PDA

View Full Version : Match Day 13 - San Joe @ TFC Sunday May 26 7:30pm Is Always better then Nothing

OgtheDim
05-20-2019, 07:24 AM
Trying hard to recreate what had yet to be created

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKYQNtF11eg

Have at It People

Auzzy
05-20-2019, 10:38 AM
I got nothing. We shall see. I have no idea what's going to happen.

San Jose has been hot & cold. Generally a bit hotter lately. They beat Chicago 4-1, which seems to be a decent team. But San Jose lost 3-1 the week before, in New England. WTF?

Perhaps Manning sets another ultimatum, and Vanney plays more pragmatically?

Would the players even listen to that?

James17930
05-20-2019, 07:11 PM
There are many problems with the team currently, obviously, but one of the main ones is speed. We are just too damn slow, both in terms of how we set up plays and just our general foot speed.

I want to see the club give some of our young players a chance - Telfer, Shallfeburg, Dorsey - because if nothing else they should offer some speed.

I think this will be especially important against SJ as well because they man-mark. If we're too slow and they're working hard in that system they'll just smother us.

Areathrasher
05-20-2019, 07:18 PM
The return of Almeyda. The handsome CCL winning bastard.

Mikmacdo
05-20-2019, 08:44 PM
There are many problems with the team currently, obviously, but one of the main ones is speed. We are just too damn slow, both in terms of how we set up plays and just our general foot speed.

I want to see the club give some of our young players a chance - Telfer, Shallfeburg, Dorsey - because if nothing else they should offer some speed.

I think this will be especially important against SJ as well because they man-mark. If we're too slow and they're working hard in that system they'll just smother us.
Telfer plays for York9.

Mavinga and Ciman might be back.

Without Pozuelo I go with three at the back.

——Ciman-Moor-Mavinga
Auro-Delgado-Bradley-Morrow
—————-Osorio
————-Jozy-Boyd

OgtheDim
05-21-2019, 08:10 AM
I have little to no expectations of this game. Nobody wants it on defence hard enough. Nobody in attack is moving around like they want it too.

SJE is a group of individuals who are not as good as our players, but collectively they have a system that can stifle. Its going to take a supreme effort from Drew Moor to ensure our defence is always aware & its going to take a supreme effort from Osorio to marshal the attack against a team who plays in a system we have not seen since 2018.

Likely scenario - somebody somewhere will not be able to handle their approach & there will be a meltdown of epic proportions.

We should be beating Western teams of this calibre at home. That none of us think this is a given is not surprising.

What is shocking is that this team as it currently sits mentally does not know how to beat anybody.

James17930
05-21-2019, 06:41 PM
Telfer plays for York9.

Mavinga and Ciman might be back.

Without Pozuelo I go with three at the back.

——Ciman-Moor-Mavinga
Auro-Delgado-Bradley-Morrow
—————-Osorio
————-Jozy-Boyd

He's on loan. They just recall him. Easy.

Fort York Redcoat
05-21-2019, 06:57 PM

Too soon.

spe18
05-21-2019, 08:43 PM

Too soon.

Yup, press release says it's a "season-long loan" :)

https://york9fc.canpl.ca/article/york9-fc-acquires-ryan-telfer-on-loan-from-toronto-fc

Auzzy
05-21-2019, 09:42 PM
I thought CanPL might have rules on loans. They don't want to be an MLS reserve league.

James17930
05-22-2019, 06:59 PM
I thought CanPL might have rules on loans. They don't want to be an MLS reserve league.

Why would TFC hamstring themselves like that then?

Stupid.

stegosaurus
05-22-2019, 07:38 PM
Why would TFC hamstring themselves like that then?

Stupid.

Just scored again too.

Joe Kool
05-24-2019, 08:44 AM
FYI...DVP closed this weekend. Plan ahead...

pfk
05-24-2019, 09:03 AM
FYI...DVP closed this weekend. Plan ahead...

The City pushed the closure it back a day too (due to rain), but the closures start Saturday evening/Sunday morning.

Grandia
05-24-2019, 09:04 AM
is jozy fit?

lol i know i know...

Oldtimer
05-24-2019, 09:25 AM
I'm going to go counter the crowd and predict a 2-0 win for TFC.

Ultra & Proud
05-24-2019, 09:50 AM
I say 2-1 TFC.

I say we bounce back but I don't have clean sheet faith.

Joe Kool
05-24-2019, 10:21 AM
The City pushed the closure it back a day too (due to rain), but the closures start Saturday evening/Sunday morning.

Well our game is Sunday evening so no matter when it starts we are affected. Closure is until 5AM Monday morning the last I saw.

Ultra & Proud
05-24-2019, 11:08 AM
No Bradley at practice today. Interesting.

Auzzy
05-24-2019, 11:37 AM
Well our game is Sunday evening so no matter when it starts we are affected. Closure is until 5AM Monday morning the last I saw.

Holy crap this game is Sunday evening, thanks for the heads-up, I know it's right in the thread title but I had Saturday evening in mind. A bit cooler but no risk of thunderstorms (so far). First game this year I'll hopefully get my wife to go.

I'm not part of any crowd on predicting this game. Both TFC and San Jose have been extremely variable in their performance. You could say, predicting the outcome is subject to many degrees of freedom.

No Bradley at practice today. Interesting.

Oh no, shitstorm brewing in the transfers thread? I might go peek between my fingers...

Ultra & Proud
05-24-2019, 11:39 AM
Nope. Bradley has sore hamstring. Going to be an interesting line up Sunday.

pfk
05-24-2019, 04:22 PM
Nope. Bradley has sore hamstring. Going to be an interesting line up Sunday.

Oh dear, Bradley never gets hurt. Well, I guess it'll be Fraser starting.

It feels like a Canadian Championship game. No Pozo, no MB, questionable Jozy?

Mikmacdo
05-24-2019, 05:56 PM
Mavinga and Ciman are back training. I wouldn’t count out Bradley yet, they said he will practice tomorrow so there’s still a chance he plays. Jozy should be fine to start.

Fort York Redcoat
05-25-2019, 07:13 AM
Oh dear, Bradley never gets hurt. Well, I guess it'll be Fraser starting.

It feels like a Canadian Championship game. No Pozo, no MB, questionable Jozy?

Ah this makes a little more out of Fraser and Chapman "refusing" the callup to Canada for Gold Cup.

jloome
05-25-2019, 06:47 PM
I think things are seriously off behind the scenes right now. I don't like the whole front office-coach vibe, feels at odds.

I still think some of Vanney's tactical decisions seemed aimed at proving he can't use this group of players no matter what.

OgtheDim
05-26-2019, 06:49 AM
Its game day. :scarf:

After the Raptors last night.....I am really mellow about tonight. I'm going to watch my team play a team they should beat but as likely as not won't.

We could be without Bradley.
We are without Poz.
Altidore be limping.
And gosh darn didn't the ex just show up in town.

We could easily lose this one, and with our defence vs their approach to the game, we could stink up the joint.

To all that - yeah, so....THAT'S SUPPORTING A TEAM.

We moving forward. I'd still rather be us with our potential and what we have on our team and with our stadium and our fans then anybody else - yes even LAFC cause I'd rather have the pain followed by the highs then the insta success.

I know the "its a process" thing is a Philly meme now but that's the way I'm looking at all this.

You support a club for the journey, not just for the happy times. You support it because you are supporting imperfection...because you are seeking perfection, not getting it but watching the sport you enjoy in your stadium with 20K+ of people and having a good time watching the game we love to watch.

Like, look at all those Raptor fans who put up with a LOT of stuff for decades - they complained about players & coaches but they stuck with them. They watched a lot of fine BBall over the years and a watched a lot of painful losses & things. All power to them that were there back in the Dome days and were there last night too.

So if people want to duck out cause it ain't perfect - you do that. See you back when it gets well. Others want to be here and complaining, all power to you cause the rest of us are doing that too - we all along for the ride & nobody promises it to be smooth.

Tonight....down there......at OUR HOUSE.....with our guys....watching the game I love.

I'm in.

Hear you all tonight

ensco
05-26-2019, 11:37 AM
^Only ducking out because I am in Raps overdrive. Will probably catch some of game tonight on TV.

I will be back in a couple of weeks.

MightyDM
05-26-2019, 02:14 PM
I think things are seriously off behind the scenes right now. I don't like the whole front office-coach vibe, feels at odds.

I still think some of Vanney's tactical decisions seemed aimed at proving he can't use this group of players no matter what.

Yes. You might be right. For example, Hamilton played well in a “2” with Akinola. He doesn’t seem to be effective in a “1”. Yet Vanney stubbornly puts him there, misusing Poz in the process.

I still dont understand why he mailed in Atlanta. That was winnable.

ag futbol
05-26-2019, 03:48 PM
I’m interested (or maybe horrified) to see how the team does tonight without Bradley.

Will give us an idea of what else we need in the midfield (if he’s actually on the move).

noimpactinmtl
05-26-2019, 04:36 PM
I’m interested (or maybe horrified) to see how the team does tonight without Bradley.

Will give us an idea of what else we need in the midfield (if he’s actually on the move).

It would at the very least shut people up about paying a defensive midfielder like Bradley DP money.

It won’t shut people up about their idea that no defensive oriented player is ever worth a DP slot.

MightyDM
05-26-2019, 05:35 PM
Where is Oso? Strange game to rest him.

Mikmacdo
05-26-2019, 05:43 PM
Where is Oso? Strange game to rest him.

Sore hip apparently. No way tfc wins this game. Ugh.

portu
05-26-2019, 05:46 PM
I think it's perfectly fine to have a DM as a DP. Especially if the system has the ball going through them 90% of the time.

Mikmacdo
05-26-2019, 05:48 PM
I think it's perfectly fine to have a DM as a DP. Especially if the system has the ball going through them 90% of the time.
Giovanni dos santos is worth a dp spot for sure.

portu
05-26-2019, 05:54 PM
Giovanni dos santos is worth a dp spot for sure.

*That being said, a bad DP is a bad DP. Haha

MightyDM
05-26-2019, 05:58 PM
Sore hip apparently. No way tfc wins this game. Ugh.

Vanney has been poor about his rotations - both Oso and the General have injuries that are consistent with overuse.

portu
05-26-2019, 06:00 PM
This is going to be a long summer. Buckle in guys.

SoccMan2
05-26-2019, 06:02 PM
No Altidore either?

stegosaurus
05-26-2019, 06:43 PM
Seba in the house!

ag futbol
05-26-2019, 06:44 PM
That looked like a penalty to me. Caldwell as usual with some pro-defender hot take

samuraizero
05-26-2019, 06:47 PM
That looked like a penalty to me. Caldwell as usual with some pro-defender hot take

It's hard to say - the one angle didnt look like any contact, but the angle from on the field and the refs point of view definitely did.

FootBallAZ
05-26-2019, 06:49 PM
Def a penalty from where I'm sitting dead center lowest row on upper

FootBallAZ
05-26-2019, 06:50 PM
Nice to see seba and get some closure

portu
05-26-2019, 06:53 PM
I'm sorry Layrea's dribbled so well every single time he's played. 100% successful signing.

James17930
05-26-2019, 06:54 PM
I'm hoping at least some of the players are giving Giovinco the cold shoulder to maintain the pride of the club, because Manning apparently doesn't give a shit.

ag futbol
05-26-2019, 06:55 PM
I'm sorry Layrea's dribbled so well every single time he's played. 100% successful signing.
We’re likely barely paying him anything. Any contribution is a bonus

James17930
05-26-2019, 06:56 PM
We’re likely barely paying him anything. Any contribution is a bonus

But why is he the winger with Auto at RB?

Shouldn't that be switched?

stegosaurus
05-26-2019, 06:59 PM
But why is he the winger with Auto at RB?

Shouldn't that be switched?

I saw that edit. It’s because Auro is our RB.

Mikmacdo
05-26-2019, 07:01 PM
Layrea the right winger we've been missing.

James17930
05-26-2019, 07:03 PM
I saw that edit. It’s because Auro is our RB.

Which is bad, because he's a bad defender.

It really baffles me how coaches in sports can sometimes not see things that are blatantly obvious to everyone watching.

Auro is good going forward, so just put him on the wing. I don't know why Vanney would struggle with this.

Fort York Redcoat
05-26-2019, 07:05 PM
Listening on SJ radio. Not bad. Marlies kicked TFC off TSN radio tonight.

Hope Morrow scores.

portu
05-26-2019, 07:06 PM
Jozy is on the pitch right?

portu
05-26-2019, 07:08 PM
Layrea the right winger we've been missing.

L a r y e a

The winger we've been missing.

ag futbol
05-26-2019, 07:08 PM
Well deserved. He’s had a good game so far

stegosaurus
05-26-2019, 07:09 PM

It really baffles me how coaches in sports can sometimes not see things that are blatantly obvious to everyone watching.

Auro is good going forward, so just put him on the wing. I don't know why Vanney would struggle with this.

We don’t have an RB other than Deleon, who can play there, or Laryea, who isn’t an RB but they’re trying to turn him into one.

Plus you’d be making Auro lose his position.

Plus, if we played Auro instead of Laryea, he wouldn’t have scored there.

James17930
05-26-2019, 07:09 PM
Rickets-esque.

From what we've seen so far, Lareya has a better sense for defending than Auro ... he doesn't just stand off everybody and let them waltz right into the box.

And Auro seems to be better at delivering a cross on the run. That's why I would switch them.

stegosaurus
05-26-2019, 07:10 PM
Marky looking good tonight too.

ag futbol
05-26-2019, 07:10 PM

Yeah, Laryea is not great back there either though. And he actually has the ability as a wide midfielder to face up the defender and beat them for pace 1v1. I think they are in the right spots

stegosaurus
05-26-2019, 07:14 PM
I know it’s the Quakes, but... why do we look better without Pozo and Bradley and not playing possession?

Edit: why do Morgan and Laryea look like Messi?

jloome
05-26-2019, 07:16 PM
Yeah, Laryea is not great back there either though. And he actually has the ability as a wide midfielder to face up the defender and beat them for pace 1v1. I think they are in the right spots

B team is playing like they have something to prove tonight.

Laryea, Morgan, Fraser all looking really good. Delgado having his best game so far this season.

Mikmacdo
05-26-2019, 07:18 PM
I know it’s the Quakes, but... why do we look better without Pozo and Bradley and not playing possession?

Edit: why do Morgan and Laryea look like Messi?

Laryea is better up front. Hes only playing rb because tfc has no backup rb. I like his pace on the right wing. Telfer and laryea could be cheap solid backup wingers.

Fort York Redcoat
05-26-2019, 07:19 PM
Please no 150.

jloome
Well, that's why he's got the record.

notthesun

It's Jozy. He's still proving why he's been our most important player since 2015.

He misses a few games and you forget just how vital he is. The strength in hold up play (and confidence that gives teammates to make runs while he's coming down with the ball), the deft flicks, his very underrated passing, and just general smarts... he makes such a difference.

ag futbol
05-26-2019, 07:20 PM
Good grief if Morgan is going to defend like that he should never see the field.

Mikmacdo
05-26-2019, 07:21 PM
Good grief if Morgan is going to defend like that he should never see the field.

Chapman should be starting and morrow at lb. Moor was out of position too.

stegosaurus
05-26-2019, 07:22 PM
It's Jozy. He's still proving why he's been our most important player since 2015.

He misses a few games and you forget just how vital he is. The strength in hold up play (and confidence that gives teammates to make runs while he's coming down with the ball), the deft flicks, his very underrated passing, and just general smarts... he makes such a difference.

Yeah, Jozy is super important.

ag futbol
05-26-2019, 07:23 PM
This ref needs to go to his book more often. Way to many easy fouls by SJ to stop the play

James17930
05-26-2019, 07:28 PM
Yeah, Jozy is super important.

It also seems like they are making a conscious effort to move the ball faster, make plays faster, more quick passing instead of durdling around all the time.

stegosaurus
05-26-2019, 07:38 PM
It also seems like they are making a conscious effort to move the ball faster, make plays faster, more quick passing instead of durdling around all the time.

When they’re not trying to play possession football with this personnel and instead just fighting for it everyone looks better.

In Vanney’s ideal system, we have too many weak links who aren’t suited to that play style and it amplifies mistakes and allows for bigger capitalization from a single mistake.

There have been mistakes but overall there’s been a willingness to play a different way to accommodate who is on the pitch so that’s a positive for me.

portu
05-26-2019, 07:49 PM
Is Layrea our most dangerous man on the dribble? Hard to think of someone better

stegosaurus
05-26-2019, 08:00 PM
Is Layrea our most dangerous man on the dribble? Hard to think of someone better

He’s looked very impressive.

portu
05-26-2019, 08:01 PM
Boyd on to do Jozy's dirty work so that he can get free and make an impact I think

stegosaurus
05-26-2019, 08:02 PM
Boyd on to do Jozy's dirty work so that he can get free and make an impact I think

His chance to impress too.

ag futbol
05-26-2019, 08:07 PM
This ref is clueless. How many times have SJ picked up the ball or stood in front of it after a restart? Stupid

stegosaurus
05-26-2019, 08:08 PM
This ref is clueless. How many times have SJ picked up the ball or stood in front of it after a restart? Stupid

Yep. This ref is awful. Completely lost it.

portu
05-26-2019, 08:10 PM
Auro. Injured. Are we cursed?

Mikmacdo
05-26-2019, 08:16 PM
Is this the ref from the first philly game? Hes awful.

stegosaurus
05-26-2019, 08:20 PM
The SJ commentators are jerking themselves off over Boyd. “So big, so tall, such an athlete!”

ag futbol
05-26-2019, 08:20 PM
The SJ commentators are jerking themselves off over Boyd. “So big, so tall, such an athlete!”
Ya he’d be great at chopping wood. Soccer? Not so much...

benito
05-26-2019, 08:21 PM
Terrible defending. Mavinga and Moor both caught sleeping.

Mikmacdo
This team is a joke.

stegosaurus
At least we could all be part of this historic moment together.

Fort York Redcoat
Sigh. 150.

Now I just don't want him to retire until he scores again somewhere else.

I'm officially over his achievement for the league.

Kamara won't be catching Moreno this season.

Maybe BWP can score 2 this season to pass Kreis.

All time distraction from this result.

daner90
05-26-2019, 08:22 PM
Ugggggggh

notthesun
05-26-2019, 08:22 PM
Awful marking, awful 1-on-1 defending by Morgan. He's standing 5 feet from his man and playing him straight up... you favor his right foot HARD in that situation because the cut to the byline is the dangerous play. Just lets him cross it.

gracos
05-26-2019, 08:23 PM
Ali Curtis still showing hes incompetent at running a team, TFC lost the game plan when we let Bezbatchenko go, along with Giovinco, i am really frustrated with our team this year, 2/15 and 1/15 if the scoreline holds out of the previous 5 games, is fail in a test and should be a fail of our past 5 games

ag futbol
05-26-2019, 08:23 PM
Terrible defending. Mavinga and Moor both caught sleeping.
Doesn’t help when Morgan is barely a defensive presence out there. If you give a good wide player enough time it’s tough for the CB’s to cover all the runs

stevep
05-26-2019, 08:24 PM
so glad i sold my tickets to this game,

kind of feel sorry for the anonymous stranger that bought them from me

DeRo2015
05-26-2019, 08:26 PM
Wondo left completely unmarked in the box. Horrendous defending. Looking at another non result. **sigh**

ag futbol
And again, they stand in front of the ball.. multiple times, no card

Grandia
Almeyda masterclass again against us, no surprise lol

stegosaurus
05-26-2019, 08:33 PM
Can they not just play anyone else instead of Boyd?

stevep
05-26-2019, 08:33 PM
first road win for san jose since last august.

Vanney aren't you embarrassed??

so embarrassing,
boyd is useless, hes a waste of space

I dont think i'll be as lucky for the KC game and sell my tickets, who in their right mind would buy tickets to this crap

benito
05-26-2019, 08:34 PM
That was shit.

portu
05-26-2019, 08:35 PM
How do you spell joke?

T-F-C

gracos
05-26-2019, 08:35 PM
when do we decide to call the season a writeoff, and blow up the team, its just not good enough

stegosaurus
05-26-2019, 08:36 PM
How do you spell joke?

T-F-C

They completely ran out of steam.

What a strange, disappointing match.

gracos
05-26-2019, 08:37 PM
1/15 equals just a measly 6.66% of possible pts in the previous 5 games, if you were to go to school and have to pass a test that would be called a fail, and right now TFC is failing to meet expectations

stegosaurus
05-26-2019, 08:39 PM
Vanney got outcoached today — badly.

romburgundy
05-26-2019, 08:42 PM
Vanney gets outcouched every week!

gracos
05-26-2019, 08:43 PM
#VanneyOut #AliOut #TFCRestructure #Allforone

noimpactinmtl
05-26-2019, 08:48 PM
Can they not just play anyone else instead of Boyd?

Checks bench

Bono
Zavaleta
Ciman
Boyd
Hamilton
Dorsey
Chapman

Other than Dorsey, I’m not sure who else can be called on.

Mikmacdo
05-26-2019, 08:50 PM
Vanney has to go, last season was bad enough and now this shit?

Laryea looked good but Vanney was playing him in the wrong position all season clearly. Deleon at forward is a joke too the guy gets the ball and cant make a decision or finish.

I liked what I saw from Fraser but his set pieces were pretty bad.

ag futbol
05-26-2019, 08:52 PM
Arrg, there are so many individual things I find wrong with this game. Rather rant on all of it let me say this: Laryea and Fraser can be useful players to this team but that will never happen if 1) they get no opportunity to play 2) Vanney continues to pigeon hole players into his system rather than looking at individual player attributes. Why did it take a 5-alarm fire in terms of roster shortages for Laryea to actually get a shot at RW? Why do we justify not giving minutes to younger players who could actually get better and instead play established players with no upside with some strange belief they will round into form? (aka Zavaleta and Boyd)

Oldtimer
05-26-2019, 08:56 PM

Vanney gets outcouched every week!

Actually I thought Vanney changing up the play and the formation was right on. The Quakes playing tackle football is hardly a clever strategy.

You can't make up for defenders who fall for the same trick twice.

Is it the coaching of those defenders or is it their quality? Not sure.

OgtheDim
05-26-2019, 08:57 PM
Story of the year

Offence doesn't trust itself

Defence can't concentrate

We had our chances but didn't take them.

The kids were alright. Fraser looked class in the Bradley role. Laryea was decent when not having to play defence.

When I saw the lineup, I knew we were not favourites. SJE is the sort of team right now who would give LAFC fits. Without 3 of our 4 best players, we were always in tough.

I'm at the point with our defence that if we don't score 3, I know we lose.

ag futbol
05-26-2019, 08:58 PM
I liked what I saw from Fraser but his set pieces were pretty bad.
I don't think he takes those in a game where we have a full roster. His clipped ball into the 18 in the first half was excellent thought (the rest, not).

He seems to have decent technique. I think a lot of it is just game rust / nerves. There were a few plays where he drove forward in the pocket and was in a great position to attack or create a chance. Earlier in the game he seemed to freeze up and make bad passes, but as time went on he got better in those situations.

Our midfield looks a lot better with multiple pivots and not just trying to play through Bradley all the time. Marky had his best game in ages (notwithstanding another damn missed header).

OgtheDim
05-26-2019, 09:08 PM
And again, they stand in front of the ball.. multiple times, no card

A very Concacaf game. MLS either starts to crack down on this or we just get used to being a dark arts league.

General Woolfe
05-26-2019, 09:21 PM
More absolute bullshit from a team that’s clearly lost its way. The rot might have started before Curtis took over from Bez,but he’s certainly did nothing to stop it, let alone reverse it. This goes back to Manning dicking about Giovinco for a season starting with the win in 2017. He clearly had no intention of renewing the contract of the best player to don the red shirt. Also letting Betashour Hassler and Hagglund all walk away for free, it was clear downsizing was the strategy. Curtis clearly put too much hope in his “Belgian maestro” and ignored rest of the side, clueless to the fact that all he was doing was replace Vazquez, and ignoring the hole Seba’s departure would leave in the side, not to mention the balance Betashour and Morrow brought that made 3-5-2 a viable strategy.

Vanney also seems to have run his course. Yes he had inspirational moments in 2017, but he’s looked completely bereft of ideas since then. Why he gives Delgado a shirt week in week out when his form clearly doesn’t deserve it is beyond me. Why persist with 3-5-2 when you no longer have the players to make it work, equally as baffling?

Theres really no point in going on. The Raptors are MLSE’s blue eyed Boys this season, and TFC are back to the standards of 2014. Except we’re paying a helluva lot more for this mediocrity than we did back then.

Time for a complete rebuild from top to bottom and allow a new GM and manager 6 months to put together a team capable of a fresh run at the MLS Cup in 2020. However, I doubt MLSE care enough to bother. We had our moment in the sun in 2017. Can’t we just be grateful for that. Don’t be so greedy, MLSE have other franchises to manage. Just buy your season ticket and be grateful your watching the big leagues, after all they have the Argos to think about too, we do share our stadium with them don’t you know...

Oldtimer
05-26-2019, 09:36 PM
Molinaro says it's too early to push the panic button. I guess he's not reading here. Panic button is firmly pressed, lol.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/toronto-fc-trending-wrong-direction-loss-san-jose/

He thinks a few reinforcements will turn it around.

Kayaker
05-26-2019, 09:49 PM
Molinaro says it's too early to push the panic button. I guess he's not reading here. Panic button is firmly pressed, lol.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/toronto-fc-trending-wrong-direction-loss-san-jose/

He thinks a few reinforcements will turn it around.

Yeah, I don't think that people understand what the playoff changes really mean. At this point, we cannot get top of the east. With the overwhelming home field advantage, you need to be top 3 to go deep in the playoffs. At this point, we're struggling to be 7th or 6th with a one game and done playoffs. July will be too late. We've dropped too many points that should have been ours.

OgtheDim
05-26-2019, 09:54 PM
Winning the whole thing in the playoffs is less of a concern to me than making them in the first place.

I also am not sure we can beat VCWC or the impact in the Voyageurs, even with home advantage.

Need to fix that defense and figure out how to get more than 1 goal.

SoccMan2
05-26-2019, 10:03 PM
Winning the whole thing in the playoffs is less of a concern to me than making them in the first place.

I also am not sure we can beat VCWC or the impact in the Voyageurs, even with home advantage.

Need to fix that defense and figure out how to get more than 1 goal.
I’m not worried about Vancouver or the Impact this embarrassment of a team will not get past a CPL team the way they are playing if they play one in the Voyageurs Cup. Two good years after those disaster of seasons before 2015 now it looks like they are back to being an embarrassment again!

jazzy
05-26-2019, 10:14 PM
Arrg, there are so many individual things I find wrong with this game. Rather rant on all of it let me say this: Laryea and Fraser can be useful players to this team but that will never happen if 1) they get no opportunity to play 2) Vanney continues to pigeon hole players into his system rather than looking at individual player attributes. Why did it take a 5-alarm fire in terms of roster shortages for Laryea to actually get a shot at RW? Why do we justify not giving minutes to younger players who could actually get better and instead play established players with no upside with some strange belief they will round into form? (aka Zavaleta and Boyd)

Good points , How many starts does Delgado get missing so many sure chances . He’d never start anywhere else with so many almosts . Given the chances we have to score , RE: Wanda . Teams love us , we simply pass all around the perimeter and then cough it up . I liked Laryea on his first start and thought here’s our winger and he has spunk . But I knew right away Vanney would ignore him , he’s not a machine which is all Vanney wants . Anyone who thinks this is entertains should pay for my tickets . We can’t even be exciting in our losses . Would love a coach with a heart instead of a robot . I’d love him to find his perfect robots and be successful somewhere else . And take glad boys Curtis and Manning with him . So hard to build the good will but so easy to tear it down .

jazzy
05-26-2019, 10:22 PM
More absolute bullshit from a team that’s clearly lost its way. The rot might have started before Curtis took over from Bez,but he’s certainly did nothing to stop it, let alone reverse it. This goes back to Manning dicking about Giovinco for a season starting with the win in 2017. He clearly had no intention of renewing the contract of the best player to don the red shirt. Also letting Betashour Hassler and Hagglund all walk away for free, it was clear downsizing was the strategy. Curtis clearly put too much hope in his “Belgian maestro” and ignored rest of the side, clueless to the fact that all he was doing was replace Vazquez, and ignoring the hole Seba’s departure would leave in the side, not to mention the balance Betashour and Morrow brought that made 3-5-2 a viable strategy.

Vanney also seems to have run his course. Yes he had inspirational moments in 2017, but he’s looked completely bereft of ideas since then. Why he gives Delgado a shirt week in week out when his form clearly doesn’t deserve it is beyond me. Why persist with 3-5-2 when you no longer have the players to make it work, equally as baffling?

Theres really no point in going on. The Raptors are MLSE’s blue eyed Boys this season, and TFC are back to the standards of 2014. Except we’re paying a helluva lot more for this mediocrity than we did back then.

Time for a complete rebuild from top to bottom and allow a new GM and manager 6 months to put together a team capable of a fresh run at the MLS Cup in 2020. However, I doubt MLSE care enough to bother. We had our moment in the sun in 2017. Can’t we just be grateful for that. Don’t be so greedy, MLSE have other franchises to manage. Just buy your season ticket and be grateful your watching the big leagues, after all they have the Argos to think about too, we do share our stadium with them don’t you know...

Yup, ....don’t forget the over priced game day food and drink , while other teams seem to care about their fans experience . I think these dorks are waiting for the World Cup profits to pay for any improvements. Truly desperate unentertaining football from a coach who is clearly only thinking of his future after TFC .

Auzzy
05-26-2019, 10:24 PM
Wow for me that was by far the most frustrating game in a long time.

Why the bloody fuck does Vanney take Morrow off, and let Morgan continue as LB, when Morgan already fell asleep during the buildup to the first goal, & then let himself get nutmegged? 2nd goal against was also from that side. Morrow should have slid back to LB and Morgan gone off.

We had our two 1st-choice defenders today, but they let in two goals on very few serious chances for San Jose. On the first goal, you can see that Moor's positioning and organisation is not always enough anymore. A striker like Wondo can easily beat him. Defending by both of them on the 2nd goal was just comical.

Liam Fraser looked better earlier in the season. (Or was that pre-season?) Had some great long-range passing then. Today not so much. Probably a bit of a deer in the headlights, having to play a major role w/o Bradley. That one freekick was amazing & should have been converted.

Yeah Laryea looked decent on the wing. That means that Vanney will likely never play him there again; Vanney still waiting for that magical unicorn winger to be signed.

TFC had stretches of good buildup; partly because San Jose isn't a great team in most areas of the field. But TFC can't finish; most of the time they were still afraid to shoot. And Jozy had a pretty weak game.

Vanney starts DeLeon as a nominal forward; leaves two forwards on the bench. Jozy gets isolated & abused for most of the game. By the end Vanney is frantically trying to salvage something, and he plays with 3 forwards. Why not just start with two strikers Greg?

Ref was a fucking idiot, I don't know where to start with that.

I continue going to go to games even when I really don't have time. But today felt like a punishment.

backbeat
05-26-2019, 10:40 PM
Seeing Seba on the video board at BMO this evening, giving him a standing ovation and singing, 'Sebastian Giovinco' was the best part of the evening...

Red CB Toronto
05-26-2019, 11:08 PM
Simple question, how the heck do you not mark the MLS's all time leading scorer?

Auzzy
05-26-2019, 11:37 PM
Simple question, how the heck do you not mark the MLS's all time leading scorer?

I know right?

The first goal showed that Wondo is hard to mark.

On the 2nd goal, it was astounding how open they left him.

reggie
05-26-2019, 11:39 PM
never mind a winger..the whole back 4 have to go,embarrassing school boy futbol.

Blindside16
05-27-2019, 12:40 AM
#VanneyOut #AliOut #TFCRestructure #Allforone

Your forgot #ManningOut

Canary10
05-27-2019, 08:21 AM
We look like a sack of shit. That's just my observation.

OgtheDim
05-27-2019, 08:26 AM
Uh, sack of shit was Chicago the week before.

Seriously, watch the rest of the league - our defence isn't good enough (consistently switches off 3-4 times per game) but our offence moves the ball around far better then most teams not named LAFC.

ag futbol
05-27-2019, 08:31 AM

Seriously, watch the rest of the league - our defence isn't good enough (consistently switches off 3-4 times per game) but our offence moves the ball around far better then most teams not named LAFC.
Moves the ball around has has zero end product. It’s like a late-years, low budget, Arsene Wenger team.

Canary10
05-27-2019, 08:33 AM
Moves the ball around has has zero end product. It’s like a late-years, low budget, Arsene Wenger team.

Minus Granit Xhaka.

Prof
05-27-2019, 08:41 AM
Was at the game last night and what looked like an obvious penalty to me (sitting in direct line to the foul) on Laryea in the first few minutes was not called and not reviewed by VAR? What did they say and show on TV?

Kamp Berg
05-27-2019, 08:47 AM
Was at the game last night and what looked like an obvious penalty to me (sitting in direct line to the foul) on Laryea in the first few minutes was not called and not reviewed by VAR? What did they say and show on TV?

Just Caldwell defending the refs call 🤦🏼

A Stick
05-27-2019, 09:00 AM
Was at the game last night and what looked like an obvious penalty to me (sitting in direct line to the foul) on Laryea in the first few minutes was not called and not reviewed by VAR? What did they say and show on TV? I sit in 119 and Laryea was chopped big time. How the ref, the linesman who was right there and VAR did not spot this 24/7 penalty was beyond belief!

OgtheDim
05-27-2019, 09:31 AM
I sit in 119 and Laryea was chopped big time. How the ref, the linesman who was right there and VAR did not spot this 24/7 penalty was beyond belief!

It was interesting as nobody on the team complained about it at the time & the ref went up to him like he had dove & was lucky to not get a yellow.

DeRo2015
05-27-2019, 09:34 AM
Serious question: what was it that our FO saw in Terrence Boyd that ended up with him being signed?

shwade
05-27-2019, 09:36 AM
Serious question: what was it that our FO saw in Terrence Boyd that ended up with him being signed?

US passport. That's all it takes for this FO.

pfk
05-27-2019, 09:38 AM
It was interesting as nobody on the team complained about it at the time & the ref went up to him like he had dove & was lucky to not get a yellow.

It was right in front of us in 116. Laryea looked like he was chopped down in the box.

As an aside, Laryea seemed to be one of the few bright spots of the team last night.

MightyDM
05-27-2019, 09:48 AM

I dunno. I have the impression that our ball movement looks better than it is effective because other teams just pack the middle and let us pass it around.

We are never that threatening.

PizzaEatingYeti
05-27-2019, 09:55 AM
I'm waiting for those posters, who after any shit TFC performance are coming out and are talking about "positives".
I don't try to pick on nobody (honestly!), but IMO on these boards there are about 33% of these people, who in my opinion have those "tremendously pink tinted glasses" on all the time.

I know you will talk about how good way Laryea, and that Fraser was OK, and probably this scoreline is what we should have expected without Poz, Michael and Oso.

So far this season the management is underperforming, the coaching staff is underperforming and the players are underperfoming. All at various levels, but anyways all of them are in "simply underperforming to grossly underperforming" category, save some very rare examples, like Poz.

If this week we wont get at least 1 point in Vancouver IMO the fuck@ing sky is faling...
Even if this whole MLS is set up in a way to clearly favor mediocrity (see how many teams are qualifying for the playoffs), besides having no relegation (which of course will never happen, because US + Canada major soccer is on a different planet compared with the rest of the World).

In these conditions, if our team's performance won't improve radically until the playoffs, instead to somehow enter the playoffs on the back door, and then exit after the first round, I would much prefer to miss the playoffs by a large margin of points. Because only then I think we will see some major movements on the management and/or coaching team level.

Saying all this as a TFC fan from the moment since the franchise was announced in 2006...

:scarf:

PS: #ManagementOut, #VanneyOut, #MajorPlayerPersonnelOverhaul
(any of these 2 combined, otherwise we won't get anywhere....)

OgtheDim
05-27-2019, 10:03 AM

He put himself about yesterday and was an annoying bother / target man. Touch of lead though.

ag futbol
05-27-2019, 10:05 AM
I sit in 119 and Laryea was chopped big time. How the ref, the linesman who was right there and VAR did not spot this 24/7 penalty was beyond belief!
I thought it was a penalty. The SJ defender got fully none of the ball and Laryea had blown right past him. TSN’s replays are awful but it looked like the defender hit his foot and he went over. Contact is slight, but if you are running at full speed and I hit your leg, it doesn’t take much to fall over.

The amount of mental gymnastics the officials do in this league not to call things is awe inspiring at times.

This ref was supremely confident in himself and entirely terrible.

Ultra & Proud
05-27-2019, 10:11 AM
I dunno. I have the impression that our ball movement looks better than it is effective because other teams just pack the middle and let us pass it around.

We are never that threatening.

This is it. Yesterday was a bit better because Bradley & Osorio were out so we did a few different things. We only had Delgado to slow down the forward movement and even he was better during the first half. Then he returned to his usual.

Stick with what I said earlier; we totally need some addition by subtraction.

Red4ever
05-27-2019, 10:43 AM
Boyd has to go
Delgado has to go.

I can take losing, I can't take losing with proven losers.

Oldtimer
05-27-2019, 11:25 AM
I'm waiting for those posters, who after any shit TFC performance are coming out and are talking about "positives".
I don't try to pick on nobody (honestly!), but IMO on these boards there are about 33% of these people, who in my opinion have those "tremendously pink tinted glasses" on all the time.

There's an even larger number of people who ONLY post after a poor performance to complain (not saying you do that or mentioning someone in particular). They completely disappeared during the 2017 MLS Cup run. Never posted "I'm happy the team won the triple." Stayed away during the 2018 CONCACAF run. Then came back with a vengeance when the regular season tanked last year. I honestly don't get the appeal.

Then there's people who like to analyze both the positive and the negative. Those are the people who make a discussion particularly enjoyable.

Canary10
05-27-2019, 11:28 AM
We really need a second goal scorer. Someone who can play on the wing or centrally when needed.

jabbronies
05-27-2019, 11:43 AM

His goal scoring record. It's actually not bad.

I don't like Boyd right now. On paper, this guy should be scoring...I would say more but at this point he should at least have 1 fucking goal!

jabbronies
05-27-2019, 11:47 AM

There is a positive in all this - they control the ball well offensively right up until the 18 yard box. After that, they can't do shit.
But they do look god up until that point.

This has the same feel of the 2015 and early 2016 TFC teams. They are missing that final thread moving forward.

As for D - we all know they need another Drew. Just like those 15/16 teams - they are not far off. 2-3 players to become dominant again IMO.

OgtheDim
05-27-2019, 11:57 AM
People blaming Westberg on the second goal but looking at it its a bang bang move. Moor calls out Fraser to move to Wondo but Fraser doesn't move. Methinks Bradley goes there. Our defence seems to be set up as the near post area is covered and behind that its man to man. Moor gets caught between 2 players both times allowing Wondo to be open.

https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2019-05-26-toronto-fc-vs-san-jose-earthquakes/details/video/195667

burlington Red
05-27-2019, 12:10 PM
Boyd has to go
Delgado has to go.

I can take losing, I can't take losing with proven losers.

Delgado actually played well,granted he should have buried his chance late on, but he is the least of our worries right now.

Red4ever
05-27-2019, 12:29 PM
Delgado actually played well,granted he should have buried his chance late on, but he is the least of our worries right now.

He played well for 30 minutes and disappeared. And, to your point, he cost us a point.

He is the personification of our problems right now.

DFloorDanny
05-27-2019, 12:32 PM
People blaming Westberg on the second goal but looking at it its a bang bang move. Moor calls out Fraser to move to Wondo but Fraser doesn't move. Methinks Bradley goes there. Our defence seems to be set up as the near post area is covered and behind that its man to man. Moor gets caught between 2 players both times allowing Wondo to be open.

https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2019-05-26-toronto-fc-vs-san-jose-earthquakes/details/video/195667

From my seat in 110 I could see quite clearly that Wondo was left wide open. For him not to score from that close and in space would have been tragic. From that range, any keeper has little chance to change the outcome of the shot.

reggie
05-27-2019, 12:37 PM
vanney didnt mince words on his post game presser.called it bs defending and talked about a need for a winger again he also said that they need help in the back,please no more auro at right back or morgan at left back.

stegosaurus
05-27-2019, 12:42 PM
His goal scoring record. It's actually not bad.

I don't like Boyd right now. On paper, this guy should be scoring...I would say more but at this point he should at least have 1 fucking goal!

He hasn’t scored in ages.

He came off an injury and never performed again, and when he was scoring it was in sub-second division Germany and on a good Austrian team against really poor competition.

He was supposed to be a decent USMNT striker who never ended up being one — that’s it.

Ultra & Proud
05-27-2019, 12:44 PM
He played well for 30 minutes and disappeared. And, to your point, he cost us a point.

I'd say 45 minutes but he is one of the main issues we have right now.

jabbronies
05-27-2019, 12:50 PM
He hasn’t scored in ages.

He came off an injury and never performed again, and when he was scoring it was in sub-second division Germany and on a good Austrian team against really poor competition.

He was supposed to be a decent USMNT striker who never ended up being one — that’s it.

Ya I feel like they took a chance on him in hopes coming here would rejuvenate something in him. He'll stay until the end of the year, but if he doesn't shape up, he'll be gone. There's no way he gets moved in the next window. That next window isn't / shouldn't be about strengthening depth. It should be about strengthening the starting 11.

burlington Red
05-27-2019, 12:57 PM

2 central defenders not man marking a lethal mls striker cost us a point.

Section_105
05-27-2019, 01:18 PM
I"m a huge fan of Ashtone but is he not marking the winger closely enough on both of those goals? He's back off about 5 yards before both crosses are whipped in and to me I don't understand how he didn't get right on the man to be able to close down the cross before it even gets off. Defenders do it to him all the time and turn his crosses into corner kicks.

OgtheDim
05-27-2019, 01:36 PM

Yup

If you look at the video posted above about the second goal, Moor gestures at the DM (Fraser) to cover Wondo because there is a back post threat - Fraser doesn't move.

First goal Moor got caught covering the near post that Mavinga had covered - didn't take the man when Wondo took a step back (which is a standard Wondo move).

On both goals, the cross coming in really should not have gotten there.

I'm beginning to wonder if Mavinga's reliance on his athleticism is getting in the way of our ability to cover attackers properly - I'd have to look at the other goals we've given up this season but there is something fudamentally off about all this & its possibly down to all 3 of mentality, quality & system.

I might do a deep dive into all our goals against this season & see what if anything can be gleaned from all that.

burlington Red
05-27-2019, 02:06 PM
Yup

If you look at the video posted above about the second goal, Moor gestures at the DM (Fraser) to cover Wondo because there is a back post threat - Fraser doesn't move.

First goal Moor got caught covering the near post that Mavinga had covered - didn't take the man when Wondo took a step back (which is a standard Wondo move).

On both goals, the cross coming in really should not have gotten there.

I'm beginning to wonder if Mavinga's reliance on his athleticism is getting in the way of our ability to cover attackers properly - I'd have to look at the other goals we've given up this season but there is something fudamentally off about all this & its possibly down to all 3 of mentality, quality & system.

I might do a deep dive into all our goals against this season & see what if anything can be gleaned from all that.

When marking a known goal threat like Wondo, one of the central defenders has to get touch tight. Mavinga was marking the space and not the man. A mid shouldn't be responsible for marking their top marksman from a cross in our own box. In hindsight he could have done better, but Mavinga needs to be on him. Mavinga has always had issues with his positioning, the fact his major strength is last ditch tackles testifies to that. That's why he usually looks better with Moor as he tends to organise the backline. Wondo is a goal mouth predator, doesn't do a ton else outside the box, the fact he had that much room after he'd already scored is criminal.

andre99
05-27-2019, 02:08 PM
Anyone know why Jozy was so angry after the first goal?

backbeat
05-27-2019, 02:14 PM
Anyone know why Jozy was so angry after the first goal?

he was angry before the first goal - the goal happened while he was angry - he was happy about the goal but he was frustrated because balls weren't being passed into the lane on his runs on either side - at least that's how i read it.

Red4ever
05-27-2019, 02:50 PM

Good point.

Let's keep playing a guy that can't score tap ins because the defense is bad.

pfk
05-27-2019, 02:50 PM
Yup

You'll need a long night and a bottle of something strong to numb the sadness by watching all the goals against us. Good luck!

C.Ronaldo
05-27-2019, 03:53 PM
he was angry before the first goal - the goal happened while he was angry - he was happy about the goal but he was frustrated because balls weren't being passed into the lane on his runs on either side - at least that's how i read it.

someone needs to be getting angry out there

MightyDM
05-27-2019, 04:14 PM

Og, props for even having this idea. And total props if you actually do it.

Blindside16
05-28-2019, 04:42 AM

I took the liberty of doing it for you as I had some free time. Here are my takes with links to the ones that really drove me nuts. EDIT: I linked all the goals so that it is easier to view and discuss

1) March 2 vs Philly - Penalty off a Osorio handball
https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2019-03-02-philadelphia-union-vs-toronto-fc/details/video/182853

2) March 17 vs New England - Brutal tackle by Mavinga for a Penalty
https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2019-03-17-toronto-fc-vs-new-england-revolution/details/video/185182

3) March 17 vs New England - Auro is too slow tracking and reacting to the cross and bot Moor and Bono whiff at stopping the shot
https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2019-03-17-toronto-fc-vs-new-england-revolution/details/video/185236

4) April 6 Vs Chicago - Moor gives away the ball at midfield, the long ball is played and Mavinga is not fast enough to beat Sapong, Sapong with a great touch and Bono is miles out of position
https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2019-04-06-toronto-fc-vs-chicago-fire/details/video/187416

5) April 6 vs Chicago - Laryea gives away the ball cheaply at midfield, both Mavinga and Bradley don't track Nikolic. Mavinga doesn't even look to see if there is a man near him.
https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2019-04-06-toronto-fc-vs-chicago-fire/details/video/187433

6) April 13 vs Seattle - Bad deflection, bot Ciman and Mavinga give up on the ball leaving Bruin with an open header
https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2019-04-13-seattle-sounders-fc-vs-toronto-fc/details/video/188368

7) April 13 vs Seattle - Chapman gets caught ball watching, Ciman can't block the cross and there is an easy tap in for Bruin. 2 Seattle players are in behind our backline
https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2019-04-13-seattle-sounders-fc-vs-toronto-fc/details/video/188392

8) April 13 vs Seattle - Mavinga and Ciman get caught covering the same man. Morrow, Bradley and Mavinga are all standing still as the ball is played through.
https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2019-04-13-seattle-sounders-fc-vs-toronto-fc/details/video/188402

9) April 19 vs Minnesota - Laryea loses the foot race and has to stop as Bono is way off his line when he shouldn't be, ball goes over Bono's head leaving Quintaro with an open tap in
https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2019-04-19-toronto-fc-vs-minnesota-united-fc/details/video/189410

10) April 19 vs Minnesota - Mavinga with a bad tackle causing a penalty
https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2019-04-19-toronto-fc-vs-minnesota-united-fc/details/video/189454

11) April 19 vs Minnesota - Routine cross, Ciman loses a 50/50 header, may have been pushed
https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2019-04-19-toronto-fc-vs-minnesota-united-fc/details/video/189450

12) April 27 vs Portland - Corner kick leading to a beautiful volley goal. Auro could have cleared the ball but stood there watching and waiting for the ball to come to him
https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2019-04-27-toronto-fc-vs-portland-timbers/details/video/190702

13) April 27 vs Portland - Typical cross into the box, Mavinga completely lost his man and tried to make up for it with a ridiculous block/clearing attempt.
https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2019-04-27-toronto-fc-vs-portland-timbers/details/video/190732

14) May 8 vs Atlanta - Bono saves free kick, everyone is too slow to respond and Zavaleta decides to hug Villalba rather than take away any passing lane.
https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2019-05-08-atlanta-united-fc-vs-toronto-fc/details/video/192554

15) May 8 vs Atlanta - Morrow cheats to double team Martinez leaving Gressel wide open just outisde the box. The shot takes a deflection off Morrow into the net.
https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2019-05-08-atlanta-united-fc-vs-toronto-fc/details/video/192591

16) May 11 vs Philly - Auro is too slow to come back, neither Delgado or Zavaleta cover him or close in on the man fast enough. Then all 3 give up on running back. The cross comes in and goes off Mavinga for an OG
https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2019-05-11-toronto-fc-vs-philadelphia-union/details/video/193002

17) May 11 vs Philly - Zavaleta has a chance to cut off the pass or at least stifle the man, instead he re-treats 10 yards and then doesn't take him off the give n go
https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2019-05-11-toronto-fc-vs-philadelphia-union/details/video/193058

18) May 18 vs RSL - Hamilton and Morgan are sleeping on the throw in, the cross gets played and both Zavaleta and Auro make a half hearted attempt at the ball and on the ensuing tackle
https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2019-05-18-real-salt-lake-vs-toronto-fc/details/video/194051

19) May 18 vs RSL - Auro and Delgado both give up on the man allowing him to walk through the midfield
https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2019-05-18-real-salt-lake-vs-toronto-fc/details/video/194060

20) May 18 vs RSL - Auro gives the ball away too easily, Morrow falls down and Moor is practically walking back to defend.
https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2019-05-18-real-salt-lake-vs-toronto-fc/details/video/194088

21) May 26 vs SJ - Moor completely loses Wondo in front of goal
https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2019-05-26-toronto-fc-vs-san-jose-earthquakes/details/video/195630

22) May 26 vs SJ - Moor tells Frasier to take Wondo and instead Frasier gets the best view in the house of #150.
Those are just my takes on them for what it is worth. What is disturbing to me is the total lack of fight by our backline. We have simply given up on plays way to many times and it is costing us. Now if you'll excuse me I need a drink after re-watching those.

Derko
05-28-2019, 06:02 AM
^ Thank-you for this, One thing I might add about our forwards and scoring, taking shots, which is my opinion only, shouldn't a forward player always be anticipating or expecting balls getting into the box,
our forwards always seem to be surprised that a ball makes into the box and have that moment of hesitation or indecision as if they are surprised the ball made it through and don't know what to do.
Is it a football sense thing or cultural thing? I don't know, perhaps someone can explain it. I feel most of our players are missing something mentally, in a football sense.

burlington Red
05-28-2019, 06:38 AM
Good point.

Let's keep playing a guy that can't score tap ins because the defense is bad.

haha tap in, yeah right. You don't like the player, fair enough, he like many others hasn't been great of late, but this wasn't the game to criticise or single him out in. He set up the fist goal with an excellent pass. He made a great run for that attempt he didn't score on, and that wasn't an easy finish btw, he should at least be hitting the target and make their keeper work. But maybe give him kudos for having the smarts and conviction to make that run. Set up one around the 28th min and nearly grab an excellent team goal equalizer late on, think he did okay.

ag futbol
05-28-2019, 07:19 AM
I"m a huge fan of Ashtone but is he not marking the winger closely enough on both of those goals? He's back off about 5 yards before both crosses are whipped in and to me I don't understand how he didn't get right on the man to be able to close down the cross before it even gets off. Defenders do it to him all the time and turn his crosses into corner kicks.
Especially the first one but true on both.

Lot of focus on the CB’s here but if you’re fullback can’t do anything to disrupt the attacking player it makes the job centrally that much more difficult.

I think we’re at the point where a new LB (at least for depth) is called for. Neither Morgan or Morrow offer much on the attacking side of the ball. Morgan all-around these days is really just squad depth / someone to push other guys in training. It would be better to have a second more potent option.

Canary10
05-28-2019, 09:23 AM
Especially the first one but true on both.

Lot of focus on the CB’s here but if you’re fullback can’t do anything to disrupt the attacking player it makes the job centrally that much more difficult.

I think we’re at the point where a new LB (at least for depth) is called for. Neither Morgan or Morrow offer much on the attacking side of the ball. Morgan all-around these days is really just squad depth / someone to push other guys in training. It would be better to have a second more potent option.

Not sure I agree with this regarding Morrow. I sit at the edge of the box on the east side, and get to watch him up close. He still has the ability to beat a defender or two and put in a good cross and does it most games. He's dangerous when he gets to the bi-line. He's somehow not getting the same output as the championship year. But no one is at the moment. I don't think that's an area we need to focus on. I'm still not sure about Auro on the other hand.

ag futbol
05-28-2019, 10:20 AM
Not sure I agree with this regarding Morrow. I sit at the edge of the box on the east side, and get to watch him up close. He still has the ability to beat a defender or two and put in a good cross and does it most games. He's dangerous when he gets to the bi-line. He's somehow not getting the same output as the championship year. But no one is at the moment. I don't think that's an area we need to focus on. I'm still not sure about Auro on the other hand.
I think what you’re describing might be enough in a 3-5-2 or against a team that plays very narrow.

IMO with the change in the salary structure in recent years you are starting to see some better attacking options at fullback and Morrow stands out (to me at least) as not being great. He moves the ball too slowly ( a one touch pass or a quick 1-2 is unheard of). I notice his teammates remonstrating with him about his attacking play pretty consistently.

Edwards could cut balls back, look to shoot, attack the end line. Morrow does maybe one of those things well. And when he gets to that end line we all know there the next ball is going.

Now of course we know Edwards is not even half the defender Morrow is, but someone in that mould might be a good attacking option late in games when we are pressing.

Edit: Looking at the heat maps so far this year, the team has a tendency to attack down the right or through the middle. I think that sort of builds on the case.

Canary10
05-28-2019, 10:46 AM
I think what you’re describing might be enough in a 3-5-2 or against a team that plays very narrow.

IMO with the change in the salary structure in recent years you are starting to see some better attacking options at fullback and Morrow stands out (to me at least) as not being great. He moves the ball too slowly ( a one touch pass or a quick 1-2 is unheard of). I notice his teammates remonstrating with him about his attacking play pretty consistently.

Edwards could cut balls back, look to shoot, attack the end line. Morrow does maybe one of those things well. And when he gets to that end line we all know there the next ball is going.

Now of course we know Edwards is not even half the defender Morrow is, but someone in that mould might be a good attacking option late in games when we are pressing.

Edit: Looking at the heat maps so far this year, the team has a tendency to attack down the right or through the middle. I think that sort of builds on the case.

He scored 8 goals in 2017. He has always been an attacking fullback.