PDA

View Full Version : 2019 MLS transfers thread (non TFC)

Oldtimer
12-31-2018, 04:59 PM
Post any news here.

jabbronies
01-18-2019, 10:31 AM
Well Bez's first signing. I hope it flops to high hell:
https://www.columbuscrewsc.com/post/2019/01/18/columbus-crew-sc-acquires-brazilian-midfielder-robinho-ceara-sporting-club-brazils

Areathrasher
01-18-2019, 11:21 AM
Well Bez's first signing. I hope it flops to high hell:
https://www.columbuscrewsc.com/post/2019/01/18/columbus-crew-sc-acquires-brazilian-midfielder-robinho-ceara-sporting-club-brazils

That guy was first linked to the Crew weeks before Bez took over so not sure i'd class it as one of his signings.

ensco
01-18-2019, 11:43 AM
For a second I thought that was the Robinho who played for Real Madrid!

burlington Red
01-18-2019, 03:16 PM
For a second I thought that was the Robinho who played for Real Madrid!

there's a prison sentence waiting for that lad in Italy if he ever leaves Brazil

jazzy
01-19-2019, 09:01 AM
Barcelona are thinking of signing Carlos Vela on a 6 month loan , as a back up striker .....two sides are talking .

OgtheDim
01-22-2019, 10:46 AM
Looks like our season opener is a bald headed CB derby. :conehead:

https://twitter.com/SoccerInsider/status/1087733021166452737

Auzzy
01-22-2019, 01:58 PM
Looks like our season opener is a bald headed CB derby. :conehead:

https://twitter.com/SoccerInsider/status/1087733021166452737

LOL, I actually have them completely confused right now, no idea who's who.

OgtheDim
01-31-2019, 07:45 PM
So DCU almost sold Acosta to PSG. Couldn't agree on a price.

We live in a very different MLS people.

https://theathletic.com/795045/2019/01/31/

marquis
02-01-2019, 11:20 AM
https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/01/29/report-new-york-city-fc-set-acquire-alex-mitrita-9-1-million-deal

He's a Romanian Giovinco :)

ag futbol
02-02-2019, 10:00 AM
Point being made on twitter by some Impact supporters they just paid $150k for an international spot while a US team or two just reduced their requirements with getting green cards issued. Canada at a disadvantage given the permit seems to take much longer or there’s a higher bar for what MLS recognizes. Can’t say I disagree. Kinda bullshit

rydermike
02-02-2019, 10:10 AM
Atlanta just signed Pogba's brother

Defoe
02-09-2019, 01:42 AM
Vancouver is having a huge offseason. Maybe the best in MLS.

Joaquin Aradiz a 19 year old striker from Uruguay.
Erik Godoy a big CB from Argentina only 25.
Lass Bangoura
Lucas Venuto... nice winger from south america. Only 24.
Hwang kong.

I like how they are bringing in YOUNG players that are useful to the current level of MLS that can help them win but also players they can build the value up and sell. Especially Aradiz who looks very promising. Not all will be hits but I like they are investing money in young players.

Initial B
02-09-2019, 08:43 AM
MdS has always had a good knack of knowing what players will fit his system and choosing ones that will fit his budget. Players will come and play for a team because he's coaching it. I'm positive they will be a playoff contender by next season.

JayMolly
02-09-2019, 11:07 AM
Atlanta just signed Pogba's brother

Is Atlanta trying to replace Miguel Almiron? Now playing for Newcastle FC . . .

Areathrasher
02-09-2019, 12:14 PM
Is Atlanta trying to replace Miguel Almiron? Now playing for Newcastle FC . . .
They signed the replacement before they sold Almiron. Pity Martinez

Areathrasher
02-13-2019, 09:20 AM
Portland about to pay $10M for Eduardo Vargas from Tigres apparently.

https://t.co/k3HR831aOA

Defoe
02-13-2019, 10:34 AM
that's a lot of money for a 29 year old

Canary10
02-23-2019, 07:27 PM
Apparently Almeyda already wants out of San Jose because they won’t spend any money. Lol. Why did he ever go there? It would be so San Jose to lose him before the season even starts.

OgtheDim
02-23-2019, 08:05 PM
That's a LigaMX based rumour - I have my doubts.

Canary10
02-23-2019, 08:08 PM
That's a LigaMX based rumour - I have my doubts.

Maybe. But it sounds so right I believe it.

sidvan
03-06-2019, 07:17 PM
Joe Corona to LAG https://www.lagalaxy.com/post/2019/03/06/la-galaxy-sign-midfielder-joe-corona
How does this bypass Allocation order?

Initial B
03-07-2019, 08:19 AM
^ Never played in MLS, so not under the AO.

Chubbs
03-14-2019, 04:37 PM
https://www.chicago-fire.com/post/2019/03/14/chicago-fire-soccer-club-acquires-argentina-national-team-midfielder-nicol-s-gait-n

Chicago Fire sign Nicolás Gaitán on a free transfer from Dalian Yifang. Not even on a DP contract (this year), which is crazy considering less than 3 years ago Athletico paid 23 million euro for him.

DinamoTFC
03-21-2019, 05:41 PM
Nycfc officially signs 27yr old fwd Brazilian Heber from Croatia's HNK Rijeka using TAM.

ensco
03-21-2019, 05:55 PM
Nycfc officially signs 27yr old fwd Brazilian Heber from Croatia's HNK Rijeka using TAM.

Croatia's second best team, in your view, I'm guessing...

DinamoTFC
03-21-2019, 09:28 PM

They are currently second place and won the league 2 years ago. Only one who can put up a real fight nowadays.

stegosaurus
03-21-2019, 10:53 PM

I’m pretty sure this is a political statement considering the status of the Croatian league and NT...

ensco
03-22-2019, 06:21 AM
I’m pretty sure this is a political statement considering the status of the Croatian league and NT...

Nope. Having fun with the guy. I figured, based on the way he spelled “Dinamo” in his board name”, he was a Dinamo Zagreb supporter (most of the Dynamo teams use a y)

stegosaurus
03-22-2019, 09:58 AM
Nope. Having fun with the guy. I figured, based on the way he spelled “Dinamo” in his board name”, he was a Dinamo Zagreb supporter (most of the Dynamo teams use a y)

Sorry, I forgot to add the /s

Hamilton_Red
03-22-2019, 10:45 AM
MdS has always had a good knack of knowing what players will fit his system and choosing ones that will fit his budget. Players will come and play for a team because he's coaching it. I'm positive they will be a playoff contender by next season.

They are going to have to be very patient. 0-3 start ...next game against Seattle then Zlatan...

Chubbs
03-22-2019, 12:11 PM
More allegations being made about Carl Robinson and agent David Baldwin running a very similar operation to what Mo did in town here. Including this tidbit regarding PSG having an even higher offer on the table than Bayern, but the Bayern deal went though anyways because Baldwin (and Robbo) stood to pocket about $2 million from the Bayern deal.

https://twitter.com/GlassCityFC/status/1108847818389676032

magmadragon
03-22-2019, 05:43 PM
More allegations being made about Carl Robinson running a very similar operation to what Mo did

There are always two Sith, Master and Apprentice.

OgtheDim
03-22-2019, 05:50 PM
If people think there isn't the strong possibility this be happening in a lesser form in the CPL, they be blind.

magmadragon
03-22-2019, 06:08 PM
If people think there isn't the strong possibility this be happening in a lesser form in the CPL, they be blind.

Forge Sigma FC

MightyDM
03-22-2019, 06:42 PM
More allegations being made about Carl Robinson and agent David Baldwin running a very similar operation to what Mo did in town here. Including this tidbit regarding PSG having an even higher offer on the table than Bayern, but the Bayern deal went though anyways because Baldwin (and Robbo) stood to pocket about $2 million from the Bayern deal.

i don’t believe it. His parents trusted his coach, and knew him for years. Hard to believe that they’d allow him to steer Davies wrongly: https://theprovince.com/sports/soccer/mls/vancouver-whitecaps/art-of-the-alphonso-davies-deal-how-a-special-bond-made-for-dramatic-lucrative-transfer

ag futbol
03-22-2019, 07:05 PM
^ Its a rather provocative “insider” account. Either this guy has unbelievably good sources in Vancouver or is a complete douche (or maybe It’s both, lol).

Richard
03-22-2019, 10:45 PM
Well regardless if some people pocketed money or not Davies being at Bayern is a lot better than PSG in my opinion.

stegosaurus
03-22-2019, 11:00 PM
Well regardless if some people pocketed money or not Davies being at Bayern is a lot better than PSG in my opinion.

Imagine thinking manipulating children (without using the word grooming which is more applicable here) for your own personal financial interest is okay as long as they go to the bad club that you think is okay over the bad club you think isn’t okay...

Wow.

Richard
03-22-2019, 11:41 PM
Imagine thinking manipulating children (without using the word grooming which is more applicable here) for your own personal financial interest is okay as long as they go to the bad club that you think is okay over the bad club you think isn’t okay...

Wow.

I never said it was morally ethical or not illegal. Just saying it could have turned out worse.

Oldtimer
03-23-2019, 06:54 AM

The "source" is a random Twitter account? I don't believe it. No way. Anyone can create an account, it doesn't mean that they have any real "inside information." It's not like Robbo didn't have enemies, he almost certainly did.

His "source" that he states (if it is true and not made up) is a "former player" (unnamed) who was annoyed that one agent was hanging around? Give me a break. It's just guessing that there is something untoward based on that one thing. The former player (if he exists) might be mad at Robbo dropping him and decided to take a swipe. No real evidence AT ALL and no one should be taking this seriously without a lot more corroboration.

MightyDM
03-23-2019, 06:56 AM

Wow.

Davies parents were fully involved in this. There was no “ manipulating children”. And it was the opportunity of a lifetime! If the parents, and Davies, were manipulated by his childhood coach, that would be really sad, and if Carl took a backhanded payment disgusting and illegal ( and not a credible allegation given his history and record) , but the player is good enough to try to play for one of the great clubs in the world. So where to go? He wouldn’t get a sniff in the Premier League and Bayern ( and other Budesliga teams) have shown that they will give young talent a chance to develop at the first team level. Another place could have been Holland. But it’s hard to argue against this being the best possible club in the world for Davies. So unless there is evidence of a backhander, and more than a the moaning of a disgruntled ex player, there is no credibility to this story whatsoever. Well done to Davies, his parents, and both clubs, I say.

Oldtimer
03-23-2019, 07:16 AM
So unless there is evidence of a backhander, and more than a the moaning of a disgruntled ex player, there is no credibility to this story whatsoever.

Exactly.

ag futbol
03-23-2019, 10:33 AM
Agreed. What did Henry get out of our coaching staff for all his physical talents? He had to recover from playing for TFC more than anything else.

Robinson is no genius on the touch line. Some of his decisions were criminally stupid but the fact he didn’t screw up the kid’s development entirely is good enough for me. Low bar I know but that’s Canadian Soccer for you. Not screwing it up entirely is progress.

Edit: now all that said, if you look at the subtweets from said “questionable” account there are multiple responses from legit Caps beat writers including this one from Peter Galindo. FWIW

https://mobile.twitter.com/GalindoPW/status/1108858567874867200

Greatest Ripoff
03-23-2019, 01:49 PM
I don’t think Glass City is a random twitter account. If you go through there posts, you can see they’ve had lots of ITK tweets regarding Vancouver.

notthesun
03-23-2019, 02:09 PM
Yeah the GlassCity twitter account has correctly leaked/been first to report tons of Whitecaps signings, including damn near each one they made this past offseason. Whoever runs it clearly has sources.

rydermike
03-23-2019, 02:52 PM
Even if it's true that PSG offered the Caps more money, that isn't the sole driving force. If Davies preferred Bayern over PSG, then even though PSG offered more he would still go to Bayern, if he refused to sign a PSG contract.

That's not to dismiss any shady under the table business by those two, if true, but I could definitely see Davies choosing Bayern over PSG for soccer reasons.

ensco
03-23-2019, 09:49 PM
It's worth remembering that Davies contract with the Caps was unenforceable. It didn't really exist, for all intents and purposes.

There was tremendous potential for funny business there. The buying and selling of the employment rights of 17 year olds is odious.

djking2
03-24-2019, 07:15 AM
It is also worth noting that the identification and training of world class talent has real monetary value in the world of soccer. If the large clubs were able to pick the best talent from regional clubs without compensation it would be detrimental to aspiring young talent everywhere. it's also worth noting that compensation traditionally includes individuals who have identified that talent. The Chris Cummins case is one with a local connection

MightyDM
03-24-2019, 08:02 AM
It is also worth noting that the identification and training of world class talent has real monetary value in the world of soccer. If the large clubs were able to pick the best talent from regional clubs without compensation it would be detrimental to aspiring young talent everywhere. it's also worth noting that compensation traditionally includes individuals who have identified that talent. The Chris Cummins case is one with a local connection

What is the Chris Cummins case?

ensco
03-24-2019, 08:44 AM
What is the Chris Cummins case?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2008/dec/12/stuart-jame-on-watford-settlement

MightyDM
03-24-2019, 01:30 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2008/dec/12/stuart-jame-on-watford-settlement

Thanks. I didn’t know that. Still think TFC made a huge error letting him go. Different times:
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/something-rotten-in-state-of-toronto-fc-1.780190

Ultra & Proud
05-03-2019, 10:15 AM
https://www.chicago-fire.com/post/2019/05/03/chicago-fire-soccer-club-acquires-defender-francisco-calvo-minnesota-united-fc

This seems like a lot of allocation bucks going the other way.

firm
05-03-2019, 10:42 AM
It seems like we are raining goalkeepers

Ultra & Proud
05-03-2019, 01:10 PM
I like how every MLS deal going down in the past couple days requires a journalist translator to break it down to laymen speak on Twitter so everyone can understand the intricacies of the MLS-verse.

Areathrasher
05-07-2019, 12:50 PM
Deadline day deals:

Meram to Atlanta
Jonathan Lewis to Colorado

notthesun
05-07-2019, 05:36 PM
I would've been interested in bringing Lewis in for help on the wings but not at that price (500k allocation).

Hamilton_Red
07-09-2019, 12:30 PM
I must have missed the Zack Steffan to Man City move last month...I see today though that they are loaning him to Fortuna Dusseldorf... 7 Million buy...then loan him out. It's a racket isn't it?

Areathrasher
07-09-2019, 01:11 PM
I must have missed the Zack Steffan to Man City move last month...I see today though that they are loaning him to Fortuna Dusseldorf... 7 Million buy...then loan him out. It's a racket isn't it?

They agreed the deal 6 months ago. Can't get him a work permit so he's off on loan.

Section_105
07-09-2019, 01:26 PM
They agreed the deal 6 months ago. Can't get him a work permit so he's off on loan.

should have spoke to Apolon Limosol first ;) guess they don't have the TFC hookups in Cyprus

ag futbol
07-10-2019, 10:31 AM
Welp, no Cavalinni to TFC anytime soon. Sounds like the big clubs in Mexico are interested.

Amazing how many guys we have on the rise right now who play up front. Now if only we could produce a damn fullback.

Initial B
07-10-2019, 11:59 AM
Didn't that used to be the other way around? We used to create solid defenders, but no creative midfielders or forwards.

Areathrasher
07-23-2019, 03:15 PM
Miami have dropped 11M on a 19 yr old Argie winger https://www.estudiantesdelaplata.com/pellegrini-paso-la-revisacion-en-miami-y-ya-entrena-en-city-bell/

stegosaurus
07-24-2019, 12:49 PM
Didn't that used to be the other way around? We used to create solid defenders, but no creative midfielders or forwards.

Modern RB/LB is probably the hardest position to source for and a difficult one to develop as a lot of them tend to be converted players nowadays.

Even teams with unlimited resources have issues at those positions, and with keepers and CBs starting to take on different roles it becomes harder to develop a complete solution for multiple positions.

When all you need is a big athletic CB, it’s easy to develop a whole bunch and retain them on low salaries.

When you can spend as much as you want but still end up with players who are decent but not exceptional, like Meunier, Kurzawa, Bernat, etc., you can tell there’s a bit of an issue — especially when Dani Alves is still looking for work at the highest levels and he’s 36.

Areathrasher
07-25-2019, 02:27 PM
https://twitter.com/Jasoninho10/status/1154459702031474689

ag futbol
07-25-2019, 03:30 PM
Modern RB/LB is probably the hardest position to source for and a difficult one to develop as a lot of them tend to be converted players nowadays.

Even teams with unlimited resources have issues at those positions, and with keepers and CBs starting to take on different roles it becomes harder to develop a complete solution for multiple positions.

When all you need is a big athletic CB, it’s easy to develop a whole bunch and retain them on low salaries.

When you can spend as much as you want but still end up with players who are decent but not exceptional, like Meunier, Kurzawa, Bernat, etc., you can tell there’s a bit of an issue — especially when Dani Alves is still looking for work at the highest levels and he’s 36.
Just goes to show there is huge opportunity for young players today who might want to change their position of choice.

Looking at even Canada. Your chance of getting minutes up top are limited and competition is going to be fierce for the next half decade at least.

If you play on the back line you will instantly get a look. And it’s not like the fullback is a boring position these days. It’s very involved.

OgtheDim
07-25-2019, 03:34 PM
Davies is going to be the LB for the CanMNT & whereever he goes - Bayern has made that call & I don't see anybody stopping that development. RB though is open.

Part of me is wondering if the Shaff keeps on his trajectory what it would be like to have him & Davies on that left side in 2026.

Auzzy
07-25-2019, 03:37 PM
Davies is going to be the LB for the CanMNT & whereever he goes - Bayern has made that call & I don't see anybody stopping that development. RB though is open.

Part of me is wondering if the Shaff keeps on his trajectory what it would be like to have him & Davies on that left side in 2026.

Although Bayern also tried Davies farther up on the left for part of their last friendly game. I think they're still trying some things out with him.

Mikmacdo
07-25-2019, 03:43 PM
Although Bayern also tried Davies farther up on the left for part of their last friendly game. I think they're still trying some things out with him.
I think they will try him out at both positions this year and it will sort itself out. I think he has a higher ceiling as a LB.

ag futbol
07-25-2019, 03:52 PM
At face value they are calling it LB but it’s more of a wide player in a 3-5-2. He doesn’t have the defensive inclination to be a outright fullback. The issue Bayern has with him (speculating) is he doesn’t finish consistently enough to play up top. You can’t justify playing someone that close to the goal who isn’t going to convert more chances (at least when you’re playing for a top 5 team in the world).

But for Canada, he’s still a first choice forward. It’s insanity for us to think of him at LB. His first step is unbelievably fast as is his top speed (like all-world level). He also likes to gamble (as a good attacking player does). He makes elementary mistakes defending and isn’t all that great in possession. It all screams “play him further up the field” to me.

portu
07-25-2019, 05:57 PM
At face value they are calling it LB but it’s more of a wide player in a 3-5-2. He doesn’t have the defensive inclination to be a outright fullback. The issue Bayern has with him (speculating) is he doesn’t finish consistently enough to play up top. You can’t justify playing someone that close to the goal who isn’t going to convert more chances (at least when you’re playing for a top 5 team in the world).

But for Canada, he’s still a first choice forward. It’s insanity for us to think of him at LB. His first step is unbelievably fast as is his top speed (like all-world level). He also likes to gamble (as a good attacking player does). He makes elementary mistakes defending and isn’t all that great in possession. It all screams “play him further up the field” to me.

Yup. Could see him being a classic up and down sort of winger on a top class team. Leftback at any level is inane to me. The guy is not that good of a defender.

Richard
07-25-2019, 06:27 PM
He can look no further than David Alaba for tutoring.

Davies is setup for great success.

stegosaurus
07-25-2019, 07:27 PM
https://twitter.com/Jasoninho10/status/1154459702031474689

LAFC putting in work.

Oldtimer
08-05-2019, 06:03 PM
Rooney in talks to leave DC United two years early.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/08/05/wayne-rooney-might-leave-dc-united-return-england-after-this-season/

If he goes to Burnley, does it mean that the EPL is now a "retirement league" for washed up MLS players? :-D

OgtheDim
08-05-2019, 06:26 PM
He's going to Derby - Goff saying its all because his wife misses her family. He is happy here, apparently.

PaceyWinger
08-05-2019, 08:09 PM
FWIW I was watching the Derby - Huddersfield classic this afternoon and their hearts were all a'flutter that Rooney would come to Derby as a player coach. I love the idea that his wife could be so put off with life in the backwater that is Washington D.C that she would jump at the opportunity to move to Derbyshire.. a litteral hobbit hole. No disrespect. I loved Derby and outside of Hull City I will gladly cheer for them in the Championship.

burlington Red
08-06-2019, 08:40 AM
Good move for Wayne. Will be able to learn the ropes of coaching whilst still playing at a level that he should still do well in.

pfk
08-06-2019, 11:36 AM
It's official, Rooney's going to Derby County.

Edit: Starting Jan 2020.

https://twitter.com/talkSPORT/status/1158715027333025792?s=20

rydermike
08-06-2019, 04:03 PM
DC United in talks to sign Mesut Ozil

ensco
08-06-2019, 04:13 PM

DC United in desperate attempt to have something to say to their fans, no matter how absurd

stegosaurus
08-07-2019, 12:18 AM

Not for this season though, apparently.

BeninatoTFC
08-07-2019, 06:00 AM

Now that seems crazy. He’d have to take a massive pay cut I imagine to even consider it.

Section_105
08-07-2019, 09:14 AM
Bojan just flew into Montreal making the rumours much more believable. any chance for us to nab him instead? would prob need to drop a DP into TAM status or set him up as TAM with future expectations.

Ultra & Proud
08-07-2019, 09:48 AM
Bojan just flew into Montreal making the rumours much more believable. any chance for us to nab him instead? would prob need to drop a DP into TAM status or set him up as TAM with future expectations.
I don't know what to think of him. He could be awesome or a total bust. There's really no way to know until getting him out there.

BeninatoTFC
08-07-2019, 10:04 AM

Bojan? He was wearing an Impact shirt at the airport so I doubt he’s in play for anyone but Montreal.

Ultra & Proud
08-07-2019, 12:32 PM
https://www.sjearthquakes.com/post/2019/08/07/news-earthquakes-trade-anibal-godoy-nashville-sc

Since Nashville is officially doing a Cincinnati, Curtis should be on the phone seeing if a Zavaleta unload for allocation is doable.

Mikmacdo
08-07-2019, 01:58 PM
Ballou and bojan to montreal.

ag futbol
08-07-2019, 02:22 PM
And here I thought that was Milan Borjan for a second. Yikes.

jazzy
08-07-2019, 07:42 PM
So la Galaxy is getting a free loan of bocas Pavon and his salary is low enough to b under TAM ,. Some things never change

stegosaurus
08-07-2019, 07:57 PM
So la Galaxy is getting a free loan of bocas Pavon and his salary is low enough to b under TAM ,. Some things never change

I love how they framed it as “training” too, lol.

OgtheDim
08-07-2019, 08:02 PM
The LAFC moves today are interesting - bringing in one of the best Uruguayan prospects to add to their attack while dumping off Martinez to Houston.

BeninatoTFC
08-08-2019, 05:11 AM
The LAFC moves today are interesting - bringing in one of the best Uruguayan prospects to add to their attack while dumping off Martinez to Houston.

Diego Rossi looks to be on the way out which is probably why.

ensco
08-08-2019, 09:41 AM
I can never see the moves Atlanta and LAFC made and are making right out of the gate, without thinking about Teachers and Richard Peddie and how they stuck it to us.

Areathrasher
08-08-2019, 09:57 AM
I can never see the moves Atlanta and LAFC made and are making right out of the gate, without thinking about Teachers and Richard Peddie and how they stuck it to us.

Thats sort of apples to oranges. Expansion teams have a hell of a lot more resources (extra GAM, TAM exists now) to work with these days then back then.

Oldtimer
08-08-2019, 10:22 AM
Thats sort of apples to oranges. Expansion teams have a hell of a lot more resources (extra GAM, TAM exists now) to work with these days then back then.

That's true. However they didn't make use of what they did have (ie a right to have a Designated Player), and when they got a DP they went low cost.

Their model was 12k fans in the stands, which proved to way underestimate the market.

BeninatoTFC
08-08-2019, 03:09 PM
That's true. However they didn't make use of what they did have (ie a right to have a Designated Player), and when they got a DP they went low cost.

Their model was 12k fans in the stands, which proved to way underestimate the market.

Which in hindsight seems a little crazy considering the population base and demographics of the GTA. Maybe the Lynx scared them, even if it was a small stadium there was never really any interest in it from what I remember.

Oldtimer
08-08-2019, 03:48 PM
Which in hindsight seems a little crazy considering the population base and demographics of the GTA. Maybe the Lynx scared them, even if it was a small stadium there was never really any interest in it from what I remember.

Interesting bit of history. The owner of the Lynx, Bruno Hartrell, predicted that TFC would draw 2000 -3000 per game!!!

I used to go to the occasional Lynx game and knew the U-Sector from back then. The Lynx had trouble getting decent crowds to Centennial Stadium. Nothing screams "low budget" like their operation was: Bruno would sell the tickets, and his wife Nicole would sell the hot dogs!! He lost a fortune on his love of the game, deserved better than what he ended up with (he wanted the Lynx to become TFC 2, instead Mo decided to start from scratch, leaving the Lynx worthless). The Lynx most notably developed DeRo and gave him his first pro contract.

Greatest Ripoff
08-08-2019, 04:12 PM
Interesting bit of history. The owner of the Lynx, Bruno Hartrell, predicted that TFC would draw 2000 -3000 per game!!!

I used to go to the occasional Lynx game and knew the U-Sector from back then. The Lynx had trouble getting decent crowds to Centennial Stadium. Nothing screams "low budget" like their operation was: Bruno would sell the tickets, and his wife Nicole would sell the hot dogs!! He lost a fortune on his love of the game, deserved better than what he ended up with (he wanted the Lynx to become TFC 2, instead Mo decided to start from scratch, leaving the Lynx worthless). The Lynx most notably developed DeRo and gave him his first pro contract.

Not just DeRo, Hutchinson and Stalteri amongst other.

OgtheDim
08-08-2019, 06:11 PM
If we were to go down the route of historical what ifs - imagine an MLSE owned by somebody competent in 2007 & you would probably not be discussing a management group that fell/lucked into the first supporter culture focused crowd in MLS, something that I argue saved MLS

There's no black/white to all this except for this

https://www.thestar.com/content/dam/thestar/sports/tfc/2017/12/10/tfcs-mls-cup-breakthrough-started-with-bradley/bradley_team.jpg.size.custom.crop.1086x650.jpg

Defoe
08-08-2019, 10:14 PM
So Galaxy finalize Pavon, on what's called a "free loan" lol. Nice little trick to get 4 DP's.

Honestly I don't care, but offensively they're stacked and Ibrahimovic, Pavon, Alessandrini, Dos Santos, Alvarez etc is the type of talent the could bring MLS glory in champions league vs Mexico.

Canary10
08-09-2019, 10:44 AM
Tosaint signed with Vancouver. I'm kinda bummed about that. And we haven't signed anyone better since he left.

OgtheDim
08-09-2019, 11:03 AM
Happy for him & yes we need to get a better #2 post up centre forward then Mullins.

But that's not Ricketts either.

Oldtimer
08-09-2019, 11:13 AM
Tosaint signed with Vancouver. I'm kinda bummed about that. And we haven't signed anyone better since he left.

After going on a tear in Lithuania I'm not surprised he's getting another chance in Canada. I would prefer him to Mullins (the second coming of Chad Barrett).

stegosaurus
08-09-2019, 11:14 AM
Happy for him & yes we need to get a better #2 post up centre forward then Mullins.

But that's not Ricketts either.

People who somehow score goals despite themselves: Ricketts.

People who don’t score goals, provide nothing ever, and are probably even worse than Hamilton who also provided very little: Mullins.

Good thing we have Mullins. Can’t score, doesn’t even know what the goal looks like, short, very little technical ability, etc etc.

Ricketts could slip and fall on the sidelines warming up as a substitute and somehow we’d end up with a goal.

OgtheDim
08-09-2019, 11:17 AM

He somehow did it in 2017 and this year in Europe - but he couldn't for Canada & didn't in 2018 for us.

He wouldn't fit our system now.

Areathrasher
08-09-2019, 12:47 PM

Yea, as much as he drove me mad i'd much prefer him over Boyd or Mullins. Better the devil you know an all that...

Ultra & Proud
08-09-2019, 12:48 PM
I hear Ricketts to Whitecaps is done anyways so it doesn't matter.

Also there's an awful tendency here to write off freshly acquired players, regardless of match fitness, whether they were bench players previously, or out of the squad entirely prior to the deal, to walk in to our starting XI and score right away or else they are shit.

I'm not saying Mullins is good but much like Boyd, he should get a few matches to find his footing and if no good then see ya.

MightyDM
08-09-2019, 01:00 PM

People who don’t score goals, provide nothing ever, and are probably even worse than Hamilton who also provided very little: Mullins.

Good thing we have Mullins. Can’t score, doesn’t even know what the goal looks like, short, very little technical ability, etc etc.

Ricketts could slip and fall on the sidelines warming up as a substitute and somehow we’d end up with a goal.

Hamilton scored goals. Infinitely more prolific than Mullins. Literally. He's just not a hold up player

benito
08-09-2019, 01:02 PM
Congrats to Ricketts on his return to the MLS. He has travelled the world playing in Finland, Romania, Norway, Turkey, Israel, Toronto, Lithuania and now Vancouver. He hasn't many long tenures at any club and hopefully he gets to finish his career in Vancouver.

Ultra & Proud
08-09-2019, 01:10 PM
Hamilton scored goals. Infinitely more prolific than Mullins. Literally. He's just not a hold up player
That's a big stretch.

They're similar in their rates based on minutes. Basically, neither is good enough at this level but one theoretically can at least contribute hold up play. Time will tell if that's true.

MightyDM
08-09-2019, 02:06 PM
That's a big stretch.

They're similar in their rates based on minutes. Basically, neither is good enough at this level but one theoretically can at least contribute hold up play. Time will tell if that's true.

I meant it factually . Mullins has zero goals for TFC. Hamilton had a number, I think 11. So its infiinitely more, literally. 11/0

Section_105
08-09-2019, 02:33 PM
I don't see mullins being able to provide hold up play at all. When balls come in to him he more often than not heads them or passes them to spaces where we have no one and no one was even making a run to. I'm perplexed as to why we have him after some of the simple plays he's totally effed up.

Any way, back to current trades to other team, Well done to Tosaint. Hope he helps to get some semblance of normalcy back for a hopeless VanCity.

pfk
08-09-2019, 03:01 PM
What's the over/under of Ricketts scoring on us in that dying minutes of a game? Will he be the new Alan Gordon?

Happy that Ricketts is in a good place, he seems like a great guy. Too bad he's on a woeful team like the Whitecaps. Maybe he'll get more minutes.

Ultra & Proud
08-09-2019, 03:22 PM
I meant it factually . Mullins has zero goals for TFC. Hamilton had a number, I think 11. So its infiinitely more, literally. 11/0

So you're comparing goal records solely on TFC when one player played in 53 matches and the other guy played in 2.

Okay. Got it.

To requote myself:

Also there's an awful tendency here to write off freshly acquired players, regardless of match fitness, whether they were bench players previously, or out of the squad entirely prior to the deal, to walk in to our starting XI and score right away or else they are shit.

OgtheDim
08-09-2019, 03:56 PM
What's the over/under of Ricketts scoring on us in that dying minutes of a game?

We are done playing them this season. He might be on their team next year but I have my doubts - they are likely going to rebuild again.

Ultra & Proud
08-09-2019, 04:18 PM
We are done playing them this season. He might be on their team next year but I have my doubts - they are likely going to rebuild again.
Yeah I think they're stuck in an old days TFC situation. They will need multiple tear downs and rebuilds until they sack Lenarduzzi and get a new front office in there that has a plan.

BeninatoTFC
08-09-2019, 05:58 PM
Given Vancouver's penny pinching I wonder if Ricketts is volunteering?

Greatest Ripoff
08-09-2019, 06:17 PM
but he couldn't for Canada

Then how is he 4th in all time scoring for Canada?

stegosaurus
08-09-2019, 07:05 PM
He somehow did it in 2017 and this year in Europe - but he couldn't for Canada & didn't in 2018 for us.

He wouldn't fit our system now.

I don’t think he would either, and I don’t want Ricketts back.

TFC has a history of bad backup strikers. Mullins is just the next in a long line.

stegosaurus
08-09-2019, 07:15 PM
I hear Ricketts to Whitecaps is done anyways so it doesn't matter.

I'm not saying Mullins is good but much like Boyd, he should get a few matches to find his footing and if no good then see ya.

Watching Mullins play you can tell how far he’s regressed and how little promise is left, from a player who was once considered a potential quality USMNT prospect.

The funny thing is that just about the only thing he could do was hold up play and maybe lay-off at the Crew, but for some reason he can’t even do that here.

It’s not a string of useless minutes here that formed my opinion of him, unfortunately. He simply didn’t look good before arriving here either.

It’s unfortunate, because he could be a pretty versatile player capable of playing in different formations and contributing to the attack in a meaningful way.

jloome
08-09-2019, 07:49 PM

I used to go to the occasional Lynx game and knew the U-Sector from back then. The Lynx had trouble getting decent crowds to Centennial Stadium. Nothing screams "low budget" like their operation was

And yet when I point out that the same problem existed in every other non-MLS Canadian franchise and to an extent does with the new CPL as well, I get crapped on by an endless parade of "build it from nothing" folks.

jloome
08-09-2019, 07:53 PM

The lack of appreciation for his abilities here constantly fucking astounds me.

rydermike
08-09-2019, 08:05 PM
Did Ricketts have to go through the allocation order since he's a former Mls player?

Oldtimer
08-09-2019, 09:55 PM
Did Ricketts have to go through the allocation order since he's a former Mls player?

No, he wasn't sold by TFC, TFC didn't keep his rights, plus he's not a usmnt member so he's a free agent.

ag futbol
08-10-2019, 02:07 PM
That’s hardly a prestigious list. Basically if you played up top and didn’t give up on the team in disgust over the past two decades, you’d get enough games against minnows to “pad” your stat totals. The total amount of goals these guys have isn’t even very high. I would expect Jonathan David to be our all time leading goal scorer in the next 16 months. And as much as he’s actually prolific, that’s saying something.

OgtheDim
08-10-2019, 02:46 PM
The lack of appreciation for his abilities here constantly fucking astounds me.

Years of watching him with the CanMNT will do that. I have seen nothing to change my mind.

He scores goals when he doesn't think.

stegosaurus
08-11-2019, 08:45 PM
Miami may be bringing in one of my favourite PSG players, Edi Cavani.

Unfortunately this means I have to purchase an Inter Miami FC United Beckhams North End kit, but at least the colour scheme is cool.

Areathrasher
08-12-2019, 08:46 AM

The Allocation Process is the mechanism used to determine which MLS club has first priority to acquire a player listed on the Allocation Ranking List (https://www.mlssoccer.com/allocation). This list will consist of (i) select U.S. Men's National Team players, (ii) select youth U.S. National Team players, and/or (iii) former MLS players returning to MLS after joining a non-MLS club for a transfer fee greater than $500,000

https://www.mlssoccer.com/league/official-rules/mls-roster-rules-and-regulations

Defoe
08-13-2019, 02:18 AM
https://www.mlssoccer.com/league/official-rules/mls-roster-rules-and-regulations

Edinson Cavani to Miami?. Mega stars coming over to MLS in their early 30's is becoming routine at this point.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/08/12/report-psgs-edinson-cavani-become-inter-miamis-first-showcase-signing-0

wynne
11-06-2019, 09:13 PM
Nagbe heading to Columbus

OgtheDim
11-06-2019, 09:20 PM
And Dax Mac to Nashville.

James17930
11-07-2019, 12:01 AM
Do we still have top spot in the allocation order?

Oldtimer
11-07-2019, 08:14 AM
Do we still have top spot in the allocation order?

No. Toronto is #22.

James17930
11-07-2019, 10:01 AM
No. Toronto is #22.

Thanks.