PDA

View Full Version : TFC 2018-2019 player off season moves/speculation/rumours

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

Super
11-16-2018, 03:15 PM
Whether the DP costs $8M or $1.51M it shouldn't make any difference because the cap hit is the same and MLSE can afford a few bucks on players. The bottom line is winning and who will help that happen.

Does Seba give us a better chance at winning than not having him? Yes.

Could we get better for less? Maybe.

Could we land a dud and balls up another season? Possibly.

It matters if we can use that 8 million dollars to get a more effective player. We always need to take that into consideration.

Ultra & Proud
11-16-2018, 04:11 PM
It matters if we can use that 8 million dollars to get a more effective player. We always need to take that into consideration.

Potentially a more effective player. No guarantees unless you sign someone MLS proven. Every high priced DP brought in has risks. Who would have thought Pirlo would be NASL caliber when he got to NYC? Or the procession of DP underachievers who consistently failed Orlando? With Giovinco you have a proven commodity and you know what you're going to get; top 10 in goals, top 10 in assists, and pretty durable considering his size and how much he gets roughed up.

ensco
11-16-2018, 04:29 PM
Part of me wonders if MLSE want to blow it up, and might be more interested in this Saudi idea than Seba is.

This sank beneath the waves at the time, but I do wonder what exact "distractions" and "agendas" Bradley was talking about here

https://torontosun.com/sports/soccer/mls/toronto-fc/bradley-says-distractions-agendas-helped-spur-on-tfcs-descent

stevep
11-16-2018, 04:36 PM
Probably the least believable club he's been linked to yet.

at first I agreed with you, however now I have my doubts. this story may be true.

since 2015 he has been here 4 years at $7M per seaon 28M USD $37M CDN

howerver half of that money is taxed away so he is left with $19M CDN

if he goes to Saudi for same money for 3 years that would be $28M CDN
but here is the kicker: he would pay $0 in taxes so he would have another $28M in the bank after 3 years
vs $14M CDN after taxes in Canada

Is it worth it to do this to your family for $14M dollars more??
that is 3 years of your young children's life

plus most of these stories are BS designed to keep the buzz going to sell tickets

Ultra & Proud
11-16-2018, 05:32 PM
This sank beneath the waves at the time, but I do wonder what exact "distractions" and "agendas" Bradley was talking about here

https://torontosun.com/sports/soccer/mls/toronto-fc/bradley-says-distractions-agendas-helped-spur-on-tfcs-descent

I am sure Seba's contract is one of the agendas. Seba brought up his contract in the middle of the season if I recall and that's going to cause a struggling team more distractions than it needs. That's an issue for sure but we were already fairly sunk by that point. Altidore was quieter about it but it wouldn't shock me if he let his contract status affect himself and the team. He was a bit odd all year when he wasn't injured. All conjecture but I am not sure about VDW's attitude either. Considering his talent level it would be hard to say he was giving his all. Bring in some high priced floaters and that can have a negative effect on the lower paid younger guys busting balls on a daily basis to right the ship.

For sure lots of issues throughout the squad but I think 2019 will probably be the last kick at this can. That's probably why no contract extensions yet. Have to see how it goes before deciding the 2020 direction and with MLS evolving every year now we have to change with it fast or get left behind like has happened to a lot teams in the past decade.

SirBobSaget
11-17-2018, 12:05 AM
at first I agreed with you, however now I have my doubts. this story may be true.

since 2015 he has been here 4 years at $7M per seaon 28M USD $37M CDN

howerver half of that money is taxed away so he is left with $19M CDN

if he goes to Saudi for same money for 3 years that would be $28M CDN
but here is the kicker: he would pay $0 in taxes so he would have another $28M in the bank after 3 years
vs $14M CDN after taxes in Canada

Is it worth it to do this to your family for $14M dollars more??
that is 3 years of your young children's life

plus most of these stories are BS designed to keep the buzz going to sell tickets

But after 2019 he wont be offered 7 million from any MLS club. So he can get his 7 this year (3.5 post tax). Or TFC can collect a transfer fee now and Seba can sign an extended contract with the Saudi team, heck lets say for 4 years. then he clears 28 million more and retires rather than 3.5 + ???.

It makes sense, why earn less in MLS or Italy, SA is a 6 hour flight from Italy, might as well move the family back and earn the last big paycheck.

OgtheDim
11-17-2018, 12:19 AM
That information looked more like somebody in management talking about their wish list - their's a certain amount of quiet but chest out bravado involved in business in the Middle East.

"Oh, yeah, we are going for him. And this guy is our next target. "

Translation

"We are professionals and serious."

I suspect the target of this talk is the financial backers of the team.

Still Kicking
11-18-2018, 11:34 AM
IF there is interest in Seba from China or Saudi Arabia remember that he has another season with TFC. It seems that folks in this thread are approaching his future as if he and his agent are shopping him around and making decisions. That would only hold true if he signs nothing from TFC in the year ahead and finishes his contract.
Fact is that TFC would be the ones shopping him around right now. It is the potential contract auction that would be of interest to them. Trouble is that if you sell Seba now, you had better have another name waiting in the wings. If you hold onto him and hope TFC 2019 is a rebound year, then Seba is going to be part of the success and will get a new TFC contract. If you hold onto him and TFC 2019 is another stinker, then selling him in the summer (eg Saudi Arabia football season is August to April) means a smaller return.

MightyDM
11-18-2018, 09:38 PM
I am sure Seba's contract is one of the agendas. Seba brought up his contract in the middle of the season if I recall and that's going to cause a struggling team more distractions than it needs. That's an issue for sure but we were already fairly sunk by that point. Altidore was quieter about it but it wouldn't shock me if he let his contract status affect himself and the team. He was a bit odd all year when he wasn't injured. All conjecture but I am not sure about VDW's attitude either. Considering his talent level it would be hard to say he was giving his all. Bring in some high priced floaters and that can have a negative effect on the lower paid younger guys busting balls on a daily basis to right the ship. (more)

i think you are right. there is more to it, but this rings true, particularly VDW and Jozy.

OgtheDim
11-18-2018, 11:29 PM
Read a report by a journo that VDW was vocal in the dressing room taking a leadership role when Moor was out - but that info only came out at the end of the season.

The yelling during the game he and Seba did back in August(?) might have been a good thing.

jabbronies
11-19-2018, 12:25 PM
Whether the DP costs $8M or $1.51M it shouldn't make any difference because the cap hit is the same and MLSE can afford a few bucks on players. The bottom line is winning and who will help that happen.

Does Seba give us a better chance at winning than not having him? Yes.

Could we get better for less? Maybe.

Could we land a dud and balls up another season? Possibly.

Your crystal ball sucks. We need more concrete answers than this lol

Areathrasher
11-19-2018, 04:26 PM
So Jorge Jesus confirmed the interest in Seba

Jonathan Soriano and Sebastian Giovinco, two players with European football experience, are Al Hilal's clear objectives for the January market, confirmed Jorge Jesus in an interview with the newspaper A Bola .
"At first hand I will say that Al Hilal is negotiating two players for January. They will be two starters, a Spaniard in China, Soriano, and an Italian who was considered the MLS best player, a short man from Toronto [Giovinco]. I do not know if it will be possible, "said the coach.
It is recalled that Soriano, advanced Spanish, was several times associated with Benfica in the years of command of Jorge Jesus.

http://www.zerozero.pt/news.php?id=235167

OgtheDim
11-19-2018, 06:47 PM
"A short man from Toronto"

C.Ronaldo
11-20-2018, 10:07 AM
So Jorge Jesus confirmed the interest in Seba

Jonathan Soriano and Sebastian Giovinco, two players with European football experience, are Al Hilal's clear objectives for the January market, confirmed Jorge Jesus in an interview with the newspaper A Bola .
"At first hand I will say that Al Hilal is negotiating two players for January. They will be two starters, a Spaniard in China, Soriano, and an Italian who was considered the MLS best player, a short man from Toronto [Giovinco]. I do not know if it will be possible, "said the coach.
It is recalled that Soriano, advanced Spanish, was several times associated with Benfica in the years of command of Jorge Jesus.

http://www.zerozero.pt/news.php?id=235167

as a sporting fan, how many times with Jorge Jesus screw me over

langilleski
11-20-2018, 10:15 AM
Sergio Leon linked to NYCFC and TFC.

https://as.com/futbol/2018/10/11/primera/1539269141_141614.html?id_externo_rsoc=comp_tw

notthesun
11-20-2018, 10:20 AM
Per Molinaro, Octavio Zambrano wants Osorio on loan next season for his Colombian team as they gear up for a Copa Libertadores run: https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/colombian-club-wants-tfcs-jonathan-osorio-loan-2019/

I don't see the point of loaning him immediately after signing him to a big contract. If he wants to go we should just sell him and get a nice transfer fee.

Areathrasher
11-20-2018, 11:05 AM
Zambrano is a cheeky fucker asking for a player on loan after said player signed a bumper extension.

ensco
11-20-2018, 01:18 PM
Hmmm. Very unusual and a clear violation of the code by which clubs operate. MLS should demand a retraction and an apology from the Colombian federation.

Somebody senses weakness somewhere.

OgtheDim
11-20-2018, 01:31 PM
Zambrano probably wants to play him as a defender.

kuku
11-20-2018, 04:23 PM
(Sam Stejskal) mlssoccer.com

Source tells me that the club is finalizing a deal to permanently acquire Auro from São Paulo. Ager Aketxe is unlikely to return in 2019......

Greatest Ripoff
11-20-2018, 04:48 PM
Zambrano probably wants to play him as a defender.

Either i’ve missed the joke or your talking about the wrong coach. Think you might have been referencing Benito Floro?

MightyDM
11-20-2018, 08:45 PM
Hmmm. Very unusual and a clear violation of the code by which clubs operate. MLS should demand a retraction and an apology from the Colombian federation.

Somebody senses weakness somewhere.

I have always found the Oso deal a bit odd. he is my favourite player on the club. And he earned the deal, no question - but how does it fit into the salary cap? And how is the club going to meet its expressed desire - and clear need - for pace in the midfield with Oso, Marky, Chapman, Fraser, VV, Bradley, etc? Love all of them but if you eliminated one and added, say, Raheem, you get a better team. So in that context, why give Oso the big bucks? is VV retiring? Marky going? eh? whats up?

ensco
11-20-2018, 10:40 PM
^I suspect you are right, there is a hidden story here.

Clubs just don’t do this. Players and agents lob grenades like this all the time, but clubs? Never.

Somebody can probably find a precedent of a club doing this without permission, but I cannot think of one.

Which means they may have had permission.

We will know soon.

Ultra & Proud
11-21-2018, 10:18 AM
Wouldn't be surprised to see Delgado get moved and Chapman is on his last legs at this club. Maybe he comes around like Osorio or maybe he is destined to be like Hamilton (fringe MLSer).

Beyond that, Bez repeatedly stated that you plan for 5 years down the road. Vasquez is gone after this season and possibly Bradley too. You have to be careful when a squad is at the end of it's cycle to do anything to balls up the next cycle. Letting Osorio walk would be a mistake like that.

kuku
11-21-2018, 10:51 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1010342619937845248/7qgRr1fk_bigger.jpgBlack Rock FC‏ @BlackRock_FC (https://twitter.com/BlackRock_FC)FollowFollow
@BlackRock_FC

More

Congrats to BRFC rising star Jacob Shaffelburg @jacobshaff (https://twitter.com/jacobshaff) on signing a multi-year professional contract with Toronto FC!

Areathrasher
11-21-2018, 10:55 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1010342619937845248/7qgRr1fk_bigger.jpgBlack Rock FC‏ @BlackRock_FC (https://twitter.com/BlackRock_FC)FollowFollow
@BlackRock_FC

More

Congrats to BRFC rising star Jacob Shaffelburg @jacobshaff (https://twitter.com/jacobshaff) on signing a multi-year professional contract with Toronto FC!

Found this on him from August, seems to be highly rated. I'm guessing maybe they have signed him on a USL deal to get him in the door.

acob Shaffelburg, the reigning Massachusetts Gatorade Player of the Year, has significant interest to sign a professional contract in Europe or with Major League Soccer, said a source with direct knowledge of the situation.
Shaffelburg, a Nova Scotia native entering his senior season at the Berkshire School, could sign with MLS and be eligible for the 2019 MLS SuperDraft in January. German clubs 1. FC Nürnberg, Werder Bremen and Fortuna Dusseldorf have also shown interest in the forward.
“I’m just going day by day with it,” Shaffelburg said by phone. “I haven’t thought too in depth yet, because my plan is to go to school in the fall and focus on that. I don’t want to get overwhelmed with it all. I want to focus on preseason in Costa Rica with Berkshire, and if anything happens before then it does.”

Yea, according to this its a TFC II deal

https://twitter.com/JonathanSigal/status/1064911829321900035

After starring at @BerkshireBears (https://twitter.com/BerkshireBears), Jacob Shaffelburg has signed with with TFC2.Unprecedented step going straight from prep school to pros. Canadian winger who's reigning Massachusetts Gatorade POY and formerly committed to Virginia

ensco
11-21-2018, 11:00 AM
Letting Osorio walk would be a mistake like that.

It's not that they are letting him walk, it's that the signing may have been done in a way that still gives Osorio options to explore moves like this.

Ultra & Proud
11-21-2018, 11:18 AM
It's not that they are letting him walk, it's that the signing may have been done in a way that still gives Osorio options to explore moves like this.

True but anything done with him might leave us short in 2020.

wynne
11-21-2018, 11:54 AM
https://twitter.com/joshuakloke/status/1065284127811923968?s=21

notthesun
11-21-2018, 11:59 AM
Juninho in town. Article also says we're working on extending Janson's loan, selling Aketxe, and Ricketts & Irwin's time here is likely up.

Areathrasher
11-21-2018, 12:14 PM
Juninho on cheap deal could be interesting. Has Liga MX experience too which I would be handy for CCL

OgtheDim
11-21-2018, 01:43 PM
I liked Juninho when he was in LA - never settled at the Fire who had way too many central midfielders - then got injured.

If this went through, we got way too many central midfielders.

notthesun
11-21-2018, 01:47 PM
If this went through, we got way too many central midfielders.

To a degree I doubt there is such a thing with the comments this off-season from management about changing the approach re: balancing CCL and MLS play.

I expect heavy, heavy rotation early in the year so I can totally see having 6-8 guys for 3-4 midfield spots as being part of the plan.

ensco
11-21-2018, 01:51 PM
Juninho. Huh.

I am getting more worried about Osorio by the hour.

ensco
11-21-2018, 02:03 PM
I expect heavy, heavy rotation early in the year so I can totally see having 6-8 guys for 3-4 midfield spots as being part of the plan.

You can’t do that when you have the roster construction we have. Juninho would make serious money, he is a TAM player.

notthesun
11-21-2018, 02:07 PM
You can’t do that when you have the roster construction we have. Juninho would make serious money, he is a TAM player.

If we sell Aketxe then Juninho is just taking his spot as a TAM player, except he's usable. I can still see it.

Areathrasher
11-21-2018, 02:07 PM

Not when he hasn't played for a year cos of injury. He's reclamation project at this stage.

ensco
11-21-2018, 02:31 PM
Not when he hasn't played for a year cos of injury. He's reclamation project at this stage.

He may be a reclamation project but he made $700K plus in Chicago. Even if not TAM, he'll still be close to a full use of cap slot (ie $400-500K).

He can't be a project or a depth player on a team with at least 5 other guys at max cap hit.

Areathrasher
11-21-2018, 02:47 PM
He may be a reclamation project but he made $700K plus in Chicago. Even if not TAM, he'll still be close to a full use of cap slot (ie $400-500K).

He can't be a project or a depth player on a team with at least 5 other guys at max cap hit.

He'll get a 1 year prove yourself deal.

While he's been rehabbing all year he was still being paid by Xolos who he was on loan from with the Fire. He signed a three year deal with Xolos in 2015.

Ultra & Proud
11-21-2018, 02:55 PM
He'll get a 1 year prove yourself deal.

While he's been rehabbing all year he was still being paid by Xolos who he was on loan from with the Fire. He signed a three year deal with Xolos in 2015.
I say probably in the $250-$300K range for a season possibly with an option. No way after 1 season off and after what he did with the Fire he gets anything near a max non-DP contract without hitting the pitch at all since 2017.

RealG-TFC
11-21-2018, 03:19 PM
If I'm not misaken Juninho has a good strike from distance, which was the main selling point of Aketxe.

reggie
11-21-2018, 03:26 PM
i doubt they bring him in for a medical if he isnt close to signing.250 300 max for me.he is only 29..seem a lot older,he will add a little bite to the midfield which they lack.if he signs.

Ultra & Proud
11-21-2018, 04:14 PM
Makes sense as I bet we will be tight against the cap again and it was stressed big time that the squad rotation has to improve heading into 2019. These lower wage veteran reclamation projects are a lot safer an option than the Aketxe or VDW type deals. Way more upside and if we just use him for the one 'prove yourself' season before he potentially moves on to greener pastures then so be it.

MightyDM
11-21-2018, 05:40 PM
Juninho. Huh.

I am getting more worried about Osorio by the hour.

I think he is going to Columbia on loan. Sort of a trial balloon to have other team float it. Then be back a better player in a year and able to take over for VV (in managements mind). Nothing else makes much sense

MightyDM
11-21-2018, 06:03 PM
Read this yesterday in article about Neymar’s injury: “Research conducted by the Times suggests that 52 of the 84 Premier league” players who played on the knockout rounds of the World Cup have been injured since. If you want to see the whole article it’s at the Guradian site - Neymar injury. I quoted some and paraphrased some. Puts our problems in perspective, and we wouldn’t be the first league to ignore player safety - Lloyd Moesby’s career was cut short due to back issues from turf and tony Fernández got a horrible injury too.

ensco
11-21-2018, 08:31 PM
If I'm not misaken Juninho has a good strike from distance, which was the main selling point of Aketxe.

You have the wrong Juninho I think. This one was a deadly free kick taker
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juninho_Pernambucano

You are not really a club until you have had both a Julio Cesar and a Juninho.

Areathrasher
11-21-2018, 09:36 PM
You have the wrong Juninho I think. This one was a deadly free kick taker
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juninho_Pernambucano

You are not really a club until you have had both a Julio Cesar and a Juninho.

Nope, Real G was right. This Juninho had a penchant for scoring from outside the box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdRr6PcqNXY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3R9yKpZwBY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YvI4Gxe4n8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ayuoi5-E9WE

SirBobSaget
11-21-2018, 10:14 PM

I think you're right. Osorio I'm sure wants to see how he measure up in Europe/SA. He could have let his contract expire and sign anywhere on a free. But that's a leap of faith. With the TFC contract and he has some insurance, a fall back in case the move to the other club backfires.

TFC could have lost him and any potential transfer fee so their position wasn't the best.

Maybe there was an agreement to allow Osorio to test other leagues, if it works out TFC makes some transfer money, if it doesn't he continues on with TFC.

ensco
11-21-2018, 11:22 PM
Nope, Real G was right. This Juninho had a penchant for scoring from outside the box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdRr6PcqNXY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3R9yKpZwBY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YvI4Gxe4n8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ayuoi5-E9WE

My bad. There are a lot of Juninhos out there

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juninho

Also a Seninho, as old timers will recall

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seninho

Ossington Mental Youth
11-22-2018, 01:28 AM
Am I the only one that doesn't really rate the Colombian league? Have no doubt the top end is good and competing in Copa Libertadores but are middle Bottom end really that much better/competitive? Also any guarantee that DIM would go far? That he's more likely to be discovered by Europe in Colombia than in MLS? Asking honestly here. I could see Mexico or even Argentina being a step up but not as convinced by the Colombian league

Defoe
11-22-2018, 02:00 AM
I think you're right. Osorio I'm sure wants to see how he measure up in Europe/SA. He could have let his contract expire and sign anywhere on a free. But that's a leap of faith. With the TFC contract and he has some insurance, a fall back in case the move to the other club backfires.

TFC could have lost him and any potential transfer fee so their position wasn't the best.

Maybe there was an agreement to allow Osorio to test other leagues, if it works out TFC makes some transfer money, if it doesn't he continues on with TFC.

Why would he want to go to South America? Brazil and Argentina leagues are good and the quality might still be a little better then MLS, but why go when you have guaranteed minutes at a good team in MLS?

It seems risky with little reward.

I can see why players would want to go improve their careers and join La Liga, EPL, Serie A, Ligue 1, Germany or Portugal team and maybe a top team outside of the big leagues like Besiktas or perhaps Russia... but moving to Holland, Mexico, China, Argentina or Brazil seems lateral or not just slightly ahead.

portu
11-22-2018, 04:57 AM
Why would he want to go to South America? Brazil and Argentina leagues are good and the quality might still be a little better then MLS, but why go when you have guaranteed minutes at a good team in MLS?

I can see why players would want to go improve their careers and join La Liga, EPL, Serie A, Ligue 1, Germany or Portugal team and maybe a top team outside of the big leagues like Besiktas or perhaps Russia... but moving to Holland, Mexico, China, Argentina or Brazil seems lateral or not just slightly ahead.
Surely we couldn't fault Oso if he moved to Ajax, PSV, Boca, River Plate, Sao Paulo, etc etc

portu
11-22-2018, 05:07 AM
Juninho looks like an expensive risk that we are not in a position to take at the moment.

Glad to see Irwin and Ricketts are being shown the door.

I think Patterson-Sewel is more than capable of taking up the back-up role and therefore see bringing in a guy from Sao Paulo as unnecessary.

Very happy to see they are working to get Auro permanently.

A Janson loan extension would be good, but likely indicates that either the club don't think he's DP calibre or that we aren't getting rid of a DP.

Moving Osorio on loan anywhere is ridiculous to me as we get literally nothing out of it, especially since I doubt we'd get a substantial loan fee.

Aketxe is probably the stupidest signing Bez has ever made.

I'd be upset to see Seba leave before his contract is up, but I don't think he should be given a long-term extension either so I'd understand if the club moved him.

ensco
11-22-2018, 07:06 AM
Altidore tea leaves on Twitter overnight...

Gignac re-upped at Tigres, and re tweets the club announcement with a nice jpg telling all his happiness and gratitude. Altidore replies “Congrats, see you very soon...”, using Gignac's nickname and some emojis that, maybe, imply a secret or something?

Which Gignac replies to one minute later, with his own nickname for Jozy (“the Monster”), with same “see you very soon language” and weird emojis... it is only one of the two tweets, out of hundreds that Gignac's post gets, that Gignac replies to

https://twitter.com/jozyaltidore/status/1065459121690820608?s=21

Now both are in CCL again, so they could mean that, although the draws aren’t set, and they are in the same pot, so no chance TFC play Tigres in first round .....

Initial B
11-22-2018, 08:39 AM
It could be they expect to play in the finals. g:D

Areathrasher
11-22-2018, 09:28 AM

He's said in the past that given his Colombian roots and his time with Nacional that he'd like another crack in South America one day.

Areathrasher
11-22-2018, 09:32 AM
Am I the only one that doesn't really rate the Colombian league? Have no doubt the top end is good and competing in Copa Libertadores but are middle Bottom end really that much better/competitive? Also any guarantee that DIM would go far? That he's more likely to be discovered by Europe in Colombia than in MLS? Asking honestly here. I could see Mexico or even Argentina being a step up but not as convinced by the Colombian league

Who sells more players to Europe, Colombia or MLS?

Ajax alone have bought 3 players straight from Colombia in the last 2 and half years.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-22-2018, 11:41 AM
Who sells more players to Europe, Colombia or MLS?

Ajax alone have bought 3 players straight from Colombia in the last 2 and half years.

Totally fair.

stevep
11-22-2018, 12:32 PM
Juninho looks like an expensive risk that we are not in a position to take at the moment.

Glad to see Irwin and Ricketts are being shown the door.

I think Patterson-Sewel is more than capable of taking up the back-up role and therefore see bringing in a guy from Sao Paulo as unnecessary.

Very happy to see they are working to get Auro permanently.

A Janson loan extension would be good, but likely indicates that either the club don't think he's DP calibre or that we aren't getting rid of a DP.

Moving Osorio on loan anywhere is ridiculous to me as we get literally nothing out of it, especially since I doubt we'd get a substantial loan fee.

Aketxe is probably the stupidest signing Bez has ever made.

I'd be upset to see Seba leave before his contract is up, but I don't think he should be given a long-term extension either so I'd understand if the club moved him.

where did you see Tois leaving? I can't find it anywhere on the internet??

OgtheDim
11-22-2018, 12:33 PM

Kloke in the Athletic

Areathrasher
11-22-2018, 12:49 PM
Altidore tea leaves on Twitter overnight...

Gignac re-upped at Tigres, and re tweets the club announcement with a nice jpg telling all his happiness and gratitude. Altidore replies “Congrats, see you very soon...”, using Gignac's nickname and some emojis that, maybe, imply a secret or something?

Which Gignac replies to one minute later, with his own nickname for Jozy (“the Monster”), with same “see you very soon language” and weird emojis... it is only one of the two tweets, out of hundreds that Gignac's post gets, that Gignac replies to

https://twitter.com/jozyaltidore/status/1065459121690820608?s=21

Now both are in CCL again, so they could mean that, although the draws aren’t set, and they are in the same pot, so no chance TFC play Tigres in first round .....

Tigres fans are having some fun with this.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DsngqccV4AIVNld.jpg

And the BS rumor accounts are running with it
https://twitter.com/Futboles_Pasion/status/1065642106264252416

KGH
11-22-2018, 01:29 PM
Whats interesting is it says in exchange for Duenas and Valencia...

Areathrasher
11-22-2018, 01:38 PM
Whats interesting is it says in exchange for Duenas and Valencia...

This lad is saying Valencia and Sosa...

https://twitter.com/PolancoESA/status/1065671673951723520

MightyDM
11-22-2018, 01:48 PM
jozy is a beast . would be very very sad to lose him. Very

kuku
11-22-2018, 02:05 PM
I like Jozy but this deal is too good to pass up.

Areathrasher
11-22-2018, 02:29 PM
I like Jozy but this deal is too good to pass up.

Which one? Valencia Duenas or Valencia Sosa?

Sosa is basically a much older Janson

portu
11-22-2018, 02:33 PM
Why does Jozy have to be a fucking swap deal, just sell the guy for god sake. Valencia is nice but can obviously do better.

Defoe
11-22-2018, 03:01 PM
Please be Enner Valencia

notthesun
11-22-2018, 03:03 PM
Why does Jozy have to be a fucking swap deal, just sell the guy for god sake. Valencia is nice but can obviously do better.

This swap makes a ton of sense if we're switching to a 4-3-3 as the primary look.

Also, just saying, you could have word for word said the same thing about the Defoe for Altidore swap... it's not necessarily a bad idea.

kuku
11-22-2018, 03:07 PM
Which one? Valencia Duenas or Valencia Sosa?

Sosa is basically a much older Janson

The Valencia, Duenas one.

notthesun
11-22-2018, 03:08 PM
https://www.football-italia.net/131054/agent-giovinco-wants-toronto

Giovinco's agent speaking again about Giovinco's desire to stay with TFC. But this is new information: he says we have an option on Giovinco's contract after this season.

reggie
11-22-2018, 03:25 PM
it would be stupid to let him go on free.sell him now or sign him

Ossington Mental Youth
11-22-2018, 04:38 PM

Think the writing has been on the way for a min. Lovely fella, great Canadian but a sprinter who happens to play soccer professionally. Served his purpose last season but is no longer of use.

Areathrasher
11-26-2018, 09:03 AM
So today is the day for the options to be released....

Still Kicking
11-26-2018, 11:23 AM
So today is the day for the options to be released....

Vancouver has dropped the option on Brek Shea. Thought his overuse was the reason Robinson was fired? Or was that the reason he was in VWC 2018 season?

notthesun
11-26-2018, 11:54 AM
Zambrano is speaking again about Osorio: https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/colombian-club-waits-hear-tfc-osorio-loan-request/

Now saying he's made the loan request with TFC and is waiting to hear back.

He is really publicly banging this drum. Maybe Osorio wants to go and we want to keep him, so Zambrano is turning to the press to pressure Bez?

I find this very weird with how seemingly transparent Zambrano is being.

portu
11-26-2018, 11:57 AM
Zambrano is speaking again about Osorio: https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/colombian-club-waits-hear-tfc-osorio-loan-request/

He is really publicly banging this drum. Maybe Osorio wants to go and we want to keep him, so Zambrano is turning to the press to pressure Bez?

I will be very disappointed in the weakness of the front office if they let Oso go on loan

Jack
11-26-2018, 12:33 PM

Osorio doesn't want to go anywhere and is focused on getting healed up, rested and ready to go for the CCL.

Also, there's no way I can see the TFC brass letting him go on loan for a year after just signing that big contract.

Gringo Starr
11-26-2018, 12:45 PM
For me the timing doesn't work, I don't mind a loan if its what Oso wants to do, but I want Oso for another Champs league run which would run past the March time frame he is wanted for

Defoe
11-26-2018, 01:52 PM
Osorio doesn't want to go anywhere and is focused on getting healed up, rested and ready to go for the CCL.

Also, there's no way I can see the TFC brass letting him go on loan for a year after just signing that big contract.

TFC/MLS is a better league/team then Indepentiente Medellin/Columbia Liga Agulia in my opinion... And even if this team is on par with middle league MLS teams it just seems so lateral for Osorio unless i'm way off base here.

notthesun
11-26-2018, 03:31 PM
Aaaaaaaanytime now with the roster decisions announcement TFC....

Shway
11-26-2018, 03:41 PM
Seriously lol, I keep going back and forth between sites in hope of some update.

Areathrasher
11-26-2018, 03:42 PM
Aaaaaaaanytime now with the roster decisions announcement TFC....

Soon apparently

https://twitter.com/Eric_Giacometti/status/1067154627634827294

Gringo Starr
11-26-2018, 03:42 PM
Not soon enough

Ultra & Proud
11-26-2018, 04:14 PM
Better see that buyout on Zavaleta.

Him staying here for around $300K is a disgrace.

TFC1154ever
11-26-2018, 04:14 PM
Is today the roster decision day deadline? If not, when?

Areathrasher
11-26-2018, 04:44 PM
Is today the roster decision day deadline? If not, when?

Yea, it's today for teams not in the playoffs. They had to inform the league office by 1PM

Areathrasher
11-26-2018, 06:07 PM
Won't be any news release today

portu
11-26-2018, 06:09 PM
Won't be any news release today
Why not?

Areathrasher
11-26-2018, 06:29 PM
I'm just passing on the message

Gringo Starr
11-26-2018, 06:32 PM
I'm just passing on the message
Thanks for the updates

notthesun
11-26-2018, 06:54 PM
I am underwhelmed.

James17930
11-26-2018, 08:34 PM
TFC/MLS is a better league/team then Indepentiente Medellin/Columbia Liga Agulia in my opinion... And even if this team is on par with middle league MLS teams it just seems so lateral for Osorio unless i'm way off base here.

That's what I was thinking too. If it was Mexico or a Euro league I could see it, but MLS must be much better than Colombia.

Unless ... Is this club qualified for the Copa Libratatores (sp)?

Areathrasher
11-26-2018, 09:31 PM
What reason do people have for presuming MLS is better than the Colombian league? I mean they export way more players to Europe* than MLS and since the turn of the century they have had clubs win continental competitions.

* And that's not even accounting for the Colombian dudes that go to Brazil/Argentina and then to Europe.

OgtheDim
11-26-2018, 10:06 PM
Been a long few weeks without any TFC info beyond rumours and agent talk & Zambrano.

Would be nice to finally get some specifics- was looking forward to this day actually. Oh well....

SirBobSaget
11-26-2018, 11:17 PM
What reason do people have for presuming MLS is better than the Colombian league? I mean they export way more players to Europe* than MLS and since the turn of the century they have had clubs win continental competitions.

* And that's not even accounting for the Colombian dudes that go to Brazil/Argentina and then to Europe.

I don't know if that's an argument the Colombian league is better than MLS. Sure the young player with potential get transferred out, that's proof their is talent coming up through Columbia. But if all the quality players leave then what level of quality remains?

Areathrasher
11-27-2018, 09:06 AM
I don't know if that's an argument the Colombian league is better than MLS. Sure the young player with potential get transferred out, that's proof their is talent coming up through Columbia. But if all the quality players leave then what level of quality remains?

It's a conveyor belt. One leaves another steps in.

ensco
11-27-2018, 10:00 AM
Colombia is a much better league than MLS in terms of player development. But MLS is a magnet for mature players because of salary/lifestyle.

I am guessing that they are similar level competitively, on balance.

Oso is 26, he wouldn’t be going to be discovered. He would be going because it’s Copa Libertadores, it’s Colombia, and he knows/likes Zambrano, I guess? (This last point amuses me. Zambrano didn’t rate Oso on CMNT, he mostly rode the pines)

If Jonathan wants to go, I want him to go. He has put in a good shift here, he deserves some consideration, and I would like to think this club is a volunteer army.

ag futbol
11-27-2018, 10:04 AM
Not true, to my recollection re: Zambrano / Osorio. He brought him back into the team after being frozen out by Floro. He was trending towards getting more minutes.

ensco
11-27-2018, 10:10 AM
Not true, to my recollection re: Zambrano / Osorio. He brought him back into the team after being frozen out by Floro. He was trending towards getting more minutes.

You could be right. I admit to confusing Florio and Zambrano CMNT moves before

Areathrasher
11-27-2018, 10:11 AM

Yup.

Toronto FC has agreed to terminate the contract of midfielder Ager Aketxe by mutual consent.

Whooo boy....

Toronto FC announced Tuesday the following roster moves.
Toronto FC has exercised the contract options on goalkeeper Caleb Patterson-Sewell; defenders Ashtone Morgan, Drew Moor, Nick Hagglund, Julian Dunn and midfielders Jay Chapman, Ryan Telfer and Aidan Daniels.
Toronto FC has not exercised options on goalkeeper Clint Irwin and forward Tosaint Ricketts. Defender Jason Hernandez and forward Jordan Hamilton will both be out of contract at the end of the year. Hernandez is eligible for free agency.
The loan deals for defender Auro Jr. and forward Lucas Janson will both expire on December 31. In addition, Toronto FC has agreed to terminate the contract of midfielder Ager Aketxe by mutual consent.

ensco
11-27-2018, 10:14 AM
Ashtone Morgan is coming back!

OgtheDim
11-27-2018, 10:21 AM
Auro & Janson loans expiring but...will they be extended?

Areathrasher
11-27-2018, 10:23 AM
Auro & Janson loans expiring but...will they be extended?

Brazilian press seem to think Auro to TFC permanently is a done deal. Sam Skjestal backed that up last week. Auro posted a pic of him and his agent/agency posing with a TFC jersey yesterday, like they were celebrating a done deal.

Ben - D.O.W.
11-27-2018, 10:25 AM
So does that mean Jordan Hamilton ends up in the re-entry draft?

woolly
11-27-2018, 10:29 AM
Yup.

Whooo boy....

No surprises there, except I think we're all glad to be out of the Aketxe deal.

Still a little sad that Tos probably wont be back. He was clutch in our run for the cup but really stagnated this year when it became obvious that he wasn't going to make the first team.

notthesun
11-27-2018, 10:30 AM
Good that we got out from Aketxe's deal. Curious to see if we bring Hamilton back or not. Either way I hope we move Bakero, don't want him getting in the way of potential minutes for Akinola.

edit: Kloke speculated in a tweet that the chances of Hamilton returning are slim.

Areathrasher
11-27-2018, 10:35 AM
Wouldn't surprise me if Hamilton is announced by a CPL side in the coming days...

portu
11-27-2018, 10:58 AM
Really disappointed they exercised Moor's option, would have been a good opportunity to get out of a hefty contract with a 35 year old that spent most of last season injured.

portu
11-27-2018, 10:59 AM
Also with Ricketts and Hamilton gone you have to believe they are going to be looking for a solid striker this off season

DinamoTFC
11-27-2018, 11:02 AM
Really disappointed they exercised Moor's option, would have been a good opportunity to get out of a hefty contract with a 35 year old that spent most of last season injured.

Moor has taken a pay cut the first 2years in order to help TFC management secure other top players which lead to us winning a championship. Although injured he was still a huge difference maker when he did play. The hope is with a proper recovery he will be fit for more games and truthfully I still think we will get another defender and Moor will become depth as the season goes on. I think this is a good move.

Also the real move is we need to trade and get rid of Zavaleta and his hefty salary. An old moor is better than a prime zavaleta.

paul-collins
11-27-2018, 11:07 AM
Yeah let's get rid of the central defender who, when he played for us in 2017, contributed to the league best goals against. We all know quad tears are endemic to being old.

JFC

C.Ronaldo
11-27-2018, 11:20 AM
Wouldn't surprise me if Hamilton is announced by a CPL side in the coming days...
i hope so, the kid needs starting minutes and lots of them

ag futbol
11-27-2018, 12:01 PM
Next move: bring back Raheem!

Oldtimer
11-27-2018, 12:08 PM

Glad to see. He embodies perseverance and is a tie between current TFC and its history.

Gringo Starr
11-27-2018, 12:36 PM
So where does Agar rank in terms of worst pick up ever, he has to be Bez's biggest misfire

Gringo Starr
11-27-2018, 12:41 PM

I'd go watch him if he ended up with the York Nines, he'd be a bit of name recognition for them

Initial B
11-27-2018, 01:10 PM
Also the real move is we need to trade and get rid of Zavaleta and his hefty salary. An old moor is better than a prime zavaleta.
Did you notice there was no mention of Zavaleta in the roster moves. Is he still under contract? If so, then this year he either improves or gets traded/released. Anything else is nepotism.

I wonder if Ricketts or Hamilton end up with Ottawa...

portu
11-27-2018, 01:12 PM
Yeah let's get rid of the central defender who, when he played for us in 2017, contributed to the league best goals against. We all know quad tears are endemic to being old.

JFC

Is this in the right thread? Last I checked it's 2018 and we're 3 months off the 2019 season.

If we're going to reward guys for their 2017 performances then people need to step off the Zavs, Hagglund, Bono, Delgado and Ricketts criticisms.

TFC1154ever
11-27-2018, 01:13 PM

This. Guys contract is horrible, and so is he. Been saying this for 3 years now. Can’t buy him out now, so only thing we can do is trade him. But Vanney has a hard on for this kid, so he will stick around for another year.

Joe Kool
11-27-2018, 01:24 PM
I saw Ricketts courtside at the Raps on Sunday. I guess MLSE using it's different assets to soften the blow...

jabbronies
11-27-2018, 01:26 PM
Is this in the right thread? Last I checked it's 2018 and we're 3 months off the 2019 season.

If we're going to reward guys for their 2017 performances then people need to step off the Zavs, Hagglund, Bono, Delgado and Ricketts criticisms.

I think the point he's making is:

Even though he's 35, age had nothing to do with last seasons injury issues. A quad tear is common at all ages in soccer. Also - it's not like he's an injury prone player. He had one other major injury in his career - but bounced back from that and helped TFC to 2 MLS cup finals - both years posting increasingly better defensive stats.

He was out last year and look how abysmal the defence was. There is no evidence to say that he will be useless this year enough to dump him. Finding a player like him in the world is extremely difficult and there are not many like him in the league that teams would be willing to part with (Think the likes of Zimmerman, Opara)

jabbronies
11-27-2018, 01:27 PM
I saw Ricketts courtside at the Raps on Sunday. I guess MLSE using it's different assets to soften the blow...

or he's taking advantage of the perks before they are gone.

notthesun
11-27-2018, 01:51 PM
Did you notice there was no mention of Zavaleta in the roster moves. Is he still under contract? If so, then this year he either improves or gets traded/released. Anything else is nepotism.

Zavaleta signed a multi-year extension after we won MLS Cup.

Oldtimer
11-27-2018, 01:52 PM

They could still re-sign him to a lower contract.

DinamoTFC
11-27-2018, 02:14 PM

He was resigned, unfortunately, sometime during this past season so hes under contract thats why there was no mention in the report.

jazzy
11-27-2018, 02:29 PM
If Zavelta stays , It’ll mean a mediocre season at best next year , shame . Mgrs have to be more cutthroat to win in this league . Team has to many mediocre players , at this point . Drew Moor has to get help and / or Mavinga has to be healthy . You can’t have both Hagglund and Zav.

Section_105
11-27-2018, 02:36 PM
So where does Agar rank in terms of worst pick up ever, he has to be Bez's biggest misfire
Mista will probably always hold the mantle of worst pick up ever in terms of value for money. :)

Section_105
11-27-2018, 03:03 PM
I think Ricky knew what was coming. He's been very unhappy and that has affected his performance this year as he really needs to be in a confident place to play well. Sad to see him go but he might be too delicate to play at this level. (watch him go to MTL and score 5 on us this year....)

noimpactinmtl
11-27-2018, 03:08 PM

I rank Kantari lower than Aketxe as a signing. At least they were both defensible considering their contexts.

MightyDM
11-27-2018, 03:25 PM

Excellent

ensco
11-27-2018, 03:37 PM
All those people who want us to dump Moor and, say, trade for Waston and pay him $750K .... those are the kinds of moves that got us in cap trouble last year, but worked in 2017.

It is a tough call. There is risk in dropping him or keeping him. But I wouldn't conclude that keeping him is a de facto sign of weakness, or lack of imagination.

TFC should have a good handle on Moor's fitness. That is our edge.

Gringo Starr
11-27-2018, 03:39 PM
Mista will probably always hold the mantle of worst pick up ever in terms of value for money. :)
I don't know Mista had that one Champions league goal...

paul-collins
11-27-2018, 03:41 PM

I think the point he's making is:

Even though he's 35, age had nothing to do with last seasons injury issues. A quad tear is common at all ages in soccer. Also - it's not like he's an injury prone player. He had one other major injury in his career - but bounced back from that and helped TFC to 2 MLS cup finals - both years posting increasingly better defensive stats.

He was out last year and look how abysmal the defence was. There is no evidence to say that he will be useless this year enough to dump him.

Yes, that's exactly what I was saying. There are some here who were ready to dump Moor last year while we were in the midst of giving up half the goals we scored. Now Portu has stepped back into that line of thinking based on how we shipped goals this year *in his absence.* Drew can't win with some of the posters here.

... there's no logic to dropping Moor without a defined replacement plan. None.

ensco
11-27-2018, 03:44 PM
I don't know Mista had that one Champions league goal...

Cruz Azul. I was there.

Hamilton_Red
11-27-2018, 04:45 PM

Jermaine Defoe was the biggest let down for me. DeGuzman a close second.

notthesun
11-27-2018, 04:45 PM
Hamilton responding to Kloke's suggestion is he likely on the way out:

https://twitter.com/jayhams/status/1067516246361554944

MightyDM
11-27-2018, 05:00 PM
Jermaine Defoe was the biggest let down for me. DeGuzman a close second.

All Defoe did was score goals, until a serious injury and the club turbulence. And all DeGuzman did was what he was good at. On the list of TFC disappointments, they are no where near the top.

Voodooman
11-27-2018, 05:01 PM
Interesting developments......

MightyDM
11-27-2018, 05:02 PM
All those people who want us to dump Moor and, say, trade for Waston and pay him $750K .... those are the kinds of moves that got us in cap trouble last year, but worked in 2017.

It is a tough call. There is risk in dropping him or keeping him. But I wouldn't conclude that keeping him is a de facto sign of weakness, or lack of imagination.

TFC should have a good handle on Moor's fitness. That is our edge.

Moor can be a good keep. But two years ago he was sure looking like he lost a step. Or three. I’d be more worried about that than his fitness.

portu
11-27-2018, 05:12 PM
Yes, that's exactly what I was saying. There are some here who were ready to dump Moor last year while we were in the midst of giving up half the goals we scored. Now Portu has stepped back into that line of thinking based on how we shipped goals this year *in his absence.* Drew can't win with some of the posters here.

Stepped back into that line of thinking?

My issue is with his age (alongside everything that comes with that) and the size of his contract. A 35 year old centreback that, when healthy, was obviously losing a step and spent the majority of a final contract year injured, should not be re-upped at a similar number. Not to mention he struggled to recover from said injury.

Also: Picking up Waston would be even stupider than re-upping Moor.

Defoe
11-27-2018, 05:26 PM
We should start a rumour that Jonathan De Guzman is coming to TFC. Put it into the universe and see what happens.

ensco
11-27-2018, 05:27 PM
Stepped back into that line of thinking?

My issue is with his age (alongside everything that comes with that) and the size of his contract. A 35 year old centreback that, when healthy, was obviously losing a step and spent the majority of a final contract year injured, should not be re-upped at a similar number. Not to mention he struggled to recover from said injury.

Also: Picking up Waston would be even stupider than re-upping Moor.

We agree on that last point!

I see the risk, but not based on what you guys are saying.

This “obviously losing a step” thing for Moor, I don’t recall hearing much about that here in 2017 or 2018 CCL.... I am sure someone can find a post saying it, but I don’t think it was close to conventional wisdom then.

When Moor came back in 2018, he looked terrible. He had lost 3 steps. He obviously never healed last season from whatever happened in Guadalajara. And he is 35.

So it's about faith in the TFC medical staff. I am willing to give that faith, but I can see the argument for not doing that.

portu
11-27-2018, 05:30 PM

This “obviously losing a step” thing for Moor, I don’t recall hearing much about that here in 2017 or 2018 CCL.... I am sure someone can find a post saying it, but I don’t think it was close to conventional wisdom then.

When Moor came back in 2018, he looked terrible. He had lost 3 steps. He obviously never healed last season from whatever happened in Guadalajara. And he is 35.

So it's about faith in the TFC medical staff. I am willing to give that faith, but I can see the argument for not doing that.

I think this is fair but I still feel like you could see he'd lost a step in CCL. The needless foul he gave up against Chivas which lead to their free kick goal is a good example. Maybe he was tired or the level was just that high but he seemed very clumsy in CCL.

ag futbol
11-27-2018, 05:51 PM
All Defoe did was score goals, until a serious injury and the club turbulence. And all DeGuzman did was what he was good at. On the list of TFC disappointments, they are no where near the top.
Meh. In MLS context this guy is maybe 1/3 of the player Giovinco is. Defoe scores goals by the boatload and is as prolific of a finisher as i’ve seen but... highly dependent on service, doesn’t create much for others, and wasn’t much of a team player.

notthesun
11-27-2018, 06:41 PM
To keep an eye on: Walker Zimmerman is out of contract and LAFC has extended an offer to him, but he hasn't accepted as of yet. He has interest from Europe but it's possible his rights could be traded for within MLS if he can't come to terms with LAFC.

Probably heading to Europe though.

Areathrasher
11-27-2018, 08:06 PM
To keep an eye on: Walker Zimmerman is out of contract and LAFC has extended an offer to him, but he hasn't accepted as of yet. He has interest from Europe but it's possible his rights could be traded for within MLS if he can't come to terms with LAFC.

Probably heading to Europe though.

Pareja is trying to bring him to Xolos

ensco
11-27-2018, 09:07 PM
I think this is fair but I still feel like you could see he'd lost a step in CCL. The needless foul he gave up against Chivas which lead to their free kick goal is a good example. Maybe he was tired or the level was just that high but he seemed very clumsy in CCL.

I can't remember thinking it was a sign of that, but I remember that play.

That was a bad foul.

This is the kind of little thing/moment only the true hardcore remembers.

(God effing dammit all over again! ;-)

ag futbol
11-27-2018, 11:17 PM
Pareja is trying to bring him to Xolos
No offence to Xolos but I think he will do better

James17930
11-28-2018, 12:05 AM
Colombia is a much better league than MLS in terms of player development. But MLS is a magnet for mature players because of salary/lifestyle.

Oso is 26, he wouldn’t be going to be discovered. He would be going because it’s Copa Libertadores, it’s Colombia, and he knows/likes Zambrano, I guess? (This last point amuses me. Zambrano didn’t rate Oso on CMNT, he mostly rode the pines)

If Jonathan wants to go, I want him to go. He has put in a good shift here, he deserves some consideration, and I would like to think this club is a volunteer army.

Yes, that's basically what I meant.

Unless that club is in the CL next year I don't know what sort of allure it would hold for Oso above staying at TFC.

portu
11-28-2018, 05:02 AM

Oso's earned the right to leave, yeah, but it shouldn't be a loan. If a club wants Oso we better get the max allocation dollars out of it.

paul-collins
11-28-2018, 08:48 AM

I certainly do remember a lot of people crabbing about Moor for the last 1/3 of the season of 2017, and I felt it was unwarranted - not that he wasn't as fast as the others (and really I felt it was more a reflection of Mavinga's maturation and us getting used to his speed) but I also believed his IQ was more valuable than the foot speed people were clamouring for.

I don't dispute that Moor as he came back looked slow. Morrow is the same - hasn't found his speed yet after his recovery. As a Senators fan I've been through this with Erik Karlsson already and I too am willing to wait to see if the full recovery of their performance - at least physiologically - will show up this coming spring.

Areathrasher
11-28-2018, 09:22 AM
The President of Tigres has ruled out a move for Jozy...

https://twitter.com/naciontigres/status/1067474026287820800

"Nice to be linked to him. He tried to sign him 4 years ago but we are happy with the players we have right now"

Canary10
11-28-2018, 09:57 AM
Centre half isn’t a position that requires speed anyway. Unless you’re unable to do the thinking/positioning side of the game. We all know Moor can do the thinking.

portu
11-28-2018, 09:59 AM
Centre half isn’t a position that requires speed anyway. Unless you’re unable to do the thinking/positioning side of the game. We all know Moor can do the thinking.

Yeah but the positioning and decision making suffers from being too exhausted or because the level around him is that much better. I genuinely think Moor (and all our CBs bar Mavinga) got exposed in CCL.

Ultra & Proud
11-28-2018, 10:21 AM
I genuinely think Moor (and all our CBs bar Mavinga) got exposed in CCL.
And yet we made the final while only surrendering 9 goals in 6 matches, in pre/early season form, against the toughest bracket possible.

notthesun
11-28-2018, 10:22 AM
Notes from conference call with Bez today as per multiple journos on Twitter:

- Planning to sign another goalkeeper after Irwin's departure
- Hope to re-sign Hamilton but a new contract needs to be negotiated
- Actively pursuing Auro and Janson (not clear exactly whether these would be transfers or extending their loans)
- From a cap perspective TFC is taking on "virtually nothing" after Aketxe's contract termination. Aketxe didn't want to return.
- Mentality and speed of play are reasons Bez cited for Aketxe not working out
- Team is in a good position salary cap-wise
- No timeline or immediate plans to extend any of the 3 DPs. All 3 will be back in 2019.
- Looking to add defenders, maybe a winger
- Bez has spoken to Zambrano but is not considering loaning Osorio

portu
11-28-2018, 01:01 PM
And yet we made the final while only surrendering 9 goals in 6 matches, in pre/early season form, against the toughest bracket possible.

Few bounces here and there and could very easily have been ~16.

Ultra & Proud
11-28-2018, 01:04 PM

That could be said in just about every match, win or lose.

paul-collins
11-28-2018, 01:05 PM
If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.

Oldtimer
11-28-2018, 01:10 PM
- Looking to add defenders, maybe a winger

Just what everyone's been saying most of the season!

Glad Bez sees it too.

Voodooman
11-28-2018, 01:10 PM
I laughed at that those responses.

Few bounces here or there and we would have won as well.

Seems like the notes are pretty much on track to our thoughts....Zavaleta being gone is now the key to the offseason for myself lol

Oldtimer
11-28-2018, 01:11 PM

TFC was one sitter away from winning the whole thing.

It works both ways.

portu
11-28-2018, 01:23 PM
TFC was one sitter away from winning the whole thing.

It works both ways.

Of course but truth be told I thought the Chivas series was the only time we dominated both legs at any point (including Colorado). Tigres and América away legs involved a hell of a lot of luck (not just one bounce but like multiple in our favour).

ag futbol
11-28-2018, 01:39 PM
- Mentality and speed of play are reasons Bez cited for Aketxe not working out

I feel like I could cite these as reasons why our season didn’t work out. And I’d add Aketxe to our list of reasons.

we need to be careful about how we setup our back line for next year. Teams are going all-in for a high press or talking about setting up one.

Someone like Zavaleta who is indecisive on the ball and a slow passer is going to be under a lot of pressure. I like Moor and he’s no Zavaleta but relying on him as a starter sounds foolish. They need a first choice CB to stay next to Mavinga. He needs to be good on the ball, a leader, and defensively solid. I’d break the bank for Zimmerman, if i’m Being honest.

notthesun
11-28-2018, 02:07 PM
His comments on Aketxe remind me of Kantari, which was a bit of a similar situation. After he was a flop I remember Bez commenting that he struggled with the physicality of play in MLS and that was something he would keep in mind moving forward. Then he signed just about the complete opposite type of CB in Mavinga, who's been tremendous.

So I don't doubt Bez will learn from this as well. Or has learned, if you look at how quick Janson is with his decisions vs. Aketxe who was far too methodical for our team or even the league in general somewhat.

ensco
11-28-2018, 02:09 PM
I am OK with vdW, Moor/Hagglund and Mavinga at CB. That is, healthy, an above average backline.

Issue is RB or RWB. I don't think Auro or vDW were the answer there.

To me Auro is depth and/or someone you rollout as a winger when you play 4-4-2.

Breakdowns on our right hand side were a big problem in 2018, and caused Bradley to get pulled out of position a lot.

portu
11-28-2018, 02:34 PM
I am OK with vdW, Moor/Hagglund and Mavinga at CB. That is, healthy, an above average backline.

Breakdowns on our right hand side were a big problem in 2018, and caused Bradley to get pulled out of position a lot.
Disagree on Auro. I strongly believe he has Best XI potential, just needs to be more attentive in tracking runners and the space he leaves behind him when he goes forward.

TFC1154ever
11-28-2018, 02:52 PM

I’m not. You still need a starting CB. You’re one injury away again from Hagglund starting. This was a massive massive problem last year. Yes I know injuries killed us, but you need account for some of that to happen again.

Auro is a winger in my book. I like him going forward, not coming back. He’s a below average defender.

jabbronies
11-28-2018, 02:52 PM
I’m not. You still need a starting CB. You’re one injury away again from Hagglund starting. This was a massive massive problem last year. Yes I know injuries killed us, but you need account for some of that to happen again.

Auro is a winger in my book. I like him going forward, not coming back. He’s a below average defender.

hes a rwb

notthesun
11-28-2018, 03:07 PM
Kloke's latest article posted on The Athletic today says Lucas Paes, the 20 year old Sao Paulo keeper we were linked to earlier for a loan move, was in Toronto but failed his physical and has returned to Brazil. Also hints at looking for some flexibility in attack:

Bezbatchenko and Vanney’s pursuit of a winger who can give the team a more dominant offensive performance speaks to their desire to control games for long stretches. How TFC rely less on a speedy bench option up top and who they end up adding at forward will be one of the most pivotal decisions with regards to the short-term championship viability of this core.

It could lead to a shift away from Vanney’s preferred 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 diamond formations.

“I think that’s something Greg wants to explore,” said Bezbatchenko.

He added TFC is looking at how to hurt teams from wide areas so their midfield could operate a little “more freely.” That could only stand to benefit Victor Vazquez, whose creativity was sometimes stifled as opposition teams would set up heavy blocks through the middle against them.

portu
11-28-2018, 03:30 PM
Kloke's latest article posted on The Athletic today says Lucas Paes, the 20 year old Sao Paulo keeper we were linked to earlier for a loan move, was in Toronto but failed his physical and has returned to Brazil. Also hints at looking for some flexibility in attack:

Interesting thing about moving to a formation with proper wingers is that it means that Giovinco or Jozy either play out of position or we play with a two man central midfield, which means either Oso or Vazquez sits.

Also this is a team without any wingers, like you can't just pick up one winger and be like yeah we're set you need at least three for championship quality depth.

ensco
11-28-2018, 03:38 PM
^I bet this discussion is one they are having every day over at TFC HQ.

MightyDM
11-28-2018, 04:02 PM
I agree. But he is hardly our biggest disappointment is all I was saying. In fact, being brave enough to acquire Defoe set us on the path to acquire Gio. He was no Miata who left absolutely no legacy. Except one goal.

Jack
11-28-2018, 04:19 PM
You don't have to make a full-time change in your formation for a winger to help. They can be an impact sub or a tactical alternative for some games. Of course, if you go to the "we play with wingers" style, then you need three.

MightyDM
11-28-2018, 04:23 PM
I feel like I could cite these as reasons why our season didn’t work out. And I’d add Aketxe to our list of reasons.

we need to be careful about how we setup our back line for next year. Teams are going all-in for a high press or talking about setting up one.

Someone like Zavaleta who is indecisive on the ball and a slow passer is going to be under a lot of pressure. I like Moor and he’s no Zavaleta but relying on him as a starter sounds foolish. They need a first choice CB to stay next to Mavinga. He needs to be good on the ball, a leader, and defensively solid. I’d break the bank for Zimmerman, if i’m Being honest.

If we are worried about the press we have VdW/Mavinga as starting CB’s. That’s as good as it gets it this league. But it means a four at the back.

MightyDM
11-28-2018, 04:29 PM
[QUOTE=portu;1882923]Interesting thing about moving to a formation with proper wingers is that it means that Giovinco or Jozy either play out of position or we play with a two man central midfield, which means either Oso or Vazquez sits.

Also this is a team without any wingers, like you can't just pick up one winger and be like yeah we're set you need at least three for championship quality depth.[/QUOTEi]

It I s very interesting. I love Oso but I still cannot figure out how they use him and VV, that’s why I thought he was going out on loan as rumored. Maybe VV is going to become a limited minutes player?

Also, without doubt, we are two up front. Everything flows from playing Seba and Jozy In their best positions.

Free Raheem.

notthesun
11-28-2018, 04:31 PM
We did throw out a 4-3-3 with Morrow at LW in the last game of the season.

I think Vanney just wants another option he can go to. It instantly makes a lot of sense once either of Giovinco or Altidore aren't available because you no longer have the problem of trying to shoehorn all your best players into the formation. In fact I suspect our struggles with Altidore missing were a catalyst in wanting a different look... he is crucial to playing through the middle so it makes sense to try playing more from the wing without him.

ensco
11-28-2018, 04:34 PM
I think either Oso is sold/loaned out, or Vazquez may be done. Suspect that's what the Juninho tryout (or whatever that was) is about

portu
11-28-2018, 04:50 PM
I think either Oso is sold/loaned out, or Vazquez may be done. Suspect that's what the Juninho tryout (or whatever that was) is about

Wouldn't mind Vazquez out. Guy is on a max TAM contract, so getting rid of him would mean we could pick up two TAM players in his place.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-28-2018, 06:08 PM

Mertesacker made quite a career of it

Always saw Juninho as more of a box to box/DM rather than a player like Vasquez or Oso. Maybe that's just me

ensco
11-28-2018, 06:16 PM
Always saw Juninho as more of a box to box/DM rather than a player like Vasquez or Oso. Maybe that's just me

I think that's the point. A box to box guy is the right guy to put out there with Bradley and one of Oso/VV.

With Oso, the way he has evolved, and Vazquez, you have two AMs out there, which creates some awkward overlap. they are in each other’s way, and they leave too much ground for Bradley to cover, if there are breakdowns behind him

Ossington Mental Youth
11-28-2018, 06:29 PM

I think that's the point. A box to box guy is the right guy to put out there with Bradley and one of Oso/VV.

With Oso, the way he has evolved, and Vazquez, you have two AMs out there, which creates some awkward overlap. they are in each other’s way, and they leave too much ground for Bradley to cover, if there are breakdowns behind him

Kinda what I was thinking too. Gives flexibility, also don't have to rely so much on Marco who had a poor season

notthesun
11-28-2018, 06:48 PM
I don't think any of the core guys are leaving. They've stressed squad rotation and depth as the approach for next year and I think they're serious about it.

OgtheDim
11-28-2018, 08:39 PM
Need to find a younger Moor type who knows the league well.

The name I think of is Matt Hedges - Danged expensive but that's the sort of player in age and experience and ability we are talking about. Not going to be cheap.

SirBobSaget
11-29-2018, 12:04 AM
Brazilian press seem to think Auro to TFC permanently is a done deal. Sam Skjestal backed that up last week. Auro posted a pic of him and his agent/agency posing with a TFC jersey yesterday, like they were celebrating a done deal.

Auro seems the most likely transfer fee / contract expectations wise. I see a lot of post about Janson needing to be bought, but the price would likely make him a DP. Not sure worth a DP. If can fit him in for a more reasonable cap hit than Aketxe (F- to Bez on that one he wont be allowed another) then maybe.

notthesun
11-29-2018, 01:02 AM
Well Bez is on record now saying they'd like to keep Janson around and also that all 3 DPs are returning, so obviously there is some way to make that happen. Extending Janson's loan as a TAM player (as opposed to purchasing Auro) seems most likely to me.

Initial B
11-29-2018, 08:24 AM
I think the key is going to be if they raise the amount of TAM or the salary cap in the off-season. If simplified the rules and simply raised the cap to 7-10 million and allowed the 3 DPs, I think that would start to get competitive.

ensco
11-29-2018, 09:45 AM
Need to find a younger Moor type who knows the league well.

The name I think of is Matt Hedges - Danged expensive but that's the sort of player in age and experience and ability we are talking about. Not going to be cheap.

It's not possible to get better players from within the league. It'll simply never happen given the rules on free agency or lack thereof. Even if you overcame that....

Let's imagine that Hedges wanted to leave. Great player. Why would he come to TFC? I think guys like him are naturally going to markets like Seattle, if they move. Or they will leave the league to get paid and then come back, like Bradley/Altidore (and Zimmerman it seems)

Bradley and Altidore, separately and together, are/were very unique situations. It never really made sense for marquee US players to come here, and I don't believe Bradley/Altidore have changed that equation.

Giovinco, Vazquez, vdW and Piatti type players are the way forward for Canadian teams. Later in career, but not retirement age. Looking to escape the pressure/ultras where they might otherwise go next. Maybe like the idea of Canada vs the USA in the current political climate (Ottawa at least that mitigates the higher tax rate)

Some CB players in this potential category....

Simon Kjaer at Sevilla (he is the dream, probably has better options than MLS, plus Sevilla are surprise leaders in La Liga so he ain’t moving in January, as had been rumoured)
Fazio at Roma (this guy would be a monster in MLS, very physical player, but he recently became a regular again, so may not be available)
Stefan Radu at Lazio (this guy may be a little too old, I haven't seen him recently, but he has been a stud for years)

The USMNT guy that needs a new home, a la Altidore in 2015, is Bobby Wood, the striker who has been kicking around the Bundesliga but hardly playing for three years. Anybody willing to pay a couple of million dollars a year for him can probably get him... but I wouldn’t. I'd pay Janson's transfer before I did that.

Ultra & Proud
11-29-2018, 10:46 AM
It's not possible to get better players from within the league. It'll simply never happen.

Let's imagine that Hedges wanted to leave. Great player. Why would he come to TFC?

Good players moving does happen. Ciman happened last year. Granted not every team has an idiot like Crazy Joey meddling with on field operations but it can happen.

As to why Hedges would consider coming here that's simple; $$$.
He is getting paid nothing in Dallas and he is 28.

ensco
11-29-2018, 11:05 AM
Good players moving does happen. Ciman happened last year. Granted not every team has an idiot like Crazy Joey meddling with on field operations but it can happen.

As to why Hedges would consider coming here that's simple; $$$.
He is getting paid nothing in Dallas and he is 28.

Ciman is an international. Agree he was and is a good get. (Frankly, what happened with him is a stain on the league. )

If Hedges wants to get paid he can play out his contract and leave MLS - same as every other domestic.

Ultra & Proud
11-29-2018, 11:53 AM
If Hedges wants to get paid he can play out his contract and leave MLS - same as every other domestic.

True but there are other issues that can lead certain players to stay in N.A like a young family, not wanting to go to and learn a new language/culture (depends on where you can go), and also the possibility of sitting on a bench and stagnating your career (Brek Shea - never remotely good after the Stoke years).

Areathrasher
11-29-2018, 11:54 AM
Do trades for Dwyer, Meram, Dax McCarty, Kljestan, Kamara (Ola) not count as examples of getting good/better players from within the league?

Ultra & Proud
11-29-2018, 12:02 PM
Do trades for Dwyer, Meram, Dax McCarty, Kljestan, Kamara (Ola) not count as examples of getting good/better players from within the league?
And 3 of them were USMNT players when moved as well.

ensco
11-29-2018, 01:12 PM
^You forgot Nguyen, Kei Kamara, others... sure, certain types of decent veteran guys move.

I don’t see any of them as at Hedges current level at the time that they moved, with the exception of maybe Dwyer (only because strikers are so expensive/valuable)

Defoe
11-29-2018, 03:33 PM
It's not possible to get better players from within the league. It'll simply never happen given the rules on free agency or lack thereof. Even if you overcame that....

Let's imagine that Hedges wanted to leave. Great player. Why would he come to TFC? I think guys like him are naturally going to markets like Seattle, if they move.

I agree South America and Europe should be the way forward but Drew Moor and Justin Morrow basically prove this false. They showed that if given the opportunity to win, it doesn't matter. Both of them were marquee position players in MLS. This isn't the NBA. Toronto is a clean, top 10 economic, vibrant city that is committed to winning. We should be competing for every top player, including American born. Do you think Tim Leiweke would have that mind set?

Ultra & Proud
11-29-2018, 04:33 PM
I don’t see any of them as at Hedges current level at the time that they moved, with the exception of maybe Dwyer (only because strikers are so expensive/valuable)
Kljestan just finished a season where he was up for MVP when they moved him and McCarty was considered the main cog of NYRB's midfield when he moved. Yeah Kljestan was 31 at the time but McCarty was Hedge's age.

ensco
11-29-2018, 04:52 PM
Hedges is a USMNT regular. Dax McCarty isn’t and never was in his snack bracket.

Kljestan certainly was at one point, but wasn’t when he was moved.

Oh btw
https://www.brotherlygame.com/2018/11/29/18117386/philadelphia-union-mario-balotelli-transfer-target-mls-ogc-nice

reggie
11-29-2018, 04:55 PM
why spend 700 800 900 k in allo for a mls player plus there salary ,when you can hopefully find a mavinga type player for 350 400.
unless its a moor type who was a total free agent.

ensco
11-29-2018, 04:58 PM
I agree South America and Europe should be the way forward but Drew Moor and Justin Morrow basically prove this false. They showed that if given the opportunity to win, it doesn't matter. Both of them were marquee position players in MLS. This isn't the NBA. Toronto is a clean, top 10 economic, vibrant city that is committed to winning. We should be competing for every top player, including American born. Do you think Tim Leiweke would have that mind set?

Morrow and Moor were tremendous signings, as was Beitashour. Irwin too. We had a terrific and unique run of bringing in quality MLS regulars in 2014-15.

We gave up nothing for any of them. they weren’t DPs or even close to max salary players.

None of them are relevant to a Hedges caliber player conversation. Hedges is one of the 5 best non DP players in the league right now.

portu
11-29-2018, 05:36 PM
Morrow and Moor were tremendous signings, as was Beitashour. Irwin too. We had a terrific and unique run of bringing in quality MLS regulars in 2014-15.

We gave up nothing for any of them. they weren’t DPs or even close to max salary players.

None of them are relevant to a Hedges caliber player conversation. Hedges is one of the 5 best non DP players in the league right now.
Hedges is next level

Backing Ensco on this 100%

Derko
11-29-2018, 06:03 PM
Yes Portu, that is football, a few bounces either way can make the difference regardless of skill.

Cheers

RedsMan
11-29-2018, 06:15 PM
Agreed, especially with respect to replacing him in his role as the organizer / communicator at the back. There's currently no one else on the team suited to perform this role, and the same is true of some possible additions who have been brought up, like Waston (whose team allowed more goals than TFC did this season fwiw) and Zimmerman.

RedsMan
11-29-2018, 06:24 PM
Hedges is a USMNT regular.
Fwiw, Hedges has about as many USMNT caps as Marky Delgado.

RedsMan
11-29-2018, 06:27 PM
If we are worried about the press we have VdW/Mavinga as starting CB’s. That’s as good as it gets it this league. But it means a four at the back.It also means a CB pair made up of possibly the two least talkative players on the team, which isn't much of a qualification for either to function effectively in the organizer / communicator role.

portu
11-29-2018, 07:49 PM
Yes Portu, that is football, a few bounces either way can make the difference regardless of skill.

Cheers

That's not the point of the argument in this case. I'm not denying the result; I'm denying the repeatability of the result, which is how we should be judging our performances and our players.

For example, that's why some rely more on expected goals as opposed to goals scored when recruiting a striker.

It's like saying because Croatia made the World Cup Final this year that the whole team is full of world beaters when in reality Lovren starts for them.

DinamoTFC
11-29-2018, 10:26 PM
It's like saying because Croatia made the World Cup Final this year that the whole team is full of world beaters when in reality Lovren starts for them.

Using Croatia for your example is a terrible example when the team has a number of world class players in Modric, Rakitic, Mandzukic, Perisic.

Croatia's run was no fluke. Most of their players play for top teams in the top 5 leagues.

OgtheDim
11-29-2018, 11:43 PM
I used Hedges as an example - its that type of player we need.

BTW, Dallas is in transition. Pareja leaving and they failing and stumbling of late is going to mean changes.

OgtheDim
11-30-2018, 06:55 AM
Likely scouting & learning trip (doubtful scouting players at this game)

https://twitter.com/Chris_Mavinga/status/1068434818692714496

ag futbol
11-30-2018, 08:11 AM
I used Hedges as an example - its that type of player we need.

BTW, Dallas is in transition. Pareja leaving and they failing and stumbling of late is going to mean changes.
The other thing about this sort of move is it preserves your international spots for some of the other positions on the field. Although not as valuable as they once were, having the luxury of an extra international spot when looking for attacking talent is worth while.

portu
11-30-2018, 08:23 AM
Using Croatia for your example is a terrible example when the team has a number of world class players in Modric, Rakitic, Mandzukic, Perisic.

Croatia's run was no fluke. Most of their players play for top teams in the top 5 leagues.

Lmao there were teams where the entire team was made up of players from the top teams in the world, forget leagues. But whatever satisfies I guess..

Voodooman
11-30-2018, 09:09 AM
Lmao there were teams where the entire team was made up of players from the top teams in the world, forget leagues. But whatever satisfies I guess..

I know this is off topic, but what made Croatia strong compared to the others was the familiarity that team had compared to other countries. Why I had Croatia making the Finals in my own pool at the start.

Although yes skill wise they weren't at the same caliber as the rest of the teams, their teamwork/chemistry was miles ahead of other teams. Could it have been playing in similar systems/teams growing up, or that team being together for so long to make that run, who knows. Yes even Lovren looked good when playing for Croatia, because he was set in the system.

It's a factor people tend to forget as well when looking at the teams, how will that player or players fit in with the squad. We saw with Aketxe that it's not that easy to just find anyone with skill and put them on the team, they need to be able to fit in the system, on and off the pitch.

Areathrasher
11-30-2018, 09:21 AM
Likely scouting & learning trip (doubtful scouting players at this game)

https://twitter.com/Chris_Mavinga/status/1068434818692714496

It's coaching licence related. They were at Lyon too this week.

Areathrasher
11-30-2018, 09:22 AM
Hedges is a USMNT regular. Dax McCarty isn’t and never was in his snack bracket.

Kljestan certainly was at one point, but wasn’t when he was moved.

Oh btw
https://www.brotherlygame.com/2018/11/29/18117386/philadelphia-union-mario-balotelli-transfer-target-mls-ogc-nice

Hedges has 5 caps

Ultra & Proud
11-30-2018, 09:51 AM
Hedges has 5 caps

I think Hedges is being vastly overrated on here. He is good but he isn't like the most dominant defender in MLS and never was. If he was he would have been getting called up to the USMNT before pylons like 'Own Goal' Gonzalez. Let's have some perspective, when the year end list of best MLS defenders comes out, minus 2016 when he won it and Dallas was a regular season force, he is never even in the top 5.

Gringo Starr
11-30-2018, 10:00 AM
I know this is off topic, but what made Croatia strong compared to the others was the familiarity that team had compared to other countries. Why I had Croatia making the Finals in my own pool at the start.

Although yes skill wise they weren't at the same caliber as the rest of the teams, their teamwork/chemistry was miles ahead of other teams. Could it have been playing in similar systems/teams growing up, or that team being together for so long to make that run, who knows. Yes even Lovren looked good when playing for Croatia, because he was set in the system.

It's a factor people tend to forget as well when looking at the teams, how will that player or players fit in with the squad. We saw with Aketxe that it's not that easy to just find anyone with skill and put them on the team, they need to be able to fit in the system, on and off the pitch.

Nationalism also comes into it, for some countries it's just a football tournament for others it's warfare on a different field ie Xhaka, Shaqiri Albania goal celebrations. The Croatian jersey is one of those loaded with meaning and symbolism.

DinamoTFC
11-30-2018, 05:37 PM

You're not making any sense. Players playing in top teams in the top leagues are playing for the top teams in the world. Wtf?

OgtheDim
12-01-2018, 06:50 AM
FWIW - MLS will announce who's available for Free agency after the Cup Final.

ensco
12-01-2018, 04:19 PM
Another big name Portuguese manager going to Saudi...

https://twitter.com/mhchehade/status/1068950560760610817?s=21

Redpunkfiddle
12-01-2018, 08:35 PM
Another big name Portuguese manager going to Saudi...

https://twitter.com/mhchehade/status/1068950560760610817?s=21

Relevance?

ensco
12-02-2018, 12:09 AM
Relevance?

Not much. Just more evidence that the Saudi’s are making big splashes all of a sudden in football. There was a rumour that another Saudi club were recruiting Seba a couple of weeks ago.

OgtheDim
12-02-2018, 07:22 AM
Mavinga was interviewed on French BeIN.

https://twitter.com/l_expresso/status/1069170872685142016

The video is geo locked.

In theory, the whole show will be up on this site eventually. http://www.beinsports.com/france/replay-lexpresso/

notthesun
12-02-2018, 12:38 PM
Mavinga was interviewed on French BeIN.

The video is geo locked.

In theory, the whole show will be up on this site eventually. http://www.beinsports.com/france/replay-lexpresso/

I watched it. They ask if he is or would like to return to Europe, he said it's in the back of his mind and would mostly depend on his wife's wishes. Then they ask if he's had any contact with specific clubs about a move and he answers by saying TFC has given him the opportunity to show what he's capable of by returning to play at CB whereas before he was stuck being used as a LB. Ends by saying he's happy and relaxed as things stand, if this something happens then something happens, but he's happy to continue in MLS.

RealG-TFC
12-02-2018, 02:21 PM
I know he was also interviewed for this show as well but it is also geo-blocked. Anyone know how to get around the geo-block?

https://rmcsport.bfmtv.com/football/les-dessous-de-la-viree-nocturne-des-espoirs-en-2012-avec-griezmann-et-m-vila-1578273.html

Derko
12-03-2018, 08:20 AM
That's not the point of the argument in this case. I'm not denying the result; I'm denying the repeatability of the result, which is how we should be judging our performances and our players.

For example, that's why some rely more on expected goals as opposed to goals scored when recruiting a striker.

I know, I know, just poking fun, you know me better than that

Areathrasher
12-04-2018, 10:56 AM
Auro is with a load of TFC players in California doing a little mini camp. I'd guess if there with them he's coming back next year.

A Stick
12-06-2018, 02:17 PM
Something here about Arjen Robben and TFC: www.volkskrant.nl/sport/hoe-vervolgt-arjen-robben-zijn-voetbalreis-~b058986c

portu
12-06-2018, 02:41 PM
Something here about Arjen Robben and TFC: www.volkskrant.nl/sport/hoe-vervolgt-arjen-robben-zijn-voetbalreis-~b058986c

As cool as this would be I don't think it'd be the best move for the club

paul-collins
12-06-2018, 03:31 PM
As cool as this would be I don't think it'd be the best move for the club
agreed

Areathrasher
12-06-2018, 05:06 PM
That article is just the author running through potential scenarios when he leaves Bayern in the summer and in his opinion if Robben were to go to MLS he suggests TFC as the best fit.

ensco
12-06-2018, 05:24 PM
They are simply pointing out the Dutch links on TFC (vdW, Jozy).

Why exactly would we not want Arjen Robben?

We do not have an RM except for Auro. We force other guys like Delgado or Chapman into that slot a lot.

backbeat
12-06-2018, 05:38 PM

We do not have an RM except for Auro. We force other guys like Delgado or Chapman into that slot a lot.

Robben would be a dream especially if he could stay healthy - heck whilst dreaming....Robben and Ribery.....enough to make one drool....

notthesun
12-06-2018, 05:44 PM
Well we're definitely switching to 4-3-3 if we sign Robben lol

reggie
12-06-2018, 06:18 PM
tfc 2 player malik johnson signs with tampa...

Richard
12-06-2018, 07:55 PM
Robben and Ribery would be dynamite for all of 3 games then get injured.

Blizzard
12-06-2018, 08:06 PM

.... and we don't even know if we will have Auro!

OgtheDim
12-06-2018, 08:44 PM
Robben doesn't really provide width as much as guile on the right.

We all know he is going to come inside.

ag futbol
12-06-2018, 08:45 PM
Yeah, certainly there is something to be said for a player who is that high in quality but... we need some more speed, hope we’re able to find it.

shwade
12-06-2018, 09:10 PM
Robben and Ribery would be dynamite for all of 3 games then get injured.

Haha if that.

burlington Red
12-07-2018, 09:18 AM
Haha if that.

maybe with our luck re injuries, but both men have pretty good injury records on the whole. Robben's goals for a winger or wide attacker, call it what you may is crazy, 1 in 2 for Bayern and just a bit more than that for his country. He cuts inside everytime, we all know it but stopping it is another thing. Whoever gets him in whatever league, it's a short term fix, but he's genuinely one of the greatest players in recent yrs

ensco
12-07-2018, 11:00 AM
We don't have a DP slot so it'd have to be a TAM deal like Ibra did in LA.

He can get a lot more than that I suspect, especially in China or Japan, but maybe elsewhere in MLS. NYCFC are an obvious name.

Not many guys have been featured players for the biggest clubs in all of England, Spain and Germany.

Anyone around here who wouldn't take Robben ... is over rating the caliber of play in MLS.

paul-collins
12-07-2018, 11:37 AM
Yeah this is why I don't see it happening. I don't know if we have the TAM necessary and I am not ready to part with our DPs just yet... And I don't see any of them stepping down in contract terms either.

TBH having Robben here would be a dream, technically. He was always my favourite in the Dutch setup (even when Sneijder, van Persie, etc were at their best)...

ensco
12-07-2018, 11:52 AM
I bet Robben at 34 would be the fastest guy on TFC.

I see him going to Japan.

Red CB Toronto
12-07-2018, 01:05 PM
I bet Robben at 34 would be the fastest guy on TFC.

I see him going to Japan.

Just curious, is Japan a league that has thrown cash around on imports? I have never thought of the J League in that way. When I think of the silly cash cows it's obviously China in recent times, along with say Russia or the Middle East ie UAE. It will be interesting.

ensco
12-07-2018, 01:15 PM
Just curious, is Japan a league that has thrown cash around on imports? I have never thought of the J League in that way. When I think of the silly cash cows it's obviously China in recent times, along with say Russia or the Middle East ie UAE. It will be interesting.

Nobody spends close to what China does, but that is apparently ending soon

https://sc.mp/az5e0

Japan has made a big splash in the last six months. Iniesta supposedly got 30 million dollars a year over two years.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11526184/how-are-andres-iniesta-and-fernando-torres-doing-in-japan

Oldtimer
12-07-2018, 01:26 PM
Yeah this is why I don't see it happening. I don't know if we have the TAM necessary and I am not ready to part with our DPs just yet... And I don't see any of them stepping down in contract terms either.

TBH having Robben here would be a dream, technically. He was always my favourite in the Dutch setup (even when Sneijder, van Persie, etc were at their best)...

The Dutch dream launched under Winter could become a reality yet. That would be ironic.

portu
12-07-2018, 01:48 PM

He can get a lot more than that I suspect, especially in China or Japan, but maybe elsewhere in MLS. NYCFC are an obvious name.

Not many guys have been featured players for the biggest clubs in all of England, Spain and Germany.

Anyone around here who wouldn't take Robben ... is over rating the caliber of play in MLS.

My main concerns are injuries in a salary cap world and that he's not a long term solution at the position

Areathrasher
12-07-2018, 03:05 PM
Just for context. He's 35 in January and has been a pro since 16. Hell of a lot of miles on the clock.

ensco
12-07-2018, 03:29 PM
^I agree that he is only a one year rental, with some risk. I just kind of like the idea.

Everyone said the same things about Rooney and injuries and foot speed. But these truly elite guys are on another planet.

There is no way it happens unless Robben takes massively less than he can get elsewhere, so it's just baseless offseason chat, really..

jabbronies
12-07-2018, 04:02 PM
remember back in the day the big chatter was about Dickov to TFC ... oh how the times have changed.