PDA

View Full Version : Major League Championship

Prof
06-13-2019, 06:14 PM
I am sick of hearing on TV and radio comments that the Raptors have a chance to bring the first "major championship" to Toronto since the 1993 Blue Jays. I have e-mailed each time I've heard this crap and reminded them of TFC's Championship team of 2017. I encourage everyone of you to do the same.:drinking:

ensco
06-13-2019, 06:27 PM
I love TFC and MLS precisely because it's not like other North American major leagues. But as to the merits...

Highest payroll in league:

2019 TFC - USD $22M
2019 GSW - USD $150M
2019 MUFC - USD $375M

:hide:

rydermike
06-13-2019, 06:28 PM
I am sick of hearing on TV and radio comments that the Raptors have a chance to bring the first "major championship" to Toronto since the 1993 Blue Jays. I have e-mailed each time I've heard this crap and reminded them of TFC's Championship team of 2017. I encourage everyone of you to do the same.:drinking:

The reality is it is not. I love TFC, but at best, MLS is 10th best league in the world.
NBA/MLB/NHL are all the best league in the world.

When the Jays won, if Raptors win, city can say "We're the best in the world".
TFC won, they obviously couldn't say that. Not even close.

Same as Argos Grey Cup in 2017. It's the 2nd best league in the world. At best, they were the 33rd best team in the world.
Or Marlies last year. At best they were 32nd best in the world

Prof
06-13-2019, 06:36 PM
The reality is it is not. I love TFC, but at best, MLS is 10th best league in the world.

Same as Argos Grey Cup in 2017. It's the 2nd best league in the world. At best, they were the 33rd best team in the world.

MLS has larger average attendance than both NHL and NBA.

OgtheDim
06-13-2019, 06:40 PM
This is all a variation of #lovemysport

In the end, its all an entertainment choice - I am happy that we get 20K+ out each home game. Don't need the media recognising our championship within a ranking system for me to fondly remember that night.

SoccMan2
06-13-2019, 07:22 PM
It just shows you that soccer is just not even close to the popularity of hockey, baseball, NFL football and basketball. Even if let’s say TFC played in say the EPL and say participated in the European Champions League and was in the European CCL final do you think TFC would generate the kind of following the Raptors are experiencing with this championship run? I highly doubt it because it’s soccer and even though we want to believe it but soccer is way behind the other big four sports in Canada and the US and I don’t think this will ever change unfortunately.

portu
06-13-2019, 08:32 PM

I can't agree with this to be honest. The NBA, MLB, NHL is comparable to the Premier League/La Liga. MLS is comparable to the Swedish league? AHL? We aren't truly "major".

stegosaurus
06-13-2019, 08:51 PM
MLS has larger average attendance than both NHL and NBA.

Look at the ACC, it seats less people. What a bizarre thread and ridiculous commentary.

burlington Red
06-14-2019, 06:28 AM
Need some memory help here. Didn't we get a chance for free raptors tickets a few yrs ago as part of our SSH packages. I seem to recall going to a game for this very reason. I stand corrected if wrong.

Red4ever
06-14-2019, 06:35 AM
I hate the narrative that Toronto hasn't won a championship ignoring TFC.

I also hate the TFC fans complaining publically. It's embarassing.

Prof
06-14-2019, 07:16 AM

So by your logic when Manchester City wins the EPL it's not a real accomplishment because everyone knows La Liga is the better league. This North American only one league is the very best is bullshit. Let's congratulate the great accomplishment of the Raptors but not minimize the great feat of the 2017 TFC team. That is all I am saying.

leafsman
06-14-2019, 07:41 AM
Need some memory help here. Didn't we get a chance for free raptors tickets a few yrs ago as part of our SSH packages. I seem to recall going to a game for this very reason. I stand corrected if wrong.

I think you're correct. I'm pretty sure I went to one from TFC

stegosaurus
06-14-2019, 08:37 AM
So by your logic when Manchester City wins the EPL it's not a real accomplishment because everyone knows La Liga is the better league. This North American only one league is the very best is bullshit. Let's congratulate the great accomplishment of the Raptors but not minimize the great feat of the 2017 TFC team. That is all I am saying.

No, it’s like saying no one cares about Genk winning the Belgian league or Tokyo FC winning the J-League outside the country or fans of those specific teams.

No one here is minimizing TFC’s win; they’re just focusing on reality. A lot of Torontonians don’t even know TFC exists or that they won the league.

The City take is absolutely ridiculous too, because everyone knows the Premier League is the biggest league in the world by any metric, with the most prestigious title, and that La Liga is top heavy.

I don’t watch handegg football, and don’t care who wins the Super Bowl, let alone caring about the Argos or the fact they won some meaningless title despite being called the “Toronto” Argos. Just like no one in general cares about the Marlies (including Leafs fans), or even the Rock, who may actually be in the top lacrosse league, but I couldn’t tell you because lacrosse isn’t on anyone’s radar.

jabbronies
06-14-2019, 09:12 AM
if it makes you feel any better - I saw a post where it listed all the major North American Championships won in this city in recent memory and the Argos were literally a sub point at the bottom of the list. Not even a major point - it was great.

C.Ronaldo
06-14-2019, 09:39 AM

Unless you win club world cup, no team can truly say they are the best in the world.
its a still a major trophy and a major accomplishment.

Now Im happy for basketball and the raps. 15 years ago the raps were in the same boat we are in, media never took it seriously as a major sport in the city

The sports media is very strange in this city. they purposely ignore other sports as if they are inferior.
examples of sports which are large in other parts of the world, (and played by many here)
Lacrosse (indoor and outdoor)
Cricket
Rugby
Most racket sports
any other version of hockey that's not played on the ice or is not the NHL
Volleyball
Soccer (unless worldcup), indoor, and futsal)
Handball
Cycling

C.Ronaldo
06-14-2019, 09:41 AM
if it makes you feel any better - I saw a post where it listed all the major North American Championships won in this city in recent memory and the Argos were literally a sub point at the bottom of the list. Not even a major point - it was great.

that list was for north american championships, CFL is only Canadian league (which apparently isn't wroth winning if it just "canadian")

The CPL has some mountains to climb

reggie
06-14-2019, 10:04 AM
tfc s win was major for me:scarf:

Canary10
06-14-2019, 10:51 AM
Toronto FC is the fourth biggest team in Toronto, so the qualifier "of the big 4" really doesn't make any sense to me.

I also find the thing about saying MLS isn't amongst the top 4 leagues in soccer kinda annoying. Hockey, baseball and American football are virtually non-existent sports anywhere outside of North America.

Basketball at least has some legitimate claim to being a world sport, which is why I think this win is bigger than Blue Jays winning the World Series, or frankly the Leafs winning the Stanley Cup if that ever happened.

Joe Kool
06-14-2019, 11:16 AM
The passing over of TFC when they are talking about Toronto sports team championships does annoy me too but not surprising. Lots of people are ignorant. I only caught part of it as he was saying it but I am pretty sure Derringer on Q107 said something like "this isn't some little soccer trophy" when they were talking about the difference between TFC winning and the Raptors. Media is always looking for the biggest story or spin. Does it sounds like a bigger accomplishment if they said no Toronto team has won a championship since 1993 or if they said a Toronto team hasn't won a championship since 2017? They go with the biggest spin. You can't compare the publicity and following the Raptors got versus TFC during their playoff run and that is not up for debate. The Raps following was amazing from everyone across the country. The crowds and excitement were excellent and would be great to have that for TFC one day but not holding my breath. The issue is the lack of acknowledgement and sometimes heavy downplay of TFC's accomplishment that is annoying. I tuned out of most of the Raps coverage just because it irks me all the time. It is what it is though. People will always have their own opinion. As long as I am in the stadium or at home with like minded people watching TFC I really don't care about others and their opinions.

PizzaEatingYeti
06-14-2019, 11:19 AM
Hockey, baseball and American football are virtually non-existent sports anywhere outside of North America.

"Baseball and American football are virtually non-existent sports anywhere outside of North America."

Corrected you.
Hockey is a popular sport in many countries outside USA and Canada!

Canary10
06-14-2019, 11:21 AM
"Baseball and American football are virtually non-existent sports anywhere outside of North America."

Corrected you.

My relatives in the UK call it ice hockey to differentiate it from field hockey. I'm not sure we have a good perspective in Canada on how not popular hockey really is everywhere else. It's not even really that popular in the US.

Joe Kool
06-14-2019, 11:22 AM
Toronto FC is the fourth biggest team in Toronto, so the qualifier "of the big 4" really doesn't make any sense to me.

Yeah media keeps saying the first of "the big 4" of Toronto sports teams to win something in years. People are regurgitating that all over social media. Leafs, Raptors, Jays.....what is the other "big 4" team if not TFC? I doubt it would be Argos. They don't even have their own stadium and have to leach off others for a place to play and they also play in a Canadian only league and not a North American league. Maybe they need to change that to "big 3" if they are not counting TFC so they don't sound ignorant.

PizzaEatingYeti
06-14-2019, 11:28 AM
Yeah media keeps saying the first of "the big 4" of Toronto sports teams to win something in years. People are regurgitating that all over social media. Leafs, Raptors, Jays.....what is the other "big 4" team if not TFC? I doubt it would be Argos. They don't even have their own stadium and have to leach off others for a place to play and they also play in a Canadian only league and not a North American league. Maybe they need to change that to "big 3" if they are not counting TFC so they don't sound ignorant.

I think they are speaking about the 4 major sports in the common US-Canada sports market, and in this case the 4th Toronto team would be the non existent "Toronto NFL Team".

OgtheDim
06-14-2019, 11:34 AM

#4 is the NFL

Personally, I think #4 would either be Italy at the World Cup or India in cricket.

Oldtimer
06-14-2019, 12:02 PM
A big part of the problem is that Canadians tend to measure how important something is by whether Americans think it is important.

So NFL, NBA, MLB, and (in part of the US) NHL have the hype.

Soccer, lacrosse, CFL, rugby get limited respect.

Joe Kool
06-14-2019, 12:34 PM
I think they are speaking about the 4 major sports in the common US-Canada sports market, and in this case the 4th Toronto team would be the non existent "Toronto NFL Team".

Yeah I figure that is what they are meaning (top 4 popular leagues in North America and not top 4 Toronto teams). They just sound really ignorant saying what they are saying because they are not saying what we all assume they mean.

Bellzy
06-14-2019, 12:42 PM
My relatives in the UK call it ice hockey to differentiate it from field hockey. I'm not sure we have a good perspective in Canada on how not popular hockey really is everywhere else. It's not even really that popular in the US.

You're completely off the mark around hockey's global footprint. Most countries outside North America call it Ice Hockey for differentiation sake but that has nothing to due with it's popularity outside North America. That's simply a bad take and you should apologize :hump:

C.Ronaldo
06-14-2019, 12:56 PM

Corrected you.

just not always "ice" hockey

C.Ronaldo
06-14-2019, 12:59 PM
A big part of the problem is that Canadians tend to measure how important something is by whether Americans think it is important.

So NFL, NBA, MLB, and (in part of the US) NHL have the hype.

Soccer, lacrosse, CFL, rugby get limited respect.

americans love their outdoor lacrosse, just not beyond college for some reason

Edit:
God bless google
Premier Lacrosse League is an American professional field lacrosse league. The league's inaugural season debuted on June 1, 2019, and includes a 14-week tour-based schedule taking place in 12 "major-market cities." Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_Lacrosse_League)
FINALLY! I love the strategy of outdoor lacrosse. its like soccer meets basketball

Prof
06-14-2019, 01:27 PM

Corrected you.

Ice hockey is the official national winter sport of Canada. In addition, ice hockey is the most popular winter sport in Belarus, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Finland,Latvia, Russia, Slovakia, Sweden, and Switzerland. Really not too many countries. The reality is Baseball, Pointy Football, and Hockey are relatively niche sports worldwide and the obvious insecurity of our so called sportscasters in this country is to put something down that they do not know/understand, thus the continuous bias against soccer.

Red4ever
06-14-2019, 01:42 PM
the obvious insecurity of our so called sportscasters in this country is to put something down that they do not know/understand, thus the continuous bias against soccer.

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/5872ad1337c5811e54d2bec3/5872b00bc534a543f9d47e43/592cb0fe725e2556b3d0beff/1496111571922/tumblr_inline_oqdxrcRrtY1t1jybq_500.gif?format=150 0w

jabbronies
06-14-2019, 01:52 PM

Corrected you.

So is baseball. Japan is the most obvious example. the Caribbean would be next

Canary10
06-14-2019, 02:02 PM
You're completely off the mark around hockey's global footprint. Most countries outside North America call it Ice Hockey for differentiation sake but that has nothing to due with it's popularity outside North America. That's simply a bad take and you should apologize :hump:

Not sure if you're being serious about this or not. I exaggerate this slightly for argument's sake and because it's fun to get hockey fans all mad at times. But, honestly, what percentage of the world would even think about hockey as a top of mind sport?

OgtheDim
06-14-2019, 02:13 PM
#likemysport has no boundaries

Ultra & Proud
06-14-2019, 02:50 PM
But, honestly, what percentage of the world would even think about hockey as a top of mind sport?
Canada and maybe Scandinavia & Russia. That's it.

reggie
06-14-2019, 08:26 PM
Canada and maybe Scandinavia & Russia. That's it.
i love me some hockey...but i think its not even in the the top 10 in the world:scarf:

SoccMan2
06-14-2019, 08:48 PM
Go Raptors go , look it’s great that they won and winning in the best league in the world, but just like all the other sports that are really big here in North America, go Raptors go is the only chant they have lol that’s it , go Raptors go haha!

stegosaurus
06-14-2019, 09:06 PM
Go Raptors go , look it’s great that they won and winning in the best league in the world, but just like all the other sports that are really big here in North America, go Raptors go is the only chant they have lol that’s it , go Raptors go haha!

You forgot “Defense!”

SoccMan2
06-14-2019, 09:33 PM
You forgot “Defense!”
Oh ya forgot that one lol !

Redcoe15
06-16-2019, 11:46 AM
After the 2017 MLS Cup, I remember how crazy the entire area of Liberty Village was. Lots of celebrating, high fiving, and all around happy feelings. But when I returned to my downtown hotel around midnight, it was just another Saturday night in Toronto. You wouldn't have thought one of the city's teams had won a championship with how quiet the streets were.

So I'm not surprised at how easily TFC is overlooked when compared to the other major league teams here. To some, TFC and MLS are considered minor league compared the other soccer leagues around the world. Even among hardcore soccer fans here.

Hamilton_Red
06-17-2019, 08:19 AM
It makes me sad for Canada when we buy in to this “Big Four Sports” narrative/bullshit.

Ice Hockey (NHL) - 7 Professional teams
Baseball (MLB) - 1 Professional team
Basketball (NBA) - 1 Professional team
Football (NFL) - 0 Professional teams

Thats it...second biggest country in the world, 35 million plus people, 16 cities with > 300k. The fact that the population accepts being voyeurs on the US sports orgy rather than participates itself is beyond me. Even the Raptors - where are the Canadians? We are renting glory. We aren’t participants...we watch another country’s sport on TV. Accepting a metro area of 5 Million should only have 1 hockey team for its most beloved sport - is just pathetic.

CPL - drawing 3,000 people in Toronto...because “its not bigtime” is just sad. It says something truly bad about Canada’s love of sports to me. A 16 team CPL with live games across the country will do more for big time development of sport than any of these so called Big 4 sports.

OgtheDim
06-17-2019, 09:00 AM
It takes a long time to build the minor league infrastructure that allows an individual sport to develop.

Yes, we have youth clubs.

We don't have this

62 Junior C level clubs across Ontario

C level - this is the 4th division of Junior hockey in this country

http://pjhl_site.wttstats.pointstreak.com/standings.html?leagueid=2172&seasonid=18456

The demand for people to play & watch soccer in small towns across this country isn't anywhere close to what it is for hockey - nor is it close to what it is for football in Europe.

This is going to take decades to build out. When every 5K-10K size town in Canada has a team from May through August, then soccer will have arrived as a part of the consciousness of this country.

Oldtimer
06-17-2019, 09:25 AM
It's interesting watching about 5 minutes of the Raptors victory parade on TSN. Very reminiscent of the TFC victory parade with the cup and team on top of the busses, only the crowds are even larger.

We shouldn't get discouraged about the "big four" narrative. Germany's traditional sport was gymnastics, way bigger than football. It took decades for the Bundesliga to get to where it is now. It will probably happen here too with soccer in Canada. I may not be around to see it but there are those around today who probably will.

SoccMan2
06-17-2019, 12:36 PM
It makes me sad for Canada when we buy in to this “Big Four Sports” narrative/bullshit.

Ice Hockey (NHL) - 7 Professional teams
Baseball (MLB) - 1 Professional team
Basketball (NBA) - 1 Professional team
Football (NFL) - 0 Professional teams

Thats it...second biggest country in the world, 35 million plus people, 16 cities with > 300k. The fact that the population accepts being voyeurs on the US sports orgy rather than participates itself is beyond me. Even the Raptors - where are the Canadians? We are renting glory. We aren’t participants...we watch another country’s sport on TV. Accepting a metro area of 5 Million should only have 1 hockey team for its most beloved sport - is just pathetic.

CPL - drawing 3,000 people in Toronto...because “its not bigtime” is just sad. It says something truly bad about Canada’s love of sports to me. A 16 team CPL with live games across the country will do more for big time development of sport than any of these so called Big 4 sports.
Oh yes you are so right brother, In terms of pro sports a sport like hockey which is a religion here in Canada we only have one NHL team in a city the size of Toronto is pathetic ,there should be like at least 4 never mind just 1! How many pro teams does London in the UK have just in the EPL alone never mind the lower divisions. How many stadiums with 20 or more thousand are in London England? At least 10 or more, how many in Toronto 20 thousand or more , like 3 . I love this city and country but when it comes to sports there are so many things that just puzzle me in this city and country.

Leedsoronto
06-18-2019, 07:25 AM
Can anyone explain how NBA is a World Cup when it’s only played in the USA and one town in Canada ?

Are Man City world champions too ?

Red CB Toronto
06-18-2019, 08:24 AM
It's interesting watching about 5 minutes of the Raptors victory parade on TSN. Very reminiscent of the TFC victory parade with the cup and team on top of the busses, only the crowds are even larger.

We shouldn't get discouraged about the "big four" narrative. Germany's traditional sport was gymnastics, way bigger than football. It took decades for the Bundesliga to get to where it is now. It will probably happen here too with soccer in Canada. I may not be around to see it but there are those around today who probably will.

So did you enjoy watching the parade? It was really quite spectacular to see the city and beyond come it in the numbers they did yesterday. I think even us TFC diehards will admit we can only dream of such a receptions for our Reds. A post I read yesterday by a fellow TFC supporter really said it well. The 2017 parade was for us where yesterday was for everyone.

Canary10
06-18-2019, 08:53 AM
Can anyone explain how NBA is a World Cup when it’s only played in the USA and one town in Canada ?

They shouldn't use the term world champions. It's a relic of America thinking it's the centre of the world.

JT Red127
06-18-2019, 09:03 AM
This is a simple thing...MLS is far from being the best league in the sport, NBA is by far the greatest basketball league. Nothing more than that, stop comparing its apples and oranges.

FIAF
06-18-2019, 09:18 AM
Also TFC does not gather all football fans like raptors does. How many people snub MLS overall even though they love football? More than half?

Mike_S
06-18-2019, 09:55 AM

LOL, it's just semantics. THE NBA is by far the best club league in the world where you cannot say that about the Premier League, La Liga, etc.. There's no way, say, CSKA Moscow, the EuroLeague Champs could beat the Raptors or Warriors over 7 games; the talent level is too great. Plus...they're Americans, that's what they say about their Bowling Champions :D

Mike_S
06-18-2019, 10:04 AM
This argument is much ado about nothing, I agree, but I do sympathize with those who get irritated. It's the hypocrisy of it all, isn't it? A poster earlier mentioned Derringer...I remember him singing a VERY different tune when TFC were making their Cup runs and ratings were through the roof. Same with Simmons, McCown, etc.

My beef is why is this issue even raised. The Raptors have won their first NBA Championship. What does it matter when the Jays won a World Series or the Leafs a Cup, or, my favourite, the <insert imaginary team here> a Super Bowl? :facepalm: :D

Oldtimer
06-18-2019, 10:09 AM
So did you enjoy watching the parade?

"Enjoy" is a bit strong. :lol: I'm not really into parades of any kind. It was interesting.

I did watch the TFC parade go by live for about 45 min max, a very happy occasion, that's about all I can take.

Fort York Redcoat
06-18-2019, 06:43 PM
Guys

2 million people were at the Parade.

I don't care

How many of them follow every game?

It's what we do

It's how much we should care

To listen to Sports radio repeat the mantra of Best Fans in NBA is hilarious.

I'm glad they're having fun but come on

"We've waited 20 odd years..."

Sure they all have

stegosaurus
06-19-2019, 10:06 AM
This thread is the equivalent of kids happily playing at the park until that one kid rolls up in his brand new Power Wheels.

Oldtimer
06-19-2019, 10:12 AM
How many of them follow every game?

I've at least been to a few Raptors Games but don't pretend to be a big fan or know the game that well. Some of these "Superfans" have just discovered that professional basketball exists, which is hilarious. That's OK. Bandwagons are broad and it's nice for the teams to have a good crowd out.

Professional soccer in Canada is a little more niche, but there were bandwagoners for TFC's run too.

Oldtimer
06-19-2019, 10:13 AM
This thread is the equivalent of kids happily playing at the park until that one kid rolls up in his brand new Power Wheels.

You don't have to read the thread if it upsets you too much.

stegosaurus
06-19-2019, 10:19 AM
You don't have to read the thread if it upsets you too much.

If every upsetting moment was as funny as this thread, people would enjoy being upset more often :)

jabbronies
06-19-2019, 11:05 AM

CPL draws 3000 people in Toronto because it's not good soccer. Period. Not many people want to spend their money on low tier entertainment.

JT Red127
06-19-2019, 11:15 AM
CPL draws 3000 people in Toronto because it's not good soccer. Period. Not many people want to spend their money on low tier entertainment.

Wolfpack has achieved that somehow. CPL, locally (York) at least I think missed the boat on who they are marketing to and where they are playing.

jabbronies
06-19-2019, 11:39 AM
Wolfpack has achieved that somehow. CPL, locally (York) at least I think missed the boat on who they are marketing to and where they are playing.

Wolfpack attracted Liberty Village hipsters and Rugby folk looking for something remotely professional. Wolfpack are also the only rugby ticket in town.
MLS was low tier entertainment, but it was the only thing around at the time. Plus it had the promise of becoming much bigger and it has actually converted on that.

CPL missed the boat on being there on the ground level for football in this city. You can blame CSA for that. They have failed this country for decades. They are losers and most sports fans know this - maybe not that the CSA are losers, but that Canadian Produced soccer are losers. People are not convinced anything they produce can be of any value. How many CPL's have come and gone and done squat.

CPL Fans think the league will just waltz onto the scene and be accepted by hundreds of thousands - t's not going to happen. and IMO - it's actually counterproductive to the league becoming successful.

They will need to prove themselves over the next 10-15 years and show actual growth before they can garner support similar to other sports in the country.

Initial B
06-19-2019, 12:01 PM
CPL missed the boat on being there on the ground level for football in this city. You can blame CSA for that. They have failed this country for decades. They are losers and most sports fans know this - maybe not that the CSA are losers, but that Canadian Produced soccer are losers. People are not convinced anything they produce can be of any value. How many CPL's have come and gone and done squat.

CPL Fans think the league will just waltz onto the scene and be accepted by hundreds of thousands - t's not going to happen. and IMO - it's actually counterproductive to the league becoming successful.

They will need to prove themselves over the next 10-15 years and show actual growth before they can garner support similar to other sports in the country.
Most CPL fans have no illusion that it's going to be a hard couple of years, but I understand all the investors have signed on for 10 years and are prepared for millions in losses. That said, I think the key is focus on Canadian cities outside of the Big 3 (it seems to work for the CFL), build rivalries and then promote the heck out of the MLS matchups in the Voyageurs Cup. I think in a decade the league could have a vibrant niche of about 12-16 teams.

JT Red127
06-19-2019, 12:31 PM
Wolfpack attracted Liberty Village hipsters and Rugby folk looking for something remotely professional. Wolfpack are also the only rugby ticket in town.
MLS was low tier entertainment, but it was the only thing around at the time. Plus it had the promise of becoming much bigger and it has actually converted on that.

If the CPL marketing similar to Wolfpack they would have been successful. Its not all hipsters and rugby folk, have you been down there? CPL needed to find their spot in the region, and York is not it. They should have looked at the east end, Monarch Stadium for example. Expand it, improve it and you are in a neighbourhood where you can get young folk, families etc. Make connections and build something real...not some weird lets draw from 9 towns dream.

stegosaurus
06-19-2019, 12:38 PM

I think the CPL is a nice idea in theory, but there have been more than a few “obstacles” in the inaugural year that need to be ironed out.

There’s a place for it, especially far outside of Toronto (assuming these communities are into soccer). That said, as a fan of the sport, I have no interest in York Region in general, I don’t like going to Vaughan, and if I wasn’t going out of my way to watch TFC2 or Academy games I’m not going to go out of my way to watch ex-TFC2 players ply their trade for a team I feel no connection to whatsoever.

It’s a fun match for kids who are interested in the sport, like arena soccer in Mississauga (also featuring ex-TFC players), but the prices seem a bit inflated at first as to appear “serious” considering the level of play.

I hope they didn’t think they’d sway fans of an already established franchise who attend games so much as it was “throwing a bone” to people in the burbs.

OgtheDim
06-19-2019, 01:26 PM
CPL game tonight - judge ticket prices accordingly

https://i.imgur.com/1qkRXAU.png

stegosaurus
06-19-2019, 01:53 PM
CPL game tonight - judge ticket prices accordingly

https://i.imgur.com/1qkRXAU.png

I already saw Redditors complaining about the CPL pricing, and don’t know how these prices differ from the initial ones, but these tickets seem a bit excessive for having to go to York and watch not-TFC2 play on a Wednesday night.

You think they’d have started lower.

PizzaEatingYeti
06-19-2019, 02:45 PM
WOW, these prices are bad even to be a joke!
Even 50% would be too high compared to the quality people get to see, and the salaries those players are making.
WTF???

stegosaurus
06-20-2019, 08:14 AM
WOW, these prices are bad even to be a joke!
Even 50% would be too high compared to the quality people get to see, and the salaries those players are making.
WTF???

I think the general consensus is that it was pretty empty last night.

Initial B
06-20-2019, 09:07 AM
Well, for comparison, their supporter and goalline seats are cheaper than what I can get for the Ottawa Fury and the seats closer to centrefield are about comparable. However, their 3 centre sections are almost double the cost of comparable Fury seats. Then again, we're comparing a Div 1 team to a Div 2 team, so maybe it's in line with the expected product?

stegosaurus
06-20-2019, 11:13 AM
Well, for comparison, their supporter and goalline seats are cheaper than what I can get for the Ottawa Fury and the seats closer to centrefield are about comparable. However, their 3 centre sections are almost double the cost of comparable Fury seats. Then again, we're comparing a Div 1 team to a Div 2 team, so maybe it's in line with the expected product?

I don’t really watch the Fury other than when they play against us, but is the level really that different? Considering what I’ve seen thus far in York9 games (I think I’ve watched all of them), I’m not sure the prices are tied to the product.

Seems like a lot of people seem to be complaining about the prices and empty seats, and though I’m not the target market for the team, it seems like you either have sad attendance or give away free tickets in this case. Giving away free tickets defeats the purpose of charging prices this high in the first place, so I’m not sure what the logic was here.

If the ownership groups expect the teams to operate at a loss for the first bit, it would make sense to drum up support/viewership/matchgoers before trying to fill the till on ticket sales... especially when the match day product isn’t spectacular and the actual administration in terms of in-stadium matches seems to be pretty messed up from what a lot of people have been saying (like the rain delay debacle).

Fort York Redcoat
06-23-2019, 09:31 AM
I love watching a new league get off the ground.

The thread is taking an ironic derail right about now lads.

Major League talking or not talking about a lower league.

Just sayin

Theres a thread for CPL itself.