PDA

View Full Version : Voyageurs Semi First Leg TFC @ Ottawa Wednesday July 18 7:30 Yet I will Try the Last

OgtheDim
07-15-2018, 06:37 AM
Damn'd be He who first Cries "Hold Enough"

Have at It People

Oldtimer
07-15-2018, 07:03 AM
Although TFC has been playing poorly in league play, this is a real chance for a win. 2-1 Toronto.

Fort York Redcoat
07-15-2018, 07:43 AM
Get this. This is my number one. Turnaround starts here.

Tunnelred
07-15-2018, 08:07 AM
What do people think about lineup? TFC2 based? Or a chance to try and get some first team players some confidence back?

Kamp Berg
07-15-2018, 08:28 AM
They need to give everything they’ve got for this series. Not doing so risks the tatters that are still left of this team.

wopchop
07-15-2018, 12:14 PM
What do people think about lineup? TFC2 based? Or a chance to try and get some first team players some confidence back?
At least three starters need to be Canadians - so Osorio, Fraser, Hamilton?

Tunnelred
07-15-2018, 12:55 PM
At least three starters need to be Canadians - so Osorio, Fraser, Hamilton?

I feel he might sit Oso, and start Chapman instead. Oso has been arguably our best player this year, if anyone gets a rest, I think it’s him.

portu
07-15-2018, 01:24 PM
Play a full eleven, put this tie to bed in the first leg please

azorean
07-15-2018, 02:57 PM
Regarding Canadian content, I have followed Canadian soccer closely for years. Don't ask how long. Been a fan, will remain a fan ! BUT so frustrating with our National team, seems to me The more Canadians TFC play , the more they lose! I like Osorio, has skill,But players like Hamilton, Fraser, Ricketts, Telfer,Morgan ...Are they really good ENOUGH ? even for MLS? Has TFC ever had an above average MLS player that was Canadian?, (excluding Osorio )Hate to be 'that' guy BUT geez, so disappointing....Thank God for Alphonso Davies ( wish he played for us ) ....

Dejan Jaković ! is still a starter for our National team, enough said....

Cambassador
07-15-2018, 03:03 PM
Get this. This is my number one. Turnaround starts here.

Please for the love of Cthulhu I hope you are right.

Cam

portu
07-15-2018, 03:16 PM
Regarding Canadian content, I have followed Canadian soccer closely for years. Don't ask how long. Been a fan, will remain a fan ! BUT so frustrating with our National team, seems to me The more Canadians TFC play , the more they lose! I like Osorio, has skill,But players like Hamilton, Fraser, Ricketts, Telfer,Morgan ...Are they really good ENOUGH ? even for MLS? Has TFC ever had an above average MLS player that was Canadian?, (excluding Osorio )Hate to be 'that' guy BUT geez, so disappointing....Thank God for Alphonso Davies ( wish he played for us ) ....

Dejan Jaković ! is still a starter for our National team, enough said....
Not sure how closely you've followed if you don't remember De Ro

azorean
07-15-2018, 03:17 PM
Not sure how closely you've followed if you don't remember De Ro

I remember De Ro well, good player, anyone else ?

portu
07-15-2018, 03:23 PM
Didn't seem to mention him in your rant on Canadian talent, or Edwards, Brennan, De Guzman, Will Johnson

azorean
07-15-2018, 03:25 PM
Didn't seem to mention him in your rant on Canadian talent

was not a rant , just the facts, been with Canada since Peschisolido, Bunbury, ...who has emerged from TFC? I said above average...

portu
07-15-2018, 03:27 PM
was not a rant , just the facts, been with Canada since Peschisolido, Bunbury, ...who has emerged from TFC?
The questions of who has emerged from TFC and which Canadian players have been decent for TFC give entirely different answers

azorean
07-15-2018, 03:32 PM
The questions of who has emerged from TFC and which Canadian players have been decent for TFC give entirely different answers

Huh? I was just stating that TFC Canadian talent has lacked quality....You mentioned De Ro, good player, for us and country, anyone else?

Fort York Redcoat
07-15-2018, 04:07 PM
Huh? I was just stating that TFC Canadian talent has lacked quality....You mentioned De Ro, good player, for us and country, anyone else?

Ya. That's the point. you didn't mention.

What did you want? MLS Canadians? we can do that.

azorean
07-15-2018, 04:27 PM
Ya. That's the point. you didn't mention.

What did you want? MLS Canadians? we can do that.

Yeah, honestly, forgot about De Ro. Great Player. Club and Country. We have been around for 11 years now though. Any other Canadian that made a mark for club and country? all i'm asking.

paul-collins
07-15-2018, 08:47 PM
Will Johnson

Cas87
07-17-2018, 09:38 AM
Just so everyone knows the Semi-Finals will ONLY be streamed on canadasoccer.com and Yahoo Sports Canada

https://www.canadasoccer.com/2018-canadian-championship-semi-final-round-to-kick-off-18-july-live-on-canadasoccer-com-and-yahoo-sports-canada-p161667

michaeltfc91
07-17-2018, 10:09 AM
Just so everyone knows the Semi-Finals will ONLY be streamed on canadasoccer.com and Yahoo Sports Canada

https://www.canadasoccer.com/2018-canadian-championship-semi-final-round-to-kick-off-18-july-live-on-canadasoccer-com-and-yahoo-sports-canada-p161667

BS man can't even watch the semi final of our national championship on television... what casual soccer / sports fan is going to tune in on the internet. So much for TSN being home for soccer in Canada

portu
07-17-2018, 10:18 AM
Aidan Daniels and Rocco Romeo both training with the first team. Could see them against Ottawa.

Bradley, Altidore, Mavinga, van der Wiel and Giovinco not playing in small sided game with rest of #TFCLive. Wonder if they’ll be in 18 against Ottawa? - Kloke

This is a joke, right? If I see anything less than full strength against Ottawa tomorrow I will be livid. This is the only competition we still have a shot at and the only way we can book CCL. We even lost this match last year. Take it fucking seriously.

Joe Kool
07-17-2018, 10:36 AM

Thanks for the heads up. I guess this will be the first game since 2007 that I won't see in it's entirety unless there is a link to the full game somewhere afterwards. Oh well. It was a good streak while it lasted. :)

pfk
07-17-2018, 10:48 AM
From here: https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/07/16/ottawa-fury-fc-vs-toronto-fc-2018-canadian-championship-match-preview

Projected Starting XI
(4-4-2, right to left)
GK: Clint Irwin — Nicolas Hasler, Julian Dunn, Nick Hagglund, Ashtone Morgan — Aidan Daniels, Jay Chapman, Liam Fraser, Ryan Telfer — Jordan Hamilton, Tosaint Ricketts

SoccMan2
07-17-2018, 11:41 AM
From here: https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/07/16/ottawa-fury-fc-vs-toronto-fc-2018-canadian-championship-match-preview

Projected Starting XI
(4-4-2, right to left)
GK: Clint Irwin — Nicolas Hasler, Julian Dunn, Nick Hagglund, Ashtone Morgan — Aidan Daniels, Jay Chapman, Liam Fraser, Ryan Telfer — Jordan Hamilton, Tosaint Ricketts
Seriously they will get pounded and embarrassed with that lineup I’m sorry the majority of those players are fringe USL players and I’m not joking !

ag futbol
07-17-2018, 11:48 AM
Canada bottomed our a few years ago and are starting to bounce back. Give the few guys who are playing well in this league credit, even if there is still a long way to go.

ag futbol
07-17-2018, 11:55 AM
This is a joke, right? If I see anything less than full strength against Ottawa tomorrow I will be livid. This is the only competition we still have a shot at and the only way we can book CCL. We even lost this match last year. Take it fucking seriously.
We keep saying this week to week. I’m not of the thought chasing this competition is wise.

I want this club to be in the best position possible to compete next year, for everything. We keep grinding our players into a pulp and it’s obsecuring what is a performance issue vs. what is just fatigue. That’s the question that needs to be answered and it comes from guys getting rest.

This tie should be an afterthought.

pfk
07-17-2018, 11:56 AM
Seriously they will get pounded and embarrassed with that lineup I’m sorry the majority of those players are fringe USL players and I’m not joking !

They lost 2-1 last year to the Fury in Ottawa, so given the way TFC have been playing this year, who knows what will happen this time around.

shwade
07-17-2018, 01:54 PM
We keep saying this week to week. I’m not of the thought chasing this competition is wise.

I want this club to be in the best position possible to compete next year, for everything. We keep grinding our players into a pulp and it’s obsecuring what is a performance issue vs. what is just fatigue. That’s the question that needs to be answered and it comes from guys getting rest.

Agreed. I'm fine with that line up for this comp. If they get through then great. We'll get to deal with the whole CCL schedule shitshow next year too.

portu
07-17-2018, 02:04 PM

With that mentality, competing for CCL and MLS Cup are mutually exclusive. Let's not even bother for CCL because we won't be able to compete in MLS. Ambitious. I like it.

The onus is on the club to figure their shit out re: managing players health. How is it that some players manage to play 60-70 games a season with a month off and ours fall apart?

leedsandTFC
07-17-2018, 07:14 PM
honestly it's incredibly important to win this series.

get some confidence back into the squad.

been sorely lacking.

azorean
07-17-2018, 07:40 PM
Canada bottomed our a few years ago and are starting to bounce back. Give the few guys who are playing well in this league credit, even if there is still a long way to go.

We bottomed out a few years ago? ...hmmm, i'll wait on this, been burnt with this team multiple times. Bottom line, our size, our resources, we have not produced nowhere near enough talent that we should/ can.

OgtheDim
07-18-2018, 06:10 AM
Game being streamed

TheGoodson
07-18-2018, 07:23 AM
With that mentality, competing for CCL and MLS Cup are mutually exclusive. Let's not even bother for CCL because we won't be able to compete in MLS. Ambitious. I like it.

The onus is on the club to figure their shit out re: managing players health. How is it that some players manage to play 60-70 games a season with a month off and ours fall apart?

Let's start they travel significantly less over the course of the season, they get more than a month off, normally season ends in mid May and the player don't report back till mid July. If there is a tournament they get till August depending on where they finished in the tournament and who the player is. Most leagues have a winter break of two weeks. TFC had at best 2 1/2 months off over the last two years

Bottom line, if we want to compete in CCL and for the MLS Cup the following has to change: the rosters need to be deeper, salary cap has to go up, schedule needs to be shortened or amended.

On a side note I wonder what the MLS is going to do with the schedule in 2022 as it will be the middle of the World Cup when they normally host the MLS Final

pfk
07-18-2018, 08:05 AM
Let's start they travel significantly less over the course of the season, they get more than a month off, normally season ends in mid May and the player don't report back till mid July. If there is a tournament they get till August depending on where they finished in the tournament and who the player is. Most leagues have a winter break of two weeks. TFC had at best 2 1/2 months off over the last two years

Bottom line, if we want to compete in CCL and for the MLS Cup the following has to change: the rosters need to be deeper, salary cap has to go up, schedule needs to be shortened or amended.

On a side note I wonder what the MLS is going to do with the schedule in 2022 as it will be the middle of the World Cup when they normally host the MLS Final

My guess is that it would be a compressed season with the finals just before November 21 (the start of the 2022 WC).

ag futbol
07-18-2018, 08:09 AM
We bottomed out a few years ago? ...hmmm, i'll wait on this, been burnt with this team multiple times. Bottom line, our size, our resources, we have not produced nowhere near enough talent that we should/ can.
We were literally fielding mid 30’s JDG and a nearly 40 year old Dero. Strike force was Ricketts and Haber. Outside of Hutchinson it was awful.

Now you have options up top including Cavallini, Jackson-Hamell, and Larin. Midfield includes multiple guys playing well in MLS plus guys playing near the EPL level like Hoilett and Arfield who weren’t previously involved with the program. This is before adding on Davies and Millar that could have revolutionary impacts on the program. The defence stinks, but it’s a better total package.

Comparatively the team we were fielding 2-3 years ago looked like a liability to lose to Dominica.

ag futbol
07-18-2018, 08:28 AM

Chasing after these trophies hard, this year, is like the classic 90’s leafs “playoff push”
wiith trades at the deadline. Everybody knows you don’t quite have the pieces to win but you can always mortgage the future to give the fan base false hope.

Let’s not pretend we’re going to be competing for CCL this year if we start putting emphasis on this tournament. We need an evaluation of a healthy roster, first and foremost.

ensco
07-18-2018, 08:46 AM
Aren’t we just trying to win every game?

I accept why we haven’t done well in the league this year, but going forward.... just win. Every game.

This conversation is about a false choice.

OgtheDim
07-18-2018, 09:18 AM
If people seriously think this team is not going to take the Voyageur's seriously, they havn't been listening to Bill Manning.

CCL involvement every year is a team priority. The only way in is the Voyageur's. Sure, rotate the squad tonight a bit. But this team is going to put all its guns in to win this thing, including bringing back guys early if need be.

shwade
07-18-2018, 12:30 PM
If people seriously think this team is not going to take the Voyageur's seriously, they havn't been listening to Bill Manning.

CCL involvement every year is a team priority. The only way in is the Voyageur's. Sure, rotate the squad tonight a bit. But this team is going to put all its guns in to win this thing, including bringing back guys early if need be.

Good God PLEASE don't bring ANYONE back early for this game! Fucking hell all it'll take is a tweak and these guys will be out til next year again. Duck that.

Tunnelred
07-18-2018, 12:43 PM
Good God PLEASE don't bring ANYONE back early for this game! Fucking hell all it'll take is a tweak and these guys will be out til next year again. Duck that.

Cant see anyone coming back early, especially on turf (I think it’s turf). Jozy, VDW, Mavinga probably won’t be involved. Would be nice to see Bradley/Seba in the 18 tho

ChrisFizik
07-18-2018, 01:01 PM

Good heads up! We'll try to get a stream hookup on the big screens at Joe's tonight if anyone's comin by!

OgtheDim
07-18-2018, 01:11 PM
Cant see anyone coming back early, especially on turf (I think it’s turf). Jozy, VDW, Mavinga probably won’t be involved. Would be nice to see Bradley/Seba in the 18 tho

I'm thinking more next week and if we get past Ottawa (I take nothing for granted this season), whomever we get in the next round.

PizzaEatingYeti
07-18-2018, 01:36 PM
Game being streamed

So where is this on the canadasoccer.com website? I don't see anything yet at this hour...
Or will they put up a stream page somewhere on the site a few minutes before the match begins?

Thomas
07-18-2018, 02:13 PM
It’s on there now, but not so obvious. You have to scroll through the ‘messages’ around the middle of the screen.

Graeme
07-18-2018, 02:15 PM
So where is this on the canadasoccer.com website? I don't see anything yet at this hour...
Or will they put up a stream page somewhere on the site a few minutes before the match begins?

Here it is (or will be): https://www.canadasoccer.com/live-canadian-championship-semi-final-first-leg-ottawa-fury-fc-v-toronto-fc-p161674

Tunnelred
07-18-2018, 02:23 PM
I'm thinking more next week and if we get past Ottawa (I take nothing for granted this season), whomever we get in the next round.

Yeah im feeling most of the injured party will be kept back for OTT/CHI at home. I just hope we don’t go full TFC2 in to this like last year.

PizzaEatingYeti
07-18-2018, 02:38 PM
Here it is (or will be): https://www.canadasoccer.com/live-canadian-championship-semi-final-first-leg-ottawa-fury-fc-v-toronto-fc-p161674

Thanks! :)

Graeme
07-18-2018, 02:50 PM
Yeah im feeling most of the injured party will be kept back for OTT/CHI at home. I just hope we don’t go full TFC2 in to this like last year.
I'm pretty sure the game last year got Chapman, Edwards and maybe Osorio benched for quite a while if I recall correctly.

pfk
07-18-2018, 03:10 PM
I'm pretty sure the game last year got Chapman, Edwards and maybe Osorio benched for quite a while if I recall correctly.

I just looked back at the scoreline and Edwards received two yellows (a red obviously) for dissent. The last one coming in the 92nd minute. From what I remember, those guys were barely playing after the game. That was during Oso's weak stretch last year where he was struggling for minutes, but turned it around during the MLS final.

portu
07-18-2018, 05:46 PM
Pathetic line-up that shows how hollow Vanney’s words are re: taking this seriously and trying to get back to CCL. This coaching staff can go fuck itself in my mind - I’m done with them.

reggie
07-18-2018, 05:57 PM
its spin doctor vanney at it again..wonder how many players have tightness and cant play,:facepalm: the writing on is on the wall for ricketts..CYA.the good thing is that we have our USL combo at cb tonight zava/haggs

Richard
07-18-2018, 06:07 PM
I don't have a problem with the lineup.

We should beat a lower level team with our backups, and if we cant then we don't deserve it.

Lennon
07-18-2018, 06:12 PM
I don't have a problem with the lineup.

We should beat a lower level team with our backups, and if we cant then we don't deserve it.

Yea. If this was Montreal I'd feel different, but it's Ottawa .. and we have another leg at home where we can play our starters (if we have to).

We need guys fresh for league play. I still haven't given up on the playoffs.

Leedsoronto
07-18-2018, 06:33 PM
Not on tV !!! WTF is that all about

Standup105
07-18-2018, 06:34 PM
Is anyone else having issues with the stream? It's not working on either of my laptops, but it is working on my phone....

SirBobSaget
07-18-2018, 06:38 PM
Try different browser. Works for me on IE, didnèt work on Chrome.

btw the exact link https://www.canadasoccer.com/live-canadian-championship-semi-final-first-leg-ottawa-fury-fc-v-toronto-fc-p161674&t=championship_article

wopchop
07-18-2018, 06:40 PM
Mine is working in chrome and Chromecast. Not perfect but OK I guess.

They just skipped the national anthem in the TV coverage and went to their self advertising.

Auzzy
07-18-2018, 06:40 PM
Try different browser. Works for me on IE, didnèt work on Chrome.

btw the exact link https://www.canadasoccer.com/live-canadian-championship-semi-final-first-leg-ottawa-fury-fc-v-toronto-fc-p161674&t=championship_article

Wow that sucks. Not working on Chrome either for me. Was anybody able to find it on Yahoo Sports Canada? I was hoping it would work better there, but I can't find the stream.

Auzzy
07-18-2018, 06:43 PM
Man this sucks shit. I tried in different browsers: Firefox; IE. Now I can barely even access the whole Canada Soccer website. It's stuck on "TLS handshake." Obviously the whole site is overloaded, FML.

EDIT finally got back to the site, in IE: "No compatible source was found for this media."

Redcoe15
07-18-2018, 06:47 PM
GOAL!

Shway
07-18-2018, 06:47 PM
smh this is ridiculous.

wopchop
07-18-2018, 06:48 PM
Wooh! Osorio!

OgtheDim
07-18-2018, 06:49 PM
Is that Petrescu in the middle?

Auzzy
07-18-2018, 06:50 PM
fuck this shit, trying laptop now, can't even open canadasoccer.com homepage

Leedsoronto
07-18-2018, 06:55 PM
Canada soccer cup not even on Canada TV ha ha Canada is so backward sometimes

The British FA Cup is on Canadian TV ffs

OgtheDim
07-18-2018, 06:57 PM
Johnson getting a yellow card and arguing with Petrescu.....just like old times. :canada:

jloome
07-18-2018, 07:00 PM
fuck this shit, trying laptop now, can't even open canadasoccer.com homepage

Only seems to work in Microsoft Edge, for me.

noimpactinmtl
07-18-2018, 07:05 PM
I don't have a problem with streaming live sports, but when it becomes an afterthought, there is a problem.

That said, when was the last time I heard Nigel Reed do commentary?

SirBobSaget
07-18-2018, 07:06 PM
and that's why we don't want to risk too many starters.

Auzzy
07-18-2018, 07:09 PM

Yes Edge on a Win10 laptop finally worked for me. Missed 10 minutes & the first goal.

Why wasn't there a replay after the foul on Osorio.

Also who is Bjornethun (on the bench)???

Derko
07-18-2018, 07:18 PM
Malik Johnson looks like a 12 year old, and plays like one, and if I see Morgan stop the ball by stepping on the top of it I think I will be sick, so amatuerish of him.

Luanda
07-18-2018, 07:23 PM

3 browsers & nothing works for me

SirBobSaget
07-18-2018, 07:24 PM
No longer working. Should have streamed this on Youtube like USL and Canada Men's

Auzzy
07-18-2018, 07:26 PM
Thank god for the early goal by Osorio. Other than that almost nothing happening from TFC, and Ottawa had some good chances from freekicks. Unbelievable how open the Ottawa player was on the kick a few minutes ago; TFC was only lucky there.

Richard
07-18-2018, 07:29 PM
I don't have a problem with streaming live sports, but when it becomes an afterthought, there is a problem.

That said, when was the last time I heard Nigel Reed do commentary?

Oh man this brings back the memories of Chad Barret, Cunningham and Preki.

Gringo Starr
07-18-2018, 07:31 PM
Finally get this to work and now it's half time. If Bell is a proud sponsor maybe they could use tsn or something

jloome
07-18-2018, 07:32 PM
Thank god for the early goal by Osorio. Other than that almost nothing happening from TFC, and Ottawa had some good chances from freekicks. Unbelievable how open the Ottawa player was on the kick a few minutes ago; TFC was only lucky there.

We're moving the ball okay up until the final third and then they're really tentative to play a final ball in or make a run. Need to play with some balls.

Auzzy
07-18-2018, 07:35 PM
We're moving the ball okay up until the final third and then they're really tentative to play a final ball in or make a run. Need to play with some balls.

I found for a while it also got stuck with our defense for too long. Ottawa pressing high, and TFC players not moving enough to open up chances for passes forward.

OgtheDim
07-18-2018, 07:39 PM
FWIW....they are using flash. Firefox working fine for me once I accepted that to work.

I believe its in two different links.

https://www.canadasoccer.com/live-canadian-championship-semi-final-first-leg-ottawa-fury-fc-v-toronto-fc-p161674&t=championship_article

MightyDM
07-18-2018, 07:45 PM
I’m watching on an iPhone. The ball is tiny but the quality of the stream is excellent

Auzzy
07-18-2018, 07:45 PM
Great win of the ball, but how do you f up that chance, when there's a teammate COMPLETELY open in front of goal.

Leedsoronto
07-18-2018, 07:46 PM
Commentator or chat show host Lol

Auzzy
07-18-2018, 07:47 PM
How long do yellow cards count in this competition? Just between the two legs, or longer than that?

Auzzy
07-18-2018, 07:51 PM
This interview is way too long for in game. 3-4 sentences, that's enough.

OgtheDim
07-18-2018, 07:57 PM
Hopefully for 2019 the CPL clubs are involved and we get a bit of this lower league stuff although I suspect its going to be true one game cup matches and not the home/away series.

Would be interesting if we played York 9 up at York U.

Derko
07-18-2018, 07:58 PM
How many passes is Chapman not going to complete

FootBallAZ
07-18-2018, 08:01 PM
was working fine in chrome on my phone.
chrome on laptop no go.
microsoft edge 4 the win

OgtheDim
07-18-2018, 08:01 PM
Hasler is not really giving them outlets on the right. You can see them go look to make a pass & just stop.

Derko
07-18-2018, 08:04 PM
There is an awful lot of clumsy play

Derko
07-18-2018, 08:05 PM
A classic Hagglund, Zavaleta give away

Auzzy
07-18-2018, 08:08 PM
Why are they panning away from what is happening in front of net when Irwin got injured? It's not the in-game video on the score board; they can show controversial plays. And why no replay of the foul on Irwin?

OgtheDim
07-18-2018, 08:09 PM
Man the camera work on this is just bad.

wopchop
07-18-2018, 08:11 PM
Idiots just set the pitch and their tifo on fire with a flare.

Auzzy
07-18-2018, 08:11 PM
Dumb fucks throwing a flare onto the field & setting it on fire as well? If Canada Soccer has any balls, we should receive serious sanctions, sadly.

GerMc
07-18-2018, 08:12 PM
Who is using a flare at the game? I think that is pretty bush league. And it looks like it is being used in a pretty unsafe manner as well.

Derko
07-18-2018, 08:13 PM
Wonder who threw the flare on the field, that would be Inebr@#$%I, I am guessing

OgtheDim
07-18-2018, 08:14 PM
TFC supporters burning their own Tifo with flares is kinda....well....dumb.

Leedsoronto
Man the camera work on this is just bad.

Was thinking same, with the extended talk show too it’s a 100% fucked op broadcast for sure

Alixir
:facepalm: what an embarrassment.

Lennon
07-18-2018, 08:15 PM
Tribal Rhythm Gang would be my guess.

Auzzy
07-18-2018, 08:19 PM
Tribal Rhythm Gang would be my guess.

Nah they're mostly just aurally destructive.

Derko
07-18-2018, 08:22 PM
This is painful kind of like TimBits soccer

ensco
07-18-2018, 08:24 PM
Kudos to Irwin for his positioning there

GerMc
07-18-2018, 08:25 PM
Kudos to Irwin for his positioning there

That was a great save. I actually thought for a second that it went in and he scooped it out...but the camera angles were so terrible, you couldn't tell!

OgtheDim
07-18-2018, 08:27 PM
Akinola needs some work. Big kid but you can see the difference in quality & technical ability between him & Hamilton in just 3 minutes of Hamilton playing.

GerMc
07-18-2018, 08:31 PM
I think Irwin is having a good game, except for almost getting caught on that free kick...and I always feel for the goalkeeper on those...

Auzzy
07-18-2018, 08:32 PM
Luckily no VAR. It looked like there might have been some messy stuff in our penalty area there.

Derko
07-18-2018, 08:34 PM
Yeah, we won, turnaround time

Auzzy
07-18-2018, 08:34 PM
I'm very happy we survived, but way too much ugly crap in that game, and the "broadcast" was a joke.

boozilla
07-18-2018, 08:36 PM
Trying to remember the last time TFC won a game.

notthesun
07-18-2018, 08:37 PM
Don't really care what the game looked like, I only watched about 30% of it. We just really needed to win one.

PizzaEatingYeti
07-18-2018, 08:37 PM
This one was of an England 3rd level (League One) match's level. :facepalm:

OgtheDim
07-18-2018, 08:46 PM
FWIW, Montreal beat Vancouver 1-0. Neither team played as much of a B team as we did but nobody played full starters.

Not sure which team I'd rather play but both of them having to go for it a bit next week is good for us. Unfortunately, Montreal has a scheduled game in Portland on the weekend so they don't have to deal with the travel thing for just one game.

Will be interesting to see what Vancouver does with their lineup in a week as they play in Seattle on Saturday but a week later play the anemic Loons at home. Being Vancouver, I suspect they will put the emphasis on Seattle & the Loons. The Impact might go for it as I think they believe they can beat us.

jloome
07-18-2018, 08:51 PM
This one was of an England 3rd level (League One) match's level. :facepalm:

You're being generous. I'd say more League Two/Conference, or maybe Scottish first/second division. Minus a lot of the passion. Geez.

Lennon
07-18-2018, 08:55 PM
Win with the reserves + Chicago starters still on the field vs. Louisville = good night.

Oh and Revs are losing too!

MightyDM
07-18-2018, 09:05 PM
We win. People who need rest got rest. People who need minutes got minutes. Oso showed leadership. Clean sheet. Not worried about performances given all of that.

MightyDM
07-18-2018, 09:07 PM
But who was the guy on the bench with the Scandinavian name?

mr k
07-18-2018, 09:16 PM
https://twitter.com/alistairsteele/status/1019750312607928320/photo/1

Overhead view from a guy watching in a condo

https://twitter.com/FuryFanAbove/status/1019751024612007938

OgtheDim
Clint had some fun for the first time in a while

https://twitter.com/ClintIrwin/status/1019765955314892801

starter

I think he was with Seattle 2, released, and then joined TFC 2.

SirBobSaget
07-18-2018, 09:32 PM

23 year old American CB signed with TFC2. Was with Seattle 2 last year.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_Bjornethun

SirBobSaget
07-18-2018, 09:45 PM
Article with some fan videos of the flare incident
http://dailyhive.com/toronto/toronto-fc-fans-fire-ottawa

Was it the 'Football is Nothing Without Ultras!' group once again? Bunch of cosplayers

MightyDM
07-18-2018, 09:48 PM
23 year old American CB signed with TFC2. Was with Seattle 2 last year.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_Bjornethun

Thanks

ensco
07-18-2018, 09:58 PM
I watched most of this sorry game, which says more about me than it. (Caveat: I spent a lot of that time half watching and reading the all the crazy about the Kawhi/Demar trade.)

To mail it in and play a B lineup except for Osorio, and then get the winning goal from Osorio, is pretty much a perfect outcome.

MightyDM
07-18-2018, 10:09 PM
I watched most of this sorry game, which says more about me than it. (Caveat: I spent a lot of that time half watching and reading the all the crazy about the Kawhi/Demar trade.)

To mail it in and play a B lineup except for Osorio, and then get the winning goal from Osorio, is pretty much a perfect outcome.

My thoughts exactly. Plus johnathon’s on fire!

SirBobSaget
07-18-2018, 10:20 PM

Its crazy how switched on Osorio has been this season. In the past if he lined up for a shot outside the box it was for sure sailing way wide and high. if he had the ball in the box he would chop left then chop right then look for a pass. This year hes deadly.

Auzzy
07-18-2018, 10:23 PM
Clint had some fun for the first time in a while

https://twitter.com/ClintIrwin/status/1019765955314892801

Sadly that tweet is deleted now. What did it say, roughly?

Lennon
07-18-2018, 10:34 PM
Sadly that tweet is deleted now. What did it say, roughly?

Something like

Great win. Travelling supporters on (fire emoji)

Red CB Toronto
07-18-2018, 11:32 PM
From the Ottawa Sun, this type of shit has to stop.
VIOLENCE MARS CANADIAN CONTEST
The first leg of the Canadian Championship semifinal between the Ottawa Fury FC and the Toronto FC Wednesday night was marred by a senseless act of violence late in the second half when a banner belonging to fans in field-level seats on the north side caught fire and some fans ran from the stadium.
Pieces of the banner even wound up on the field and the turf suffered some damage before security was able to smother the flames.
Fury FC officials said afterwards the disturbance in the 72nd minute was caused by Toronto FC supporters who had both flares and firecrackers, items prohibited from stadiums.
Ottawa Police dispatched investigators after the game had ended and at least five officers were examining the section of seats where the fire ignited.
Team officials said several fans were ejected and no one was injured.
With smoke billowing about the field after several large blasts, apparently from the firecrackers, field officials finally stopped play for about five minutes before completing the game.
The club also expects Canada Soccer to levy a fine on the franchise for not preventing the items from entering the stadium.
The Fury released the following late Wednesday night:
“There was an incident at TD Place this evening during the Canadian Championship semi-final match between Ottawa Fury FC and Toronto FC of the MLS. Members of the TFC supporters group smuggled a small quantity of fireworks into the stadium and ignited them during the second half of the match. The fireworks flared and boomed for a short time and were quickly extinguished by TD Place security. No fans were injured in the incident and the perpetrators were ejected from the building.
“Upon seeing smoke and fire, which appeared to be more serious than they were, fans in other parts of the stadium notified Ottawa Police and Ottawa Fire that an incident had occurred and emergency services quickly responded. Upon arrival they confirmed the incident had been resolved and returned to their respective stations.
“All members of the visiting supporters group had been subjected to bag checks and security scans prior to entering the stadium and no fireworks or other devices were detected. TFC has apologized for the behavior of the members of the supporters group responsible for igniting the fireworks. Ottawa Police have launched an investigation into the incident.
“Public safety is of paramount importance and TD Place will review this incident and security policies to determine how they might be modified to prevent such incidents in the future.”

Inklink
07-18-2018, 11:46 PM
Fucking morons. I hope they figure out who brought it in and prosecute heavily.

Red CB Toronto
07-19-2018, 12:05 AM
http://dailyhive.com/toronto/toronto-fc-fans-fire-ottawa

This shows just how stupid it got and how dangerous it could have got.

JamboAl
07-19-2018, 03:56 AM
I hope those jerks get the book thrown at them and would argue they should be banned from BMO Field as well.

Oldtimer
07-19-2018, 06:06 AM
Idiots with flares are posers who make it all about them, not the team.

I'm really pleased with Osorio's form. He's really gone to another level.

OgtheDim
07-19-2018, 06:30 AM
Personally, I got no issue with flares..sure, if people around know what they are doing.

This wasn't just flares.

When it comes to explosions? I draw the line.

Do these people not know where the idea of shrapnel comes from?

When something explodes, stuff around it can get torn apart & fly out with deadly velocity. Shrapnel endangers everybody in the vicinity. It didn't in this case but idiots who do not know limitations do not know how close the line is.

These idiots endangered all our guys.

This goes beyond the pale.

I know the reason why other SSG's should not usually comment on the behaviour of other SSG's.

In this case, I don't know if I feel safe with such idiots at BMO.

This is no longer about a group making it about them (the whole "Without Ultras there is no football" schtick)

People around these guys (& I'm also really tired of the "It wasn't us routine") have graduated to seriously stupid stuff that endangers people at BMO. Their comes a time as an SSG when you have to police people around you & somebody is not doing that for what ever reason.

I put this behaviour right up there with the FHRITP idiots.

Ban anybody they think involved in this.

For life.

This was dangerous to themselves & others around them. Behaviour like this threatens all of us at BMO. It must be stopped. And if that means the organization that seems to be around when this happens gets sanctioned heavily, so be it.

I go to watch a football match, not be there when some dickweed lights something they have no clue how to control & stuff starts burning & exploding. You want to do that, go out to a family member's property in the country & become a column inch in the paper on Monday about how paramedics were called and somebody was pronounced dead on the scene.

Red4ever
07-19-2018, 07:13 AM
It's gonna be all over for them.

Play stupid games...

TFC1986
07-19-2018, 07:21 AM
What's a SSG? Seriously stupid guy?
Yeah definitely dumb. But also probably 18 year olds. I even don't like it when we have the smoke go off at our field for more than 60 seconds

pfk
07-19-2018, 07:50 AM
I can't believe some idiots brought some firecrackers and lit them off at the game. They should be banned for life from BMO.

Derko
07-19-2018, 08:26 AM
I can't believe some idiots brought some firecrackers and lit them off at the game. They should be banned for life from BMO.

I really wonder who it was, but because of incidents in the past, Inebriatti will get fingered, rightly or wrongly, and then they will have a protest and not show up, they really are a comical bunch.
Yes I was quite negative during the game, but good to see Oso get the armband and the goal to win the match.

JamboAl
07-19-2018, 08:41 AM
Those were no firecrackers. It sounded almost like a concussion grenade. Definitely shook the stadium.

eustacchio
07-19-2018, 08:49 AM
There's a video of it here: https://www.prosoccerusa.com/mls/toronto-fc/toronto-fc-ottawa-flare-fire/

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/1019774393499627520

Red CB Toronto
07-19-2018, 09:34 AM
I really wonder who it was, but because of incidents in the past, Inebriatti will get fingered, rightly or wrongly, and then they will have a protest and not show up, they really are a comical bunch.
Yes I was quite negative during the game, but good to see Oso get the armband and the goal to win the match.

The IB were the majority in the away section last night. They took over a section and had their banner up front, which caught fire and burned up. Now I completely understand why the Big O/Impact made it a requirement that all banners be fire retardant.

OgtheDim
07-19-2018, 09:38 AM
Well this is all a heavy does of IMHO but that's what we all do on the internet

If it was just firecrackers,wouldn't have a problem.

It wasn't

BMO is Our House. Not everybody supports the team in the same way so its a good idea to wait to make a comment that may involve another SSG until clear evidence of what amounts to reckless stupidity - we've now seen that.

No issues with flares when used by people who know what they are doing around them - getting your seat/TIFO burnt & throwing a flare on the field indicates you don't know what you are doing. I got serious issues with explosions. This wasn't a firecracker or some random firework. People indicated it rang eardrums around the stadium. Can't trust the people who have done this to be judicious in what they do in our stadium - what they do in Our House.

BMO is not just theirs. Our House includes the tourists & the staff & the players & the happy clappy & even freaking Tribal Rhythm with their gawd awful drums...yes even them. This is OUR House - together - in every section but the way top of the East where the away people are who are watching us in Our House.

The people who have done this have shown no prediliction to giving a shit about the safety of those around them in Our House - hell they don't' care about safety for themselves. If anything, the people who are doing this are escalating their behaviour in some bizarre attempt to show how hard core they are.

There are limits to acceptable behaviour, and the safety of people I bring to games, and the safety of staff and other people where I am - that is where I draw a line personally.

Red CB Toronto
07-19-2018, 09:49 AM
Has even made it in the Washington Post, and not just wire copy, A staffer wrote.

www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/early-lead/wp/2018/07/19/toronto-fc-fans-set-fire-to-stadium-necessitating-call-to-ottawa-fd/ (https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/early-lead/wp/2018/07/19/toronto-fc-fans-set-fire-to-stadium-necessitating-call-to-ottawa-fd/)

ensco
07-19-2018, 09:54 AM
This could be a very serious problem, depending on match/referee report.

Concacaf could make us forfeit the game. Or they could make us play our next game in front of an empty stadium. Or both. UEFA regularly imposes sanctions like that.

Not saying anything will happen. Just that it is theoretically possible.

nfitz
07-19-2018, 09:54 AM
Now I completely understand why the Big O/Impact made it a requirement that all banners be fire retardant.Wonderful - you know what happens next then ...

pfk
07-19-2018, 09:59 AM
From https://www.thestar.com/sports/2018/07/19/ottawa-police-investigating-fireworks-incident-involving-fans-at-tfc-fury-match.html

Police are investigating the incident and it appears to be firecrackers. I know that I've seen written above and read elsewhere it could have also been a concussion grenade a flare that heated up and exploded a drum. Regardless, it was reckless and could have lead to some serious injuries.

The perpetrators were ejected from the game. Hopefully these 'fans' names were recorded and they will be banned.

Like OgtheDim says, we all want to enjoy watching a game and not have to worry about getting burned from an errant firecracker or flare.

pfk
07-19-2018, 10:13 AM
Has even made it in the Washington Post, and not just wire copy, A staffer wrote.

www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/early-lead/wp/2018/07/19/toronto-fc-fans-set-fire-to-stadium-necessitating-call-to-ottawa-fd/ (https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/early-lead/wp/2018/07/19/toronto-fc-fans-set-fire-to-stadium-necessitating-call-to-ottawa-fd/)

The Post article even brings up the incident in the Columbus a few weeks ago and a video of a march last year with flares. It seems we are pretty flare happy with this article!

samuraizero
07-19-2018, 10:17 AM
here's another video from a higher standpoint

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI9HoHN4wKY

paul-collins
07-19-2018, 11:50 AM
Watching the cowards who don't want to be associated with this, as they sneak off while the fire is being doused...

Yeah, that's a paddlin'.

https://frinkiac.com/img/S06E21/913028.jpg

Blkndkr
07-19-2018, 01:06 PM
I was was at the game, in the complete opposite corner from where the incident took place. That was NOT firecrackers. That was NOT a drum ‘exploding’. Frankly, I was shocked there wasn't injuries, based on what I saw and hear.

I ran into Bill Manning after the game - let’s just say he’s definitely not happy about it and rightfully so. Don’t be surprised if there are consequences beyond what Canada Soccer will certain impose.

From https://www.thestar.com/sports/2018/07/19/ottawa-police-investigating-fireworks-incident-involving-fans-at-tfc-fury-match.html

Police are investigating the incident and it appears to be firecrackers. I know that I've seen written above and read elsewhere it could have also been a concussion grenade a flare that heated up and exploded a drum. Regardless, it was reckless and could have lead to some serious injuries.

The perpetrators were ejected from the game. Hopefully these 'fans' names were recorded and they will be banned.

Like OgtheDim says, we all want to enjoy watching a game and not have to worry about getting burned from an errant firecracker or flare.

Super
07-19-2018, 01:14 PM
We have to stamp out this behavior fast and hard. Last thing we need is for TFC to have to play in front of an empty stadium because of these losers. These aren't fans of the team. They're enemies of the team, and enemies of all supporters. They can fuck right off!

TheGoodson
07-19-2018, 02:42 PM
Manning has sent out an email that due to those asshats.. All supporters group privileges are suspended indefinitely while they review the TFC recognized supporters program.

And they working with the Ottawa police to identify those responsible

Justin10000
07-19-2018, 02:55 PM
Goddamit, I hope the fuckers are caught.

OgtheDim
07-19-2018, 02:58 PM
https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2018/07/19/toronto-fc-statement-fan-incident-ottawa

Following an incident in the stands at Toronto FC’s Canadian Championship match Wednesday night in Ottawa, Toronto FC President Bill Manning issued the following statement:
“The safety of our fans, employees and supporters is the highest priority for TFC. The events which took place in Ottawa last night involving TFC supporters were unacceptable and needlessly put the safety of others at risk. Due to the seriousness of this incident we are left with no choice but to suspend all recognized supporter group privileges indefinitely as we conduct a thorough review of TFC’s recognized supporter program. We are fully cooperating with the Ottawa Police Department as they investigate this incident and work to identify those responsible."

Derko
07-19-2018, 02:59 PM
FFS. What a bunch of idiots. They can come out of hiding behind their Fucking masks and face the wrath of the rest of the Supporters. Fucking cowards. I can see this getting out of hand. IB seem to enjoy being the showoaters. How about no one pays them any attention. Again Fucking Cowards

Red4ever
07-19-2018, 03:00 PM
This isn't a few people. This is a raison d'etre.

This should be the end of their group.

Red CB Toronto
07-19-2018, 03:03 PM

I hope Bill takes the same stance Paul did with NEE, stop engaging them and basically throw them out.

Parkdale
07-19-2018, 03:13 PM
I guess the end of World Cup coverage means people are still writing about the game... with nothing interesting to cover until now.

If we can't have Red Thunder in 112 because of this..... :dita:

OgtheDim
07-19-2018, 03:24 PM
They got a week to fix this. People refusing to take responsibility for the people around them isn't helping.

paul-collins
07-19-2018, 03:30 PM
cosplay

TFC Tifoso
07-19-2018, 03:32 PM
I hope Bill takes the same stance Paul did with NEE, stop engaging them and basically throw them out.

couldn't be more wrong....and that's all I've got to say about that......

pfk
07-19-2018, 03:33 PM
All supporters. Damn. It's going to be quiet next Wednesday.... unless the accused parties get the boot.

flatpicker
07-19-2018, 03:56 PM
Such a disappointment.
There have always been little things that irked me about Inebriatti, but I've also felt that they brought renewed energy to the south end the past few seasons. They've done so much to help build the atmosphere at BMO, but I don't know why the feel the need to keep pushing things over the edge. It really does make me question their motivations.

portu
07-19-2018, 04:02 PM
You guys all give Inebriatti so much shit but at the end of the day whenever they're not making noise at BMO the place is dead quiet

flatpicker
07-19-2018, 04:10 PM
You guys all give Inebriatti so much shit but at the end of the day whenever they're not making noise at BMO the place is dead quiet

What did I just saw above your post?
Don't say "all" when "all" ain't true.

RudanZidane
07-19-2018, 04:41 PM

And at some point the cost of them being assholes becomes not worth it just for the sake of atmosphere. The ground is really quiet when the entirety of the south end is sanctioned.

TheGoodson
07-19-2018, 04:54 PM

Speak for yourself....

for very boycott, suspension they have had I haven’t really seen a difference in the stadium.

Red CB Toronto
07-19-2018, 05:01 PM

My main concern when at a game is the 11 men on the pitch, quite honestly the night they were not there I did not even notice until told.

Red4ever
07-19-2018, 05:27 PM

Run along registered user.

We give them shit when they pull shit.

Derko
07-19-2018, 05:35 PM
It's called paying the 'Asshole' tax, and the Twat factor comes to play, just saying there are assholes in every SSG, Inebriatti just keep wanting to push the envelope and someone will get hurt.

Shway
07-19-2018, 05:39 PM

No offence, but this is a very true statement.

The reality shows when the players go to them all the time when they celebrate.

Shway
07-19-2018, 05:39 PM
Anyways the game was so shit, that this has been the main topic of discussion......or did some not watch?

reggie
07-19-2018, 05:53 PM
the mighty pres has spoken.why dont you worry about the argos and shitty job your gm has done this year,without the supporters you are nothing

JoesphNdo
07-19-2018, 06:04 PM
Can we just get rid of the cringey cosplay ultras once and for all? They're an embarrassment and this is far from an isolated incident

whositwhatnow
07-19-2018, 06:25 PM

Even if it was the end of the group per se they'll still show up

Red4ever
07-19-2018, 06:47 PM
Even if it was the end of the group per se they'll still show up

With no flags or drums. Fine.

shwade
07-19-2018, 07:13 PM
Seems like some dumb ass kids took the Ultra thing to the next level...watching too many docs from Europe.

ensco
07-19-2018, 07:33 PM
the mighty pres has spoken.why dont you worry about the argos and shitty job your gm has done this year,without the supporters you are nothing

So he should just do nothing, and this should keep going on until someone gets hurt and sues everyone in sight, or the team has to forfeit a game.

Manning's job is for sure to just smile and nod at people dangerously flouting laws on his employer's private property. That's what anyone in his position should do.

I mean shouldn't.

Oldtimer
07-19-2018, 09:31 PM
U-Sector official statement:

https://mobile.twitter.com/U_Sector/status/1020098753099980800

reggie
07-19-2018, 09:31 PM
talk about over reaction to a couple of knuckleheads.find them and ban them.dont throw all the groups under the bus

Brooker
07-19-2018, 10:14 PM
Run along registered user.

We give them shit when they pull shit.

How dare you! Dont paint us all with the same brush, kind sir!

Fort York Redcoat
07-22-2018, 08:46 AM
Well that sure wasn't the quality side we are reaching to return to but job done.

Thanks to Joe and Co. for the stream at the pub!