PDA

View Full Version : Match Day 25 - Impact @ TFC Saturday August 25 8pm - To Hold & Have

OgtheDim
08-20-2018, 06:12 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RaU6DNBRxU

Yes I'm sure, that this can all go wrong and
I am sure there won't always be laughter
At night I come home from dreaming of the future
I come home from dreaming that we'll somehow
Divide and I can't stop dreaming
Oh believing, in what we have
In what we have

Have at It People

ManUtd4ever
08-20-2018, 09:34 AM
Do or die. It's pretty straight forward at this point.

Voodooman
08-20-2018, 11:06 AM
I dont care if the season is over or not.

We never want to lose to Montreal. Even when they stunk last season, they brought it to us and kicked our butts.

This game always has a ton of meaning. Time to kill it!

pfk
08-20-2018, 01:49 PM
TFC's playoff chances are sitting at 6.3%
http://www.sportsclubstats.com/USA/TorontoFC.html

It goes up to 9.3% if they beat Montreal on Sat.

Joe Kool
08-20-2018, 01:58 PM
I dont care if the season is over or not.

We never want to lose to Montreal. Even when they stunk last season, they brought it to us and kicked our butts.

This game always has a ton of meaning. Time to kill it!

Here here...kick their ass badly please.

SarniaTFC
08-20-2018, 02:18 PM
Couldn’t agree more! We could be sitting with zero wins this season and I’d still classify this match as massive. It’s the biggest derby of the year at home for god sakes. It’s never nice losing a derby match. Massive one for the boys and I can’t wait to be inside BMO!! COYR

Derko
08-20-2018, 02:33 PM
Don't start the Zavaleta, Hagglund or Morgan. Maybe play Clint Irwin, he had a great game against Vancouver

SarniaTFC
08-20-2018, 02:53 PM
Don't start the Zavaleta, Hagglund or Morgan. Maybe play Clint Irwin, he had a great game against Vancouver

Zavaleta should never be starting. He’s such a liability at the back. I’m thinking Moor is back fit now so he should start and with Mavinga back from suspension he will be ready to go as well.
My Starting 11:
Bono
VDW Moor Mavinga
Auro El Capitano Morrow
Oso Delgado
Seba Jozy
if Vasquez is fit then drop Auro and go a back four with Vasquez in front of Oso and Marky to complete the diamond.

OgtheDim
08-20-2018, 03:25 PM
Auro is injured.

I'd rather have VDW as the RB in a 4-4-2 then Zavs starting as the RCB in a 3-5-2 but I suspect we go with the 3-5-2.

Joe Kool
08-20-2018, 03:43 PM
Auro is injured.

I'd rather have VDW as the RB in a 4-4-2 then Zavs starting as the RCB in a 3-5-2 but I suspect we go with the 3-5-2.

I think you are right. Would love to see Vazquez in there but who knows what his health status is these days. Great thing is I don't have to have that pressure of picking the lineup. I just have to make sure I am at the stadium on time....Go Reds!

Blindside16
08-21-2018, 02:38 AM
At this point I would be extremely surprised if wee make the playoffs. I have had this feeling for a while now. With that being said. Win this fucking game!!! Losing to the Limpact is never an option.

Mekajake
08-21-2018, 08:07 AM
Need to put the best on who's healthy - I think that means a 4-4-2. Have VDW & Morrow bombing down the flanks.

Bono
VDW Moor Mavinga Morrow
Bradley
Delgado Osorio
VV
Seba Jozy

If VV isn't healthy enough to start would like to see Janson slotted in. Seemed to be moving the ball well early in SJ and find space himself. If can link up with Seba or spring guys that's what the team will need. Hard to say if either he or VV is fit enough for 90 though.

Kamp Berg
08-21-2018, 08:22 AM
I can’t help but wonder if Janson was brought in to play in a 4-3-3 when Vasquez isn’t healthy. Re-imagines Gio’s role without moving him into the midfield.

Bono
VDW-Moor-Mavinga-Morrow
Delgado-Bradley-Osorio
Janson-Altidore-Giovinco

pfk
08-21-2018, 08:27 AM
I think you are right. Would love to see Vazquez in there but who knows what his health status is these days. Great thing is I don't have to have that pressure of picking the lineup. I just have to make sure I am at the stadium on time....Go Reds!

Don't forget the Ex is on, so plan accordingly to get through the weekend crowds!

SarniaTFC
08-21-2018, 08:41 AM
I know it’s early still, but is there any plans in place for a march to the match? Always love this march pre game to get hyped for the match.

Joe Kool
08-21-2018, 09:23 AM
Don't forget the Ex is on, so plan accordingly to get through the weekend crowds!

For sure. Hitting a 5PM GO train so I am good. Got to get my belly full at the Food Building pregame.

JayMolly
08-21-2018, 10:06 AM
Would of preferred an earlier start for the match.
The match will be over around 10:00 p.m.
The buildings at the ex close at 10:00 p.m.
Wow, most people will be trying to leave the grounds at the same time!

tfcfans
08-21-2018, 10:24 AM
The Food Building is staying open until 11:00pm on the next two Saturdays for the post-TFC crowd......at least someone was thinking proactively on that front....

From the CNE website - Hours: 10 am to 10pm (daily).10 am to 11 pm (Saturdays: August 25 & September 1 - due to Toronto FC Games).

Would of preferred an earlier start for the match.
The match will be over around 10:00 p.m.
The buildings at the ex close at 10:00 p.m.
Wow, most people will be trying to leave the grounds at the same time!

TFC1986
08-21-2018, 10:33 AM
Too bad in & out of stadium at half time isn't allowed :(
I always took Columbus Crew as the one team I never want to see our team lose too. Also because they were our main close by competition when we joined the league, and they have actually won trophies.
Regardless shouldn't be losing to Montreal. Its like losing to a younger brother

JuliquE
08-21-2018, 10:42 AM
I can’t help but wonder if Janson was brought in to play in a 4-3-3 when Vasquez isn’t healthy. Re-imagines Gio’s role without moving him into the midfield.

Bono
VDW-Moor-Mavinga-Morrow
Delgado-Bradley-Osorio
Janson-Altidore-Giovinco
Would love to see this, but Giovinco—God bless him—simply won't provide enough defence/pressing for it to work, nor do I think, at his age and as he gets on, that we should be asking that of him; he excels in a manor similar to Messi, almost looking disinterested, and then exploding into action.

Likely we'll see Delgado at the top of the diamond, again, if neither of VV or Janson can go 90 mins.

Tunnelred
08-21-2018, 10:43 AM
A win for us would also put a dent in Impacts play off push, and if we don’t make the playoffs, helping to keep them out would be an alright consolation prize I guess.

pfk
08-21-2018, 10:56 AM
A win for us would also put a dent in Impacts play off push, and if we don’t make the playoffs, helping to keep them out would be an alright consolation prize I guess.

The season has been so frustrating, so any consolation prize is an extra plus at this point! With DC surging and a very hopeful hot streak for TFC, maybe we can make them miss the playoffs.

Tunnelred
08-21-2018, 11:04 AM
The season has been so frustrating, so any consolation prize is an extra plus at this point! With DC surging and a very hopeful hot streak for TFC, maybe we can make them miss the playoffs.

It would be the best if we sneak in at their expense!

OgtheDim
08-21-2018, 11:18 AM
Has anybody over the last couple of years used their ticket on their phone to get into the Ex? Any issues? Trying to avoid printing my ticket.

Voodooman
08-21-2018, 12:27 PM
Alright I had to laugh at this remark from Seba.

https://twitter.com/joshuakloke/status/1031951785936674816?s=19

JT Red127
08-21-2018, 12:27 PM
Has anybody over the last couple of years used their ticket on their phone to get into the Ex? Any issues? Trying to avoid printing my ticket.

I have a few times, no issues so far.

burlington Red
08-21-2018, 12:35 PM
can I take my son, both of us going to TFC game at say 2 in the afternoon and get in free to the ex or do you only get in free when stadium is open. are there any restrictions re time when you cant get in free with ur ticket. wouldn't mind making a day of it with him then hit the game

OgtheDim
08-21-2018, 12:44 PM
can I take my son, both of us going to TFC game at say 2 in the afternoon and get in free to the ex or do you only get in free when stadium is open. are there any restrictions re time when you cant get in free with ur ticket. wouldn't mind making a day of it with him then hit the game

You get in free all day.

DeRo2015
08-21-2018, 12:59 PM
Is Jozy eligible to play on Saturday?

A Stick
08-21-2018, 02:43 PM
The Dears are a great band.

Red CB Toronto
08-21-2018, 04:11 PM

I have never had an issue, you just show it to them.

Defoe
08-21-2018, 10:38 PM

Bono
VDW-Moor-Mavinga-Morrow
Delgado-Bradley-Osorio
Janson-Altidore-Giovinco

I think you are right. Management may know something about V's injury we don't; hence prioritizing the attack not center back. I can only speculate. I hope Vazquez can be healthy again.

TFC Tifoso
08-22-2018, 06:47 AM
and a note for the smokers in the crowd, as most of us were surprised last Wednesday anyways.....

there is NO smoking area as there usually is outside of Gate 1 for the "Ex games".....get your butts in before the game and sit tight till the end of the match.
Apparently that area is "CNE grounds" for the next 2 weeks, and they aren't giving it up to TFC for the smoking area.
Would've been nice for TFC to inform beforehand....there were lots of angry people at half time last week.....

burlington Red
08-22-2018, 08:17 AM
You get in free all day.

cheers for that

GlenM
08-22-2018, 10:14 AM

Yes, I believe Jozy is eligible to play.

He got a 1 game suspension missed the road vs San Jose game so he's good.

No Mavinga, he's still suspended 3 games so this would be last game I think he'll miss. (missed NYC FC & SJ games)

GlenM

DinamoTFC
08-22-2018, 10:21 AM

No Mavinga, he's still suspended 3 games so this would be last game I think he'll miss. (missed NYC FC & SJ games)

GlenM

Where does it say hes suspended 3 games? I remember our reporters saying 2 games. 1+1 additional

SarniaTFC
08-22-2018, 11:00 AM

GlenM

Mavinga was only suspended for 2 games. He will be available for selection on Saturday.

Oldtimer
08-22-2018, 11:03 AM

GlenM

Where does it say hes suspended 3 games? I remember our reporters saying 2 games. 1+1 additional

Mavinga was only suspended for two games.

Proof: https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/08/10/mls-disciplinary-committee-suspends-mavinga-yotun-additional-game

I expect him back for this game.

pfk
08-22-2018, 12:40 PM
According to the MLS Injury report, only Auro is still out with a hamstring injury. Is VV ready to go?
https://www.mlssoccer.com/injuries

Oldtimer
08-22-2018, 01:59 PM
According to the MLS Injury report, only Auro is still out with a hamstring injury. Is VV ready to go?

I would guess so.

Woah. RSL, 7 out + 3 questionable.

OgtheDim
08-22-2018, 02:07 PM
Right now the weather call is for light rain most of the day.

GlenM
08-22-2018, 02:31 PM
Mavinga was only suspended for two games.

Proof: https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/08/10/mls-disciplinary-committee-suspends-mavinga-yotun-additional-game

I expect him back for this game.

Thanks for the Mavinga update.

I'm glad he's back for Saturday's game vs Impact.

GlenM

DeRo2015
08-22-2018, 03:11 PM
Really looking forward to this one!

pfk
08-22-2018, 03:27 PM
This is the first game since, maybe the CCL where TFC have had the full healthy squad? (Let's not include the NYCFC game since Jozy got that dumb red card. ha)

In other news, Vanney believes TFC can slip into the playoffs.

“I don’t think we need to win 10 games to get into the playoffs but I still think the minimum number is probably seven that we have to win. There’s your margin, right there. It’s slim. Very slim,” coach Greg Vanney conceded.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/tfc-notebook-slim-margin-error-mls-champs/

It also looked like Seba has a tender groin, hence he didn't start in San Jose.

Hermy12
08-22-2018, 05:31 PM
And Jozy suspended....

SarniaTFC
08-22-2018, 05:37 PM
Terrible news for the team ahead of Saturday as Jozy Altidore has been suspended an additional game. Huge blow in my opinion.

benito
08-22-2018, 05:39 PM
Jozy is suspended for this match too. MLS announced that he is receiving an extra game. It’s unbelievable that it took the league 10 days to announce the additional match.

Https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/tfcs-jozy-alitdore-suspended-fined-actions-nycfc/ (https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/tfcs-jozy-alitdore-suspended-fined-actions-nycfc/)

notthesun
08-22-2018, 05:44 PM
Sigh...

leedsandTFC
08-22-2018, 05:44 PM
why an extra game?

it wasnt that bad and seeing as it was in the 11th minute he's basically already missed two games.

absolute joke.

leedsandTFC
08-22-2018, 05:51 PM
lineup needs to be:

bono

vdw moor mavinga morrow
osario bradley delgado vasquez
gio janson

if vasquez is injured auro comes in and they go 5 at the back.

Redcoe15
08-22-2018, 06:15 PM
Fuck!

Massive douchey move by MLS. Would they do this to anyone of the players on their new favorite team Atlanta? Fuck no! Not if it ruins their chances of breaking TFC's all time record from last year and awards them the MLS Cup on a silver plater.

This was a deliberate move on MLS's part.

tfcfans
08-22-2018, 06:21 PM
Jozy is suspended for this match too. MLS announced that he is receiving an extra game. It’s unbelievable that it took the league 10 days to announce the additional match.

Https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/tfcs-jozy-alitdore-suspended-fined-actions-nycfc/ (https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/tfcs-jozy-alitdore-suspended-fined-actions-nycfc/)

I think this sums up the year in so many ways.....just when you think "maybe", this will be a week we see a full lineup again....then at the last minute it's yanked away again....at some point you just have to admit this is the season from hell in response to the season from heaven of last year.....again, if given the choice of having 2017 being the price for having 2018 I would do it again in a heartbeat as there are no guarantees of Championships no matter how good or consistent you are - just ask NYRB.....at this point I am rooting against any team reaching 69 points and frankly against Atlanta especially winning a title as it all just seems too preordained for them as the "leagues darlings" (let them suffer for a decade and see what their attendance looks like rather than start their franchise with one of the top teams in Years 1 and 2), let some non-offensive West team like KC win after a 60 point season.....what can I say, I guess I'm bitter.....:rolleyes:

tfcfans
08-22-2018, 06:22 PM
Fuck!

Massive douchey move by MLS. Would they do this to anyone of the players on their new favorite team Atlanta? Fuck no! Not if it ruins their chances of breaking TFC's all time record from last year and awards them the MLS Cup on a silver plater.

Wow - I swear I did not see your post while typing mine....weird.....ha ha ha

FootBallAZ
08-22-2018, 06:24 PM
Lol , lol
This I have no idea what to say,
Season is done jozy may as well slide tackle.some one hard afk may be almiron,

This is a.joke1, we need to send message to the league, to the ownership , and intimidated the fk out of the refs

OgtheDim
08-22-2018, 06:29 PM
When I saw him kick out, I said "He's gone - 3 games." Was very surprised at him not getting a second game right from the get go.

I would say Janson is an interesting partner for Seba - this is a good test of his playing IQ & lets see who plays off each other. Not much of a target for Bono to kick towards but I've noticed that Osorio & Delgado have been getting better at this latetly.

Janson looks to be better then Ricketts at finishing and getting into spaces. Against that defence, I'll take this as an opportunity.

Tunnelred
08-22-2018, 06:40 PM
Hopefully Vazquez is good to play. VV, Seba, Janson should be able to unlock the Impact defence.

leedsandTFC
08-22-2018, 06:40 PM
do we know vv status?

pfk
08-22-2018, 06:49 PM
Holy shit the MLS is bush league! Ten days to announce an extra game on Jozy, WTF?

Of course, Almiron spits on Mavinga and gets nada.

zorsofstesab
08-22-2018, 06:53 PM
Time for the injured to suck it up and play through some of the minor injuries that ail them. Plenty of time to rest if we knocked out of playoff contention. If you can walk, you can play.

Oldtimer
08-22-2018, 07:10 PM
Fuck!

The fix is in.

First refuse to reschedule all but one game during the CCL.

Then plan a schedule that has TFC criss-cross the continent over and over in short time.

Then fail to review other teams hacking down Seba but punish TFC severely.

It's almost like they want the Canadian club out completely so that two US teams can be in the final. Then ratings should be high in the all important US market.

tfcfans
08-22-2018, 07:24 PM
On a side note - what’s going on with the forums?! I’m getting dead links to a different domain especially when using my phone....anyone else still getting things hit and miss with the forums since yesterday afternoon or so?!

Derko
08-22-2018, 07:25 PM
The fix is in.

Then plan a schedule that has TFC criss-cross the continent over and over in short time.

It's almost like they want the Canadian club out completely so that two US teams can be in the final. Then ratings should be high in the all important US market.

I agree that the fix is in, lets not be a good polite Canadian fanbase from know on, let's go ballistic, litter the field, throw shit at the linesmen and refs, throw shit at the opposing teams and coaches, just venting, but if you are going to take a red card, break someone's legs doing it. The fuck with good sportsmanship

Richard
08-22-2018, 07:31 PM

If the team learned this as we are now then TFC should file a grievance with FIFA.

Under no circumstances should TFC have to worry about a player being suspended 10 additional days after the fact. The team fully prepared for Jozy to be in the lineup and now must scrap that plan.

MLS corruption at its best.

OgtheDim
08-22-2018, 07:53 PM
On a side note - what’s going on with the forums?! I’m getting dead links to a different domain especially when using my phone....anyone else still getting things hit and miss with the forums since yesterday afternoon or so?!

Yup, was getting a 404 error for 24 hours or so.

urdiub
08-22-2018, 08:30 PM
Absolutely ridiculous that this comes through right now, the MLS is a joke. This has been happening all season, Maxi Moralez kicks out at Osorio in the same game as Altidore - nothing. NOT EVEN a one game retroactive suspension for what should have been an easy red card.

Earlier this season, Giovinco gets a red for grabbing a guys face vs New England. At that time I was told that hand to the face = automatic red. Haven't seen anything to follow that as of late. Urruti did it to Hagglund in the dallas vs tfc game this year and nothing came of it.

Just now, Kemar Lawrence shoves Tinnerholm to the ground around neck level - yellow card. Mavinga on the other hand straight red vs Atlanta after being provoked.

On the note of this thread, I see TFC taking this one 2-1. Mavinga is back and he's the X Factor for this team.

TFC1986
08-22-2018, 08:50 PM
You can go right when the CNE doors open at 10am or however early it is.

Areathrasher
08-22-2018, 09:14 PM
The fix is in.

Calm down. Houston didn't agree to a re-schedule not the league, the league were all for it. Remember when TFC moved the DC game? Red Bulls moved their game with Houston, Houston weren't doing it twice. Which is absolutely their right.

And the league schedule was set well before the CCL draw was made.

Oldtimer
08-22-2018, 09:37 PM
And the league schedule was set well before the CCL draw was made.

With all of those cross continental flights in a very short time. Certainly no other MLS club has had to deal with this.

Anyway, I want our guys to win or go down fighting, no matter what the odds.

Initial B
08-22-2018, 10:04 PM
I'm flabbergasted. Is there any precedent for waiting 10 days to hand down additional punishment? I'd be okay if they declared Altidore suspended 2 games when they initially handed down their ruling. That would be fair. But to wait *that long* a period of time, with the club thinking everything was done? Something's fishy here...

Blindside16
08-23-2018, 02:39 AM
The fix is in.

I had this exact discussion earlier tonight. To me it reeks of the fix being in. The league I believe is terrified of us going on a late season run, winning MLS cup and fucking up their CCL allotments again. Since Atlanta joined the league, Garber & Co. have had a hard on for them. Mavinga 2 games for a one handed push (I wouldn't even call it a smack) and Almiron nothing for spitting on him. Martinez head butt ( on Jozy I think) and nothing but Jozy gets 2 games (and the 2nd being announced 10 days after the incident and 72 hours before our Derby match to completely screw with the game prep). They want Atlanta to break the points record and Martinez to demolish the scoring record.

It is a joke

OgtheDim
08-23-2018, 06:14 AM
The across continental flights thing happens the exact same every time we play Vancouver in the Voyageurs.

Flights are flights and we will always have at least 3 to the West coast.

As for the timing of the suspension, other players on other teams have had these second games provided late - the usual reason is an appeal of the extension fails.

ensco
08-23-2018, 06:56 AM
I am OK with the suspension.

I am not OK with the scheduling thing. There is something unfair about the totality of it this year. It’s not 3 flights.

Have a guess at how many times Montreal has had to play a game in 4 nights or fewer after a 4+ hour flight.....

One

What kind of “competitive balance” is that? We have played 11 games like that. After next week we will have played 13 games after 4+ hour flights within 3/4 nights of the previous game, within 5 months.

The particular combination of fixture congestion with transcon flying is lethal, insane. I will wager a pint that no other team in soccer history in any serious league has ever done that 13 times in 5 months.

The league owes some kind of duty to every team in CCL to look out for these kinds of things, and to any team that runs into something like this. Whether the league office intervene or don’t, when these kinds of things arise, they will be accused of interfering with competitive balance.

But by sitting on their hands, they have gotten this wrong, they have interfered just by doing nothing and letting it happen. They should have moved some games around. Last weeks game in SJ and next weeks game in Portland being Exhibit 1A and 1B - these are an effing travesty. Especially the Portland game. Jesus H Christ, to have to play home, away west coast, home, in 7 days, after all this, that could have been addressed. (In blaming the league, I am assuming Manning tried to address this with the league and failed, but if he didn’t, that is a problem also)

I missed this issue in April, when I was sanguine about the league making us throw the games to Colorado and Houston, but I am pissed about that now. We mostly come from the school that you have to fight through adversity. But this isn’t adversity, or bad luck, it could have and should have been addressed but wasn’t. This is an abdication by the league, malpractice. It has gone way, way too far. We have been cheated out of the opportunity of watching decent football. Our guys can barely get out of bed.

ag futbol
08-23-2018, 08:10 AM
I'm flabbergasted. Is there any precedent for waiting 10 days to hand down additional punishment? I'd be okay if they declared Altidore suspended 2 games when they initially handed down their ruling. That would be fair. But to wait *that long* a period of time, with the club thinking everything was done? Something's fishy here...
Yeah I agree. If this league is going to grow it’s fan base it needs to be more transparent. This kind of stuff matters to fans and it can’t be so as hoc. They should have the decision no later than two days after the game. It isn’t rocket science.

Did any beat reporter ask the club for an update along the way? It’s unbelievable how poor the coverage can be at times. We’re just left to wonder as fans what is happening.

Oldtimer
08-23-2018, 08:20 AM
I missed this issue in April, when I was sanguine about the league making us throw the games to Colorado and Houston, but I am pissed about that now. We mostly come from the school that you have to fight through adversity. But this isn’t adversity, or bad luck, it could have and should have been addressed but wasn’t. This is an abdication by the league, malpractice. It has gone way, way too far. We have been cheated out of the opportunity of watching decent football. Our guys can barely get out of bed.

Seba joking that even the plane was ill is a perfect example of gallows humour by a team that is dead tired. No way they can compete given this.

pfk
08-23-2018, 10:22 AM
This is probably the wrong place to post this (sorry), but according to this Oliver Platt tweet, Inebriatti are finished as an official supporters' group.
https://twitter.com/plattoli/status/1032616971689500673

Derko
08-23-2018, 11:39 AM
This is probably the wrong place to post this (sorry), but according to this Oliver Platt tweet, Inebriatti are finished as an official supporters' group.
https://twitter.com/plattoli/status/1032616971689500673

A shame that the one's not involved have to pay the price for the actions of a few idiots. But as I said before, you hang around the barn long enough you come out smelling like shit.

TFC can win this game even though Altidore is wrongfully suspended an additional game, and if VV is still injured, the boys have to grit it out, come on TFC beat the L'mpact

OgtheDim
08-23-2018, 12:19 PM
Injury update

same old same old

https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/1032675123831046144

DinamoTFC
08-23-2018, 12:36 PM
Injury update

same old same old

There has to be an issue with the trainers and program these players are on. The amount of injuries does no make sense. They've all had plenty of time out to recover.

GlenM
08-23-2018, 02:03 PM

No, MLS added an extra game to his suspension

GlenM

GhostKiller
08-23-2018, 02:35 PM
How is Mavinga injured again????
I think VV's knee is done. It's been an issue for the entire season.

portu
08-23-2018, 04:35 PM
How is Mavinga injured again????
I think VV's knee is done. It's been an issue for the entire season.
Good thing the FO extended him and doubled his money!

ensco
08-23-2018, 05:38 PM
Good thing the FO extended him and doubled his money!

Why are you wasting time here?

You can see the future, just go and pick the 6/49 numbers...

portu
08-23-2018, 07:51 PM
Why are you wasting time here?

You can see the future, just go and pick the 6/49 numbers...
Obviously was a bit over the top... but I will always argue that doubling the money of a guy in his 30's when you have him on a bargain deal and supposedly just signed his long-term replacement is an idiotic piece of business.

Voodooman
08-23-2018, 07:54 PM
Molinaro confirming that TFC knew of the extra game suspension for Jozy last week.

They appealed and were denied. That is why its only being announced now.

molenshtain
08-23-2018, 07:57 PM
I still don't understand why what he did warrants an extra game though.

ensco
08-23-2018, 08:23 PM
Obviously was a bit over the top... but I will always argue that doubling the money of a guy in his 30's when you have him on a bargain deal and supposedly just signed his long-term replacement is an idiotic piece of business.

They just extended him, I think. I don't think they doubled his comp.

molenshtain
08-23-2018, 08:27 PM
https://www.prosoccerusa.com/mls/toronto-fc-salaries-2018/It appears they did^^. I'm surprised too. Didn't catch that during the off-season.

andyc
08-23-2018, 09:26 PM

He's 27 not in his 30's.... 3 years in his 20's is not a bad decision at face value

portu
08-23-2018, 10:05 PM
He's 27 not in his 30's.... 3 years in his 20's is not a bad decision at face value
31 years old..

molenshtain
08-23-2018, 10:06 PM
with a serious history of knee injuries...

stevep
08-24-2018, 07:47 AM
I had this exact discussion earlier tonight. To me it reeks of the fix being in. The league I believe is terrified of us going on a late season run, winning MLS cup and fucking up their CCL allotments again. Since Atlanta joined the league, Garber & Co. have had a hard on for them. Mavinga 2 games for a one handed push (I wouldn't even call it a smack) and Almiron nothing for spitting on him. Martinez head butt ( on Jozy I think) and nothing but Jozy gets 2 games (and the 2nd being announced 10 days after the incident and 72 hours before our Derby match to completely screw with the game prep). They want Atlanta to break the points record and Martinez to demolish the scoring record.

It is a joke

its quite obvious now that for this year anyways the league does not want tfc in the playoffs for whatever reason
I also believe TFC is in on it also.

stevep
08-24-2018, 08:05 AM
Injury update

same old same old

I believe it is really a difficult task to get players to intentionally play poorly but you can remove the top players by suspension or "injuries" to make the game more competitive or to give the team the league desires to win the match an advantage. it changes the probability of a win

how do we know they are injured? we don't. it is unproveable by the fan.

For me this is so easy to see that this is what they have done. To have come to this realization is pretty devastating for me. I am a season ticket holder and I love TFC and for TFC and the league to do this really hurts.

ps: it just hit me another way they do it is via scheduling. tip of the cap to Ensco for the earlier post. it clicked in minutes later after reading his post that this is another method of match outcome determination

Oldtimer
08-24-2018, 08:17 AM
I believe it is really a difficult task to get players to intentionally play poorly but you can remove the top players by suspension or "injuries" to make the game more competitive or to give the team the league desires to win the match an advantage.

For me this is so easy to see that this is what they have done. To have come to this realization is pretty devastating for me. I am a season ticket holder and I love TFC and for TFC and the league to do this really hurts.

I don't know if the injuries are fake, but it sure seems that TFC is being unusually cautious in putting players back into play. Is it due to fear of reinjury? Or is the league forcing things behind the scenes?

Red CB Toronto
08-24-2018, 08:18 AM
I believe it is really a difficult task to get players to intentionally play poorly but you can remove the top players by suspension or "injuries" to make the game more competitive or to give the team the league desires to win the match an advantage. it changes the probability of a win

ps: it just hit me another way they do it is via scheduling. tip of the cap to Ensco for the earlier post. it clicked in minutes later after reading his post that this is another method of match outcome determination

A player is injured or he is not simple as that, the league has nothing to do with this, at least from an injury standpoint.

Red CB Toronto
08-24-2018, 08:19 AM
I don't know if the injuries are fake, but it sure seems that TFC is being unusually cautious in putting players back into play. Is it due to fear of reinjury? Or is the league forcing things behind the scenes?

The league would have nothing to do with injuries, roster management is in the hands of the coach/gm.

red-o
08-24-2018, 08:35 AM
Is it due to fear of reinjury?
I don’t know if they are but I am afraid every time someone comes back.

OgtheDim
08-24-2018, 08:38 AM
So right now...the rain is due to start an hour before kickoff -

Thunderbolts & Lightning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thyJOnasHVE

Derko
08-24-2018, 11:05 AM

For me perception is reality, and my perception is there is an awful lot of manipulation going on, whether TFC is part of it or not I don't know, but I recall a comment I made awhile back that this season's results and TFC's lake of leadership on the field almost look like they are by design. This is Football so I would not put it past any league, team, player, or official to be coerced into match fixing.

Derko
08-24-2018, 11:15 AM
The league would have nothing to do with injuries, roster management is in the hands of the coach/gm.

Yes you are right but with undue pressure from the league to do so, the coach/gm just might

OgtheDim
08-24-2018, 11:21 AM
I think the only thing fixed at BMO tomorrow will be the carnie games - those jugs look just so easy to get that ring on.

Voodooman
08-24-2018, 11:25 AM
https://twitter.com/NeilMDavidson/status/1033023024532881408

Mavinga is confirmed out.

Osorio is a maybe now, Vazquez is a likely sub.

Moor and Giovinco to play full 90!

Initial B
08-24-2018, 12:12 PM
It makes me wonder if TFC is actually hoping they don't make the playoffs to give their core a good 2 months of recuperation from the last 30 months of play. If they don't make the playoffs, I can imagine the team starting training camp right after Christmas with an eye towards winning the CCL and achieving MLS's Holy Grail. Any of the American MLS teams that qualify for CCL will probably be just a worn down by the playoff grind that TFC was this year. I feel as if TFC is a wave that has pulled back from the shore preparing to surge and crest again. If they can produce another treble or quad next year, they would cement themselves as the greatest team in MLS ever. It would also give MLS's Front Office pause, as it would show that in order to win CCL you have to eschew MLS playoffs, which might not be their desired conclusion.

paul-collins
08-24-2018, 12:28 PM
I feel as if TFC is a wave that has pulled back from the shore preparing to surge and crest again.
Nice image

benito
08-24-2018, 12:48 PM
Mavinga is confirmed out. Osorio is a maybe now, Vazquez is a likely sub.

The injury bug has really bitten TFC this year. Another game with Hagglund or Zav starting is the scariest rollercoaster ride at the CNE this year.

Derko
08-24-2018, 01:26 PM
I think the only thing fixed at BMO tomorrow will be the carnie games - those jugs look just so easy to get that ring on.

I rung one once, walked around with a giant teddy all day,lol

portu
08-24-2018, 02:38 PM
https://twitter.com/NeilMDavidson/status/1033023024532881408

Mavinga is confirmed out.

Osorio is a maybe now, Vazquez is a likely sub.

Moor and Giovinco to play full 90!

Lmaooo fire this medical staff now pls

stevep
08-24-2018, 02:42 PM
A player is injured or he is not simple as that, the league has nothing to do with this, at least from an injury standpoint.

how do you know the player is really injured? you don't
how do I know the player is not injured? I don't

you are basing you beliefs upon statements made by TFC and trusting them as fact.
I am saying you cannot trust the staements made by TFC as fact, they could be lying.
This furthers my point that they have conspired along with MLS to throw this season. People are assigning all the blame to MLS when I believe TFC is fully complicit in this.

stevep
08-24-2018, 02:46 PM

most people like the above poster cannot accept that it is possible that TFC and MLS have deliberately conspired to throw this season.
It is a devastating realization for people to accept this possibility.

The game is not fixed, key players have been deliberately kept out of the game to make the game more competitive.
The opening odds on oddsring were TFC 1.41 today they are at 1.59
I will spare you the math but this is 9 points in a 34 game season.
All you gotta do is keep out a couple key players every game, throw a few games Colorado and Houston game 6 potential points
and there you have 15 points less than you would get in a normal season.

come on man it's obvious

Jack
08-24-2018, 02:54 PM
LOL yeah...obvious...

Derko
08-24-2018, 03:26 PM
Well now that the conspiracy theory stuff is out of the way, show us what you are made of TFC :scarf:

And I do believe anybody can be bought

Kamp Berg
08-24-2018, 03:38 PM
It makes me wonder if TFC is actually hoping they don't make the playoffs to give their core a good 2 months of recuperation from the last 30 months of play. If they don't make the playoffs, I can imagine the team starting training camp right after Christmas with an eye towards winning the CCL and achieving MLS's Holy Grail. Any of the American MLS teams that qualify for CCL will probably be just a worn down by the playoff grind that TFC was this year. I feel as if TFC is a wave that has pulled back from the shore preparing to surge and crest again. If they can produce another treble or quad next year, they would cement themselves as the greatest team in MLS ever. It would also give MLS's Front Office pause, as it would show that in order to win CCL you have to eschew MLS playoffs, which might not be their desired conclusion.

This seems the most probable situation of all the conspiracy theories going around. It might be the only way to force some real dialogue around the situation.

Richard
08-24-2018, 04:19 PM

I like this but our team has quite a few cracks now.

We need at least;

- Two starting CB's,
- Replacement for Vazquez because lets face it he is done
- Backup striker for Giovinco and Altidore
- Replacement for Osorio
- Possibly a new winger, LWB, FB

portu
08-24-2018, 04:32 PM

We need at least;

- Two starting CB's,
- Replacement for Osorio

I'd say this is roughly accurate. It will be super interesting to see if Janson stays. I'm surprised it hasn't been a bigger topic of conversation. That transfer fee makes him a DP meaning this club is outright planning for a January where a DP leaves.

flatpicker
08-24-2018, 04:33 PM
Damn it! All this time I thought the game was in Montreal.
And now I've got plans to be out of town. :(
Well I feel stupid.

Redpunkfiddle
08-24-2018, 05:28 PM
What a weird season. What a weird conspiracy theory.

It's not capital M mathematic Must win, but it's lower case must win. Montreal seems like the only team we can catch.

Kamp Berg
08-24-2018, 05:40 PM
What a weird season. What a weird conspiracy theory.

It's not capital M mathematic Must win, but it's lower case must win. Montreal seems like the only team we can catch.

Taking Montreal’s playoff spot would be the most poetic of justice 😉👍🏻

molenshtain
08-24-2018, 06:01 PM

We need at least;

- Two starting CB's,
- Replacement for Osorio

One CB. We have Mavinga.

Yeah, grant you that one. Ricketts will be the best player in the CPL next year.

Osorio isn't gone yet and we have cap room and incoming TAM to work with.

Might be hard to get rid of/sign another Vazquez. We doubled his salary and gave him extra years in the off-season. I don't know how the buyout rule works anymore but if it applies I would take a look at it. We may see that position become more a combination of Seba's, Oso's and maybe a loan signing.

We don't really play with wingers and the one's we do have are serviceable enough. We also have four of the best FB's/WB's (not to mention expensive) in the league. Improvement there is a pipe dream.

*We need another Mavinga for sure. A buck-up striker who can hold the ball up well enough when Jozy's absent. beyond that I don't think there's a ton of room for improvement. I will stay take our whole squad over anyone else's in the league, no doubt about.

I don't think that we're demonstrably worse this year than last, just extremely injury prone and very unlucky. No reason to blow the whole thing up just because we had one 4 month period of bad results - most of which we were fielding our b or c teams for.

Anyway. Montreal at home during the Ex will be fun.

Brooker
08-24-2018, 07:53 PM
I am OK with the suspension.

I am not OK with the scheduling thing. There is something unfair about the totality of it this year. It’s not 3 flights.

Have a guess at how many times Montreal has had to play a game in 4 nights or fewer after a 4+ hour flight.....

One

What kind of “competitive balance” is that? We have played 11 games like that. After next week we will have played 13 games after 4+ hour flights within 3/4 nights of the previous game, within 5 months.

The particular combination of fixture congestion with transcon flying is lethal, insane. I will wager a pint that no other team in soccer history in any serious league has ever done that 13 times in 5 months.

The league owes some kind of duty to every team in CCL to look out for these kinds of things, and to any team that runs into something like this. Whether the league office intervene or don’t, when these kinds of things arise, they will be accused of interfering with competitive balance.

But by sitting on their hands, they have gotten this wrong, they have interfered just by doing nothing and letting it happen. They should have moved some games around. Last weeks game in SJ and next weeks game in Portland being Exhibit 1A and 1B - these are an effing travesty. Especially the Portland game. Jesus H Christ, to have to play home, away west coast, home, in 7 days, after all this, that could have been addressed. (In blaming the league, I am assuming Manning tried to address this with the league and failed, but if he didn’t, that is a problem also)

No-one likes us. Are we Millwall but only successful? Looks like it.

http://media.giphy.com/media/ap6wcjRyi8HoA/giphy.gif

KGH
08-24-2018, 08:33 PM
The only problem with that theory is tfc doesn't alone determine when they can start camp. There's a CBA and league rules. Camps haven't been allowed to start until after the draft which has been historically mid to end of January.

Redcoe15
08-24-2018, 08:47 PM
no-one likes us. Are we Millwall but only successful? Looks like it.llluuuuuuve...thiiiiiiiis!!!!!

ag futbol
08-24-2018, 09:57 PM
how do you know the player is really injured? you don't
how do I know the player is not injured? I don't

you are basing you beliefs upon statements made by TFC and trusting them as fact.
I am saying you cannot trust the staements made by TFC as fact, they could be lying.
This furthers my point that they have conspired along with MLS to throw this season. People are assigning all the blame to MLS when I believe TFC is fully complicit in this.
They are putting subliminal messages in my breakfast cereal too. I was looking at it this morning and it said “ooooooo [toronto]”

I purchased a 4-pack of tickets immediately.

leedsandTFC
08-24-2018, 10:25 PM
do montreal have any injuries?

lol

Oldtimer
08-24-2018, 10:49 PM
do montreal have any injuries?

lol

Two injured players, neither of them really important.

stevep
08-25-2018, 03:19 AM
Two injured players, neither of them really important.

of course Montreal has nobody of importance injured.

It's really simple how it's done. take two key players out for TFC and the TFC win probability goes down by 10%.
at the start of the week tfc odds of winning was 1.41 or around 70%
as of now the tfc odds of winning is 1.64 or around 60%
taking Mavinga and Jozy out dropped the winning percentage by 10%
the Jozy and Mavinga announcements just occured recently and when the announcements came the betting odds changed

AlanO
08-25-2018, 07:14 AM

It's really simple how it's done. take two key players out for TFC and the TFC win probability goes down by 10%.
the Jozy and Mavinga announcements just occured recently and when the announcements came the betting odds changed
All those chemtrails from the planes landing at Billy Bishop must be wafting over BMO field.

Oldtimer
08-25-2018, 08:39 AM
Glad TFC still is odds on favourite to win.

This is a "must win" game if there ever was one.

Let's hope this crippled roster can pull it off.

SarniaTFC
08-25-2018, 08:47 AM
So I’m guessing there are no plans for a march pre game? Haven’t seen anything mentioned anywhere.
Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

shwade
08-25-2018, 10:45 AM

For this to be true then practically anyone who's on Toronto FC payroll would have to be involved in this. Upper management, Training staff, coaching staff, players - from starters to TFC 2, translators, friends and family of all the above...one of the dumber things I've read on this board.

I do believe the LEAGUE has it in for us though..the schedule, terrible refereeing, lack of VAR for our side, opposition playing like thugs, disco only assessing TFC...etc etc

ChrisFizik
08-25-2018, 12:17 PM
https://twitter.com/RedPatchBoys/status/1033391774251868161?s=09

barticusz
08-25-2018, 02:29 PM
Is this the match up TFC needs to finally rise to the occasion and turn the season around? A beat down on Montreal seems like just the concoction to boost the morale and drive them forward.

Even with all the injuries this team needs to band together and realize they aren't the Champions anymore. Hoping to see the a solid performance tonight.

PawTar711
08-25-2018, 02:31 PM
We need to win this game in order to solidify a position in the Eastern conference leader boards. We have to win tonight to set precedent that we can win against our Highway 401 rivals, and I think its a good place to do so, at home, to pick up points, and make it to the playoffs, this year.

samuraizero
08-25-2018, 03:46 PM
Just out of curiosity. Does tickets today get us into CNE?
Dumb question I'm sure it's been asked

ag futbol
08-25-2018, 04:57 PM
It does, yes

BakaGaijin
08-25-2018, 06:20 PM
Any streams for this match?

Defoe
08-25-2018, 06:27 PM
Not bad

https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/1033489425429192704

(https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/1033489425429192704)

rydermike
08-25-2018, 06:43 PM
I'd say this is roughly accurate. It will be super interesting to see if Janson stays. I'm surprised it hasn't been a bigger topic of conversation. That transfer fee makes him a DP meaning this club is outright planning for a January where a DP leaves.

I just thought of a random theory. Likely untrue but it seems like a Bez move. The team wanted to buy Janson buy Tigre had too high an asking price (3.7 million) so TFC negotiated the loan+buy option deal. By having Janson here they can try and sell him on the situation but come the end of the season, they decline the purchase option because it's too pricey. However, by having Janson here they could have him want to join Toronto permanently and put pressure on Tigre to sell him here for a lower fee with Janson not wanting him to return since they tried to get rid of him on the original deal, and saying he will only sign with TFC, maybe they can get say a 2 million transfer fee which maybe they can TAM down. Not sure how much TAM we have for next year. Long shot, but a random thought I had.

Also management may be aware of a new MLS spending announcement that could come in the offseason and that's why they did the loan + buy deal. Maybe a fourth DP spot opens. MLS is always adding new rules.

barticusz
08-25-2018, 06:56 PM
Not bad

https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/1033489425429192704

(https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/1033489425429192704)

Best lineup we could hope for. Time to get it done Reds!!

portu
08-25-2018, 06:56 PM
I just thought of a random theory. Likely untrue but it seems like a Bez move. The team wanted to buy Janson buy Tigre had too high an asking price (3.7 million) so TFC negotiated the loan+buy option deal. By having Janson here they can try and sell him on the situation but come the end of the season, they decline the purchase option because it's too pricey. However, by having Janson here they could have him want to join Toronto permanently and put pressure on Tigre to sell him here for a lower fee with Janson not wanting him to return since they tried to get rid of him on the original deal, and saying he will only sign with TFC, maybe they can get say a 2 million transfer fee which maybe they can TAM down. Not sure how much TAM we have for next year. Long shot, but a random thought I had.

Also management may be aware of a new MLS spending announcement that could come in the offseason and that's why they did the loan + buy deal. Maybe a fourth DP spot opens. MLS is always adding new rules.

I could see the second scenario happening, but not the first. The first scenario just requires too drastic of a cut in the transfer fee. In order for a transfer fee to work it'd have to be ~1M and to get there from 3.7M is so difficult to imagine. Pulling such a move would also ruin the reputation of this club in future deals and especially in the South American market.

I honestly think it's likely that Seba or Jozy move this winter and they buy Janson and trigger a long-term cycle of improvement. The idea is that you take a reduction in quality for one season, but after that season you rinse and repeat. Theoretically, by 2021 you could have 5 DP's on the roster, if you execute a loan-to-buy scenario every season you could have 6 by 2021 even.

Auzzy
08-25-2018, 07:18 PM
Any streams for this match?

Indeed, any good streams for a supporter stuck in Europe?

Red CB Toronto
08-25-2018, 07:24 PM
That was huge, what a way for the Reds to get going early on with Seba.

portu
08-25-2018, 07:34 PM
this looks like a team that's turned up to kick ass... wonder what took them so long

FootBallAZ
08-25-2018, 07:36 PM
this looks like a team that's turned up to kick ass... wonder what took them so long
this is what happens then we get a red card, or pk, and we turn to shit

Damn gio

portu
08-25-2018, 07:42 PM
Give oso his contract please i swear to god

portu
08-25-2018, 07:43 PM
That should never be goal, terrible keeping

Red CB Toronto
08-25-2018, 07:44 PM
Seba and JO on fire !!

FootBallAZ
Stupid Bradley

JavierMartini
Garbage goalkeeping. Near post what the fuck are you doing bono

JavierMartini
08-25-2018, 07:47 PM
No Inebriatti

Why are they protesting?

portu
08-25-2018, 07:54 PM
I'm sorry Bono looks like ass, like really terribly bad - bring Irwin on

FootBallAZ
08-25-2018, 07:55 PM
Fk up with bono

Inklink
08-25-2018, 07:55 PM
Bono is a train wreck. Holy shit.

tfcfans
08-25-2018, 07:56 PM
Wow - we are just holding on here after leading 3-0....yeesh....

JavierMartini
08-25-2018, 07:56 PM

Yeah for real right

Also why the fk can I hear impact fans. My god .

tfcfans
08-25-2018, 08:01 PM
Janson looks like the first real alternate threat up top other than Jozy/Seba that we’ve had in a while....would have been nice to have had that since March....

portu
08-25-2018, 08:02 PM
Janson looks like the first real alternate threat up top other than Jozy/Seba that we’ve had in a while....would have been nice to have had that since March....
Needs to be scoring consistently to justify displacing a DP tho

ag futbol
08-25-2018, 08:04 PM
Agreed. He’s always a threat to run in behind and is energetic as hell. More goals coming for him.

We look great attacking but very scary defending

James17930
08-25-2018, 08:04 PM

Yeah, been happy with him so far. Looks really committed.

I predict he'll score in the 2nd half.

JavierMartini
08-25-2018, 08:06 PM
Yeah, been happy with him so far. Looks really committed.

I predict he'll score in the 2nd half.

Idk about a goal but he'll probably set another up

gracos
08-25-2018, 08:07 PM
So from what im hearing Janson looks more promising than Aketxe was

notthesun
08-25-2018, 08:08 PM
I don't blame Bono on the goal. Yes he's been culpable for a few bad goals recently, but most players in Silva's place there would try to cross the ball back post to Piatti. I was surprised he took the shot myself.

I know it looks back because it's near post but Bono was playing the odds a bit on the cross and I don't really blame him. It's a brilliant shot by Silva and Bradley's mistake giving them the counter.

Loyal
08-25-2018, 08:10 PM
Bono looks like Teoscar Hernandez the last three games....doesn't want the ball

Is Morrow hurt? A shadow of himself....

Auzzy
08-25-2018, 08:13 PM
Agreed. He’s always a threat to run in behind and is energetic as hell. More goals coming for him.

We look great attacking but very scary defending

TFC scored some great goals today.

But so many times this season TFC look naive and chaotic on defense and defensive midfield. In fact, many times we have almost no defensive midfield. Up by two or three, how about battening down the hatches a bit? Moor looks decent, nice to have him back, but he's a step slower than a few years ago after his long layoff. Zavaleta is often iffy. Why doesn't Bradley or somebody else sit back a bit, especially when they're in the lead? It's way too open and hectic. Both Montreal offside goals, and their freekick, were very close. Despite a great TFC attack, this could easily be a tie game: not due to any great play by Montreal, but due to TFC's lax & naive defending.

Auzzy
08-25-2018, 08:18 PM

Bono also spilled the ball into the middle again, before the 2nd Montreal offside goal. I don't agree with subbing him in the middle of the game: this game is a track meet, and a few players already looked like they picked up knocks. We need those subs. But start Irwin in Portland middle of the week.

Auzzy
08-25-2018, 08:26 PM
Zavaleta should not be allowed to pass the ball farther than 10 yards.

notthesun
08-25-2018, 08:27 PM
Delgado is doing a TON defensively today.

Auzzy
08-25-2018, 08:29 PM
Delgado is doing a TON defensively today.

Amazing tackle from him on the edge of the box just now. Risky, but he pulled it off.

FootBallAZ
08-25-2018, 08:31 PM
Wtf was bono chasing

Auzzy
08-25-2018, 08:31 PM
Holy f Bono totally misjudged that cross. This game has more goals in it.

FootBallAZ
08-25-2018, 08:34 PM
Morgan out already ?

James17930
08-25-2018, 08:48 PM
Idk about a goal but he'll probably set another up

Well, he did - too bad it was off-side.

Auzzy
08-25-2018, 08:52 PM
The chin beard of the one TFC medic / trainer is giving us bad feng shui. That's where all the injuries come from. Shave that beard off please.

Inklink
08-25-2018, 08:57 PM
Finally a clutch stop from Bono.

tfcfans
08-25-2018, 09:01 PM
Let’s ugly this over the finish line please....

Auzzy
08-25-2018, 09:02 PM
LOL Amerikwa doing a bicycle flop at everything.

Inklink
08-25-2018, 09:05 PM
I think Delgado had a great game.

tfcfans
08-25-2018, 09:05 PM
Huzzah......

Auzzy
08-25-2018, 09:07 PM
Woohoo survived!

Good night folks, 4:01 am now...

notthesun
08-25-2018, 09:08 PM
Live to fight another day. Looked good offensively at times, shaky defensively at times (sorely need Mavinga back there)... but it's a start.

Loyal
08-25-2018, 09:08 PM
That is one beat up, mentally tired team.....but they won!

FootBallAZ
08-25-2018, 09:09 PM
Wtf bono coming out , moor saved him
Delgado has been getting into a groove lately , may be finally over come the trauma from champions, he was on a 3 game assist streak recently, made some key defensive plays today

Red CB Toronto
08-25-2018, 09:10 PM
That was the victory the Reds needed big time. 6 points out. Live to see another day.

Oldtimer
Good strategy by Vanney changing formation a couple of times and going defensive in the second half.

Janson is what we needed earlier in the season, great pick up.

Geiger reffed a good game.

TFC did what they needed to do. Hope Giovinco is good. Altidore back next match!

FootBallAZ
Woohoo survived!

Good night folks, 4:01 am now...

and the reds survive 401 derby

Initial B
08-25-2018, 09:22 PM
and the reds survive 401 derby
I thought now they're calling it the "Canadian Classique'. :)

Pucker factor was high at the end, but I'm glad they pulled it out. If they win 8 of their last 9 games, they should be playoff bound.

OgtheDim
08-25-2018, 10:16 PM
Janson is scary good at the vertical. Stadium rocked. Zavs is Zavs. Moor is so good. Bradley had a great game. Bono needs a day off. Delgado great in defense but bad touch going forward. Osorio is a first 11 MLS player right now

Kaz
08-25-2018, 10:17 PM
I thought now they're calling it the "Canadian Classique'. :)

Pucker factor was high at the end, but I'm glad they pulled it out. If they win 8 of their last 9 games, they should be playoff bound.

Really 45-46 points should do the trick. That would be a 1.35ppg for the season. That is 18-19 points or 6 wins plus a draw to sneak by the line.

If DC and Philly stay in the hot zone where 48 is required they will likely be both pushing for 50 at which point all 9 games are needed.

DC are on a huge roll and they may very well hit 48+ points. They've got 3 games in hand on TFC and that means they have a good margin for error and still be able to get beyond 48 points. Philly is also playing well and if they keep playing well in the final stretch they could go beyond 48 as well. Columbus would have to implode not to hit that number and Montreal has been playing better in the last few months and could also go on a run though much less likely. That means Toronto needs to get above Philly and DC at least and both could go beyond 48 points.

Even winning all 9 games it may not be possible. If DC and Philly both settle into something closer to their form prior to their current hot streaks 6 wins is enough. If they both stay on their streaks 9 wins may not be enough.

Eastend
08-25-2018, 11:26 PM
Just home from the game. Can anyone explain how there were so many VERY late offside calls and free kicks tonight? The 2 Montreal goals, the TFC goal, the breakaway Jansen had in the 1st half to name a few.

Very very bizarre calls even for Pro referees.

bhandsome90
08-25-2018, 11:46 PM
Just home from the game. Can anyone explain how there were so many VERY late offside calls and free kicks tonight? The 2 Montreal goals, the TFC goal, the breakaway Jansen had in the 1st half to name a few.

The offsides were all correct. The commentators mentioned that the refs were specified to call it like that. To let them get reviewed.

Defoe
08-26-2018, 01:17 AM
- The first 30 minutes was like watching a decent La liga team facing an MLS 2.0 team. It was 30 minutes of domination.
- The middle 30 we struggled, and the last 30 was ok. We are not going to play a full 90 of strong defensive soccer with Zavaleta playing. MLS has passed him.
- Irwin needs to come in for Bono.
- Giovinco is a beast. His form will cary us.
- Janson is quality for what he does.
- Bradley was a beast, easily his best game; but still making 1 or 2 turnovers a game.
- Delgado was fine
- Osorio was good
- Moor is amazing
- Concerned for Vazquez
- Zavaleta is terrible

The result of these games is almost predictable just from the starting lineup alone. When our best players, play; we win. When our scrubs play; we lose. That's just the way it works in MLS

If Moor, Mavinga, Bradley, Giovinco, Altidore can stay in the lineup we may find a way

rydermike
08-26-2018, 09:01 AM

The commentators said the refs have been told to call it late on purpose to see if the ball goes in to allow for VAR.

The view is that a late call is better because by allowing the shot they won't prevent a valid goal but can always call it back, but if they cal offside early and it turns out it wasn't actually offside they will have denied a valid goal. So if the linesmen believe its offside, they just hesitate a couple seconds, let the play happen, and then call it.

Very good job by the crew (one of the linesmen was the Canadian lineman at the world cup on Geigers crew)

Kaz
08-26-2018, 09:27 AM
The commentators said the refs have been told to call it late on purpose to see if the ball goes in to allow for VAR.

The view is that a late call is better because by allowing the shot they won't prevent a valid goal but can always call it back, but if they cal offside early and it turns out it wasn't actually offside they will have denied a valid goal. So if the linesmen believe its offside, they just hesitate a couple seconds, let the play happen, and then call it.

Very good job by the crew (one of the linesmen was the Canadian lineman at the world cup on Geigers crew)

Joe's good. Went to high School with him. (He was a few grades above me) He was the Golf team at one point. Random facts

Gringo Starr
08-26-2018, 09:29 AM
That was way harder than any 3 nothing game should be but a great result regardless. I'm not sure I like the CNE TFC games, food building hangover sucks

noimpactinmtl
08-26-2018, 10:27 AM
That was way harder than any 3 nothing game should be but a great result regardless. I'm not sure I like the CNE TFC games, food building hangover sucks

There was also a craft beer fest down Prince Boulevard.

Omar
08-26-2018, 02:19 PM
This was a massive win. You can tell that the players really wanted this and bounced back with the perfect response. I was initially concerned that our 4-4-2 diamond setup would be too porous, but we defended solidly from the start and got a crucial early goal. Montréal's defence is shocking (epitomised by Sagna and his lazy playing style), and we did a great job in exploiting that.

For once, our midfield did a great job in supporting the defence. Zavaleta has had decent games, but he's generally poor in a back 4. Delgado was excellent in supporting him (and Bradley in the 2nd half), and he snuffed out the danger on every occasion. Osorio was also top class and was my MOTM even though Seba had a top-class performance himself. With their great performances, Bradley's weaknesses weren't exposed, and we got to see him boss the Montréal midfield from his deep midfield role (complacent 2nd half performance aside). For once, our midfield looked as strong as it did last season. Here's hoping that this isn't another false dawn for them.

Janson was an excellent acquisition, and I hope that he keeps this up. He's more than made up for the lack of size up front with his movement, dogged determination, and skill on the ball. You can tell that Seba and Vazquez enjoy playing with him, and he's gelled instantly with Osorio and Delgado. $3M is still a steep price for him, but he might be worth it if he keeps this up and ensures that we don't miss Jozy.

In terms of the negatives, once again, we started to fall back into defence way too early. Moor was massive in this regard as he kept us organised and composed, whilst Marky made it difficult for Montréal to advance forward. On top of that, whilst the substitution was a forced one, I'm glad that Vanney looked to change us into a back 3 to solidify us. That's the kind of solid in-game management that impressed me last season (even if Morgan couldn't keep up with a past-it Sagna). The injuries were another concern for me. When everything seemed to go our way, our players just had to get more knocks. With Mavinga apparently injured again, we cannot afford to lose our best players. Maybe we might need to do something about the pitch if this continues to be the case...

Regardless, even if we had nothing to play for, we still had to beat Montréal. This was a massive win whichever way you look at it, and it might be the catalyst for our potential playoff spot capture. Montréal certainly won't make it, so we have to just fend off New England and DC. Even if we don't get a playoff spot, if we beat Montréal at their place in our 3rd match, it'd somewhat make up for such a poor season.

Eastend
08-26-2018, 07:39 PM
The offsides were all correct. The commentators mentioned that the refs were specified to call it like that. To let them get reviewed.

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard to justify the use of VAR. Not that you said it, but that the refs were told to call it this way. Talk about taking the spontaneity and passion out of the game.

DeRo2015
08-27-2018, 12:10 PM
I was sitting right behind our bench. Seba was f-ing livid with the state of the pitch when he came off late in the game.

pfk
08-27-2018, 02:13 PM
I was sitting right behind our bench. Seba was f-ing livid with the state of the pitch when he came off late in the game.

Here's the quick interview via TSN (https://www.tsn.ca/soccer/video/giovinco-sounds-off-on-bmo-field-everybody-plays-on-this-field-every-game-we-lose-a-player~1471504?cid=trueAnthem&utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=5b82524b04d3012ae4f2aa75&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter)