PDA

View Full Version : 2019 general TFC/MLS banter

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

MightyDM
08-20-2019, 07:49 AM
I

Just watched this. It severely pisses me off. All this “playing the victim” crap, Manning is crying this same song too.

The team decided to go into the final year of significant contracts with world footballers, who don’t act or think like North Americans do in other sports about playing out the final year, unless they are in severe decline. What Seba did, what VV did, is market practice and was predictable and was knowable.

Manning should have known it, Bez should have known it, and Curtis and anyone else interviewing for this job should have known it.

Everybody involved got caught with their pants around their ankles, but nobody is man enough to say they thought they didn’t need a belt.

Do your job.

Totally. Totally totally totally.

MightyDM
08-20-2019, 08:08 AM
I'm telling you dude, as much as Vanney's choices can piss me off, he's not the poor coach we're seeing under this guy. I just smell "shirker" all over this dude. Very high on himself, very high on his own potential, very unwilling to take an iota of blame for basic common sense decisions.

I don't know. But you have high emotional intelligence or something - you are good at this - so you may very well be right.

Its also American. They are taught that everything America does is better. So have natural blind spots, because if you are the best why learn what anyone else does.

MightyDM
08-20-2019, 08:21 AM
More unsaid than said in that video. Interesting.

Areathrasher
08-20-2019, 08:52 AM
All 4 One (TFC Pravda TV Edition) gives us 9 minutes of Ali Curtis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY7XFL6AB0k&t=

Of note:

"I didn't expect Sebastian to leave, for Victor to leave, for the VDW situation"

He's so fucking corporate. And proud of it. Gives me the heebee geebees...

08-20-2019, 12:31 PM
MLS expands to St. Louis (28th franchise). Team will begin competing in 2022.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/mls-awards-expansion-franchise-st-louis-debut-2022/

Luanda
08-20-2019, 06:43 PM
So folks, we are going to have 7 games between Sept 07 and 29!
It will be fun to seek how CV manages the situation!

ensco
08-20-2019, 08:11 PM
This All for One format is great for championship teams ...the TFC 2017 ones were good, the Raptors' ones this past spring/summer were out of this world amazing, Academy Award winning, go watch the playoff editions if you haven't , I am not kidding!

But this format really really sucks for a team like TFC 2019, where management has a credibility problem, has never found its footing, and has dissembled a lot (eg “player coming in two weeks” every two weeks, weird stories about talent identification that don’t stand up to scrutiny, the Pozo own goal at the January deadline, and of course the lack of readiness for the potential departure of the top players)

This just made everything seems worse than it may even be. The guy did not land whatever he was trying to say, and came away looking like a guy with a very thin resume and a very big opinion of himself that is not grounded in real accomplishments. Duke soccer being treated like Manchester United , Jesus H Christ, I am trying to picture Seba's or Jozy's or Michael's reaction to that.

The one thing I agree with - Hagglund for Gonzalez was a sweet piece of business.

But just cancel this effing series until the playoffs. I'm begging you.

(When Bradley was 22, Curtis' age the last year Curtis played at Duke, Bradley scored 18 goals at Heerenveen and was sold for $3M to a Bundesliga team. It was one of the biggest transfer fees ever for an American at the time. Make a movie about that!)

OgtheDim
08-21-2019, 06:03 AM
The slow death of the last 18 months has been debilitating to all patience with fluff it seems. :smilewinkgrin:

One thing I would suggest to Manning is we NEVER do a shirt making video ever again - seems a curse.

portu
08-21-2019, 06:05 AM
So folks, we are going to have 7 games between Sept 07 and 29!
It will be fun to seek how CV manages the situation!

With excuses. Plenty of excuses.

ag futbol
08-21-2019, 09:55 AM
This All for One format is great for championship teams ...the TFC 2017 ones were good, the Raptors' ones this past spring/summer were out of this world amazing, Academy Award winning, go watch the playoff editions if you haven't , I am not kidding!

But this format really really sucks for a team like TFC 2019, where management has a credibility problem, has never found its footing, and has dissembled a lot (eg “player coming in two weeks” every two weeks, weird stories about talent identification that don’t stand up to scrutiny, the Pozo own goal at the January deadline, and of course the lack of readiness for the potential departure of the top players)

This just made everything seems worse than it may even be. The guy did not land whatever he was trying to say, and came away looking like a guy with a very thin resume and a very big opinion of himself that is not grounded in real accomplishments. Duke soccer being treated like Manchester United , Jesus H Christ, I am trying to picture Seba's or Jozy's or Michael's reaction to that.

The one thing I agree with - Hagglund for Gonzalez was a sweet piece of business.

But just cancel this effing series until the playoffs. I'm begging you.

(When Bradley was 22, Curtis' age the last year Curtis played at Duke, Bradley scored 18 goals at Heerenveen and was sold for $3M to a Bundesliga team. It was one of the biggest transfer fees ever for an American at the time. Make a movie about that!)
I understand this club has to put something together in terms of media consumption but this is All for One format is just sad and pathetic. It’s waxing poetic over garbage.

I also find it funny that an executive who leaves the appearance of being late on his assignments is spending his time on this. Is the staff playing to his ego featuring him for the sake of kissing ass?

He should stick to press releases and actually making quality signings (before it’s six months too late).

Areathrasher
08-21-2019, 01:31 PM
The Impact have sacked Garde and hired Willmer Cabrera

Canary10
08-21-2019, 02:25 PM
The Impact have sacked Garde and hired Willmer Cabrera

Crazy!

ensco
08-21-2019, 02:45 PM
Crazy!

That is a very good move

OgtheDim
08-21-2019, 03:05 PM
Cabrera is a good coach when he has time to prepare. He is NOT so good when he has to wing it.

MightyDM
08-21-2019, 06:02 PM
Cabrera is a good coach when he has time to prepare. He is NOT so good when he has to wing it.

He outmanouevered Vanney a few weeks ago.

OgtheDim
08-21-2019, 10:20 PM
He outmanouevered Vanney a few weeks ago.

Time to prepare

Defoe
08-21-2019, 10:23 PM
All 4 One (TFC Pravda TV Edition) gives us 9 minutes of Ali Curtis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY7XFL6AB0k&t=

Of note:

"I didn't expect Sebastian to leave, for Victor to leave, for the VDW situation"

How did he do that

https://www.google.com/search?q=Gus+Fring&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAONgFuLSz9U3ME4xNqmwUAKzMyzNkspy tWSyk630S8qAKL6gKD-9KDHXKjkjsSgxuSS1qPgRYzS3wMsf94SlgiatOXmN0YcLr3IhD S4217ySzJJKITkuPikkKzUYpHi4kPhWTBpMPItY5XMTM_MUEAY oAHlJRamJ2Zl56QpJiSkAPjkoTLgAAAA&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjk-5zpwZXkAhW-FzQIHWoFAM4Q_AUIESgB&biw=1280&bih=721#imgrc=eXyQz-2O-IH9vM:

Oldtimer
08-21-2019, 10:49 PM
MLS Multiplex had this to say about Cabrera :

the consistency was off, his tactical tinkering infuriating, and he could not construct a consistently excellent side. In the end, it cost him his job.

https://mlsmultiplex.com/2019/08/21/montreal-impact-firing-remi-garde-makes-sense-not-like/amp/

ensco
08-22-2019, 06:38 AM
Vela with an unbelievable goal in Beitashour derby last night.

https://twitter.com/sportscenter/status/1164378276565049344?s=21

These LAFC games are mostly on in the middle of the night, so it's hard to keep up, but they are shredding all previous claims to best MLS team ever.

MightyDM
08-22-2019, 07:34 AM

These LAFC games are mostly on in the middle of the night, so it's hard to keep up, but they are shredding all previous claims to best MLS team ever.

Perhaps why Jozy says we don’t have the quality ...

Canary10
08-22-2019, 08:17 AM

Yup. Vela is incredible.

benito
08-22-2019, 10:04 AM

What a goal!

OgtheDim
08-22-2019, 12:10 PM
In some ways, Vela is like Seba: a guy in a certain situation who comes here in the prime of his career and kills the league.

In Seba's case, he was seen as too small & had players in front of him at Juve & who wanted to play so he could be on the Italians NT.

In Vela's case, he has no interest what so ever in fame or glory or the Mexican NT - he just wants to play, be the man, and score goals & get paid a LOT of money.

These things are not reproducable.

BTW...nice goal but the post hype from MLS on this is just getting nauseating.

Oldtimer
08-22-2019, 12:45 PM

... and Vela the best player ever. This is better than Giovinco's undressing of RBNY.

It seems like the best teams are solid overall but have at least one special player to put them over the top. Zlatan is that for the Galaxy. We don't have a player like that anymore.

C.Ronaldo
08-22-2019, 02:03 PM
... and Vela the best player ever. This is better than Giovinco's undressing of RBNY.

It seems like the best teams are solid overall but have at least one special player to put them over the top. Zlatan is that for the Galaxy. We don't have a player like that anymore.

League doesn't have too many of these. Piatti comes to mind. Without him Mtl's history would be even worse

OgtheDim
08-22-2019, 03:03 PM
Before we go all ga ga on this.

A) Seba's goal was better - and we bombed against Montreal that year

B) Zlatan's team didn't make the playoffs last year

C) Vela's LAFC last year fell at home in the first round to RSL

i.e. Beware the great man theory of MLS success

Oldtimer
08-22-2019, 03:20 PM

But what about Piatti? Oh wait, nevermind...

ag futbol
08-22-2019, 03:24 PM
Before we go all ga ga on this.

A) Seba's goal was better - and we bombed against Montreal that year

B) Zlatan's team didn't make the playoffs last year

C) Vela's LAFC last year fell at home in the first round to RSL

Downplaying it works a little better when you’re not 16 points clear of second place.

OgtheDim
08-22-2019, 03:40 PM
Downplaying it works a little better when you’re not 16 points clear of second place.

I guess my point is good teams win with big stars - big stars don't win without good teams.

ag futbol
08-22-2019, 04:21 PM
I guess my point is good teams win with big stars - big stars don't win without good teams.
No argument there. Also think Seba’s goal was better

ensco
08-23-2019, 12:12 PM
Probably need an LAFC discussion thread. Their stats are unreal

https://twitter.com/mattdoyle76/status/1164569445920100353?s=21

benito
08-23-2019, 12:29 PM

LAFC's goal differential is +46 with 8 games left.

That's a really impressive stat. TFC was +37 for the 2017 Championship Season. I haven't seen any LAFC games this year but I imagine its a real joy watching them play.

613reppingTFC
08-23-2019, 01:13 PM
LAFC have been fairly entertaining to watch, they always put on a high press for the ball and try to get the turnover by rushing them quickly and all as a team not one individual at at time. Their stadium seems like they have a great supporters and extremely loud in there. Curious to see how Toronto will fare against them next month when we travel to their stadium.

OgtheDim
08-23-2019, 01:48 PM
Just one weird thing on that supporter wall with LAFC.

They had a reporter in this week for the San Jose game - when people scored, she wanted to cheeer and got chided by people for stopping the singing.

i.e. We never stop singing more important then what happens on the field.

Oldtimer
08-23-2019, 01:48 PM

They are actually more dominant than the original NY Cosmos were in the original NASL, which didn't have a salary cap for most of its existence. The Cosmos won 65% of their matches, LAFC is ahead of that.

SPALE
08-24-2019, 07:10 AM
Just one weird thing on that supporter wall with LAFC.

They had a reporter in this week for the San Jose game - when people scored, she wanted to cheeer and got chided by people for stopping the singing.

i.e. We never stop singing more important then what happens on the field.

Weird and no so much. All depends where you want to take that supporters group and how well you want be known. I’ve been to Belgrade to watch red star play ( I have family that are massive Delije ). And with those guys if you stop chanting or singing when a chant is on you will be yelled at once. The second time you are being asked to leave with no choice for you You will be removed from there or you’re best to just leave on you’re own. They are right, there is more then half the stadium for you to sit on you’re hands and watch the game. But if you’re there to be a part of something then that’s youre job today. Win or lose! When I get a chance to sit in our supporters area I don’t even let my 5 year old stop chanting and singing. When we go to our seats we can sit and watch the game WE NEED TO BE UNITED AND LOUD TONIGHT!! Not 3 separate chants going at once. GO REDS If this is in wrong thread sorry but the post about reporter caught my attention

Redpunkfiddle
08-24-2019, 07:54 AM
Weird and no so much. All depends where you want to take that supporters group and how well you want be known. I’ve been to Belgrade to watch red star play ( I have family that are massive Delije ). And with those guys if you stop chanting or singing when a chant is on you will be yelled at once. The second time you are being asked to leave with no choice for you You will be removed from there or you’re best to just leave on you’re own. They are right, there is more then half the stadium for you to sit on you’re hands and watch the game. But if you’re there to be a part of something then that’s youre job today. Win or lose! When I get a chance to sit in our supporters area I don’t even let my 5 year old stop chanting and singing. When we go to our seats we can sit and watch the game WE NEED TO BE UNITED AND LOUD TONIGHT!! Not 3 separate chants going at once. GO REDS If this is in wrong thread sorry but the post about reporter caught my attention

There is a difference between sitting on your hands and reacting to game events like scoring by switching from a chant to cheering. That was the point. Different styles.

Brooker
08-24-2019, 11:56 AM
I'm calling it right now. LA will be MLS' Tampa Bay come playoff time. They aren't lifting the cup.

When I get a chance to sit in our supporters area I don’t even let my 5 year old stop chanting and singing.

I love the passion but this is drivel.

ensco
08-24-2019, 01:30 PM
I'm calling it right now. LA will be MLS' Tampa Bay come playoff time. They aren't lifting the cup

Why? I don’t get where that level of certainty could come from..

I suppose Atlanta could beat them, though I wouldn’t call it likely.

Kinda feels like the league should just cancel the playoffs and let those two play a best of 7.

Brooker
08-24-2019, 04:24 PM
Why? I don’t get where that level of certainty could come from..

No rhyme or reason. I just have a feeling. Things are going too well. #TooMuchOfAGoodThing :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFBtigi37Js

notthesun
08-24-2019, 04:54 PM
Beating LAFC over 2 legs in the playoffs this year would seem quite the tall order... with it being single-game elimination now, other teams have a chance. They should still win the Cup though with this kind of season.

SoccMan2
08-25-2019, 04:44 PM
This playoff format sucks, this is soccer not NFL football, play a home and away two game series please. Moreover , cramming all these games in a shorter season sucks too, too many games where good players were rested this season because of all the midweek games. Until this league has better depth of players it’s not fair for the paying public to go watch so many games where top players are rested because of all the games crammed into a shorter season.

noimpactinmtl
08-25-2019, 07:00 PM
This playoff format sucks, this is soccer not NFL football, play a home and away two game series please. Moreover , cramming all these games in a shorter season sucks too, too many games where good players were rested this season because of all the midweek games. Until this league has better depth of players it’s not fair for the paying public to go watch so many games where top players are rested because of all the games crammed into a shorter season.

The counterpoint is people will complain about playing during the middle of winter, or worse, BMO Field in the middle of February.

The current playoff format is designed so that luck and random chance determines winners.

DinamoTFC
08-25-2019, 08:31 PM
The counterpoint is people will complain about playing during the middle of winter, or worse, BMO Field in the middle of February.

The current playoff format is designed so that luck and random chance determines winners.

And to cut down the negatives of having 2 international break periods during the playoffs which kill any momentum or buzz.
We will see if it works or not this year.

OgtheDim
08-25-2019, 09:27 PM
Its really just an invitational cup competition that happens to be called the playoffs. 1 and done is fine by me.

Mikmacdo
08-26-2019, 08:27 AM
This playoff format sucks, this is soccer not NFL football, play a home and away two game series please. Moreover , cramming all these games in a shorter season sucks too, too many games where good players were rested this season because of all the midweek games. Until this league has better depth of players it’s not fair for the paying public to go watch so many games where top players are rested because of all the games crammed into a shorter season.What can you do when a lot of teams are in the north with awful winters?

Kayaker
08-26-2019, 12:02 PM
Ok, looking a bit at the schedule.... Here are our remaining games:
@NE, @cin, @nyc, Col, @mtl (Can champ), @lafc, mtl (can champ), @chicago, cbus

I really like this site: http://www.sportsclubstats.com/USA/TorontoFC.html for showing our chances for making the playoffs and seeding.

Basically, we need 2 wins for a 38% of getting into the playoffs, and 5 wins would give us a 77% of a home game.

LAFC is a throw away game (in between montreal games and does anyone really think we can win there?), NYCFC would be a good chance at a loss due to international call ups (bradley, altidore, gonzalez, osorio, possible others). Cincinnati is the easiest case for a win, even without the international call ups).

So, we lose LAFC, NYCFC..... we win Cincinnati, Colorado, and Columbus. Let's say we tie Chicago. The NE game is the difference between going on the road in the playoffs (93% vs 5% to host) and 43% chance to host one game at least vs. 57% going on the road.

Both scenarios have our most likely opponent will be NY Red Bulls.

pfk
08-26-2019, 01:14 PM
Ok, looking a bit at the schedule.... Here are our remaining games:
@NE, @cin, @nyc, Col, @mtl (Can champ), @lafc, mtl (can champ), @chicago, cbus

I really like this site: http://www.sportsclubstats.com/USA/TorontoFC.html for showing our chances for making the playoffs and seeding.

Basically, we need 2 wins for a 38% of getting into the playoffs, and 5 wins would give us a 77% of a home game.

LAFC is a throw away game (in between montreal games and does anyone really think we can win there?), NYCFC would be a good chance at a loss due to international call ups (bradley, altidore, gonzalez, osorio, possible others). Cincinnati is the easiest case for a win, even without the international call ups).

So, we lose LAFC, NYCFC..... we win Cincinnati, Colorado, and Columbus. Let's say we tie Chicago. The NE game is the difference between going on the road in the playoffs (93% vs 5% to host) and 43% chance to host one game at least vs. 57% going on the road.

Both scenarios have our most likely opponent will be NY Red Bulls.

If you notice on TFC V NER game; if the good guys win, there's 20% increase in the chances of making the playoffs. A loss is decrease of 11% chance in getting in. It's a huge game and it would be great to win in that dump.

OgtheDim
08-26-2019, 01:23 PM
The September US games are friendlies - I'm not too sure Bradley or Gonzalez get called up again period & I would say its 50/50 for Altidore in this window (he will be gone in October/November).

OgtheDim
08-26-2019, 04:27 PM
On another note:

https://twitter.com/wrongsideofpond/status/1165836897668730880

rydermike
08-26-2019, 05:04 PM
Terrence Boyd has scored 2 goals (and 1 assist) in 3 games in 3rd division Germany. I think back to that penalty kick in the Champions League he missed, wonder if he scored if it would've completely changed his performance or if that was always a monkey on his back.

SoccMan2
08-26-2019, 08:00 PM
Terrence Boyd has scored 2 goals (and 1 assist) in 3 games in 3rd division Germany. I think back to that penalty kick in the Champions League he missed, wonder if he scored if it would've completely changed his performance or if that was always a monkey on his back.
Maybe it’s the fact it is the German 3rd division ? Yes the MLS is not a top 6 league in the world but it’s definitely better than the German 3rd division and I’m not surprised that this Boyd guy is scoring there .

SoccMan2
08-26-2019, 08:09 PM
Its really just an invitational cup competition that happens to be called the playoffs. 1 and done is fine by me.
Ya but we live in North America where playoffs are what counts, yes it was nice winning the Supporters Shield in 2017 but let’s be honest apart from the hardcore fans winning the Supporters Shield did anyone in Toronto even notice ? But winning the MLS Cup did create a bit of a buzz in the city. So therefore let’s get the playoff format right and get back to the two game home and away series , let’s keep the one game one and done for the MLS Cup Final.

MightyDM
08-26-2019, 08:40 PM
Very happy for Terry. He has class.

Red CB Toronto
08-26-2019, 09:26 PM
The September US games are friendlies - I'm not too sure Bradley or Gonzalez get called up again period & I would say its 50/50 for Altidore in this window (he will be gone in October/November).

TFC will already be without a few during the international break as Canada has a pair of Nation's League matches vs. Cuba, the Reds are at Cincinnati at the same time on Saturday. Expect at least a few to be gone for this, Oso, Ashtone, maybe Chappers, Liam, there will be some give and take here. In regards to the US they have their biggest rival Mexico on the Friday night on America's biggest stage in NYC. It will be interesting to see if Jozy and Michael choose to go. Jozy at this point can't be turning down USMNT opportunities. These two are American legends but they also have enough understanding of their importance to TFC playoff push too, so there will be some give and take here too.

OgtheDim
08-27-2019, 09:53 PM
Atlanta booking their place in CCL next year winning the US Open Cup.

portu
08-28-2019, 02:30 AM
Atlanta booking their place in CCL next year winning the US Open Cup.

LAFC pretty much have supporters shield as well. Hoping for the Galaxy to win the playoffs.

LAG, LAFC and Atlanta would be a very very strong showing for MLS in CCL. If we get our shit together it'll be the best ever group of teams from MLS in CCL by a longshot.

OgtheDim
08-28-2019, 06:38 AM
LAFC pretty much have supporters shield as well. Hoping for the Galaxy to win the playoffs.

LAG, LAFC and Atlanta would be a very very strong showing for MLS in CCL. If we get our shit together it'll be the best ever group of teams from MLS in CCL by a longshot.

2 LA teams in their might move the needle as far as US soccer culture taking CCL seriously (ironically I've been involved in a running discussion with Atlanta fans who consider the Campeones cup as a major trophy)

rydermike
08-28-2019, 09:01 AM
Hoping for the Galaxy to win the playoffs.

I think you mean you hope the Galaxy lose in the finals to a last minute red hot Toronto Fc :D :D :D

Kayaker
08-28-2019, 10:45 AM
Good news.... no USMNT call ups for September friendlies (vs. Mexico and Uruguay).
https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2019/08/berhalter-calls-26-players-for-matches-against-mexico-and-uruguay

OG, Bradley, and Jozy all available for Cincinnati and NYCFC games. Let's see who gets called up for Canada (probably Osorio at least)

Kayaker
08-28-2019, 10:58 AM
Good news.... no USMNT call ups for September friendlies (vs. Mexico and Uruguay).
https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2019/08/berhalter-calls-26-players-for-matches-against-mexico-and-uruguay

OG, Bradley, and Jozy all available for Cincinnati and NYCFC games. Let's see who gets called up for Canada (probably Osorio at least)

...and CMNT call ups are out now too..... Osorio, Laryea, and Fraser.

OgtheDim
08-28-2019, 11:24 AM
Auro better not go down injured....otherwise its Morrow on the right basically being an inverted FB going forward.

Joe Kool
08-28-2019, 11:37 AM
Auro better not go down injured....otherwise its Morrow on the right basically being an inverted FB going forward.

Not preferable obviously but I think Deleon played RB for a bit for DC did he not? Might also be able to fill in should we need it in a pinch. Likely it would be Ashtone coming in though and Morrow moving over like you said.

OgtheDim
08-28-2019, 11:39 AM
Vancouver in Montreal tonight

Fully expect Montreal to win that one. They will be tied with us but played 2 more games.

Initial B
08-28-2019, 06:00 PM
For some reason, I'm expecting a 0-0 tie...

OgtheDim
08-28-2019, 07:56 PM
Doniel own goal klaxon

Oldtimer
08-28-2019, 09:09 PM
Montreal win 2-1 because a Tos goal for Vancouver got called back for infringement. Tos did well at points and set up the one goal Vancouver did have that counted. Neither side as a whole played all that well. With this result, Montreal knocks TFC out of a playoff position, for now.

Mikmacdo
08-28-2019, 10:46 PM
Not preferable obviously but I think Deleon played RB for a bit for DC did he not? Might also be able to fill in should we need it in a pinch. Likely it would be Ashtone coming in though and Morrow moving over like you said.
Yeah Deleon could play RB, I think he even played rb or lb once this year for tfc in a 3-5-2.

OgtheDim
08-29-2019, 12:24 PM
Athletic story about Houston's woes - paywalled.

https://theathletic.com/1171290/2019/08/29/fans-feeling-pushed-away-and-rejected-by-houston-dynamos-plans-for-change/

Biggest takeaway - Houston actually drawing only 3-4K a game & its most diehard of fans are leaving while the team says they want to build a bigger supporter section (Houston has been bringing in paid for drummers for years now)

magmadragon
08-29-2019, 01:08 PM
Athletic story about Houston's woes - paywalled.

https://theathletic.com/1171290/2019/08/29/fans-feeling-pushed-away-and-rejected-by-houston-dynamos-plans-for-change/

Biggest takeaway - Houston actually drawing only 3-4K a game & its most diehard of fans are leaving while the team says they want to build a bigger supporter section (Houston has been bringing in paid for drummers for years now)

From what I see online, Houston has the same issue all the low performing teams share - terrible ownership. Most of those also correlate to MLS 1.0 cities but that's a whole other can of worms.

OgtheDim
08-29-2019, 04:21 PM
From what I see online, Houston has the same issue all the low performing teams share - terrible ownership. Most of those also correlate to MLS 1.0 cities but that's a whole other can of worms.

In Houston's case, 1.0 ownership sold to somebody unwilling to spend who doesn't feel the need to understand the market (the president last run the Memphis Grizzlies of the NBA).

Oldtimer
08-29-2019, 07:28 PM
In Houston's case, 1.0 ownership sold to somebody unwilling to spend who doesn't feel the need to understand the market (the president last run the Memphis Grizzlies of the NBA).

What they need is an owner to come in like KC did, and totally revamp things. KC was getting less than 10k attendance at the old ball park yet look at them now.

One problem with single entity is that an owner can make money from revenue sharing (ie SUM revenues) even if he runs his team into the ground, so there's not much incentive for a cheapskate owner to run things well.

OgtheDim
08-30-2019, 05:58 AM
In post Pozuelo news

Genk made it to the Champions League 32 group - they are in a group with Liverpool, Napoli & Jesse Marsch's unbeaten Salzburg Energy Drinks

C.Ronaldo
08-30-2019, 08:48 AM
whats with all the MLSPA profile pics

Areathrasher
08-30-2019, 09:39 AM
whats with all the MLSPA profile pics

Showing a united front ahead of CBA negotiations. They can't bend over for the owners like they did last time.

ensco
08-30-2019, 12:56 PM
In post Pozuelo news

Genk made it to the Champions League 32 group - they are in a group with Liverpool, Napoli & Jesse Marsch's unbeaten Salzburg Energy Drinks

Interesting. This development may be showing up in Pozo's play lately.

notthesun
08-31-2019, 09:29 AM
The Athletic put up a profile piece on John Bostock today. Following his career and all the stops he's had. Here's what he said about TFC:

Following that flurry of loan moves into all three divisions of the Football League, the chance to play in MLS with Toronto – where he was part of a squad that also included Robert Earnshaw – helped Bostock learn something about competitive spirit.

“Canada was my last loan, when I was still at Spurs. That was under Ryan Nelson, the former Spurs player. He was head coach there at the time,” says Bostock. “He got the manager’s job at Toronto and he asked me to go over there and play.

“It was interesting, having four or five months out there, all of which was valuable experience.

“Canada is very different. MLS had a stigma attached to it at the time, but going out there to play and compete was brilliant and compete was the right word. The Americans and Canadians have the same frame of mind out there – competition is absolutely everything. In any sport, it is all about winning.

“Seeing the way they prepared and went about their work was a real eye opener for me.

“I am glad I experienced it, I have fond memories from my time in Toronto.”

rydermike
09-07-2019, 07:23 PM
Ryan Telfer decided to join Trinidad and Tobego after not getting a call up from Canada. He's now cap tied to them

Auzzy
09-07-2019, 07:31 PM
Ryan Telfer decided to join Trinidad and Tobego after not getting a call up from Canada. He's now cap tied to them

Holy shit that sucks!

PaceyWinger
09-07-2019, 08:56 PM
Holy shit that sucks!
meh good for him.. no chance he would be making a CMNT comprtition of any note with all due respect to him.

noimpactinmtl
09-07-2019, 10:54 PM
meh good for him.. no chance he would be making a CMNT comprtition of any note with all due respect to him.

On the flip side, imagine being so deep that a promising winger decided his only chance at being capped is choosing Trinidad over Canada.

When is the last time you could say that about CMNT?

PawTar711
09-10-2019, 12:07 PM
With only a few games left in the regular season, it looks like the Montreal Impact is the only team that we are playing until the end including a tough game against the New York City FC, and then the Columbus Crew in October. We already have a playoff spot, so we need to continue to win, do you guys think its possible to make the playoffs???

OgtheDim
09-10-2019, 12:17 PM
I'm in the "I don't think its going to happen camp" The defence has too many issues & I see some weakness right in front of them with way too much attempting to pass it out when sometimes it should just be hoofed to the sides.

The test for me is these next 2 games. NYC is the best in the East right now - Colorado, since they fired their coach back in the spring, has been playing like a playoff quality team - Fraser has made them even better (and he knows us). I think we go through that with 0 points and put the pressure right back on this team (and it can't handle pressure right now).

The Voyageurs is another matter - we won't win that easily but that is a MUST for this organization and it will be all hands on deck for the 2nd game here.

JT Red127
09-10-2019, 12:49 PM
On the flip side, imagine being so deep that a promising winger decided his only chance at being capped is choosing Trinidad over Canada.

Is he a "promising winger"? Telfer, dont forget is soon to be 26 years old. He is what he is. Good luck to him.

ensco
09-10-2019, 01:29 PM
I am not sure people are getting the joke re Telfer. He made a rational decision.

T&T qualified for the WC only 12 years ago (ie in Telfer's lifetime, unlike us) and aren’t all that different than us. A bit lower in the rankings right now, and unlikely to make it to WC 2022, but how likely is Canada, really?

Their manager played in that WC and was a key player for a very good Swansea team for years, and frankly has a better pedigree than Herdman.

ag futbol
09-10-2019, 01:44 PM

There have been a few guys around this quality that have switched to smaller national teams. One was a former TFC player who subsequently played in RSL’s system (name escapes me).

Anywho, we’ve picked up our share as well. Arfield and most recently Eustáquio (who is a big win).

I’m okay with it.

portu
09-10-2019, 01:51 PM
There have been a few guys around this quality that have switched to smaller national teams. One was a former TFC player who subsequently played in RSL’s system (name escapes me).

Anywho, we’ve picked up our share as well. Arfield and most recently Eustáquio (who is a big win).

I’m okay with it.

Welshman for Guyana I think.

Canary10
09-10-2019, 01:52 PM
I'm in the "I don't think its going to happen camp" The defence has too many issues & I see some weakness right in front of them with way too much attempting to pass it out when sometimes it should just be hoofed to the sides.

The test for me is these next 2 games. NYC is the best in the East right now - Colorado, since they fired their coach back in the spring, has been playing like a playoff quality team - Fraser has made them even better (and he knows us). I think we go through that with 0 points and put the pressure right back on this team (and it can't handle pressure right now).

The Voyageurs is another matter - we won't win that easily but that is a MUST for this organization and it will be all hands on deck for the 2nd game here.

We probably need only 5-6 more points to make the playoffs. I think we can pick those points up. Knock on wood.

ag futbol
09-10-2019, 02:04 PM
Welshman for Guyana I think.
That’s the one.

Oldtimer
09-10-2019, 02:33 PM
I am not sure people are getting the joke re Telfer. He made a rational decision.

T&T qualified for the WC only 12 years ago (ie in Telfer's lifetime, unlike us) and aren’t all that different than us. A bit lower in the rankings right now, and unlikely to make it to WC 2022, but how likely is Canada, really?

Their manager played in that WC and was a key player for a very good Swansea team for years, and frankly has a better pedigree than Herdman.

This is how a number of players feel, where who you represent is who gives you the biggest advantage.

Some of us feel that the country that actually gave you your advantages deserves you representing them, rather than your grandfather's country, and would respectfully disagree.

Now I've seen it argued that Canada is so deep in his position that Telfer couldn't even hope for a sniff at the CMNT. In that case, it's understandable. However, he shouldn't count as a "domestic" player any more for the CPL. The whole purpose of having the CPL is to help the CMNT.

ensco
09-10-2019, 09:53 PM
This is how a number of players feel, where who you represent is who gives you the biggest advantage.

Some of us feel that the country that actually gave you your advantages deserves you representing them, rather than your grandfather's country, and would respectfully disagree.

Now I've seen it argued that Canada is so deep in his position that Telfer couldn't even hope for a sniff at the CMNT. In that case, it's understandable. However, he shouldn't count as a "domestic" player any more for the CPL. The whole purpose of having the CPL is to help the CMNT.

This issue is a biggie in world football. It tore apart the French team about 7 years ago, and cost Laurent Blanc the French MNT job.

(France produces a ton of U 21 players who decide to ultimately play for North and West African national teams, and Blanc was taped suggesting that France have an unstated quota on U 21s that had dual nationalities.)

Oldtimer
09-11-2019, 08:28 PM
Interesting Guardian article on the quality of MLS defending leading to lots of goals.

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2019/sep/10/is-mls-blessed-with-brilliant-attackers-or-terrible-defenders

noimpactinmtl
09-11-2019, 09:37 PM

Does Iwobi count in Everton? He grew up in London since he was 8, came through the Arsenal academy but ultimately chose to represent Nigeria instead of England. Where does the domestic player choose to play should have no bearing on whether he is domestic or not, because the reasons why he chose to play for another country are often beyond their control.

Oldtimer
09-12-2019, 08:37 AM
Does Iwobi count in Everton? He grew up in London since he was 8, came through the Arsenal academy but ultimately chose to represent Nigeria instead of England. Where does the domestic player choose to play should have no bearing on whether he is domestic or not, because the reasons why he chose to play for another country are often beyond their control.

Given that an EPL squad needs only 8 domestic players in a squad of 25, it hardly matters whether he is "domestic" or not. You can play entire games without a single English player seeing the pitch. The CPL requires a majority of starters (not just squad members) to be Canadian so domestic status is quite important.

FWIW, the EPL being mostly foreign is one of the common reasons given for the English WC drought, and the Canadian MNT is even more in need of improving domestic talent over foreign talent than the English MNT.

Auzzy
09-12-2019, 08:59 PM
FWIW, the EPL being mostly foreign is one of the common reasons given for the English WC drought, and the Canadian MNT is even more in need of improving domestic talent over foreign talent than the English MNT.

Soccernomics kinda blew that out of the water though.

OgtheDim
09-12-2019, 10:06 PM
So the President of MLS (that's Abbot, not Garber) was asked about a 4th DP today.

His response

(Laughs.) There’s no fourth DP coming.

DinamoTFC
09-13-2019, 06:59 AM
News this morning reporting pedestrian bridge over the Kitchener go train tracks in liberty village north and not the lakeshore tracks/tunnel as we hoped for.

djcuse
09-13-2019, 07:25 AM
News this morning reporting pedestrian bridge over the go train tracks in liberty village finally to be built this weekend. But says won't open until spring 2020.

Finally.

Unfortunately no where close to BMO Field though. It's a bridge connecting king to Western battery, not a bridge over the Exhibition GO station tracks.

Auzzy
09-13-2019, 08:06 AM
News this morning reporting pedestrian bridge over the go train tracks in liberty village finally to be built this weekend. But says won't open until spring 2020.

Finally.

Unfortunately no where close to BMO Field though. It's a bridge connecting king to Western battery, not a bridge over the Exhibition GO station tracks.

Yeah the new bridge is great for getting in & out of Liberty Village to the north, towards Shaw St. I'll probably be taking it.

But it potentially makes the Exhibition station tunnel worse, as it could draw more peds & cyclists to come in that way rather than via Strachan. We're nowhere close to getting the crossing at the Ex station improved. And they seem incapable of even opening the new north-side entrance to Ex station, which was built a couple of years ago, and could somewhat ease the current crunch on the stairway and platform on the north.

DinamoTFC
09-13-2019, 08:13 AM

Ah man thanks for catching that. Didn't realize. I got excited. I guess the wait continues...

OgtheDim
09-13-2019, 12:20 PM
Chicago with new ownership & confirmation their last game at Bridgeland will be the one against us.

ag futbol
09-13-2019, 01:46 PM
Twitter chatter, Jonathan David, was actually not missed by the Canadian MLS teams but rather opted not to play for them at the advice of his trainer. Was on everyone’s radar from the age of 15 forward.

Considering how he’s turned out his club in Ottawa deserves a lot of credit.

Not that i’d call this the final word but think we in North America are a long way from getting youth development right. Some things need to be revisited for sure.

pfk
09-13-2019, 02:03 PM
Ah man thanks for catching that. Didn't realize. I got excited. I guess the wait continues...

It still doesn't open to the public until next year. I believe the whole wait was 8 years.

Maybe if the World Cup does get played in 2026 at BMO, we only need 7 more years to get an Exhibition bridge built!

stevep
09-13-2019, 05:43 PM
Quick question
Can one delete ones posts on Twitter?
The reason I ask is all the hate for vanneyout is gone now??
Where did it go?

magmadragon
09-13-2019, 05:45 PM
And they seem incapable of even opening the new north-side entrance to Ex station, which was built a couple of years ago, and could somewhat ease the current crunch on the stairway and platform on the north.

Does anyone have any insight into this? I'm pretty sure that was being built for the Pan Am games and then it just stopped. It's overgrown and incomplete. Just seems like some graft.

noimpactinmtl
09-13-2019, 07:38 PM
Yeah the new bridge is great for getting in & out of Liberty Village to the north, towards Shaw St. I'll probably be taking it.

But it potentially makes the Exhibition station tunnel worse, as it could draw more peds & cyclists to come in that way rather than via Strachan. We're nowhere close to getting the crossing at the Ex station improved. And they seem incapable of even opening the new north-side entrance to Ex station, which was built a couple of years ago, and could somewhat ease the current crunch on the stairway and platform on the north.

The bottleneck is the width of the tunnel underneath. It was never meant to hold 20,000+ fans out of BMO Field into Liberty Village. They have to build a second tunnel or widen it.

Auzzy
09-13-2019, 08:19 PM
The bottleneck is the width of the tunnel underneath. It was never meant to hold 20,000+ fans out of BMO Field into Liberty Village. They have to build a second tunnel or widen it.

I agree that the whole thing is not big enough. There was talk of a 2nd tunnel or bridge a while ago, but nothing is happening with that.

But currently the biggest bottleneck after the games is the northwest staircase. The northeast staircase is always less busy but it's a big detour. I still go that way often.

A staircase has a lower capacity than a tunnel of the same width, as people move more slowly & cautiously on stairs than on level ground. The NW staircase (where most people go) is much narrower than the tunnel, so it's the biggest problem. The extra / wider entrance farther to the north would help, as it's higher capacity, and would separate out the people that want to go to the southbound GO platform. The south staircase might then be the next bottleneck, as it's only as wide as the tunnel, but still better than now.

And again, I agree the whole thing isn't designed for the current situation. I'm happy nothing bad has happened. When I go to games with my daughter, we often walk a huge detour to avoid the tunnel. Then again, the situation at Dufferin is also a disaster. How freaking long can it take to replace a goddamn bridge?

magmadragon
09-14-2019, 12:50 PM
Then again, the situation at Dufferin is also a disaster. How freaking long can it take to replace a goddamn bridge?

That's my next favorite one. When the construction was about to begin we got notices in the mail saying they were putting up a temporary bridge. Which I thought was very weird at the time. It's going to take you just as long to do the work, with all the associated train track closures, as it would to build the actual one. It was months and months of work. Why would you do it twice?

Since then we've received no other notices. I can only assume this temporary bridge became permanent. But much like the new north side go tunnel entrance, who knows what the real story is.

DOMIN8R
09-14-2019, 04:11 PM
https://www.cp24.com/news/city-to-install-new-pedestrian-bridge-in-liberty-village-1.4591306

https://blog.metrolinx.com/2019/09/12/huge-spans-to-be-installed-for-new-king-liberty-pedestrian-cycle-bridge-temporary-impact-felt-on-up-express-schedule-this-sunday/

OgtheDim
09-14-2019, 04:32 PM
That bridge is nowhere near the Ex station - its useful to open up Liberty Village to King east of the railway bridge but it won't do a thing about after game congestion.

The actual tunnel(s) that will likely be built is still in planning stages - I suspect a lot is going to be dependent upon 2026 funding.

https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2018/ep/bgrd/backgroundfile-112265.pdf

DOMIN8R
09-14-2019, 05:03 PM
That bridge is nowhere near the Ex station - its useful to open up Liberty Village to King east of the railway bridge but it won't do a thing about after game congestion.

The actual tunnel(s) that will likely be built is still in planning stages - I suspect a lot is going to be dependent upon 2026 funding.

You are right. It's not even relevant to the conversation. :facepalm: Please carry on.

Red CB Toronto
09-14-2019, 05:13 PM
But what does the opening paragraph mean then? A new pedestrian bridge will be installed in Liberty Village this weekend which the provincial transit agency says will provide direct access to the Exhibition GO station.

OgtheDim
09-14-2019, 06:00 PM
But what does the opening paragraph mean then? A new pedestrian bridge will be installed in Liberty Village this weekend which the provincial transit agency says will provide direct access to the Exhibition GO station.

A bridge over that railroad requires Metrolinx permission, at least. They seemed to want to run the project. So, they put in the bit about Exhibition Station in order to make it look like GO related project.

When you look at the map, its basically a pedestrian bridge to just East of the Metro.

portu
09-14-2019, 06:30 PM
Quick question
Can one delete ones posts on Twitter?
The reason I ask is all the hate for vanneyout is gone now??
Where did it go?

Still alive with me. I just think he's not going anywhere until the off-season if anything. I'm not going to shout into the void with no hope of change.

Bobo
09-14-2019, 08:40 PM
Everything going TFC's way tonight.

Atlanta 1-3 Columbus
Montreal 0-1 Cincy (HAHAHA)
Orlando 3-3 NE

Somehow, TFC still have a chance of overtaking Atlanta. Doubt it happens but the thought would have seemed ludicrous in July.

snowcrash
09-15-2019, 07:06 AM
Chicago with new ownership & confirmation their last game at Bridgeland will be the one against us.

Looks like they'll be playing in Soldier Field for 2020 season. Cost the Fire $65M to break the lease, which locked them in until 2036. Also, Forbes article indicates a $400M valuation of the Fire.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2019/09/13/billionaire-joe-mansueto-completes-purchase-of-chicago-fire-at-400-million-valuation/#44c6dfbd4709

Auzzy
09-15-2019, 07:25 AM
Looks like they'll be playing in Soldier Field for 2020 season. Cost the Fire $65M to break the lease, which locked them in until 2036. Also, Forbes article indicates a $400M valuation of the Fire.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2019/09/13/billionaire-joe-mansueto-completes-purchase-of-chicago-fire-at-400-million-valuation/#44c6dfbd4709

Holy crap, that's a very interesting article. In July 2018, Chicago Fire was valued at $240 million; now it's valued at $400 million based on these transactions. I realize there may be other factors -- i.e. somebody may charge a premium to completely give up control of an asset. But it's clear the value of MLS teams must be rising significantly; even those that don't seem to be very successful. Expansion fees have been announced at $200 million.

OgtheDim
09-15-2019, 07:44 AM
Chicago & Houston are the big untapped potential markets for MLS - with proper ownership that builds a complete organization & focuses on the communities within their cities they would be massive teams getting 25K crowds every week.

The Latino communities in both cities have been completely ignored apart from token attempts to outreach. (Mind you, I'd like to see TFC break out from the European nights they do for local groups and try outreach to Caribbean or South or Central American groups)

Canuckistan
09-16-2019, 07:36 PM
Chicago & Houston are the big untapped potential markets for MLS - with proper ownership that builds a complete organization & focuses on the communities within their cities they would be massive teams getting 25K crowds every week.

The Latino communities in both cities have been completely ignored apart from token attempts to outreach. (Mind you, I'd like to see TFC break out from the European nights they do for local groups and try outreach to Caribbean or South or Central American groups)

What kills me is that they have a Croatian night every year. Surprised we don't have a Croatian stud player on the team.

Oldtimer
09-16-2019, 09:09 PM
Montreal's coaching change has turned into a complete disaster. Losing to Cincinnati has to be a low point for them.

DinamoTFC
09-16-2019, 09:38 PM
What kills me is that they have a Croatian night every year. Surprised we don't have a Croatian stud player on the team.

I still say our scouting department could be vastly improved. So many good technical players in that league and neighbouring countries that could be bought for affordable prices. Damir Kreilach and Heber currently the only 2 in MLS that have come from Croatian league and big successes for their teams.

ensco
09-17-2019, 05:53 PM
A Champions League game with a couple of MLS subplots today:

Salzburg blitzed Genk, Pozo’s old team, 6-2.

First CL win ever for an American manager (Jesse Marsch)

OgtheDim
09-19-2019, 02:03 PM
Leauge announcing today that Nashville & Miami will pick 5 players each & we can protect 12.

Mikmacdo
09-19-2019, 04:44 PM
David Silva to Miami.

Brooker
09-19-2019, 06:38 PM
Nashville got a team? Completely forgot.

portu
09-20-2019, 05:01 AM
David Silva to Miami.

Is that official?!

pfk
09-20-2019, 08:04 AM
Is that official?!

This is from the Independent in the UK: https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/david-silva-man-city-transfer-news-david-beckham-inter-miami-cf-mls-major-league-soccer-latest-a9112256.html

Auzzy
09-20-2019, 07:19 PM
They were making a big deal today, about the 4,800 km straight-line distance for Astana to Manchester for the Europa League game. And since it's Europa League, these trips will be a relatively rare occurrence. I bet they can use charter flights as well.

The straight-line distance between Vancouver and Orlando is 4,200 km for a regular-season game, and plenty of other trips within in the league are also very long. Add another 330km flight distance to get to Miami in the future. LA to Montreal is 4,000km. Plus a limited number of charter flights are allowed, so trips may be much longer, with stopovers etc.

rydermike
09-20-2019, 09:11 PM
They were making a big deal today, about the 4,800 km straight-line distance for Astana to Manchester for the Europa League game. And since it's Europa League, these trips will be a relatively rare occurrence. I bet they can use charter flights as well.

The straight-line distance between Vancouver and Orlando is 4,200 km for a regular-season game, and plenty of other trips within in the league are also very long. Add another 330km flight distance to get to Miami in the future. LA to Montreal is 4,000km. Plus a limited number of charter flights are allowed, so trips may be much longer, with stopovers etc.

Still doesn't compare to a Russian league team that travelled 11,000 miles (17,700 km)for a league game

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40078220

Edit: Just realized that was round trip not one way. So it was 5500 miles (8850km)

Hamilton_Red
09-21-2019, 01:02 AM
Pacific Fc vs Halifax Wanderers is 6,000km one way...in a straight line.

I did it on my motorcycle for CPL matches...total trip was 14,000 km....FFS.

OgtheDim
09-21-2019, 11:05 AM
That and almost all of the Russian league is within Europe. Its like having a league between here and Montreal with a few teams in Michigan & 1 in Manitoba.

(that one team way out East lasted 1 season - 2 wins)

rydermike
09-21-2019, 02:35 PM
That and almost all of the Russian league is within Europe. Its like having a league between here and Montreal with a few teams in Michigan & 1 in Manitoba.

(that one team way out East lasted 1 season - 2 wins)

True, the first division is all concentrated in the European section, but that team, back in the second division, still has some major travel on a regular basis

https://i.imgur.com/i3J6x7r.png

notthesun
09-22-2019, 10:02 PM
Sigh. Red Bulls and Seattle both win and now we're in 6th.

Mikmacdo
09-23-2019, 02:12 AM
Sigh. Red Bulls and Seattle both win and now we're in 6th.
Ya nearly a 0 percent chance to get a home playoff game now. 5th place would be horrible to finish, even worse than 6th due to having to play nyc in round 2.

ensco
09-23-2019, 05:53 AM
We win both remaining games, I think it's pretty likely we are 4th. Although beating the Fire next week is a tall order, they have a decent shot if they win out.

I personally don’t think it matters much, I can see pluses and minuses to any of Philly, Atlanta or NYCFC away. Of any of them, I probably like Atlanta the least.

I agree with those who prefer 6th to 5th, I would like the potential shot at the 7 seed in the semis.

OgtheDim
09-23-2019, 06:08 AM
3 weeks ago we dominate NYC in their house & now its a horrible fate.

Back in early August, we would have bitten off our hands to be in the playoffs & now not getting 4th is a disappointment.

Playoffs is a one game and done thing this league hasn't experienced before. There will be 13 days between the last league game & the first round. Lots of time to rest. Within 4 days of the first round kickoffs, there will only be 4 teams left. This is like the 2nd week of the NCAA BB tournament - 16 stories with hope and then suddenly, only 4.

The days of the playoff grind is done.

Within 3 seasons, the thinking of playoffs is going to change from "need a good seed" to "get in with momentum & see". Its a fundamentally different set of circumstances. You want to be there but this will all be so quick.

Ulitmately, this will change how teams are built - road warrior mentality & home team fortress mentality are going to become prevalent.

Bushmancan
09-23-2019, 06:54 AM
We win both remaining games, I think it's pretty likely we are 4th. Although beating the Fire next week is a tall order, they have a decent shot if they win out..

This is why is was so pissed at the Houston game.... (we would also be on a 10 game undefeated run) so..... I think I have this right!!

If we win out we are guaranteed at least 5th and possibly 4th as pointed out above.

Remember - DC United go to Red Bulls next week. (One team will lose or they tie)

If we win out and they tie and both win their last game TFC 52pts, DC 52 pts, NYRB 51pts - We are Fourth/Fifth (possibly 4th - Tied with DC, Would be tied with DC for Wins (14), GD will be very close, GF we will be way ahead)

If we win out and Red Bulls win out - NYRB 53, TFC 52, DC 51 - We are Fifth

If we win out and DC win out - We are Fifth

If we win out and Red Bulls/ DC tie and both lose - We are Fourth

We can still lose one game and possibly get fifth if DC or Red Bulls lose both.

THE KEY WILL BE TO WIN OUT! PLAYOFFS START NEXT WEEK THEN.

MLS PlayOff Tie Breaker

1. Total number of wins. -
2. Goal Differential (GD)
3. Goals For (GF)
4. Fewest Disciplinary Points*
5. Away Goals Differential
6. Away Goal For
7. Home Goals Differential
8. Home Goal For
9. Coin Toss (tie of two clubs) or Drawing of Lots (tie of three or more clubs)

Mikmacdo
09-23-2019, 07:59 AM
3 weeks ago we dominate NYC in their house & now its a horrible fate.

Back in early August, we would have bitten off our hands to be in the playoffs & now not getting 4th is a disappointment.

Playoffs is a one game and done thing this league hasn't experienced before. There will be 13 days between the last league game & the first round. Lots of time to rest. Within 4 days of the first round kickoffs, there will only be 4 teams left. This is like the 2nd week of the NCAA BB tournament - 16 stories with hope and then suddenly, only 4.

The days of the playoff grind is done.

Within 3 seasons, the thinking of playoffs is going to change from "need a good seed" to "get in with momentum & see". Its a fundamentally different set of circumstances. You want to be there but this will all be so quick.

Ulitmately, this will change how teams are built - road warrior mentality & home team fortress mentality are going to become prevalent.

Nyc was missing 3 or 4 starters.

OgtheDim
09-23-2019, 09:12 AM
Nyc was missing 3 or 4 starters.

And LAFC was missing 1 while we were missing 1 as well.

NYC is a good team, but by the time you get to only 8 teams left in the league, they all are.

Ultra & Proud
09-23-2019, 09:40 AM
Ya nearly a 0 percent chance to get a home playoff game now. 5th place would be horrible to finish, even worse than 6th due to having to play nyc in round 2.
Got to go through them at some point. I am not overly worried about any east teams at this point. All have issues and if, big if, we can match the intensity of the LAFC match then we can handle them all on in their places.

OgtheDim
09-24-2019, 07:13 PM
League suspending the Iron Front flag ban

https://twitter.com/JeffreyCarlisle/status/1176647507100594176

ensco
09-26-2019, 06:53 AM
This will make you smile

https://twitter.com/mlsist/status/1177067453849001984?s=21

Areathrasher
09-27-2019, 01:43 PM
Summer salary update out

http://mlsplayers.org/resources/salary-guide

Benezet 600k
Gallardo 306k
Omar 1.1M

portu
09-27-2019, 02:42 PM
Summer salary update out

http://mlsplayers.org/resources/salary-guide

Benezet 600k
Gallardo 306k
Omar 1.1M

Omar on 1.1M. Wow.

portu
09-27-2019, 02:44 PM
Jesus just hate to read our compensation. Jozy 6.3m. Bono 350k. Ciman 400k. Gonzalez 1.1m. Bradley 6.5m. Zavaleta 300k.

benito
09-27-2019, 02:45 PM
Zlatan Ibrahimovic remains highest paid MLS player, Toronto has biggest payroll

https://www.espn.com/soccer/major-league-soccer/story/3952794/zlatan-ibrahimovic-remains-highest-paid-mls-player-toronto-has-biggest-payroll

Oldtimer
09-27-2019, 03:11 PM
Zavaleta $300k :jaw:

Anyone who says TFC ought to win because they are the highest-spending need to look at where the spending is.

OgtheDim
09-27-2019, 03:23 PM
Zavaleta $300k :jaw:.

This post really should be moved by a moderator to the Tim Bez thread ;)

Mikmacdo
09-27-2019, 03:25 PM
Jesus just hate to read our compensation. Jozy 6.3m. Bono 350k. Ciman 400k. Gonzalez 1.1m. Bradley 6.5m. Zavaleta 300k.Omar has been worth the 1.1, the rest can go.

Oldtimer
09-27-2019, 03:26 PM
This post really should be moved by a moderator to the Ali Curtis thread ;)

We should have a full evaluation of him at season end, for sure.

OgtheDim
09-27-2019, 03:28 PM
Any positives?

Oldtimer
09-27-2019, 03:32 PM
If I were a Whitecaps fan, I'd be pretty upset. They promised to do something with the Alphonso Davies money, yet they are the lowest spending team in the league.

As bad as he was, at least Mo Johnson turned Mo Edu into grass at BMO Field.

notthesun
09-27-2019, 03:34 PM
Omar on 1.1M. Wow.

He's worth that.

ag futbol
09-27-2019, 03:43 PM
Wow, that’s a lot of money for backup CB’s... Zavaleta, Ciman, and Moor are all at $300+

Outside of that, this league clearly has its salary structure and priorities wrong if Griffin Dorsey is going to get over 130k+ and you’re going to pay guys with actual potential to be blue chip half that.

ag futbol
09-27-2019, 03:45 PM
If I were a Whitecaps fan, I'd be pretty upset. They promised to do something with the Alphonso Davies money, yet they are the lowest spending team in the league.

It was a nice story. But really, for the growth in their business they would have needed to spend money on grass anyway.

That was a good piece of business for Mo however

Auzzy
09-27-2019, 04:05 PM
We should have a full evaluation of him at season end, for sure.

OgtheDim edited his post that you're quoting: Zavaleta was re-signed in Jan 2018, i.e. Bez era.

jabbronies
09-27-2019, 04:48 PM
Wow, that’s a lot of money for backup CB’s... Zavaleta, Ciman, and Moor are all at $300+

Outside of that, this league clearly has its salary structure and priorities wrong if Griffin Dorsey is going to get over 130k+ and you’re going to pay guys with actual potential to be blue chip half that.

Moor was on that money when he was a starter and he was the main guy back there. Now that he isn't that should be corrected.
Ciman was Moors temp replacement - that number should be corrected
Zavaleta is a mistake.

Areathrasher
09-27-2019, 06:10 PM
I think all three summer signings are decent value.

OgtheDim
09-27-2019, 07:13 PM
Rollins says this is worth a listen.

Justin Morrow on a podcast run by Feilhaber & Sal Zizzo.

https://wavve.link/BSThePodcast

J-Mo joins the gang to talk about the early dark days in SJ, the dysfunctional family that worked in Toronto and ranks the best DPs in Toronto FC history.

YMMV but sounds intriguing. Its on Spotify so I'm going to download to listen while I'm on the road.

MightyDM
09-27-2019, 10:32 PM

Mo Johnson turned Mo Edu into cash. Tom Anselmi turned the cash into grass.

MightyDM
09-27-2019, 10:33 PM

Whats Shaff on?

MightyDM
09-27-2019, 10:50 PM
Whats Shaff on?

Found the answer - less than half Dorsey.

I have no axe to grind against Dorsey but he might never see the field again, while Shaff is a talent to mould for the present and the future. Symptomatic of TFC's management's blind spot about Canadians. Examples too numerous to mention but Ben Spencer is another - players who get given more of a chance to prove themselves than their talent would justify (American) and less (Canadian)

notthesun
09-27-2019, 11:22 PM
Found the answer - less than half Dorsey.

I have no axe to grind against Dorsey but he might never see the field again, while Shaff is a talent to mould for the present and the future. Symptomatic of TFC's management's blind spot about Canadians. Examples too numerous to mention but Ben Spencer is another - players who get given more of a chance to prove themselves than their talent would justify (American) and less (Canadian)

I don't understand what you're suggesting here - Shaffelburg has played way more meaningful minutes than Dorsey. If you're talking about their difference in salary that's purely because Dorsey signed a Generation Adidas deal. That has nothing to do with TFC. I don't disagree with your point in general, we have seemed to ignore domestic academy players at times in favor of less exciting American college players, but this isn't an example of that.

ag futbol
09-28-2019, 07:29 AM
Overall I look at that salary list and think “not bad”. That said, there’s going to be plenty of housekeeping necessary in the off season.

Lots of opportunities to cut the fat here. Also probably some players that will require a raise. Endoh, Laryea, and Shaffelburg in particular. Those contracts are too cheap but good on TFC for getting them. MLS minimum should be 100+, at the very least.

rydermike
09-28-2019, 08:28 AM
Full salaries, so you don't have to visit the link multiple times
https://i.imgur.com/KcvxULW.png

rydermike
09-28-2019, 08:32 AM
Top 10 salaries in the league. We have 3 of top 7
https://i.imgur.com/awIFoKJ.png

ensco
09-28-2019, 08:42 AM

Bradley is ridiculous of course.

This table is the reality of course but doesn’t reflect the fact that his commercial deal never reflected reality.

$36M for him ($46M including transfer) was at least 2-3x his value when he was signed. He was on around $1M a year at Roma, even when adjusting for taxes etc.... I mean wow.

I posted in 2014 that, even if I had to pay him $36M, I would have paid him $8M a year for his first three years, and $4M a year for his last 3 years.

There may be only 5 DMs on earth that are Bradley's age earning $6M or more, and the other 4 are guys at Barca, Man City, or Real Madrid, like Fernandinho.

Even with the title, the leadership, and everything else, Bradley's contract is a hard deal to defend. But it wasn’t my money, so I was and am thrilled!

Richard
09-28-2019, 09:00 AM
We will need to cut Zavelata and Ciman to keep Mavinga around.

Bradley is more than likely not returning. We will need to blend in younger midfielders to eventually replace him, or go out and get a solid DM in the 2-3M range like Poz.

portu
09-28-2019, 09:09 AM
There's going to be an incredible amount of turnover this off-season. They better have guys lined up and ready this time or else this team is fucked again.

Auzzy
09-28-2019, 09:31 AM
There's going to be an incredible amount of turnover this off-season. They better have guys lined up and ready this time or else this team is fucked again.

The related problem: I'm not sure about the details, but many of the TFC players are still under contract for next season. So despite them needing to do something to improve, they're also hamstrung.

OgtheDim
09-28-2019, 09:47 AM
The related problem: I'm not sure about the details, but many of the TFC players are still under contract for next season. So despite them needing to do something to improve, they're also hamstrung.

I'm wondering if the Bono & Zav deals done early 2018 were 2 year or 3 year. If they were 3, Bez wasn't thinking straight. You can not guarantee young players with career years 300K for 3 years - that's just not smart.

When it comes to Bradley, his deal is ginormous & all Tim L. But his buy is what propelled this team to be able to get Jozy, to get Seba, to get through the 2016 defeat, to win in 2017 & to get close in 2018 CCL. Without him, none of that is likely possible - a big spend but the return to MLSE was pretty good (as these things go).

In the future, other teams will offer him a DP deal that we could afford if we so choose. i.e. If he's going, its because the team is choosing not to spend on him as a DP what the market will provide for him as a DP. Can't see him going on TAM as we have 4 players on TAM deals & I struggle to think of where we would be getting more for 2020, especially with us out of CCL - maybe there is TAM for Leagues Cup but it can't be that much.

OgtheDim
09-28-2019, 10:08 AM
On another note, people who complain about goal keeping howlers in MLS & think it doesn't happen at higher leagues should look at what happened to Sheffield United & Tottenham today - a straight miff & a guy trying to do a drag back 1 yard out from his own goal line.

Oldtimer
09-28-2019, 10:28 AM
https://i.imgur.com/awIFoKJ.png

This is why people who say TFC should be winning because they spend the most are looking at it too superficially. Josef Martinez is paid half of what Jozy gets, yet he has played 18 matches and gotten 15 goals to date. Jozy has played 11 matches and has gotten 7 goals. Obviously Martinez is both a better goal scorer and a better deal.

Red CB Toronto
09-28-2019, 12:09 PM
So are the Reds going to end up in League Cup?

I'm wondering if the Bono & Zav deals done early 2018 were 2 year or 3 year. If they were 3, Bez wasn't thinking straight. You can not guarantee young players with career years 300K for 3 years - that's just not smart.

When it comes to Bradley, his deal is ginormous & all Tim L. But his buy is what propelled this team to be able to get Jozy, to get Seba, to get through the 2016 defeat, to win in 2017 & to get close in 2018 CCL. Without him, none of that is likely possible - a big spend but the return to MLSE was pretty good (as these things go).

In the future, other teams will offer him a DP deal that we could afford if we so choose. i.e. If he's going, its because the team is choosing not to spend on him as a DP what the market will provide for him as a DP. Can't see him going on TAM as we have 4 players on TAM deals & I struggle to think of where we would be getting more for 2020, especially with us out of CCL - maybe there is TAM for Leagues Cup but it can't be that much.

ensco
09-28-2019, 12:51 PM
Rollins says this is worth a listen.

Justin Morrow on a podcast run by Feilhaber & Sal Zizzo.

https://wavve.link/BSThePodcast

YMMV but sounds intriguing. Its on Spotify so I'm going to download to listen while I'm on the road.

This was excellent. Thanks for heads up.

OgtheDim
09-28-2019, 01:51 PM
So are the Reds going to end up in League Cup?

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/07/18/leagues-cup-expands-16-teams-2020-new-qualification-format

Top 4 teams in the East not in CCL. Atlanta is in due to the US Open & somebody is going to win the East conference & get in CCL. So, if we finish anywhere 6 and above, we are in. Unless things change, MLS teams host the first round.

Mexican teams took this a bit more seriously then people thought they would because there was a bit of coin for winning the thing. The teams who qualify for them are higher up their ladder then the MLS teams. MLS/LigaMx are thinking this might become like the Europa League.

Right now, MLS teams would be

Philly
DCU
TFC
NYRB

Minnesota
LAG
Seattle
RSL

Of course, if one of those US based teams wins MLS Cup, the next down team gets in.

Red CB Toronto
09-28-2019, 02:43 PM
From what I gather all the games are played at the MLS team outside of a neutral side final, which this year was played in Vegas. I assume the first round ticket will most likely be replacing the Champions league one in our season ticket packages.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/07/18/leagues-cup-expands-16-teams-2020-new-qualification-format

Top 4 teams in the East not in CCL. Atlanta is in due to the US Open & somebody is going to win the East conference & get in CCL. So, if we finish anywhere 6 and above, we are in. Unless things change, MLS teams host the first round.

Mexican teams took this a bit more seriously then people thought they would because there was a bit of coin for winning the thing. The teams who qualify for them are higher up their ladder then the MLS teams. MLS/LigaMx are thinking this might become like the Europa League.

Right now, MLS teams would be

Philly
DCU
TFC
NYRB

Minnesota
LAG
Seattle
RSL

Of course, if one of those US based teams wins MLS Cup, the next down team gets in.

rydermike
09-28-2019, 08:54 PM
Mexico is doubling up their best teams aren't they? Sending the Apertura and Clausera champions to the Champions League and Leagues Cup right? Meanwhile MLS sends only those who don't make Champions League

Defoe
09-28-2019, 10:47 PM
Full salaries, so you don't have to visit the link multiple times
https://i.imgur.com/KcvxULW.png

Damn, Laryea only makes 56 k. That must be a bit tight living downtown Toronto... hopefully they pay for his housing. He is deserving of a big raise though that's for sure

613reppingTFC
09-29-2019, 06:42 AM
^^ was thinking the exact same thing, what a steal to have laryea on only 56k and he deserves so much more for all he has brought to the club this season. Agreed with the bump in shaff and endoh salary as well they deserve it

rydermike
09-29-2019, 08:43 AM
Damn, Laryea only makes 56 k. That must be a bit tight living downtown Toronto... hopefully they pay for his housing. He is deserving of a big raise though that's for sure
He's 24 and from Toronto, he could be living at home with his parents

OgtheDim
09-29-2019, 09:57 AM
He's 24 and from Toronto, he could be living at home with his parents

Heck, in this town, he could be 35 and still living at home with his parents.

JoesphNdo
09-29-2019, 10:23 AM
Don't forget that's 75k CAD. Now you're not living lavishly with 6 sports cars with that wage but even in Toronto 75,000 is not doing all that poorly, you certainly would only be living at home by choice on that money. And it assumes the club doesn't help with housing at all which I actually don't know, are they allowed do that beyond the cap hit? I know MLSE owns a lot of real estate so I wonder if they give sweetheart rent deals to some of their lesser paid players

ag futbol
09-29-2019, 12:25 PM
Heck, in this town, he could be 35 and still living at home with his parents.
Ah, beat me to it, lol

ag futbol
09-29-2019, 12:46 PM
Don't forget that's 75k CAD. Now you're not living lavishly with 6 sports cars with that wage but even in Toronto 75,000 is not doing all that poorly, you certainly would only be living at home by choice on that money. And it assumes the club doesn't help with housing at all which I actually don't know, are they allowed do that beyond the cap hit? I know MLSE owns a lot of real estate so I wonder if they give sweetheart rent deals to some of their lesser paid players
My understanding is they are not beyond temp accommodations in support of someone who recently transferred in. But who knows? There has to be some sort of solution here for guys living in expensive markets.

$75k is really not much of a draw for the A-type personalities who usually have what it takes to compete in pro sports. These people have elevated demands vs. the average person. I think the expectation would be to secure a higher paying contract in the near term or know you’ll be moving on to a new career choice shortly. As an extreme example, to paraphrase Santino Quaranta when he retired early from MLS: “this $200k a year is cute but now it’s time to go find a real job that actually pays”

Personally, I think $100k a year should be the min. Or something like $75k plus car and accommodation. The last thing I want is someone on the team spending their energy getting to practice on the bus or commuting from far away to save a few bucks. We should take that out of the equation and allow them to put as much of their effort on the field as possible.

But I don’t mean to sound overly negative. We’re far ahead of where we used to be.

notthesun
09-29-2019, 02:34 PM

They're almost definitely 2+1 deals as most multi-year MLS contracts are (for non-DP players). So we should be able to decline Zavaleta's option. I'm less sure what to do about Bono.

rydermike
09-29-2019, 08:00 PM
They're almost definitely 2+1 deals as most multi-year MLS contracts are (for non-DP players). So we should be able to decline Zavaleta's option. I'm less sure what to do about Bono.

Bono, I could see them picking up the option an trading him. Despite his faults, he is a serviceable MLS keeper, and as an American, could definitely be appealing to teams in the league in need of an upgrade. His salary is too high for a second-choice keeper.

stevep
09-29-2019, 09:02 PM
Bono, I could see them picking up the option an trading him. Despite his faults, he is a serviceable MLS keeper, and as an American, could definitely be appealing to teams in the league in need of an upgrade. His salary is too high for a second-choice keeper.

its so funny, the guys a good shot blocker but for the life of him he cannot distribute the ball to his own team. i counted 3 kicks he shot either out of bounds or right to chicago

Initial B
09-29-2019, 09:32 PM
I don't suppose anyone saw the end of the LAG-VAN match, but LA coughed up a breakaway winner deep in stoppage time. It brought me joy to see Zlatan's pissed-off face after that went in - he looked like he was absolutely seething inside.

ag futbol
09-30-2019, 10:17 AM
I don't suppose anyone saw the end of the LAG-VAN match, but LA coughed up a breakaway winner deep in stoppage time. It brought me joy to see Zlatan's pissed-off face after that went in - he looked like he was absolutely seething inside.
That was an entertaining match. LA is as bad defensively as they are good on attack. First round exit sounds about right.

Mark TFC
09-30-2019, 11:19 AM

Oh, I saw the match...

That 4-3 result cost me a potential $1400; I had Minnesota and LAFC to tie, Salt Lake to win, Sounders to win, Galaxy and Vancouver to tie, and Man U and Arsenal to tie today.

Mark TFC
09-30-2019, 05:00 PM
Correction: That match DID cost me $1400. I hate Vancouver, I hate the LA Galaxy even more.

OgtheDim
10-03-2019, 07:48 PM
So there are reports Monterrey want Alymeda from SJE and will trigger a $4 million clause to get him after Sunday, no matter whether SJE get into the playoffs or not.

Except

there is no such clause.

OgtheDim
10-08-2019, 01:51 PM
Schweinsteiger retires

Rumours Klinsmann was offered the Fire job & turned it down.

rydermike
10-08-2019, 06:13 PM
Jozy Altidore pulls out of the USA squad due to the injury from last game. Bad news, but maybe good news? He won't injure it further it by playing and now has a couple weeks to heal before the playoffs, but of course it could be more serious and he's out of the playoffs anyways

Bushmancan
10-08-2019, 06:58 PM
Jozy Altidore pulls out of the USA squad due to the injury from last game. Bad news, but maybe good news? He won't injure it further it by playing and now has a couple weeks to heal before the playoffs, but of course it could be more serious and he's out of the playoffs anyways

I am sure this will trigger comments but it was a cynical/reckless/desperate (whatever you want to call it) tackle by no 4. Mensah, watch the replay he drags hits rear foot into Jozy's planted foot. If it were reversed VAR probably would have given our 14th penalty of the year.

Edit- btw it was a great shot block but no regard for the follow through and after impact, slid right through Jozy

barticusz
10-08-2019, 10:59 PM
I am sure this will trigger comments but it was a cynical/reckless/desperate (whatever you want to call it) tackle by no 4. Mensah, watch the replay he drags hits rear foot into Jozy's planted foot. If it were reversed VAR probably would have given our 14th penalty of the year.

Totally agree. It was a terrible challenge and warranted review or a card. Here' hoping Jozy can come in and help us. We do have the benefit of being at home too so if he were to miss the first playoff game (assuming we have better odds of winning with him at home than away), he gets another few days to rest before NYCFC.

Oldtimer
10-09-2019, 07:46 AM
Interesting that the Chicago Fire are giving all their Day One SSH free seasons tickets next year. Now that's only 68 people, and Day One is 1997, but it's a nice thing to see them doing this.

DinamoTFC
10-09-2019, 11:05 AM
Interesting that the Chicago Fire are giving all their Day One SSH free seasons tickets next year. Now that's only 68 people, and Day One is 1997, but it's a nice thing to see them doing this.

I hope this market bounces back, too big of one to neglect.

Redcoe15
10-09-2019, 04:03 PM
I hope this market bounces back, too big of one to neglect.
Playing in the city at Soldier Field couldn't hurt. Road trips should be a lot easier for the visiting fans.

DinamoTFC
10-09-2019, 06:28 PM
Playing in the city at Soldier Field couldn't hurt. Road trips should be a lot easier for the visiting fans.

Looking forward to it next year

Oldtimer
10-11-2019, 01:36 PM
Top 10 coaches available for teams replacing their coaches.

I wouldn't want any of them.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/10/10/top-10-coaching-candidates-mls-vacancies

Ultra & Proud
10-11-2019, 02:24 PM
Top 10 coaches available for teams replacing their coaches.

I wouldn't want any of them.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/10/10/top-10-coaching-candidates-mls-vacancies
Me neither really but judging by our FO and their connections, I wouldn't be surprised to see Wolyniec eventually.

OgtheDim
10-11-2019, 03:07 PM
Wolyniec is the "in case of us being crap, break glass" hammer for NYRB.

ensco
10-11-2019, 10:07 PM
I have no idea how Rudi Garcia wound up on that list, but as someone who pays a bit of attention to Marseille: (i) there is no way Garcia is coming to MLS, his pedigree is way too strong, and (ii) I would take him in a flash, if by some crazy circumstance point (i) isn’t true.

General Woolfe
10-13-2019, 02:47 PM
Any updates on Jozy's injury? TFC's been awfully quiet on the subject, which i'm not sure is a good or bad thing. Our playoff hopes hinge on him being fit, so it hard to get excited without knowing anything? Even the nature of the injury...

DinamoTFC
10-13-2019, 06:16 PM
Doesn't sound serious. Both jozy himself and Vanney said they expect him to be ready for playoffs

rydermike
10-14-2019, 04:24 PM
Pozuelo is one of the three finalists up for MLS Newcomer of the Year award. The other two finalists are Carles Gil (NE Revs) and Heber (NYCFC)

notthesun
10-14-2019, 11:32 PM
Pozuelo is one of the three finalists up for MLS Newcomer of the Year award. The other two finalists are Carles Gil (NE Revs) and Heber (NYCFC)

He won't win but nice for him to get some recognition. Probably would've had a better shot had Jozy been healthier.

notthesun
10-15-2019, 08:50 PM
Canada wins 2-0 against the U.S. at BMO, the first Canadian victory over the U.S. in 34 years. Osorio had an assist on Cavallini's late clincher, Laryea started and did well, and Fraser came off the bench and filled in for Kaye after an injury and he was good too, played a quick pass to Arfield before the first goal.

Bradley was one of the better U.S. players to my eye, but we did catch him and force a turnover leading to the first goal.

rydermike
10-15-2019, 09:01 PM
Canada wins 2-0 against the U.S. at BMO, the first Canadian victory over the U.S. in 34 years. Osorio had an assist on Cavallini's late clincher, Laryea started and did well, and Fraser came off the bench and filled in for Kaye after an injury and he was good too, played a quick pass to Arfield before the first goal.

Bradley was one of the better U.S. players to my eye, but we did catch him and force a turnover leading to the first goal.

Solid performance. The American commentators on ESPN were continuously complimenting Canada all game for dominating as well as ripping the Americans. Now, we need a win or draw next month in Orlando to qualify for the Semis. If we lose against the US, we'll probably be eliminated on goal difference, because the US plays Cuba in the final group match.

Can't believe we were on a 34-year winless run (17 games). Figured we would've won a couple in that long.

DinamoTFC
10-15-2019, 11:20 PM
That was a heck of an exciting game. Much better than I expected even without the result.

notthesun
10-15-2019, 11:49 PM
Highlights for anyone who missed it:

https://twitter.com/CanadaSoccerEN/status/1184299542570848258

Defoe
10-16-2019, 01:00 AM
Huge win for FIFA Rankings. That should get us in in the top 6 ahead of El Salvador for the hex, at least for now

ensco
10-16-2019, 07:56 AM
https://twitter.com/nycfirm/status/1184316231370858497?s=21

Gazza
10-16-2019, 09:40 AM

Fraser surprised me. I thought it would be quite the drop off when Kaye left. Laryea was one of the MOTM for me. I can't agree with Bradley. I thought he was brutal. We pressured him well and caused him to turn the ball over quite a bit. All in all, a great win.

rydermike
10-16-2019, 10:20 AM
Fraser surprised me. I thought it would be quite the drop off when Kaye left. Laryea was one of the MOTM for me. I can't agree with Bradley. I thought he was brutal. We pressured him well and caused him to turn the ball over quite a bit. All in all, a great win.

Laryea I wasn't too impressed with. Had some moments, including a good run that almost led to a goal, but nothing overall that made him seem to jump out at me. He was lucky not to get a yellow, where he was trying to get in the face of the American, who got angry at him for going down on a tackle and staying down exaggerating an injury. Good thing Borjan and other held him back. I must admit I am getting a bit tired of his going down easy as well, although that might be what is influencing my opinion of him. He needs to develop a consistent shot, feel like once he gets into the box all his work disappears and defenders break him down, knowing he's going to pass. He needs the Endoh eye for goal, it would open up the options for him - shot, dribble, or pass.

Fraser I liked his performance because I didn't really notice him, to me meaning that while there was nothing spectacular, he made no real errors. Just a solid all around performance, which is what is needed for his position. Osorio as well. I feel Osorio plays a more and better defensive game when he plays for Canada, I guess it's because of the presence of other guys like David and Davies take a larger role in the offense. Although maybe that's just because I'm constantly focusing on those two on the offensive end(as well as the commentators) that Oso slips under my radar, but I did notice a few nice interceptions and defensive stops by him.

Granted I did stream this game on my phone, so at times I struggled to notice some things/who they were because my screen was so small. Soccer Canada needs to get these games back on TSN. The OneSoccer app is not going to help grow the sport.

ag futbol
10-16-2019, 10:42 AM
Honestly, I appreciate the intensity. Too many nice guys on our teams historically that were never bothered enough by losing. Down 3-0 at half time against Honduras in a critical match to qualify for the hex, Kevin McKenna in the half time interview starts talking as if the game is over. We go on to lose 8-1.

Kaye, Laryea, and Cavallini all Play with edge and will do us well in Concacaf. They know how to get under other players skin without completely losing the plot. More importantly, they seem to take losing personally.

I had Laryea as a top 3 performer for Canada easily. He made a guy who just completed a $73 million dollar transfer look completely anonymous and made some good hard runs down the flank.

Defoe
10-16-2019, 06:53 PM
Yes, getting Laryea makes up for losing Kaye. I think Laryea should be a come back player of the year nominee... he’s an all star RB in the making

OgtheDim
10-16-2019, 07:40 PM
The place was loud both in the South and on the west side (couldn't hear the east). Vancouver peeps complaining about the crowd not realising that a 18K crowd in the national stadium makes the CSA more money then 28K in Vancouver.

And the clap was....heartwarming.

Mikmacdo
10-16-2019, 09:18 PM
Telfer with 2 goals tonight. I look forward to seeing him back at tfc next season.

ag futbol
10-16-2019, 09:56 PM
The place was loud both in the South and on the west side (couldn't hear the east). Vancouver peeps complaining about the crowd not realising that a 18K crowd in the national stadium makes the CSA more money then 28K in Vancouver.

And the clap was....heartwarming.
The bitching about the attendance from Vancouver is a joke. The game was on Tuesday night after the thanksgiving holiday. People are usually trying to get things in order with their lives and not looking to attend a soccer game. It’s a tough sell even if the opponent is the US.

And really, the players are driving this as much as anything. Nobody wants to travel a few extra thousand KM’s to play on a turf field vs play on a grass field in front of friends and family (since the team has more players with GTA roots than anywhere else).

They’ll get their games I’m sure but that number is always going to be less than optimal until the field turns to grass and we can start to pay for charter flights for our guys to reduce travel fatigue

OgtheDim
10-16-2019, 10:51 PM
Sacramento team to be announced on Monday - article on MLS about "a big announcement"

Blindside16
10-17-2019, 01:03 AM
Here is a little something to get everyone back into the playoff mood.

The second leg still goes down as the best sporting event I have ever witnessed live

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/10/16/instant-classique-toronto-vs-montreal-playoff-moments?autoplay=true

barticusz
10-17-2019, 08:42 AM
Is Bmo sold out for Saturday?

Oldtimer
10-17-2019, 10:24 AM

Not yet. Still some non-resale tickets available, including a few in the south end.

Captain
10-17-2019, 10:33 AM
Not yet. Still some non-resale tickets available, including a few in the south end.

Wow! Two years ago there was no way there would be any tickets left unsold.

JT Red127
10-17-2019, 10:34 AM

Lots of non resale still available...as Oldtimer said there are more than a few (70?) in the south end. Looks like half of 111 is available for some reason. After that mostly in the upper reaches of the east deck and upper west corners.

Oldtimer
10-17-2019, 11:05 AM
Lots of non resale still available...as Oldtimer said there are more than a few (70?) in the south end. Looks like half of 111 is available for some reason. After that mostly in the upper reaches of the east deck and upper west corners.

I think what we're seeing is that many scalpers didn't execute their option to buy playoff tickets. 111 especially has a lot of scalped tickets. I can't say it was a bad "business" decision for them, there has been very little buzz about the team in the media this time around, and despite Rooney, DC isn't the same draw that Montreal is. There may be some buzz if the team does well in the playoffs, but then those will most likely be away games.

OgtheDim
10-17-2019, 05:25 PM
Play in game against Philly in 2016 wasn't sold out either.

ensco
10-17-2019, 07:23 PM

The second leg still goes down as the best sporting event I have ever witnessed live

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/10/16/instant-classique-toronto-vs-montreal-playoff-moments?autoplay=true

It's being rebroadcast right now on TSN4.

An excellent use of time :stogey:

MightyDM
10-17-2019, 09:02 PM

OMG yes. And I have seen amazing sporting moments - Lemieux from Gretzky in Hamilton, and the Jays v Atlanta and Philly, the Bruins in 1979 and two Olympics, including Canada in Sochi . Nothing Nothing Nothing comes close to that night of the second leg. Watching it on TSN right now. Fantastic. The suspense. Drama. Hagglund . Cheyrou.

So sad that we don’t get to see two legs any more. What a moment.

MightyDM
10-17-2019, 09:06 PM
I think what we're seeing is that many scalpers didn't execute their option to buy playoff tickets. 111 especially has a lot of scalped tickets. I can't say it was a bad "business" decision for them, there has been very little buzz about the team in the media this time around, and despite Rooney, DC isn't the same draw that Montreal is. There may be some buzz if the team does well in the playoffs, but then those will most likely be away games.

Their loss

It’s going to be amazing. Not 2016 amazing. But amazing. We are back. Incredible plot lines. Can we score without Jozy? Can Bradley bounce back fro a disastrous loss? Can Laryea and Oso rebuild mental resources after a historic win? Will I be able to still get into Shoeless at 4???

MightyDM
10-17-2019, 09:08 PM
It's being rebroadcast right now on TSN4.

An excellent use of time :stogey:

Hehehehhe

OgtheDim
10-17-2019, 10:21 PM
Off season dates announced

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/10/17/2019-mls-offseason-calendar

Areathrasher
10-18-2019, 12:17 PM
The Athletic has an interview with Bradley. Kloke asked him straight up if he'd sign a TAM deal.

His answer...."Absolutely"

Ben - D.O.W.
10-18-2019, 12:27 PM
The Athletic has an interview with Bradley. Kloke asked him straight up if he'd sign a TAM deal.

Wow. I mean I was hopeful, but did not expect him to be so open about it.

TFC1154ever
10-18-2019, 12:36 PM

Wow, that’s great to hear. My thought is that they are waiting till the end of the year to finalize it. Remember, if TFC win the MLS Cup, his option year gets automatically renewed (at 6.5 million).

rydermike
10-19-2019, 01:17 PM
Zlatan hints at Napoli move: 'With me, San Paolo would always be full'
https://www.thescore.com/mls/news/1858155

Kayaker
10-19-2019, 01:34 PM
Yellow card accumulation for the playoffs (https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/10/05/how-yellow-card-accumulation-works-mls-cup-playoffs)

The Atalanta/NE game is interesting..... assuming that Atlanta goes on to the next round. Any yellow card given to Martinez, LGP, or larentowicz will mean that they are suspended for the conference finals

barticusz
10-19-2019, 09:20 PM
I know I’m getting ahead of myself but if we wanted to host MLS cup this year we need Portland to make it out in the west.

James17930
10-19-2019, 10:36 PM
I know I’m getting ahead of myself but if we wanted to host MLS cup this year we need Portland to make it out in the west.

Up the Timbers!

benito
10-19-2019, 10:37 PM
The weather is horrible in the timbers/rsl match. Snowing and raining in the second half. It’s on Tsn4.

TFC1154ever
10-19-2019, 11:18 PM
No MLS Cup in Toronto. Only chance at home game is if the New York Red Bulls and TFC meet in the Conference finals.

James17930
10-20-2019, 12:29 AM
No MLS Cup in Toronto. Only chance at home game is if the New York Red Bulls and TFC meet in the Conference finals.

Up the Red Bulls!

Canary10
10-20-2019, 05:19 AM
Oh well. We all knew if this is going to happen it’ll be more like a Seattle.

notthesun
10-20-2019, 10:22 AM
Simple question for everyone: regardless of what happens Wednesday, do you consider this a successful season?

mauser09
10-20-2019, 10:28 AM

Wait, what if LA Galaxy make it to the MLS Cup? Wouldn't the game be in Toronto since we were 4th in the east and they were 5th in the west?

SPALE
10-20-2019, 11:20 AM
Simple question for everyone: regardless of what happens Wednesday, do you consider this a successful season?

YES!

benito
10-20-2019, 11:37 AM
Wait, what if LA Galaxy make it to the MLS Cup? Wouldn't the game be in Toronto since we were 4th in the east and they were 5th in the west?

I think the teams are ranked by total points rather than their conference seedings. LAG had one more point (51) than TFC (50).