PDA

View Full Version : 2019 TFC Points Predicition

03-01-2019, 09:34 AM
The person who predicts correctly at the end of the year gets....a pat on the back.

03-01-2019, 09:40 AM
I'm going with 50 points and the 6th seed.

Super
03-01-2019, 09:52 AM
On paper we should be competitive this season - especially if we add a few more players. It's down to Vanney's ability to use the squad and to motivate them. Failure to make the play-offs should spell the end of Vanney here. Same for Manning and Curtis. Play-offs is a MUST!

GerMc
03-01-2019, 09:59 AM
I'm guessing 47 and with half a chance of making the playoffs. We are doing a bit of a rebuild at the front, and seem satisfied with a weak back line.

OgtheDim
03-01-2019, 10:18 AM
42 - not in playoffs . Vanney let go but kept on as academy director. Fraser elevated.

And ya'll know I'm not going to be happy about how this ends.

gracos
03-01-2019, 10:27 AM
Its kind of telling that as of current no one sees this team being Supporters Shield or one of the top teams, management should try to strive for perfection however seems like they don't have a clear identity and us supporters see that clearly, its going to be a rough season

OgtheDim
03-01-2019, 10:34 AM
I think there is an identity - solid defence playing the ball through the lines quickly to create attacks. That was 2017. The problem is our defence has been crud since.

fergiejr
03-01-2019, 10:44 AM
Solid playoff team this year. If we end up in the wildcard spot, there will be no home playoff games which sucks large.

gracos
03-01-2019, 10:56 AM
I think there is an identity - solid defence playing the ball through the lines quickly to create attacks. That was 2017. The problem is our defence has been crud since.

If there is an identity to this team, not everyone is buying into it, a team will understand what is required, and I agree we did have an identity but we have lost it since 2017, Defence is a big problem and the club and team needs to understand and execute what is expected of that role and part of the field, and besides Altidore, who is going to score our goals this season; Pozuelo if he is signed and will only go off the TFC website, may work in our league or may be overwhelmed thinking that league will be a walk in the park because its not Europe; hes not proven his worth, as of right now; it feels like preseason was a building rapport exercise and not good enough to reclaim skills; we got bullied around by a Central American team, and didn't really have our field ready to go even though our CCL dates were announced a long time back, it just shows that management have lost a little control of where they want to take the team, and as supporters which I know sounds like im not; I can take frustration in that our management doesn't understand the proper process of running a club like a Atl United or LA Galaxy; with the backing of the MLSE we should have no excuse of not being able to run an efficient club and have great results, last year was painful but as of current I don't see us turning the corner and know its going to be a tough year ahead

ScarboroughRed
03-01-2019, 11:18 AM
New playoff format is 7 teams going through so I see us (with our current team) scrapping it out for the 6 or 7 spot.

If we do get a healthy Jozy, good Pozuelo performances plus efficient TAM signings, we could vault up to 3 or 4.

woolly
03-01-2019, 11:20 AM
I'm going with cautious optimism...54 points and 3rd place in the east. I think this version of TFC struggles out of the gate and starts to gel around May, just like we did back in 2017. We don't have such a solid defense so we cough up more ties and a few more losses as a result.

Oldtimer
03-01-2019, 11:22 AM
On paper we should be competitive this season - especially if we add a few more players. It's down to Vanney's ability to use the squad and to motivate them. Failure to make the play-offs should spell the end of Vanney here. Same for Manning and Curtis. Play-offs is a MUST!

Vanney is at risk if the team gets all their pieces and still bombs out. If they don't get their pieces he gets another year.

Every GM gets a chance to bring in his own coach. Actually typically they get up to two tries. He won't be judged on Vanney.

Manning isn't going anywhere. He's judged more on finances than on results.

Oldtimer
03-01-2019, 11:24 AM
I say 50-59. We'll see.

Ultra & Proud
03-01-2019, 11:28 AM
I see us fighting for the last couple playoff spots. I say 48 points.

Kaz
03-01-2019, 12:02 PM
It will depend on the Expansion sides but I suspect... 36-42pts.

And if they miss the playoffs Vanney better be out.. "getting all his pieces" or not.. He has had years to get all his pieces. He has had 2 years to actually get defenders and offensive depth. He hasn't. So win with what you have or GTFO Greg.

michaeltfc91
03-01-2019, 12:04 PM
MLS: 11-15-8 ... 41 points total. 9th in the East, 17th in the league.
Voyageurs Cup - Lose in the Final
Champions League - Lose in the Round of 16 :)
Top Scorer - Jozy 11 goals

TFC1154ever
03-01-2019, 12:33 PM
Need to see all the pieces we add first before making a prediction.

greekasm
03-01-2019, 01:02 PM
9-13-12 39 points

I predict several late game defensive collapses that result in loss of points.

pfk
03-01-2019, 01:33 PM
I'm going with 53 points. It will be a rough start, but as Poz and a healthy Jozy gel, we'll have a good mid-season run. Hopefully, we'll have a decent TAM pick up to help us.

Captain
03-01-2019, 02:05 PM
I'm going to go with 51 points and roughly 4th place in the east.

69Chevy396
03-01-2019, 03:28 PM
50 points, largely because they will bore everyone to death playing 10 behind the ball at BMO, and where they will be hard to beat playing this way.

TFC1986
03-01-2019, 07:03 PM
40-49 point guess for me. And no playoffs.
Basing my assumption on how we played Panama.

ensco
03-01-2019, 09:29 PM
There is a concept in behavioural psychology called the “peak-end rule,” which holds that our memories of any given experience are defined not by how we felt about it moment to moment, but how we felt as it ended and how it felt at its most intense. Say you go to Italy, and the first five days are blighted by rain, but the last two are ablaze with sunshine. You are likely to remember that trip far more fondly than had it been the other way around.

The heart says 53 but the head says 35. So I vote 53.

Blkndkr
03-01-2019, 10:12 PM
53, I say.

red-o
03-01-2019, 10:50 PM
The heart says 53 but the head says 35. So I vote 53.
I should listen to my heart too but my head says 39. Please let me be wrong!!!

Defoe
03-02-2019, 01:42 AM
In my opinion, Bradley and Osorio have a lot of heart. They will keep those around them honest. After a terrible season, Bradley has to much pride not to rebound.

Pozuelo will be a huge addition (but he also just played an entire season in Belgium right?)

I'd expect 20 games from Altidore

I think we're better then Orlando and Montreal. Pozo, Osorio, Altidore should be able to work enough magic together to get us some wins.

I think there will be a lot more 1 point games

Defence is a huge question mark

Future TAM addition(s) remains a question mark.

The East is pretty solid again. NYCFC a little worse, the Fire a bit better.

Philly will be ok.

Atlanta, NYRB, D.C united are the closest things to locks to be in the top 7.

Columbus lost their coach

Revs are a bit better they added a spanish CAM

TFC will be healthier

I'll put TFC around 9th and 37 points without any TAM signings.

With a couple TAM signings and some younger players step up maybe they can finish 7th. Our goal should be 7th and just clinch a playoff spot at around 43-45 points

My final estimation is 8th place, 40 points.

edit: On March 4th (after 1 game) I changed my vote to 46 points and 6th place.

General Woolfe
03-02-2019, 03:40 AM
Around 47 pointS if we’re lucky. We’ll probably miss the playoffs as MLSE seem content with a single championship season. They passed up the chance of building a dynasty and I expect to see more and more Argos signage at BMO as MLSE hedge their bets. The decision to let both Séba and Vasquez go without adequate replacements. Osorio being viewed as one of our ‘star’ players when he’s really no more than an average journeyman. Akinola, Bakero, Hamilton, and Endoh all in the first team squad. Akinola, Bakero, Hamilton, and Endoh all in the first team squad and likely to feature regularly

The complete failure to replace Séba, like for like, instead bringing in an average player like Boyd, leaves us with a complete lack of an attacking threat. I really can’t see where the goals are going to come from. Re-signing Altidore and treating it like he’s the second coming, shows how much contempt MLSE have for the fans. He’s likely to miss half the season with hamstring issues as he has most of his career. The defence is a shambles with aging players like Ciman and Moor, likely to leak like a sieve. Letting Hagglund go instead of the coach’s favourite nephew and the failure to off load Ver dear Weil will cost us goals to be sure. Only Mavinga and Morrow inspire any confidence at the back and we need four defenders not 2. Auro was a bust for me, and it’s disappointing Vanney sees him as adequate. More goals will be lost due to his piss poor positioning.

I’m afraid we’re headed back to the bad old days, where being a member of the league is enough for MLSE. This will translate into to more mediocrity and misery for the TFC support. The off season has been an utter disaster and the more I think about it we’ll be lucky to get to 47 pts, it’ll likely be closer to 37

I don’t think I’ve ever been less enthusiastic about the start of a new season than this year.

Fort York Redcoat
03-02-2019, 08:42 AM
Its kind of telling that as of current no one sees this team being Supporters Shield or one of the top teams, management should try to strive for perfection however seems like they don't have a clear identity and us supporters see that clearly, its going to be a rough season

You say this far nicer than I can.

I don't usually chime in here but you mentioning management makes it irresistible. To put it simply- This team has subtracted and has waited post Champions League to rebuild on the cheap.

If they want to slow down on over spending for success, ok. But supporters expect the extra work it takes in building instead of buying.

This year needs to be Supporters Shield and Vcup or the season is a disappointment. They chose their priorities. I don't share them but I'll hold it to them.

portu
03-02-2019, 10:29 AM
35 points.

craz11
03-02-2019, 11:24 AM
29 points

Gringo Starr
03-02-2019, 11:27 AM
Top three in the east with at least 56

Detroit_TFC
03-02-2019, 12:26 PM
I anticipate a miserable start, some changes during the summer, and a bounce back in the fall. Playoffs? I don't think I need to pencil that into my calendar.

stevep
03-03-2019, 11:06 AM
As of right now for what its worth BET365 has us finishing solidly in 4th place in the East at a minimum
we are really close to finishing in 3rd place in the east with NYCFC

Initial B
03-04-2019, 08:23 AM
Thanks for doing this. For some reason I'm not able to post a poll this year. Hopefully I can figure it out for next year, but for now here is a link to last year's poll, which contains further links to the ones before that: http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?41394-TFC-Points-Poll-for-2018

I think TFC is going to struggle for the first half of the season as the new pieces try to fit into Vanney's 4-3-3 system and the team builds chemistry. I'm not sure Ciman is the answer at the back and I think we're gong to get burned by teams with pace this year. I'm expecting around 49 points and a 6th or 7th place finish, just squeaking into the playoffs and going out in the second round.

urdiub
03-04-2019, 04:47 PM
I fully think this team is capable of finishing at 56-59 points, especially if Jozy is healthy. Betting it safe me is expecting 50-52 and playing away for the entire run to the cup.

jabbronies
03-04-2019, 05:17 PM
50-59

The thing that will lose them points will be the strike rate.
Jozy will be too often injured and Hamilton, Akinola, Boyd are not clinical enough.

They'll do alright, but could be better.

backbeat
03-04-2019, 05:39 PM
63 - if they sign 2 TAM - a solid winger and CB plus a 3rd TAM in the summer after shedding VdW

Red4ever
03-04-2019, 05:42 PM
43 points.

Ugg.

Richard
03-04-2019, 05:50 PM
60-69

Call me delusional but I saw some spark in the season opener to suggest we still have that winning spirit.

ensco
03-04-2019, 07:24 PM
Moving this to where my response belongs....

Everything 2017 has to die in order for TFC to rise again.

(Only slightly facetious)

I can imagine Bradley and Altidore being core to a shock MLS 2019 Cup win.

If Poz works out, Altidore is healthy, and we come together later in year... who would want any part of us in a one-and-done playoff scenario?

Other core guys would be Morrow, Mavinga, Osorio, maybe Delgado too. I am not exactly predicting this, but I can see it.

I can see it.

OgtheDim
03-04-2019, 07:40 PM
Only if the defence turns completely around & we have seen no sign of that yet.

The team has to mentally turn the page on being that unit that won in 2017.

Attack wise, for moments on Tuesday & Saturday, we saw the non-Seba future, specifically with DeLeon. Hopefully the game against NYC we see the change to the non-Seba future in place.

But, the defence has to get better cause in trying to return back to the good old days of 2017, its looking circa 2007 right now.

ensco
03-04-2019, 09:41 PM
Only if the defence turns completely around & we have seen no sign of that yet.

The team has to mentally turn the page on being that unit that won in 2017.

Attack wise, for moments on Tuesday & Saturday, we saw the non-Seba future, specifically with DeLeon. Hopefully the game against NYC we see the change to the non-Seba future in place.

But, the defence has to get better cause in trying to return back to the good old days of 2017, its looking circa 2007 right now.

They have been atrocious at the back the two games they have played this year, no question (I don't count Panama at BMO, that wasn't soccer).

But I really don't see Mavinga, Moor, Ciman etc, as comparable to Marco Reda, Adam Braz etc

I suspect we will suck for the first couple of months. Then we will see. MLS history is full of teams that heat up late and roll, and the new playoff format makes that even more possible.

My scenario is that they scuff along, squeak in as a fifth place seem or something, but if they are healthy... look out - suddenly everyone re-learns that the one guy in the entire league that you want on your team in a knockout game is Jozy Altidore.

Blindside16
03-05-2019, 03:53 AM
I am going with 55 points and finishing 4th in the East

stevep
03-18-2019, 09:18 AM
as of today 3/18, the oddsmakers have TFC, NYCFC and Atlanta United all with equal odds of finishing 2nd in the East behind the NYRB.

stevep
04-01-2019, 11:39 AM
as of today 3/18, the oddsmakers have TFC, NYCFC and Atlanta United all with equal odds of finishing 2nd in the East behind the NYRB.

as of today betvictor has tfc projected to finish tied in first in the east with NYRB. so right now it is a toss up for first in the east between tfc and nyrb

tied for 3rd best team in mls overall (tied with nyrb and seatle) behind the two L.A's

https://www.betvictor.com/en-gb/sports/football/usa-mls-cup-outright/coupons/100/203313210/0/4432/0/PE/0/0/0/0/1

CBTFC
04-02-2019, 07:22 AM
Would be interesting to see if any of the first posters in this thread are sticking with what they've guessed (because let's be honest, it's a shot in the dark), or are willing to alter their prediction based on results so far.

paul-collins
04-02-2019, 02:06 PM
I was always in the upper 60's bracket, nothing has really changed for me. I think the defence gets sorted over the next 6 weeks and then we become formidable.

pfk
04-02-2019, 03:22 PM
Is anyone going to predict 102 points now? :)

Oldtimer
04-02-2019, 03:43 PM
Sticking with the high 50's. We don't have enough depth for the inevitable injuries so while we'll almost certainly make the playoffs, I doubt we'll make the Supporters Shield race again (although I'd be ecstatic to be wrong).

stevep
04-02-2019, 05:17 PM
58pts

MightyDM
04-02-2019, 05:21 PM
60 points. A very good team because of the existing quality, work rate and heart - Bradley, Moor, Jozy, Oso, Marky, Mavinga, and Morrow make us a very solid experienced team with something to prove. Deleon Auro and of course Poz are nice additions, and the players off the bench will be fighting for their careers - and will bring youth. I like it, alot.

Initial B
04-02-2019, 06:39 PM
I guessed 49 points because I didn't think we'd get Pozuelo before the Belgian playoffs ended and that there would be a chemistry disrupted period. Based on what I've seen so far, I think they win at least half their games and tie half the remaining games, so I'd revise it to 60 points.

Detroit_TFC
04-03-2019, 09:00 PM
I anticipate a miserable start, some changes during the summer, and a bounce back in the fall. Playoffs? I don't think I need to pencil that into my calendar.

Not to jinx things, but wowzer, things look sooo different now compared to a month ago.