PDA

View Full Version : TFC 2019 player in-season moves/speculation/rumours [Seba-free zone from page 74 on]

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Oldtimer
03-02-2019, 11:59 AM
TFC 2019 player in-season moves/speculation/rumours
Post your speculation/information/etc. here in this thread!

Confirmed (by traditional media or the club) signings can get a separate single thread. All other "inside" and other information goes here.

ManUtd4ever
03-02-2019, 12:06 PM
Jozy - check
DP AM - check
Bradley extension - ?
TAM winger - ?

timbercorvus
03-02-2019, 12:32 PM
Junior Hoilett wasn't even on the bench for Cardiff today and I can't find anything about injury. He seems to have been permanently glued to the bench recently too. Cardiff in the relegation zone and lost today.

kodiakTFC
03-02-2019, 12:35 PM
I don’t see a world where we could sign him as a TAM.

Ultra & Proud
03-02-2019, 12:41 PM
I don’t see a world where we could sign him as a TAM.
Maybe next year if the rules change enough. Could gamble on him for half this year (half cap hit) and hope the rules change enough for him to fit with the new CBA.

bought with blo
03-02-2019, 12:52 PM
Maybe next year if the rules change enough. Could gamble on him for half this year (half cap hit) and hope the rules change enough for him to fit with the new CBA.

Maybe we could get him on loan. Then purchase him next year when Bradley comes off the books as a DP

TFC1154ever
03-02-2019, 12:56 PM
Did anyone hear KJ on the TFC pre game? He said if TFC don’t get a TAM winger, they might buy down a DP in May, and get another DP

Valdal
03-02-2019, 01:27 PM
Did anyone hear KJ on the TFC pre game? He said if TFC don’t get a TAM winger, they might buy down a DP in May, and get another DP

It would have to be Bradley then no?

Valdal
03-02-2019, 01:27 PM
I still dont get the direction this front office is going on day 1 of opening season.

T.O TILL I DIE
03-02-2019, 02:37 PM
So anyone catch the rumour info that TFC was in talks with Quaresma, but denied the offer because he wanted 3mil/yr? I feel Toronto needs any big name at this point..

Ossington Mental Youth
03-02-2019, 03:27 PM
It would have to be Bradley then no?

Yep could see it. He's only getting older (we're trying not to dp older dudes), has been paid quite well and I'm sure he'd take a cut. He's quite invested in the team

Ossington Mental Youth
03-02-2019, 03:28 PM
So anyone catch the rumour info that TFC was in talks with Quaresma, but denied the offer because he wanted 3mil/yr? I feel Toronto needs any big name at this point..

Never gonna happen. Also we don't need a big name imo we need game changers

Mikmacdo
03-02-2019, 03:33 PM
How could they buy down Bradley? He makes 6 million?

Red CB Toronto
03-02-2019, 03:35 PM

They can't, no way unless some weird MLS restructuring comes into play, who knows. But truth be told he simply makes way too much to buy down to a TAM level.

DSouzaZ
03-02-2019, 03:43 PM
I was wondering if spending some of that TAM on a DM makes sense. We could push Bradley into the Delgado role to let him do the hustling, and let Pozuelo pull the strings

Hamilton_Red
03-02-2019, 03:48 PM
In addition to the TAM winger we need a second striker - TAM level. Not clear to me that Boyd is going to make it...he looks huge...as in out of shape huge. Which isn't a surprise since he has barely played in several years.

stegosaurus
03-02-2019, 03:53 PM

If we want to hire a flop we’ll hire a younger flop. He’s 35, a lifelong flop, and has a bad attitude. He’s only a big name because of how much of a failure he is.

If TFC made an inquiry at Besiktas it was for Larin or less likely Atiba.

Bobo
03-02-2019, 04:24 PM
After watching Bradley today, I'll repeat what I said a while back: TFC should look for a quality CDM to let Bradley play a little higher / give him some time off.

If we want to hire a flop we’ll hire a younger flop. He’s 35, a lifelong flop, and has a bad attitude. He’s only a big name because of how much of a failure he is.

Ouch, that's my second all-time favourite player. :frown5:

stegosaurus
03-02-2019, 04:45 PM
After watching Bradley today, I'll repeat what I said a while back: TFC should look for a quality CDM to let Bradley play a little higher / give him some time off.

It’s true. I’m sure the Portuguese community would love to have him here, just like North African French would love to have Ben Arfa here (at least he’s younger), or our hospitals would love to have Diaby (or our vacuum salesmen would love to have American Pele).

Ossington Mental Youth
03-02-2019, 06:07 PM

Have him extend a contract at a lower wage

Thomas
03-02-2019, 11:17 PM
Jozy and Poz should be a big boost to the team when they play....and 2 quality TAM players should make us contenders.

DinamoTFC
03-04-2019, 12:32 AM
We need more TAM rumours.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-04-2019, 01:04 AM

Yes pls

Defoe
03-04-2019, 01:28 AM

Was it you who pointed out he had all those goals in the Netherlands? 16 to be exact in the 2007/2008 season with Heerenveen. Eredivisie is a similar quality league to MLS

He's a far better playmaker and decision maker then Osorio. Finishing and calmly powering that ball into the net is a serious skill. I wouldn't even be against trying him at CAM when Pozuelo is away and or if he gets injured in the future.

6.5 million on a defensive midfielder is ludicrous. With Ciman/Moor we should be able to play Bradley higher up the pitch. I agree with you. Seems like we have seriously under used him all these years now that I think about it. It's not like he's a game changer DM with blazing speed back there

James17930
03-04-2019, 01:28 AM

We could just randomly start some. That would be fun too.

But on a serious note, let's discuss the vdW situation. I have a feeling that if anyone else in the league actually wanted him and was willing to pay his salary he'd have been gone by now. I think he's just going to be too difficult to move within the league.

So what do we do with him? Make him apologise and bring him back? Try to buy him out (but then how much of that counts against the cap)? Let him sit around until the summer then try to offload him to Europe?

DinamoTFC
03-04-2019, 01:34 AM
Apparently the Quaresma rumour won't die yet from some radio host from Montreal.

https://twitter.com/NiltonJorge/status/1102271196480065538?s=19

Defoe
03-04-2019, 02:12 AM
Apparently the Quaresma rumour won't die yet from some radio host from Montreal.

https://twitter.com/NiltonJorge/status/1102271196480065538?s=19

It won't be 3 million per year for obvious reasons. MLS is not in a position where they need to or should be over paying for older veterans and it's beautiful. If anything, we are getting to the point where players will take less money to play in MLS rather then LIGA MX, China, Saudri Arabia or even Turkey etc. Our culture allows people to adapt much more easier and the quality/life style is as good or better. If he comes, it would be something like a 2 year deal and Victor Vazquez money. Something like 3.2 million total = 1.6 million per is probably what was offered if they even spoke.

Mikmacdo
03-04-2019, 06:44 AM
It won't be 3 million per year for obvious reasons. MLS is not in a position where they need to or should be over paying for older veterans and it's beautiful. If anything, we are getting to the point where players will take less money to play in MLS rather then LIGA MX, China, Saudri Arabia or even Turkey etc. Our culture allows people to adapt much more easier and the quality/life style is as good or better. If he comes, it would be something like a 2 year deal and Victor Vazquez money. Something like 3.2 million total = 1.6 million per is probably what was offered if they even spoke.

Pass. He turns 36 this season.

They need to sign Franco fragapana, young left winger from Argentina. Could be had for free on a tam deal in June.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/franco-fragapane/profil/spieler/226005

ensco
03-04-2019, 07:28 AM
Manning got up in front of a hundred people 10 days ago and said they didn’t spend enough time on character previously, that's his number one lesson from previous transfer misses.

So we know this, even if random people on a Montreal radio station that get whispered things by agents trying to work a market, don’t

Manning is not bringing in Quaresma, even if Quaresma would play for $300K, let alone $3M!!!!

Derko
03-04-2019, 08:41 AM
The whole team needs to step up this year, and glad to see Jozy resigned, and Pozuelo coming in, just a few more signings and we should be good, I like what I see in DeLeon

zorsofstesab
03-04-2019, 09:20 AM
Not a rumor but what about Giovani dos Santos? Released by LA Galaxy. The article I read said "he remains under contract in MLS and could move to a new MLS team"

Ultra & Proud
03-04-2019, 09:23 AM
Not a rumor but what about Giovani dos Santos? Released by LA Galaxy. The article I read said "he remains under contract in MLS and could move to a new MLS team"
He's not even worth TAM. If that guy ends up on any MLS team then it has to be Orlando. They are basically us when we were the worst team in the world and that's a move we probably would have done back then.

jabbronies
03-04-2019, 09:28 AM
Bradley can't play higher up the pitch. He was doing that when he first came to TFC and he was shit. Where he played last game is where he is best used. He's not versitile enough to be pushed more forward or back.

We have to stop pushing that absurd idea. It's going to get annoying, fast.

ag futbol
03-04-2019, 09:44 AM
Bradley can't play higher up the pitch. He was doing that when he first came to TFC and he was shit. Where he played last game is where he is best used. He's not versitile enough to be pushed more forward or back.

We have to stop pushing that absurd idea. It's going to get annoying, fast.
Well he was also being pushed further up the pitch when Warren Crevalle was his double pivot. That won’t exactly help looking competent.

I think it’s possible for him to do the role but we need to be certain the defensive mid playing behind him is rock solid.

Red I
03-04-2019, 10:15 AM
Pozuelo official... will join TFC on March 18

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2019/03/04/toronto-fc-signs-alejandro-pozuelo-designated-player/1

19Barrett19
03-04-2019, 10:24 AM
One down two more TAM signing to go .... fingers crossed !

Red CB Toronto
03-04-2019, 10:25 AM
Pozuelo official... will join TFC on March 18

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2019/03/04/toronto-fc-signs-alejandro-pozuelo-designated-player/1

That is great to hear. I really don't know much about him, but am excited to see what he brings to the Reds. Truth is Seba will forever be a great in TFC annals, but as we move on, I am excited to see what this team can do moving forward.

Nuvinho
03-04-2019, 10:52 AM
asked J.Kloke on twitter about the possibility of having 1 or 2 TAM wingers in by the home opener - his response.

I'm not optimistic on that front. Transfers take time, and only now with Pozuelo add do TFC have a clearer idea of how much they can spend, etc.

Canary10
03-04-2019, 10:58 AM
The white smoke has risen.

Red I
03-04-2019, 11:02 AM
asked J.Kloke on twitter about the possibility of having 1 or 2 TAM wingers in by the home opener - his response.

I'm not optimistic on that front. Transfers take time, and only now with Pozuelo add do TFC have a clearer idea of how much they can spend, etc.

I don't know how many games i can take with Oso playing on the wing... like, WTF

ManUtd4ever
03-04-2019, 11:24 AM
It would be great to add TAM quality wingers to the mix asap, but the additions of Jozy and Pozuelo to the lineup in the near future should still have a huge impact on our offensive production.

Auzzy
03-04-2019, 11:29 AM
Where's Soolsma when you need him, for a couple months loan... :D

Hamilton_Red
03-04-2019, 11:40 AM
I can't see blowing two TAM spots on wingers. We need a second striker badly. Pozo replaces Victor Vazquez' role in the team - I expect with a significant upgrade over Victor in terms of fitness level.

We need to replace Seba - from a goal scoring perspective.

We are also one 35 year old away from a CB crisis. Moving VdW should free up some cash.

notthesun
03-04-2019, 11:57 AM
Personally I would sign a TAM winger immediately and then wait until the summer window to use the rest of our TAM. There's multiple spots where a second TAM player makes sense (CB, box-to-box midfielder or another winger) and I would rather take half the season to evaluate what we have.

Ultra & Proud
03-04-2019, 12:18 PM
Personally I would sign a TAM winger immediately and then wait until the summer window to use the rest of our TAM. There's multiple spots where a second TAM player makes sense (CB, box-to-box midfielder or another winger) and I would rather take half the season to evaluate what we have.
Me too. Also easier to dump VDW in the summer window and then we can get 2 more TAM players in the summer and fill out any pressing needs. One speedy TAM winger now will certainly help us out until then.

Yohan
03-04-2019, 12:22 PM
Does anyone even know how much TAM TFC is sitting on? Even approximately? I don't even know if TFC has the cap space to bring in 2 TAM players, let alone one. (Assuming TFC is stuck with VdW)

Mikmacdo
03-04-2019, 12:23 PM
I can't see blowing two TAM spots on wingers. We need a second striker badly. Pozo replaces Victor Vazquez' role in the team - I expect with a significant upgrade over Victor in terms of fitness level.

We are also one 35 year old away from a CB crisis. Moving VdW should free up some cash.

They should have money to get two wingers with TAM money and then get a CB with VDW salary when he is shipped out.

Ultra & Proud
03-04-2019, 12:24 PM
Does anyone even know how much TAM TFC is sitting on? Even approximately? I don't even know if TFC has the cap space to bring in 2 TAM players, let alone one. (Assuming TFC is stuck with VdW)
Minus VDW, we only have Osorio on TAM and not that much of it. We should have space for one or two depending on how much they cost and another when VDW is gone.

Mikmacdo
03-04-2019, 12:24 PM
They should have the max TAM money left from VV, I believe they acquired some TAM and or GAM in the trade with Cincy as well.

Ultra & Proud
03-04-2019, 12:26 PM
They should have the max TAM money left from VV, I believe they acquired some TAM and or GAM in the trade with Cincy as well.
Yes that was $500K+. Forgot about that. So easily enough for 3 of them when VDW is gone.

69Chevy396
03-04-2019, 12:27 PM
Me too. Also easier to dump VDW in the summer window and then we can get 2 more TAM players in the summer and fill out any pressing needs. One speedy TAM winger now will certainly help us out until then.
Does anyone know, with certitude, that VDW is going to leave the team? There are two sides to every squabble, and conciliatory measures sometimes pay off, with a hand shake, and a renewed stronger, relationship. I mean, other than third party innuendo, have we heard anything official from front office?

Ultra & Proud
03-04-2019, 12:31 PM
Does anyone know, with certitude, that VDW is going to leave the team? There are two sides to every squabble, and conciliatory measures sometimes pay off, with a hand shake, and a renewed stronger, relationship. I mean, other than third party innuendo, have we heard anything official from front office?
No but first they were firm in their stance that he will never play for TFC again and more importantly, why would we want him? If he was playing RCB Saturday we would have lost that match. Beyond the attitude the main problem is that he is trash.

Areathrasher
03-04-2019, 12:41 PM
"Alejandro Pozuelo is a player we have been following since 2014" Greg Vanney

ensco
03-04-2019, 12:44 PM

A corollary - can they send him to TFC2? It's pretty standard for teams in Europe to try to get players they don’t want to accept less by “humiliating” them by sending them to the reserves....

Ossington Mental Youth
03-04-2019, 12:47 PM
Pass. He turns 36 this season.

They need to sign Franco fragapana, young left winger from Argentina. Could be had for free on a tam deal in June.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/franco-fragapane/profil/spieler/226005

Honestly see this sort of deal happening. Especially a guy like this, checks a lot of boxes.

We are no longer playing a 2 striker system. More likely we sign wingers or a winger

ensco
03-04-2019, 12:48 PM

Kind of meaningless statement without visibility into how many others they were following, then and generally, how names get added and subtracted, and what “following” means.

The question of pipeline and conversion rate is a fascinating one.

Oldtimer
03-04-2019, 01:09 PM

So much for the theory that this was a panic signing. Fast, but they've been watching him for years.

Ultra & Proud
03-04-2019, 01:20 PM
But for sure they are or at least should be tracking multiple players at each position at all times because you never know in sports. At least by tracking certain players it means they are following ones who they see as being a good fit.

Captain
03-04-2019, 01:22 PM
Minus VDW, we only have Osorio on TAM and not that much of it. We should have space for one or two depending on how much they cost and another when VDW is gone.

Mavinga is also on TAM unless his contract has changed.

Captain
03-04-2019, 01:29 PM

According to the stats in the "Banter" thread we had seven players above the max salary last year.
I believe it was:
Bradley
Altidore
Giovinco
Vasquez
Oso
Mavinga
Akexte

Captain
03-04-2019, 01:31 PM
According to the stats in the "Banter" thread we had seven players above the max salary last year.
I believe it was:
Bradley
Altidore
Giovinco
Vasquez
Oso
Mavinga
Akexte

Oh but what about VDW.

ag futbol
03-04-2019, 01:58 PM
Oh but what about VDW.
Technically Oso and Aketxe never overlapped If I understand correctly. 7 looks to be the number

Ultra & Proud
03-04-2019, 02:11 PM
Max charge is now $530K and Mavinga is currently on $500 000.04. Why 4 cents? No idea.

michaeltfc91
03-04-2019, 02:25 PM
Max charge is now $530K and Mavinga is currently on $500 000.04. Why 4 cents? No idea.

Works out to a monthly salary of $41,666.67. My salary too ends in 4 cents, however I make nowhere close to the 41,000 per month:facepalm:

OgtheDim
03-04-2019, 02:44 PM
So apparently the brain trust is looking at everything BUT a striker

https://twitter.com/KristianJack/status/1102651882886045696

Ultra & Proud
03-04-2019, 02:49 PM

I guess they figure with a single striker set up that Boyd & Hamilton are good enough as back up. I would agree if we get a winger that can score as well.

TFC/Everton
03-04-2019, 03:01 PM

Good. Giving Akinola and Hamilton a chance to play is good.

Auzzy
03-04-2019, 03:03 PM
Kind of meaningless statement without visibility into how many others they were following, then and generally, how names get added and subtracted, and what “following” means.

The question of pipeline and conversion rate is a fascinating one.

So much for the theory that this was a panic signing. Fast, but they've been watching him for years.

I agree with ensco.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-04-2019, 03:14 PM

Was about to post this. Makes sense.

reggie
03-04-2019, 03:25 PM
i guess..a winger, CB.RB.DM,i like the look of bradley more up front.if we do get a injury at striker we can still bring one in later.

stegosaurus
03-04-2019, 03:35 PM
I agree with ensco.

It’s entirely likely they were planning on moving for Pozo to replace Vazquez in the summer, but the Giovinco departure required them to bring him in sooner hence all the other issues. Considering every player they’ve looked at in that position was a Belgian POTY CAM it would be surprising that they’d had conversations with him. Vazquez was on their radar and had spoken to them before Giovinco was even signed, so I doubt they’re making all of this up.

The only difference is that it’s more likely he was supposed to leave in the summer than after the winter window.

Defoe
03-04-2019, 03:38 PM
i guess..a winger, CB.RB.DM,i like the look of bradley more up front.if we do get a injury at striker we can still bring one in later.

1) RB/CB hybrid would be nice. Similar to how Mavinga can play LB and CB. A younger guy 22-26 would be nice.

2) A prolific goal scoring winger who's an older veteran at 35 or opposite exact opposite and go for young winger 20-22 who can grow. Probably can't afford a "prime" 27-28 year old top level winger

Richard
03-04-2019, 05:54 PM
If VDW sees the pitch again they might as well fire Vanney or he should resign the second its forced upon him. VDW is a locker-room cancer.

SarniaTFC
03-04-2019, 06:37 PM
When it comes to TAM money, does anybody have any idea about the ball park of that total?

TFC1154ever
03-04-2019, 06:55 PM
Pozuelo deal is a 4 year deal, $4 million AAV, as per KJ

Mikmacdo
03-04-2019, 07:22 PM
Curtis said a few players so I am assuming three. Maybe two this window and add one in the summer?

I would sign two wingers or even a guy who can play the wing and fullback like Deleon. Fabian Johnson could be that guy and they do hold the number one allocation spot.

Then add a young winger from South America.

The third guy would be a CB or a Defensive mid to help Bradley out.

69Chevy396
03-04-2019, 08:00 PM
Curtis said a few players so I am assuming three. Maybe two this window and add one in the summer?

I would sign two wingers or even a guy who can play the wing and fullback like Deleon. Fabian Johnson could be that guy and they do hold the number one allocation spot.

Then add a young winger from South America.

The third guy would be a CB or a Defensive mid to help Bradley out.
There are depth issues at every position. How will this team score, if Altidore gets injured (again)? The back up forwards on this team are avg MLS caliber, at best.

ManUtd4ever
03-04-2019, 08:07 PM
There are depth issues at every position. How will this team score, if Altidore gets injured (again)? The back up forwards on this team are avg MLS caliber, at best.

As we continue to improve the calibre of the starting eleven with more acquisitions, there will be a ripple effect as some of our current starters are pushed into reserve roles. The bench will improve as well.

C.Ronaldo
03-05-2019, 10:37 AM
As we continue to improve the calibre of the starting eleven with more acquisitions, there will be a ripple effect as some of our current starters are pushed into reserve roles. The bench will improve as well.

yup, Delgado goes back to the bench depending on formation.

And I fully expect a few goals from Hamilton with good pozu service. The kid just needs consistency, that header was excellent

dreaddogs
03-05-2019, 11:52 AM
need a TAM to take over Delgado role..... a player with more muscle on the ball.

plus I still don't know why Zavaleta is still on this team... JMHO

Mikmacdo
03-05-2019, 11:55 AM
need a TAM to take over Delgado role..... a player with more muscle on the ball.

plus I still don't know why Zavaleta is still on this team... JMHO

Hes the 4th CB, not really a concern and provides some experience if someone goes down. Lets hope he is more like 17 Zavs, than 18 Zavs if he does play much.

reggie
03-05-2019, 12:08 PM
tfc 2 signed a 20 yr old argentine CB who may be in the future of the big club?

JT Red127
03-05-2019, 12:29 PM
Hes the 4th CB, not really a concern and provides some experience if someone goes down. Lets hope he is more like 17 Zavs, than 18 Zavs if he does play much.

Its a concern because we need to have someone before Zavaleta, meaning if someone goes down Zavaleta should not be the next choice.

ensco
03-05-2019, 12:37 PM
I would give Delgado at least 10-15 games as a starter beside Bradley, before deciding on whether to move him to the bench.

I don’t think we want to make every move now, we need to wait and see where the glaring holes are in the summer window. Marky is still young and was damn close to being a star in this league, let's have some patience.

pekduck
03-05-2019, 01:25 PM
I would give Delgado at least 10-15 games as a starter beside Bradley, before deciding on whether to move him to the bench.

I don’t think we want to make every move now, we need to wait and see where the glaring holes are in the summer window. Marky is still young and was damn close to being a star in this league, let's have some patience.

is Marky still that “young”? Didn’t we get him fro Chivas dispersal draft way back. He has some mileage in this league already and all the years with us. He has flashes of brilliance and random indecision coupled with one or two total brain farts every other game. Is it ceiling of his skills or psychological conditioning? (Where are MLSE sports psychologists? All spent on the Leafs?)

ensco
03-05-2019, 01:32 PM
is Marky still that “young”? Didn’t we get him fro Chivas dispersal draft way back. He has some mileage in this league already and all the years with us. He has flashes of brilliance and random indecision coupled with one or two total brain farts every other game. Is it ceiling of his skills or psychological conditioning? (Where are MLSE sports psychologists? All spent on the Leafs?)

He is 23. He just hasn’t been the same post Guadalajara, he was really developing before that.

The guy could be a quality domestic in MLS for the next 10 years. He really could.

Let's at least build up his trade value.

OgtheDim
03-05-2019, 01:32 PM
I don't know if people have noticed but Atlanta has moved from the track meet 4-1-4-1 counter team they were last year to a possession oriented 3-4-3.

Because of that, people who were great for them last year are trying to figure out how to play things while certain people are being more relied upon. e.g. Gonzalez Perez who is GOOD at passing the ball out of the back is now instructed to only play defence and give the ball to Darlington Nagbe ASAP.

Same thing is going to happen here, but less extreme & more pragmatic.

As we move from a Seba & Jozy feeding focused 3-5-2 to a spread it wide & play into runners 4-3-3, certain players are going to get more time & certain others are going to struggle & others are going to have their roles change. This has ramifications for every single player on the pitch.

2017 is dead

Long live 2019

Ultra & Proud
03-05-2019, 02:41 PM
As we move from a Seba & Jozy feeding focused 3-5-2 to a spread it wide & play into runners 4-3-3, certain players are going to get more time & certain others are going to struggle & others are going to have their roles change. This has ramifications for every single player on the pitch.

Which might be a good thing. Too much comfort in our old system. This should open up the battle for starting spots and some healthy competition.

Defoe
03-05-2019, 03:12 PM
Which might be a good thing. Too much comfort in our old system. This should open up the battle for starting spots and some healthy competition.

We have our prime aged CAM, Kaku (Pozuelo) and veteran striker Wright Philips (Altidore)

I am betting Curtis is going to go after a young CB (Aaron Long) and winger (Daniel Royer.)

NYRB is a first class organization I like the direction personally.

dreaddogs
03-05-2019, 03:16 PM
We have our prime aged CAM, Kaku (Pozuelo) and veteran striker Wright Philips (Altidore)

I am betting Curtis is going to go after a young CB (Aaron Long) and winger (Daniel Royer.)

NYRB is a first class organization I like the direction personally.

management is now scrambling after being embarrassed. Also, the players themselves were embarrassed.. especially Vanney..

Deleon in my opinion has become the BIGGEST surprise.

Ultra & Proud
03-05-2019, 03:19 PM
I think they were embarrassed by the nature of the loss but overall I don't think management or Vanney really care. It's on to the season now and I don't see any knee jerk reactions. Everything seems measured.

Smokecell
03-05-2019, 04:46 PM
Deleon in my opinion has become the BIGGEST surprise.

This says more about how closely you've followed MLS than anything. DeLeon has always been quality.

jabbronies
03-05-2019, 04:52 PM
This says more about how closely you've followed MLS than anything. DeLeon has always been quality.

He's more of a steal than a surprise.

Super
03-05-2019, 05:16 PM
MLS power ranking has TFC at 15, up from 19. https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/03/05/power-rankings-new-york-red-bulls-claim-top-spot-after-opening-week

Would be interesting to know if we advance up the list once Pozuelo arrives. Beating NER next would help as well.

stevep
03-05-2019, 05:47 PM
MLS power ranking has TFC at 15, up from 19. https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/03/05/power-rankings-new-york-red-bulls-claim-top-spot-after-opening-week

Would be interesting to know if we advance up the list once Pozuelo arrives. Beating NER next would help as well.

Oddsmakers have us 8th best
https://www.oddsportal.com/soccer/usa/mls/outrights/

jazzy
03-05-2019, 09:52 PM

A bit of a reach , he’s fast but has a history of missing wide open shots also , , last years playoffs ...he was hot and cold ....he is what he is ...an established mls blue collar player that every team needs .His best quality is he has the desire that Morrow had first season .

rocktml
03-05-2019, 09:54 PM
Are there any new rumors of who we are looking to bring in?

Mister Karpf
03-05-2019, 11:15 PM
Sources say Ricardo Quaresma is pretty much a done deal on TAM.

James17930
03-05-2019, 11:39 PM

I really hope not. That kind of move seems to reek of desperation.

At this point I'd rather wait a bit and see what we truly need. The transfer window is open until May, so there's no strong rush. Give Jozy and Poz 4 or 5 games together and re-evaluate from there.

OgtheDim
03-05-2019, 11:47 PM

That report was rubbished by sources talking to journos so who knows.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-06-2019, 12:28 AM

I could be wrong but I'm not sure I believe that. Think we go young and Argentinian

reggie
03-06-2019, 12:39 AM
the only hint of this is when manning mentioned that they are looking into the character of a player,RQ has had some character issues in the past,he would sure sell some tickets.

James17930
03-06-2019, 03:49 AM
the only hint of this is when manning mentioned that they are looking into the character of a player,RQ has had some character issues in the past,he would sure sell some tickets.

I'm not convinced he'd really be a huge draw on his own - he's been out of the limelight too long.

At this point, the thing that will sell the most tickets is winning.

JT Red127
03-06-2019, 08:23 AM

What sources?

pdogg
03-06-2019, 08:35 AM
What sources?

The sources that say Ricardo Quaresma is pretty much a done deal on TAM, of course. THOSE sources.

Damien
03-06-2019, 09:35 AM
I'd prefer to bring in players much younger than Ricardo Quaresma.

Mikmacdo
03-06-2019, 09:40 AM
I'd prefer to bring in players much younger than Ricardo Quaresma.
I am ok with Quaresma as long as they bring in another winger who is 20-25 years old.

Ultra & Proud
03-06-2019, 10:02 AM
I would pass on old guys with attitude who won't contribute much besides a name. This guy is VDW part II.

Mister Karpf
03-06-2019, 10:28 AM
Sources say Ricardo Quaresma is pretty much a done deal on TAM.. GOTCHA!! HAHAHHA..... sorry guys had to spice things up, things were getting stale in here.

jabbronies
03-06-2019, 11:05 AM

This is counter to what Manning and Co. are building. Any rumour where we are bringing in someone over 33 years old should be considered fake. (as Mister Karpf has proven).

The thing that will sell tickets is not a name player, it'll be a winning club.
Don't forget, this is the city that had a sports team making money hand over fist selling Tie Domi and Darcy Tucker Jerseys in the early 2000's.

TFC doesn't need a name, they need difference makers. (not saying the above mentioned are that, just proving we don't need to go the over the hill DP route)

Oldtimer
03-06-2019, 01:21 PM
. GOTCHA!! HAHAHHA..... sorry guys had to spice things up, things were getting stale in here.

There's no need to spice things up, Mister Karpf when you have a player coming in with these kind of skills:

https://youtu.be/oHg5SJYRHA0

Oldtimer
03-06-2019, 01:28 PM
This is counter to what Manning and Co. are building. Any rumour where we are bringing in someone over 33 years old should be considered fake. (as Mister Karpf has proven).

The thing that will sell tickets is not a name player, it'll be a winning club.
Don't forget, this is the city that had a sports team making money hand over fist selling Tie Domi and Darcy Tucker Jerseys in the early 2000's.

TFC doesn't need a name, they need difference makers. (not saying the above mentioned are that, just proving we don't need to go the over the hill DP route)

This is why they aren't bringing in a Rooney.

They are trying to make a winning team the "brand." While they played up Giovinco a bit, their main emphasis has been on the overall product.

So any player that does not lead to a stronger team will be rejected. That's how we can spot fake rumours right away.

sn0re
03-06-2019, 01:29 PM
https://twitter.com/plattoli/status/1103321282081255424

Who is going to replace Telfer?

pekduck
03-06-2019, 01:31 PM
There's no need to spice things up, Mister Karpf when you have a player coming in with these kind of skills:

why did i click on it... i never learn....

notthesun
03-06-2019, 01:36 PM
https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2019/03/06/toronto-fc-loan-three-players-ottawa-fury-fc

Robert Boskovic, Aidan Daniels and Shaan Hundal loaned to Ottawa Fury. I think Duane summed this up pretty accurately:

https://twitter.com/24thminute/status/1103357011037704192

Mikmacdo
03-06-2019, 01:57 PM

Maybe a winger is coming sooner than expected.

OgtheDim
03-06-2019, 02:18 PM
Well at least the yutes are getting some playing time with & against guys who are lifer Div 2 types.

GerMc
03-06-2019, 02:21 PM

Ouch, Oldtimer....you definitely got me!

ag futbol
03-06-2019, 02:47 PM

Official:

@York9FC
Ryan is #YorkReady.

York9 FC has acquired midfielder Ryan Telfer on a full season loan from
@torontofc

Canuck82
03-06-2019, 02:59 PM
Official:

@York9FC
Ryan is #YorkReady.

York9 FC has acquired midfielder Ryan Telfer on a full season loan from
@torontofc

So why Telfer to York 9 and the other three to Ottawa? Based on what I saw last season Telfer is more of a MLS ready product where the other three never came close to an MLS bench. Interesting TFC said they will be sending two more to Ottawa....

RealG-TFC
03-06-2019, 03:16 PM
If I recall correctly Telfer has a young family already, it was probably his call to go to York9 over Ottawa.

fergiejr
03-06-2019, 03:31 PM
So why Telfer to York 9 and the other three to Ottawa? Based on what I saw last season Telfer is more of a MLS ready product where the other three never came close to an MLS bench. Interesting TFC said they will be sending two more to Ottawa....

Possibly, the understanding is that CPL > USL even before they start playing. So Telfer, playing at a higher level, would go to York CPL and the others to USL - essentially where they were last year.

Ben - D.O.W.
03-06-2019, 03:45 PM
...the other three never came close to an MLS bench.

Aidan Daniels played with TFC against Houston last spring. I mean it's not much but it's MLS.

OgtheDim
03-06-2019, 04:03 PM
Telfer loan pretty much guarantees we are getting somebody else as a LW - no way we carry just Morrow & Morgan on that side.

Mikmacdo
03-06-2019, 04:30 PM

Maybe Telfer preferred to go play at York where he went to school. Plus he doesn't have to move to Ottawa and the level of play should be about the same.

DinamoTFC
03-07-2019, 12:25 AM
So CIA independiente beat Sporting KC in the quarters of CCL and Omar Browne and Romeesh Ivey supposedly had another big game. Did not watch but this is what I read. We need to steal one of these guys. I like Browne a lot.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-07-2019, 12:33 AM
Telfer loan pretty much guarantees we are getting somebody else as a LW - no way we carry just Morrow & Morgan on that side.

Yeah I'm kinda with this. Quick, someone start googling Argie left wings

Joe Kool
03-07-2019, 01:57 AM
Definitely moving Telfer indicates someone coming in otherwise we wouldn't be moving someone who could be a backup from the bench in times of need like last season. I am still curious why we traded for the number one allocation spot and never used it. I am assuming something fell through that was supposed to happen....

Ultra & Proud
03-07-2019, 08:11 AM
Definitely moving Telfer indicates someone coming in otherwise we wouldn't be moving someone who could be a backup from the bench in times of need like last season. I am still curious why we traded for the number one allocation spot and never used it. I am assuming something fell through that was supposed to happen....

That's for the summer window when the European season is done. It just happened to become available now because Cinci are newbs.

Areathrasher
03-07-2019, 08:54 AM

They can sit on the allocation spot for the whole season, it doesnt have to be used straight away.

Joe Kool
03-07-2019, 09:16 AM
That's for the summer window when the European season is done. It just happened to become available now because Cinci are newbs.

I guess that could make sense. Question is if they bring in the couple other pieces that they are talking about now, will we even have the budget to add someone in the summer window?

Still Kicking
03-07-2019, 09:46 AM
I guess that could make sense. Question is if they bring in the couple other pieces that they are talking about now, will we even have the budget to add someone in the summer window?

Just guessing that they pair allocation list add with vdW subtraction (in budget terms, if not position/needs terms) come summer?

Damien
03-07-2019, 09:51 AM
Can we get VdW off the books already? Transfer him for a bag of pylons or something.

Mikmacdo
03-07-2019, 10:06 AM
Can we get VdW off the books already? Transfer him for a bag of pylons or something.
Probably have to wait until Summer to transfer him if anyone wants him. I bet they just buy him out when they can.

GerMc
03-07-2019, 10:09 AM
Maybe Telfer preferred to go play at York where he went to school. Plus he doesn't have to move to Ottawa and the level of play should be about the same.

Can we call up Telfer from York9 on a game-by-game basis? If that is the case, then maybe that is another reason to have him here in the GTA. I thought he showed some promise in the games he played with the first team. Yes, a TAM winger would be better, obviously, but I thought he was ok depth as an enthusiastic late sub.

Mikmacdo
03-07-2019, 10:16 AM
Can we call up Telfer from York9 on a game-by-game basis? If that is the case, then maybe that is another reason to have him here in the GTA. I thought he showed some promise in the games he played with the first team. Yes, a TAM winger would be better, obviously, but I thought he was ok depth as an enthusiastic late sub.I don’t think so and yeah he was fairly good when he got a shot to play last year and I think led the team in scoring in preseason. I knew something was up when he wasn’t even making the team over Shaffleburg or Dorsey.

Ultra & Proud
03-07-2019, 10:21 AM
Well we can always trade the spot for allocation $$$ if we don't need it.

portu
03-07-2019, 10:26 AM
So CIA independiente beat Sporting KC in the quarters of CCL and Omar Browne and Romeesh Ivey supposedly had another big game. Did not watch but this is what I read. We need to steal one of these guys. I like Browne a lot.
This. How much could Browne really cost? Like 100-200k barely?? Get it done.

Joe Kool
03-07-2019, 10:36 AM

In MLS it comes down to who has discovery rights too. That would also play a part. If nobody has it, TFC would be wise to at least get that done. The guy is making enough of a splash against MLS teams to get some serious consideration.

stegosaurus
03-07-2019, 12:41 PM
Well we can always trade the spot for allocation $$$ if we don't need it.

But then we have to give some of that funny money back to FCC. I assume the FO had some reason for acquiring the spot.

Mikmacdo
03-07-2019, 12:46 PM
But then we have to give some of that funny money back to FCC. I assume the FO had some reason for acquiring the spot.

Maybe the player they want can't come over until the summer?

MightyDM
03-07-2019, 12:47 PM
I don’t think so and yeah he was fairly good when he got a shot to play last year and I think led the team in scoring in preseason. I knew something was up when he wasn’t even making the team over Shaffleburg or Dorsey.

Its actually a bit odd. He is far more developed than those guys and had a lot of appearances last year.. molinaro retweeted something about this and the tweet he had retweeted was taken down.

Ultra & Proud
03-07-2019, 12:52 PM
But I assume the FO had some reason for acquiring the spot.

Johnson is the easy answer but he doesn't fit in with what we're doing now. I always suspected it was in anticipation of Larin leaving Turkey.

Mikmacdo
03-07-2019, 01:05 PM
Fabian Castillo would be a perfect fit if he can be a tam deal.

portu
03-07-2019, 01:43 PM
Fabian Castillo would be a perfect fit if he can be a tam deal.

Won't happen Pareja is his coach at Tijuana now and he's a big Castillo fan. Looked into this when we got the allocation spot the first time.

notthesun
03-07-2019, 02:00 PM
https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/03/07/stejskal-potential-deals-watch-during-mls-primary-transfer-window
(https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/03/07/stejskal-potential-deals-watch-during-mls-primary-transfer-window)

Toronto FC got their big one over the line on Monday, when they announced the signing of Pozuelo to a DP contract from Belgian club Genk.

With Pozuelo’s protracted, dramatic, complex transfer saga out of the way, TFC are now turning their full attention toward TAM targets. A source told MLSsoccer.com on Wednesday that it’s still up in the air whether the team will use their available TAM on one or two new signings. If the team uses all their available TAM on one player, it’s most likely that the new signing will be a winger. If the team splits their TAM between two new signings, they’d either bring in two wingers or a winger and a defender. The source added that Argentine winger Jonathan Menendez, who TFC were pursuing earlier this winter, is no longer a target.

The source also confirmed that the team is looking to get out from under Gregory van der Wiel (http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/gregory-van-der-wiel)’s contract. The Dutch defender reportedly got into an altercation with TFC head coach Greg Vanney early in preseason and hasn’t taken part in team activities since. A separate source told MLSsoccer.com last week that van der Wiel has been training individually at TFC’s practice facility since the incident while he and the club work to resolve his status.

Until the European, Chinese and Middle Eastern transfer windows re-open later this year, TFC are essentially down to three options in regards to van der Wiel: Trade him to another MLS team, waive him/buy him out or keep him. The only option that would offer any budget relief would be to trade van der Wiel, but, considering his hefty salary, up-and-down 2018 form and the reported altercation with Vanney, sources around the league expect TFC to have a hard time moving him without covering a significant portion of his budget charge.

Areathrasher
03-07-2019, 02:02 PM
EDIT: Double Post

Ben - D.O.W.
03-07-2019, 02:14 PM
https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/03/07/stejskal-potential-deals-watch-during-mls-primary-transfer-window
Until the European, Chinese and Middle Eastern transfer windows re-open later this year, TFC are essentially down to three options in regards to van der Wiel: Trade him to another MLS team, waive him/buy him out or keep him. The only option that would offer any budget relief would be to trade van der Wiel, but, considering his hefty salary, up-and-down 2018 form and the reported altercation with Vanney, sources around the league expect TFC to have a hard time moving him without covering a significant portion of his budget charge.

Anyone know why buying him out wouldn't offer budget relief? Isn't that the whole point of it?

Areathrasher
03-07-2019, 02:17 PM
Anyone know why buying him out wouldn't offer budget relief? Isn't that the whole point of it?

They would have had to do it before roster compliance to get full relief IIRC.

Ben - D.O.W.
03-07-2019, 02:31 PM
They would have had to do it before roster compliance to get full relief IIRC.

Ah right, thanks. I guess that would beg the question why the #$%# we didn't do it then. It's not like the bust up with Vanney didn't happen with plenty of time to work that out before the compliance deadline.

Cas87
03-07-2019, 02:31 PM
Apparently Colorado waived Shekelzen Gashi. As per MLS roster rules, his contract is guaranteed for this year regardless of who he plays for but whomever claims him are only charges on their cap what they are willing to absorb. https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/03/01/stejskal-colorado-rapids-waive-designated-player-shkelzen-gashi

Wonder if he would be worth a flyer on for the year and see if he can be used subbing for Jozy (with Boyd), as a winger, or even as a second striker (if our opposition dictates it).

69Chevy396
03-07-2019, 03:36 PM
(https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/03/07/stejskal-potential-deals-watch-during-mls-primary-transfer-window)
The VDW issue is one that TFC should handle carefully. He is being paid. He is training. Use him as a sub. If he raises his level of play, which he is capable of doing, it will be much easier to move him. TFC knows it, and so does he, so everybody wins (and Vanney can relax)

Auzzy
03-07-2019, 03:57 PM
Ah right, thanks. I guess that would beg the question why the #$%# we didn't do it then. It's not like the bust up with Vanney didn't happen with plenty of time to work that out before the compliance deadline.

They are allowed one buyout per year. Some of us are wondering if they had to use that buyout to clear out any leftover commitments from Aketxe's contract. And no "journalist" has asked. I don't suppose this came up at the supporter's forum?

Damien
03-07-2019, 04:24 PM
The VDW issue is one that TFC should handle carefully. He is being paid. He is training. Use him as a sub. If he raises his level of play, which he is capable of doing, it will be much easier to move him. TFC knows it, and so does he, so everybody wins (and Vanney can relax)

I don't think Vanney wants him back... Maybe if VdW publicly apologizes (hiiiighly doubt he'd do that).

Scott
03-07-2019, 04:42 PM

This bugs the crap out of me more than the Pozeulo transfer being drawn out. We know that they want rid of him. We know what the deadline was. Ball dropped. This is a HUGE wage that we could have done with bolstering our roster elsewhere and now it seems like were hand cuffed.

The win to start in Phillie was good but if players start wavering then I don't want Vanney hesitating when looking to his bench.

If I understand correctly he's now making his paycheck whether he plays or not?

rydermike
03-07-2019, 05:21 PM
This bugs the crap out of me more than the Pozeulo transfer being drawn out. We know that they want rid of him. We know what the deadline was. Ball dropped. This is a HUGE wage that we could have done with bolstering our roster elsewhere and now it seems like were hand cuffed.

The win to start in Phillie was good but if players start wavering then I don't want Vanney hesitating when looking to his bench.

If I understand correctly he's now making his paycheck whether he plays or not?

I think that Aketxe's contract termination must have counted as the buyout making us unable to get any cap savings from buying out vDw. So if that's the case, waiting is the best option.

69Chevy396
03-07-2019, 06:00 PM
I think that Aketxe's contract termination must have counted as the buyout making us unable to get any cap savings from buying out vDw. So if that's the case, waiting is the best option.
It is late in a close game, our defenders are exhausted. Is it preferable to insert Vanney’s nephew, or VDW? .There are numerous examples of pro players hating each other, but still performing well. And the coach needs to embrace this also. Unless VDW shat in Vanney’s coffee, he should be a sub until things get sorted out.

backbeat
03-07-2019, 06:03 PM
It is late in a close game, our defenders are exhausted. Is it preferable to insert Vanney’s nephew, or VDW? .There are numerous examples of pro players hating each other, but still performing well. And the coach needs to embrace this also. Unless VDW shat in Vanney’s coffee, he should be a sub until things get sorted out.

i don't think so - he'd be a cancer in the change room ihmo - i'd loan him out to York 9 or Ottawa until the summer just because...

anto7
03-07-2019, 06:04 PM

You guys make it seem like we should and can sign whoever we please and whenever we want. I really don’t think it’s so simple, there are many factors in play before making any signing. We saw these guys play twice, and based on that we think they will automatically fit in here and excel?

Ultra & Proud
03-07-2019, 06:55 PM
Of our CBs, VDW is only better than Zavaleta but at least Zavaleta tries. Leave the floater at Downsview where he belongs.

69Chevy396
03-07-2019, 07:02 PM
Of our CBs, VDW is only better than Zavaleta but at least Zavaleta tries. Leave the floater at Downsview where he belongs.
Wonder just what happened to VDW...he was once a terrific defender, enough so, that Bez took a chance on him....perhaps that wife of his wears him out (I say that with tremendous amounts of envy).

Ossington Mental Youth
03-07-2019, 11:32 PM

Yeah tries alright. Tries to fight the coach.

Valdal
03-08-2019, 12:05 AM
So I have been thinking about goalkeepers lately. Do people see Bono being our long term option at all? Or is Curtis going to find something more long term to grow with this team?

Derko
03-08-2019, 06:50 AM
So I have been thinking about goalkeepers lately. Do people see Bono being our long term option at all? Or is Curtis going to find something more long term to grow with this team?

Unless Bono starts pulling it out a hat again, I fear he will be back to the bench.
Why can't Bono control the ball when it is passed back to him, It looks like he panics and just one times it up the field,
and usually to an opponent our into touch and gives up possession, it is a TimBits Soccer play, wtf

portu
03-08-2019, 08:34 AM
Unless Bono starts pulling it out a hat again, I fear he will be back to the bench.
Why can't Bono control the ball when it is passed back to him, It looks like he panics and just one times it up the field,
and usually to an opponent our into touch and gives up possession, it is a TimBits Soccer play, wtf

Bono feels like he's regressed

Ultra & Proud
03-08-2019, 09:19 AM
I think we'll be seeing Westberg in a few weeks anyway. If Bono looks dodgy against NER then I would start Westberg in the next match to see what he's got plus to shake up Bono a bit.

shwade
03-08-2019, 12:21 PM
Bono feels like he's regressed

He hasn't been the same since he signed his new contract

Ultra & Proud
03-08-2019, 12:24 PM
He hasn't been the same since he signed his new contract
And wasn't being seriously pushed for his starting spot. He was his best when it was assumed Irwin would reclaim that spot.

Defoe
03-08-2019, 03:25 PM
So long term if we want to get back to 2017 level form and compete in CCL in 2020 what do we need? Is Bradley, Altidore, Pozuelo good enough at DP?

I feel like we need the following:

1 elite striker like Giovinco
1 top end striker like Altidore
1 elite CAM like Pozuelo
4-5 quality midfielders/wingers. Bradley, Osorio, Delon, Auro (Being generous with Osorio, Auro and Deleon)
2 very good CB's: Mavinga
2 quality RB/LB: Maybe Morrow.
Depth: Moor, Ciman, Delgado, Hamilton.

It seems at minimum we need a RB, a prime CB, a midfielder, 2 wingers or 1 winger and a striker. That's 5 positions.

How can we keep Bradley and get a Giovinco level forward? Is it even possible? Or will they opt for a TAM level striker/winger and retain Bradley as a DP?

Watching Red Bulls and Atlanta United get their ass kicked was a wake up call that if we want to beat LIGA MX in CCL the limit of what MLS teams can do needs to be exceeded.

Ultra & Proud
03-08-2019, 03:27 PM
So long term if we want to get back to 2017 level form and compete in CCL in 2020 what do we need? Is Bradley, Altidore, Pozuelo good enough at DP?

1 elite CAM like Pozuelo
4-5 quality midfielders/wingers. Bradley, Osorio, Delon, Auro (Being generous with Osorio, Auro and Deleon)

It seems at minimum we need a RB, a prime CB, a midfielder, 2 wingers or 1 winger and a striker. That's 5 positions.

How can we keep Bradley and get a Giovinco level forward? Is it even possible? Or will they opt for a TAM level striker/winger and retain Bradley as a DP?

Watching Red Bulls and Atlanta United get their ass kicked was a wake up call that if we want to beat LIGA MX in CCL the limit of what MLS teams can do needs to be exceeded.
No point in even thinking about it until we see the new CBA.

and win the V-Cup.

Defoe
03-08-2019, 03:43 PM
No point in even thinking about it until we see the new CBA.

and win the V-Cup.

when is the new CBA?

69Chevy396
03-08-2019, 04:06 PM

1 elite CAM like Pozuelo

Seba was special, along with Martinez, the only genuine star forward to join MLS, in his prime. Good luck replacing him, anytime soon.

Valdal
03-08-2019, 04:25 PM
Erick Torres anyone?

MightyDM
03-08-2019, 04:33 PM
Seba was special, along with Martinez, the only genuine star forward to join MLS, in his prime. Good luck replacing him, anytime soon.

We aren't trying to replace Seba, and wont, and I agree, special indeed. Magic. My neighbour watches his highlights from Saudi just to take pleasure in his play. We wont see his like again here. We may even have excellent teams, but not a player of his skills and ability and dominance - unless the sport takes off post World Cup from a TV contract perspective. Even then, Seba has international calibre skill. Any bigger a frame and he would have been starting for Juve and Italy and we never would have seen him here. We were blessed

Defoe
03-08-2019, 06:53 PM
We aren't trying to replace Seba, and wont, and I agree, special indeed. Magic. My neighbour watches his highlights from Saudi just to take pleasure in his play. We wont see his like again here. We may even have excellent teams, but not a player of his skills and ability and dominance - unless the sport takes off post World Cup from a TV contract perspective. Even then, Seba has international calibre skill. Any bigger a frame and he would have been starting for Juve and Italy and we never would have seen him here. We were blessed

One of the greatest players in MLS ever but Josef Martinez, Robbie Keane, David Villa and Wayne Rooney all the same or similar tier. Even Zlatan, Valeri and Piatti are very dominant.

It wouldn’t shock me to see a player in the Giovinco tier play here again in the next few years. Pozuelo could be Valeri tier (close to Gio just a small notch below) but I have faith TFC could get another player like him. Maybe in year 3/4 of Pozo’s deal they will bring in a big name player and make a big play in CCL

No doubt that Giovinco was special though and very hard to replace. The fact we got him on a free transfer is crazy

69Chevy396
03-08-2019, 07:39 PM
One of the greatest players in MLS ever but Josef Martinez, Robbie Keane, David Villa and Wayne Rooney all the same or similar tier. Even Zlatan, Valeri and Piatti are very dominant.

It wouldn’t shock me to see a player in the Giovinco tier play here again in the next few years. Pozuelo could be Valeri tier (close to Gio just a small notch below) but I have faith TFC could get another player like him. Maybe in year 3/4 of Pozo’s deal they will bring in a big name player and make a big play in CCL

No doubt that Giovinco was special though and very hard to replace. The fact we got him on a free transfer is crazy
Zlatan, Rooney, Henry, Pirlo, Kaka....all great players, but well past their prime....MLS continues to be regarded as a retirement league. Finding ways of keeping players like Seba, is necessary for MLS gain respectability

Thomas
03-08-2019, 07:49 PM
Seba was the best player we have ever had to date, but to say that we will never have a player like that ever again is just plain silly.

69Chevy396
03-08-2019, 08:02 PM
Seba was the best player we have ever had to date, but to say that we will never have a player like that ever again is just plain silly.
It won’t be easy. Can you think of another 26 or 27 year old forward/attacking midfielder, playing for a top European or south American NT, joining TFC? Anybody come to mind on the German team, the French, Spain, Italy, England (Maybe Defoe)? And, world class prospects who come to MLS, never stay very long....

Mikmacdo
03-08-2019, 08:33 PM
It won’t be easy. Can you think of another 26 or 27 year old forward/attacking midfielder, playing for a top European or south American NT, joining TFC? Anybody come to mind on the German team, the French, Spain, Italy, England (Maybe Defoe)? And, world class prospects who come to MLS, never stay very long....

If MLS gets rid of the salary cap it wont take long to see guys better than Giovinco coming over. I believe without a cap MLS could become a top 6 or 7 league withing a few years.

James17930
03-08-2019, 08:34 PM

Your argument assumes MLS's status remains the same as now. But, as we've seen, it's status continues to grow every year. Its presence is getting larger and larger on the world stage (just look at this off-season and the transfer madness - for Pozuelo, we are more desirable than a potential UEFA CL team).

In 5 years, who knows how big we'll be? I think there's a great chance for mid-20s players who aren't getting regular time in Europe to want to come to MLS.

spe18
03-08-2019, 08:37 PM
If MLS gets rid of the salary cap it wont take long to see guys better than Giovinco coming over. I believe without a cap MLS could become a top 6 or 7 league withing a few years.

It could just easily see the same fate the old NASL did :)

Mikmacdo
03-08-2019, 09:11 PM
It could just easily see the same fate the old NASL did :) highly doubt that, a national TV will be the big difference maker in a few years. Networks are paying crazy amounts of money for live sports.

Hamilton_Red
03-08-2019, 10:27 PM

We offered him double what everyone else was offering. He was the highest paid Italian footballer in the world. If we are prepared to do it again - then we’ll get who ever we want.

Thomas
03-08-2019, 10:31 PM
Seba was a bench player for Juve when we got him. That does tell you about the quality of top tier European football leagues.

ensco
03-09-2019, 02:29 AM
Seba was a bench player for Juve when we got him. That does tell you about the quality of top tier European football leagues.

Seba was a bubble player for both Juve and the Italian MNT, which makes him a bit unique.He had no obvious future at Inter, Milan, Roma... he was facing a move to a Fiorentina or similar.

He was comparable in 2015 to someone like maybe Ross Barkley or Leon Goretzka today. Nice player, but not a true household name or anything.

PizzaEatingYeti
03-09-2019, 03:20 AM
Sorry guys, to a lots of you I may look like an a...hole saying this, but, I think the title of this thread is:
"TFC 2019 player in-season moves/speculation/rumours"
Now I counted that the last 12 posts were all about other stuff: mainly Giovinco, and some about the future of the MLS. :facepalm:

Please do not post here anymore stuff like this, I'm (and I think a lots of other people) coming to this thread to read about TFC 2019 player in season moves/speculation/rumours.

Nobody is stopping any of you to open a thread called for ex: "Giovinco forever", and in that thread with a lots of other forum members make posts even 10 years from now about how a great player he was for TFC and that never again we'll have such a great player...

Thanks!
/ end of rant /

MightyDM
03-09-2019, 07:31 AM
Seba was a bubble player for both Juve and the Italian MNT, which makes him a bit unique.He had no obvious future at Inter, Milan, Roma... he was facing a move to a Fiorentina or similar.

He was comparable in 2015 to someone like maybe Ross Barkley or Leon Goretzka today. Nice player, but not a true household name or anything.

Yes, but unique and different from Barkley in that Seba has world class skill, but not the size to take the physical beating of top top football or the size to be a striker at that level or the pace to be a winger. Unless you are Messi or Hazard, awfully hard to compete at the top level with that skill set at that size. He was a slight positional misfit there but his skill overcame that problem here - and that’s why I think we won’t see another remotely like him, and why the front office won’t be finding him. They may bring in a TAM winger or a decent striker or someone else, and I hope they do - we have literally no pace now that Ricketts is gone (and Raheem). But there will not be a Seba part two. Not now because there is no money. Not then because there isn’t one. And maybe that’s ok. Maybe we can be even better with a more balanced team. Maybe.

MightyDM
03-09-2019, 09:15 AM
If we compare to 2018, we are much better. Poz (based on form) > injured VV, Healthy Jozy > injured Jozy, healthy Moor plus Ciman > zavs + Haggs. But compared to 2017 playoffs when VV and Jozy were playing as if healthy, and Ricketts was very effective, and Moor was 2 years younger, and Zavaleta and Hagglund were effective, and we had Seba, we are still way down. Interesting to see if they try to fix this through formation changes ie Bradley new role or through new players

Mikmacdo
03-09-2019, 09:21 AM
If we compare to 2018, we are much better. Poz (based on form) > injured VV, Healthy Jozy > injured Jozy, healthy Moor plus Ciman > zavs + Haggs. But compared to 2017 playoffs when VV and Jozy well playing as if healthy, and Ricketts was very effective, and Moor was 2 years younger, and Zavaleta and Haggkind were effective, and we had Seba, we are still way down. Interesting to see if they try to fix this through formation changes ie Bradley new role or through new players

I dont think Moor will be any worse as he gets older its not like hes an athletic specimen, hes not going to lose his football I.Q. Pozuelo might make Jozy better than ever. Osorio is better than he was in 17, Deleon is a nice addition, Auro is underrated here, Hamilton can be as good as Ricketts was. Lets judge the team after they add 2-3 more players, the 2018 team was better than the 2017 team on paper but we all saw how that turned out.

I wish we could have kept Jansen he would look great on the left wing in this system.

ag futbol
03-09-2019, 12:45 PM
If we compare to 2018, we are much better. Poz (based on form) > injured VV, Healthy Jozy > injured Jozy, healthy Moor plus Ciman > zavs + Haggs. But compared to 2017 playoffs when VV and Jozy were playing as if healthy, and Ricketts was very effective, and Moor was 2 years younger, and Zavaleta and Hagglund were effective, and we had Seba, we are still way down. Interesting to see if they try to fix this through formation changes ie Bradley new role or through new players
Well healthy Moor plus Ciman > zavs + Haggs BUT will Moor stay healthy? And maybe just as important, will Bradley be able to provide as much of a shield as he did in 2017 to make those CB’s look effective?

I tend to think in totoality here we’re trending towards being a bubble playoff team. And that’s not just down to Seba, it’s also about the evolution of MLS rosters and competitiveness.

Mikmacdo
03-09-2019, 01:06 PM
Well healthy Moor plus Ciman > zavs + Haggs BUT will Moor stay healthy? And maybe just as important, will Bradley be able to provide as much of a shield as he did in 2017 to make those CB’s look effective?

I tend to think in totoality here we’re trending towards being a bubble playoff team. And that’s not just down to Seba, it’s also about the evolution of MLS rosters and competitiveness.
ATL, NYC, Red bull's all lost top players. I don't think the league got any better than last season.

shwade
03-09-2019, 01:11 PM
The difference is MLS can't keep its top players. Any prospect with a smidgen of potential is sold for a few million $.
We need to hold on to these guys for a bit longer at least and foster them in MLS.

ensco
03-09-2019, 01:20 PM
So if Ciman finds his footing (which I think he will)
and if Pozuelo is a star,
and if Altidore gives us 25 games

We are one of the top 3 teams in the east. Without a TAM winger.

I would wait for summer on the signing.

Richard
03-09-2019, 01:30 PM

The potential is certainly there however the defense scares me.

shwade
03-09-2019, 01:48 PM

On paper? That's a pretty weak Eastern conference then.

Ultra & Proud
03-09-2019, 03:57 PM
On paper? That's a pretty weak Eastern conference then.

Eastern Conference doesn't look very impressive this year anyway.

Oldtimer
03-09-2019, 05:43 PM
ATL, NYC, Red bull's all lost top players. I don't think the league got any better than last season.

People don't really realize that Atlanta will be much worse than last year. They used up all their TAM that they could and new team allocation to "win now."

The roster was unsustainable, hence losing stars, the new coach is Aron Winter v2. 0, I don't expect them to be anywhere close to their last year form.

I doubt TFC will wait for summer to bring in at least one more player, TFC should be competitive against Atlanta.

Mikmacdo
03-09-2019, 05:53 PM
People don't really realize that Atlanta will be much worse than last year. They used up all their TAM that they could and new team allocation to "win now."

The roster was unsustainable, hence losing stars, the new coach is Aron Winter v2. 0, I don't expect them to be anywhere close to their last year form.

I doubt TFC will wait for summer to bring in at least one more player, TFC should be competitive against Atlanta.

I think they will sign one winger asap and see how thing go, then in the summer window they will have a better idea of what they need.

Stress
03-09-2019, 07:50 PM
Saw on twitter that Plata didn’t dress for RSL and only subbed last game. Could be a good option to replace seba’s height.

Mikmacdo
03-09-2019, 10:04 PM
Saw on twitter that Plata didn’t dress for RSL and only subbed last game. Could be a good option to replace seba’s height.

Plata for vdw! Make it happen Ali

Oldtimer
03-09-2019, 10:06 PM
I think they will sign one winger asap and see how thing go, then in the summer window they will have a better idea of what they need.

My gut feeling too. One winger now, maybe one in summer, or another defender should the defense be a mess.

wynne
03-09-2019, 10:32 PM
Injured

ensco
03-09-2019, 11:00 PM
You really don’t have much in the way of supply of players in March.

DinamoTFC
03-11-2019, 12:21 AM
Sorry not a First team signing but since I'm bored of waiting Tfc 2 have signed Panamanian Jesus West. He was on trial.

https://twitter.com/costadelestefc/status/1104818255221452801?s=19

Luanda
03-11-2019, 07:05 PM
My question: where are the reinforcements?
No speculation since the Pozo signing.
What's up? Nothing on the rumor mill!!

Defoe
03-11-2019, 07:21 PM
My question: where are the reinforcements?
No speculation since the Pozo signing.
What's up? Nothing on the rumor mill!!

crickets in here

Luanda
03-11-2019, 07:29 PM
Sorry, Defoe, is that an ANGLO joke?

Defoe
03-11-2019, 07:50 PM
kind of

Valdal
03-11-2019, 11:19 PM
Okay so really what else do we need on the roster?

$850k TAM Right Back
$1.2M TAM Left-Winger
$1.5 TAM Right-Winger

James17930
03-11-2019, 11:22 PM
I'm actually kind of glad there aren't a bunch of wild rumours making the rounds again.

I actually want them to wait a bit - like 3 or 4 games with Poz in the lineup - to know exactly what it is we need. Is it truly a winger? Or are we going to find we have to play with 3 at the back and so we need more cover at CB? Is Jozy going to get hurt quickly again and we'll need a big striker?

I think the Philly game showed we have decent depth (decent, not great) at most positions, meaning we don't need to rush into a signing. The window is open until May, remember.

Valdal
03-11-2019, 11:27 PM
I'm actually kind of glad there aren't a bunch of wild rumours making the rounds again.

I actually want them to wait a bit - like 3 or 4 games with Poz in the lineup - to know exactly what it is we need. Is it truly a winger? Or are we going to find we have to play with 3 at the back and so we need more cover at CB? Is Jozy going to get hurt quickly again and we'll need a big striker?

I think the Philly game showed we have decent depth (decent, not great) at most positions, meaning we don't need to rush into a signing. The window is open until May, remember.

I agree but this is a yeah MLSE needs to show which direction they want to go in. Our team now is top 5 in the league if everyone remains healthy and everyone gels together. It takes weeks to get a decent transfer so may is be going to creep up real Quick! Typical the sooner you can get your signing in the better.

James17930
03-12-2019, 04:21 AM
I agree but this is a yeah MLSE needs to show which direction they want to go in. Our team now is top 5 in the league if everyone remains healthy and everyone gels together. It takes weeks to get a decent transfer so may is be going to creep up real Quick! Typical the sooner you can get your signing in the better.

But as we've seen, they already have players identified... it's just a matter of making the move.

But let's wait a bit longer to make sure we really fill a need and not just for the sake of it.

Mikmacdo
03-12-2019, 05:49 AM
Okay so really what else do we need on the roster?

$850k TAM Right Back
$1.2M TAM Left-Winger
$1.5 TAM Right-Winger

They need a CB more than a right back imo if they go three at the back.

Ultra & Proud
03-12-2019, 06:31 AM
Get Curtis on the phone fast and offer VDW plus cash for Villalba before Atlanta sacks De Boer. I was going to say it half jokingly but FDB doesn't rate Villalba, insists on his system no matter what (which VDW knows), and has Brek Shea at FB so obviously he really doesn't have a clue.

Areathrasher
03-12-2019, 07:43 AM
Get Curtis on the phone fast and offer VDW plus cash for Villalba before Atlanta sacks De Boer. I was going to say it half jokingly but FDB doesn't rate Villalba, insists on his system no matter what (which VDW knows), and has Brek Shea at FB so obviously he really doesn't have a clue.

I would absolutely LOVE this.

However, while I think FDB would go for it, I can't see Bocanegra doing it.

Valdal
03-12-2019, 10:55 AM
Giovani Dos Santos at $1.5 million to man the right wing anyone?

Ultra & Proud
03-12-2019, 11:04 AM
Giovani Dos Santos at $1.5 million to man the right wing anyone?
Then we can bring VDW back and have two guys on the right side standing around doing nothing.

ag futbol
03-12-2019, 12:10 PM
Then we can bring VDW back and have two guys on the right side standing around doing nothing.
Well played.

It appears the options right now are either: 1) take a low priced rental for a few months with an option to buy. 2) wait until the summer window and spend TAM on something more permanent

Valdal
03-12-2019, 12:22 PM

Giovinco just stood around to if you truly watched him play.

Dos Santos has that attacking and passing foot that we sorely are lacking right now. He's a past first player that is being paid to score goals and I think that why people are down on him. Yes he isn't good defensively but neither was Giovinco. Put him next to Altidore so he can pass him the pass and work with him around defense lapses! At $1.5 million I think its a gamble worth taking and him and his agent would like to take that deal to build his value back up to sing that last contract at 30

Valdal
03-12-2019, 12:23 PM
Well played.

It appears the options right now are either: 1) take a low priced rental for a few months with an option to buy. 2) wait until the summer window and spend TAM on something more permanent

I think they need to bring in somebody in the first 4 games of the year. It usually takes players 3-4 weeks to fully acclimate into a new environment. If we plan to make the playoffs we need the whole team clicking on all cylinders asap!!

ag futbol
03-12-2019, 12:30 PM
^ Would be nice but it’s too late in the window to realistically have good primary options.

I really don’t think getting things done immediately is the concern here. Better to wait and get the right player rather than be saddled with another Aketxe.

69Chevy396
03-12-2019, 01:26 PM
Probably your funniest ever post. Touche.

notthesun
03-12-2019, 02:40 PM

This would be perhaps the biggest steal of a trade in MLS history so sign me up

Ultra & Proud
03-12-2019, 02:53 PM
This would be perhaps the biggest steal of a trade in MLS history so sign me up
I'd give it a shot if I were Curtis. Worst case is that Bocanegra nixes it. If FDB gets his way then I think it could happen. Not sure why he decided to bench Villalba but FDB's former supporters mention him not liking working with South Americans. If true then he really picked the right team and they really picked the right manager.

Hamilton_Red
03-14-2019, 12:25 PM
Boy the rumour mill has dried up. I don't understand sending Telfer to York - he broke through and made some first team appearances and did reasonably well. He would be ahead of the Endoh and a few others in my books. At 25 - I'd be surprised if he comes back.

Valdal
03-14-2019, 02:02 PM
Boy the rumour mill has dried up. I don't understand sending Telfer to York - he broke through and made some first team appearances and did reasonably well. He would be ahead of the Endoh and a few others in my books. At 25 - I'd be surprised if he comes back.

It has and it scares me! Maybe the front office was blindsided by the players leaving so early and had nothing lined up. Coupled with Our GM leaving and getting a new one in just might take a few months to get some good players in! But after 5-6 games that might not be early enough but we shall see !

ensco
03-14-2019, 03:47 PM
I really wish we were in on Gaitan. On TAM! Wow.

magmadragon
03-14-2019, 03:54 PM
I really wish we were in on Gaitan. On TAM! Wow.

He'll be a DP next year. This is basically like Zlatan at LA.

pekduck
03-14-2019, 03:55 PM
It’s technically on DTAM. No idea what that is.

Areathrasher
03-14-2019, 04:14 PM
It’s technically on DTAM. No idea what that is.

Discretionary TAM.

MLS clubs also will have the flexibility to spend up to an additional $2.8 million of TAM, on a discretionary basis funded by the team, per year in both 2018 and 2019, which will further enhance the quality of play across the league. This injection should increase a teams ability to build their rosters with increased flexibility and help add high-quality players outside of their Designated Player spots.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/12/08/mls-announces-increase-targeted-allocation-money-2018-and-2019

pekduck
03-14-2019, 04:23 PM
So is that just another way of increasing TAM by overspend up to $2.8M beyond TAM. In this way the overspend portion is not available for trading?

ManUtd4ever
03-14-2019, 06:18 PM
Manning was a guest on TSN1050 this morning and he mentioned that he's trying to add a couple of more players within the month using TAM.

portu
03-14-2019, 06:32 PM
Manning was a guest on TSN1050 this morning and he mentioned that he's trying to add a couple of more players within the month using TAM.
That's what he said last month too just saying

portu
03-14-2019, 09:05 PM
Okay CAI out of CCL. Bring me Omar Browne right now, Bill.

Mikmacdo
03-14-2019, 09:22 PM
Okay CAI out of CCL. Bring me Omar Browne right now, Bill.
I prefer Ivey and TFC needs a left winger more than a right winger imo.

portu
03-14-2019, 09:33 PM
I prefer Ivey and TFC needs a left winger more than a right winger imo.

At this point I could care less whichever they brought in.

Auzzy
03-14-2019, 10:02 PM
It's kind of sad if we're still scouting based on who we've played in CCL. Sounds like the bad old days.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-14-2019, 10:35 PM
Doubt they'll be from CCL, expecting South America

langilleski
03-16-2019, 12:35 AM
Giancarlo Gonzalez linked to Galaxy, which would mean they would need to move to top spot. Though I believe Cincinnati would get a cut

Mikmacdo
03-16-2019, 06:58 AM
Giancarlo Gonzalez linked to Galaxy, which would mean they would need to move to top spot. Though I believe Cincinnati would get a cut

What if they traded a player to get the #1 spot?

DinamoTFC
03-16-2019, 07:49 AM
What if they traded a player to get the #1 spot?

We get the legs, cincy can have his arms.

(Cincy gets 50% only for monetary trade)

Webdogg
03-16-2019, 07:57 AM

Why do they have to move to number 1? Everyone always seems to belief you have to move up but you simply do not.

I understand if the player is someone everyone will want that’s how it seems to go but if the current #1 has no interest then #2 is ok and so on down the line.

Maybe TFC would have interest since he’s a CB but I doubt it. It’s almost 100% certain TFC has there eyes on someone who’s returning in the summer so they probably don’t want to waste the pick or pick now and have to reaquire it later.

IMO the chance of TFC trading or using the pick now is low

Red CB Toronto
03-16-2019, 08:09 AM
Why do they have to move to number 1? Everyone always seems to belief you have to move up but you simply do not.

I understand if the player is someone everyone will want that’s how it seems to go but if the current #1 has no interest then #2 is ok and so on down the line.

Maybe TFC would have interest since he’s a CB but I doubt it. It’s almost 100% certain TFC has there eyes on someone who’s returning in the summer so they probably don’t want to waste the pick or pick now and have to reaquire it later.

IMO the chance of TFC trading or using the pick now is low

TFC will only make a move if if they believe it's right for the team, simple as that.

Smokecell
03-16-2019, 10:31 AM
Obviously no substance to this but hearing Pato has left his club in China...if he was somehow attainable on a TAM deal after raking in the cash in China I think he'd be worth a shot. I know we're supposed to be moving away from having 2 strikers but I'm not sold on our depth up front, and perhaps having someone like Pozuelo to feed through balls could make a nice match.

DinamoTFC
03-16-2019, 10:36 AM
Still only 29. If it's a free transfer and a TAM deal take him in a heart beat, whether that's even realistic.

portu
03-16-2019, 01:45 PM
Pato on a Nico Gaitan style deal please.

ensco
03-16-2019, 01:55 PM
Pato on a Nico Gaitan style deal please.

Co sign

portu
03-16-2019, 02:48 PM
Pozuelo (DP), Pato (TAM) would be the reverse of Vazquez (TAM), Giovinco (DP). But younger. And perhaps even better.

Mikmacdo
03-16-2019, 05:27 PM
Pozuelo (DP), Pato (TAM) would be the reverse of Vazquez (TAM), Giovinco (DP). But younger. And perhaps even better.

I read the galaxy have discovery rights to Pato? Maybe trade his rights for the number one allocation spot?

portu
03-16-2019, 05:53 PM
I read the galaxy have discovery rights to Pato? Maybe trade his rights for the number one allocation spot?
Max you can get for someone's discovery rights is 50k GAM