PDA

View Full Version : Sebastian Giovinco Scrimmage - Wed Aug 1

ensco
07-29-2018, 06:13 PM
OK rant warning... I am hot about this. Toronto FC are being totally disrespected here. I refuse to call this an all star game. Been waiting for a journo to get after this story, hopefully it’ll come tomorrow or Tuesday.

I understand that Jozy was injured ... but it’s un-effing-believable that he is not there. He should have been named. He has to be honoured in some way. Just has to be. Maybe someone could send Garber some highlights from the playoffs and CCL the last two years?

Also Osorio should be on this team, he has had a better season than 2-3 of the midfielders on the team.

It’s like the three finals in 18 months, and the 2017 championship, and the record season, and the treble ... didn’t happen.

I don’t want to hear about our record in 2018. Whoop de doo. Beyond the fact that we totally earned more spots... we are not just another team, this year, you assholes.

We have carried the flag for this league for most of the last two years, and our poor form is in large part precise because we carried that flag. We played scrubs in multiple league games, and lost half our roster to injuries, in part so that we could represent you properly!

While we are discussing actual and potential slights, Seba had better start this scrimmage. Honour demands it, in recognition of Seba’s career contribution to MLS, and the possible importance of this game to him - the game may get a bit of attention in Turin and Italy generally. (Although maybe better if Tata screws this up, as Seba would likely take it out on him Saturday.)

Whatever happens, I hope Seba has a great game, and he and our other players get really pissed at how he/we will be ignored before and during this league festival to acknowledge all of the great accomplishments of Atlanta United (who together with LAFC invented supporter culture in MLS, in case you were wondering)

Tip of the cap to Liam Fraser, who gets a run out Tuesday night on the Homegrown squad against the Tigres reserves.

red-o
07-29-2018, 06:41 PM
Is this on us? Or just me? I missed the rally to submit votes for the all star game.

backbeat
07-29-2018, 06:42 PM
OK rant warning... I am hot about this. Toronto FC are being totally disrespected here. I refuse to call this an all star game. Been waiting for a journo to get after this story, hopefully it’ll come tomorrow or Tuesday.

I understand that Jozy was injured ... but it’s un-effing-believable that he is not there. He should have been named. He has to be honoured in some way. Just has to be. Maybe someone could send Garber some highlights from the playoffs and CCL the last two years?

Also Osorio should be on this team, he has had a better season than 2-3 of the midfielders on the team.

It’s like the three finals in 18 months, and the 2017 championship, and the record season, and the treble ... didn’t happen.

I don’t want to here about our record in 2018. Whoop de doo. Beyond the fact that we totally earned more spots... we are not just another team, this year, you assholes.

We have carried the flag for this league for most of the last two years, and our poor form is in large part precise because we carried that flag. We played scrubs in multiple league games, and lost half our roster to injuries, in part so that we could represent you properly!

While we are discussing actual and potential slights, Seba had better start this scrimmage. Honour demands it, in recognition of Seba’s career contribution to MLS, and the possible importance of this game to him - the game may get a bit of attention in Turin and Italy generally. (Although maybe better if Tata screws this up, as Seba would likely take it out on him Saturday.)

Whatever happens, I hope Seba has a great game, and he and our other players get really pissed at how he/we will be ignored before and during this league festival to acknowledge all of the great accomplishments of Atlanta United (who together with LAFC invented supporter culture in MLS, in case you were wondering)

Tip of the cap to Liam Fraser, who gets a run out Tuesday night on the Homegrown squad against the Tigres reserves.

right on....ditto......

BenRhodes23
07-29-2018, 06:55 PM
The voting system is broken. Osorio is more than deserving of a spot in the team

OgtheDim
07-29-2018, 08:55 PM
This is the first all star game in 7 years where I don't really care - between the ballot stuffing & the weird picks by Martino, it just doesn't feel like the best in the league.

catz4ever
07-29-2018, 11:12 PM
Actually I’m quite happy Gio is the only one there at least the other guys can rest

Alonso
07-30-2018, 02:49 AM
Actually I’m quite happy Gio is the only one there at least the other guys can rest

Ditto.

This is a blessing in disguise. I hope Gio has a "tight hamstring" and doesn't even show up.

Fuck the All-Star game, who gives a shit.

But yeah, I understand your points Ensco, and agree. We have a few players slighted for recognition here in Toronto. But in the end I'd sacrifice recognition this year easily due to the wear and tear that our players have endured.

Unfortunately it's Juventus, and that makes Gio missing this one unlikely. But if the higher ups are reading this, SIT GIOVINCO OUT OF THIS ONE.

JuliquE
07-30-2018, 04:51 AM
Whilst not the hugest fan of the game, I tend to enjoy seeing TFC players, and the league in general, compete against storied sides.

Despite this, I will always see the glass half-full at our being overlooked: bulletin-board material, lack of distraction, avoiding unneeded travel and exertion.

That said, I vehemently echo ensco's sentiments (save calling our bench "scrubs" lol), and I'm disgusted at the fickle attitude the league seems to have.

OgtheDim
07-30-2018, 06:25 AM
Players who sit out the All Star game after having been seleccted are required by league rules to sit out the next league game.

LAG announced last night Zlatan is taking a pass on the AG & thus not playing in the next LAG game in Colorado. LAG has 3 games in 11 days so this makes some sense.

ensco
07-30-2018, 06:44 AM
^This is amusing. Black eye for the league, he is the single biggest draw in MLS right now.

I am picturing Zlatan telling Sigi “If Cristiano doesn’t have to go, I, Zlatan, do not have to go”. With Sigi's face rotating from consternation to happiness as he realizes, screw the league, this is good for us, I will just say that the great Zlatan does what he will.

Will the Galaxy pay for ticket refunds in Colorado?

Everybody gets to put their interest above the league this year, except for TFC.

Gringo Starr
07-30-2018, 07:36 AM
I get the sentiment but then I think that we get to play in the Campeones cup against Tigres so who cares about this mls marketing game. I hope the Atlanta guys play a ton while we get ready for them on the weekend.

I'll tune in to watch Seba and be happy knowing any Italian media will make him the focus of coverage no matter how much MLS ignore TFC

paul-collins
07-30-2018, 07:39 AM
Players who sit out the All Star game after having been seleccted are required by league rules to sit out the next league game.
Oh, that's nice. So if Gio does end up hurt, we get what?

I'm with Alonso. TIGHT HAMSTRING NOW rather than Thursday.

whositwhatnow
07-30-2018, 09:59 AM
I get the sentiment but then I think that we get to play in the Campeones cup against Tigres so who cares about this mls marketing game. I hope the Atlanta guys play a ton while we get ready for them on the weekend.

I'll tune in to watch Seba and be happy knowing any Italian media will make him the focus of coverage no matter how much MLS ignore TFC

Maybe this is another tryout for an Italian team :) Imagine that Gio on Juve

jabbronies
07-30-2018, 11:51 AM
I'm happy we are not represented. Meaningless game in a season where we've been injury plagued. We already have a meaningless game right before the playoffs - we don't need another.
I'd rather the league ignore us with these BS games so we can just focus on the business at hand.

I hate that Seba was chosen - but at the same time happy for him cos it's against his old team -so that's cool. Otherwise - I'd rather he not go.

Initial B
07-30-2018, 12:00 PM
Remember, All-Star games are not the best players, but a representation of the clubs that make up the league. The league is more than one club, so everyone needs representation, thought the Atlanta ballot stuffing (like Seattle before them) means they're over-represented. Just take it for what it is - a chance to showcase the league.

PizzaEatingYeti
07-30-2018, 12:33 PM

Same here.
I don't give a shit about this kind of game, never had, never will...

OgtheDim
07-30-2018, 12:46 PM
FWIW, because Villa is not playing in the All Star game, he is sitting out their home game against Vancouver (he was scheduled to come back for that)

Their next game is against us.

Either we get a rusty Villa or a really well rested one.

shwade
07-30-2018, 05:10 PM
What a horrible rule.

I'm glad Altidore isn't playing, do we want him to tweak something and be out til 2020? I hope Seba starts but gets pulled at half.

American fans hate Altidore and stuff the voting system there's no way he was getting in. And he won't be a coaches choice for the obvious reason that he has been out all season.

Lol the hysterics in the original post are a bit much.

Detroit_TFC
07-31-2018, 10:43 AM
100% in favor of bulldozing the ASG as yet another MLS "hey we're just like all the North American leagues" affectation. That said, some players want the recognition. Gio is one of them, its a big deal to him. He was on the podium with Tata and Vela and Guzan for the press conference. I bet Jozy doesn't give a shit about it.

If MLS does end up pulling off the MLS v Liga MX all stars next year or in the near future, that might be interesting. This year's game, I'm not bothering with it at all.

TFC Tifoso
08-01-2018, 07:16 PM
anyone watching this??....

Juve's missing notables...Higuain, Dybala, Cuadrado, Mandzukic, Douglas Costa, Matuidi....and some guy named Cristiano....

FootBallAZ
08-01-2018, 07:32 PM
Gio comes on 31st for Martinez after his header.
Davies on.

TFC Tifoso
08-01-2018, 07:40 PM
Seba playing hard....like it or lump it, this game means a bit to him....

Auzzy
08-01-2018, 07:42 PM
I'm watching. Crappy stream though. Anybody has a good one to recommend?

TFC Tifoso
08-01-2018, 07:48 PM
Seba interviewed at the half....

"Seba, how badly do you want to win tonight against your former team?"

"Eh, I always want to win."

:thumbsup:

Auzzy
08-01-2018, 08:09 PM
The way Alphonso Davies breaks through & brings the ball forward as a left fullback, especially against a team like Juventus, is just astounding.

TFC Tifoso
08-01-2018, 08:13 PM
yup.....this kid is really something....

TFC Tifoso
08-01-2018, 08:34 PM
Seba plays 1/2 hour with halftime in between....32'-62'.....

TFC Tifoso
08-01-2018, 08:49 PM
1-1 after 90'.....going to PK....

TFC Tifoso
08-01-2018, 09:01 PM
Juve wins shootout 5-3...meh game, especially in 2nd half.....

burlington Red
08-01-2018, 09:17 PM
stupid game. silly premise. typical North American nonsense. great atmosphere though. fair play to the fans

Defoe
08-01-2018, 09:45 PM
stupid game. silly premise. typical North American nonsense. great atmosphere though. fair play to the fans

- It was cool to see Barco and Davies on the pitch at the same time. Two of the best teenagers on the planet, literally. Wow what talent. I knew Davies was good; but he's McDavid level (sorry I had too)
- Almiron is so explosive. Atlanta is going to make a ransom on him when they sell. Martinez as well. Atlanta United is clearly just a cut above everyone else right now. The players, that stadium... my god.
- Hopefully Atlanta IS fatigued for the TFC-Atlanta game. We will need to be seriously on if we're going to compete with Atlanta.

ensco
08-01-2018, 09:52 PM
Now we know. North America's best players can’t beat the Juve reserves.

Red CB Toronto
08-01-2018, 10:42 PM

Simple fact is we are in North America and while I appreciate the different vibe that Euro stuff brings, I love all star games. The 1991 MLB all star game is one of my fondest sports memories with all the excitement that it brought.

burlington Red
08-01-2018, 10:58 PM
Simple fact is we are in North America and while I appreciate the different vibe that Euro stuff brings, I love all star games. The 1991 MLB all star game is one of my fondest sports memories with all the excitement that it brought.

I hear you totally. how would you feel if ur best player came back injured that's my issue. that's not a worry in baseball asg. not being rude u guys have ur thing but it's weird for us not from here. respect.

Red CB Toronto
08-01-2018, 11:04 PM
I hear you totally. how would you feel if ur best player came back injured that's my issue. that's not a worry in baseball asg. not being rude u guys have ur thing but it's weird for us not from here. respect.

Tell that to Ray Fosse when Pete Rose went right through him dashing for home in the 1970 MLB AllStar game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Fj2B9z4Dbw

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/13223207/ray-fosse-pete-rose-all-star-game-collision-shook-marion-ill

burlington Red
08-02-2018, 08:24 AM
Tell that to Ray Fosse when Pete Rose went right through him dashing for home in the 1970 MLB AllStar game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Fj2B9z4Dbw

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/13223207/ray-fosse-pete-rose-all-star-game-collision-shook-marion-ill

48 yrs ago. I'm sure there is more recent examples.kind of actually reinforces my point as that guy got injured. still doesn't get away from the fact that in a season where injuries have ravaged our season. I'd prefer our top players not having to risk themselves in a meaningless game. just my opinion. a good day for the fans and a cash cow I get it but not something I like.

FootBallAZ
08-02-2018, 04:15 PM
They interviewed arthur blank, he said its all about the fans, how he thinks the fans own the team.
Strives for best fan experience, cut concession pricing by 50%!!!
Says lead to increases in attendance and sales.

Man wish we could get our prices cut by 50%.