PDA

View Full Version : Positively Pozuelo

Pages : [1] 2

ensco
03-03-2019, 02:34 PM
So we have numerous news reports, and Manning himself saying it here. I think that this constitutes confirmation (but not white smoke just yet).

https://torontosun.com/sports/soccer/mls/toronto-fc-preparing-for-pozuelos-arrival

Figured I'd put this here and let the in season thread focus on who will play wing with Pozo, etc

Injury watch: Pozo apparently looked good yesterday, and didn't get hurt. Two games to go.

https://www.voetbalkrant.com/nl/nieuws/lees/2019-03-02/sebastien-dewaest-vindt-het-maar-logisch-dat-alejandro-pozuelo-in-de-basis-staat

Philippe Clement knows very well what he is doing when he leaves Alejandro Pozuelo in the base. The Spaniard, liberated from worries, played football in Charleroi - especially the first half - back to its former level. His teammates therefore have no problems with it.

Sebastien Dewaest shrugged when he was asked that it was not strange that Clement set up a player who would take his suitcases within two weeks. "The most important thing is that the boy gives 200 percent, which he showed today and at that moment there is no problem for us", said the tough defender.

But within two matches it is done anyway. "Yes, Pozo is a great player, and as long as we have him, we have to take advantage of it, I think, and after that, we have two weeks after the regular competition to try a different system or game."

"That's up to the trainer, but I'm sure that the other players will take their chance when they get it, but it will not be easy, no, together with Vanaken, Pozo is the best player in this competition."

ensco
03-03-2019, 02:39 PM
Interview with Genk Chairman... a good summary of the transfersoap

Chairman Croonen after the turbulent weeks at Racing Genk: "Disappointed in Pozuelo, but I do not want to make him a scapegoat"

https://www.hln.be/sport/voetbal/belgisch-voetbal/racing-genk/voorzitter-croonen-na-de-woelige-weken-bij-racing-genk-ontgoocheld-in-pozuelo-maar-ik-wil-van-hem-geen-zondebok-maken~a9b81d1a8/?context=REGISTER_ACTIVATE#paywall

It has been debilitating weeks for Peter Croonen (50). The chairman of Racing Genk speaks for the first time about the negotiations with Toronto about the transfer of Alejandro Pozuelo. "If we had played it legally really hard, I think he just stayed. The question is what we won. "
January 6, 2019. Slumped into a lounge chair on the terrace of the Melia Villaitana hotel in Benidorm Peter Croonen enjoys a cappuccino. Nothing but good vibes around Racing Genk. A month and a half later, the atmosphere around his club has changed. After the revelations around Peter Maes, Genk is mentioned in the 'Clean Hands' study, the European adventure is over and Alejandro Pozuelo, the beating heart of the team, leaves just before the playoffs.

Mr President, remember our conversation in Benidorm at the beginning of January. Literally a day later the tent was on fire because Pozuelo was courted by Al-Ahli from Saudi Arabia.

Croonen: "That was a big surprise for us. Just before that we had talked with 'Pozo' about breaking open his contract, for us there was no dirt in the air. The next morning his brokers appeared in the hotel. We assumed that they wanted to talk about deleting that step-up clause until the end of the season, because the talks about it had been going on for a while. Suddenly it appears that they have a totally different message. "A club from the Middle East wants Alejandro." That was just a swallow, but the Middle East is not so obvious to go to as a family. We were relieved that after a few days that situation was under control. "

A press conference will follow on 16 January.

"Yes, with the report that Pozuelo will remain in Genk until the end of the season. At that time, there was an agreement between all parties to cancel that 8 million clause until the end of the season. At the moment Pozuelo has to sign his new contract, he does not show up. January 30 we get the message that Toronto wants to make an offer on Pozuelo. Toronto came up between the moment we agreed with Pozuelo and his entourage and the moment he would actually put his signature. "

And you have turned away from Toronto right away?

"That bid came to us through a board member of the MLS. Because it is a designated player, it is not the club itself but the MLS that makes that bid. We immediately announced that we had an agreement with Pozuelo that he would stay with us until the end of the season. "

After which the entourage of Pozuelo lets you know that this clause has not been deleted at all?

"Then the legal discussion started. About the agreement by mail from the Pozuelo agents, Pozo's oral agreement and the interpretation of that clause. I think we had a strong case legally, but certainties do not exist about that kind of thing. We did our best to persuade Pozuelo to stay, but that was no longer possible at any given time. That started to weigh on the group. Sport was no longer desirable to wait any longer and that coincided with an intensification of the talks with Toronto. "

"In the end, Dimitri went to America, the chairman of Toronto, Bill Manning, and the general director, Ali Curtis, came here. They explained why they wanted him immediately, we explained why an immediate departure was absolutely impossible. Then you are looking for a win-win situation, but for us this certainly was not the hoped-for outcome. We have tried to keep Pozuelo here, but we did not succeed. The financial perk (Genk gets 2 million on top of the 8 million entry clause, Ed.) Certainly does not feel like a victory. "

Did you personally confront him with his words from that press conference, in which he clearly states that he wants to stay until the end of the season?

"There have been a lot of conversations. I have been face to face with him once, Dimitri de Condé and Philippe Clement have talked to him numerous times. But 'Pozo' was convinced he was right because he did not put that signature. If we had really played it legally hard I think he just stayed, but the question is what we won. We are convinced that we would then have caused unrest in the locker room and that Pozuelo would not have been selectable for an indefinite period, as he already had his head in Toronto. It would also be constant about Pozuelo, which is not fair to the rest of the group. "

He has played it hard, do you understand that for something?

"Toronto is a beautiful city and it is a nice contract. But I had hoped that our club perspective had lived a little more with him. What I have a problem with is that his brokers have not blocked Toronto. They knew perfectly well that those mails meant the same to FIFA as a signed agreement. They should have said, 'Pozo, here it stops'. That is where the real problem came about. "

Pozuelo now probably remains until March 18, the end of the regular competition. Do you think he will give everything in those three remaining matches?

"I'm convinced of that. I hope the fans want to give him that chance too. We have nothing to gain by destabilizing him and making him a scapegoat. If the coach decides to compose him, then I am sure he will want to play three very good matches for us. He will not leave via the big gate, nor will he pass a back door. "

Are you not too romantic now? In his place I would just play to not injure myself.

"Insurance is possible for that. The insurance will cover what he could have earned at Toronto if he seriously injured himself. "

Are you disillusioned in Pozuelo man?

(Think long after) "Yes. I am disillusioned. I missed the willingness to step into the club's perspective, certainly. I have sympathy for the Pozuelo I have known here. I am a big fan of the football player Pozuelo. And I know that he was happy here too. It is a special type of footballer. You must have a trainer who is willing to put him first on the sheet. If you do that, you get a lot back, if you do not, then the question is how he will render. Pozuelo will not be as important to any trainer, in every team and in any competition as he has been to us. "

How did the group deal with this?

"Initially very mature, for them that was a problem between player and club. But the reality is that Pozuelo constantly says: 'I do not play, because the club is not fair to me, I want to get out of here, I do not train, I'm in pain, I have this, I have that, ...' As on training nobody wants to be in a team with Pozuelo because he does not go full, then it's over. Look, those guys are working on a top season, but when they get to the bakery the only question is 'how is Pozuelo'? That's just not okay. "

Have players come to complain to you?

"The group of players has asked for clarity and we have now been able to create that."

Do you regret that clause?

"When that clause was included in the contract, it was one of the arguments to keep him in Genk longer, because he also wanted to leave at that moment. The time that he stayed here, it has also been absolutely worth eight million and we also found little money for a 27-year-old player. The only thing we have learned is that such clauses may only apply during our mercato's. These periods must be specifically delineated. An entry clause may only apply to me for the first two weeks of a mercato, so that we also have the time to find a replacement. That is a mistake that we have made as a club and where we have to learn from. Incidentally, this also shows that all those different mercatos have to be better coordinated. "

How has Philippe Clement dealt with this?

"This has been very difficult for him. The internship was over, the tactics were largely set up with Pozuelo and now it will have to be done without him. But I told him that we could have lost him due to an injury, then we could not replace him either. This is an annoying part of modern football. "

Did this saga cost you points?

"It certainly will not have helped. You can lose on Bruges, also with the best Pozuelo. And as far as Slavia is concerned, I found them better over two matches. We are in a lesser period. Not only Pozuelo, but also other boys are looking for their best form. "

Does his departure suspect the title chances of Racing Genk?

"No, KRC Genk is more than Pozuelo alone, but I find it very sour for the boys who have stayed and for whom Pozuelo is very important in the ensemble. The way Pozuelo fulfills his role is unique. I feel that the group wants to prove that it is possible without Pozo. And we hope to recuperate Berge in the short term. He too can make other boys play better. I am also convinced that no team will roll through the playoffs, so hopefully we have a serious lead at the start of the playoffs. "

(article continues on other topics....)

notthesun
03-03-2019, 03:45 PM
"Yes, with the report that Pozuelo will remain in Genk until the end of the season. At that time, there was an agreement between all parties to cancel that 8 million clause until the end of the season. At the moment Pozuelo has to sign his new contract, he does not show up. January 30 we get the message that Toronto wants to make an offer on Pozuelo. Toronto came up between the moment we agreed with Pozuelo and his entourage and the moment he would actually put his signature. "

That's the same day we sold Giovinco.

Shows how management must have had their eyes on Pozuelo for a while. Hopefully for good reason. :)

Smokecell
03-03-2019, 04:09 PM
Thanks for this Ensco, fantastic summation of the events surrounding Pozuelo's seemingly imminent transfer.

ensco
03-03-2019, 04:31 PM
That's the same day we sold Giovinco.

Shows how management must have had their eyes on Pozuelo for a while. Hopefully for good reason. :)

Hmmm. It doesn't show that to me. If anything it could mean that they moved for him in a panic - you'd think they would have been having conversations with Pozo and Genk during the Saudi Pozo transfersoap (Jan 10-15) and/or the Gio transfersoap (Jan 15-30).

Croonen implies (but doesn't actually say) that the first he heard from MLS was Jan 30.

Red4ever
03-03-2019, 04:42 PM
Hmmm. It doesn't show that to me. If anything it could mean that they moved for him in a panic - you'd think they would have been having conversations with Pozo and Genk during the Saudi Pozo transfersoap (Jan 10-15) and/or the Gio transfersoap (Jan 15-30).

Croonen implies (but doesn't actually say) that the first he heard from MLS was Jan 30.

This.

stegosaurus
03-03-2019, 05:39 PM
This.

All the Belgian player of the years have been on TFC’s radar forever. VV was supposed to be our DP when Seba happened. The contact may have been a panic but there’s little doubt he was on the radar as our next DP. Same goes for backup choice Hanni.

Also, we need to stop posting Dutch football tabloids.

Gringo Starr
03-03-2019, 07:28 PM
There must have been TFC contact with Pozo's camp prior to the 30th otherwise he likely would have signed his no movement agreement. We would have also checked in to make sure it was a move he was willing to commit to. Sucks for Genk but glad our management is getting us the piece we need.

OgtheDim
03-03-2019, 07:40 PM

The difference between moving quickly and "panic" is how much preparation went into picking the player to go for. I am satisfied that this is a good choice & that the timing had to be quick. It looks like the agent did his job by realising before the document was signed that TFC might have an interest if Seba moved.

notthesun
03-03-2019, 08:42 PM

That's for the official offer from the league though. I seriously doubt we hadn't spoken with Pozuelo's agent at all before that.

James17930
03-03-2019, 11:27 PM
It's actually going to be very interesting how we use Poz, given that, if we make it to the playoffs, he will have effectively played more than a season-and-a-half without an off-season.

We're going to have to employ some kind of Kawhi Leonard-style minutes-management to make sure he doesn't burn out or get injured.

stegosaurus
03-04-2019, 03:19 AM
That's for the official offer from the league though. I seriously doubt we hadn't spoken with Pozuelo's agent at all before that.

Yep.

ensco
03-04-2019, 07:22 AM

I think you guys are right about this, upon reflection. They were probably talking to the agent before Jan 30.

I think deciding to “surprise” the team by waiting until the very end is the interesting part anyway. I have talked that part to death already, will leave it alone.

frantic
03-04-2019, 10:13 AM
It's official. he'll be joining March 18.

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2019/03/04/toronto-fc-signs-alejandro-pozuelo-designated-player/1

ensco
03-04-2019, 10:34 AM
WHITE SMOKE

Habemus Pozo

benito
03-04-2019, 10:48 AM
Finally!

rydermike
03-04-2019, 10:50 AM
WHITE SMOKE

Habemus Pozo

Can we rename the thread to that

Oldtimer
03-04-2019, 01:04 PM
WHITE SMOKE

Habemus Pozo

Can we rename the thread to that

Lol. Love the humour.

Ok. Let's be honest. Pozo is here for the $$$. He's not only about the cash, he won't do Saudi or China, but if a Liga MX side ponies up the cash, we could lose him just as fast as Giovinco.

So let's enjoy him while he's here, but developing key academy players and searching for future foreign prospects needs to be the ongoing focus.

ensco
03-04-2019, 01:09 PM
^There is no question about this. This is about money for all involved. Plus Pozo is only 27, he might well do Saudi or China as his last move, as Vazquez and Gio both did.

Part of Manning's sales pitch to his bosses has to be that there is a chance they can re-sell the player at a meaningful number (maybe not 10M but perhaps 5M or something, I mean look at LAG getting $3.5M for Kamara). If you sold Pozo after 3 years for $5M, he would have only cost $18M total or something, not the full $30M they have committed for.

Kaz
03-04-2019, 02:18 PM
Lol. Love the humour.

I don't get it? White Smoke? is that a Spanish or Belgian football thing I just don't get because I don't watch Euro Leagues?

Hamilton_Red
03-04-2019, 02:25 PM
It's a Catholic thing Kaz. It is how they announce that a new Pope has been chosen by the Cardinals. Black smoke...no decision...white smoke...we have new Pope.

ManUtd4ever
03-04-2019, 02:28 PM
Based on our lineup as it's currently constructed, I'm hoping that Pozuelo's vision and creativity on the pitch will be just what the doctor ordered.

We really needed a maestro and it looks like we've found one who's in his prime.

Huyton
03-04-2019, 02:38 PM
Jozy and Pozy...going to be great!

ensco
03-04-2019, 03:13 PM
It's a Catholic thing Kaz. It is how they announce that a new Pope has been chosen by the Cardinals. Black smoke...no decision...white smoke...we have new Pope.

When the Pope dies, the College of Cardinals meet behind closed doors to choose a new Pope. Often for days... it’s an ancient tradition to let people know if they are still meeting (black smoke) or if they are done (white smoke). Big crowds, thousands, gather in the streets to watch the smoke colour.

When they are done, a Senior Cardinal announces to the thousands from the balcony of St Peters: Habemus Papam! (We have a Pope, in Latin)

Kaz
03-04-2019, 05:36 PM

I know how they select a new pope... so it makes sense now... of course this being about football, a Spanish player, in a Belgian league coming to Canada my WASP brain literally did not put that together until you pointed it out as it makes literally no sense. Victor was a great player for us but his replacement isn't really "pope" level. If you gave me 30 guesses I don't know I would have got that without hints.

ensco
03-04-2019, 10:00 PM
Based on the two games we watched against Slavia (especially the first one).... Pozo does something often that I really think will work for Altidore, which is different than what VV or Seba did.

He looks to split CBs with perfectly weighted grasscutting long balls, and tries it a lot. Reminded me of Luka Modric. Even when it doesn't work, it scares the crap out of defenders, and the mere threat of it creates space wide and pins defenders deep.

General Woolfe
03-04-2019, 10:39 PM
I must confess I’d never heard of this guy and his numbers are dreadful for a striker. 20 goals in 167 senior appearances with four different clubs doesn’t exactly fill you with confidence. This is no direct substitute for Giovinco no matter how much the front office labels him as a maestro.

Time will tell, and he might perhaps prove to be an adequate replacement for Vazquez, but he does not fill the gaping hole left by Seba’s departure. If only we’d renegotiated Giovinco’s contract immediately after our MLS Cup triumph, he’d still be with us imho. Instead the front office let the situation drag on and on and on. It’s clear in retrospect MLSE never had any intention of renewing Seba’s contract from the beginning.

Still, no use crying over spilt milk and if MLSE think the spending is over they’re in for a shock. The gaping hole left by Giovinco’s departure STILL needs to be filled. Hamilton is not a starter in MLS for me. TFCII maybe, fringe first team sub, perhaps, but he’s not someone we can rely on to get us goals on a regular basis. Bakero is pretty much the same, and would be nowhere near the 1st team if I was in charge. Altidore is continually struggling with injuries and we better pray he gets fir soon and stays that way, his near 50% scoring rate will be sorely needed this season. Boyd has done nothing since 2014. 5 goals in 42 games over twoseason for Darmstadt is hardy the numbers of a top class striker and indeed it can be argued that only his spell with Rapid Vienna when he netted 28 in 59 appearance over two seasons being his career high point. He doesn’t inspire confidence that he will come close to the contribution Giovinco made to our club. If Ali Curtis thinks he’s “the answer” to where we’re heading, then I think we need to change direction.

MLSE need to stop pissing about with sub-par signings and replace Séba properly or we looking at a return to the dark days of 2015 and earlier

Auzzy
03-04-2019, 10:50 PM
I must confess I’d never heard of this guy and his numbers are dreadful for a striker.

He's not a striker, he's a top-notch midfielder, who provides a bit of secondary scoring via long shots or overlapping runs, to keep the opposing defence stretched and guessing. TFC won't have two strikers anymore. It's Altidore, plus two wingers who will also be expected to score. There will be no like-for-like replacement of Seba.

Personally I think lots of things haven't gone as well as they could have, but I don't think we need to worry about Pozuelo. Have you watched some of his highlights or games? It's worth your time. Folks are saying he's currently the 2nd-best player in the Belgian league.

Personally I don't think we have enough cover for Altidore if he is injured / needs a break / is playing for the USMNT. We shall see.

Ultra & Proud
03-04-2019, 11:01 PM
People need to stop thinking the team is some plug and play system where you have to directly replace any parts that are gone. It's a new system, with new players, and a new focal point. Fact is that if your team depended on one guy for everything, no matter how great that player was, your team wasn't great and could be defended against easier because you shut that guy down and the offense sputters. Now hopefully Pozo can one up VV and make the players around him that much better just like VV definitely did with Osorio.

My hope isn't to have one guy have to be responsible for 1/3 of our output anymore. Not every team has a Giovinco and some manage to be consistently successful with a decent cast of players all pitching in.

James17930
03-04-2019, 11:26 PM
People need to stop thinking the team is some plug and play system where you have to directly replace any parts that are gone. It's a new system, with new players, and a new focal point. Fact is that if your team depended on one guy for everything, no matter how great that player was, your team wasn't great and could be defended against easier because you shut that guy down and the offense sputters. Now hopefully Pozo can one up VV and make the players around him that much better just like VV definitely did with Osorio.

My hope isn't to have one guy have to be responsible for 1/3 of our output anymore. Not every team has a Giovinco and some manage to be consistently successful with a decent cast of players all pitching in.

+1 +1

metaxa
03-05-2019, 02:55 AM
Pozuelo is classified as 2nd best player in Belgium league but cant get a sniff for Spain international level. Makes me wonder

RealG-TFC
03-05-2019, 03:34 AM
Pozuelo is classified as 2nd best player in Belgium league but cant get a sniff for Spain international level. Makes me wonder

Because they're stacked. If players the likes of Suso and Callejon barely feature for the national team, there's no way Poz is.

ForzaGenk
03-05-2019, 06:34 AM

Not selected for Spain for World Cup 2018: Morata, Marcos Alonso, Bellerin, Fabregas, Pedro, Sergi Roberto, Javi Martinez, Bartra, Callejon,...

So what's your point? You wouldn't want any of these players at Toronto? Years ago, the national squad used to consist of almost only Barça and Real Madrid players.

Defoe
03-05-2019, 06:42 AM
Not selected for Spain for World Cup 2018: Morata, Marcos Alonso, Bellerin, Fabregas, Pedro, Sergi Roberto, Javi Martinez, Bartra, Callejon,...

So what's your point? You wouldn't want any of these players at Toronto? Years ago, the national squad used to consist of almost only Barça and Real Madrid players.

It’s sort of like Claude Giroux not making team Canada. Pozo is definitely good enough to be a top player for a La Liga team

Section_105
03-05-2019, 11:32 AM
I'm hoping this guy makes Jozy, Hams, Boyd etc. look like world beaters. If he can do for us what his skills promise this could be a fantastic addition.

still keeping my 7 - Vazquez jersey in high rotation though.

Next we scrounge up some TAM wingers to utilize the crazy space out wide this guy will create.

All this uncertainty this year is really making this quite exciting.

Ultra & Proud
03-05-2019, 11:45 AM
I agree and also I think this will fix at least one of our problems. Not sure if this will fix our speed in attacking but at least it will give us a different look. We kind of got caught being too predictable and the smart teams figured out how to defend against us. Hopefully Pozo has that good AM quality to drive the offense and dictate play.

ManUtd4ever
03-05-2019, 11:56 AM
I'm hoping this guy makes Jozy, Hams, Boyd etc. look like world beaters. If he can do for us what his skills promise this could be a fantastic addition.

still keeping my 7 - Vazquez jersey in high rotation though.

Next we scrounge up some TAM wingers to utilize the crazy space out wide this guy will create.

In retrospect, the surprise departures of Seba and VV may not have been the worst thing to happen to the franchise. They left a significant void in the lineup, but it also forced management to retool sooner than we anticipated. If we end up with younger capable replacements, we're better off in the long run.

jabbronies
03-05-2019, 12:09 PM
In retrospect, the surprise departures of Seba and VV may not have been the worst thing to happen to the franchise. They left a significant void in the lineup, but it also forced management to retool sooner than we anticipated. If we end up with younger capable replacements, we're better off in the long run.

This.

I think tanking last season also helped this transition. The bar for this season is very low. Just making the playoffs would be seen as a win and if we need to go bigger the following year, at least we'll have a good base to work off from.

paul-collins
03-06-2019, 12:39 PM
This.

I think tanking last season also helped this transition. The bar for this season is very low. Just making the playoffs would be seen as a win and if we need to go bigger the following year, at least we'll have a good base to work off from.
In a way it removes the stress to overperform - with essentially the 2017 roster back in place, we'd have had to truly test the narrative that last year was all down to injuries. (really, only Edwards, Beitashour and Hagglund are gone)

Now, with VV and Seba gone as well as vdW cast aside, we can just let the narrative of 2018 ride and not worry about it any more, and start thinking about the next dynasty.

Pozotivity!

Blizzard
03-06-2019, 03:55 PM
In a way it removes the stress to overperform - with essentially the 2017 roster back in place, we'd have had to truly test the narrative that last year was all down to injuries. (really, only Edwards, Beitashour and Hagglund are gone)

Now, with VV and Seba gone as well as vdW cast aside, we can just let the narrative of 2018 ride and not worry about it any more, and start thinking about the next dynasty.

Pozotivity!

Nico Hasler is also missed. His versatility and professionalism was of huge benefit to TFC in the year of the treble and the 2018 CCL.

paul-collins
03-06-2019, 04:06 PM
I'll grant that

jabbronies
03-06-2019, 04:22 PM

Pozotivity!

Nico Hasler is also missed. His versatility and professionalism was of huge benefit to TFC in the year of the treble and the 2018 CCL.

Add Armando Cooper, Tsubasa Endoh and Benoit Cheyrou to that missing list.

You could argue that the following players barely factored into the season at all.
(Starting 11 players average about 2700 minutes a season)

Drew Moor only played 568/3060 minutes
Jozy Altidore only played: 877/3060 minutes
Chris Mavinga only played: 935/3060 minutes

and to further that, these guys only played about 1/3 of the season

Vazquez 1440 /3060 minutes
Morrow 1790 /3060 minutes

People don't realize the significant amount of time Starting 11 players in key roles did not feature in 2018.

Blizzard
03-06-2019, 05:17 PM

You could argue that the following players barely factored into the season at all.

People don't realize the significant amount of time Starting 11 players in key roles did not feature in 2018.

Endoh is back of course and although Cheyroux had extremely limited minutes in 2017, he was a very important player and person plus he made the key interception that led to the Vazquez goal in the MLS Cup Final. He finished on a high note and it's a shame he didn't stay in Toronto. He'll be a fine coach one day.

paul-collins
03-07-2019, 09:04 AM
Sorry, didn't mean to derail the discussion here - I absolutely agree that the limited minutes of the starting 11, which are all down to injuries (freak and/or cumulative stress over the two seasons + CCL previous), were THE story of last year.

What I meant to say was that, if VV and Seba were still in the lineup this year, you'd have to start expecting that, with the resulting starting 11, some people would have expectations that we'd work our way back to a similar dominant position - after all, it would look very similar (Auro for Beitashour being the only immediate change). And any failure to reach that dominant position might tarnish the reputation of the 2017 squad - at least as far as the "best season/best team" statements went.

I know, I know, it was hyperbolic, but it was a nice thing to say to ourselves up until we lost the CCL penalties.

What I want to focus on is how we shape up now. 2017 is truly gone now, it is part of our history, not part of our present.

I for one am excited to see how things unfold as this team learns to play together.

Section_105
03-07-2019, 09:31 AM
Pozuelo highlights on Youtube are a fun rabbit hole.

not posting links due to the recent rick-rolling that I was a victim of :)

Hopefully the team is watching all the tape and trying to anticipate the kinds of passes that will be coming their way.

TFC1154ever
03-07-2019, 12:59 PM
What I’m excited for is someone in our midfield who can actually hit one from distance. I don’t think as a club we have ever had someone who could consistently do that (maybe Aketxe). Will keep teams honest. No one respects Bradley, Osario, or Bradley from distance. Pozo will though, and that will create a little space in the box

C.Ronaldo
03-07-2019, 03:44 PM
What I’m excited for is someone in our midfield who can actually hit one from distance. I don’t think as a club we have ever had someone who could consistently do that (maybe Aketxe). Will keep teams honest. No one respects Bradley, Osario, or Bradley from distance. Pozo will though, and that will create a little space in the box

that coulda be Quaresma, old man from distance on the outside foot, all day

C.Ronaldo
03-07-2019, 03:50 PM

key depth/role players were playing at all time highs which i doubt we can see again
Bono
Delgado
Osorio (maybe we'll see him again)
Ricketts
Cheyrou (always good)
Morgan
Zaveleta
Nick "start the car best trade of 2019" Hagglund
Cooper
Hasler
Edwards

jabbronies
03-07-2019, 04:06 PM
Pozuelo will be decent for us. Now it's up to the strikers to finish what he delivers to them. That'll be the big story line this year.

I'm not worried about Jozy finishing, I'm worried about him being healthy.
Everyone else is under scrutiny from me right now.

UltraFootyKWC
03-07-2019, 06:50 PM
Pozuelo will be decent for us. Now it's up to the strikers to finish what he delivers to them. That'll be the big story line this year.

I'm not worried about Jozy finishing, I'm worried about him being healthy.
Everyone else is under scrutiny from me right now.

I agree. I am not convinced by any of the strikers so far. I really want Hamilton to have a breakout year but he can't seem to maintain any consistency. This could be a big year for him. He needs to step up.

Boyd has made just about the worst first impression possible for a new striker. And Akinola is way too raw yet.If Jozy can't stay healthy we could be in trouble up top.

jabbronies
03-08-2019, 11:35 AM
I agree. I am not convinced by any of the strikers so far. I really want Hamilton to have a breakout year but he can't seem to maintain any consistency. This could be a big year for him. He needs to step up.

Boyd has made just about the worst first impression possible for a new striker. And Akinola is way too raw yet.If Jozy can't stay healthy we could be in trouble up top.

The good thing is, we are not reeeeeeally handcuffed yet in terms of being able to bring in a striker in the Summer transfer window if needed. Once GvW goes off the books, we should be good.

notthesun
03-10-2019, 02:18 PM
Pozuelo Watch: He played 88 minutes today in his last home game for Genk as they won 1-0. Some applauded and some jeered when he was subbed off. One more game with Genk before he arrives.

stegosaurus
03-10-2019, 04:47 PM
The good thing is, we are not reeeeeeally handcuffed yet in terms of being able to bring in a striker in the Summer transfer window if needed. Once GvW goes off the books, we should be good.

Ricketts was our backup striker before and we managed just fine.

The question is whether or not the formation changes. If we play with wingers (which seems to be the intention) then there’s no need (and no budget with which) to sign a talented striker as backup.

No way they sign a new striker after renewing Jozy’s contract and implying a change in formation that makes a secondary striker superfluous. Boyd, Akinola, and Hamilton are the backups.

Auzzy
03-10-2019, 11:25 PM
Pozuelo Watch: He played 88 minutes today in his last home game for Genk as they won 1-0. Some applauded and some jeered when he was subbed off. One more game with Genk before he arrives.

I'm just watching the highlights from the Genk - Lokeren game. Wow it's good that Genk won in the end, because another obvious goal was not awarded to Genk in the 43rd minute. The ball was so obviously over the line. I forget there are still important leagues that don't have video review OR goal-line tech.

Pozuelo was involved with Genk's one goal, and with most of their other chances as well.

jabbronies
03-11-2019, 09:41 AM
Ricketts was our backup striker before and we managed just fine.

The question is whether or not the formation changes. If we play with wingers (which seems to be the intention) then there’s no need (and no budget with which) to sign a talented striker as backup.

No way they sign a new striker after renewing Jozy’s contract and implying a change in formation that makes a secondary striker superfluous. Boyd, Akinola, and Hamilton are the backups.

This is true. The focus should be on wingers at this point I agree.

ForzaGenk
03-14-2019, 10:40 AM
I'm just watching the highlights from the Genk - Lokeren game. Wow it's good that Genk won in the end, because another obvious goal was not awarded to Genk in the 43rd minute. The ball was so obviously over the line. I forget there are still important leagues that don't have video review OR goal-line tech.

Pozuelo was involved with Genk's one goal, and with most of their other chances as well.

Well that was the funny part, there definitely is a VAR system (no goal line tech) in Belgium and also in that match. But hey welcome to Belgian competition:

The communication line between the VAR and the referee was not working for already more then 30 mins at the moment of the ball over the line, could have been because of the extreme storm weather that day. As backup they have "walkietalkies" but they only worked for 7 mins during the match and were also broken.

That means that for more then 30 mins they haven't found a third communication option between the VAR and one of the pitch referees in this modern society we are living in.
Side note: The VAR-van was just outside the stadium and was only 150 meters walking for the 4th referee. In stead of being able to fix the communication problem in this 30 mins or one of the referees that just ran to the VAR-van to watch the crucial moment; they chose to do absolutely nothing.

Just to show you again what kind of details can decide whether you will be champions in Belgium or not with our playoffsystem in mind. Imagine losing your best player :)

I personally don't understand why there were people even cheering for Pozuelo, neither I understand why our coach kept on putting him in the line-up and showing to our competitors that even at home against a team that is already relegated to 2nd division, we can not live without Pozuelo apparantly. In a couple weeks we suddenly need to play against the top 5 teams and battling for the title without Pozo and with not a single minute practiced without him.

I still expect that Pozo will not start that last game since the return of Sander Berge and probably we finally can play with our midfield Malinovsky - Heynen - Berge. Another possible reason he kept on putting Pozo in the line-up is to make sure we have the Europa League qualification round ticket by winning the regular competition which we won now. But that ticket you already have when you end 4th or 5th in that playoffs of 6 teams, so it remains ridiculous to start with Pozo all the time.

Now it's definitely time to start life after Pozo and making the team ready without him.

Canary10
03-14-2019, 11:24 AM
Well that was the funny part, there definitely is a VAR system (no goal line tech) in Belgium and also in that match. But hey welcome to Belgian competition:

The communication line between the VAR and the referee was not working for already more then 30 mins at the moment of the ball over the line, could have been because of the extreme storm weather that day. As backup they have "walkietalkies" but they only worked for 7 mins during the match and were also broken.

That means that for more then 30 mins they haven't found a third communication option between the VAR and one of the pitch referees in this modern society we are living in.
Side note: The VAR-van was just outside the stadium and was only 150 meters walking for the 4th referee. In stead of being able to fix the communication problem in this 30 mins or one of the referees that just ran to the VAR-van to watch the crucial moment; they chose to do absolutely nothing.

Just to show you again what kind of details can decide whether you will be champions in Belgium or not with our playoffsystem in mind. Imagine losing your best player :)

I personally don't understand why there were people even cheering for Pozuelo, neither I understand why our coach kept on putting him in the line-up and showing to our competitors that even at home against a team that is already relegated to 2nd division, we can not live without Pozuelo apparantly. In a couple weeks we suddenly need to play against the top 5 teams and battling for the title without Pozo and with not a single minute practiced without him.

I still expect that Pozo will not start that last game since the return of Sander Berge and probably we finally can play with our midfield Malinovsky - Heynen - Berge. Another possible reason he kept on putting Pozo in the line-up is to make sure we have the Europa League qualification round ticket by winning the regular competition which we won now.

Now it's definitely time to start life after Pozo and making the team ready without him.

I feel for you.

I still have some questions about the mentality of a player who leaves his team right before the playoffs are about to begin. And with European Champions League riding on it. If the shoe were on the other foot, I guarantee people here would be screaming. This is far "worse" than what Giovinco did in my opinion. I guess we'll see.

I am looking forward to seeing him. Really has an eye for the pass from what I've seen. Jozy will benefit tremendously. I think maybe a record goals season for him.

ForzaGenk
03-14-2019, 12:05 PM
I feel for you.

I still have some questions about the mentality of a player who leaves his team right before the playoffs are about to begin. And with European Champions League riding on it. If the shoe were on the other foot, I guarantee people here would be screaming. This is far "worse" than what Giovinco did in my opinion. I guess we'll see.

I am looking forward to seeing him. Really has an eye for the pass from what I've seen. Jozy will benefit tremendously. I think maybe a record goals season for him.

I guess there won't be another team that triples his salary again watching his age, so you'll all probably be able to enjoy his quality on the pitch for some years. Although there was ofcourse a lot of hate from many Genkfans towards him during the last matches, he remained an exceptional player and for me he still played decent even with his head in another continent.

Our striker Samatta has now already 20 goals in competition (should have been 21). I don't know about Jozy but if it is a striker who is smart in movement ( quick running behind back of central defenders, a nose for the free spot in front of goal, strong with the head between central defenders,...) , he will definitely have some goals assisted by Pozo. But Pozo mostly gives the pre-assist I think like Hazard also does with Chelsea: starts the attack by dribbleing between 2 players, finding the free guy on the wing who gives the assist for our striker.

Section_105
03-14-2019, 12:49 PM
I guess there won't be another team that triples his salary again watching his age, so you'll all probably be able to enjoy his quality on the pitch for some years. Although there was ofcourse a lot of hate from many Genkfans towards him during the last matches, he remained an exceptional player and for me he still played decent even with his head in another continent.

Our striker Samatta has now already 20 goals in competition (should have been 21). I don't know about Jozy but if it is a striker who is smart in movement ( quick running behind back of central defenders, a nose for the free spot in front of goal, strong with the head between central defenders,...) , he will definitely have some goals assisted by Pozo. But Pozo mostly gives the pre-assist I think like Hazard also does with Chelsea: starts the attack by dribbleing between 2 players, finding the free guy on the wing who gives the assist for our striker.

We put him in a tough position as if we didn't get the contract signed we may have gone to someone else and he might not get the same salary increase. Very tough position for everyone.

Hopefully the rest of your team gets motivated by the common goal of becoming champions without him. And hopefully he will spark us back to being champions.

Thank you for the update on the VAR situation at that game. Football isn't perfect no matter how hard we try.

I'm going to need a Genk away jersey with his name on it. Want to do a jersey swap? I'll mail you any of the TFC jersey you wish in exchange for an XL Black Pozuelo one :)

https://webshop.krcgenk.be/en/product/detail/matchday-jersey-adult-/2273499?colour=127606

Our last year 2018 jerseys and 2019 on this page - http://www.torontofcstore.ca/Toronto_FC_Jerseys

If you want to then send me a message,

ForzaGenk
03-14-2019, 01:15 PM
We put him in a tough position as if we didn't get the contract signed we may have gone to someone else and he might not get the same salary increase. Very tough position for everyone.

Hopefully the rest of your team gets motivated by the common goal of becoming champions without him. And hopefully he will spark us back to being champions.

Thank you for the update on the VAR situation at that game. Football isn't perfect no matter how hard we try.

I'm going to need a Genk away jersey with his name on it. Want to do a jersey swap? I'll mail you any of the TFC jersey you wish in exchange for an XL Black Pozuelo one :)

https://webshop.krcgenk.be/en/product/detail/matchday-jersey-adult-/2273499?colour=127606

Our last year 2018 jerseys and 2019 on this page - http://www.torontofcstore.ca/Toronto_FC_Jerseys

If you want to then send me a message,

Again, It's not necessarely the fact that he chose for the money that frustrates the fans, because that's how football goes and he is definitely not the only one, but mainly the timing and the "how" he left. He had the same salary offer already in the end of december/ begin january from Al Ahly. A soap that lasted untill one of the last weeks of january (31 jan. closure of our transfer periode FYI). Around the 20th january he gives a press conference stating that he will stay loyal to the club. During the soap in january Genk probably had some back up nr. 10's in mind but after the press conference (and the agreement on mail?) everyone was full focus on battleing for that title with Pozo.

Suddenly after our transfer period ends with no possiblity of replacing him (except for garbage out of contract), Pozo goes in full legal fight with the club to leave and put a knife in the back of the club, the fans and his colleague players where some of them could also make a huge transfer but chose to go for that title.

And I'm sorry I don't have a jersey of Pozuelo. I suggest you try perhaps with the fanshop of Genk or you might try with someone at the Genk forum before he burnes his jersey, but I'm afraid you will get very annoying reactions (or risk to be banned immediately) if a TFC fan asks for a jersey of Pozo to be fair ;)

Section_105
03-14-2019, 01:18 PM
And I'm sorry I don't have a jersey of Pozuelo. I suggest you try perhaps with the fanshop of Genk or you might try with someone at the Genk forum before he burnes his jersey, but I'm afraid you will get very annoying reactions (or risk to be banned immediately) if a TFC fan asks for a jersey of Pozo to be fair ;)

This made me laugh. So true. And I can't blame them.

Auzzy
03-14-2019, 02:19 PM

Wow thanks for the insight on the VAR, that's amazing -- and not in a good way! They should have tried smoke signals to communicate. ;) But shit happens I guess! For example, the LA Galaxy have lost all power to their stadium a couple of times in the middle of games -- even playoffs. And our pitch has been a disaster more often than not, ever since the club was founded 13 years ago...

The one thing I can imagine, is losing your best player. ;) I'm not too happy the way it all went down, TFC could have planned & timed things better to cause less grief for everyone. But I want to avoid restarting that conversation on this board!!! Hopefully some other guys at Genk step up with Pozo gone. In the little bit of your games that I saw, you do seem to have a number of other creative players. Fingers crossed!

snowcrash
03-14-2019, 03:09 PM
Again, It's not necessarely the fact that he chose for the money that frustrates the fans, because that's how football goes and he is definitely not the only one, but mainly the timing and the "how" he left. He had the same salary offer already in the end of december/ begin january from Al Ahly. A soap that lasted untill one of the last weeks of january (31 jan. closure of our transfer periode FYI). Around the 20th january he gives a press conference stating that he will stay loyal to the club. During the soap in january Genk probably had some back up nr. 10's in mind but after the press conference (and the agreement on mail?) everyone was full focus on battleing for that title with Pozo.

Suddenly after our transfer period ends with no possiblity of replacing him (except for garbage out of contract), Pozo goes in full legal fight with the club to leave and put a knife in the back of the club, the fans and his colleague players where some of them could also make a huge transfer but chose to go for that title.

Hey, ForzaGenk, your insights are much appreciated. Question for you. Who would you choose for Genk between the MVP version of Victor Vasquez and Pozo?

ForzaGenk
03-15-2019, 04:22 AM
Difficult one because also Vasquez was in Belgium a very good player. I guess it depends on what kind of attacking midfielder you need.

I believe that Pozo is more constant/persistent in his performance with rarely bad matches while Vasquez had some very small periods in Belgium he was even on the bench. I didn't follow his progress at TFC though so no idea how he evolved.
Technique they are similar and both extremely well in passing, but vasquez has definitely more goal instinct then Pozo. Pozo is more that Iniesta-type that will always search for the free teammate while Vasquez wouldn't doubt to shoot in front of the box and has a good shot.

If you miss some goal accuracy in your team and you have enough creative players you might go for Vasquez but if not I would always go for Pozo who will create more chances.

snowcrash
03-15-2019, 07:25 AM
Difficult one because also Vasquez was in Belgium a very good player. I guess it depends on what kind of attacking midfielder you need.

I believe that Pozo is more constant/persistent in his performance with rarely bad matches while Vasquez had some very small periods in Belgium he was even on the bench. I didn't follow his progress at TFC though so no idea how he evolved.
Technique they are similar and both extremely well in passing, but vasquez has definitely more goal instinct then Pozo. Pozo is more that Iniesta-type that will always search for the free teammate while Vasquez wouldn't doubt to shoot in front of the box and has a good shot.

If you miss some goal accuracy in your team and you have enough creative players you might go for Vasquez but if not I would always go for Pozo who will create more chances.

Uhh, TFC has no creative players currently. During TFC's championship season, VV was pure class. He just saw the field so well so but he also had some important goals. Sounds like if Altidore can stay healthy, he and Pozo could be a lethal combination.

ensco
03-15-2019, 12:06 PM
Bit of soap.

Pozo has the flu (the magic flu you get when you read the fine print on the insurance contract?). He is unlikely to play Sunday.

Canary10
03-15-2019, 12:27 PM
Bit of soap.

Pozo has the flu (the magic flu you get when you read the fine print on the insurance contract?). He is unlikely to play Sunday.

I prefer to call it the "flu."

Red CB Toronto
03-15-2019, 01:15 PM
Who is up for welcoming him to Toronto at the airport when he lands?

FootBallAZ
03-15-2019, 10:00 PM
When

James17930
03-16-2019, 02:05 AM
Bit of soap.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's in the stands at BMO on Sunday.

Mikmacdo
03-16-2019, 09:23 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if he's in the stands at BMO on Sunday.
I don't think he's flying over until mid next week.

Auzzy
03-16-2019, 10:47 AM
Remember he's going back to Spain to take care of some business before coming to Toronto.

Also even if he has the "flu" I'm sure he has to stay in Genk until after their final league game. No way you spend weeks negotiating that, and then let me him just leave early.

Chubbs
03-17-2019, 12:38 PM
Warm send off from the fans:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D14E948WsAA3roh.jpg
https://twitter.com/liesceuppens/status/1107328027074220032

notthesun
03-17-2019, 12:43 PM
Jesus. That's way over the line.

reggie
03-17-2019, 12:51 PM
Alejandro Pozuelo update: The incoming #TFCLive (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFCLive?src=hash)https://abs.twimg.com/hashflags/MLS_19_TFC/MLS_19_TFC.png (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFCLive?src=hash) midfielder did not play his final match with Racing Genk on Sunday against Zulte Waregem. Repordly his absence has to do with his returning to Spain to be with his dying grandfather. Expected to join TFC this week.
from steve buffery

gcolacci
03-18-2019, 09:21 AM
I don't think he's flying over until mid next week.

Will the club let us know when he lands??
Would love to give him a grand reception.

Mateo1985
03-18-2019, 09:45 AM
What Genk fans did will fire Pozo up to deliver for us

James17930
03-21-2019, 08:44 AM
So he arrives on Friday?

If so, my guess is he trains with the team on the weekend and then they do the big official announcement on Monday.

Luanda
03-22-2019, 06:52 AM
The AC flight from Madrid arrives today at 4:40.
Could always be arriving from somewhere else, though.

Red CB Toronto
03-22-2019, 07:18 AM
The AC flight from Madrid arrives today at 4:40.
Could always be arriving from somewhere else, though.

Thats his flight direct from Spain.

James17930
03-22-2019, 08:45 AM
Are people going to be there to meet him?

Hamilton_Red
03-22-2019, 11:00 AM
Imagine the gnashing of teeth if we did that with Giovinco?

Warm send off from the fans:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D14E948WsAA3roh.jpg
https://twitter.com/liesceuppens/status/1107328027074220032

Auzzy
03-22-2019, 12:26 PM
Imagine the gnashing of teeth if we did that with Giovinco?

Yes, there would be much gnashing of teeth, as there should be.

Note also, the Pozo situation was much more extreme.

Luanda
03-22-2019, 05:17 PM
So has the eagle landed/arrived?
No rollerblade action?

OgtheDim
03-22-2019, 05:31 PM
https://twitter.com/MLeach680News/status/1109216709217525760

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL1C1TylHWc

catz4ever
03-22-2019, 06:13 PM
Instagram posts of Him at the airport!!!!

Luanda
03-22-2019, 06:13 PM
No show?

OgtheDim
03-22-2019, 06:14 PM
https://twitter.com/joshuakloke/status/1109230233419419649

James17930
03-22-2019, 08:24 PM
He's here!

https://torontosun.com/sports/soccer/mls/toronto-fc/the-maestro-pozuelo-touches-down-in-toronto (https://torontosun.com/sports/soccer/mls/toronto-fc/the-maestro-pozuelo-touches-down-in-toronto)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yH-t6sO0sM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1QD8DCLHaA

PizzaEatingYeti
03-23-2019, 07:38 AM
He's saying that Monday will be his first training with TFC.
That's 4 days of training with the rest of the Team till the match with NYCFC.

In these conditions I'll be very surprised if he'll get more than 30 minutes and as a sub in this coming match.

Too bad he could not move his arse here latest on Thursday, and putting in at least 6 training session til the NYCFC game.
He could have been a starter then, for sure...

ensco
03-23-2019, 07:46 AM
He'll start next Friday.

Soccer isnt that complicated.

He needs a few hours with Jozy, to have a basic idea on how to time runs. Which he will get.

Yohan
03-23-2019, 07:48 AM
Too bad he could not move his arse here latest on Thursday, and putting in at least 6 training session til the NYCFC game.
Too bad Pozo had family issues to deal with.

James17930
03-23-2019, 09:00 AM
He's saying that Monday will be his first training with TFC.
That's 4 days of training with the rest of the Team till the match with NYCFC.

In these conditions I'll be very surprised if he'll get more than 30 minutes and as a sub in this coming match.

He'll play at least 75 mins, easily.

Here's Jozy's quote about him from a Sun article:

“I think about that (Pozuelo arriving) every day. I think about how he’ll fit, how he’ll play. I think about if he’ll like it here, if he’ll like the guys. I’m very eager to meet him and I just hope he enjoys his time here,” Altidore said. “I think he’s going to be pleasantly surprised at the level (of play) and the facilities and what’s afforded to him, and the lifestyle that he’s going to be able to live, the relevance of the club and the city.
“And so I’m eager to see how he takes it all in and I’m really excited for him to get here and play with us.”

Red CB Toronto
03-23-2019, 09:15 AM
For anyone interested , his introductory press conference is Monday at 2:30 pm, pretty sure TFC will be streaming it.

Webdogg
03-23-2019, 09:37 AM
He's here!

https://torontosun.com/sports/soccer/mls/toronto-fc/the-maestro-pozuelo-touches-down-in-toronto (https://torontosun.com/sports/soccer/mls/toronto-fc/the-maestro-pozuelo-touches-down-in-toronto)

This is what’s extremely cool about this sport

PizzaEatingYeti
03-23-2019, 10:17 AM
He'll play at least 75 mins, easily.

Here's Jozy's quote about him from a Sun article:

“I think about that (Pozuelo arriving) every day. I think about how he’ll fit, how he’ll play. I think about if he’ll like it here, if he’ll like the guys. I’m very eager to meet him and I just hope he enjoys his time here,” Altidore said. “I think he’s going to be pleasantly surprised at the level (of play) and the facilities and what’s afforded to him, and the lifestyle that he’s going to be able to live, the relevance of the club and the city.
“And so I’m eager to see how he takes it all in and I’m really excited for him to get here and play with us.”

Really good stuff from Jozy!

:scarf:

RealG-TFC
03-23-2019, 10:33 AM
What a leader, so happy to have him back.

OgtheDim
03-23-2019, 12:02 PM
Wearing the shirt.

Might actually be for real

https://mobile.twitter.com/torontofc/status/1109499768819105792

TheSloanRanger
03-23-2019, 12:33 PM
looks like he’ll be wearing #10.... if the early comparisons and “shoe filling” comments weren’t enough

MightyDM
03-23-2019, 12:55 PM
He'll start next Friday.

Soccer isnt that complicated.

He needs a few hours with Jozy, to have a basic idea on how to time runs. Which he will get.

Starting him from the bench sends a nice message though. To him, and others. Well see Friday at about 7 pm

Hamilton_Red
03-23-2019, 12:56 PM
Really good stuff from Jozy!

:scarf: You really have to love the guy. Huge that he has basically committed the rest of his career to TFC.

Hamilton_Red
03-23-2019, 12:57 PM
Poz arriving in mid-season fitness and ready to go - it is great situation for us.

shwade
03-23-2019, 01:16 PM
Poz arriving in mid-season fitness and ready to go - it is great situation for us.

"load management" is needed... he played a full season in Belgium already plus shitty turfs in MLS.

ensco
03-23-2019, 01:17 PM
Starting him from the bench sends a nice message though. To him, and others. Well see Friday at about 7 pm

Starting Chapman instead of the Belgian player of the year.... sends a message about the IQ of the manager. For me anyway.

Red CB Toronto
03-23-2019, 01:24 PM
Starting Chapman instead of the Belgian player of the year.... sends a message about the IQ of the manager. For me anyway.

No question he starts this upcoming no question, short of an injury this week in training.

ManUtd4ever
03-23-2019, 02:25 PM
He's here!

Love it.

James17930
03-23-2019, 07:03 PM
"load management" is needed... he played a full season in Belgium already plus shitty turfs in MLS.

True, but not yet.

They can 'manage his load' in the summer.

Mikmacdo
03-23-2019, 07:55 PM
True, but not yet.

Hes kind of had a break recently since the negotiations of a transfer he came off the bench for some games and now has had 2-3 weeks off? I think he will be fine without much rest hes 27.

Fort York Redcoat
03-24-2019, 08:55 AM
True, but not yet.

O gawd

TFC1986
03-24-2019, 09:50 AM
I'm very excited for him. Was watching YouTube videos of him yesterday

ensco
03-24-2019, 09:54 AM
The load issue is very real, it took down the whole team in 2018 (remember we only had 6 weeks off, then played a double load).

I think it's an issue for the summer though. That is when the trouble would start, if there was any.

OgtheDim
03-24-2019, 10:35 AM
Vanney has already talked about managing his load.

He should be held back from the Orlando game, for example & I could see him not travelling to RSL.

We have away games out west with Vancouver, Seattle, LAG, LAFC, Dallas & RSL. I suspect Poz will only do 3 of those.

Auzzy
03-24-2019, 11:14 AM
If/when they get in one or two new wingers, it will also help with managing Pozuelo's load. It lets them lineup different ways, or even change the formation for part of a game, to give Pozuelo whole or partial games off when needed. And a quality winger adds another scoring threat.

notthesun
03-24-2019, 05:50 PM
Pozo gets the new signing Raptors treatment. Courtside with Ali Curtis today vs. Charlotte and gets a shoutout on the jumbotron.

https://i.imgur.com/zM2PlPm.png?1

Auzzy
03-24-2019, 06:55 PM
Pozo gets the new signing Raptors treatment. Courtside with Ali Curtis today vs. Charlotte and gets a shoutout on the jumbotron.

In Toronto, that's when we officially have white smoke; the transfersoap is over; and the rollerblades can be packed away until next time.

James17930
03-24-2019, 09:28 PM

He seems slightly shell-schocked by all the attention so far. I hope it doesn't throw him off his game.

RealG-TFC
03-25-2019, 01:45 AM
He seems slightly shell-schocked by all the attention so far. I hope it doesn't throw him off his game.

I'm sure he'll be fine but it does look like he's surprised being in the spotlight, he strikes me as a way more private person than our previous #10.

PizzaEatingYeti
03-25-2019, 03:11 AM

The bearded dude (in the white T shirt) in the row immediate above Poz:

... "Who the fuck is this dude?
... What is Toronto FC?"

OgtheDim
03-25-2019, 05:48 AM
"Damn...he's wearing a wedding ring"

Brooker
03-25-2019, 07:04 AM

Winner, Gagnant.

DinamoTFC
03-25-2019, 08:42 AM

Wrong hand. Maybe hes left handed so he's wearing his watch on right arm. But ring not sure. Spanish don't wear it on right hand.

Richard
03-25-2019, 09:11 AM
In Toronto, that's when we officially have white smoke; the transfersoap is over; and the rollerblades can be packed away until next time.

Haha so true, all we needed was Drake, but Marc is good too.

https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/1109930096830398464

shwade
03-25-2019, 09:50 AM

He wont get this much attention anywhere else - reminds me of when Defoe came and he was revelling in the attention he (and Bradley) received at the Raps game. He thought it'd be like that everywhere he went and when he realised it wasn't he was gone.

jabbronies
03-25-2019, 10:29 AM
The load issue is very real, it took down the whole team in 2018 (remember we only had 6 weeks off, then played a double load).

I think it's an issue for the summer though. That is when the trouble would start, if there was any.

Isn't there a break for the Gold Cup this year?

OgtheDim
03-25-2019, 10:56 AM
Isn't there a break for the Gold Cup this year?

Two weeks between games in June.

Followed by 3 games in 7 days

Away in Dallas

Home vs. Atlanta

Away in DC

5 days later - away vs LAG

No rest really.

SoccMan2
03-25-2019, 11:01 AM
The bearded dude (in the white T shirt) in the row immediate above Poz:

... "Who the fuck is this dude?
... What is Toronto FC?"
So I guess when new Raptor signings or Leaf signings are brought to TFC games and introduced to the fans at BMO Field we will know that TFC has hit the big time in Toronto and taken seriously like the other 3 big Toronto sports teams lol.

MightyDM
03-25-2019, 12:31 PM

Team first. I don't mind if he starts, I am excited to see him play, but it is normal for new acquisitions to start from the bench. Send the message that the team is equal. Except for Ronaldo.

MightyDM
03-25-2019, 12:32 PM

Also the injuries suffered by players who went to the knockout round of the world cup - it is quite extraordinary in the Premier League - almost all of them . Over use.

jabbronies
03-25-2019, 01:06 PM
Two weeks between games in June.

Followed by 3 games in 7 days

Away in Dallas
Home vs. Atlanta
Away in DC

5 days later - away vs LAG

No rest really.

I guess they would hope not to use him for the Canadian Championship as well.

Joe Kool
03-25-2019, 01:18 PM
Anyone know what time this press conference is supposed to start? I clicked the link on the TFC website but nothing happening so assuming it has not started yet.

leafsman
03-25-2019, 01:20 PM
Anyone know what time this press conference is supposed to start? I clicked the link on the TFC website but nothing happening so assuming it has not started yet.

2:30

Joe Kool
03-25-2019, 01:23 PM
2:30

Excellent dude thanks....

OgtheDim
03-25-2019, 01:40 PM
For posterity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLIl4ZvHQl4

jabbronies
03-25-2019, 01:48 PM
Poz saying it like it is.

(Not word for word but)
Basically saying he didn't go to Saudi Arabia because he feels his family, specifically his wife, wouldn't be treated well.

OgtheDim
03-25-2019, 01:57 PM
FWIW

4 year no release contract

SuperTCP
03-25-2019, 01:59 PM

(Not word for word but)
Basically saying he didn't go to Saudi Arabia because he feels his family, specifically his wife, wouldn't be treated well.

That and he doesn't like the soccer played there - stated he had no interest. He prefers soccer at MLS :)

Joe Kool
03-25-2019, 02:18 PM

(Not word for word but)

Seems like what everyone else aside from Giovinco and I guess Vazquez think as well. Good on him for being honest about it. Now that the presser is done I can't wait for Friday's game.

jabbronies
03-25-2019, 03:05 PM
That and he doesn't like the soccer played there - stated he had no interest. He prefers soccer at MLS :)

he likes Major League Soccer Soccer

Super
03-25-2019, 03:37 PM
Did anyone see this clip? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75FhOnQ9BXY

Seems like a Dutch comedy sketch show, and Pozuelo was the target a while back.

Red CB Toronto
03-25-2019, 04:26 PM
Nicely settled in between Nick Deleon and Liam Fraser in the locker room. Can't wait til Friday for his debut.

https://scontent-ams3-1.cdninstagram.com/vp/ca44db9bec3a71488ca3b087167586c0/5D298681/t51.2885-15/e35/53405501_2008476129446144_1216998753492647987_n.jp g?_nc_ht=scontent-ams3-1.cdninstagram.com

DinamoTFC
03-25-2019, 05:20 PM

(Not word for word but)

Refreshing to hear a footballer say it.

noimpactinmtl
03-25-2019, 05:34 PM
So I guess when new Raptor signings or Leaf signings are brought to TFC games and introduced to the fans at BMO Field we will know that TFC has hit the big time in Toronto and taken seriously like the other 3 big Toronto sports teams lol.

Siakim, Powell and Bebe last year are regulars at BMO Field.

stevep
03-25-2019, 05:39 PM

(Not word for word but)

also, very importantly he basically said the soccer is shite there and that he is too young and great still he wants to compete and play.
maybe when he is 32 he will go there.

Red CB Toronto
03-25-2019, 05:39 PM
Some of us supporters from earlier today down at BMO with POZ !!!

https://scontent-amt2-1.cdninstagram.com/vp/50c082cbaf866530048ced41bbfe3c1e/5C9B7FBA/t51.12442-15/e35/55827182_513442072521383_2572484109879987221_n.jpg ?_nc_ht=scontent-amt2-1.cdninstagram.com&se=7&ig_cache_key=MjAwNzYwMDUyMTYwMzc2NjE2Mg%3D%3D.2

stevep
03-25-2019, 05:41 PM
so now we are were basically 2017 tfc minus beita and seba
add ciman and deleon and an impoved osorio

Red CB Toronto
03-25-2019, 08:24 PM
So MLSE is continuing to showoff Pozuelo, this time at the Leafs game tonight.

https://scontent.fymy1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/56264366_2408358122530702_4184718307305193472_n.jp g?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ht=scontent.fymy1-1.fna&oh=6fb26d40fd7b772a9c11be1e5f990eb2&oe=5D0927CE

stegosaurus
03-25-2019, 08:32 PM
So MLSE is continuing to showoff Pozuelo, this time at the Leafs game tonight.

https://scontent.fymy1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/56264366_2408358122530702_4184718307305193472_n.jp g?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ht=scontent.fymy1-1.fna&oh=6fb26d40fd7b772a9c11be1e5f990eb2&oe=5D0927CE

“It’s cold. What is this sport. I want to go home.”

notthesun
03-25-2019, 09:01 PM
I gotta say TFC/MLSE has the whole "Welcome to the city" thing down pretty excellently the way they leverage their teams and media presence.

James17930
03-25-2019, 11:12 PM
Did anyone understand something he said in the press conference? One of the questions was 'Why did you want to leave Genk?' and his answer was something like 'they always play one guy behind me, I can't keep playing like that.'

What does that mean?

Blindside16
03-26-2019, 12:32 AM
I guess they would hope not to use him for the Canadian Championship as well.

I would think they would be looking at squad rotation. Our games for the Canadian Championship are Aug 7 & 14. The schedule around there is very congested.

Aug 3rd NYRB Away
Aug 7th Can Champ Away ( Either Vaughan, Halifax, Winnipeg or Ottawa)
Aug 10th Orlando Home
Aug 14th Can Champ Home
Aug 17th Columbus Away

RealG-TFC
03-26-2019, 01:00 AM
Did anyone understand something he said in the press conference? One of the questions was 'Why did you want to leave Genk?' and his answer was something like 'they always play one guy behind me, I can't keep playing like that.'

What does that mean?

I think he means he was being marked, or doule teamed.

James17930
03-26-2019, 02:38 AM
I think he means he was being marked, or doule teamed.

Well that could happen here too ... he'll have to learn how to work through it.

PizzaEatingYeti
03-26-2019, 03:23 AM

"Well that will happen here too ..."
(I felt I need to correct your mistake.)

ensco
03-26-2019, 05:47 AM
Gee Pozo, why did you leave?

The one thing you can be sure he is not going to say is: “they increased my salary 300%, gave me term, gave me security in case I get injured, gave me enough total dollars so that no matter what, I will never have to work again, I couldn’t be sure I would get that deal in the summer, and my family comes first, before my job. All of that matters more to me than Genk's season. Any of my teammates there would have done the same. Hell, I expect any of my new teammates here would do the same.”

Questions like that are kind of pointless gotcha exercises. If he spoke better English he could have fenced a bit, but Pozo was probably smart to play dumb, and just make something up, or answer a different question, or do whatever it is he did there.

jabbronies
03-26-2019, 08:59 AM
I gotta say TFC/MLSE has the whole "Welcome to the city" thing down pretty excellently the way they leverage their teams and media presence.

I wonder if Nick DeLeon got that treatment?

jabbronies
03-26-2019, 09:03 AM

I think it was more a "It was time for me to leave..." than anything else. I think he tried to give more detail than what his english could articulate.

I'm sure you've been at a job where you didn't agree with the way things were going and didn't like how you saw your role in the company playing out. If someone came and offered you triple the salary, I'm sure you would've taken it as well.

stegosaurus
03-26-2019, 11:13 AM
I wonder if Nick DeLeon got that treatment?

Couldn’t afford the Raps and Leafs tickets after paying for the tattoo removal of the DC United badge!

Ben - D.O.W.
03-26-2019, 12:54 PM
Couldn’t afford the Raps and Leafs tickets after paying for the tattoo removal of the DC United badge!

Apparently he actually has a collection for all the teams he's played for - so DC will be staying, and TFC will get added.

/back to Poz talk.

Chubbs
03-27-2019, 11:02 AM
Heres a great stat I came across on Twitter yesterday, in the 2018 calendar year, only one player in the world had more assists then Pozuelo.... Leo Messi.

https://i.imgur.com/ZVgYwci.png

https://twitter.com/MessiStats_/status/1074609615793467392 (https://twitter.com/MessiStats_/status/1074609615793467392)

magmadragon
03-27-2019, 11:51 AM
Heres a great stat I came across on Twitter yesterday, in the 2018 calendar year, only one player in the world had more assists then Pozuelo.... Leo Messi.

https://i.imgur.com/ZVgYwci.png

https://twitter.com/MessiStats_/status/1074609615793467392 (https://twitter.com/MessiStats_/status/1074609615793467392)

https://pics.me.me/stop-my-penis-can-only-get-so-erect-momegenerator-net-34264011.png

Richard
03-27-2019, 11:56 AM
I can imagine a scenario where we are top 3 by the end of the MLS season. Just need to sort the defense and I guarantee we will have another championship within 2 years.

trane
03-27-2019, 12:57 PM
We will make a championship run this year. Last year, was not about a lack of quality but about being tiered and injured. But this dude will have to be the linchpin in attack.

I hope that we are also looking a CDM to eventually take over the reigns from Bradley.

Chubbs
03-27-2019, 03:18 PM
One more stat to add to the Pozuelo hype:

https://i.imgur.com/JWDZHUO.png
https://twitter.com/StatmanDave/status/842702053566631936

OgtheDim
03-27-2019, 03:21 PM
Weather update

3 degrees, feeling like 0 - 40% chance of rain - winds turning around then to be out of the north but not that high at 10 km/hr with not much gusts

So, Toronto March football

Oh, and the BMO field guys said this week some grass started to grow of its own volition.

James17930
03-27-2019, 06:31 PM
We will make a championship run this year. Last year, was not about a lack of quality but about being tiered and injured. But this dude will have to be the linchpin in attack.

I hope that we are also looking a CDM to eventually take over the reigns from Bradley.

In theory that's supposed to be Liam Fraser, but obviously it's too early to know how he'll pan out.

notthesun
03-28-2019, 06:57 AM
Check out the latest Come On You Reds podcast - oral history of the Pozuelo transfersoap with Manning and Curtis as guests. I found it quite interesting. They went into about as much detail as they could reveal. For example they said another MLS club had Pozuelo on their discovery list and they had to manage that nonsense before the whole thing even started.

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2019/03/27/come-you-reds-podcast-episode-158

OgtheDim
03-28-2019, 07:48 AM
Good find..thanks.

Another interesting tidbit in all that - they had another target of a big player in LigaMx.

TFC1154ever
03-28-2019, 01:08 PM
Good find..thanks.

Another interesting tidbit in all that - they had another target of a big player in LigaMx.

That was one of the Monterey teams. Now we know why they were there in February.

motorheadfc
03-28-2019, 08:46 PM
That was one of the Monterey teams. Now we know why they were there in February.
KJ had posted that Eduardo Vargas was signed by TFC back on the 4th of feb. but took it down pretty quick. i wonder if anyone else saw that. i believe there was actually something going on there, mexico that is. i wonder if he would comment on that if asked? when you have money like mlse has you have the luxury of picking and choosing. glad they picked Poz.

OgtheDim
03-28-2019, 09:44 PM
KJ had posted that Eduardo Vargas was signed by TFC back on the 4th of feb. but took it down pretty quick. i wonder if anyone else saw that. i believe there was actually something going on there, mexico that is. i wonder if he would comment on that if asked? when you have money like mlse has you have the luxury of picking and choosing. glad they picked Poz.

I went back into the preseason transfer thread to try to find it & found nothing but it does sound vaguely familiar.

Reading that thread is interesting in light of the interview with Manning & Curtis done by Wheeler (I think it was actually done last week prior to Pozo getting here) about the whole process.

We didn't find out about Pozuelo until the 8th but they had been in serious discussions since before the end of January.

They talked about guys TFC were never connected to - I suspect that was the Sharaway rumours.

We all sounded so innocent back then - and it was only 7 weeks ago. :shocked:

I know that series against Independiente changed my perspective on TFC, but I didn't realise by how much.

DinamoTFC
03-28-2019, 11:27 PM

I remember a couple posters talking about that tweet. If thats the one that was posted and taken off right after the jersey launch at cn towner. It was for Jonathan Menendez

ensco
03-29-2019, 03:22 AM
There are holes in the narrative the Manning/Curtis tell in that podcast that were interesting (to me anyway).

They spent a lot of time and energy explaining how much they worked in a spirit of cooperation with Genk, and how they never said “the player is ours”, so much so that I believe getting that messaging out there was the whole point of this.

Methinks the lady doth protest too much. I believe Tanenbaum is highly sensitive to any charge of improper aggressiveness,and Manning seems very aware of that potential message track. Nevertheless, based on the fact that Manning/Curtis never addressed this, and Wheeler didn’t ask (like most sports reporters, he wouldn’t know enough to ask)...

TFC seemingly never asked Genk what the status of Pozo's release clause from Genk's perspective was prior to moving ahead with Pozo's agent, nor were they aware of the press Genk had done saying Pozo would stay.

Manning also glides through the process of paying 2M over the release clause, and implied he had the freedom to do that on the spot (ie on his own authority)... I highly doubt that, that's not credible. The commitment was 24M euros before increasing the transfer, that's higher than his annual operating budget. Who is he kidding? He would have had to “get” that authority in advance, and that must have been interesting...

I also found the part about Manning's relationship with D'Amico really interesting. That sounds credible to me. People want to blame agents, but I think Seba just wanted top dollar.

TheSloanRanger
03-29-2019, 10:45 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vNqIUb2RdGQ

skip to 1:36 ....there’s gotta be a chant in there somewhere

Mike_S
03-29-2019, 11:40 AM
TFC seemingly never asked Genk what the status of Pozo's release clause from Genk's perspective was prior to moving ahead with Pozo's agent, nor were they aware of the press Genk had done saying Pozo would stay.

I noticed that too Ensco but my guess is that while the wording of the reserve clause supported Pozuelo, it was amended orally (according to Genk)which can be binding but needs to be proven it happened. That is why we got this whole he said, she said shenanigans. Perhaps the TFC crew reviewed the wording, deemed it to be good, were not warned of any amendments and declared, "we're good!!"

ensco
03-29-2019, 03:00 PM
I noticed that too Ensco but my guess is that while the wording of the reserve clause supported Pozuelo, it was amended orally (according to Genk)which can be binding but needs to be proven it happened. That is why we got this whole he said, she said shenanigans. Perhaps the TFC crew reviewed the wording, deemed it to be good, were not warned of any amendments and declared, "we're good!!"

The more likely scenario is that they just weren’t ready. Manning thought Seba would accept TFC's offer, Curtis was new, and they really weren’t ready when Seba moved.

So they broke some eggs to make an omelette, and moved on Pozo in a way that was a violation of the code (ie without even consulting the club, let alone seeking the consent of the club).

But that is not the story TFC, MLS, or Tanenbaum wants out there. So Manning has some wood to chop.

Ultra & Proud
03-29-2019, 03:13 PM
But that is not the story TFC, MLS, or Tanenbaum wants out there. So Manning has some wood to chop.
This is the story leading up to and during every transfer window for dozens of teams in Europe. You'll hear a handful of situations just like this coming from Real Madrid alone this summer I suspect.

ensco
03-29-2019, 04:02 PM
This is the story leading up to and during every transfer window for dozens of teams in Europe. You'll hear a handful of situations just like this coming from Real Madrid alone this summer I suspect.

Sure it's always chaos but that is a different point. I don’t want to relitigate this, but teams in Europe don’t wait to negotiate with players the way TFC did.

Fort York Redcoat
03-29-2019, 08:16 PM
There are holes in the narrative the Manning/Curtis tell in that podcast that were interesting (to me anyway).

They spent a lot of time and energy explaining how much they worked in a spirit of cooperation with Genk, and how they never said “the player is ours”, so much so that I believe getting that messaging out there was the whole point of this.

Methinks the lady doth protest too much. I believe Tanenbaum is highly sensitive to any charge of improper aggressiveness,and Manning seems very aware of that potential message track. Nevertheless, based on the fact that Manning/Curtis never addressed this, and Wheeler didn’t ask (like most sports reporters, he wouldn’t know enough to ask)...

Manning also glides through the process of paying 2M over the release clause, and implied he had the freedom to do that on the spot (ie on his own authority)... I highly doubt that, that's not credible. The commitment was 24M euros before increasing the transfer, that's higher than his annual operating budget. Who is he kidding? He would have had to “get” that authority in advance, and that must have been interesting...

I also found the part about Manning's relationship with D'Amico really interesting. That sounds credible to me. People want to blame agents, but I think Seba just wanted top dollar.

I listened as well. I've got a different level or version of cynicism on this.

I didn't take Manning had the authority to do what he did on the spot and just assumed the board had given him authority on that first bid. While the phrasing was left open he quickly refers to the board of directors. I did not get any impression he was without constraints but I guess we hear what we hear.

Overall I completely agree that there was WAYYYYYY too much time trying to look transparent. At some point the producers had to look at that show and think this went way too long to feel like a peak into the window of those in charge and like you allude to that it was an overexplanation to prevent an apology or something like it later.

Thanks as always for your insight man.

ensco
03-30-2019, 02:34 AM
So I am traveling and only saw the highlights...

Given our PK history, for this guy to deliver the all time eff you slow motion panenka on his debut, that was one of the sweetest/cheekiest things I have ever seen!

What's amazing is how dominant he appears to have been without really doing what he was doing at Genk, the long through balls (there were none in the 8 minute highlight package), holy smokes, when he and Jozy add that...!

James17930
03-30-2019, 04:08 AM

Given our PK history, for this guy to deliver the all time eff you slow motion panenka on his debut, that was one of the sweetest/cheekiest things I have ever seen!

What's amazing is how dominant he appears to have been without really doing what he was doing at Genk, the long through balls (there were none in the 8 minute highlight package), holy smokes, when he and Jozy add that...!

They cut those highlights to only focus on him, so it made it look like the whole game was going through him, but strangely it wasn't, despite him having 2 goals and an assist (they don't even show Morrow's goal that got called back, for example).

While he was obviously good, the whole midfield really worked together well to control the game. Bradley, Oso and Delgado were all good, and Auro had probably his best game yet as well, with him and Morrow pushing up the wings.

I actually thought Pozuelo looked a bit tentative at times, like he didn't want to run full out or didn't want to embarrass NYC too much or something (but then he got his two parting shots in at the end).

But if this was him at 50 or 75%, I can't wait to see what he'd do at 100.

OgtheDim
03-30-2019, 05:33 AM
Pozuelo made some good passes that just didn't result in goals.

The goals & the assist will get the coverage but it was his ability to get out of tackles that was the most impressive thing that had people in awe. He beats his man consistently in order to make the next pass - not seen that much over here yet. Seba had it too at first. But then teams just hacked Seba, & his blood got up. (Not sure you can rile Pozuelo in the same way)

I FULLY expect Chicago to hack him down, for Seattle to do slightly less of it, & then for Minnesota to try to take a hammer to his ankles. PRO has been called out for not calling persistent infringement enough. Watch for that over the next few weeks.

OgtheDim
03-30-2019, 08:19 AM
If you want to see how this guy thinks, watch this video

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2019/03/30/night-amazing-i-never-dreamed-night-so-im-very-happy-alejandro-pozuelo?autoplay=true
(https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2019/03/30/night-amazing-i-never-dreamed-night-so-im-very-happy-alejandro-pozuelo?autoplay=true)

And then there is Jozy in this video (somebody needs to gif that one)

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2019/03/30/all-one-moments-new-hero-presented-bell?autoplay=true

ManUtd4ever
03-30-2019, 09:18 AM
It's only one game, but he looks like he has the raw talent and disposition to be arguably the greatest DP in our history.

His ability to elevate his teammates is off the charts.

Rene Kingsriver
03-30-2019, 09:32 AM
I'm christening him Pozenka :scarf:

MightyDM
03-30-2019, 09:44 AM

Ensco, you need to see if you can find a tape of the whole game and watch it. The interplay between Poz Oso and Jozy, and sometimes Bradley was fantastic. It was like a whole different level of soccer and was a joy to watch.

MightyDM
03-30-2019, 09:48 AM
It's only one game, but he looks like he has the raw talent and disposition to be arguably the greatest DP in our history.

His ability to elevate his teammates is off the charts.

It was brilliant. Let’s just remember though that he is in mid season form and the other playe4s and teams are not - so the gap between him and others is not quite as far as it looked last night. But that nutmeg, I think around the 55th minute, where he beat two guys, was incredible. More, please.

MightyDM
03-30-2019, 09:48 AM

change the name of the thread!

Ultra & Proud
03-30-2019, 09:57 AM
Ensco, you need to see if you can find a tape of the whole game and watch it. The interplay between Poz Oso and Jozy, and sometimes Bradley was fantastic. It was like a whole different level of soccer and was a joy to watch.

It was really something. It's early yet and we still have pieces coming but if it goes in this direction I think the team can be more balanced than before. It's refreshing to see more players involved offensively and not have everything funneled through one channel. You can really see it opening space. We get one more attacking option, with pace and has an instinct for good runs off the ball, and I don't see how teams can defend against it all other than low block defending.

Richard
03-30-2019, 10:43 AM
Yes fitness wise he is mid to end of season form(his minutes will have to be managed the rest of the year), however his chemistry with the team is nowhere near peak and that's scary, Altidore will get golden boot for sure if this keeps up.

change the name of the thread!
Positively Pozenka!

+1

SoccMan2
03-30-2019, 10:55 AM
Looking at his playing history he started in Spain’s tier two with Betis B, then played a few games in La Liga in Spain’s top league with Betis A team. Then goes to England’s Premier League with Swansea and last one season and plays in 29 games or so. He then goes to Belgium’s top league and spends the last four or so years there and becomes a top player in that league. There are some that will say he was just not good enough for England’s and Spain’s top league , however, he was still pretty young when he played there and sometimes players take longer to develop. Looks like his game developed rather nicely in Belgium and I’m sure there might still have been a few teams that would have taken him in England and Spain’s top leagues. I think he is probably a better player than when he was younger and was playing in England and Spain. So TFC probably have a much better and more experienced player on their hands than what he was when he was younger and trying his luck in two of the world’s best leagues.

TFC1154ever
03-30-2019, 12:24 PM
So seeing as Giovinco’s song was very simple to learn, and got the whole stadium singing it, here’s one for our new star.

https://youtu.be/vNqIUb2RdGQ

1:36 - 1:56

Recognizable song, and very simple.

ensco
03-30-2019, 12:29 PM
Positively Pozenka!

+1

I support this.

ensco
03-30-2019, 12:30 PM

Thanks. I will watch it later this week.

rydermike
03-30-2019, 12:35 PM
Pozuelo now has an instagram account. @pozuelo10official

I wonder if this is a TFC thing. Giovinco created his instagram when he joined TFC. I wonder if the club sets them up with social media.

trane
03-30-2019, 12:35 PM
He is exactly what we need. He runs the offense, creates, finishes, he is a true classic 10.

It is looking great.

trane
03-30-2019, 12:38 PM
In theory that's supposed to be Liam Fraser, but obviously it's too early to know how he'll pan out.

Liam Fraser, good to know. Will be keeping my eyes on him.

ensco
03-30-2019, 04:24 PM
I don't know if FIFA ever picked up any Seba highlights, or how often they show MLS news at all.... but Pozo got noticed:

https://twitter.com/fifacom/status/1111928494953517057?s=21

paul-collins
03-30-2019, 04:34 PM
Folks folks I think this Pozuelo dude can play ok

Wow, he has the same thinking process as VV but faster and more aggressive. It totally rubbed off on everyone, and in particular Osorio started to try the same sort of stuff (with some decent success too)... This team is going to develop a very watchable character around Alejandro's style.

OgtheDim
03-30-2019, 04:42 PM

I wonder if this is a TFC thing. Giovinco created his instagram when he joined TFC. I wonder if the club sets them up with social media.

He's retweeting in Spanish.

Its all gracious for now but the Spanish language stuff is a good idea - in a multi-lingual city, would be good to sell the most multi-lingual team.

Blizzard
03-30-2019, 05:54 PM

For me, it harkened back to those rare occasions when both Vazquez and Cheyrou were on the field with Bradley. Three Euro experienced MF'ers doing what comes naturally to them.

RedsYNWA
03-30-2019, 07:28 PM
Pozuelo is VV/SEBA all in one and the best player we ever had

a VERY great surprise:scarf:

Bushmancan
03-30-2019, 09:50 PM
Pozuelo is VV/SEBA all in one and the best player we ever had

a VERY great surprise:scarf:

For that crazy combo, I would say the one thing he doesn’t quite have is the pace, he was caught in flat out running. (Gio was a rocket when he first came over) But with that said, when he was caught Poz moved in close quarters like no one I have seen in MLS. The nutmeg was crazy.

Give him teammates with some speed or our existing ones and timing the runs through channels and he will be better than that VV/SEBA thing you mentioned.

Going to be be really fun to watch TFC pick apart teams with 10 men behind the ball.

The year is already fun!!

notthesun
03-30-2019, 09:57 PM

They cut it out of the video but he had a through ball over the top sending Jozy clear in on goal around the 75th minute I believe. Johnson made a good save on it.

snowcrash
03-31-2019, 06:06 AM
They cut it out of the video but he had a through ball over the top sending Jozy clear in on goal around the 75th minute I believe. Johnson made a good save on it.
There were two or three other through balls to Jozy that just failed to connect or didn't end up with a direct shot on goal but once these guys get their timing down, Jozy's going to be getting 4 or 5 chances a game to score.

Areathrasher
03-31-2019, 08:30 AM

Seba had one when he joined but he shut it down and started a new one for some reason.

stegosaurus
03-31-2019, 09:51 AM
Seba had one when he joined but he shut it down and started a new one for some reason.

PR-run Insta vs his own personal one.

Don Julio
03-31-2019, 01:23 PM
So seeing as Giovinco’s song was very simple to learn, and got the whole stadium singing it, here’s one for our new star.

https://youtu.be/vNqIUb2RdGQ

1:36 - 1:56

Recognizable song, and very simple.

I've been singing this song in my head since Friday night!

Auzzy
03-31-2019, 01:52 PM
I think Pozuelo rolled up his sleeve and showed a tattoo after his penalty kick, does anyone know what that was about? Did he already get a TFC tattoo? It's shown on the picture posted on the Toronto FC Facebook page 15 minutes ago. (The post points to article on the TFC website "Pozuelo steals the show in total team win over New York City FC" but you can't see the tattoo thing in the actual video.)

catz4ever
03-31-2019, 02:08 PM
I think it was for his grandfather who just died a couple of weeks ago cause right after he pointed upwards

catz4ever
03-31-2019, 02:57 PM
Just checked the MLS Player Index, I know the season just started but Pozuelo is already number 1 with 1330

notthesun
03-31-2019, 04:05 PM
I think it was for his grandfather who just died a couple of weeks ago cause right after he pointed upwards

Most likely it, he mentioned his grandfather in his post-game interview with KJ as well.

Auzzy
03-31-2019, 05:15 PM
Most likely it, he mentioned his grandfather in his post-game interview with KJ as well.

Oh I didn't know about that. I knew his grandfather was ill, but I didn't realize he had passed away.

DinamoTFC
03-31-2019, 05:24 PM
Oh I didn't know about that. I knew his grandfather was ill, but I didn't realize he had passed away.

In his Pearson airport interview he said his grandfather is doing better. Don't know where people are getting that his grandfather died. He was probably just pointing to God like a lot of Spanish players do.

James17930
03-31-2019, 06:05 PM
In his Pearson airport interview he said his grandfather is doing better. Don't know where people are getting that his grandfather died. He was probably just pointing to God like a lot of Spanish players do.

That's what I thought to. He said everything was find with his grandfather now, unless something changed.

And I guess it was a tattoo he was pointing to. Couldn't see it.

Think about how crazy this is. We know he wanted to come to Toronto partly for the money, but I wonder how much of his decision was about attention and publicity to. I mean, he'd been playing great for Genk and getting almost no notoriety, but he comes here and after one game is already getting re-tweeted by FIFA and after two days has almost 17k followers on a new Instagram account.

Say what you will about the 'quality of play' between MLS and some of the smaller Euro leagues, MLS annihilates them when it comes to its media power. We know how to build stars. He's already a bigger star – after one game! – than he's ever been.

And we did the same for Giovinco too. It's actually kind of nuts.

Auzzy
03-31-2019, 06:49 PM

That's what I thought to. He said everything was find with his grandfather now, unless something changed.

And I guess it was a tattoo he was pointing to. Couldn't see it.

I thought the same as you. But in the interview with KJ right after the game, Pozuelo says thank-you to his family, to the other players, to the coach, and to his grandfather, looking briefly to the sky, "This is for him."

Not sure what that means either way.

I just saw this: "Pozuelo scored the second from the penalty spot in the 58th minute, beating 'keeper Sean Johnson down the middle with a cheeky right-footed change-up of a chip. It's called a Panenka, named after Czech player Antonin Panenka, who pulled it out of his bag of tricks in the 1976 UEFA European Championship final. He peeled away to celebrate after the goal, kissing a tattoo on his right bicep with the name Manolo — his grandfather."

https://www.nsnews.com/spanish-playmaker-alejandro-pozuelo-shines-in-his-toronto-fc-debut-1.23775424

And here's the interview with KJ: https://www.tsn.ca/soccer/video/pozuelo-reflects-on-mls-debut~1648197

James17930
03-31-2019, 06:58 PM
I thought the same as you. But in the interview with KJ right after the game, Pozuelo says thank-you to his family, to the other players, to the coach, and to his grandfather, looking briefly to the sky, "This is for him."

Not sure what that means either way.

I just saw this: "Pozuelo scored the second from the penalty spot in the 58th minute, beating 'keeper Sean Johnson down the middle with a cheeky right-footed change-up of a chip. It's called a Panenka, named after Czech player Antonin Panenka, who pulled it out of his bag of tricks in the 1976 UEFA European Championship final. He peeled away to celebrate after the goal, kissing a tattoo on his right bicep with the name Manolo — his grandfather."

https://www.nsnews.com/spanish-playmaker-alejandro-pozuelo-shines-in-his-toronto-fc-debut-1.23775424

And here's the interview with KJ: https://www.tsn.ca/soccer/video/pozuelo-reflects-on-mls-debut~1648197

Huh. Guess maybe he did die then. Glad to know he got to see him one last time.

Blindside16
04-01-2019, 04:48 AM
We obviously need a much large sample size but IF he can stay consistent and he can stay healthy, then I believe he will eclipse Seba as our best ever player. The passes he was able to hit last night and the ground he covered was a marvel to see. He is exactly what this club needed.

NDIrish
04-01-2019, 07:28 AM
This goal deserves credit and the publicity can't hurt either. Vote as many times as you like.

http://1v1.tsn.ca/ (http://1v1.tsn.ca/)

Still in awe of the performance. Hope that's just the beginning.
(http://1v1.tsn.ca/)

C.Ronaldo
04-01-2019, 08:39 AM
We obviously need a much large sample size but IF he can stay consistent and he can stay healthy, then I believe he will eclipse Seba as our best ever player. The passes he was able to hit last night and the ground he covered was a marvel to see. He is exactly what this club needed.

his engine and work ethic is what shocked me most

he is strong with a low centre of gravity, much harder to knock him off balance.

He has no problem going in for a tackle either

C.Ronaldo
04-01-2019, 08:46 AM

yes, him an Oso looked like they have been playing together for years. These two will be unlocking teams often.

Bradley's run to open up space for Pozo goal will go mostly unnoticed.

DinamoTFC
04-01-2019, 08:48 AM
This goal deserves credit and the publicity can't hurt either. Vote as many times as you like.

http://1v1.tsn.ca/ (http://1v1.tsn.ca/)

Still in awe of the performance. Hope that's just the beginning.
(http://1v1.tsn.ca/)

100x. This shouldnt even be a contest for the next 2 months. Everyone lets get the votes in.

GBV
04-01-2019, 09:01 AM
When they showed it during TSN Sporscentre, or whatever it's called, the one host asked if he really intended for it to be a cross.
:facepalm:

Scotty74
04-01-2019, 09:12 AM
what a debut! He reminded me of Vazquez but with mobility! I was surprised by how much of the field he covered. If he stays healthy, he's going to be huge for the team this year. We just need another striker now

Jack
04-01-2019, 09:28 AM
Huh. Guess maybe he did die then. Glad to know he got to see him one last time.

It could be he just dedicated the goal to him because he's been ill. Like "this is for you, Grandpa".

DinamoTFC
04-01-2019, 09:51 AM
https://twitter.com/Chris_Mavinga/status/1112709214391148545?s=19

His tattoo is of 2 angels with the words Manolo/a (translation anyone is it spanish for manuel?) across for those who were wondering.

Jack
04-01-2019, 10:19 AM
https://twitter.com/Chris_Mavinga/status/1112709214391148545?s=19

His tattoo is of 2 angels with the words Manolo/a (translation anyone is it spanish for manuel?) across for those who were wondering.

Manolo is a Spanish name, as is Manuel ;)

They are variations on the same name.

portu
04-01-2019, 10:35 AM
Hahaha pozuelo's Instagram story says he's enjoying the American lifestyle... who wants to tell him?

C.Ronaldo
04-01-2019, 10:40 AM
Hahaha pozuelo's Instagram story says he's enjoying the American lifestyle... who wants to tell him?

let him find out when he fires up google maps

shwade
04-01-2019, 10:51 AM
let him find out when he fires up google maps

Let's get him a basket of goodies from the Honey Pot

magmadragon
04-01-2019, 11:47 AM

I'll assume it more has to do with Spanish speaking countries teaching that North and South America are all one continent. Everything from Alaska to Patagonia is all "America" to them.

C.Ronaldo
04-01-2019, 01:27 PM
I'll assume it more has to do with Spanish speaking countries teaching that North and South America are all one continent. Everything from Alaska to Patagonia is all "America" to them.

yah, like that corona commercial

https://youtu.be/DMobaS-n4Bs

DinamoTFC
04-01-2019, 01:34 PM
Manolo is a Spanish name, as is Manuel ;)

They are variations on the same name.

haha thanks that makes sense

UltraFootyKWC
04-01-2019, 02:53 PM
his engine and work ethic is what shocked me most

he is strong with a low centre of gravity, much harder to knock him off balance.

He has no problem going in for a tackle either

I was pleasantly surprised by his work ethic as well. He covered a ton of ground from one side to the other. He seemed to be all over the place. There were even a couple points where he dropped back to cover for Auro at fullback. He really does seem to have that "team first" mentality. And as supporters, that's what we like to see. If this is just the tip of the iceberg, in terms of gelling with his teammates, I cannot wait for the rest of the season.

ensco
04-21-2019, 08:48 AM
A small sidebar... Genk have thrived postpozo, won 4 of 5 in the playoff round, and have a 7 point lead with 5 games to go.

This is helpful, as nobody needs the the narrative that TFC or MLS or Pozo ruined Genk’s season.

ag futbol
04-21-2019, 07:24 PM
This was the second game where he scored two goals, each with a different foot.

This no longer impresses me and I now demand one goal with each foot plus one with the head.

DinamoTFC
04-21-2019, 08:19 PM
A small sidebar... Genk have thrived postpozo, won 4 of 5 in the playoff round, and have a 7 point lead with 5 games to go.

This is helpful, as nobody needs the the narrative that TFC or MLS or Pozo ruined Genk’s season.

I agree. I really want genk and their fans to be happy and for us to be even happier when post season comes around. Manning had a point about not wanting to ruin relationships with clubs because there's always potential for future transactions

Auzzy
04-21-2019, 09:44 PM

That's great news, thanks for keeping us up to date!

Hamilton_Red
04-22-2019, 12:04 PM
This was the second game where he scored two goals, each with a different foot.

This no longer impresses me and I now demand one goal with each foot plus one with the head.

I think it is going to be a battle between Poz and Vela for POTY assuming that both remain healthy. To score with both feet like that is just incredible.

I'm not sure that the rest league has fully noticed - they are all excited about LA at the moment.

Blindside16
04-23-2019, 03:41 AM
I think it is going to be a battle between Poz and Vela for POTY assuming that both remain healthy. To score with both feet like that is just incredible.

I'm not sure that the rest league has fully noticed - they are all excited about LA at the moment.

I agree with you there. Both of them have shown themselves a class above the rest. Barring something unexpected I am confident Pozuelo already has new comer of the year already sown up and it's not even May.

ag futbol
04-23-2019, 08:57 AM

Let’s be cautious here. Sometimes guys hit the league on fire but once teams get tape on them they slow up.

It looks very promising I agree but it’s too early to start comparing Poz to Vela. I’m shocked the latter still plays in MLS. He looked World class at the World Cup, i’m suprised someone didn’t swoop in with a monster offer after that. Might have been too soon after his transfer to LAFC.

Canary10
04-23-2019, 10:40 AM
I don't want to blow anyone's minds, but imagine if we had Giovinco and Pozuelo?

Ultra & Proud
04-23-2019, 11:25 AM
I don't want to blow anyone's minds, but imagine if we had Giovinco and Pozuelo?
I don't think we'd be averaging 3 goals per match. Giovinco's demanding of the ball at all times would leave the offense imbalanced like it was before. Easier to shut down when you know it has to run through one guy or he will pout. I much prefer what we have now so let's focus on a defender and a left sided forward and be done with the past.

Hamilton_Red
04-23-2019, 11:37 AM
Let’s be cautious here. Sometimes guys hit the league on fire but once teams get tape on them they slow up.

It looks very promising I agree but it’s too early to start comparing Poz to Vela. I’m shocked the latter still plays in MLS. He looked World class at the World Cup, i’m suprised someone didn’t swoop in with a monster offer after that. Might have been too soon after his transfer to LAFC.

True...we might have to wait a few more games before we do the "Greatest of all time on the history of the league" declaration again. That still is a little embarrassing.

Canary10
04-23-2019, 12:34 PM
I don't think we'd be averaging 3 goals per match. Giovinco's demanding of the ball at all times would leave the offense imbalanced like it was before. Easier to shut down when you know it has to run through one guy or he will pout. I much prefer what we have now so let's focus on a defender and a left sided forward and be done with the past.

Wasn't 2017 the highest scoring team of all time, with a slightly lesser Pozuelo pulling the strings?

Ben - D.O.W.
04-23-2019, 12:44 PM
Wasn't 2017 the highest scoring team of all time, with a slightly lesser Pozuelo pulling the strings?

Can you really compare 2017 Giovinco with 2019 Giovinco though?

I'm with Ultra&Proud on this one - winger and CB and then lets see how our scoring is for this year compared to 2017.

Ultra & Proud
04-23-2019, 03:17 PM

I'm with Ultra&Proud on this one - winger and CB and then lets see how our scoring is for this year compared to 2017.

Yup, if anything having Giovinco added as a winger of all things would leave even less defensive coverage than we have now (because he provides about zero). Hopefully some defensive responsibility is one of the characteristics that they are looking for in their wide guy(s). It is early but I think our offense will be fine with another winger so we need to address problem #1 now (the defense). Being on a 3 goals a match offensive click is great but when the GA is getting in the 2+ range and climbing all is not well.

Joe Kool
04-23-2019, 03:27 PM
Yup, if anything having Giovinco added as a winger of all things would leave even less defensive coverage than we have now (because he provides about zero). Hopefully some defensive responsibility is one of the characteristics that they are looking for in their wide guy(s). It is early but I think our offense will be fine with another winger so we need to address problem #1 now (the defense). Being on a 3 goals a match offensive click is great but when the GA is getting in the 2+ range and climbing all is not well.

Yeah I agree. On a side note, I respect what Seba did for us but I have been enjoying not having the drama he used to create sometimes. I really admire Pozuelo's attitude and work ethic. I am hoping the recent Jozy drama didn't affect him at all since I am sure those two are becoming buds like Seba and Jozy were.

Oldtimer
04-23-2019, 03:38 PM

He hasn't been exactly setting the Saudi league on fire, and TBH he was noticably on the decline last year with TFC.

So I'm with the many here, winger and CB are the needs.

Canary10
04-23-2019, 03:51 PM
Just to be clear, I am not advocating going out and getting Seba back. Just saying him and Pozuelo together would be an absolutely scary wrecking ball of an attack. That I do believe, even the 2019 version of Seba.

TFC Tifoso
04-23-2019, 04:08 PM
Just to be clear, I am not advocating going out and getting Seba back. Just saying him and Pozuelo together would be an absolutely scary wrecking ball of an attack. That I do believe, even the 2019 version of Seba.

a bit of a moot conversation though, considering that it is very unlikely (ie. impossible) that both would've been on this team at the same time....Seba's sale allowed the purchase of Pozo....imo there was no other path to Pozo, and chances are he would never even have gotten a look if Seba was still here....

but with that said, thank God we have him, because Pozo is the real deal. I don't think this will be a case of teams figuring him out later this year after they have a scoop on him.....he's just that good....