PDA

View Full Version : Voyaguers Cup Semi Second Leg - Ottawa @ TFC Wed August 14 7:30pm - Finish this Job

OgtheDim
08-11-2019, 12:56 PM
Have at It People

Oldtimer
08-11-2019, 02:38 PM
I expect a similar lineup to last week, with maybe a DP or two on the bench for insurance sake.

Mikmacdo
08-11-2019, 02:47 PM
Bono
Laryea-Zavs-Moor-Morgan
—————Fraser————-
Gallardo- Benezet-Oso-Shaff
—————Mullens———

Something like this? I think they should even start Ayo, Okello and where is Julian Dunn? I barely see him playing for TFC2.

Red CB Toronto
08-11-2019, 05:13 PM
I expect a similar lineup to last week, with maybe a DP or two on the bench for insurance sake.

Hopefully they can calm Jozy down after he bolted out of the stadium within 10-15 of the final whistle. Yeah I agree Greg will have an insurance policy or two on the bench but otherwise it will be the same as last week in Ottawa.

Auzzy
08-11-2019, 08:40 PM
Hopefully they can calm Jozy down after he bolted out of the stadium within 10-15 of the final whistle. Yeah I agree Greg will have an insurance policy or two on the bench but otherwise it will be the same as last week in Ottawa.

Holy crap, was that after the Orlando game?

Brooker
08-11-2019, 09:51 PM
15 minutes is bolting from the stadium....? He can move faster than that.

With all due respect, unless you know the reason he left 15 minutes after the game, I don't see why he has to calm down or why it's even a topic of discussion.

Red CB Toronto
08-11-2019, 09:55 PM
Holy crap, was that after the Orlando game?

He was on the field until the final whistle. Unless he has a doppelganger, he didn't.

And there was never any intention of any DP's, let alone Jozy playing against Otta-fucking-wa. lol.

Not sure where there rumour came from.

Yes he was on the field until the final whistle, he was gone from the stadium like 15 min after it.

James17930
08-11-2019, 10:07 PM

What happened exactly?

Brooker
08-12-2019, 05:26 AM
Yes he was on the field until the final whistle, he was gone from the stadium like 15 min after it.

Yeah I read it wrong the first time. I edited it.

I still don't see what's wrong or what the issue is? He left.

ensco
08-12-2019, 05:32 AM
There was a top shelf Rogers Cup related tennis party in the city Saturday night. Easy to imagine Jozy trying to get to that.

Section_105
08-13-2019, 10:24 AM
There was a top shelf Rogers Cup related tennis party in the city Saturday night. Easy to imagine Jozy trying to get to that.

that's where my mind went as well. unless he was pushing people out the way he was probably just taking the one oppo every 2 years to party with his lady in town. With our traffic though he was probably still late :)

Oldtimer
08-13-2019, 10:37 AM
Hopefully they can calm Jozy down after he bolted out of the stadium within 10-15 of the final whistle.

That's too logical and calm reasoning... we need drama!!! :D

I'm pretty sure Jozy will be on the bench as insurance, in case needed against Ottawa. Maybe Pozo or Bradley. Otherwise the lineup will look pretty much similar as the last VC game.

Joe Kool
08-13-2019, 12:34 PM
I'm pretty sure Jozy will be on the bench as insurance, in case needed against Ottawa. Maybe Pozo or Bradley. Otherwise the lineup will look pretty much similar as the last VC game.

My issue is where do you draw the line where your confidence is high enough on the bench guys that will play and when does it become arrogance. Not sure if I worded that right. Haha. What I mean is if we trot out the same lineup are we confident enough that they will get the job done? Don't want to see a bunch of younger guys out there just thinking they have to go through the motions and this is a done deal. I would almost prefer to play a better starting 11 with only a couple bench guys and destroy them then just playing the same group and hoping they don't come out overconfident and tank it. Thinking back to that Houston game where Vanney showed his overconfidence of the win with his lineup.

noxx98
08-13-2019, 12:47 PM
Unrelated to TFC/Fury - Piatti has been ruled out for the Impact's second leg vs. Cavalry. Could be a big opportunity here for Cavalry to pick up the win.

https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/1161321929502089217

Mikmacdo
08-13-2019, 01:06 PM
I wouldn’t be surprised of the Cavs win 1-0 and advance. It would be cool if TFC had to play a CPL team instead of the same old shit.

Section_105
08-13-2019, 01:10 PM
I wouldn’t be surprised of the Cavs win 1-0 and advance. It would be cool if TFC had to play a CPL team instead of the same old shit.

agreed. would love to see this for the CPL and for TFC. would be very cool.

can see montreal tanking this as well in an attempt to salvage their MLS playoff hopes. (now they will win 5-0....)

Red CB Toronto
08-13-2019, 01:11 PM

But to be honest , I always love a night out, enjoying the day in Montreal and all that it brings. Calgary would be interesting but Montreal is our rival, and I love those games.

Mikmacdo
08-13-2019, 01:12 PM
agreed. would love to see this for the CPL and for TFC. would be very cool.

can see montreal tanking this as well in an attempt to salvage their MLS playoff hopes. (now they will win 5-0....)If Nacho is going to miss a few weeks they are toast imo. Tabla wont help much and Bojan seems to be washed up. They also lost Omar Browne.

Joe Kool
08-13-2019, 01:29 PM
Anyone know if they post the replay of the game on One Soccer website right after the game is done? I can't make it down to this game unfortunately and I can't make it home until 9PM or so to watch it. I don't want to join the match live at the end of the broadcast and would rather watch the whole game replay but I also don't want to wait until the next day to watch it. Just curious if anyone has experience with this for the One Soccer site because I am new to it.

Oldtimer
08-13-2019, 01:39 PM
Unrelated to TFC/Fury - Piatti has been ruled out for the Impact's second leg vs. Cavalry. Could be a big opportunity here for Cavalry to pick up the win.

He's a great player, but really showing his age with all these injuries.

He may be back for our big derby match on the 24th, but maybe not.

Oldtimer
08-13-2019, 01:43 PM
Anyone know if they post the replay of the game on One Soccer website right after the game is done? I can't make it down to this game unfortunately and I can't make it home until 9PM or so to watch it. I don't want to join the match live at the end of the broadcast and would rather watch the whole game replay but I also don't want to wait until the next day to watch it. Just curious if anyone has experience with this for the One Soccer site because I am new to it.

You don't typically have to wait until the next day to replay, but it's in the "small screen" mode while the feed is full screen.

Joe Kool
08-13-2019, 02:07 PM
You don't typically have to wait until the next day to replay, but it's in the "small screen" mode while the feed is full screen.

Ok thanks.

MightyDM
08-13-2019, 04:34 PM

Ummm. We have to win first. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves

barticusz
08-13-2019, 11:05 PM
I would love it if the Cavs won as it would give me a chance to drive down and see TFC!

Oldtimer
08-14-2019, 05:59 AM

Good point, although every commentator thinks it would be a near miracle for Ottawa to win. They need to score a minimum two away goals without conceding any at BMO when they couldn't get any at home with TFC playing mainly a B squad. Yeah, upsets happen, you gotta play the game, but it has to be 95%+ in TFC's favour.

noxx98
08-14-2019, 09:41 AM
Totally still is a game to be played, but history is on our side here. In the UCL if the away team wins and keeps a clean sheet in the first match they've won 97% of the time.
https://www.pinnacle.com/en/betting-articles/Soccer/champions-league-match-predictions/D3E2R38B3CRB5ZZX

nfitz
08-14-2019, 11:20 AM
I'm predicting a record-low crowd Voyageurs Cup crowd at BMO for this one. I'm guessing some seasons-ticket holders don't even know about this game.

There was no ticket in the ticket package this year (even though admission is included). Little mention of the game in the increasingly sparse email communications from the club. A brief reminder about tickets being online-only 3 weeks ago, and then a reminder just before noon today (game day). There wasn't even a mention in the online schedule until last week. And no broadcast TV coverage of this match, or the first leg. Meanwhile, for the casuals, Ottawa isn't very high profile

I'm paying attention, and I'm only just realizing now that the kick-off is 7:30 pm rather than 8 pm I'd assumed when I put it in my calendar, months ago.

I'm not sure what the marketing department at MLSE is thinking these days - but their game seems to have really slipped in recent years.

Looking at Ottawa's line-up ... gosh I hadn't realized, that TFC's first-year backup keeper David Monsalve is still around and was on the bench for the last match - and only 30-years old! Or that that first-year TFC player Nana Attakora was still with them.

benito
08-14-2019, 11:28 AM
I'm predicting a record-low crowd Voyageurs Cup crowd at BMO for this one. I'm guessing some seasons-ticket holders don't even know about this game.

There was no ticket in the ticket package this year (even though admission is included). The first mention of the game in the increasingly sparse email communications from the club was just before noon today (game day). There wasn't even a mention in the online schedule until last week. And no broadcast TV coverage of this match, or the first leg.

I'm paying attention, and I'm only just realizing now that the kick-off is 7:30 pm rather than 8 pm I'd assumed when I put it in my calendar, months ago.

I'm not sure what the marketing department at MLSE is thinking these days - but their game seems to have really slipped in recent years.

I think the same thing. Weekday game and lack of buzz could mean a very low turnout.

Initial B
08-14-2019, 12:07 PM
Be careful what you wish for. That would mean that Cavalry would have beaten two MLS clubs to get there. What would be keeping TFC from being the third victim? At that point I think Vanney would be fired immediately, since getting to CCL is the one goal this season.

Oldtimer
08-14-2019, 12:38 PM
It sounds like Vanney won't be using any of our DPs, but will have our TAM players ready. That's likely insurance enough.

Joe Kool
08-14-2019, 12:44 PM
Be careful what you wish for. That would mean that Cavalry would have beaten two MLS clubs to get there. What would be keeping TFC from being the third victim? At that point I think Vanney would be fired immediately, since getting to CCL is the one goal this season.

Pretty sure we would play our first team in a final and not the group playing the Fury. Montreal beat us years ago when they were USL but that was against a much different TFC team. I can't see that type of thing repeating. The only team that can beat our team is our own team if you know what I mean. On our A game I don't see that anyone in this tourney can beat us.

Mikmacdo
08-14-2019, 05:59 PM
Gallardo getting the start!

Bono

Laryea-Zavs-Moor-Morrow
————Fraser—————-
Endoh-Deleon-Oso-Gallardo
————-Mullens————

something like that.

Oldtimer
08-14-2019, 06:08 PM
2 DPs on the bench, just in case.

OgtheDim
08-14-2019, 06:10 PM
Endoh is growing on me. That midfield in front of Fraser is dynamic. (Fraser is not dynamic)

Man, 2020 is going to be a blast.

notthesun
08-14-2019, 06:19 PM
Ciman hasn't started the past 3 games so it's telling to me that Vanney is staying away from the Ciman - Zavaleta partnership even against a USL side. I think that pairing is (rightfully) dead at this point.

PawTar711
08-14-2019, 06:22 PM
I believe we have to do really well this time, I think that its imperative that we do well in the Canadian championships to get our squads going and that we continue to bring invaluable hardware to our clubs trophy case.

woolly
08-14-2019, 06:37 PM
Are there any streams or is this one too exotic to broadcast?

OgtheDim
08-14-2019, 06:43 PM
Well apparently the game has started...one soccer with the rotating circle of regret.

Edit - apparently on the 24 hour channel.

No chance to mute Wheeler this week.

notthesun
08-14-2019, 06:59 PM
Nice finish from DeLeon. He's solid.

rydermike
08-14-2019, 07:03 PM
3-0 for us on aggregate now

OgtheDim
08-14-2019, 07:11 PM
Gallardo's initial sprint is...impressive.

MightyDM
08-14-2019, 07:12 PM
Endoh is growing on me. That midfield in front of Fraser is dynamic. (Fraser is not dynamic)

Man, 2020 is going to be a blast.

Really interesting. Oso is very effective with the right complements but not quite good enough to make it happen without complemtary players.

And Deleon is a keeper

OgtheDim
08-14-2019, 07:19 PM
Mullins is no Chad Barrett.

RedsYNWA
08-14-2019, 07:20 PM
3-0 game Over

Mikmacdo
08-14-2019, 07:23 PM
Deleon up the middle is where he should have been playing all year.

OgtheDim
08-14-2019, 07:24 PM
Deleon up the middle is where he should have been playing all year.

I have preferred him over Delgado but Bradley needs a spear carrier & Delgado is the designated one for that role.

jloome
08-14-2019, 07:26 PM
Wow, even the supporters' section is half empty.

Mikmacdo
08-14-2019, 07:31 PM
Wow, even the supporters' section is half empty.
Crowd has to be under 10,000.

Mullens looks better than Hamilton with his energy.

Hopefully Gallardo can get on the scoresheet in the second half.

Areathrasher
08-14-2019, 07:42 PM
Fraiser springing two counter attacks with marauding runs. You love to see it.

Mikmacdo
08-14-2019, 08:02 PM
Its weird seeing a 7 footer out there in the mid field.

barticusz
08-14-2019, 08:09 PM
How’s Gallardo been?

tfcfans
08-14-2019, 08:09 PM
Can anyone confirm whether we host the first or second leg for the Finals and how that is determined, as I don’t see any consistency on how that gets decided from the last few rounds?! (Assuming our result in this round is better on aggregate than either Montreal or Calgary - or does that even matter?).

ag futbol
08-14-2019, 08:12 PM
You can definitely see Okello's potential, needs polish however.

Not so sure about Gallardo given what we paid. Really fast and puts in a decent ball but so far doesn't seem to have much of a shot and seems to hold on to the ball too long.

stegosaurus
08-14-2019, 08:18 PM
Well, TFC can safely say they’d be promoted from the USL!

Mikmacdo
08-14-2019, 08:41 PM
You can definitely see Okello's potential, needs polish however.

Not so sure about Gallardo given what we paid. Really fast and puts in a decent ball but so far doesn't seem to have much of a shot and seems to hold on to the ball too long.

Its a bit early to judge given that hes hasn’t played with Pozuelo and Jozy and is basically in preseason.

I would have preferred Janson to Gallardo and Benezet but time will tell.

rydermike
08-14-2019, 09:11 PM
Can anyone confirm whether we host the first or second leg for the Finals and how that is determined, as I don’t see any consistency on how that gets decided from the last few rounds?! (Assuming our result in this round is better on aggregate than either Montreal or Calgary - or does that even matter?).
The highest seeded team gets to choose the order. Since we're the highest seeded team, we get to choose.

ag futbol
08-14-2019, 09:14 PM
Its a bit early to judge given that hes hasn’t played with Pozuelo and Jozy and is basically in preseason.

I would have preferred Janson to Gallardo and Benezet but time will tell.
It is early, no argument there.

Oldtimer
08-14-2019, 09:39 PM
Zavaleta looked poor and gave ample reason to nail him to the bench for anything higher than a USL side.

tfcfans
08-14-2019, 09:47 PM
The highest seeded team gets to choose the order. Since we're the highest seeded team, we get to choose.

Thanks!

Red CB Toronto
08-15-2019, 01:30 AM

Toronto hosts the second leg. Calgary had to host the second leg of their semi-final vs. Montreal due to their stadium at Spruce Meadows not being available due to a show jumping event

Red CB Toronto
08-15-2019, 01:34 AM
Attendance was 12, 683. Lower that I would have thought but hey it is what it is considering many factors.

Auzzy
08-15-2019, 06:43 AM
Good game overall. Attendance didn't bother me, although I admit there's something way off with TFC's marketing especially for these cup games. Supporters section was loud & proud, heard well throughout the stadium.

The performances by Deleon, Endoh, Fraser and Mullins were some of the high points. I'm warming up to the Mullins trade a bit more. He won't do as much against MLS opposition as he did vs Ottawa, and his miss near the start of the away leg was embarrassing. But it really helps if your backup forward plays with high energy, which Mullins has shown the last 2-3 times he has come on.

Bono had some of his old moments, but a couple of times I felt he's learned a bit from Q. Some situations where he obviously knew where he wanted to put the ball before he even received it, and he was able to execute quick accurate passes or throws to an open TFC player.

Defence was just OK against an Ottawa side that didn't offer much. Moor still showing some rust and/or age with a couple of bad passes, which used to be rare for him. And while defending, I think the whole crew allowed Ottawa more quality chances than they deserved. MLS sides would put a couple of those away.

Was Osorio the highest-paid player on the pitch last night? (I'm not sure yet about Gallardo's total cap hit.) I don't think player stats are available for this game, but... That's the kind of game where Osorio should be taking charge, controlling the game, and threatening the net, considering his pay and tenure. Instead Deleon did. I actually forgot Osorio was playing until the first half was almost over, and then he was subbed off at half.

Bushmancan
08-15-2019, 07:09 AM
Good game overall. Attendance didn't bother me, although I admit there's something way off with TFC's marketing especially for these cup games. Supporters section was loud & proud, heard well throughout the stadium.

The performances by Deleon, Endoh, Fraser and Mullins were some of the high points. I'm warming up to the Mullins trade a bit more. He won't do as much against MLS opposition as he did vs Ottawa, and his miss near the start of the away leg was embarrassing. But it really helps if your backup forward plays with high energy, which Mullins has shown the last 2-3 times he has come on.

Bono had some of his old moments, but a couple of times I felt he's learned a bit from Q. Some situations where he obviously knew where he wanted to put the ball before he even received it, and he was able to execute quick accurate passes or throws to an open TFC player.

Defence was just OK against an Ottawa side that didn't offer much. Moor still showing some rust and/or age with a couple of bad passes, which used to be rare for him. And while defending, I think the whole crew allowed Ottawa more quality chances than they deserved. MLS sides would put a couple of those away.

Was Osorio the highest-paid player on the pitch last night? (I'm not sure yet about Gallardo's total cap hit.) I don't think player stats are available for this game, but... That's the kind of game where Osorio should be taking charge, controlling the game, and threatening the net, considering his pay and tenure. Instead Deleon did. I actually forgot Osorio was playing until the first half was almost over, and then he was subbed off at half.

i think that was a pretty solid assessment, it wasn’t the best quality game but a beautiful night and wearing shorts, beats the February parka, which is what we are playing for to be the Canada entry into the CCL after all

:canada: (btw we need a TFC winter parka emoji)

I thought Laryea had a solid game, fearless in the final third but still disappears defensively and is getting better there (which says a lot, considering he is a right back). It was good to see Gallardo tracking back when the occasional walkabout happened.

As per Gallardo, I liked him but felt he was feeling some jitters and he needs to learn to shoot but I think that will come. I really liked his quick inside cut with his dribbling to open up space. He wasn’t spectacular by any means and missed at least two/three quality chances but if he gets confidence, I think he will surely help.

One thing that still concerns me is how easily we get burned every game with a timed run blasting right through our defensive line (that has to be coaching). Ottawa’s number 10 was sent in completely free and alone in the first half with the back line just watching. Bono came out and challenged and made a good save but a MLS striker scores and the games complexion changes.

COYRs

Areathrasher
08-15-2019, 08:03 AM
I would worry about Gallardo yet. He's still finding his feet, looked hesitant and nervous.

stegosaurus
08-15-2019, 08:07 AM
Laryea continues to look good. Deleon showed his experience. Fraser looked good too.

Whoever said that these are the games Osorio should be head and shoulders above others was right. He’s been anonymous in MLS games and he can’t even turn up against USL opposition. That new contract wasn’t a brilliant idea.

Graeme
08-15-2019, 08:07 AM
I would worry about Gallardo yet. He's still finding his feet, looked hesitant and nervous.

And yet Vanney is crucified for not starting him last Saturday...we're all so full of anxious TFC PTSD.

samuraizero
08-15-2019, 08:35 AM
Zavaleta looked poor and gave ample reason to nail him to the bench for anything higher than a USL side.

Yup but "Nephewtism" is gonna keep him on the TFC bench. He's not an MLS level player.

Oldtimer
08-15-2019, 09:09 AM
One thing that still concerns me is how easily we get burned every game with a timed run blasting right through our defensive line (that has to be coaching).

I wonder if the problem is with one of Vanney's assistants (who would be tasked with defensive drills) or with Vanney himself (for choosing his nephew to play when it's clear he's not good enough).

Is it a training issue or a personnel issue?

In favour of personnel, it also looks like Drew Moor is ready to retire. Despite reading the game really well, He's lost too much of a step to keep up.

OgtheDim
08-15-2019, 10:58 AM
Yup but "Nephewtism" is gonna keep him on the TFC bench. He's not an MLS level player.

He's not on the bench anymore for MLS games - that's Ciman. Zavs is in the Cup games for rotation, as is Moor, truth be known.

GerMc
08-15-2019, 01:30 PM
I know that he is new and needs to adjust, but I was not that impressed with Gallardo. He skyed the ball twice, and one was an absolute sitter. His movement up and down the line was OK, but not great. And he had a good cross or two, but nothing spectacular. I actually thought Laryea created more offence than he did (including one goal), even though Laryea was playing as right back and had a few defensive miscues.

Overall, certainly not a TAM-level player in my view. Maybe he has more potential, but as some on the board have suggested, maybe the reason that Vanney isn't playing him is because he isn't that good. I really hope that is not the case.

OgtheDim
08-15-2019, 02:29 PM
It takes at least 5 games to be able to judge a player.

Auzzy
08-15-2019, 02:43 PM

He's not on the bench anymore for MLS games - that's Ciman. Zavs is in the Cup games for rotation, as is Moor, truth be known.

Exactly. Zavaleta hasn't seen the field or the bench in MLS games since Houston. Ciman and Moor together would have been too slow, so I was OK with Zavaleta playing against Ottawa. (However I think then the whole team formation and playing style should work to shield the defence better, which didn't happen in some key moments. But overall they survived well.)

Really interesting will be to see which defenders Vanney uses for the cup final games vs Montreal, which will be tougher opposition.

Red CB Toronto
08-15-2019, 03:12 PM
Congrats to Noble on becoming last night the 216th player to have played at least one game for the Reds. Great to see a Canadian like him getting an opportunity.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48540786317_f380b130c0_c.jpg

Auzzy
08-15-2019, 08:05 PM
Not sure if it was mentioned yet, Drew Moor actually played a nice role in the 2nd goal, after the corner kick. Morrow headed the ball back in, and Moor redirected it with his hip to Deleon, who then set up Mullins for the goal.

stegosaurus
08-15-2019, 08:11 PM
Exactly. Zavaleta hasn't seen the field or the bench in MLS games since Houston. Ciman and Moor together would have been too slow, so I was OK with Zavaleta playing against Ottawa. (However I think then the whole team formation and playing style should work to shield the defence better, which didn't happen in some key moments. But overall they survived well.)

Really interesting will be to see which defenders Vanney uses for the cup final games vs Montreal, which will be tougher opposition.

Right.

Playing a CB other than Zavaleta in the second leg of a Canadians Cup game against USL opponents when the aggregate is already 2-0 is the wrong decision, and I’m not a Zavaleta fan.

Fort York Redcoat
08-17-2019, 08:32 AM
Right.

Playing a CB other than Zavaleta in the second leg of a Canadians Cup game against USL opponents when the aggregate is already 2-0 is the wrong decision, and I’m not a Zavaleta fan.

I'm reading you didn't want to waste playing Zav on this match. If that's what you mean- who then? Dunn-Johnson a shout again?

stegosaurus
08-17-2019, 08:39 AM
I'm reading you didn't want to waste playing Zav on this match. If that's what you mean- who then? Dunn-Johnson a shout again?

I think you misread, but I’m ESL so it could be that as well.

I meant if you’re paying Zavaleta then this is the perfect match for him; complaining about Zavaleta starting a Canadian Cup match against a USL opponent when we’re ahead 2-0 on aggregate is kind of silly.

Sorry for the confusion.

Fort York Redcoat
08-17-2019, 08:52 AM
I think you misread, but I’m ESL so it could be that as well.

I meant if you’re paying Zavaleta then this is the perfect match for him; complaining about Zavaleta starting a Canadian Cup match against a USL opponent when we’re ahead 2-0 on aggregate is kind of silly.

Sorry for the confusion.

Got it and totally agree.

I don't dislike the player but he needs to prove himself somewhere else.