PDA

View Full Version : Tim Bezbatchenko

Hamilton_Red
01-02-2019, 11:14 PM
Don't know what to make of this news. Seems that it is a done deal. Moving back to his home town with a more Seniorr role at the new Columbus?

He's been at the heart of all that has been good for the new TFC. Nervous about this change.

Why is there so little chatter on here about it?

OgtheDim
01-02-2019, 11:15 PM
2.5 pages in the speculation thread inspired by that news

ensco
01-03-2019, 08:39 AM
Suggest making this an appreciation thread.

I thought Bez would be a misfire, that he was in way over his head when he got here. He was just too young, too inexperienced. Heck, Leiweke was calling him Harry Potter!

I was completely wrong. Bez deserves a significant slice of the credit for our massive success. He handled himself impeccably in public and, best we can tell, in private. You can pick holes fairly easily, but overall, this team won big during his tenure, and he mattered to that. A lot.

I wish he were going to the western conference. I'd wish him luck if he were!

Best to him personally.

Canary10
01-03-2019, 10:32 AM
Suggest making this an appreciation thread.

I thought Bez would be a misfire, that he was in way over his head when he got here. He was just too young, too inexperienced. Heck, Leiweke was calling him Harry Potter!

I was completely wrong. Bez deserves a significant slice of the credit for our massive success. He handled himself impeccably in public and, best we can tell, in private. You can pick holes fairly easily, but overall, this team won big during his tenure, and he mattered to that. A lot.

I wish he were going to the western conference. I'd wish him luck if he were!

Best to him personally.

Yup. We went from a laughing stock to the best single season in MLS history, shoulda been two Cups and a whisker from the CCL Champions. Whatever holes you want to find, that speaks for itself. Good luck Bez and thanks.

OgtheDim
01-03-2019, 10:33 AM
In Bez we trust

Going to miss that line

Detroit_TFC
01-03-2019, 10:52 AM
Bez certainly is one of a handful of people league wide who has deep knowledge about the dark magic of MLS player acquisition rules, but I wasn't sure he had the practical experience to do the work beyond that. He showed that he does. I'm not wild about all the decisions coming out of the FO but certainly there were a lot more hits than misses. IMO the new Crew owners are going to be ambitious and Bez has a chance to shape a lot of how that looks. Today, I'll say good for him. Tomorrow, the Crew goes back to being an obstacle (along with all the other teams) to TFC winning another cup.

JayMolly
01-03-2019, 11:33 AM
T B - Hope all goes well for you and your family . . .

benito
01-03-2019, 11:44 AM
Thank you and congratulations to Bez! He was a great ambassador and was part of the team that brought the first MLS Cup to Toronto. Good luck in the future.

Oldtimer
01-03-2019, 12:23 PM
I won't forget the classy move Bez did in mending the past broken relationship in bringing back DeRo for his last season. One of many classy moves he did.

ou8jonesy
01-03-2019, 12:35 PM
Thanks Bez! Best of Luck!
https://twitter.com/2guys1beer/status/1080875056375443457

Hamilton_Red
01-03-2019, 01:08 PM
Our new GM has some big shoes (figuratively) to fill. Bez helped turn TO around and for that we will forever be great-full.

I'm glad that Columbus was saved it's good for Toronto nice to have viable roadtrips.

JuliquE
01-03-2019, 10:08 PM
I won't forget the classy move Bez did in mending the past broken relationship in bringing back DeRo for his last season. One of many classy moves he did.
For sure! As much as he's done for the club—and it's a lot—this speaks volumes.

Thanks, Bez, and all the best for you and yours.

Our new GM has a big suit (figuratively) to fill. Bez helped turn TO around and for that we will forever be great-full.
Fixed it for you.

Initial B
01-04-2019, 08:41 AM
I had hope that Bez would turn out well, considering he was an MLS insider. I want to wish him all the best but... c'mon, Columbus!? I understand it's a hometown thing, but I wish he made one extra stop before ending up there. <Sigh>

Regardless of where he ends up, he deserves being feted before his departure for his many earned accolades. He was a major instrument in the operation to save TFC from mediocrity and I will always appreciate him for that.

TFC1986
01-04-2019, 03:56 PM
Best will have for that role. I don't think new guy will cut it.

jazzy
01-04-2019, 07:10 PM
Very happy for a decent professional, deservedly going home to a team that will surprise everyone in the upcoming season . Like it or not .

Fort York Redcoat
01-06-2019, 11:28 AM
Didn't know that Columbus was his home. Good luck to him saving them then.

Ali Curtis we want another Supporters Shield. You've done it before let's do it again.

I'm trying not to think of our first leader that came from New Jersey...

magmadragon
01-06-2019, 09:16 PM
I wonder if there was some bad blood in this leaving. The email that was sent out announcing Ali Curtis was very clinical, new opportunity, effective immediately etc. Not a single thanks for everything Tim.

Oldtimer
01-06-2019, 11:35 PM
I wonder if there was some bad blood in this leaving. The email that was sent out announcing Ali Curtis was very clinical, new opportunity, effective immediately etc. Not a single thanks for everything Tim.

Ummm, no. There was thanking Tim for his contributions in the news conference announcing Curtis. There was also a discussion on how Tim taking the opportunity was done above the board with open discussion. It's available on the TFC site. No bad blood at all, just an understanding that it was understandable why he would take a promotion located in his home town.

The email would have been written by an MLSE pr staffer. Don't read anything into it.

SarniaTFC
01-06-2019, 11:45 PM
If he wants to leave us then f*c* him and move in. Obviously wasn’t fit for the challenge

jabbronies
01-07-2019, 11:02 AM
Don't know what to make of this news. Seems that it is a done deal. Moving back to his home town with a more Seniorr role at the new Columbus?

He's been at the heart of all that has been good for the new TFC. Nervous about this change.

Why is there so little chatter on here about it?

Disbelief. Shock. Disappointment.

I felt all of the above. We are suppose to be a top club in MLS. Tim B got us there and was pushing us further. Then, without any warning he left. I don't blame him - I mean i get the opportunity he has in C-bus - but it still hurts.

Tim B taught us that you can be competitive every year and still have the flexibility to improve where needed without cap tying your hands behind your back.

I'm just glad he isn't building the C-bus roster and is more focused on bigger club activities. The guy is good at building rosters.

C.Ronaldo
01-07-2019, 11:13 AM
Ummm, no. There was thanking Tim for his contributions in the news conference announcing Curtis. There was also a discussion on how Tim taking the opportunity was done above the board with open discussion. It's available on the TFC site. No bad blood at all, just an understanding that it was understandable why he would take a promotion located in his home town.

The email would have been written by an MLSE pr staffer. Don't read anything into it.

His hometown is a poop hole, he can have it.

I wonder if any of this is MLS high level meddling.

Red4ever
01-07-2019, 01:07 PM
Meh.

He was great at rosters and cap space but the skills he had, are something that everyone should have now.

I liked him and his commitment to excellence, but he did have a large payroll with which to work, via TL. His departure could be used as excuse to play moneyball again and that's what worries me more. We have our title from spending big, now let's grind for the next one. That would suck.

magmadragon
01-07-2019, 03:50 PM

Fair enough. Admittedly I haven't watched the presser. The email just caught me off guard. They must have gotten someone new to write it as the tone is different than what I've gotten used to from them the past few years.

ryan
01-08-2019, 09:25 AM
Meh.

He was great at rosters and cap space but the skills he had, are something that everyone should have now.

I liked him and his commitment to excellence, but he did have a large payroll with which to work, via TL. His departure could be used as excuse to play moneyball again and that's what worries me more. We have our title from spending big, now let's grind for the next one. That would suck.

My personal opinion is this is where we are heading. This is the end of the big 3 DP contracts and I don't anticipate any are here in 2020, maybe one, but not so sure.

MLSE went through an era of spending. BMO Field renovations, big spending on players, spent a ton of money on Babcock, built the Biosteel facility for the Raptors, etc. That era ended when Leiweicke left the building, now things have changed and it's all about maximizing the almighty dollar. Just waiting for the deals done during his time to run out.

TFC's budget likely is to get as close to being in the black as possible, which I would estimate at putting our payroll in the 14-16M range. I think Bez/Columbus saw the writing on the wall and realized he was in a no win situation going forward in Toronto. He's going to be expected to acheive the same with less, not ideal for him personally. So the Crew offered him the President job to get him. They are going to have to make some splashes to energize what's going on there, giving Bez the chance to build something and be a hero once again.

Jack
01-08-2019, 02:10 PM
He wasn't gonna stick around forever and he did a good job here. He gets a promotion and we get another qualified MLS guy to take his place. I expect things will continue to hum along, as this is Manning and Vanney's friend and they know each other. But I agree with @red4ever about the possible money issues creeping back into play. Still, we have spent huge bucks and I think we could spend smarter, rather than more, if the need arises. There are tons of talented players to be had for less money than our Big 3. Bez did deals and got things done by splashing out cash (although he also did a good job with the lesser deals). Even if we can't splash out as much, we should still be able to attract high-calibre players.

Initial B
01-09-2019, 08:26 AM
We need to remember that MLSE is also supplying the Raptors and Leafs salaries, which are at least 3 times the current TFC amount. I think we can expect the board to keep spending at least at the $20 million mark, as that is not even the salaries of the Raptors' 3 best players. As the MLS salary cap increases and more GAM and TAM become available, I think we'll see a smoothing out of the salary range between high and low players on MLS teams, including TFC. Probably won't happen until the next TV Contract SUM negotiates.

Jack
01-09-2019, 10:54 AM
We need to remember that MLSE is also supplying the Raptors and Leafs salaries, which are at least 3 times the current TFC amount. I think we can expect the board to keep spending at least at the $20 million mark, as that is not even the salaries of the Raptors' 3 best players.
I'd look at revenue generated by the three teams, too. I don't know if the Raps generate enough to cover their players, but the Leafs definitely do. Does TFC? I'm not so sure.

EDIT: I looked at some salary and other numbers, along with average ticket price, average attendance and stuff. I now think TFC is making enough money to pay the DPs.

Richard
01-09-2019, 12:10 PM
I'd look at revenue generated by the three teams, too. I don't know if the Raps generate enough to cover their players, but the Leafs definitely do. Does TFC? I'm not so sure.

EDIT: I looked at some salary and other numbers, along with average ticket price, average attendance and stuff. I now think TFC is making enough money to pay the DPs.

The Raptors make money because of the TV money the NBA gets, while I think TFC looses money considering the TV money in MLS is abysmal.

Auzzy
01-09-2019, 01:02 PM
The Raptors make money because of the TV money the NBA gets, while I think TFC looses money considering the TV money in MLS is abysmal.

But SUM money is shared & decent, which is a significant component of the value of an MLS franchise.

ryan
01-09-2019, 01:28 PM

Not even close.

Oldtimer
01-09-2019, 03:10 PM

$90 million Yankee dollars is not "abysmal"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Soccer_on_television

Lets get this thread back to Bez.

Areathrasher
01-09-2019, 04:06 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dwfpx2YXcAA-2NU.jpg

pdogg
01-09-2019, 04:27 PM
All three look so happy to be in Columbus.

Richard
01-09-2019, 04:50 PM
$90 million Yankee dollars is not "abysmal"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Soccer_on_television

Lets get this thread back to Bez.

That's 3.75M per team. Does that even cover TFC's ground/stadium maintenance fees?

Anyways that's for a different thread.

Fort York Redcoat
01-12-2019, 07:55 AM
Listened to the podcast on the commute home.

here (https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/01/10/extratime-radio-caleb-porter-lays-out-vision-crew-superdraft-chatter)

Funny to think of Columbus as having an exciting year ahead with Porter and Bez having ties to the state AND them having a true rival FINALLY in Cincy.

Redcoe15
01-12-2019, 06:25 PM
Late to the party.

I wasn't a fan of Bez at the beginning. From what I had read of him, he struck me as a bean counter with an eye towards the bottom line rather than building a contender. But the moves he made to rebuild TFC into a power were impressive. Getting Altidore for Defoe was brilliant. Signing Giovinco to a DP contract was a stroke of genius, as was convincing veterans like Drew Moore to sign on to us. And the piece de resistance was acquiring Victor Vasquez. Moves like that helped TFC rise from a perennial laughing stock to a feared side, which led to back to back appearances in the MLS Cup Final and a monster 2017 season where our side won the first treble in MLS history.

It's a shame he had to leave and take the president's title with the Pisstains. But Bez gave us what we desired and for that, I will always be grateful to him.

As for going forward, I'm excited about what Bez's replacement Ali Curtis will do for our side. He's done an outstanding job of building up RBNY's talent pool and I hope for the same results for our side, minus the choaking in the playoffs of course.

Jack
01-16-2019, 10:22 AM
Not even close.

This is only for the league, but it does seem like our player salaries (especially the DPs) are sending TFC into the red (argh).

Using 2017 data
(It's the most recent I could find that has somewhat complete numbers)

Average Attendance: 27,647
Average Ticket Price: $44.83
Average Gate Per Game: $1,239,415
Number of Games (League): 17
Total Gate Revenue (League): $21,070,055
Total Salaries for 2017: $22,425,561

That doesn't count employee salaries, other operating costs, maintenance etc. But it also doesn't take into consideration sponsorships, concessions, merch sales and other sources of revenue. Playoffs, CCL, CC etc. matches are also not included because I couldn't find info. I found a Forbes article that said TFC had an operating revenue of -$10 million in 2017, so it makes sense they are going to try to reduce the cost of DPs.

With Jozy at 4.9, Bradley at 6.5 and Giovinco at 7.1 million, that's the overwhelming majority of the salary load. Could we get similar results from three $3-$4 million players? I imagine Manning, Curtis and Vanney will have instructions to find out.

Sources:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Soccer_attendance
https://www.thestar.com/sports/tfc/2018/10/05/toronto-fc-ticket-prises-on-the-rise.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Toronto_FC_season#Competitions_summary
https://www.denverpost.com/2017/04/25/toronto-fc-player-salaries-for-2017/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2018/11/14/mls-most-valuable-teams-2018/#3a2255f22ee9

01-16-2019, 10:30 AM
A lot of teams in the major sports leagues are in the red at the end of the season. It's actually better for tax purposes to end up a little in the red. The key for most sports owners is franchise value and growing that. MLSE bought TFC for 10 mill and Forbes values them at almost 30x that now. Their investment in the team (money spent on DPs) has contributed to the soaring value of the franchise.

Jack
01-16-2019, 10:49 AM
A lot of teams in the major sports leagues are in the red at the end of the season. It's actually better for tax purposes to end up a little in the red. The key for most sports owners is franchise value and growing that. MLSE bought TFC for 10 mill and Forbes values them at almost 30x that now. Their investment in the team (money spent on DPs) has contributed to the soaring value of the franchise.

Interesting. I didn't know exactly, but I suspected there might be some sort of accounting stuff going on.

01-16-2019, 10:58 AM
Interesting. I didn't know exactly, but I suspected there might be some sort of accounting stuff going on.

For sure. Especially for media companies like Bell/Rogers. Since Rogers owns the Jays and broadcasts their games through their sportsnet channels, they can undervalue the TV rights. If Jays TV rights went on the open market, they'd cost a lot more than what Rogers is accounting for (Jays have one of the biggest TV audiences in MLB). Rogers can show just about any loss they want by undervaluing the Jays tv rights.

ensco
01-19-2019, 08:24 AM
Bez says goodbye via the Star. He lists all the reasons we had for the move, including the team being in transition

https://www.thestar.com/amp/sports/tfc/2019/01/18/toronto-will-always-be-special-to-former-tfc-gm-tim-bezbatchenko.html

PizzaEatingYeti
01-19-2019, 04:39 PM
Bez says goodbye via the Star. He lists all the reasons we had for the move, including the team being in transition

https://www.thestar.com/amp/sports/tfc/2019/01/18/toronto-will-always-be-special-to-former-tfc-gm-tim-bezbatchenko.html

Well, shit...

If this is true, we can be happy this season with TFC to qualify somehow (not in the first 4 places of the east) for the playoffs, and to go out in the first round.
Anything more than that will be overachieving.

However... the last season being a humongous underachieving year, why the hell can't be this one an overacheving one?

:lurk5:
(Sorry guys, just musing out loud...)