PDA

View Full Version : MLS Playoffs 2018 - Watching From the Other Side of the Street

OgtheDim
11-01-2018, 05:39 AM
As per usual, the hotter streaking team wins.

Portland rested players, Dallas was falling down.

NYC takes advantage of its offence against a team who doesn't do Defensive midfield play very well.

Tonight its LAFC against the very rested RSL & last year's fairy tale vs. this year's fairy tale.

Initial B
11-01-2018, 07:57 AM
I think LAFC pulls through based on Quality alone. Columbus had a hot keeper going into the playoffs, but Steffen isn't as hot as he was then. Rooney has pretty much transformed DCU and I expect him to partner with Acosta effectively enough to bag a couple of goals for the win.

stevep
11-01-2018, 08:52 AM
Thank god we have got the great stadium and atmosphere at BMO field. playing soccer at yankee stadium is a joke. its like watching little kids play soccer.
in little kids soccer there are twenty kids around the ball, no room to do anything. at yankee stadium there are always so many people around the ball because its so small a pitch.

also, thank god for TFC. the dallas portland game was so boring, TFC games are exciting at BMO. only 10,000 in attendance in Dallas last night. how can you have atmosphere when there are only 10,000 people in attendance.

Tunnelred
11-01-2018, 09:09 AM
The attendance at both games was pretty shocking last night, but unfortunately, not surprising. I’m expecting both games to be sold out (or close to) tonight. Both home teams advancing.

Prof
11-01-2018, 01:19 PM
I watched the NYCFC vs. Philadelphia game and all I could think of was how a garbage team like Philadelphia made it to the playoffs and we did not.

glaze
11-01-2018, 07:06 PM
The Dallas attendance was embarrassing, but we didnt sell out our first round games.
There isnt much of a lead up to those first games and they are mid week.
That said, 10,000 is poor.

Defoe
11-01-2018, 10:19 PM
The Dallas attendance was embarrassing, but we didnt sell out our first round games.
There isnt much of a lead up to those first games and they are mid week.
That said, 10,000 is poor.

Watching LAFC and D.C United is like watching teams from a completely different league. Quality soccer, beautiful stadium, and great atmosphere.

The NYCFC game was good. NYCFC looked really, really good... But wow that stadium is an eye sore.

MLS 3.0 teams:

Atlanta United
LA Galaxy
Seattle Sounders
Toronto FC
LAFC
Orlando S.C
D.C United
New York Red Bulls
Portland Timbers
Sportking K.C
Real Salt Lake
Vancouver Whitecaps
Minnesota United

MLS 2.5:

NYCFC (need a stadium)
Philadelphia Union
New England
San Jose
Montreal
Houston Dynamo

MLS 2.0 teams:

These teams are painful to watch in their home stadiums.

Columbus
F.C Dallas
Colorado Rapids
Chicago Fire

I'm not sure how you fix these 4 teams and they really do bring down the league.

tfcfans
11-01-2018, 10:31 PM
After watching the DC v Clbs game --- For everyone who felt that squeezing into the playoffs at 50 points or so, would be seen as a success this season --- Does anyone think the DC United fan tonight feels way better about their season than we do as TFC fans?! they had all sorts of momentum and looked dangerous in the second half of the season especially at home in their new stadium; and just like Atlanta last year who appeared to most to be the "better team" - they are gone on the crapshoot of a penalty kick taking contest ---- losing yesterday or today does not exactly provide much of a great feeling about a "good season" if you last a whole 3/4 days more than everyone else who didn't make the playoffs.....the point is, only 1 or maybe two teams a year will truly feel satisfied at the end of the year; and if every season that we don't at least make the Finals will lead to massive disappointment, you are going to be massively disappointed 95% of the time - No matter how much talent a team may have there is a high degree of luck involved in navigating the playoff gauntlet (injuries, bad calls, simple mistakes, penalties) - the fact that we almost did it twice in a row is incredible.....I doubt anyone in Atlanta will call this season a success if they lose before the Finals (or even in the Finals some would say) - 69 points won't mean much if they don't ultimately win anything.....the standards for being "happy" as a fan in sports are untenable most of the time for most people.....

On that note --- RSL just took the lead against LAFC despite the entire game flowing in the opposite direction....the best teams don't win a lot of the time in a one game sudden death playoff.....game now tied....LAFC fans acting poorly.....

OgtheDim
11-01-2018, 10:49 PM
And LAFC supporters just went too far.

Tunnelred
11-01-2018, 11:54 PM
Tonight’s games have been crazy fun to watch.

Blindside16
11-02-2018, 12:42 AM
And LAFC supporters just went too far.

I wasn't able to watch the game. What happened?

tfcfans
11-02-2018, 04:40 AM
A fluke third goal for RSL wins the game - again, it just shows how a lot of luck is involved in getting to, and winning MLS Cups.....

OgtheDim
11-02-2018, 05:35 AM
I wasn't able to watch the game. What happened?

Throwing beer cups and cups filled with ice at Rimando during the free kick that led to the first LAFC goal. He got hit. Game was stopped for 5 minutes.

OgtheDim
11-02-2018, 06:05 AM
Sunday be an 17 hour soccer day if you want it

https://twitter.com/SoccerInsider/status/1058240899279245317

69Chevy396
11-02-2018, 07:16 AM
Am I the only TFC supporter who will be saddened the day Higuain retires? He is the complete player, as good as any I have seen in MLS.

MightyDM
11-02-2018, 07:54 AM
Am I the only TFC supporter who will be saddened the day Higuain retires? He is the complete player, as good as any I have seen in MLS.

yes, you are.

Prof
11-02-2018, 08:27 AM
After watching the DC v Clbs game --- For everyone who felt that squeezing into the playoffs at 50 points or so, would be seen as a success this season --- Does anyone think the DC United fan tonight feels way better about their season than we do as TFC fans?! they had all sorts of momentum and looked dangerous in the second half of the season especially at home in their new stadium; and just like Atlanta last year who appeared to most to be the "better team" - they are gone on the crapshoot of a penalty kick taking contest ---- losing yesterday or today does not exactly provide much of a great feeling about a "good season" if you last a whole 3/4 days more than everyone else who didn't make the playoffs.....the point is, only 1 or maybe two teams a year will truly feel satisfied at the end of the year; and if every season that we don't at least make the Finals will lead to massive disappointment, you are going to be massively disappointed 95% of the time - No matter how much talent a team may have there is a high degree of luck involved in navigating the playoff gauntlet (injuries, bad calls, simple mistakes, penalties) - the fact that we almost did it twice in a row is incredible.....I doubt anyone in Atlanta will call this season a success if they lose before the Finals (or even in the Finals some would say) - 69 points won't mean much if they don't ultimately win anything.....the standards for being "happy" as a fan in sports are untenable most of the time for most people.....

On that note --- RSL just took the lead against LAFC despite the entire game flowing in the opposite direction....the best teams don't win a lot of the time in a one game sudden death playoff.....game now tied....LAFC fans acting poorly.....

The better team did win though. Very entertaining game, but Columbus outplayed DC.

OgtheDim
11-02-2018, 08:49 AM
Berhalter outcoached Ben Olsen.

Like he has every single other coach in the league at one point or another.

(Ben Olsen outcoached Tata Martino last year)

Auzzy
11-02-2018, 09:16 AM
Rooney did amazing for DC this year, but his PK was saved last night. :facepalm:

Initial B
11-02-2018, 09:17 AM
Well, shows what I know. MLS will MLS. I have to admit, there is something to playoffs that a single table season just can't match.

Still Kicking
11-02-2018, 10:18 AM
It also shows that Columbus has mastered the away game of the single game knockout playoff. DC should have begun with urgency and power, thinking that if you don't crush the Crew in the first 20 minutes they will hang around and find a way.
Startling that during the run of play Hamid looked the better keeper over Steffen, but in penalty kicks Steffen found his groove. I thought that Hamid's face at one point had a "o man, this is slipping away from us" look to it.

magmadragon
11-02-2018, 12:15 PM
Both the games last night were fantastic.

How wild that Rooney, Acosta and Deleon, the clutch players for DC, end up botching it in the shootout? That game was super entertaining.

LAFC fans are trash. Both for throwing it and then devolving into the puto chant when all seemed lost. Also fuck the league for giving LA 10 minutes of extra time. That karate kid kick goal by RSL was wild as well.

I love the playoffs.

Voodooman
11-02-2018, 01:47 PM
Great games yesterday for sure.

The Columbus game, full credit to the Crew on a strong display. Steffen looked a little shaky, but once again in penalties he steps up and makes it count like he has done. Sucks for DeLeon who ends up being a hero then missing his PK. Feel bad, but thats the life of penalties. I know lots of people had DC taking that game.

The LAFC game, yeah we've had some issues ourselves in Toronto with throwing stuff on the field, it sucks to see. Hopefully its a lesson and a little bit of karma that led to Salt Lake advancing. No chance I see them going by Kansas City but good job from them!

ag futbol
11-02-2018, 03:57 PM
League has a tough chore on its hands to allow expression at the games but keep clear of the ugly stuff. Especially when supporters sections are so loosely “controlled” by the supporters themselves. Playoff match draws more non-regulars than normal and it devolves into some bad habits brought from elsewhere.

Honestly, compared to hospitalizing a guy protecting kids with autism at a pre-game march i’d say what happened last night looks pretty tame (not that we should set the bar there, but you get the point).

Just give the core fan base a break, is all i’m saying.

ag futbol
11-02-2018, 04:00 PM
Some of the smaller spend-thrift teams ability to compete is quite impressive. Berhalter is the best coach in the league and he has a good (yet inexpensive) roster behind him.

James17930
11-02-2018, 08:32 PM
Zack Steffan is the best GK I've ever seen at saving penalties.

Before the DC game his all-time stats were 7 saved, 12 allowed:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/zack-steffen/elfmeterstatistik/spieler/221624

And then he stops 2 more against DC. What is that, around a 35-40% success rate? That must be unheard of for a keeper.

Still Kicking
11-03-2018, 07:18 AM
I felt that both Hamid and Steffen were athletic marvels AND total bosses of their back line defenders. Pointing and demanding and controlling in a manner, .....here comes the TFC twist, that Alex Bono does NOT even attempt imho.
Maybe it is a role he can grow into, but the trend towards allowing early goals seem to deflate the team and reduce his authority.

portu
11-03-2018, 09:35 PM
Some of the smaller spend-thrift teams ability to compete is quite impressive. Berhalter is the best coach in the league and he has a good (yet inexpensive) roster behind him.

I think Schmetzer becomes the best coach in the league if he manages to drag this Seattle team to a third straight MLS Cup final.

PizzaEatingYeti
11-04-2018, 04:42 AM

Sadly, I need to say that probably in terms of spending on roster vs results achieved, TFC is the biggest underachiever in the league's existence (if thinking about all the seasons since TFC entered the MLS). Maybe I'm wrong, but even if not, I should be not far from the truth...

JuliquE
11-04-2018, 05:51 AM
Sadly, I need to say that probably in terms of spending on roster vs results achieved, TFC is the biggest underachiever in the league's existence (if thinking about all the seasons since TFC entered the MLS). Maybe I'm wrong, but even if not, I should be not far from the truth...
You say "sadly," but even if I knew this in hindsight, I'd have bitten your hand off had someone offered us the last two and a half years, at our inception.

OgtheDim
11-04-2018, 02:16 PM
Consistent underachievers? Dallas

Never quite grasped the Holy Grail? NYRB & NER

Hard to call us underachievers when we have won stuff that 3 teams that have been around since 1996 have not.

To me, there are 3 teams in this league with more achievements then us.

LAG

DCU

Houston/SJE (the franchise that moved)

There is a big pack below that which includes us of teams with 1-2 good seasons - Fire, SKC, Seattle, Portland, Columbus, Colorado, RSL.

The rest? Either newbies who havn't gotten there or constant underachievers. (Half the league at this point)

(I'm going to ignore the spending on roster canard - its a cap league - your success is dependent upon what you do with those beyond your DP's)

OgtheDim
11-04-2018, 02:29 PM
In the quarter finals starting today

Columbus vs. NYRB

NYRB has been solid all season (thus the supporters shield). After Marsch left, they added a subtle hint of pragmatism to their press. Going to be intersting to see how that works against a team that likes to take the ball out wide and cross it in. CBus defence is so so but their keeper is the best in the East this season. This should be really close but I'm thinking NYRB pulls it out.

NYC vs. Atlanta

NYC looked absolutely horrid - until they trashed Philly for 2 games in a row. Atlanta, without Almiron, can't get the ball to Martinez. Two teams with good offences and so so defences. IF NYC's DM's show up (something they only did post Vierra vs. Philly), then Atlanta is in trouble. I think they might just do this one.

Seattle vs. Portland

Portland rode a decision to rest its players the Sunday before into Dallas and took advantage of a team who's confidence was heading off a cliff. Seattle - they are the complete opposite. This is a derby series - the first since us vs. Montreal in 2016. All the usual understandings of how things should go are out the window. I think Portland outcoaches and out hustles Seattle - Frei will make 1 mistake and that will be enough.

SKC vs. RSL

RSL enjoyed their week off and then went into LAFC and pulled off a minor upset. SKC - quitely building one of the best season's they have ever had. SKC will win this and it won't be close.

magmadragon
11-04-2018, 03:38 PM
Looking forward to the 10 hours of soccer

tfcfans
11-04-2018, 04:46 PM
Nice play CLBS!

Lets just say my list of teams I don’t what to see win includes - NYRB (no double, points record means less with no Cup), Atlanta (simply because they are so damned spoiled), Seattle (2 MLS Cups and three straight appearances makes our failure look worse)....apparently I am petty, and only view the playoffs through the eyes of a TFC fan....:D

Hamilton_Red
11-04-2018, 05:10 PM
Higuain - what a player. I’d love to see Columbus win this thing - it would make me believe in the soccer gods.

tfcfans
11-04-2018, 05:16 PM
Higuain - what a player. I’d love to see Columbus win this thing - it would make me believe in the soccer gods.

I agree on all fronts.....

OgtheDim
11-04-2018, 05:19 PM
The first half was pretty boring but Higuian changed everything. That save by Robles and then that final save by Steffan.

Oh, and Berhalter outcoaches the other team....again.

RealG-TFC
11-04-2018, 05:28 PM
Nice play CLBS!

Lets just say my list of teams I don’t what to see win includes - NYRB (no double, points record means less with no Cup), Atlanta (simply because they are so damned spoiled), Seattle (2 MLS Cups and three straight appearances makes our failure look worse)....apparently I am petty, and only view the playoffs through the eyes of a TFC fan....:D

Yeah I think Columbus winning it is most inoffensive to me. Perhaps Portland too, not a fan of Vermes and RSL just doesn't do it for me.

stevep
11-04-2018, 05:39 PM
Yeah I think Columbus winning it is most inoffensive to me. Perhaps Portland too, not a fan of Vermes and RSL just doesn't do it for me.

RYRB fans pissed, check out their message board. shield means nothing to them today.

I like Petke, he is a loose cannon, very entertaining character. you never know when he is going to explode in an interview

tfcfans
11-04-2018, 05:49 PM
My goodness Seattle is good.....the stat that shows Roldan basically played every minute of the 34 game season kind of goes to show how being healthy can make such a huge difference - Altanta without Almiron is a very different team (especially offensively), kind of like us without a Vasquez or Altidore for most of the year....

Yay Timbers x 2!

benito
11-04-2018, 05:57 PM
Portland scores. We have a match.

tfcfans
11-04-2018, 06:19 PM
Speaking of health and good/bad luck - there goes another key starter for Seattle - Chad Marshall gone...

RealG-TFC
11-04-2018, 06:36 PM
Jealous Seattle managed to get Ruidiaz. I remember seemingly every week there'd be a highlight of his when I'd peak over at the LigaMX subreddit during CCL.

SoccMan2
11-04-2018, 06:44 PM
So who is better Vasquez or Higuain it’s pretty even in my books.

benito
11-04-2018, 08:17 PM
Almiron with a lucky bounce on the goal for Atlanta...

Oops spoke too soon. The goal was reviewed and deemed offside on the preliminary touch.

OgtheDim
11-04-2018, 08:37 PM
Speaking of health and good/bad luck - there goes another key starter for Seattle - Chad Marshall gone...

If that's an ACL, his career might be over.

On another note, Gonzalez Perez for Atlanta is such trash.

magmadragon
11-04-2018, 09:57 PM
Steffan with his best Neuer impression. Seriously that charge out 30 yards to break up the play was crazy. Columbus so far is looking as my favorite for the east with that performance.

NYCFC Atlanta game was dirty. I can't think of many more games that were dirtier than that. Surprised no one got a red. Ugly ugly ugly.

magmadragon
11-04-2018, 09:58 PM
Almiron with a lucky bounce on the goal for Atlanta...

Oops spoke too soon. The goal was reviewed and deemed offside on the preliminary touch.

Even with the replay I didn't see anything wrong with that play. That goal should have counted.

Leedsoronto
11-04-2018, 10:16 PM
Steffan with his best Neuer impression. Seriously that charge out 30 yards to break up the play was crazy. Columbus so far is looking as my favorite for the east with that performance.

NYCFC Atlanta game was dirty. I can't think of many more games that were dirtier than that. Surprised no one got a red. Ugly ugly ugly.

Agreed, if it wasn’t a foul it was a dive !!!

OgtheDim
11-04-2018, 10:20 PM
Even with the replay I didn't see anything wrong with that play. That goal should have counted.

Corner kick taken by Almiron to a guy 5 yards away who just touches the ball...when he touches it, Almiron is offside. Almiron goes back for the ball from an offside position. Pretty smart play by NYC actually.

JuliquE
11-05-2018, 05:06 AM
Nice play CLBS!

What's in a name?

Seconded, btw. ^^

Ultra & Proud
11-05-2018, 12:47 PM
I don't think they'll win the tie bit I've been impressed with RSL so far. The lead up to that goal last night was something else.

ag futbol
11-06-2018, 04:51 PM
Headline on MLS website reads: “Chad Marshall undergoes knee surgery, will likely miss Leg 2 vs. Portland“

“Likely”... like death and taxes.

OgtheDim
11-08-2018, 04:26 PM
https://twitter.com/SJEarthquakes/status/1060639861609160705

Yohan
11-09-2018, 01:01 AM
Timbers win the TIFO war vs Seattle

https://twitter.com/TimbersFC/status/1060742317076664320?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

notthesun
11-09-2018, 01:01 AM
Oh my god, Blanco after he seemingly had won the tie for Portland with the worst defensive header I've ever seen, straight back into his own box and Ruidiaz smashes it home.

Reminded me of Creavalle crossing the ball back into our own box vs. NYC at the end of the game:

https://youtu.be/QoQSCiQnOEI?t=560

notthesun
11-09-2018, 01:10 AM
Jesus. This is in the same territory as our 2016 series vs MTL now.

Yohan
11-09-2018, 01:35 AM
half the Timbers players didn't know they were going to PKs lol. no away goal rules during extra time

Blindside16
11-09-2018, 02:22 AM
Thank God Portland pulled that out. I couldn't stomach another Sounders MLS cup run

tfcfans
11-09-2018, 05:18 AM
Great stuff tonight, compelling stories and moments all around......Now to eliminate Atlanta and NYRB and my playoffs will be complete....go Clbs and Western Conference....

Seattle lost on penalties at home after dominating a game (sound familiar?!) - we lost a Championship to them after being even more dominating for 120 minutes - they only lost in the Quarter Finals (basically) and not the Finals, my sympathy is lacking for Sounders fans tonight (you got your title and we got ours)....Thank You Timbers.....

For those that don’t appreciate how much “luck” goes into winning a Championship after watching tonight, I don’t know what else there is to say - there were a ton of little moments (and big ones) that could have led to the opposite result tonight - from player miscues (bad penalties, hand balls, missed shots in the box), officiating discretionary moments, injuries to key starters, etc. - if Seattle would have won tonight, would anyone have been shocked if they won the whole thing?! The line between success and failure is a pretty thin one in this league....

OgtheDim
11-09-2018, 06:24 AM
There is something about cup/playoff soccer that just brings out the best in MLS.

ensco
11-09-2018, 06:29 AM
Meanwhile, over in the Alternate Universe department.

Kashima Antlers of Japan play Perspolis of Iran in the second leg Saturday of the AFC Final.

Kashima won 2-0 in first leg.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eXh5SezRePI

We would have played the winner of this final in the UAE.

The winner of that AFC-Concacaf game gets Real Madrid.

What might have been.

Voodooman
11-09-2018, 06:55 AM
^ Still hurts....shhhhh

Side note, sounds like I need to watch this game. Reading about it has been phenomenal to see the reactions. Good luck to Portland!

Blindside16
11-09-2018, 07:05 AM
Meanwhile, over in the Alternate Universe department.

Kashima Antlers of Japan play Perspolis of Iran in the second leg Saturday of the AFC Final.

Kashima won 2-0 in first leg.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eXh5SezRePI

We would have played the winner of this final in the UAE.

The winner of that AFC-Concacaf game gets Real Madrid.

What might have been.

I can't bear to follow that. That wound is still too fresh

Blindside16
11-09-2018, 07:06 AM
^ Still hurts....shhhhh

Side note, sounds like I need to watch this game. Reading about it has been phenomenal to see the reactions. Good luck to Portland!

You should. Just the extra time alone was end to end and more entertaining than some teams full 90.

ensco
11-09-2018, 07:15 AM
Interesting footnote to the AFC Final. Perspolis have an ex TFC Academy player, Adam Hemati. I can’t tell if he plays much, all the websites with Iranian stats are in Persian and don’t seem to translate properly. I wonder if this is a guy we should be interested in bringing home.

http://www.ryersonrams.ca/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=22300&ATCLID=211658410

ensco
11-09-2018, 09:00 AM
While we are at it, on the other side of the draw, tomorrow the greatest of all possible Copa Libertadores finals begins

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/nov/09/boca-juniors-river-plate-copa-libertadores-final-bitter-argentinian-rivals

Lennon
11-09-2018, 09:19 PM
Interesting footnote to the AFC Final. Perspolis have an ex TFC Academy player, Adam Hemati. I can’t tell if he plays much, all the websites with Iranian stats are in Persian and don’t seem to translate properly. I wonder if this is a guy we should be interested in bringing home.

http://www.ryersonrams.ca/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=22300&ATCLID=211658410

Hasn't played very much. 116 minutes total (https://ca.soccerway.com/players/adam-hemati/526481/).

ensco
11-10-2018, 09:44 AM
Hasn't played very much. 116 minutes total (https://ca.soccerway.com/players/adam-hemati/526481/).

That may be, but he is in the starting XI.

https://twitter.com/theafccl/status/1061261382035873792?s=21

So that makes Hemati, Jonathan Osorio and Ashtone Morgan the only three Canadians to ever start in a Champions League final anywhere.

Kind of unreal we have never heard of the guy.

tfcfans
11-11-2018, 05:24 PM
That was an insane game in KC - they easily could have blown a 3-1 lead in the second half at home which should never happen for a team as good defensively as KC normally are.....crazy second half....

Go Clbs and NYCFC.....my hunch is the former will pull it off, but the latter will get blown out in Atl.....

Globetrotter
11-11-2018, 06:47 PM
Dumb question, but why did the POR/SEA game need PK's to determine a winner?

POR 2-1 home
SEA 3-2 home

4-4 aggregate.

Shouldn't POR have moved on by having scored 2 vs SEA 1 away goals, or is that no longer a thing in MLS?

RealG-TFC
11-11-2018, 06:57 PM
Dumb question, but why did the POR/SEA game need PK's to determine a winner?

POR 2-1 home
SEA 3-2 home

4-4 aggregate.

Shouldn't POR have moved on by having scored 2 vs SEA 1 away goals, or is that no longer a thing in MLS?

No away goals rule in Extra time

Globetrotter
11-11-2018, 07:06 PM
Aha - I didn't know it was 3-3 agg at the end of regulation. Sounds like that would have been a good game to watch.

I guess for them, might have been a similar feel and emotion as our TOR/MTL playoff series 2 years ago.

ag futbol
11-11-2018, 07:38 PM
Not a Atl fan but they are clearly a level above NYCFC.

I still must say none of these teams look as good as TFC at their peak. Let’s hope we return to our heights of last year in 2019

TFC07
11-11-2018, 07:41 PM
Not a Atl fan but they are clearly a level above NYCFC.

I still must say none of these teams look as good as TFC at their peak. Let’s hope we return to our heights of last year in 2019

That's what exactly I was thinking when watching today's games.

I feel like healthy TFC team can beat this Atlanta team.

benito
11-11-2018, 08:22 PM
Nyrb with an early goal and the aggregate is now tied. They look strong and are pressuring for another goal.

OgtheDim
11-11-2018, 09:44 PM
Well the final will either be in Jersey or Atlanta.

NYRB with home advantage vs. Atlanta will make a difference. I can see Atlanta going out and trying to win it in the first 20 minutes of the 180 & NYRB slowly clawing their way back in.

Out west, SKC looks solid and might squeek a one off game against either East team. I called Portland to win it all but I can't see them getting by SKC.

Initial B
11-11-2018, 09:47 PM
I'm torn, but I think I want Atlanta to beat the Red Bulls in the Conference Final. That way, neither team can claim the title of best ever from TFC. If Tata and Almiron leave in the off-season, hopefully an MLS Cup will sustain them through the crash the following year. Regardless of how insufferably entitled their fanbase seems, I do want to see their franchise (and all of MLS) succeed long-term. But I think my ideal outcome would be for Sporting Fit to prevail in the final.

stevep
11-11-2018, 09:55 PM
That's what exactly I was thinking when watching today's games.

I feel like healthy TFC team can beat this Atlanta team.

agreed, these teams do not have the quality we do.

Thank god we have TFC. way more exciting football

benito
11-11-2018, 10:11 PM
I think the playoff games have been exciting so far. I have enjoyed all the games I have seen.

This international break kills the playoff momentum. It would be nice if mls would adjust the schedule so the break comes right before the final. This would give an extra week before the final to build hype and allow supporters more time to make travel plans.

I also don’t want either of the East teams to win and would prefer Portland to win the cup.

SoccMan2
11-11-2018, 10:16 PM
Just watch the games if you want to watch , to say TFC is better or worse than who is left in the playoffs, get over it TFC did not even qualify for the playoffs with that disastrous of a season that was. In terms of who had the greatest season TFC of last season or the Red Bulls if they were to win MLS Cup , who cares just enjoy the memories and how we all felt winning that MLS Cup at home expecially after the heartbreak of losing on penalties in 2016. In the end TFC won it all in 2017 and that’s all that matters , just enjoy watching these playoffs in 2018 as a neautral if you want no need to compare , TFC won it all in 2017 and that’s all that matters , what’s comparing going to solve , nothing really . Whoever wins it this year will be champions just like TFC was and no one will be thinking after they win if they were a better team than TFC when TFC won it last year all that will matter to the fans and the team that wins is that they won and for them it will feel just as good as it felt for TFC and their fans .

ensco
11-11-2018, 10:56 PM
I tip my hat to Columbus and Berhalter. That series was a coin flip, the final score flatters NYRB. Columbus do a great job of putting themselves in a good position every year.

Yohan
11-12-2018, 12:00 AM
https://twitter.com/SportingKC/status/1061743779730898944/video/1

SKC trolling RSL on twitter

matteo30
11-12-2018, 12:13 AM
Both teams Atlanta and the Red Bulls are unlikeable and full of divers complainers and whiners. Where would Atlanta be without there automatic PK goal they get every home game. The Diving the faking these are professional athletes. But the arrogance and Entitlement from both teams has left a sour taste in my mouth. The rolling around by Atlanta in the second half was disgusting. It's not a good look on the league that either of these teams will be in the finals. The league never allows things to just play out there always has to push a team like Atlanta and there "narrative" why do they get an automatic PK almost every game and refs moving the ball 6 yards closer to the goal on free kicks? Are they marketed now as the New LA Galaxy.

Auzzy
11-12-2018, 12:44 AM
I think the playoff games have been exciting so far. I have enjoyed all the games I have seen.

This international break kills the playoff momentum. It would be nice if mls would adjust the schedule so the break comes right before the final. This would give an extra week before the final to build hype and allow supporters more time to make travel plans.

I also don’t want either of the East teams to win and would prefer Portland to win the cup.

I agree on all aspects! I'm rooting for Portland.

magmadragon
11-12-2018, 04:27 PM
I really enjoyed all these 2nd legs. MLS playoffs are anything but boring.

stevep
11-12-2018, 05:16 PM
very weak goals 2 and 3 in NYRB Columbus game
kind reminded me of some of Bono's questionable goals this year :dupe:

would have really sucked for the league to have columbus vs atlanta

stevep
11-12-2018, 05:44 PM
Both teams Atlanta and the Red Bulls are unlikeable and full of divers complainers and whiners. Where would Atlanta be without there automatic PK goal they get every home game. The Diving the faking these are professional athletes. But the arrogance and Entitlement from both teams has left a sour taste in my mouth. The rolling around by Atlanta in the second half was disgusting. It's not a good look on the league that either of these teams will be in the finals. The league never allows things to just play out there always has to push a team like Atlanta and there "narrative" why do they get an automatic PK almost every game and refs moving the ball 6 yards closer to the goal on free kicks? Are they marketed now as the New LA Galaxy.

why did TFC go into almost every game with about a 25% lower win probability due to red cards, injuries, travel schedule, questionable referering calls, qustions VAR decisions scheduling campeones cup with 2 days rest before an away game when we are in a race to get into the playoffs

it is scripted this way for 2018. who knows why??

Blindside16
11-13-2018, 04:47 AM
I agree on all aspects! I'm rooting for Portland.

After seeing what is left I am rooting for Portland as well. Especially considering that is the only way that Redbulls will not qualify for Champions League.

PizzaEatingYeti
11-13-2018, 06:16 AM
After seeing what is left I am rooting for Portland as well. Especially considering that is the only way that Redbulls will not qualify for Champions League.

I am too.
But for the one and only reason that they are the most likeable team from what's left... not more, not less.

Carter
11-14-2018, 07:00 AM

i think this is incorrect, I am 99% sure they qualified when they won the shield.

For the United States, four teams qualify for the CONCACAF Champions League, three through the Major League Soccer (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Soccer) (MLS) season and one through its domestic cup competition:

The champions of the MLS Cup (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MLS_Cup), the championship match of the MLS Cup Playoffs (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MLS_Cup_Playoffs)
The champions of the Supporters' Shield (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supporters%27_Shield), awarded to the team with the best MLS regular season record
The MLS regular season champions of either the Eastern Conference (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Conference_(MLS)) or Western Conference (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Conference_(MLS)) which are not the Supporters' Shield champions
The champions of the U.S. Open Cup (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamar_Hunt_U.S._Open_Cup)

Cas87
11-14-2018, 07:09 AM
[/B]i think this is incorrect, I am 99% sure they qualified when they won the shield.

For the United States, four teams qualify for the CONCACAF Champions League, three through the Major League Soccer (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Soccer) (MLS) season and one through its domestic cup competition:

The champions of the MLS Cup (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MLS_Cup), the championship match of the MLS Cup Playoffs (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MLS_Cup_Playoffs)
The champions of the Supporters' Shield (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supporters%27_Shield), awarded to the team with the best MLS regular season record
The MLS regular season champions of either the Eastern Conference (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Conference_(MLS)) or Western Conference (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Conference_(MLS)) which are not the Supporters' Shield champions
The champions of the U.S. Open Cup (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamar_Hunt_U.S._Open_Cup)

this is old info for the 2019 competition. Due to the reset CONCACAF did the MLS births are:
2017 and 2018 MLS cup and US open cup champions (Since we won MLS cup 2017, this birth is given to the club with the best aggregate records over the 17-18 MLS seasons — Atlanta United)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_CONCACAF_Champions_League

OgtheDim
11-14-2018, 08:27 AM
FWIW, the MLS champ will be in the opposite pool of the draw from us - i.e. we could be drawn against them in the CCL 1st round.

Carter
11-14-2018, 07:02 PM
this is old info for the 2019 competition. Due to the reset CONCACAF did the MLS births are:
2017 and 2018 MLS cup and US open cup champions (Since we won MLS cup 2017, this birth is given to the club with the best aggregate records over the 17-18 MLS seasons — Atlanta United)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_CONCACAF_Champions_League

I stand corrected!

sidvan
11-14-2018, 07:13 PM
I stand corrected!

It's ok. Go ahead and sit down. :hump:

Carter
11-14-2018, 07:15 PM
It's ok. Go ahead and sit down. :hump:

Is my big head in the way of you seeing the pitch 4 rows down from you? I know my ego and head is ping.. LOL :hide::taz:

Voodooman
11-20-2018, 02:13 PM
I guess Red Bulls really trying to get people to come to their game.

Had Ticket reps email me and Call me to get tickets for the game vs Atlanta. Considering I've been there once for our playoff game last year...be prepared for some long distance calls whomever else came!

ensco
11-20-2018, 02:30 PM
Marky Delgado gets the start today v Italy

https://twitter.com/ussoccer_mnt/status/1064951111340175360?s=21

sidvan
11-20-2018, 07:16 PM
Is my big head in the way of you seeing the pitch 4 rows down from you? I know my ego and head is ping.. LOL :hide::taz:

Usually blowing my top at PRO refereeing so probably can see over :D

ensco
11-22-2018, 09:56 PM
This is a training session today at the Bombonera in advance of the second leg of the Copa Libertadores final Saturday

https://twitter.com/rorysmith/status/1065731263473086465?s=21

Redpunkfiddle
11-22-2018, 10:54 PM
This is a training session today at the Bombonera in advance of the second leg of the Copa Libertadores final Saturday

I think you need to lay off the Club World Cup related updates or post a trigger warning for those with CCL PTSD.

Richard
11-22-2018, 11:20 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGDBR2L5kzI

Hamilton_Red
11-23-2018, 12:01 AM
I think you need to lay off the Club World Cup related updates or post a trigger warning for those with CCL PTSD.

This. I just watched the Chivas Final...thought maybe I was a little harsh on Delgado and that miss. 91 Minutes...8 yards out..unmarked.... it was as bad a miss as you could imagine.
Still made me feel sick to see it. A proper strike and TFC are CONCACAF Champions..2018 would have been the culmination. It was that close.

ensco
11-23-2018, 07:44 AM

No viewing party for Kashima Antlers v Chivas?

:hide:

(I have more PTSD from not being in the MLS playoffs, which I thought was now kind of a birthright for this team)

ensco
11-23-2018, 07:46 AM
This. I just watched the Chivas Final...thought maybe I was a little harsh on Delgado and that miss. 91 Minutes...8 yards out..unmarked.... it was as bad a miss as you could imagine.
Still made me feel sick to see it. A proper strike and TFC are CONCACAF Champions..2018 would have been the culmination. It was that close.

I see that play in my head pretty much every day. I think something is wrong with me.

portu
11-23-2018, 09:12 AM

Still think the goal Bono let in off that terrible angle free kick in the first leg was worse.

ensco
11-24-2018, 02:05 PM
I am putting this here not because of CCL, but because today's game is the one of the biggest matches in decades, and is more worthy of attention than the MLS playoffs.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/23/sports/boca-juniors-river-plate-copa-libertadores.html

Richard
11-24-2018, 02:34 PM
I am putting this here not because of CCL, but because today's game is the one of the biggest matches in decades, and is more worthy of attention than the MLS playoffs.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/23/sports/boca-juniors-river-plate-copa-libertadores.html

There is the world cup final and then there is this. A great moment in Football history will happen today.

notthesun
11-24-2018, 04:21 PM
There is the world cup final and then there is this. A great moment in Football history will happen today.

Oops...

Initial B
11-24-2018, 06:27 PM
Well, it was definitely a moment in history. Someone from the security forces is going to get sacked over this. Allowing the opposing fans to attack the visiting team bus, break windows, and throw in tear gas?!? River Plate should forfeit due to their thuggish fans.

Richard
11-24-2018, 07:12 PM
It should probably be played in a closed stadium after this.

To think that a large number of opposing fans wont sneak into the match is naive.

ensco
11-25-2018, 08:21 AM
Argentina is a troubled country. What a disaster for them.

No one can win it now. Just abandon it and go home.

It's just a game.

Interesting interview with Piatti a month ago, that has new meaning today
https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/montreal-impacts-ignacio-piatti-loving-life-mls/

That story in turn references another interesting story
https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/conmebol-come-in-for-heavy-criticism-after-santos-furore

Richard
11-25-2018, 11:53 AM
Argentina is a troubled country. What a disaster for them.

No one can win it now. Just abandon it and go home.

It's just a game.

Interesting interview with Piatti a month ago, that has new meaning today
https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/montreal-impacts-ignacio-piatti-loving-life-mls/

That story in turn references another interesting story
https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/conmebol-come-in-for-heavy-criticism-after-santos-furore

This is crazy.

Having a kid smuggle flares in.

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/1066401051643924480https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/1066401051643924480

ensco
11-25-2018, 01:46 PM
Replay may be in Dubai as part of CWC

MightyDM
11-25-2018, 02:11 PM
Replay may be in Dubai as part of CWC

River should be forfeiting the match.

OgtheDim
11-25-2018, 03:11 PM
Thing to watch today

5 Atlanta players on yellows today including Martinez- IF NYRB do their press, and Atlanta really likes to play out of the back, expect some yellows to fly.

Hoping for NYRB to do the business at home next week thus giving us some satisfaction for once again forcing Atlanta into a playoff scenario they did not prefer.

ensco
11-25-2018, 05:19 PM
River should be forfeiting the match.

Maybe. Tough call.

Many fan bases have bad groups that are ruining things for the other 98%.

Gringo Starr
11-25-2018, 05:46 PM
I'm hoping Red Bulls win but if I have to hear more talk that this Red Bulls season is better than what we did last year I might change my mind. Win a shield and a cup and make the CCL final and then maybe have the discussion....

ensco
11-25-2018, 06:01 PM
In our two year run, we never once saw high school marking like NYRB provided on that goal.

ag futbol
11-25-2018, 06:19 PM
In our two year run, we never once saw high school marking like NYRB provided on that goal.
I was going to say, all this talk from Twellman about the “great pass” ... It was straight up poor play by Parker at the far post. Lost sight of the league leading goal scorer and misjudged the flight of the ball.

tfcfans
11-25-2018, 06:45 PM
....and VAR rears it’s ugly head....

Prof
11-25-2018, 07:30 PM
NYRB got ripped off. VAR to take away a goal but no VAR for a clear hand ball in box against Atlanta.

tfcfans
11-25-2018, 07:31 PM
The difference of a VAR call and a potential non-hand ball call and it’s basically over.....it shows how much things can change on a few key moments....

Well - at least if Atl win, they didn’t do the double or do anything in CCL or domestic cup, and we did better in all competitions overall (treble + CCL Final), you know, for those who care about the idea of “TFC Greatest Single Season Ever” type of legacy which will be preserved in my opinion (we were better in Goal Differential too - +37 vs +26 (we scored more and conceded less).....again no one in Atlanta will care about that crap, and they will love their Championship as much as we love ours, but seeing as some on here were talking about overall legacy....notice how the West gets no mention at all (ha ha ha) —- I simply can’t see KC or Portland going into Atlanta and winning MLS Cup.....hope I’m wrong....

Gringo Starr
11-25-2018, 07:43 PM
That didn't look like a handball to me but that Var call was weak, I'd feel hard done by if I was NY but it was their defence that was mostly to blame, that was Zavaleta like defence.

OgtheDim
11-25-2018, 07:50 PM
I'm hoping Red Bulls win but if I have to hear more talk that this Red Bulls season is better than what we did last year I might change my mind. Win a shield and a cup and make the CCL final and then maybe have the discussion....

Yeah, I cringed at that & immediately muted Twellman.

Meaningless now though.

Armas outcoached himself there today - no way that you change your entire approach, one that has defined your team for 5 seasons, just because your LB is injured. Rookie coach mistake.

Cuppy
11-25-2018, 08:27 PM
All the credit to the Timbers Army supporters. Chants are on point and original. Keep it coming boys

stevep
11-25-2018, 09:55 PM
....and VAR rears it’s ugly head....

VAR is a brilliant way of scripting games to go in your favour
who ever came up with VAR idea is a genius
call it on close plays with the team you want to win when something happens in their favour when it is not called on the field of play
vice versa for the team you want to lose

or use it to make a game closer when one team is clearly better than the other team
give the underdog a VAR call to make it a closer game

I witnessed this firsthand on tfc vs Chicago game at BMO in early spring

SirBobSaget
11-25-2018, 11:13 PM
I was going to say, all this talk from Twellman about the “great pass” ... It was straight up poor play by Parker at the far post. Lost sight of the league leading goal scorer and misjudged the flight of the ball.

And then staring down Murillo for some reason .. it was a 35 year looping cross that Parker completely misread.

SirBobSaget
11-25-2018, 11:23 PM
NYRB got ripped off. VAR to take away a goal but no VAR for a clear hand ball in box against Atlanta.

I watched a lot of Atlanta games this year, maybe confirmation bias since rooted against them but there were so many out of nowhere VAR calls in their favor. Same against TFC where there was a goal reversed on a foul at midfield 30 seconds before a goal. Also TFC had many close calls never reviewed. Total opposite for Atlanta where everything against them gets reviewed and they never had one of these weird VAR calls against them.

That BWP series defining away goal the offside player was to the right of BWP 10 yards out, no where near the path of the shot. Its a joke. Please show me one instance where VAR screwed over Atlanta

VAr rant over - Armas totally lost the battle. NYRB have owned Atl with their high press over 2 season now in a key game he decides to abandon the gameplan? This guy got exposed as riidng Marsh's blueprint to success then trying to put his own stamp only to be exposed as a fraud.

SoccMan2
11-26-2018, 12:03 AM
Unless my eyes deceived me the RBNY goal was offside and VAR verified it.The RBNY player was in an offside position and screened the keeper on Bradley Wright Philipps goal it was a good call , VAR got it right.

Voodooman
11-26-2018, 07:56 AM
That ATL vs NYRB was fun to watch nonetheless, but yes that was not the same NYRB team we have seen all season, they changed their approach and it didn't work. I have no idea what they were doing being so vulnerable in the backline as well when being up 2-0.

The Portland and SKC game....was scrappy. That might be all I can say. Didn't seem like either team was at the same level as the first semi

JayMolly
11-26-2018, 11:41 AM
Wouldn't object to a Portland and Atlanta final?

Ben - D.O.W.
11-26-2018, 12:59 PM
Wouldn't object to a Portland and Atlanta final?

Wouldn't object - but I know whatever combination it ends up I'll be cheering for the team from the West. The last 2 years Atlanta and NYRB have impressed me with how unlikable they are.

Voodooman
11-26-2018, 01:03 PM
Wouldn't object - but I know whatever combination it ends up I'll be cheering for the team from the West. The last 2 years Atlanta and NYRB have impressed me with how unlikable they are.

I can back this. Whomever wins between Portland/SKC...I really don't care.

ensco
11-27-2018, 09:39 PM
Interesting

We made significant sacrifices in part to help make 1500 tickets available for the Seattle support

https://timbersarmy.org/Blog/6935567

OgtheDim
11-27-2018, 11:11 PM
Atlanta is unlikely to be involved in this decision - the league will be licking its chops at how many people they can impress by getting into that arena for that game.

BUT...Portland and SKC would be able to sell that many tickets and get people there.

pfk
11-28-2018, 12:07 PM
MLS is only offering 900 seats to Portland/SKC supporters if Atlanta hosts the final (72,000 seat stadium). Conversely they are offering 1000 seats at RBNY (25,000 seat capacity). Wow, that sucks.

Oldtimer
11-28-2018, 12:58 PM
interesting

we made significant sacrifices in part to help make 1500 tickets available for the seattle support

https://timbersarmy.org/blog/6935567

respect

Initial B
11-28-2018, 01:04 PM
I get the feeling that this is Atlanta's year and that MLS will move heaven and earth to stack the deck in their favor to give Tata and Almiron a proper championship send-off. You can already see it in the calls.

ag futbol
11-28-2018, 01:31 PM
I’d eschew any conspiracy theories. NBNY played poorly and made a number of untimely errors more so than anything Atlanta did that was brilliant.

Thought the calls were close enough to being correct where nobody should complain.

tfcfans
11-29-2018, 08:02 PM
That was almost done in about 20 seconds - shocked Martinez didn’t finish that.....

SirBobSaget
11-29-2018, 10:47 PM
I can back this. Whomever wins between Portland/SKC...I really don't care.

I'm leaning towards SKC having the better chance of beating Atlanta so cheering for them. Well coached team that can defend and counter. They have a chance to 'Seattle' Atlanta in an away Cup match.

They have a good away record 8w 6L 3D. Go Kansas!

OgtheDim
11-29-2018, 11:22 PM
Looking like Portland in Atlanta.

tfcfans
11-29-2018, 11:57 PM
Portland does it - I think we are all Timbers fans now

Oldtimer
11-30-2018, 12:06 AM
Portland does it - I think we are all Timbers fans now

For sure.

From a league marketing perspective this has to be a dream match up.

Fernandinho
11-30-2018, 12:09 AM
Sooo...umm...go Portland..???

Auzzy
11-30-2018, 12:25 AM
I'm definitely rooting for Portland in the final, but that will be tough.

Amazing goal by Sebastian Blanco for Portland.

Voodooman
11-30-2018, 08:04 AM
That goal from Blanco, unbelievable!

Congrats to Portland, SKC just didn't finish their chances. Here is hoping that the Timbers can take it to them!

Prof
11-30-2018, 10:55 AM
Another stupid VAR call taking away a NYRB goal. This is shameful. In the run of play if it is NOT a clear and obvious error it should not be reviewed. VAR worked so well during the World Cup but seems to be used as a tool in MLS only when needed.

Auzzy
11-30-2018, 11:02 AM
I haven't been paying attention to the playoffs, but what's with them playing games on a weeknight?

Tunnelred
11-30-2018, 11:08 AM
I really hope Portland do it. Not only would it be glorious for them to beat Atlanta in Atlanta, but it would also piss off Seattle fans at the same time. Amazing.

Tunnelred
11-30-2018, 11:11 AM
I haven't been paying attention to the playoffs, but what's with them playing games on a weeknight?

If I remember correctly, both our games vs Crew last year were weeknights. Plus the Montreal series the season before. So it’s nothing new.

pfk
11-30-2018, 02:41 PM
I really hope Portland do it. Not only would it be glorious for them to beat Atlanta in Atlanta, but it would also piss off Seattle fans at the same time. Amazing.

It would be more glorious for Portland to win on penalty kicks after Josef Martinez misses on the last PK attempt with his cringey hop-skip-and-jump approach.

Red18andRed23
11-30-2018, 02:44 PM
Go Timbers!!!
Go Timbers!!!
Go Timbers!!!
Go Timbers!!!

Ultra & Proud
11-30-2018, 11:46 PM
Team Original Hipster > Second Team All Plastic

Prof
12-06-2018, 09:14 AM
Does anyone know of any pubs/sports bars that will have the final on their big screens?

Oldtimer
12-06-2018, 09:28 AM
Does anyone know of any pubs/sports bars that will have the final on their big screens?

Waking the Red is hosting a viewing party at the Pint, RSVP required:

https://www.wakingthered.com/2018/12/4/18125916/2018-mls-cup-viewing-party-waking-the-red-meet-up

ensco
12-06-2018, 10:42 AM
All you guys cheering for the Timbers... Merritt Paulson will be telling everyone/everyone that Portland is the elite MLS team since 2015 if they win

Oldtimer
12-06-2018, 11:17 AM
All you guys cheering for the Timbers... Merritt Paulson will be telling everyone/everyone that Portland is the elite MLS team since 2015 if they win

Atlanta is by far the team most of us would not want to win. Nobody is going to believe that Portland is the elite team, but Atlanta may be thought that way by those who don't want a Canadian team to be considered the best.

ensco
12-06-2018, 11:24 AM
Atlanta bugs us because they did what we thought we should do but failed so spectacularly at (eg walk into the league and win day one)

i dislike the finalists equally, I have seen enough to know that neither is as good as us, and have decided the 2018 MLS playoffs were cancelled.

jabbronies
12-06-2018, 11:33 AM
Atlanta bugs us because they did what we thought we should do but failed so spectacularly at (eg walk into the league and win day one)

i dislike the finalists equally, I have seen enough to know that neither is as good as us, and have decided the 2018 MLS playoffs were cancelled.

I usually take this approach as well - however, I really hate how Smug Atlanta are. They need to be humbled.

GO PORTLAND! (but I won't be wearing green)

Oldtimer
12-06-2018, 11:39 AM

If only we had been given a real soccer guy instead of condo guy Anselmi in the early days, with MLSE's resources, should have happened.

OTOH, we grew a lot in character supporting a losing and disfunctional team until Lieweke cleaned house.

Voodooman
12-06-2018, 12:22 PM
If only we had been given a real soccer guy instead of condo guy Anselmi in the early days, with MLSE's resources, should have happened.

OTOH, we grew a lot in character supporting a losing and disfunctional team until Lieweke cleaned house.

Agreed, how fun would the boards be here when we would try to figure out which new player was playing for us each game.

Pages and pages of starting lineup discussions.

Agreed though, if Portland wins, nobody in our vicinity will care. The ones who will the most is Seattle...and I sort of enjoy that as well.

If Atlanta wins, we won't hear the end of it.

SoccMan2
12-06-2018, 08:17 PM
I’ll be cheering for Atlanta just for the fact how well that city has gotten behind that team with their incredible attendances. From what I’m hearing and reading it looks like the whole city of Atlanta is really going crazy for this team, flags and bumber stickers seem to be everywhere, people and expecially kids are wearing Atlanta United jerseys in schools. TFC were in two back to back MLS Cups but still I felt not enough of our city got behind TFC . Even after TFC won no real celebrations in the streets. However , in Atlanta it seems they are treating this as a big deal just like if their NBA team or NFL team or their MLB team was in a championship game. Here in Toronto TFC’s MLS Cup got just a bit more hype than the Argos and Rock but nothing close to the Jays,Leafs or Raptors if they were in a championship game. However, in Atlanta it’s seems to be a very big deal, therefore go Atlanta I’ll be cheering for them.

OgtheDim
12-07-2018, 07:03 AM
Here's why I can't support Atlanta

From before they started, right from the very first exhibition game, their fans and bloggers have said there is no team as good as them in this league. I had a twitter exchange with 'Dirty South Soccer' (the closest thing to come all you reds) from early February 2017 where they were exclaiming how great a move was in an exhibition game against a PDL team. The move was actually pretty typical of MLS teams. But they were gushing on and on about how great technically their team was. This has not stopped. Every loss is met with incredulity.

The ignorance of the rest of the league has not stopped there. I get that most fans do not know about most of the league beyond their team. Most journos covering Atlanta do not know about the rest of the league. I stopped following the guy from the Atlanta Journal Constitution because he never discussed anybody but Atlanta and also dissed Bradley every time his name came up - like I can see people not liking Bradley as a USMNT player - he dissed him as a player period. Like at least TRY to get involved in the league you are involved in.

The diving. It drives me nuts their diving and whining. And I'm not upset in the old "real men don't dive here in England" way. I'm ticked because these guys try to con refs using CONMEBOL style. Its Neymar stuff. Like at least TRY to act like you are playing in CONCACAF where the guile is less about acting trying to get people yellows and reds and more about trying to wind up your opponent and wind down the clock.

That pitch - find it REALLY hard to support a team playing on plastic.

I prefer my main strikers to play with technique for their goals. Martinez is a tap in guy - works darn hard to get there but he still is the last head/touch in sort of guy. I prefer to watch Seba & Jozy work their magic. Oh, and I can't stand that stutter step penalty kick Martinez takes - should have been banned like it was proposed a few years ago.

SoccMan2
12-07-2018, 01:38 PM
Looks like the whole city has gone Atlanta United crazy ,something you can’t say really happened here in Toronto during TFC’s two back to back MLS appearances here in Toronto.http://www.fox5atlanta.com/sports/atlanta-united-supporters-paint-the-town-red.

OgtheDim
12-08-2018, 05:21 PM
Prediction

Atlanta 3-1

It will be all but over by the 35th minute and will ultimately be way more boring then the last 3 games have been. MLS will talk about Atlanta for 9 months but not the game. Within weeks, Martino & Almiron are gone. Atlanta gets Scheletto as their new coach & the hangover in Atlanta lasts into July of next year.

Although somebody in the UK started a "Alan Pardew to Atlanta" rumour - the giggles would be amazing.

zorsofstesab
12-08-2018, 07:55 PM
just wondering if Atlanta had the same issue as we had the previous 2 years when season ticket holders could not have there own seats for the finals?

OgtheDim
12-08-2018, 08:53 PM
There are empty seats in the high end price zones so I'd say that is likely.

MightyDM
12-08-2018, 08:53 PM
Prediction

Atlanta 3-1

It will be all but over by the 35th minute and will ultimately be way more boring then the last 3 games have been. MLS will talk about Atlanta for 9 months but not the game. Within weeks, Martino & Almiron are gone. Atlanta gets Scheletto as their new coach & the hangover in Atlanta lasts into July of next year.

Although somebody in the UK started a "Alan Pardew to Atlanta" rumour - the giggles would be amazing.

would he bring JC with him.

writing at the 35 Th minute.....

OgtheDim
12-08-2018, 08:57 PM
And...goodnight.

tfcfans
12-08-2018, 08:58 PM
Done and done on a goal being handed to them by Portland being sloppy.....

glaze
12-08-2018, 09:38 PM
On a positive note in 30 mins this season is officially over and the countdown to 2019 begins

SoccMan2
12-08-2018, 09:49 PM
On a positive note in 30 mins this season is officially over and the countdown to 2019 begins
What’s so positive about that what’s your point?

SoccMan2
12-08-2018, 10:14 PM
Well done Atlanta well deserved and what incredible fans the best in MLS by a mile what incredible fan support no other city in the MLS comes even close I’m sorry!

OgtheDim
12-08-2018, 10:15 PM
Its been a long time since we had a game - and most of the highlights came from team's from the East. Looking forward to talking about us again.

Atlanta has built something different down there supporter wise. Very much urban black Southern culture. Good to see. They get the gold star next year. But they'll have to do it without their coach and their best player. I still think they struggle until the summer.

SoccMan2
12-08-2018, 10:18 PM
Its been a long time since we had a game - and most of the highlights came from team's from the East. Looking forward to talking about us again.

Atlanta has built something different down there supporter wise. Very much urban black Southern culture. Good to see. They get the gold star next year. But they'll have to do it without their coach and their best player. I still think they struggle until the summer.
If they get Schelotto as their coach they ain’t going to struggle my friend I’ll guarantee it!

Oldtimer
12-08-2018, 10:27 PM
They benefitted from a lot of extra allocation as a new team (something that wasn't true when TFC started) and will have to shed players next year. Just like with TFC losing Beitashour, it will affect the team, and I actually expect them to lose several players.

tfcfans
12-08-2018, 10:27 PM
Final Tally of 2017 TFC vs 2018 Atlanta......I know some hate this comparison stuff, but frankly every time I hear this “greatest team/fans” talk with Atlanta it makes me think a little bit of recency bias is happening here.....

69 points for both, Atlanta with 79 goals for and 46 against for the year including playoffs; TFC was 79 goals for and 39 against; both great seasons but anyone who says Atlanta was the greatest single season team over Toronto which included winning the Shield, a domestic Cup, and a run to the CONCACAF CL Finals only to lose on PK....never mind a 2016 MLS Cup Finals which was also lost on PKs after dominating that game too.....it’s not even close to me as to who has achieved more in a two year span —— let’s see how they do without Martino, Almirón, and if they make a lengthy CCL run, what that does to their early season form next year......frankly health has as much to do with it as anything; look at Almirón, Martínez, Gressels minutes played as opposed to most DPs on other teams.....

Again, Congrats to Atlanta, great teams both, but Atlanta fans have frankly been spoiled with this whole thing - show me 8 years of losing and missing playoffs and then see how many people show up to soccer in Atlanta — the Jays drew tons of people in 2015/2016 when they were winning — cheering for winning is easy; two years later the Jays sold 800,000 less tickets this year; the biggest attendance drop across all of MLB.....bandwagons filling up when winning is easy; sticking it out when you suck for years on end is much more difficult when your fan base has actually been tested, Atlanta’s has not been yet, only time will tell if they will stick it out if their team bottoms out at some point in the future....the city of Atlanta does not have a strong history of supporting losing teams....

reggie
12-08-2018, 10:34 PM
if i here the word atmosphere one more time:drinking:

Auzzy
12-08-2018, 10:40 PM
Although Atlanta was the stronger team overall, Portland actually had some very decent chances but couldn't convert. Very similar in terms of shots & shots on goal. Guzan also with some decent saves. I definitely didn't see this game as being done & dusted after 30 minutes, could have gone either way. But it became inevitable as Portland still couldn't convert.

OgtheDim
12-08-2018, 10:41 PM
Ditto: rest of MLS has to step up now :drinking:

SoccMan2
12-08-2018, 10:42 PM
if i here the word atmosphere one more time:drinking:
I’ll say it again the best atmosphere by a mile in Atlanta hands down !!

reggie
12-08-2018, 10:59 PM
atl is good for the league...but i still think a healthy tfc team is better then atl

DinamoTFC
12-08-2018, 11:04 PM
atl is good for the league...but i still think a healthy tfc team is better then atl

That was proven last game of season. Ccl is going to be fun in 2019

OgtheDim
12-08-2018, 11:05 PM
I wonder if ATL's approach has the potential to be great every year.

TFC can, if they handle the transition of their DP's, become a perennial powerhouse - that's the ambition of TFC - to always be there. I think they pooched things this year in a "post first win now lets win CCL" binge that will never happen again. When we win another MLS title (and we will), I don't think we'll approach the CCL and the next MLS season like 2018 ever again.

Atlanta's is so dependent upon the new talent being good right away - case in point Barco who was crud this season-if they happen to get 2 moves wrong in one season, they will not dominate.

I prefer our approach.

JT Red127
12-10-2018, 07:51 AM
I’ll say it again the best atmosphere by a mile in Atlanta hands down !!

You're quite the fan eh? :rolleyes:

Gringo Starr
12-10-2018, 08:41 AM
I wonder if ATL's approach has the potential to be great every year.

TFC can, if they handle the transition of their DP's, become a perennial powerhouse - that's the ambition of TFC - to always be there. I think they pooched things this year in a "post first win now lets win CCL" binge that will never happen again. When we win another MLS title (and we will), I don't think we'll approach the CCL and the next MLS season like 2018 ever again.

Atlanta's is so dependent upon the new talent being good right away - case in point Barco who was crud this season-if they happen to get 2 moves wrong in one season, they will not dominate.

I prefer our approach.

Martinez coming over from River Plate as a replacement for Almiron seems a decent approach, ATL certainly seem to be able to bring in talent, even Barco shows skill. If ATL's approach is to become know as a bridge where skilled South American guys can come play a few years and move on to Europe I can see them being a perennial powerhouse.

Initial B
12-10-2018, 09:22 AM
I have to admit, AU are doing a good job of building a distinct identity within MLS. They strike me as a better executed Chivas USA. I get the feeling that they're in for a bit of a hiccup next season, and I wonder if they'll be prepared for the rigors of Concacafing teams in the CCL.

Oldtimer
12-10-2018, 09:28 AM
Martinez coming over from River Plate as a replacement for Almiron seems a decent approach, ATL certainly seem to be able to bring in talent, even Barco shows skill. If ATL's approach is to become know as a bridge where skilled South American guys can come play a few years and move on to Europe I can see them being a perennial powerhouse.

I have to admit, AU are doing a good job of building a distinct identity within MLS. They strike me as a better executed Chivas USA. I get the feeling that they're in for a bit of a hiccup next season, and I wonder if they'll be prepared for the rigors of Concacafing teams in the CCL.

Atlanta actually look to be replicating DC United in the early days with their South American emphasis, which means they will have a consistency (although I still expect cap problems this year resulting in them shedding players). DC United was a powerhouse for several years and won several cups.

TFC as the "best version of themselves" is better than Atlanta, though.

ag futbol
12-10-2018, 09:48 AM
I think that was the rightful result, as much as there are aspects of having a new team to the league win that nobody likes.

The gap between the east and the west in terms of the quality of the top teams is noticeable.

Derko
12-10-2018, 11:09 AM
Not that I wanted Atlanta to win, but they dis play the better game, The thing that really bothers me about Atlanta is the god awful typically American nickname, who in their right mind came up with the 'Five Stripes' ffs. That's like calling Palermo the Pinkies
https://palermocalcioit.cdn-immedia.net/upload/assets/files/976,-1,31643/12322-0.jpg (https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiQloCU0ZXfAhUB94MKHatWB5sQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fpalermocalcio.it%2Fen%2Fnews%2Fp alermo-fc-schulz-11-0-game-commentary_31643%2F&psig=AOvVaw1YC11lveBI_eXHN9zVD3Bs&ust=1544544031708383)

magmadragon
12-10-2018, 12:19 PM
So for the past 3 MLS Cups, Cascadia can't buy a goal.

Derko
12-10-2018, 01:45 PM
So for the past 3 MLS Cups, Cascadia can't buy a goal.

Yes I did not realize that until you mentioned, cheers

ensco
12-10-2018, 05:05 PM
Not that I wanted Atlanta to win, but they dis play the better game, The thing that really bothers me about Atlanta is the god awful typically American nickname, who in their right mind came up with the 'Five Stripes' ffs. That's like calling Palermo the Pinkies

Or calling Palermo the pink and black, or something stupid like that... oh wait

Redcoe15
12-11-2018, 03:27 AM
fuck Atlanta!
Fuck Atlanta!
Fuck Atlanta!
Fuck Atlanta!
Fuck Atlanta!

Redcoe15
12-11-2018, 03:37 AM
No team should have to make their run to the top so easy! And any one who says the worst sports market in North America says otherwise can go eat shit and die!

Oldtimer
12-11-2018, 07:08 AM
^ tell us how you really feel, lol.

ensco
12-15-2018, 04:56 PM
Kashima Antlers beat Chivas 3-2 today and will face Real Madrid in the semis of the CWC.

OgtheDim
12-15-2018, 06:04 PM
Watched the highlights. Would have been in with a good shout there.

ensco
12-20-2018, 06:25 PM
Real handled Antlers 3-1 last night. Bale with a natural hat trick in 11 minutes. But Antlers kept it scoreless until almost halftime.

Esperance beat Chivas in penalties in the 5th place game. So Chivas finished 6th out of 6, dead last.

The final is a total disaster - Real against a UAE team that somehow got by River Plate in penalties (reminder of the advantage that home teams have in penalties). So after all that drama with the Buenos Aires teams, a big airball for FIFA.

Auzzy
12-20-2018, 07:52 PM
Real handled Antlers 3-1 last night. Bale with a natural hat trick in 11 minutes. But Antlers kept it scoreless until almost halftime.

Esperance beat Chivas in penalties in the 5th place game. So Chivas finished 6th out of 6, dead last.

The final is a total disaster - Real against a UAE team that somehow got by River Plate in penalties (reminder of the advantage that home teams have in penalties). So after all that drama with the Buenos Aires teams, a big airball for FIFA.

I was going to say, I watched part of this game. Kashima Antlers kept the score fairly respectable, and Madrid wasn't exactly giving 110%. However Antlers looked pretty weak in defense on the goals they did give up, not much better than TFC's defense in 2017 as well as during 2018 CCL.

The UAE team actually looked decent against River Plate, nice goals and some great goalkeeping. I think FIFA will be pretty happy to have them in the final. That will bring in the local interest & a bit of excitement in the stadium. (I've seen some other CWC final rounds, with no local team, and it's often pretty dead.) And at least part of the rest of the world will be interested in Real hopefully scoring a bunch of goals.

ensco
12-20-2018, 08:19 PM
^I have only watched highlights, and I have to say, the Al Ain highlights against both Esperance and River were top shelf. Their keeper stood on his head against River.

But wow, what an upset, how River could lose to that team..

TFC1154ever
12-20-2018, 08:39 PM
I’m so happy they’re getting away with this format. The new format they’re proposing is a lot better, plus it will give the big clubs a bigger reason to try harder.

ensco
12-23-2018, 09:19 AM
Just to close this out, Real Madrid waltzed in the final 4-1. I only watched the highlights, it looked more one sided than that.

This Al Ain team, ten days ago, was losing 3-0 at halftime to something called Team Wellington (not the Phoenix) in the play in game, and somehow got to play in a final against Real Madrid.

MightyDM
12-23-2018, 08:42 PM
Just to close this out, Real Madrid waltzed in the final 4-1. I only watched the highlights, it looked more one sided than that.

This Al Ain team, ten days ago, was losing 3-0 at halftime to something called Team Wellington (not the Phoenix) in the play in game, and somehow got to play in a final against Real Madrid.

what might have been. What might have been.

TFC1986
12-23-2018, 10:27 PM
Vegas knights?

No team should have to make their run to the top so easy! And any one who says the worst sports market in North America says otherwise can go eat shit and die!

Auzzy
12-24-2018, 01:07 AM

And Jair Marrufo was the ref for the final!