PDA

View Full Version : Houston/New England to split Superliga cash

Azerban
08-04-2008, 07:46 PM
"The players on the Houston Dynamo and New England Revolution have agreed in advance of tomorrow night's SuperLiga final that they will split evenly the bonus money at stake in the game. The players have made this decision to show their solidarity and in protest of the league's violation of the Collective Bargaining Agreement with respect to the negotiation of bonuses for this tournament."

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2008/08/superligas_money_issues.html

Don Garber is mad.

On the players' desire to share the money equally: "That's not something that is permitted in the CBA [collective bargaining agreement], it's not something we are going to allow and something, should they decide to do, we will have to manage it the way we would manage any other violation of the collective bargaining agreement. I believe we have got great players who have strong levels of integrity and competitive spirit, and I believe they will play this game the way they play every other game. ... We will pay the prize money as it was originially dictated as determined by MLS ownership. If there is something we determine is a violation of the CBA, we will address it."

The clubs take 85% of the winnings and leave the other 15% to the players, whereas if a Mexican club won, the entire million dollars would go to the players. MLS is cheap, go figure?

Dirk Diggler
08-04-2008, 07:51 PM
Why should any money go to the clubs? Every ownership group in the MLS is loaded with money. In addition, it isn't as if the money could be reinvested in the roster. There is a salary cap. This entire Superliga concept was stupid.

Baggio2TFC
08-04-2008, 08:01 PM
And they should split the money. I dare them too! We all know Gerber doesn't want any bad press, so he said what he had to say, and this will all disappear once the Superliga is over. Believe me when I say, as this league grows, Gerber will become a little puppet in this league as more and more people invest. He has too, how else are you going to grow this league. Bad press, I think NOT!!

BBBulldog
08-04-2008, 08:14 PM
friendly ending to a friendly tourney :D Too bad we wasted a month on it again