PDA

View Full Version : We need 2 strikers, another defender, and a goal!!!

Nuvinho
08-04-2008, 09:02 AM
We haven't scored at home in MLS play in over 300 minutes (I think its around that time). Its reminding a little of last year (yikes!!!).

I think we need not just one new striker, but two!! I am assuming that Cunny is gone, Ibbe is young (and the fact they don't want to play him more than 10 games, as they have to compensate Dallas for him), Dichio could be out the entire year (or for good). If we have:

Striker 1
Striker 2
Barrett
Dichio (when/if he comes back)
Ibbe (developmental roster)

As well, we need another CB (as Carver said). I don't get why doesn't Velez slot into RB, instead of playing JJ out of place.

I know this is a rant after a horrible game yesterday, but it is what is needed for TFC to compete this year.

poppamidnight
08-04-2008, 09:23 AM
Dichio's done imo....

I think if we get two strikers, one will be a big body (bumping danny out of the way),
1 obviously wil be a speedster....

S1,
S2,
Ibbe
Barrett....

Barrett looked like shiite yesterday... i dont know whats up with him, i suspect his confidence is completely shot...

a - His goal scoring tailing off,
b -being overlooked by US team...
c- Toronto FC not really wanting him as their #1 target (Rolfe/Mapp being our targets)
...that would be a kick in the balls to anyones confidence

Personally, I wouldhve rather got Nyarko.... (wernt we looking to draft him this year anyways???...chicago beat us to him and we snagged James)

H Bomb
08-04-2008, 09:27 AM
As well, we need another CB (as Carver said). I don't get why doesn't Velez slot into RB, instead of playing JJ out of place.

I know this is a rant after a horrible game yesterday, but it is what is needed for TFC to compete this year.

I thought yesterdays game was showed why this is a good choice. I've got high hopes/expectations for JJ but yesterday he made 2-3 mental errors where he trapped himself and then didn't take his medicine and lost the ball. He'll be fine but Velez has a lot of professional experience, even if he is a league rookie.

BigD
08-04-2008, 09:32 AM
Dichio's done imo....

I think if we get two strikers, one will be a big body (bumping danny out of the way),
1 obviously wil be a speedster....

S1,
S2,
Ibbe
Barrett....

Barrett looked like shiite yesterday... i dont know whats up with him, i suspect his confidence is completely shot...

a - His goal scoring tailing off,
b -being overlooked by US team...
c- Toronto FC not really wanting him as their #1 target (Rolfe/Mapp being our targets)
...that would be a kick in the balls to anyones confidence

Personally, I wouldhve rather got Nyarko.... (wernt we looking to draft him this year anyways???...chicago beat us to him and we snagged James)

Carver said in his post game that Chad needs to work on his fitness. Also it was his first game with a new group of guys ... I say it was just a learning day for him ...

Glass half full!

poppamidnight
08-04-2008, 09:38 AM
Carver said in his post game that Chad needs to work on his fitness. Also it was his first game with a new group of guys ... I say it was just a learning day for him ...

Glass half full!

Fair enough,
But why neglect that fact that Chicago was soo eager to get rid of him to nab McBride???
and why was the league almost forcing this Barret deal down our throats???

Maybe Shiite was not the word to use... "dissapoining".....

Regardless, i still think AS OF NOW Ibbe is better than Chad (and with the age factor will continue to be better than Chad)....

I didnt get excited when the ball got to chad,
I get excited when the ball gets to Ibbe....

Ibbe makes space/plays,
chad didnt.... he just looked frustrated,

Hence,
Ibbe's higher up on the depth chart until i see otherwise

Waggy
08-04-2008, 09:43 AM
Jeez a little quick on the Barrett bashing huh. Maybe we should give him a few more minutes on the pitch first? Or at least enough time to be on a first name basis with at least half of the team.

Rocco
08-04-2008, 09:53 AM
playing soccer in a different climate overnight is a huge fatigue factor. Add different playing condition and it's that much harder. The smallest changes make the biggest impact on performance. From climate and pitch conditions, all the way down to the way you tape your leg. I'm very confident that Chad is fit to play but not the full 90 mins. For a well conditioned athlete, it will take only a matter of weeks to get back into Toronto playing shape. As for Ibbe, he's still growing and physically still developing. He's no where peak performance yet. Do we really need players? Maybe... but sometimes you have to work with what you've got and meet the goals and expecatations of your upper management. I think the emphasis this year is on building a club, not making the playoffs. Playoffs is a bonus but with the league rules regarding sallary cap and funds allocation, there isn't much to work with. Add injuries, international duties and all that, and Mo's job isn't any easier.

I guess all i'm saying is you can't just sign anyone out of the blue just because you need them. It's more complicated than just inking the deal

Shakes McQueen
08-04-2008, 11:06 AM
Hey Rocco, take your measured, reasonable observations and shove it! :D

I couldn't agree more. A couple of things TFC fans seem to have in common with Leafs fans, is that they expect results immediately, and they will verbally throw anyone under the bus the minute they have a bad game or two.

Except for Cunny. Dude needs to go.

- Scott

ExiledRed
08-04-2008, 11:19 AM
playing soccer in a different climate overnight is a huge fatigue factor. Add different playing condition and it's that much harder. The smallest changes make the biggest impact on performance. From climate and pitch conditions, all the way down to the way you tape your leg. I'm very confident that Chad is fit to play but not the full 90 mins. For a well conditioned athlete, it will take only a matter of weeks to get back into Toronto playing shape. As for Ibbe, he's still growing and physically still developing. He's no where peak performance yet. Do we really need players? Maybe... but sometimes you have to work with what you've got and meet the goals and expecatations of your upper management. I think the emphasis this year is on building a club, not making the playoffs. Playoffs is a bonus but with the league rules regarding sallary cap and funds allocation, there isn't much to work with. Add injuries, international duties and all that, and Mo's job isn't any easier.

I guess all i'm saying is you can't just sign anyone out of the blue just because you need them. It's more complicated than just inking the deal

This is all well and good, but the constant slew of false starts, followed by long dismal stretches without goals, frustrating losses and scoreless draws is actually detrimental to this so called 'club building' you speak of.

They dont get us any closer to our goals, and dont represent a good foundation for the future. We are taking one step forward and two steps back ad infinitum.

The situation is unnecessary and not an inevitable side effect of 'club building'

ExiledRed
08-04-2008, 11:21 AM
Seriously, if we're 'club building' why dont we just play the kids every game?

They'll ptobably lose as well, but at least they'll be getting some hard experience and maybe improve as a result.

poppamidnight
08-04-2008, 11:25 AM
Jeez a little quick on the Barrett bashing huh. Maybe we should give him a few more minutes on the pitch first? Or at least enough time to be on a first name basis with at least half of the team.

It's more of a MLSforcinghimonus-Bashing

Chads and upgrade over Cunny, no doubt...

But for the thread starter to come out and say chads better than Ibbe right now is ridiculous!!!
a little quick???
not me my friend....
a little quick by everyone else calling him our top striker as of now???
Most definatly

PS - Why are people ignoring the fact that we (mo) didnt want barrett (wanting Mapp/Rolfe instead), and Chicago was almost begging us to take him (which we didnt until MLS forced it on us during the all-star break)

Nuvinho
08-04-2008, 11:30 AM
I don't think I said anywhere in my post that Ibbe was better than Chad.

They don't want to play Ibbe a lot, b/c of the compensation picks they have to give to Dallas. Would you want TFC to give Dallas a 1st round pick??

Right now Ibbe has wayyy more upside than Barrett, but will probably be playing more on the reserve roster.

Kickit09
08-04-2008, 11:41 AM
the stadium was full and will be for the next game, beer sales are through the roof, and im sure merchandise and concessions were too. all is well in the eyes of MSLE.

DigzTFC!
08-04-2008, 11:50 AM
You know what bothers me about the all these rumors of incoming players, is that they're public and basically tell the rest of the team they're not good enough.

If you look around the league, each team has players at every position that has deficiencies. MLS is the way it is because of the cap. Some teams know how to operate better under that system than others.

Basically, it seems every week we have someone rumored to be coming here and because of that the fans, coaching staff, and media appear to give up on players that have talent.

Julius James will be a fine defender with a year or two under his belt. Barrett was the leading scorer of the fire and improved year over year. Marvel Wynne will improve on his positioning as time goes on. Ibbe is given the benefit of the doubt because of his age, but if he were older and kept diving the way he does, we'd tear him an new asshole.

Would you guys be lose your minds if no new additions came into the squad and we got the #2 (SJ), #4(TFC) and #10(Chi) overall picks? I would be a little bewildered by the public admission without a result, but I think building towards a better future, especailly with such a deep draft, is more important than making bandaid additions.

rocker
08-04-2008, 11:58 AM
I don't think I said anywhere in my post that Ibbe was better than Chad.

They don't want to play Ibbe a lot, b/c of the compensation picks they have to give to Dallas. Would you want TFC to give Dallas a 1st round pick??

Right now Ibbe has wayyy more upside than Barrett, but will probably be playing more on the reserve roster.

just an aside -- is Dallas' draft pick (for Ibby playing more than X amount) for the 2009 draft?
Secondly, if so, I guess having those 3 first round draft picks would help in case Ibby plays beyond the threshold.

Nuvinho
08-04-2008, 12:04 PM
just an aside -- is Dallas' draft pick (for Ibby playing more than X amount) for the 2009 draft?
Secondly, if so, I guess having those 3 first round draft picks would help in case Ibby plays beyond the threshold.

ah....I think you are right, my bad. But still don't want to give away a 1st round draft pick.

DigzTFC!
08-04-2008, 12:25 PM
http://www.3rddegree.net/2008/06/abdus-ibrahim-traded-to-toronto/

After a long sabbatical away from FC Dallas, Abdus Ibrahim has been traded to Toronto FC for a conditional draft pick. If Ibrahim plays 10 or more games in 2009, or if he is sold, loaned, or traded, then FCD will receive a 2010 first round pick. If none of the previous conditions are met, then FCD will receive a 2nd round pick. Ibrahim had a strong spring for FCD and was really starting to show some talent before his sabbatical.

poppamidnight
08-04-2008, 12:42 PM
That is ridiculous to say "well he's a better player than "x" (in this case chad/Cunningham/Smith), but we really dont wanna pay that 2010 1st round pick (which looks to be a non-high pick), so we'll just field inferior players"....

....utter ridiculousness!!!!