PDA

View Full Version : Joshua Kloke's Article Today

Areathrasher
06-29-2018, 08:00 PM
It's paywalled so i'm not going to post it in its entirety, but, here's a snapshot of concerning quotes....

The Athletic has learned that some players have begun to complain about feeling “overworked” and that they believe more days off are necessary to recuperate from what has already been a longer than normal season.
“The cracks are beginning to show,” said a source.

A sense of malaise has taken over many players and some veteran players who were once counted on to try and steer the club with vocal enthusiasm have since, according to one source, “grown silent.”
“They’re shocked they can’t close out games,” said the source. “They’re speechless.”
To wit, the loss of Altidore and Moor has been felt off the pitch as much as it has on it. Altidore’s last MLS appearance was March 30 and Moor’s was April 14. In the dressing room, both players have been known to bring a constant sense of positivity to their approach. And in their absence, many young players are sorely missing Altidore and Moor’s optimism.

Frustrations boiled over after TFC’s last win, a 2-0 result over the Philadelphia Union on June 8. During the match, captain Michael Bradley was visibly angered with midfielder Ager Aketxe’s positional errors. According to a source, that frustration continued post-match with a heated argument between Bradley and Aketxe that required Victor Vazquez to step in, as Bradley was insistent that Aketxe must be more aware of the team’s movement around him.

Frustrations regarding TFC’s performance have not led to any physical altercations within the team, but one member of the organization wondered if a falling out at the training ground could “create a spark.”

portu
06-29-2018, 08:24 PM
It's paywalled so i'm not going to post it in it's entirety, but, heres a snapshot of concerning quotes....

holy shit, they can't even get along after a win. this is bad.

ensco
06-29-2018, 09:07 PM
You know what? Of course they are in turmoil. They are champions. They are all pissed off.

Tell me something I don’t know.

Og said it in the game thread. We are with them, they will sort it out.

backbeat
06-29-2018, 10:12 PM
Frankly, I'd be more shocked if there wasn't discord in the locker room...they will overcome...i believe....

notthesun
06-30-2018, 02:43 AM
More or less as you might expect for a top team under-performing like we have.

Though the tidbit about Aketxe, sheesh man, we gotta move on from him. For both our and his sake.

OgtheDim
06-30-2018, 06:42 AM
Thanks for posting that.

For those interested here's the link. https://theathletic.com/412599/2018/06/29/frustration-continues-to-build-for-toronto-fc-as-veterans-have-grown-silent/

Of course they are feeling overworked, they haven't had a proper break since last summer. They had 8 days for the World Cup - some teams had 3 weeks. The usual squad rotation could not happen due to injuries.

Not much that can be done about that. They have 1 week off in September. Until then, they have to get through this.

shwade
06-30-2018, 10:59 AM
Pretty unsurprising. Of course they're gassed...been saying this since the CCL knockout stages...they've essentially been going HAM since the beginning of last season. CCL took a massive toll on the players with no real break from last season.

Its not easy but i'm fine with this season being a write off if thats the case and then the FO has some serious moves to make this summer and before next season.

Carter
06-30-2018, 09:05 PM
it's paywalled so i'm not going to post it in its entirety, but, here's a snapshot of concerning quotes....

fake news!

TFC1986
06-30-2018, 09:52 PM
Pretty unsurprising. Of course they're gassed...been saying this since the CCL knockout stages...they've essentially been going HAM since the beginning of last season. CCL took a massive toll on the players with no real break from last season.

Its not easy but i'm fine with this season being a write off if thats the case and then the FO has some serious moves to make this summer and before next season.

I felt originally this is good for our players on a global scale. We become a more noticeable brand like La Galaxy. Then be able to attract high quality talent to a winning team. Or even sell our talent to a European team for good money

Auzzy
07-01-2018, 02:07 AM
fake news!

Not sure if you're joking, or do you have any info that the article's info is incorrect?

portu
07-01-2018, 03:32 AM
I think the biggest issue is that there is now a rat (or rats) in the dressing room. Someone on this team has broken the inherent trust of his teammates by revealing this stuff, especially Bradley flipping his shit on Aketxe.

Carter
07-01-2018, 06:10 AM
Not sure if you're joking, or do you have any info that the article's info is incorrect?
It all started out as a joke, I appreciate Area’s opinion always has a great position and brings a different look to things..

His quoting on certain portions of the article, was :troll: on the most epic of levels. If you’ve read the article, you know it isn’t nearly as damning as he has posted (yes it’s unfortunate and completely agree with Portu on the rat issue) thought it a good opportunity to make light of a situation... sorry that I offended you by calling out fake news.. :troll: :poke:

Areathrasher
07-01-2018, 06:33 AM
It all started out as a joke, I appreciate Area’s opinion always has a great position and brings a different look to things..

His quoting on certain portions of the article, was :troll: on the most epic of levels. If you’ve read the article, you know it isn’t nearly as damning as he has posted (yes it’s unfortunate and completely agree with Portu on the rat issue) thought it a good opportunity to make light of a situation... sorry that I offended you by calling out fake news.. :troll: :poke:

What? I absolutely wasn't trolling. I have a sub for the athletic and don't feel right copying the whole thing. I posted it purely because there wasnt much reaction to the article either here or on twitter (prob cos its paywalled lol)

FYI - It's all talked about in the latest episode of the reds report https://redsreport.podbean.com/e/shattered-in-new-york/

ensco
07-01-2018, 07:27 AM
I get how that Philly game was a cause of friction.

We have had a bunch of games that we should have won but lost. That's life. But that was a game wher we stunk, we should have lost but won. Only Philly's inability to convert about 5 great chances saved us.

You often have a better opportunity to send a message as a coach (or as a captain) after a win than you do after a loss.

Carter
07-01-2018, 07:48 AM
What? I absolutely wasn't trolling. I have a sub for the athletic and don't feel right copying the whole thing. I posted it purely because there wasnt much reaction to the article either here or on twitter (prob cos its paywalled lol)

FYI - It's all talked about in the latest episode of the reds report https://redsreport.podbean.com/e/shattered-in-new-york/
I understand, but there is more to the story, which is explained AFTER the quotes you put in your post. There is comments made on how much is missed by not having Drew and Jozy in the locker room and what optimism and banter they bring.

Frustrations come with professional sports, it’s not a secret Bradley was pissed at Ager, but again, comments made AFTER the ones you posted sheds more light onto the entire situation.

The article is well written, in its entirety, but posting just snapshots that fit the narrative you are seeking to spin, isn’t much different than the way “fake news” works.

Areathrasher
07-01-2018, 06:15 PM
The positivity moor and jozy bring is noted in the snapshots I took

James17930
07-01-2018, 07:05 PM
What I don't understand is ... even if Jozy and Moor are hurt, can't they still go in the locker room? Can't they still hang out with the team and participate with discussions?

Carter
07-01-2018, 08:01 PM
Similar to the silence of Gio and Ager’s Inability to adjust to the league..
Kam said it best, it looks like this team is stuck in Guadalajara.