I could see it working out.

Still… feels like it's Vanney against the world, reading between the lines and judging from his body-language, in the post-match interview. The few times, Vanney's had an edge about him, in his stint as manager for us, he's mostly done well, to my memory; here's hoping that whatever's happening behind the scenes galvanizes him, and by extension the players, as he negotiates a significant increase in pressure.

Initial B
08-25-2019, 07:11 PM
After a day to think, it looked like the players all were playing for something last night. Perhaps they knew what the stakes were regarding Vanney's job and wanted to perform for the coach. Regardless, there was an intensity that hasn't been there most times this season. They all just seemed... sharper. And with Fraser announced as Rapids coach today, the die is well and truly cast for the rest of the season. Seven games left to gel into form.

Red4ever
08-25-2019, 09:03 PM
Good atmosphere. Too bad the south end was out of sync.

i was sitting in 111 and everyone was into it, but 112 has to get rid of that base drum.

oranje boven
08-25-2019, 10:01 PM
I thought our bench was the deepest group I’ve seen this year. Even if Poz started in place of one of the starting 11... it was a good group of quality and options. Best bench this year.

TFC07
08-25-2019, 11:16 PM

I agree with this post. Toronto looked like better team in this game. Montreal played very conversative and tried to counter attack, but Vanney did a good job for having the right balance on the field.

It wasn't prettiest win, but TFC got the job done in the end.

Canary10
08-26-2019, 08:58 AM
I was mostly out of wifi range over the weekend. Saw the score, but didn't realizing Pozuelo didn't start. Then coming here and reading it was for "tactical" reasons!? Bizarre. Really trying to figure out what Vanney is up to. Maybe he hates his hair?

C.Ronaldo
08-26-2019, 10:49 AM
I was at the game. We totally dominated and Montréal didn’t get a sniff - yes they are depleted but they also were highly motivated. A little bit of inability to finish - possession and threat not incisive.

The guy next to me commented that players were walking in the last ten minutes of the first half after we lost the ball - overconfident perhaps - and that’s what Marky did on their goal - he gave up on his coverage. That changed after their goal with some real urgency on the pitch, just like the first 30 or so minutes of the first half.

There was some excitement with Gallardo’s penetrating runs. I’d like to see him and Shaff on the field at the same time.

Benezet to me plays the same position as Osorio. Looks a tidy player but now we have him Poz and Oso with similar ways of playing when what we really need is a second striker to replace Seba.

I understand the need to play Delgado and Deleon with the two wingers given the uncertainty about their defensive skills and commitment. Brave call or crazy call; not sure. But you have to play a formation going forward that gets Poz on the field; I like 4-2-3-1 (Bradley and Marky or Deleon; Poz with Gallardo and Benezet or Oso) or 4-1-3-2 (with Benezet and Jozy up front or Poz and Jozy). Only way to get Poz and the TAMs on the field at the same time

Benezet can play more wing (it seems)
but I agree, all 3 are overkill.

given we had Pozo as a DP, do you give the advantage to Benezet as the more valuable player to the team

stevep
08-26-2019, 11:05 AM
I was mostly out of wifi range over the weekend. Saw the score, but didn't realizing Pozuelo didn't start. Then coming here and reading it was for "tactical" reasons!? Bizarre. Really trying to figure out what Vanney is up to. Maybe he hates his hair?

this is the first time in a long time pozuelo is not dyed blonde, that is why we won
ever since pozuelo went blonde we have lost
now he is back to black hair we will be fine
ps: few people in my section said he looks like osorio now

Joe Kool
08-26-2019, 11:16 AM
It wasn't prettiest win, but TFC got the job done in the end.

We had a number of these games in 2017 and did well. I am ok with not always looking pretty. Just get the win. Looking pretty most of time would be nice though. Haven't had enough of those this year compared to 2017. That is for sure.

Section_105
08-26-2019, 12:21 PM

we started playing like shit when he bottled his head so glad he cut that blonde off (no offense to blondes but the correlation is too great).

Interesting thing was that we looked cohesive even with the 3 subs. Often times a sub takes our team from performing together to performing keystone cops enactments.

hopefully the goals from the 2017 crowd will get everyone to open up their shooting boots and start potting some more goals. We controlled the game against a terrible Montreal side but a few more goals would have been great. The Bojan goal was coming. I saw it from a few beaten challenges before he shot it. Did you know he played for Barca :) too funny. coming back from that made the game sweet.

cheers ya'll

Canary10
08-26-2019, 01:38 PM
this is the first time in a long time pozuelo is not dyed blonde, that is why we won

Ha, I heard after I posted my comment that he cut it. So my guess, Vanney told him before the game started he was benched until he got rid of it. Poz said, shit, ok and got someone to shave it off. Vanney saw him but it was too late to change the game sheet. Brought him in in the second half.

Guarantee that's how it happened.

Oldtimer
08-26-2019, 01:39 PM
It didn't affect the outcome, but TFC totally got Toledo'd at the end of the match with him overruling VAR... denying an obvious PK for TFC. How come that guy is still allowed to referee?

OgtheDim
08-26-2019, 02:11 PM
It didn't affect the outcome, but TFC totally got Toledo'd at the end of the match with him overruling VAR... denying an obvious PK for TFC. How come that guy is still allowed to referee?

Was more ticked at the phantom yellow's - still wondering how Jozy got a yellow for jumping in the air.

Bushmancan
08-26-2019, 02:33 PM
Was more ticked at the phantom yellow's - still wondering how Jozy got a yellow for jumping in the air.

Agreed on both and then Toledo continuing to let them hack at Pozuelo around the 70th minute.

stevep
08-26-2019, 03:15 PM
Ha, I heard after I posted my comment that he cut it. So my guess, Vanney told him before the game started he was benched until he got rid of it. Poz said, shit, ok and got someone to shave it off. Vanney saw him but it was too late to change the game sheet. Brought him in in the second half.

Guarantee that's how it happened.

Ok, saw Poz come in. Can't remember if it was blonde when he came in.
BTW everyone was friendly to the fans except Poz and og

Blizzard
08-26-2019, 03:19 PM

After watching the replay I understood it. He jumped more into the keeper than he did for the ball.

Blizzard
08-26-2019, 03:20 PM

Ya, the defenders arm was straight out. How could that not be called? An astonishing non-call.

SPALE
08-26-2019, 03:44 PM

Oh man he was brutal Saturday night. Even first half when the impact D had a brain fart and Gallardo got behind the back 4 Clear foul and minimum yellow for taking Gallardo down on the break away. Then I think right after that no call in the same play I think it was maybe Jozey gets brought down. He reviews with VAR and still decides it’s clean. Unreal that man He all but gave the middle finger to the VAR booth and showed it was his show and he’s in charge Clear fouls on the plays I’m talking about and 100 % penalty late in the second half

Auzzy
08-26-2019, 03:50 PM

Yeah I agree with both. Toledo was driving us nuts throughout the game. The overruled VAR was a biggie. Also a bunch of 50/50 situations that never went TFC's way. But the 4:1 ratio on yellows was just nuts. Montreal had a bunch of really late tackles; one brutal play where a guy just slid through our player; a couple of tactical fouls. No yellows for any of those. Some weren't even whistled. While most of TFC's 4 yellows were very weak.

BTW Jozy's yellow was supposedly for dissent: https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2019-08-24-toronto-fc-vs-montreal-impact/boxscore

JT Red127
08-27-2019, 06:58 AM

Everyone has their own experience. Saw Pozuelo after the match with my son, he was on a ride with his kids. I was hesitant to bother him but he's my son's fav player right now, so he went up and asked for a photo. Couldn't have been a nicer guy about it, had a brief conversation. He seemed really pleased they got the win, anyways he was really cool, laid back and accommodating when he probably just wanted to be spending some family time with his wife and kids.

portu
08-27-2019, 07:50 AM

Jozy got a yellow for being petulant... again.

ensco
08-27-2019, 08:50 AM
That was an amazing jump. He soared over Busch, he didn't jump into him. Had Jozy timed that right, he would have scored.

No question Jozy was generally giving Toledo the business though. Suspect the yellow was for cumulative complaining.

Section_105
08-27-2019, 09:18 AM
Ok, saw Poz come in. Can't remember if it was blonde when he came in.

both were perfectly fine with me. got a fist bump from poz and a signature from OG. they were both with family so their focus was on making sure they weren't too impacted by the craziness on that railing.

Fort York Redcoat
08-31-2019, 06:20 AM

we started playing like shit when he bottled his head so glad he cut that blonde off (no offense to blondes but the correlation is too great).

Interesting thing was that we looked cohesive even with the 3 subs. Often times a sub takes our team from performing together to performing keystone cops enactments.

hopefully the goals from the 2017 crowd will get everyone to open up their shooting boots and start potting some more goals. We controlled the game against a terrible Montreal side but a few more goals would have been great. The Bojan goal was coming. I saw it from a few beaten challenges before he shot it. Did you know he played for Barca :) too funny. coming back from that made the game sweet.

cheers ya'll

Hair dye talk is ridiculous, obviously, but are forgetting he did it initially for a cause?

Section_105
09-03-2019, 09:47 AM
Hair dye talk is ridiculous, obviously, but are forgetting he did it initially for a cause?

I just think it's a hilarious coincidence. but I also didn't forget this as I never knew it to begin with. will research it.