Dynamo @ Guatastoya (Guatemala) 10pm

Apparently Yahoo is streaming the CCL in the US. As for up here....:noidea:

burlington Red
02-19-2019, 08:49 AM
TONIGHT

Tigres @ Saprissa 8pm

Dynamo @ Guatastoya (Guatemala) 10pm

Apparently Yahoo is streaming the CCL in the US. As for up here....:noidea:

TSN4 (https://www.livesoccertv.com/channels/tsn4-canada/), TSN GO (https://www.livesoccertv.com/channels/tsn-go-canada/)

OgtheDim
02-19-2019, 08:50 AM
TSN4 (https://www.livesoccertv.com/channels/tsn4-canada/), TSN GO (https://www.livesoccertv.com/channels/tsn-go-canada/)

For our games, yes. But the other games?

magmadragon
02-19-2019, 07:24 PM
For our games, yes. But the other games?

If Yahoo is geoblocked I'm going to assume a VPN will do the trick.

jazzy
02-20-2019, 09:00 PM
Watching red bulls , and BWP scores , nice to see a well coached team play strong this early in the season . Where can we find a good coach , yes I said it . We so deserve a pro . Houston won as well last night . Another well coached team . Own goal from his kick actually .

Yohan
02-21-2019, 09:49 PM
SKC spanking Toluca 3-0 at home.

SoccMan2
02-21-2019, 09:53 PM
Anybody have a stream for any of the CCL games tonight?

Lennon
02-21-2019, 10:40 PM
Don't know about you guys but I'm rooting hard for anyone not MLS. Especially Atlanta.

jasper
02-21-2019, 10:52 PM
Don't know about you guys but I'm rooting hard for anyone not MLS. Especially Atlanta.

ATL down 2-0 and I couldn’t be happier.

JT Red127
02-21-2019, 11:03 PM
ATL down 2-0 and I couldn’t be happier.

Except they just got a huge away goal right before half. They need to lose 4-1 for Herediano to have a chance back in Atl.

jasper
02-21-2019, 11:13 PM
Except they just got a huge away goal right before half. They need to lose 4-1 for Herediano to have a chance back in Atl.

Im not particularly concerned over whether they advance or not. would just like to see their fan base deal with a gut punch of disappointment for once.

Shway
02-21-2019, 11:22 PM
currently 3-1.

http://rowfirst.eu/soccer/kas-cs-herediano-atlanta-united-fc-otda2bbb5?l=1177703448

Defoe
02-22-2019, 12:48 AM
Im not particularly concerned over whether they advance or not. would just like to see their fan base deal with a gut punch of disappointment for once.

I was cheering for Atlanta (and all other MLS teams) I'm still in that phase where I want MLS teams to do well. MLS need respect and status and CCL championships are how we get it

OgtheDim
02-22-2019, 07:15 AM
Just a reminder that the Atlanta return leg is not in their usual stadium. (not available due to a monster dirt bike thing or something)

All its going to take is 1 away goal & we all know Atlanta can ship goals.

Some of the most vocal ATL supporters already on the "well we didn't REALLY take this seriously" excuse.

jazzy
02-22-2019, 09:12 AM
Meanwhile Houston New York and KC all , well coached btw are making MLS proud . And good on them I have nothing against Atlanta they have a top notch tactical coach and it will be interesting to see how well they perform this year . Since the only exciting soccer we will see this year is from the opposition , we should support the successful clubs .

JT Red127
02-22-2019, 09:30 AM
I was cheering for Atlanta (and all other MLS teams) I'm still in that phase where I want MLS teams to do well. MLS need respect and status and CCL championships are how we get it

I'm curious who are you looking to get respect from? Mexico respects the league much more than they did just 5 years ago, TFC helped with that last year no doubt and some other runs MLS teams have made i'm sure have. Quality of players in the league have helped. I dont know, personally I don't want any MLS team to win except TFC, especially if they are going to be the first to win CCL.

OgtheDim
02-22-2019, 10:16 AM
Since the only exciting soccer we will see this year is from the opposition , .

We both remember unexicting soccer - this team is better then those and will provide some exicting stuff. Will it win and get playoffs? I doubt it. But boring? Doubtful.

Lennon
02-22-2019, 11:56 AM
I dont know, personally I don't want any MLS team to win except TFC, especially if they are going to be the first to win CCL.

Ditto. MLS isn't my league. My team just happens to play in it.

Would be hilarious if a CPL team won it before an MLS team did :D

And before you say that's impossible, look at Puerto Rico Islanders run a few years back.

SoccMan2
02-28-2019, 10:11 PM
Atlanta after losing in Costa Rica against Herediano 3-1 comes back and easily disposes Heridiano 4-0 at home to advance to the quarterfinals.

69Chevy396
02-28-2019, 10:42 PM
Atlanta after losing in Costa Rica against Herediano 3-1 comes back and easily disposes Heridiano 4-0 at home to advance to the quarterfinals.
Atlanta is looking great, mid season form, and will probably go far in both concacaf and MLS this season.

Defoe
02-28-2019, 11:01 PM
Atlanta is looking great, mid season form, and will probably go far in both concacaf and MLS this season.

I watched the first half of both Sporting KC and Atlanta. Both teams dominating possession. Maybe this is the year an MLS team goes all the way

gracos
03-01-2019, 12:24 AM
Please correct me if im wrong however after the 1st round of Concacaf, all MLS teams advanced except TFC

SirBobSaget
03-01-2019, 12:53 AM
Please correct me if im wrong however after the 1st round of Concacaf, all MLS teams advanced except TFC

Your right and TFC had one of the easier opponents, Preki and Winter era teams got past Panama no problem. So lets not question Vanney because Jozy was extended so everything is OK.

SoccMan2
03-01-2019, 06:28 AM
So TFC wins MLS Cup 2017 and in 2018 doesn’t even make the playoffs almost has one of the worst regular season of all teams in the MLS in 2018, TFC makes it all the way to the CONCACAF Champions League Final and loses on PKS in the final and in 2019 crashes out and gets embarrassed to a team from the Panamanian league in the first round incredible but so TFC lol just embarrassing!

michaeltfc91
03-05-2019, 11:10 AM
I was thinking about this and I think I found a little bit of a solution for MLS teams to be able to compete in the league as well as CONCACAF.

For teams in the CL, have them play each other in league play for the first month of the season as much as possible. That way they can virtually both play B teams against each other) and no one is giving up points for free. With 5 teams in CL, it leaves one team out per week, but at least you can say that 4 of your first 5 games will be against teams competing in Champions League (or at least were supposed to be in the CL). It isn't perfect, but it at least should help. The only thing now is it leaves a team like Toronto who didn't advance to have an advantage by playing teams that are still in CONCACAF, but that only affects a game or two

jazzy
03-05-2019, 10:09 PM
Red bulls got tfc’d tonight ....out run , and missed their best chances . Santos sharp and on the ball , Red Bulls tired and surprised by the mid season form of Santos . Was hoping for better ....2-0, tough hill to climb . Hopefully the same doesn’t hold true for other MLS hopefuls or the Concacaf push is simply too many obstacles for MLS teams ...at seasons start .

Ultra & Proud
03-05-2019, 10:15 PM
Red bulls got tfc’d tonight ....out run , and missed their best chances . Santos sharp and on the ball , Red Bulls tired and surprised by the mid season form of Santos . Was hoping for better ....2-0, tough hill to climb . Hopefully the same doesn’t hold true for other MLS hopefuls or the Concacaf push is simply too many obstacles for MLS teams ...at seasons start .
Their press rained so much shit on their teams for the NYRB & TFC runs last year that it looks like the Mexican teams, minus Toluca, are taking this more seriously. I expect Houston to get royally swatted by Tigres now.

tfcfans
03-06-2019, 12:19 AM
Well it looks like the next two MLS teams are gone without much of a fight....Santos and Tigres are likely home winners after both winning 2-0 on the road.....let's see if Atlanta can step up and beat Monterrey or at least stay competitive and get an away goal tomorrow night....KC beating Independiente (despite our horrific performance) will prove nothing to me until they beat a top Mexican team home and away ---- I am still not convinced anyone could have done what TFC did last year in terms of the gauntlet of teams they had to play for the last three rounds and perform as highly as we did.....obviously if Atlanta or KC make it to the Finals, it will clearly not be as difficult a road as we had to do....if NYRB could beat Santos then Tigres then Monterrey that's the kind of gauntlet we had to do and they won't likely make it past the first real "hurdle"......I think we will look back on that 2017 TFC run from March 2017 through April 2018 as one of the best of all time --- I still don't think Atlanta or NYRB of 2018-2019 are as good as that team and will accomplish as much.....

OgtheDim
03-06-2019, 07:24 AM
Tigres want this one bad - their disappointment last year was palpable & they knew they blew it in the 1st away leg.

I think we might be the last MLS team to be not taken seriously in CCL for awhile.

Defoe
03-06-2019, 07:49 AM
Tigres want this one bad - their disappointment last year was palpable & they knew they blew it in the 1st away leg.

I think we might be the last MLS team to be not taken seriously in CCL for awhile.

yeah, Tigers view them selves as the Boca Juniors, PSV or Beskitas of Concacaf. Losing to "MLS" was not good for their brand.

TFC1154ever
03-06-2019, 09:21 PM
Independente up 1-0 at half over KC. Hopefully people can get their noises out of the sky, and stop dismissing these smaller countries league champions.

GerMc
03-06-2019, 10:06 PM
Independente up 1-0 at half over KC. Hopefully people can get their noises out of the sky, and stop dismissing these smaller countries league champions.

Final 2-1, CAI over Sporting KC. Not 4-0, but maybe CAI is not as bad as everyone thought.

TFC/Everton
03-06-2019, 10:47 PM
Anyone have a stream for the ATL game?

kodiakTFC
03-06-2019, 11:16 PM
Final 2-1, CAI over Sporting KC. Not 4-0, but maybe CAI is not as bad as everyone thought.

Not entirely. This is Sporting’s B side. They appear to be taking MLS far more seriously. Even that 3-0 win over Toluca ya finch of their b team playing.

RealG-TFC
03-06-2019, 11:54 PM
Loving these results tbh

barticusz
03-07-2019, 12:24 AM
Hmm Notlanta isn’t looking good the last couple games. Curious to see how their mls season plays out.

OgtheDim
03-07-2019, 07:43 AM
Hmm Notlanta isn’t looking good the last couple games. Curious to see how their mls season plays out.

De Boer is trying to shoehorn a 4-1-4-1 CA team into a 3-4-3 possession style - they are going to struggle. He has form for this. I suspect Atlanta hired based on name & familiarity with Darren Eales then fitting into a system. Its their first BIG misstep.

Ultra & Proud
03-07-2019, 11:15 AM
I am enjoying this -----> https://twitter.com/DeBoerMustGo

Welcome to MLS.

Joe Kool
03-07-2019, 11:29 AM
Going to be a long time before any MLS team has a run like TFC did in the last CCL against such tough competition. MLS fans can laugh about our 2018 MLS season all they want but none of the MLS entries this year look to have what it takes and are even close to what TFC was when they made the run. That is my opinion anyway. I think TFC will have a good MLS season this year and will hopefully make a better go of it next CCL assuming we win the Canadian Championship again of course. I think the next team that could have a run like TFC did could be...well....TFC if all things go well until next CCL.

stegosaurus
03-07-2019, 12:39 PM
Going to be a long time before any MLS team has a run like TFC did in the last CCL against such tough competition. MLS fans can laugh about our 2018 MLS season all they want but none of the MLS entries this year look to have what it takes and are even close to what TFC was when they made the run. That is my opinion anyway. I think TFC will have a good MLS season this year and will hopefully make a better go of it next CCL assuming we win the Canadian Championship again of course. I think the next team that could have a run like TFC did could be...well....TFC if all things go well until next CCL.

There were certainly a lot of salty Atlanta fans thinking they’d walk the CCL because they were better than “the best MLS team ever.” They’re harping on “b-b-but MLS can’t compete with a salary cap!” As well as “pre-season form” and “player fitness,” or “but we lost our best player” and “new coach.” While maybe the coaching change and loss of Almiron could have a net negative effect, TFC was in the same situation for most of the CCL and everyone declared Pity Martinez the second coming...

Despite the rest of the season, a Delgado sitter away from winning the CCL was a massive feat, especially with going through CA and Tigres.

OgtheDim
03-07-2019, 12:59 PM
I think one thing NYRB & us last year should have taught MLS teams is that stability from year to year is key to CCL success.

Here's a twitter thread take on De Boer from an ATL fan who has watched Ajax quite a bit (I use the thread reader app to make stuff easier to find later)

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1103703851641769985.html

Redpunkfiddle
03-07-2019, 01:56 PM
I am enjoying this -----> https://twitter.com/DeBoerMustGo

Welcome to MLS.

Haha. Not sure if serious:

My son won't stop crying after that disgusting performance. Dogs started barking now too. Household in chaos. Shaking with rage. Just shattered my glass table. Had enough. #DeBoerOut (https://mobile.twitter.com/hashtag/DeBoerOut?src=hash)

tfcfans
03-07-2019, 02:27 PM
I have to admit that I poked around the Atlanta boards a bit today (the schadenfreude potential here is huge!), just to see how the tone had changed magically from a few months ago and how dismissive everyone was of our 2017 season and how they were vastly superior in 2018 than we were in 2017 (they invented soccer and supporters culture don’t you know?!). Hearing them complain about injuries and schedule congestion already, ring pretty hollow to me - Toronto was injured and lost games due to schedule congestion last year too when going through CCL - they likely won’t even get past one trip to Mexico. Look at our back line against Chivas; not exactly our “A” team either.....

Look at the stats Atl - you scored less goals and gave up more than we did in your Championship Season, and even adding in the playoffs - the goals for is the same and the goals against still favours TFC in 2017. Both had 69 points, both won MLS Cup; we won a Shield and a domestic Cup; they won neither and lost at home to Chicago in their domestic Cup early on. Add in the performance in the following CCL tournament and there is no comparison - we did a gauntlet of three Mexican clubs only to lose on penalties in the final; I doubt they get past one LigaMX club.

I guarantee that if they ever become a subpar team, attendance will plummet in that market; take away the shiny new smell, and only having success so far, and that is not a stronger soccer market than most of the others out there......

BritSOL
03-07-2019, 06:49 PM
Potential salary cap changes to help with CCL :wink5:

https://www.thenutmegnews.com/current/2019/3/7/major-league-soccer-exploring-246-new-player-acquisition-and-salary-rules-that-will-close-ccl-gap-by-the-year-2945

Defoe
03-07-2019, 07:32 PM
Potential salary cap changes to help with CCL :wink5:

https://www.thenutmegnews.com/current/2019/3/7/major-league-soccer-exploring-246-new-player-acquisition-and-salary-rules-that-will-close-ccl-gap-by-the-year-2945

One leaked enhancement is the inclusion of WHAM!, an element of TAM in which you spend $1,000 on a vinyl copy of Fantastic and receive a salary decrease of any player on your roster by 1/3rd if you file this on the second Monday of the fourth day of the month of April in the year 2023, but only if you pre-apply every year up until that time with the office of the official player development and lottery funds initiative and only if you already have $150,000 in TAM, $200,000 in GAM and an international roster spot.

lol sums up MLS roster rules.

But seriously, hope they open up the leeway a little. MLS's communism style of parity/equality will help the leagues bottom teams and really force teams to develop talent within, but the growth process is frustrating; our top teams can't compete with the top teams of LIGA MX because there salary is 2 x.

SoccMan2
03-07-2019, 09:16 PM
[QUOTE=tfcfans;1892227]I have to admit that I poked around the Atlanta boards a bit today (the schadenfreude potential here is huge!), just to see how the tone had changed magically from a few months ago and how dismissive everyone was of our 2017 season and how they were vastly superior in 2018 than we were in 2017 (they invented soccer and supporters culture don’t you know?!). Hearing them complain about injuries and schedule congestion already, ring pretty hollow to me - Toronto was injured and lost games due to schedule congestion last year too when going through CCL - they likely won’t even get past one trip to Mexico. Look at our back line against Chivas; not exactly our “A” team either.....

Look at the stats Atl - you scored less goals and gave up more than we did in your Championship Season, and even adding in the playoffs - the goals for is the same and the goals against still favours TFC in 2017. Both had 69 points, both won MLS Cup; we won a Shield and a domestic Cup; they won neither and lost at home to Chicago in their domestic Cup early on. Add in the performance in the following CCL tournament and there is no comparison - we did a gauntlet of three Mexican clubs only to lose on penalties in the final; I doubt they get past one LigaMX club.

I guarantee that if they ever become a subpar team, attendance will plummet in that market; take away the shiny new smell, and only having success so far, and that is not a stronger soccer market than most of the others out there......[/QUOTEj Just like Seattle attendance has plummeted right? I don’t see attendance plummeting in Atlanta maybe it will go down a bit but not by much , Atlanta is no Columbus or Dallas or Colorado they have fans , moreover we should wonder about TFC who can’t seem too sellout BMO Field consistently.]

tfcfans
03-07-2019, 10:08 PM
Atlanta has a history of not supporting their sports teams very well, hockey (NHL left twice) and basketball very poorly; the Braves were amazing for a decade plus and attendance went down (I guess they got bored of being in the playoffs so often), and the Falcons are supported more when they are good then when they are not, but that part of the country is Football country the way we are hockey country so the NFL and NCAA support will be strong for football.

Seattle and the northwest has a history of supporting soccer and it’s a much bigger part of the culture there then it is in Atlanta. I agree that Toronto is not a soccer hotbed either (we are a niche sport here), but then again, we sat through 8 years of crap and still drew more than most teams in the league at the time. Have Atlanta do what we did for 8 years and then come and talk to me about their strong support - it hasn’t really been tested yet (a few years of losing will send away many - ask all those “new” Jays fans who have magically disappeared again in the last year or two after 2015-2016); only time will tell whether we are right or not I guess.....

jazzy
03-07-2019, 10:53 PM
I think one thing NYRB & us last year should have taught MLS teams is that stability from year to year is key to CCL success.

Here's a twitter thread take on De Boer from an ATL fan who has watched Ajax quite a bit (I use the thread reader app to make stuff easier to find later)

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1103703851641769985.html

interesting , I thought Atlanta was the hope of MLS in Concacaf, this informative read explains why Martinez is invisible as of late , after being last years ‘stars’ . MLS is in my opinion under the present format unfortunately not ready for prime time in Concacaf. All teams looked slow and constantly chasing the ball . The Latin teams were on the attack . As everyone knows the structure, unequal rosters, and timing of these games may be too much for MLS presently . Sadly . I guess we should pat ourself (TFC), on the back for our close attempt at winning but look how it destroyed our season last year . It may be time to ignore this competition until it’s made more equitable to MLS , or MLS opens up the rosters and cash .

Mike_S
03-08-2019, 12:14 PM
But seriously, hope they open up the leeway a little. MLS's communism style of parity/equality will help the leagues bottom teams and really force teams to develop talent within, but the growth process is frustrating; our top teams can't compete with the top teams of LIGA MX because there salary is 2 x.

Yeah, forced parity amongst a small group of affluent members that have strict and total control over entry into that group is actually the opposite of "communism style"... :-)

Mike_S
03-08-2019, 12:23 PM
I agree that Toronto is not a soccer hotbed either (we are a niche sport here), but then again, we sat through 8 years of crap and still drew more than most teams in the league at the time.

I strongly disagree with your description of Toronto's love of soccer. I believe Toronto IS a soccer hotbed. The problem is that support for the sport is so very fragmented, by far moreso in than in any other sport (ie. this group of fans follow this league, that group of fans follows that league, etc.). TFC got a parade on a freezing Monday afternoon - a workday - and thousands showed up.

I believe the support for this team will continue to increase as the quality of MLS play improves and more fans of the EPL , Serie A, etc. become persuaded to follow the home club as well.

Ultra & Proud
03-08-2019, 12:26 PM
Haha. Not sure if serious:

My son won't stop crying after that disgusting performance. Dogs started barking now too. Household in chaos. Shaking with rage. Just shattered my glass table. Had enough. #DeBoerOut (https://mobile.twitter.com/hashtag/DeBoerOut?src=hash)

That DeBoerout isn't 'real' but the Tweets from their supporters after sure are.

James17930
03-12-2019, 11:09 PM
So what happened in that Red Bulls game? Did they park the bus and get punished, or did Santos just crank it up 3 notches?

magmadragon
03-12-2019, 11:19 PM
They cranked it up in a 10 minute span. That last goal from way down field was the icing on the cake.

James17930
03-12-2019, 11:26 PM
They cranked it up in a 10 minute span. That last goal from way down field was the icing on the cake.

It's sad that MLS teams can still get mauled basically on a whim by Mexican opposition.

PizzaEatingYeti
03-13-2019, 04:51 AM
It's sad that MLS teams can still get mauled basically on a whim by Mexican opposition.

It is, but it's just what is to be expected at this stage of the MLS' development.
Anybody who hoped MLS can compete almost like equals with the Mex league this year, has some seriously rose tinted glasses.
Maybe 5-6 years from now...

DinamoTFC
03-13-2019, 07:57 AM
Makes you appreciate how GREAT we were 2017-spring 2018.

Atlanta best team ever over us, my ass. We have single handedly proved how great that season and team was when everyone was healthy.

Joe Kool
03-13-2019, 08:05 AM
Makes you appreciate how GREAT we were 2017-spring 2018.

Atlanta best team ever over us, my ass. We have single handedly proved how great that season and team was when everyone was healthy.

I will second that. Kind of love the results after all the crap MLS peeps said about TFC last year after they couldn't get out of the tail spin after the CCL. Makes our run in the CCL more special and it was against tougher competition. Nobody can take that away from that team of 2017. If we went injury free through that tourney we would have won it all but as soon as we were starting Bradley on defence I knew it would be tough but we still almost did it. That team in their top form could have torn up the MLS in 2018 but hey, it didn't happen. Hopefully we get all the pieces gelling for this year and if we do I think we can still do some damage. Look forward to what the team can do this season.

ag futbol
03-13-2019, 10:23 AM
Agreed. Also: early season form and bad tactical choices by the coach.

Essentially, nearly everything has to go right for MLS teams to keep up.

James17930
03-13-2019, 06:12 PM
I still think the CCL needs to start later, even if only by a few weeks.

catz4ever
03-13-2019, 06:29 PM
I agree with 💯%

Areathrasher
03-13-2019, 07:09 PM
Anyone got a decent stream for the Atlanta game?

tfcfans
03-13-2019, 09:00 PM
Bye, Bye AUFC ---- thanks for accomplishing way less than we did after our Championship in 2017.....down to KC now (who I'm sure will get past Ind. tomorrow, and then likely lose to Monterrey in the Semis)......

DinamoTFC
03-13-2019, 09:30 PM
The thing that impresses me the most about the Mexican teams outside of their obvious technical skills and passing is how much stamina they have. Its like they are all out pressing and attacking for 90 min straight. Very dynamic players. Hope our TAM wingers are of similar pedigree.

troy1982
03-14-2019, 02:46 AM

The only way that happen is if you eliminate a round and only have 8 teams competing because the CCL has to finish before the Liga MX playoffs.
Which always starts the week after the CCL ends

James17930
03-14-2019, 08:39 AM
The only way that happen is if you eliminate a round and only have 8 teams competing because the CCL has to finish before the Liga MX playoffs.
Which always starts the week after the CCL ends

Why does it have to finish before their play-offs? Why can't the quarters and semis happen during their play-offs with the final happening after, like in Europe?

gmacpheetfc
03-14-2019, 08:49 AM
I think a return of the group stage might be on the horizon. Which wouldn't hurt MLS teams if it started at the same time as the round of 16 did. Then finished when the concacaf league finishes.

If Canada gets 3-4 spots in the future. The recent matches across the champions league and concacaf league provide a basis for allocating coefficients and spots in qualifying and auto-group stage berths. don't think they could get to 8 groups of 4 but 4 strong groups of 4 would be doable.

Alternatively a joint North And South Americas champions league may trump an expanded concacaf only tournament; eventhough the travel constraints are legitimate.

ag futbol
03-14-2019, 09:03 AM
I thought Twellman’s bit he posted to twitter rang true.

Basically: first, scheduling needs to be fixed if we are to level the playing field. Second, “big Atlanta” and MLS’s almighty expectations look somewhat silly when you consider Monterey has 3x the payroll. Essentially, parity coming at the expense of excellence.

Other things not said: many whisper rumours that some players in Liga MX get a portion of their pay under the table. Meaning the gap is even larger than advertised.

Voodooman
03-14-2019, 08:28 PM
Man CAI could knock out SKC as well here.....

magmadragon
03-14-2019, 09:01 PM
Don't the the scoreline fool you. The CAI keeper put on a clinic.

I'm dead serious, we should be looking into signing both him and Browne.

stegosaurus
03-14-2019, 09:05 PM

It just needs a reformulation, considering the Mexican league and MLS play different season structures.

That said, Atlanta has been so heavy on the whining and excuses it’s hilarious. TFC did well last year plagued by injuries and took it to the Mexican teams, and fucked our season because of it.

NYRB did okay and still won the shield last year.

Atlanta got snuffed out after being “omg so much better than TFC lol” and proceeded to complain about everything...

Montreal made it further in CCL than Atlanta.

It’s a competition that doesn’t make a lot of sense considering the way scheduling and budgets work. But it’s not like APOEL sits around wondering why they aren’t competitive in CL and cursing the competition for spending more... it’s just unfortunate that CCL has a meaningless amount of money attached to it for MLS teams.

Defoe
03-14-2019, 11:21 PM
Sporting KC played well, could have had 6 or 7 goals. 73 % possession.

They will need to be more clinical vs Mexican sides. At least we have one team left in CCL

troy1982
03-15-2019, 05:37 AM
Why does it have to finish before their play-offs? Why can't the quarters and semis happen during their play-offs with the final happening after, like in Europe?

The CCL has always been set-up to avoid the 2 Liga MX playoffs and the MLS playoffs.
That's why the group stages were in the summer and the knock rounds ended in the 1st week in May.
any change to the format will also have to live with those restrictions. The reason is that it's better for the competition to have it's big teams focus on it and not their domestic league as would if it happened in the playoffs.

troy1982
03-15-2019, 05:40 AM
I think a return of the group stage might be on the horizon. Which wouldn't hurt MLS teams if it started at the same time as the round of 16 did. Then finished when the concacaf league finishes.

If Canada gets 3-4 spots in the future. The recent matches across the champions league and concacaf league provide a basis for allocating coefficients and spots in qualifying and auto-group stage berths. don't think they could get to 8 groups of 4 but 4 strong groups of 4 would be doable.

Alternatively a joint North And South Americas champions league may trump an expanded concacaf only tournament; eventhough the travel constraints are legitimate.

the only way the group stage return is if they happen in the summer and the knock rounds ends in the 1st week of may or sooner due to Liga MX and MLS playoffs. As was the format before had

Initial B
03-15-2019, 06:19 AM
They need to run the group stages February to May and the finals after that. That way the MLS teams would have time to get into form for the Knockout stages.

James17930
03-15-2019, 09:05 AM
The CCL has always been set-up to avoid the 2 Liga MX playoffs and the MLS playoffs.
That's why the group stages were in the summer and the knock rounds ended in the 1st week in May.
any change to the format will also have to live with those restrictions. The reason is that it's better for the competition to have it's big teams focus on it and not their domestic league as would if it happened in the playoffs.

But is it really better for the competition to have the MLS teams basically uncompetitive because they're literally still in pre-season form? I don't think so.

Mikmacdo
03-15-2019, 09:30 AM
But is it really better for the competition to have the MLS teams basically uncompetitive because they're literally still in pre-season form? I don't think so.

They aren't competitive because they have a salary cap.

James17930
03-15-2019, 10:18 AM
They aren't competitive because they have a salary cap.

That's not the whole reason. The timing of the tournament plays a big role.

troy1982
03-15-2019, 01:04 PM

MLS teams have made the final 3 times and beat a bunch of Mexican teams, so i wouldn't say it's uncompetitive, the top of the Mexican league is just better than the top of MLS

gmacpheetfc
03-15-2019, 01:38 PM
the only way the group stage return is if they happen in the summer and the knock rounds ends in the 1st week of may or sooner due to Liga MX and MLS playoffs. As was the format before had

Not if we replaced this run of games (Feb-May) with 6 match days for group games and the concacaf league schedule (July-Oct) with knockouts matches; although this would mirror the Copa Lib Schedule which is the real pot of gold.

Kaz
03-15-2019, 03:24 PM
MLS teams have made the final 3 times and beat a bunch of Mexican teams, so i wouldn't say it's uncompetitive, the top of the Mexican league is just better than the top of MLS

Canadian Teams have made the finals 2 twice. In fact Canadian Teams have had a lot of success even when they have sucked in League Play. The American Teams just don't try that hard.... it has to be the reason. There is no logical reason why Montreal and Toronto have both been to the Final and the other MLS teams burn out.

OgtheDim
03-15-2019, 03:32 PM
Canadian teams know how to play a 180 minute home & home series.

US teams...not so much.

You need an institutional memory to succeed in these sort of things. We have that from 2016 on with this group (think of all those Voyageur & playoff series) & with Morgan giving pointers from years gone by. NYRB has that now & SKC might just be getting there this year (although I think Monterrey is going to wipe the floor with them).

Oldtimer
03-15-2019, 03:49 PM
SKC is facing what TFC faced (3 Mexican teams in a row). I doubt they'll even win the first pair of games.

GuelphStorm2007
03-15-2019, 04:36 PM
I do find interesting that both Montreal and Toronto have been the two squads that have given MLS any hope of CCL glory. Last year TFC I think had the toughest of any MLS team to the final Playing Tigres, Club America and Chivas all three Of Mexico's biggest teams and just being a cross bar away from winning is pretty good. and I think Montreal"s road to the final was not that easy either

ensco
03-15-2019, 06:41 PM
SKC is facing what TFC faced (3 Mexican teams in a row). I doubt they'll even win the first pair of games.

TFC had 3 Liga MX teams in a row, SKC wouldn’t.

SKC were impressive against Toluca, but we gifted them a pass in the quarters, so they have had an easier road so far than we did.

I have no read on Monterrey so I guess it's theoretically possible SKC could beat them.

Tigres are going to win this going away. I think CCL 2018 TFC wouldn’t have gotten past Tigres more than twice if we played them 10 times in home and away series, and I don’t think SKC would beat them even once in 10 tries. SKC have nothing remotely close to Giovinco/Altidore up front, and those two figured in 10 of our 11 goals against the Mexican teams. SKC need to score 8 goals in four games to have a chance here.... there is no way.

notthesun
03-15-2019, 09:22 PM
Monterrey is 3rd in the table right now (1 point behind two clubs tied for 1st) and they haven't lost this Clausura yet. SKC is toast in all likelihood.

Areathrasher
03-15-2019, 09:26 PM
Monterrey derby in the final will be tasty

stegosaurus
03-15-2019, 10:57 PM
Monterrey derby in the final will be tasty

Would be an excellent watch.

OgtheDim
04-04-2019, 05:40 AM
As I expected, Tigres use home field to manhandle Santos in the first half to go 3-0 heading into the second leg.

Nobody is going to beat Tigres this year.

SKC @ Monterey tonight - I suspect it will end 2-0 for the home side.

Defoe
04-04-2019, 08:50 PM
As I expected, Tigres use home field to manhandle Santos in the first half to go 3-0 heading into the second leg.

Kick off in 10 minutes I'm going to watch

Oldtimer
04-04-2019, 09:22 PM

I think it will go higher than 2-0.

Defoe
04-04-2019, 10:50 PM
I think it will go higher than 2-0.

Pathetic from Kansas City

notthesun
04-04-2019, 11:11 PM
This entire tournament really puts into perspective how god damn incredible our run was last year and how god damn tragically we blew the opportunity of a lifetime.

TFC1154ever
04-04-2019, 11:30 PM
This entire tournament really puts into perspective how god damn incredible our run was last year and how god damn tragically we blew the opportunity of a lifetime.

^ this

ensco
04-05-2019, 06:06 AM

I see Delgado's miss in my head more often than I want to tell people.

Oldtimer
04-05-2019, 06:18 AM
5-0 was no surprise.

Oldtimer
04-05-2019, 06:20 AM

So close... and unlikely we'll see again.

James17930
04-05-2019, 06:33 AM
So close... and unlikely we'll see again.

Us next year.

tfcfans
04-05-2019, 06:34 AM

Can we also end the debate of the best MLS season (team) ever over a calendar year+ in the modern (post-expansion) MLS era? It's not close when you combine end of 2016 through April 2018......

ensco
04-05-2019, 06:36 AM
Saying we “blew” it is too harsh. Our performances in the away legs in Mexico were three of the great games ever played by any MLS team anywhere.

A Stick
04-05-2019, 08:44 AM
Saying we “blew” it is too harsh. Our performances in the away legs in Mexico were three of the great games ever played by any MLS team anywhere. Well said Ensco.

stegosaurus
04-05-2019, 09:44 AM
Saying we “blew” it is too harsh. Our performances in the away legs in Mexico were three of the great games ever played by any MLS team anywhere.

Yep. After years of Mexican B teams they’re also starting to take CCL more seriously after TFC’s run.

SKC has looked good so far and is at or near the top of MLS power rankings... and got absolutely destroyed.

Last year we had an insanely difficult bracket and crushed it. We were basically CCL champs, even if this team is cursed on penalties.

It just goes to highlight the gap between MLS and other leagues, despite what users on this forum and elsewhere say. “But LigaMX team average is only one point higher on FIFA!” “The gap between Belgian League and MLS is closer than you think!”

Yeah, nope. Good, full-strength MLS sides are still getting blown out in MLS 3.0, even with SKC having the most players of any team over the salary line as well, NYRB winning the shield, or Atlanta being the new “best ever” team.

Bushmancan
04-05-2019, 10:03 AM
Yep. After years of Mexican B teams they’re also starting to take CCL more seriously after TFC’s run.

SKC has looked good so far and is at or near the top of MLS power rankings... and got absolutely destroyed.

Last year we had an insanely difficult bracket and crushed it. We were basically CCL champs, even if this team is cursed on penalties.

It just goes to highlight the gap between MLS and other leagues, despite what users on this forum and elsewhere say. “But LigaMX team average is only one point higher on FIFA!” “The gap between Belgian League and MLS is closer than you think!”

Yeah, nope. Good, full-strength MLS sides are still getting blown out in MLS 3.0, even with SKC having the most players of any team over the salary line as well, NYRB winning the shield, or Atlanta being the new “best ever” team.

Absolutely agree on all of the above and I still tell people as difficult as 2018 was to go through, I wouldn't change the run and subsequent regular season for anything ... well wait, "Winning CCL" would have been insane, so other than that I love the team for going all in.

This is still a very good team.

One point on the leagues, MLS is on a very slippery slope on expansion. Even at 24 teams it is getting diluted. We need strong clubs with quality football.

COYRs

OgtheDim
04-05-2019, 10:06 AM

The way SKC set up to play last night, away, in that atmosphere, was suicidal.

I'm going to say this & I know people won't like hearing it:

Vanney was not as naive about his opponents last year as has been the other managers since then. (Marsch wasn't naive either).

Vanney screwed the pooch against Independiente this season, so he's not perfect.

BUT, where Vanney is best is in his pragmatism towards the opponent. The guy talks a lot about the best formation he'd like to play & if he has the best in place against the right opponent, he'll play TFC style - but I think in his heart of hearts, he wants to win with what he has in place & if that means an ugly 4-4-2, so be it.

We had best in their lifetime performances from Morgan, Chapman, Zavs and others that did not carry forward since then. And part of that was putting those guys in positions where the likelihood of them failing was low.

And we had Drew freaking Moor until the Azteca.

stegosaurus
04-05-2019, 10:40 AM
The way SKC set up to play last night, away, in that atmosphere, was suicidal.

I don’t disagree with you — Vanney’s approach tends to be pragmatic and he definitely showed the sort of attitude you describe in last year’s CCL. The grit and heart from the team was immense throughout the tournament as well. You could tell that they believed in it too.

SKC was playing like they played against a Montreal missing key players, including Piatti... all the while knowing they are MLS’ last remaining team and not trying to throw the tournament.

TFC set the bar incredibly high, and even the Mexican teams were surprised. As we’ve seen this season, the gap is still pretty far despite the excuses people can wrangle up (salary cap, pre-season tournament, FIFA ratings, etc.). People here were still lauding MLS’ stature even as TFC got blown out by a Panamanian side (and are apparently now buying one of their players) because our FIFA ratings are one below LigaMX on average, or that Pozo wouldn’t be a good signing because he came from the Belgian league where teams compete in Europe and produce world-class talent.

notthesun
04-05-2019, 11:00 AM

You're right, but we laid an egg in the first leg at home vs. Chivas. Those goals we gave up were just bad.

To think of how MLS has struggled in this tournament... and we could have won the whole thing sweeping not just 3 Mexican teams in a row, but arguably the three biggest Mexican teams out there, AND playing the second leg away each time? Historic doesn't even cover it. And we did the whole damn thing playing Bradley at CB and with Vazquez watching from the press box.

I'm proud of the run we put together and think we got unlucky in the final more than anything... but it's hard not to play the "what if" game with this one.

And just to rub salt in the wound... the draw for the Club World Cup that year would have had us play Kashima Antlers from Japan (Chivas lost to them 3-2) for the right to play Real Madrid. Just imagine TFC playing Real god damn Madrid in a competitive fixture.

I hope to see it someday.

stegosaurus
04-05-2019, 11:11 AM
You're right, but we laid an egg in the first leg at home vs. Chivas. Those goals we gave up were just bad.

To think of how MLS has struggled in this tournament... and we could have won the whole thing sweeping not just 3 Mexican teams in a row, but arguably the three biggest Mexican teams out there, AND playing the second leg away each time? Historic doesn't even cover it. And we did the whole damn thing playing Bradley at CB and with Vazquez watching from the press box.

I'm proud of the run we put together and think we got unlucky in the final more than anything... but it's hard not to play the "what if" game with this one.

And just to rub salt in the wound... the draw for the Club World Cup that year would have had us play Kashima Antlers from Japan (Chivas lost to them 3-2) for the right to play Real Madrid. Just imagine TFC playing Real god damn Madrid in a competitive fixture.

I hope to see it someday.

Likewise. We would have lost to Kashima too though, especially last year.

ensco
04-05-2019, 11:40 AM
Likewise. We would have lost to Kashima too though, especially last year.

I own a Kashima Antlers scarf and watch some J League highlights ... so I feel qualified to say: we could have taken those guys.

James17930
04-05-2019, 11:44 AM
Next year, gentlemen.

Next year.

stegosaurus
04-05-2019, 11:51 AM
I own a Kashima Antlers scarf and watch some J League highlights ... so I feel qualified to say: we could have taken those guys.

I lived in Tokyo as a kid and watch JLeague fairly regulary... Japanese teams usually turn up for international competition and TFC was pretty bad last year. Our cup-winning side probably would have, but not post-CCL TFC from last year.

I agree with you in spirit though.

SoccMan2
04-06-2019, 08:58 AM
This is getting embarrassing for MLS and Garber who has seen the league grow incredibly under his tenure, however, will always have this as a sour spot of his years as commissioner of the MLS, the incompetence of MLS teams in the CCL versus Mexican teams. Apart from TFC’s run last year and a few other runs by MLS teams a few other times it’s been one disaster of results after another and so many MLS teams not only losing but getting embarrassed with lopsided scores . Sporting Kansas City who is one of the MLS’s top teams should not be losing 5-0 and easily beaten 5-0 . But this is nothing new in the CCL where most years MLS clubs seem to always get embarrassed by the better Liga MX teams.

stegosaurus
04-06-2019, 10:17 AM
This is getting embarrassing for MLS and Garber who has seen the league grow incredibly under his tenure, however, will always have this as a sour spot of his years as commissioner of the MLS, the incompetence of MLS teams in the CCL versus Mexican teams. Apart from TFC’s run last year and a few other runs by MLS teams a few other times it’s been one disaster of results after another and so many MLS teams not only losing but getting embarrassed with lopsided scores . Sporting Kansas City who is one of the MLS’s top teams should not be losing 5-0 and easily beaten 5-0 . But this is nothing new in the CCL where most years MLS clubs seem to always get embarrassed by the better Liga MX teams.

I just picture Garner in a room full of suits showing them a PowerPoint with FIFA player ratings and saying, “Look, our average FIFA ratings are only a couple of points lower than LigaMX! We’ve closed the gap!”

OgtheDim
04-11-2019, 10:04 PM
Monterrey finishing in style. SKC was never in it & looked like a div 3 team playing a div 1 team in a league cup.

There's a bit of me that wonders what might have been if we had gotten to SKC in the quarters - don't think we would have beaten Monterrey but I don't think we would have been that embarrassed.

Hamilton_Red
04-12-2019, 01:10 AM
I see Delgado's miss in my head more often than I want to tell people.

It haunts me as well.. I can’t imagine how much it must haunt him. Hopefully MLSE has a good sports psychologist working on staff.

ensco
04-12-2019, 06:07 AM
That win over the two legs against America... good to savour that today. SKC allowing 10 goals, yeesh.

God our run was something else. I don’t think I have ever been happier for a single player than when Ashtone Morgan scored that goal.

Richard
04-12-2019, 06:46 AM
I just picture Garner in a room full of suits showing them a PowerPoint with FIFA player ratings and saying, “Look, our average FIFA ratings are only a couple of points lower than LigaMX! We’ve closed the gap!”

Lol now this is funny!

I think it comes down to team football IQ, they are simply years and years ahead of most North Americans.

OgtheDim
04-12-2019, 11:48 AM
The MLS intelligentsia melt down over this is kinda annoying. Maybe its my perspective having watched us play in the CCL over the years while being a crappy team.

The US fascination with being the best & with top level soccer in Europe creates weird ripples in US soccer.

The MLS teams are Belgium to Liga Mx's Spanish League - we can often times beat the mid level teams but beating Barca & Real Madrid (Tigres & Monterrey) ? Nope.

Stop worrying about beating Juve & start working on developing the next De Brunye.

DinamoTFC
04-23-2019, 09:21 PM
Tigres at home vs Monterrey in leg 1 of CCL final on univision deportes if anyone is interested. Excellent atmosphere. Miss it so much

SoccMan2
04-23-2019, 09:31 PM
Tigres at home vs Monterrey in leg 1 of CCL final on univision deportes if anyone is interested. Excellent atmosphere. Miss it so much
TSN 2 is showing this game here in Canada.

DinamoTFC
04-23-2019, 09:38 PM
TSN 2 is showing this game here in Canada.
Oh man thanks. Tsn didn't show a single game this year so didn't even bother checking

SoccMan2
04-23-2019, 09:59 PM
Oh man thanks. Tsn didn't show a single game this year so didn't even bother checking
One interesting thing about this two leg final , no away goals rule in this final it’s a two game total goals series , therefore, if series is tied after the two games in total goals they won’t go to away goals to break the tie. I guess this is something new for this years two leg final because I’m sure in last years final with TFC the away goals rule was in effect.

backbeat
04-23-2019, 10:10 PM
One interesting thing about this two leg final , no away goals rule in this final it’s a two game total goals series , therefore, if series is tied after the two games in total goals they won’t go to away goals to break the tie. I guess this is something new for this years two leg final because I’m sure in last years final with TFC the away goals rule was in effect.

it's probably because neither team is 'really' away....g:D

Hamilton_Red
04-23-2019, 11:15 PM
That was fun to watch. Brought back memories of TFC’s biggest achievement to date. Beating Tigres and Club America..running Chivas to penalties winning in Guadalajara to force penalties.... getting a result in Azteca stadium (would have been a win if not for the injury time consolation goal)...how few foreign teams have ever won anything in Azteca...it is impregnable. This is the benchmark...this is what we need to keep aiming for. I’m pleased that we are not playing this midweek...because we expected to be in this Final. We should never change that way of thinking.

Section_105
04-24-2019, 10:40 AM
That was fun to watch. Brought back memories of TFC’s biggest achievement to date. Beating Tigres and Club America..running Chivas to penalties winning in Guadalajara to force penalties.... getting a result in Azteca stadium (would have been a win if not for the injury time consolation goal)...how few foreign teams have ever won anything in Azteca...it is impregnable. This is the benchmark...this is what we need to keep aiming for. I’m pleased that we are not playing this midweek...because we expected to be in this Final. We should never change that way of thinking.

:flare:

it was fun to watch for sure. Such a different style of play as well. almost no formation and just non-stop running. It's like Heroin to MLS's weed. so much energy, skill and passion but very little cerebral input or maybe there were layers of tactics in there I just didn't pick up on.

ensco
05-01-2019, 09:47 PM
Second leg of the final.

Tigres missing that final touch without Gignac. Supposedly he is fit. Weird he isn’t in.

OgtheDim
05-01-2019, 11:11 PM
Tigres fans are going to be really peeed. Losing CCL again, this time to the cross town rivals.

OgtheDim
05-02-2019, 06:09 AM
Second leg of the final.

Tigres missing that final touch without Gignac. Supposedly he is fit. Weird he isn’t in.

Tigres manager said not bringing in Gignac was "tactical".

Once he got in, he did his best

https://twitter.com/Jasoninho10/status/1123815620284485634

ensco
05-02-2019, 06:23 AM
^I went to bed and missed it. OMG what a volley!

ensco
05-02-2019, 08:37 AM
Rodolfo Pizarro won this back to back, against us last year and for Monterrey last night.

He is a guy that was in all the series previews last year because he is a bubble Mex MNT guy, but I don’t remember noticing that much from him for Chivas last year. He had a nice game last night though.

Point of this story: Pizarro, a promising 25 year old winger, but not a star, transferred to Chivas for $14M two years ago and for $16M to Monterrey last November.

When Monterrey need a winger, they don’t spend months agonizing over “Jony”, they just go and do it. For 5x what Jony costs.

MLS vs Liga MX is not a conversation. We are decades away from being on equal footing.