PDA

View Full Version : 2019 MLS SuperDraft thread January 11, 2019

Oldtimer
10-26-2018, 10:24 AM
Unlike the last two year's, TFC is in line for a top pick once the dust settles. While the SuperDraft is less significant these days, the chance to pick up a good player is still very high in the top half of the first round.

Areathrasher
10-26-2018, 01:07 PM
Currently looking like the 6th pick. Meh.

BenRhodes23
10-26-2018, 04:33 PM
MLS draft prospects:

https://www.brotherlygame.com/2018/8/24/17765748/2019-superdraft-prospects-to-watch-in-college-soccer-this-fall

notthesun
10-26-2018, 05:39 PM
Take a CB. We should move on from one of Hagglund & Zavaleta anyways, and a CB could easily be in line for tons of minutes with TFC II if he doesn't make the first team or as a loan down.

reggie
10-26-2018, 11:32 PM
i think we draft allo cation

BenRhodes23
10-27-2018, 12:18 AM

:facepalm:

Initial B
10-28-2018, 06:58 PM
Well, right now TFC is picking 6th since FC Cincinnati is entering the league next year. Really I don't think anybody from the draft will be capable of cracking TFC's starting lineup and will probably end up with TFCII for the year.

SoccMan2
11-26-2018, 11:07 AM
Interesting find, while looking at the NCAA 2018 tournament which are now down to the quarters I came across a player who is in his first season at Akron who are in the quarters of the NCAA . His name is Marco Milanese born in 1998 he is 20, he spent two seasons with the 16 and 19 youth teams of Napoli of Seria A in Italy and also practised regularly with Napoli’s first team during practise. He even made the bench but did not come off the bench in a Italian Cup game in 2017. From reading some articles in Italian about him I came across on the internet he was on the verge of cracking the Napoli roster,however, just before training camp before the 2017-2018 season Napoli let him go , from what I read he was pretty devastated by being let go so suddenly after Napoli had shown so much hope of making it to the first team, he decided to go back home to live with his parents in his home town in the Molise region of central Italy and he ended up playing for his home town team which played in Italy’s 5th. division for the entire 2017-2018 season winning with them promotion to Italy’s 4th. division all the while turning down interest from serie B teams while he sorted out his future. By fluke he saw an advertisement online for a company that recruited Italian athletes interested in getting athletic NCAA scholarships in the US, he enquires and the rest is history . This past summer comes to the US and starts his first season at Akron, anyways he plays center back and would be an interesting player to have a look at during this years college draft especially with his background of where he has played as a youth, however, I do realize he would take an international spot.

JuliquE
11-26-2018, 11:22 AM
Interesting find, while looking at the NCAA 2018 tournament which are now down to the quarters I came across a player who is in his first season at Akron who are in the quarters of the NCAA . His name is Marco Milanese born in 1998 he is 20, he spent two seasons with the 16 and 19 youth teams of Napoli of Seria A in Italy and also practised regularly with Napoli’s first team during practise. He even made the bench but did not come off the bench in a Italian Cup game in 2017. From reading some articles in Italian about him I came across on the internet he was on the verge of cracking the Napoli roster,however, just before training camp before the 2017-2018 season Napoli let him go , from what I read he was pretty devastated by being let go so suddenly after Napoli had shown so much hope of making it to the first team, he decided to go back home to live with his parents in his home town in the Molise region of central Italy and he ended up playing for his home town team which played in Italy’s 5th. division for the entire 2017-2018 season winning with them promotion to Italy’s 4th. division all the while turning down interest from serie B teams while he sorted out his future. By fluke he saw an advertisement online for a company that recruited Italian athletes interested in getting athletic NCAA scholarships in the US, he enquires and the rest is history . This past summer comes to the US and starts his first season at Akron, anyways he plays center back and would be an interesting player to have a look at during this years college draft especially with his background of where he has played as a youth, however, I do realize he would take an international spot.
Great scouting and very interesting, indeed; certainly a position of need, and his pedigree is promising.

Canary10
11-26-2018, 01:15 PM

It would be great if MLS offered that as an option instead of taking a player, complete with the name. It’s the logical thing next step under MLS’s dumb rules.

Areathrasher
01-03-2019, 04:35 PM
So TFC have the 6th pick. There are 7 Generation Adidas players. Nice.

Citing anonymous sources, Galarcep reported for Goal.com (https://www.goal.com/en-us/amp/news/amaya-robinson-to-headline-mls-generation-adidas-class/23ke1chi5oh81q0pqi2y4gi52) that UCLA and US U-20 national team midfielder Frankie Amaya will headline this year’s GA crop, and will be joined by Canadian striker Tajon Buchanon (Syracuse), Kentucky striker JJ Williams, UNC’s John Nelson, Indiana winger Griffin Dorsey, VCU talent Siad Haji and University of Maryland goalkeeper Dayne St. Clair, the Canadian who backstopped the Terrapins’ run to the 2018 College Cup championship

Two Canadians among the 7

EDIT: Rollins has heard that TFC are targeting the Canadian keeper, Dayne St. Clair. Matt Doyle has TFC taking him in his mock draft too.

Red CB Toronto
01-03-2019, 10:03 PM
Interesting notion going with a goalkeeper, I am ok with that. The importance of the draft has diminished in recent times with more money being spent on the international market but you can still can some decent depth within the early part of the first round. Nice to see some Canadian GAs. Hopefully they amount to more than the pair a few years ago.

So TFC have the 6th pick. There are 7 Generation Adidas players. Nice.

Two Canadians among the 7

EDIT: Rollins has heard that TFC are targeting the Canadian keeper, Dayne St. Clair. Matt Doyle has TFC taking him in his mock draft too.

notthesun
01-05-2019, 01:43 AM
With a bounce-back season or two Bono could have decent transfer value and we have no other keepers worth mentioning, be it veterans or prospects. Grabbing a keeper makes sense.

Oldtimer
01-05-2019, 06:51 PM
If you got the time and the inclination you can watch the combine here:

https://youtu.be/7wXx3c003Uc

ag futbol
01-08-2019, 10:23 AM
Normally I find the draft to be a bit of a snoozer but this year we have a decent pick and two Canadians on GA contracts that could fill needs for the team considered to be top prospects.

I’d lean towards the keeper personally but have to admit Buchanan looks interesting (but likely to be gone by the time we select at 6th).

Red CB Toronto
01-09-2019, 08:35 PM
The draft from the perspective of the Canadian player has greatly changed. The top five prospects from the great white north have all been granted domestic player status, meaning they won't count as international regardless of what team selects them. That really is great news.

In the latest SBI mock draft, the top three Canadians will be gone by the time TFC is on the clock. Ives has the Reds taking Michigan State forward DeJuan Jones.

https://sbisoccer.com/2019/01/the-sbi-2019-mls-mock-draft-version-2-0

portu
01-09-2019, 09:00 PM
Philly just traded ALL of their draft picks to Cincinatti for 150k GAM

Smokecell
01-09-2019, 10:42 PM

I swear that is straight out of Football Manager.

I see it as a strong statement of belief in their academy. It's either genius or crazy.

As a fan it's been difficult to get excited for the Superdraft so I'm not surprised to see teams echoing those sentiments.

ag futbol
01-09-2019, 11:17 PM
Canadians will be gone by the time TFC is on the clock. Ives has the Reds taking Michigan State forward DeJuan Jones.

This confined production of attaching talent is really frustrating. CMNT is going to have to field 11 strikers, all of which will be left footed.

Meanwhile, can’t even produce a defender to save our lives. Dream big kids, that RB spot is for you.

OgtheDim
01-09-2019, 11:33 PM

GAM that they got from LAFC for Cinci's allocation order spot in 2020 & reportedly a behind the scenes hand shake to not take an LAFC product in the expansion draft. Gosh this league is weird.

ensco
01-11-2019, 07:41 AM
Not sure that GK will be there

https://twitter.com/soccerbyives/status/1083601974765993984?s=21

rydermike
01-11-2019, 08:27 AM
Not sure that GK will be there

https://twitter.com/soccerbyives/status/1083601974765993984?s=21
They want him to be third string behind Tim Howard and Clint Irwin then

rydermike
01-11-2019, 08:31 AM

I think this is going to signal the end of the super draft soon. Philly basically admitted with this trade that one player (using all the GAM) from anywhere else in the world is better than any of 5 players from NCAA

ensco
01-11-2019, 08:40 AM
They want him to be third string behind Tim Howard and Clint Irwin then

Howard won’t be there much longer

rydermike
01-11-2019, 10:25 AM
Howard won’t be there much longer

Wow, looked him up. Had no idea he was 39. Thought he was 33/34. Makes sense though. Watched him for years and years in the EPL, so he had to up there in years.

portu
01-11-2019, 11:52 AM
Shame about St. Clair, the kid looks better than Bono was when we drafted him

reggie
01-11-2019, 12:07 PM
im sure if tfc really like him they could move up a couple of spots for 100 k

Initial B
01-11-2019, 01:33 PM
Frankie Amaya goes first in the draft....

Initial B
01-11-2019, 01:39 PM
The Quakes take Siad Haji with the second pick....

Detroit_TFC
01-11-2019, 01:43 PM
Least interested in the draft I've ever been but still feel bad that for some (most?) of these kids this is going to be the high point of their careers and go down hill from here.

(never mind me, I'm cranky because I haven't had lunch)

Initial B
01-11-2019, 01:44 PM
Orlando takes Santiago Patino. Some are saying he's too high.

Initial B
01-11-2019, 01:48 PM
FC Dallas take Canadian Callum Montgomery

ensco
01-11-2019, 01:48 PM
Orlando did us a solid by taking the FIU player. We know now that one of Buchanon or St Clair will be there at 6

EDIT: they are both available at 6

Initial B
01-11-2019, 01:53 PM
Chicago trades their pick to Colorado for Andre Shinyashiki. I guess they want offense...

St Clair is there for TFC if they want him.

<edit The Fire get the 15th pick and $100K in GAM.>

ensco
01-11-2019, 01:54 PM
I bet we take Buchanon. Shocked Colorado didn't take him, he is not just a Canadian, also a Colorado state native.

Striker is where the money/value is in this life.

ag futbol
01-11-2019, 01:55 PM
St Clair would seem the obvious choice (although either would do).

Sadly this is largely an unpredictable crap-shoot as these teams do their scouting in advance of the draft and there appears to be little consensus with what commentators think.

ensco
01-11-2019, 01:57 PM
Well, what do I know?

Initial B
01-11-2019, 01:58 PM
TFC takes... Griffin Dorsey?!

<Edit: after that speech, I think they took him for character.>

ensco
01-11-2019, 02:00 PM
We have a lot of Indiana University DNA. Moor, Zavaleta, now this guy

OgtheDim
01-11-2019, 02:03 PM
"Good guy in the locker room"

ryan
01-11-2019, 02:04 PM
Knocked in some nice goals in that trailer for him. Sounds like a quality person. Hope he works out.

TFC1154ever
01-11-2019, 02:04 PM
Guys on the panel seems to think he will play as fullback/wide midfielder. Seems to be pretty pacey.

Initial B
01-11-2019, 02:06 PM
Minnesota United are the ones who pick St Clair at #7.

ensco
01-11-2019, 02:09 PM
Now let's trade some of the Bez TAM for Buchanan. GAs are free.

rydermike
01-11-2019, 02:09 PM
Well we lost Harry Potter (Bez) but we drafted Gryffindor(sey)

Initial B
01-11-2019, 02:13 PM
It looks like the draft results have caused a lot of rethinking among the managers. Everyone has asked for a timeout since TFC's pick.

gracos
01-11-2019, 02:15 PM
i think TFC had a major stretch, i dont get this pick

Initial B
01-11-2019, 02:16 PM
Houston takes Sam Junqua at #8. Not on anyone's mock draft apparently.

<edit: Correction - SBI's draft board had him at 30>

And There goes Buchanan at #9 with the REvs.

OgtheDim
01-11-2019, 02:21 PM
GrffynDor is Generation Addidas - cap relief

reggie
01-11-2019, 02:22 PM
come on people ...we have no idea who these guys are.

Initial B
01-11-2019, 02:23 PM
FC Dallas takes John Nelson with pick #10. I'm going to drop out here as I have some work to do.

OgtheDim
01-11-2019, 02:26 PM

Nah, we all know these guys going back a long way....about 15 minutes ago.

ensco
01-11-2019, 02:30 PM

Buchanon was the one guy getting lots of buzz a couple of months ago. His drop is a little weird.

DinamoTFC
01-11-2019, 02:50 PM

Exactly what I'm thinking. Any opinion is based on a few reporters

Shway
01-11-2019, 03:34 PM
Any opinion is based on trends that show these players will all be in the USL albeit a few gems.

ensco
01-11-2019, 03:36 PM
My opinion is based on the fact that a mid first round pick seems to be worth maybe $100K in TAM, which seems not much for GA player that had a lot of people talking a month ago.

Being GA is very valuable in terms of roster mgmt.

Its not like $100K in TAM gets you much in the international player market.

Canary10
01-11-2019, 04:18 PM
Why are American soccer names so bad? Frankie Amaya? Griffin Dorsey? These sound like made up names from FIFA '94.

Ultra & Proud
01-11-2019, 04:21 PM
I was hoping for St. Clair to push Bono because I feel he was floating somewhat without a legit bench challenge. If Irwin wasn't enough to push Bono then Patterson-Sewell certainly won't.

That being said the word on Dorsey is that he could make a decent FB and that's something in short supply in MLS, especially in terms of affordability. It's worth a gamble on good character guys with pace who play FB.

Areathrasher
01-11-2019, 05:39 PM
Picked some Scottish lad in the second round. Midfielder by the name of Adam Wilson.

gracos
01-12-2019, 12:14 AM
I feel TFC are deepest at midfield; looking like Ali Curtis is going to be closer to Mo Johnston than Tim B

Carter
01-12-2019, 07:03 AM
I feel TFC are deepest at midfield; looking like Ali Curtis is going to be closer to Mo Johnston than Tim B
LOL

Curtis has been GM for all of a nano second and you think he had any choice in the Draft Picks?

Hot take... :yum::canada:

Fort York Redcoat
01-12-2019, 08:29 AM

I swear that is straight out of Football Manager.

I see it as a strong statement of belief in their academy. It's either genius or crazy.

As a fan it's been difficult to get excited for the Superdraft so I'm not surprised to see teams echoing those sentiments.

Ya this is def a diss on the Notsosuperdraft.

Fort York Redcoat
01-12-2019, 08:32 AM
GAM that they got from LAFC for Cinci's allocation order spot in 2020 & reportedly a behind the scenes hand shake to not take an LAFC product in the expansion draft. Gosh this league is weird.

Yeah and that was mostly about protecting our ex Beita!

Fort York Redcoat
01-12-2019, 08:34 AM
I think this is going to signal the end of the super draft soon. Philly basically admitted with this trade that one player (using all the GAM) from anywhere else in the world is better than any of 5 players from NCAA

Not until every team has a somewhat strong academy. That won't be until they stop expanding the league.

Fort York Redcoat
01-12-2019, 08:40 AM
FC Dallas take Canadian Callum Montgomery

First Canadian to go in this years draft but he won't be lobbing it to Tesho since Dallas traded him to Orlando.

Monty was Captain with the Victoria highlanders and from Nanaimo. hrm. Guess he'll look to Van in future.

Good luck to them both except against us of course.

Fort York Redcoat
01-12-2019, 08:54 AM
We have a lot of Indiana University DNA. Moor, Zavaleta, now this guy

And Colorado Academy. Another Colorado link.

Fort York Redcoat
01-12-2019, 09:02 AM
Minnesota United are the ones who pick St Clair at #7.

It looks like the draft results have caused a lot of rethinking among the managers. Everyone has asked for a timeout since TFC's pick.

i think TFC had a major stretch, i dont get this pick

I was hoping for St. Clair to push Bono because I feel he was floating somewhat without a legit bench challenge. If Irwin wasn't enough to push Bono then Patterson-Sewell certainly won't.

That being said the word on Dorsey is that he could make a decent FB and that's something in short supply in MLS, especially in terms of affordability. It's worth a gamble on good character guys with pace who play FB.

Dayne St Clair from NY Red Bulls U-23. Ali Curtis from the NY Red Bulls.

I wish the kid luck and hope he's the next super starter for Canada but I'll give Curtis the benefit of knowing what he sees or doesn't in St Clair.

Besides, this Pickering boy will come home eventually. Till then it's him and Cronin I'll look for on the Loons.

Fort York Redcoat
01-12-2019, 09:25 AM
Houston takes Sam Junqua at #8. Not on anyone's mock draft apparently.

<edit: Correction - SBI's draft board had him at 30>

And There goes Buchanan at #9 with the REvs.

Buchanon was the one guy getting lots of buzz a couple of months ago. His drop is a little weird.

The drop is weird but another striker from Brampton in Tajon Buchanon isn't that surprising a pass for us. GA is GA, right? If he makes it and steals a spot in NE he'll come home one day.

I'll keep an eye out for Canada. Him and his teamate Brian Wright.

Fort York Redcoat
01-12-2019, 09:31 AM
The 10th pick overall John Nelson from Tobacco Road FC goes to Dallas for Maxi Urruti.

How can you not love this

Pick 11 is DeJuan Jones to NE. This pick is for sending Kei Kamara to Van... who lasted a year there lol. Hey at least he helped groom Alphonso Davies.

Pick 27 Good luck to Kamal Miller in Orlando. Plenty of Canadian company for another Pickering boy.

Pick 30 is Jimmy Hague. This was our pick but we took Laurent Ciman and gave up the first Al Location pick.

Pick 46 Mamadi Camara for SJ. Good luck to another Canadian!

Fort York Redcoat
01-12-2019, 10:11 AM
Picked some Scottish lad in the second round. Midfielder by the name of Adam Wilson.

See if he gets any time against Cincy. He played for the USL2 Cincinnati Dutch Lions. He looks to have spent some time in the Rangers system.

rydermike
01-14-2019, 02:18 PM
Tfc drafts a Danish player in the third round. Patrick Bunk-Anderson, a defender, from Clemson.

A lot of teams just passed on their selections in round 3 and 4.

Initial B
01-14-2019, 02:38 PM
That is a lot of passes for what constitutes really cheap bench depth. I guess they figure taht these players can't cut it at the professional level? Not sure what Garber thinks of this.

Red CB Toronto
01-14-2019, 03:30 PM
That is a lot of passes for what constitutes really cheap bench depth. I guess they figure taht these players can't cut it at the professional level? Not sure what Garber thinks of this.

I recently read that the draft may be reduced to two rounds and because of the number of passes that occurred today including the Galaxy who bypassed on four picks I can really see this happening.

portu
01-14-2019, 04:04 PM
I recently read that the draft may be reduced to two rounds and because of the number of passes that occurred today including the Galaxy who bypassed on four picks I can really see this happening.

It should honestly be 1 round and then remaining players are just free agents, would bring a bit of value back to the draft

Red CB Toronto
01-14-2019, 11:52 PM
It should honestly be 1 round and then remaining players are just free agents, would bring a bit of value back to the draft

Yeah, 21 of 48 picks were passed on plus 10 of those were acquired by the team that passed in trade. So it shows you how little value there once passed the second round if even that.

Initial B
01-15-2019, 07:57 AM
MLS needs to realize, 10 years ago in the 2009 draft rounds 1 through 4 picked 60 players total. In 2019, that amount was picked by the middle of round 3. I don't think there is any less or as good talent as there used to be, it's just that there are more teams picking. By the time the league hits 30 teams, two rounds will pick as many players as 4 rounds used to. There's only so much talent each year to go around. The NBA draft only has two rounds, I think that's perfectly adequate for MLS's needs.