PDA

View Full Version : 2019 Canadian Championship - the other teams thread

Oldtimer
05-13-2019, 10:33 AM
The Canadian Championship kicks off May 15 (which is also the same day as TFC plays in MLS). Now with 13 clubs!
TFC has a bye until the semi-final (August 7).

The action starts with:
Vaughan Azzuri (League 1 Ontario) v HFX Wanderers (CPL)
Pacific FC (CPL) v Cavalry FC (CPL)
A.S. Blainville (PLQ) v York 9 (CPL)

First leg May 15, second leg May 22.

My vote for a possible upset is Blainville over York 9.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/60/Thevoyageurscup.jpg/800px-Thevoyageurscup.jpg

I've posted this in the TFC section because it relates to our ultimate opponent.

OgtheDim
05-13-2019, 11:08 AM
York 9 discovering the "magic of the cup" would not be as sweet as Sigma FC discovering it but I can see it happening.

fergiejr
05-13-2019, 11:14 AM
Just checked and the games are being covered by OneSoccer.

Oldtimer
05-13-2019, 11:38 AM
Just checked and the games are being covered by OneSoccer.

Cool! Thanks for that info.

Gone are the days of games with no video. Soccer is on the rise in Canada.

James17930
05-13-2019, 06:59 PM
Cool! Thanks for that info.

Gone are the days of games with no video. Soccer is on the rise in Canada.

I'm kind of surprised Sportsnet didn't want in on this. Considering they lost the EPL, this would give them more soccer, and all Canadian to boot.

I still don't know if only having this and the CPL on One soccer is going to hurt the growth or not.

Hamilton_Red
05-13-2019, 08:31 PM
I'm kind of surprised Sportsnet didn't want in on this. Considering they lost the EPL, this would give them more soccer, and all Canadian to boot.

I still don't know if only having this and the CPL on One soccer is going to hurt the growth or not.

The rumour that I heard was that they did want to have the CPL..but CPL/One Soccer didn’t want to get locked in too early. I suppose they think they can have a better deal later on. The 10 game CBC deal and online streaming seem like a pilot run IMO. I’d expect there to be a competition between CBC/TSN/Sportsnet for the rights later.

MKR
05-13-2019, 09:15 PM
Ideally the games will be picked up by multiple networks. That way you get multiple sources promoting and spreading the word. The CBC streaming is pretty cool.

I have been saying this since it happened, but ever since the CFL went exclusively to TSN, it was a sad day for the league especially when it comes to having the product out in the general public's peripheries. I know that TSN payed more that other networks were willing to, but i think it hurt the reach of the CFL.

Oldtimer
05-16-2019, 09:37 AM
Blainville tied York9 0-0, setting up for an epic final. The CPL clubs won the other first halves.

Rocket Robin
05-16-2019, 09:41 AM
May 15, 2019 The sound files from the post game press conferences of the Voyageurs Cup 1st round, 1st leg between L1O Vaughan Azzurri and CPL HFX Wanderers at:
http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports19/19l1o041.htm

I'll be adding lineups, pictures, and play by play soon.

fergiejr
05-16-2019, 11:33 AM

Are you picking lottery numbers too? :-)

This sets up Blainville pretty well. Might have to go to that game.

Halifax almost drew with Vaughn if not for the late penalty.

Oldtimer
05-21-2019, 11:51 AM
Next leg Wednesday, May 22. Should be interesting to see who advances.

fergiejr
05-21-2019, 12:45 PM
Check out this tweet from the Mayor of Halifax.

https://twitter.com/MikeSavageHFX/status/1130503373567004673

whositwhatnow
05-21-2019, 01:50 PM
Check out this tweet from the Mayor of Halifax.

https://twitter.com/MikeSavageHFX/status/1130503373567004673

im moving to halifax :)

Oldtimer
05-22-2019, 08:59 PM
So Blainville came close, but York9 won. Now York9 plays the Eddies.

TBH, none of these CPL sides will get by any of the MLS clubs, the difference is too big at the moment. Give them another few years before we see any upsets.

Blindside16
05-23-2019, 04:31 AM
Cavalry vs Forge will be the best match up in the second round.

whositwhatnow
05-23-2019, 09:43 AM
So Blainville came close, but York9 won. Now York9 plays the Eddies.

TBH, none of these CPL sides will get by any of the MLS clubs, the difference is too big at the moment. Give them another few years before we see any upsets.

I could see MTL getting upset. Wait just saw the opponents yeah not this year...

Lil'John
05-23-2019, 06:29 PM
It's so great to have all these teams in the Canadian Championship. One day one of them will beat an MLS team.

Initial B
05-24-2019, 08:08 AM
Might see one of the CPL sides beat the Fury. That's the game I'm most interested in seeing as it will probably provide a better measure of the quality of the league.

Fort York Redcoat
05-27-2019, 07:12 PM
So York9 Squeaked by Blainville. Watched both legs and got out to the York U stadium. Cold but worth seeing the local CPL sides first match at home.

I haven't seen much of Edmonton but they will surely be the favourites next week.

Fort York Redcoat
05-27-2019, 07:14 PM
Cavalry dominated Pacific FC over both legs. They don't even look tired. They are the favourites vs Forge FC by far.

Oldtimer
05-27-2019, 11:25 PM
Cavalry dominated Pacific FC over both legs. They don't even look tired. They are the favourites vs Forge FC by far.

I can easily see Cavalry be the ultimate CPL representative in the Championship. They'd have to get by Montreal and/or Vancouver to play TFC though.

Blindside16
05-28-2019, 03:20 AM
I can easily see Cavalry be the ultimate CPL representative in the Championship. They'd have to get by Montreal and/or Vancouver to play TFC though.

That is if we get by HFX, Valour or Ottawa, and the way things are going that is no sure thing at all.

Mark TFC
05-29-2019, 06:23 AM
That is if we get by HFX, Valour or Ottawa, and the way things are going that is no sure thing at all.

TFC are automatically through to the semis given the Championship win last season. Even given our poor play this year, I’m still pretty confident we’d beat those teams en route to our spot.

Oldtimer
06-05-2019, 06:28 AM
Forge - Cavalry 1-1 in first half of the tie. Madness with the keeper sent off!

Highlights (no sound)

https://youtu.be/pHpWoSELGsU

whositwhatnow
06-05-2019, 08:46 AM
Highlights with sound, but with gareth Wheeler as commentator better off without it...

Chippy game at the end, there will be discipline for sure for the scuffle at the end...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCoBiUXiroE

Mikmacdo
06-06-2019, 06:34 AM
If york9 advance everone needs to go support them vs the impact.

Red4ever
06-06-2019, 07:41 AM

Can't. Wait

James17930
06-06-2019, 07:26 PM

Then they might actually have 50 fans show up instead of only 10.

They've been so unlucky so far, what with the bad weather on game days and everybody focused on the Raps.

Mateo1985
06-07-2019, 08:51 AM
The Montreal game would be July 10th ish though so Raps would be done by then. The only thing that could distract fans at that point would be the argos lol

Redpunkfiddle
06-07-2019, 10:22 AM

Meh. I'd go for local sporting interest. Montreal doesn't run my life.

Now if Halifax gets through to meet us, then that would be a place to sail.

fergiejr
06-07-2019, 01:36 PM
Now if Halifax gets through to meet us, then that would be a place to sail.

Ooh, yes. That would be great.

One can dream....

Fort York Redcoat
06-07-2019, 06:28 PM
The York9 was well worth it Wednesday. 3*1 going to Edmonton. Crazy picturing a visit from Montreal and UM02.

hulkrogan
06-12-2019, 01:03 AM
Just got back from Cavalry vs Forge. I never liked Bekker's attitude playing for TFC and he's been a piece of work in the CanPL so far. Satisfying to send him packing. I'm glad goalie Q wasn't in to take the loss.

Pretty cool we'll get to see an MLS team come to town.

Oldtimer
06-12-2019, 06:05 AM
July 10th will be the most interesting date for me since that's when we will first see a CPL/MLS match (actually two that day). It will give both an idea of the level of the CPL right now and also give us an idea of what TFC can expect should a CPL team make it through.

bigredone
06-12-2019, 11:24 PM
Is July 10th the game at York stadium?
Is it in bad taste (to York9) to go to the match in TFC colours and cheer for York9?

sidvan
06-13-2019, 05:53 AM
Is it in bad taste (to York9) to go to the match in TFC colours and cheer for York9?

It's never in bad taste to wear your TFC colours. :tfc:

Oldtimer
06-13-2019, 07:52 AM

Yes. York Lions stadium at 7:30pm.

Hamilton_Red
06-13-2019, 08:58 AM
York got a very lucky draw and are the second weakest team in CPL. Even against a dire Edmonton they barely squeaked through. Montreal will destroy them. I’d guess US/Thailand levels if they played their best 11.

fergiejr
06-13-2019, 11:52 AM
I would be keen to keep an eye on the Cavalry / Whitecaps series.

Caps play Sat / Wed / Sat / Wed / Sat / Wed / Sat during the weeks around these games

Sat July 6 away vs LAFC
Wed July 10 away vs Cavalry FC
Sat July 13 home vs Sporting KC
Wed July 17 away vs NE REVS
Sat July 20 home vs San Jose
Wed July 24 home vs Cavalry FC
Sat July 27 away vs Minnesota

I predict they start their "B" team vs Cavalry on the 10th. Might be Cavalry's best chance to get a result against an MLS squad.

fergiejr
06-13-2019, 11:55 AM
York got a very lucky draw and are the second weakest team in CPL. Even against a dire Edmonton they barely squeaked through. Montreal will destroy them. I’d guess US/Thailand levels if they played their best 11.

This match too.

Impact is home against Minnesota, Away vs York 9, then Home vs TFC.

They may throw the York9 game. Doesn't mean York9 will score though... :-)

Oldtimer
06-13-2019, 12:06 PM
York9 planning to "go after" Montreal.

http://youtu.be/Usfttenn3VU

Oldtimer
06-13-2019, 12:09 PM
This match too.

Impact is home against Minnesota, Away vs York 9, then Home vs TFC.

They may throw the York9 game. Doesn't mean York9 will score though... :-)

They might roll out the B squad for York9, then hammer them on the return tie at home.

The chance of York9 winning over two legs isn't great. The Impact will want to advance to play TFC and win.

Mikmacdo
06-13-2019, 05:01 PM
If the impact put out the B squad York has a good shot to at least win the first leg. Can’t wait to go and I will probably wear my TFC jersey like a douche!

James17930
06-13-2019, 07:26 PM
The match I care most about is actually Halifax vs. Ottawa because:

- It would be awesome for TFC to play in Halifax;
- I want HFX to embarrass the Fury and make them look even more stupid for not joining the CPL.

Oldtimer
07-08-2019, 11:18 AM
Wednesday, July 10th is a chance for a great evening of soccer seeing who we may potentially play.

If you are not already a subscriber to Onesoccer you can see these games for free with a free one month trial subscription!

http://onesoccer.ca

6pm HFX Wanderers v. Ottawa Fury
7:30 pm York9 v Montreal Impact
9:30 pm Cavalry v Whitecaps

Halifax v Ottawa *should* be pretty close, but we'll see. To my eyes CPL is somewhat better than USL. First ever cross-league match!

Montreal will probably beat York9, but you never know. They may throw the first game and hammer them in the return tie. Can York9 remedy their scoring woes?

Whitecaps are coming off a 6-1 loss in league play and have been a dumpster fire both on and off the pitch. Meanwhile Cavalry is easily the strongest CPL team. Mark that one for a possible upset. We'll see!

Initial B
07-08-2019, 11:52 AM
The match I care most about is actually Halifax vs. Ottawa because:

- It would be awesome for TFC to play in Halifax;
- I want HFX to embarrass the Fury and make them look even more stupid for not joining the CPL.
Being a Fury Season Ticket holder, I'm afraid that you're in for some disappointment as the Fury are currently playing fairly well and are in a playoff position. Personally, I'd like to see HFX win so that we supporters will have ammunition to pressure the club into joining the league in the near future, but I think a Fury win will just confirm to the Front Office that they made the right choice.

James17930
07-09-2019, 01:20 AM
Being a Fury Season Ticket holder, I'm afraid that you're in for some disappointment as the Fury are currently playing fairly well and are in a playoff position. Personally, I'd like to see HFX win so that we supporters will have ammunition to pressure the club into joining the league in the near future, but I think a Fury win will just confirm to the Front Office that they made the right choice.

But wouldn't they draw better crowds in CPL?

Blindside16
07-09-2019, 04:36 AM
Wednesday, July 10th is a chance for a great evening of soccer seeing who we may potentially play.

If you are not already a subscriber to Onesoccer you can see these games for free with a free one month trial subscription!

http://onesoccer.ca

6pm HFX Wanderers v. Ottawa Fury
7:30 pm York9 v Montreal Impact
9:30 pm Cavalry v Whitecaps

Halifax v Ottawa *should* be pretty close, but we'll see. To my eyes CPL is somewhat better than USL. First ever cross-league match!

Montreal will probably beat York9, but you never know. They may throw the first game and hammer them in the return tie. Can York9 remedy their scoring woes?

Whitecaps are coming off a 6-1 loss in league play and have been a dumpster fire both on and off the pitch. Meanwhile Cavalry is easily the strongest CPL team. Mark that one for a possible upset. We'll see!

With a Derby game coming up on the weekend, I think there is no way Montreal fields their A team. They will probably bunker and try to steal an away goal, then put out the big guns at the cheese factory next week.

Initial B
07-09-2019, 07:05 AM
But wouldn't they draw better crowds in CPL?
That's what we supporters would like to think, which is why we think there must be some hidden reason why they haven't joined yet. If CPL is successful over the next three years and CPL teams consistently beat the Fury in Voyageurs Cup matches, then it pretty much throws all the FO's arguments for not joining CPL out the window. I see the Fury joining CPL by 2022 if that happens, assuming they aren't forced to switch by CONCACAF before then (which the Canadian MLS clubs would fight against tooth and nail because of the precedence it sets).

Oldtimer
07-09-2019, 11:05 PM
Whitecaps planning to play their "strongest side" against Calvary.

https://www.prosoccerusa.com/mls/canadian-championship-confident-cavalry-host-struggling-vancouver-whitecaps/

OgtheDim
07-10-2019, 06:02 AM
Vancouver's home game this weekend is versus SKC who have issues so maybe they can get away with this.

James17930
07-10-2019, 08:19 AM
That's what we supporters would like to think, which is why we think there must be some hidden reason why they haven't joined yet. If CPL is successful over the next three years and CPL teams consistently beat the Fury in Voyageurs Cup matches, then it pretty much throws all the FO's arguments for not joining CPL out the window. I see the Fury joining CPL by 2022 if that happens, assuming they aren't forced to switch by CONCACAF before then (which the Canadian MLS clubs would fight against tooth and nail because of the precedence it sets).

MLS clubs aren't 'clubs' in the traditional sense - they are facets of MLS's single entity that an FO gets to operate within a certain geographical area. So they can't just be forced to change leagues like the Fury could.

If TFC, Van and Montreal were to join the CPL, the originals would have to be dissolved, or something, and new actual clubs created (if I'm understanding it correctly).

Oldtimer
07-10-2019, 08:51 AM
MLS clubs aren't 'clubs' in the traditional sense - they are facets of MLS's single entity that an FO gets to operate within a certain geographical area. So they can't just be forced to change leagues like the Fury could.

If TFC, Van and Montreal were to join the CPL, the originals would have to be dissolved, or something, and new actual clubs created (if I'm understanding it correctly).

That's correct. Legally, the MLS franchises are divisions of a corporation. So while it's possible to spin off a division into it's own corporation (which is how independent clubs are structured), it would require a lot of legal work, and would require MLS FO approval. That's not to say that MLSE couldn't in theory set up a new corporation to be a CPL club, however to keep the TFC identity it would require a buy-out of the MLS rights.

So no, the CSA is not going to require the 3 MLS sides to change leagues.

There's already a precedence for two leagues like Canada is ending up with (I believe Ottawa will ultimately migrate to the CPL). Wales has it's own top-flight Welsh Premier League, however there are a few top Welsh teams that play in English football. That doesn't diminish the value of the WPL at all. English football is more prestigious than the WPL, though, and the teams that play in English football are considered more prestigious teams. I think we'll see the same for MLS vs CPL. MLS will continue to be a more prestigious league, but the CPL will have value. The 3 MLS sides will continue to play in MLS, and be more prestigious teams to play for, just like teams like Swansea or Cardiff continue to play in the English pyramid and are more prestigious to play for than Carmarthen Town.

stegosaurus
07-10-2019, 09:03 AM

The easiest solution would be to simply sell and move it, as I assume MLSE would have little interest in operating in whichever American market currently doesn’t have an MLS team.

OgtheDim
07-10-2019, 09:10 AM
Soccer is governed by a lot of Laws & Rules that are purposfully vague to allow for intervention when parties want to intervene.

Consider teams operating in leagues outside of one FA as akin to just another way of interpreting the hand ball rule.

stegosaurus
07-10-2019, 09:24 AM
Soccer is governed by a lot of Laws & Rules that are purposfully vague to allow for intervention when parties want to intervene.

Consider teams operating in leagues outside of one FA as akin to just another way of interpreting the hand ball rule.

“The code is more what you'd call ‘guidelines’ than actual rules. Welcome to MLS, Miss Turner!”

Where “guidelines” can be used interchangeably with briefcases full of cash, Picasso paintings, or comically large burlap sacks with dollar signs on them.

Bobo
07-10-2019, 01:28 PM
Am I correct in assuming TFC's home match for the next round will be the second leg on August 14? Or can they get stuck with the first leg?

Oldtimer
07-10-2019, 07:41 PM
Impressions mid-evening:

Fury beating HFX 3-2 not too surprising. Both teams similar quality, but Fury show the benefit of being together longer. TFC could beat both of these teams. Great atmosphere in Halifax! I'd really enjoy a road trip there.

Montreal's B team similar to York9 at the half. Both have trouble finishing, Montreal better at defense. If Montreal plays their first 11 in Montreal or even something close to it York9 will lose.

jloome
07-10-2019, 08:34 PM
Impressions mid-evening:

Fury beating HFX 3-2 not too surprising. Both teams similar quality, but Fury show the benefit of being together longer. TFC could beat both of these teams. Great atmosphere in Halifax! I'd really enjoy a road trip there.

Montreal's B team similar to York9 at the half. Both have trouble finishing, Montreal better at defense. If Montreal plays their first 11 in Montreal or even something close to it York9 will lose.

Telfer takes over in the last 20 minutes.

Why is he in York, again? All he's done is a) play well for us, b) played well for them, c) come back and played well for us d) gone back and played excellently tonight.

Oldtimer
07-10-2019, 08:36 PM
Y9 concedes two goals due to shambolic defending and goal keeping. Telfer scores a golazo, forces a corner, takes the corner leading to a second goal for Y9. 2-2 exciting final. Montreal will be forced to play the A team for the return which is great for TFC.

Oldtimer
07-10-2019, 08:38 PM
Telfer takes over in the last 20 minutes.

Why is he in York, again? All he's done is a) play well for us, b) played well for them, c) come back and played well for us d) gone back and played excellently tonight.

I'd say Telfer is still a raw talent needing to work on aspects of his game, but he sure has some good moments! Looking forward to him hopefully ultimately being a first team regular for TFC.

Oldtimer
07-10-2019, 09:50 PM
At the half, Cavalry showing their class against a full strength Whitecaps. Cavalry is very well organized and with just a few additions could easily compete in MLS. Great crowd, support, and stadium. 8/10

Grass is terrible, horse jumping much worse on the pitch than the Argos. 2/10

Onesoccer not too bad, good analysis at half time. App streams poorly compared to TSN app but costs just as much per month. Didn't try PC streaming. Limited number of cameras compared to MLS makes watching the fine details of plays more difficult. 6/10

Oldtimer
07-10-2019, 09:56 PM
Based on what I've seen so far, TFC have to be favourites to win the Canadian Championship again.

PaceyWinger
07-10-2019, 10:12 PM
I can't believe the penalty the York 9 keeper committed after going up 2-1 in the 88th minute... that is just bonkers. To think that they could lose out on 1-1 away because the keeper loses his mind on a nothing play at the edge of the box...

PaceyWinger
07-10-2019, 10:13 PM
Also hey guys I'm new.

PaceyWinger
07-10-2019, 10:20 PM
Based on what I've seen so far, TFC have to be favourites to win the Canadian Championship again.
In fairness, TFC did lose over 2 legs to a semi pro team from Panama this season, but they still have clearly the best team if they could ever figure out how to get everyone healthy in the starting 11. I think with Jozy back, and new speed on the wings TFC will go on a little run. Probably with Pozuelo being the biggest beneficiary, not having 3 players marking him at all times.

jloome
07-10-2019, 10:26 PM

The way he's played so far this season I'd say we'd be foolish not to try and scoop up Nico Pasquotti from Calgary.

Oldtimer
07-10-2019, 10:36 PM
The way he's played so far this season I'd say we'd be foolish not to try and scoop up Nico Pasquotti from Calgary.

Seriously. Such a talented player.

Interesting that he's got an "Adrian Serioux" throw in (throw ins so far and powerful they are almost free kicks).

kodiakTFC
07-10-2019, 10:39 PM
I can't believe the penalty the York 9 keeper committed after going up 2-1 in the 88th minute... that is just bonkers. To think that they could lose out on 1-1 away because the keeper loses his mind on a nothing play at the edge of the box...

That was ridiculous. What was he thinking exactly?

James17930
07-11-2019, 12:19 AM

I know .. I literally almost spit out my drink when I saw that. Has to be the worst 'keeper giving away a penalty in the box' I've ever seen.

And welcome to the forums!

But still – great results for the CPL teams all things considered. Y9 will probably go out in Montreal, but the other two matches aren't so easy to call. I can see Cavalry squeaking by Van if they play it right, and I hope HFX can come up big vs. Ottawa (though I realize it's against them now).

Auzzy
07-11-2019, 08:09 AM
Onesoccer not too bad, good analysis at half time. App streams poorly compared to TSN app but costs just as much per month. Didn't try PC streaming. Limited number of cameras compared to MLS makes watching the fine details of plays more difficult. 6/10

Do you mean the TSN Direct streaming offer? I currently have that; got it for the WWC, Raptors, and other events happening recently. TSN Direct is $20/month or $100 for 6 months. (Argh forgot to cancel my subscription after the month was over.)

Onesoccer is $10/month or $75/year. So half the price or less, compared with TSN streaming.

TSN has other sports and leagues of course. But now that Raptors, WWC and Gold Cup are over, it's amazing how little of interest there is on TSN's 5 channels. I would basically just be keeping it for TFC away games. (Cable TV & these types of channels are in trouble.)

But I also really wonder if Onesoccer will work out for CanPL. Seems like it will only have a tiny subscriber base. And there must be quite a bit of overhead, running this whole platform just for one league.

Oldtimer
07-11-2019, 08:23 AM
Do you mean the TSN Direct streaming offer? I currently have that; got it for the WWC, Raptors, and other events happening recently. TSN Direct is $20/month or $100 for 6 months. (Argh forgot to cancel my subscription after the month was over.)

Onesoccer is $10/month or $75/year. So half the price or less, compared with TSN streaming.

TSN has other sports and leagues of course. But now that Raptors, WWC and Gold Cup are over, it's amazing how little of interest there is on TSN's 5 channels. I would basically just be keeping it for TFC away games. (Cable TV & these types of channels are in trouble.)

But I also really wonder if Onesoccer will work out for CanPL. Seems like it will only have a tiny subscriber base. And there must be quite a bit of overhead, running this whole platform just for one league.

Correct, Onesoccer is actually half the price. Still, it doesn't have anything interesting apart from the CPL (and now the Chinese Soccer League). I use TSN direct 90% for TFC games but have looked at the occasional thing outside of it (such as the Raptors playoff run, the games that TSN carried).

stegosaurus
07-11-2019, 08:27 AM

OneSoccer picked up the Chinese Super League/Cup recently too, so there’s, uh, that too.

In Spain the parent company operates the Qatari-owned beIN Sports doing the big three outside the EPL (probably Ligue 1 as well).

They are probably losing money on the CPL in an attempt to eventually buy the rights to other leagues in Canada as the sport grows in interest here.

hulkrogan
07-11-2019, 11:12 AM
The atmosphere for the Cavalry game was fantastic. Ecstatic with the scoreless draw, but damn they flat out took it to the Whitecaps in the second half and could have won that.

Rocket Robin
07-11-2019, 12:40 PM
July 10, 2019 CPL vs MLS Voyageurs Cup post game press conference of York 9 FC vs Montreal Impact match on my site right now.
http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports19/19york123.htm

Impact's head coach Remi Garde and Samuel Piette. York 9's Jimmy Brennan and Ryan Telfer.
more pictures, rosters, play by play, opinion added in next day or two.

stegosaurus
07-11-2019, 02:19 PM
OneSoccer has the rights to LigaMX now as well.

C.Ronaldo
07-11-2019, 03:00 PM
the tournament needs to be a free stream or on an OTA channel in Canada if its going to garner the right momentum

Rocket Robin
07-11-2019, 10:38 PM
the tournament needs to be a free stream or on an OTA channel in Canada if its going to garner the right momentum

TSN has had the semi-finals onward for years so that's hardly OTA.

C.Ronaldo
07-15-2019, 09:42 AM
TSN has had the semi-finals onward for years so that's hardly OTA.
agreed.

should be OTA / free stream

Oldtimer
07-16-2019, 07:44 AM
My predictions for the second round:

The Impact will hammer York9 at Saputo, easily beating them with a stronger team than played the first half

Ottawa will get through over Halifax (too bad, a road trip to Halifax would be cool)

Cavalry will edge out a demoralized Whitecaps

Initial B
07-16-2019, 12:48 PM
I'd love to see Cavalry through to the semifinals as a testament to the strength of the CPL so the league gets more respect. I'd love to see them make it to the final so we could laugh at the Impact losing to a team with 1/10th of their payroll.

ojx
07-18-2019, 07:11 PM

The Impact will hammer York9 at Saputo, easily beating them with a stronger team than played the first half

Ottawa will get through over Halifax (too bad, a road trip to Halifax would be cool)

While it would be fun to see them crash out, is anyone else hoping Impact make it to the final against TFC, just for another away trip?

portu
07-24-2019, 06:50 PM
Telfer around the keeper just outside the 18 and skies the ball on an open goal.

tfcfans
07-24-2019, 08:53 PM
After all of that - it's back to Ottawa vs Toronto and potentially Vancouver against Montreal which basically is exactly where this whole thing was set up before it started --- maybe Cavalry can win one for the CanPL tonight which would be nice as both Halifax and Y9 showed nicely but in the end, Cavalry is really the only CanPL team to me that has a chance of taking down an MLS side based on how they've performed this year as they are clearly the class of the new league....

Not sure Ottawa v Toronto is going to spark a lot of interest (except for stories about flares and fires in Ottawa being re-shown again) and even watching the future of Bayern Munich:o play for Vancouver last year in the Final (a very enjoyable game which may have actually been the season highlight of 2018 (after April) sadly) only drew about 15K, and now with the Finals being a mid-week game in September, I would suspect a low turnout if we go back to the Finals again (maybe another Montreal v Toronto Final would generate some more buzz!!)

MightyDM
07-24-2019, 10:20 PM
Cheering for Calvary but almost feeling sorry for Vancouver. Why are they so bad? Lots of decent players. Adnan crosses the ball well and is brilliant from set pieces. But they seem to find a way to screw up

MightyDM
07-24-2019, 10:22 PM
Felipe is a pr*ck though.

stegosaurus
07-24-2019, 10:35 PM
telfer around the keeper just outside the 18 and skies the ball on an open goal.

tfc dna.

Red CB Toronto
07-24-2019, 10:46 PM
Not to get ahead of our self bur I am looking forward to TFC Montreal. That will be another good time in a city I love.

Auzzy
07-24-2019, 11:53 PM
(Sung to the tune of "Na na na na, na na na na, hey hey-ey, goodbye")

Lenarduzzi, Lenarduzzi, Lenarduzzi, goodbye!

Calgary knocks out Vancouver, woohoo, a CanPL team goes through to the next round!

Too bad that Telfer (and others) didn't make the York -- Montreal game more interesting. They had a chance, although it would have been tough to see that game out.

Blindside16
07-25-2019, 01:27 AM
It's a shame how huge that ridiculous penalty that the York keeper gave up in leg 1 became in the overall tie. Montreal should be very wary against Cavalry in the semis

Oldtimer
07-25-2019, 08:51 AM

My predictions panned out correct :D, including that the Impact played their first team, except that York9 kept the score much closer than I expected for their match.

I would love a TFC/Cavalry matchup, although the Impact have to be favourites for the finals.

OgtheDim
07-25-2019, 08:59 AM
Cheering for Calvary but almost feeling sorry for Vancouver. Why are they so bad? ...

Upper level management sets the tone - there are ways to do MLS on the cheap but you have to stick to a game plan for years to do so. VCWC management are kinda lazy.

hulkrogan
07-25-2019, 10:31 AM
So. Hung. Over.

That was a ton of fun to watch. I loved how after VWC tied it 1-1, the Cavs just kept coming. There was no sitting back and trying to grind that one out, just smart attacking football, picking their spots.

Now to see if they can get some more equestrian events squeezed in before Montreal shows up so they can use the occasionally horrendous field conditions as home field advantage :lol:

Seeing TFC play out here would be something else, but I expect Montreal will be on another level compared to VWC.

Auzzy
07-25-2019, 10:36 AM
Too bad the OneSoccer highlights don't show the Telfer miss and some other chances for York9.

Red CB Toronto
07-25-2019, 10:50 AM
Too bad the OneSoccer highlights don't show the Telfer miss and some other chances for York9.

Yeah, saw it on TSN, man what a miss. Just keep the ball down, you have a wide open target.

C.Ronaldo
07-25-2019, 11:32 AM
Yeah, saw it on TSN, man what a miss. Just keep the ball down, you have a wide open target.

he didnt need to shoot right away either. he had time.
Big game might have gotten to him, this is good experience for him

Initial B
07-25-2019, 12:13 PM
Lenarduzzi, Lenarduzzi, Lenarduzzi, goodbye!
I'm wondering when this will happen. The situation there must be untenable for him by this point, right? How long can the ownership ignore the state of the club and the fan anger? Even TFC took only 6 years to start turning things around. At this rate, their Season Ticket Holder base is going to crater in the offseason.

ag futbol
07-25-2019, 01:18 PM
I think they need new ownership too. Garber can’t be pleased they’ve basically pocketed the Alphonso Davies money and told the fan base part of it was spent on a leftback most other teams would consider a low-level TAM signing.

This is like shades of Mo Edu turning into a grass field, but worse.

portu
07-25-2019, 01:24 PM
I think they need new ownership too. Garber can’t be pleased they’ve basically pocketed the Alphonso Davies money and told the fan base part of it was spent on a leftback most other teams would consider a low-level TAM signing.

Yeah I can't believe that Ali Adnan is a DP. Like, cool nice player but a leftback DP? Get real.

MightyDM
07-25-2019, 01:30 PM

Hey, that field was pretty good!

OgtheDim
07-25-2019, 02:20 PM
No field...No Seba

Auzzy
07-25-2019, 03:35 PM
Yeah I never minded the Edu-for-grass deal. Put it this way, they've occasionally found much worse ways to spend money over the years!

magmadragon
07-25-2019, 03:40 PM
Seeing as Cavalry are better than York9, don't be surprised if Montreal struggles.

Mikmacdo
07-25-2019, 03:45 PM
Seeing as Cavalry are better than York9, don't be surprised if Montreal struggles.
The second leg being in Calgary could be trouble if the Cavs dont get marked in Montreal. I would like to see TFC vs Cavalry in the finals. Hopefully next year TFC gets to play some CPL teams and they dont get a bye to the semis.

ag futbol
07-25-2019, 04:04 PM
No field...No Seba
Don’t take it the wrong way, I appreciate the field but that was an investment the club was always going to have to make if they wanted to add to the credibility of their product and attract more players (like Seba).

We had to suffer through some lean years after that before they realized fans weren’t going to show up if the club only invested the minimum in players.

hulkrogan
07-25-2019, 08:53 PM
The second leg being in Calgary could be trouble if the Cavs dont get marked in Montreal. I would like to see TFC vs Cavalry in the finals. Hopefully next year TFC gets to play some CPL teams and they dont get a bye to the semis.

I hope they tweak the format so there are less byes. Given the CPL vs. MLS matchups were all decent this year, this could turn into a really fun tournament involving the whole country.

Initial B
07-26-2019, 07:33 AM
Once the CanPL gets to 10 teams, you'll probably see the previous year's cup winner drop down to the Quarter finals from the Semis, but I don't see them dropping down to joining in earlier rounds due to fixture congestion. That format would still be able to handle up to 23 teams, which I don't see them maxing out any time soon.

tfcfans
07-26-2019, 12:48 PM
Does anyone know how the home field advantage sets up for the Finals this year - how is it determined who gets the second leg (Sept 25) at home, as opposed to the first leg (Sept 18)? Is it pre-determined? Is it based on the results of this round?

Was also trying to figure out how/why Cavalry gets the second leg versus Montreal next round too --- they both were +1 agg in the last round (Mtl 3-2 and Calg 2-1, and both teams scored 2 away goals)...

Any insight on all of this would be great....hoping for a Sept 25th game at BMO.....

benito
07-26-2019, 01:28 PM
Does anyone know how the home field advantage sets up for the Finals this year - how is it determined who gets the second leg (Sept 25) at home, as opposed to the first leg (Sept 18)? Is it pre-determined? Is it based on the results of this round?

Was also trying to figure out how/why Cavalry gets the second leg versus Montreal next round too --- they both were +1 agg in the last round (Mtl 3-2 and Calg 2-1, and both teams scored 2 away goals)...

Any insight on all of this would be great....hoping for a Sept 25th game at BMO.....

According to the Wikipedia page, it states that the higher seeded team will host the the second game of finals. I would assume Toronto FC is the highest ranked team in the tourney but I would have also assumed that Montreal would have been higher ranked than Calgary for the semi finals.

Cas87
07-26-2019, 02:39 PM
The only thing I can think of would be similar to the CONCACAF champions league with the total points through previous rounds.
Calgary would have more points than Montreal (although with more games total played as well)

Montreal 1 - 0 - 1 -- 4 points
Calvary 4 - 0 - 2 -- 14 points

OR ....

Montreal wanted the legs switched for scheduling?

tfcfans
07-26-2019, 04:33 PM
The only thing I can think of would be similar to the CONCACAF champions league with the total points through previous rounds.
Calgary would have more points than Montreal (although with more games total played as well)

Montreal 1 - 0 - 1 -- 4 points
Calvary 4 - 0 - 2 -- 14 points

OR ....

Montreal wanted the legs switched for scheduling?

It's weird as even in the earlier rounds it seemed off as of the three teams that won Round One - Halifax, Y9 and Cavalry -- two of them were visitors in the second leg in Round 2, and yet the Cavalry had home field for the second leg against Forge?! Then in the third round all three teams who had not played already (Mon/Vanc/Ott) all had home field for the second leg (like Toronto was given home field in leg 2 this round) - so why was Cavalry given that privilege against Forge earlier and why are they ahead of Montreal now?

The total points thing above makes little sense as obviously teams from earlier rounds would always have more points than teams in later rounds yet all three round 2 winners had the "disadvantage" against Ott/Vanc/Mtl.

The rescheduling thing seems like an odd suggestion too as Montreal is already in Colorado on the 3rd why would they want to fly home and then fly out there again crossing multiple time zones, when they could just go from Colorado to Calgary on the 7th and then come eastward for Chicago and then home to Mtl.

I'm sure there is a logical reason behind who gets to host which leg - but it sure as heck isn't clear from anything I can see....

tfcfans
07-26-2019, 04:37 PM
According to the Wikipedia page, it states that the higher seeded team will host the the second game of finals. I would assume Toronto FC is the highest ranked team in the tourney but I would have also assumed that Montreal would have been higher ranked than Calgary for the semi finals.

I agree - and why wouldn't the higher seeded team obviously be Montreal over Cavalry - considering they are in a "higher" league and had a bye further along in the tournament than Cavalry (and if it isn't all of this stuff than why is Toronto getting home field for the second leg against Ottawa ---- either Mon/Tor should both have it; or neither should have it)?

Cas87
07-27-2019, 01:15 PM
Calvary are home for the second leg because their field is shared with Spruce Meadows.
they are kicked out for August 7 due to an equestrian competition occurring at the time (I think on the same field as well)

hulkrogan
07-27-2019, 11:23 PM
Good. The field should be in shambles. Get an away goal at Saputo, and come home to grind it across the line.