PDA

View Full Version : Pink Jerseys (sorry)

Jeffro
08-02-2008, 07:44 PM
Not that I want to start another ridiculous discussion on the merits of the pink jersey, but....

I have recieved word that the pink jersey is not strictly a TFC jersey for women but, one that is actually going to be worn by our boys. TFC will be wearing the pink jersey for one of our last home games this season, and possibly 2 or 3 matches next year. Looks like it will be the sept 27 match vs. Houston (although sept 13 v. Columbus and oct 18 v Chicago are possible), and I believe it is some sort of breast cancer benefit.

Just passing on the info....

Carter
08-02-2008, 07:50 PM
At least its for a reason, not just a sick marketing joke.... how reliable is your source?

Bobo
08-02-2008, 07:51 PM
Get started on the chants now. This is ridiculous. Gotta love ML$E.

MFBODD
08-02-2008, 07:52 PM
I feel the same. I'm not a fan of the colour, but if it's for a good cause...I'll pretty much back anything to do with breasts.

Jeffro
08-02-2008, 07:52 PM
At least its for a reason, not just a sick marketing joke.... how reliable is your source?

very

Jeffro
08-02-2008, 07:53 PM
I feel the same. I'm not a fan of the colour, but if it's for a good cause...I'll pretty much back anything to do with breasts.

also a good point :)

MFBODD
08-02-2008, 07:54 PM
Seriously, with all the dudes in the stands they may want to support prostate cancer research though...

The Fire just scored a goal, but were offside btw... 0-0

sulfur
08-02-2008, 07:56 PM
Either way... I've seen the shirt. To be honest, it actually looks pretty sharp. But maybe that's just me.

Well, likely is. :P

nascarguy
08-02-2008, 07:57 PM
that is a good idea only if 75 to 80% of all sale go to breast cancer . I think I will buy one or 2 if there low in price kids size one and get both team to sign it and put it up on my wall. we need one for joe's with the whole team .

so I think if someone was to sell the pink jersey all ready signed with a team photo. just like the danny dichio 1st goal photo I would buy one

Dirk Diggler
08-02-2008, 08:02 PM

Who are we kidding. This is a sick marketing joke.

But I don't really care much. I happen not to mind pink jerseys. Wouldn't be a problem to me. I might just actually buy one as well.

Carter
08-02-2008, 08:03 PM
Either way... I've seen the shirt. To be honest, it actually looks pretty sharp. But maybe that's just me.

Well, likely is. :P

I agree with you sulfur, its alright... could be better with a white BMO symbol instead of the red one....

Torcida
08-02-2008, 08:05 PM
Watch 10% of the jersey sales go breast cancer research...

SilverSamurai
08-02-2008, 08:06 PM
I wouldn't get one, but if it's for a good cause it's alright.
MLSE is going to love their tax credits. lol

MFBODD
08-02-2008, 08:09 PM
Watch 10% of the jersey sales go breast cancer research...

yeah....if 100% of the profit goes...fine, but if ANYTHING goes towards the MLSE kitty...screw that...then again, I'm sure the club will change the kit every couple of years (we know a new one will be coming for 2009) to make some extra $$, but making a profit from charity is not cool.

MG42
08-02-2008, 08:09 PM
C'mon you pinks?

MFBODD
08-02-2008, 08:10 PM
C'mon you pinks?

OH WHEN THE PINKS!

CanuckPete
08-02-2008, 08:22 PM

Yes... raising money for breast cancer is ridiculous.

Phil
08-02-2008, 08:30 PM
Good info Jeffro. I am personally not a big fan of them wearing pink, but I would like this thread to not degenerate.

If it does, it will get closed.

Edit: just to be clear breast cancer support is good. Just don't mess with the colours.

RedRum
08-02-2008, 08:40 PM
Why can't MLSE just make a large donation to breast cancer research and save us the ridicule of wearing pink?

CretanBull
08-02-2008, 08:44 PM
^ because this way, we make the donation (by buying the jerseys) and they get the credit for it ;)

heather
08-02-2008, 08:45 PM
^ Great point.

err was meaning RedRum

but agree with CretanBull as well :)

Jeffro
08-02-2008, 08:50 PM
Good info Jeffro. I am personally not a big fan of them wearing pink, but I would like this thread to not degenerate.

If it does, it will get closed.

Edit: just to be clear breast cancer support is good. Just don't mess with the colours.

May as well close it now, nothing else needs to be said.... we've been there already :D

ExiledRed
08-02-2008, 08:53 PM
Seriously, with all the dudes in the stands they may want to support prostate cancer research though...

You know what? I agree, Cancer is cancer and it affects everybody. I would much prefer the team had their heads shaved for the Terry Fox Foundation, or something.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/80165/the_great_dichotomy_breast_cancer_versus.html?cat= 5

http://underscorebleach.net/jotsheet/2004/10/politicization-disease-breast-prostate-cancer-funding

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/28355.php

Footie-11
08-02-2008, 09:03 PM
At least there's a reason to it...

Does anybody have a picture of the jersey?

Phil
08-02-2008, 09:13 PM
http://www.msprotege.com/members/Naveed74/Pink%20jerset.jpg

TFC07
08-02-2008, 09:24 PM

Wow!

Azerban
08-02-2008, 11:08 PM
uggggh our long proud noble tradition as being the reds

all of those decades, gone

(is angry for little reason)

NateDoGG
08-02-2008, 11:34 PM
and I believe it is some sort of breast cancer benefit.

thats what ive been saying all along that they will be used for that
same way the nhl had pink stick nights...

Sonny Cheeba
08-02-2008, 11:43 PM
are they actually for sale? or is the team just wearing them for awareness?

people here are talking about buying them. i'd fuckin buy one and rock it no problem on the regular. i wear pink tshirts already, i'd just never wear a pink lacoste shirt with the collar popped.

no i'm not gay and not a girl.

Mojo
08-03-2008, 02:37 AM
I actually think it looks great :(

FluSH
08-03-2008, 02:58 AM
Not that I want to start another ridiculous discussion on the merits of the pink jersey, but....

I have recieved word that the pink jersey is not strictly a TFC jersey for women but, one that is actually going to be worn by our boys. TFC will be wearing the pink jersey for one of our last home games this season, and possibly 2 or 3 matches next year. Looks like it will be the sept 27 match vs. Houston (although sept 13 v. Columbus and oct 18 v Chicago are possible), and I believe it is some sort of breast cancer benefit.

Sorry Jeffro,

But who is your source? I'm not saying name names... but at least give me an indication from where? Adidas? MLSE? Beer Guy in 112?

Thanks

Keystone FC
08-03-2008, 03:02 AM

Heck, I'd buy 2...one for my mum. She just went through the operation to get rid of the cancer in her breast and is about to go into the kemo portion of treating any cancer that may be lingering.
I can't stand pink football kits (Juve) but for breast cancer I can make an exception.

FluSH
08-03-2008, 03:14 AM

Is this the women's version? The cut on the arms looks a bit different... Also whatever happened to that white TFC Jersey floating on Ebay?

Inswingingwingman
08-03-2008, 05:15 AM
We're pink (clap clap clap)
You Stink (Clap Clap Clap)

Landon is gonna demand a trade. Wants to hang out on Yonge and Wellesley wearing a pink jersey and black leather chaps.

I am also 100% in favour of anything to do with breasts but I think they should come
up with a couple of stickers. We went and gave women the right to go topless in Ontario but .....what's up with that?

BTW, I was in a peeler bar and overheard...(_______) say that (________) will play in the next game. (Fill in the blanks yourself

I was in Tim Horton's and overheard them say they are going to have donuts with pink icing to support the team/breast cancer.

TFC John
08-03-2008, 06:03 AM
Support for breast cancer research is a worthy cause. But what's wrong with just wearing an armband? The pink jersey looks worse than the blue practice kit.

London
08-03-2008, 07:22 AM
seen 1 at the sj game- they ae light pink

Ladies Love Julius James
08-03-2008, 08:15 AM
Jerrfo hasn't been off yet, all his info came through so I'll take his word for it. Why can't they just wear a pink ribbon LOL or the armband as mentioned.

MUFC_Niagara
08-03-2008, 08:34 AM
isn't this like the 3rd useless thread on this topic? who cares.....

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-03-2008, 08:47 AM
That can't be it, that's the current design, it's being changed for next season, I doubt they'd keep it the same for the "third" kit. I'd swear I heard something about a pink women's jersey already being available this season, that's probably it. Either that or someone used the magic wand tool on Photoshop and replaced the red with pink.

ThunderBaby
08-03-2008, 09:05 AM
This jersey is freakin' hawt! I am so parading around in one later!
:D

Jeffro
08-03-2008, 09:10 AM
Sorry Jeffro,

But who is your source? I'm not saying name names... but at least give me an indication from where? Adidas? MLSE? Beer Guy in 112?

Thanks

No worries, I get it.... All I can say really is that it's someone with TFC, they have been consistently accurate, and I only come here with the info I recieve when it is good info, direct from the source.

And believe me if I wanted to post rumours or speculation, I have a ton of that type of info, coming straight from the dressing room, but I refrain from posting it until I get a confirmation that it is good info from my source... and I would've picked a better topic ;)

Hell, after our talk yesterday.... the speculation I could have posted...

FluSH
08-03-2008, 09:19 AM
No worries, I get it.... All I can say really is that it's someone with TFC, they have been consistently accurate, and I only come here with the info I recieve when it is good info, direct from the source.

And believe me if I wanted to post rumours or speculation, I have a ton of that type of info, coming straight from the dressing room, but I refrain from posting it until I get a confirmation that it is good info from my source... and I would've picked a better topic ;)

Hell, after our talk yesterday.... the speculation I could have posted...

Thanks man... I just don't recall your name before. We've had our share of insiders come through here... (I still remember that goldenlocks kid) but we've also had our share of creative tabloid posters. Just wanna be on the safe side.

Ladies Love Julius James
08-03-2008, 09:27 AM
Thanks man... I just don't recall your name before. We've had our share of insiders come through here... (I still remember that goldenlocks kid) but we've also had our share of creative tabloid posters. Just wanna be on the safe side.

He's the dude that broke Telbily and a bunch of others.

FluSH
08-03-2008, 09:30 AM
He's the dude that broke Telbily and a bunch of others.

=o

I must have been M.I.A. that week...

Damien
08-03-2008, 09:37 AM
If all of the proceeds go to charity then i'd definetly support the idea.

canadian_bhoy
08-03-2008, 12:37 PM
The shirt looks hideous (pink and red clash don't they? I'm no expert...Damiiano? :D )

I think that any time you can raise money for charity, its a good thing. But this breast cancer thing seems to be more about marketing and branding than it actually is about the charity anymore.

Of course, you can't say that because that makes you heartless and means you don't care about cancer victims right? wrong.

The pink is cheese, they could have played with a pink ball or something instead of making our jersey look stupid.

Sonny Cheeba
08-03-2008, 12:43 PM
you're right. pink and red to clash. they should use a white BMO logo.

and i agree.... i also think breast cancer has become about marketing, but not just breast cancer, all cancers and don't forget heart disease and aids.. they're all competing for research money.

but. still, marketing creates awareness, i just don't like the competitive nature of putting diseases against each other.

ilikemusic
08-03-2008, 12:59 PM
I think the pink jerseys are perfectly fine. I like that leagues and teams go out of their way to do these things.

I love it when all the big names players in MLB are using pink bats. Its looks hilarious! :p

Rudi
08-03-2008, 01:23 PM
Sorry Jeffro,

Thanks
For the record, I've heard the same info as Jeffro.

And no, I'm not naming names.

TFC07
08-03-2008, 02:47 PM
Anyway, I don't see the problem is except for other fans making fun of us and calling us gay for wearing pink. :rolleyes:

RealG-TFC
08-03-2008, 02:51 PM
I actually think it looks great :(

lol me too

:hide:

LucaGol
08-03-2008, 02:53 PM
Seriously...they look good.

Wagner
08-03-2008, 08:28 PM
will the team be wearing baby blue for Prostate Cancer June 2009???
it's getting silly.
just wear the ribbons like MLB does.
and maybe pink ball as suggested, like how baseball has the Pink Bats.

Our identity is "the reds"
I believe this is more about jersey sales, as I'm guessing they've plateaued now that everyone has one....

Krazy_kid
08-03-2008, 08:58 PM
I can back some of the information that has been said on this thread.

Its definitely a pink TFC jersey (currently, only available for women). Our boys were originally suppose to wear the jersey for breast cancer month (in october) and once or twice before then. This was an MLS and Adidas initiative which TFC decided to partake in

However, my source from adidas said that they dropped the ball and our boys won't be wearing the pink jersey's this year... it will be worn next year

Phil
08-03-2008, 10:08 PM
I would love it if they put their efforts into fixing our current jersey. I am starting to become alergic to cheap ass felt that costs over $100 a shirt.

The training wear is better than the game kits. At this point they could just create a few training kits... oh wait they did that. :wink:

Kickit09
08-04-2008, 12:25 PM
But what's wrong with just wearing an armband?

the problem is MLSE cant sell armbands for over $100 a piece. this has nothing to do with cancer, its a cashgrab. MLSE style.

SLBuu
08-04-2008, 12:27 PM
maybe if our boys wear it they can win a game.....

Krazy_kid
08-04-2008, 12:30 PM
the problem is MLSE cant sell armbands for over $100 a piece. this has nothing to do with cancer, its a cashgrab. MLSE style.

Don't you think Adidas has a MSRP which everyone follows? So don't blame MLSE for having a $100 jersey, if sportchek, national sports, pro image, etc all have it for the same price.... If you don't like the price, you don't have to buy it... but i'm going to guess it to late for that.. you probably already bought one and are now bitching about it

Kickit09
08-04-2008, 12:36 PM
Don't you think Adidas has a MSRP which everyone follows? So don't blame MLSE for having a $100 jersey, if sportchek, national sports, pro image, etc all have it for the same price.... If you don't like the price, you don't have to buy it... but i'm going to guess it to late for that.. you probably already bought one and are now bitching about it

no i didnt buy a pink jersey, and i have no problem with my red jersey or how much it cost... but i do have a problem with selling a pink jersey to people who think its for cancer when i doubt it has anyhing to do with it. I've seen the pink jerseys around already so MLSE is selling them, but i haven herd anything about it being for cancer except from fans who are just assuming it. but nothing official from TFC or MLSE about it. And unless all or almost all profits go to cancer, its a cash grab and they are using cancer to sell jerseys. that i have a problem with.

Krazy_kid
08-04-2008, 02:13 PM
no i didnt buy a pink jersey, and i have no problem with my red jersey or how much it cost... but i do have a problem with selling a pink jersey to people who think its for cancer when i doubt it has anyhing to do with it. I've seen the pink jerseys around already so MLSE is selling them, but i haven herd anything about it being for cancer except from fans who are just assuming it. but nothing official from TFC or MLSE about it. And unless all or almost all profits go to cancer, its a cash grab and they are using cancer to sell jerseys. that i have a problem with.

Currently MLSE, TFC, Adidas, MLS is not promoting the pink jersey for breast cancer. But i'll give you an what was talked about...

There was talk about doing a "pink" program with TFC - which MLSE does with all its teams (they promote breast cancer awareness month at the ACC during october) however, since there is only one home game in october for TFC there was talk to have TFC wear the pink jersey a couple of times (once or twice) leading up to october then again for the game in october. That's why you see the pink ladies tfc jersey. The reason why you don't see the boys in red wearing pink is because adidas (from my source from adidas) said that they had trouble sourcing the pink jersey for the players to wear so they didn't make any pink jersey for the players thus this is why you don't see a men's version of the pink jersey. however, next year you will most likely see the pink jersey for breast cancer

Parkdale
08-05-2008, 11:02 AM
If they did pink scarves, I'd buy one.

I guarantee they would sell more $30 scarves then $100 jerseys,
and the profit margin would be higher (scarves are cheaper to make)
so more of the cash could go to the charity. Plus they'd sell them 10 to 1
over those tacky jerseys.

MG42
08-05-2008, 11:10 AM

Yeah why screw with the kit? Don't the Leafs just use pink hockey sticks? do the Raptors do anything at all? If this was an MLSE-wide thing then it would be a little more understandable IMO

Parkdale
08-05-2008, 11:13 AM
Yeah why screw with the kit? Don't the Leafs just use pink hockey sticks? do the Raptors do anything at all? If this was an MLSE-wide thing then it would be a little more understandable IMO

I think the leafs have done a full pink jersey, and I know the Raps have a full pink jersey for sale at games too. I don't know if they wore them to play, but I have seen both in Center Sports.

ha.... I was doing a google image search and found these two thing:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/JesGolbez/sign.jpg

http://www.allthingshockey.com/sitebuilder/images/HoneyKelliLeafsPink-399x600.jpg

MG42
08-05-2008, 11:16 AM
^ I've seen them for sale too, but have they worn them for league games? I'm not sure.

Parkdale
08-05-2008, 11:20 AM
http://hamptonroads.com/files/images/20401.jpg

^ how about painting the fieldturf pink?

(then we'd have to rip it out after and install real grass)

MG42
08-05-2008, 11:22 AM
^lol that looks terrible! :lol:

Velvet Elvis
08-05-2008, 11:22 AM
however, next year you will most likely see the pink jersey for breast cancer

What about a brown jersey for prostate cancer research ??? :)

:o

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-05-2008, 12:03 PM
The Leafs did pink helmets or something like that, as well as the ribbon, but they never wore pink jerseys during a game.

ilikemusic
08-05-2008, 12:07 PM
The only time the Leafs have worn anything other than blue & white was when they wore the St. Pat's unis back in like 2001.

Im pretty sure all the NHL does for the breast cancer thing is put a sticker of the ribbon on the backs of their helmets. Some guys might use pink sticks too, but theyve never altered their unis.

Jeffro
03-07-2009, 01:25 PM
bump

cementhead
03-07-2009, 02:04 PM
I think the player shits go up for auction as away to make money for breast caner!Did they do that with the pink hockey sticks?

ExiledRed
03-07-2009, 02:45 PM
Information on breast cancer is everywhere—posters, TV, books, benefit concerts, marathons.
Magazines are full of inspiring articles on breast cancer survivors. Support groups, beauty advice, and information for women with breast cancer abound. If women aren't getting checked on time, despite all of this, how will TFC playing in pink shirts make a difference?

If TFC wanted to be seen to do something groundbreaking and important, that would actually raise awareness about an equally important issue, maybe they should be among the first to kick start the equivalent prostate or testicular cancer awareness campaigns that seem to be lacking in the media, and is something that statistically one in eight members of the squad might actually contract in their lifetimes?

This would be infinitely preferable to jumping on an already full bandwagon IMO.

FluSH
03-07-2009, 02:58 PM
Information on breast cancer is everywhere—posters, TV, books, benefit concerts, marathons.
Magazines are full of inspiring articles on breast cancer survivors. Support groups, beauty advice, and information for women with breast cancer abound. If women aren't getting checked on time, despite all of this, how will TFC playing in pink shirts make a difference?

If TFC wanted to be seen to do something groundbreaking and important, that would actually raise awareness about an equally important issue, maybe they should be among the first to kick start the equivalent prostate or testicular cancer awareness campaigns that seem to be lacking in the media, and is something that statistically one in eight members of the squad might actually contract in their lifetimes?

This would be infinitely preferable to jumping on an already full bandwagon IMO.

T.H.A.N.K. Y.O.U.

This should be posted on the homepage... how about we do prostate cancer awareness.. or Lupus... or somthing else FFS.

Shway
03-07-2009, 03:16 PM
^^yea and make the jersey black, with red and gray .....
that would be a great sale, and it would sale and proceeds go to prostate?

on a side note WHY THE HELL does the jersey have to be pink for it to go to breast cancer , just make a third jersey and give the proceeds to donation.

mclaren
03-07-2009, 04:41 PM
I don't think the team could just wear a completely different colour for a game, even if it is for a good cause. You certainly couldn't do this in a European league. The team has designated kits and can only wear them.

Don Julio
03-07-2009, 04:47 PM
Only 60-odd percent of breast cancer patients survive for 20 years compared to 90% for testicular cancer and 82% for prostate cancer. That's a big difference.

drewski
03-07-2009, 04:51 PM
The Toronto Rock have a charity game every year with a special one off jersey that are auctioned off during the game, with all the proceeds going to a cancer charities (Les' Fund, named after the coach who won us a lot of championship but succumbed to cancer himself). As an added bonus, the winners get to go on the floor right after the game to literally get the jersey's off the players backs,

Heart and stroke is another big charity that covers a wide range of diseases that affect a lot of people.

dantdot
03-07-2009, 04:51 PM
Gentlemen please, think of the boobies.

ThunderTundra
03-07-2009, 04:57 PM
The Thunderwolves hockey team (Lakehead University) has a prostate awareness jersey that they wear for one game a season usually during the Varsity Cup. It is a throwback looking jersey and they have a patch on the arm of prostate man (a local prostate awareness thing) Then they all sign them after the game and auction them to the community.

They put out about 100 jerseys after the game as well to purchase. I think a limited edition thing like that would work, but not a full time sale of them.

Daveisonfire
03-08-2009, 06:21 PM
I think the player shits go up for auction as away to make money for breast caner!Did they do that with the pink hockey sticks?

:lol:

Ladies Love Julius James
03-08-2009, 06:25 PM
Whatever happened to the pink ribbon or arm band. Heck in the MLB they do pink bats and it still is classy. Wearing a pink kit, I'd pass.

Damien
03-08-2009, 06:46 PM
As long as they don't bring in the singer (Pink)...
http://www.cbc.ca/arts/images/pics/Pink1.jpg

...or i'm going postal.

Nuvinho
03-08-2009, 06:47 PM
Whatever happened to the pink ribbon or arm band. Heck in the MLB they do pink bats and it still is classy. Wearing a pink kit, I'd pass.

pink soccer ball!!! :eek:

They could use a pink ball. I got one for a friend of mine, she uses it for co-ed soccer.

Or

How about a black uniform with a pink ribbon patch on the front. I think guys would even buy those.

Cashcleaner
03-08-2009, 06:48 PM
The shirt looks hideous (pink and red clash don't they? I'm no expert...Damiiano? :D )

I think that any time you can raise money for charity, its a good thing. But this breast cancer thing seems to be more about marketing and branding than it actually is about the charity anymore.

Of course, you can't say that because that makes you heartless and means you don't care about cancer victims right? wrong.

The pink is cheese, they could have played with a pink ball or something instead of making our jersey look stupid.

Agreed with pretty much all you're saying. Though I still don't believe the team is ever going to wear these on the field. Like you said, it seems more and more like breast cancer awareness is becoming less an organization devoted to charity and more toward its own hubris.

Derko
03-08-2009, 08:32 PM

Go Fuck yourself, I have lost 2 sister in-laws to Breast Cancer and 1 diagnosed and beat it because of the fundraising , and I have 2 daughters, don't be so Fucking Cynical!! Take it for what it is meant to be. I hope you are never in that position you have to watch it happen.

Derko
03-08-2009, 08:37 PM
My apologies for flying off the handle, It's just personal that's all.

Cheers

TorontoBlades
03-08-2009, 09:11 PM
Am I tripping out here???

Didn't any of you see this jersey everywhere last year. I knew that TFC was supposed to wear these for every home game in October for breast cancer month - I thought this was common knowledge since last year....wierd...

jwfm1985
03-08-2009, 10:25 PM
I'm shocked and pretty disappointed with what some of you are saying on this topic. Can we all please complain about something different?

jwfm1985
03-08-2009, 10:32 PM
Anyway, I don't see the problem is except for other fans making fun of us and calling us gay for wearing pink. :rolleyes:

yeh, god forbid they call us gay...

jwfm1985
03-08-2009, 10:37 PM

Agreed, the scarves would be a great idea. I dont really care if it is for; breast, prostate, colon, etc. cancer... still a great cause and TFC should do their part. Saying MLSE is in this for the cash makes me sick. By the way some of you talk you would think adolf hitler ran the club. I have been pretty impressed with what they have been doing over the past month and think credit needs to be given where credit is due

zeelaw
03-08-2009, 11:20 PM
Mebe its for Breast Cancer or something.